Speaker 1: It's the lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and carn s e O and JP Sorrow.
Speaker 2: He's a lapsed fan and all my years and wrestling.
Speaker 3: I never seen anything.
Speaker 2: And it's the laps fan man like the one in the ring.
Speaker 3: Forget about Sado. He the real king of swing. When the bell goes in the kick like me throwing in the corner, but gets rash like stick even Jerry King gets take off. The crowd nodded in his head like its Steve low Brown. Would you get low down? We go even high up?
Speaker 4: Flipp you on your head, But you know cool driver, you speak more and Dragon spits fire give you more shock than when he treats higher drop a more truth than the.
Speaker 5: Con of sniper unless you with a coconut, Roddy Pipper Jack a JP. He like j h D drop the cupcakes and gold the brain Bob means the best podcast Frost start the close cloud if you are I've been.
Speaker 3: He's a classic and pose.
Speaker 6: We've called Sid many things over the years, but as we get to the portion of his run where he made it the World Wrestling Federation for the first time in nineteen ninety one, I just can't shake my year's long obsession. In fact, probably if you can consider it something that formed in this era in my childhood, probably a lifelong obsession with Why do I always say the Revolutionary Sid Justice. Yes, if we have kicked this around for years on the cast, and if you don't know the genesis of it, it's just for some reason. As a kid, I swore they framed him on television when he first came in as the baby face said Justice as the Revolutionary Sid Justice. Now I don't know. I mean, this is also someone who thought VK thunder Wiger was a WCW wrestler. As I look at the custom Hasbro created by a member of the Solar System as a Christmas gift of the irs, has Bro with fucking juice and liger Head peace on.
Speaker 3: But it's just this is it?
Speaker 6: This is that's all to say that this is the ninety one ninety two blue tight Sid Justice to Sid Justice to heel. Yes, from an enabler and a helper and an ally of Hulkogan to a WrestleMania opponent an enemy. I mean, honestly, that's why we're here, That's why where it really is. It's it's it's it's it's you know this, it's funny how and and.
Speaker 3: You know, these feuds, these feuds more than and this time period, more than anything, these were the the feuds that really sunk in, you know, for some reason, even though you know, you think about this run being so short, and it is, it's less than a year, but these were monumental moments that made like, to me, Hogan and Sid were the quintessential foes because of this. And it's the reason why even though this was you know, the only program they had was from the you know, SummerSlam ninety one until that Saturn Night's main event, but Savage and Jake Roberts, right, it's like they never wrestled again after that.
Speaker 6: We're setting for our generation, which is the generation that supports this whole nostalgia wrestling podcast Boom, by the way, didn't see a lot of nostalgia pods for the eighties doing the kind of numbers the Hasbro Kid ended up doing, creating an entire industry. Basically, it's the archetypes for a certain type of face versus a certain type of heel. Sid and Hogan and Randy and Jake Yep, yeah, that's pretty much and you can see the world in those four characters. I'm not saying they were the best, but I'm saying what they the positions they occupied to us as fans in that era are the positions pretty much any heel you can think of in any face you can think of an American wrestling and occupied if they were successful.
Speaker 3: And also too, when you think about the fact that that Rick Flair, you know, with champion from the Royal Rumble until WrestleMania and that's it. Really you know, he was champion for like two months, but it seemed like a lifetimes.
Speaker 6: Things just simmered on the stove.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's the it's the same broad strokes as why you know, everything was pretty much better because everything had time to marinate. You know, anyone who enjoys fine cuisine knows anyone who enjoys fuck fine cuisine. Anyone who enjoys well cooked food knows the difference. They know low and slow on anyone who enjoys cuisine right, low and slow. That's right, And if the business is set up to not allow low and slow, it is by definition inferior to the former presentation.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 6: You're not holding it against the current presentation that it has to be that way. We get the market conditions and understand that the fans don't care. But I'm telling you it used to be a much more satisfying fan experience. That's why we stand here. That's why we have the audience we do. That's why Conrad has the audience he does. That's why anybody who talks about wrestlers from this era have the audience that they do. Because it was pitch perfect in terms of sinking in your brain. Well, we were preparing for this episode, I said, hey, boss, you know this is I thought, this is a wild shot?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 6: Are there WWF magazine articles maybe like one from when Sid was a face when he first came into WWF and then Sid as a as a heel after returned on Hogan that that you would you might, you know, remember from your childhood that we could bring up in this episode, like instantaneously, Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no question, They're right there, they're ready, and.
Speaker 6: There's not an article that anybody's going to think of that's a fan in twenty twenty four, in fifteen years, that epitomizes what it meant to be a fan of wrestling, at that point in time, there will be no such thing. And that's inferior for sure. And that's inferior. So here we are, and you were ready, you ready to go, and oh yeah, we're going to unload. I'm actually going to send one to you. Become tasty. The first one I purposely didn't ask him what it was going to be until we hit record.
Speaker 3: That's right. So the first one actually is from the December nineteen ninety one issue of the ww magazine with Sid on the cover, and the first said w w F magazine cover. Ever, Yeah, I believe so, I believe so. I don't think he had any I don't think he did any stuff leading up to SummerSlam that I that I'm Noah. But I remember this cover very well, very vividly, because it was one of the covers where they would kind of when they were to offer uh back issues or they would talk about, you know, you need to subscribe to w w WE magazine. It was it was one of these, oh that's insane, how big this file is? That's acceptible.
Speaker 6: Actually, the all scams aren't credit equal from a bandwidth perspective. I've noticed this.
Speaker 3: I'm going to see if I can just give you the time, but you're ready to go.
Speaker 6: You're ready to fire instantly. Oh yeah, Sid was that kind of guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had. I mean, there was there was this dread of mine as a as a fan that he was. I can remember all the magazines that he was that he was featured in all of them because they were so they were so monumental to me and uh and my my fandom.
Speaker 6: And I like, how you put fear on it, because in preparing for this, you know, part of his career as part of our Sid tribute here at TLF, it did. It did start to ring in my mind what you were talking about with fear. At first, I was like, really, like, you know, Sid turning on Hogan created a fear and he was a fan. And when I went back and kind of revisited how he turns on Hogan, the things he does to Jabroni's on the way to WrestleMania Aid, the way he presents himself on promos, how psychotic he gets with Harvey Whippleman at his side, I'm like, yeah, you know, there was fear. There was fear that this guy was not going to register Hogan's offense.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, he there was a I mean not only that, but there was a uh uh it felt like he he he would not, He just wouldn't. Hogan couldn't do anything against him. Yeah, is what it felt like. It felt that's and again he felt in that regard. He felt dangerous and.
Speaker 6: In a different way than even Undertaker, who was, you know, invincible to everything. It wasn't even similar. But it was like Sid wasn't dead, he wasn't supernatural. He was just this guy that like that, just Hogan could not you know, puncture. Right when he choked slams Hogan, it wrestlemaniated, who's your dumb? You know that moment? Yes, he cuts him off. Hogan's like running wild for a second. He cuts him off and choke slams him. It came right back to me watching it preparing for this episode. I'm sure we went nuts about it when we did WrestleMania eight ten years ago in the archives as part of the thirty week WrestleMania Journey. That that that's where your heart sinks as Holk the maniacurate, oh fuckes like this guy just shut Hogan down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a it's a very it's a petrifying yep in that in that especially as a as a fan, as a Hogan fan, as a as a man, as I said, someone who was who was rooting for the baby face, you know these this is essential. Uh uh, it's it's it's like, wait a minute, what the fuck? What the fuck?
Speaker 6: And we act like Survivor Series ninety six is kind of like the first time that that rabid fan base just kind of punctures through the narrative and cheers Sid destroying the squeaky clean baby face. I'll tell you at who's your nome, which of course is you know, the biggest crowd Sid ever worked in front of those people. I mean there were there were Sid rules the world signs on the hard camera side close enough to it, and when he choked slams Hogan. The people that want to see a change, the people that that booed when Hogan pull said out of the ninety two rumble and almany just a few months prior, those people were there in spirit and they were loud yes, and they were like, this is what we want to see happened to Haul Cogan.
Speaker 3: This is the man, this is what we want. We want to see this person take.
Speaker 6: Over and it's so amazing that, like Vince, as we talked about last weekend, as we'll talk about this week, brings in sid under the guise of Hogan's spot. Right, Hogan's spot is available to you said, if those are the terms that you're going to come in on, and that of course is a babyface role. As circumstances morph, he becomes a heel for the WrestleMania match. But still when he turns heel is when you can hear some of the most vocal crowd support for him replacing someone at top of the card. If he was the top babyface i'llah like Alex Luger, And they presented him that way, which as we'll get to they really tried to in the early stages of him is said Justice Justice. The reason they gave him that name was it's a babyface name. Remember, he's going to come to bring justice to the World Wrestling Federation, right exactly. He was going to do on behalf of hul Cogan. But it's after that, it's when he starts with the black trunks and just destroying people that you actually hear a crowd reaction tant him out to someone that could be top of the card. The said Justice who came in before turning Hill was not top of the card necessarily. I mean, certainly he would have been in main events, but I don't think anyone would have thirsted for him to succeed as much as they as much as that Voe local subculture of fans did if he remained a face and an ally of Hulk Cochin through that time. But as we'll get to is very quickly, the bloom was off the rose. As it regards Sid and WWS, I do.
Speaker 3: Want to say too, uh. You know, there was the question and the actually made me think so regarding Bo his twin brother, when you know when he was in WCW, was he was Bow Bow vicious?
Speaker 6: I didn't, no he I mean I had the Galub Sid but yeah, but I played with the Galube Sid as Sid Justice the w W a wrestler, and I played with the two Sid Justice has bros. As like a separate tag team. I see it was as if it wasn't as if one half of the Justice Brothers was the guy who wrestled Hulk Cochin and WrestleMania eight that for some reason was the said vicious Galube. I see, which we failed to mention last week. By the way, are you aware that there's a UK sid galube with with with a pink sing glead on. Yes, I've seen it. I mean, fucking hell, boss, it's crazy. What what what's going on over there? I know, I know, Josh, the figure the UK, the UK glubs are are really remarkable. And then we had a lot of them. They have the free birds, they had a lot of ones. We didn't get Dustin Dustin Rhoades, you know, just a whole line of And there's a pink sid looking at me the other day on my Google search, like what.
Speaker 3: It's not okay. It's not okay that you couldn't access.
Speaker 6: That, right, it's not okay that I had no idea until this age that it existed, and that right, I had not a prayer pre Internet of ever getting my hands on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Never, you never would have been able to, like, you know.
Speaker 6: That's another thing, by the way, in twenty years, nobody's going to look up something and say, oh my god, that existed. I had no idea, yep, because you always have an idea the world.
Speaker 3: That's right, there's nothing special and.
Speaker 6: Things are manufactured with that knowledge in mind. Things just things are marketed with the knowledge that every single person whoever might want to buy this is going to be sort of micro targeted from an advertising and marketing perspective.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's like you're.
Speaker 6: Gonna know about it because they know the age you have to be to care about this new figure that they're rolling out, because they come out with figures based on studies of like, yes, who has the biggest propensity to spend? Who who's aged into actually having an income to afford fucking one hundred and fifty dollars action figures?
Speaker 3: So ridiculous.
Speaker 6: We're a very strange place, boss, And I don't know what the other side of it looks like, but going through it is a very strange, strange situation.
Speaker 3: So then I actually wanted one more thing about the the Bo Justice Brothers. So obviously there was no then there was no Psycho Sid. There was no like Biko Biko by Bo or something. Now you know, there wasn't Bow. Yeah, yeah, it's a great point. I didn't bother to update, Like when I played with my SID toys, even in ninety six, I was still thinking about Sid Justice in WWF and Sid vicious and ww artists not thinking that Psycho Sid I was not slotting them that way in anyway. Someone made a great point, and we'll get to a feedback episod eventually because people are writing great letters about Sid. We're seeing them and we're loving them. Just in case you're wondering, and please send your recollections on his the meaning of his career to the lapsed fan at gmail dot com.
Speaker 6: But a great point. I mean, Hogan, the first Hogan Hasbro had the same body slam motion that the Sid Hasbro had. Yes, but for Hogan it was a body slam, and for Sid it's a power bomb. Yes, and that's problematic to me, Yes it is. It is definitely problematic. There's no there's no question about that. It's but that's what they did.
Speaker 3: I mean, and I do believe even that the that the arms are actually the same too, They're the same right arm mold I bet.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm thinking about it. That probably was the best body type for Sid though of all the Hasbro body types.
Speaker 3: Uh oh yeah, I think so. I think it would have been. It wouldn't have been as good had you know, I can't imagine another I mean, I guess, yeah, no, not even like one of the I was trying to think of, like in terms of picking up someone in the power bomb with that, you know, with a figure like I suppose you could do it with the with the arm with the spring in it, the spring loaded arm. Yeah, but I still don't think it would have been as like it really worked with him. I thought he, I may Sid do great power bombs with the Hasbro one before his head fell off.
Speaker 6: And the reason we thirsted for that Hasbro this run, as short as it was, this run and as much more meaningful to his career accomplishments his ninety six ninety seven, ninety seven run was I was on go ninety eight that to stop myself. This, even though it was much more truncated, you know, was the run that burned him into fans' minds in such a way that he could come back and be an impact player. Yes, in ninety five and in ninety six. So we have to, really, I think, take our time and observe what exactly happened here with Sid in such a short period of time to have basically you know, caught fire to where he would just be able to write his own check for the rest of his life. I mean what he did come back in ninety five, he was sort of, as he put it, on the whipping post, there was sort of like a tail between my legs because I stabbed narn Anderson. You know, there's nowhere else for me to make big money in the business kind of situation. But it is only a matter of time before he was on top again. You know, that's the thing about Sid like he knows that even if you come in trying to slot him below, eventually something's gonna happen where you've got to push a guy that looks like that, right of course, if you're working for Vince mcmannon. But you know, the same thing went for WCW as well when he came in to WCW after the late nineties run. But you know, it's funny. It seems so far away the episode of RO nineteen ninety seven that we structured this tribute show around. We will get there, we assure you, But as always, Ta Left takes its fucking time.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's right.
Speaker 6: Let's sit there and you will fold your hands and you will listen while class is in session, and you'll keep your fucking mouth shut. In terms of any other suggestions. Sid, Sid's the fucking teacher, okay in this one. Yeah, exactly. We're going about this tribute show precisely as Sid would go about anything in his life, exactly, dictating all terms at all times and threatening to leave if anybody makes a dank ors.
Speaker 3: And also listen, he's keeping a very close eye on the Viennas and.
Speaker 6: We will not hesitate to disappear and play softball if you piss us off either, So keep that in mind. But yeah, in terms of the Viennas, I mean people people forget about the Vienna's is that it's it's a quid pro quote system.
Speaker 8: You sent my church a case Vienna sausages and I sent him an autograph picture.
Speaker 6: Right that on a Sean Moody interview where he gave a shout out to some guy in Pennsylvania, he gives his almost exact address on the air in his full.
Speaker 8: Name, such a he sent my church a case of Vienna sausages, and I sent him an autograph picture.
Speaker 3: A case of Vienna's.
Speaker 6: So I think you text if I'm not mistaken, when you texted me a picture of Viennas, that was you in in the supermarket I was in the supermarket. You're not the only person in this position after our part one. Huh, tell him the story. You're not the only person in this position after our part one.
Speaker 3: So I'm just I'm walking through the I'm walking through the grocery store and uh and all. And you know, it's like, I never really, I never noticed them before. I never noticed Vienna sausages before at all. But you know, I'm in whatever canned food section that that that the viennas are in, and I'm like, holy shit, look at them all. There's so many. It's a key form of sustidence. I guess it is not my sustenance. But we have these these.
Speaker 6: Pop top events at the church. Oh my god, somebody in the solar system, you know, actually found like the church is listing for the food drive, and Sid was constantly referencing his church in Memphis there. It's just amazing that it came down to so many viennas. Still have in my mind that sort of like relief painting of him looking forlornly on a full garage of undelivered viennas at three point thirty in the morning, realizing what this means and what he has to.
Speaker 3: Do next, hands and his hips, just staring at them.
Speaker 6: Pasture, his hands hanging by his side. Almost, he's almost he's almost christ Like on the cross, you know, with a hung head. You know, the hands aren't up, the hands are down, but the head is similar and that it's kind of bowed and and sort of you.
Speaker 3: Know, so depressed, so angry. Yeah, just he's just he just realized, I'm sure of what to do with all these Vienna's.
Speaker 6: He's unsure. He just knows that now he's got to really ramp up the pressure to get these now, you know. He he you know, we told himself he wouldn't have to it wouldn't have to come to this, right.
Speaker 8: He trusted Frank, He said, my church a case of Vienna sausages, and I sent him an autograph picture.
Speaker 6: Kind of pissed that we missed the opportunity to get an autograph picture.
Speaker 3: That's true. If I if I had known all it took was sending Vienna sausages, I would have I would have done that.
Speaker 6: Certainly would have kept him for myself. I can tell you that much package of crackers, ball water. That's how he says it. Oh my God, and the moon pile or oatmeal.
Speaker 3: Pie poon, tang pile, the whole fucking thing. Shit.
Speaker 6: So the challenge is out. I led with this for a reason. If anybody in the Solar system can find me an isolated clip from WWF television where they refer to him as the revolutionary one or the revolution or even say the word revolutionary about Sid, well we'll figure out some kind of Maybe we'll send you some viennas. I don't know your box of viennas, definitely give you a shout out, because I was sort of like animated by the possibility that if I went through Sid's WWF run, especially this first one, which is where it had to have come from, because I remember.
Speaker 3: Saying, I thought you actually said to me once that it came from his final WCW run.
Speaker 6: That wouldn't make any sense because I was calling him the revolutionary when I was a.
Speaker 3: Little kid, no kidding, all right, because I always remember you putting it because he was something having to do with the fact that he was what the millennium man or something like that, he was the millennium man, yep. And then because then I have him, you know, if you remember in my uh I actually started calling Sid in In No Mercy. He you know, I had a a created version of six because they didn't have him in the game, and I listed him as the revolutionary Sid Justice. And but then, but then I also made a version of him. You could, you can make four versions, remember on one on one body. And so I created a version of him wearing the singlet from w CW and I called him the pre revolutionary Sid Vicious.
Speaker 6: It was before you were right, when this was still a Commonwealth we still answered to the British crown.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that that was the UK Glube one, the pre revolutionary one.
Speaker 3: That's right. It's exactly what it was.
Speaker 6: Just you know, I thought revolutionary. I thought I would stumble upon it. I thought I thought it'd stumble upon a thread I could pull going back through his run for this tribute episode where I could finally isolate where he was called the revolutionary one.
Speaker 3: And I couldn't do it. I didn't find it. So we turn it over to I bet it's on some you know, episode of like Superstars or something. Had to be and I felt like it was said. I felt like it was said in a positive tone, So it had to be when he was a Babyface. Yeah, yeah, so there you go.
Speaker 6: The gauntlet's been laid down on the on the revolutionary front. As it regards our old pal Sid, We're here to figure out what his career meant. And you know, do what we do here when we lose somebody that's a core memory to the cast of characters that set us on this irretrievable road of wrestling obsession for the rest of our lives. No matter what it is we try to do to to regulate it or mitigate it, we keep coming back to this true north of the Hasbro era and Sid played a huge part in that. And we're about to hear in the pages of the in House magazine what, among the other things we'll be talking about on this episode, the WWF soft fit to communicate about Sid, how they wanted us to feel about Sid. And somewhere in New Hampshire, the boss Man was sitting down with this magazine and I'm sure.
Speaker 3: I was too.
Speaker 6: Well, as you read it, perhaps I'll get familiar taking in I will.
Speaker 3: So this is this is the interview. So I'm going to need you to read. Oh, this is one of those Q and as. Yeah, this is a Q and a thing okay, great, Yeah, we still love those. It's so great.
Speaker 6: I used to read those with so much intent intent. All right, so they're numbered, I see.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, talk with Sid Justice WWF interview And this again is decemmer to anyone, decemmer to any one at the Survivor series. Sid Justice will have the opportunity to settle this differences with Jake the Snake once and for all. Now I'm going to constantly interrupt myself and interrupt you, as everybody knows, that match didn't happen.
Speaker 3: Did not happen? Well yeah, well you know it wasn't supposed to be one on one. It was supposed to be Sid captaining the team of Big boss Man and legiing to Doom against Jake Irwin and the natural Disasters.
Speaker 6: And who ended up replacing Sid and said match none. They just they it went down to being a three on three excellent, which is the only time it's ever Tarvisary's history it's been a six man tag instead of an eight or a five man massive. Yeah, as massive as I never knew that either. I never knew that Sid that that that they kind of because he had it was like a he broke his arm or something torn bicep, SID torn by set and he did it. If I'm putting the post pieces together quickly in a match against Jake Roberts. It was not a fan of Sids, and the feeling was mutual. The feeling was very much mutual. So it's really rich that we start with that truncated or a plan that wasn't one of the w w F getting its taste of signing up Sid to the big bucks. And then he's on the shelf almost in course.
Speaker 3: It's not a damn it son of a bitch.
Speaker 6: Tore my boss set. But I'm a d H so I can still play softball.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, what do you mean softball?
Speaker 6: I'm just I'm just a d H.
Speaker 1: D H.
Speaker 3: I don't understand what what a d d H? Drivers?
Speaker 6: Drivers go ahead? Uh uh what are you gonna say?
Speaker 3: Driver? Driver's hymen? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 6: Oh, that's one way to refer to driving school designated to hit?
Speaker 3: What I mean to hit?
Speaker 9: What? Uh?
Speaker 3: Am a softball professional ship? We choose me? You're I don't know about that, but you are immediately he immediately takes that away from him, just like calling j r or whatever somewhat of a journalist.
Speaker 6: Can't help get that word in there.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know you are a professional entertainer, you know, working for the w w E. But I don't know about this this softball thing. I mean, obviously you're you're injured, but it doesn't and you can go play other childish games.
Speaker 6: That doesn't mean you can go play other childish games.
Speaker 3: WWE. It's a childish game, right, other right.
Speaker 6: In addition to this one said in the Snake are eagerly anticipating this impending pay per view showdown? Do you remember caring about that? Do you remember caring about Sid getting his hands on Jake.
Speaker 3: I did no clue at that time. No clue. My fan and forget my fandom started the week before amazing Survivor series, so I had no clue about this whole thing. And how phenomenal is it that we sit here ten years on and in many ways we're re visiting our very first episode in that time period. Yes, that's very true.
Speaker 6: Summer Slam ninety one where Sid comes on pay per view for the first time a special referee, and then it's the postmatch scenario where Liz and Randy Savage are having their reception or whatever the hell it was. Yeah, because get married on the show. And then this, you know, Jake sees fit to deliver a snake to them as a wedding president.
Speaker 3: And it's Sid right that comes to save the day, uh and help out against the undertaker, and and and Jake.
Speaker 6: That's when they obviously still an invited.
Speaker 3: Guest of despite being a brand new, brand new to the company, he's an invited guest to the wedding reception of Brandy and Elizabeth.
Speaker 6: I wonder if they dared tell us even maybe just once that you know their ties biden quite a bit. Remember from part one it was Sid striking up a conversation with Randy Savage so they could play off that they have some history together. But yeah, I don't think they did. I'm sure they didn't, but there you go. Jake was kind of the setup man to get Sid going as the at the top, as one of the top baby faces in the company. So that's that's an interesting what if that never never materialized. By the time he was back, they were thinking he'll already apparently, uh, Sid and the snake or igler anticipating guests the editors here at WWF Magazine recently caught up with Justice. He told us how he felt about the snake. He told us how he felt about.
Speaker 3: This River series.
Speaker 6: In fact, he told us everything that we and our readers wanted to know about himself. So, without any further ado, WWF Magazine brings you this interview with Sid Justice. Sid, let's talk about the macho man in Miss Elizabeth's ms Dot Miss Elizabeth's wedding reception for a moment, as you recall, Jake the snake crashed the wedding reception and menaced Elizabeth with a venomous Asian cobra. Thank goodness for you. Had it not been for your timely intervention, there is no telling what might have happened. Can you tell us what was going through your mind when you saw the snake with the serpent in his hands, intimidating Miss Elizabeth? Matcho, that's what it says, okay, Miss ms Dot Elizabeth, Macho.
Speaker 3: Right was gone through my mind. I guess who deserves another man who destroys another man's wedding party must be lower than dung in my mind, and I'm sure in the minds of millions of people Jake Roberts, is that type of man well at the Survivor series. Jake Roberts, you are gonna see what type of man Sit Justice is. You're gonna see what sit Justice stands for.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 3: Lucky, Jake Roberts, You were lucky you left that wedding reception when you did, because Ah was inches away from busting you upen like a million. He looks like I'll get my chance at the Survivor series in a few weeks.
Speaker 6: I can't believe the syntax of the sentence. Not what do you think your strategy will be? Instead? What do you think will be your strategy? We listen, We're gonna do it in proper English. What do you think will be your strategy moving forward in the WB and regarding this potential, we have to cut the second half of that for space. I just hope it's okay.
Speaker 3: H m hm. Straight ahead, Jake Roberts. I can assure you this off will be coming after you and you only. I don't care about anybody else on your team. You are my only concern. AH will give you the pain that you gave the Macho men, Elizabeth, but I'll give it to you tenfold.
Speaker 6: It sounds as if you're out to seek retribution on behalf of the MACHOs?
Speaker 3: Are we right behalf of the MACHOs?
Speaker 6: It says it man.
Speaker 3: Randy Savage is a man of pride. He is a man who values and protects his family. He's a man whom I trust. He's a friend. Unfortunately, because of some bureaucredit garbage coming out of WW President Jack Tunny's offices, he hasn't been reinstated as a WW superstar. That doesn't mean he can't take care of the snake at the present time. Well, that means he can't take care of the snake at the present day. We're live, said, what can we do that again? Please a ship? Yeah, so, as Randy Savage's friend ah Am seeking revenge for him and his wife, he can't do it, but sid justice will.
Speaker 6: That's loyalty. These days, it's rare to see loyalty and real friendship and professional athletics. It seems to us that said justice just maybe cut from a different cloth.
Speaker 3: I guess it has to do with my upbringing. You know, I was raised on a farm in West Memphis, Arkansas, by my grandfather, who fortunately was stricken with polio. He taught me many things my grandfather did. He taught me many things my grandfather did. He taught me to respect everyone around me, because that's the best way to get respect. He also taught me to help people who need help. Because of people you help today might be helping you tomorrow. I's a father.
Speaker 10: My grandfather knows all about that, because all the livestock he raises and all the vegetables he grows help hungry people survive every day of the week.
Speaker 3: Randy Savage needs my help. His wife needs my help. Jake Roberts, Jake Roberts needs a major beating, and you are looking at the man who deliver it. At the Striver Series.
Speaker 6: That may very well be the case.
Speaker 3: Sid.
Speaker 6: However, even you must realize that Roberts is a snake at heart. He's unpredictable, he's untrustworthy. He's the type of man who will feign an injury in the ring and then strike, and then strike when you least expected. At the Survivors Series, he'll be captaining three other athletes. It's possible that he could send his teammates into battle and wait for his chance to cut you down.
Speaker 3: Are you aware of this? I'm aware of it, and I'm prepared for it. It's true. Roberts is his snake at heart, and he's capable of anything. Most men would be frightened knowing the fact. But sit justice is the top of man who fears no man said, justice is the top of man through fierce, no snake, Jake Roberts, your sins can never be forgiven by anybody. So, Jake Roberts at the Survivor series, there is only one solution, and that is justice will be served.
Speaker 6: We thank you very much for your time.
Speaker 2: Sid He Wrestling podcast.
Speaker 1: He's an lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and can.
Speaker 6: You see It's Real Simple. That's one of his favorites.
Speaker 3: See It's real simple.
Speaker 6: I like the biographical sketch in there about his father and polio and all that. See, they're trying to get him across as somebody that you know is from humble beginning, somebody who knows right from wrong.
Speaker 3: That the thing appreciates justice.
Speaker 6: He appreciates justice, the thing Vince, the many things Vince wants to believe about an American hero. Even though the tide was turning as the eighties became the nineties, I believe.
