Speaker 1: Either we are do you know that the Pagan Podcast becoming a supporter of joining us at this time to continue bust the control.
Speaker 2: Amazing description games.
Speaker 1: For the detect the episode all lot of things. You're a divorce lawyer, family lawyer.
Speaker 2: Forty one years, yeah, forty one years, prow law the last three or so I gave the.
Speaker 1: Four and criminal. There's a lot of probable, protect, a lot of fun, Okay.
Speaker 2: A lot of fun. I have the temperament and it's perfect for that type of law because I don't sometimes have empathy for those around me. So when everyone else is freaking out, our schemes going fully, which my love would say is a problem.
Speaker 1: Another that's not a problem.
Speaker 3: If everyone's freaking out, somebody's gotta you know, gotta keep it cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know you need it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is true.
Speaker 3: That is true, especially in those uh, you know, divorce cases, like emotions are running high as they are. I just wrapped up my own, well not divorce case, but the affair.
Speaker 4: With my ex girlfriends and the mother of my children, So I know first has emotions can can get how high they funny to lay each other.
Speaker 2: Room and so you can imagine what It's like when you are the curing that you're fighting in front of that's going to decide everything you can get, and the challenges have been in turning before a jury in that case.
Speaker 1: I can definitely imagine that we're lucky to here in the Netherlands we don't have a trial by jury. I mean that is not to say that you know, no other third parties were involved, because of course they were, but yeah, no, no trial by jury fortunately. But I can imagine the struggles of having to convince so many people that what they're what they're going to say, what they're going to decide, is the right thing, whatever the right thing may be at that moment exactly.
Speaker 2: And it's like you have to pick the twelve people that's going to be on a jury among the sixty four or five people have a many days it's in a panel that was always careful. I wouldn't pick you to be on my jury if you didn't laugh at my jokes. I wanted people that connected with me would actually laugh at my jokes. If you didn't laugh at my joke, I wouldn't put you on the jury.
Speaker 1: Oh, I actually like that. I like that. You know, the cases like that are, you know, serious and high strong enough as it is. And if you can't can't laugh about something, you know, you got to have a way to keep it light or to you know, make a little fun of the situation.
Speaker 2: What was the sign of can between me and each of the individual drawer?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I understand that. That's that's great, that's great. You've been doing that for twenty two.
Speaker 2: Years, well for forty one years. But I did mainly divorce in criminal law the last twenty two Before that, I investigated arsons for insurance companies. I tried car accident cases or when someone was hurt or when someone was hurt on the job. I would try those cases.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that those are like, isn't there a lot of fraud with those cases?
Speaker 2: Yes? And I have some crazy stories about fraud in those cases and when we discovered them, and crazy things. And it looks like you have a great cat, yes, which goes along with my bad puppy that's underneath me now tangled up. Yeah, no, this is my my kiddy co host. Yes, there's nothing greater than a good cat.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I wouldn't say he's a he's a good cat, you know, he has great agent good, he.
Speaker 1: Has his moments. I mean he's a he's a big red ginger cat. So, and he definitely has that temperament. Although there is something about gingers. I mean, my daughter's ginger, my axe is a ginger, my wife is a ginger, my cat is a ginger. It's almost like I have a type.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he developed a taste.
Speaker 1: I did. I did.
Speaker 2: It's it's.
Speaker 1: Not not always, not always to my my benefits. I have to say, you know that Red had temperaments that just like that fire exactly.
Speaker 2: It could be terrible good.
Speaker 1: Terrible, terrible good, terribly good, Yeah, good, yes, terrible, not.
Speaker 2: Terribly good, terrible book. It's terrible, terrible and it's good.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, I like that. I'm gonna yes, I'm going to use that from now long. Yes, terrible goods. It's terrible and it's good.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes.
Speaker 1: So you have also written a number of books all having to do with like are the old crime stories or crime ish stories.
Speaker 2: Yes, they are faco crime thrillers. And it's really a test of a challenge between two people in the real world chess battle they go through trying to get each other, and it's a struggle between through the books of these two people, a East Texas detective called O c Sim's there's also the comedic relief for the book because there's things about it that are so weird. But these are things that I've come with cross Like Oci has a mustache, and you may have seen a guy with a mustache focus. It doesn't move with his mouth. It moves separately and independent, low in his mouth. So as he's talking, his mass doing one thing, the mustache does something else. It's the weirdest thing I ever saw. I had to put it on my character. Have you ever known someone like that? I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I have known someone like that, but I can. I can definitely envision It's it's it's hard to it's hard to focus when someone like that is, you know, speaking to you, like you're trying to listen, but you know if his mouth and his mustache are doing two like you know, have two different lives.
