Speaker 1: So it's quite sensible as we haven't got Callum with us this week, so I don't want any knob gags.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, can you imagine it's episode sixty nine today? I mean, can you imagine where he would be right now?
Speaker 1: I don't want to imagine where Callum is in a.
Speaker 2: Sixty nine No, No, he'd definitely be at the wrong end, wouldn't he.
Speaker 3: So yes, no, so Callum isn't.
Speaker 2: Here Richard because he is off stalking, not in a sinister way.
Speaker 3: To add, what is deer?
Speaker 1: So it might be sinisterly stalking deer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, sinisterly stalking deer.
Speaker 2: Do you know I was talking to Goldie today because I was telling the other day about how I've sort of got him lots and lots of customers all of a sudden who want to buy his boxes of.
Speaker 3: These deer boxes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and Jack in the box, Jack in the bar. You know, I'm going to register that.
Speaker 2: Before Rester, that whilst we're on air, before some blighter nix it. But do you know he was telling me today because I mean it's quite bizarre. You imagine he and I together. He likes to talk, I like to talk, but we just talk at one another, very rarely listening to what one another has to say. Yeah, exactly like all men do. But anyway, he was taking then talking me through his days stalking the other day and he was saying, and it was just talking about then I got to this clump of bramble, then turn left because the wind had done this.
Speaker 3: That and the other.
Speaker 2: And you know, if the only difference it being from like a Graham Downing piece in the shooting times is that Graham Downing would have resulted at the end of his lengthy diatribe about going with the wind and hiding behind this tree, and that with one deer shot, Gouldy had six month jack, one red and two row.
Speaker 3: So that's the.
Speaker 2: Difference really is it's it's the quality is the same, but the quantity is markedly different. Yes, so's he's been doing? Is stuff out there in the field.
Speaker 1: Is there a sort of the difference between stalking for pleasure versus stalking as a job as part of wildlife management?
Speaker 3: Utterly that Richard one hundred And I think.
Speaker 2: It's where one of the problems of the deer over abundance that we have, I think we talked about last week, but I think it's worth reiterating it is that there is deer stalking evolved sort of lowland deer stalking anyway, evolved as a sort of a hobby, courtesy really of Richard Pryor trying to raise the profile and the value which we have for the row because they were before Richard Pryor sort of wrote his book on Roadie, they were considered as basically vermin, and they were treated as such, And I would agree wholeheartedly with them. They deserve our kind regard and careful care emittedly with a rifle when needs be. But he was never writing in a time when we were riddled with non native over abundance.
Speaker 1: Hell of a comedian, though, Yeah, try.
Speaker 2: To skin himself once, didn't He? He was on is it MDM A or something?
Speaker 1: I think it's or is it crack crack?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's on something which is which the Greens want to legalize, and skin himself.
Speaker 1: I'm on the edge of my knowledge here with my illicit substances exactly. I grew up on a very strong.
Speaker 2: Exactly on which note, I'm drinking Henry Western's and.
Speaker 3: I'm drinking that in celebration of.
Speaker 2: Nick Over in the Forest of Dean because Adams, Nick Adams, because I think am I correct in saying that Herefordshire is his manner.
Speaker 3: And also it was on four for three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the co op in Bottersdale, so yes, So it wasn't really for Nick. It was because it saved me three pounds fifty for a bottle of cider.
Speaker 3: That's what it really did.
Speaker 1: I love how when then sort of rural dramas and TV things, and when the ben Elson used to make films about the British countryside, the everyone shops are sort of little quaint village shops run by somebody and it's all local produce and things like that, and people tried to make that happen in the countryside. But really, if you are coming back from a long day of working in the woods of the forest or wherever, you end up going into spa co op, yeah, petrol station, whichever is open, which involves the minimum number of steps between the truck door.
Speaker 2: The and let's be perfectly honest, the reason for that is because the little places that were village shops have now been converted into houses by people who vote Green and then demand that there aren't village shops anymore. And you know, it's it seems to me to be something that slightly oxymoronic. Is that all these people who say, oh, we haven't got a village pub anymore, did you go to the village pub?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: No, but but you know it's important that we have them. It's it is is most of the stuff I do. I was in London the other day to go and talk at the Game Farmers Association an your general meeting, and I stayed. In fact, I spoke to you from there, didn't I from is Lincoln.
Speaker 1: You're speaking to me live from withinside Islington.
Speaker 2: Indeed, yes, you know there were people who actually like Keir Starmer there, which is a rare old place. It's you know, it's a bit like sort of and seeing it endangered species.
Speaker 1: Did you ever find out whether your hotel had themed rooms or whether they all look like that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I do, you know.
Speaker 2: I just didn't have the confidence to go and burst into someone else's room and say, my mate, Richard, what thinks thinks that you've got a themed room? No, no, I'm not going to hurt you. Put your phone down that it's okay. No, I didn't do that. But let's say that they might have done. But anyway, say a lovely place called the Hambury in Islington, not that far from the Angel Islington, which players of Monopoly will know. Well, yeah, exactly, always a good thing by the Angel is linkedon don't buy the old Kent Road always rubbish.
Speaker 1: Cheap crap, rent.
Speaker 2: Crap rent rubbish, rent may fair a bit too expensive, but anyway, yeah, So I was there for the Gang Farmers Association, and when I was speaking there, I found one of the you know, I completely lost my train of thought.