Speaker 3: That I am a a living, breathing example of justice being served. Wow you think so?
Speaker 6: Doesn't that remain to be seen? What doesn't that remain to be seen?
Speaker 3: I am Listen, I am I am just and I am Ice.
Speaker 6: That's fucking sick Just plus Ice. Well, I'll tell you. If there's justice in this world, the types of which SID, the types of which SID Justice promised to bring to the World Wrestling Federation in nineteen ninety one, then our good pal Gabe is going to continue, Oh yes, to receive the outpouring of support from the TLF Solar system that thus far.
Speaker 3: Are sending you the cover of the magazine to look at Oh God, that is.
Speaker 6: Oh look at him.
Speaker 3: Look at him.
Speaker 6: He looks ready to fucking go.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: But he's got an intensity in his eyes that doesn't say crazy. It says no, like you don't want to face me down in a saloon somewhere right exactly. You don't want this smoke And he knew how to roll a fat blunt, as Tracy Smothers told us. Yeah, Gabe, the support is real, and we want to send another reminder this week that one of the truest, bluest, longest standing, most tenured most real members of the Solar System needs our help as he faces an intense heart surgery coming up next month and it's going to do a number on the household finances his wife and child, and so we're seeking to help. We've done what we can. Many in the Solar System have done what you can as well, But just a reminder, if you're sort of on the fence, if you didn't hear the call, please consider helping Gabe out so that it's as the stress is as mitigated as much as possible going into such an intense surgery like this. The best way to do it, since the go fund me you URLs tend to be kind of choppy, is just google Gabe yoakum that's Gabe last name, yo cum go fund me and you'll see it, and you'll see donations from many members of the Solar System. I suppose several of the anonymous donors that came to the table after we did the shout out on our last episode were inspired by tlfs so and gave knows you know how many of you are and the appreciation runs deep. But we feel obliged what we shared. The link to the gofund me as well on our ex account, So if you scroll down a bit, you should be able to see some recent retweets from us as well. But please do consider helping him out. This is what it's about. I mean, this is TLFX. You know, it's it's been a virtuous circle since the beginning. It's been a virtuous circle ever since we realized when we set up the Patreon that there are people out there that love this shit so much, that are so willing to say keep going, that they put money on the table, you know, that huge right that it became from there. Okay, well, you keep telling us how badly you need it, and we'll keep working harder, you know, spending more on things like research and you know, overturning every stone we possibly can, and just growing and growing and growing and growing what tlf can be. How about just creating a whole separate movie podcast for patreons that, seriously, that is now an indispensable part of every everyone who pledges in that denomination in Hire's life, as far as I can tell from my vantage point. So it's this is part of the ecosystem, This is part of the bargain, and so we call on you to help Gabe in a time of need, and we'll be standing here resolute in our mission to support you guys with casting. That's what we can do. That's why you cared about us in the first place. That's why you will continue to care about us. That's the extent of what we can do is just cast and cast and cast and cast past ten years and beyond. So big shout out there. Also, big shout out speaking of TLFX Games to our forens at Garage Beer, Yes, who have been wonderful supporters of the TLFX Games tournament, which just continues to take on a life of its own since we last were with you. Voting has concluded in the second round of our initially sixty four character tournament to determine who is thirty two whatever it was, to determine the greatest character in LAPS fan history. And it's getting tight.
Speaker 3: It is, it really is. It's very uh, it's very exciting.
Speaker 6: So there is this, you know you've been hearing from them the t l FX Games event center and Boss, what did you think?
Speaker 12: What was that?
Speaker 6: What do you think about the latest round?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 3: I was I'll tell you, I was very intrigued by that there were two, that there were two battles that were neck and neck for the whole time. You know that it was a Vern and Andre and what should we call it? And uh and Jesse and the editor unreal that was intense and Jesse winning by only like one percent.
Speaker 6: Thought we let him in the debates. I mean, you imagine if we didn't let him in the debates, it would have happened. I know, exactly. So really really getting interesting as folks are now really having to decide. You know, we're talking like lapsed canon heart like like folks that you just consider indispensable parts of the rogues gallery of characters that we've created organically over the years on the show. And I can't wait to see who ultimately crowned King of the cast. But it has come down to lapsed bulldog who eliminated our subject at du jour. Here on the Streak Show, we talked about how loud I.
Speaker 3: Wonder I see That's what I was saying, you know, we were talking about when we were recording the episode. I do wonder if Vienna's would have would have helped Sid.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's term.
Speaker 3: Didn't drop before before it changed.
Speaker 6: It certainly appeared that Sid's passing did help him advance in the first round, where he had I believe initially was losing in the polling. As a reminder, by the way, if you don't know we're talking about, if you follow us on exit the lapsed fan, you two will get your chance. We open up the polls for everybody to vote, and we leave it open for a few days and just let the chips fall where they may, match up by matchup, and the surprises are starting to trickle in. That first round was pretty predictable. There were maybe one or two surprises, but in terms of not who won, but how close certain matchups were. Now it's getting to be like you said, watching sweating Andre versus Vern down to the wire. Yeah, there are fans out there like fuck that No Vern fans like no fuck that Andre, and you can see them pushing each other back and forth as the as the percentage totals change, and.
Speaker 3: I do I do find it very interesting too that it was Jesse fighting the media. You know, that's what that's what he was doing. He was fighting the media, and I wanted it was probably holding me back the whole damn time, right, you know, I'm shitting here saying, hey, you know what, I'm not only king of the cash, I'm king of the country. It's about time I triumph over the media. It's about damn time I did triumph over some form of media. No telling what the lapse editor is going to go back to his office and plot now that he's out of the X Games. Of course that's for future development perhaps. So we've got Nash, We've got Andre, We've got Jesse, We've got Helen Hart, who was a late addition after folks pointed out her omission from the initial slate, which is amazing. Laps Dusty, laps Hogan and lapsed Vince, who will it come down to? Your chance to decide is coming quite soon, I mean Hogan and Vince Like this is you know you're looking at you got to look at at Vince's trajectory here. Yeah, okay, this is fascinating. He beats his best friend in round one, he beats his biggest money maker in round two, and now he's set the square off with his probably biggest overall superstar.
Speaker 6: Yep, you know there's there's poetry happening here. There is poetry happening. Yes, And we look forward to seeing how it shakes out. Somehow I feel like it. No matter how it shakes out, it's going to shake out just as it should have. Yes, it's going to end up making all the sense in the world when we make the final assessment. But your chance to decide who will be the king of the cast? Who is the greatest character in tlf history After ten years of casting the fuck out of this shit, you get the chance to decide. So keep your ears locked to our feed for another round of Sean Mooney and the TLFX Games Events Center as he goes through the next round of matchups, and here from the participants, and you make the decision. You hear from both sides. It is election season, after all, that is true, and the candidates are on the stump. They're on the stump. And so again TLFX Games going strong, thanks to everyone who made it happen, including our friends over at a garage beer and you talk about Vince, You talk about serendipity, you talk about his trajectory, You talk about the people he's beating in the X Games being so illustrative of the ways he came up in the world and in business and in the wrestling industry. And by the time many of you hear this, the Netflix documentary series on Vince McMahon, the long awaited Bill Simmons project on Vince McMahon, will have been out into the atmosphere in the ether and we want to do something. We're going to do something. At the very least we've been informed Boston nasal Gas is on the case. I'm not surprised.
Speaker 3: I mean, I imagine that anytime something like this is going on, that he is, you know, he's trying to He's trying to get that, you know, get get get a call in at some point.
Speaker 6: Absolutely. I mean, he's the one that's been my finding the facts most closely about not only Vince's outer monologue, not only his public record, but his private inner monologue, his private inner record. And we know this over the years as part of KLFX in This American work and the occasional series were nasaled despite his best efforts. Only occasionally can surface Lapsed Vince for a series of testimonials about his life and times. The episodes, such as they've happened to date, are all available on the Lapsed Fans YouTube page if you check them out. This American work is Vince when we thought he was retired and not under as much scrutiny perhaps as he is today pre being sued.
Speaker 3: I'm scrutiny now I'm being scrutinized. I'm pleasant, I'm content. I'm exactly where I knew I would be, and that is right on top, always end forever. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if we had the reigns of the Netflix series, you better believe that's what we title. And I have the feeling by all the time, all of a sudden done, Vince will not be taking an l here. Okay, that's not ever where the spark money is. But we're gonna We're gonna find out, and Nasal Gas is on the case. So do also no promises in terms of when and what, but when Nasal is ready to report out, you will be the first to hear it here in the TF Solar System as part of our recurring series this American Work. And as mentioned when before Vince was sued by Janelle Grant, Nasal had much more success sitting him down or reflect on his life and times and the extent to which those were successful. Connections are evident as mentioned in our YouTube page. But just no, just know that we're paying close attention.
Speaker 3: We're listening to.
Speaker 6: Every word, We're observing every turn of phrase, every turn of narrative, and we'll hone in. We'll hone in on the in betweens, We'll hone in the unspoken moments. We'll hone in on the the rushes to judgment, perhaps the leaps of narrow that perhaps you can expect in a series like this, as robust as it appears to be. I think it's going to be like six hours long, but you're going to hear this. It's going to be out there. It's what's everyone's going to be talking about. And this is our message to you. Nasal is on the case also in the case of our friends at Chopped Teas.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean this is fuck yeah.
Speaker 6: We said it last week. The ros war Jacket, in the style of TLF has been created, has been drafted, has been made a reality by our palaticky bird. You've seen it, you've worn it, you've felt it, you've tasted it, and we want the rest of the Solar System to taste it as well, don't we.
Speaker 3: Boss. Ah Yeah, listen, it's it is, it's it's what dreams are made of.
Speaker 6: It's whenever every lapsed fan needs for Christmas. Honestly, oh fuck yeah, you know you're gonna start getting those texts in about two months. What do you want?
Speaker 3: What do you want?
Speaker 6: Just send the link because we're here to announce that our Palticky Bird is putting together materials to make that jacket, that varsity jacket with TLF insignia available to you quite soon at Chopped Teas, which is the place to go for all of you or specialized TLF swag beyond t shirts, things like hats and track jackets and zubaz pants and fanny packs and you know, cups and shit, all that kind of packs. Yeah, what's up with that?
Speaker 3: Need them?
Speaker 6: Come on now, back into play. So it's just an amazing platform. Chop Teas is doing great work and keeping keeping in the spirit of what TLF is about. You know, our finest partners and this goes down the list have always been and Gabe is among them. We mentioned Garage Beer. It's always people who know the show, know the show and end up being entrepreneurial on the other side and say, you know what, I know why people listen to the show. I know they're for real and they eat a bunch of bitch ass motherfuckers. They're not a bunch of freeloading cunts, and so it's worth creating things that delight them because they're willing to reciprocate that attention to detail and that entreaty with support. It's something that is probably the safest bet you're going to find in the wrestling podcast space in terms of receptive audience. It's can seriously consider what you're bringing the market to. The co chairman deem it worthy and that's what's happening here at chop Teas. That's what's happening. And the jacket will be available for purchase before you know it, because that's what's up. And I'll tell you what, boss, If we keep talking about Viennas, if we keep going down this road in our sid tribute, yes, I think our pro Wrestling tea shop is going to get to reflect it quite quickly.
Speaker 3: Yes, I will say that there are already by the time this drops, there should be two Vienna shirts added to the catalog.
Speaker 6: I mean, people are hitting us up with their own brilliant designs. It's just like this is the thing, this is going to be the thing. I mean, Yeah, you can't talk about Vienna sausages as much as sid did in his you know, I mean in its twilight it's without us grabbing onto it.
Speaker 3: It's really what is so what is incredible about it really is the fact that here here is that he talked so passionately about it. Yes, you know, he could have he could have talked about it and just kind of thrown it away, but he he was all about one hundred and fifty thousand pounds of Vienna's nipped cans whatever. He never pounds.
Speaker 6: He never talked about helping out his church without specifying the precise cuisine exactly. And that's the kind of thing that's the that's the kind of detail that we don't miss here at tlo oh. We never miss that kind of stuff because it's all about food instead proving that again, so our progresting tees dot Com slash the Lapsed Fan Store definitely going to be reflective of the kind of moments that are happening as we eight the Great sid Udy here over the next several episodes on that fucking cast. So you do want to keep it very keep it very close eye to the store as well as you know meant the aforementioned holiday gifts stuff. I mean, there can't be a moment in the catalog over ten years that you can't buy a shirt that reflects I know. I mean there's so many as we just go, we just boss waste no time. I mean, we say something on the show and the next day he's texting me like, I.
Speaker 3: Mean sometimes it happens during the show and I'm like, all right, you know what, I got to do this right now, that's as we're recording it. I'll send you a fucking It's not like once or twice and I've sent you like an image fucking it here. Look at this.
Speaker 6: Part of that ecosystem I mentioned, part of that virtuous circle, virtuous cycle. Also, you know, if you want to throw a coin in the jukebox and get us to dance for you, Cameo is there for you? Okay, no, yes, hemeo dot com slash lapsed fan, send us your requests, jump in a cannon, have lapsed characters and do things that you think are appropriate or funny, or you know, just have us pass on some well wishes to someone in your life, or have lapsed Vince talk down to someone on their birthday. You've done several of those.
Speaker 3: God, that's always the best is when they you know, when they say, hey, you know so and so is celebrating this. Can you tell them what a fucking piece of shit they are? Yes, that's easy, plenty of practice in there, you say, so that's what you want?
Speaker 6: Sure, so do do patronize us in more ways than one over on cameo. That's that's very much available to you and and vibrant and again we'll want the call out. We did it last week and I'm just not gonna let it happen again this year. Where we think of the Christmas show too late for folks that want to get us stuff to feature on that wonderful annual tradition that that's taking shape the unwrapping as we've taken gifts from the Solar system and unwrap them and react to them in real time on the pod as part of spreading some holidays cheer and so if you want to make sure that whatever you have in mind for your co chairman arrives in time for said taping and isn't sort of like straggler gifts that we were glad to open and thrilled and delighted to open, but we'd like to We just love to fit everything in that one session because that's when we get together and really feel the spirit and it's and everything is as it should be if you want to be part of that session, which to me, you really should want to be. Uh, you're going to want to get that gift off sooner rather than later, especially if you're overseas and international. That's something that I think we've underestimated in the past.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, that can be. That can be uh get a little troubling. So a little troubling, a little trouble.
Speaker 6: It just might just takes longer than we appreciate that sometimes to get to get to us. And so you need to know that the time is now. Honestly, the time is now. We've already got We've already got how many like.
Speaker 3: Seven or eight.
Speaker 6: I think that's a hell of a start. So this is happening, folks. This is not a fucking This isn't some kind of theoretical thing. So the PO box is the lapsed fan seven ten Main Street, South seven one zero me Street, South PO Box one one nine one one nine south Bury s O U T H b U R Y Connecticut zero six four eight eight again zero six four eight eight. Do get in the queue. Do get what we need on the on the ship, on the boat, on the freight ye or in the UPS truck or in the us SPS truck, whatever the case may be. Get it to your co chairman, and make sure that it is indeed a merry Christmas for everybody in the Solar System. You know what to do, and we continue to offer, uh, let's say, seasonal reinforcement. You know, when it leaves turn or the weather turns, you can count on your co chairman to sniff that out and present content that's that's appropriate in that way. Last year, it was tricky under the cinemat to keep with the the scary movie bargain that we made upon the launch of this incredibly popular series where we dive in to Hollywood movies that feature pro wrestlers and just go all in on whatever the wrestler is and.
Speaker 3: Whatever the movie is.
Speaker 6: We're in the middle of the Bond journey, but Boss tell them about the sort of detour will be taking and how the rest of the year is going to shape out.
Speaker 3: Under the cinema. Yes, as as I mentioned before, you know we were in the middle. We're actually at a great stopping point for now on the Bond journey because of the way that the final leg of the journey is its own. It's its own journey in a way, you know, it's its own journey, and so it's a it's a it's a good place to kind of reuh, you know, kind of regroup a little bit, take a moment and focus on some other things, and then come back to it and start afresh. So it is Scary Movie season, and we will have movies all throughout October for Scary Movie Season, and then we'll return with James Bond.
Speaker 6: In November and finish that up just in time for Christmas movie season exactly, exact right to our point about holiday themes exactly, I have to say, you know, as much Christmas and Halloween or whatever, you know, Fourth of July, whatever the holiday is themed content we've done on the main show over the past ten years, I feel the most inner warmth when I sit down for an Under the Cinemat episode that's in keeping with the season. Oh, that's under the Cinemat is the place to really soak that in.
Speaker 3: It really, you know, it's it does the same thing for me, Like, you know, when I start looking at the movies that that that that I've chosen for the seasons, it just it really does that there's something about it. I'm like, oh, this is so great, Like I get all tingly and no different with this. I'm then we get it. We get some some real heavy hitters. So I'm excited to I'm excited to thrust that upon you. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 6: I mean scary movies that is truly the dominion of the pro wrestler when one totally is he tries to make the transition to Hollywood. I mean, we talked about when we did Halloween, the Michael Myers character influencing so many rest of characters from King all the way down, and just so much to chew on.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 6: We're sitting here talking about a sid who I don't know exactly if you'd call the Mad Mac series, the Thunderdome stuff scary movies, but they're certainly, you know, there are certainly characters created in the vein of fucking you know, superkillers basically. Sure, So it's all there. I mean, these bookers from our these bookers that put the wrestling out there that we absorbed and remember so fondly we're watching movies to get inspiration.
Speaker 3: They're very absorbed into pop culture and what was going on in Hollywood.
Speaker 6: We're gonna get through this utter of the cinemat format a chance to talk about all of them over the years, and definitely definitely a time to lean in, you know, because you're gonna get the end of the Bond journey, you're gonna get scary movie season, you're gonna get Christmas movie season. It's where UTC really thrives and goes absolutely nuts. So you want to absolutely consider joining if you're on the fence about it again. Under the Cinemata is available to our executive producer tier on Patreon and above those Mote tier members of course get everything and more. And we've got quite quite a few ideas in mind for some lapsed outings that have been the exclusive dominion the invite only list on the Moat tier yep, because if you're willing to show that much support, we're willing to let you into the circle closer to the conscience, closer to the beating heart of the cast. So I keep your eyes and ears peel if you're in the moat tier for that, but of course under the Cinemat available to the tier render as well our EP and above tier, and we definitely urge you to consider joining. One of the things we're going to be unloading on you as part of the Sid Journey is an archived under the Cinemat episode that all of a sudden as relevance. We did it on a lark, I think, boss, I.
Speaker 3: Mean it was well, no, it was, I mean it was done. I mean, I guess partially on a lark.
Speaker 13: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a scary movie, you know, so it's kind of fitting in a way. It was an awful horror film and Sid is in it. And there actually was a feature on Sid getting his makeup done because he plays a monster. Yes, so it's called River of Darkness and he plays Jonah Jacobs. And this is when he did way after his wrestling career was over. Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean this was came out in twenty eleven.
Speaker 6: So we've done it. We did it years ago under the Cinemat.
Speaker 3: R two years ago. Actually two years ago.
Speaker 6: We did it, but to give you a sampling as we're you know, as every now and then we're inspired to do. Remember, we did uh, we brought forward Rocky three when we did the Terry Funk tribute because of the role that he at Paradise Alley. You know where Terry Funk is actually in it Rocky three. He plays a role in the lore around how Holt Colgan ultimately got the thunder Lips role. Oh God, whors Paradise Alley prominently featuring Terry Funk is Frankie the Thumper and in many ways setting a blueprint for what Rocky is, or at least speaking to it. So it's great, it's it's it's always awesome, and we can be like, all right, there's a cinemat episode that that makes some sense here to surface. We surfaced ready to rumble when we were in the midst of our you know, history of w CW stuff, when Weis was doing their series and we started doing a show about w W greed the final pay per view. So it makes sense to make River of Darkness available to all and the glimpse it gives us. Did you know that Sid was in consideration for a super Shredder.
Speaker 3: I did not know that.
Speaker 6: I don't remember if we talked about that. I don't think so, I don't think I knew that, but yeah, he's talked about it. He pretty much was like Chilly on the idea. He was never really enthusiastic about getting into two movies and he was under the I think there was kind of a thing where he's got a story where because his wrestling obligations were going to be such that the office would kind of sour on losing him for that long at WCW. That that's why the role went to Kevin Nash was basically because you know, Nash was much more expendable in terms if you take him off the road, it's not going to make a very big difference to the cards because he was oz Still or Vine Vegas probably at that point in time, and no one gave a fuck really, you know, if he was around or not. So so yeah, I guess we can. We can chalk up Sid passing on Super Shredder to Kevin Nash getting his first taste of Hollywood, which to this day he definitely still has an appetite for. Oh fuck yeah and say that for sure. Yes, So keep your eyes peeled and do join in just in time for Under the Cinemat to reach a whole new level. I can't wait to see what the boss has in mind. As the leaves turn and as those jack O lanterns get lit, people are starting earlier this year than ever.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it. I really cannot believe it. I get so excited when I see It's like I drive by someone's lawn, you know, on one day, and then you know the next day it's completely littered with Halloween decorations. I'm so fucking excited.
Speaker 6: That's a long time coming. And we're gonna we're gonna ring it inappropriately here as we always do with TLF. And finally on the support front, I mean, it makes a ton of sense if we're talking about a SID who came in and epitomized what it meant to be Titan sports in nineteen ninety one. If we're talking about SID who's wwa first run kind of ended under the haze and cloud of you know, it increased Titan wellness policy. You know, if we're talking about wellness, we're talking about Titan. We need to talk about the true middle of the roadway to improve that health and look in association, in association and in accordance with lapsed fan guidelines. If you're looking to get into shape and you're looking for some supplementation to do so, you can't do it in a more TLFX way than to support our longtime friends over a Titan Nutrition Boss. Absolutely, this partnership is a robust one. Titan Nutrition is one of the most trusted and respected supplement brands in the industry. You will find their products and supplement stores across the country. They have a wide range of products from amazing proteins and vitamins to pre workouts and superfoods, and all of their products are backed by the cGMP, which stands for greater manufacturing practices using FDA monitored facilities in third party testing. We're talking about products that we're super excited to be offering to you for a discount. If you go to their website, tight nutrition dot Net and check out some of these amazing protein flavors like cinnamon roll that's seasonally appropriate, absolutely yes, cherry bomberry and strawberry sorbet, and you use the discount code lapsed p s D check out, you can get ten percent off your order and free shipping. Again, that's tight nutrition dot Net with discount code lapsed, and you won't be disappointed. We very much appreciate folks out there who are, you know, sort of like get ripped minded. We know there are a lot of you out there. A ton of respect to you for staying on that horse, and you just need to know that there's a TLF approved way to do it with our friends of tight nutrition, and it's always great to see folks kind of get on a program with them, and we kind of are kept updated by tightening on, you know, folks who keep on the subscription, and we weeply appreciate you jumping in with us in that direction.
Speaker 1: Fan Wrestling podcast, he's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carno and Jpro.
Speaker 6: Would that dispensed with? Where did we leave sid Well? We left him making a decision, Uh, do I sign this guaranteed contract with WCW with promises of a world title run or do I take this nagging thing from Vince of like this is going to be my only opportunity to have this spot the number one spot in professional wrestling.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: Of course, what Vince McMahon does and doesn't mean when he makes these representations vis a vis Hulk Cogan spot is up for debate and an interpretation.
Speaker 3: I mean right, I mean their money. Oh, I can offer this opportunity pill and we're just talking about an opportunity to eventually obtain a spot similar to Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: You know there have been many there, We've you've taken chances on a multitude of individuals who have either succeeded in their own way or perhaps uh not succeeded in their own way. And you know, we're always we're always looking to maintain a you know, a caliber a caliber of caliber of competitor right to to you know, potentially lead the way into the future of the WWE and at the same time, you know, lead but not you know, lead but fall pretty far behind Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 6: Okay, sounds appetizing. I'm I'm doubly sold now, Vinz, thanks for the extrapolation. But yeah, I mean because Sid just came up with this thing of like, oh my god, if w CW is offering this much money right now, this is an opportunity for me to see what Vince would say if I put myself out there and and he just says, I want Hogan spot. It's similar to when Brett wanted to come at WCW and he said, he wants a dollar more than Hogan makes. Yeah, right, that's just like shorthand for the most money I could possibly make your company.
Speaker 3: I want I want Hulk Coogan spot. I see that's a very interesting proposition for yourself.
Speaker 6: I do you sound like a yes?
Speaker 3: Are you referring to? Just what spot? Are you referring to? I want this spot?
Speaker 6: Well, I am you mean you mean the leg drop?
Speaker 3: Do you mean? Do you mean? Do you mean his his parking spot tightened hours? Is that I can do that?
Speaker 7: That that?
Speaker 3: I don't think there'll be much of a problem. I want a spot on the card, my birthday card. Yes, that's fine too, I will I will make that happen. You can have where he would sign it. You can have his spot.
Speaker 6: Can you imagine he pulls up to the tower for the meeting to sign the contract, and there's a sign in the parking lot with Hulk Hogan's name on it, crossed out with Sid over Teltreppel. I'm a man of my wordy, you have whole Hogan spot.
Speaker 3: I'm pleased.
Speaker 6: I hope you are too, Because he said Sid. You know Sid says Vince flew him out immediately upon expressing interest immediately. And god, can you imagine being a Titan Towers the day Sid walks through the front door for the first time. Oh my god, the buzz that creates it be insane just to be in the in the confines because you know they've moved offices, but that old Titan Tower, man, it was in a kind of like a residential neighborhood, like you could just like, yeah, you could spy on that place. I think yes, and I'm sure wrestling fans have over the years. But my god, just to think about the intrigue going on at this point with him playing both sides. You know, Sid recalls Dusty coming up to him at a show in Alabama WCW because Dusty had taken the book back over after his WWF run and came in the February of ninety one. So this is right around the time Sid is weighing what to do. And you know, as you heard last week, Dusty tail Sid, this is the plans I have. We can make your world champ. You're gonna have a match with Vader, then you're gonna do a feud with Rick rud And the way Sid has talked about it in Chewed interviews. They were going to build up Rick Rude really strong with a bunch of big wins. There apparently was like a boxing commercial featuring Julier Ciso Chavez at the time where they ran down like in a black and white ad, like a laundry list of the names he had defeated to get to the next match, And they were going to do something similar, according to Sid, with Rick Rud, where they would list all the opponents he's he's gone through to get to Sid. I hadn't really thought about Sid versus Rick Rud for the WCW title as a program. I don't know if that excites me or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. Ian that does sound interesting.
Speaker 6: It's interesting cause I don't know how you cast both guys necessarily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. Yeah, that's that's kind of that is hard. But I'm intrigued by that. I'm intrigued by a Rude and Sid program.
Speaker 6: Yep, absolutely.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 6: Yeah as the baby face So Rick Rud babyface runs I think was the idea. And you know, so Dusty's putting the pressure. He's like, I want you to have a brand new contract. I want you to be here for four years, five years something like that. At the time, he was on like a one or two year year deal, and so they came up with the figure. And you know, he he had heard Sid has said and shooting interviews. He had heard at the time of these discussions were going on that Hulk Hogan was considering taking time off. Of course, this is amid the Arsenio Hall mess and hul Cogan's fucking disastrous nineteen ninety one, and that that would be a spot that could be open on the WWF cards because certainly Warrior had failed. And it's true if you look at the if you look at who they had, like, yeah, it's not really clear who was going to be the top baby face in WWF. But Hogan took the hiatus. It really wasn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't agree with I agree with that.
Speaker 6: So you can as ludicrous as it might sound at first, that Sid was offered the Hogan spot, so to speak, or was led to believe that the Hogan spot was open to him by Vince, I can see if if it was concrete that Hogan was going to disappear for six months for the first time since you know, ho Comania started, really that kind of a prolonged disappearance, and you can kind of see how someone could be convinced that this is a new opportunity. You know, we know Hogan comes back and just takes right over again.
Speaker 7: We know this.
Speaker 3: So it's like.