Speaker 2: And I didn't want to focus when I'm met this guy, and actually he's like a good friend of mine. Now you don't really want to focus. He can fort to watch it because it's so ridiculous.
Speaker 1: So are most of your stories pulled? From real life, from the experiences that you have had.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you, so you know, in your life, at least for me, most people are pretty close to the saying. But every once in a while you come across those characters that are just completely district than everyone else, and you remember those people. There are few, but when you come across one, you know it. Yeah, And these people are people with characters in these books are based upon those people in my life I've come across I'm like, oh my god, that's somebody who that you got to write about. You got to have a character like that, like oc Sims and the guy with the lustache, And there's all sorts of ridiculous things about this guy, like have you ever known I know it all? That actually does know a whole lot of stuff about a lot of things. But it's just a complete know it all about everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah that I hate to say it, but that was my brother. But the and the bad part was indeed that most of the time when he lectured me on things, lecturing is his older brother. I hate to admit it, but more times than not, he was actually right about it.
Speaker 2: On a second, let me get my dog. She's tangled up.
Speaker 1: Oh dear, Yeah, no, of course, of course that is perfectly fine. I'm lucky to have Timmy just laying on my on my lap, making sure that I am comfortable well as a cat.
Speaker 2: I guess thirteen a thirteen year old golden retriever that his that's insane.
Speaker 1: I mean, most golden retrievers are. There's that's why there is such a thing as golden retriever energy. It'szy no, but the the no with all that. That used to be my younger brother. He was three three almost four years younger than me. But when he lectured me on things, because I used to be the rowdy one, you know, the one who just does things, and he used to be the chronic overthinker. He was also, like always very very observant, So when he lectured me on things, when he schooled me on things, I didn't want to listen at that time. But he usually was right about it, and I hate to admit that, and I hated to admit that when he did. But yeah, I told my brother.
Speaker 2: It is not was it not correct that your brother sometimes would fall victim because he was in no at all the people that we could fall him.
Speaker 1: He was too observant for that.
Speaker 2: I was. He was.
Speaker 1: He got lucky. He got lucky when it when it comes to that. I mean that is not to say that, you know, he didn't make any mistakes. Sometimes because of the chronic overthinking, he waited to do things that he should have done, yes a long time ago, but no, he was too observant for that. So really like kudos to him for that, because I never did. Actually, I was usually the one who was getting well, getting fools. Well, I don't want to say getting fools, but my genders they are, yeah, there's something else. I don't know, they're yeah. So.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if you've ever met a psychopath or a sociopath. I don't know if you've ever known one.
Speaker 1: I know, do I have two kits with one?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, one of the other character in my book in the Battle the Life Chess Battle against Osean SAMs is Marylyn, who is a psychopath. I'm known, dude. She's a merger of the two that I've known, and they're in a struggle on can he catch her or can she ruin me? Which one's going to happen first. And in the second book in the Netherlands, have you ever written out a hurricane anywhere?
Speaker 1: I've never experienced one, thankfully, so I've written out five hurricanes.
Speaker 2: When you go through a hurricane, you see and do stuff you wouldn't you would never believe, like man host blowing off and water spewing out two stories high like a fountain, or walking down the middle of a street waste time, floodwater. And let me tell you, there's nothing nastier than fly to God with the gutters spewing on each side of you like a fountain. Okay, and I put my second book, Murdered by Storm. It's a psycho murder thriller daring a hurricane. Look, so I wanted to write I have a helicopter coming out with right now, naturally, but because I wanted to write about all the amazing things I saw in a hurricane. I'm very sorry about that. I can't control air control.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's fine, show up on my audio.
Speaker 2: So it's decoate. And also, you know, we live in a very divided outfield world. Well, people don't think that they can connect. But if you go through a hurricane, you see people helping total strangers. They don't care what you believe. You're religion, your grace. They don't care about any all of that. Someone's in trouble and you see other people that don't even know them putting their lives at risk. They're helping them, and that changes your life. It changes your life, and I wanted to write about that too.
