Speaker 1: This show is produced and hosted by Mark Webber. The show is sponsored by G three of Parol. I view's expressed in the following program are those of the sponsor and not necessarily the opinion of seven tenor or iHeartMedia. Who is Mark Webber. He's a self made business executive here to help you find your success from the New York City projects to the Avenue Montaigne in Paris. His global success story in the luxury world of fashion is inspirational. He's gone from clerk to CEO twice. Mark is classic proof that the American dream is alive. And well, here's your host of Always in Fashion, Mark Weber.
Speaker 2: Mark Weber. I've been thinking maybe it's time we all just shut up now. I recognize that's one of the most insulting statements you can make to any individual, particularly without curse words. I'm not concerned, though, because I'm telling this collective body of all of us, just shut up. Do you hear yourselves? It's embarrassing, it's dangerous, it's stupidity beyond belief. What has happened to us? Our speech patterns are flawed by the you knows, you know, you know every sentence he comes out of your mouth. You know, you know, you know. Then if you're not doing that, it's so. And then of course it's penetrating our every conversation, every sentence. And on top of that, we're a divided nation. We're waiting for a travesty to unite us. A former president has escaped assassination twice in two months. Few, if any, are expressing outrage, let alone concern. If that's not enough, we have two presidential candidates. When they open their mouths, all you get is nonsense. We have two major wars. No one's talking to one another to bring them to an end. People are dying. Donald Trump said it. He wants to come into the first day in office wars. People are dying. You don't care what side. People are dying, young men, young women, They're dying. Free speech is under attack. If you don't agree with the loudest voice, you don't get to talk, and if you do, there are repercussions. Every narrative is spun. The impossible has happened. There are versions of the truth. There are no versions of the truth, but there are now Somehow the phrase can I be honest with you? Has penetrated our culture does that signify that everything else you say is a lie. You have to have the skills of a prosecuting attorney to get a straight answer. Now, enough, shut up. It's time for the silent treatment. It's time for the strong silent type. I'm concerned. As Jack Nicholson said, you can't handle the truth, and the truth is we're in a mouthstorm of incompetent communicators. It's time to rethink what we say. You need game, you need honesty, less is more, Know what you're talking about, think what you say, or make it simple. Just shut up. We don't need to hear from you now. In all of life, I try to avoid politics. I'm a recluse. I try to avoid celebrity downfalls. I'm a recluse. I tried to avoid the news. It's no longer news, it's commentary, it's opinions. I'm a recluse. I try to avoid fashion that tasteless have taken over. I don't want to look I'm a recluse. Having said that, the problem is, I don't even know if I'm saying the word right. Is it recluse or a recluse. I'm gonna say recluse. Now I'm part of society. You can't avoid the dumbing down of America. And I'm on the radio and podcast, I'm a host. How can I avoid it? My show business, cultural and lifestyle A statement I have to observe in life and report. Enough said. I would be the first to follow my own advice and shut up Mark, But I can't. Now Tonight, some straightforward talk on how to talk and joining me my lawyer, My calls my son Jesse Weber.
Speaker 3: Hello, La, Hello, Wow, you're on a especially big tear tonight. The truth is, you're right, You're right. I can't deny what you're saying. You know how many times people say you know so you know I'm guilty of it too. I'm guilty of it too.
Speaker 4: But I hear your frustration. I hear your frustration.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we can't even get straight answers out of our politicians more than others. I think everybody could make their own judgment about that. But I'll tell you what a what a week it's been. I've never been so busy. Who knew there'd be so much law to talk about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's going on in the world right now is crazy. I mentioned some of the things, but the mayor now of New York City has been in. Oh boy, we have Diddy, who's a public enemy number one. We have was ranging, we have assassination attempts going on. What's going on?
Speaker 3: I mean, where do you want to start? I gotta say Eric Adams. Now, when he came to office, I was skeptical, right, I was skeptical of a few things, but I I thought he had the intent to do the right thing, and especially coming after Deblasio, I was looking at I was looking forward to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anything after Deblasio. Although I must say I was rooting for Curtis Sleewar, our friend from Wabcity.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: He was always been a straight shooter, has always helped the city, and I kind of wanted to see him get into office.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had Eric Adams, you know, former police. He's taken some positions that are great. He's taken some positions not so great. But I will tell you, I don't care who the mayor is. To wake up and find out that he has been criminally charged for corruption, for bribery, for accepting illegal campaign contributions, for taking gifts that he didn't disclose, for essentially being Oh my gosh, a puppet of the Turkish government or Turkish business officials is really really not only.
Speaker 4: Embarrassing, it's upsetting.
Speaker 3: It's upsetting as a New Yorker to see this.
Speaker 2: And if it's true, is there any explanation for it.
Speaker 3: It's tough because it's not one thing to say, hey, I receive these minor benefits.
Speaker 4: He didn't even disclose it.
Speaker 3: One of the things that was happening over the past ten months is they were collecting a lot of people's cell phones, and this indictment. You see conversations. The conversations are about hotel rooms and flights where he's not paying the full price of a flight or a hotel room. And the question is why if he could provide some sort of legitimate explanation, if he could say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, New York City to come to Turkey.