Speaker 3: Now on Monopoly. What were we talking about?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: Well, why did I say I had to go to London.
Speaker 1: You had been asked to not speak at the Game Farmer's thing, but you did it anyway.
Speaker 2: I forced my way to the front, so get out of the way.
Speaker 1: Why we should not hold this meeting? And then a hedge layer rams himself into the back of the auditorium.
Speaker 2: Do you know it is funny sometimes when you go and do this and you have to try and remind yourself why you're there, you know, rather than just going the usual old thing. When I'm speaking at something about hedges, you have to try and sort of make it relevant to the game farmers or you know, whichever farming organization or whatever you've done. And it would be quite funny if Claire had switched my speech and I was doing actually the one that i'd done to the Guild of Agricultural Journalists, and I started berating all these game farmers that they were really rubbish, not writing for any other publication other than the Farmer's Weekly.
Speaker 3: But I didn't do that, but it was a lovely thing.
Speaker 2: And one of the things I found about that bit of London is that if you were actually after and that's what I remembered I was talking about now, is that that bit of London, it still had a slight villagey feel and they had lots of little shops along their sort of esplanade of a high street that had everything from the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, and they've clearly were working. So we've almost got the villages of London still exist. But the villages of well, certainly rural Suffolk, they're dying on their asses. There's nothing here in our village at all other than a pub which opens three days a week.
Speaker 1: There's only three quarters high as well, and Bova, you've got the lowest ceilings in your pub of anywhere in England.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, well actually just down the road the four Horseshoes at Thorn and Magna, that is ridiculously low. I mean I have to walk around like Qusi modo to get around there. Is it really is quite painful if you hit your head there.
Speaker 1: So it's a weird thing when you go to London when you sort of think I'm going to get on the tube here and go or a taxi or whatever and go across to this bit and then go to this bit and this bit and then inevitably back to the station or your hotel or whatever. And you think if I was back home and I've gone across half the county in that distance that you've traveled, but you've gone past so many facilities and you know, shops and little communities, as you say, And this is I think it's the argument behind that fifteen minute city, which will park the conspiracy theory to one side. Not oh yes, that'll you'll be in your fifteen minute city and not allowed to leave, is the one of the things, which yeah, but that is sort of the idea that every sub community is self contained in terms of daily needs in a way that rural areas used to be but really can't be now because the economics have shifted so much that you can't you can't reclaim what you've lost because all the buildings it used to be a little shop or whatever an our four HOLDI lets, yeah.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: I mean I did notice when I was staying down in the Cotswolds on my book tour, because you.
Speaker 1: Do get about, don't I know.
Speaker 2: I know because that is basically London that has moved to the move to.
Speaker 1: The Cotswolds, the Chelsea Garden.
Speaker 2: The Chelsea Garden, that there they do still have lots and lots of various shops selling stuff because it's almost that there they've gone, well, yeah, we've got loads of money and we're going to live here and we want all this luxury of being able to bimble down to the artists and baker the artists and butcher that, and then they'll pay for it.
Speaker 3: But I think here in the.
Speaker 2: Rest most normal rural Britain, we haven't got the money to go and fork out on artisan and loaves. And secondly, I say we don't really have the time because even if I mean I was working in Norfolk at the moment on their hedge out there, which is only like forty five minutes away. But you get back anything, the shop's not going to stay open for me because I'm back home now at are past five. They want to have normal shop hours, whereas it seemed to be in the Cotswolds. There's lots of people with sufficient time on their hands to do their shop with a basket, lots of wicker baskets.
Speaker 3: I noticed.
Speaker 1: That should be a T shirt, shouldn't it, Sire Ancestor is not the real world. It's not exactly is this a parallel universe because it had family that's used to get shipped after the Cotswolves for a few summers, and it really is. Even then in the eighties and nineties it was detached from civilization in a weird way. I mean that everyone who made decisions about our day lives either had a house there, or holiday there, or went there. But in terms of the countryside, it is not like say, rural Derbyshire or Leicestershire or somewhere like that. And it's certainly not like you know, we're in a relatively poor county here. Even for whales. My whales' is standards, which is not mucking well, it's just you know, in the rankings we are and we don't have local shops in that sort of way. There's a little strip on the coast which is being gentrified slowly over the years, and tourists are sort of pushing that a little bit, but also people just moving there because they realized they can buy a five story Georgian seafront house for the price of what they used to pay for parking in London, so they're buying that. And then little shops and businesses are popping up to to sort of service that climantel, and you're getting these artists and bakers and brewers and all these little things starting to pop up. It's great for people like my mate Hugh because now he can sell beef and milk and all these other things. He's doing broiler poultry next direct to customer for a premium, and he's because these things are starting to pop up. But once you get away from that strip, we just don't have that. We don't have those nice little local places, or as I said earlier, the only places that are left open are Nisa and Spa and Oldie. Really Oldie is like is the dominant shop now it's the glow on the hill you can see five miles away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know, I think that's absolutely right, And it's debatable, my mother said to me, because she's from Southwold, born and bred, so as Southwold as a place that is as near as dammit a.
Speaker 1: The police arriving behind you.
