Speaker 1: People are just getting so incredibly experimental with design, with cakes and with food in general. Just wow, the way that they're able to incorporate things you wouldn't put together, and it just looks like this beautiful masterpiece almost and it's a natural masterpiece that you can literally eat.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Plant Based Diet podcast where we talk about all things plant based. I'm mister Garfin, the host of this show and founder of Alternative Food Network. Join me in my amazing array of guests who are a mix of healthcare professionals, industry executives, and people with an interesting story to tell about their plant based journey. Let us help you with your journey wherever you're at to learn the what, why, and how to eat plant based Hello everyone, I hope that spring is in the air where you live, and spring reminds me of flowers. So today's episode is all about edible flowers. Last month, we published an episode about microgreens, their visual and flavor appeal and their health properties. So in today's episode, I'm continuing with that theme of function and form as I chat with the founder of Just Keep Growing, Holly Pugsley, who specializes in growing a variety of edible flowers and other good stuff. She, by the way, sent me pictures of her edible flowers with shots of them on some baked goods and a cocktail, and they are gorgeous. I've never used them myself, but I'd like to know how, because they really elevate a dish. So we're going to learn today together. Normally, the episodes of this plant based diet series are audio only, but because these edible flowers can be used to create such beautiful products, this episode will also be available in video on the Alternative Food Network YouTube channel in the podcast section, so you can also see what we're talking about. Just go over to YouTube, find the Alternative Food Network channel and find this episode and please subscribe. By the way, I'll also put the YouTube link in the show notes and now let's get to it. Welcome to the show, Holly, So nice to have you. Hi.
Speaker 3: How's it going? Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so excited, as you can see, in honor of this episode, well, for those who are listening to the audio, you won't be able to see this, but for those watching on video, I am wearing a flowered shirt in honor of doing this edible flower episode be beautiful.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're kind of matching here too, a little bit of the pinks.
Speaker 3: The pink's going on right right right.
Speaker 2: You know, in my intro I mentioned that you, among other things, you grow edible flowers. So I thought we could just start off right off the bat. Could you give us some context? What what do we mean by edible flowers and when it's used in baked goods or cocktails? And I know you've brought to our little set in quotes that some stuff. So can you show me what you do with these edible flowers?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll explain what edible flowers are because I think there's a little bit sometimes a little bit of confusion sometimes. I think people think, you know, I want to display with some flowers, I want to use them as a garnish, and they'll just pick them up from any store, any flowers store, plant store kind of situation. But it's not great that way. You can't use edible flowers that aren't organically grown. So that's what edible flowers means. It means that they are edible. There are a lot of flowers that are grown, mass produced and sprayed and toxins are used on them, so we don't want to use those. But edible flowers means that they're flowers that we actually can eat. For sure, they aren't poisonous to us, but also they aren't being sprayed by toxic solutions to try to get.
Speaker 3: Keep bugs at bay. It's really the way.
Speaker 1: We're growing them that makes the difference of being edible and non edible. But there are flowers that are poisonous to us that we should not be picking up every flower that's organically grown and eating it because it isn't great for us. But there are some flowers that are pretty fantastic and actually quite medicinal too, which I've come to find. But I will show you some of the things I brought the first, Yes it is. That's my favorite, so anyone that has come to my house ever, this is exactly my element right now. So I just brought some basic orange juice and I dehydrate fruit as well. So that's a little section of my company that I'm growing a little bit, just for more garnishes. But yes, so the beautiful grapefruit looks awesome there, but I've got a gorgeous bogonia flower to garnish the bogonia is quite sour.
Speaker 3: It's actually very candy like.
Speaker 1: It's one of my favorite edible flowers and one of the ones I've been growing for so long and had actually no idea that it was edible until I started my business, and I couldn't believe it it was. It's the most sour candy like. I'll never eat candy again or anything.
Speaker 3: It's just delicious. I brought a beautiful as well.