Speaker 3: Problem with that is he decided to streamline the building of a Turkish consulate that was against safety regulations. So this is as he's receiving benefits. I mean, the fact that he didn't disclose what he was receiving is problematic. The fact that he allegedly didn't put down on the campaign finance form what he was supposed to put down as a considered fraud. And when you talk about the charges that he's facing, one could be five years, one could be twenty years. So how much he wants to fight this versus take a deal and we'll see what the evidence is. But right now he has turned this into a political argument. He has said that they're coming after me, The federal government's coming after me.
Speaker 4: They have a target on my back.
Speaker 3: It sounds so much like Donald Trump, and yet he's a Democrat, and he was saying things that were arguably against the Biden administration, and we're arguably against the Democratic mission. He took a hardline stance on immigration, blaming the Biden administration. Some speculate that they're only coming after him because of that. I think that's a little hogwash. I think these are real charges. The Feds are not going to come after you unless they have something, and clearly they have built up quite the case against him.
Speaker 4: It's just disappointing to say so.
Speaker 2: He's in serious trouble.
Speaker 3: From your perspective, it's almost like a classic case of corruption that you see in the movies or comic books. It's like Gotham City, It's like the mayor who was on the take. That's what he's being accused of.
Speaker 4: Is the first.
Speaker 3: Mayor in New York City history to be criminally indicted while in office.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: What's the ten million dollars that they claim he benefited or it took.
Speaker 3: So the way that I understand it is that he used straw donations, secret donations, not what they were supposed to be, covering it up because what he would receive would apply for the city's matching funds programs. So it gives political candidates public funds to match small donations. Remember New York City residents, they might not be able to donate as much money as they can, so there's this program put in place that would match it. And because he allegedly was not being truthful about these donations and was engaging in fraud, he reaped over ten million dollars in matching funds based on these.
Speaker 2: False for his campaign, not for his pocket.
Speaker 4: Correct for the campaign.
Speaker 2: Hmmm.
Speaker 4: Really, that's bad. That's bad. That's bad.
Speaker 2: I liked him. I'm sorry to hear it. What else we got? What else are you on this week? Doing?
Speaker 3: All Shawn Combs, All Shawn Combs, everything of what's going on with him?
Speaker 2: Is he in trouble?
Speaker 4: He's in very serious trouble.
Speaker 3: I think with sex trafficking and racketeering charges where you're basically accused of operating a criminal organization, Yeah, I'd say he's in trouble. And I've spoken to a lot of analysts who believe that this is just the start that he's going to be hit with an amended indictment with more charges that might include miners.
Speaker 2: How come it comes out all of a sudden and it's a flood of information.
Speaker 3: It could be that everybody knew that it was an open secret, but nobody wanted to come forward. They were afraid they would be implicated. They were afraid of Shawn Combs. But remember what started this. What started this was all of those civil lawsuits that were filed against him starting last year. And if it wasn't for those lawsuits, this probably wouldn't have had happened. And it's a remarkable thing to say, because if this was going on since they claim two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, why he's being charged with this in twenty twenty four is.
Speaker 4: A very fair question.
Speaker 3: And by the way, the United States Attorney who is prosecuting this case was asked that question and did not have a satisfactory answer.
Speaker 4: He couldn't explain why.
Speaker 2: Changing the subject one more time? Am I crazy? I said earlier that no one seems to care that former President Trump was almost assassinated twice? Am I being too strong?
Speaker 4: It's not in the news as much as it should be.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're talking about not only attempted assassination of a former president the current Republican candidate, but two times, two times in the course of what sixty days.
Speaker 4: Now there's a little bit of news. There's a little bit of news.
Speaker 3: All the secret service failures are coming to light. The guy who tried to allegedly shoot him in Florida has now been charged with attempted assassination.
Speaker 4: So there's been some news.
Speaker 3: By the way, you want to have a little fun debate with me about something, go ahead. I had this back and forth. This guy's charged with attempted assassination. Remember the fact pattern here, he's waiting for Donald Trump to come onto the next hole. He's set up with the rifle he's looking through. He doesn't have Donald Trump and his crosshairs. What happens is a secret Service agent comes to the next hole and starts scouting the area, and that's when he sees the shooter. They engage in gunfire. Okay, I was talking to a defense attorney. He says, I can prove that that was an attempted assassination because Donald Trump wasn't in his crosshairs, he wasn't about to shoot. I'm like, that's a stretch. He was set up, he was ready to go. That's attempted assassinate, no question that right. I think it's an attempt Now he's like, it has to be has to be a little bit further that you would just attempted to try to kill the former president.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, that's a stretch.
Speaker 2: But anyway, when you said there were exchange gunfire, I thought only the Secret Service shot it.
