Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network.
Speaker 2: Hello there, and welcome back to another Thursday. Merry Christmas to everybody, and happy Happy Honda Days to everybody that doesn't celebrate Toyota. Than for the first time on a Thursday night, something that I've been wanting to get for a very long time. We finally have the man, the myth legend, mister Brian Sour.
Speaker 3: Welcome, sir, Thank you sir too much, too much, but I appreciate being here, and I'm sorry it's taken so long. This is how many years have been doing this?
Speaker 2: Uh just over three now.
Speaker 3: Wow, It's impressive, and.
Speaker 2: I think we've been doing that. We've been trying to do this for those three years.
Speaker 3: I know, well, thank you for having me. Thank you for waiting. I know I will disappoint let's go you.
Speaker 4: You certainly will not.
Speaker 2: We have lots of people that messaged me today so they were excited for you to be on the channel. Multiple people already commenting that excited to have you here. You were literally one of the greats, you know, established just the discs as as everybody like started coming to this hobby and I you know, at the time I was immersed in the hobby but not doing things publicly like this, and you were always somebody that we could always look up to. And you know, I've got many fond memories of driving to work and listening to you and Brendan small talk about releases and.
Speaker 4: You and Stephanie.
Speaker 2: Crawford laughing about special features together, and it's it's burned into my brain that the number of times we've spent hours on commutes together.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so nice to hear, man. I got to get both of them back on the show. I've I have lost my mojo when it comes to guests. I haven't done that as much, and I feel bad about it.
Speaker 4: It's difficult, It's super difficult.
Speaker 3: It is. It's hard. Scheduling is hard, and you do it, and so I'm even more impressed.
Speaker 4: It's well, I mean, truth be told.
Speaker 2: I think I've got right now four interviews completed. I just I'm like hoping for free time to edit them. Who knows when they'll come out.
Speaker 3: You are a busy man, sir, and I admire your all your you know obviously the show I love and all the stuff you've your endeavors. In fact, one of them may come up, although I didn't get a chance to check it out yet, but it's as part of a release I may talk about later.
Speaker 4: So nice, I'm excited to hear.
Speaker 2: We're going to cover all of our normal segments, tag over recent watches, recent pickups, do all the announcements, but something that Brian and I have always tried to do on our respective shows is highlight some of the lesser discussed titles, things that people are overlooking. And as this is literally the last show of twenty twenty four, we talk about doing five titles that we think are gonna be kind of forgotten that that came out this year, So we're gonna cover some of those, and then of course both Brian and I always chet, so we've got a couple honorable mentions to talk about too. But first, before we get into all of the fun stuff, let's let's do some promo. Obviously, you've got just the disc that most people probably know about, but Pure Cinema Podcast is like the hottest podcast in the world.
Speaker 4: Tell everybody what's been going on with that.
Speaker 3: You know, it's been a tricky year, exciting year for us because al Rick made a movie and I still haven't seen it, although there is some hope that I may get to see it in February. I'm very excited about that. But yeah, so that changed our dynamic a little bit in terms of we haven't been able to stack shows like this time of year. We normally have a bunch of episodes ready to go, but it's just been a little tricky. But we have our Discoveries episode in the can, and that's one of my favorites to do. We'll have that out in a couple of weeks. And but yeah, it's just it's been it's been fun. You know, started the year hanging out with mister Tarantino at his house talking about the Vista and Technicolor, and end of the year talking about Discoveries and that's just exactly where I'd like to be.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of a perfect year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been fun.
Speaker 4: And during this year, I got to meet you. That was pretty damn fun.
Speaker 3: That was amazing and so cool. And you know, I got to meet Jeremy too, and I've I've hung with Jeremy like at least three or four times since then, and that's been funny. Sorry, he is a sweetheart and he hits all the screenings in town, like he just you know, just about anything. Him and Alex. I've seen Alex at a few screenings too, which has been great.
Speaker 2: Alex is a busy man that he will go to everything he possibly can.
Speaker 3: Both those guys, I'm impressed by how much they get out to and I just don't you know.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's very, very true.
Speaker 2: And I met Stan yes, and we got to see one of the year's greatest films together in a theater.
Speaker 3: Trap so great, so great, But it was a fun experience just Hank going with everybody. That was just an absolute blast.
Speaker 2: We had almost a full row of a big movie theater. I know.
Speaker 3: It was great, man. I love that kind of thing. I miss that. That reminds me of like even in my college days, I didn't have that big of a cruise. So it was pretty pretty cool. I gotta say.
Speaker 2: It was kind of slammed together the last minute, so I love it. Let's do some recent pickups. What have you been getting in lately?
Speaker 3: Let's see what have I been getting in lately? I got something here, you know, I didn't prepare this, but I just got the addiction four K. So that's one I'm trying to think if there's anything there might be a few that I I might almost talk about in the later segments. I mean, you know, that's a spoiler for Sorry, A couple of these are spoilers for my discoveries. But I got the Torso four K. I got that from oh Man. It was a sale, but I can't remember. I got Pores of the Black Museum. I got Bloodline, which I still don't watch. I'm obviously known of these I've watched. This is a weird one. I picked up this DVD based on one of the scare Scarecrow was doing their employee picks and one of the gals there talked about this Lords of the Gourd Gigantic Pumpkin Growers documentary, and I was like, what the hell is that? And it's a PBS on video. It's not streaming anywhere, so it's only like an hour long. But I'm like, I gotta check that out. I think, well, you know what, I think. I talked about this on the show, but I want to talk about it again because it's great.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: I got this from Found Footage Film Festival site. This is Mark Borchart's second movie, The Dundee Project, and it's signed by Mark, which is great, and this one's a lot of people aren't talking about this, you know. American Movie is obviously a great showcase for him. He did COVID, which is sort of highlight in there. He's working on Northwestern, but he actually made this other documentary project about this town in Wisconsin where they meet and talk about UFOs and it's fascinating stuff. You can order this DVD from the Found Footage Film Festival site where you can get a digital download, and it's just as fun as that sounds, with Mark Borchart interviewing dudes who love UFOs, you know, so definitely worth your time. What about you, ma'am?
Speaker 2: I got a couple to highlight here. So I love how every year for my kids to buy me Christmas presents, my wife just tells them, here's his Amazon wish list, do what you want. And it makes me be able to tell great stories, like my eight year old getting me this Criterion release of Rosetta, this wonderful Foign Cinema Verita piece, instead of been dying to see for quite some time and then he won't be able to watch it for years and years. But the other kid got me the in Betweeners movies one and two.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, stuff I haven't heard from.
Speaker 4: Over in the UK.
Speaker 2: And then my wife went to Atomic Movie Store, shout out Atomic, who's great and picked up this deluxe special edition from the UK of Oppenheimer.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, steel.
Speaker 2: Book on the inside and a big booklet. And then the last thing this year started up the Monto Macabro podcast and we had Tim Paxton on, who is an Indian cinema expert, and one of the things that he shouted out was this film called Boot Bhoot put it in my wish list, and because it was at the top, my wife said, I mean, that's a must, and here it is now I get to watch it.
Speaker 4: I'm excited about that.
Speaker 2: And then last thing that came in this week a Bridge Too Far, brand new from Imprint on four K. Other big hard box releases you can see loaded with extra features, multiple discs. You got a big booklet, four K disc, Blu ray disc, pretty nice sized booklet, probably about forty ish pages. I am so to see this huge cast James conn Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Elliot Gould, Gene Hackman, A bunch of people were actually gonna.
Speaker 4: Be talking about tonight in many of our announcements.
Speaker 3: So that's awesome. You didn't get convoy, did you.
Speaker 4: I did not get convoy yet.
Speaker 3: We're hoping for domestic four K of that. That's kind of what I'm hoping for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm you know, Keino is kind of following up most imprint stuff, so I'm I'm betting they'll get it eventually. Just the odds are when and and some of them they can't license in the in the US, so I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's a crapshoot.
Speaker 2: Sometimes.
Speaker 3: I'm obviously also hoping for uh never never any story.
Speaker 2: Oh you didn't pay two hundred dollars for the five pounds?
Speaker 3: I was thinking about it. It looks great. I've seen enough videos that I'm like, oh, that's but I don't really need it. But I would like the movie in four K, so I'm kind of like, I'll wait May.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would love to do it, but also I'm already at a room I don't know, I don't know where I would put it.
Speaker 3: It's huge, You're right, it's gigantic.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things you need a special shelf for, and yeah, I've got some, but like I also have the Columbia Classics collections taking up that space already.
Speaker 3: Did you get the Frank Capra that's the other one people are talking about. I saw Heath praising that on.
Speaker 2: His uh oh, I mean this gorgeous sit thing. Oh, but it's also so uniquely shaped with this little chin that has got going on. So it's meant to be. It's meant to sit on your shelf and literally present itself so the bottom juts out so you can look into it and be like marveled at the show that you're seeing. And it's crazy. Literally when it sits flat, it's it's presented to you. It is such a well thought out design.
Speaker 3: Ah man, I'm really really tempted by that one.
Speaker 2: It's so much stuff. The only reason I have it is one of the the I think it's a front for Alliance Distribution There eBay stores. They were doing a bye to get twenty percent off and it's way cheaper than anywhere else. Oh wow, and it was all any lower than everyone else, so another twenty percent on top of that was like, well.
Speaker 3: Do they still have any in stock? I'm just curious they do?
Speaker 2: They do?
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna have to talk about this later.
Speaker 2: Very good, Very good. Uh, what about some recent watches you've been home without anybody else in the house.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you've been watching quite a bit.
Speaker 3: I mean tons of stuff. I had the most watching. It's it's not necessarily a good thing. Like I'm not bragging about it, because it's kind of like it numbers like this bode the question or you know, make you ask like how much time did you spend with your child in twenty twenty four because it doesn't seem like because right now I'm at like one thousand and fifty eight movies for the year, and that's my most I've ever done. I've never broken a thousand movies.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And like I said, I think it speaks to my mental state. I think there's a lot of things wrong with watching that many. No, I'm okay, I'm not anybody that's doing that is great, But for me, I'm just like, I don't know so well, again, there's some stuff today that I watched that may come up in our later segment, but I just look at what stands out here for me. I mean, you know, Okay, so this is kind of funny. I don't know what brought this on. I think partially because my wife's out of town with my daughter. I told you this story. My daughter doesn't fly. So they took a train to Chicago, which is a forty eight hour train ride, and then one way exactly in a very small room, met you know. Anyway, So they're gone through almost the end. At the beginning of the year, and so, for whatever stupid reason, I started thinking about romance movies. And then I was like, oh, you know, and part of this comes from Thanksgiving, when I watched You've Got Mail for the first time and I actually really liked it. I just said, there's just this thing about me in nineties romantic comedy, Hollywood stuff that I just was so small, snow snobby in college when I was at the video store that I just avoided all of it and I hadn't watched it. And so I made this list of movies that I like, big nineties romantic films, and I started watching some of them. I decided like, Okay, I'll put together this list. I'll try and do one a day. This is something I do sometimes when I'm trying to pass time. In this case, you know, my wife will be gone for almost two weeks, so I'm like, I'll try and do one of these a day, just sort of for my own whatever. And so I watched like I Could Never Be Your Woman with Michelle Pfeiffer and Paul Rudd, who's absolutely adorable in this movie, that one directed by Amy Hackerling. I'd never seen it, really really fun, really sweet, romantic comedy. And then a bunch more on this list. So I watched like Under the Tuscan Sun, which I really liked with Diane Lane, and then I watched this one just blew me. I finally watched The Holiday, which is, you know, a movie everybody's scene, yeah, and I just was like, what a sweet film this is, and why did I avoid it for so long? What an't what an ass to be so snobby as to avoid you know, it's I did?
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: Also, I just you're you're in such a different place as you get older that you're just like, yeah, I got I got emotional watching that movie, you know what I mean, Like that's it doesn't help, but my wife's not here, so like that definitely helped was a part of the emotion. But also it's just I'm so susceptible to this stuff, so I've got a bunch more of those that I've been working through, but those are some of the highlights of that little I like to do little projects. Sometimes we're kind of because Elrick's he's out of the country on vacation right now, we don't really have an I mean, we have a new episode, but I'm already kind of ready for that one, and we don't necessarily know what we're doing after that, so I don't I need to focus on something. So sometimes I'll create projects that may have nothing to do with podcasts and just kind of decide, Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna throw together this list and run down this list. So that's one of the things I've been working on.
Speaker 2: Well, Uh, the only I think the only watch I had this week that wasn't a Christmas movie, which there was many of those that were watched over the last week. Of course, I think a possibly new Christmas movie for many people to watch for years to come. As one that we both watched. You got to see No Sparatu and thirty five Millimeter at the New BEV. I saw it today with the one and only John Demarsco, broadcast director of the Mets. He happened to be in Kansas City for Christmas. We got to go see it together. We're not going to get into spoilers, but it's also a remake of a literal one hundred year old film. So what are some thoughts on the surface for nos Frautu.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't want to be I don't want to be too negative it. I was a touch disappointed story wise, but visually it's stunning. It's a beautiful film that has so many shots that are just so gorgeous. I was really taken with that. But it's weird one because I've seen some people a little less positive, and some people like Sean Baker saying, like favorite movie the year, Oscar nominations for the cast, you know, which is great. I just it was it didn't quite hit me in that that way. I'm not sure. I'm guessing it probably you probably went for it pretty good, right.
Speaker 4: I honestly feel almost exactly like you.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, okay.
Speaker 4: I thought it was gorgeous.
Speaker 2: To look at, but the second act kind of weighed itself down quite a bit. It it got a little dialogue heavy, and when you're going with a very beautiful movie, it is one that you take away from that when you're focusing on the dialogue. I gotta admit Lily Rose Depp did not expect her to be able to act like that. She was pretty damn incredible in it. I was pretty happy with the like last five minutes of the movie, really incredible climax.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was good. That part was good.
Speaker 2: You're right, yeah. But one thing that we were talking about before we went live, this is a very dark movie. And I don't mean like bleak, which it is, but I mean literally, like the screen is black for like a lot of the movie. I'm sort of worried about what this is gonna look like on home video for a lot of people, because it literally will be difficult to make some of the scenes out, and for people that don't have like a really high end O led, this movie is probably gonna be one that they kind of hate the visuals of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there were definitely moments with even this thirty five print that I saw where I was kind of like, what is going on in the frame right now? I think I know, but it wasn't fully clear and clearly that's by design, but it was I was not used to that for a new movie. It seems like they tend to be not blown out because there's all kinds of varieties of lighting and new films. But I haven't come across a new film recently where I'm like, I can't see what's going on here. That just hasn't happened a lot. So very intriguing on that level. But you're right, I'm I don't know streaming it's gonna be dicey and physical. Yeah, very curious what it's gonna look like unless you've got a four K.
Speaker 2: I was already counting out the streaming that was already gonna be bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably not gonna work.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so much more I want to say about it. And the sad part is like seeing in a theater. Yes, it's very dark, so I appreciate it being able to see that, But I also really think it would have benefited from having.
Speaker 4: Subtitles through the whole film. For me, it's.
Speaker 2: There's certain scenes where you could tell like not speaking over each other, but there's like ambiguous words that they could have been using, and it would have benefited a little bit for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the only thing I'll say is that, like leading up to this, I keep asking everybody. I keep asking everybody, are you a which person? Or are you a lighthouse person? I'm a lighthouse person. So when like, for instance, when Sean Fantasy was on our Calendar episode where we talked about this, he said he's a lighthouse person a bit more and he liked it. So I guess what I was hoping for was something a little weirder, if that makes sense, Like it's not that weird, like I mean, it's I don't want to say it's fully faithful. He's doing a lot of interesting things with the narrative pieces, but ultimately I didn't feel like I was seeing anything I hadn't really seen before, right, And that was I guess for him, I want I wanted some weirdness, you know, I'm like, make it weird, man, I know you can be weird and so so I guess like expectations were a killer for me, and I was just kind of like hoping for a little more lighthouse than the Witch. And I don't know which the Witch is weird too, so I'm like, it's more it's more conventional than both in that sense, you know, I mean it is this studio film versus the other ones. Which aren't as much. I mean, what do you make late Lighthouse was a twenty four too, right?
Speaker 2: Lighthouse was a twenty four. Northman was studio, I think.
Speaker 3: And I still haven't seen that, partially for that reason.
Speaker 2: And honestly, I had a lot of the same thoughts that I do about nos frautsu Is. It felt very polished and very not the Witch or Lighthouse. And for a lot of people that might be a good thing, as in it was evolving positively. For me, I wanted something much more like the Lighthouse or the Witch. Yeah, and for me, the Witch is still tops. I think the Witch is like maybe top five from the last twenty years even, but I would say Lighthouse is pretty close, and then Northman is a few notches down, but knows Rautu definitely better than Northmen for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I mean I would imagine, so I'm not. I just have a weird aversion to Viking films. I know that sounds strange because I like just about anything, so but Viking films weirdly don't always work for me, and I cannot explain it. So I haven't seen a lot of Vikman Viking films. I got to give a look at some point. But if it's more conventional stuff, I don't know, it's just like not, it's not high on my list personally.
Speaker 2: And again, like I thought The Northman looked good, just like this looks good.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: It almost feels too polished to a point I could.
Speaker 3: I could see that absolutely, Yeah, yeah, too paused. Too conventional isn't quite the right word because it's pretty it's a pretty dark movie. But still, yeah, it just felt a little more mainstream than I was hoping for personally, but still a movie I you know, go out and see it, because my gosh, the cinematography is just incredible. Some of those shots. I'm like, wow, wow, you know, it just blew me away.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm gonna put you on the spot now, as somebody that is into film and physical media like all of us, what is.
Speaker 4: What is the thing exciting you about physical media right now?
Speaker 3: What is exciting me about physical media? That is a good question, and a very broad one at that, and.
Speaker 2: It's meant to be, you know, as we're as we're coming to the end of the year, you could apply themes to the year. But as somebody that's done it for years, why do you and I still do it.
Speaker 4: What excites you about this?
