Speaker 1: Good news, callum, good news. He's back.
Speaker 2: He's back, live and in concert.
Speaker 3: Do you know what he actually looks like? That fella from Royal Family, Jim Royal sat back slightly in his thing. Guess another, what's his catch raise?
Speaker 4: I'm on a Chesterfield though, so it's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah is that Chesterfield?
Speaker 4: Is that Chesterfield?
Speaker 2: Guess another, rich Tea.
Speaker 1: It's actually I'll tell you what. Imagine Jim Royal if he had accidentally stumbled into a sort of slightly smart yet fading country house owned by what's his name? Effing Fulford. That's what we're.
Speaker 3: Seeing, dressed like a plus sized mannekin in millets.
Speaker 4: I'm going to give out your phone number on Twitter so people can call you.
Speaker 2: People do that in the street. I don't read it. I do that while driving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do that anyway, to the side of your car.
Speaker 4: You just have Richard Ligas's number out the side of your car with how is my driving?
Speaker 1: How's my driving? It's actually, if you think about it, I mean, my website's got all my contact details on and that is on my Twitter account. So yeah, I have yet Well mind you, I'm tempting fate here. I've yet to to have sort of, you know, direct messaging of just your but you know, the day is yet young.
Speaker 4: You don't have to be docks to do because you've kind of done it to yourself.
Speaker 1: We're hav insulted you enough. It is brilliant to have what remains of Richard Prideau back on Country Slide.
Speaker 2: Most of him still intact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just got an extra bits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got extra bits.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I've lost about five kilos as well, I think, which is most mostly sort of my muscle wastage. Now I'm just watching my spindly leg appear. Although I found out the other day you can feel the plate under the skin.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because it's.
Speaker 4: On the front of the shin sort of you can feel the outline of it. It's weird.
Speaker 3: Should we explain if somebody has missed it that what happened? Because what's what are they talking about?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I got hit by a tree, broke my leg. A nice man from India put a plate in my leg, and now I can't walk until the end of May.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So if you want to read the full unexpegated version, go back to the but one episode of Country Slide, or read Richard's latest scribe pound piece to find the x ray picks.
Speaker 4: Hmm, thank you, Yeah, it's it's the I thought the x ray picks are a good way to get people to click through. Although I don't know if you noticed this. When you put an article on Scribe pound, sort of the first hour or two when it goes out, because I think they go live at half six in the morning or something, so just before everyone starts work, that's when you get your lowest rating, and then after that it goes back up again. So I think it's all the other writers who don't like us. They click dislike gets a percentage down and then you get your little score on the back end that you see as a writer on scraps, and then it goes back up again.
Speaker 1: That is probably right actually, So what it basically is all the people who either write for country Life or want to write for Country Life who don't like us. They they so no, it's absolutely rubbish. I hate that. Just with this it's about cottsworlds and point pointing. And then all the real people come in from milking and taking dogs out and got a breath of fresh air and that's it. Yeah. Other rural magazines are available. The Field very good photography in the field. Callum, well did you dry hair?
Speaker 4: What? Who got the cover this week? Didn't you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I got sent me. I finally got sent the issue because.
Speaker 3: I I haven't got the subscription.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I haven't got the subscription.
Speaker 3: Ye, I did have one, and then I just forgot because I've changed the dress about five times.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I just got sent the issue.
Speaker 1: We've got the big issue, the big issue.
Speaker 2: I got the field. I don't know what are we in now.
Speaker 3: April April's issue, which is fishing and I've never ever had a fishing cover of anything before, apart from random European cart fishing magazines, which I'm not sure that counts.
Speaker 4: But with that, Miles Malone writing about BB was that there that was I had two?
Speaker 2: How lucky am I got two pieces in the field.
Speaker 3: It was a different one, Miles Malone's BB's gun.
Speaker 2: I think that one's the BB gun.
Speaker 3: One. There was two, So there's a BB Society's Day and a BB's Gun. I think BB's Gun was actually I think that was a while ago. And then this one is I think the BB Society Day, if anyone might right.
Speaker 4: I think official show historian Richard should explain who BB is, so people going to think this is an article about BB guns.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not actually a little tiny gun who fires very small round shot out. It's his proper name. Was it Watkins Prichford or something? That he wrote some fantastic books on wildfowling. He was a longstanding contributor to the Shooting Times, and probably most famously for writing that wonderful book Brendan Chase, where it actually inspired me as a young child, Brendan Chase, to run away briefly just because I thought it'd be fun to live in the woods like the three boys in Brendan Chase. But he was a beautiful writer and a beautiful artist too. What can Richford? I think he was a he was a master at Rugby School or something like that. That sounds about right. Yeah, But he was a beautiful writer.
Speaker 2: He's writing amazing, but his art. We also wrote about cartfishing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: People to write about cartfishing. And it's interesting that cartfishing writing back in the day was written like it's a gentleman's sport, and these days cartfishing is not considered to be the pursuit of the gentleman.
Speaker 2: It's very much the true man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting, that, isn't it interesting?
Speaker 3: Knock off half a day after plastering and then you know, get fifteen cans of stellar and go for forty eight hours down the local.
