Speaker 1: This is District Attorney Markham. The Shoeless murder case involved the killing of three girl models, all of whom it participated in the contest at the home of Walter Jordan's shoe manufacturer. First to die was a girl named Inez Stone, killed while the contest was going on. Later, two other models were murdered and their shoes stolen, a factor which we can't understand. We do know that one of the models still alive. Edith Graham has a boyfriend who has a record, and Vance has an idea he can entice the killer into the open with two letters he wrote.
Speaker 2: But that's all.
Speaker 1: Whom the letters were to go to, or what was in them, we don't know about it.
Speaker 2: One An d Hi just come by to taking a breakfast and.
Speaker 3: There was a nice of you Joey, sit down hot nice? Do you rang him?
Speaker 2: Okay? Brung your mail up with me?
Speaker 1: Just one letter? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Thanks joe wonder this collections? Yes, Joy listeners, listen to what Edie this letter? Here's all it says, miss Edith Graham, I got what you want? Meet me tonight, tamp and cover Street midnight and it's signed.
Speaker 2: Shoes uh ah, what does it mean?
Speaker 1: Joy?
Speaker 3: What do you think it means?
Speaker 1: I know, honey, and I'm stoping, only not stop enough to think that you don't know what it means.
Speaker 4: To That's all the mail this morning, mister Jordan. Alright, uh, except one letter, Mark Personal. Do you want me to open it?
Speaker 2: Please? Do not personal?
Speaker 5: Yes, I don't can't be anything my assistant shouldn't know about. Go ahead, open it and read it.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, it says.
Speaker 2: Mister Jordan.
Speaker 1: But is it?
Speaker 2: You had better read this yourself?
Speaker 5: Have just to all of Jordan. I got what you want? Meet me tonight tenth in Cover Street, midnight, seven shoes.
Speaker 1: Doesn't make sense to me, mister Jordan?
Speaker 2: Does it to you?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: I'm afraid it does very good sense.
Speaker 1: Ten minutes after midnight advance, our murderer hasn't shown up. Ten past midnight tenth and culver you and I Markham, but no murderer. Yes, I've got something to confess to you. What's that? Either I'm not as clever as you've always insisted, or our shoeless killer is a very smart individual because he didn't fall for this plan. Well why did you think he would? He had to do, Markham? Don't you see he was killing to get a certain pair of shoes, a pair of which was worn by one of the girls in that bathing contest, but he didn't know which girl wore them. He tried to kill one of the remaining models the night before last. That means he hadn't gotten what he wanted up until now. HM. Logical enough, I offered to give it to him in a letter. Should have risen to the bait. Unless that's our suspect list isn't complete. I'm pretty sure that if we could find the reason for those shoes being missing from a victim's feet, we'd have our murderer. Seems as if that's right, doesn't it? Yes, Well, it may or may not be so. But one thing I know is definite. I know where I'm going on this case. I wish I did know that. No, Markham, my next move may possibly be wasted, But I'm going back to the Jordan home for a look at some of Walter Jordan's personal records.
Speaker 2: Do you think of show them to you? Or do you want me to do it legally?
Speaker 1: I'd rather you didn't, Markham, thanks just the same that rather Jordan didn't know I was doing it either.
Speaker 2: I want to look at his records.
Speaker 5: Off the record, stand right where you are, wherever you are. Turn taught me, with your hands up, do as I say now before I shoots as I say. Caught you in my library, I could shoot without giving you this break, Turn taught me.
Speaker 1: I said, well, thanks, hello, mister Jordan, I must apologize for this.
Speaker 5: Well, I certainly think you ought to have it.
Speaker 1: So I didn't mean to you. I meant to myself for getting caught. Now the bungling of me. Then, I've never done anything quite like this before, quite like what like looking through a man's personal papers and uh, check books. I'm rather glad I did, though, I've uncovered a lot of interesting information.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what you found. You found canceled checks made out by me to a Stone.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yes, and in as Stone was murdered in this estate of yours, the first of the shoeless murders.