Speaker 3: I think what excites me about physical media in part I mean a lot. It's tough because a lot of the stuff I'm collecting I have seen. But for instance, one thing that I wasn't necessarily going to bring up because I don't know where it stands in terms of, you know, being celebrated this year, but this Whistler box set, the Columbia and One number six probably hands down my favorite physical release of the year, and part of that has to do with this. I didn't know this series of films, So discovery is a big part of it for me, and finding new films is a big part of it, or seeing older films with a fresh eye and a new transfer. Very nice, yes, weird version of Viking films indeed, but yeah, so discovery is always like that's I think that's what drives me about movies in general, is discovery. As much as I love to collect the things that I love and rewatch those, I'm always kind of looking for new stuff. And thankfully we have a lot of boutiques out there that are throwing stuff our way, like you know, radiance. I know, like two percent of the movie that they you know, like nothing, you know, and same thing with Monda Micabre and some of these others. And that's enough even to be almost overwhelming to me to the point where I'm hesitant to pull the trigger even sometimes on stuff, even though I am driven by this. But yeah, I don't know, there's something about I think classic film getting physical releases is really a big deal to me, you know, like forties, fifties, sixties, seventies too. But yeah, the older stuff, I just kind of love to see it pop up on physical But finding a finding a set like that Columbia Noir number six set for me, was just such a highlight this year. I was like, wow, I just love these movies. And you know, so that's definitely one thing I think that drive What are the things that drive you? I mean there's the other thing is there's so many great folks doing special features, you know, doing commentaries, doing video essays, doing featurettes, doing interviews, and it has been has been neat to I mean, you know, we obviously hear this thing. The whole all the time of physical media is dead. LG is not producing Blu ray players, the sky is falling, et cetera. And it's it's definitely not going away like it's it's definitely becoming more you know, niche, more niche than it was. I mean, that's something that's been said a lot. But what we're getting is just a lot of people really paying attention to presentation. And the only downside to that is that prices are going up and up and that's a little difficult to be a casual collector at these price points. So that's it's a mix. But but unfortunately for me, it's like do I want it to go away?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I don't, So I guess ultimately you just have to set aside a little more, save a little more, maybe buy a little less of the stuff that you really want. So I mean that does pull some of the discovery out of it, because if you're gonna blind by things, those would be probably last on your list, whereas the things you know and love would be higher. So that's going to push people away from discuss Unfortunately, I'm just started talking myself through this, but but yeah, you know, it's it's been an interesting couple of years, and it's been neat to see just how much great stuff has come out and how much is getting talked about. How much isn't getting talked about? It's there's just too much. It's an incredible schmorgasbord, if you will.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The other thing that goes into blind buying, at least for me, which I know has always been a thing for you because of who you've you know, given attention to and really aligned your taste with, is kind of just that like finding somebody that you know that you can trust their taste. Like you and I both have an affinity for Jonathan Hertzberg's taste absolutely ninety seven percent of the time what he puts out is going to be something that I go, damn, this is a binger.
Speaker 4: This is perfect. And that's true for.
Speaker 2: Me for Monto Macabre and a couple other labels now blind buying from those I feel a little more comfortable with. But then you look at somebody that I've been let down a handful of times, I'm like, oh, I spent four thirty five dollars and I thought this was garbage. That you're You're less likely to do those blind buys of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it is tricky, and when you get stung even once or twice, especially at those price points, it really does make it hard to be adventurous, which is something I would love people to be more, you know, but I get it. It's expensive.
Speaker 2: So Hilton is wanting to know if we collect audio commentaries. Is there anybody that you every single time they do a commentary you feel like you want to own it.
Speaker 3: I don't know about every single time, but I'm sure as hell a a Kim Newman guy. I mean that is he is one of the greats for sure. You know what the problem for me is that I'm so busy watching stuff that I don't have as much time to go through some of the commentaries that I'd like to go through. So when I do find something that I really want to check out, sometimes I'll end up just having to rip it to an audio file so I can listen on my commute so I can like find some time to absorb it. So I don't get enough time to listen. But but Kim Newman is definitely high on my LISPT. You know of folks that I love to collect their stuff. You know, he's he's amazing. You know, whoever they pair him with Stephen Jones or who's the other one I'm blanking on right now he's off in Parabi.
Speaker 2: He's done a few lately. It seems like he's moving more towards like the visual essay side. Unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, Yeah, you're right. I just heard one with him. I think actually it's in one of the discs. I'm want to talk about nice that that was pretty cool. But yeah, no, he's definitely one. I don't what about you. Do you collect specific audio commentaries or I.
Speaker 4: Mean there's a few.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan of when certain genres are covered by certain people. So if it is a classic Hong Kong film, I want to hear Frank Jang talk about it.
Speaker 4: Probably he has.
Speaker 2: I mean, he speaks very quickly, so he's hard to understand sometimes, but that is a good thing because the amount of information he gets out and he focuses on some things that no one else seems to focus on, and that is kind of translating two English and to twenty twenty four what was happening in the film. So there's sometimes where jokes are made that made sense in the language in nineteen eighty six but mean nothing in twenty twenty four. And he'll literally translate not only the language, but say, well, here's the context on why that line was so funny and why it's in the movie, And that sort of thing is pretty incredible.
Speaker 3: No, I like that. That doesn't happen very much. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Another big one, Sam Degan and like Eastern European cinema is somebody that I feel like is a matchmate in heaven. She's done quite a few of the Deaf Crocodile releases and her commentaries are legendary on those for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Alexander Heller Nicholas is another one. I'm a big fan of her writing and her audio commentaries. She's pretty awesome, so you know, and she and her tastes and mind tend to a line in terms of the stuff that she does, so I always tend to get the stuff she does because it's usually a movie that I want to have anyway. Yeah, she's pretty awesome too. But yeah, there's so many great people doing I don't want to make anybody feel bad by not calling out names, because there's so many great folks doing commentaries, and I know how hard that is. Eerick and I got offered this is sort of a behind the scenes We got offered a commentary and we had to sort of back out because we realized we might not be able to do it properly. And that made me feel really bad because we didn't want to let the person down and we really liked the movie, but we just realized there was not enough real estate for us to really talk through the full length of the film. And I don't love to do something like that. Half asked it just it felt like, especially because this would have been in our first solo commentary. We've only done really one other commentary, and we were just kind of not even moderators, just kind of in the background on just hang it out with Josh and oh who was who was in the commentary? Oh, Larry Karrazuski. Josh and Larry were talking about Dark of the Sun and we were there at Josh's house just on Mike commenting. So that was easy because they mostly drove the drove the car. But we yeah, we would have to do this ourselves anyway. My point is I respect the heck out of those like yourself who do audio commentaries because it is so much work and more work than people realize, and it's definitely not I mean not to be unkind, but it's definitely not worth the money that is currently paid for it, you know. So it's got to be a labor of love, and so it really has to be a movie that you absolutely adore or you have a lot you really have some passion about. Oh yeah. Image in Sarah Smith. Absolutely, she's fantastic. Absolutely love her. I mean, commentaries are great, but I love her interviews. I love anything she does. So and she's great on Classic the War like she's really she's really up there for me. She's she's wonderful.
Speaker 2: Let's see, Uh, any any trends that you see being big for physical media in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Trends? Hmmm, I mean, I don't. I mean a lot of four k's.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's that's a good that's a good question. I don't. I don't know. I'm just seeing a ton of four K releases. I think that's the biggest trend that I can spot. What are some that you've spotted?
Speaker 4: Probably four K.
Speaker 2: But also I feel like we're you know, not just not just some of the giant titles that we've got in the last half of the year, but I feel like we're finally gonna start seeing some of those we never thought this would ever come out on HD. Gonna get released, and it's gonna be more and more and more of those because they were successful. And when you can sell I mean, when you can sell fourteen thousand copies of The Keep in thirty seven hours.
Speaker 3: Or whatever, Wow, was it that many? I had no idea what it was.
Speaker 2: It was twelve thousand limited edition, and then they sold a couple thousand standard edition in that time.
Speaker 3: Crazy. It's physical media is not dead, folks. That's a lot of copies. That is a lot of copies.
Speaker 2: Funny enough, I have a title like that in my Honorable Mentions tonight because it's not one that we can say is gonna be overlooked, but it's gonna get overshadowed. And I think that's an important distinction to make true.
Speaker 3: No, I agree with you, there's definitely that was the I guess that's one of the hard thing for me.
Speaker 2: A lot of my.
Speaker 3: Stuff is just movies that I like that I feel like they're not gonna get mentioned because not because they're not good disp but because some people don't know the movies. I guess, you know, like so you know, that's definitely and that's like you say, that's just something you and I like to do, Like what are the movies we love we love to talk about, So that definitely entered into my thinking with this stuff. But but yeah, that is exciting to see so many films we just didn't think we're ever gonna make it to not only get a Blu Ray release, but to get jump over that and get a four K release. Yeah, that is definitely a trend getting a movie that, like you say, we haven't seen before on Blu Ray in the States at least, and having that be also a four K release. Paper Moon, for example, I didn't put that on my list, but that had a Masters of Cinema release, which I had, but now it's got a nice four K from Criterion, which is very exciting for me.
Speaker 2: Criterion had like fourteen titles come out in twenty twenty four that everybody is kind of just quiet about at the end of the year. But they were all like, this is happening finally, and that that is amazing for one label. And the sad thing is it's going to get overshadowed because Vinegar Syndrome did all of that in one month. In November, they put out, like five titles that never should have been on disc and suddenly we have them all.
Speaker 3: No, it's true. I mean, like Gummo Happiness, you know, the Albert Brooks movies, Risky Business. I think almost is one of those that I didn't. I mean that one obviously been out, so that's.
Speaker 4: Born on the fourth of July.
Speaker 3: Oh shoot, yeah, yeah, yeah. There's tons of stuff that you write Criterion. I didn't put any of their stuff. I'm a little I gotta say, I'm just a little bit down on them, only because and you've talked about it, BEFO for the lack of extra any kind of extra supplements when they do an upgrade, it's just too bad. But I also get that it's a business. I'm not, you know, trying to be overly critical, but I mean, thankfully, when you get a title like you know, a real uh real Life for instance, then yeah, Pat Garrett, that's a good one too. But but at least they have some stuff to draw from with something like that, you know. But but mostly when those four k's come out, they're getting they are getting some new features with them, which is cool the way when it's not an upgrade.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Stephanie Crawford.
Speaker 2: There she is.
Speaker 3: Oh, hello Steph. Very nice. Awesome to have Steph in the chat. Yeah, no, she's right. It was an incredible year. We really are pretty spoiled in terms of just how much great stuff came out. In fact, there's way too much to talk about in any one episode, in terms of like I did my usual three videos for In fact, I think I did more last year, but I felt like there was as many or more, And and part of putting this group together of stuff that's overlooked. Some of it is stuff I've talked about in other videos, and then other stuff was like, oh my god, I forgot that. Oh could I've forgotten this? You know? And so some of those will be like questionable. Did they get mentioned enough? Because that's the other thing I haven't seen enough. Did you do a top ten yet? Because if I you did, I didn't.
Speaker 2: See it yet. I've I've been hesitant because everybody for the Shelf Shock Rewind Awards is nominating titles right now, and I don't want to color anything or make it seem like I'm giving out some of the.
Speaker 3: Bol So No, that'll be great when you guys do that. That'll be cool because that always is a good indicator of what you know, was liked by people, and and so that'll be that'll be cool. But yeah, I feel like some of my go tos, I haven't seen their their videos or I haven't heard their top tens yet, so I guess I don't have my finger on the pulse as much. Yes, the Iraqi set also a big one, huge to get that finally. Uh and the hitcher my God, Yeah, I mean that. I mean that's one that I that I wasn't going to bring up because I feel like we've been waiting so long and in our circles everybody knows and was excited and but I mean totally lived up to everything I hoped it would be. I mean just that, you know, the interview with see Tommy Howell alone is pretty pretty fantastic. He's he's an interesting dude and and he's got a lot of stories that are pretty great. Just that and then of course how great it looks. But yeah, I mean, just like that, that's another example of a movie that like, is it gonna happen? We weren't sure, and oh wow it did and it's amazing. So yeah, incredible, really twenty twenty four is pretty great, you know. Like I gotta say, I'd probably give it the edge over last year. And that's exciting because you know, it still feels like there's stuff in the tank in terms of this, you know, and I hope that it continues, I really do. And I believe that the physical media community is strong, just going on a place like Blue Sky and seeing how physical media posts blow up, you know, like just another article came out today about physical media that people are posting about, and that to me really speaks to how how folks feel about it and how they don't like the idea. Oh yeah, I mean looking for mister Goodbar obviously, you know, uh, that's incredible. Never thought that would happen. But but yeah, just the the way things are going seems positive to me, and I want to kind of stay in that mindset really just celebrate. We should just be celebrating at the end of a great year like this. You know, everybody be happy with what we got, because it was a really killer year. Just so many titles like you say that I just never thought we'd get never you know.
Speaker 2: Well, and on the stay happy point, my the only other trend I want to bring up is the fact that Terry's here saying, well, it's not my bag. Never Ending Story is a mind blowing one too. I think that we see I don't know, a thousand people worldwide willing to spend one hundred and eighty five dollars on a single release. Yes, it's like one of our biggest childhood movies for many, many, many, many, many many people. I get that, But how many other films are gonna suddenly start charging one hundred dollars for one movie and say, well, you paid one hundred and eighty five for Never Ending Story.
Speaker 4: This one's a pretty big movie too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that is I don't necessarily love that, but yeah, I'm wondering if that's gonna again be part of the price of collecting moving forward. Is them the boutiques deciding to really make it a big deal, right, I have one hundred Oh my god, really make it a big deal when they put out something like that, so that you you can sort of justify the cost a little bit more, right, you know, I guess in your head. I mean, I've seen people go through that set. It definitely feels like one hundred and eighty five isn't terrible for all that you get with that set, And like I said, I'm still not necessarily willing to do that, but but it's not like they're ripping us off, you know, right, So.
Speaker 4: It's an all good point.
Speaker 2: I think this is probably a good point to transition over to announcements.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: First up, this isn't really a physical media announcement, but for anybody that didn't see, I dropped a video last Friday with Damian k Lahy and for all those that haven't listened or watched, there's a giveaway attached to that, so make sure you go give that a watch before too long and get in on the giveaway. Cool. But first up, this week we got some air announcements. March third, four K release in the UK. They're doing Dressed to Kill from nineteen eighty and this is going to have a new commentary by Drusilla Adeline and Joshua Concle that you may know from an incredible podcast that I've been talking about for a lot and actually advertised in the magazine earlier this year. And I really hope people will pay attention to this one and check it out because it is you know, it's unfortunate that we are many of collectors that are buying dual places, you know, over the UK, over the US, Australia, and we'll get three different releases and you may already have one, but then another one comes out and you're like, well, I kind of want that part too. It's hard to pick up both of them. But if you've never heard the name Adeline or Adeline, I'm not sure how she pronounces that. This is sister Hyde, an artist that is involved in a lot of releases she has done. She did the bound cover for Criterion this year. There is all kinds of stuff that you can find their work on. But they also are from the Bloodhouse podcast and they're incredible on there, so I may get this one. Unfortunately, there's a new visual essay by b J and Harmony Colangelo on this as well, a new visual essay by Jessica Kretz, a whole bunch of archival extras on this, And they were saying on Twitter, I think it was that they supposedly have improved on the Keynote picture quality. It's the same scan, but they've done some things to make it a little bit better. I need to do some more research on that. But that's how they get you, because this is like one of the best movies of all time.
Speaker 3: No, it's great. It's one of Dipalma's best movies. Yeah, now I'm and when I saw it come up, I did kind of go damn it, because you know, obviously the extras are a big deal, but also Erro tends to do it better than most everybody, and and so it's always a bummer when they come out second or third because then I'm like, shoot, do it?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, no, I'm very very tempted by this one, very very tempted. I might have to do it too, damn it.
Speaker 2: Next up is The Terminal Man, coming on Blu Ray in the UK on March tenth. This is gonna have a new audio commentary by Howardsberger and Steven Mitchell, new visual essay by Josh Nelson, new visual essay by Howard as Berger as well, and then some archival extras on this and a collector's book with new writing by Guy Adams. Lots of stuff coming for this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a fan. It's an interesting one. I don't think it fully fully works for me, but I love George Siegel in this period, and it's a really intriguing movie. The idea of a man as a time bomb. It has a great suspenseful quality to it because if you don't know, basically he's got this implant in his head that's supposed to help him. Can we get rid of lobbit cards and have thicker books. I'm actually I'm on the fence there. Like part of me like totally agrees with that. Also part of me kind of likes lobby cards, although I have to admit that I don't do anything with them, and they just end up taking enough space in the case. So like I'm a little torn, but I might I guess I might agree with that. But yeah, So, like he's got this thing in his head and he has this cycle that he'll basically freak out and kill anything he's in the room with at certain intervals, and so you're kind of watching him. He's wandering I think it's San Francisco. Maybe he's wandering around the city, and so when you realize the time is coming when he might have an attack, you just immediately like, oh my god, this person he's in the room with has no idea and he doesn't he can't even control it, so he will go from just having a nice conversation suddenly just freaking out. So it's yeah, so it's a really interesting dynamic of tension about it. But I have the Wonder archive Blu ray, which of course doesn't have anything on it. So this is a little tempting. I gotta say a little tempting too. I'm torn. I'm torn.
Speaker 2: Totally get that one. Let's go to the next one, which is a masterpiece. They are doing Don't Torture a Duckling from Luccio Fulci on four K. This is coming on March twenty fourth in the UK March twenty fifth in North America. Now the hard part, unlike what we just talked about with Dressed to Kill, as far as I can tell, this has nothing new on it except for the four K scan, which this is my favorite Fulci film, and I guarantee it will look incredible on four K, but nothing new. That's kind of difficult. And then the hard part. They're doing the UK and in the US, so we can't even say somebody else will do a better release.
Speaker 3: Oh shoot, yeah, yeah, this one's tough. I'm a fan of it, definitely. I totally get it being your favorite. I tend to lean towards sleazier ful cheat personally, but like, it is quote unquote one of his best movies, you know, like and I don't mean quote unquote like not objectively, like it really is one of his best films and one of Elrick's favorite. Yeah, Sam's right, it is one of his best and I get why it's people's favorite. So, like, I'm still tempted, but I got admit, I haven't watched my Blu ray of Don't Torture Duckling since I bought it, which is stupid because I think I've watched the Anchor Bay DVD a few years before that Blu ray came out, and I haven't felt the urge. So that's another thing that comes into my head when something like this happens. But it's pretty tempting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a damn good movie. If you don't ever, if you've never picked up Don't Torture Duckling, obviously this is the way to go.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean, if you're an Italian horror fan, like please just do yourself a favor. You won't regret it. It's very solid stuff. One of the best Italian horror films full stop, you know.
Speaker 2: Easy, easy sentence to make there for sure. Next one is play It Cool. This is from nineteen seventy, coming on March third in the UK, March fourth in North America. And this is the director on this is Yah Suso Massamura. They they've done a few Masamura films before, but never this one. I think this is one that they had trouble with elements for a while or something. This is gonna have a new commentary with the one and only Jasper Sharp, who's great on all of these, another great commentator for not even just Japanese but like a lot of Asian cinema. He will be joined by Anne McKnight's we got a new visual essay on this and the career the writer director by Mark Mark Roberts. And then we've got a collector's book would be writing by Earl Jackson. I am unfamiliar with Earl ja work, but I mean this looks like a pretty easy pickup to me. Pretty soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is one I don't know anything about, so I'm very curious. It does intrigue me, but yeah, just to be a blind buy, but yeah, it definitely looks really interesting to me. For sure, and Erro I trust. I mean, if I had to really lay it down, I don't know, I'd still be hard to say for sure. But Arrow is definitely top two or three labels for me, like all time in terms of the amount of stuff that I must have from them and the amount of misses they have, which is almost none. Like, I really can't think of too many things that I was excited about from Arrow that didn't deliver.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: And they had a great year this year too, I mean movies that I won't mention, but like narc and Simple Plan on four K amazing, you know, and great releases, you know, And those are just a couple of the things they did this year. I just got Demolition Man in the mail. I'm not even that big of a fan of the Demolition Man, but it was an Arrow release and it's a four K. You have it somewhere there, I'm guessing, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was trying to find it there.
