Speaker 1: Time now for the nine first one forecast. Sunny skies today with the highest seventy six. Over Night, it's going to be clearing forty eight. Sunny again tomorrow, highs seventy eight. Then overnight we'll have partly cloudy Skuy's just a slight chance of showers after two am, going down to sixty two, and then for Sunday game day, chances showers before two pm. Otherwise it's mostly sunny and a high of eighty one. Right now it's forty four.
Speaker 2: Let's get up.
Speaker 1: They don traffic conditions for Chuck Ingram.
Speaker 2: From the UCL Traffic Center.
Speaker 3: Mammograms say vibes called five one, three, five eight four pink the scheduled your annual mammogram with UC Health's expert team. That's five one, three, five eight four pink. Southbound seventy five. The lay times are growing through Lachland. That's good for an extra five to six minutes. Now northbound seventy five, beginning to slow down a bit at Kyle's. That's a wreck on Westwood and Graham. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KR see the talk station.
Speaker 4: Or not.
Speaker 1: Seven forty year fifty five care the CEE the talk station. Actually I was looking forward to maybe learning something. Chris Davey, the spokesperson, was gonna supposed to be in the program right now to talk about why you should vote yes on Issue one. Not reachable. Just Treker is struggling to uh dial him up. Was he supposed to call us? Did you call him, Joe? You got his number, just didn't answer. Interesting. Yeah, one of the questions. One of my listeners and actually a dear friend of mine, John Newsom story law enforcement career, said he's a No one Issue one regardless.
Speaker 2: But the funding, who's paying for this? Why?
Speaker 1: And you know, and I stare at it, and you know, I got red flags flying all over the place on this.
Speaker 2: Well, first off, it is horrifically.
Speaker 1: Complicated to this new commission that's going to be created in this this issue one again, this is they say this is going to end jerrymandering, but it just moves jerrymandering. I guess they call it something else, is like Orwellian news speak. But they give the idea of redistricting to this so called independent commission and then they do it.
Speaker 2: Here's the process.
Speaker 1: This is it the ballot language, create the polent process for appointing commissioners four partisan appointees on the Ohio Ballot Board, there'd be two Republicans and two Democrats.
Speaker 2: I guess we'll choose.
Speaker 1: A panel of four partisan retired judges, two affiliated with both parties right Republicans and Democrats. Independence. You're going to take a slide to sit over in the side for a while. So each selects four judges, and those judges I guess get honed down as well. They end up with a total Provide that the four legislative appointees of the Ohio Ballot Board would be responsible for appointing the panel members. As follows, Ballot Board legislative appointees affiliated with the same major political parties select eight applicants, present those to the ballot Board appointees, who would then select two persons from the eight, resulting in four panel appointees.
Speaker 2: The panel would then.
Speaker 1: Hire a private professionals search firm to help them choose six of the fifteen individuals on the commission.
Speaker 2: Oh it gets worse.
Speaker 1: The panel will then choose those six individuals by initially creating a pool of ninety individuals, thirty from the first major political party, thirty from the second, meaning Republicans and Democrats, and finally the Independent's going to say thirty from neither of the first nor the second political parties. Now, I guess that could mean communists. I guess that could mean, Oh, you got him. Welcome to the program. A little worried about you not coming at Chris Davies, spokesperson for the S on Issue one. Welcome to the program. It's real good to have you on here, because you know, honestly, I'm really confused over all this.
Speaker 2: Can you explain?
Speaker 1: I'm going through how these panels in these committees and this whittling down process goes, and it's quite perplexing. And I'll tell you I practiced law for sixteen years.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: And here's where I get self deprecating. I think it means nothing. I'm a member of MENSA. I can't figure this out very easily. So why would I be voting for this? Go ahead? Take the reins here?
Speaker 4: Chris sure, good morning, Thanks for having me on. I'll try and help you out. Let me let me keep it simple for you. Vote yes on one.
Speaker 2: You're going to have to do more than that.
Speaker 4: Hold on vote vote yes on Issue one to end jerrymandering. By putting citizens in charge and getting politicians out of the map drawing process. Politicians have drawn jerrymandered maps seven times.
Speaker 2: They were ruled.