Speaker 3: That's correct, Yes, correct, the Secret Service only shot Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: As I said, I am taken aback by what people are saying. I'm taking aback by what they're not saying. I am shocked at the spin and the nonsense and everything going on. I don't want to talk about these things, but you have to. That's your job. But tonight's show is really about words, shutting up, worst thing you could say to a person. My gosh, if I ever said shut up to someone, there's no coming back from that.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, You've never said shut up to somebody?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course I have, but I've regretted it. I've learned that it's one of the most terrible things you could do. You're never forgiven. People might say you are, but it's something that you really should avoid. So tonight I took the collective and I said shut up. And that's where we're going. Take a break, we'll be back. We got some things to talk about.
Speaker 4: Always in fashion.
Speaker 2: As one of the world's most celebrated fashion designers, Carl Lagafeld was renowned for his aspirational and cutting edge approach to style. His unique vision of Parisian shit comes to America through Carlagofeld Paris Women's collections, men's collections, ready to wear, accessory, shoes and bags. The fashion house Carlagofil also offers a range of watches I wear in premium fragrances. You can explore the car Lagophil collection at carlagophilpowers dot com. But it's more than that. I, for one, love to shop. I love going around and seeing what's happening and what catches my attention, what would make me feel good to wear now. I don't wear the women's wear obviously, but I can appreciate it, and they look amazing. If you want to look right, you want to have clothes that fits you well. You want to look like you're wearing something that's very expensive, that's exclusive for you and yours. You can find it at very affordable prices at Macy's Orcarlagofel dot com Paris. The women's ready to wear fashion is extraordinary, as well as the handbags and the shoes. I, for one, wear men's clothes, unlike my appreciation of women's clothes. I'm a modern guy. I want to look current. I want to look the way I want to feel. I go out at night, I'm in black and Carl Lagafel is my buddy. Calls are great, they fit great, and they have little tweaks and touches, whether it's a stripe on the sleeve or button at the neck or on the shoulder. There's a lot of details that go into Carl Lagafel because he's always been, he always had been one of the world's great designers. And this legacy and goes on and on. I can't speak enough about it except to say to you, you want to feel good about yourself. You want to know that you're dressing properly. You want to clothes that fits you well. Carl Lagafeld, Paris at Macy's Orcarl Lagafel dot com. A favorite brand has always been ISOD. My company at one time bought that brand. The CEO of the company handed it to me and said, you better make it work. And I put everything in my career to make Isaod work, and I fell in love with that brand, and to this day it is one of the most exciting endeavors I've ever gotten involved with. Isod is an incredibly strong golf brand. If you play golf, if you play tennis for that matter. They make a great polo shirts. I mean great. They're fit perfect. The material is unique because it's a PK fabric that waffle weave, you see, and it's made of a blend of cotton and microfiber that allows you to stretch. And very often they are treated with solar protection as well, so they stretch, they're comfortable, and they breathe well. And one thing about Isaac they always fit. They'll never tug on you. You put it in your waist, they'll fit you great. The colors, patterns are sensational. Now I will also tell you Isaac makes great shorts and great golf pants. You're a golfer and you want to look good. You don't have to think about how do I look. You want to think about how you play, not how you feel. Isaad is the brand for you. I know I was there when it was created. The strategy behind that brand is brilliant. It's one of my favorite brands. While I talk about it, I should tell you about the men's sportswear. ISOD wasn't enough being a golf brand. It wasn't enough being just great polo shirts with logos, without logos, incredible branded story and history. ISOD makes salt weather programs. They have great printed woven shirts, short sleeves that look excellent with colors, excellent with shorts, excellent with cotton pants, of which they also make. This whole salt order relaxed line from Iso, whether it be fleece, cotton sweaters, knit polos, woven shirts and pants of a range of colors and fabrics that are perfect for a guy wants to go casually in the spring and summer of this year. And here's the thing. Isod is affordable. Everyone listening to me talk about this brand can afford to buy it and know that there are a lot of other brands that also have a look like ISOD. Although I don't believe it's fun as Eyesida is. The brand has a lot of energy in it, but at the price points no one can compete. You can find eyes On at your leading retails and online at isid dot com. Talk to you, lady guys. I wish you. I'm very happy spring in summer, and I help you by telling you if you were isaid, you're going to look great.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to it, always in fashion. Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about what's happening in our country, let alone the world. The things that are being said today are so dastardly, so disrespectful, so untrue that it's making me collectively crazy for all of society. And if society is listening to me tonight on the show, I have a favorite ass. Shut up, you're not value added. Shut up. There's too much spin, too much nonsense, too much everything words matter, and how we use them matter and I want her to talk about that tonight. I think Laura Ingram had it right. You might not like it, and you might not like what she said, and she took a lot of heat for it when she was referring to Lebron James after he made a political statement and she said to him, shut up and dribble. I thought that was great, It's true. Then we have Taylor Swift. I have to say I'm a big fan of Taylor Swift. I don't know very many of her songs. If I know three of them, it's a lot. But I like what she represents. She's as independent, single woman who's carved out a career, became a