Speaker 2: It is nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I almost watched that yesterday. But yeah, I mean it's just like when they do something and then the shoscope sets, like I'm just so far behind watching those that I didn't pick up the new one. But obviously I saw Dave at Snips Movies, Yeah, did his list and he put that on their rightfuls. So Dave Wayne put it on there, and yeah, I mean it's those are great sets. So I mean, anyway, not to get too off topic on ero, but the reason I trust them is because they do such a good job with their stuff. So that's the reason that I would consider this one, even not knowing anything about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, after talking to James Flower on the show, there's there's a lot of people that are you know, very much draw a line in the sand and say after the Hut Group purchased them, everything went downhill. And I don't truly agree with that. I mean, it's it's clear that they they definitely went for some more commercial titles, which you can say is a good thing or a bad thing, And I would totally understand either argument.
Speaker 3: There when sale, sorry, when did that sale happen?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, that was probably only twenty twenty two or twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Even interesting, I see, I see the demarcation there a little bit. But they haven't really, I don't want to say they haven't disappointed me. I mean, there are definitely months where there are, you know, months where their slate comes out and I'm a little less excited, But there's almost always at least one title that I'm like, well, there's the one I gotta get. And I can't really say that for that many labels, you know, they don't always I mean, Keno does it differently, so they're just constantly bombing us with stuff, which is great. And there's one of my all timers in the list for today that I was super excited to see get a four K upgrade. But yeah, I mean in terms of like the ones that do monthly announcements are almost always has something that I want to check out, I want.
Speaker 2: To get, you know, And then, like you said, Keno announces twenty three and damn it, you'll like at least one of them exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean their average is actually a little higher than I would have considering how much they nownce. It's higher than that for me.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean literally last year, I think they were three or four short of two hundred and fifty titles for the year gos like I think it was two hundred and forty seven. Wow, And with that happening, yeah, I mean, even if you like I don't know. Even if you like thirty of those movies, that's a pretty significant number compared to most other labels.
Speaker 3: I mean, based on that, and when I think about it, I definitely own more Keno than almost anything because of just how much stuff they put out and how much how much of it is actually pretty cool stuff, you know, especially the stuff they're upgrading. Put that one up again. What was that comment? I'm sorry I.
Speaker 2: Missed Erica from Unsung Horses. Today I learned that Brian's ancestors were hurt by vikings and he doesn't use the three seashells.
Speaker 3: These things are both true well.
Speaker 2: Titles from Arrow that everybody wanted on four K. Let's talk about Deep Blue Sea from nineteen ninety nine, getting a four K on March seventeenth in the UK March eighteenth in North America.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I haven't pre ordered it yet, but I probably will. I gotta say.
Speaker 4: It's a fun movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, this is one that was interesting because I I remember when I first started working at the video store Laser Blazer. Yes, that seems like a wasted opportunity. We you know, Deep Blue Cy was one of the first DVDs that I remember coming out, so I think it was even one maybe they gave away with players. I can't remember it. I can't remember it was pretty early, but it was definitely one that we watched on the TVs all the time, and the Sam Jackson demise is certainly unforgettable. I'm wondering how this is gonna look in four K with some of those digital I mean, it wasn't something I thought about until this moment, but but I do love shark movies. I have a weird affinity for shark movies, so this seems like something I would have probably end up getting.
Speaker 2: You know, this is one I kind of want to wait for a review from somebody that is a stickler for the technical side of things. Mm hm. I definitely want to see what people think because the CG in this looked really bad in DVD and Blu ray. The funny thing is it won't be worse in four K, obviously, but everything else around it being gorgeous will make it look worse. It's true, and so it's definitely something I'm worried about. We watched this uh as part of my Patreon we do a watch along every month, and we watched this one I don't know, a good eight or nine months ago, and it was fun in a group, but I just don't know if I need it with four K.
Speaker 3: It's a fair point. It is definitely more of a group watch kind of movie than than watched by yourself kind of movie. In fact, yeah, I would if I was gonna watch said, I would finitely want to watch it with my daughter or with somebody, right, you know, it's definitely that kind of movie. I just watched Driven by the Way for the first time. Oh nice, which is interesting. You know, I guess I don't mind. Renny Harland actually had a small Renny Harland run because I rewatched Diehard too, which did not hold up as well this time for me as before. But yeah, Driven was interesting. Definitely not great, but interesting.
Speaker 2: Deep Blue SI gets a new commentary by the screenwriter Duncan Kennedy, another new commentator by somebody you know, Rebecca McKendree. We got some archival interviews and commentaries on here, and then some new interviews, one with the production designer William Sandal, a new visual essay by Trace Thurman, some archival featurettes, optional commentary on some directed deleted scenes with Rennie Harlan and then a sixty page book with new writing by Josh Utato, Jenny Kermode and Murray Leader, plus some previously unseen production art and designs.
Speaker 4: That's pretty fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great package.
Speaker 2: A lot of stuff coming from this one, and I hope it makes people happy, because I know it's a lot of people. It's like one of their I hate using the term guilty pleasure, but guilt.
Speaker 3: Yeah whatever, so bad, it's good those terms. I'm not a fan of either, but you know it has a very loyal fan base, you could say absolutely.
Speaker 2: Next up is one from overseas. In the UK, the BBC is doing Doctor Who the Collection season seven from nineteen seventy and they're just slowly churning these out. They're not really going in order, but there is a punch in this package. Check it out. There's also some other new Doctor Who things available on Zavvy. I'm trying to do some research because there's not a lot of info out there yet, but I will be posting those as soon as I get some more. I know, just in case you're wondering. They are doing The Savages, which is gosh. I think it's from nineteen sixty six and they're doing a steel book for it that you can pre order now. But more info on that to come.
Speaker 3: Check out the Big Brains on Sharks looking at the comments.
Speaker 2: Next up is is a replacement program. Last week I talked about that people were reporting a visual discrepancy on looking for Mister Goodbar. Looks like they will be putting a replacement out. If you purchased it from Vinegar Syndrome, they will be giving you a replacement disc on their own. You don't need to sign any forms or anything. However, if you bought a third party, you're gonna want the replacement disc. You got to email them and show them your proof of purchase and you will get that replacement disc.
Speaker 3: So what's so does it freeze up? Like? What's the hang up?
Speaker 2: There's some visual glitches that happened for just a minute, and it's it's not very long, but it's super noticeable.
Speaker 3: You haven't happened for you, Oh.
Speaker 2: It's literally for everyone.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It is in the digital file on the disc and oh, the sad thing is no go ahead.
Speaker 3: Well, I thought it was maybe it was saying certain players, certain people, but it sounds like it's.
Speaker 4: Not that yeah, it is. It is not that.
Speaker 2: The only big thing I believe, let's see, if you have Dolby Vision enabled, is when it shows up. But if you don't have Dolby Vision, it doesn't happen. For a good four K disc. Most people are wanting Tolby Vision enabled, so that makes sense that they would replace it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And I'm glad that they're doing that. They've stopped a long time ago with the like you gotta write us and let us know, and they're doing the automatic that's just so much more the right thing to do, you know, which is great.
Speaker 2: So got to bring up though there's a lot of people upset with the and I'm gonna put some people on blast here but not by name, the people saying they need quality control, Like none of these labels are testing for quality control. What's your take on how we're getting seemingly more and more disc replacements and errors happening right now?
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know. I mean, I guess I want to hear your take first, because, like I'm I feel like it's relatively consistent in terms of how much we get. I feel like we had a really bad run of several years ago where there was like camera, it was arrow, but there was a bunch of replacements from a bunch of different labels. It feels like it is just part of the process now kind of. So I'll say it doesn't bother me that much, especially when they get right on it. But yeah, how do you feel about it where you stand on this? You think there's enough not enough quality control? I mean, clearly they have quality control. I'm just curious how some of these things get by. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a couple things here. So first off, this definitely varies by company. Some of the companies that I work with, we are you know, we'll have three different people do QC on everything on the desk two or three times, and then the authoring company also does QC on it.
Speaker 4: And that's a lot.
Speaker 2: That is a lot of eyes on a lot of disk and it takes a hell of a lot of time. The other thing is I do this announcement show every single Thursday, and this is the lightest week of the entire year, and there's still like thirty one announcements that were going over.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I didn't I was leaving that many.
Speaker 2: Wow. And on an average week an average week, I'm hitting about seventy to seventy five.
Speaker 3: Wow, and that is crazy. Those numbers are staggering, even though I've I live it from week to week and just hearing those numbers is really kind of shocking.
Speaker 2: The first week of every month, I'm I'm hitting somewhere between ninety to one hundred and fifteen every single first week of the month.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the other thing is you're also covering global because you cover everybody, and that's you know, if you go to Blu ray dot Com obviously, if you put the region on you, you know all you can catch everything. But even they don't catch everything, so you're really you're really hitting everything that's coming out, and there's a lot and a lot that doesn't get One of the things I love about you is that you're covering labels that I've never even heard of, you know, consistently put out interesting stuff. So I love that about this show. Anyway, that's a lot of titles, so I think there's something to that, just a glut of titles. And how based on the number of titles, the average is still relatively low in terms of these problems. I think you know, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, I would agree with that.
Speaker 2: It's also there's a couple things like it's it's not really a big deal to get a replacement disc. The problem is when there's an issue and the label doesn't admit it and they try to hide it.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that I have seen a few times, and that is discouraging. And I get that it's a tough thing for their bottom line to be like, oh man, we got to redo this whole thing, and we gotta mail all these it's expensive, yeah, but I mean, you know, you're charging a premium price. You want to make the customer happy. You can't put out something shoddy, and you know that's tough. When they don't admit it, that that does bother me. You know that does bother me. And yes, there are people out there that are nitpicking and maybe their specific player has some kind of an issue that you know, that can't be dealt with on a grand scale, And I get that that's difficult. But when it's clear that there's a lot of people having issues and they're still denying it, that's a bummer. It's definitely a bummer.
Speaker 2: The other big thing is we are such a niche community now that there are there are multiple steps in creating all of these discs, that there are legitimately only like five high quality places in the world. Oh yeah, literally that perform that action, whether that is manufacturing, whether that is authoring, whether that is encoding, whether whatever. Like there's a few things where there's literally five or less places in the world that complete that action. And with that happening, and you know, even averaging seventy titles in now a week, that's almost three hundred a month. And if you're relying on five companies to do three hundred every month, Holy shit, that's overwhelming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a lot. That's a lot for anybody to I honestly can't believe those five places can handle the workload of all that's coming out. Like, that's pretty incredible, you know.
Speaker 2: So I this is one of those things that I don't want to sound a bit like looking down on other collectors, but I do want to say, MA, ask some questions and be a little slower to grabbing pitchforks when a replacement disc happens, and sometimes it is warranted, especially when there's a problem in the company does not admit it, but honestly, the replacement program should be a good thing. You should see that they're willing to admit it and fix it. It's the silent ones that's the bigger problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and do they give you notice certain labels that are more hesitant to admit their mistakes.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have.
Speaker 4: Are we running for the next announcement?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's go ahead. Let's go ahead. We don't want to call anybody out that you might be working with. So that's that's okay, let's keep going.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, i'll a'll fully admit.
Speaker 2: Like Keno Larber has had two or three major public fuck ups like that they have. Uh, the biggest one was, uh, they'll even say it now, I think, so what we can all talk about it? Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia. They put that out and they advertised it as the newer arrow Blu ray scan that had come out, and so people expected that in the States, hey, I'm finally gonna be able to get this ANUHD scan that everybody said looked great. And then when it came out it was still the old scan and they went, no, it's not Nope, it's perfect, don't question us. And then finally they said, you know, okay, it was the wrong file here you go, but that sort of thing, like it's not it's not okay to just straight lie like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I mean, it's it's not going to help you later. It's just, you know, I know, it's hard sometimes to admit that stuff, and you have certain folks that don't want to to put themselves on the spot like that, and I get it, but it's tough. You just kind of have to suck it up at some point. I'm not not Keno specifically, but just when these mistakes happen, it's tough. It's tough, I get.
Speaker 2: It, but Kenos specifically. Yes, got a question in the chat, what is currently the best option for Alfredo Garcia. I believe it's still the Keno Disc, which is newer than the Arrow disc. It might have less special features, But for those of you that are reason.
Speaker 3: Logged, doesn't that seem like there's got to be a four K bub Land somewhere?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 3: I mean it just feels like it's it's still an MGM title, and I know they're not always the easiest to work with from what I've heard, but yeah, that still feels like fairly accessible material. Yeah, so I'm kind of hoping for that because I'm a big Alfredo fan.
Speaker 2: Four months from now, that Blu ray disc is already four years old.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is that's actually what's fun. I guess if there's another trend, it's the upgrading too soon after the Blu Ray release, and four years is actually surprisingly Oh the Imprint's good too. That's good to know, Terry, thank you. The you know, that's four years is axt kind of a long time and that shouldn't be the case, like that should be sort of the norm. But four years is actually quite a long time from a Blu Ray, so it's about due for an upgrade.
Speaker 2: It feels like I'm gonna be honest, I forgot Imprint did that. They did it in September of twenty three, and I think they do have some exclusive special features and it's region free, so go for that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's a double diss set too, right, I mean multiple Yeah. Yeah, that's a good I have that. That's a good set.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Then on Blu Ray, Wrestler's Rhapsody from nineteen eighty five coming on Blu Ray from a four kse gan of the OCN. This is a Tom Berenger joint written and directed by Hugh Wilson. I've never seen this one, but it sounds like you may have love it.
Speaker 3: I'm a big fan. I talked about this. We did two. We've done a few Western episodes, but we did like a pre and post Wild Bunch. We used that it's our demarcation point, and this is in my post Wild Bunch. It is a really fun spoof, but it's also it's not quite like airplane style spoof. It's a little bit more narratively driven than those films, but it is also really funny. So I love this. I think Tom Barrage is great in it. He's becomes this sort of self aware, you know, hopol On Cassidy kind of singing cowboy character, and and it's bizarre, like he eats this root and it makes him it's like Popeye shit, and it's bizarre. But I'm a big fan, and I know it's probably not gonna happen, but boy, I would love to hear Hugh Wilson talk about this movie. I just am so curious because this is and I think I figured it out at one point. This is probably his you know, cash in the Chips movie after Police Academy, and so you know, why do you make that choice? You know? And I love that he made that choice. Obviously he had an affection for old westerns, you know, not not even just like Sergio Leoni, but more like the serialized, singing cowboy western kind of stuff. And that's such a specific choice. I just I'm always fascinated by those choices that directors make after a gigantic success, you know, like Soderberg making Kafka, you know, and stuff like that, where you're just like, I'm pushing all my chips in on this, and I'm like, wow, that is cool, because those movies don't get made unless you have a big success. So I'm always kind of fascinated by those that come out after a big success like this. So it's a lot of fun. I think you'll dig it. I'm pretty sure you're gonna have a good time. And I'm just excited that more people will see it now that it's coming to Blu Ray. So big thumbs up for me.
Speaker 2: All I heard out of that is you thought the plot line and airplane was trash?
Speaker 4: Can you explain? No, no, no, I'm getting.
Speaker 3: More narrative, just a little more narrative, that's all.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's see. Yeah, the cast alone is pretty great on this one.
Speaker 3: It looks like, hmm yeah, very good cast too.
Speaker 2: Uh Nexti'm next, imagine not apropos nothing. Has anyone heard whether any other retailers will receiving copies of arrows the Keep? I think you mean vinegar syndromes the Keep in the coming weeks. Yes, Diabolic DVD is getting something in. They should be going up soon, but they're probably gonna sell out in like twenty six seconds.
Speaker 3: So yeah, definitely keep an eye on their socials real close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they will be announcing something on it soon. Jesse was posting about that today. Prophecy from nineteen seventy nine getting a four K from Keno here soon. This is a big one, directed by John Frankenheimer. I know that there's a lot of people that think this movie is awful, But there's a couple of things I'm excited about. One is, as you can see in the comment on this post here, everybody on like all the vinegar syndrome social media is always guessing that a Prophecy four K fits all of the clues they're giving. And now we can stop speculating. Keino has it. Vinegar syndrome will not be putting it out now. The other thing, this movie is actually really great. This has like one of the most fun kills of all time in it. But what do you think of Prophecy?
Speaker 3: I'm a fan, definitely a fan. And oh, man, who's the director? Is it Tom Everhart? No, I'm blanking gosh. There's a great story that was on el Rick's old podcast Killer POV where I want to say it was like Tom Everhard or somebody somebody that went on to direct movies was the guy in the bear suit and he is like giving. He has a great story about giving Frankenheimer like directing advice while in the suit on the set and Frankenheimer surprisingly not losing his shit on him publicly, like taking him aside and losing his shit on him. But Frankenheimer's a notorious yeller, like a guy who did not suffer fools at all.
Speaker 2: You get it.
Speaker 3: You listen to him talk for five minutes, You're like, Oh, this guy doesn't fuck around. He's not gonna listen to some idiot in a bear suit telling him what anyway. So that's those stories are great. But just that Frankenheimer made this eco horror, fucking bizarre movie is fascinating to me. I'm a fan of basically everything he ever did, and this one, Steph very nice. Oh the Eureka release, oh shit, I didn't even I miss that completely. I only had the scream.
Speaker 2: They did that shortly after they did Kujo. I think, oh.
Speaker 3: Damn, well, I'm guessing Keno's probably not gonna get all their extras to now. I gotta go look at what that has on it. Thank you, Steph. Legitimately fantastic. Yeah, yeah, no, and it is. It has got some cool scary moments in it. Like I'm just a big I mean, as I've talked about on my shows, animal attack films are just a sweet spot for me. So whenever a new one gets a blu ray that it hasn't been out before or in this case of four K, I'm super excited and I'll be talking about it and watching it as soon as it comes out. Yeah no, this is. This is very cool. I mean it Some will say it's a little cheesy in spots and such, but you know, ultimately, I don't know. This and Orca both have a sort of similar like mother defending baby kind of thing. That's kind of going on that I kind of like in these eco horror sort of movies. But but yeah, it's it's super fun with an attack vikings. I would actually watch that, Aaron would. I would definitely watch animals attacking vikings, but it have to be definitely a heavy animal attack on the vikings.
Speaker 2: Well, and I'd like to know going into who wins the vikings or the animals.
Speaker 3: Because I got to see the animals would have to win for me to be really on board with.
Speaker 2: It, exactly toted, Uh, this is pretty exciting. March twenty fifth, Paramount putting out Tommy Boy on four K for its twenty or no not twenty thirtieth anniversary, and that is a huge deal. And if you don't like the steel book on the same day, you can pick it up on standard four K as well. We don't know if there's any new features yet. I don't think that was revealed on Amazon, which means probably nothing new.
Speaker 4: But I mean, it's Tommy Boy.
Speaker 2: I know there's a lot of people that would want to talk about it, but it's a studio release. They're not known for reaching out to scholars or anything, so I.
Speaker 3: Mean, does David Spade want to talk about it in twenty twenty four. Probably not, Probably not, which is too bad because I'd kind of love to hear him talk about it. Yeah, like it's a classic, it's super adorable and fun and yeah, I've been a fan for a long time, you know, I've been a big fan.
Speaker 4: Gotta get it for Farley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely one of his best and plenty of quotable lines for sure.
Speaker 4: All Right.
Speaker 2: Our next one we are seeing on February fourth, Film Masters doing Monster from the Ocean Floor from nineteen fifty four, another Roger Corman joint that they're doing. They've done quite a few of these, and I'm glad we're getting them. They got a brand new four K restoration from the OCN on this new commentary by Tom Weaver and the Weaver players. Wow, I want to know who else is with them on that.
Speaker 4: That is great new.