Speaker 1: And pushing for carp with vintage gear that BB would have used, and then it's sort of acceptable to the slightly more aristocratic angler. Seems to be an important thing. Yeah, I've just been doing some research about bittens for my next book.
Speaker 4: Is that working title still wants bitten twice shy?
Speaker 1: It really should be, But no, they weren't. My publisher didn't go for that.
Speaker 3: They Bitter the Devil, you know, Bitter the Devil, you know, I think as a better title.
Speaker 1: I do like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, we could do this all day.
Speaker 1: This is just one chapter on bitterens I hasten to it. It's not an entire book on bitten. So but it was quite interesting, is that I was looking back through some of the very old ornithological books, and Suffolk used to have the largest bitten population, and they just dropped off the perch, quite literally, and then they came back briefly, and then they went away again. Now they're coming back. But it's quite interesting is that there was a period, and I think that's probably around the time when BB was sort of writing, was that gentlemen gunners would actually try and shoot a bitten because of their rarity value. And you know, it's it's quite interesting is the fact that.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, I better shoot one before it goes extinct, well as like a curiosity to keep it as a as a taxidermy or something.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's there's sort of an argument that a lot of Edward and gentlemen's activities were purely to provide conversation in the club, weren't they. They was sort of so you had something to talk about. You know, did you see that I did this? Yeah, it was on the social media of its day.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah. But rather than pretending you did it, you actually did do it. So therefore and you did to prove that you did it, rather than the selfie, they had to go and shoot this thing. And yeah, and the bitten because there is it doesn't spoil the story. But there's a bitten that was maybe still in the Dunnich Museum which is just south of Southward, and it was shot by my great uncle. He wasn't a gentleman gunner, I hastened to add, he did it for a living, but yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: It for the love of the game.
Speaker 4: He just liked the hatred of bittons, He.
Speaker 3: Liked getting endangered red listed things, and just he just loved blasted.
Speaker 1: Well, the interesting thing was he actually did it for ornithologists. So someone would say, I want you to go and shoot a bitton because I want a stuff one so that we can exhibit it. And that's the weird thing. And it's something that Mark now has often says, is that. He said, although birds nesting for young lads largely used to be great efficionados of having an egg collection, he said when that died out, because under the wildlife comes like that, it was banned. He said. It. In one way, it was good for birds, because your little boys going and nicking an egg from out of a nest, he said, but it stopped that fascination and that interesting going and understanding different birds and what they are and whatnot by removing it, he said. So in a way it was a bad thing for nature, he said, because people stopped their fascination and wonder in it because they no longer go egg collecting, and he said in a way, he said, you could record, and he does this. He's a nest recorder, and there are means and ways of officially going and recording nests as to how you're doing, and it's quite interventionist. They'll be perfectly honest. But he said, you know, he's not advocating egg collection. He said, but there are many of the finest ornithologists throughout history came about because they either shot birds to study then afterwards as taxidamized things, or they collected their eggs so they could go and sort of pull out a draw and go, ah, yes that they go, there's a marsh tit And that was it. So was quite bizarre and always good to hear from Mark because he's such a voice of the middle ground and common sense agreed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wasn't there an American bird? It was like a reads warbler or something which was it became extinct effectively within there was a two day period and two naturalists they each shot one because it was so rare, and it looks like they probably shot the last two days of each other.
Speaker 1: The passenger. Yeah, I think that's passive, Mark Avery. Actually he not have always necessarily a friend of the show, but nonetheless fascinating.
Speaker 4: I called him a chunky funster in an article.
Speaker 1: Yes you did. He gave my book nine out of ten, which is quite bizarre. But anyway, I don't know what I lost the one point for. It's probably because I didn't quite blow Sunshine up.
Speaker 4: As as because your uncle shot a bitten because my uncle shot.
Speaker 1: A bitter and yeah, basically, yeah do it. I mean, you know you're trd for life after that. But he retired for word at hard and feathered for life. He wrote a very good book about the passenger pigeon and it's and how it sort of went from being as common as ticks on a dog to gone in such a short space of time, and using it as a sort of this is what can happen to you species that if you get too much hunting pressure, too much habitat, lost too much of this, too much of that, and they all combined together, and hey, Presto is dead, you know, and gone. Do you want to hear a fascinating thing? I've had any email?
Speaker 4: Can we stop you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 4: Really is just a fascination generation machine, isn't he.
Speaker 1: It's a fascinating thing because I received an email today from a correspondent in Holland and she bought my book in Holland, and she is a novelist, and she's asking a question where.
Speaker 2: Can I return it?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's well funbed, largely because I've just put for gripping. It's up. She asked this question right in her book. She's got some characters that are running around in the Duvolu juniper forest. Have you ever come across a juniper forest? Richard? No, No, so must be a thing, and she said, piqued interest. Yeah, and she's saying that she is. Her characters are escaping from someone who are put from some pursuers, and they want to take shelter near a seemingly impenetrable hedge that are being created a decade before and has been the abandoned and left to go wild. My characters are hoping that by trying to find a way through the hedge, their pursuers won't find them the hedge before the juniper forest. My question is how plausible is it for people, even though by desperation, to try to escape through a hedge gone wild? If they can, how what kind of hedge would be able to grow near a juniper forest. Well, I've never come across a juniper forest. I mean, I know what it's like to try and burst through a ten year old hedge relatively easy, but yeah, a juniper forest. This is this is news to me because.