Speaker 1: I want to say a big thank you to the sponsor of today's episodes. Bear Knuckles, the best leather gloves ever made. Experience ultimate comforts and durability with the Bare Knuckles patented design crafted for the natural curve of your fingers, perfect fits and superior protection. These gloves are engineered for superior comfort, reducing hand fatigue and increasing productivity. Made from premium leather, they offer exceptional durability and protection ideal for demanding work environments. So whether you are tackling heavy duty tasks, working in cold weather, or handling delicates and welding jobs, their gloves provide the perfect balance of flexibility and strength. They are most definitely not like the other gloves, who are nothing more than just two layers so on top of each other with a beard thumb. I never liked those kind of gloves. They don't feel right, they hurt after working with them for a while, so that's why I switched to knuckles. And you can go to buy bare knuckles dot com use my coat Grayhorn for a exclusive fifty percent of any product that you get. I can highly recommend them. They are the best gloves on the market. So go to buy bare knuckles dot com use code Grayhorn at checkout for a fifty percent discount of your entire purchase. Thank you to Bare Knuckles for sponsoring this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here in the Netherlands.
Speaker 1: We now here the Netherlands, we know all about flooding, of course, since at least half, if not over half, of our country is below sea level. It's a few days ago. Actually it was another the the remembrance of the the great floods, great breaking of them of the dikes that happened in nineteen fifty three. It was the the single largest disaster, natural disaster that has ever happened in the in the Netherlands, in the province of Zeeland. It was, you know after that that we well, we as a nation dedicated ourselves to combat the water and make sure that you know, something like that never happens again. That is not to say it didn't happen again, it was a few years ago at another I did not know.
Speaker 2: I did not know the dikes ever broke in. Then, well I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I believe it was the just the natural ones. Still like we hadn't had the great like the great works that we put in place to to prevent that. But yeah, water, especially for us Dutch, it's been our greatest ally and our greatest greatest enemy at the same time. So flooding and disasters like that, we are well familiar with it.
Speaker 2: So I mean, so you know about that and the thing that's struggling During the last hurricane that I wrote out, and it was Hurricane Harving in Houston that crept toward the city for two weeks, everyone knowing it was coming, and then it sat on top of Houston for five days. So and Houston got fifty two inches of brain. And I lived in a high rise downtown right across the park to where the refuge center was, so thousands of refugees were there, everybody with nothing, their homes had been destroyed, And so I spent the week of the hurricane walking across the park during the hurricane and helping the refugees. Then after the Hurricane past I spent weeks helping people that didn't have anybody to help them cut their homes so they can get ready for repair, and it changed my life. It was one of the worst things I ever went through and one of the greatest things Simon went through. It's like, you know, Carl Jung writes about you can only reach higher levels of consciousness through catastrophe, and I can tell you that for me, I discovered parts of my subconscious that I didn't know was there during that catastrophe. That parts like I joked about having a lack of empathy not during that time. That opened up whole new windows for him because people needed help and it was life changing. I wanted to write about that too. And I know it sounds weird writing about a psycho crime thriller during the hurricane and writing about the good things about people, but that's what I wrote about. Houston is a very it's a very international city. I know you wouldn't really think about that the stereotype of Texas what it would be, but there's one hundred and sixty languages spoken in Houston. Sixty yes, So it's the greatest international food you could ever find. Anywhere is in Houston, Texas. I've only found two things in the whole world in my travels that you cannot get in Houston, and that is great black fee prawns. You can't get that here. And you can get a great Korean salad which has a live octopus on it. You can't get that in Houston. Those are the only two things I've ever found you can't get in Houston almost as good, are better than where it is locally. Wow, you see all these different races helping, risking their lives to help each other change in your lives. Yeah, just seeing it. The other part of it's even bigger.
Speaker 1: And that is true human nature. That is when you can see that the divide between racist nationalities, that it's all I don't want to say made up, but pushed upon us, forced upon us, maybe even because Yeah, it is in times when the shadow of the world presents itself, the true human nature and the true true light in human nature shines. And I I do like the the Youngian concept of that because I I mean, we've all gone through through harsh times. We've all had our shadow too, to get to know and to integrate into to ourselves and so.
Speaker 2: You are a reader, Carl, you do, really I am.
Speaker 1: I am familiar with with his his works.