billionaire. She has followers, she has people admire she's an incredible songwriter. I really really admire what she's done. And on top of it, she's beautiful, well dressed, put together and I like her. But Taylor Swift came out for Kamala Harris and she lost twenty seven million followers in one day. Shut up and sing that. You know. They say a picture's worth of foul and words, and I think some of the most iconic pictures that are ever taken and seen by all of us, like the raising of the American flag and ewon GiMA, Japan, signifying the Americans took over the island. They one the one of the most hardfought battles in World War Two. Muhammed Ali his hands up high in the air, taunting Sonny, listening to get up from being knocked down in a fight with him. Recently, Donald Trump's assassination photo, blood streaming from his ear, his fist held high and he's yelling fight. And then on a personal note, there was a picture of a globe. Jesse works at news Nation. This is an up and coming network news network that you would know it from. Chris Como's one of the anchors, Dan Abrams, one of the anchors, Elizabeth Vargas, and lastly bad for Thank You Jesse and Jesse works then there. He's the legal contributor to News Nation and he's also a host that fills He does a great job. He's so good at I'm so I don't know. I don't use the word proud when I talk about you guys, my sons. Maybe I am proud. I'm more relieved at how good you are, how confident you are, how great you look and how comfortable you are.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I would like proud, I'll take proud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like Maybe that's how I feel. But anyway, watching you guys talk and watching what you do on there is amazing. And then one day I said, you know what, I'm going to come up and watch you record and do the show and host Dan Abrams. And I walk in and I see this building and all these photos in the building, and all of a sudden, it brings back memories. When I was nine years old, my father took me to the Daily News where he worked. He was a print and he worked for the Daily News, and there were the pictures of the Daily News, and right in the center of the building this this tremendous globe. And that's when I remembered I had been in that building with my father taking me to work. And what an indelible picture it left with me. It's my whole childhood right there. And sure enough, Jesse's working in that building. And what a turn of events. It was amazing and brought up so many memories, and it got me thinking, you know, I'm an industry where icons represent a huge portion. Now icons can be people, but I'm talking about logos, and I started to think about logos and how they represent people and company ideas without saying a word. And these logos, whether they're in business in life, speak louder than words, and in this case, a picture, a logo speaks a thousand words. All right, Jesse, here's what I want to do. I want to give you a logo, just a logo without the name of the company. See if you know what the logo is, and then tell me what it means to you that brand. Okay, this is a woman in a green circle. She looks like a mermaid.
Speaker 4: Yep, at Starbucks, right you.
Speaker 2: Are now when you look at it, or when you think of Starbucks without saying a word, because that's what we're talking about, the lack of talk. Shut up. What does Starbucks tell you by looking at that logo?
Speaker 4: Coffee?
Speaker 3: I mean it means like a very popular coffee lurering people in.
Speaker 2: That's my uh all right, why don't you ask me one?
Speaker 4: All right? So I'm gonna put this one up. So it's got an A with.
Speaker 3: A orange arrow, this orange curved arrow at.
Speaker 4: The bottom of it.
Speaker 2: What is Amazon?
Speaker 4: Amazon? There you go?
Speaker 2: So you see that logo right away? Do you know I know what that means? I don't know if everybody knows this mean. I don't know if you know that. Do you know that that arrow represents that the company carries every product from A to Z.
Speaker 4: Really I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I didn't either, but I found it out because I bought this stock. But when I think of Amazon, I think about any product you could possibly want delivered to your house painlessly. That's what they're basically doing without saying a word. And that's what I like about this exercise. Let's give you another one. Okay, three stripes.
Speaker 3: Those three stripes, I know immediately it's Adidas. It's so synonymous with the company, easily identifiable.
Speaker 2: And when you think of Adidas, you think.
Speaker 3: I think athletic shoes, athletes, athleticism.
Speaker 2: Just shoes, not the rest of this stuff.
Speaker 3: I think of the rest of the stuff, but my mind first goes to shoes.
Speaker 4: What about you?
Speaker 2: Well, I think of it as a lifestyle brand that has everything that is in good taste.
Speaker 3: So this next one's mind can't imagine you're going to know what this is, but it looks like somebody took a bite out of a cartoon apple.
Speaker 4: What could this be.
Speaker 2: It's Apple's logo, one of the most recognizable logos in the world. And here's the point I'm making with all this talk and gobblygook that we have gone on in this world, the point where I'm telling everybody to shut up. There is ways to communicate without being jerks. Here is a logo that speaks to a company that is the most highly profitable company in the world, the most important company in the world in many respects. It's changed our life. It brought us to a new century. It put every single thing in that in the palm of our hand that we could possibly want to know. It's amazing, and that logo does it without saying a word. All right, having one for you now, this one has the company's name in so I'm sure you're going to recognize it, but I want you to tell me after you say of course, and you'll laugh at me, what that name represents to you when you see it. The logo is a script version of Disney.
Speaker 4: Oh light Weight, Let me let me think.
Speaker 3: Ah, Sony is it Sony though?
Speaker 4: Walt Disney Company? My gosh.
Speaker 3: Okay, So when I love that logo, one of my favorite logos I love the script of the d reminds me of my childhood, remind me of cartoons, imagination wonder. I think it's such a fantastic logo, one of the best. And who doesn't know it? How many people across this world know Disney. I always loved the one that had the Disney with the.