Speaker 4: Du all the wild junipers in the UK, they're all in upland areas. There's actually there was a project a little while ago to real sort of restore or propagate the last few native junipers in Wales, and there's only about six and they're all sort of hanging on the side of a crag somewhere because a sheep of eaten the rest. But they're all in pretty poor soil. So I wonder if it's sort of heathland.
Speaker 1: Yes, she did say actually, which I perhaps should have said. So that's very good observation there, she said. Is situated in a place called the Hogue Value, which is a national park consisting of forests, heath and sand. There you go, mister preb And yeah, basically yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, so juniper grows, it's got slow growing sometimes grows a few millimeters per year, right, So that's you know, it's not going to take over it very quickly. Article importance it's good for biodiversity.
Speaker 1: And also good speaking of which, cheers, I'm not allowed, are you not still?
Speaker 4: I've got some blood tests and all sorts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ghastly, I'm just off the stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're working. You're working on a job that used to be mine tomorrow, aren't you. Yeah, really, I've kind of landed you with it out of the kindness of your heart.
Speaker 1: You're chopping trees down that will kill you. Great, well done, I'm lucky you.
Speaker 2: Which job is it? I know?
Speaker 3: I'm I'm going to do a fix a shop for as a carpenter. Wait, no, no, it's not that one. I'm gonna run a dog cafe. No, no, it's not that one. Which one is? It explained to the audience which one it is?
Speaker 4: You're going to take the photos that the National Gamekeeper Organizations a gm and awards ceremony over in Coventry, which is for once it's one of these things. Is actually genuinely in the middle of the country.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, it's called Middle of the Earth Conference Center or something, Heart of England.
Speaker 2: That's the one middle conference.
Speaker 4: And I'm going to say this because I have a lot of friends in the NGO and they organize things very very well. But I will say that going to an awards ceremony organized by gamekeepers is very different to going to an awards ceremony run by the debutante daughters who mostly do gw CT events. Yeah, I can imagine a very different vibe.
Speaker 1: Would you like another piece of pork pie? Yes, there's the Canna pays. A chunky and chewy.
Speaker 2: Elevens would be great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well do I have to just stand on the shoulder of someone on a peg and just hope that a pheasant comes over or they actually want me to do some work?
Speaker 4: Now? You all start at the back of the room and gradually move towards the front, and there's someone at the end of each line with a bit of plastic on a stick.
Speaker 3: But if I was at the Gamekeeper's Awards, I would definitely round people up by.
Speaker 2: Shouting oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, hey, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and flapping her and flapping an old feedbag tied to a stick.
Speaker 1: I would suggest a Gamekeeper's Awards tomorrow. Tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I want to hear your take on this, because I've done the photos there for four years.
Speaker 2: Now and I've seen how difficult it looks.
Speaker 1: I tell you. Look, it's very simple. If you want to get a load of gamekeepers to flock towards you, put your hand in your wallet pocket and pull it out with like a slightly closed fist, but what appears to be note or better still notes clutched in your hand, and they will suddenly come towards you with a big beaming smile on their face.
Speaker 2: And then funny handshake.
Speaker 1: Funny handshake.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's like that, the keeper and the underkeeper who you have not seen on a hard surface all weekend and now suddenly stood in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, a hard surface, brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely. You know what's coming, yeah, exactly. So what are we going to be talking about today, because we you know, we've obviously planned this hm hm intricately.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sort of detached from things because I've in an attempt to not go mad, I'm trying not to go on the internet much while I'm laid up and trying to read books that are printed on paper and things like that. I'm I'm reading the biography of Felwell stuff like that. So that's a bit out of tune with what's actually happening. But you sent some news articles over in the old WhatsApp group.
Speaker 1: I did, I did, and one I thought was particularly interesting. So we have already mentioned Mark Avery who erst while member of Wild Justice. But while Justice seemed to have actually done something which I am slightly in favor of in a way is that they have expanded. No, what they've done is that they have started to hold to account Natural England because they have managed to with a bit of freedom of information requests and whatnot. And in it actually, if they're just spoken to one or two people in the world of conservation, they would have had this confirmed already that Natural England is not designating anymore sites of special Scientific interest, and they haven't done that since twenty twenty three. And the slight interesting thing is that there is a thought, I mean, we can discuss sites of special scientif into interesting if it's actually beneficial to wildlife and wider nature in a minute. But one of the interesting things that they discovered in their research is that there is the reason why there was a place down in Thurock, which I think isn't thorough down there where the q E two bridge and the Dartford crossing is down that.
Speaker 2: Sort of way I think it's technically Essex.