Speaker 2: Here we are.
Speaker 1: So I will move my drinks so I don't make a huge mess. But here are some edible flowers on the side. It's an angel food cake, my favorite, with some cool whip, just some classic cool whip with some strawberries and blueberries on the top. But we've got some violas and pansies on the sides, and a little bogonia in there as well. But you can just see the faces of them like they just look gorgeous and elevate any meal. So there's I have a lot of baker clients. I love private chefs, but for the edible flowers, it's a lot of those bakers and like more caterers, designers who really see a vision in the colors or textures or design and can kind of add it to their own creations. I think that's my favorite part about my business is seeing the other people create with what I'm growing.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. So for example, that cake, like you were saying, has different flowers on it. Yeah, they all have different tastes.
Speaker 1: These so these these flowers specifically, they're all the exact same so they just actually have different faces and different colors, so they're the same variety. These ones are violas and pansies, so they have a little bit of a they're a little bit of a lettuce texture, but.
Speaker 3: They have a little bit of a sweet taste at the end.
Speaker 1: It's really nice on cakes and cocktails as well. I do have a bogonia on here too, and that gives you, like that nice sour taste, and I think it goes nicely with the strawberries too, that citrus, that very sour taste.
Speaker 3: It does add a lot to it. These guys, I would say they taste I would say a little bit sweet, but we do.
Speaker 1: I do grow borage as well, which is one of my other favorites. I'm not sure if you've tried borage, have you seen that? They're blue star flowers and they taste like sweet cucumber. So you taste them and it's just this burst of freshness in your mouth. I love having them garnished on a salmon, smoked salmon with some lemon and some rice.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it's delicious. But it really adds.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you've ever grilled cucumber with your salmon dish, but oh my gosh, a little bit of cucumber freshness as well. And the color it really does add to it. The blue with the pinks. Yeah, so the meal just becomes elevated. But also these flavors are coming out as well from these beautiful garnishes.
Speaker 2: So is it correct to say that there are some flowers that go well with savory dishes and then other edible flowers that go with sweet dishes.
Speaker 3: Definitely? Yeah, you can mix and match for sure. Yep, yep.
Speaker 1: Each flower has its own palate, it has its own flavor palate, and it's just it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: It really can't accentuate each meal, each dish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how many do you grow different? How many different varieties.
Speaker 1: I would say right now about thirty to fifty varieties of just edible flowers. But it's growing the challenge is just growing in my space. So I grow in my spare bedroom, so it's pretty tight. Yeah, exactly, So I grow. I try to grow a lot of flowers that grow about like six inches tall to like twelve inches tall, Like my shelves are about yeah, like twelve to fifteen inches, so they yeah, as long as I kind of keep within that space. And I do grow other plants around my house as well, other flowers, but I do try to keep all my edibles in one room just to keep it contained. I started growing with aeroponic towers as well, so I'm able to grow a lot longer flowers. So I do a lot of Bachelor's button borage dill flower as well.
Speaker 3: We haven't even gotten into herb flowers. Herb flowers are the.
Speaker 1: Best, so I've this is like the biggest wow. I can't believe how many people don't understand that you can eat the herb flower. So the flower that comes out of the basil, chop it. It's so fragrant, it's actually more fragrant than the leaves sometimes, So if you're garnishing with that, it's fantastic on like a nice pasta dish or something like that you can really get into things, especially with dill. I don't know if you've seen the it's like a nice tou tou. The dill comes up like a little too too. I grow a lot of them more in the summer. I have some in my towers right now, not blooming but coming up.
Speaker 3: But they're beautiful. You can just make some beautiful, beautiful art with them. They just they look gorgeous. They look like little umbrellas. They're beautiful. Yeah.
Speaker 2: On the health side of things, do you have other examples for when you consume them, when you eat them, other examples of edible flowers that have foot properties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're packed with vitamin sea Vitamin C is one of the big ones, especially in Boradge.