Speaker 6: It's hard to remember what a weird headspace they were in. Is it regards that spot in ninety two and as it regards Hogan in ninety two. Yeah, with that open ended question about when he'd come back, So he's he's thinking about this, and he you know, knows that that's a big money opportunity. He'd never talked to Vince up to that point. Says maybe I should give him a call. So I called him. He put him right through, told him what was going on. Would you fly in tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 6: So he went over there. I told him what I wanted. I can't promise that, Yeah, just like just like Vince can't promise an annual salary pal. What's funny that it's funny Bell, you can't promise. You can't promise you'll be here. I can't promise anything but opportunity.
Speaker 3: I can't. I can't promise that you'll have a job ever. Again, I can't wait to come to work for him. How does that feel? Exactly? Where? Fuck with me? Exactly?
Speaker 6: How does that feel? That's the opening conversation between Vince and Sid. Sid probably should have taken a hint at that point. No, how does that feel? But you know, he's like he's looking at with the exception of when he first broke in and was scraping by, he's looking at a business that he's only non guaranteed money in the WP contract was guaranteed, whether he was hurt or not. And he's feeling Vince out on whether you know, as much as it's clear in the industry that Vince doesn't offer guaranteed money, will he bend here as he eventually did, not to Sid so much, but to others. And No, Vince was still steadfast in nineteen ninety one about not off ring a guaranteed salary.
Speaker 3: But you know he was able to say that, Look, I don't believe in guarantees. Why is that promises? I don't believe in guarantees.
Speaker 6: I believe in promises. You, however, should not believe in my promises.
Speaker 3: You should believe in my guarantees which are nil, which are not you know, they're not necessarily reliable, but you should believe in them.
Speaker 6: By the way, there goes that word again.
Speaker 3: Yes, mother.
Speaker 6: So so Vince isn't, you know, budging on that front. So for Sid, it's it's a gamble. But when you talk about the Hogan spot, it pencils out. It's like, okay, well, what I mean is that Hogan made this much for WrestleMania, he made this much for merch. And it's like, if Sid is convincing himself that he can do as great a job as Hulk did, he's convincing himself he can make as much money as Hulk did. Of Course, Vince, if I can editorialize here, Vince knows that's not true. Vince knows there's no fucking chance that, no matter what he does with Sid, he's going to be anywhere near as over as Hulk was for those peak earning years. But it wouldn't surprise me that that wouldn't stop Vince from sliding those numbers across the table as what might be possible. Of course, absolutely, And yeah, listen, you know what I want to tell you. Something said anything is possible in the wah. You know there's a lot further I.
Speaker 3: Could you know, and uh, maybe someday get arrested.
Speaker 6: It's not gonna happen, but as possible, I get indicted one day, I.
Speaker 3: Could get indicted. I can get indicted, maybe multiple times.
Speaker 9: Us.
Speaker 3: I'll get off at home and in the legal.
Speaker 6: Platform, at home and in the legal platform, at the legal arena, at the legal category. It's just another platform to fence and Nadie McMahon. So yeah, that's what I can offer. And so Sid's like fuck that, I'll take guaranteed money, thanks, but no thanks. And he's getting all dressed up to go to the WW offices living near Atlanta to sign the contract, and according to him, Vince calls again. His wife picks up as he's in the driveway. This always happens to said, like I said in part one, there's always a story around how that phone call came through when he wasn't expecting it, because he just, you know, he's very sensitive about being accused of playing two sides off of each other, which is of course precisely what he did. Of course, so he has to like come up with these stories about how he didn't want to talk to someone on the phone. They just happened to call him, and he has the same story, but when he came back in ninety five about how it was a call waiting thing. He was avoiding calls and he got stuck just clicking over when he was on a call and it was Vince and now he's stuck. Oh shit, I answered the phone. I'm stuck. I can't say no at that point if you answer the phone, right. So his wife waves him down in the driveway and tells him Vince's on the phone again, And that's the that's the story that we ended last episode with was where Vince says something to the effect of you know, because Sid has told the story several times and the wording he puts in Vince's mouth is always a little different, but it's essentially, you know, you'll never get an opportunity like this again, this is your in that that really apparently resonated with Sid, and despite there not being a guaranteed offer, he takes Vince's offer, and he even said in one interview that he actually went to the w W offices after that conversation, had them hand the contract to him across the table, and he returned it to them and said, no, I'm leaving. He's still fucking idiot went to the Yeah, uh went to the offices to to to engage in that showmanship because certainly, certainly he wasn't looking for a counter offer. That was not at all his intention to play anyone off of anybody else. He he doesn't play bullshit games like that. According to Fair, I'm Vince, Vince. I didn't. I didn't call you back because I didn't want to put you in the middle. And in other words, I didn't call you back so I wanted you to call back with a sweeter offer.
Speaker 3: And it happened, didn't it. I can't do not or or admit to anything.
Speaker 6: Here's the magic wand he said, Vince told him, what do you want? So he says, Hogan, spot and we go from there. I see, And as he said, you know, he walked away from seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars guaranteed in WCW when you put all the value of all the contracts together. So he's coming into WWF with that level of expectation that if he doesn't exceed that level of earnings, to his mind and the way he thinks about the business, he's made a huge mistake. So as much as we can celebrate this run. And as much as said looked like a real big time player in wwfter in this run, in his mind, all he's thinking about is how much he would have been guaranteed if he was in WCW and the opportunities that creates perhaps for him to dick off a little bit and still get paid. Right, He's tremendous, is what he is, which under Vince's stuff, which under Vince's system you can't really do. I mean, you get paid because you work on shows that Vince perceives you helped, you know, draw a big house for or big pay per view by rate for and then you get, you know, through some completely opaque formula, a slice of that. And if he perceived my sense is if he perceives you're unhappy, or if he perceives that he needs to keep you closer to the vest, he bumps you up and you get a bigger check than you would have expected. And he does that strategically along the way to make to keep your sort of eyes wide about what the possibilities might be for bigger checks down the road. If you continue pleasing him. You know that that's how he used to operate and so.
Speaker 3: How can you pleasure me?
Speaker 6: That's how the contract were.
Speaker 3: Listen said, I'm in the business of.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, say it.
Speaker 3: I'm in the business of pleasure, and I need to know before I offer you anything. How are you going to pleasure.
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 6: He needs to know this. He needs to know this before he offers him anything, as if what he's willing to do to please Vince isn't in direct correlation to how much he's willing he's going to make. You know, So you mean for zero dollars, what am I willing to do for you? Is that the question?
Speaker 3: Nothing?
Speaker 6: Well, you tell me right, not what most say, Pal. I follow your logic, Pal, but that's not what most say when I put that proposition to them. I tell you those that have strong answers to that questions are working here making very good money.
Speaker 3: Right now, I've had a numerous pleasure you know, pleasure positive experiences.
Speaker 6: And here I am thinking PPE stood for personally protective equipment.
Speaker 3: Where do you come up with this ship?
Speaker 6: I swear to God's pleasure positive experiences, He's in the pleasure of business.
Speaker 3: Are you fucking kidding to say?
Speaker 6: And you can picture said like basically short circuit and you're trying to process what all these code words mean.
Speaker 3: No, no clue. Look, I just want to wrestle.
Speaker 6: That's what you want to do. That's your side on what I want to receive. I just want to wrestle. That's what you want to do. That's not what I want to receive. What what do you want to receive.
Speaker 7: Of?
Speaker 6: It's good you're you're so certain, right. If you know what you don't want to receive, that must mean you know what you do want to receive.
Speaker 3: Listen again, you know the the the the ability to compete in the ring is something that you offer. But in reception, I need something that is a little more ethereal than ahead ethereal. And what else is I just? I need, you know, I need. I need something that kind of expands my mind, expands my my sensory.
Speaker 6: The fuck, oh my god. I never know what this guy's gonna say.
Speaker 3: Because I can hire any I can't. I can bring any any schmuck in here and say go ahead and wrestle. But I need, you know, what do I get in this in this venture?
Speaker 6: He's thinking to himself, what does this guy want me to say? For Christ's sake, It's like because now now it's too late. Now you can't go back to Dusty. So it's like, now, Vince, like wait a minute, let's really talk here.
Speaker 3: And and you know, I need to know exactly how you are going to give me pleasure. I am a pleasure receptor and I require your services.
Speaker 6: It's like an androgen receptor, like the It's what the steroids attached to. Oh my god, I mean, what what do you want? Like you want to you wanna have like it's not kind of what happens if you want to go, we can go. We haven't seen the doc yet.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, listen, it's just no behavior.
Speaker 6: We haven't seen the doc yet. And I'm not talking about Carlin Kolker.
Speaker 3: Okay, So.
Speaker 6: All right, Well they go back and forth and Sid says the deal is this that he's going to come in and they're gonna do something they've never done before. All Sid is going to do for the first year is TV's and pay per views. And remember this is before Raw. This is you know, that's not much at all. You got a couple of TV tapings basically, and worked a big pay per view and you know, he does have to go on the road.
Speaker 3: That that was what he says.
Speaker 6: Sid says was his understanding about the terms of his arrival, and it was kind of Vince's idea of how to really accentuate and get Sid ready for a position of that magnitude, and so he was all about that. And he says after WrestleMania like basically WrestleMania. According to Sid, and this lines up with what Dave Meltzer has said and what others have said over the years, WrestleMania is going to be WrestleMania eight is going to be where you're crowned. Now, when I say crowned, do I necessarily mean become WWF champion? I think that's what if I'm like putting the pieces together. That's what Vince said, for what it's worth. Bruce Pritchard, who was in between ww F ten years at this time, so he was not in the office, says that's just not something Vince does. Vince does not promise someone WrestleMania like that.
Speaker 3: They might hear that.
Speaker 6: And we know, you know from Brett Hart's story about getting the Winter holl Cog and how when you actually get everyone in a room, Vince will go back on what you thought you heard about his promises.
Speaker 3: I didn't say you will. I said, you know, it's a possibility, right, I can see you a very good possibility that you will someday main event a WrestleMania type event.
Speaker 6: All I said said is I can see you having WrestleMania as your crowning moment.
Speaker 3: I can. I can see you at a WrestleMania esque event. Not in necesscessarily, he's not even promising wrestle Mania, you know, a main event of sorts. But you know these are these are neither here nor there right at this point.
Speaker 6: Well, this is a Sid who was so incapable of remembering the name of the pay per view when he's cutting promos for it that, according to him, they had to put a sign up and say, just tell Sid to say Mania. Oh my god, is he saying wrestling Mania? Wherever else he's saying no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, god damn it. Said, what are you saying out there? I'm seeing wrestling Mania. That's what I thought. You said, It's just wrestle Mania. It's not wrestling Mania. Why the fuck would I name my show? I want to name anything wrestling Mania? What do you think this is? I think it's gonna be the colossal tussle. You bitch.
Speaker 6: Oh shit, I can feel that hand warming up. It's not gonna fly yet, but it's warming up. That's the first time Vince felt a tingle in his palm.
Speaker 3: A bitch, I will not answer that question. Oh yes, you will. No, I will not. You don't know what.
Speaker 6: Instead of saying no, he says, I'm not going to answer that question. This is going to be a battle and a showdown of two Titanic wits, these two over the years. I have the feeling and something tells me Sid is not going to accept defeat, no matter how clearly Evince comes out the victor and all of their dealings. So that's what Sid has in his mind. And Sid's big thing about this run is that his expectations coming in were just like subverted from the beginning, Like nothing went the way he envisioned when he came to terms to come to WWF. And this is part of it, is that he apparently had a belief that he'd only be working TVs and pay per views until WrestleMania, and then after WrestleMania he'd be a made man and then he'd on how shows and you know, will have been set up such to draw on how shows in a way that is tantamount to like a whole Coganesque position. I guess it's kind of if you put on a piece together. What what his expectation was, and again that he'd come in as a babyface, because the Hogan spot is a baby face spot. Sid has said in interviews that Vince told him, We've never done this with anyone, and Sid's response says, well, how the fuck am I going to get paid for a year if you don't give me money, Like if your whole model here is earn that money.
Speaker 3: But but you're.
Speaker 6: Purposely not putting me on the road enough to earn anything, well, I mean anything substantial.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not doing anything. You're doing that to yourself. I'm offering you an opportunity, but.
Speaker 6: You're kind of not because you're not putting on the road to earn money night after.
Speaker 3: You Because I can't guarantee you anything, I can't guarantee you're going to get this, but I can guarantee you one thing. You will have an opportunity.
Speaker 6: See here, Sid at WWF, the real money is made by going out there night after night and performing up to the fans expectations and building your market value with the fans. You have a chance to do that night after night here towf and get paid in accordance with that effort. However, I am not going to put you on ninety percent of those shows. And Sid's like, where do I sign? But he comes back and says, where am I going to get paid? Like, you know, like literally, how is the money going to? Because a lot of this money is, you know, the draws on the road. You know, you know you've got a certain amount of money you can expect to make, and so you go to the actual show and draw cash out in your bank account and that's how you survive week to week. But you have to be in the building to get it from the agents and stuff you do right. And so what Sid says is Vince came back and said, We're going to take care of you. Don't worry about the fact that you're not going to be in all these house shows in and impacting the kind of money you expect to make. So that already is something that has Sid kind of sideways about the deal. But he really likes or really believes in this, buys into this way of presenting him and pushing him, and and I kind of, you know, I kind of believe it because the way they first start working him in it is only TV tapings. It's not like all of a sudden Sid starts showing up on a bunch of house shows that that no one's heard of to get his his his reps in.
Speaker 3: He really doesn't.
Speaker 6: They really just start using him on Superstars tapings, as we'll get to, so perhaps early glimpses of that really being Vince's plan, but ultimately at the end of it, you know, he's looking at a seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars potential haul from WCW and he said, I never made that kind of money in WWF. I made good money, but he didn't make that much. And he said he made one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for WrestleMania eight. So you know, Vince can say, look, you're gonna there's a chance you could make seventy five percent of your salary that ww's offering you in one night. That's how much of a big cash night WrestleMania is. And that's how much of it I share with the talent, especially the top of the card. So that's a huge payday you one hundred fifty grand. I'm I don't know if it's a three four year contract, four or five year contract at seven hundred and fifty grand total. However that shakes out every year. You could say, you know, wow, like but every year wrestler, he's not gonna be that kind of money for him. He doesn't. He doesn't get that, or I think by the time he does get that, it becomes how can I get the fuck out of this situation? Of course kind of kind of deal. And as as we heard Sid say at the conclusion of last week's episode in the final analysis, he thinks this WWF run that we cherish so much, that burned him into our memories forever, such that we remember magazine articles, we remember all the toys, you remember all the promos. A mistake, that's how Sid chalks it up. A mistake, that's right, because of what the WCW contract was that he left on the table to do this run that we all remember him so much for.
Speaker 3: Never forget that.
Speaker 6: A twenty eighth nineteen ninety one Superstars taping, sid Udy walks into a WWF arena for the first time, Boss May.
Speaker 3: I'm ninety one. Can we deal with this? I can't. I can't.
Speaker 6: He attacks me.
Speaker 3: He's supposed to just debut at SummerSlam.
Speaker 6: Phenomenal. The thing about this, So it's in Tucson, Arizona. They're taping television, and they don't tape this for television, but it is a TV taping. The Mounie is out there, and what he do is come out and like do an open challenge. They do this with all kinds of heels, not just the Mounie, and Sid came out for the first time. Imagine being at this show and fucking Sid from WW watch the curtain to answer the call.
Speaker 11: I'd be wild.
Speaker 6: So he gets in there, apparently and just clears the Mouni from the ring. According to well you know what's known of what happened on this show? As I said, well, it took place into television taping, it wasn't taped for television, it never aired. And then on the June eighth episode in nineteen ninety one of Primetime Wrestling, we start getting vignettes promoting Sid's debut.
Speaker 2: It's the last fan wrestling podcast.
Speaker 1: Give Me a Lapsed Fan Wrestling Podcast with Jack and and JP Soro.
Speaker 6: So he's in he's in the inner sanctum now and he's you know, learning the ways of WWF. And one of the first things he becomes acquainted with is the you know, Vince McMahon's inner circle, his cronies Patterson, all the way on down. And in an interview with the In Your Head podcast, Sid talks about one particular interaction with Vince's Lieutenant Pat Patterson that kind of gave him a feeling that he's going to be along for quite a ride here under the auspices of Titan Sports.
Speaker 8: Now, Jim Barnett, you never would have known Pat was a little more so you know where again, you know, I remember how was It was my first show with the w w F, and I was brought in just to see how the show runs, and somehow ended up in the call with Pat and Vince and uh JJ Dillon and Howard Finkel and Pat asked if how one that come out watch lightning with him and Vance I said, no, I don't want to come out and watch fucking lightning with you guys. He grabbed me in a waist lock at the counter. I actually shot and went around. He goes I guy said, bastard vance. I said, no, you don't. I shot and went around and grabbed him. And you know, hearing all the stories, I'd be liar if I didn't say. I was a little bit nervous.
Speaker 6: So Pat welcoming in to the table. Uh, yeah, there was a little over there.
Speaker 3: You keep your baseball bat in your pants.
Speaker 6: Now, what he doesn't understand is that when Pat said, do you want to come out and watch the lightning, there's a comma between out and end. Uh and no, Sid is not going to come out, Pat. But I guess they were going to like stand on the balcony of the hotel and watch a lightning storm, and Sid was not about that. Welcome to the WWF right, So these vignettes start showing his face. Have you do you remember these ever seen?
Speaker 3: Come in here? What's a boss? I just want to just, you know, we get to sit now. I want to kind of feel him out. He's a big motherfucker. He's a big motherfucker. You damn right. I'm just curious about him on a personal level. Want to try to fucking I thought that was your job, boss, I mean, didn't you know. I mean, I'll fucking financially. Don't worry about that. I want you to try to fornicate with him, have sexual relations with him, and see what happens.
Speaker 6: Oh, Boss, you know about about it, But I I don't think it's gonna end up too well for you. I'dea, it's a big he's a big bastard. I don't know if he if he's not up for it, A fearful well, it's just you don't have to do it.
Speaker 3: Just kind of, you know, feel him out of for it, you know, just I just want to know if, if you know where in what capacity justice will be served. Describe a waistlock in the hotel lobby. Will you pell see how he reacts to that? What I'm doing?
Speaker 6: It's not funny.
Speaker 3: Oh we're just playing around, big Sid. Is that being a good joke? You want to come watch the lightnings? Don't watch lightning? It scares me.
Speaker 6: She Sid declines the offer, goes into his hotel room, pulls the covers up to his chin, and just shudders with fear like a dog every time the lightning goes off, and then goes hats on the balcony with a high ball. Oh wow, that that's an impressive one right there. I mean, I, oh, well for you pretty amazing. But Vince has his glasses like he's he's working at the desk near the near the balcony.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with like a with one little desk lamp. Yeah, it's great lightnings and such stuff there. Nature at his best. He would say something, Dylan's sitting on the bad like like reading a reading Playboy or something. Yeah, yeah, Pat, you just enjoy that lightning storm, watched nature to ejaculate all over the fucking country whatever it was. If we need that more of that, more of nature's scene.
Speaker 6: Oh then you got what Oh but you got to come see it. This is it's funny about them. I got a cop.
Speaker 8: See.
Speaker 6: He's like, all right, oh godcha.
Speaker 3: I've seen I've seen all I need to see of nature and all of it's some stormic activity.
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 6: And they were in they're in Florida. And it became it became tough after nineteen ninety two because when he had you know what, he asked people if they want to go watch the lightning in Tampa. They thought they met the hockey team, you know. But so there he is said, trembling trembling at the thought, now do you remember these vignettes that first started introducing him to or how they went about it there.
Speaker 3: I wasn't watching yet. I had no clue when I when I when I started watching all I you know, I harded hearing about this guy and I was like, who the fuck is this Sid? Like, right, he doesn't have a has Bro you know, my my roster, and I, you know, it's true, the roster that I was familiar with were whoever was whoever had a halfbro figure makes a ton of sense at that point. The way they did it was they started shooting vignettes where everybody in the roster started talking about the Sid justice that was coming to the W And I didn't have any words from Sid. It just had a picture of Sid, well, like a video of Sid close up of him making maniacal faces or making you know, kind of normal faces, but set to music that was very It wasn't like psycho music, but it was kind of like looming, you know, foreboding kind of music, like, oh, what is this guy going to be about? And they had people from Piper to to across the talent roster just do these interviews about this guy that's coming in as if they all know about him before we've ever laid eyes on him as fans, and these things to start earring on primetime wrestling and on the syndicated shows, and it's a hell of a way to bring a guy in. I can't remember them doing it quite this way where they have a bunch of wrestlers talk about the arrival of a guy before he gets there, you know, and such. That's fascinating.
Speaker 6: And this is at a time when you know, certainly there'd be WCW fans that would recognize him. But this is not at a time where you came in, you know, to WWF and most of the fans knew who you were ahead of time. So they could really mold this clay in terms of how fans would perceive Sid coming in the door without a ton of context. And so here's a sample of how it starts to sound on primetime and we'll we'll dig into this a little more as we got any.
Speaker 14: Launch.
Speaker 15: Stay are shitty, got three and seventeen pounds, six foot nine.
Speaker 16: Justice can do anything he wants to.
Speaker 1: Sid Justice.
Speaker 3: He's just the man I've been looking for.
Speaker 17: With your size and intensity, you're a prime candidate for my chief tax collector.
Speaker 3: And you know what that means, you.
Speaker 17: Tax cheats out there wouldn't be able to cheat one more day, Bobby he In.
Speaker 2: The mystery continues to grow concerning this.
Speaker 17: New arrival here in the World Wrestling Federation.
Speaker 8: Sid Justice, Well, I know Jimmy Hart and Sessational Sherry and coach, and I know some of the people are are we really looking forward to signing this guy up?
Speaker 2: But well, perhaps he doesn't want a manager.
Speaker 11: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Perhaps he's on his own.
Speaker 11: Big as he is, he can be on his own, he can be alone.
Speaker 3: So there's all that booing, I sort of think that it was Skinner coming down. Yeah, that's probably got it from. Honestly, I watched a Prime Time where Skinner was on and all I heard was booing when they went back to the studio. But that's pretty fucking intriguing for the time. I want to know what this guy's about. After that.
Speaker 6: Of course, Roddy Piper at ir S there on those pre tapes, and Sean Mooney and Bobby Heenan inside the Primetime wrestling studio where they filmed it, filled it rather with Titan employees to cheer or jeer as appropriate. So that's how we started hearing about this Sid And you heard that music, man, that's that's some like scary music there.
Speaker 9: It is.
Speaker 3: It's definite thing that I would be I was expecting.
Speaker 6: So we go forward to July and as these things are airing on WWF Television WWF Tapes TV at the Saddle Dome in Calgary, and what this is is Sid's very first w w F. The aforementioned appearances were him running out when a heel issues a challenge in clearing the ring, not having a bona fide matchup, and do you know what's great about this match?
Speaker 9: Boss?
Speaker 6: They released it on the WWE unreleased DVD set Get Out of Here? Are you prepared to watch Sid's very first WWF match? No talk about and while I prepare, this your earliest memory of him in the ring, Like, what do you remember him doing in the ring?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to remember it now. I imagine that I saw him. I imagine that it's funny. So I imagine that I must have seen him on All American Wrestling at some point, because that's pretty much all I was watching during late ninety one was All American Wrestling. So I imagine he must have wrestled at some point on there, But honestly, the first real memory I have of him in the ring is that that I can concretely remember is that Saturday Night main event, he and Hogan. That's what I can definitely remember as being you know, I know I saw him wrestle there, but I'm wonder if you have such a gesus he was like top of his game by then. Yeah, yeah, and that's that's kind of that's kind of it, like that's where that's that's my my biggest memory of when he turns on Hogan and becomes the really crazy psychopath.
Speaker 6: So you really had no conception of Sid as a babyface. You really just learned of him very It.
Speaker 3: Was very little. Like I mean again, I was watching, and so I knew who he was, and I must have seen him wrestle against the Jobber. I must have, because I'm sure he was doing it fairly regularly, given that he was still so fresh, you know, but I I didn't really know. I certainly didn't know about any affiliation with Hogan or really this much about this uh, this Jake Roberts thing either, right, But you know, I knew he was a baby face. I knew he was a good guy, and I knew by February that he was a friend of hultkviin. So if he's a friend of Hull Covid, he's a friend of mine.
Speaker 6: Open that little link I just dropped in your email box there, and we're about to watch and it's available on YouTube, isolated from the aforementioned unreleased set that came out with It's like a three disc set with a bunch of matches that are just historical curiosities. Yeah, they had Sean Mooney and Charlie Caruso. I think do the stuff in studio, not between the matches. But here it is, and you're going to listen along. This is, of course not it's on television taping, but it's not tape for distribution, so there's no commentary right for the match, but you can hear the sights and sounds of the building and the ring and everything. Let me know when you're ready, and we're gonna watch it along with the Solar. I'm ready to go, So if you have it, follow my lead. I'm going to hover here over the play button and we're gonna play on my one three two one the following contests right one.
Speaker 5: Ball, left pointed to the ring license, nice and all.
Speaker 3: Sure by the sensations sixty pounds making old jacket, I guess he was as.
Speaker 18: The pairs.
Speaker 2: Million dollars of tad do be awfi you.
Speaker 6: Can hear my audio pops.
Speaker 3: Yes, where Mike McGirk.
Speaker 6: And his opponents for the first time.
Speaker 19: Weighing a three hundred and eighteen pounds. I'm hailing from any place.
Speaker 2: He wants to make Jess said.
Speaker 3: Justice all music. I can hit him tower above the people, and he's over the hid.
Speaker 7: Everybody in waw wrestling rating, they notice what man they're what they man?
Speaker 18: The man is aid Justice.
Speaker 6: So I was doing that whole short monologue to the cameo from the very beginner. Yet and he's got red trunks. Wow oo, I sure he doesn't let it ok, that's got rass on it. Put of the distractions. The dibios can kick it off for the fetal accident and learn also set So I invite to look at sid as a face.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 6: This is this is the most unvarnished.
Speaker 3: Like a few week I get to my parents for sEH. It's it's faster than they put him against Ted dibiosiste.
Speaker 6: Yeah that says a lot too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well established of course reverse the ropitep. That's hilariot. It's one of the abs.
Speaker 6: And Ted's pumping for him like you would a big time to anything yep. And sixteen the floor goes tap and so he's screaming like he's a big ten day before. It's funny because say Ted as a podcast and co host friend said died bid an episode of course, said, is a snapshot happen And they try trying to get Ted to talk about this match, and they kind of, you know, if it was simple like the Devins had trust and tend to figure out if sid was in the bookcause it's such a tripping out or the title. Yeah, and doesn't remember who fucking doesn't remember a day of this question.
Speaker 3: A minute of this match said, uh gets table to big a time of trap. Yes, it's over at the top of the floor. Then I take it together show the imagine being his uh you know, being his coach hos time on the show and like you know, you're pulled building your whole show around Ted talking about this.
Speaker 6: Match, no fucking number round and as it so fucking the totally run down. But I'm sure there is.
Speaker 3: Something to do.
Speaker 6: I'm sure Vince parried him in his first aunt to do the gunner and I do the asses. Yeah, sure, see I never conn a little at a million bucks. Yeah, if you can ever put ants up into asso and you're not gonna have the knife Ted picking them up and dragon and said to the floor. It's just wild this, he said, selling like this, like kicking the chops. It's almost like they want to see the full rings that that you.
Speaker 3: Can do it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, already, then pushing some tools wake.
Speaker 3: They also trust to one set of the post, so pushes any from the floor and he also takes it on the shower and the red truck trag flat tray. That tchabout that?
Speaker 6: I screaming, he says. The rod here are by a show can hide that drop? How about sid paar enough background and the drop to me, I love that.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's just thing I thought for the new arms, and we started doing as old as.
Speaker 6: The skyscraper days to put the crowd on the side.
Speaker 3: Very sid oh the.
Speaker 6: Loaded hers shows a purse, tell him.
Speaker 3: And that's why jesus you get up there. I havn't said did Clinton take fully black bunks try to show that he's he's a team play. Would him takes high bus for you can't take me be awesome?
Speaker 6: It probably is exquesting that if I want to be a baby face, you need to see what it looks like for yourself.