Speaker 2: Now that's one of Charlie's friends going off because obviously we don't have street lights here, so these sensible young people have to wear head torches.
Speaker 1: So being raided.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine that's something that kids in sort of urban areas that go so, well, stay where the street lights are, you'll be safe. Well, you'd be hard pushed to stay near the street lights here because I think the nearest ones are in Stowe Market, which is eight miles away. But there you go, Southwareses, my mother said to me, and she had a bit of a sort of start realization because you know, she was a Southwarld girl, born and bread and then only what three years ago they moved in here to mid Suffolk, into the other house, and she she said that, if you think about it, the reason why Southwold has stayed as this pretty tweet place that people still remember it. It looks much the same as it did fifty years ago.
Speaker 3: When I was a boy.
Speaker 2: Is courtesy of the fact that it has gentrified itself in a way, because otherwise it would have turned into low Stuff, which is one of the most depressed places, or a great Yarmouth, which is again another hugely depressed place, because that didn't gentrify itself. It didn't say, well, we're going to have all these folks live here. And you know, Southwold is stuffed with nice little shops, but it isn't the place that it used to be. And so I guess if you're like a lot of the time when because you said, you know, Sirencester isn't real world. Where are a lot of rural books, not novels, you know, and and crime dramas and if they're not in London, they're based in rural areas which are basically the Cotswolds, or if it's got a touch of the sea, oh it's based in Southwold, because it's place that people imagine the countryside is like, they don't actually imagine it that it is that you've got to go to the spa because that's the only place that you've got to go. And the reason why you aren't popping up the pub is because your local Green Party counselor bought it cheap and has now turned it into something called the Old Roseen Crown. And that's the reality in most countryside is that you've lost your pubs because no one works on farms anymore, and if they do, they ain't they're in enough density to keep a pub going. We used to have in Finningham, in my little village here, we used to have a football team who there's an old cutting in the pub put in behind a in a glass case, you know, the Finningham Flyers were. There was a sort of thing written in nineteen seventy eight how they'd got promoted the idea that you could get a football team together. Now in Finningham, a village of four hundred and thirty souls, was quite doable back in nineteen seventy eight. Now you couldn't do that unless it was walking football with a zimmer frame, as you think, because most people are either very nearly dead or actually dead in my village, or otherwise they've moved here for a feeling of light and space and they've bought two cottages and knocked him into one because much like you say, they've realized it's quite cheap here in mid Suffolk compared with the coast, so they're now just trying to go and gentrify this place into a beige color.
Speaker 1: What happened in my native county Dutchy Kingdom where we call it of in the eighties was people started retiring from London to there for the cheap houses, and then that we sort of rolled into either you inherited your parents' home that they retired to in Cornwall and they became the family second home, or you then move down there when you retired after having rented it out for twenty five years. And there's this constant cycle. And that's what's happening up in North Wales now. People retired here in the nineties and then they started dying off in the last twenty years, and then new people have come in to retire into those homes. So it's just this constant we are sort of the gray tapering out of the population. It's all come to these rural areas and it's a massive strain on things like hospitals and stuff like that because as you get old, you normally have more contacts with the NHS and services like that, and it means that the orientation of the economy and local services goes towards either tourists, people out of work because there's no industry left, or the elderly. And that's it and loads year three is just screwed.
Speaker 2: Is it the same in Wales that local authorities have been handed the battle that they are now responsible for social care for financing that to.
Speaker 1: Send budget is about to bankrupt our county council.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I can imagine it here. I mean it's one of these things. I saw that the latest announcement from the pole pot of the of Labor that Castle, the woman who runs the education department, might I have a bitter and twisted thing about it because she's slapped twenty percent VAT on Charlie school fees, which I couldn't really afford anyway, and now I can even less afford.
Speaker 3: But anyway, she's saying, oh, yes, we're going to.
Speaker 1: Incorporate the Suffolk problem.
Speaker 3: I know it's a problem. I'm a hedge layer, lot of hedge fund manager. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The challenge that that she's set which in a way I can get this idea that send kids in a special educational needs and difficulties or something that rather than sending them off to specialists schools where they can be helped. She said that whether she's going to put more resource throw more money. Quite where that's going to come from, I don't know, but anyway she's going to throw more money for true that from the magic money tree. I think as Gordon Brown in the background with a little sing and printing money. That's what they've given him is a job. Now he's retired from mainstream politics. He didn't take her and he didn't become a lord to stuff that I'm going to print money anyway, So he's she said they're going to do that now. It's a fascinating thing, this idea that you're going to be able to increase the facilities and teacher numbers for special educational needs. When you look here in Suffolk we have primary schools which are still most of them are on the footprint of the little old village schools that we had. They then go and say, well we'll close that schools only are twenty eight pupils, move all them to that school and they've still got the same tiny little footprint, but they've decided that this is the place. But most of the time their footprint was designed to have sort of forty to fifty pupils maximum across the whole school. And now they've managed to shoe horn a hundred kids in. And now they're going to say, well, everyone who's got a special educational need, no only are you going to go and be sent to this mainstream school, but you're also going to have a teacher plus a helper, and where are these how do they physically fit it in. It's just something which once again the theory is probably quite sound, is that if you have a child who's got all the various tisms and NHDT whatever they're called, all that stuff, I suppose they might get on better if they're with their peers of kids who don't have that, but they can't physically fit them in. And then some more on in the housing department decided that oh, yes, yes, yes, we're going to build loads more houses in villages. Now everything's flooded because they've buggered up all the all the drains because they've now put another one hundred and forty mock Georgian homes in called something ridiculous like the skylarks.