Speaker 2: Yes, not many people are. It's pretty tough step to y, but I do love it myself. Yeah, but that's that's this sort of thing that I wanted to include in the Blood. So that's part of the re And also as you dry, as you live through one of these hurricanes, the thing that struck me is that there's nothing that wops away DNA evidence like floodwater, so and police are very busy with other things during hurricanes. It's a perfect time to commit a crap.
Speaker 1: It would actually Yeah. Yeah, So that's so much is so much is happening, so much destruction, and so much filth is flying around, floating around. I mean, for you know, anyone watching, anyone listening, please don't take this as a tip, you know to this is.
Speaker 2: For entertainment purposes, only.
Speaker 1: Entertainments and educational to not do it. No, but wow, I mean that must have made your work lot's a lot harder as well.
Speaker 2: No, it made it much better better, yes, because there's nothing like catastrophes that creates jobs for lawyers because it's nothing but disputes afterwards. So as far as is my practice is a lawyer, there's nothing that nothing like that, because there's always disputes afterwards. Just for example, all the construction work done, because almost every home of two or three million people were severely damaged and had to have repair work done, and disputes occur and litigate it occurs. It just goes on and on and on.
Speaker 1: For anyone who runs a construction company, those are golden times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a sad truth that you have people, construction people from all over the United States rushing to Los Angeles right now because of what's apple. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they see a disaster and they get dollar signs in their eyes.
Speaker 2: Right, It brings that the worst and the best in people. Yeah, but I got to tell you I saw a lot of wonderful things about people during that during thirteen Hardy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, good thing too. And what this is currently going on like the latest disaster, It don't it's it's getting hard to keep up with what happened now or you know who happened now since the whole world is in panic, whole world's and kales. But I even saw that the Amish came to help and started building affordable homes, even at a fraction of the cost and just a small fraction of the time that it would take any other construction company or government institution to build those homes. So that's that's also you know, when you see the communities that usually separate themselves from from society, from the outside world, when they come to help, they mean well, they do good.
Speaker 2: Yes, It's like the seakh community in Houston. There's maybe a million South Asian people that live a little Houston Greater Houston area and the Sea community is a large community within it. Usually they keep themselves separate. But I can tell you I was so inspiring to see my friends that are risk themselves so many times. I actually write about that in the book too. I have Wow, a couple of Sea brothers that risk their lives to save Maryland, the antagonists of the book during the flood, right after she had done something incredibly despicable on that of course, of course, right, I mean a psychopath. What do you think.
Speaker 1: Would it be? Old Sunshine and ruses? Of course?
Speaker 2: And I got to tell you it made the high rise I lived in there mious because I write about the high rise in the book. Dude. During the hurricane. They're like, you're not killing anybody here, are you? And I was like, you don't have to wait and soon. Oh man, is there anything that you have not written into your books? Well, I must say during the thing that shocks me the most about my readers that follow me is they can read about people die but don't kill an animal. It makes them mad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that is That is such a common trope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a miss dog in the second book kind of takes over the some of the scenes of the book because that's the way dogs are, right, especially as the writer when uh, you know, you're writing a character and they start becoming more and more dimensional, so they start taking over the story and you're like, that's not what you're supposed to do in my outline. But that's not what they do because now they become alive. And I got to tell you, my editors and my publishers an't threatening me. Don't you hurt that dog? Don't you hurt that dog? As they were reading chapters. Of course you'll have to find out yourself is a reader or what happens, but that is part of the story.
Speaker 1: It is interesting how we so often seem to attach more value to the lives of our of our pets, whether they be you know, dogs, cats, hamsters. I've seen it in so many, so many movies as well, and you'll see so many people say it is like, you know, I can I can watch people dying on screen. That is perfectly fine. But when a beloved pet, for example, is in danger, that's when they're you know, most emotional. I guess the greatest example that I know is I Am Legends. I believe it is with Will Smith the whole like Zombie vir movie, so many people seen at the near the final act of the movie when the dog does indeed become infected. It broke so many people because I don't know, you know, it's his pet, it's his companion. And when he you know, blows himself up, I mean, yeah, okay, it's it's a heroic deed, but oh, you know the dog and.