Speaker 3: Jesus fucking flu you doing a big times if I believe that you love Jesus girl.
Speaker 6: Power to kick out. I look at the traps on Sid.
Speaker 3: Look at it, look big traps there you strang?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 20: Yes?
Speaker 3: He did the fist drop Sid set up.
Speaker 6: I gotta talking about ah and this one he doesn't really he's dead. I used to love how said he used to sell just emotions.
Speaker 7: I am.
Speaker 3: I am not going to suggest winning sed.
Speaker 21: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I wasn't expecting. He just fucking fell light flat back and said, shown who can take a vertical sup.
Speaker 6: Life to kill.
Speaker 3: Though. I haven't really got to teach to call.
Speaker 6: And inter way war for her rights.
Speaker 3: I just want to kind of see what you can do.
Speaker 6: You're gonna kind of lose, and you're able.
Speaker 3: You're arsenal. You're allowed to portray him entertainment stand part and were being entertain right now, said Hits it takes a thin body snag from Tobasso falls off the middle right with that back of their attacks. It's stupid. This is a stupid way.
Speaker 6: It said, catches an inner right hand. Oh goes off that fucking face because big white hands come on the DBS and buckle Si with the stinger splash. Who ever saw that from him?
Speaker 3: That was like, you know, almost a Stiller splash, but he kind of shoulder first and lag deep stir in.
Speaker 6: The next to second attack on the right guns one times there gets said Basco man that a repining verdict takes off for the double acid on the back of the head. Those golden curls of said justice ship looks up the garnish with big ten reversal by Sid who we got here, we are, here, we go where we go power bomb and they know.
Speaker 3: He falls with it to the knee, stucks him up.
Speaker 6: It's over.
Speaker 3: Who as a sheet.
Speaker 6: All music.
Speaker 3: Either's people raising hulk hogn videos. That's kind of.
Speaker 6: Imagine going home from the saddle down that night and be like, yes, Sid was there and he fucking beat Dbasi with no problem.
Speaker 3: Unreal.
Speaker 6: I mean, maybe they came out with this because there was a period of time where I wasn't paying very close attention to WWDVD releases. Maybe they came out with this and I don't know, but where is the DVD with everyone's everyone who matters first match?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Man? They should do that.
Speaker 6: That'd be tremendous, at least their first televised match, their first first match taped, because I'm you know, not everybody starts on a TV taping like this, though I bet a lot more do than you would think that matter that who he would care to see their first WWF match on? But there should be a release. I mean seven discs. I don't care of everyone who's ever mattered the first match they've ever had on tape for WWF. Get to work, folks.
Speaker 3: Where is it?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Right, get it out? Put it on peacock Like, what the fuck are you waiting for? Put ads in there, programmatic ads each match. Let's make some money here and let's give the people. Let's finally realize the promise.
Speaker 3: Of the vault.
Speaker 6: Do you know what I'm saying exactly? This is a tantalizing glimpse, this unreleased matches thing of what they could do. But it's just like a grab bag of different matches that you know, you might be curious about that never saw air, and this is a great example of it.
Speaker 3: So I think that'd be an amazing DVD set to just have all, like a number of people's first WWE matches.
Speaker 6: And it'd be so much sweeter too, if it's like this one where there's no commentary and you just get to hear the crowd's organic reactions seeing this character for the first time. Amazing, amazing stuff. So so fortunate that this came out, you know, and that we weren't toasting Sid before we got a chance to see a match like this. Yeah, that's been one of the magic of TLFX.
Speaker 13: Man.
Speaker 6: As we've gone, it's become more and more sensible to look back on careers because more and more material has come out. It's just like, the access to stuff like this that we had to just imagine in our heads before is it's just amazing. So he continues on the loop that again was July eighth of nineteen ninety one. He turns around works July ninth, nineteen ninety one, a TV taping in Edmonton defeating the Warlord does Sid justice again? I believe in a match that never saw air. He then moves to the team it ain't so I know it's not fair, and look at this is in keeping with the promise he's not in any house shows. He jumps next to a TV taping in Worcester, mass on July twenty ninth, where he takes on Typhoon and defeats him. And then he jumps to a TV taping in Portland, Maine on July thirtieth, nineteen ninety one, to defeat Typhoon again.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: And he made his WWF television debut on the July twentieth episode of Superstars of Wrestling, and it just goes from there. Now, what we're about to watch is a series. It's it's like a it's a compilation that someone put together on YouTube, and I'll be sure to shout them out here, but I think it's a really nice compendium that kind of gets us up to speed on how sid was being presented in these early WWF days, including I mean we're talking July here, not much time until survivors, pardon me, until SummerSlam.
Speaker 3: SummerSlam.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you got to get him positioned as the special guest referee, and you know things are on the skids with Warrior and WWF, so I'm sure Vince is starting to have a wandering eye as far as you know. If if we don't have much time left with the Warrior because he's such a pain in the ass, how am I going to position the next baby face to get the hulk Hogan rub?
Speaker 3: How can I get Sid to be the next Hulk Hogan? Wait?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 3: Who's the next hull Hogan brother? What do you mean, dude? Who's the heck hul Hogan brother? Terry?
Speaker 6: I just felt obliged to call you. I just got off the phone with Sid from ww and he had one He had one wish. I said, you know, here's the magic wand and well, what do you want?
Speaker 22: Right?
Speaker 6: I want to see what he'd come up with? And I want to run a by your pal. He said he wants Hogan spot.
Speaker 3: What do you mean by that? Brother? I said, said, what do you want? And he said, I want huld Cogan spot? And I said, all right, you got it. How do you feel about that, Terry? What do you mean by how I feel? It's gone? Dallest thing back, dude, For a moment, It's kind of like whoa dude, and I kind of jumped ahead, Brother kind of came, you know, kind of jumped the gun and the whole thing. Dude, who are you talking about? Brother, I'm talking about Sid said so Justice the next hult Cogan, h U who you been talking to? Brother? I'm not gonna said, what do you mean? Said dude.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, dude. I'm in a little bit of a state of shock right now.
Speaker 3: I gotta say, dude, I'm taking a back Brother, and I'm kind of like, you know, kind of replay kind.
Speaker 6: Of I'm waiting for you to like laugh or like you know, just say you're you're you're ribbing me and you're not doing that.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of replaying the last like seven years in my mind, dude, at at a kind of drastic pace. I was kind of understanding, dude, dude, where does Sid kind of you know the equation? Brother, I'm not really kind of digging this kind of creative move, Dude.
Speaker 6: I've seen him. He's Jack Brother, looks like a million bucks dude, but you told him he could have my spot?
Speaker 3: Like what I mean, well, how do we know what you're going on? Hiatus? And uh, you know you gotta leave you know, steroids and all that ship. We gotta, we gotta let you go. I said, he can be. You can take the Hulk Hogan spot. What do you mean by that, brother, Well, I mean you go and the next day and you know, we introduce Hulk Hogan and said, Justice, what you're gonna be Hulk Cogan. Dude, well, he's not gonna be Terry Blea. He's gonna be We're gonna be.
Speaker 6: We thought for a second, okay, well I'm not as weird as I was, because at first, brother, I thought you meant you were gonna put yellow trunks on him and call him Hulk Hogan. I mean, that's my spot. I mean, hmm, it's sound like you're above doing it with sit and diesel. I mean with a razor and diesel. I'm gonna he's gonna he's gonna come down. So right now, he said, Justice, Right, I get it. So you know you're gonna go, You're gonna go take your hiatus after WrestleMania, and so right after that was You're gone. He's gonna be hul Cogan. He's gonna come down with the whole Camania shirt and red in the yellow and he's gonna come down, it's gonna rip it off. And so I say, you know what you're gonna do? Brother, I'm hul Cogan.
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna little m I don't know. Can you plan a you could you just kind of go step by step? Brother? What is it? How are you bookings? Need to understand? Like what am I kind of like? What am I am? I putting my my my gimmick on the line. Dude? Is that what I mean?
Speaker 6: I'm the red and yellow.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 6: You're saying he's gonna have yellow trunks. No, Terry, He's gonna have red trunks, red trunks.
Speaker 3: He's going to be brother of the the the the other whole Cogan.
Speaker 20: What what.
Speaker 3: What do you mean? What what what other Hull Cogan is gonna be the you know whole Cogan number two brother? Like Invader number two.
Speaker 6: You know Assassin number two. You know we always wrestling to.
Speaker 3: What do you what do you have there? And they get you know, number one number two, you get the Mass Superstar number one, you have Mass super Terry.
Speaker 6: Come on, come on, you know Tim Woods, right, mister wrestling too in Atlanta?
Speaker 3: What you know what Woods? Dude?
Speaker 6: What a tremendous.
Speaker 3: Mark.
Speaker 6: What I'm trying to say in our business, Terry, there's a rich heritage of number twos. We believe in number two, no matter where it lands, no matter who's facing. And I'll tell you, we believe in number two. And I'm a big fan of number two. So we're gonna we're gonna, you know, he's so so yes, he'll be hul Cogan number two, and then he's gonna become hul Covid number one after you're gone. Instead of mister wrestling too, we're gonna call him Hulk Hogan number two. Well, mister Hulk Hogan two, it's gonna be his name, mister, mister Hulk Hogan two. All right, fine, another shirt, mister, and.
Speaker 3: Then and then you come back. But eventually he's going to become mister Hulk Hogan one. And then you come back and you're mister mister Hulk Covid number two, and Rocks are gonna call you Hulk dookie. What's going on, dude, I'm kind of are you ribbing me?
Speaker 7: Brother?
Speaker 3: I'm in his I feel like I'm getting April? All right? Are we talking double ribs? Dude? Well, brother, I'll just what's next the ribs? Dude? Are we there? Are we there? Exactly?
Speaker 6: Are we at the point of double ribs? Are we at the point of meta ribs?
Speaker 3: Brother? What's next? Interested we can go out? There's a barbecue place where you can go do we can get double ribs? If that's what you're feeling, dude, I'm are you double ribbing me? Brother?
Speaker 6: What's next? Like Doukie house a m D Brother?
Speaker 3: I mean, what do you want me to fucking doctor? Dude? Is that what I'm doctor? Doctor? Doukie? Dude? Well, I mean, Terry's not a bad idea, brother, I've.
Speaker 6: Been here a long time.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 6: Made you a lot of money, brother, and you made me a lot of money to it. I'm forever appreciative, brother. But to have this bullshit of Hulk Hogan number two come in, brother, and you're gonna actually call him that? I mean this, this dude's big, but he's no Hulk Hogan, brother, and he's definitely no hul Hogan number two.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, Terry, I mean, how do we know he's on a hul COVID?
Speaker 23: What that was?
Speaker 3: Immediate?
Speaker 23: Terry?
Speaker 6: How do we know he's out a hull COVID. What let me get a sentence out first, pal, here's a box.
Speaker 3: I'm here, not done speaking, Terry, you just gotta wait till.
Speaker 6: What Look, here's some schematics. We've drown up here, sit on a box of wheaties.
Speaker 3: Look what we've done is we've done We've we've kind of done a a A A an image alteration and we've looked like we've seen what sid you know, mister Hulk Hogan too would look like on the cover of Sports Illustrated, the same one. Oh yeah, we're gonna put this out there. We're gonna, you know, after your take your hiatus because of your you know, you're misuse of steroids, We're gonna bring in problem and so I'll have a problem, dude. I'm I'm what do you mean a problem? I'm dude. I've used steroids, brother, but I'm not a steroid abuser dude.
Speaker 6: And we're gonna bring in someone in your stead that definitely doesn't use steroids and said.
Speaker 3: Well we know for a fact that terror that that that that Terry Too said, Terry Udy, what what you mean, Terry Youdy Doe, what's that mean?
Speaker 9: Brother?
Speaker 3: Terry Justice?
Speaker 6: What picture of the has Bro. Okay, the said Justice has Bro. But instead of Suggestice Terry Justice, Terrence Justice, we're talking Terrence Mania.
Speaker 3: What I love that. I mean, Terrence, where are we going? Dude? What's the game plan?
Speaker 6: He starts like just basically reverting to this like game plan, game plan, like that's that's that's his emergency button, like what he feels under siege, Like what's the plan? What's the game plan? Like, I need to see the game plan?
Speaker 24: Brother?
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, you know, Terry, you wanted to You wanted to go and and and make movies. Brother, you told me I couldn't. You said how to get off the fucking juice? Dude, Terry, you know you have your own problems with drugs. You're a drug addict. Jesus Christ, Vince.
Speaker 6: You you're breaking my heart.
Speaker 3: Brother. Brother, I'm a mean dude. We've we've done ship together. Brother. That's how I know, Well, that's how I know you're an addict because I know what I have done, and I know what I'm capable of, and I know that I'm it's impossible for me to be an addict. You you are a completely addicted you know drug.
Speaker 6: You can I can I not leave unremarked upon what we've just sketched out here. If I'm reading this ride the guy we just saw work Teddy b Assi in his first w F match, Sid Justice is going to go on to the point where Hulk exits stage right and he takes the center stage as the new Hulk Hogan, and his name is going to be Terrence Justice. He changes his name from Sid to Terrence when it's time to be the top guy, Terrence Justice.
Speaker 2: He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast.
Speaker 1: He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling Podcast with Jack and m JP Sorow.
Speaker 3: I mean, you could do Hulk Justice and that makes you feel better?
Speaker 7: Bro?
Speaker 3: What you know?
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 3: Can I talk to him? Brother? Can I talk to this Hulk Justice? Dude? Uh no, Terry, that's not really ethical?
Speaker 6: What uh vince?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 3: Sid is on the phone? Shit?
Speaker 25: Uh?
Speaker 6: All right, you know what, Just put him on there, put him on speaker. Brother, We're gonna figure this out right now.
Speaker 3: You put him on brother. Lets connect this fucking phone call. Dude. I want to know what's going on, brother. I mean, all right, you know what, if this is the way it's going to be, it's the way it's going to be all right? Can you can you patch in mister mister Hulkgan too, please please Emily, mister McMahon, and also take off your brother, Vince, Vince, I just want to let you know you're on speakerphone and Terry's here, Hulks here as well. Brother.
Speaker 9: What do you?
Speaker 3: Who's this? Dude? Who are you? Dude? You want my spot?
Speaker 8: Brother?
Speaker 3: I talk to my spot. I want to know, dude, where's my spot?
Speaker 12: Brother?
Speaker 3: Where did you put my spot? Dude? I had it right on me, brother, this whole time, and now you're saying I'm getting word that you're taking my spot, but you took it, dude? Where are you at? Brother? I don't have the authorization to talk to you?
Speaker 6: What what a response?
Speaker 9: I mean?
Speaker 6: You talk about something that's gonna leave Hope just at a loss for words.
Speaker 7: What do you what?
Speaker 3: Vince? What was he talking about? Dude? Uh?
Speaker 11: Done?
Speaker 3: Said uh uh? I authorize you to converse with them with Terry Beliam huld Cocain number one. Like, oh my god, he says.
Speaker 6: Sid, I authorize you to converse with dry book.
Speaker 18: Why is he being so formal?
Speaker 3: What is he reading?
Speaker 6: Like a contract out loud. Basically, what is he doing? Like, what does he think what extra protection does he think it affords him to say in that moment, Darren Hull Coga number one, please meet all Coga number two.
Speaker 3: No, Cogan number one, please meet Hull Coga number two. Converse. So I'm authorized. I want to get this straight. So I'm gonna tell you something, Hulk Hogan. I told Vince McMahon that I wanted your spot.
Speaker 9: What what.
Speaker 3: Spot are you talking about? Is gonna hit you in the head like a spot. I'm gonna hit you in the head like a spot. Brother. We're talking about like allgion? Dude? What do you mean by spot? Brother? Have I got lesion of doom?
Speaker 11: Brother?
Speaker 26: Allegion done? Shot the moon Dog's dude? Right oh now talking about brother?
Speaker 3: Told the moon dogs dude, what are you talking about? Brother?
Speaker 6: He's so exasperated, he's so he's so desperate for like clarity.
Speaker 3: Hull Cogan, I having my contract the whole Cogan spot. What Vince just looks down, he looks down at something on his desk. I am, yeah, I don't know about bust. I don't believe in contractual basis of uh employment. What I do believe is in his handshakes.
Speaker 6: I don't believe it is a contractual basis of employment.
Speaker 3: I believe in handshakes. And there is no evidence whatsoever that I have signed Sid to any contract that he is claiming. I have the papers in my hand. I have rod here a contract that says I am fulk holding. Did you talk to Marvel first? Brother? Wait a minute, what what is he talking about? Brother?
Speaker 11: What was he saying?
Speaker 3: Dude? I can't hear him, brother.
Speaker 6: I have gone on to the trouble of shaving my head up to the back of my hairline.
Speaker 3: I have a fu Manchu well, I mean sid Olk two. We didn't talk about that. We didn't talk about the facial features of them. Of mister Hogan one, hold on, hold on.
Speaker 6: So with his months before he comes in, Sid gets agreement across the table across the desk from Vince that he's got Hogan spot if he just signs, he signs and he has a report back date. Okay, because like, let's say there's something contractual at WCW where he has to wait it out. Four months later, they finally set the appointment to sit down and talk about his future. What shape it's going to take and sid youuty, picture him shows up at Titan Towers with his hair shaved, bald up the middle, and just a ring of hair around his head just like Hogan and a fou manchee mustache. Cidyuty, I thought it was gonna be all coke.
Speaker 3: Oh what's this power? I told you what I told you. I wanted the Hull COVID spot.
Speaker 6: Okay, get to work, photoshoppers, you know what to do. He shows up with a fu Manchu.
Speaker 3: Just imagined. Also imagine too. It's not like he's got Hulk Cogan's hair. He's got the curly hairs. All right, you got the curly hair.
Speaker 11: But in that.
Speaker 3: Well, this is not exactly what I had planned when I offered you or gave you the Hulkogen spot. Potentially if things turned out that way, and you know, everything worked out in your favor. But uh, this is certainly a development that we will take under consideration, and we will h Yeah. When Vince doesn't like the look, he says things like this is certainly a development that we will take under consideration. That's when you know you fucked up.
Speaker 8: He said, my church a case of Vina sausages. And I sent him an autograph picture.
Speaker 3: I want you to do me a favor right now, okay, I want you send I want you to send a garden a the Ana sausages to all cod sid I listen, pal, I do a. I think that's a very generous gesture. I don't think you understand how hull Cogan is going to take that. I don't dare. I want him to know that I have his spot and he has.
Speaker 6: By the way, what he's saying all this, he has his head shaved, almost bald, and he's a food man chew mustache.
Speaker 3: I can't let that not I see. And you think that is going to be accomplished with you with me sending hull Cogan a box of Vienna sausages. I do be sausages say a lot. I believe they do. I believe they do. Well, let's tell you what. Let's not waste another moment. Let's uh have you down in the studio and we'll take some photographs, some promotional photographs.
Speaker 11: Is with.
Speaker 3: Mister, what do you what do you uh? What do you want to call yourself? Hulk Justice? Ulk Justice? There it is.
Speaker 6: I look ten years on man, well, I love it when Vince feels like he's in the alpha position, and it makes people feel like nothing. I equally adore when Vince is actually worried that this guy might actually shoot this office up and he starts dealing with him with that that reticence in his voice. Oh my god, is that depth? Is that depth?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 3: When? When? When when vincick Man is not the craziest person in the room, you know that there is an issue. Yeah, let's tell you what, why don't you why don't you, uh you take a break for a moment and we'll be with you and we'll take some promotional photos with Hulk Justice. This is great, This is great stuff. Pal, Can we get him uh down in wardrobe or something? Great? Better? Say, what the fuck are we going to do with this guy?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: How do you?
Speaker 6: Already wanted some sausages and I wanted to listen.
Speaker 3: No, you can go to Vienna on your own time. What we have here is we have a problem. He wants to be Hult Justice Hulk Justice. How fucking stupid is that? I mean, what do we do with that? He's not even taking like maybe if he was Sid Hogan, that's something we could work with the old Cogan's brother, Hoult Justice makes no fucking sense. Who is this fucking guy?
Speaker 6: I don't know, but you hired him?
Speaker 3: I didn't. I didn't hire him. I don't even talk to this guy.
Speaker 9: Who is he?
Speaker 3: He just came into my office, heying, he's Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 6: What appoignant question for you to ask at this point of the show, Boss, who is this guy? Well, if you pull up in the video link that I just sent you, we're gonna get acquainted.
Speaker 3: Oh boy.
Speaker 6: This is a little more of the aforementioned vignettes of you know, Sid's coming and different wrestlers on the roster speaking to it, and then that transition into him being announced as the special Enforcer for the Summer Slam nineteen ninety one match. We're HULLL Cogan and the Ultimate Warrior team up against Sargent Slaughter, General Adnon and Colonel Mustafa and three on two Matchmaide in Hell. Right on the other side of the match Made in Heaven the Randy Savage Elizabeth wedding, which is the other I guess you could say, main event of that landmark show both for US and for the WWF at Madison Square Garden and so We're going to become acquainted with how Sid goes from this man of tremendous mystery and mystique on WWF television to the man who will insure justice in this heated clash between superheroes hul Coke and the Warrior versus the Saddam Hussein sympathizers at SummerSlam. So if you're cute, that is it I watched in the beginning. Yeah, we're taking this all the way through.
Speaker 3: Hold on, I gotta ad here and then.
Speaker 6: Absolutely so a lot of coloring in here to do on Sid's nineteen ninety one ww frun. It's all about this run.
Speaker 3: So here we go.
Speaker 6: Three yep, two one. He's so scary, he's got his teeth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, clenched.
Speaker 7: Take you from Winston and me, Sid Justice as the size and the strength to become a top dog.
Speaker 14: Right here in the World Wrestling Federation, British bulldog.
Speaker 12: You and that Mangie Mutt Winston, do you think that Sid Justice has all the qualifications of being the top.
Speaker 7: Dog in the World Wrestling Federation.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you this.
Speaker 7: I know what road he's taking and it's going to be a surprise to you.
Speaker 2: You know, mister Perfect that said Justice is a god.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's big, he's strong, and he looks straight.
Speaker 19: Kind of reminds me of myself.
Speaker 16: Yeah, hey, Mester Perfect, even though I hate doing a minute, you're halfway right, said Justice.
Speaker 18: That's a big, strong and tough man. But he's also hat saw Jim Duggett's kind of guy. Oh I don't think you said, Oh No, said Justice.
Speaker 7: He's big, he looks tough, he looks like he's done the kick it hold on of button.
Speaker 3: That's a matter of fact. He kind of reminds me of us.
Speaker 18: Rush said Justice. We've got one opening left the other hard organization.
Speaker 7: And you fight even by oh you gotta be Is that nasty as a what a?
Speaker 18: Oh?
Speaker 3: Hey folks, Oh, Hack sage and dugging.
Speaker 7: I've been checking out this, said Justice, just like everybody else.
Speaker 3: And there's two things I admire about him.
Speaker 7: He's a tough guy, he's an American, and just like Hack sage and Dugging, he stands for the good old USA.
Speaker 3: Behind that's right. Duggan, forking about.
Speaker 7: The USA stuff, said Justice is one of us.
Speaker 2: That he's right, he's big, he's that's right to food. He's big and he's made judging.
Speaker 6: Its menacing pos a size and power.
Speaker 7: I said, Justice, he could easily becoming on the one of us, but not your disaster, can.
Speaker 14: You that's a disasters version call him? Said Justice, a volcano? Got her all wrong, man, because any.
Speaker 3: Kind I used volcano in the natural disasters earthquakes, said here's a volcano, but real good, real brother, And what the fuck a referee? What the fuck is wearing?
Speaker 21: Doesn't get just hope he isn't buy a to fire because he could beat a perspectim what you got under.
Speaker 10: You don't need the likes of hor Rod Roddy Roddy Piper and I R S.
Speaker 1: Said Justice, six foot down, three.
Speaker 7: Hundred and seventeen pounds.
Speaker 3: I don't know the guy.
Speaker 19: I don't know if he is I don't know if he isn't, but I'm dying.
Speaker 3: That's see, Sid, Justice, You're.
Speaker 17: Just the man I've been looking for. With your size and intensity, you're a prime candidate for my cheap tax collector.
Speaker 7: And you know what that means, you tax cheats out there wouldn't be able.
Speaker 6: To cheat one more game, lover flab Now the arena promos for summer, said man, Man, is.
Speaker 3: That I don't chair.
Speaker 21: Prod you that got Toddy may best still guest referee makes don't get friends too off.
Speaker 12: Wait a minute, do I understand you to say it does not make any difference who the special guest.
Speaker 6: Referee at that one Slaughter.
Speaker 3: That's what he just said.
Speaker 12: Soever, Well, would you like to meet that special guest.
Speaker 21: Referee file me, I want to meet that special referee for supper slam the batch made of hem.
Speaker 12: Here is special guest referee for the handicapped tag suit.
Speaker 19: Justice.
Speaker 18: Wow, that turn of hod come you are turning up?
Speaker 3: Are you ready?
Speaker 18: Task?
Speaker 3: For him to say these shows that he didn't Wait a minute, these guys are.
Speaker 18: I guess we don't know shit. Justice stands in this whole day presenting arms to suit.
Speaker 8: Justice jump to the.
Speaker 6: Car ship, all right, welcome to the core. He thinks he's on his side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, se what sid has to say?
Speaker 27: Well, come just sagainst Slaughters for said justin.
Speaker 3: That the for your door, big pop, that's a that's a that's a signal, and I've never heard of one.
Speaker 6: I'm sure we'll get the sizes differ. Sure, this old w stubby traveling battery. He went to all three and said he's not parts of their cores. A nice short promo. He always thrived with those nothing complicated. Yeah yeah, let's yep. D On Hogan and Warrior.
Speaker 3: Here with Jim Most said, it's going to face off for the other half. There we go Blue.
Speaker 6: No, he is soaking up.
Speaker 3: Listening, going to be favoring something liquid pouring off his chin. Put that star power. Look at that?
Speaker 6: Don't they look amazing?
Speaker 3: Guys, Jesus Christ, what a tree.
Speaker 6: So Vince thought he was getting an international incident.
Speaker 11: R book by Justice.
Speaker 19: I recall recently.
Speaker 6: Hear before he shrunked Cottius Good.
Speaker 12: Flutter in company, and they tried to persuade.
Speaker 3: You the studio.
Speaker 6: By the way, in the YouTube account of Louke Gregory shout out to him for.
Speaker 12: This compilation of destruction general, it's entitled said Justice and Sorry Flutter tv W definition view. The conclusion of that interview, you emphatically line that you would have any association with Sage and Slaughters for of destruction.
Speaker 18: However, back to the hardcare, Yep, this may not be a handicap.
Speaker 3: He didn't even blocking gene like.
Speaker 6: Man, this little man's a big one for him.
Speaker 3: Yes, that might be more so, Man, do I might believe.
Speaker 6: Brother, Yeah, I'm not not.
Speaker 18: Savage al those at the same level he said justice.
Speaker 6: More your face, talking about.
Speaker 18: Intense everybody, give me a shirt of one.
Speaker 6: Spitting water flying off his head.
Speaker 7: I would be there for one reason that one't reason. Only just see said justice and sire.
Speaker 28: Will be served, but just time will justice be served?
Speaker 18: WHOA, I don't know little lou either.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what I'm looking at. So Little JP watching that would have been sufficiently Yes, I would have been I would have been nervous. I would have been nervous.
Speaker 6: About what side he was going to come down on.
Speaker 3: Yes, because he didn't say he was al Kamaniac, But he also didn't say he was Sergeant Slaughter's uh, you know private there and.
Speaker 6: If you watch it when he's a dressing hogan there in that moment, he's right up in his face.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but both I and Warrior, he's like, you know, getting right in their face.