Speaker 3: Holy here we are the lap wings.
Speaker 1: So he's named after things that used to live there before.
Speaker 3: You have that house.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's right, and now they've died courtesy of having this thing there.
Speaker 3: And then the view, yes, and then they put on there.
Speaker 2: These are four bedroom family homes, so presumingly you're trying to go and sell them to families who then discover to their horror that the primary school in their village. They think it's been nice because we can walk the kids to school. It's so much nicer than when we lived in Hartford or Harlowe or somewhere like that. So now we live here and we've got more house because it's cheaper. But they've they can't do that because it's a full and b it's now full of send kids because Bridget Phillipson's decided that every single child has got to go and go there. And then they go, let's walk down to the village shop. Oh shit, that shop, let's go and drink our sorrows away. We can't because the local green councilor lives in the old Rosen Crown I mean, so they basically turned half the villages in Suffolk into dormitories and when I become Prime Minister, I'm going to reverse all that every village.
Speaker 3: Yes, can you imagine it? Can you imagine it? Yes?
Speaker 1: Like you say, we've got the we have a slightly different situation here because everything has the flavor of Welsh language. Okay, up on it and you know, do we have lived here a long time? And do we in case you're shadowed camerag But it's an element within that as well on top of the end budget, so.
Speaker 3: They have to speak Welsh's well.
Speaker 1: There are different schools. You have Welsh language schools where the teaching medium is in Welsh or mostly in Welsh, and then you have English language schools which have an element of Welsh in the education, which means effectively you can only have funding for two primary schools per area, and all the other village primary schools close and they shuttle everyone into like super primary schools.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So we've got one at the edge of the town here which sort of absorbed about four local primary school so village schools, including the one in hour village now which is about to become houses. Also that they can go to one place because it was just the most efficient way to run it.
Speaker 3: Who lobbied for that then, Richard that labor.
Speaker 1: Was labor labor here pretty much, but on the send thing as well. There's an element of diagnosis, an over diagnosis. And I mean it used to be that if you were sort of diagnosed with ADHD and you couldn't sit dill and you kept doing dangerous things, you just went off to go and have a career in forestry or something like that, or go and join the army you did want to. I've got a friend who works in the US on he's a veteran and now he works for they called VA Veteran Affairs, so they have their thing there and he has been on this long study about PDSD. I am going somewhere with this and diagnosis of PTSD in the last twenty years in US Armed Forces, and there are sort of two schools of thoughts. One is that they were at war like we were for twenty five years, so that's why there was a massive uptick. Another theory is that your payout of effectively your pension from the military is linked to the disabilities that you serve. You got from service, the service related injuries, so tinatous is one brain injury, bad hip, all these things, yeah exact say, and if the difference between a eighty percent payout and a ninety five percent payout is PTSD and it's going to have no one would affect in the rest of your life. There is an encouragement to have a PTSD diagnosis, is what they found. So for here for Send, there is a theory that if basically your child is fighting for resources in the public school, in the state school system, any edge they can gain in terms of support, in terms of extra time in exams, in terms of everything else might lead to an encouragement of diagnosis. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case, but that is one of the theories about parents encouraging a SEND diagnosis for their child, And that's why it ballooned.
Speaker 2: It makes sense because it does seem that there's a disproportionate amount of kids now with it compared with what person Remember.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I was a kid now, that's a very difficult thing to imagine. But if I was a child now with my gray beard and different parents, I think I would have gone to I could even put towards that diagnosis. But I have not had that diagnosis, and that's what I put on every medical form, but the the I suspect my brain is wired that way. But it's just part of life for me. And there's a whole generation that sort of I think I was the last generation that had that, and then after that it's become part of an identity you had. But this is the sort of thing that would maybe getters thrown out of a political debate, you know, this sort of conversation because it's we're talking outside the norms of political discussion, aren't we. So let's this is a ship segue. I'm trying to do it. I'm trying to do it now. I'm trying to get into the segue here of getting us through into.
Speaker 3: With your DHD waves.
Speaker 1: Come on, I thought i'd do better than this. Which which of the political parties that we're looking at right now that might be taken over us that you know, when we are in our next war in the Middle East, who will be the prime minister?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: What color rosette while they were? How do they stack up against each other in terms of things actually matter to us in our podcast?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is the I believe the most important question you asked, Yes.
Speaker 3: I'm a writer, you know exactly. It does all wonderful things. If he comes offrom mushrooms, so he's rubbish.
Speaker 1: If we're going to have five five attempts at it and be able to edit it in word whatever.
Speaker 3: We'll do that.
Speaker 2: If we were one of those really posh podcasts, we're go and cut Amy, Let's go and try it again. Yeah, but we're not. We are shooting from the hip. I think it's an important question. Richard, the poor old man, drink more cider. You'll be fine. I've just realized this is seven point nine proof. Seven point three.
Speaker 3: Gosh, that's very strong.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I think it's very important because obviously we have just had the Gorton and Denton by election who was which is won by the Greens, and I bizarrely have a green MP here in the Waveny Valley, and I have to say, I don't know Hannah Watsonface, the greyhound owner from Gorton and Denton.
