Speaker 1: Day twenty one of the Twilight Zone podcast Advent Calendar, and our friend George Stevens says what episodes from TZ reboots would have made the best sixties TZ episodes? Now, Zach, I know you're quite well viewed with the latest version. I know you've seen probably those a couple of times at least. How about the other versions? Have you dug into those much?
Speaker 2: I've seen a lot of the two thousand and two version. I've seen a little of the nineteen eighty five version.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's all right, I am all right. So what are you choosing then? For George's question?
Speaker 2: Well, how many answers do you have for this?
Speaker 1: By the way, I've got two?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to pick one from the twenty two version and one for the twenty nineteen version. Okay, I'm going to go with Cradle Darkness for the two thousand and two version, and that's the one where they Timeshovel back to kill Baby Hitler. That feels like it could absolutely be a show from the sixties, because there's no we're in the far future. We're going back to the thirties or whatever, right, I mean, that's you could easily write that in the sixties and there, I mean, there are episodes where they go back at time to kill Hillar in the original show, So I'm like, you know, a little darker to kill a baby, right, So maybe that's maybe that's a little much, but I think that would have fit in perfectly. And then from a twenty nineteen I'm gonna go with my favorite episode of the Jordan Bill, Twide's one Try Try with the time traveling Twill for Grace. Like it's set in a museum, right, it's a two hander. I just I think that was just a brilliant episode about evil Groundhog Day. I think as everybody decided to call it, and I totally agree. Yeah, I mean obviously, you you know, if you make it in the sixties, you changed the specifics about these things, right, But because he got really dark, and I don't think of gon go on that dark again, like killing babies, and then the things that Tilver Grace imply dark stuff. But I think both of those are kind of universally great science fiction humanity stories and would fit in the original show.
Speaker 1: Good Choices, Good Choices. So I'm going to go with two from the eighties show.
Speaker 2: Okay, because good representation for the eighties show Good Good.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's always a tough sell because I think people are always going to be even though I'm quite open to it, there's always a part of you that is very like, what are they going to do here? Are they going to pull this off? But I think the very first episode of the eighties show, I personally feel, is as good as you know a lot of the classic show. And of course there's like, well it looks like an eighties show. It's not as crisp and clean, and you know all those things that you have to get over, And absolutely I agree that's the task here, isn't it to see whether you can get past some of these things. But it's an episode called Shatter Day and it stars Bruce Willis and it's written by Harlan Ellison and I think Alan Brennett did the screenplay. And Bruce Willis accidentally calls his home phone number and Bruce Willis answers the phone, so it's like, Okay, what's going on here? So the way the story plays out, and I won't ruin it, is he keeps making these calls back to his house and he's like, what are you doing? But then a very kind of specific thing happens between these two versions of Bruce Willis, and I think it's played really well and it's got a real tangible kind of this is telling you a lesson about humanity, you know, or people, the human experience, et cetera, et cetera. So I really do think back in the eighties, when you're sitting watching this the first Twilight's own reboot apart from the movie, I guess, and this episode comes on, it must have been like, oh my, they've cracked the code. They've done it.
Speaker 2: You know, you're so back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But then unfortunately it wasn't always plain sailing from then on. But I do think that first episode is pretty great, and there are flashes of brilliance throughout it. You know, there was one called to See the Invisible Man, and it was a sort of you know, alternate reality or you know, slightly future reality or whatever. And a guy called Mitchell Chaplain gets found guilty of the crime of coldness, you know, not being friendly or open enough with people around him, which is a bit weird. For his punishment from the state is to be rendered invisible for one year. Now, they don't actually make him invisible. They put a kind of scar or implant or something on his forehead. So if you this on another person, you need to ignore them. You know, you can talk a lot about that in our modern world, you know whatever, you're likening that too. But there's a lot of good stuff in it. Like there's a scene where so he's like, well, if people can't see me, then I'll just run a mock. You know. He's going into cafeterias, pushing things over. He goes into a ladies' locker room and he's kind of laughing, and he starts to see how actually horrified they are, and he's making them feel terrible, and then he just feels completely ashamed of himself and leaves the locker room. And it's again, it's one of those things that you could maybe they wouldn't have had that scene in the nineteen sixties, but there's a lot of this that you could actually see other actors doing in the nineteen sixties. So it's really really good episode of the eighties Twilight Zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think you know, we gravitate towards those they remind us of the original show, right, I Mean, we're we're not fans who says it has to be four x three in black and white only or we're not going to accept it. Right, But so much of that DNA of the original show when you can find it in these new episodes. I think that's why a lot of my favorites are, like, you know what, I really love those one and you know why because I feel like it could have been part of the original show. I know, and I've said that, you know, on on microphone somewhere and even in just normal conversation. So there's a lot to that, right, And that's uh, you know that, and I have I've listened to your Aftermath show. But there's so many of those eighty shows, probably like seventy five percent of them I haven't seen. So one day, one day, there's more talleads on am there for me to revisit. So that's that's fun, so to know that's out there one day for me to check out.