Speaker 4: Magic Kingdom in the background, the Magic Kingdom Castle.
Speaker 2: But what does that company represent when you see you hear Disney without saying a word to you, What does it say to you?
Speaker 4: Imagination?
Speaker 2: Okay, I would have set a place to be happy. But they're both great.
Speaker 4: Too, all right, So I'm going to give you another one right now.
Speaker 3: I will tell you. I think the colors of this logo are so unique.
Speaker 2: But oh, just tell me the colors. Maybe I'll get it from that.
Speaker 3: Purple and orange FedEx. Really you got it that quickly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, purple and orange FedEx. I'm in the fashion.
Speaker 4: Business, fed X. What do you think about FedEx?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 4: What does it mean to you when you see FedEx?
Speaker 2: The greatest delivery company in the world. No matter what you're waiting for, no matter what you want, no matter what you want to send, FedEx is going to get it there. It's going to get it there quick and reliably. And just think about what I just said, no words are spoken. Look how effective that is. It's amazing. If I said to you now here, here's one for you recent fame. If one with five circles, each in a different color, interlocking.
Speaker 4: Oh, the Olympics, of course.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, That to me symbolizes all different colors, all different countries, all united together for this one thing.
Speaker 4: That's what I look at when I see this. They're linked together.
Speaker 3: Now some would say like the Greek Games, right, certain parts of the Greek Games.
Speaker 4: But that's how I see it.
Speaker 2: Interesting how you can say that. How and yeah, I'm with you. It makes me happy. And I like what you just said about the world being united. I'll give you another one. It's yellow. It looks like an m.
Speaker 4: McDonald's, the Golden arches.
Speaker 2: What does that say to you? Hamburgers, just hamburgers.
Speaker 4: Mostly hamburgers.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not looking at it and thinking fish filet okay, But now, hey, you know hamburgers, chicken nuggets, French fries, right, French fries is a big one. By the way, I don't remember the last time I had McDonald's. It might have been ten fifteen years ago.
Speaker 2: I've had it on nights that I haven't had time to go to eat where I want, or I'm in a hurry. I've had the spicy chicken sandwich, and.
Speaker 4: That's good, very good. That's really good, very good.
Speaker 3: All right, So this next one is a circle with three points three almost looks like a triangle inside, but three points. It's a circle with three points inside of it.
Speaker 2: It's silver Mercedes.
Speaker 4: That's right, Mercedes.
Speaker 2: Good. Yes, yeah, this is this. Well again, I'm making a point without speaking. People are making statements. When I think of Mercedes, I think about German engineering, and I think about great cars, and I think that's the point I want to make. Tonight's show really is cold. Shut up, and I want everybody to shut up because we're ruining the world collectively. But I'm thinking about the fact that you can be very powerful with using less words and in this case, less logos. I have a great story I read about. It had to do with Albert Einstein and Charlie Chaplin, and they were together an event back in nineteen thirty or something. Einstein said to Charlie Chaplin, you say nothing, because Charlie Chaplin was a silent film star. He said, you say nothing and universality everyone understands what you're saying. Amazing. And then Chaplin said, you say what's important. Everyone admires you, but no one understands what you're saying. H clever. And the point is, everybody out there, we got a lot of problems. We talk too much, we say the wrong things. We're in the wrong place. It's time to regroup and learn how to speak. And maybe, just maybe you just should shut up if you don't know what you want to say and you don't want to say it right back in a minute.
Speaker 3: Always in fashion, I.
