Speaker 1: Time for the unine verst one with a hook cast. Today's gonna be overcast. We're gonna get some rain. You gotta wait around till around four o'clock for it to start. High of thirty six a day, down to thirty five overnight, more showers plus storms possible. Moving north, you might see some freezing range to Mars high sixty one with early morning range just clouds after that body over night that of thirty and on Friday we get the sunback. We'll be high a forty two right now thirty three, and it's time for traffic.
Speaker 2: From the UC Health Tramphing Center. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US. If you're at risk, trust the experts at you see help for innovative and personalized hard care. Expect more at you see help dot com. Cruise continue to work by the wreck. Northbound seventy five at town. They got it out of the left lane over to the right shoulder. Tramphang slows through Saint Bernard and then southbound seventy five continues heaving through Blachlan Ease two seventy five is ram Turkey Foot remains blocked for cleanup.
Speaker 3: From a wreck.
Speaker 2: King Bram. I'm fifty five Karros the talk station.
Speaker 1: Hey, forty four fift you have Karos de talk station. Some days are better than others at being me. Today it's a great day to meet me in studio to talk about the Marty gra benefiting the homeless children. I have the founding chairman for the Marty Grave event, Gordy, along with from Bethany House Peg and Jimmy who's the general manager of Governor's House and makes a killer, awesome meatball.
Speaker 3: Jimmy, thank you so much. It was that bit just I.
Speaker 4: Love seeing a look on your face.
Speaker 1: There are things in the I'm a gourmont. I love food. I grew up in the kitchen. I love to cook. I like make my own meatballs. They don't touch these, trust me. Thank you so much. I have really high expectations and standards. You've exceeded them. Man, these are great. Are you going to be serving these at the Marty Graus event.
Speaker 5: Absolutely if you're serving those at the Marty grav vents, and I hope everybody enjoys them as much as you have.
Speaker 4: The imperfect even for me at least.
Speaker 1: Peg, Gordy, you guys had some of his meatballs yet. Oh yeah, okay, yeah good. I'm better get out there and get another one before they disappear. Food has a way of just evaporating around the studios here, all right? The website is what is it? Marty gra twent or twenty twenty five dot org. Do I have that right?
Speaker 6: You do?
Speaker 7: Marty Graw twenty twenty five dot org, Brian, that's right.
Speaker 1: Now, it's benefiting homeless children. Let's talk about the ways in which this event will benefit homeless children. We'll talk about sponsors and what we're going to see and do there and also the date. So who wants to cover the how how the benefit proceeds work, Because you guys have been at this for this is the thirty fourth year for this.
Speaker 7: All right. Peg is from Bethany House. Go ahead, Peeg.
Speaker 6: There's three organizations that serve homeless families in our region, Bright and Center, Welcome House and Bethany House. And we use the proceeds. We have a great party for a really good cause. We feed the children that we serve in these families with the proceeds, so it helps us feed children all year. Often families are homeless for almost a year before they get to shelter. On any given day, Bethany House has one hundred kids living in our emergency shelter trying to find a way. Their parents are finding a way to get rehoused, so we use this money to feed them well.
Speaker 1: And I really appreciate your being here, and I'm aware of this homeless problem because I've talked to folks like Bethany House over the years. Explain to my lead listeners who might be in a state of disbelief that there are really homeless children out there, because I think quite often people think of the homeless person as you know, the vagrant sort of in a corner in an alleyway, probably drug addicted or maybe hate suffering from some cognitive struggles or psychological problems. But that's not the case that we're usually talking about here, though, is it right.
Speaker 6: Family homelessness is really a hidden problem because parents will, as we know, parents will do anything to keep their kids safe, and so they'll find a stairwell in an apartment house where they can live under, maybe a storage unit, a shelter at a state park or city park. They'll find lots of places where they can sleep and coexist with whatever else is going on. In the area and their kids will be safe well.
Speaker 3: And from my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: Quite often this is almost like a spur of the moment homelessness because they live in a dangerous situation at home. Maybe they're an abusive relationship situation Mom grabs a jam bag, grabs the kids and just heads out. Really maybe with no destination.
Speaker 6: A lot of our parents are escaping abusive relationships. Many are just can't afford the rent anymore. And if you have a high medical bill that you didn't have insurance for, or a car repair and you had to get the car fixed so that you could get to your job, you might not have enough money for the rent. And then and of course in our area, rent has exponentially increased since COVID.