Speaker 4: Unconstitutional by the Ohio Supreme Court seven times. We're one of the ten most jerrymandered states in the country and it causes terrible problems for us. Look at Congress. Okay, why once again do we have to be up against the fiscal cliff, on the verge of defaulting on the United States debt because we send these guys and gals of Congress. They can't even do their darn jobs. Look at the General Assembly. All they do is fight division discord.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know this was one of it was the most unproductive General Assembly in three generations. You have to go back to the nineteen fifties to find the General Assembly that did as little work as the one we have here. Now why because they're all in these Xeriy and Andrew districts, they don't have to answer to the voters. I'll get to your question in one second. Let me just say one more quick thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the landscape screwed up. We can agree all day long that the landscape is screwed up. The political landscape is is deadlock. We are obviously electing the wrong people to higher office, and this is the fault of the citizenry for not electing better, more competent people. Agree, agree, agree, agree. Columbus is dysfunctional as we can be.
Speaker 4: So how do we look better people with the gerrymttered system. Let me just give you one.
Speaker 2: Office in district.
Speaker 4: I'm sitting here in intention a while. Okay, do you know how much? Do you know what percentage of the voters are independent voters? Like myself?
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 4: I'm not a member of the Republican Party. I'm not a member of the Democratic Party, never have been. I'm an independent voter. Do you know what percentage of Ohioans are independent voters?
Speaker 2: Just give it a guess. Probably about say twenty percent.
Speaker 4: These days, seventy percent of Ohio voters, seventy percentators are independent voters.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now where voter?
Speaker 4: Where is the district?
Speaker 1: Wait a second, give me the bibliographic reference to that particular figure. I have never seen that figure before, and I do this for a living.
Speaker 4: Go to the Secretary of State's office right now while we're on the air, and do a search for the registered voters in the state of Ohio, and you'll see the breakdowns. Democrats, Republicans, they're called unaffiliated, be independent voters.
Speaker 2: Okay, and well I'll do that. While you do that, I'll.
Speaker 4: Tell you, well, I'm an independent. I'm sitting here in Columbus, Ohio. Uh. Alison Russo, the Democrat on the redistricting Commission, drew herself into a cozy Gerrymander district. She drew me into her legislative district. And then when I go to vote, UH in March, well to the primary. So I'm an independent, there's nothing for me to vote for H. And you look on there and it's Alison Russo versus Alison Russo.
Speaker 2: I don't want to let's do Let's say.
Speaker 4: The district we had no opponent in the primary, and then this November she has no opponent in November.
Speaker 2: Listen, say.
Speaker 1: Is going to solve the problem? First off, the idea of having a divided panel. You have remembers of this party members of that party. And then ultimately, when you get down to selecting the individuals creating the pool of ninety individuals, thirty from Republicans, thirty from the Democrats, and third from neither party.
Speaker 2: That would be the independent votes.
Speaker 1: But you just got done saying seventy percent of Ohio's Ohioans fall into the latter category, and yet they're not equally represented on this panel. And I guess more fundamentally, also, how do you figure out whether someone qualifies as being in either of the major parties or independent? Don't you look at their voting record?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you look at their voting all right.
Speaker 2: How have you voted?
Speaker 1: I don't think, but I mean over the years, if there is a pattern where you, as an independent unaffiliated person with any party, have regularly voted, say, for the Democrats, doesn't that make you not an independence merely because you're not in you haven't registered as a Democrat or Republican doesn't necessarily make you politically neutral. It means you're leaning one way or another because you're left with no other choices but Republicans or Democrats in the state. So does that allow you to be in on the committee? Then? Even though let's say hypothetically you voted for Democrats for the last twenty years, Yeah.
Speaker 4: It could. It depends on the torutality and circumstances. But let me tell you this has worked in other states where it's been done, you can find qualified citizens who want to step forward and serve the state of Ohio and serve on these committees that worked in Michigan, It's worked in Colorado, in Arizona, in Missouri. So we're not reinventing the wheel here. Citizens. Redistricting commissions work. They result in more competitive districts, fare maps, in an open and transparent process. And that's what we're going to have when Ohioans vote yes on the one the November fifth.