Speaker 6: So that is the build to SummerSlam and how SID was framed. Of course, we know it went down August twenty sixth, nineteen ninety one, and it's the night where Vince Fire's Warrior the second he runs through the curtain for trying to invince his terms hold him up for more money at the last minute. It had been a tumultuous nineteen ninety one for Warrior and the ww front office. We know this because years later he would sue the company and all kinds of memos back and forth between the two became public record, and so that was kind of why we chose remember of Summer Slam ninety one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was a bunch of stuff that we could say about, like what the payouts were on the show and all the stuff that had come out from that lawsuit. That it was kind of a struck us as something we could, you know, say more about than just the results of the show before we realized the level of expectation and appetite out there for the deep dive research. So that's the Warrior side of the story, and it's an important side of the story because it's Warrior's departure that leads to a to hear SID put it kind of an acceleration of the plans to get SID on the road because with Warrior gone, all of a sudden, there's a smoke and hole in the house. Show circuit isn't there, Yeah, for sure. So for a guy who was brought in under the auspices of working only TVs and pay per views until he became the man. And at WrestleMania, we get on the road, all of a sudden, this blow up with Warrior happens and bulp, Pal, you know, plans change, you know.
Speaker 3: What, you know, we're just kind of in a unique situation and we need you know, we need things done away that will allow us to to further are the entertainment factor of our programming.
Speaker 6: Okay, whatever that means.
Speaker 3: What are you talking about? Well, I mean, sid, I don't mean to you know, you gotta you gotta go on the road, Pal, just no other way to to say it. You gotta go on the road.
Speaker 6: What Asia, that's Vinces, That's Vince's way.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: He's like he gets you on the hook and all of a sudden, unforeseen circumstances and he's going back on your original conception of how this is going to work. Yeah, and it's like he needs you know, he needs It's not all he needs a favor. It's almost like like you should know that that's how it works here, and if you don't, you're being unprofessional. Right, because we're the We're the premier organization for a reason, and that's one thing Sid is. He talks about it a lot, and his shoot interview is blown away by how full these buildings are relative to what he was used to in Jim Hurd's w c W, which makes all the sense in the world, let alone before he walks out at the Hoosier Dome, a packed stadium scale show the likes of which he'd never seen before, and so he's he's taken with WWF as an organization in terms of how professionalized they are. When he goes back to WCW after this run, one of the things that he does, which I think he starts to kind of piss people off, and we'll hear it in the Squeegee story coming up real soon. He's constantly singing the praises of how professionalized WWF is. He's seeing a different side of how to run a wrestling company than what he came up in in WCW, and there's a lot of things that he thinks really need to be imported and instilled in WCWWWF was doing. So it's not like he's entirely disillusioned by the situation. But Sid is definitely starting to feel like promisers are being gone back on after just about a month on television in the company because now Warrior is gone and we need to accelerate the Sid Justice as number two babyface and when Hogan departs number one babyface position. Take a look at this. This appeared in the pages of a Pro Wrestling Illustrated Boss and we'll explain it to the people for their benefit. But doesn't this say it all?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: We get it here? Whoa Sid Justice? There?
Speaker 6: It is the second coming of Hult Cogan double truck feature in p W I.
Speaker 3: What's going on here?
Speaker 6: And that is deeply concerning.
Speaker 3: I'm looking, I'm looking at fucking uh after dude, then the second old Hogan. Wait in the second hold? What I mean?
Speaker 6: That is the headline?
Speaker 3: That is the headline.
Speaker 6: In classic p WI fashion, they're showing pictures from w CW YEP because they always went out of their way to remind you that, like they were following wrestlers before Vince made them national stars and changed their nights right, like they would call mister perfect card heading even after he came to WWF every single time on every reference in the magazine, and so yeah, this is like happening a lot sooner, I think than they had drawn up in terms of when he's first sitting down with Sid. Vince McMahon, I don't think he's planning on Warrior being gone by the end of the summer and all the ramifications that has for the card. So here's Sid in a shoot interview talking with Sean Mooney actually about what happens at the end of Summer Slam. What happens, boss is after Hogan and Warrior vanquish Sergeant's Laughter and company. We know, Warrior disappears chasing Adnon with a steel chair through the curtain. We never see him again at least yes run and he's hardly ever mentioned. But in the ring afterwards, after helping, you know, instill truth justice in the American way, what a Sid and Hulk do They pose down in the middle of the ring together, and that's supposed to be really substantial. That's supposed to apparently get us to think of Sid as somebody that is tantamount to Hulk Cogan. And here he is talking to Sean Mooney about his conception of what happened that night in MSG.
Speaker 8: He said this is what we're going to do with you. We're going to just You're just going to do TVs and pay per views for one year, no house shows, and after WrestleMania you going to start your first house show. He said, We've never done this with anyone. So I'm thinking, well, how on the fuck am I going to get paid for one year? If you don't give me money, He said, well, we're going to take care of you. I said, oh shit, you know, so that was, you know, a big chance I took.
Speaker 11: But what happened.
Speaker 8: What happened was the Ultimate Warriors started demanding more money and then they fired him at SummerSlam, and it was set up right since he walked to the curtains they fired him, and then this is their idea of this was their version of Hogan passing the torch. He did the pose down with me, which is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard of my fucking life. That that was the big goddamn deal. And if you think that's a big deal, you're as stupid as the rest of them. So anyway, that's how it happened. So I was pierced from that moment on and I didn't want to be there anymore.
Speaker 1: He's a last fan wrestling podcast. He's fan wrestling podcast with Jack and.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's what they doing. Warrior comes out of Wrestling eighty too. He poses down with Hogan at the end of the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's the thing that that shows you're you're an ally of hul Cogan. That events really means something. He thinks that people are going to see you as a main inventor after you pose of course that's the rub. But the way Sid does it, he's so awkward that it almost is like a comedy idiot. Oh, it's almost like a comedy routine. At the end of Summer Slam, it's almost like Hogan has a whole back laughter while Sid makes a mockery this pose down and his refererational thinking. Dude, here's your don't thinking, brother, what if dude? What if?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 3: I think we're gonna do this pose down? I'm not a fit of that. I'm not obligated to pose down, brother, Dude. Listen, Sady's some dude. I dig that. Brother. I'm all about, you know. If I don't do creative, dude, I'm all about, you know, taking things that next level. Brother. I get it, dude, and I want to take Sid Justice's that level. So what I'm thinking, dude is, you know what if brother, we kind of portrayed this kind of maybe a mentor mentee kind of thing. Dude, what do you mean, well, I want to give you the rub. Brother, you know, if you're gonna be the next hult Cogan, I want to give you the rub. M What does that look like? What does the rub look like to you?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 3: Do what I'm thinking to what if we come down? What if I have you come down dude? After the match made in hell? Brother, and you when I do a pose down kind of like showing hey, you know what we got here we go, we got we got hull Cogan, we got the new hul Cogan. You know, brother, see the album? Thinking that dude. Mm hmm, I see where you're going. I understand that that is not beyond my intelligence. Dude, I'm I dig that, brother. So but but but kind of like we want to kind of talk long game, right, you know, we're not talking about hey, you know, you know just the payoffs, dude. Is not like at the very beginning, we gotta have the payoff be as we go down the line. So what I'm thinking about, dude, is what if you know, like you know, I'm in there alone, I'm posing down brother, and I'm like, you know what, we need to have Sid just in this ring right now, Dude. We need Sid here right now, brother. And so I kind of call you in. I say, Sid, come on, dude, let's go brother, come on down, And I think what you should do because again I think, like, you know, we're talking to having this kind of mentor mentee relationship. Dude, you kind of just peek your head out brother, and I'm like, wait a minute.
Speaker 6: What what do you Oh, that's right, he peeks his head to the curtain. I forget about that, which makes it all comedy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like kind of like peek out there, dude, and like, say, did I hear my name? Cause I think that people will kind of yeah, Sid, Sid, Dude, come on out with Hull Coagan. You know you guys are best friends now, brother, and so you come out, dude, and then we start posing. But you know what, I think, kind of differentiate dude and kind of show that that that you need just a little bit more to kind of get to that next level. Working with Hul Cogan is that you don't pose perfect dude, right what if you kind of look like, you know, like you're a little off, a.
Speaker 6: Little awkward about it, dude, like you're getting your sea legs from under you like your abyss and TNA taking my ring?
Speaker 3: Are you calling me awkward? No, dude, Brother, do not. I'm not calling you awkward. Dude. What I'm saying is, dude, why don't you maybe you can act awkward? Because I get it, Dude, You're like, you're a pro and you gotta you got a physique, dude that goes fucking miles. Brother, you know we're talking. You know, dude, you got the look, dude. But what I'm saying is, why don't you act like you know what you know? Or even better? Brother, play with this dude. What if you're like, you know what this Hule Cogan guy, I'm gonna say, Brother, you know I'm with him in the ring. Dude, he's kind of getting old right now, dude, you know where you know he's like, you know, I don't want to take away his thunder. You know, like you're you're doing me a favor brother by not out showing me. See do you see I'm getting there, dude. So like I'm trying to just pose down with the fans, and you're like, you know what, I can outpose Hulk Hogan any day of the week and twice on Sunday, but I'm not gonna do that here because I want Hulk Hogan. You know, I don't want to embarrass him, brother, and show him what a you know, what a weak dute is, because you don't even know how to fucking pose. You know what I'm saying, brother, Brother, I want you to go to the top, dude. But if you if if the fans get the message that you're trying to show me up, brother, they're never gonna support you, dude. And I just you need to be a babyface. Brother. We gotta kind of push that angle as far as we can. So you want to help me. Just all want to do, dude, all want to do is help you. And I think that if you kind of come out there and and just kind of like say, hey, you know what, this this guy, you know, Grandpa Hogan out here, brother, you know, he's just you know, I don't want to make him look bad. So I'm just gonna kind of do things my way. A little bit. I think that's gonna go a long way with the fans, dude, and showing that, you know what, respect whole Camania, Dude, Sid respects Hull Camania and maybe brother, maybe down the line, we're talking sid Mania. Whoa you know dude, sid Mania? Yeah, dude, sid Mania like on T shirts. Dude, brother, you know what dude?
Speaker 11: You know what.
Speaker 3: The future, dude is is unwritten? Brother, who knows? Dude? Right? Do you want me to go out there and look like a fool so that I can have sid Mania down the line. That's what I'm saying. Dude, you kind of look like a little, you know, a little less than here and then sid Many is in your future, Dude. I feel obligated to do that.
Speaker 6: Brother, say less, dude. And so they go to the ring and it shall be done, and comically, Sid pokes his head through the curtain, takes center stage with the Hulkster, poses like a moron, and somehow that makes him the next top babyface. Of course, Sid sees it for what it is, especially in retrospect, as you just heard in that clip, but they're laying it on thick even after SummerSlam. This clip is from an episode of Superstars, where Vince McMahon himself spares no hyperbole and framing Sid as the guy you're supposed to care about.
Speaker 28: Now listen to this, ah the I have never seen Sid Justice wrestle before.
Speaker 3: Do you know that I've never had the pleasure to be in.
Speaker 2: The same arena?
Speaker 3: What Vince, it's got the music now?
Speaker 2: Yes, even did sucker?
Speaker 3: Where did you see it? Looking?
Speaker 2: Is that's something about a power bomb?
Speaker 4: We're gonna ask into the ring air set up for next.
Speaker 3: Job or Vince calls out the ovations.
Speaker 28: Talk about an overnight success, all about how overnight it is.
Speaker 2: This man's gonna be caring about her. Go if the march O man he was unable to return to urging.
Speaker 21: As we have been notified he is.
Speaker 17: This is the man.
Speaker 2: Hopefully we will see that justice will be served as it relates to Jack.
Speaker 3: Just think Roberts and the younger two can.
Speaker 9: Right about this?
Speaker 3: Check?
Speaker 19: Is this the power bulls?
Speaker 3: A power.
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 3: You didn't fall with it?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 3: Really, you're gonna count it to ten?
Speaker 18: Everybody fell, all they lives.
Speaker 3: I'm only going to get to.
Speaker 6: A version like emphasizing the ovation. Yeah, trust that he's part.
Speaker 28: I got you play look at this here, hurry and my dog and Wanda had clean up.
Speaker 3: Talking about two hundred I thoty.
Speaker 19: Five has the power pot.
Speaker 16: Turn us?
Speaker 3: So rust us what carri us I mean.
Speaker 6: Saying like that if Macha Van isn't here, he's the man. He's clearing the banner here.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 6: Because the thing, presumably they moved up quite a bit too, was Sid getting involved in the the wedding stuff afterwards, realizing that you know, Warrior wasn't going to be there, they had to transition. Said, I mean maybe he would have got involved in the wedding angle either way, even if Warrior didn't disappear. Yeah, and the Jake program wouldn't have happened. But the way they're talking about him now, it's like he's he's a filling for Savage and uh and it's all upside from here for one Sid and he's coming to the ultimate rescue. So Sid and Jake start working each other, and the house shows. The house shows that you know, Vince said Sid wouldn't work in his first year in the company. Yes, And on an episode of the DDP Snake Pit podcast that Jake Roberts has done, he once talked about in an anonymized way an opponent he faced that I think just just absolutely has to be Sid. There's no ways talking about anybody else. And this gives us a little glimpse into how Sid ran into his first sort of a political frick in the World Wrestling Federation visa VI the Snake Man. If you can read this quote here from the podcast that Jake did about.
Speaker 3: It, mmmm, this is unintentionally. I I had an incident where a guy was giving me a clothesline every night and it was freaking ripping my head off.
Speaker 6: He saw those clothes lines there against tibias, they do fly loose, yep.
Speaker 3: And I was recovering from having next surgery. And in wrestling, you can make it look like you tore the guy's head off, or you can tear the guy's head off, and of course making it look like it is much better because then the guy can sell it properly. When you tear somebody's head off, there's no selling it. Man, You get what you got. And I went to the guy and called him out. You know, hey, dude, you're killing me.
Speaker 18: What the hell?
Speaker 3: And he looked at me and said, well, maybe it's time you get out of the ring. That's a sad thing to say.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, that's he always put his foot in his mouth that way, or if anybody challenged him or critiqued him or came at him, he'd always had this snippy response that like created all kinds of problems for him.
Speaker 3: Maybe you're a fucking idiot, right, Like, I mean.
Speaker 6: Why did this the Arnt Anderson stabbing thing happens because he shot off of the mouth about Flair being too old. I mean, he shouldn't be in.
Speaker 3: There, you know. So the next time we wrestled, he closed on me, and I did a little maneuver and snapped his bicep in half with intent, and he went down. He was grabbing his arm. The bicep rolled up on his shoulder. Oh my god.
Speaker 6: So I don't believe Jake for a second that he did it on purpose. I'm not sure how you tear someone's bicep on purpose, but I know, and how.
Speaker 3: It seems like it was this little simple, That it's this simple to tear a bicep. That's pretty horror full.
Speaker 6: I think the UFC guys would use it all the time if there were such a thing as the bicep to yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly, like you could just fucking you know. But and he went down and he was grabbing his arm. The bicep rolled up on his shoulder. It looked pretty awesome. And he's screaming to ring the bell. And I jumped on top of him and grabbed the bicep and just started squeezing. And I was pissed, and I told him maybe it was time for him to get out of the damn Ringow not proud of it. It seems like you're proud of it. Actually, like you're pretty damn proud of it. I do need to apologize to him, face him. I'm not going to call his name out. We all know him. But he did what he did, and I did what I did. And he had six months off?
Speaker 6: Wow, he sure did. In a shooting interview talking about.
Speaker 3: That's how is that possible? How's what possible? How did he have six months?
Speaker 6: Jake is not going to take the time to calculate exactly how many months it was, Like no one ever had.
Speaker 3: You know, if summersion happened in August, he doesn't matter. He's back in the ring in in January, and I I'd have to think that Jake cost himself some Survivor series money. I mean, I know he still was on the card, but you can tell just from that magazine article that Sid versus Jake I think would have been seen in a more premium spot on the on the show, well, it was going to be the main event still, I think it was going to be. It was going to be Sid and his team versus Jake and his team as the main event. I mean, that match was the main event anyway, without Hogan and Taker. Hogan Taker was not on the main event of the show. It was middle It was middle of the show. God, God, it was the main event of boss Man and boss Man, a llegiing to Doom versus natural disasters and.
Speaker 6: Facking hell Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: That was That was it. He was supposed to be. That was supposed to sit the main event is fucking first in ring pay per view.
Speaker 6: That's so wild, yep. Sid saying in a shoot interview after that or no before that, actually, but about the same circumstance. I've never stooged done anybody. I can't stooge anybody. I can't kiss anybody's ass. I can be your friend, but I can never kiss your ass. That's what I've told everybody in the business. And Jake was the first one that fucking got me in some trouble up there. I don't know if you know what I said or done. Vince called and got on to me, but you can't utter a fucking word out there, and then it gets magnified words like i'd imagine, boss, maybe you should get out.
Speaker 3: Of the ring. Yeah, to Jake Roberts, Yeah, probably not a good idea, Pal, So that was weird.
Speaker 6: I didn't really like that part of it, Sid, Sid. So now he's shelved to heal the bicip injury. He's still on the road because you know, bicep terror isn't like disqualifying as far as flying in things. But he's not working in the ring. But he's still making towns. And as luck would have it, or as perhaps the opposite of luck would have it, in Greensboro, North Carolina, the WWF and WCW crews crossed paths which would happen sometimes on the road, and the boys would interact. It wasn't like, you know, there was a fucking you know, some kind of moratorium or some kind of rule where you couldn't you know, meet with the WCW guys in a bar somewhere. There's a famous picture from the Attitude era where the warring companies were in across each other, and you got like Hogan and Hollywood clothes and Steve Austin in the same picture and Big show before he came over to WWF in the picture, and you know this happens.
Speaker 3: But Sid is. Sid's head is big.
Speaker 6: Sid is seeing big crowds, he's seeing high end production. He's rubbing shoulders with Hulk Hogan, the biggest star in the industry, and he's not going to be able to keep his thoughts to himself about how Bush League the company he left behind, which years later he would call an unmitigated mistake, though certainly in nineteen ninety one he's not feeling that way. And when he sees WCW wrestlers, he's going to talk about it. And this boss is where we get the squeegee incident. Oh boy, what do you know about the squeegee incident?
Speaker 3: Not much? Not much.
Speaker 6: So we're gonna start with Liam wore it, no of it? Right, yeah, okay, So what what's your general conception of it?
Speaker 3: Don't I just know that there was a squeegee incident, okay, at one point, like I've learned about it before, but I don't really remember what it was.
Speaker 6: You just know that at some point Sid is wielding a squeegee. Yes, And that's the thing with Sid. It's not so much what he does. It's that he ends up doing goofy things like playing softball and trying to tack him over with a squeegee, being an idiot, and you know, and like being a farmer, and the size. Like these things aren't goofy in an of themselves, but when when you put them in Sid's hand or in Sid's circumstance or environment, they become hilarious. I'm sorry, yes they do.
Speaker 3: It becomes complete fodder.
Speaker 6: Like that story that Stan Hansen told that we talked about in part one where he sends Sid to the ring because Sid suddenly gets a paranoid that they're going to get counted out of a best two or three falls match and Sid lunges over the top rope like a total klutz, or the story Shane Douglas tells in Continental where Sid go as Lord Timungus goes timbered thinking Sika's behind him, and he's not like that because it's Sid. It's like, at least four times funny.
Speaker 3: It's so goofy, it's so goofy.
Speaker 6: Just add that physical awkwardness to it. I mean, look, he made the Hogan post down look like a comedy routine, yep, and I don't think he intended to do that.
Speaker 3: So he's just a goofball.
Speaker 6: So we're going to get to one, you know, a story that just can't you can't hear about Sid and never forget it. And as people try to, you know, lean into the positive sentiments about this guy upon his passing, which is natural and is a classy thing to do. You just someone's gonna say squeege eventually, just like they're gonna mention the stabbing, and just like they're gonna mention softball, you're going to mention it. And we're definitely gonna mention it right here, because this is when it happens with the WWF, even though it happened against WCW personnel, namely Brian Pillman and Mike Graham. Mike Graham, of course, the son of the legendary Florida promoter Eddie Graham, and wrestler and someone who is working in the ww front office then and for years and had a reputation of being quite a hot head and despite being relatively undersized, not backing down from the opportunity to engage in fisticuffs. Brian Pillman, by the way, had very much the same reputation as that smaller football player who just you know, overcame that by being just a complete madman, vicious, tough guy. So we turned to LIAMO. Rourke's book about a Brian Pillman called Crazy Like a Fox. It's a wonderful compendium of Brian's career, and of course, naturally he gets to this point because Brian Pillman figures very prominently in the Squeegee story. So we're gonna let him set the table rights. The crew had done a show in Greensboro on October thirteenth and were set to fly out to Alabama on the fifteenth. Of The Atlanta given the guys a night at the Ramata End close to the airport. With many of the guys drinking at the bar, the recently departed Sid Viscius dropped in to say hello, little boy. After a few beers, which, by the way, Sid always talked about not drinking much, and that's supported by people talk that seemed to talk about him and observed him on the road. He was very he was health conscious.
Speaker 3: He was a freak.
Speaker 6: Like we've talked about. He'd be up at four thirty in the morning, even when on the road. He'd be on the few guys that would insist on getting two workouts in a day while traveling as a wrestler. He would only intend to eat just like protein and just unmitigated healthy portions and type, not portions, but types of food.
Speaker 3: He wasn't He.
Speaker 6: Didn't engage in anything so smoking weed and when he drank it was rare, but it seems like when he drank you ended up with stories like this, okay, and even he would be one of the first ones to admit that. So after a few beers or work right, Sid couldn't help himself. He was more than happy to talk down to the wrestlers in the company he'd left behind for the WWF about how much greener the grass was on the other side. You can just picture him, can't. Yeah, who guys, look, I mean, you guys think you're a big deal. I'm sorry, I mean, you got it. The way they're doing things up there. You guys are basically like in the minor leagues. And I hate to say it. You know, he'll say these little things to make you feel like he's not insulting you while insulting you For ten minutes, all he's doing is insulting.
Speaker 3: That's Sid. Yeah.
Speaker 6: While the WWF was having its own problems at the time, o'rourick writes, nobody could really argue that nineteen ninety one had been a disaster thus far for Turner's ensemble. One person who took exception was Mike Graham, who suggested that Sid should shut his mouth instead of heating the request. Sid kept up his obnoxious tirade and responded that he'd drawn more money in the last week than Graham did his entire career, which is true, by the way. Well, with Graham being close to Brian and with things getting heated, Pillman found himself involved. Brian's here perked when Sid began his rantings, and he couldn't resist joining in once Vicious mentioned drawing money. Given his less than stellar track record, Sid was all too eager to extend his attention to Brian, saying that the reason the WWF is where it is and WCW is where it is is because they have the correct, more belie avable approach of keeping the big guys away from doing programs with the little guys. As Sid always would let those thoughts fly about smaller wrestlers, the flashbacks to their previous issues and Ixnate program. He'll not forget. Sid, as we found out later, purposely dropped Pilman on his head in the War Games. That's right, so that's behind them at this point, not by much, by several months only, and combined with the fact that he had to listen to the same mentality for as long as he could remember, he'd heard about enough Pillman, that is, Sid then delivered a line that Pilman would never make it in wrestling because not only was he a pretty boy, but he didn't know how to work, which was tantamount to Adolf Hitler preaching a quality to Martin Luther King Junior. Pilman aggressively rose out of his seat with fire in his eyes, ready to fight. Pilman had no intention of backing down or letting the comment slide. Just as it seemed the tour to come to blows, it was Sid who declined, pulling up his shirt, travilla band aid on his forearm, covering a scar from a recent surgery for a torn bicep. Sid cited it as his reason for not fighting. As Sid left the bar, the guy's cool down somewhat. The tense situation seemingly diffused. People had just about got their hands back in their beers when Sid re entered, menacingly holding a squeegee. You know what I think about, boss, Yeah, don't tell mom. The babysitters dead, Suellen Crandall's getting the job at the hot dog stand. And that creepy boss goes, oh, really fun squeegee, Oh my god, And that's what he's got his hand. Yeah, or's their work put to the plastic windshield cleaning device in his hand as if it were a deadly weapon, challenging both Pilman and Graham to bring it on without much effort. Graham took the squeege away from Sid as the other wrestlers held Pilman back. Vicious then left the bar for good. Pilman and Graham, despite staying away from Sid's weapon of mass destruction, managed to come out of the entire incident's squeaky clean. Indeed, Pilman left the encounter as a locker room hero for backing down Sid, and the comedy value would be parodied for years. Sid and the Squeegee Jesus, here's my Graham. I'm a shoot interview with our video, telling the story in much more colorful terms and perhaps taking some poetic license as well. He's definitely one that would exaggerate or in cert certain things to disrupt narratives, you know. He he's the kind of guy that would say he had the wcw MGM Disney deal on the on the rails before Eric Bischoff stole the idea. He's from the Yeah, he's from the Greg Ganya school, Okay, of anything that's ever worked in wrestling. I had the idea first, So keep that in mind. But he does tell the story in a very compelling way. And as much as Pilman is involved in the Squeegye story, because it you know, came to the word exchange that we just heard, it really is a fight between Sid and Mike Graham in a lot of ways, and let's let's let's just turn it over to Mike Graham because it's it's just fucking amazing.
Speaker 19: Came back from my own Montgomery, Alabama or something. We just finished TV. Terry Allen and God bless Brian.
Speaker 29: Pillman was there and I was there, and they had had a couple of drinks and it was kind of nodding off a little bit, and Sid had just left w and gone to WWF. So he's sitting over at the bar. And went and seen him for I been gone for a couple of months, and I just say, he said, how are you? And he went back, sat down, and Sid gets up, walks over, sits down and commenced to telling us what a chicken shit company WCW is and everybody that works there stupid, and ww.
Speaker 19: The place to be and just then and then, well, we all still worked for WCW. We had pride in what we were doing.
Speaker 29: I didn't want somebody telling me that we were doll masses, or that the company sacked or anything else. So I just said, Sid, why don't you go back over and tell the girl that story at the bar.
Speaker 19: She'll believe it. I'm not going to he said, you might. Gran. You're a loser. I've made more money in the last two months than you'll make here all year. You spent your life I've done this, I've done that. I leafed across the table at him, stood up.
Speaker 29: I said, sid, you said, might be true, But I said, this loser that hasn't made as much money as he was just about to kick your ass. And he gets up out of the chair and he stitches his interview chin out. He could do a hell of an interview.
Speaker 19: I wasn't buying it.
Speaker 29: He wasn't cutting an interview on a wrestling fan. I wasn't wrestling fan. And I said, I went around the table. He dropped his arm and he said, well, if you want to beat up a guy with one arm, go ahead.
Speaker 19: He said one arm.
Speaker 29: He said, shit, looks like you got two arms to me, and they're three times the size of mine. You have it, and he pulls his shirt sleeve up. He had a little band aid, a little band aid on. I ripped my bicep today.
Speaker 19: Oh, I said, get out of here, just go home. No, don't come in here and insult this and then act like Fred.
Speaker 3: Just go home.
Speaker 19: I helped him put his wind breaker on.
Speaker 11: It was going to go.
Speaker 19: I helped him put his wind breaker on. Everything. See walks out the door. So I'm standing on my back to the door.
Speaker 29: I'm trying to get Brian up and Terry to get him to the room and all that kind of stuff from behind me.
Speaker 19: Here, all right, Graham, I'm ready for you.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 19: It's gonna be an even fight. Now, I'm ready for you.
Speaker 29: I thought he was kidding. I turned around to look. He's got a squeegee like you clean your wonder with a squegee in his hand. I looked at him and went, are you serious? He goes, yeah, he's in the breakdown, like he's in a position where he's gonna move or fight or something.
Speaker 19: I walked over to him.
Speaker 29: I snatched a squeege out of his hand and I thumped him on the chest with it. I said, sid, get out of here before I stick this up your ass. And I handed it back to him and he took it and put.
Speaker 19: His arms down. He walked around.
Speaker 29: I thought, Jesus, here's six eight three hundred pounds. If he comes in with a tire, iron or something in my back's turned, he could do some damage. I better pay attention this next time. So I walked out into the lobby to see what he was going to if he was going to come back with something or what he was doing, and he had moved his car up to the front of the hotel, so he got I guess and beat me up with a squege you.
Speaker 19: Make the big escape. When he saw me standing in the lobby, starts going, I'm on the cake your ass me and you ain't no good.
Speaker 29: I mean, like a uh temper tantrum that a junior high school cheerleader would throw or something.