Speaker 2: Interview with Justin Humphries on the career of Bob Baker and then archival interview with the producer Roger Corman about his early career, which will be a great archival interview. I'm sure we've had it elsewhere, but they'll be an illustrated booklet with an essay by Tom Weaver as well film Masters. They do a lot of really fun work. Have you checked out many of their discs?
Speaker 3: Not enough? To be honest, this is the year when I started to check them out. In fact, spoiler, I have one of their discs in my not talked about enough stack.
Speaker 4: I almost grabbed one too.
Speaker 3: And you know what it is because you saw my picture. But but yeah, they the creature with the Blue Hand is one that I'm really been circling for a long time and want to check out. But they really seem to do right by the restorations and the extras and kind of I don't know, like I feel like they're flying a little under the radar. Yeah that too, Like I'm considering everything that's coming into these Yeah, see Terry knows what's up. Like it's it's These guys are good. They're really doing a nice job, and I want more people to check out their stuff because I'm just now getting into it, and I feel bad I haven't been able to highlight them as much as I would have liked to. So this this seems like something I totally want to check.
Speaker 2: Out the biggest thing and I don't want to. I hate telling people by this to support it. But this is one of those things that I feel like I kind of want to say that for because frequently, on not all, but many, many, many of their releases, they'll do a four K restoration with bonus features on like a feature and then throw on a B side that doesn't have a four K restoration, which will also get new bonus features. But what's crazy is on release day you can get it for under twenty dollars.
Speaker 3: That's pretty awesome. And the fact that they're taking sometimes public those notorious public domain titles, yeah, and cleaning those up, and that I know is a tough, tough scenario because oh freebies through their YouTube channel. Didn't know about that. That's cool. I guess their YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: They do visual essays and then I think they release full like full film restorations on there.
Speaker 3: There's something people need to do. Subscribe to that channel and get a sense of what they're doing before you buy, if you want. But everything I've I've I've got a couple of their discs, and I've been very impressed with the work they're doing so far. They're like an up and comer for me in terms of stuff that I want to start checking out. And each of these new titles, you know, I want to say, like every other title they announce is one I want to get, and not to say that I don't want to get the ones I'm talking about the others, but they there's just lots of interesting Like Salt of the Earth is so different from Monster from the Ocean. Couldn't be more different, and they're doing so they're doing that, and then they're doing one like the title I'm going to talk about later that's different than this. So it's not just old classic monster movies, which I totally get why they're put you know, putting their sights on these because this is stuff people will buy. But they're doing more than that, so just keep an eye on them. I would say they're great work. I mean really not substandard by any stretch of the imagination, Like really really solid stuff. So check out film Masters, is all I can say.
Speaker 2: From my point of view, I agree fully. Next one, we got some details. March eleventh, Kino is releasing Best Defense from nineteen eighty four. This is when they announced last year. We finally got a date and some features on This is gonna have a new audio commentary by Alan Spencer and Justin Humphreys, And I think it's hilarious that they went with the alternate poster for this. This is slightly different than the original theatrical poster art because I guess when this came out, people come planed because Eddie Murphy was featured heavily on the original poster, and they realized that this isn't an Eddie Murphy movie.
Speaker 4: Really, He's not the feature.
Speaker 2: So people thought it was a bit of a bait and switch. But uh, I I've never seen this one.
Speaker 4: Have you seen best defense?
Speaker 3: I have, and I don't remember being too fond of it. I remember being kind of a misfire because I was a huge, I mean still am to a certain degree Ednie Murphy fan, and so I was seeing anything and everything that he had to put out, and I felt like there was just some where they just I mean, yeah, he's not that in it that much. And I think, so you go, and I think there's all ultimately, And I love Dudley Moore too. Actually, you know, like it is kind of but like it is a little bit unfairly abused. Oh fair enough, stand fair enough, all right, I need to rewatch it. I'm not gonna, you know, with statistic star Any Murphy. Yeah, I think that's all makes sense. Like I just remember being deeply.
Speaker 4: It's a great descriptor terry deeply or.
Speaker 3: I love it that that's should have been on the cover, should have.
Speaker 4: Been what's I shirt? Do you wear? Brian extra medium?
Speaker 3: Extra boring? Yeah, no, I I I gotta rewatch it. If Stan says it's it's abused, I need to rewatch it. I I do like Dudley more enough that I want to kind of give another look. It's really been a long time, Like I literally haven't seen it since VHS, so there's no way that my you know, old ass brain has any real memory of you know what it. I just remember probably being disappointed there wasn't more Annie Murphy if I if I'm honest, like that probably was it, but like couldn't couldn't tell you a single stitch of the plot. So like, I really don't it's gonna be a new to me movie basically what I watch.
Speaker 2: That, to be fair, that's what I feel like many of these, Like I I could have sworn I've seen some of these movies twenty two years ago.
Speaker 4: I can't tell you in a single scene out of some.
Speaker 3: Of them, No chance for me, no chance.
Speaker 2: Well have you seen the Triumph of sher Lock Holmes or Silver Blaze? Also coming from Filmmasters as part of their Archive collection. This is coming on February fourth, And with the Archive collection, this is essentially what it's called the Archive collection to save these, otherwise there's no reason to put them out. They're not doing any special features. They will have close captioning, but that is it.
Speaker 3: So this line is it's more of the classic film titles. Is that also what I'm getting, not just I mean saving them, and but older than the Monster.
Speaker 2: Movies typically sometimes but even on their regular line, they will do some of the older ones too if they think I more deserving. Feels like a weird qualifier there, but something that they feel like they can do more with. And the big thing is these probably will not have four K scans. These will probably just be whatever they could possibly get to archive it on physical media.
Speaker 3: I mean, I respect that I don't know either of these movies. But again I'm so getting excited about film Masters and what they're doing that I'm kind of open, you know, like I don't know if it's a day one purchase. But I'm definitely curious because I like what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My big thing is film Masters is the same company that used to be Film Detective, and they put I.
Speaker 3: Can ask, Yeah, I thought that was the case.
Speaker 2: They put out some of the Sherlock Holmes films before, and I don't remember if these were involved in that release or not, but the Sherlock films they did before, they didn't look great. It was not like a high quality release. So I'm kind of betting these are probably the same thing, just to get them back in print anywhere.
Speaker 3: Interesting. That's an interesting speculation, and you're probably right.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just think sir.
Speaker 2: Next Universal putting out were Wolves from twenty twenty four on Blu ray only on February fourth. This will have a deleted scene, some trailers and subtitles, but if you're thinking it's a brand new film, Universal will probably release it on four K later. I can almost guarantee that because on January two third, you can buy it on four K from Germany from Cape Light Pictures. This doesn't have any more bonus features, but you can get it on four K from overseas before you get it on Blu Ray in the country that it's from.
Speaker 3: Two questions. One, Cape Light. I don't know. Have you gotten any of their stuff?
Speaker 2: How is it? Cape Light is quite good. They have worked with MPI Media Group in the US to release some of their stuff. They're this oddly global brand. They've been doing some of it. And the title that you probably know them most for is blood Sport. They're the ones that did that blood Sport four.
Speaker 3: K, which I've considered a few times.
Speaker 2: Do you have it? I've got a couple versions. If you want one of them, I can probably send you one.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks great on four K. They do pretty well with packaging. They do a lot of media books. They're the same ones that did I think it's Hanseling Gretel the old twet years that I don't remember.
Speaker 3: But like a two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: No, old old like sixties, sixties something.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what that is. They don't even know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 2: They've done quite a few of those media book type releases to give special attention to some of these titles.
Speaker 4: They're the ones that.
Speaker 2: Did oh gosh, there was another big title that they just did in the UK, but yeah, they regularly do stuff in the UK and Germany, they'll do stuff here. It's it's really interesting what they're getting their hands on.
Speaker 3: That's cool, Like, I appreciate your your insights because, uh, I don't know some of these the Germans labels. I mean, it's not like I've had bad experiences, but you just never know sometimes, and so it's cool.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I just only heard of this movie, like in the last couple of weeks, so I don't know anything about it. I do like Werewolf movies, but I don't know. I can't speak to its quality at all.
Speaker 2: This is a weird one, and I don't know why this happens. But I swear once or twice a month one of my posts on Facebook that's just a regular andnounce post will go like what I call viral. For me, it's viral. And there was, you know, about a day. Let's see, I posted this three days ago and so I think it was Christmas Eve. About every three and a half minutes, I was getting a new comment on this post the entire day. Wow. It now has like fourteen hundred comments on it, and most of them are either this movie is such a great entry into the Werewolves movie Cannon or this is the worst movie I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's great. Can glean nothing from those two poles, really, so I don't know what to take away.
Speaker 2: From one thing that is surprising. This supposedly leans very heavily in practical effects, which is pretty rare. Like that.
Speaker 3: Definitely like that, Okay, No, I mean I'll watch it. I'll definitely watch it at some point. I'm not going to shell out for physical release until I have some idea what I'm getting into. But that's that's very intriguing that Universal's got this deal with overseas distributors or whatever is happening where you get a four K before you can get their Blu Ray domestic.
Speaker 2: Well, and now we'll probably get a four K from Screen Factory in like August of next year or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that could happen, all right.
Speaker 4: That is where Wolves.
Speaker 2: Next up is Sonic three, the big theater hit again. You can get this on four K Steel Book standard Blu Rain DVD coming soon. You can already pre order the Steel Book. And this is one of those movies that is a shockingly huge hit. And I could see the Steel book selling out long before this ever gets released.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a tough one for me, not tough at all. Actually, I'm I'm pretty good friends with one of the writers of this, so it's one of those things where you know, I'm not fully unbiased. I saw it in a theater invite from from him from Josh to go and hang with a bunch of people that he knows, and I had a drink with him afterwards, and so, like, you know, I'm so happy for him. I'm just so happy that Josh Miller, my friend, is got he had the number one movies in the country and such a good guy. Like I'm just a big Josh is just a great dude. Like I'm just a really big fan of him. He showed me something that I know you would be fascinated by. I can't remember which disc it was, but he was showing me this picture he had on his phone either somebody had sent him or something where it was like an old special feature from one of the Sonic discs and they had him and his co writer Pat Casey sitting there and they misnamed them. He's like, this is how much Hollywood respects writers. He's like, I know this isn't Hollywood, but this is so perfect because their names were switched and I'm like, oh, it's not a joke. He's like, no, that wasn't a joke. They didn't bother to check who was who, and they just put the wrong name on. And I just thought that was so funny that I got to go find that special feature. But he's like, yeah, this is the kind of respect we get in Hollywood. My avatar is actually a Sonic dude a good friend Drew and which, oh that's really interesting. Wow, I wouldn't have would have come. Yeah, But so anyway it was. I thought I had a lot of fun with it. I'm you know, I'm kind of aged out, you know, of these kind of movies because my daughter doesn't watch them anymore. Although she was, I did rub it in her face a little bit that, hey, I'm gonna go see Sonic with the writer of Sonic because she went on this trip and she's like, Dad, that's not cool, you know, So I think she will want to see it. She this is kind of a franchise she's grown up with, so I may end up getting this because of that. Uh, but it's super fun if you haven't seen it, KENU. I mean, come on, it's and you know Jim Carrey in a dual role. I fucking love dual roles. So I legit get the Sonic least if they had writer director comedies commentary. Yeah, no, I'm I'm I want a commentary from Josh. Although Josh has done a ton of interviews. If you look on YouTube, there's a lot of folks interviewing those guys there. They've been really made themselves available for interviews and stuff. So I'd love to get a commentary from Josh just because I think he's I mean, he's a podcaster that I like. If you don't listen to his show, best Movie's Never made, I highly recommend it. It's him and my friend Steven Scarlatta and Steve and I go way back, like Steve and I go back to I mean fourteen fifteen years we used to listen to Gentlemen's Guide to Midnight Cinema together and I just I saw Steve at the screen anyway, great podcast, but Josh is great, so I recommend anything he's involved with, So definitely pick this up. It's it's super it's super fun, it's a super fun family comedy adventure movie. You know, like it's a fun series.
Speaker 2: Need to see it. My kids keep asking for it. Next one up is Levels. This is coming on March fourth on Blu Ray from RLJE. This will have a behind the scenes of Levels, a trailer, and a descriptive audio track. Supposedly this is actually supposed to be pretty good, even though I heard literally nothing about it all year, But this is coming out soon.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is one. This is occasionally. I'm a regular haunter of the Voodoo Fandango at home, like Tuesday releases, so when new stuff gets announced on Tuesdays, I'm actually checking it Monday night at nine thirty to kind of just see what's up. Like I bought the order just came out this week, and everybody's talking up, have you seen the order yet?
Speaker 4: No, we're gonna talk about it just a little bit.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, Well I haven't seen it yet, so I'm that's one for this week that I want to check out. But I saw that pop up and I'm like, oh, people just keep talking about this. I got to check it out. So this is what I'm getting is I saw this pop up and I was like, what is that I don't know. It looks interesting, but I have no data, no confirmable data about.
Speaker 4: It, nothing at all.
Speaker 3: Zero.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Next is February fourth a Walmart exclusive four kse steal book of Blade, the original from nineteen ninety eight. This is literally just a reprint of Steel Book. This is one that sold out pretty quickly when it went at best Buy, I believe, and you can get this pre order now.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen this in a minute, so I'm due to rewatch it very soon.
Speaker 2: The rumor is we might get two and three on four K this year. Exciting, so if that's the case, you know they're going to give us a one two three set. So I'm not clamoring to get this, but yeah, yeah, cool. Another one of those Evil Dead rise getting a reissue of a Steel book. This is coming on to February eighteenth as a Walmart exclusive. Now, the big thing is it looks like this carries over the exclusive bonus features that were released in the UK and not on the US disc. Oh, there may actually be a reason to pick this one up if you are super into the Evil Dead franchise, which, if I know everybody watching most of you probably are.
Speaker 3: And I am too, but shamefully have not yet seen Evil Dead Rise. I'm embarrassed. Oh I just missed it.
Speaker 2: Is what it's first off, it as one of the best title screens ever in FILD like that. It's good. But to me, it didn't feel like a true Evil Dead.
Speaker 3: I think that's kind of the vibe that I got from a lot of people and part of the reason I didn't rush to see it. But I like to support new horror, and for whatever reason, it didn't, you know, it just hit at the right time. Had it hit like this year, Let's say my daughter is now into horror in the biggest like in fact, most movies I can't draw her interest in at all. But we took her to see Long Legs. We took her to see Maxine. We took her to see And That's not really horror, obviously, But and we took her to see Oh, Shoot Cuckoo at the Vista this year. And so this had come out this year, I would have taken her to see it. So if another Evil Dead movie comes out in twenty twenty five or twenty six or whatever, I'll probably be more likely to see it. Evil Dead Rise feels like Evil Dead meets Demons. Well, I mean you are selling me with that. I did hear that it. I do like demons too. I love apartment building horror.
Speaker 4: You know. The cod is great for that aspect.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like I but I get what you're saying, like that doesn't to me. Ring doesn't say evil dead movies, you know, But so I do need to check it out. The visionary producers of the original classic.
Speaker 2: So Stan is asking the original classic, what the fuck? It's in tiny print from the visionary producers of the original Classic, which just means Bruce Campbell was there giving some money to it, and Sam Raimi, of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should see it. I want to see it. It's just like I fall behind a new horror pretty easily. And with al Rick. The other thing is I think Alric liked it. I can't remember his take, but I kind of with the new stuff, especially, I'll lean to him and be like, you know, what did you like when I have a moment to watch a new horror movie? And again he may have said he liked it, but I may have. In some cases, even he can't override the general vibe that I'm getting from people, which is it's okay. You know, which is fine, Like I want to see it. I should check it out. But it's exciting to me when we get a this is a domestic release, right and they're bringing over UK like features. That doesn't seem like that ever really happens.
Speaker 4: It's not super common.
Speaker 2: But the original release of this came out first in the US, and then they released the Steel Book in the UK, and that one, like it felt like they were getting the bonus features ready and the US disc like time to turn it in just came and they weren't ready, and so they put them on the UK disc and people in the US that already bought it were just sol oh wow.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm glad it's they're getting another opportunity if they want or those that waited, I guess that's cool.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of getting another opportunity, a company that has not had a lot of opportunities to keep some people interested in quite some time, Culture Shock Releasing is back in February. They are releasing from Grave Faced Distribution. For all of those that forgot, they're literally a tear Vision partner label. Oh. They're putting out Late Night Classics Volume two, which includes Assault of the Party Nerds, and Assault of the Party Nerds two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, didn't know there was a second part to Assault of the Party Nerds.
Speaker 2: It came out six years later.
Speaker 3: That's why Hobby Petting Detective Okay interesting.
Speaker 2: Nineteen eighty nine and nineteen ninety five. And this is a pretty stacked release. For the first film, we got a commentary with Michelle Bauer Richard Gabby, and then we've got production still, slide show, some bloopers, trailer, b movie Awards with Ronda Sheer, all that stuff. But then the big thing. Disc two for the second film includes the introduction with Ronda Sheer, commentary with the same people behind the scenes, and the USA Up all Night appearance with Ronda Sheer and Richard Gabby. That is incredibly rare.
Speaker 3: How did they clear that?
Speaker 2: Even's the great great question.
Speaker 3: Because I mean, I've never heard of that being included in a disc, right, were that kind of thing?
Speaker 2: And then on this one they also have a third disc which will be the soundtrack from both films, and from what I hear, that might always be included because the person that took care of the whole soundtrack is like really proud of it and once it always included, So I don't know if they're going to do a standard edition without the disc, but you can get this now with the slipcovers supposedly selling fairly well. We'll be shipping in February on Blu Ray.
Speaker 3: This is one I always confuse with Killer Nerd the Trauma movie. Yeah, so I never saw either, Weirdly the Nerd the nerd trend of movies in the eighties, like somehow missed some of them, and so I don't even really know. Very nice Maddy, Yeah, I don't even have a take on this as well. If Steph pre ordered, then shit, I guess I gotta I gotta think about this.
Speaker 2: Damn the other big thing and I this is not to induce fomo. This is if you're even remotely interested in this. One thing that Tear Vision is doing is I don't even know what they're calling it, but it's like introductory pricing. So the first week of this movie is going to be a special lower price if you pre order. So right now it's twenty nine ninety nine and in a few days it'll go up to thirty two ninety nine. It's not a huge jump, no, but it is an incentive to buy now.
Speaker 3: It's good to know. And that's why I love your show man. You know, you saved me a couple bucks here and there, like that's that's important. No, that's important. And damn it. This was definitely not what I was thinking. I was gonna have to pre order for whatever reason. But now the soundtrack. Weirdly, I didn't even know what the soundtrack is, but for some reason, it seems like it be fun. So yep, shit, all right.
Speaker 2: I kind of want it. Yeah, this is this is a big one. And for them to come back, I mean their last release was A Night of the Bastard and that was like, oh gosh, shipped last February. I think, oh wow. I mean they got announced as a partner label of Terror Vision in August or September of twenty twenty three, and this will only be their second release since then.
Speaker 3: Wow. Interesting.
Speaker 2: This is a big return for Culture Shock. Hopefully they can be at least a little more consistent over the coming months. As somebody that knows some of the titles they have, they've got some great stuff.
Speaker 4: I would love to see some of their stuff get some good love.