Speaker 1: But ken border right, So there that that Natural England have said that they're considering inverted Commas new principles to prioritize the notification of triple size. Natural England is in the process of reviewing its limited resources. Well we know that they've had their their budgets cut by DEFRA to consider how they can most effectively be used to achieve and support the restoration of nature. Well, if we here listen to what we were talking about last week, Callum, that seems to be a load of beavers and some glutenous snails which are going to die in dirty water anyway. But one site that was earmark for protection by Natural England at Thurrock, will be destroyed by a new port development known as Tilbury three, which was granted planning permission in February this year exactly. But I think they mean port with the docs terrible. Actually, let's be perfectly honest. What is also coming into Tilbury is it is a great, big green energy project. Is that this is where the Norwich to Tilbury pylonline comes in. So they're going to put socking, great big electrical whatever they're called, those things that take the electricity in before they then send it off to Brighton. So a load of Green Party supporters can go and boast a matter how kind they are to the environment because their their energy has been sort of done by wind power.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think it's so Dale Vince can buy more teeth Venia, isn't that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's basically mean Delvin. No, you mean del Vince exactly. That that slightly Charlotte Teness.
Speaker 4: Just want to make sure I get my insults in correctly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, that that ridiculous man who sort of dresses like he's rig off the young ones and pretends that he's green while going, yeah, gone, I'll give you loads of money, Ed Milliband as long as you go and let me put my stuff everywhere. That's exactly the del Vince we're talking about, owner of Forest Green Rovers, who he then subsequently made all the Forest Green Rovers players become vegan. And I couldn't win a raffle now because they're all like sort of pasty faced and their legs break. Exactly back to the meat raffle at the Forest Green Rovers ground ship, wouldn't it's.
Speaker 4: All corn, It's all Linda McCarthy sausages.
Speaker 1: I mean, what's your views Richard on size good or bad vegetarianism?
Speaker 2: Deep in the weed?
Speaker 1: Does he look like a man who eats a corn sausage?
Speaker 2: He doesn't look pro vegan?
Speaker 1: He doesn't.
Speaker 4: No, we just we now have definitive sort of X rays of exactly how wide my bones are. And when I get buried and then dug up again a six hundred years are going to mistake me for an ox?
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, Well ham, didn't they say that when they cut your leg open? They thought it was like slicing a ham.
Speaker 3: Yes, a Spanish man that that sort of got hungry halfway through.
Speaker 4: I want to stand on Boxing day on someone's table, people coming around.
Speaker 1: I bought this. I bought this when I was on the Holday in Buffalo. Now, yeah, exactly what is it? Hang my leg? It came with a.
Speaker 4: Box from Little Trip.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 4: They're a weird one because people always assume it's for oh, it's to protect one readfully rare thing that only exists there. Well, no, because it can be geology, it can be a landform, it can be just an overall habitat that promotes more of this thing and that thing is well, it's not necessarily rare in the UK, and because a lot of these sort of overlap with our time in the EU and the e C e C that they were European designations effectively just under using our framework of law. But a lot of these things they're not that rare here. It's just the UK is the only place you've still got them because we're an island and sort of you know we've got we've got the bluebells, for example, So they are protected species, and a lot of triple sis are set up around things like bluebell woodlands and stuff like.
Speaker 3: That, so.
Speaker 4: They are they're a weird one because on the outside they look like it's a dreadfully important thing and this is basically a shrine to nature where you can't you should not do anything. But when you look at most of them, it's yeah, there's a bit more limestone pavement here and you get a bit more of those mosses and bryophytes, but you don't you get them on the other side of the valley as well. It's just this big got surveyed first. This is where a triple s I is, So it's often a bit of a it's a weird legal structure as well, because I think it was the Antiquity to Act what the Wildlife and Countryside Act was built on, and the Wildlife and Countryside Act is what a Triple s I is designated.
Speaker 1: Under, and they sort of shoehorned that into They sort of change from being this is historically amazing too, this is death Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, from being Sutton who too?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Got Yeah. So in Calumber, what would your immediate reaction be if you heard that Triple SIS could suddenly go underneath a load of pylons and pilings for ports. I mean, what would your immediate reaction be to it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's quite surprising really then that they can potentially is this going to happen or might happen?
Speaker 1: Well, it's this is the interesting thing. Yes, So definitely the one that thorok is that's been given planning permission and it was a site that was destined to be given Triple s I, And I would imagine it's probably down there because it was probably read wetland, which is rare, and it would certainly be home to red listed species. I mean you could argue the toss is literally being on that dirty old bit of that very heavily industrialized bit of that Thames going to be actually as pristine as what it could should be. I mean, funnily enough, I know plenty of people who have got Triple s I woulds, and they wish that they weren't, and they'll say that my Triple s I woods are in worse condition than my woods that avoided being given the Triple SI domination. In fact, I was once supposed to write an article for I think it was The Shooting Times and the owner of the wood where we were as incredible places of whatever you do, do not reveal where we are. Because I was writing how I had to remove the exact location. I just said East Anglia in the end, because I was talking about all the various wildflowers have we seen? He said, because if natural England get here, this next thing, I know, I've got bloody Triple SI status slapped on this.
Speaker 4: He said.