Speaker 19: So he gets on his scar and he drives off.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it's a shit stirr and a pain in the ass.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, can we not to me? You know, can we not pretend to not know that it makes total sense to me?
Speaker 6: What stands out to you about that story there from Mike Grant, if anything, What stands out to you about that narrative there from Mike Graham?
Speaker 3: Uh, honestly, it's the it's the torn bicep. And then all of a sudden, you know, he's like he needs to prove himself. You know, He's like, he's like, I can't find I got a torn bop. All right, you're a bit wait a.
Speaker 7: Minute, spam, you get back here right now.
Speaker 6: So he says, Graham, I mean it kind of I never thought of it this way until I heard it. But it's like the reason he grabs a squeegee is because he's got a bad arm, and to him, one good arm with a squegee, and it is more, you know, tantamount to two working arms. I suppose. Well, when he tells the story said that is it's a little more anodyne than that, a little more kind of like, you know, weak than that. I mean to hear Sid tell it is we're about to hear from the shoot interview he did with Hannibal, everyone at the bars trying to talk him into coming back to WCW. And that's when he started talking about how superior the WWF experience was. And here's Sid giving us a little flavor of what happened from.
Speaker 11: There in WCW.
Speaker 24: Ryan, But there's a lot of stories out there about the squeegee thing with you, and Brian told me was that during your first or second run.
Speaker 11: As Actually, well, I was on the WWF.
Speaker 24: What it was, I tore my boss up that night in Orlando, Florida, and I had left my car that the hoe Jones and everybody's say that I'm sitting there talking to him, and actually that night magdalum Ta, and they were trying to taught me into coming back to w c W, and I was just telling him how great things were. Brian Pillmer started running his mouth and I said, hey, fucking and I had a torn bicep.
Speaker 11: You know, no, I couldn't. I couldn't have fought if I wanted to. And so I just remember getting out.
Speaker 24: My car was dead, the guy was giving me a boost, and Pilm was out there, and it just so happened he was in the four boarders of the pass receipt and I grabbed and said, hey, motherfucker, you give me a whacky in the fucking head of this.
Speaker 11: Of course he didn't, you know what I mean. So so it's a kind of an exaggerated yes.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 24: The thing is this, if if Broon Pilman never had any things, you know, if he really wanted to be a tough guy when I beat him up that time of war games, legitimately, the sitting him through that cage, he had all the reason he.
Speaker 11: Could have fought right there, and he didn't want to fight.
Speaker 2: He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast.
Speaker 1: He's an lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnaco and JP sorrow.
Speaker 6: So to Sid's way of telling it, he's in the parking lot with the squegee and Pillman's getting in his face. Of course, Graham tells the story of Sid re entering the hotel wielding the squegee ready to go to war. Now, those are two things that just don't mix, like someone's right and someone's wrong.
Speaker 3: Here do we have the truth?
Speaker 6: They don't have the truth? Now, those are the two stories we have, And of course we don't have Pilman story because before there really was such a thing as a shoot interview industry, he passed away. But you know, it makes more sense to me that Sid would grab the squeegee if he was being run up on in the car. Yeah, and he just grabbed the nearest thing he had then going to the going to the parking lot and coming back with a squeegee, And maybe he did both.
Speaker 3: Maybe he uh, he.
Speaker 6: Grabbed the squeegee in confronting Pim in the parking lot and then ended up just saying, fuck, I'm gonna go back in there with this thing. But you know, Sid holding a squeegee, It's just you're not gonna hurt anybody with that.
Speaker 3: I know, it's a fucking it's like the it's like the worst weapon you could possibly grab, especially when you're tall and like you're supposed to be menacing. And he does. He does come across as someone who really, more often than not, is gonna make himself look like an idiot exactly, thank you. You know, when push comes to shove, he really can't get across the toughness factor. He just looks like a fool when.
Speaker 6: It comes right when it comes right down to it, he's gonna make you kind of laugh in his face, even if you don't intend to. And so we go and and you know what, you know, it's another chapter in that book is his face when they announced that he will not get the WrestleMania eight WWF title shot. Yes, describe it for the people, the face he makes when they declare Hogan the Challenger or Savage the Challenge or whatever it was.
Speaker 3: It's just like, you know, he well, first of all, don't don't forget he stands up first, thinking he's the number one contender. It's spectacular. Oh, it's spectacular. He stands up, and then Hogan gets it, and he sits back down, and he goes he tears up random pieces of paper.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like a like a child having a child. So this is them accelerating. Oh, the last man standing, Yes, because this is coming off the Rumble, of course, and we'll get to that. Yeah, but I just I thought of that right away when I thought of what, when have I seen a face from Sid that's probably close to the face he was making wielding that squeegee. And it's this WrestleMania press conference angle we've talked about over the years. You know all about it. It's a WrestleMania eight episode is there for the taking in the archives. But as we know, going into WrestleMania eight, there is controversy because of the way the Rumble ninety two ended Rick Flair, of course becoming WA champion after Hulk Hogan pulls Sid out after Hogan had already been eliminated. It falls to WWF president Jack Tunney to make a decision as to who will get the championship shot at WrestleMania. Everyone's thinking Hogan Flair. He declares it to be Hogan right in that press conference. Yes, and it doesn't end up being Hogan ultimately, and Sid gets so pissed that he didn't get it. And this is where Sid turns Heill Basically, this is the first time he does something Yeah, yeah, because not so forget when he pulled Hogan out of the rumble, he got pretty well cheered. It wasn't like it was almost more of a heel turn for Hogan.
Speaker 3: Than I mean, honestly, all this stuff actually it's actually all a bunch of babyface stuff that really happens to him. I mean, even getting even getting screwed out of the title shot is it's like you kind of feel for Sid because Sid was the last guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you kind of resent Hogan because he's been there so many times and now he's getting advantaged again. But in their mind, they always do this. Vince always had a problem with this, where like he get to a certain point where he'd assume that the babyface would be cheered. He did this with Charlotte against Becky, remember, and it was like, oh, okay, like here's another here's another version of the formula where Hogan comes out the baby face. It's like, no, no, no, no, no, that's one too many times you just missed you, you're one step behind.
Speaker 3: That's one too many times it's done a piss poor job of it, pispor job, and you're going to get Hogan over as the baby face. Everything else should have happened like he should have been in the Sid position absolutely the whole time. And we're about to talk about this because Sid notices this. Vince may have been too more clever than we think here, because Hogan, knowing that Sid's gonna move in in his position, has a fucking fit. According to Sid backstage after the Royal rumaldnineteen ninety two, feeling like Vince actually engineered circumstances, knowing full well that the way it ended up being executed, and that Hogan couldn't see it coming until it was too late, that Sid would come away the baby face and Hogan would come away the whiny bitch. And instead of that being like some fans not going with Vince and his his direction and his intended reaction, Hogan actually thinks that Vince knew full well what the fans would do and try to get Hogan to go along with it, and Sid is just, you know, this guy caught in the middle who doesn't understand this sort of you know, three D chest that's going on, and certainly never had to deal with that WCW where people just showed up to collect and go home. Oh yeah, this is like a brand new way of playing the game to him, and he's very inexperienced in this regard. So he's playing with the big dogs here. But just to hear what Sid had to say after that WrestleMania a press conference, it's rather a legendary and it puts another thing that we always talk about with Sid on the table. Well, he said, Justice, you were obviously not or to say something.
Speaker 11: What happened at Ward Rumbles.
Speaker 3: It was simple, man, I was the last man standing. I would be the world.
Speaker 13: Chapman if it wasn't for you, Hogan, pulling me out from outside the ring.
Speaker 3: Now, what you did, Jack Tunny was bogus.
Speaker 30: Both bogus act you fair for pull off.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you what is it?
Speaker 13: Is it because I'm not a big movie stormed like Hulk Cogan, the big and mortal one himself.
Speaker 31: Is it because Sid Justice is the newcomer?
Speaker 13: Well, I want to tell you something, Hulk Hogan, you couldn't be ripped player on your best taste. But I can't why because Sid Justice ools us the world?
Speaker 6: I think it's the first time he said rules the world.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 6: Certainly close to it because that's a heel line, and he's now a heel or you know, in their mind becoming a heel, even though, like you said, any fair reading of the way that played out for Sid, he is absolutely the victim.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 6: But it's like Brett in ninety seven, And that's interesting. That's interesting because you know, that plays a huge role in where Sid stands Brett's storyline in ninety seven. It's like, even if you're justified, if you whine too much about being screwed over, you are eventually going to be a heel in the eyes of the fans. Like right, even if you have a total solid case to make, if you if you go to go too long complaining about it, eventually the fans turn on your forward or dis you know, have a certain degree disdain for you. So I think that's what happens to Sid, even though as I mentioned, there are people that are vociferously kind of with Sid kicking Hogan's asset, wrestling the aid for the most part, by the time they get to Who's Your Dome, it's you know, eighty five percent pro Hogan, right, even if you're coming out of the road.
Speaker 3: And they enough, you know, to make to make Sid little the bad guy.
Speaker 6: Indeed, and I got a request and I'm going to answer it from one of our patrons. As we get to this point, we've had a lot of fun as you just started mimicking it. You just started out with pantomiming it with that promo over the years, the most bogus thing you've ever pulled off. Yes, someone said, you know, I expect a treatise on the etymology of the word bogus. All right, so in Sid's voice, could you please read this summation of what we know. And it's it's not very much about where the word bogus comes from.
Speaker 3: The word bogus has a somewhat mysterious etymology, but it appears to have originated in the early nineteenth century in the United States. It originally referred to device used for counterfeiting.
Speaker 6: Also known as pro wrestling, such as make.
Speaker 3: A machine for making fake coins. Over time, the words meaning broadened to or for anything that was fake, fraudulent, or not genuine. Here's a more detailed look at the potential origin. Number One early used counterfeit money around the eighteen twenties eighteen thirties, bogus was used to describe a machine for making counterfeit coins or the counterfeit coins themselves. Number two folk origins. Some sources suggest that a bogus might have derived from a slang word for a fake device or contraption often used in criminal activities, though exact origins remain speculative. Evolution of meaning as it spread, bogus evolves describe anything that was false, dishonest, or unreliable. By the late nineteenth century, its use had explained to refer to anything considered fake or phony, not just currency. The exact root of the word remains unclear, and there's no widely agreed upon linguistic origin. No, it might have been linked to the boom in counterfeit currency production during this time. The meaning today still reflects its origins, describing something fake or inauthentic.
Speaker 6: Wow, and certainly Jack Tunney's decision as it regards contendership for the WIF.
Speaker 3: Title qualifies under that very inauthentic.
Speaker 6: And it's funny that he ends up at a crossroads here with Rick Flair as WF CHAM For many reasons. One, he leaves WCW in the dust and leaves Flair in the dust, you know, after having that friction with him and the Horseman over how much you know, we talked about it last week, how much he was paid, and perhaps some resentment there that Sid's read of why Flair gave him somewhat of a cold shoulder as time went on. And there is also the matter at WCW or Flair, who you know, had a lot of sway in terms of how things were booked and how things were framed. He'd just been the head of the booking committee and kind of voluntarily stepped down from that role but retained a lot of sway backstage, would basically, according to Sid, kind of give them a hard time. Ahead of Hollyween Havoc nineteen, I debrief faced sting for the title in the main event about saying on interviews that I'm going to be the next world champion and referring to himself repeatedly as the next world Champion. To Rick Flair's mind, that's not something he should say as much as he did if there wasn't indeed a plan to give him the title, or if they wanted to keep it somewhat of a surprise if they decided to give him this strap. Sid's story is at Olie Anderson, who of course was very much as confident and supporter in the front office and loved Sid was telling him to go out and say this, and Oi was the actual boss at that point in time, and so he's going to stick with what Oli says. Now, of course, Sid is just going to stick with whatever. If two people tell him to doude two different things, He's going to pick the one that frames him strongest and side with that person. But I mean, the tension goes all the way back to that point and now here he is top dog right above Flair and the WWF on the Big WrestleMania show, and still the stature of Rick vs. V The championship is a relevant consideration for him and how he's cutting promos. It really is something. How he leaves WCW presumably leaving that Rick Flair situation behind him, and Rick comes right in the door behind him as well. It's so true, really strange. So as far as Sid looks back on Hollyween Havoc ninety, he said in a shoot interview once, so I know that he was the one Flair that went to the upper people and said Sid's not ready for this. Yes, so he sees some sabotage. He really came into Halloween Havock apparently expecting to win the championship, and that's where he gets into that whole thing about how Barry Wyndham showing up in the matches the faked Sting was not run by him ahead of time. He sort of frames it. I guess ultimately is something that was done to get Sid in the ring thinking he's going to win the title, and double cross him in real time to where Sting can still leave the champion, but Sid can go to the ring and not put up a fucking fight about not winning. So I don't know there's a lot of credulity required to believe that version of events, but I do believe that Flair and Sid had some crosswords or at least spoke behind each other's backs about things. And I would not be surprised at all if Flair was going to the realizing how much Sid was making going to the height of his powers to let people know that he didn't think should be the world champion at that point in nineteen ninety. But here we are in the WWF and their fates are again intertwined. And as mentioned at the Royal Rumble nineteen ninety two, Rick Flair and the great Greatest Rumble ever wins the championship. We know the story, we know what happens Albany, New York. CID eliminates Hogan, everybody goes, oh my god, and then Hogan gets so pissed that he pulls Sid out from the floor, and the crowd of course boos vociferously at Hogan for doing this and cheers wildly when CID eliminates Hogan. In subsequent releases of the tape on Colisseum Video and replays on television and on the network to this day, they sort of dub over the crowd going crazy when Hogan gets eliminated and yeah, boo wing Hogan. But anybody who watched the Rumble ninety two live.
Speaker 3: Well, And also you can't deny the fact that, you know, people jump out of their seats when Hogan gets eliminated.
Speaker 6: You can see it, right. Yeah, so that's absolutely true as well. So Sid is now going to the back here in Albany, and he's going to observe what's happening here. And again this is a Sid who's already kind of disillusioned because the plan of him working only TVs and pay per views has fallen through the idea of him sort of taking his time to marinate to become the next guy when Hogan departs has now accelerated so much with Warrior sudden departure that he's out there clearly, as we heard him express in a deeply dissatisfying position of posing next to Hulk Hogan at the end of SummerSlam, like that's supposed to accomplish anything. He'd call me a poser, and he tears his bicep and loses the chance to be as you mentioned, the show closer at the Survivor series in his first pay per view match, So he's already kind of not sure about this whole thing. And then Hogan, according to Sid and I just love to picture this in my head, and we'll hear the clip here from a shoot interview that he did. This is the one with Sean Mooney completely flips his lid over what happened with Sid out there in the Rumble ninety two.
Speaker 8: In that company. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, you know, I left a big guaranteed contract to come into this place, and what the deal was. I was going to do TVs and pay per views for one year, and that's to WrestleMania. I was going to be the world champ and I was going to start my first house show. Well, he had the Fire of the Warrior, a SummerSlam, and all that shit changed, you know, So from the very beginning, things.
Speaker 11: Just didn't go right.
Speaker 8: So we were in already New York at Royal Rumble, where I think Hogan pulled me out from the outside or something, and they started. Right when we get back, you know, Hogan is screaming and acting like a woman, and I'll go hold on a minute. He's screaming at events.
Speaker 3: You set this up.
Speaker 8: You made this happen. I didn't even know Vince was that bad of a person at the time, you know that did things like that. I thought that was just all hearsay because I didn't care. You know, I really didn't care what they did. So I went to Vince's office, I said, Vince, listen, man. I took my hand down. I said, I'm gonna I'm gonna thank you for the opportunity, but I'm gone. I cannot work in the place that grown men act like women. And he said, no, no, no, I'm not shaking your hand. That's what it's not going to do you good. I'm leaving. He's doing well, you just stay till WrestleMania. And I said, okay, I'll stay till WrestleMania.
Speaker 11: And that's what I did.
Speaker 8: And I think I finished up a couple of days after WrestleMania.
Speaker 6: And this is where they make that sharp right turn where Whippleman comes in and suddenly Sid's attacking innocence on all the television shows and going super strong heel and uh, that's that's what he claims. He claims that he quit WWF backstage. What a fucking nightmare of for Vince.
Speaker 3: I mean, what are you doing.
Speaker 6: Everyone loves this show. They think it's such a brilliantly booked show. Backstage, Sids Quintin Hogan's Quintin. Fucking everything's falling apart, and yeah, it starts to make sense. I mean, Sid, just agree to stay through WrestleMania, because even though he did work a couple of shows. After he fucking leaves, he leaves, he finds a way out. Now there's this, there's we've talked about this before, and we'll talk about it again. There's a certain subtext to all this that he never seems to mention. And Vince is cracking down on drug testing. Yeah, I musten not even sure if he was fifty pounds lighter, if he would have been as big.
Speaker 3: Of a deal. Oh, I don't think so at all. I don't think there would have been any I think I think that that would have been I think it would have been done easily. He's not gonna he's not gonna main event anything. Yeah, if he's not his size, Like, the size is what makes him special, and.
Speaker 6: I think he knew that better than anybody, as someone that was so maniacally determined to keep that size up by all indications, and you know, someone who like literally disappeared after he broke his leg and wasn't able to you know, continue on the regiment and didn't really emerge again into the public eye until he had healed sufficient to get his size up again. So all that said, you got to consider that as part of what might be animating sid looking for reasons to quit. Okay, I'm just suggesting that that's a strong possibility, and the nature of his ultimate departure in nineteen ninety two after rest eight, I think adds a lot of credence to that theory. So we'll get to more detail on that front. But what happens here is is the way this all ends up playing out for Sid leads to kind of like this folklore, this urban legend that basically Sid was in position to get Hulk Cogan spot in the company and ended up being so sort of tone deaf to everything that he instead insisted on becoming a heel that somehow it was at Sid's insistence that he caused himself the opportunity to be the next Hull Covid of the Baboo, as he just you know, wanted to play from his old bag of tricks as a heel. Here's here's an example of that. This is Kevin Nash reacting to the passing of Sid and has clicked this podcast with Sean Oliver, you know, reflecting on some of the things that you heard about Sid being in the business and he knew Sid real well, and this is, uh, this is kind of like what survived in terms of the version of the story of what happened in this time period of w W.
Speaker 8: He sent my church a case of beingna sausages, and I sent him an autograph picture.
Speaker 6: Gotcha now here he is.
Speaker 3: I wasn't said one of the biggest names in He was just fucking Sid.
Speaker 32: I mean one of the one of the stories that's always surfaced is, you know, Vince calls Sit into the office and Sid comes in and Vince says, you know, I'm gonna give you Hogan's boots, like You're gonna basically like Hogan's gonna give you his gimmick and you're You're gonna He's gonna pass the torch to you, and said he looked at Vince and said, well, yeah, that's great and all, but what you need right now is a big vicious heel. So in other words, like just like that, we're gonna give you the Hogan spot.
Speaker 3: Nah.
Speaker 32: Thanks, but I think you need a big vicious heel.
Speaker 6: Amazing And he did the Sid accent too, Yeah, he did. What you did right now is a big vicious heel. Of course, I can definitely hear Sid saying what you need right now? Yeah, oh, absolutely, yeah, because he's seeing himself as a.
Speaker 3: What you need right now is you need a big vicious heel. No, I could do. I could bring in I could bring in some Viennas. You see what I'm saying. I come in, I'll throw Vienna's and it's all over. Disgusting Vienna what brother Vienna's Dude? What is that? What are you?
Speaker 6: Huh? It's just amazing that Sid watches all this chaos around him. The legend ends up being that Sid talked himself out of hul Cogan's position. It's ridiculous and so well, it's time to go heal. You know what time it is, boss? This is where you enter the picture, right. Oh yeah, Saturday Night's main event on NBC, one of the final ones in NBC on Fox, Sorry Fox Fox building to WrestleMania eight and they shoot the angle. Sid's teaming with Hogan against two again Undertaker and Rick Flair. You can't miss it. It's in the archives for your review. We've talked about it before, but we're gonna revisit it here. Sid betrays the Hawkster.
Speaker 20: Good Richie for the time you listen. Oh, no, Justice, what's he doing? Trust does Purgans holding?
Speaker 3: Can't tell you?
Speaker 7: This is a sen He's taking her.
Speaker 2: He he's had enough for help hugging.
Speaker 7: He's had enough for beefcake.
Speaker 2: He's taking a hot.
Speaker 4: Put us beefcake spinning. Ah, wait a minute, help him, don't need any please, this will be like a hockey game. He'll be a face off if he touches beefcake. I guarantee, says help himself. But you hear what Justice said. He wants talking to help himself, joining.
Speaker 12: Me now, said Justice, there must be some reason for your suctions.
Speaker 2: You turned your.
Speaker 30: Back on your friend, Holt Coke shut up first.
Speaker 3: It's easy.
Speaker 13: I do turn my back on my friends because I do need any friends, and for furthermore, for friends like Cold Cogan, I need no enemies.
Speaker 2: Now, I cannot still believe the words that.
Speaker 13: Jack Tunny spit out his mouth and named Hulk Cogan the number one contender to face Rick Flair for the championship at WrestleMania.
Speaker 11: Because it's simple.
Speaker 13: All you have to do is open your eyes and you will see the man is standing here as the number one contender. Now, Jack Turney, you've alreadys showed favoritism, always showed favorite tasm tow.
Speaker 3: Him in case that big movie store.
Speaker 11: Maybe I'm not.
Speaker 3: I said it once and I'll say it again. Hulk Cogan. You couldn't beat Rick Flair on your best day.
Speaker 30: As you can't make me oh my worst for Clive the Madden the rules in the world, and I believed him.
Speaker 3: Take us back.
Speaker 6: How are you reacting?
Speaker 3: Oh god, I was. I mean, you know, first of all, I was mortified because all I wanted was to see a whole Cogan, you know, whule Cogan win a match clean on TV live or in my mind live. That's all I wanted. And I was so excited and then Sid pulls this shit. Oh god, I can remember how nervous I was when when when Sid wasn't looking for the tag oh.
Speaker 6: Dropped right off the apron and Hogan's desperate crawl.
Speaker 3: It was so it was just.
Speaker 6: It was brutal to me, and he did it so nonchalantly. But then to have such venom on the promo afterwards. Yeah, these are the guys you're looking into that formed your lifelong impressions of Sid. Exactly the first thing you said when we started doing the tribute show that came from the promo. We just heard in the angle, we just heard yep, exactly all that massive and it was, uh, you know, this match was featured in the Battle of the Titans. Yeah, this is the time for in the April ninety two issue of W magazine. Now that Sid's a heel, let's see how the framing has shifted. In the in house publication, there we go.
Speaker 3: Sid Justice promised everyone that he would be the Hulkster's truest friend hours before they were scheduled to meet w Champion Rick Flair and the Undertaker on Saturday Night's main event last month. Sid broke his promise and showed his true colors when he abandoned the Hulkster in his time of need. It was clear even before they entered the Saturday Night's main event ring that all was not well between Justice and hulk As soon as the bell rang, they argued as to whom as to whether which of them would start the match. The Hulkster reluctantly stepped to the apron and watched his partner lock up with Flair. Justice quickly established his dominance. He reversed an Irish whip and slung Flair into the turnbuckle before leveling him with a back body drop on a hip. Stunned, Flair sought refuge on the arena floor after he caught his breath. Flair re entered the ring just then Justice tagged the Hulkster, who was out to demolish Flair. Hogan went on a tear. He booted Flair in the stomach and hammered him with the same tactics that Justice had used moments earlier. The Undertaker rushed to his partner's age It aid it was a mistake. Hogan greeted the Hogan greeted the Pale Destroyer. Oh my god, p is capitalized as his d Is it really the Pale Destroyer? Yes? With punches and a hip toss. Holk then grabbed the Undertaker and rammed his head into Justice's boot. Justice tagged into the match and staggered the Undertaker with a body slam before ramming his head into the Halkster's boot in the corner. At that point, Justice and Hogan were working together like a well oiled machine. Hulk kept up the momentum by double clotheslining his opponents from there, sid In the Hulkster merged their talents and cleared Flair and the Undertaker from the ring with precision double teeming. The crowd erupted into cheers Hogan, who shares a tight bond with his millions of holkam Amiacs reveled in their adulation. Justice looked at Hogan with envy. O my god. He shook his head and snorted snorted, what we don't know.
Speaker 6: I know, I remember seeing this, but okay, whatever you say.
Speaker 3: Seconds later, the complexion of the match changed. Separated by the referee, Hogan and Flair jawed at one another on the apron. The Undertaker entered the ring and blasted Justice, whose guard was down. The Undertaker tagged Flair, and together the two athletes worked over the big man from Arkansas with chops, chokes, and punches to the ear.
Speaker 6: Okay, strangely, specific.
Speaker 3: Amazingly, Sid absorbed these blows and rebounded. He grabbed Flair and the Undertaker and rammed their skulls together, dazing them. Justice tagged a fired up Hulkster, who stormed the ring and tattooed Flair in the Undertaker with tremendous blows tattooed. Even the Undertaker's manager, Paul BarreR, was tagged when he stepped too close to the action. Yes. However, while Holkomania was running wild, Flair was clearing the cobwebs and planning his next move. He crept up on Hogan's blind side and dropped him with a boot to the lower hamstring like a wolf. Flair dug into the tender spot and ensnared brother. Won't my spot, dude, my spouse word tender, dude, that's quite tender, and ensnared Hogan in a painful figure for leg lock. Flair increased the pressure and rocked on the mat to ensure that every ligament in the Hulkster's leg would be twisted. Writhing in pain, Hulk inched his way across the ring and reached up for an important tag. He was reaching for air with contempt in his beady eyes. Sid turned down, looked down at Hogan and turned his back. Seeing this flare on, the Undertaker opened up on the Hulkster. They choked him and pummeled him into the mat. Hogan tried to rebound with slams, but every time he went to his corner, Justice wouldn't extend his hand. He ignored Hogan's plea for help. Finally, Justice wiped his hands of Hulk Hogan. He stepped out the apron just before Hogan reached for another crucial tag and walked off Brutus the barber. Beefcake, who was at ringside during the match, ran down the aisle and confronted Sid b if Keke told Justice to return to action. However, Justice didn't want any of Hogan or his best friend Beefcake. He looked at the ring, arched his eyebrows, and then spit in Brutus's face. Wow. Meanwhile, Hogan was still taking a beating. Flair and the Undertaker choked and kicked the Hulkster at will. When the referee attempted to stop them, Flair threw him to the canvas, which eventually earned the team at disqualification. Beefcake, still recovering from facial injuries, still recovering. I mean, come on, it's been almost two years where you're recovering from. I couldn't take any more. He ran into the ring and challenged Flair and the Undertaker. Sensing they might permanently injure somebody, Flair and his partner turned their attention to Beefcake. However, this was what Hogan needed. He rose to his feet and came to his friend's aid. He battered the Undertaker and Flair as if there were no tomorrow, and deposited them on the arena floor, where they chose to stay after the bell. Hogan was of it. He promised everybody that justice will be served for Sid's actions when they meet at WrestleMania eight. And that's the Battle of the Titans. And you read this with horror, I'd imagine, Well, by this point I kind of knew that it was, you know, what was going down. I see, you know. It wasn't really a surprise, but what was I was very excited just to be able to read about Hulk Hogan and the magazine like.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 3: This was only my second magazine that I purchased, and I'd never read about a Hulk Hogan match in the magazine. So I was very excited about that.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, So the memories that pour forward in the way that Sid is portrayed there, what a piece of shit, right?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah? The cover too, By the way, he has Flair, Savage, Hogan, and Sid, all four of them on the cover.
Speaker 6: Is that that famous cover with Flair with a belt in the foreground.