Speaker 1: The property portfolioty.
Speaker 2: Portfolio plumber, how green she is? I don't know, because the problem is is that they never actually say anything that is green. They don't talk about anything. I mean, I actually used Ai under your sort of advice to look at stuff, and I just typed in, according to Hansard, how often has Adrian Ramsey mentioned gaza in questions or speeches in the House of Commons? And it came up with a lot, And I said, how often has he mentioned agricultural property relief? Bearing in mind he is the MP for the most agricultural constituency in England And it said once, And it then goes and gives you all the various sort of links to what he's talked about, and I thought, well, actually, if you think about as a constituency MP, that's poor because this is the thing that actually makes this ultimately. Farming is important here because most of the ancillary jobs in some way, shape or form related to farming. You know, if you look at the largest employers around here, they're chicken factories, duck factories, grain factories, malting factories, and that's about it, you know, other than farming. So they all need farming. But secondly, then I looked into actually environmental concerns and a lot of his environmental concerns weren't locally based. They were talking about farrowing crates, which we don't actually have the pharaoh and crazy. He was complaining about a lot of his staff was based upon Green Manifesto policies. And he did mutter a bit about rural dentistry. He hasn't done nothing about it. There's no more dentists have suddenly appeared since he's come in. He talked about buses, which is quite funny because I actually bothered speaking to the man who runs the local galowaies, the local bus company, and I said, you know, run Galloway, you know, not George.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I was going to say it's an unfortunate association.
Speaker 2: He's a funny man with a true we hat on. Yeah, it's sort of shaking his fill in politics. Yes, I asked him. I said, you know, could you actually run more buses? And he said, not on your nell. He said, because every single rural bus service that we run runs at a loss. And the any reason we run them is because we have got the schools contract and anyway we can get the school's contract is to run the rural bus service for the old deers and one or two students who might use it, or people who are currently under a driving band due to their lax adherence to the drink driving rules and you know, when you think about it, most of the questions that he's asked here have got no relevance to us and the Green ideal because we are arguably should be manner from heaven for him, because we're a big farming community. We've got lots and lots of farms here who are environmentally saying. So I would say, in answer to your question, certainly not the Greens. Who would you think might represent our credo?
Speaker 3: Richard?
Speaker 1: This is my problem with all of this because I know we talk. You know, people think they listen to us talk and they assume our politics. I think a lot of the time I am I am at the point of dirtying my ballot next time because I am dismayed with the whole system. Not because I think that you know that there is there's no point in a democratic process, but just because nothing I see aligns with what I think. So anything, any vote or any backing would have to be the least worst option. I suppose what party politics always has been is the you find the one that's that's least worst and then go for that unless you are are you effectively are in that tribe, and it is a tribal thing you've always done that thing. Your family's always voted Labor, you've always been a Tory, whatever it is, and you just vote along with that because it's part of your identity. The well, that's something. Let's run through the parties here, so we have the ones currently in government, we have the Labor Party. So we've got big ed or little ed very much into the net zero. Yeah, so this is this is one of the first things is that is net zero everyone has decided is a green issue.
Speaker 3: Mhm.
Speaker 1: It's really it's a resource issue. It's a pot resource policy issue, but it's not. It is green in the sense that it affects things like the atmosphere and stuff like that, and it's not I'm trying to dodge around the the wording here that basically it completely removes It ignores everything like pollution, habitat loss, habitat disturbed, removal of species from a landscape, changes in policy. That means that nature itself is actually further down the order of priority for any business or any landowner or anything else like that because the pushes towards net zero. But it's always painted as this renewable energy, low greenhouse emissions and low carbon emission will effectively fix everything else. I don't. I still don't follow how that's going to work. But you have that and then the biodiversity side of things, and that it's there are policies. I think there has been some labor support for the beavers and through rewilding, but that tends to per MP level.
Speaker 2: Rather they dip their toe in the water. I think because they were surprised. I mean they had eighty some odd mystery MPs suddenly here and went, what with one of these rural seats? And they had no idea. I mean, we've got to chap up the road from us. Who is in? He won the seat from Liz Truss southwest.
Speaker 3: North of a guy called the hospital Pass. Really yeah, I know Terry Jermy labor MP. Sorry Terry Jermy j E.
Speaker 2: R M y.
Speaker 1: Is he a character from viz?
Speaker 3: It does?
Speaker 2: Terry Jermy. He's very Jermy. He's currently got cold. He looks a bit like a bus driver like he's sort of but he's a younger bus driver. But to give him his jew now, I'm going to lay my cards on the table here. I hate with every fiber of my being socialism because I just think it's an antithesis to what freedom really is.
Speaker 3: But I can still.