Speaker 3: So okay, well that's I'm very curious because I'll be honest, like, the amount of culture shock titles that I needed when they were a Vinegar Syndrome Partner label was maybe fifteen percent. It was a very low percentage. And they started out with maybe one of their best titles, which is Girlfriend from Hell. Yep, And it was for me. I'm not trying to be a dick. It was just kind of all down hill from there in terms of some of the stuff they were doing. But I'll be honest, there's some of those that I don't know. I ended up getting American Scream and Game of Survival I think, And did they do No Resistance?
Speaker 4: No, that's Saturn's core.
Speaker 3: Saturn's core, that's right. Okay, So I guess that's maybe the only three of theirs that I owned, So this would be four if I end up getting it.
Speaker 4: Girlfriend from Hell is great.
Speaker 2: I just for some reason, I wish you'd got a little more like Assault of the Party Nerds, a little more sleazy with it. It was, I'm with you, it was the perfect eighty vibes, but man, you needed just a little more edge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like it's gonna be edgier than it is.
Speaker 2: You're right, absolutely, Uh, it's weird transition. But speaking of Edgie, have you ever seen The General's Daughter? March eighteenth, Kino is releasing The General's Daughter on four K. This is like the dad movie of all dad movies. No new bonus features on this. We got an audio commentary from the director that was done years ago. The Blu ray disc has some behind the scenes, alternate ending, deleted scenes, stuff like that. But as you're looking at this, you got the five point once around and new four K scan and that's pretty much what you would buy this for.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to remember, does this have any kind of a Rashaman plot device thing going or am I thinking of Basic?
Speaker 4: Though I don't.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't call this rasha moan like, I don't think, But it's been a long time since I've seen it.
Speaker 3: I remember hating it when it came out, but I feel like I watched it again and I was like, Okay, I don't hate it, right, but I'm I feel like I also conflate it with other movies. I only saw Basic for the first time. Okay, I couldn't stand this way. I do remember really being turned off. Is Terry's on fire tonight? Yes, that's probably a good, good way to put it, Terry, if I need something to knock me out, some Benadryl and or General's Daughter and I'll be good to go. I think, Yeah, I know, I'm not. I can't say I'm particularly excited about this one, although I'd loved it. Speaking of Basic, I'd love to see Basic get a. I think it has a blu ray, but I think it's out of print. I only saw that for the first time this year because my friend Ben David Grabinsky was on blank Check talking about when they did McTiernan, and I was like, what the fuck is this movie? And it's not. It's a flawed movie, but it's really interesting and it is Rachamon like so anyway, not to get that's also Travolta, which is why I'm sidetracking from General. True anyway, Yeah, not as psyched about this, but for those General's daughters fans, those two of them, they'll be really excited that this is coming out.
Speaker 2: I likewise, I don't remember liking this all that much, but I remember my dad loving this, So I've always just thought of this.
Speaker 4: As a dance movie.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious, that's funny.
Speaker 2: All right, Going to the next one, We've got Black Sheep the partner for Tommy Boy. This is coming out on four K from Keno Lober, which I'm kind of surprised Paramount just didn't do both of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why not do a double? Seems crazy that they I mean, it is a step down from Tommy Boy, no question, sure, but it's still pretty funny if I recall it that this is one and I again that I have seen like once and was like, oh, it wasn't Tommy Boy. I don't need to come back to it as much, but now, weirdly, i'd kind of be almost nostalgic for it. I almost want to watch it now just because I don't remember, and I'm always in the mood for something that will make me laugh these days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the cool Thing.
Speaker 2: New commentary by Penelope Spearus on this moderated by Simon Abrams. Penelope Spearus has had some incredible titles come out over the last handful of years, and I mean she she does great when she's speaking about them.
Speaker 3: I'm not a huge huge fan of hers, love her stuff. It's been great to see most of her movies get some kind of physical release, you know when even when just like Dudes came out. I was like, I never thought this was going to get a physical release. Same thing with Suburbia. I mean, if you haven't seen both of those, definitely check those out. I think those are both Shout factory releases.
Speaker 4: Yes, I believe so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, she's great. So that's really the fact that she does a commentary just up my interest in this release for sure.
Speaker 2: All Right, that is Black Sheep. Next up, incredible Christmas movie, The Silent Partner, getting a four K release from Keno soon. We don't have a release date on it. This is One starring Elliott Gold, Christopher Plumber, Susanna York directed by Darryl Duke. Really like one of my favorite Elliott Golds. This movie is incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of the best Christmas movies for me out there. Curtis Hanson's screenplay and a truly unhinged performance. Yes, Stan, that's the proper response. Truly unhinged performance from Christopher Plumber, Like if you watch I always say, if you watch sound of Music in this movie, it will fuck you up, man, because he is so fucking evil in this movie. And for those who don't know, it's also got an early John candy in a small yah but yeah. Elliot Gould plays a bank teller named Miles and he is able to sort of anticipate a bank robbery based on some circumstances and sides he's gonna set aside some of the cash for himself and Christopher Plummer when the tally for the robberies announced is like, hey, I just got fucked on this. What's going on? And then he decides to go after Elliot Gould's character and it becomes one of the best cat and mouse, you know scenarios that I can think of in terms of how they fuck with each other and they fuck you fucking with each other real good. And there's there's some grizzly there's a grizzly death in this thing that you don't see coming, and it's It's one of my favorite things Curtis Hansen has ever been involved with. This is an unpopular opinion. I like this better than La Confidential. That's how much I like this movie. I just think it's such a great movie.
Speaker 2: One of the best things I think about this and probably more credit for the screen writing, I guess. But one one thing this movie does that a lot of movies of the time didn't do is. It did not take like the education of the people doing it for granted, So Christopher Plummer just sort of works out. Elliott Gold ripped him off. He didn't have to be told anything, and usually the criminal or bad guy would just be dumb as rocks, and he went like full intelligence and was all about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this movie, this movie rules.
Speaker 3: It's great. I high recommend you should watch it now close to the holidays. It's it's the best Christmas. This was in my you know, letterbox four for I just did some Christmas noirs and it was like this and the Ice Harvest and blast Asylums and ah shit, I can't remember the fourth one.
Speaker 5: But.
Speaker 3: No, not actually not leave the level, but yeah, this is. I mean that the New BEV used to do a really surprisingly great double feature of this and die Hard. They do die Hard in the Silent Partner, and weirdly they work incredibly well together, and I'm bummed. I don't know if something happened with the print for a Silent Partner that it became easy harder to get, but they stopped doing that double bill, and I reckon I saw it as a double bill at the New BEV and it was one of my favorite movie going experiences in a while. Yeah, they owned its Canadian setting and try to prevent Yeah. No, I agree it is very Canadian and they don't. Yeah, you're right. It is more of a Christmas movie than Diehard. Definitely your right stand. I mean, he's dressed as Santa Claus for God's sake, so right right, Oh yeah, Brendan, definitely check this out. This is of the stuff we've talked about. This is my favorite thing of this round for sure. This is like purely an all time favorite and a movie that we've championed on the show. I love Darryl Duke in general. I think Payday is another movie that I adore from him. That is just a great look behind the scenes at the country music lifestyle with a great performance from Ripped Torn. That's still a DVD only, not streaming movie. But I put it The Silent Partner and Payday together. You put those two in the same conversation and you've got a filmmaker that you're suddenly like, Wow, who is this guy? Because this is really good stuff? You know.
Speaker 2: Nice, Well, it looks like I believe this is on Amazon Prime Video. So if you get a I'M account, you might be able to stream it.
Speaker 3: Just to watch it. Folks, watch it before New Years. It'll still play.
Speaker 2: All right. Next up ray from two thousand and four getting a four K release from Keno here soon. This is the Jamie Fox, Regina King, Carrie Washington joint. Another great movie. Glad this is coming out. Hopefully they get some some new special features on this one, because I feel like this one, what are we get twenty yeah, twenty years old. I feel like we could have some sort of like recontextualizing of a pretty great biopic here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember liking it. This has been a while since I've seen.
Speaker 4: This, but obviously this is where everybody got Jamie Fox.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a big Jamie Fox man. I think he's truly fantastic as an actor, and I'm sure they talk to him at some point, but I'd love to get a new interview with him. But that might be too much fast for from the niche market that we live in now. I know it's harder to get a high profile guy like that. They want money, budgets are tight. I get it, you know, but I would love to hear him looking back on this movie and maybe what it meant to his career from that point on.
Speaker 2: It would be nice to see next up. Dune Prophecy, a show that I did not know existed, is coming to four K and Blu Ray on April fifteenth from Warner Brothers. As far as I can tell, no bonus features, but you can preorder these now. I had literally never even seen this advertised, never heard it announced.
Speaker 4: Did not know it existed.
Speaker 3: Anybody's seen it, Anybody in the comments tell us if this is good, because I have no clue, no comments to make.
Speaker 2: About it, nothing at all. Shoot, I still haven't even seen the two Dune movies are.
Speaker 4: Gonna be honest.
Speaker 3: Wait, have you seen neither of them?
Speaker 4: Neither of them?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think you like those. I don't know, I think you.
Speaker 2: Like For some reason, sand politics just has not been exciting for me yet.
Speaker 3: They do say the word spice quite a bit. But when you watch them both back to back, I really think it's hard to deny the cool stuff Denny is just he's a great director.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: He's really one of the great folks working right now. It's a prequel to this series of current Okay, good to know more information than I had no clue, all right.
Speaker 2: Next up, Small Things like These from twenty twenty four is getting a Blu Ray in the UK on February third from Lionsgate. My indication means that that probably will come to the US shortly after from Lionsgate as well. I've heard this is great, but I also hear there was some sort of controversy with this film or the director or something. I'm not sure. Don't quote me on that, but from what I hear, it's like people were surprised this actually is getting a release for some reason.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Yeah, I only heard vague rumblings that it's pretty good, but beyond that, I don't even really know what it's about. I think you saw one trailer that I can't remember at the moment, so have little to go on with this one. But Killian's obviously a great actor, so I.
Speaker 2: Know he's been pretty incredible, all right. Next up, the talking about cast in this one. Pretty incredible. Jude Law, Nicholas holt Ty, Sheridan Jerreny Smolette, and Mark Merrin of all people. This is based on a true story, and this is from twenty twenty four, coming on Blu Ray in the US from Vertical Entertainment on February eighteenth.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna watch this very soon just because I've heard some great things about it. I didn't even realize there's a period piece set in nineteen eighty three, so that's cool Nicholas Holt having a hell of the year. Although I will say reiterate something I said to my wife this morning when she asked me what I thought of nos Fratu. I have an issue where when an actor does multiple basically headlining roles in the same year, because it doesn't allow my brain enough space to divorce from the last time I saw them. So the fact that I've seen him and Jury Number two and nos Fratu and now this, it starts to make it difficult for me to separate Nicholas Holt the actor from the characters that he's playing when I see them too much and I need a year of gestation period. I'm not saying actors shouldn't work more, but I'm just saying for me, when they work three times in the year or more, it's unless it's a character actor, that's fine, but I start to be affected. It affects my ability to buy in emotionally to a story somehow, which is not totally fair. It's just something that honestly, I have an issue with.
Speaker 4: One of the other shows that I do.
Speaker 2: We were talking about like surprising not necessarily performances, just like general overall things from this year, and what got me thinking about that is Kieran and Shipka. I think she was in five great movies from this year. She's not lead, She's not lead in all of them. She's leading I think two of them, but she like she was in Long Legs, she was in Twisters, she was in that Sweethearts movie that just came out. She did a couple other smaller parts, and that is crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one year. No, I agree, and again I'm not. I want actors to work as much as they can. It's great. I mean that's actually true. Like he does kind of look like John Reno and like the professional or Ronan or something on the cover here. Agreed. Yeah, but no, I'm really excited for this one. Like I dropped twenty five bucks just for a digital copy of this, and so that's you know, indication that I'm ready to watch. And I don't do that very much. You know, with the new titles, it really depends. But the buzz on this one. Oh okay, I gotta.
Speaker 2: See Red One.
Speaker 3: I gotta see Red one. Stuff that's definitely on my list and I should watch it is different and everyone that's good. That's good too. I mean, I'm not saying. I mean, you know, Nicholas Holt plays a husband in both Jural number two and nos Fraut too. They're different husbands.
Speaker 2: But he's also been two big parts and two vampire movies. That's the hard part.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that is tricky. I agree again. I like him very much. I've liked him since About a Boy and it's the about a boy reunion that happens in Juring number two is pretty right. But yeah, it's just one of those things where I want to connect as much as I can emotionally, and sometimes there are some small obstacles like that that are kind of ridiculously silly. But my own issue. I gotta see Red One. It's free, and it's Jake Kasden. And you know, one of the prompts on Blue Sky recently was name a movie that need that should have had a sequel. I could have done the Nice Guys, but I figured that was too easy. I did zero fact, so obviously I love Jake Kasen from day one, and because he did read one makes me he's one of the main reasons I'd want to watch it is because it's Jake Kasen, so I gotta check it out.
Speaker 2: Totally get that, all right, I think we're on our last one. And this is sort of a weird one to end on so apologies in advance. Sam Hell Films, which is one of those like over the top, like not safe for work eighteen plus type of video labels, they're putting out a movie called Worms through this line that they're doing that is called Doom Perversion. This one is interesting because you can pick it up and order it now and it will be shipping in about a month, but it will only be available until March first, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: So if you want stuff like this, this.
Speaker 2: Is the only time to get it, and then it will no longer be available.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting business model for sure.
Speaker 2: Is but it's also an interesting line of films that a lot of people could not possibly ever put on because they could never watch the full thing.
Speaker 4: All Right, That is it for the week.
Speaker 2: But as usual, we normally talk about what is coming out next week in case you forgot, and unlike last week, there's actual titles releasing next week. So just a reminder, Well, first of all, the Searchers four K has been a weird one coming from Warner Archive. It should have released there you go. Some people finally started showing it up in their pickups. It got held up for like half a week. I think for a couple of people that one should be out available everywhere over the next week or so. Then we go to the regular stuff. Keino in one week releasing, Snake Eyes four K, Hatari four K, Internal Affairs four K, Miracle Mile Cherry two thousand and Mister Monk's Last Case, Pray for Death, the show Kasuji film, The Killer is Loose, Rage of Honor, the Beast Within Monty Walsh, and these are all still just Kedo, Lober still going, thank goodness, Blood and Lace, Hatari on Blu Ray, Snake Eyes on Blu Ray, Internal Affairs Blu Ray, the Arthur Dong collection, and that's it for Keno and now everything else. The Terror Vision four K of Rumpelstiltskin will be shipping over the next week to ten days or so. Yellowstone Chapter Season five, Part two is getting released the Spanish Main from Warner Archive, Black Eye from Warner Archive, Night Full of Rain from Warner Archive, The Lords of Flatbush from Sony that I believe, Yeah, that is it? Over the next week, Uh, the Searchers, you had a chance.
Speaker 3: To put that in yet I just got it, so I didn't yet. It was between that and Demolition Man, and I ended up not watching either because I was trying to watch some stuff for this episode. But I will say I think the Searchers are gonna get lost. I know it's I'd like, I don't even have to put this in. I was on a live stream with some of the folks from Water Archive talking about everything that went into it, and it got me so excited for the to check it out. I mean, have been hearing about this restoration playing theaters for you know, the better part of a year in seventy and how much people love it, and so I know it's gonna be great. But what I'm worried about is it's coming at the end of the year, and I feel like a lot of people have already done their best of lists, and so I think this will would likely have been on my list had I gotten it a little sooner, but unfortunately I didn't. So I almost wanted to put it on our group of you know, lesser talked about, but I don't. It's I know it's gonna get some love coming into the new year, but I still feel like it should be one that we're all really really excited about because it's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's also a big deal. It's War Archives first four K. It's the searcher that everybody asks for every single day. It feels like, yeah, not only is it the first four K, but you can tell they're gonna do them right. They got fidelity emotion to do all the authoring and encoding, and it's again from a great restoration. They also, I don't know how widely talked about this has been, but warn Archive has already said like, don't expect a ton of four K. We're talking like maybe two or three over the next year.
Speaker 3: That was one of my questions. I got one question in for George, and that was like how many are you gonna do? And he definitely made it sound like it's gonna be few and far between for them, But that said, this is a pretty great start and so if that then the indication. I'm super excited for anything else they're gonna do on four K. It's gonna be big stuff. It's gonna be titles they know they can sell a lot of and so I don't know that really opens it up in terms of there's a lot of stuff they've done over the years that could easily you know, or Warner titles that maybe they would pick up you know in there that could be exciting. So I can't wait. But yeah, they talked to we heard from the restoration guys, and it just sounds like it's gonna be epic. It's gonna be wonderful. I'm gonna watch it between now and this weekend, between now and the New year. Ill again, I wanted to watch it for today, but I just couldn't squeeze it in. But can't wait. I know it's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: And the other thing obviously this isn't a guarantee, but Warner Archive might not be doing a ton of four k's. But we also just saw the Alternative Criterion just got a Warner Archive title that they're making four K with Night Moves. And so the fact that there's multiple avenues that we can see these come whether it be Warner Archive, whether it be Criterion or some other label that gets a Warner deal, or Warner puts it out themselves, Like, there's a lot of ways for some of these titles to get.
Speaker 3: Out there so now, and that's exciting because Warner Archives done a ton of titles that I would love to see get four K's and Night Moves was I mean, that's one of my favorite movie. So I was so excited when Criterion announced that four K. I mean, I can't tell you cannot wait for that, super super jazzed about it.
Speaker 2: So, as we discussed previously, we've got some some titles we're going to talk about that we're overlooked from this year, and we got some honorable mentions. First, you want to go through some honorable mentions before a list. You want to do those after.
Speaker 3: Let's stim after because I may have more more than.
Speaker 4: You, and I don't want to I think I have four.
Speaker 3: I might have more, but I can be quick about them.
Speaker 2: Amazing, amazing. All right, let's start with your first one. That's uh, that's from the list.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're doing five to start.
Speaker 2: All right, let me just count my favorites.
Speaker 3: Yeah, two, three, all right, that works.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna start with one that I just think is pretty adorable but awesomely fun, and that's Cooking price Wise. This one I actually found out through Blue Sky through somebody posting that they were getting this. I knew about Vincent Price's cookbooks, but I hadn't heard about this short lived British TV show that he did, and this release is fucking great. It is such I mean, I'm not even one of those people that puts on cooking shows as sort of a background y like let's chill out vibe kind of thing, but Vincent Price doing a cooking show is definitely my kind of chill out vibe. And this is just a really nice release from BFI. This is a Region B release unfortunately, but it's any episodes. I want to say, there's six parts. But what's really neat is there's a great interview with his daughter, and that's about eighteen minutes that I watched last night, and she talked about how her dad loved to eat, but he also loved to go around to restaurants and because he was him, he's the kind of guy that he could ask the chef at a restaurant can I get the recipe for X Y or Z and they would give it to him, And so he collected a lot of those recipes and those ended up going into the multiple cookbooks that he did, and I do recommend checking out there's treasury of great recipes. Cooking price Wise is an actual book. I feel like there's even like a third one. But it's so adorable to watch him cooking, even in this like really low budget set that they have for him. Uh, there's commentaries on all these There's a great interview with this woman a shoot I forget her name. She has like a blog about celebrity recipes and she's collected like nine thousand celebrity recipes of the years, and she's done a book on celebrity drink recipes. She did one on Colombo recipes like I can't remember if it's based on episodes. She did one for Murder, she wrote Angela Lansbury Recipes. So she's interviewed a couple times, and that's great. It's just a really well put together disc Like on top of you know it being it's also got like these really I mean adorably cheap graphics that are at the front of the show. That I kind of just love, but just putting these on at the end of the night when you're trying to calm down. I found it to be really really neat, Like, I know, this is a movie show and we're about movies, but this is for me. It's total catnip kind of stuff. And it's a high recommend. I got this from Diabolic. Definitely worth it. Definitely worth a recommend. And I don't feel like this is going to be on a lot of people's top ten lists, but it is well worth your time. I really love this cooking price wise one percent.