Speaker 3: No, that's the March issue equally as important. Actually, there is a piece in there, actually a very brief piece, because because what they do is they they interview in the interview section, they interview a number of superstars. It's Hogan, It's Flair, Savage, Piper, Undertaker, and Sid And here's what Sid so he's asked, said Justice, you've said you think this is also before he before he turned on Hogan. This is pre turn, said Justice. You said you've earned you think you deserve a shot of the title. Does the fact that you don't have a chance to get it in to get it in any way? Said Justice. You said you think you deserve a shot at the title. Does the fact that you don't have a chance to get it in any way diminish your enthusiasm for WrestleMania eight? No way, man, I'm gonna crack that head of somebody big at WrestleMania eight. You wait and see. I'm gonna do something that will make people look more than twice at Sid Justice. You can believe it when I say that I'm no longer is this farm board from Arkansas gonna take a back seat to anybody watch out for Sid Justice.
Speaker 1: Damn it's a la fan wrestling podcasts fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Jpro.
Speaker 6: That's a hell turn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's it's it's they're planting the seeds there for sure.
Speaker 6: And so if you need to really accentuate this change in personality and really need to you know, deliver more, you know, obnoxious promos or longer form promos, if you need someone to play off of, you know, perhaps it's time to uh no boy, to cash in in an old favor. Perhaps it's time to call in an old friend. You recall when Sid left Memphis and Continental for WCW in eighty nine, there was kind of a thing between him and Downtown Bruno is manager in Continental as Lord Humongus that you know, when I make it, that phone's going to ring again when I need you and a friend to the end in a lot of ways. Indeed, and perhaps in less ways than Downtown Bruno would have hoped for, was Sid. We turn now to wrestling with the Truth Brunel Lauer's book and his recollection of how now that Sid's a heel, that phone's ringing? We need Harvey Whippleman take it away.
Speaker 3: One day in July nineteen ninety one, as I sat in the box office in Jasper, Indiana, the telephone ring that wasn't unusual. There was there were always a lot of calls to the box office on the day of the Showphis fans who had questions about ticket prices, the lineup, the bell time, et cetera. I was used to answering those questions. This phone call, however, was one that I didn't expect. It was Sabrina Udi, Sid's wife calling me from Atlanta. I was shocked because, due to the fact that we were no longer living in the same general area, we were busy with our personal schedules. We hadn't remained in very close contact. We would send birthday and Christmas cards, but that was about it. I'd like to get a fucking a birthday card from Harvey Whippleman.
Speaker 6: Not what I wouldn't kill to see what it looked like. This is the Memphis box office. He's working for USWA and Jerry Longer.
Speaker 3: At the time, Sid and his family had moved from the Greater Memphis area to Atlanta, where he went to work for WCW. I was curious to know how Sabrina managed to track me down in Jasper, Indiana. The lady really did her homework. She had called Buddy Wayne, a longtime USWA promoter and friend, and asked him if he knew how to reach me. He told me that I was living in a shed behind Lawler's house and gave her Lawler's number. She then called Lawler, who confirmed that I was staying in his quote guest quarters, that I had been on the road since Tuesday morning and he didn't know when I'd be back. He told Sabrina that I would definitely be back for TV on Saturday, and added that the fact that Jasper was running him that night Thursday, and that she could probably get the number of the arena from the operator. When she finally heard my voice on the phone, she seemed to be relieved. Her first question was to ask what I had on my schedule for three weeks from that day. I told her that it never varied much. Monday, Memphis, Tuesday's Louisville, Wednesday, Evansville. Thursday and Friday were spots shows that could have been from anywhere in a six state radius. Saturday morning was Memphis TV, Saturday was Nashville or Jonesboro. Sunday was my only day off. She told me the reason she called was that Sid had asked her to track me down to see if you would be interest if I would be interested in making a move to another territory.
Speaker 6: Imagine that putting your wife on the on the task of finding hard may.
Speaker 3: You get your ass out of bed? Wow? And you get on the fucking horn and you find Bruno.
Speaker 6: I am fascinating around by Sabrina's role here.
Speaker 3: Fascinated Yep. No, I'm not messing around. I'm not joking. Right. You see what I have to do with Frank. Frank's a piece of shit. Wow. Now, don't you disappoint me, Sabrina. I'm looking at you in your eyes, and I see the fear. I see the fear you have for Sid, and I want you to know something. That fear is justified because you will not know what it is said I will do to you if you don't find Bruno. Find him. Wow. Yes, I I had never had any desire to leave Memphis and live in Atlanta, where WW was based. I had just bought some land and I wanted to develop and live on it, much like what do you want to develop talent as well to develop. When I explained that's to Sabrina, she said, no, Sid is no longer with w CW. He's about to start with the WWE. He heard through the grapevine that they wanted to hire a new manager. So he arranged for you to get a tryout in Worcester, Massachusetts. If you're interested, you need to be there in three weeks. Was I interested? Holy cow, was I ever interested? Just when I thought I would. He's setting up rings and selling tickets for Eddie Marlin until the day of my death. I was looking for the opportunity of a lifetime. I thank Suprena and told her I would call sit at his home in Atlanta on Sunday. I wasn't yet ready for lawler Jerry Jarrett or Eddie Marlin to know, just in case things didn't work out. So on Sunday I called Sid from Buddy Wayne's house. Sid confirmed that he had a tryout date set for me in Worcester. Pronounced Worcester, Yeah, yeah, to be clear, Yeah, because you know most people would say Worcester, but.
Speaker 6: Now we need to know what to pronounce Worcester when we read the book for some reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, but he stressed that it was only a tryout, nothing was guaranteed. I had to impress Vincickman, Pat Patterson and JJ Dillon or I would return to setting up rings in places like evening shade, Arkansas for the rest of my life. Sid wanted me to drive to Atlanta about three days before my shop and fly with him to New England. I was just a Southern redneck who was it used to a big territory like the WWE, and he wanted to be with me so I wouldn't feel awkward or nervous. After I assured said that I would be there at the appointed time, I thanked him and hung up. And you better be there at that time that I gave you. If you're not there, Bruno, there's no telling what I'll do to you.
Speaker 6: Yes, God, there's no telling what I'll do to you. Fuck the hell.
Speaker 3: You've heard me in the night. You've heard me taking my knife. I'm shaating it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's not forget his lasting impression of being on the road with Sid.
Speaker 3: Alright, you know what I'm capable of, you know, damn well. I'm not afraid to let my knife enter another human body that I'm not afraid to shed the blood of humanity on my white sheets. M Bruno, I will kill you.
Speaker 6: Oh my god. That's a direct, direct threat of murder. That is an absolute crime by any any read of the situation. Because he's so done trying to talk around it. It just goes brutal. I will kill you.
Speaker 3: I will kill you. I will slit your throat if you're not where I say you need to be on the exact date, at the exact time, in the exact place. Do you understand me? Right? Yeah, that's a good one. That's good.
Speaker 6: Well, I like to come on all ye JP's Whippleman lapsed, Tarvy lapsed, Tarvin's.
Speaker 3: Harvin's Whippleman. Oh yeah, I for I assured Sid that I would be there at the appointed time. I thanked him and hung up. I knew at that point that if I could impress the people in the WWE, there was a genuine chance that I would actually get a starting date and a spot on the talent roster. I had paid my dues, and I had learned a lot during my twelve years of pounding the asphalt. I think it's kind of the pavement and asphalt doesn't really pounding the asphalt. I was finally being given the opportunity to do something big, and I was determined that I wouldn't mess up the opportunity. It's all like an offer, you pal, That's right, It was an opportunity offer here pal exactly. I knew I was a good manager, and I was finally getting a chance to prove it. I thought it was rather ironic that in twelve years of managing all over the country, I never got a call from New York. But after six or seven weeks of setting up the ring and selling tickets, here comes the call. I left French Lick and drove straight to Birmingham, Alabama. Arrived around six o'clock in the morning. I checked into the same hotel where Sid and I had stayed several years earlier. I was so exhausted from the same one, the same one. I didn't catch that that's hilarious. I was so exhausted from the trip that it didn't matter where I was. I just wanted to bed, to lie down on I slept almost until noon, and after breakfast, I got on I twenty east and headed for Atlanta. As as I drove, I could say, I said a few prayers. I felt I needed all the help I could get both with Sid in my New England, Both with Sid and in my New England trial. You know, I figured I think of Harvey Whippelman, or you know Bruno as a guy who it doesn't matter how many times he showers a day, he still smells just wretched totally, you know, just can't help it. He's just got he's got, you know, his natural sense disgusting body odor. Like he could you know, he could shower three times and he still smells like horseship.
Speaker 15: Or you know.
Speaker 3: He also he also still smells like he shop his pants.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: Look, I'm not saying anything to counteract it.
Speaker 3: So he take take from that, like you know, he just got that that set like like like as if he he he took a ship and just didn't wipe well enough, and so there's.
Speaker 6: Just like especially when he sweats in his ass.
Speaker 3: Crack, yeah, exactly, and the hair is just like soak in.
Speaker 6: The soak is not the word. I'm serious, man, I can't.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I felt I needed all the help I could get, both with Sid and in my knowing. As I approached Hot Lanta, as Michael Hayes would call it, Okay, I stopped at a rest area tot call Sid's house. I had never been to Atlanta, so I had no idea of how to get there. A sure, a short while after getting directions, can you imagine the direction that Sid gave him. You just keep driving. You've gone too far. If you drop too far, you'll know it. Oh my god, how would I know it? You'll know? Okay, short whiles were getting director, I pulled up in front of his rental house and went inside. Sid was preparing to move back to the Memphis area, which was one of the greatest benefits of working for the WWE. They allowed you to live where you wanted to live, not like WCW, who demanded that you live in the company town. Sid in Sabrina took me to the Lenox Square mall in the Buckhead area of Atlanta and bought me a couple of nice outfits. They didn't want me to walk into the ww headquarters wearing my early nineteen eighties clothing. Sid also took me to the New York Suit Exchange, a high end haberd Habit hashery for businessmen, and bought me a sear sucker suit that he wanted me to wear during my tryout. He had the tailor hammet up so it appeared to be about two sizes too small for me. Since my debut was within a couple of months of the Peewee Herman masturbation incident. SID made sure that my bowt tie and shoes were similar to those worn by p Yes, I do, I do, because it was like that was like the the you know, I remember that being a big deal because I was a big Peewee fan, you know, watching watching the show as a kid.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so it was just kind of like, oh, man, Like now he's a fucking punchline, right.
Speaker 3: He's still like he's a he's a fucking degenerate too. Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Well they're fucking are so sick of losing him to that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 6: But I never thought of Harvey whippleman is. But it makes sense now that he says that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does, I mean because they do wear different outfits. But the I can see that the shoes and they and the bow tie totally being like that and some SID paid for everything with the with the agreement that I would pay him back in full when hope they get hired by the w WE. If you don't get him paid, if you don't get hired, I will kill you.
Speaker 6: Right, that's the opposite, that's the alternative.
Speaker 3: Because I'm not paying for your ship is a fucking loan Wow, and then you're gonna loan me your life permanent.
Speaker 6: Take that seer? Sucker?
Speaker 3: Who's the sucker?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 3: When the morning of our trip to New England ride we got up early, ate breakfast? I get it, I get it. But you ate breakfast every fucking morning. Okay, every fucking story is him talking about breakfast. Jesus Christ. Dude even said it. Now, you know the motelities about getting breakfast driving Atlanta?
Speaker 6: Get it, dude, You eat breakfast every day? That was brilliant, you know, So do I.
Speaker 3: Here be going on about it? Fucking I'm fucking you know, talking, you know, writing it down somewhere and saying, hey, I wouldn't hear me talking about it?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I guess what. I ate breakfast again this morning, keeping that record alive. Every day so far forty three years, and every day I capt fucking breakfast. I went to the Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport. I don't need the whole fucking name either, I get it.
Speaker 6: You went to the airport wrestlers and their fucking landmarks.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 3: Our flight was uneventful and we landed as scheduled in Boston, which from which we made the short drive to Wooster. I mean, I guess, I guess for them it would be like short. I'm say it's not short.
Speaker 6: Don't feel short to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's like it's like it's like forty five minutes. Some of that could be longer. Yeah, I think it's like forty five minutes to an hour, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know you hit rush hour two hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. If you're walking, it takes like, well, yeah exactly.
Speaker 6: He's not considering how long it takes to walk from the airport to the satellite city.
Speaker 3: Whale and Mercy, You're walking everywhere with your long strides.
Speaker 6: Whaling Mercy sounds like a Boston law firm. W h e l A Whaling Mercy and the associates, Billy Whalen. How would high school Billy.
Speaker 3: Billy wayama. When we arrived at the Worcester Centrum Center, the arena, I saw wrestlers everywhere. I was happy to see some of the guys that I hadn't seen in years. That's crazy, the guys that I hadn't seen. Okay, it's crazy that he saw wrestlers everywhere at the wrestling show, and it's fucking blowing my mind. I can't believe us all wrestlers right as they came around, guys I'd seen before, such as the Bushwhackers, tug Boat, Fred Otman, Jimmy Hart, Jimmy Snook, and Marty Jeannetti. I guess ye he was. The familiarity with those guys helped ease the tension I felt at being in a new environment. I was so pleased to meet a lot of guys whose paths I had never crossed. One of the first WW executives I met that day was Pat Patterson. I've spoken to Pat many times over the years as I tried to work my way into the company, but that was the first time we had actually met in person. Pat was very friendly and easy going, and he made me feel right at home. Pat was and is a great guy, and to this day we share a great friendship. He is also a tremendous businessman who has a real gift for understanding the psychology of our business. So how does that make him a tremendous businessman if he has a real gift for understanding the psychology of our business? He's a fucking horrible writer. His sentences structure is awful. He's in the same words, multiple times in the same sentence, it's awful. As the day went along, I met many other executives, executives, bosses, and agents. Hogan, however, walked right over to me and extended his hand. To my surprise, he said, Hey, Downtown Bruno, I'll watched you give the King hell in Memphis for a long time. I guess it's my turn now.
Speaker 21: Huh.
Speaker 3: That simple comment made me feel like a million dollars. Here was the number one guy in the in the entire wrestling business, and not only did he know who I was, but he took the time to make me feel well come in his world. Hogan won. Hogan was and is a true class act, and he will always have my respect and admiration. When Beefcake saw Hogan speak to me, he suddenly managed to find the time to shake my hand. Jesus Christ, what a transparent, self absorbed asshole, Beefcake. Nobody ever respected you, and nobody ever will.
Speaker 6: Downtown Bruno's book, I.
Speaker 3: Hope you realize that you can only get you can go only you can only get so far by riding somebody else's coattail, and sooner or later you have to make your own way. You know it's saying you like, he's not even talking about him. He's like directly attacking him totally. You never did and you never will. Finally, about six o'clock in the evening, I was brought to brought in to meet the quote Emperor. I was petrified, but I soon but I found out in short order that there was no reason at all to feel that way. Vince seemed genuinely happy to see me. Unlike a marginally successful dog turd like beefcake shit, a truly successful individual like Vince doesn't put on airs. Vince was genuine and real man, that's what you thought. That was my first impression of him, and today, eighteen years later, I have the exact same impression of him. Vince was and is a great guy. He really made me feel as though I was doing him a favor by being there. He thanked me for coming to Worcester and probably told me that what he wanted to see in my tryout to sum it up. He loved my deep, rough, semi redneck Mississippi accent. He wanted me to be the toughest, meanest little bastard on the face of the earth. He wanted me to act like I was ten feet tall and bulletproof. In Worcester, I had been introduced to as Downtown Bruno, but on the following night in Portland, Vince told Jean to come up with a different name. He wanted something catchy and unusual. Bruno is my real name, and I had been Downtown Bruno for most of my career, but I was willing to be called anything if it got me a starting date. When Gene announced me as Harvey Herman, Yes, Harvey Herman, Harvey Herman, I went right, Oh, skip ahead, Oh well, I wanted to know. Later that evening they had to make some adjustments of cameras and lights, so there was going to be a ten minute gap of dead air time. I was told they would normally throw a dark match into the ring to keep the audience from getting restless. They actually had two jobbers standing at the gorilla position ready to go into the ring to kill time, and Vince said, no, no, send Harvey out there, do a little ad libbing, hit the ring, take the microphone away from Howard Friinkle, let him see how let's see how much heat you can get. We'll cue you when it's time to come back. As I was about to walk through the curtain. Vince, stop me, Harvey have a last name, he asked aloud to nobody in particular Herman. Herman replied, Carla montsou No, no, no, that's too closely to pee wee Herman. What else can we come up with? How about Winny Winnie? Winny? Oh Whipple? Sorry it looked like Winnie. I had to scroll down. How about Whinny Whipple, asked Gene Oakland, said Vince, and the newly born Harvey Whipple went out to cut a promo. When I asked Pat who I would be managing, he told me that I would be with a guy named big Bully Busick. Whippleman came from a misstatement by Gene Oakland, and the name stuck. My new charge to manage was the Warlord Terry Sapinski, who up to that time had been managed by Slick.
Speaker 6: Now quickly on Busick. You remember him, of course, right, yeah, yeah, short lived run. He was a friend of SIDS and a workout partner of SIDS and somebody else that Sid got into the company. But that kind of fell apart. Abusic kind of drinking problem, first of all, and he blew it when he was sent to the ring to do his usual thing where he would go up to the kid, the planted kid in the audience and pop their balloon with his cigar.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 6: But he went to the rink one night on a television taping and totally forgot to do that. And that was the end of Big Bully Busic in the world.
Speaker 3: That's all it took.
Speaker 6: It's now brunos without a charge.
Speaker 3: Yes he is umm oh to my delight, I moved up to the next level, as they say, on January twenty second, nineteen ninety two, at the TV in Lubbock, Texas lo and behold the new top heel in the WWE. Justice as SID was called at that time, had successfully lobbied Vince to let me be as manager. For all intents and purposes, I was as high up the food chain as a heel manager could get. I went out on the road every day, and I was finally making quote road money. Unfortunately, everything didn't work out as well as it should have. Sid and I were not in the same type of situation as we had been years before in the CWF, and our friendship suffered a lot due to that. It wasn't as an easy time for me at all. The money was great and the spotlight was hot, but the stress was almost unbearable. Let's go. Sid and I have always been close, and today, as I write this, we are closer than ever. But during the period in which I managed him, we really fell apart. Ultimately, our friendship came to an end for more than two years. It was sad. Sid was on top of the world, and he gets all the credit for pulling me right up beside him. But it was an ugly situation because for some reason Sid was in a very angry mood food for his entire push, and I had to bear the brunt of his rage.
Speaker 6: Can imagine what would cause him to be in such a bad mood as WWF crackdown.
Speaker 3: On certain substances. It wasn't easy and it wasn't worth it. No matter what I was being paid. Sid literally put me through hell. He would make me get up at six o'clock in the morning to go to the gym with him, where I would sit and sit and sit.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have minded so much if Sid didn't constantly tell me how I embarrassed him with my way of dressing, my accent, my way of conducting myself, et cetera. Big Sid cut me down for everything I did at the ring, everything I said in the dressing room, and every time I sneezed. It was like the old CWF days, magnified by fifty. He was really rough on me. On the other hand, Sid was rough on himself. He got angrier and angrier with every day that went by. It was as if he was mad at the world. I didn't understand it. He was getting the push of his life. They were grooming him to be Hulk Hogan's opponent in the main event WrestleMania eight. He was making tremendous money, and yet for some inexplicable reason, he wasn't happy. Imagine and if you're part of Sid's life, when Sid is not happy, nobody's happy.
Speaker 6: Let's fucking get it all right. Let's speak that truth. Let's speak that truth.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: Harvey Whippleman, Harvin's is here.
Speaker 3: We know who that is, and we know who this is.
Speaker 8: Harvey Whippleman.
Speaker 3: Know that man at a man, not wrong, not bad.
Speaker 6: That justice rules the world, and he love you, idiot.
Speaker 3: Not a war.
Speaker 8: He is a big man.
Speaker 13: McManus.
Speaker 11: You're gonna let a hordle hoop it up if you would, hey, if.
Speaker 7: You loize, If he's quiet a second, I'll have.
Speaker 3: Something to say, don't say it and they are Hello, Yes, there's a little such crater sec letter the other day. What oh did this the other day? And it really breaks my heart's sad.
Speaker 7: I've been a hole, Tonio said.
Speaker 8: Todd goes on to win.
Speaker 3: Me and my friends.
Speaker 2: They want to know, wa.
Speaker 3: I turned my back on a hole Kking.
Speaker 7: Anyone understands he because they're stupid too.
Speaker 3: How can you destroy food?
Speaker 7: Is the barber beefcake? And destroy the barber shot when you know you were going to hit him in the States and the States was already hurt.
Speaker 8: As the the chid themis a t D.
Speaker 6: And as you can't be a friend.
Speaker 13: To the Holster, you can't read my friend either. We'll see as well.
Speaker 7: Simple if you're a friend of whole co again, you're no friend of mine.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this guy has any friends at all. Stick around it's a la fan wrestling podcast.
Speaker 1: He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnio and Jo.
Speaker 6: I mean, we can't let this go and remark that music oh music's fantastic. What's great about it.
Speaker 3: It's got a driving beat, you know, it's very heavy. It's awesome.
Speaker 6: It's like one of the best themes they've ever done. Yeah, certainly, certainly of that era too, without a doubt. We'll play it when he comes out of wrestling in the eight Holy shit. Oh yeah, it's like here comes fucking an android from the from the nether world here and he's stomping and he's gonna kill somebody. Yep, you heard the references to the British Beefcake segment. You know, certainly Sid with no lack of unflattering words, much like a Bruno and the book there for Beefcake and it's a shoot. Interviews definitely saw a Beefcakes just a shit stir and someone who had his nose up Hogan's ass. We'll turn a Beefcakes book quickly to talk about that moment. Another fucking classic Sid thing where he ends up with the shaving cream all over his face like a moron. You know, he somehow ends up looking like a fool from when he's trying to be at his most intimidating. The final barbershop segment took place. Yeah, Let's not forget by the way, Sid tearing apart the barber shop is because they were done with the segment yep, and at the end didn't have a problem destroying the set. The final barbershop segment took place in February nineteen ninety two. The newly turned Heels said Justice attacked me and destroyed the set, building heat for his feud with Hulcog and Sid was horribly embarrassing on that last barber shop. So this is a mutual feelings here between. I was supposed to cower away from him, and he went nuts. The producer said, don't challenge him. We want him to look like a monster. The thing about it was he was looking like a monster at my expense. Yeah, because you don't have an expense, Burtist, right, exactly. No one gives a fun I mean, listen, your expense is your face. Burtist thinks he's gonna get over. No, in this case, I wasn't just helping to get him over for his upcoming match with Hulkstra. I was pretty much just jobbing out. Believe me, if I could have changed something, I would I would have. If I had tried to look good, I would have lost my job. Maybe I should have. My contract was up anyhow, And the whole point to destroying the set was because they knew I was off to do a movie soon. This is how they wrote me off of television. That must have been.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, quote unquote movie it's Thundering Paradise, right, No, it's it's.
Speaker 7: That.
Speaker 6: That's not mister Nanny. He's in that movie is the Zodiac.
Speaker 3: He's the Zodiac before he's the Zodiac. But like I mean, I mean, I guess because Hogan's in the movie, you're gonna be gone and you're going to be his stunt pitch and whatever. But like, you're not really in the movie, right, I mean, you're just getting paid.
Speaker 6: You're not going away to have a movie career exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're going You're getting paid to just you know, lick Hogan's balls. I don't hold anything really against it. Of course, he was just doing his job. I just think it was a little bigger than it needed to be. After this, I took off about a year or so. That is when we went to film. Like you said, there, mister Nanny. So that is a beefcake's position and all this another victim along the way in the campaign to set up SID for WrestleMania against Hogan was Virgil. Of course, we talked about this during our Virgil tribute show and how impactful it was to us as young viewers to watch SID, you know, expose the metal buckling smash Virgil's face into it to where he had to wear a nose you know, a face mask thing whatever you call the those things brace basically, yeah, like the face protector on.
Speaker 6: His face for weeks. And you know, perhaps even more interestingly, in the Hannibal shoot interview he did, you know, he was asked about people that he's run across in the business. SID was and they mentioned Lenny Poffo, who of course was there with Randy when he introduced him into the business. And then Virgil comes up as well for reasons that well, I'm not going to give you time to connect the dots.
Speaker 3: I just have to listen.
Speaker 24: Well, you know, Devin, all the stories are all going to come back to one story, and that's him able to perform moreal sex on myself.
Speaker 11: I honestly say I never saw it. I did see Virgil do that one time. He actually virtual got fired for doing that. He was doing.
Speaker 24: He was worked in Memphis Territory, and he did it in front of Jerry Jarrett and they fired him right away.
Speaker 11: So that doesn't always help you out. Speaking of Jerry Jerry and what did you take of him.
Speaker 6: Doesn't always help you, Bob.
Speaker 3: I mean it should. Honestly, you know, if you can blow yourself, you should, Uh you know, I should, you should be your gimmick, talk about doing the job. I mean the way Sid tells that story is also so Sid. You know, yeah, well you know he, you know, a performer sex on himself and he laughs a little bit at the end. Yeah, he delivers a matter of fact like yeah, with the same intonation. It's like, you know, this is the thing that really happens, and you know exactly. He's so weird.
Speaker 6: He's such a weird guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a fucking he is weird. Weird is is you know? Uh you know, I don't I don't, I don't. I don't generally generally like that word, because you know, we're all weird. But he's fucking weird. Man, He's a bizarre individual.
Speaker 6: It's fine, it's fine. Stop falling for the gimmick.
Speaker 3: I watch him, I watch him get see. I didn't see. I didn't see Brutus give himself oral sex, but I did see Virgil do it.
Speaker 6: He said about Lannie.
Speaker 3: I've seen virgiline, so I've seen. I'm seeing Virgil blow himself. The fuck's happening. And you know, here's the thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Jerry Jarrett did get mad about it. But you know, it's one thing to just do it to show the boys you can do it as a party trick, you know, haha, we have a good laugh. But why did Virgil have to keep going until he came?
Speaker 3: I want to tell you something. I saw Virgil go at it, and I saw him blows in his mouth go at it. So it's all fine, is what we're trying to behavior. It's the way people should act, honestly. If you can, you should show it.
Speaker 6: So, you know, I say, what's what's left unspoken here? What what might be a fat X factor that Bruno is kind of intimating there that it would change Sid's moods so much, Well, let's not forget that. In November of nineteen ninety one, according to the Observer, Vince McMahon told Dave Meltzer that forty nine percent of the roster failed the initial round of steroid tests that were administered. CRUGT tests for illicited substances are steroids, and you know, color me a cynic, but you can't just as well send everybody home is set half your roster home when they come back with shit in their system. So you perhaps then develop this get out of jail free card where everyone just has to show decreasing levels and that's fair to everybody. I'm not saying it's unfair of a system, but I don't know. If that number was twenty five percent, maybe he would have made examples out of people right away instead of waiting. Well, you know, you could also petition them, as you can always do in any drug testing program, to say, hey, the stuff I'm taking, even though it's kind of against policy, I have a doctor's note, right boss, that's right, of course, and you know what I'm taking. I'm disclosing to you what I'm taking. And I think sid really thought that if he, if he was forthright in disclosing things, that he was going to be allowed through I'm sure gimmick doctors and stuff to keep gearing up. Perhaps it's perhaps it's a little wink wink and a nudge nudge that when Harvey Whippleman comes into ninety two to manage him, he's a doctor with a doctor's bag like a George's.
Speaker 3: The horrion doctor is doctor Bruno. He's got a license doctor.
Speaker 6: Of course, he's got a doctor at his side, and so this becomes part of the of the cid.
Speaker 3: STO imagine if he if he if he if uh said, listen, I'll tell you a pal. You know, I'm under a little bit of pressure with the federal government and steroids and whatnot, so I got to tell you something. I'm not a little alarmed. I'm not pleased with the fact that you failed the drug test. You your your sample was shown to have steroids in it. I understand, yes, yes, I know you understand, but said I have to you know, I have to. I gotta let you go pale. But I have a doctor's note. I didn't know that. Great, that's actually tell you what that actually that actually that's a relief. I'm I don't know what else gonna do there for a second, all right, Can I can I see the note? Fine? I really thought he was gonna say no, thank you. Let me say we got to hear the doctor's note. But yes, I hereby prescribe said tune take uh steroids and said, this note is signed by doctor Harvey Whippleman. Yeah, he's Bruno is my doctor. What is what is his doctorate in? Right?