Speaker 1: Then I'm not going to be able to manage the wood properly because so there is a ying and a yang to it. But I think it's a good thing for once for wild justice have done because to me, they've actually highlighted that this government has been quite prepared to ride rough shod over protected landscapes, and that the previous government was clearly prepared to run roughshod over protected landscapes. And so therefore, you know, we've got to have a bit of a grown up conversation about the problems at zero. So if you.
Speaker 3: If you decided that Triple s I Land was going to be the place to be for pylons, et cetera, could you then not designate a place of you know, a place to match that. Essentially, so you know, say it's one hundred acres that's now being used for this, could you not protect then another one hundred acres somewhere else that Arguably.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's slightly by diversity in that game, that's a different thing, but that is that was one of the sort of reasons for biodiversit in that game, being part of the planning infrastructure that you're knocking down fifty acres of habitat to build this housing estate, so you have to do surveys before find out what's there, and then somewhere else fifty acres or more will be funded to improve bidiversity in those areas to a greater degree. So actually, so it's not just one for one replacement, it's meant to be one and a half two to one.
Speaker 3: Where I live, there's a this is a huge divergence. Where I live, there's a little pond that is now full of wildlife. And when I share pictures.
Speaker 4: In the kitchen still not finished, then.
Speaker 2: We can come on to that.
Speaker 3: Usually when I go down there's there's absolutely tons of wildlife. There's the frogs have done it incredibly well. All the tadpoles are in there. Occasionally you get kingfishers over there. You've got a resident goose on there, just one lonely one for some reason.
Speaker 1: Why is that fuddy there's just just.
Speaker 3: Just hanging around like I don't know what he's waiting for, but something so and it's got some trees around it, and it's just a nice place. I've seen woodcock in the little tiny bit of wood and that it's a nice little, nice little break from what is otherwise just a long patch of meadowland. And that was I found out that that was actually built because when they built the M eleven motorway, they took a pond that was there and they built over the pond. So I'm not sure local council some authority turned around and said, well, if you're going to build over the pond, we want us to build another one. So they built this other one not too far all away, and they like, it's not great, so they lined well, it is good. They lined it with concrete, so it looks a bit like a paddling pole, but it's actually a proper pond and.
Speaker 2: It did really well, and there's lots and lots of wildlife.
Speaker 3: So I think that's a prime example of you can have a thing where it's sure you're destroying a habitat, but skip forward. God them eleven has been in sixty years, I think, so, yeah, yeah, it's good.
Speaker 4: I've seen see first Town and how that sort of has evolved onto becoming you know, our side probably the discussion sort of the more conservation minded side. We like that kind of thing. But if you're somebody looking at the infrastructure and thinking why is this costing so much? Why is this taking so long, and sort of like the pinnacle of that is HS two and the backbridge and things like that. But that's all part of the ecological mitigation because there is a whole industry of ecologists, professional ecologists, and ecological consultancies whose job is basically to do the assessment before and after and to say these are the structures you need to put in place. And we had one big project at the edge of the town here, so the sort of closed the load of the local primary schools and made a super primary school at the edge of town and they sort of built on an old farm. Yeah, it was, it's like and it's also because it's English and Wells. You got an English half and the Welsh half, and it's got like this Berlin wall thing down the middle. But you have there were a couple of old barns and a big hollow oak tree. I think there's an oak back in an elm in the middle of this field. It was full of bats. So when they built the school, one of the things they had to put in as part of the planning was these bathouses, which were basically Richard Nigus's conservatory there, the big sort of green oak frame things. They look really nice. They're really the ornate structures. But the developer said that those bathouses cost fifty pounds and that was why there wasn't adequate play facilities at the school, which wasn't true. What cost fifty pounds was the entire ecological survey for the whole site and everything over this quite big infrastructure project. But they use that to tell the local community, Oh, this is why we can't spend it on the things for your kids. Is because of those stupid bats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'll blame blame a newt for white car. This is the red tape thing, exactly. I think it's an interesting thing because I mean to say, for example, your pond you're talking about there can't That sounds like a very good wildlife pond that is doing what it should do. I believed and still believe that the purpose of the Triple s I is supposed to that is the site of special. It's the special is the important scientific interest, because hell, I've got a great big clump of ivy that's outside my window here that I'm looking at, and it's got tree sparrows in it, and tree sparrows are a red listed species. I don't listen to what the RSPB say. I still carry on supplementary feeding for them and they appreciate it. So I've got a red listed species living in a leyland eye next to a next to a clump of old ivy. Now that wouldn't get Triple SI status, yet it is home to red listed species. But if it possibly had some breckland sand under it, or a pingu pond the other side, but then it suddenly would and so therefore I think it's something that can't be replicated. Was the idea of the triple SI, so it was especially scientifically interesting, so it was a sum of the parts. So what it sounds like you're talking about with your pond was they had to build a motorway. Very sensible. Yeah, So therefore, if you've destroyed a habitat, you put one back, and now it's supposed to be one plus ten percent. So if it was one hundred acres, it's going to be one hundred and ten acres of biodiversity net gain. But the thing is with triple s I is it a bit of a So it can't be it can't be replicating it.
Speaker 2: It's you can't just create habits.