Speaker 1: Now do you put these families, these children, and these mothers in touch with organizations that might be able to help them out to deal with those challenges. I immediately think of the Help Squad over on the West Side, because sometimes women will come to them and like they can't make that rent payment, they need that one month assistance, or they're going to find themselves in this situation. Help Squad, you know that's them and we'll get them the money. Yeah, here, we're helping you out this month. Or in one case, they actually bought this poor woman who had to drive be on a bus three hours a day to get to her job.
Speaker 3: Right, they got her a car.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's incredible, you know, because if you have to get your kids to day care or to school and then get to your job, that could be a three hour bus ride, yes, ma'am. So there's lots of organizations Saint Bencent to Paul Community Action agencies. Each of the three agencies I mentioned Bethany House included we raise funds so we can provide a little bit of financial assistance to help smooth those barriers, all right.
Speaker 1: And one of the ways you raise funds and it's been wildly successful, thirty fourth annual Culinary Celebration. It's the Marti grav benefiting the homeless. I'll turn to you, Gordy, founding chairman, been at this a long time. Let my listeners know how much money you put together with this event over the years.
Speaker 7: Well, so far we've raised two point seven to three Brian two point three seven three million dollars. That's amazing, and we're hoping to raise about two hundred thousand this year, so that's our goal this year. We'll see see if we can get everybody there that night to help us raise some money. We have a silent auction, a live auction, and just a really big party for everybody to come.
Speaker 1: A great celebratory event. What day is it? What day is it? We'll learn about the details on it, the where, the when, the why, the house. So what win is the date we need to mark down on our calendar.
Speaker 7: So it's Tuesday, February eighteenth. It's early this year. Normally Fat Tuesday is March fourth this year, but we we didn't get the spacebook at the convention center because of Cincinnati shutting down and Cincinnati Convention Center took all the space at Northern Kentucky. So anyway, we had to move it up a little bit. So it's two weeks earlier, February eighteenth. We'll call it to Tasty Tuesday this year. So at any rate, it's it's going to be five thirty to ten o'clock at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center this year. We've got free parking right across the street in the Kenton County.
Speaker 3: Well that's an improvement.
Speaker 7: So yeah, yeah, well, you know it was a tough. It was tough for everybody to when they wanted to come to the event to find a place to park. So this year we just bought out the garage. Oh that's great and so now get people get free parking. It's right across the street.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned silent auction and I imagine you have all kinds of sponsors that donated items for the silent auction. Oh yeah, yeah, all the times one of these events without people being generous.
Speaker 7: And a live auction too, Brian, Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it can give me an example of one of the Well.
Speaker 7: We we have Reds opening day packages, we have a Caribbean cruise. We got everybody loves this slushpuppy machine that give away for so it's yeah, we've got all kuyds. We've got a a cable deep deep sea fishing trip this year, so that's gonna be neat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want the slush puppy machine.
Speaker 7: You want to slush.
Speaker 3: Show off?
Speaker 7: Yeah, And we've got fifty four restaurants and beverage preveyers this year. We've got a great entertainment from d V eight this year. They're brand new too, so they're they're very popular group there.
Speaker 1: Now, Jimmy, general manager of Governor's House, You're you're gonna be serving these meatballs. So I'm doubly sure of that. Yeah, because if you have all those food vendors there, I'm just gonna wonder how people are gonna find room because everybody's gonna be gathering around Jimmy's meatball.
Speaker 5: That's exactly what happened last year when I did that, our booth was packed and everybody else, you know.
Speaker 1: Nobody wanted give you some examples of some of the other restaurants that are gonna be starving.
Speaker 5: Well, then there's Blinkers will be there, which is right next door to us in the Covington area. They'll be serving food as well. I'm not sure exactly what they'll be serving, but I've seen with some of the.
Speaker 7: Other Yeah, it was actually Blinkers is serving at Port with the with the bourbon glaze. You've got City Barbecue there with their their famous beef brisket notch. We've got eighteen at the Retson serving lobster mac and cheese. We've got, of course Governor's House there with their meatballs. We've got the Hooters girls will be there with their with their Cajun wings. He S will be there with their famous rupe sandwich, Luigi Steak, Luigi's Restaurant will be there with creole lasagna. Vadrin will be there with Cajun pasta. Plumpilias will be there with their Cajun chicken putin esca. It goes on and on, Bri.