Speaker 2: Spent a lifetime of my career building the van usen Brand, and I am so pleased that they're back with us now talking about suits. Men were dressing up again, and it's become cool to wear a suit. Suits can be won on multiple occasions in multiple ways. You could wear a suit formally to go out at night or to an event, wear a suit to the office with or without a tie. If you look closely, now fashion trends, suits are being worn with turtlenecks or mark next. The choices are endless, and every one of them looks right. You could really really look the part. I believe that packaging yourself is as important as products you package, and wearing a suit is one of those things that make men look their best. Venuesing invented a new idea. It's called the cool Flex suit. It's been engineered with stretch technology, giving you the most comfortable fit and mobility. It's wrinkle resistant fabric, it's cool moisture wicki it makes it perfect for all occasions. As we discussed just now, this new style of looking sharp while feeling cool and comfortable is amazing and I'm so excited that the ven Using company is involved in this new technology and is embracing the whole idea of dressing up. Let's not forget Venues and made it's name with dress shirts. It's only proper that the suit business follows strongly in its way. You can find van Ues in cool Flex Men's stretch suits at jcpenny are online at jcpenny dot com. Guys, they're great. You should go look at them. Dkn Why Donna Karen, New York. Donna Karen began a career as one of the finest, most successful, powerful women in the fashion industry. She developed a collection aimed at the luxury market for women on the go, women who were powerful in their workplace, women who had lives that extended beyond the workplace, and her clothes went from day and to night. An extraordinary collection. But the interesting thing Donna Karen had a young daughter, and she had friends and they couldn't afford to buy the Donna Karen collection. And Donna invented DK NY Donna Aaron, New York. It's an offshoot of the Donna Karen Collection. The same concept a lifestyle brand. Now we talk about lifestyle brands, what does that really mean? Simply what they say, there are brands that follow you throughout your lifestyle. You get up in the morning, you start to get dressed Donna Karen decaan why as intimate apparel, as hosiery, as all those products. You're getting dressed for work. You get accessorized shoes, handbags, and it takes you through the day. The remarkable thing about DK and Y clothes for work. They work into the eva, the dresses, the suits, the pants, the sweaters, the blouses, extraordinary clothes at affordable prices that go from day in tonight. Part of your lifestyle is active. You have weekends, you have events, you participate in sports. Donna Karen's casual Clothes did that under the dk and Y label. A vast array of casual sportswear that make women look great as they navigate their busy lives. Whether you going to soccer games for your children, or whether you're going out to the movies, whatever you want to do, dkn Y Jeans, dc HY Sportswear is there for you. That's what a lifestyle brand is. And I need to mention DKY active Wear, which is extraordinary, the leggings, the sports bras, the sweats. You can wear DKY active Wear, certainly in the gym, certainly when you're working out at home, and certainly if you want on the street, because it's that well done. The quality of dk why is nothing short of exceptional. And why shouldn't it be because it was born from the idea of luxury made affordable for women of America. DKAY and Why a true lifestyle brand that takes you from day and tonight, from the week into the weekend. DCN Why You can find DCN Why and Macy's DKY dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Always in Fashion. Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 2: I'm frustrated. For want of a better word, it's not a word I'm used to frustrated. I'm more angry. I'm better being angry than frustrated people, all of us saying the wrong things, being dishonest, not speaking about what's important, putting a spin on everything we say, outright lying asking can I be honest with you? I can go on and on and on. The political situation in the world. Two wars are raging, and nobody's even talking about letting go, trying to stop it. Really angry, and I thought about how could the world be a better place? And I said to myself, everybody would just shut up and stop talking. I started thinking about one of the most famous quotes ever to be used. I'll make it simple and professional life by a professional politician, the president of the United States.
Speaker 4: Ah, I give up.
Speaker 2: It was Theodore Roosevelt when he said he believes in the West African philosophy of walk softly but carry a big stick. Do you remember that, Oh, of course yeah. The idea behind his philosophy was negotiating peacefully, being sweet and kind, but remembering that he had the strength to do whatever he wanted to do. To make people listen, so you can speak softly. But if you are powerful and you know what you want, you can do it whatever you want. That's the philosophy that he practiced, and it got me thinking about negotiations. I know you're going to know the answer to this one, Jesse. There's like one big quiz show for you today. You're ready. Yeah? Who wins in a negotiation?
Speaker 4: The person who has the ability to walk away?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jesse? Well trained? Who taught you that? Hmm?
Speaker 4: I wonder, I wonder who?
Speaker 2: Oh for your movie? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who wins a fight?
Speaker 4: The person who doesn't throw a punch?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Oh, this is from Roadhouse, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No one, No one wins a fight?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jesse. Very good. Whoever can walk away from a negotiation wins? You're negotiating, it's two people. Two groups of people could be boys, girls, men, women, could be anybody negotiating for something, could be business in life. You know when the first negotiation any human ever has.
Speaker 3: Oh, when you're a baby, what happens? You're crying to get a bottle?