Speaker 1: You couldn't. You couldn't replace that because it's supposedly a site of special scientific interest. So I think where the problem comes is twofold. Is that one a threefold actually because one they slaps besides a special scientific interest, so it gives it greater protection than anything else, So theoretically they shouldn't. You're not able to build over it. You couldn't build the M eleven round there, which is why they had to do these ridiculously expensive mitigations when they were doing HS two, because they were going they had to build tunnels underneath some sort of hills near where Roald Dahl once lived. They had to do that because it was through a triple s I and an era outstanding attribute to hide this, this archaic railway that they still insist on is going to increase your speed to get to Birmingham by three seconds or something, so that that caused a bit of a who are The second thing is, like already said, is it doesn't actually necessarily guarantee because triple s I is on, it usually means that the bloody Local wild Life Trust or the RSPB get their myths on the management of it, which usually means that it starts to decay. Look at wiccan Fen as a fine example of a reed bed which is now failing because that's a triple s I and the National Trust have decided how they're going to manage that, and that's badly. And the third thing is exactly as Richard says, is that it's putting builders and therefore some political parties and bizarrely the Labor Party this time, are sort of almost making the Newt an enemy. It's the news that's stopping you from getting an out, said Angela Rayner. We no, it's not. Actually, it's someone being a dickhead about Newts as stopping you from getting an out. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I know it's a very weird online world. But Twitter or x as it is now, you know, you and you and I are both breathingly active on there, and every now and again we say something about nature and politics and things like that, and you pick up a load of new followers who are probably people who will not get on with in any other way, but they've all got that same avatar thing, which there's Team backed Team, which came about from the Labor saying we're going to tear up the red tape around the stopping and all these bats and Newts getting in the way. Was that Steve Thinghamerbob that that Steve Reid?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: So there's this is one of those horseshoe issues where sort of if you like conservation either side of the you've probably got more aligned views with the conservation minded people right at the other end of the political scale, just because this is nature is sort of an a political issue, even though it's often made political. Another thing that's just come to our mind is that with these triple size you get because you can go on a deaferent magic map and find where your local triples eyes are, and if you click into it, it says, this is what the name of the triple s I is, this is its number, this is why it's designated. And if you keep clicking through, it takes you toward sort of the documents and the PDFs about when it was set up. And some of them are just scams of the original stuff from the eighties, and they all have on the sort of the paperwork looks broadly the same, but they all have what used to be called pdos potentially damaging operations, and now they're called or net operations requiring Natural England's consent, which is if you have a triple US or there's an equivalent for natural resources whales here in Wales, but if you have a woodland that's a triple s I. And let's say you want to apply for a felling license, then you get the extra Even if it's just thinning or copying or something like that and it's not going to affect that species or that habitat, you still have to apply for an extra license on top of the felling license to get consent to do one of these potentially damaging operations. The stupid thing is basically that list of things you're not allowed to do on the Triple s I is the same across almost every single one. It's the same list of things, and it's things like bring in heavy machinery, compress soil, remove plants or plant material, which is the thing that makes it illegal to forage in a Triple s I. Okay, so, but it's the sort of a really lazy, overpowered designation for it's and it's very blanket because it just it just had to be done to protect these places, but it's not representative of what's there. So it's probably why they sort of have a bad name amongst landowners because if you do have a Triple s I, you can do bugger all with it, you know, and it's very expensive to go through the licensing process to get permission to do it.
Speaker 1: Utterly, I mean, the peculiar thing is if you look at our forestry listeners would appreciate this one is half the reason why the woods became triple s I woods in the first place is because they were made more diverse habitats in the first place by the interaction of man i, coppering, thinning, felling, doing all the things that woodland management requires. Exactly the same with reedbeds is that the only reason why bittens used to be about if we didn't shoot them, was because you had would reed beds which were wet, They had diverse range of habitats, You had pools in them, you had navigable waterway. So all the things that are bitter needs for both the male so he can go and do his display and the hen so she can do the nesting are created by the hand of man. And then the moment that they become a triple SI then some bloody engo comes in and says, all right, we won't touch them, and before you know it, the reedbed starts drying out. You've got a load of goat willow and blackthorn, an ingress of of older, and god knows what else. It all turns into scrub and they go we haven't got any bitters, but we've rewilded it and we've now got lots of these birds here, So you know that it's a it's a cleft stick, but I think it's actually something that while justice, I'll give them seven out of ten for opening this debate up, because what it has actually shown is that our landscapes are now becoming much easier to build on. And I was at I became an activist this weekend for one day, in one day only. I've never been a great fan of being an activist. Well, yeah, you know the ones that have actually got a bit of extra trouser at the bottom that you can attached by a zip. And I had a walking stick for no apparent reason I Willy had. But yeah, it's I'm going to super glue yourself to no, no, no themselves, just.
Speaker 3: Stop oil people. And now that people are about petrol prices.