Speaker 4: So a few other details about it. One that's appealing.
Speaker 2: It's inexpensive, it's only like twenty one to ninety nine. Definitely worth it at that price too. Honored that a friend of mine is on the disc as well, interviewing Victoria Price.
Speaker 3: Oh well that's a great interview. Well done. Nice.
Speaker 2: And then another thing for this is it's a label showing that they're willing to do SD files on Blu Ray. All of these episodes are in SD they're not HD. However, Blu Ray's still the best way to archive these. You know, it's more scratch resistant the DVD save space all this other. There's like nine different benefits to do that over DVD and BFI doing it that's a big deal compared to, you know, putting it on three different DVDs, which it probably would have been.
Speaker 3: Well, it says they're both high def and standard, right, so you get both.
Speaker 2: Well, the the bonus features are HG. I don't know if any of the actual episodes are HG.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, it's as presented on Blu Ray and high definition and standard, because they the way they listed on the disc is like, also, we have these an SD, so that makes it sound like I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 3: I take your word over there as honestly, but yeah, no, it's great. And Steph is still in the chat. I want to know if Steph pick this up, because this made me think of Steph as something she would dig. Yeah, it's great. It's really just the perfect kind of great thing, you know, holiday vibes, but generally any time of year vibes. I love Vincent Price Cooking is wonderful.
Speaker 2: Uh so, Mary says Neka the action figure company. He just released a Vincent Price action figure and the cookbook comes as an accessory. Shit, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yes it is, and I don't even collect action figures anymore, but god damn it, I need to.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, Okay, So I had I had a lot of trouble making this list, actually because I feel like I give a lot of attention to stuff in ways that I don't know, maybe people look at weirdly because I know there's gonna be you know, four three hundred and twelve people talking about the hitcher of this year, which I get that's a big deal and all that, but some of these I feel like I've talked about almost too much already. So I kind of wanted to shed some light on some things that I think people are gonna forget even came out this year. And the first one is Death Dream from Blue Underground. And this is this is an interesting one because it's.
Speaker 4: A four K upgrade.
Speaker 2: It's not one that you know, a lot of people aren't clamoring to upgrade these, even though Blue Underground is kind of like the high bar for four K and UHD overall because or four k's are exceptional every single time. But this is a Bob Bob Clark classic, quite possibly maybe his best movie. It's I wouldn't make it. I wouldn't say it's my favorite, but it could be his best movie. Literally, incredible film, looks amazing. And then on top of that, because it's Blue Underground, it's an upgrade. But it got a new audio commentary with Troy Hawart and Nathaniel Thompson. I got a new interview with the actor Gary Swanson. And then it has like every other bonus feature it's ever had, so now by far the definitive release of death Dream, and it's an incredible release. And I feel like so many people aren't even mentioning that Blue Underground put this out this year. Serve Laurels for that.
Speaker 3: I feel bad I left it off mine and I should have included it's great. No, I love Bob Clark, I might prefer Murdered by Decree personally, I love murder by Decree. Okay, yeah, Steph, let me know what you think of it, because it's feels like something you would totally dig.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I'm saying it is much better than.
Speaker 3: Yes, definitely, but yeah, I Murdered by Decree getting a four K next year from Keno. Very psyched about that. But yeah, no, Blue Underground. The only question is where's Manhattan, Baby, I just keep asking, I want to just the OCD in me is like, finish off that fulgie that you've already done. There must be some issue with it. I guess I don't know. But yeah, death Dream great movie. Al Rick loves it, and another one that I'm only now coming to appreciate as much as I should as the sort of classic, you know, groundbreaking film that it is. It really is intriguing and has a rather downbeat ending for this kind of movie, like impactful in a way that some of these exploitation horror movies are not. Like it's a movie You're like, damn ouch, okay, fuck.
Speaker 2: It is a movie that will linger with you and saying right now kind of a spoiler no no, but it.
Speaker 3: Is lingering right now. It's one of those one I rewatched it on that four K. I was like, Wow, this is way more just more impactful on a lot of levels than I would have given it credit for. And then I think a lot of people would at the for a movie called death Dream, you know what I mean, Like, I think that's sort of But Bob Clark's just a great filmmaker as far as I'm concerned, just a really great filmmaker, all kinds of genres.
Speaker 2: That's the thing with Blue Underground too, is a lot of people and I've done it. I've done it myself, so I'll happily admit it. We overlook The Underground because they've not acquired anything new in a decade or more or something like that, and that's not great. But when you keep giving me the definitive edition of everything you've ever done, it's kind of hard to argue with.
Speaker 3: Agreed, No, they really they have not put out a bat four K like their four K are top of the line, amazing stuff. I really love Blow Underground a lot, so great pick. All right, this one's gonna be No, it's not really controversial. City of Hope. Sony did a nice job with a couple catalog releases. They did shot stories as well, which I almost would have put on this list. But this is the one for me. John sales The City of Hope one of his best movies and one that had not had a physical release since VHS and laser disc officially, as far as I know, I don't think it ever got even an mod DVD, I'm pretty sure. But a really great picture of a city it's like an anonymous the city has a name, but it's not a specific city. But I've always said and I think it's pretty clearly an influence on the Wire. So if you're a fan of the Wire, this is a movie that looks at city government on all levels and the corruption that lies within it, and has a really incredible ensemble cast, a lot of regular sales players, but beautiful widescreen movie shot by Robert Richardson, looks fantastic on this Blu ray, and has a commentary from John Sales and really that's all I need, honestly, is a sales commentary, because he does a nice job with those. So I was more then excited about this. The bummer is it comes out from Sony and so it doesn't get much fanfare at all, which is the reason I put it on this list, is if it had come out from Criterion, which, to be honest, if they could do a licensing deal with Sony, this is a Criterion movie. This is a movie that Criterion could have put out alongside Lone Star and you'd be like, oh, yeah, that totally makes sense. So I was only slightly bummed that it was a Sony solo release, but man, I can't recommend this. Yeah, if you love Lone Star, this is a totally different kind of movie and I love Lone Star. Lone Stars like a favorite, favorite kind of movie for me, and I was so psyched that that four K came out, But this is really one I gotta recommend if you like sales and the other thing for me for sales. And this is sort of off topic, but my favorite discovery of the year is his movie Gopher Sisters, which is his last film from twenty thirteen, which only has a DVD release, which is out of print, no physical, no streaming release, no other physical release, and I I fucking loved it. I thought it was so good. I'd love to see him do another movie, but as a last movie. If it ends up being his last movie from twenty thirteen, I'm okay with that. Like I'm not okay with him not doing another movie, but like it's great. So yeah, Sales has just been one of my favorites for a long time. So really psyched to see this get a physical Blu ray City of Hope. Baby.
Speaker 4: It's a dang good pick, really good.
Speaker 2: So I knew when we decided on this topic, I had to cover something from Monto Micabre and I feel like they had a lot of titles this year that were at tension grabbing for one way or another. But I feel like this one is going to be the one that's most overlooked and shouldn't be for a few reasons. We had somebody in the chat earlier mentioned Indonesian film needs a bigger highlight, and that's why I wanted to go with the Warrior trilogy that came out this year. This is the first Warrior film they put out on DVD years ago through Monto Micabre and now you get all three on Blu Ray. And the first Warrior film is astonishing because it looks immaculate. The restoration on it is like twenty years old, and it looks like the film is not even twenty years old. It looks so good. There's new bonus features. You get three films from a culture that we don't see enough releases from, and based on that, this is something that needs to be in a lot of people that are pushing boundaries, I guess, or wanting to watch films from other countries in a way that you don't get a lot of access to. And Barry Prima is one of the best that you can have when looking into Indonesian film.
Speaker 4: And so when you get.
Speaker 2: Something like this and you look at the fact that they've got new bonus features, they've got some archival bonus features, and they put a lot of love into this. I mean, this comes properly handled. It's a two disc release, it's three full films, and it was very inexpensive for everything that you're getting and it looks incredible. So based on that, please check out the Warrior Trilogy from Ato Macabro.
Speaker 3: I totally flew under my radar. As much as I try to keep track of what they're doing there. Like I said, they're one of those labels that you know a good percentage of what they put out, I'm like, what is that movie which you know? To a guy that I feel like I've seen a movie or two in my day, it's it's impresses me when they can dig stuff out that I've never heard of. So that's a trilogy I completely missed. So I really got to look into that. That sounds really cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great, and I hope more people look at.
Speaker 3: Well, now we're just getting into stuff that are movies that I like Hungry Snake. Lemon was awesome. Oh that's cool. I gotta check that out too. Okay, so this is a big deal because this movie never came out on Blu Ray before, and DVD was a little spotty. I got a UK DVD that was four x three. It's called Banning. It's from nineteen sixty seven. It is a golf noir and it stars what Robert Wagner and anginette comer Jill Saint, John Guy Stockwell, and it's it has some slight similarities to Caddyshack obviously years before kay Shak, but basically Robert Wagner shows up at this golf club and he basically blackmails his way into becoming. Oh good, Terry knows what I'm talking about. Best sports movie ever, very nice. No, I mean, it's it's a great like. I've not seen another golf noir ever. This is totally a Terry kind of movie. Terry digs out a lot of underseen kind of movies. And yeah, so it was really exciting for this to get a release because it is a widescreen movie, and so they did. I don't know if they got it's not like a new scan. Oh no new scan that they did. Yeah, that's another thing Imprint started. I feel like this year is the year they started doing their own scans, right. I don't feel like I saw a lot of.
Speaker 2: The first year, but they've done more this year for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm noticing that more so. A new two K scan of the interpositive by them, commentary by Howard Berger and Steve Mitchell, interviews with Robert Wagner and Jill Saint John and Sean Berlin game talking about the Quincy Jones score, which is really good. But so yeah, Robert Wagner shows up at this golf club and he starts blackmailing his way into getting a job, and then he's sort of getting involved with some of the housewives that are involved in this community. And it's kind of sleazy for what it is, and it ends in sort of a similar kind of They call it the Calcutta, which is basically a couple of golfers play together on teams in this case for like a whole lot of money, and that gets really intense too. But yeah, just one of those movies that I was like, I only discovered like three or four years ago for the show, and I never thought it was gonna get a nice release, and I don't think it'll get another release outside, Like, I don't think this is coming. You know, some of these Universal releases get a domestic. I don't think that's happening with this. I'm just pretty sure this one's not selling enough that they're gonna get a domestic. So, you know, hats off slightly to Imprint for always trying to go for stuff that isn't on disk. I know Hertzburg tries to do that too, and some of the other labels do, but this is one I just didn't expect to get and I'm a big fan of so it ends up being one of my favorite releases of the year because it's a good movie. You know, it's just a really good, you know, golf de war that you know, has hard boiled dialogue and a golf movie. It's just it's it's it's weird, but it's fun.
Speaker 2: I will continue to say often that Imprint Films every single month. Being able to say worldwide first on Blu Ray for even one title every single month, yeah, is astonishing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's impressive. I got to say that that is clearly part of their mission statement. I can't I can't let that be disrespected, Like that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So one of the things that I've really tried to do this year is continue to ring the bell for people that have left OCN distribution and broke out on their own. And so we've got a handful. Now, We've got Fun City additions, We've got Deaf, Crocodile Terror, Vision, Altered Innocence, Culture Shock releasing, and maybe one more that I'm forgetting. But one that already had a very small crowd following them and decided it was best for them to go elsewhere is Altered Innocence and their stuff with Diabolic continues to be incredible. And really wanted to shout out she is Conan with one of the first off coolest art pieces on a slipcover all year. This is a film by bertrand Mandico. They've done a couple other releases for Mandico and this is a film that will appeal to a lot of people if you give it a chance. This is a modern modern fantasy like time travel, gender bending, sword and sandals epic and those are a lot of adjectives you don't normally hear together. No, and the only person that I would trust to pull that off right now is bertrand Mandico, And based on that, if you like any of those adjectives, you should check out She is Conan. They continue to do incredible work. They continue to put out subversive coming of age and queer stories that really don't get a lot of love anywhere else. And based on that, I will always always share anything that Alternate Innocence is doing because they're incredible.
Speaker 3: No, it's cool. I mean, you know, it seems like there's like behind the scenes, maybe a little animosity potentially from some of these exits, which is too bad, because you know, people got to do what they gotta do, and so that there's any bad blood about it is unfortunate. I get that Vineger syndrome gives a great platform to these smaller labels, and they obviously have just an incredible two consumer you know base, and so for you to take that and then leave, I get that that could be seen as you know, that could that could leave a bad taste for some folks. But that said, I do love to see these folks continue. I love that diabolic Is is partnering with a couple of them, and that MVD is partnered with fun City and that things are, you know, continuing to do okay. I know that sometimes they don't get the same kind of notoriety like I didn't. For instance, I didn't know about that release at all. So I feel bad because I do keep a pretty close eye on the at least what comes out from the Vinegar Syndrome Partner labels, and so sometimes I lose track of this stuff and I'm like you, I'm like really into this stuff. So the fact that I didn't know about it makes me feel bad. It makes me feel like maybe there's definitely some other folks that didn't hear about it, which is a shame because I want these guys to succeed as much as they can, because everybody's just trying to get by and put out movies that they think are important and interesting, and I want to just say I'm behind that whatever it is that they're doing. So that's exciting coming back to Vinegar Syndrome. Sometimes they put out movies that I don't expect from them, and five Card stud was definitely movie I did not see coming from them at all. It's a Henry Hathaway mystery western with a great cast including Dean Martin, Robert mitcham Inger Stevens, Roddy McDowell, and it's I just really like, I'm guessing this wasn't a huge seller for them. I just have a feeling that this isn't the movie that the Vinegar Syndrome folks are clamoring for. But I think it's great. It's one that I brought up. We had the honor of having Ryan Johnson on the show back in twenty nineteen, twenty eighteen, whenever the First Knives Out came out. We had them on the show and we did mysteries, and this is one that I picked for that episode, and again didn't think it was going to get a blu ray at all because it just had an old paramount I think DVD. But it's a really great Western mystery. That's a genre you almost never see. It's just not something that happens where you have like a card game where things go south and then suddenly people that were involved in that card game start to die, and it's like it's not a Giallo exactly, but it's kind of a mystery as to like who's doing the killing. And it's a great cast you off I codos in here too, I'm just a big fan of it, so I was really psyched when I saw this get announced from them, and it's new, of course, newly scanned and restored in four K from its thirty five camera negative commentary track with Brian Hannon, Jack of all Trades Walter Chow talking about the films of Henry Hathaway that alone is worth the price of admission for this A woman of true Grit Lizzie Franca on screenwriter Marguerite Roberts Legacy. So a really nice collection of extras and just a really good kind of classic western. It's from what fifty or No? Sixty something? Right sixty eight, it's almost nineteen seventy. But yeah, I just is a movie that I just really like and was really surprised to see get a physical release from anybody, let alone Vinegar Syndrome. So I gotta bring it up. It was on a couple of several of these I've talked about on my Favorite Blu Rays of the Year episode, but I had to bring it back because I really didn't expect that one.
Speaker 2: I don't remember is that one from their VSL line.
Speaker 3: It should have been, but I don't. Yeah, I know you're right, it is it is VSL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that would have been an odd one to be a subscriber to Vinegar Syndrome and get that.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I think that's what I got confused about was I was like, really, they're putting this out right, No, it's a lab's release, and that makes sense, and I'm sure that those classic The bummer about for VSL for me is that clearly what happened, or seemingly what happened, is that they put out these classic titles, they didn't sell well, or at least not as well as they hoped, and so they I mean, I get that based on your interview with Joe Rubin, which by the way, is still one of my favorite podcasts of the entire year. Like, I really love that interview with Joe, and Joe's just I mean, what an interesting guy. But like, and I get that Venison Lambs was not set up to be just one thing, but it's like they were gonna do classic titles, and I was so there for that, But I also understand that maybe those aren't gonna sell as well with their core audience, and so I don't know if it was a pivot away from that uh, to other things, or if they always my guess is they always just kind of had like, this will be our miscellaneous category. Let's start with classics and then see where it goes. But I would love to see them do more classic stuff like this or The Cat Creeps or whatever. Not the Cat Creeps. What was the first one they did with Eddie Robinson. That's an anthology. I can't think anyway that stuff. I was just like, Yeah, let's that's great. I'd love to see them keep doing that, and we'll see if it happens. But I'm guessing those titles will be maybe one a year, you know, probably because that's what they can risk financially to do it. But again, I was excited to see a movie like that get a BSL release.
Speaker 2: And what's hard, Like we can talk all day about how to keep sold fourteen thousand copies and that's a big deal because if you literally just tally up the money that in thirty seven hours that made them and this is not a dig of vinegar syndrome, but holy shit, like six hundred and fifty thousand dollars of income. They didn't pay six hundred and fifty thousand dollars to put out The Keep. There's no possible way. Their cost for all that was way less than that, and so what they're making from that could go to stuff like what you're talking about now, or their first title for VSL, which was Flesh and Fantasy.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Yes, Flesh and Fantasy, which is a great start, really great anthology. If you haven't, I'm pretty sure that's not sold out, So definitely grab Flesh and Fantasy if you haven't. Like really good anthology, noir but like kind of like Supernatural too, like really really cool movie. Yeah, I hope they'd do more.
Speaker 2: That one release of The Keep could probably pay for eight of these smaller titles to go out every year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I get that that's not as easy as saying, okay, we're gonna put it into that, like you still want to make money, but yeah, they if they continue to put out one or two classic, interesting titles like this on the VSL side, I'd be so so psyched. But I also understand, I don't know the numbers, I don't know how these are selling, and maybe at some point they go, yeah, classic films just isn't exactly working for us, But we'll see. I mean That's the other thing I love about Joe is that he just kind of seems to do what he wants to do too, And so from that point of view, they're in a really good position to continue this stuff that they want to. I'm not saying they have to, but like it's not no one title is going to bring them down. So like they could do a couple classic titles and see how it goes, and I think, hopefully bring in an audience that they aren't getting otherwise and maybe that helps. I don't know. I'm not running my own business. I have no clue how this stuff works. It just seems like you want to bring in as many people as possible, and maybe that stuff brings in other people.
Speaker 2: Just And the big thing which we've seen from Vinegar Syndrome is fan base has evolved too. What you can expect from Vinegar Syndrome eight years ago is not what you'd expect in twenty twenty five. So who knows we could be looking at an extremely different company in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, but I've been I will say for as much as you know. I dropped my subscription this year for the first time in a couple of years and I'll be honest, I don't regret it. But that said, they are obviously a big driving force behind boutique labels and physical media buying. Like they've clearly figured something out and I respect that they've They've built the brand that people are blindly obsessed about and sometimes not watching the movies at all, which is unfortunate. But that said, they got my copy of the keep er Ive today. Very nice. It's gonna be worth some money and also glad you got to keep That's great because yeah, those that didn't get it, I'm so sorry because it's it's gonna be one that you know, it's one of their best that they've done. I'm pretty pretty jazz about it. But just just like they're driving a lot of money and and I can't uh not be excited about that side of things. You know, the the direct to consumer thing they've set up is incredible and they have, like I said, just an incredible fan base that's buying this stuff sight unseen a lot of it, and that's great for the overall you know, industry, uh, in a lot of levels. You know, I would love and I don't think those people just buy the integer syndrome. So on that level, they're going to continue to get people excited, hopefully about other labels as well. But they've clearly figured something out and good for them, you know, good for physical media on that level.