Speaker 2: It's so yeah, it's funny. Fact in fact, forgot my point on that. But that was that becomes and they become a very strong character in these buds. And I have a little girl on the book, and it made my publishers and editors very nervous, and the story went on, but it was a real challenge. But I'll say in that book, in the first book Murder for Me, Maryland is able to get men to do what she wants. This is she is not a beautiful woman, She's just an okay looking woman, but she's aided. She's able to do it man to do she and seth sets. I had so many by readers say how did she get men to do that? And why she who she is? So I had to work very hard in the next book, murder by Storm, to write from her perspective, to explain where's she's from, why is she the way she is, and how does that work with me? And that was one of the real intellectual challenges murder by Storm is to write convincingly organically from the perspective of a woman. Because I had to answer those questions. I can absolutely understand that that's you know, it's tricky too, you know, especially in these well more uh, let's say politically correct times. As a man, to know right from a woman's perspective, or even read from a woman's perspective, it can be tricky because men and women, I mean, we are very different, we think very different, we're wired.
Speaker 1: It's incredibly different. So, yeah, that's that's difficult, especially when your female lead is a psychopath. That's even.
Speaker 2: And it had to be organic, had to be natural. So it was I was a lot of rewrites, a lot of work. But every book that I write, I have some real intellectual challenge because that's how I motivated myself. What is my change to go beyond my abilities nets? And in that book, it was to write to answer the questions from her perspective to a point where the reader says, Okay, I get it, I know why I sees the way she is. Maybe i'd be that way too.
Speaker 1: Understanding the understanding the villain, empathizing with the villain. That's if you are able to write like that, that is amazing. It's it's hard, but it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but a character that's not a character that's just black and white is not interesting to me. I'm not interested in that. No, Well, the layers of life in a character, it's very hard. It's not done. If you can't do.
Speaker 1: That, true, that's true. If if it's all just black and white, I mean that's not realistic either. I mean boring, boring, Yeah, exactly, it's no challenge.
Speaker 2: It's not entertaining.
Speaker 1: And we all know people like that in real life as well, or we have heard of people like that who just you know, try something and succeed right away, and it is it irks people when that happens. You know, everyone is always you know, trying and fighting for the things that they that they want, for the things that they need, and then somebody just try something, does something and succeeds. I don't like you, you know.
Speaker 2: And in my next book, murder by Trial, that's the next book. Coming as to what I'm writing now, have you ever read a Confederacy of the Donsins It was a Politzerprise winning book. And the piece there is a character in that book so unforgettable and so loathsome at the same time that I was part of my challenge. Can I write a character so multi dimensional and so loathsome and at the same time so unforgettable that the reader cannot put the book now because they gotta find read what's next to this character? That's my challenge. So see, I'm going to the next level of trying to write a character that's interesting.
Speaker 1: That is a great challenge. Indeed, that is a great challenge. Indeed, and you have written at least one short story about somebody tried to try to curse you, try to like, who do who do curse you? And you said right before we started recording that it was actually a funny story. Now I have to say, I don't really associate curses or being cursed with, you know, funny, unless it's a Disney story perhaps, But even that, if we're talking early Disney, even that wasn't really funny. So how did how did that come to be?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: What did you do that? Well, the other one thought it was necessary and appropriate to try and curse you because you don't seem like the type of guy who deserves a curse.
Speaker 2: To me, Well, you don't know, Lee, That is true.
Speaker 1: That is true.
Speaker 2: I must say I've done so many podcasts no one said this question. No one's done that research. All my compliments are to you, sir, that you would see that and ask me about that. When you first asked me before the show, I was a little shocked and very impressed. So I just wanted to give you my compliment.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you.
Speaker 2: When in meetings in Huston, Texas, when the oil prices crashed, people found themselves underwater in their mortgages, and one of the ways people would solve that problem is they would burn their house down and try to collect the old shirts pay off the mortgage classic And I was hired by insurance companies to investigate the arsons proved that the insurance had burned their house down, and then the insurance company wouldn't put So we're talking about very desperate people in financial trouble, so desperate that they would burn their house down, and I was the one trying to destroy their plans. So that is why I was someone they wanted to do that too. Now I didn't know Houston is very close to New Orleans. After Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, a lot of the population of New Orleans moved to Houston. Almost has one hundred year connection with New Orleans inlo So Houston and New Orleans is very connected. And so I had I had a case where a lady had allegedly done down her house and I was hired to investigate it, and she was very frightened. Now, one of the things I didn't know about Voodoo and the Houston area. It's not called vooboo, it's called hugo. They pronounced it differently. It's called Houdin here, not Boody. And so they actually made a doll of me and somehow stole some possession of mine to make it a part of the doll is that's part of it. But their problems, their their problem was, I didn't know about it, So how are they gonna scare me into not investigating if I don't know about it? Right? Because because whatever it is about who do it really is to scare someone. So they had they had to figure out, how are they going to let me know that she's has a dollar means he's doing who did? So she actually had one of her friends call me at the office one day. And this is when I was young, very smart, eleochy, brass lawyer. All the stereotypes of a young nineteen eighties lawyer was every stereotype, like if you want, if you've ever watched the movie American Psycho, there's brash stuff in that movie that we were doing. They put in that movie. It's like I can tell young men now, yeah we did that, And they're like, really, I mean it's.