Speaker 1: Yeah probably probably, yeah, so they're conspicuous by their absence now. And no, actually I was. It was a thing that was organized by the Community Planning Alliance And these are a hotchpotch exactly as you say, Richard, the horseshoe is meeting in the middle. So I was talking to groups of individuals on Saturday who are extremely worried about the government's commitment to build one and a half million homes, seemingly in places where they go, Oh, there's not many people live there, so we'll go and put it there. Yeah, just build a brilliant idea is going to build a forest city of a million people in Suffolk because it's near Cambridge and you know there's lots of green space there, so let's remove the green space by putting four hundred and sixty thousand houses on there and call it a forest city, and that way we'll make cells look good. But this Unity Planning Alliance are a hotch potch of people who range from the Team Bat Team Newt, which were quite interesting. So therefore they were sort of slowercase greens or what do they call them deep greens, but equally greens, deep green, farrel and ball color. It seems to be a new term. So there are the watermelons who are green on the outside, red on the inside, so plant Ski's version of green. And you've got the deep greens, who are the people who sort of are very very concerned about their immediate local environment first and foremost, and you know, probably if asked they would. I really care about the you know that the polar ice caps, but they actually do shit about.
Speaker 4: Oh actually yes, you actually get anxiety about it, that kind.
Speaker 1: Of that sort of thing. They've also got.
Speaker 2: In forms.
Speaker 1: Well, this is it.
Speaker 2: Keep the Arctic white.
Speaker 1: You've got a good joke.
Speaker 2: That was a good joke.
Speaker 1: You've actually got green reform type people who are going this is a green and pleasant land. You know. I like to go down to the pub, my village pub. I like to see the cows, I like to see the farmers. I like to go down in my local farm shop and buy me eggs. And I don't want a load of mock tudor houses getting built on the outskirts of my village. So I mean, so they're a tractors, call them nimbies, but I think and I was happy to go and talk at a meeting in Essex. So I went down to Essex and that the room was packed with all these people, and I sort of said, well, look, farming is the cradle of nature and these guys are just trying to eviscerate farming and they want to build all over it. So rise up my brothers and sisters and to the barricades and they sort of, you know, stood up gingerly because when you get to that age, you do, and because their needs were going these going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a there's an interesting thing there was sort of the traditionalist movement for the British countryside, because you've got reform and then you've got sort of the Voldemor to the Great Yarmouth with the Restore Party, which has very much adopted the tones and lang. Well, the Restore Britain sort of launch thing was Rupert Lowe wandering around a farmyard. Yes, yes, and a lot of their sort of zoomer online commentators. I think they all go to New Forest Clothing to go and buy the cheap tweed, yeah, for their things, but they're sort of there is a they are wearing the skin suit of British rural traditions to separate themselves from the urban thing, which is almost becoming sort of a race divide, which is a very so it's a very I talked to a lot of sort of rural commentator friends. That's a wenky thing to say, but we do have quite a few people who who's sort of you know, their job is to commentate on rural matters in our friend group, and it's becoming a very very interesting thing to watch.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: If you say I like rural things, how like traditional rural things, Well you must be one of these Britain first races. Yeah, it's a strange sort of overlap, and it's the when you go out with the actual communists who really do like nature, you see that actually they make up a lot of the local ecological record keepers or of the plant life type botan ay surveys and things like that. You know, there's a guy who comes around one of there our woodlands who is He does the polypod surveys and the sort of ferns and things like that, and he is the original right to Rome because he'll just walk in a straight line across everyone's land, surveying while smoking a rollie the whole time. But he knows everything about ferns and he's great and you cannot dissuade him from coming up onto your land. But he also is responsible for the record keeping of these quite rare and interesting species. So it's a very weird political landscape you get into when you get into people who really care about nature, because it often overlaps with so many other things.
Speaker 3: The traditions, So nature is a much broader category than like just rural traditions. You feel like a lot of those people that want to keep rural traditions are sort of the people that are fighting against any kind of progressive nature, so that politically that aligns them usually with I don't like change anything that's going to change from you know, nineteen sixty onwards. I'm not doing it. So you get that. But nature, I think, I mean everybody should love nature, right.
Speaker 1: If you think about it, we had the steepest decline in our biodiversity from nineteen seventy to the present day. So in a way, if you've got you know, my my enemy's friend is my friend that one there. I think there is an interesting joined up bit of thinking here is that you may well get the people who want the village Green Preservation Society and your communist fern aficionado would be exactly the people who joined together last weekend. I mean, put it this way. Get this. So I was invited to go and talk at one particular event to Oldham in Essex, and in a piece in the Telegraph about this, the protests were backed by Chris Packham. So therefore you have got me and Packham on the same page completely about an issue.
Speaker 4: And it's not a paper of viewer events.
Speaker 1: Isn't it bizarre? You know, me and Packham on exactly the same page. But our differences are is that he's wandering hand in hand with your communist roll up smoking fern fanatic and I'm with the Village Green Preservation Society people saying you cannot just build all over this vital farmland because farmland can and should be a nature rich environment too. So we're coming at the same issue from different angles. And it's bizarre, is that, you know, if you we always end up talking about politics on this podcast. It's very funny. But the one thing you can say do.
Speaker 4: Make Callum uncomfortable?
Speaker 1: Yeah, The one thing you can say that Starmer has actually done under his is he has bought disparate groups together from across the country with different political motives, but they find a common purpose in despising every fiber of him and his stinking cabow. So well done, SKA brilliant, But I've got a poly.