Speaker 3: So I see a lot of people actually eating them in the morning feed and the kids in the morning.
Speaker 1: Putting it in with their into their fruit bowls and stuff like that, into smoothies, just to pump up the vitamin C in the I do eat them a lot too, just like little little candies, to be honest, but just because they're so good, I'm blown away.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if someone, let's say a chef calls you up and to place an order or someone a baker or whatnot. Are they asking you for specific edible flowers because they know exactly what they want, or are they saying, you know what, Holly, I want to make this kind of cake, what would go well with it?
Speaker 3: Both? I would say both.
Speaker 1: I would say my bakers ask for they kind of have their ideas. So I get a lot of like Pinterest boards, I got a lot of mood boards for what the cake is going to look, a lot of inspiration that's for bakers, But for chefs, I would say, they know what they're looking for and they will ask me to specifically grow those things for them.
Speaker 3: So I do.
Speaker 1: I partner with private chefs just so it's easier and they know what they're getting throughout the year. So I'll partner with them, find out what they want at the beginning of their season and make sure I have that grown for them.
Speaker 3: Throughout throughout their year.
Speaker 1: I do a lot of microgreens with the private chefs, and I find that herb flowers are the biggest hit with the private chefs because they love to garnish it on all their main courses rather than just their desserts. They love to get into the incorporated into the whole meal, which is really nice. It elevates the experience for all of their clients.
Speaker 2: And are you seeing an increase in demand for edible flowers?
Speaker 3: I would say so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The more people are learning about organic growers and indoor growers in Canada, I think it's becoming bigger. I find that a lot of people are searching on Pinterest and seeing on Instagram a lot of growers doing growing edible flowers in different places. Like California, for an example, is a really popular hub for edible flowers right now.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you see it coming more to like b C area.
Speaker 1: I see a lot of edible flowers coming up, And I think the population is just becoming a little bit more educated on edible flowers and what is considered a garnish because you don't want something that's been sprayed and poisoned touching the cake that you're about to sell to somebody else.
Speaker 3: Right, It's a little bit of a risk.
Speaker 1: So I think people are, especially with everything going on in our world, I think people are becoming more self sufficient minded at least. I think this kind of comes with that. It's an interesting niche, but it's got some poll and it's got some interest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's really And you mentioned the herb herb flowers chefs are to sit in that. Any other trends that you think are happening in this area.
Speaker 1: Oh, I would say people are just getting so incredibly experimental with design, with cakes and with food in general. Just wow, the way that they're able to incorporate things you wouldn't put together and it just looks like this beautiful masterpiece almost and it's a natural masterpiece that you can literally eat.
Speaker 3: I think that's trending the most.
Speaker 1: Just something fantastic and unconventional that you're looking at that you can actually consume, and it's safe and healthy for you to actually consume. I think that's like the direction a lot of my clients are going, and I think that industry is going. Yeah, just more artistic. I think people are getting more experimental with their food, and I think why not. I think people want to eat pretty things, all right, And.
Speaker 2: If someone's not a chef, they're at home, they're making a beautiful meal. What would you recommend they start with?
Speaker 3: Basil flour.
Speaker 1: It's an incredible garnish, smells so good in any honestly any cocktail.
Speaker 3: But really, it's such an amazing garnish in.
Speaker 1: Cocktails as well as any dish like cakes. I've seen them on cakes look stunning. The shoots of the flower. Shoots are almost like a stalk, a tiny little stalk, so the shapes of them are but you can use them on cakes. And then I love garnishing with basil any meal, honestly, any meal. I could put a little bit of basil on there. Yeah, some flour too. The basil flower actually is white and gorgeous. It comes up like a stalk and there's little bell white flowers that come across and you can pick each one off, or you can just lay the stalk on it.
Speaker 3: It's just it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: And if you get into colored basils, like tie purple basils, you start getting more magenta flowers too, which is really really beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and is that for like a savory dish?
