Speaker 1: Another restaurant that not only is one of Bob's favorites, but is one of mine. It is actually a gem in southern California and here in Los Angeles and bird Bank. Smokehouse nineteen forty six they came aboard. You can find that even in the name of their website Smokehouse nineteen forty six dot com. Smokehouse nineteen forty six dot com. The food there is wonderful, their drink program wonderful. Bob and I were talking about how they still serve many cocktails sidecar style like their martinis. So you get a little little carafe on the side. It's served over ice. And you're not a drinking man these days, but back in the day you used to have a couple of pops during lunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I always thought the nice saying was you get part part way down on the first martini and then it's like, oh, I have a fresh one without having to order it. You know it's right there and it's I.
Speaker 1: So Hector was nice enough from the Smokehouse. I know they're very busy on Saturdays and Sundays. Of course, they have an amazing brunch. It is absolutely one of the most phenomenal brunches in the Southland and it is at the top of the list of where I go when I want a fabulous brunch. But he was kind enough to come in. How's everything going over there at the Smokehouse sector? Get up on that mike, will you please?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 3: Thankfully, we are busier than ever.
Speaker 4: You know, we're built by a community and we have the support of the community, and we're so graceful that we still have the support of all you guys, you know, the media, people that live around the area.
Speaker 3: But Small House been there since nineteen forty six.
Speaker 4: We're going for seventy nine years, stronger than ever and happy to be there, happy to be here with you guys.
Speaker 1: Well, it was very kind. I know that saturdays are busy, and the fact that you came not only to come on the four report and share such amazing food. Tell us some of the things that you brought to help celebrate Bob Girl.
Speaker 3: Well today we brought one of his favorite things.
Speaker 4: We have baby back of raves, we have barbecue chicken, tried to Caesar salad and our world family is a Guardi cheese bread.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that garlic cheese bread.
Speaker 5: Is that carrot cake over there, cheeseca.
Speaker 2: Right, I tell you no, this show's got perks.
Speaker 1: Brother, it's uh you come back next week, just keep coming back.
Speaker 5: And you're like, oh, oh yeah, I'm already a large man. I don't need to be a.
Speaker 1: Large Oh brother, Yeah, you and I could be brothers. But what a wonderful setup. Now this cheese bread bob. That was the first thing I noticed. You reached for you, so I get popped out.
Speaker 2: I couldn't wait. I had to reach off of there and grab a piece of that. Yeah, right off the map.
Speaker 1: There's something I've tried duplicating it and making it at home.
Speaker 4: You just can't can I try? I did the same thing when we start working. Well, there's something on these on these cheesebrend and let me try it because I love to cook.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I just couldn't get it.
Speaker 5: But you know the secret recipe? Though you know the recipe, but they don't tell us. I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: Here's the Oh.
Speaker 1: I try that all the time. I go what was the secret recipe?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 1: And they go, oh, what are you trying to? I try and get it out of people all the time. But it the heritage and the history is part of the magic too. Has that warm feel when you go in there. The service is warm and friendly, the food is always on point, and the the buffet style on Saturdays and Sundays for it's just Sundays, right, just Sundays for the brunch is You're just never You're not going to find a brunch like that.
Speaker 2: It just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bottomless. Mimses Oh a friend of mine, she's an actress, and she and I would I worked on Sunday mornings and I and we meet there after I got off the air and we would plow through. They started just bringing the bottles of the orange juice that we would just eat all day.
Speaker 2: Do you know I've been eating at the Smokehouse for seventy seven years. Wow, seventy seven years. I started when I was in the eleventh grade.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: And by the time nineteen fifty five came along, every salesman wanted to sell a product for the things I designed for Disneyland, they'd always take me for my free lunch, the salesman's lunch to the Smokehouse. I have probably had a record number of free lunches at the Smokehouse all the Disney years because they're whining you. They might only sell us ten parts for something, but I'd get the full lunch as if we were buying a thousand somethings from four. Because it was Disney, all the car dealers come. We bought a out of car parts, you know, to make make rides I worked on. So the Smokehouse has been like my sort of Disney cafeteria home because it's such a regular.