Speaker 2: Exactly? I want that bottle. You're not gonna stop crying that mommy or that dad, is gonna find you a bottle to shut you up talking about shut up. But that's true. We're all negotiating from the day we're born. You can negotiate many different ways. The baby cries, you could smile, you can make your point, you could state what you need. You can make it clear that you're flexible in certain areas. You also have to make it clear what are your deal breakers that you will not negotiate on this matter. No matter what, it's all about talking and knowing when to talk and when to shut up. I have an example. I thought about this back in my day when we bought Calvin Klein. The company PVH bought Calvin Klein. We owned the brand, we owned the new businesses we were going to launch, We owned everything. But a number of businesses at the time were licensed to a company called Warnaco, which we eventually bought. Warnco had the rights to manufacture genes, and it had the rights to manufacture underwear Calvin Kleine underwick. Can you imagine those two businesses. They were huge. So even though we were Calvin Klein and they in many respects were Calvin Klein too because they had the rights to those businesses. But it was our business. We owned control. We had the rights to approve everything they did, to say yes and no on everything we did. It's our brand, our business, and we leased it to them. Now licensing, Just in case you don't know, every pair of sunglasses you see with a designer name is a license given to some manufacturer who knows the eyewear business. In this case, back in the day, Calvin Klein didn't know enough about jeans to run the business themselves. They didn't know enough about underwear to run it themselves, and they licensed it to another company to do that, and the name of the company was Warnicoe. Now, what I am an issue for me was what's the best way forward? Shouldn't Calvin Klein always look like one company? So if you were Macy's and you're gonna come to my showroom, I wanted to represent to you what the Calvin Klein brand was in its totality, even though I didn't make Calvin Klein watches, even though I didn't make Calvin Klein eyewear, even though I had a license making genes, even though I had a license doing men's and women's underwear, I wanted to house it under one roof. When I had Macy's come in, or Target stores, whoever, big powerful retails. The Wall Street analysts when they came in, I wanted to show them the power of Calvin Klein, and it was the right thing to do. There was a company when we bought Calvin Klein, Unilever, the famous consumer goods company. They had the rights to Calvin Klein Fragrance, the famous Calvin Klein fragrances. So big business again six hundred million dollars. So whenever I had a meeting in the office and I was bringing in senior management of other companies to impress them with the Calvin Klein brand, I would put it all together. So in the fashion business, there was something called the Magic Show, which began as a trade show in California and became a global show that took place in Las Vegas. They kept the name Magic, which was the Men's Apparel Guild in California. They didn't change it because they thought the name was so valuable. Talk about logos and names. Eighty thousand people would come to Magic in Las Vegas twice a year, once for spring, once for fall. Every major retailer in the world would come in every Wall Street analyst of consequence would come in who followed the apparel or luxury sector to see what was going on, so they would know whether or not the stocks of the public companies representing these brands were healthy, were they moving forward? Were they going to do the things they said they would do? Fast forward back to the Calvin Klin. I had a Calvin Klin booth. I had a Phillips Venues in corporate booth with a huge, huge Calvin Klein facility there. And Warnaco's CEO did not want to exhibit his Calvin Kline as part of our group. He wanted it as part of the Warnaca group, and we had a negotiation to take place. Yes or no. His ceo, very powerful guy, very smart guy, refused to budge. His position was, I have Calvin Kline jeans, I have Calvin Kline underwear. You must allow me to show it myself and my own facility. Thank you. I appreciate your position. But we own Calvin Klin, we own the brand. We get to approve everything that there is to approve that you do. You can't put a button on a pair of jeans, you can't pick a color for a shirt or a blouse. You can't use a fabric, you can't do anything. You can't do any ad, you can't represent the brand in any way whatsoever that we don't approve. So while I recognize that you want to show Calvin Klein as part of your Wannaco group, I'm not going to let you do it, and you're going to be in our group or you're not going to be there at all. Interesting negotiation, huh.
Speaker 4: Jess, tough negotiation.
Speaker 2: What do you think happened?
Speaker 4: I don't know what happened.
Speaker 2: Could he walk away?
Speaker 4: Yes? How I don't know?
Speaker 2: Well he said he can. How could he walk away and not be it the most important trade show in the industry where eighty thousand people are coming, every one of his major customers, every one of consequence, he was a public company called Warnaco, Calvin Kleine meant a huge part of his shareholder's value. He had to be there. Could he walk away?
Speaker 4: Maybe not? Maybe I retract that.
Speaker 2: Okay, could I walk away?
Speaker 3: I think you could walk away because you could stop him from showing it in his booth, but you still represent Calvin Klein, And.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what happened. I'd have walked away I could have told him he has no choice. What I ended up doing is negotiated to deal with him. That said, the part of Calvin Klein where Warnico's involved, and where involved, we'd allow him to use the Warnico name as on the footnote Calvin Kleine Jeans and Underwear at Warnico. They'd be in our booth bigger than life. It all would be called Calvin Klein. He would not show his merchandise and his own facility. Warnaco would represent their other brands. And we did it together, and it worked brilliantly and it was great, and that's how negotiations work. I will also tell you he never forgave me for the position I took, but it didn't make me any less. Right. The point is, how do you use words? How do you convince people? Knowing where you're strong, knowing where you're not, you need to know how to communicate. And if you don't know any of those things, with all due respect, shut up back in a minute. Always Venues for over one hundred and fifty years now, has been a mainstay in American fashion. This brand that was invented for dress shirts, was given to cold miners when they exited the mills dirty and dusty. The Phillips venues and company Phillips families there to give them fresh new shirts that they could wear at home and feel their best. Over the course of time, venues and dress shirts grew and grew and grew to suit shirts and ties for the dress up. But now sportswear has become a dominant part of the venues and collection. You can find these products including sweaters, polos, quarter zips, trousers and even the best of fashion has to be preserved. I don't know if I ever mentioned to you the advent of the men's necktie. There's nothing better in a men's necktie business than the business lunch because guys we go out, they'd have their lunch that have their salads or their beef and potatoes and snow stout about it. They would always stain their tops. And therefore the business grew and grew venues and today doesn't want to make money on your hardships. They want to do it and