Speaker 3: Those are all winners from my.
Speaker 4: Forget all the nice uh alcohol vendors too, they'll be there.
Speaker 3: Well, you know that was gonna be my next question. You adult beverages of.
Speaker 7: Course, Margarita's wine, beer, all kinds of.
Speaker 3: Last year I got to reminisce with some little Kings.
Speaker 7: Little Kings.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that takes me back, Yes it does.
Speaker 7: There's so much food and beverages here. If you can't have a good time here, you can't have a good time anywhere.
Speaker 1: You've got everything covered, great food, great beverages, you've got great music, entertainment, the live auction and the big and the silent auctions as well, and it all benefits the wonderful services Bethany House provides each and every day. Services we really really wish and pray weren't necessary, and you know there's always it's sort of the pall that's cast over this wonderful event is that you do need the funds because there are homeless out there that children most notably need these services. So thanks for what you're doing at Bethany House. It's wonderful.
Speaker 3: Peg.
Speaker 1: So tickets are available at the website I just mentioned, it's Marti Gras.
Speaker 3: T five dot org. Can I ask out loud how much you take the costs?
Speaker 7: Well, the tickets are as little as one hundred dollars. All that includes everything including parking this year, there's all kinds of different levels that you can buy. Sure, and we also need sponsors. They want to learn more how to be a sponsor, corporate sponsor, or a table sponsor. Go out to Marty gra twenty twenty five dot org. Well, and a salute to the sponsors.
Speaker 1: I'm looking under the web page Wiler Family Foundation in Mercedes Benz of Fort Mitchell and with the North Kentucky Convention Center. Without those folks, these events do not happen and the money doesn't get raised. Well, you certainly got my attention, Gordye Peg, Jimmy and again Jimmy props on the meat buk.
Speaker 3: Is this a proprietary thing or do you share? You put you on the spot.
Speaker 4: I might, I might be behind slide the recipe got.
Speaker 1: Down though, okay different you know, some it's pork and veal. Some it's beef and veal and pork. Sometimes it's just beef and pork. The level of breading changes and the o the herbs. I got just a ton of fresh basil which you have in here. We grow it every year and then freeze it so it's always there in the Thomas household.
Speaker 3: I'm just you don't have to give me.
Speaker 4: Good notice that there's a lot of basil in there.
Speaker 3: I'm wonderful, I will.
Speaker 4: I will definitely.
Speaker 5: Slide you the recipe at the end, but I'll just give you a brief and does have the veal, the pork and the short ribbon there as well.
Speaker 2: Oh that's.
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 3: Yes, all right?
Speaker 1: Well, Starry to my listeners for waxing very poetic about these meatballs. But I'm trying to get you to go to the event. And if there's any motivating factor, it should be if you love meatballs. To taste Jimmy from the Governor's House meatballs while you're at Marty Graus benefiting the homeless children over at Bethany House. Gordi Peg Jimmy, it's been a real pleasure having you in the studio. Thanks for what you do throughout the year, sponsors necessary and needed. It's Marty Gras twenty twenty five dot or get your tickets there, show up and have a great time.
Speaker 3: I wish you all the luck in the world. I hope you make a whole.
Speaker 7: Time great Valentine's Day president too.
Speaker 1: There you go, yes, and you know what, don't worry about moving the event early. I'll be sixteen September. I have no idea how they figure out what the easter is going to be on. It's a moving target.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna make it early this year. Marty Grass starts.
Speaker 1: On on the eighteenth of February this year eight fifty six. Folks, if you even get a chance to listen live. We had some really good guests on today. Of course, the Big Picture with Jack Atherton. Corey Bowman was in studio. He is running for mayor of the City of Cincinnati, parenthetically half brother of jd.
Speaker 3: Vance at that matters. But here what Corey had to say.
Speaker 1: Dan Claire chief Communications offer for the disabled American veterans about the dav Patriot boot Camp, judged and Politano, and of course the link for the Marti grab benefiting the homeless is right there at fifty five krs dot com. Folks have a wonderful day. Tune in tomorrow for iHeartMedia aviation expert Jay Ratliffe. Thank you Joe Strecker for producing the program. Folks, stick around glen Bee's coming right up.
Speaker 3: News happens fast, stay up to date at the top of the hour.
Speaker 4: We're moving very quickly.
Speaker 3: At fifty five KRC the talk station, this report