Speaker 5: Oh that's awesome. Well there's a documentary in that place alone. Oh yeah, that restaurant has had just Hollywood history alone. That used to be the hangout for anybody who worked at Warner Brothers. Oh yeah, I still see when they wrap, they would come over and have a drink.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Er when it was shot there, Clooney would come over. I remember all that. Well, we'll come back. We'll talk more about the Smokehouse and again. Smokehouse nineteen forty six dot com. Smokehouse nineteen forty six dot com. We'll be back with more. So go nowhere. This is KFI heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio. Appen to have Hector from the last name of Rocha. Yeah, they're at It's such a classic place that the Smokehouse is your classic steakhouse style old school. So many people have gone through there. It's been there, been around since nineteen forty six. You can find out more at smoke House nineteen forty six dot com and see you know the food that we're talking about, world renowned cheese bread. Our buddy Tim Conway Junior lives here in Burbank. He goes there all the time and he gets just the bread sometimes, you know, and it's just a special place. You brought so much representative food, some of Bobgerr's favorite. Bob is my guest for the entirety of the show today. Bob Gerr, legendary imagineer at Disney and Beyond. A new documentary that he has put his seal of approval on and been a part of is bobger Living by Design. Bobger Living by Design six is the premiere in Glendale at the Alex Theater. You can go to the Alex dot com for tickets, scroll down see Bob smiling face and get tickets. I will be there that night. I'd love to see you there. I would love for you to meet Bob and to see this film and the gentleman that put it together. Two of my guests Ernie and Frank today. But also if you buy a ticket and you go, you can go to the will call table and say you heard about it on KFI and they will give you a special commemorative pen lapel pen. Then other people will have to buy that night. So that's our way of saying thank you. VIP tickets are already sold out, so I would encourage you to get on it and go to the alex dot com to get your tickets and I will see you on the twenty sixth.
Speaker 2: Hector.
Speaker 1: Being at such a legendary restaurant like the Smokehouse just down the road here in Burbank, obviously across from Warner Brothers, you see a lot of celebrities come in. What do you hear over and over from here everyday folks like myself to celebrities that they love about the Smokehouse, that.
Speaker 4: It hasn't changed, it has like the classic old play is that everybody loves from the They say that it's they remember when they were little kids.
Speaker 3: They will come to the small house.
Speaker 4: It's still the same feeling when they're going now with their grandkids.
Speaker 2: Is that true to you, Bob? Is it the same after eating there for seventy seven years. Yes, yes, it is. Yeah, it's sort of like I'm going to somebody's den. It happen has a big bar. Yeah, if you keep walking, if you turn right, you got a big dining room. And then they also found out they've got them. It's not like a secret room up in the attic, so to speak, where we did a lot of Disney luncheons up there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I didn't even know about it.
Speaker 2: You mentioned it. Yeah, Well, it's because we never went there unless the whole bunch of people got fired. And then we'd go up there and we'd ask the whole full room. We got the whole room at lunchtime, and then I think we drank till three or four in the morning. In the afternoon, Well, was it hard to fire people?
Speaker 1: I mean, it always is, I get, but from Disney was it was? Well not a fan of firing.
Speaker 2: Or no, it's you got to remember the theme park industry is a series of projects one after another, and there's a gap between when you finish one and you decide to do the next. So you have this big valley of nothing going on, and you can't retain an extra hundred people and everybody expected. Every company that I've been associated with, you always gott to grit your teeth and say, well, they finished this big installation. It runs now all the designers over period a couple of weeks, they're all going to be finished. But the advantages like Universal would say the same thing we would say at Disney, well we got to let one hundred people go, but we're going to have some keepers. Yeah. This meant you have literally been working for a year or two with some people, and the really ones that are sharp. You make a mental note that when the time comes, well everybody goes except them. Gotcha. Over a number of years you built a big team of super people that.
Speaker 1: Way, I imagine It's it's rough, I get it, But I imagine Hector. When it comes to the food, what's the most I think I have my idea. What is the most purchased food item at the Smokehouse? The prime rib? Yeah, oh, that prime rab. That is just I mean a good prime rim is like nothing else. You have people coming in and you know for years celebrating their anniversaries and things like that there that you just know the minute you see them walk in.
Speaker 4: You have we still have the Disney family coming. Oh yeah, yeah, so he's been generations.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's so great. It it really is one of those gems that that I was so glad that you guys were able under tough times like uh covid uh to batten down the hatches and remain because it's not like this stuff is easy to do, switch and pivot to delivery. So but you guys managed to do that, and you say that you're thriving and things are great right now. I love hearing that.
Speaker 4: And then thank you to the like I said before, thanks to the community.
Speaker 3: We're stealed.
Speaker 1: Wow that you that you have to do that. We talked about this on the fork Port all the time. If you don't celebrate and go out and enjoy these places and get off your butt and actually go in them to eat, they go away. You know that it is on all of us to go and continue to go to places like the Smoke Out Smokehouse nineteen forty six dot com. Smoke House nineteen forty six dot com. I will tell you what a great place to go on Sunday brunch. It is worth every cent. It is one of the best brunches, one of the best buffet style anything I've ever had, and that's in and out of the country, and it's just great. I've brought my family there many, many times, even on Easter or Mother's Day or any of these things. It's great, but you got to get in on it early, Hector, thanks for taking the time. I know saturdays are quite busy and weekends are busy, and I appreciate you taking the time.
Speaker 5: To come in.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a pleasure for us to be here and.
Speaker 1: To celebrate Bob Gerr and bring all this great food. Look he's smiling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he goes.
Speaker 1: He leaned over during the break and he goes, I can smell the barbecue sauce from here.
Speaker 5: But night.
Speaker 1: Nice to see you, my friend, and thanks for taking the time to come in. It's the four report on Neil Sirvadrix