Speaker 5: She was blackmailing me, I admitted, and I'd bet I paid her.
Speaker 1: In view of the evidence here, you couldn't do anything else but admit it. Do you also admit you killed her? No? I'm glad you said. That makes this case even more interesting. There's a stub in your check book here I'd like to know about. It's one dated yesterday and indicates a check made out to Edith Graham ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: What was that for?
Speaker 5: She knew and as was blackmailing me and didn't tell the police.
Speaker 2: How did she know?
Speaker 1: I can't figure that at all. I can understand her not saying anything to the police. It would destroy her chances of continuing to blackmail you. Very interesting, mister Jordan. I I have an idea. I'll be seeing you again after I see Miss Graham.
Speaker 3: I don't know why I did it, mister Markham.
Speaker 1: I just don't know why easy enough. I know it was wrong, but I couldn't help. I think I understand Miss Graham, and I'm glad you came to me. How much money did you get from mister Jordan? Get one check for ten thousand dollars. I cashed the check, but I'll return to money. I'm sure we can straighten this out. And I'm very glad you came to me. So Jordan was being blackmailed by a ness Stone the first of the girls.
Speaker 3: To die, Yes, he was, and after she was killed, I thought I could do the same thing.
Speaker 1: I'm happy you changed your mind. You know, Vance has you on his list of suspects. This might do quite a bit to change his mind, perhaps, Markham, Oh Vance, Hello Vance, Miss Graham, mind if I intrude Markham, you're not intruding Vance. Miss Graham was just reporting something very interesting to me. She was telling you that as Stone was blackmailing Jordan, and that after Miss Stone's.
Speaker 2: Death, she took over.
Speaker 1: That's right. How did you know, Markom I left Walter Jordan about an hour ago. At that time I found out about Miss Stone and Miss Graham here, but she didn't know that. She came down to my office to tell me what she'd been doing without knowing you already knew. Vance.
Speaker 2: That's fine, but incorrect.
Speaker 1: As soon as I left Walter Jordan, he called Miss Graham called to tell her her blackmailing was over.
Speaker 2: That I knew.
Speaker 1: I overheard him calling the number, and her being here now indicates the conversation. Miss Graham knew I'd be after her to admit she was blackmailing Jordan, so she beat me to it and came to you, thereby eliminating suspicion from herself. She thought, that's.
Speaker 3: All very cute and clever.
Speaker 2: Vans. But now what now?
Speaker 1: I want you to tell me how you knew and s Stone was blackmailing George Vance. Please, I'm sorry, but how can that be important? Why should it have result in the deaths of two other models? The answer to the question I asked, Markham will tell you what you want to know, Miss Graham. How did you know and s Stone was blackmailing Jordan?
Speaker 3: I overheard his fighting with him. It all came out while they were arguing.
Speaker 2: Where were they and you at the time.
Speaker 3: I was putting on my bathing suit. The pool bath house has a roof, but there's an opening between the floor and the walls, an opening about two feet high running right.
Speaker 2: Aroun so you could hear what was going on outside.
Speaker 1: I see. That's all, Miss Graham, except for one thing. I'll want you down to that bath house tomorrow morning and bring your friend Joey with you.
Speaker 3: Oh you know about him?
Speaker 1: Huh, of course we do. We'll expect you and him there tomorrow morning, Miss Graham.
Speaker 3: Okay, can I go now?
Speaker 2: Vance?
Speaker 1: Yes, but you're entitled to know this. Mister Jordan will be invited to his own bathhouse tomorrow morning too, and Markham and I will be there planning a party, ending.
Speaker 2: A party, Miss Graham.
Speaker 1: It's high time our killers stopped having a good time out of making fools out of us, Markham, can you hear me? Yes, Fritz good, you have Joey and mister Jordan in the bathhouse with you.
Speaker 2: That's right, very well.
Speaker 1: You are now in the position that Miss Graham says she was in when she heard Jordan and in his stone arguing.
Speaker 2: Can you hear this?