Speaker 1: The nineteen eighties. Everything everything goes in the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 2: It was crazy, not from the world. We look at now. But anyway, so she called me and she was very frightened. She was like, are you alone? I need to tell you something very dangerous. She was sad. I did very worried boy. She said, so and so had made up hoodoo do all of you and you're in great danger and you need to know about it. She went on and on about the danger I was in. Well, I've been married forty and I got married on Friday the thirteen? Am I just superstitious? Mike Michael said into office. I'm just a little stiffish. But so you get married on Friday the thirteenth, you're not superstitious. So I was who I was then, the brash young lawyer. So she when finished her whole pitch, so I would be scared, so I wouldn't investigate. My first response was, when she finishes, can I buy that doll from her? Because I want that doll. I would left hand that on my desk. She would She just hung up on me. Really yeah wow, because it didn't work right because I wasn't just afraid.
Speaker 1: But that sucks, all right.
Speaker 2: So the joke is that I wanted to buy the doll when they finished doing who did because not because I was scared, not because I wanted to destroyed her, because I wanted to, hope put it on my desk because I thought that that would be so great. Years later, someone shot two twenty two bullet hose through my conference window, and when the office was going to fix them, I said, no, I don't want you to replace the window. I want you to just put that plastic stuff and seal the host. I want those bullet hose to stay there, because whenever I had new clients come in to talk to me, I always would showing the bullet O. See you're hiring the lawyer that even gets shot at.
Speaker 1: Wow, So you were using it for bragging rights.
Speaker 2: Really exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean I get that. I get that. And just having a whodo or who doo doll of yourself on your desk, I mean, yeah, that's that's a good way to show to clients or potential clients like see, you know, I mean business, I am business. I mean I have proof right here on my desk. I'm doing such a such a good job. I'm being so thorough that people are even trying to curse me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I liked it. I never got that doll though.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a shame. Yeah, that's a shame would be in I was thinking like it would be like a cool Christmas ornament as well to like to hang up in the tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my wife really doesn't agree with my dark sense of humor about It's got really into my dark sense of him where It's like when I was writing Murder for Me and I was writing about Maryland. If you're an author, you've become buried in your characters. You're obsessed with your characters. That's the only way they can become alive. And I remember what actually, when I first started writing it, she had a different name. So in my sleep one night, she came to me in my sleep. I know this sounds weird, but it's shirt. It's like she grabbed me by the collar and said, that's not my name. My name is Maryland. So I woke up the next morning, I'm like, I was talking about life. I said, Maryland came to me in my sleep last night, and she's like, who the hell is Maryland? Who are you dreaming about? I said, this is my character, the character, the antagonist, the psychopath in my books. She came to me, Majory. She was like, don't talk about that anymore. You creaked me out. So she doesn't really agree with my dark sense.
Speaker 1: And yet you have been married for all that time, so there must be something about you.
Speaker 2: I can la.
Speaker 1: That's always good, That is always good, but like a wow, your character actually no, your character actually came to you in your your dreams. So she she is alife in a way.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she's been with me for Lawrence. She went with me since I really put the two people that i'd actually met into one character and started writing, you know, character development about her. In fact, when in the character development, which has never been published, she was just the shadow. She was just a shadow for a long time and a developed as a character. Shelley took woman form, you know, several chapters later in the character development that I was writing, and that was only in my own mind. Is that developed who she was as a dimension? Don't care?
Speaker 1: Okay, Wow, that's amazing. I mean that's like, that's that just means that you're a.
Speaker 2: Great weird.