Speaker 2: I can still hold my tongue when I hear someone who thinks, okay, you believe in what you're talking. And he said to me when I actually interviewed him, he said, I didn't think I was going to win this. I never thought I was going to because when when they announced it, he said, if you look at the film of when they sort of cut too on election night and they said and it said Jermy and went, shit, I've won, and he went, it just doesn't happen here in southwest Norfolk. It's blue and that's it. And he won. His advisor is a former deputy head of the Norfolk Wildlife Trust, and I hasten to add the Norfolk Wildlife Trust aren't complete buffoons like the Suffolk Wildlife Trust who are. But and he is now his constituency officer. And when I spoke to him when we went to go and lobby about agricultural property relief, Terry Jermy is an old fashioned socialist. He's believe he would certainly be more on the left, but he realized that he was representing a very agricultural constituency and to give him his due. In the APR vote what they call it something fifty sub section fifty vote on it, He abstained. I know there was that chap up in Cumbria voted again it. But I spoke to toe Germany.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 2: Look, he said, I think this is a bonker's idea, and I know that my constituents aren't actually these fat cats that the chancellor is claiming they are, he said. But if I vote against it, I will be expelled from the party. He said, So therefore, if I'm going to actually vote, use my vote wisely and lobby from within the party, I have. The best I can do is abstain. And I thought I can buy that that is a sense of you know, the fact of how politics works is so stupid, is that if they tell you you've got to vote this way and you say no. I think my constituents say the majority of them things, this is a bad idea. So therefo I'm going to represent my constituency, you would be expelled from your party. So the best he could do was abstain. And I believe he has looked tried to as best as he humanly can to within being a labor and Pete to look after farming in his constituency. But is he truly a friend of nature. Well, he's a friend of nature in the respect that he slightly gets blindsided by oh, rewilding. Do you know what I mean is that he would be a be beaver botherer. He would think that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's there's a kind of a global messaging as well that certain things are just better. Planting trees are better, reintroduction of species is better. But nobody really wants to expend the dopamine of looking into why is it better? What effect will it have? Will it actually work in the real world where humans live, or will only work on paper?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And if one more person mentions yellowstone wolves and landscapes to me, I'm going to nail the foot to the floor because it didn't work. Then that's not the narrative. Isn't what you see in the meme or the little Facebook post or whatever.
Speaker 2: And if you want to know what the tories are like, just look at Ben Goldsmith, because he seems to think that as long as you throw exotic species that died out here before the ice age, is all going to be brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's this rest of you know that is a thing for a lot of the real green advocates in parties, there is sort of this vague assertion that if you return to an earlier state, everything was better, which I can agree with. But as I've mentioned in previous podcasts, what are we going to do with the population density of humans that we have that already exists in that space and need it for it? You know the other economic things you have? Are we going to start culling? Are we going to start removing people forcibly? Are we going to have a massive population reduction program over the next two three centuries? Like you know, is this a Thomas Malthus supported green policy, which is this idea that there are too many people we need to protect our resources and go and remove them. That is often the way that some of these policies would work is if there weren't people in the way. And that's sort of the problem with socialism as well, because utterly it works on paper assuming that humans don't have a say in it, But the moment humans and human nature actually comes into it, is it Hobbes is a hobbesy and things, which is basically, which is basically you're all you're born as savages and you have to Civilization is something that you learn and you develop and has to be earned within your lifetime. That that is true human nature, and that that's why socialism only works in this ideal petridish world, but the other end doesn't work as well. So instead you have to have this muddy mix in between, which is effectively old school English liberalism, yeah, which is somewhere bit of both.
Speaker 2: So therefore, I think the interesting thing, so who then represents the country slide listenership best is that I don't think it can be labor because they are just too urban. They are a result of urban and they will always default to that.
Speaker 3: It can't be the.
Speaker 2: Greens because they're clearly nutters. I mean, they are not green. In actual fact, I put a thing on Twitter today is that I was looking at some of the stuff in the aftermath of the Iran shenanigans.
Speaker 3: That's going on.
Speaker 1: We're still going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, well when this comes live, I mean it may be the fact that Iran, No, wasn't that a country.
Speaker 1: If you're listening to this as a patron on Thursday, don't look at the flash.
Speaker 2: No boom, Look at that. Yeah, this could be the last voices you ever hear.
Speaker 3: Isn't that awful?
Speaker 2: The thought is that basically it's Brita and me the last things you're.
Speaker 1: Here threads film the bomb on Sheffield. I didn't see that bit.
Speaker 2: Of a two idiots. I'm going to be the one key looking traffic warden anyway, I don't the Greens. They're clearly not environmental. I'm sure at some point they were. I think they're quite environmental when they were the British Union of Fascists, you know, backwards where they started.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Their Wikipedia article sort of seems to suggest that they started in the seventies out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, funny that isn't it thirties? No, they ignored all the thirties bit. That's a bit uncomfortable, you know. It's funny because of course I live one village away from where the Soil Association was founded, and there is an Eve Balfer Way, because of course Ive Balfa being the founder of the Soil Association. What they don't have in that particular village is the jury and jenks Lane, who was the person who actually wrote all her stuff down and put it into a manifesto because Juri and Jenks was the agricultural advisor for the British Union of Fascists under Moseley. And if you do remind the Greens that they started off from a bunch of fascists and haven't really changed very much since then, they get really irate.
Speaker 3: So let's park them with labor.
Speaker 2: They're not anything really because although there are a few outliers like Terry Jermy and that chap up north with a double barreled name whose father does happen to be quite a large farmer, which might help if we're.
Speaker 1: A real podcast, would have worked out his name.
Speaker 3: I can't remember it.
Speaker 2: It's some ridiculous sort of double barrowed name, which probably really was the only stumbling block that he had.