Speaker 3: I would say, yeah, what about for pansies?
Speaker 1: Pansies all the way, mostly because you can flatten them. They do really well with a baked good. I love to press mine first and then you get that preserved color and then you can kind of you can I've seen people almost use a sugar sugar liquid and just paint and just press them right on, just paint them right on the cookies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty cool. It's more delicate, very delicate flower.
Speaker 1: But they look beautiful. The faces are so unique on them, and it really Yeah, it adds a lot to a cookie face for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I actually I have a question. I'm asking it on behalf of a friend of mine. Yes, yeah, he grows an amazing garden at home, lots of vegetables, and he had a question. To be honest, I don't know a lot about this stuff, but he does. And he had a question about male versus female flowers and which, for example, he gave the example of a zucchini, which can you eat.
Speaker 1: I would eat the males because I believe the females will produce the fruit.
Speaker 3: This don't hold me to this, but like that, that's what I'm thinking, and that my first thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think any edible flower, it's not that it's not to be good for you, or it's gonna hurt you or something like that. It's more actually about preserving the plant being more sustainable. That's where I'm thinking right now. It's just to keep that life cycle going, and also don't eat too many blooms from an herb. Well, herb plants are okay because they love to be chopped like that, but from cucumber or vegetable flowers, you want to make sure. You want to make sure you're not taking too many so that that plant actually produces something for you too, just so that you get the best of both worlds. Because not every flower will pollinate in bloom, not every single one, hope you hope, but not everything the one, So you can take and remove a few as you go, but yeah, you want to you want to make sure that plants preserved. Unless you have many of them, then you can kind of sparsely go ahead. Yeah, but with like violas and other flowers that I grow, Viola's love to be picked. They will love it. Same with borage, so the more you pick them, the more they grow back. It's it's quite amazing actually, But yeah, with a.
Speaker 3: Cucumber example, I think that's what I would say about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stick with the mails all right, and if someone wants to get in touch with you, maybe you can tell listeners where you're located, where you shift course, and your contact info like your Instagram handle and all that of course.
Speaker 3: Yes, so just keep growing Company.
Speaker 1: I'm in London, Ontario and my Instagram is just keep Growing Company, and if you'd like to reach out to me on email, it's just keep Growing Company at gmail dot com. Yeah, I ship every two weeks to Toronto and the GTA area, and I do free delivery in London, Ontario, So if you are looking for edible flowers, definitely let me know. And I also co host a podcast called Growability. It's at growabilitypod dot com as well if you'd like to check that out. We do interview lots of cool professionals in the urban agriculture industry, and yeah, we talk a lot about food security, community, lots of good stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to my US listeners that you won't be able to enjoy Holly's products.
Speaker 3: But maybe one day, maybe one day.
Speaker 2: One day, very one day. And for those who are closer geographically to Holly, she has agreed to help us do a giveaway of a box of her edible flowers. So if you live in the Greater Toronto area or anywhere in between the GTA and London, Ontario, please sign up for our newsletter because in our next newsletter, we are going to do a giveaway. Thank you so much, Holly. It was a pleasure to meet you and see your wonderful, beautiful cake and cocktail, and I wish you much success with your business.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for connecting with me. I hope you have a lovely day. Thank you.
Speaker 4: I hope you found this episode helpful. Please share, rate, leave a review, and follow Plant Based Diet on your favorite podcast listening platform and on the Alternative Few Network YouTube channel, where you can also find recipe videos. If you're on social media, please follow us on Instagram at Alternative Food Network. We also publish a monthly newsletter that includes plant based recipes, our latest podcasts, and the occasional giveaway. You can sign up by going on our website at Alternativefoodnetwork dot com and click the newsletter sign up button. Until next time, Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: All content provided or opinions expressed in this podcast or for informational purposes only, and are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please seek advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare practitioner.