Speaker 1: Well, are you expecting the residents of the state of Ohio, who very very often, quite often don't have enough time to pay attention to politics generally, first off, read through this and understand it and to know that it has, in your definition worked elsewhere. I know that's a subjective conclusion based upon an advocate for a yes on issue one. But how do we know as Ohioans, we can't even keep track of what's going on in our backyard that it's worked or not. As the case maybe and I'm sure there's people out there who make an argument that it hasn't worked.
Speaker 4: Well, do your own research, you know, go online, look and you'll see there's all kinds of there's all kinds of buddies out there that show that this has worked, and Ohiolan's are smart, they'll figure it out. We now, look, we've been at this for We've been at this for over a year now. We've been knocking all these We've been in all eighty eight counties. We talked to voters, and they do get it when you talk to them about ohiolands hate gerrymandering. And when you explain to them that, well, we're going to fix it by putting citizens, not politicians, in charge of drawing them mops. They go to the match.
Speaker 2: They go, oh, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: That makes a ton of sense. You know, Ronald Reagan was a proponent of citizens redistricting commissions.
Speaker 2: And yeah, then you know what.
Speaker 1: I don't want to talk about hypotheticals under Reagan. I won't know what language he was looking at. I'm staring at something that prevents a commission member from being removed except by the vote of the Vellow Commission members, even for incapacity, willful neglect due to your grossman's conduct, followed by a prohibition for anybody out here in the voting public from filing a lawsuit challenging the redistricting plans.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: As a litigation attorney, I know that there's value in taking things to court. Obviously that's what was the impetus behind this, because so many court battles have been fought and admittedly lost for jerrymandering. But I want the ability to go into court and argue that this too is something that is unlawful, you know, illegal, improperly done.
Speaker 2: But this deprives me of that, right.
Speaker 4: Well, no it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Well I just read one.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know what language you're reading, but under issue one, you can take these maps to court. This is there is a provision for challenging the maps in court.
Speaker 2: All right, and let's leave. Let's leave on this.
Speaker 1: And because this is another red flag for most of my conservative listening audience, and I'll acknowledge they mostly are, even though I describe myself as a little libertarian speaking of political neutrality, that it's backed by almost exclusively left wing organizations. Unions are all all behind this. The funding has come largely from out of state by some very left leaning, well known figures, a lot of dark money from out of state. This gives my listeners a lot of trouble and concern. So, even though maybe well intentioned, how is it that the political landscape has lined up where the Democrats are the ones largely supporting this and the Republicans are largely against it.
Speaker 4: Well, look, people are tired of this red blue us versus them, jets versus the sharks. Let's make everything be a fight to the death between these two opposing sides that you can never get along. That's not what this is about. There are elements that want to make that what this is about, but it's not what Issue one is about. Issue one is about returning power to the citizens of Ohio and having citizens, not politicians, draw the legislative map so that we can finally end jerrymandering. Now, our support comes from all across the political spectrum, and we've received small dollar donations from people in all eighty eight counties. Yes, we've received money from out of state. That's a common thing that you'll see in campaigns for elective officers. You think Bernie Moreno has receive money from out of state?
Speaker 1: You don't think that this is question is not about Bernie. This isn't about Bernie Murphy. Now, all right, well we're out of time anyway, went way long and don't have any more time in the hour, so use it up with you. Appreciate you joining the program, all right, but yes, issuele fuddled followed by vote no on an issue one for me. There's my recommendation. You go ahead and choose wisely. Seven fifty three fifty five K see you talk stage real quick word for a good friends, Foreign Exchange, get your car fixed for less money, and ultimately that is all what it's all about. You get an SECY certified Master Technician worker on your car. You leave with a full war and chain, parts and service, and you will leave with more money in your pocket than you would had you taken into a dealership, all everything you need, regardless of which country your imported car comes from, Asian or European. They have the data, access to your manufacturers technical information to fix your car.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Trust my friends at Foreign Exchange IM. I'm going there for years and years. Tylersville, egsit off of seventy five Head East two streets, hanging right on Kinglin. You're there online. You're there at Foreign xform theletter X dot com. Here's the number five one three six four four twenty six twenty six fifty five k RC deep in the back of your