Speaker 1: Okay, George Baron Sandy, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yes, fineal working class name, So you got him. But then you come to the Conservatives. Now I don't trust the Conservatives anymore because although we are used to be a card carrying Tory, I thought, do you know what really did it for me was that arguably the greenest party that we have had in the sort of modern context of Greens has been the Tories under Bloody Boris Johnson, but I mean they were the ones who are actually doing proper sort of environmental stuff. They almost turned elms into some sort of batshit mental stuff. But when it came to a sort of people who actually perhaps were funding farming properly, they were I think Michie Sunak and Michael Gove when he was deaferent Minister and one of two of those sorts of people I'm talking about, not in the distance past currently they weren't too shoddy. They sort of treated the countryside farming and its industries and its people like we weren't three headed monsters. But then when it was announced that DEFRA realized that they were a bit shit and that none of their people knew a flipping plow from a hat stand, and said, well, we're going to go and teach them how to go and know a plow from a hat stand, and we're going to send them off to Loddington under the GWC to go and learn it. The Tories are such a bunch of ars wipes that all they could do was winge because they were actually improving the knowledge of DEPHRA. And I can't remember the name of the shadow Defhora Minister. But she's a complete buffoon as well, because she's just any opportunity to go and say, oh, well, the labor are rubbish. They can never say that's quite a sensible idea. Actually, yes, spending six hundred and fifty grand in improving the knowledge base of the Dephrah civil servants is a poor is a waste of money. How can it be a waste of money? Yes, it's easy to say, yes, you should recruit from all loads of people who've sort of a farmer's sons and daughters and they've done three years at Harper Adams. Yes, that would be the idea, But that hasn't happened. So therefore you've got all these people, so try and train them so they actually do understand a little bit about farming and the countryside and conservation. So let's send them to Loddington. I mean, can you imagine if Labour had turned around and said we're going to send them to RSBP Hope farm Will it'd be disastrous. But at least they're sending them off to a sensible place like Loddington where they can see it all there. But oh no, the shadow Defhorah minister had to go and say that, oh, this was a profligate waste of money.
Speaker 3: No, we're finally left with reform.
Speaker 1: Yes, where are they at Richard, Well, basically as far as I can tell, because they've got virtually no policy information out there. Anything, anything that's a hint of climate and nature is a bit too expensive, so we're not going to do it. Seems to be their overarching theory. And that's something I wonder if we're going to see put to the test in Wales in May, because we've got our elections coming up soon and pretty much the predictions here are it's either going to be reform applied or reform implied. Labor who have been in power in Wales ever since devolution twenty years ago, they are going to be wiped out. So if and this is something that is you know, because my work increasingly involves a bit of you know, stuff that is funded by policy and funded by land management and things like that, a bit like yours. We've got our sustainable farming scheme here, which is s FI on steroids. It actually looks quite good, but it's going to be quite expensive, so it would be a very easy thing for reform to come into in Wales and say, well, you see this really expensive farming scheme, we're just going to get rid of it and instead we're going to go back to how it used to work, which is if you've got two thousand sheep, we're going to pay you per sheep, and that's and headage payments. It's a real possibility, so much so that natural Resources Whales, our sort of our natural england aren't just kind of said they're not going to do that much or make any policy changes, or make any massive changes until May. They're going to see what money they actually have. Yeah, unless all they're going to do is maybe a retreat from a responsibility and say they're not going to do something that they used to do. So I think with reform, it's particularly for reform voters if you go via social media, reverse or from anything that's expensive and hard work would actually be their policy. Say we'll climate change net zero is expensive and stupid, We're not going to do it. Instead, we're going to drill, baby, drill, and we're going to open up the north Sea oil fields, which actually, given the current war, might not be the worst idea as well as much again, it will be seen as this will provide jobs and provide income, and a lot of people who would vote reform and may be skeptical of anything involving climate policy. So the same thing for environmental laws, anything that seemed as being red tape. You can almost say the only things they'll keep are anything that was portrayed positively in Clarkson's Farm. That's my bet. If clarks and Farm made it sound good, they'll keep it. If the Clarkson's Farm made it sound like red tape and needless bureaucratic mess, then they'll get rid of it. I don't know. I mean this is we know people involved in some of the policy making for this, but as we also know what is written in policy before the election and what actually manifests six weeks later are often very very different things.
Speaker 2: Indeed, indeed, do you know, I think you are nailed on and the problem is you take them back. I think I think the biggest challenge that reform has is that people currently want them because they are different, yes, and they have looked at the Greens and they go, no, you're just weird, and that I think Gordon Denton is probably going to be an absolute wake up call in that a lot of people went that is terrible. You know, how on earth could the Green Party play such court to a sort of a religious based group of individuals who clearly are not progressive of the left.
Speaker 1: It's a balkanization of British politics.
Speaker 2: Correct, correct, completely bonkers. So therefore, this is my suggestion to listeners of Countryside. I am going off tomorrow, so when you hear this, I'll have already been. But I'm going off tomorrow to a meeting. This is why we're recording this actually on a Monday. I'm going off to literally explains a linear nature of time.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's time.
Speaker 2: It stretches a bit like that that Bloka used to be in that band in the nineties. You said things could only get better and outstairs at the stars.
Speaker 3: How wrong was he? The mug?