Speaker 2: Fully, Yeah, absolutely agree. Uh up to my number two now, and this is one that you and I both shared a lot of love for this company over the last five or six years, and it's one that is really easy to praise because I've called them the most consistent boutique label out there. And this is a title that's slightly different than a lot of their stuff this year because they've gone very i mean focusing on genre lan but also on some classic stuff too. Got to talk about Indicator at least once. And one that came out of nowhere, seemingly because they used to do some cult stuff. But this year we got Bruiser on four K and to to have a George A. Ramero title that does not end with of the Dead or of the Living Dead and it's a four K title, that's a big deal. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, this could have been on my list too. This was on my four K list, I think, I think I'm pretty sure I put it. Yeah, no, I did, But Yeah, that's and that's a that's a discovery. I had not seen Bruiser. I'd meant to see Bruiser for years, and you know, it doesn't one hundred percent work for me, but it's really interesting. What he's doing is really interesting, just like what he's doing in terms of sociological observation in something like Don of the Dead. He's doing something different here, but it's fascinating stuff. It's really fascinating and I was so I'm not glad I waited. I'm never glad I waited, but to see it in that four K for the first time was really absolutely ideal, especially with all the extras they put together. That's that's like a really great release from this. Look at that.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's Indicator does something. It is a wall of works.
Speaker 3: No, I mean I I didn't want to like. I don't like. I brought them up at the top of the show. I should bring them up more because they are still probably a little underrated for everything they do, but I love them so much. They're literally when they're like. Arrow is a favorite, but Indicator is also a favorite. I think for the amount. And I've heard this said before, but I agree with it the amount of chances that they take and the variety of things they do. They really really doubled and tripled down on the genre land stuff. I mean, that is incredible. I'm not as big a genre land person myself, but my gosh, it's important cinema and it's beautiful and putting it out on four K, I mean, how can I not get excited about that? You know, just as as a film fan, I'm I'm so glad they're doing it. But they also have a crazy, weird, offbeat emphasis on classic film titles, which I adore, you know, even just the singles they put out. I'm trying to think there was one that I saw this year on Noir that I'm blanking on right now that was really solid with George Sanders. But yeah, Bruiser for me, one of the one of the better four K releases of the year, but also definitely not over praised by any means needs a spotlight. So I'm glad you brought that up, because I was so glad to discover it this year.
Speaker 2: One of the things I think I said this like a couple of weeks ago on the show too, but I don't think I had something in hand to display it. The big thing about these Indicator releases for me is a lot of us that love the films and love good packaging for movies that we love. I like stuff like this, and I'm not putting down Imprint in any way. Believe me when I say this, but this is a four K release of a George Romero film. This is a four K release of a Bridge Too Far. Look at the difference in shelf space for these films, and they are both multiple discs, they are both four K releases, they both have booklets. This is to me like, this is a really innovative way to do proper packaging that helps us in the community not have to go Well, I bought eight titles and now this shelf is full. I don't like that. I'd rather be able to fit twenty five in the space of eight and in print. I love the work you do, but I don't need If you're doing a two disc release, hey we make two disc cases.
Speaker 4: I'll send you some.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: I mean, I get the idea of it's nice to have a physical disc and a case for every movie, right, but it does take up more space. And I know that there's some people who don't like those one of those eco cases that Indicator uses. They don't dig that stuff. But like you say, it goes on the shelf. It's got a lot happening, including a nice I mean, those are The other thing about Indicator is they do I think the best books around, Like I can't think of like, who's who does a better book than them?
Speaker 4: Maybe Second Site?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, second No, you're right, those are those are a little bigger. Agreed, those are a little more but but second only to Second Site. Who's I mean, Second Site's pretty fucking incredible. Yeah, I mean, no, no, no, they don't, get me wrong, like those guys are I mean, they're another favorite label, you know, and I don't buy everything that they put out. But but yeah, I mean when they put on a movie that I'm that I'm into, like green Room from this year was incredible and obviously the Hitcher was incredible. Yeah, no, it's it's it's nice. You do make up a good point through about shelf space. Shelf space is a big deal. You know, when you're running running out like we are, and I'm way running out, like I've got stuff stacked on the top of stuff, and you do too.
Speaker 2: I can see it.
Speaker 3: Bet yeah, it just happens, you know. Yeah, But Bruiser, great choice, and Steph brought up you know we had gotten speaking of Second Type, we got Martin recently, you know, and and that was one that I didn't you know, we were waiting for for a long time, you know, a big victory for Second Sight as well.
Speaker 2: But for sure, all right, sir, down to number one on your side.
Speaker 3: I mean, these are vaguely not really in order. But this is a movie that I really really enjoy and that's The Lawyer, uh from Keno, and it stars Barry Newman, who is in of course Vanishing Point, which is one of my favorites, and Fear is the Key, which is also great, which I never thought Fears the Key would get one Blu ray release, let alone to Blu rays, one of which from Arrow, which is definitely my favorite the two. But this is a really neat movie and it would spin off into a TV show called Petri Shelley. He plays a lawyer who drives a truck camper thing and I'm just a sucker for a good courtroom drama. Although that's not all that this is. It's kind of like an investigative police procedural too. Basically, he is a lawyer that gets pulled into this case about a guy who supposedly killed his wife, and the guy claims that basically what happened was he went drinking with He and his wife went drinking with some other couples. They came back to his house, he passed out on a couch. He woke up and his wife had been He saw somebody in the house and then he got hit over the head and then woke up and his wife had been bludged to death in her bed. And so Barry Newman has to take on this case and try and prove that this guy didn't do it. And I just love that kind of story, and I love Barry Newman, and I think he's really good in this. And yeah, this is a Sydney J Fury film, which is not part of at least any Sydney J. Fury set that's come out yet, but it has a commentary with Daniel Kreamer and Paul Lynch. Director Paul Lynch, who I'm a fan of, by the way, and I've become more of a fan of him this year. I've seen some of his stuff plus some archival interview in excerpts from Sidney J. Fury in that commentary and also includes a new interview with Barry Newman and actress Diana Muldor, who plays his wife in this but just a really solid nineteen seventy R rated lawyer drama. But it's like more than that, Like I'm under selling it by calling it that, Like it's just a really good movie. Like this is one that my friend Matt Lynch from Scarecrow, he and I both like. He texted me, He's like, dude, I was gonna recommend The Lawyer to you, but I saw that you already saw it, and he totally loved it. He talked about it on another show that people should be watching is why can I think of their show right now? I'm blanking. I've had too much wine to drink tonight. Viva Physical Media Beava Viva Physical Media. Definitely put that on Scarecrow on your subscribe list because they Matt and Emily do a great show where they go through a ton of cool stuff and I've been very touched that they've actually ripped off a couple things from Pure Cinema for that show. Emily is a big friend and a big fan of the show. But Matt is great. I've known Matt for like a decade or more online. I've never met Matt in person. I got actually to meet Emily this year in person when she came out to LA. Anyway, this came up on their show also, so it's doubly recommended. Definitely check out Physical Viva Physical Media. It's a great YouTube show.
Speaker 4: Sidney J.
Speaker 2: Fury, You've got a lot of love over the last couple of years. Incredible filmmaker. Supposedly getting some more releases next year, so excited for that.
Speaker 3: Very nice.
Speaker 2: You started with one that you said, I know this is about movies, but here's a cooking show. I'm going to end on one that does not movies with a TV series trilogy.
Speaker 4: Ish.
Speaker 2: I still think it's incredibly random and under the radar that people don't understand that this happened.
Speaker 4: That movie.
Speaker 2: Made it possible for everybody to complete their Lars Lars von Trier collection with the Kingdom trilogy this year.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's a good call.
Speaker 2: And Moby does not do stuff like this very often. And now for people that love Lars von Treer, like myself, you have the Kingdom one, The Kingdom two, and The Kingdom Exodus on Blu Ray big box sets. Lots of stuff on here. I know that Lars von Treer is not everybody's cup of tea, but if you like him and you like the stuff that he does to subvert expectations at every single possible opportunity, The Kingdom, I still have not finished the third one yet, but I mean this is I mean, there's there's almost a thousand minutes worth of content in this box set literally just from the series. So it's one that if you've never checked it out, I think that you would probably like it if you were into this type of story. Lars von Truer is a hell of a filmmaker, and I understand that we might be done with his films if he's fully retired. He hasn't said fully yet, but it looks like that's quite possible. But yeah, now we have an opportunity to literally have everything.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I remember when that show came out on some kind of foreign DVD, you know, probably twenty years ago, and I was obsessed with it. I was like, Wow, this is crazy, dark, weird stuff that I didn't expect and was totally different from anything Lars von Truer had done at that point, and I was just like, and it still might be one of my favorite things that he's ever touched. Like, I think it's such a great, fascinating show, Like if you like horror movies, if you're a horror person like or Twin Peaks. Yes, that's a good touchstone for this. Definitely worth a look. Weird hospital like weird Twin Peaks er would be kind of itself, but not that's proper, you know, like you can't sell it properly. But yeah, fascinating show that I couldn't wait to watch the next episode of when I got it, you know, so I need to get that set. I didn't. I didn't pick that up. TV is weird for me. It's weirdly disposable in a way that I don't come back to it outside of like you know, Freaks and Geeks and some shows that I've watched a ton, I don't come back to it as much as I should. But that's a show that I want to own on Blu Ray and I should get it because that's another one I think my daughter would like that I should check out. So glad that came out. Yeah, And I forgot it was movie too.
Speaker 4: That's great, it is movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an odd choice for them, all right.
Speaker 3: Sir, I mean I got a ton of honorable mentions. How do you want to do this? Do you want to just do.
Speaker 4: I'll do my four real quick, and then we can spend time on yours. Because I like that.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go through let's see two. Well, I'm going to do one that's weird first, that's not really overlooked. But I, like I said, I'll explain. So I have a feeling most people don't understand that this is such a big deal. In one sale from Vinegar Syndrome that you get the Keep looking for mister Goodbar who killed Teddy Bear Cannibal to Musical all in one month. This is gonna be the one that didn't sell fourteen thousand copies in thirty seven hours, and so people are just like, eh, it's looking for mister Goodball. I'll get it eventually. No, the Keep was not number one on everybody's most wanted Blu ray list. This was the fact that you own this should be a bigger deal. The fact that this is available commercially for people to purchase with everything intact save for one song in the background of one scene. That is an amazing, amazing win for physical media. And it's hard to convey how much that means when it's literally been like decades in the making. I I know, we just talked about Vinegar Syndrome making six hundred and fifty thousand dollars for one title.
Speaker 4: But this is why stuff like that's important.
Speaker 2: Money talks, and sometimes money will pay for lawyers to clear things to be released. And now you have like literally the number one most requested movie on blue ray ever in your hands on four K even.
Speaker 4: That's a huge deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I just of course bought the vhs of it, like not even two or three weeks before it came out, because I was like, no fucking way are they going to clear those that song, those music. There's just too much high end music in it that they they'll never clear it. And Vinegar Syndrome figured out I can't say that I don't respect the hell out of that, because that is not an easy legal quagmire to solve, you know, So big hats off, Big hats off.
Speaker 2: I've got one genuine and then two that are kind of self promoted, so I'll do the genuine one first imprint releasing Secretary on Blu Ray. Incredible movie. But the big thing great looking Blue ray, lots of new special features. That's the big thing for this is people actually contextualizing in appropriately. We have a new audio commentary with What's His Veronica Fitzpatrick, and then we got an auto commentary that was archival from the director and the writer. We've got brand new from me but not me, actor Stephen Mcatty on finding the heart in an imperfect Father, A magical oasis that is the art director and Nick Ralbovski doing another interview on this making an indie classic. Like there's all kinds of new stuff on here, which on a title like Secretary, that's not something I truly expected in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: So it's nice to see.
Speaker 2: That one that I think a lot of people laughed at this year that it's on four KUHD. But I think it's gonna go unnoticed that we have the definitive release of the nail Gun Master out there. Yes, I'm on the commentary and did like four of the interviews on this, but this release is genuinely incredible. This title looks great in four K. It doesn't need to is the way it is still available heat incredible four K lots of new bonus features two new commentaries for nail Gun Master you can check that out, and then the last one.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I kind of like you said about the Searchers, this is one that I think it showed up at the end of the year and some people are gonna forget it is still an amazing reality that def Crocodile put out Feladay on four K.
Speaker 3: I just I literally, this is one that I gotta admit, like slip by me and I didn't even realize it was a four K and I watched the first twenty minutes before this, and I was like, fuck, I gotta finish this movie when I get done. It's one that I've been meaning to see for for a long time. And I mean it's like, again, like we talked about Banning being golf noir, this is like cat noir. I mean it's like cat investigating cat murders. And I was like, this is so up, my alley man, this is so good. Like I'll either finish it tonight or tomorrow. But looks gorgeous in four K. You and Will did the commentary, which I'm very excited to check out. Yeah, Deaf Crocodile a little slept on, I think in general, and I'm guilty of that as much as anybody. Like they're doing some really nice work. And I apologize to Craig Rogers right off the top, because Craig's such a sweet guy and a great supporter of mine, and I'm so sorry that I haven't been able to dig in more to what they're doing. But this one, I was like, oh shit, this should have been on my four K list, Like right away, I'm like, this is I can tell this is something I was hoping you'd bring it up because I was like, I can tell this is something I'd be into, and it's I was so digging the first twenty minutes of this that I got to finish it off.
Speaker 2: Great pick. Nathaniel over at Mondo Digital just posted a review for it, and for the first time somebody pointed out our puns on our commentary, and he gave a special shout out to the fact that we use the word sato miosachistic in our commentary.
Speaker 3: Oh that's fucking great. I love it. I love it. No, like I said, I'm very excited to hear you guys talk about it, but I was like, oh, man, the only thing I'll say. And I get why they do it, and I get that maybe some of these don't have I have English versions. There is no dub available. It's only German. Yes, stuff, You're totally right, like they've done. Some of my favorite animated releases in the last five years have been from them, And so the fact that this came out and I didn't jump on it right away is just me being a fucking idiot, because I should have been like, oh, that sounds I mean, it's a movie i'd heard of vaguely, but their release is it's beautiful. The animation is like it's like Don Bluth meets that later Disney stuff, where like I'm thinking like Arista cats, and I love they actually make of reference to aristic cats in the first twenty minutes, like this is not aristic cats basically, but yeah, oh man, pro cat noir. Yeah I'm and I'm not even a cat person. No offense to cat people, but I love the idea of a sort of a cat detective who's like but also like that unlikely cat detective who's just like moves into a neighborhood and some dude who lives nearby is like, yeah, we just had this fucking murder over here. This cat got his throat ripped out over here, and you're like, oh shit, and it's dark. I mean, it's really dark shit. And it's just getting to the point now where I'm like, oh, there's a lot going on in this story, you know, with some crazy you know, cat cults and shit, like, oh man, I'm so in on this. So like, yeah, I'm glad you brought it up, but I would have if you hadn't, So I'm glad it's on the list.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: Everything else is for you, my friend.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I'll try and be quick about this. I don't want to be ridiculous here, but I just got this in the mail. The Stone tape. This is one on one films, and they, you know, they do a lot of re releasing other people's stuff with you know, a new commentary here and there. This one, though, pretty fucking great. I gotta say, this is the one I was trying to hint at before. This has Kim Newman on a commentary with Nigel fucking Neil talking about this. This thing, which is a BBC. It's a Christmas you could make it a Christmas movie if you want. Nineteen seventy two, shot on video, supernatural story about some researchers working on this team of Times just discover a new recording medium and they take over this brooding Gothic mansion recently purchased and renovated by the employers, and basically they're sort of trying to investigate the hauntedness of it. And it's genuinely creepy stuff, Like, it's genuinely unnerving and scary in a way that I wouldn't expect a movie, especially shot on video, to work. But this is I mean, this has got you know, a really nice thick book. I mean, this is a really nice release from one on one Films that I don't hear anybody talking about at all right now personally, maybe I missed.
Speaker 2: It, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great, great, great extras on this too, And definitely I don't think this is sold out or anything, so this is one you could definitely still get. I got this through.
Speaker 2: Diabolic shockingly inexpensive too for everything you get with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really really good, like really good British sci fi horror stuff, Nigel Neil one of the great uh like Quator Mass guy and just a ton of great you know content from that. Okay, so this is Oh, this is gonna be tricky. This is a mutant Aliens. Oh, I want to see that. I didn't even realize that was coming. I love that they've They've done stuff with Bill primpted.
Speaker 2: In the next few months from Bill Plumm. Nice.
Speaker 3: That's very exciting. No, I'm deaf crocodile. If you take nothing away from this livestream. Definitely keep an eye on what they're doing, is what I would say, because they they sneak up on me and I try to keep track of these things.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: This is a German release of How's the Poppin' Uh that came out this year in a couple different forms. Oh you got it too?
Speaker 2: Very nice?
Speaker 3: Yes, so I was watching this last night. It has a German commentary, which is too bad, but it also has a video essay which is in English, which is good. More than twenty five minutes. It's definitely like a collector's print kind of situation. It's a little scratched up, but honestly this is one where like I just don't think we're gonna get a nicer I don't. I don't know if this is getting a restoration. I just think there's I don't know what the legal issues are with it, but it just feels like this isn't coming. And this movie is this is my Christmas eve watch, and I was just like, it's just goofy, crazy lunacy. It's just nuts. Yeah, I mean, this is a Joe Dante favorite and you watch it and you totally go, oh, yeah that that tracks. That makes sense. But yeah, a little scratchy print. But and there's two different cover designs for this. This was the easier one to get. I think I got it from Amazon Germany. Where'd you get yours?
Speaker 4: Uh? Diabolic?
Speaker 2: I think it's It's hard to track though, because Diabolic and Orbit and Brother Belile and maybe Grindhouse Video have not Grindhouse, it must have been Atomic. I think they've all gotten them, but then they sell out quickly and then a restock takes like ten weeks.
Speaker 4: Literally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, and I get you got to put yourself on the list at Diabolic or one of these other places for when they get restocked. I did that, and it took so long. That I eventually found it on somewhere else, but dia Boc would be the way if they. I'm sure this is a distributor that's hard to get a restock on. But this is a really fun movie that I highly recommend from Decanalog. I talked to him on my channel that guy Dick Miller is one of my favorite documentaries in the last ten years, and I love Dick Miller. It's a wonderful documentary by Elijah Drenner. Definitely check out my interview with Elijah. What's really neat about this is that has a whole bonus movie Star Hops nineteen seventy eight, which admittedly has a smaller part for Dick Miller at the front. But Elijah had a nice story about how Bob Rowski at Grindhouse Releasing had the movie and he basically just gave it to them. He's like, you know what, here, you guys put it out in your disc for free, no charge, and so you get a bonus movie, which is always a really great We've talked about bonus movies. That's a great feature to have. But it also has a commentary with Elijah and Laney Miller and cinematographer El Schneider, who I'm a big fan of, And yeah, I just love this movie. One of my favorite two canalog releases of the year. So glad they put this out.