Speaker 1: Because I'm a weird now, dude, that too. I suppose your words, not mine, But no, that's that's that's special. That means that you have I mean, that's it's something that I I touched on another another podcast a while ago actually with a friend of mine, was more like about about gods and stuff, because you there are so many well made up gods, if you will, from video games and books and all of that. And I am really wondering, you know, so much time and energy has been spent into creating, into developing a backstory so that you know, it can have followers and such like I do wonder could you perhaps say that because of all the time and energy and effort that has been put into it, have they become real gods? And I guess with your with your character with Marilyn, you have put so much time and efforts and energy into her as a character, into her character developments, even going so far as to flesh out her backstory, she became real.
Speaker 2: You said, like you read Lunch?
Speaker 1: Do you read LUNCHI I am familiar with with his sound like the Nisch's writings.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what you said, Like.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I do like that side of a philosophy. I do like that side of the more more occult thinking.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and Nietzschi comes. You know, Nietzsche is basically based upon uh here Studios were almost contemporaneous.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And Nietzsche, if I'm not mistaken, was a yeah, and it was a student the Freud, wasn't he.
Speaker 2: No, God, Young was a student of toys Young was.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was it.
Speaker 2: Yes, In fact they were very close. And then they had a terrible falling out over Young's shadow. Yeah, believes because Freud didn't believe it. Subconscious they and totally disagreement about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, Freud had other things on his mind.
Speaker 2: N was more of the right. Nietzsche was more of the German philosophy st And that's why I read dose Stanski every year because Doski was the Dosski was trying to count or argue against Nietzsche, but he did it through fiction, not nonfiction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I mean I am I am Dutch, So you know those works are are very well known here.
Speaker 2: That where you're lucky they're not here. That's a good thing about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I mean just European philosophers in general, both Dutch and German have come up with some great works. And there are a couple of content creators that I follow that really pull from Nietzsche, from Young, and I like those I like book wise, I have read a lot of Julius Evela his work so more traditionalism, which I also found find very very fascinating. Those are their hearts. They're hard reads.
Speaker 2: But yes, if I read too much Nietzsche, I get depressed. So I can read it for a while, then I have to leave it alone for six lives. Yeah, that leaves you.
Speaker 1: I do hope he is able to come back. It seems our guest has has disappeared. Let's see, I'm hoping he can't come back. Ye, I'm good. We lost each stuff. Let's see if I can because I was in contact with his his agent, are you agent to get him on the show? So I am kind of hoping that I can find just contact info for for Russell himself. But yeah, I guess in the meantime, and we're before editing, but we're about fifteen minutes in. Okay, is he yes? You disconnected for a for a moment there? Can you can you hear me? Dear? This doesn't happened in a while. Actually that my me or my guest is now, Yes, yes, sir, I can, I guess we're I'm we're touching. Sorry we lost and then he gets lost again. Well, it seems that the link is still working at the very least, so that is that is good?
Speaker 2: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: I guess In the meantime, i'll I'll promote some of his things. You can find his works and his books through his website Russelllittleauthor dot com. I will share my screen real quick just to show it. Here we go, so for everyone listening, Russell are you s S E L L.
Speaker 2: Little? Just you know Little.
Speaker 1: Author dot com has mont won multiple awards, is working on his new book, of course, great picture. Let's see O see gut a are you are you back? Can you hear me? Can you see me?
Speaker 2: Yes? I am, I'm so sorry. I think they were leaving each other at least it wait until the show was almost down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's uh, it actually has has happened before that. My guests and I were touching on so many, so many great things that the the ether couldn't handle it and just you know, either throw through me out or threw my guests out. But it hasn't happened in a while actually, so I guess it's pretty special that it it happened again.
Speaker 2: Wow, I've really enjoyed it. I don't get to talk about Nietzsche and Young and who did very often on the podcast, and I've really got a day. I've really enjoyed the heck out of it.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, thank you. I mean you're you're always welcome to to come back on, of course, and I will. I will definitely check out your your books. They they sound like, you know, like an amazing series, like amazing writing. And I've gotten very very curious about about Marilyn. I have to say she she sounds terrible, but like a character that's that you want to get caught. Yeah, well we'll see if she can get got that sounds that sounds promising, sounds very sounds very promising. Yeah, and I I never I didn't imagine we go into the direction of Nietzsche and Young and who doo and it's it's all very very diverse. But yeah, thank you so much for coming on. This has been has been really really great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I I did, uh, you know, show the people and told people a little before you like in the in the the time that you were trying to come back, but I could.