Speaker 1: Very plainly listen, go ahead, miss Graham, say the word you over, Harry.
Speaker 3: Okay, don't give me that, Walter. You'll keep paying or you're blue in the faith. And incidentally, I'm winning this contest today. Don't forget it. You're paying and I'm winning, or I talk. And then here Jordan tried to get her to quiet down, but she wasn't having any and she said, don't shush me, Walter. Jordan's suppose everybody knew how you took over your shoe business fight, swindling the man who wounded. How long do you think you'd be such a big man?
Speaker 6: Well, how long?
Speaker 3: That's about all that?
Speaker 2: You're all that, Markham, very distinctly the truth.
Speaker 1: Yes, uh, come out here, will you Markham, Right, miss Graham, who was in the dressing room with you when.
Speaker 2: You heard all this?
Speaker 3: Nobody? I came in early, that's why, and Nas and Jordan talked out here.
Speaker 2: They didn't know I was inside.
Speaker 1: I see, And a Stone was killed in almost this same spot a few hours later.
Speaker 6: I suppose that's right.
Speaker 2: Where were you at the dime?
Speaker 3: I don't know where I.
Speaker 1: Was when she was killed. You don't trick me, he said, Well, guys, what's up?
Speaker 2: Markham looked down at the opening in the bath house. The bathouse wall, it doesn't extend all the way to the floor. What do you see? See?
Speaker 1: Yes, I see a pair of legs belonging to mister Jordan, another belonging to Joey. Why shouldn't I see them there? Both in the bath house?
Speaker 2: That's right? And now, if you will, you can make your arrest.
Speaker 1: You mean you know the murderer, why the three girls were killed, and why the shoes were missing. Yes, I'll tell you all about that later, but right now you can arrest Edith Graham for murder.
Speaker 6: Oh wait, right there, Martin, I know I'm coming out of.
Speaker 2: The pool.
Speaker 6: Invigorating.
Speaker 2: Certainly looks good. Nice of mister Jordan to let me use his pool.
Speaker 1: Yes he was, and it'd be very nice of you Vans if you brought me up to date on the shoeless murdered. Well, you want to know first why they were shoeless, is that right?
Speaker 2: Mark?
Speaker 1: I want to know why the shoes were removed from the dead bodies. Yes, that was the most confusing part of this case, and it still is. It was intended to be confusing, Markham. In fact, that was the only reason the shoes were taken.
Speaker 2: I beg you pardon.
Speaker 1: The murderer, whom we know now was Edith Graham. Knew that we would try to find some link between the missing shoes and her. There was no link, of course, but she was trying to lead us up a blind alley. Well she has certainly succeeded. In other words, the shoes were taken merely to throw us off. She was sure we'd concentrate on them, and we did.
Speaker 2: Yes, Eh, very clever.
Speaker 1: Idea. Now tell me this. Why were the three girls murder? The answer is simple. When Edith Graham murdered in as Stone out where she had heard Stone and Jordan arguing, she looked down and saw a pair of girl's legs in the bath house. She immediately assumed that whoever owned those legs had heard Miss Stone's death struggle, and probably had heard Miss Stone mention her Miss Graham's name go ahead. But by the time she had killed Miss Stone and made her way into the bath house, whoever it was in the bathhouse had disappeared, or Miss Graham knew was that one of the girls was a possible witness to the murder, a murder she committed to enable her to blackmail Walter Jordan. She had to get rid of that possible witness. In order to do that, she had to kill three more girls.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: She had no idea which one of the three other girls in the contest was a possible witness to what she'd done, and there was no way to find out, right, listen to this vance. Originally there were five girls. Miss Stone was killed, That left four. Two of the other girls were murdered. That left two, Doris Morgan and Edith Graham. The killer tried to get Miss Morgan in the park, which he escaped. That left only one girl who could have done the killings.
Speaker 2: Miss Graham.
Speaker 1: You're right again, Markham. Now we know how and why and that she killed the others. Now we have her confession, we know one other thing too vance We know this is the end of the shoeless murder case.
Speaker 4: M