Speaker 2: Just a great dog and starhops. You can't go on Blu Ray anywhere other than on that disc.
Speaker 3: And I don't even know if it had a DVD release. You could correct me in that, but I think that's the first physical release beyond maybe a VHS, which I can't guarantee it even had a VHS release to be home. Yeah, So it's a really and it's just a fun girls takeover a drive in kind of exploitation. It's fun. It's a fun movie. Coming back to film Masters here we have Redneck Miller, which I talked about on my favorite disc. This is one that Tarantino had played as part of a Grindhouse retrospective thing he did in like twenty eleven, and was impossible to find. Literally, I don't think ever got any kind of home media release as far as I know. Maybe there was some slight DHS regional thing, but I don't. I couldn't find, Like I was digging deep for any kind of rip of this movie. I wanted to see it so bad, and I'm glad I waited because this is just a beautiful restoration they've done of this movie looks great. It's kind of like a hicksploitation blaxploitation movie. You mentioned Justin Hunphries a few times. He does a really nice commentary on this. But this was one that I'd just been waiting to see. It's basically about a radio DJ is kind of a woman's ladies man who gets framed for a drugs steal and has some sort of a black gang of drug dealers coming after him and they're just kind of messing with each other. But it's very regional but fun and just kind of not like any Hollywood movie you'd ever see from nineteen seventy six. But really so psyched that film masters put this out. This is really fun stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one that never probably would have got any other release, and without film Masters, I mean that's a big deal. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just really never thought I'd be able to see the movie period. Okay, this is one that I'm not sure, like, are people talking enough about this because I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yes and no.
Speaker 2: It's it's an odd one because it just started showing up in Walmarts and Barnes and Nobles, but it's also like really.
Speaker 3: Overpriced at those places or just in general.
Speaker 2: I don't I think they only did the Blu Ray version in those stores, and even the Blu Ray version is like sixty five dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is a lot, because I didn't pay that much for this from the A twenty four side. I feel like it was under sixty bucks.
Speaker 4: So the four K version was eighty three.
Speaker 3: I think, Wow, did I pay that much for that? Eighty three dollars for us? But yeah, so this is a great four K that I got from A twenty four, one of the greatest, maybe the greatest concert movie all time. It's probably known enough, but I just felt like, you know, for what it is, this should be everybody should be talking about this, so that I just threw that in the mix for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: It's also a big deal to point out that A twenty four is now licensing titles to put out on physical media. I mean, that's that's something that we're not giving enough attention to. They did this and then Pie too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which I still need to get. I really want to get that pie this good night. Thanks for hanging with us. Sorry we're going to late.
Speaker 4: This is not late yet. You're good.
Speaker 3: So this one I was checking out today. I just got this Team week set from Imprint. Nobody's talking about this one as far as I can tell. This has three movies, two of which I don't think have been released before. It has h so it has what okay, The Deadly Dream with Bow Bridges and Janet Lee, which is my favorite of these three, I think, which is very much like a twilight Zone, like he's having he's a signist working on this DNA experiment and he's having these dream that he's being persecuted by this tribunal and it becomes like a dreams and reality melding kind of and it's only like seventy three minutes, really solid Twilight Zone vibes, coughka vibes, Like I really enjoyed that Baffled, which was a TV pilot that Leonard Nimoy did that you can see as is supposed to be. They even have like the opening credits that's got like that seventies like funky kind of like you know, opening credits in a movie. So you're like, oh, this feels like a show and it's not quite as good as Deadly Dream, but I've been wanting to see that one for years. I had like the vhs of it for a long time, and I guess I didn't watch it because I did not remember a damn thing when I I just been one before I started. And then it's got screen Pretty Peggy, which Keino has already put out, and they do have a new audio commentary on it. But they've got lots of nice features on these, and The Baffled has like two different versions, and it's a nice set and one that I feel like nobody's talking about at all. And I'm just I know that these don't sell well. Keino has people, They've asked Frank a bunch about TV movies, and he's clearly stated they just aren't selling as well as we'd like. And that bums me out because there's so many great TV movies out there that could make great releases on Blu Ray, and I just know they're probably not gonna happen, unfortunately, which is too bad.
Speaker 2: What's crazy is how many of them are directed by huge named directors or have giant stars, and it's like, well, focus on those ones and maybe they'll sell with I hope. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a tough thing. You just don't know, and I know. I was talking to Hertzburg about this, and it's tough because a lot of times they're part of certain packages and it's hardly to get one of them. Oh that's so nice. Well, I'll try to be on more. It's tough to it's I don't here's the thing, just for people that don't know. Ryan knows this, But I don't have a dedicated space to do podcasts. So I'm doing this downstairs in my house right now, and nobody's really home right now, so that's part of the reason I can do it. But if I have to do it on a regular Thursday night when my wife is home, I take a little a little heat if I sit down here for three hours and she can't but I will try to talk to her. But because this has been absolutely a blast, Ryan, I've had so much fun doing this, so I would love to come back anyway. This was fun and great features for Imprint. Just a couple more here. I checked out Dog a Vengeance from Severn. This is one that Quentin had talked about on our show in like twenty twenty one as a discovery and pretty solid stuff. And I'm a big dog person, but it's all about basically about a German shepherd that kind of makes a vendetta against Jason Miller and is hunting him. The only thing is the dog gets sidelined a little too much for me in this movie, Like I wanted more dog hunting him stuff. And there's some like revolutionary plot lines that I don't love as much, but it's still really interesting and amazing that Severn put this out with a lot of great actions too that I haven't had a chance to dig into. But just watch this for the other for the first time and really dug it.
Speaker 2: Wanted to point out Cloud says I only paid fifty eight bucks for that stopped making sense four K back in June. I think I was thinking of the bundle they did.
Speaker 4: There was something that.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, that sounds about right. Fifty eight sounds more like because I don't I was like, I don't think i'd pay eighty four.
Speaker 4: Fifty eight is high for four K. It is uh.
Speaker 2: And even there they're regular four k's that are coming in the regular sized boxes. Those are only like thirty five bucks. It was quite a large increase.
Speaker 3: I mean it's tough too because, like I know, people don't They're not used to going to the a twenty four site to buy them, right, and so I think a lot of those aren't as known that they're even available, you know, like you know, Love Lies Bleeding. You know, I've seen some people buy it, but you got to go to a twenty four site. By the way, Love Life Bleeding if you haven't seen it, Oh my god, just one of the best, yeah movies of the year, and I need to pick up that four K personally, this is really great Hush four K from Scream Now. It's great that this is getting a physical release. We can talk about how the fact that this came out on Netflix and then is not currently streaming on Netflix anymore. This is why this is important. That movie completely goes away and then uh, what's his name planning gets gets the rights back, and not only does he put it out in four K. But what's really really exciting about this, And I know the people that know this release know about this, but it has what they call the Shush cut, which is a new cut of the film black and White, which he had planned to do. But he's got a great intro with his wife where he talks about they almost accidentally stumbled onto the sound mix, which is like they were doing the mix and the mixer had turned off all the music and just said the sound effects, and they were watching it and they were just like, oh, what's going on here? That's not right, and he's like, oh no, no, I'll just I'll fix it in a minute. We're just doing and then he was kind of like, oh shit, I'm actually kind of loving this. So basically, they stripped out almost all the music except for maybe the end and made it black and white. And it's even fucking better than the original movie, which I already liked. I already liked Hush. I think it's actually one of my favorite Flannagan movies. First, that's me, but the Shush cut is fucking great. Have you watched this yet?
Speaker 2: I've not watched the Shush Cut, but Hush I've seen multiple times. And like you mentioned, it not just disappearing from Netflix. It was gone for like eighteen months from everywhere.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. That's crazy. And I in the article today, I think was partially about those straight to streaming movies that you can only watch and that you know, you can't even buy digitally and that could go away, Like I will cry the day that Palm Springs drops off of Hulu because that is one of my biggest comfort movies. In fact, I almost watched it again last night. I've probably seen it four times since twenty twenty. And I'm not a guy who watches a time.
Speaker 2: I mean, I watch on a bootlegs.
Speaker 3: I need to do that, probably because ultimately it's one of those movies I love so much that I need I need to have a physical copy because I don't want to lose access to it. But that said, these movies going away is scary and upsetting, and so that's why part of this is really saying that. But not only did you get that, you get this new version of it, And that's not being talked about enough, because this this should have been I can't remember if I put this in my fork. I don't think I did. I don't think I put this on my four K list, which is one of those that I was like, that was stupid. You gotta talk about this new cut. But a ton of great features on here too. This is one of the best screen Factory releases period, Like.
Speaker 4: It's the best of the year, I think.
Speaker 3: Absolutely great stuff.
Speaker 4: And last one with four discs too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a ton of discs. It's like it's more dis than I've ever seen from them. It's one two, yeah, four discs, Blue Ray Special features Blu Ray Original and Shush Cut four K Shush Cut four K Ultra. So you get, well, they didn't Yeah, and they didn't put them on the same disc, which you know, I mean not to not to slag on Shot Factory, but you know, they got to save a penny here and there. That's not necessarily their mo to put them on multiple discs. So the fact that you get the Shush Cut on its own disc.
Speaker 2: Is great and choice. Knowing that he loves physical media.
Speaker 3: I would guess if I had to, I would guess that he might have been like, come on, guys, let's let's do it this way. So hats off to him for that. But I'm really excited for him too, And I hope more people get to check out the Shush Cut. If you were just so so on the movie, watch the black and white sound effects only cut, and I think you're gonna like it more. That's just mys And last one, this is just a sort of an ephemeral but this could forty five show from Warner Archive really interesting in the wake of something like Once upon a Time in Hollywood where we see Bounty Law. I'm not saying Bounty Law is based on this. I know it's more based on like I think it was one of Dead or Alive, this Steve McQueen show, But this is a similar kind of show. It's a black and white Western show with lots of great guest stars, and they've done a really spectacular job with it. It's when I didn't bring up on my box sess list and I was like, I probably should have brought this up because they are all sixty seven episodes of this show and it's beautiful. Warner doesn't do a bad job when it comes to transfers. So definitely a show that's worth checking out if you're a fan of If if Bounty Law got you, even the slight has been interested in, you know, Western TV shows, right, this is this is worth checking out anyway. That's all I got. I'm sorry to go on and on about that.
Speaker 2: No, No, you could have gotten another forty minutes and I would have been happy. I think Warren Archive did like three or four of those this year, and that I mean, first off, it's amazing for any boutique to look at a Western TV show from the fifties and say we're going to remaster sixty seven episodes of this and put it on Blu Ray. No one else is doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's nuts. I just got is this Shennon Doen? I think I just got that in the mail. I want to check that out. Yeah, their commitment to some of these older Western TV shows. Clearly there's an audience there. There's people that, uh collect that stuff because otherwise they wouldn't do it. But I gotta say it's it's definitely caught my interest. You know, there's some good stuff and some great guest stars in these older TV shows. It's just a wonderful time for character actors and guest stars like like Rick Dalton does in Once My Time in Hollywood. You're just seeing all these actors like, oh my god, he's in this or she's in this. That's amazing, so really fun discovery territory for TV shows.
Speaker 2: Well, we've reached the end of our segment to put it on like a button on the end of it. It's the end of the year. Who's a dream guest you'd love to see on Pure Cinema next year?
Speaker 3: I mean, okay, who. Richard Linklater is definitely somebody we've wanted on the show forever. I'm trying to think we have. I mean, you know, there's people like Scorsese is like obviously whatever, Like we'll never get him, but that'd be amazing. But like a link Later feels like we could almost maybe get him, you know, or like a Soderberg, we could almost maybe get him, you know, And it'd be great to have.
Speaker 4: You promote a couple of movies next year.
Speaker 3: Who knows, I know, I mean, you never know if you can get in touch. We're just not running in the circles of certain publicists, and we could if we wanted to. I guess we could try and really aggressively figure that stuff out. We're just like maybe too lazy about it to really dig in. But you know, it's we've had a lot of people on that we, you know, didn't expect to have on, right and having Quenton on like seven or eight times has been kind of ridiculous, So you know, we just kind of feel spoiled in some respects. But yeah, I mean those two are big ones. I mean, I'm trying to think if we have some other dream guests that I'm blanking on at the moment unfortunately, but link Later is like huge. We just love him so much and we'd love to talk to him. I'm sure he'd probably be bored talking to us, but he seems a little bored in a lot of interviews I hear with him. But I just adore his filmmaking. I still think he's one of the great living filmmakers. And even though Hitman didn't make my top ten films of the Year, I still was really entertained by it and really loved that he has that deal, and I want to see what he does next. The only thing I hate is that Netflix doesn't do shit to promote their movies, and so something like my number one movie of the year, Rebel Ridge, gets no promotion at all and is like, for me, just stunning, stunning film by Jeremy Solnia. I just thought that was crazy good, and you know, we were just super bummed that they didn't even play it at the Egyptian here in La so we could go check it out because it'd be a wonderful crowd movie anyway. Yeah, if we could get link later or Soderbergh, that'd be incredible, and maybe we'll get lucky. At some point it will happen. We'll see.
Speaker 4: I don't know all that too.
Speaker 2: Selfishly transitioned to say that for my Thursday night show, you have been one of my dream guests. You were somebody that I've respected for far too long to not have on the show, and so to be able to finally do this is a literal dream come true. So thanks for hanging out. I guarantee you over the next week, I'm gonna be getting all kinds of comments saying that you're one of the best guests that people have had on here.
Speaker 4: So thank you, think, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I just I don't know how to handle stuff like that. That's super kind of you, and it's it's just it's been so nice to see you do what you've done in terms of community building, like on a level that I just am not capable. I'm just not capable of that. I just can't. I can't. I like to interact with people, and I try to interact with much with people as much as I can on social media, but you have just gone above and beyond with what this community you've created here a disconnected in and on top of that you and I say this to people who care all the time. I'm like, Ryan is the guy that I go to when I have questions about physical media, and I try to keep track of as much as I can, but these days I lose track of a lot of things, and you always have the answer on the spot whenever I text you or like, Nope, that's this is what's happening with that, Nope, that's whatever, Like you always know. And I just love how committed you are to it the hobby, and how far you've gone with it, and the fact that you've gone into doing your own stuff these labels, which I know has not been necessarily easy in terms of life work balance for you. But that said, I'm so excited for you and and maybe even a little jealous that you've found the time and the way to work with so many labels, and that I know, I'm sure twenty twenty five is going to be as busy as ever for you moving forward. A little too busy maybe, yeah, that's the only thing about it, unfortunately, but you know, hats off to you for everything you've done man, and I'm honored to be on the show, and I would really like to do it again. I'll try and get special permission from my better half to do another one at some point, because it's been just a delight. Honestly, it's been a little bit of if I'm honestly you know, being alone for the holidays has not been my favorite year, and this has been something I've been looking forward to all week and it totally lived up to the hangout that I needed, honestly, So thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: This is a lot obviously, it's somebody that I've I've listened to for years. I mean we talked earlier about discoes and for people that have followed you, Like, I don't know how hipster this is going to sound, but when people now say back in the day, they're talking like when just the.
Speaker 4: Disc was at at speak.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna say back in the day, from back in the day when all you were known for was Discovery list at the end of the year, like that was the big thing. Everybody went to you and you yeah at a little website. Yeah, there's so many times that I just read those lists and went well, shit, my watch list just exploded, and I mean so many films I've watched because you've mentioned it offhandedly, and one of my favorite parts of this year was browsing a video store with you by my shoulder, looking at films and just going, this doesn't have a Blu ray release, Why the hell not. Let's look at it. Let's look at this one. Let's discuss it.
Speaker 3: That was great. CD Trader you're talking about. Was wonderful to hang out with you. I hope you can come back at some point because I'd love to hang again. That was just wonderful. But yeah, no, that was that was great. That was a great day, you know, hanging at CD Trader with you and Jeremy going to get lunch afterward was a highlight. All that stuff was wonderful. And yeah, it's been wonderful to see. I certainly would never try to take any kind of ownership over film discoveries lists, but I will say it has been wonderful for me to see that it's become a thing, like people are doing top ten lists and discoveries list Screenslate has just an incredible amount of these discoveries lists, and I'm the first one to steal from these, like in fact, I'm full of saying that I stole one from one of the screen State Slate lists for our Discoveries episode because I'm just like, there's too much good stuff on these I just love everybody's doing it, everybody's keeping track, and that's important because I really think it helps continue the ongoing conversation about not just new films. New films get plenty of love, but older films, uh, and what people are checking out, and what are the things that you're surprised maybe somebody hasn't seen, And maybe that makes you feel less embarrassed about admitting you haven't seen the fucking Holiday or whatever the hell you know you haven't seed, and that you're going in and being open and finally checking out those movies that you haven't checked out. I just think all that stuff is wonderful for the ongoing love of movies and keeping the conversation alive about older films, and that's what I'm really all about at the end of the day.
Speaker 4: Fully agreed.
Speaker 2: If if you are a fan of conversations like this, I'd love to have you in the discord. Joined the Patreon on the link of the description below. We it's kind of wild, how I mean, even during this show tonight, there's been tons of messages posted over there, so it's a bustling community. We'd love to have you. But other than that, all I can say is thanks for ending the year on a high note. This has been, This has been like a dream month. I had Will, I had a Joel from Scarecrow Video. I had Aaron from Criteria Now sending journeys and ending on you. That's a pretty damn high note.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Joe Ye had Joe from Vineger Syndrome too, not this month, but also a great interview. Yeah, really good stuff. Man, keep up the great work. I know it's taking its toll, and I know you're a family man. I know it takes you away from your family, and that's you know, that's difficult and all that's so kind. Thank you sir, Thank you flickering waves. Yeah, it's tough. As family people, you have to really find that way to balance and sometimes the personal movie stuff takes over a little bit and maybe you feel bad about it. But you are doing a lot for this community and for people in general, and I think you know what you do is a highlight of their week, you know, just doing this stuff consistently for three years and almost never missing a week. Dude, I can't. I could never do that. I just couldn't know. I know one hundred percent there's no way I could do it. So hats off to you for all the work you've done to keep track of everything that's going on and be my ultimate source for physical media information. Like you know, keep going if you can. But I certainly wouldn't blame you if if you lost this step here and there. But you haven't in all the years that I've known you. So again, congrats on everything you're doing.
Speaker 2: Here's to a big year for PUER Cinema and just the discs and more from both of us to come. Thanks for your time, Thank you everybody. Thank you for watching, making the interaction fun tonight. Absolutely and uh, I guess for the last time I can say this, We'll see you next year. That corny joke. See y'all. Thank you for watching The Disconnected. On the way out, make sure that you are a subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 5: Tell me no.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 6: This is Jason Kleeberg from The Force five podcast, a show that forces a guest to come up with a movie themed top five list topic, and then we reveal our picks on air. Top five heist Films, top five tier Jerkers, Top five movie Dogs. Every show you'll be asking yourself what would be on my list. Guests include directors, screenwriters, actors, podcasters, musicians, authors, and even a professional wrestler. Subscribe to the Force five podcast and you won't just be a listener, you'll be a listen nerd. The Force five podcast available wherever you are listening now.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. To hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network. Please select the link in the description.