Speaker 2: But anyway, I'm going off to a meeting of reform because I'm of the opinion is that if you are and we have lots of people who actually work hands on in the countryside doing proper stuff. You know, we have foresters, we have farmers, we have gamekeepers, we have people who put in more to the countryside than they take out. And I think you should because it's likely the reform are going to be in the shakeup for the next government, and I think they're still looking around for policy, and I think they're looking around for authentic voices. But I think most importantly where you really hit the nail line is that they want stuff which is cheap or at least gives value for money so they can see a return it. It's not just all cuddly and fluffy or just different to what the last government did.
Speaker 3: And so therefore, if you've got the.
Speaker 2: Data that hedge laying increases these bird numbers by that, yeah, well I don't really care about birds.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: But it also goes and access with a capillary effect, so therefore it retains moisture, it stops soil erosion, and it also reduced costs in filtration of water because it reduces night rate runoff. They go good like it, and then you come up with a policy. Do you like the idea of But do you know what, I don't think everyone should be paying for this, but all these people who want to bask in the reflected glory of a Greenham pleasant land that is England or Wales or Scotland. That if you're a company who wants to go and slap green and pleasant land on your branding. Then you can fund this and you will be rewarded through the taxation system of corporate tax. And if you went and suggested something like that to reform, they might go, Okay, scheme me that out. Then, mister forester, tell me how that you think of our forestry guys. You know, we've got a lot of people who work in woods who listen to us, and they're always complaining.
Speaker 1: Quite right legitimately rather than just resolutely.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, then you've got a new bunch of politicians here who actually haven't a bloody scooby doo about a lot of stuff because they're all like bankers and business people who do stuff who don't really understand where wood comes from. We'll go and tell them and tell them what the need is, give them a few facts and figures. So I'm going to go off to a reform meeting and go and listen to some ex copper going and signed worlds that we used to beat up all the legs in London and go and say we haven't got any legs here. What we do of as hair courses and people who nick red diesel, So right, Nick, all them, that's fine. But what I really want to tell you about is this, And I think you've got to for once, probably in a generation, two generations, probably for the first time, for since the Labor Party started, you've got the opportunity, as a layman, as a joe public to go to a party and say, I think this is a policy you should run and if it's sensible and it's got legs and it's got financial backing, you could do it. So ignore all the stuff about flipping, sending people back to different countries, all the stuff that you've got a party there who could save the countryside or they could be the worst thing that happened to the country side since plowing right up to the margin. And if we are plowing right up to the margin and we don't have any yellow hammers and gray partridges anymore, and we've lost all that nature recovery that we were happening because reform get in and they haven't listened to you, If you haven't told them why we this is important and how we can make it happen, and we can make and make it happen cost effectively, then it's your own fault. And you can't winge and then that's my opinion, is the reform of the great unknown. We just know that all the other ones are completely shit.
Speaker 1: I've got nothing else to add to that. I'm going to put something out here though, And we haven't talked about this now, you know, as two thirds of the hosting team, I'm not talked about this at all. We've got well, it was meant to be what twenty twenty nine for the next election. Yeah, I think it's going to come sooner than that. Probably if you are the comms person or one of the on one, two, three, four, five, six, maybe seven main political parties, or your Binnie mcbin face or was it count bin face. If you're one of these and you want to come on our show and talk about a your rural policy and what you intend to do for the countryside, I think we have to adhere to some sort of laws around party political broadcast, but we can give you an interview that is open to all of the parties. Come on here, we'll talk about things, and we'll give you a fair airing and we won't hit you with sticks or anything like that, or or talk about our country ways. But this stuff is important to us, and it's important to everyone to listen to this podcast, and I think it would be important to the nation once it's gone. It's the sort of thing that if it went away, if the British countryside as we know it went away, which it sort of is in a lot of ways, the loss would be missed. The loss would be noticed, but it'd be noticed after the fact. And there is a time to arrest it. There is a time to fix it. There is a time to put it in a certain direction. But that time is now, not when everyone suddenly starts caring about it. So what do you think should we have people on most definitely we'll put this out and if you are a listener and you have some sway with your political party, you know, send this on.
Speaker 3: Yes do.
Speaker 2: But here's the suggestion, right, is that if we're going to do this properly, we should have people who are representatives of forestry, farming, gangkeeping.
Speaker 1: Like a Witton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically if we could have four of us, so someone who's doing it, but someone who is from either of their geographical area or you know of, or from one of the major industries of the countryside, who could ask from their particular area county lines. Yeah, okay, we'll do that. That's what we're going to do. Because this is Country Slide and we are rebellious.
Speaker 1: So we'll workshop this idea a little bit further into something that won't get it. We'll have to check the legality of it in terms of party political broadcasts and things like that. I think we have to bring someone on for balance, don't we, But we can had invited Kamala and Trump on and only only Trump came on and Trump won, so and not so one. We're as big as the Joe Rogan podcast. Now we we're up there.
Speaker 2: So we're going to get Terry Jermy and William Klaus and the rest of them. They may just not turn up. And so therefore, as far as Country Slide polling is concerned, it's a neck and neck race between Labor and the SDP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay, right, Well that's the main show sorted out. So we're now we're watch the after show for patrons, and well, thank you and sorry goodbye.