prevent you from having to go through that. And they invented stainshield. It's a technology that was invented to protect your favorite items. The Stainshield collection provides extreme defense against water based stains by causing spills to beat up before they can be absorbed into the fabric. This collection, by the way, in addition to regular fits, is also often in all body sizes, including big and toll. You can find vanues and Stainshield and the great venues in styled sports were at vanues in dot com. That's Vanusen dot com. As one of the world's most celebrated fashion designers, car Lagafeld was renowned for his aspirational and cutting edge approach to style. His unique vision of Parisian shit comes to America through car Lagofeld Paris. He has women's collections, men's collections, ready to wear, accessory, shoes and bags. The fashion house Carlagofeld also offers a range of Watchers I wear in premium fragrances. You can explore the Carlagovol collection at carlagofelpowers dot com. But it's more than that. I, for one, love to shop. I love going around and seeing what's happening and what catches my attention, what would make me feel good to wear now. I don't wear the women's wear obviously, but I can appreciate it and they look amazing. If you want to look right, you want to have clothes that fits you well. You want to look like you're wearing something that's very expensive, that's exclusive for you and yours. You can find it at very affordable prices at Macy's, Orcarlagofel dot com Paris. The women's ready to wear fashion is extraordinary, as well as the handbigs and the shoes. I, for one, wear men's clothes, unlike my appreciation of women's clothes. I'm a modern guy. I want to look current. I want to look the way I want to feel. I go out at night, I'm in black and Carlagofel is my buddy. Calls are great. They fit great, and they have little tweaks and touches, whether it's a stripe on the sleeve or button at or on the shoulder. There's a lot of details that go into Carl Lagafel because he's always been, he always had been one of the world's great designers, and this legacy and goes on and on. I can't speak enough about it except to say to you, you want to feel good about yourself. You want to know that you're dressing properly. You want clothes that fits you well. Carl Lagafeld, Paris at Macy's Orcarlagafel dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to it Always in Fashion. Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 2: Today. I'm thinking about everything I hear, not necessarily see, and what I hear is pissing me off. The way the political candidates are talking, the way celebrities are getting into trouble, the way the pundits are saying what they say with no no consequence whatsoever if what they're saying is wrong. Everyone has an opinion, doesn't make them right. But everyone talks as if they know the world has become versions of the truth, when we all know from Jack Nicholson there are no versions of the truth. I'm really angry. I'm really upset at where we are, and it got me to the point I'm thinking in this week what to talk about for the show. I said, you know what, this whole world ord to just shut up here that pregnant paus was I was quiet for a moment. I'll do it again. Think how powerful the quiet is. I've talked about myself getting into trouble many times in my career. Of all people, mister, I know what's right. I'm Dudley do writer. I always do the right thing. I got angry at the present of my company and I cursed him out. I told him to go f himself in public form, screaming at him over the phone, and he had his executive PE, his senior VP in the room with him. I told him to f himself. Somehow or another, I managed to survive. But when I managed to survive, he gave me the cold treatment for a year. I apologize then profusely. They didn't fire me. I apologized. I was on my best behavior for a year, and for a year I don't think he ever looked directly at me and asked me a question. When matters of importance came to meetings that I was in with him, he asked me to recuse myself. That quiet rejection was one of the most powerful things I ever felt in my life. I've always been involved with quotes, and there have been a number of them that hit my attention preparing for the show, and I wanted to share him with you. One was Michael Kine. I think he's one of the greatest actors in the world. He's in a movie and he said the hardest thing to do is usually the right thing to do. Easy doesn't enter into adult life. I thought that was brilliant. My favorite quote I use more than any is well done is better than well said Benjamin Franklin got to the point that he was tired of hearing all these people say what they'll do. I've adopted it. I don't want to hear what you say you're going to do. I don't want to hear how smart you are. Are you going to revolutionize the world? Are you gonna do it? Show me? Great quote, Great quote. And then my favorite. The week someone was interviewing Steve Jobs and he asked him what it was like to be rich. He thought about it, he said, When I was twenty three years old, I was worth a million dollars. When I was twenty four years old, I was worth ten million dollars. When I was twenty five years old, I was worth one hundred million dollars. But I never thought about being rich. I always thought that putting money aside, not have to worry about it allowed me to concentrate on making the best products that I possibly could make. By changing the world and making products that people didn't know they wanted, until I showed it to them and gave them things that they would need for the rest of the life. It wasn't about money for me. It was about changing the world. And all of those quiet statements were brilliant as far as I am concerned, I said to you early. If you haven't heard it, I'll say it to you again. Charlie Chaplin met Albert Einstein a premiere for his movie in I think it was nineteen thirty, and Einstein walked up to him and said, you're a remarkable man. Remember Charlie Chaplin was a silent film star. He'd never spoke in his movies, and he said, you say nothing, and universality, every one of the stands what you're saying. And Charlie Chaplin, to his credit, looked at him and say, you say what's important. Everyone admires you, but no one understands what you're saying. It shows how important words are, whether they're spoken or unspoken, whether you're giving the silent treatment or getting this silent treatment, whether you're being honest or dishonest, whether you know what you're talking about or you're I don't know what you're talking, whether you're being fair or unfair. Whether you're being smart or stupid, whether you're being obnoxious or pleasant, whether you're helping the world or ruining the world, whether you are helping fellow man or hurting fellow man, whether you understand that your words have implications. I thought about all of this week, and in the end, I figured out what we should all do. Shut up, good night,