Speaker 6: Pardon me? Said I didn't take him for a for an MD.
Speaker 3: I really didn't, you know. I know we gave him the doctor gimmick, but didn't realize he actually he went for the m D. There, So what is he? What is he? What is he a doctor of? What's his practice? He practices in SID medicine. Excuse me, he practices the medicine of SID Justice. Yeah, well, uh, I say, that's that's very interesting. I uh uh said, I can't. I can't do this. I can't do this. All right, he's not a real doctor, Yes he is. No, he's not. I gotta let you go. I do not authorize myself to go. Right. Well, that's fine, you don't have to author I'm authorized on the fact that you are gone. You're done, You're out of the w w A. I fired you, mister McMahon. I want you to look in my eyes. You have no authority to fire sid Justice. Okay, you do not have the wherewithal the strategic ability nor the legal power to ever dictate what sid Justice does or does not do. Well. Actually, I do have shot.
Speaker 9: I know that.
Speaker 3: That's all I got.
Speaker 6: Oh, Ship, there's never anything to say after that. It's awesome. I mean, what a fucking ride with this guy. This this this doctor is from Harvey Whipplelman. So I'm sure said denies like, you know, manipulating a lot, right, I'm sure he denies all of this, denies using it, denies manipulating drug tests. Here he is to r a video.
Speaker 22: Now at the time, right before WrestleMania, maybe you can put this to rest. W F put out a lot of things saying that you failed a urine test at the time that you were you know that that they were they were giving out urinest with steroids, and that you know that yours came up negative, but they put you in the main event. Anyway, that you should give them a favor for letting, you know them put you in the main event.
Speaker 11: Is there any truth to that?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 9: Oh, a matter of fact, the pissed test wasn't until after WrestleMania. And the thing was, Vince knew exactly what I was on because I told you you know, uh, there was no hiding that, you know. Uh now I was fucking using someone else's pissed putting that bottle to I didn't get caught, you know.
Speaker 11: But the thing about that is, we know, you know exactly, okay, who does and doesn't do steroids?
Speaker 33: And when I was up to the four don't and I was clean and uh never the last time I was there, I never felt the pissed is And but some guys were a lot off, bigger than me and a lot less working out.
Speaker 3: So there is just yeah, someone's going on to I used someone else's piss You just said it. Yeah, he said it. You admitted it right there.
Speaker 2: It's the fan Wrestling Podcast.
Speaker 1: He's a La Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Joan.
Speaker 6: What a character this fucking guy was. He's out of his mind.
Speaker 3: He's such a fucking.
Speaker 6: It's something. It starts to stack up, you know, Like this guy just doesn't stop with this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just keeps going and going like he's the he's the energy energizer buddy of lunacy.
Speaker 6: It's a great it's a matter of great debate. I had trouble finding what the interviewer is referencing in terms of maybe if someone out there can hel help me this idea that WWF, I feel like I remember reading something about how we didn't know all this about Sid's drug tests around Wrestlmania eight until years later. To me, it was like they're probably on some kind of like pr campaign to push back against him or something to where they disclosed this or say this publicly. I couldn't find it, but I do remember kind of vaguely hearing that we didn't know all this until years later. Nonetheless, the question of whether the failed drug test was before WrestleMania eight and they let him go forward anyway, or if a Sid just said it was after. One of the one of the fine arts of this kind of thing is you you you do the test beforehand, but you you see to it that you don't get the results till after afterwards.
Speaker 3: Right, so that you get your big pain. It makes more sense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, people have accused that an mma for years and stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised that gives both both sides can tell their story. WWF can say you know, you you fail a test before Mania, and SID can say I failed it after because it's a matter of when we found out I failed as opposed to WY. The test itself was was administered.
Speaker 3: But that's all that matters, is when you know.
Speaker 6: And then all of a sudden he's had enough of this shit. All of a sudden, he's really accelerating his level of dissatisfaction. But as we'll get to further down the road here in the tribute, even the attack on Arn, when you hear Colonel Rob Parker talk about it, he knew Sid pretty well. The first things he thinks of as to why Sid would be put in such an irritable place was because he couldn't bring a shit with him to England. Remember that episode took place in England, and you can't just as well transport those kinds of substances across the country lines you're going to get found out of the airport. So that was a prolonged period of time for Sid to go without his shit. And just like any other drug, right that you become reliant on, especially one that YEP is so central to your self image and your idea of like your meal ticket, as steroids, if you go cold turkey off them for a while, you become an irritable son. Of a I mean, you're irritable enough on them. A lot of people are let alone when you're being deprived of them. And therefore exactly, you know, your lifeblood to the way you think about it. So he chucked up, Colonel Parker chucks up how violent Sid got in that episode to being you know, weaning off and being anxious and being stressed out about that.
Speaker 3: I mean that kind of makes sense. Actually, yeah, I never heard it.
Speaker 6: Kind of put that way. But that was the first thing he thought of, the first thing he cited in terms of why it got that way. Plus there was some drinking and they've been traving an awful long time on a bus that, as we'll get to that only had booze on it, and they were waiting for their food, and it was just not a good combination of circumstances at all in terms of preventing things like that from coming to a head. But anyway, we're on our way to WrestleMania Aid and whether the piss tests took place before or after the show where the results came in before or after the show, as we all know very well, and it's a big part of why we're here. Sid makes that walk and that WrestleMania eight entrance that really sinks it in.
Speaker 17: If you ask me, see there said Justice Hulk Hogan didn't indicate.
Speaker 3: This would be his life. Jab, I don't care.
Speaker 31: I don't give a damn. How about the liveries of Hulk Hogan. The only thing they remember is that Sid Justice is the man that ined ol Comania. Now you Hogan, AH curse you. I curse you in every Hulk harmaniac because uh, because.
Speaker 3: Uh the world.
Speaker 19: Let's get back to ringside.
Speaker 21: Tremendous challenge for the immortal Hank Hogan, the maniac, the insane Sid Justice hal.
Speaker 23: Comania could all end. Likely in my book, Brain hal Comania will live forever. Let's go down the ringside.
Speaker 11: What'd you ask me, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: This is the second half of our double mad event.
Speaker 15: I'm going to sketchule for one ball, and this time I introduce to you.
Speaker 2: Harvey Whippleman.
Speaker 7: That is doctor Harvey Whippleman.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 7: This is the main event at Wrastlemania, and I'm your announcer.
Speaker 3: Here we fucking go comb on the one on your fat.
Speaker 15: And so respect to that greated man in the world ranting better race side, So respect the man. I know, and da a race back street jacket material.
Speaker 7: You're looking at it.
Speaker 2: Yep, he's not all there.
Speaker 18: He's not wrapped too tight.
Speaker 3: The elevator doesn't go to the top. He's not playing with a full set of cards.
Speaker 8: And Hulk Hogan is in serious trouble. One way or the other.
Speaker 3: Said it was predetermined that he would end the ring. Well he's got and I heard you last week tell him the newspaper.
Speaker 7: Writer you refer to him as psychosis.
Speaker 23: There is right there is lass with the white coats and the big net, a looking lenders guy.
Speaker 20: You bet every a lot of guys and a lot of nets.
Speaker 23: Not very often that the hunks ask the stuff in there with someone as big or large.
Speaker 3: Tear of that himself. But in this case, actually he spent his career fucking doing that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that that was the race was on to find someone that could make Cogan look small.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, that's that's what he always fucking was against people that were bigger than him. That was that's what That's what sold out arenas.
Speaker 6: Which is funny because kind of but like he worked Randy Savage and that did the best business. Yeah, And he was bigger than Randy, he was bigger than Piper, and that did awesome business as well. But I'll tell you that's an entrance.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You watch that building and you watch him make that slow walk, and yep, he carries himself with so much confidence.
Speaker 3: He's spectacular. Listen. He was. He was great. I mean, he was a real he was a legit threat, like I said, he he he Yeah, he scared me. And it was one of the you know, I I remember again not being able to watch the television, you know, like I didn't watch the WRESTLINGIA live, so I had to wait to watch you get the results until uh the following weekend.
Speaker 6: Amazing, you know, that's a long ass time. And during the course of the contest, he looks into the mic and into the camera and gives us one of those lines that he'll be known for for forever.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've never I'll never seen anybody do that. The hot Tim Henry pet that's that choke slam hoes with no hand.
Speaker 8: He shut him down And tell the man.
Speaker 7: That's Omer, it's baby, he's op the media.
Speaker 3: That's ommer. He's done his number. Chuck up here few roll along.
Speaker 30: See we have a sand.
Speaker 7: It goes like death do it to the man, as he.
Speaker 8: Would go on, do you but do it first?
Speaker 6: That's just so Sid, because I'm sitting really does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Like maybe? And halfway?
Speaker 6: Does I know what he's saying? That's the thing with Sid, like very rarely did you have no clue what he was talking about? Yeah, but it was just the word choice was always so befuddling that you were like, wait a minute, did he actually did he unintentionally get me to draw that conclusion and meant to say something else? Do That's the thing you'll never know do into him another man? Is he would do unto you, but do it first? But you just said you did it like you just did onto another man before he could do it to you. So of course you did it first.
Speaker 3: You just said that. Do you want I guess? Yeah, yeah, sure, whatever you say, pal, whatever you say, do you do first? My other do onto some before they do it to you? Do you do that first? Or do you just do the first half first, the second half first, or do you do you just leave it alone altogether?
Speaker 6: That'd be nice. Well, you know, you'd think with this this huge setting, this massive opportunity, this great atmosphere working against the top guy in the business, that Sid would be able to differentiate between WrestleMania and the other shots on the circuit.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 11: Oh, no way, no way.
Speaker 6: This is another legendary thing. He once said to Sean Mooey about WrestleMania eight.
Speaker 8: You know, Sean, this is a deal and I'm not exaggerating. I don't even remember my first WrestleMania. I didn't realize it was WrestleMania. And I'm not kidding you. I never looked at a booking sheet. I didn't care who was working with. I didn't care it was a business to me. I didn't care for wonder the laws. I just wanted to get paid.
Speaker 19: So it was a house show.
Speaker 11: Basically, I'm just Sean just showing up.
Speaker 8: Yes, honestly, you know I got You know, after my first WrestleMania, someone said, you know you were main event Wreussellmania. I said, no, wasn't the He said yes, and I remember that the who's you don't? But I didn't really realize that was WrestleMania. I do remember doing the interviews for it, and because I had that Southern accent, I guess I was saying wrestling mana or saying it the wrong way, and there was a big sign there said tell sid just say mania.
Speaker 3: I mean this guy is something lunatic, something else, like who fucking who fucking says that? Like, I don't even remember my first WrestleMania. I thought was a house show. I mean he I don't know, I don't know. I think he's playing on a few levels with that. I don't believe for a second that he doesn't remember that that was WrestleMania. I agree.
Speaker 6: He's trying to make a point about how he was in this to make money and he wasn't a mark for any particular moment, which of course he was, of course he was.
Speaker 3: Later on if he wasn't if he if he if he wasn't a mark for a moment like that, then he wouldn't have said I want to be Hulk Hogan, I want Huld Cogan spot.
Speaker 6: And later on he talks about, you know, bring filling this building, and he talks about his you know, he's been asked in other interviews of what was your favorite WrestleMania moment, and he tells.
Speaker 3: I don't have one. I don't even remember what Wrestlemnia.
Speaker 6: Was at this wrestleman opponent. He names this without even going into the whole story about how he doesn't remember his wrestling Mania, right, the idiot, Yeah, there's that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think that's that's Sid trying to spin a narrative of him being, you know, all business and and the unsuccess. Maybe there was some small thing where he didn't realize it was WrestleMania to who he's at the building, I just don't having heard him talk about this WrestleMania and a bunch of other interviews, he's never said that except to Sean Mooney. But you only have to say something like that once. Right, that's the Sid story. And so he comes into and out of we know the finish of that match where Hogan drops the leg covers one two and Sid basically the first person to kick out of Hogan's leg drop in WWF yep. And it's a big moment. And there's been a lot of hoopblog because Charles Wright, who was Publishano and ran out during the match, has always said that he missed his He's got a whole story about how he was supposed to have hit the ring before Sid had to kick out. But then you hear Bruno tell it. He said that was exactly what was supposed to happen, and it was in fact Bruno that was supposed to cause the match ending disqualification, not Papa Shango who comes out awfully late for somebody that was expected to hit the ring in time for that finish awfully late. Yeah, And so Whippleman doesn't even say that he was late on breaking up the count. When he explains it, he makes it seem and Sid does too. He doesn't really talk about He's been asked a hundred times what happened in this finish, and every time Sid answers the question, he never mentions Papa Shango being late on the queue ever, and he kind of dismissed it out right in one interview. And when Whoopleman talks about it, he talks about it. It's you know, Sid was basically just a kick out of the leg drop.
Speaker 3: I think that I don't I don't necessarily buy that. To me, that sounds like.
Speaker 6: Someone fucked up and they're trying not to own it.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think they're getting I think Sid gets gets kind of a I cann't you know that by saying that was that that that that he was supposed to kick out of the leg drop. It makes him seem that much, you know, better than they Oh yeah, they booked me to the office, would write, you know, like, I just don't let me tell you this. I just don't think someone kicking out of the leg drop at that point would have been wasted on a moment like that. Yeah, because it is, it's such an afterthought the way it plays out. The crowd is almost confused. No one even fucking really does anything with it.
Speaker 6: And they don't mention it on commentary.
Speaker 3: They do briefly. Yeah, but that's a split second, right, which to me says, you know, they get Vince in the ear. Don't don't don't talk about that that fucked up whatever it was, because when you see it happen with Yokazuna the following year, it's a big deal. Yes, it's a big deal.
Speaker 6: Really interesting. I don't know. I mean, I'll go with Charles Wright as the truth tailor in this because but I don't know with Whippmann. You know, I would think Whippleman would blame Papa Shango.
Speaker 3: Too if that was the case, But I think but not if he's a friend of Sid's. Yeah, and he wants to make Sid look good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, accentually with the idea that the office you know said it said it so that Sid would kick out of a leg drop. I've emver heard Hogan. That's the question for Hogan if you ever see him at a at a beer thing. Hey, hey, when Sid kicks out of a leg drop at wrestling the ate were you surprised or was that was supposed to happen?
Speaker 7: Why?
Speaker 6: Who don't you ask that?
Speaker 3: What's it to you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: What is there a video?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't even remember what you're talking you remember, I don't think anyone's talking about.
Speaker 6: I got the video right here, Terry. No, No, you don't have to take that out, brother, we.
Speaker 3: Got a line of them. I get it, dude. I get what you're saying, brother, I get that you're saying.
Speaker 9: You have.
Speaker 3: AI brother right exactly.
Speaker 6: I don't I know that this is exactly exactly. I mean, deep fakes, dude. Who knows more about that than than a sports entertainer?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm all about deep fake dude. Did you.
Speaker 6: Let's see that phone?
Speaker 3: Brother? No, let me see the phone, brother, what's your phone? We're taking pictures of brother Old Hogan. Yeah, yeah, sure, I came to pictures. I came to take care a photo of you. Why, dude, what do you? What are you trying to prove? Brother?
Speaker 6: Triangle?
Speaker 3: What you're trying to roll me up to? You know what?
Speaker 6: What's next? You want to take a shot behind me?
Speaker 21: Brother?
Speaker 3: What do you? What do you weigh?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: Nine to five pounds? Soaking wet?
Speaker 11: Dude?
Speaker 3: You gonna roll me up?
Speaker 21: Brother?
Speaker 7: Huh?
Speaker 3: Huh uh?
Speaker 6: Trivia question t l f X trivia question.
Speaker 3: What's the best? Who?
Speaker 6: What episode does it appear on? No, it isn't Summer Slam O five, It isn't one of the Hogan headline shows.
Speaker 3: It's the Sid Tribute.
Speaker 6: Where where he's accosting someone for taking pictures of him.
Speaker 3: So good, I had a fucking meet and greet.
Speaker 6: I mean, dude, that's great stuff. So yeah, who knows the mystery that leg drop? But Sid has never leaned into it one way or the other. As far as blaming anybody else, he just says that's how it's supposed to happen. This is also a guy who claims not to remember it's WrestleMania.
Speaker 3: So that was a house show.
Speaker 6: And that's you know, he didn't say it was a house show. Sean Mooney that that's I kind of yeah, people say Sid thought it was a joke. Sid doesn't think it's a house show. Mooney's the one that says that, and he kind of goes along with it. But it's not like Sid volunteers that. And I saw some kind of lazy shorthand trying to recall some hilarious things he said. It's saying saying that, but anyway that that's where it comes from, and that's that is part funny, and it's it's kind of like the Kevin Nash story of how Sid turned down the Hogan's thought to be he It's like, no, that's it's not what Sid said happened at all. He sort of was thrust into being a heel against what he expected to happen. He didn't suggest. So there's trouble. Now, okay, there's trouble. Sid is unhappy. This piss test isn't going to go in his direction. WrestleMania is over and he doesn't win. We know Ultimate Warrior returns at the end of that match to run off Shango and Sid the Warrior who man you talk about a guy who Sid's career is inextricably tied to one way or the other. He gets into that spot prematurely and accelerated because Warrior gets fired. Warrior comes back, and Sid, as we're about to talk about, basically leaves because Warriors back. In no small part, it kind of makes redundant in some ways that position that Sid was expected to fill as a babyface. And then flash forward to ninety six, why does Sid come back boss for the international incident?
Speaker 3: Fucking Warrior?
Speaker 6: Sid gets Warrior gets fired exactly, So this is kind of a weird thing that's developing between Sid and Jim Helwig and no, Warrior gets fired from WCW, and within months Sid's in WCW. As they probably have some free money slashing around that would have went to Jim Hallway. I mean, that's just a position there. But Sid gets a very fat contract to come into nineteen ninety nine, so it's all very deeply funny. And of course, as per tradition, after WrestleMania, the boys go on the European Tour and that's a big long slog and Sid goes ahead and does that tour.
Speaker 3: We've seen stuff from it we've seen Sid Face the Undertaker as we have.
Speaker 6: It's in the archives on one of the Coliseum home videos. So they get back and this is where we pick back up with Downtown Bruno and his book recollecting what It's Like to travel with a cranky Sid After a European tour.
Speaker 3: Five days after we returned to the United States, Sid and I were booked on a ten day run through the Northeast. Sid was scheduled the wrestle Ultimate Warrior for the entire tour. The traffic jams, can ingestion, high prices, and general chaos of the Northeast are enough to put anybody in a bad mood.
Speaker 6: These Southern boys and they're fucking problems with real traffic, man. It's it's like, shut the fuck up about it. Seriously, Oh my god, Connecticut gestion, general chaos, and evidently sent Sid over the edge. I don't have any other explanation for his irrational behavior, or maybe because he's off the juice.
Speaker 3: Maybe Uh. Since first match with Warrior took place in Baltimore, to say the match sucked is probably giving Sid in Warrior more credit than they deserve. We got to see.
Speaker 6: This is an unreleased we need to see.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, I need to see all the this is this was my feud too, like this is a few that I again became a staple for me.
Speaker 6: As a kid, so many you know, expecting anything else.
Speaker 3: Sid and Warrior, like in my Hansber universe, they were at war all the time.
Speaker 6: Amazing.
Speaker 3: It was a constant battle. And I never saw one fucking match, oh never. None of them made it to television. Got to and this, by the way, if you're getting deja vu longtime listeners. We did touch on this part of Bruno's book in the episode we did about the Saturday Nights main Event when Sid turns on Hogan m Truthfully, the fact that they had a bad match wasn't Sid's fault. Warrior was the type of guy who made a great entrance, entering the arena to the sound of loud music, a colorful outfit and face paint. He would bark at the ceiling and shake the ropes sadly. However, when the music stopped, so did his charisma. Warrior had a main event body and a squash jaw brain, which was my expression. My friend Steve Lombardi made up. Steve wasn't talking about Warrior when he used that phrase, but I thought it was appropriate, so I'll use it for this particular story. Anyway. To put it bluntly, Sid, it wasn't exactly satisfied with the match. I knew he was upset about it, but he refused to talk about it. The next day, at the Old Boston Garden Arena, Sid went ballistic in the dressing room after his match. I knew how tough it was to work with Warrior, but I just couldn't understand why he was making such a big deal out of it. He kicked a chair, threw his boots across the room, and scowled. He practically hyperventilated as he changed back into his street clothes. When George Steele, the agent for that show, tried to approach him, Sid just said, George till Vincent Klitton, I'm going home now, get the fuck away from me now. He was livid, and his actions were frightening to watch. When it came to scaring me, his actions took a back seat to what he had to say after we left the arena, Bruno, you're gonna finish up two in the airport and you're gonna fly back to Memphis.
Speaker 7: With me.
Speaker 3: Sid rented and rage irrationally all the way to Logan in an international airport. He talked about how terrible things were in the WWE and how ridiculous it was for him to be working with Warrior. He went on and on. Once again, just like all the times in CWF, I was there to bear the brunt of his anger. I begged Sid to reconsider as we stood in front of the airline ticket counter. I suggested he'd go explain his grievances to Vincent the following Dan Niagara Falls TV whatever, whatever the whatever the problem, I assured him, vinc will fixing for you. Sid would hear none of it. He simply told me to get my credit card and buy a one way ticket to Memphis. Unbelievable, or he would snap your fucking neck.
Speaker 6: Nice guy.
Speaker 3: Not wanting my next snaps, I pulled out my trusty visa and slapped it on the Northwest ticket counter, and without so much as telling a soul from the company, I pulled a hank snow with Sid. We landed in Memphis. Sid into his car and drove home to Arkansas, while I hoped into my truck and drove to Mississippi. As we parted, Sid told me tomorrow call Vincent, thank him for everything, but tell him that you want you want to finish up, then call Lawlor and go back to USWA. As soon as again I'm on ww contract, I'll take you to w CW with me.
Speaker 6: Jesus Christ, no choice in the matter. As we know Downtown Bruno would actually stay with WWF. He goes on his book to talk about how as soon as Vince is frantically trying to get him on the phone, realizing that Sid skipped out on him. And when he does get Berno on the phone, he says, you still want to work here? And he says yes. And Bruno stayed booked for a while and actually worked for the company for years and years and years and went backstage logistics capacity. And I think he's even still there. I'm not entirely sure as to his status, but I mean, you know, he went to manage Kamala the rest of the year, sure did ye stayed on TV for a while, so he didn't follow Sid as he sat out his WWF contract. And of course it being spring becoming summer, you know, people start saying, yeah, you know, Sid's finding a way to get out just in time for softball season. But that that's perhaps the story that uh that that lives in infamy and in the legend and myth. But I might not have all of the the direct support unlike the other one in the w W days when he was recuperating from that lung surgery. I guess Arkansas baseball is a really big deal. We get a note from somebody that said, like the softball rather that it's actually some of the highest level male softball teams in the country play at Arkansas.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, I didn't know there were high level softball team begin with. I guess Sid was was within his rights to take this a little more seriously than I guess he'd you know, take it very seriously. It's just like a you know, it's just like a football player, you know, you know, it just comes to wrestle the off season so different. I can't.
Speaker 6: I can't, you know, I can't deny that. I can't find I can't.
Speaker 3: When you know you don't make fun of Kevin Green for you know, doing w c W during the off season, you know, what's the big deal? Like you should shut the fuck up, right he's a softball player than a wrestler. It's our pal William Webb on Patreon, who writes softball is huge in Arkansas with no pro sports teams except for the minor league baseball team, so college sports are huge and the men's baseball team and women's softball team are highly revered. For what it's worth, Sid probably worked rice fields, as that's one of the few crops that grows. Well.
Speaker 6: I remember him talking about corn, but I don't know. Maybe you're right.
Speaker 3: What's so like? Let me tell you. So I don't understand men's softball. What's the difference between it and baseball, big ball?
Speaker 6: Just the big ball yep, underhand pitching, okay, And I think there's different dimensions to the field as far as how far away the home run is and stuff.
Speaker 3: Or maybe the people who play live in different dimensions.
Speaker 6: It's definitely in the world. He mind, Well, it's definitely a way like I feel like when men get older, it becomes really hard for them to play regular baseball without getting hurt. I think it's I think the dimensions make it easier to play longer. So it's like I always associate men's softball with older people, and I don't exactly know why, but you know, if you're going to start like an old man's league, it's never.
Speaker 3: Going to be baseball.
Speaker 6: It's going to be softball, and it's a soft pitch, so you can really crack the ball. No one's going to get beaned and put on the fucking you know shelf. Sure, sure you can only throw a ball that's that big, that hard anyway. So I think that that's kind of kind of it. And I think the nature of the ball is softer too, But that's just that's what I can do for you there. But yeah, I think I think we can read the subtext in Bruno's writing as to what might be animating Sid. I think I think it's a fair play. I think it's it's no coincidence, it's sd Sid quits the company twice in four months after they institute pissed testing in November ninety one. Yeah, or at least the results come in November ninety one. So all that is to say that no one's better at coming up with a reason to have a big fit and bounce and dip than the great Sid Uty. As for his opponent during this last few outings in this memorable wwfron Ultimate Warrior. He did sit for a shoot interview and did talk briefly here about working with Sid, and I think I think, you know, kind of supports at least the narrative about them going back and forth on how much offense Warrior expected Sid to give to him upon his return at wrestling.
Speaker 25: He eight Sid came in after I left in ninety one, and so we never really got to know one another.
Speaker 27: And he when I came back in ninety two, just like I did when I came back in ninety six with Hunter Helmsley, he just misunderstood I was as a businessman saying this is Ultimate Warrior.
Speaker 11: I'm ultimate Warrior.
Speaker 25: Is this this is the way he's accepted by the people, This is how he is a money maker.
Speaker 11: And he had been the guy.
Speaker 25: He had been the big, tall guy with big arms and big muscles and know, you know, their version of intense character that they had at the time. And when I came back, I mean, I think he was at the least he's you know, his feelings were probably hurt and at the most, you know, he was offended and he wasn't going to go along with what that needed.
Speaker 6: To be done, also reporting that said was officially suspended for a period of no less than six weeks by the w WF for unprofessional conduct, which was an all encompassing term that they used back then, and they didn't want to be specific as to why So left. This is coming after the aforementioned scene were Sid storms out of the Boston Garden after a match with Ultimate Warrior, because Meltzer wrote, he was unhappy either with the way they were going to the finish or the finish itself, and we got all the details there as to what that was about. Papa Shango, of all people, was called to fill in on Sid's spots on these cards that he began to miss pulled from Midwest bookings. Is they were running two different circuits, two different rosters at that point in time. On the house shows. There's apparently some word that Sid was trying to negotiate with Japan Sunday's Tokyo Sports. Meltzer wrote at the time it was the board of that Justice, who was believed to have had more than one year left on his WWF contract, was now negotiating in New Japan, although New Japan's office didn't confirm the story and so Meltzer concludes, this marks the third straight year that Justice hasn't worked during this time of year, I e. Softball season.
Speaker 3: That's insane.
Speaker 6: We close this period of our tribute to Sid and our look back on his life and times with his recollections of this final night in the ww F locker room, of this memorable run that.
Speaker 8: Just that's maybe one of the worst moments of my life working with that guy. I'm not a kid yet. That's when I already gave my notice and I was just trying to get the fuck out of there. And the first time I had to work with guy in Baltimore. As he says, sim will clothes line and clothesline and clothes line, and then you take a power and I'm gonna shake the ropes. I said, no, Jim, I'm gonna come in. I'm gonna stop you. You're gonna duck my clothes line. You're gonna give me one clothes line. Then you shake your ropes and he reached him to the said, well the stars tell us to goy. I was looking around like man, my own candle camera, and that walked down to Jack Landra. This is exact exactly was that. I said, landa you bet get on the phone, called Vince, but said, if I have to work with this motherfucking do this finish one more night, I'm gonna go home and I'm not gonna answer the fucking phone. And that we did in Boston the next night, and that's exactly what happened. I packed my ship up, went home and then't and didn't come back.
Speaker 6: Indeed, he didn't. He didn't answer the call until it was in fact, World Championship Wrestling calling back, and Arn Anderson here he comes.
Speaker 1: As a TJ said, this production its contents is intended for private use only