Speaker 2: See you, you just couldn't see me. So I appreciate that so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is interesting but yeah, where may may the people find your your work? Where can they buy the books to read about Maryland and to to read about you, potentially possibly getting who do Voodoos Cursed?
Speaker 2: Okay, so my books are on Amazon. If they want to read about who do more about me, they can go to Russell Little author dot com, but not big but little Russell Little author dot com. If they want to know what I'm doing day to day as a writer, they can go to Facebook Russell's stories. Like I posted something about this show before I got on it, I'll have something different about the show afterwards. If you will send me the link, I will post it all over the players.
Speaker 1: That is much appreciated. I have a backlog of content still to release. What I can I can make some rooin room in between. I can, Yeah, I can. I can do some of my own WHODO and move it up in the move it up in the list so it releases a little earlier. I can. I can definitely do that. So yeah, thank you for your amazing, amazing stories. I mean this was just a drop in the bucket, of course, And thank you.
Speaker 2: For your conversation. I got to tell you I would buy you a beer you're cold. I would love to talk more.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely, thank you very much. As I said, you're always welcome to come back on to to talk so more, to you know, talk about different passions, projects, to talk about Nietzsche, to talk about young, talk about.
Speaker 2: Maybe next time whatever, sorry I said, maybe next time we'll talk about Priest.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'd have to catch up on his work. I am, I am familiar with it. There's so many great European authors that I still have to read, so many European philosophers that I still have to get familiar with. But that's that's a full time job on.
Speaker 2: It so own.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm just gonna, you know, close it out for myself. So for everyone watching, everyone listening, thank you so much. I hope you enjoyed this as much as we both did. And if you did, do leave something nice in the comments. So what do you think about Marilyn, Like, do you do you hope she's she will get caught If you do, you know better buy his books and find out.
Speaker 2: So yeah, of.
Speaker 1: Course I leave alike on this video. Suddenly something nice in the comments. Make sure you are subscribed to not miss a single single bits, not a single episode, and do ring that notification bell to get notified whenever I go live again, whenever I go live with Zero Lath or with any other guest that I find worthy of, you know, just doing a live show with I can't do it all the time. But and of course when a new episode drops off the Greer and Pagans Podcast. And a big thank you to our sponsors Shop Reclaim Repurpose and his awesome, amazing handcrafted nefotafele set that is Viking Chess, a really cool action packed two player strategy game Chess as our ancestors used to play it, all handmade handcraft is he does it all himself. If you go to shop Reclaim Repurpose dot etsy dot com and use code Stein Fox Toughle TAFL, you can get ten percent of your purchase. I can highly recommend it. I have, of course, you know, bought hit his game myself before actually before he started sponsoring us. That's it's the whole reason why I I was like, hey, dude, like, would you mind you know, like sponsoring us, Like it's you got such a cool game, and like you can you can use the you can use the customers, you can use the money. I can use the sponsorship so and also a big thank you to W Energy. W is a clean energy drink that is made to give you focus with no crash, jitters or angst like any other energy drinks we have all you know had too much caffeine and too much sugar in our our energy drinks. You know red Bull, Monster, God's knows. I was addicted to Monster, but Dobbie is just much better. They also have no meltodextrin. Fillers do not use any artificial dies contains vitamins I meanw acids in nootropic and a good one hundred and fifty milligrams of caffeine. If you go to w dot gg use code stein Fox ten you can get ten percent of your entire purchase your whole basket, and yeah for everything else that we do. Go to our website ww dot Grayhornpagans dot com. It is where you can find the merge, where you can find the Patreon, where you can find all the other projects that are our listeners or friends or members have done and are doing. If you are serving the web, why not also go to russelllittleauthor dot com check out some of his work. It's only you know it's a it's one click new tap russelllitleauthor dot com and you know it is much appreciated. So thank you all very much and I will see you soon. I will see you next time on a new episode with a new amazing guest on the Grand Pagans Podcast.
Speaker 5: See yeah, this was yet another amazing episode of the Greyhorned Pagans Podcast.
Speaker 6: We thank you all for watching.
Speaker 5: We thank you all for listening.
Speaker 1: Remember to like.
Speaker 6: Share, subscribe, and hit that notification bell so you will be notified whenever we upload something new. Support us on Patreon for early access and for everything else that we do with the tribe. For everything else that we do with the podcast, find us on Wwwpagans dot com. For now, we thank you, and until next time,