Speaker 4: Market bet on when he's being kicked out for definitely not knowing about things that is definitely briefed about but didn't know about.
Speaker 1: Tell what it is quite funny height speaking of this talking about Grand old Jukes York.
Speaker 4: Right, we've got where is this go?
Speaker 1: No, no, right, We've got we've got the local elections coming up May the seventh, and the Greens around here being out in force, and they've got a local a local candidate for our ward here is a guy called Andrew Ward war Boys. But because the Greens are so right on, they wouldn't possibly say vote Andrew war Boys. They've just got vote Andrew and some platitude underneath.
Speaker 4: Oh that's got called that's call me Tony vibes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's got to call me Tony vibes. Well, Claire and I came out this thing saying, wouldn't it be funny if we got a load of stickers made up and it said support Andrew that's what it's got. If we got a little stickers with prints really and just stuck them on all the people who had put these things support Prince Andrew outside their houses. But then we thought, no, actually shouldn't do that because it's not very democratic. But it would be quite funny, is that? You know, you could always think Prince Andrew has probably sat in his hovel in Sandringham feeling all unloved and all alone, and then we could send him some pictures say don't worry in rural Suffolk. Her behind you, sir, Sorryunt Matt and windsor they're behind you. Yeah. See see see what if he rises to the bait and he actually does the sort of an unofficial state visit to Finishingham and Westhorpe.
Speaker 4: So before we influence any more geopolitics, because you know, there's been quite a bit over the last month and it's getting quite expensive, can I'd like to just say some thank you. Yes, not to either of you, because no, but I would like to say thank you to everyone who's sent me sort of very nice I hope you get well soon type wishes and sharing their stories and those of you who sort of discovered that because the NHS can't apply dressings properly, I nearly died of sepsis at some point in the next which is why it wasn't around last week. But I want to say particular thank you to the forestry people because Nick, Jonathan, Matthew other Jonathan you have to work out which ones which and a few of the other people sort of they've been very supportive because everyone's had an injury of some type on the job and that's been something very interesting because it is because estries is bloody dangery just for listeners.
Speaker 1: They're on the job of forestry that is not on the job. Yes, sorry, well.
Speaker 4: You know sometimes that's hope, Yeah, burn tickets and all that. The there's also a thing of sort of finding out how the accident happened, you know, and sort of going because you don't want to you don't want to have done something stupid, but you worried that you might have done if you take pride in using a tool or doing something. And Nick Adams of previous repeated guests on here and turns out to actually be quite a good writer as well, who knew is has been very good in going through that. So we went through it all step by step. Anyway, Oh that's what you did. Oh yeah, it's nothing so he Weirdly that meant more to me than sort of, you know, getting a nice new plate on my leg and things like that. So I'd like to say a very public thank you to all the very nice forestry people because you have been in incredibly supportive.
Speaker 2: Most insidant analysis. Yeah, from the man the legend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and apparently I'm not allowed to go when I can walk again, to go and unload a shotgun into the tree. Apparently that's not really. I don't think.
Speaker 1: I've got to go and forgive it instead, Ye.
Speaker 2: Slayer Lorax.
Speaker 3: I think the only way you get over this slayer Lorax, the Lorax, he speaks of the trees.
Speaker 1: Doctor Seuss, I'll read you it one day, okay, Yeah, just do it as a voice note. That would be nice, wouldn't it. Imagine what Claire's expression would be if you say what you're doing on this? In the calum reading me, Dr Seuss.
Speaker 3: My son always picks when it's type of bed. He picks solid Salou, which is a long, whole fread. Most of them are, you know, I can deal with I can deal with green eggs and ham. You know it's a five minute, done and dusted the the His solid salis chunky read.
Speaker 4: That's so. My friend Terry in the United States, who I do some work with occasionally, he for some reason demanded that I got drunk one night and recorded a reading of Go the fuck to Sleep the children's book in so I did it in my very best low tone and that sort of he passed around most of his friends in the town. And then the next year there was an even weirder request which was for Amy to record several sort of words which were going to become You know, when you've got a walkie talking in a radio and you change channel, it says one two. Well, there's a police department in Indianason where where Amy's voice is actually the voice of all the channel names.
Speaker 1: How wonderful for a for a farm in Ireland, you know, And I'm saying, and don't forget it's absolutely wonderful taste of old fashioned Irish hospitality. That's going to really wind up the Republican as well, isn't it telling me today? You know, I actually actually had.
Speaker 3: I actually put a comedy Chinese accent on it, and I actually narrate all Bluetooth speakers come through Ali Express, that's me.
Speaker 2: That was me.
Speaker 3: It was a cheap gig. I picked it up on on fiver So if ever you hear a Bluetooth device is ready to be paired.
Speaker 4: That was me, right, I think it's after after showtime now I'm judging by the fact that produce Amy in the chapters said after show after show, after show, after show for after.
Speaker 1: Show, Well, anyway, isn't it lovely to have Richard back? And good night everybody?
Speaker 3: And nuts?
Speaker 1: Oh what else