Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Breaking News with me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about two new massive RPGs and switch To pre orders starting up tonight. It's gonna be a good one because we have Jake Randall on the episode. Jake, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm doing great.
Speaker 1: How are you doing, Jeff, I'm doing excellence. Yeah, kind of stood up stay stayed up late to catch the new episodes of and Or and they were very good, so I was very happy with that.
Speaker 2: He staying up late again tonight.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be staying up late again tonight. Yes, we're gonna be trying to get those pre orders for the switch To, and I'm gonna be relying on you. We'll definitely talk about that here in a second, but I know you've been doing a lot of prep on that. I guess how are you feeling about this lead up to us here in this country finally getting the chance to uh a pre order a switch To.
Speaker 3: Well, we were just talking about this on the pre show a little bit, but we're getting a lot of mixed messages because there's certain parts of the world where it seems like the stock has been great, pre orders aren't too challenging, definitely not PS five level. And then there's news, you know, like what came out today about how much demand there is for the sign ups in Japan and Nintendo. It's pretty bizarre for Nintendo to actually make a statement saying they can't meet the demand. Yes, so it's it goes both ways. But to be honest, I think this is definitely going to be easier than the PS five Series X launch seems that way because it's Nintendo and it's a new product. It is probably going to sell out here. But I think if you're on top of it, I think if you get on preorders right away, you should be okay. And I do think there'll be multiple pre orders before launch date. So if you don't necessarily get it to don't freak out. This is, you know, the big hype. Everyone's going to be going for it. Just don't freak out. It'll be okay everyone. You know, if you preorder it now or pre order it in a few weeks, we'll all get it the same day.
Speaker 1: And for those that don't know that this is Jake's specially speciality, like this is where your butty or bread right where you help people figure this stuff out. Show people the notes you were showing me a little bit ago you got. He's got pages of notes about understanding the best way to get these preorders.
Speaker 3: Making a pre ordered guide video on YouTube to answer everyone's questions. So I wrote down every question I've gotten, my YouTube comments and on Twitter, I put them all in there, and I put a little guide for each retailer too. But I take it really seriously because as soon as I accept, Okay, I'm going to help people try to pre order this thing, then all of a sudden, I have a responsibility. I don't feel responsible to do it, you know, just every time, But as soon as I say yes, I'll help you, I feel pressure to give people accurate information and to help as much as I can.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, let's actually let's get into it. So let's explain what we do here most weekdays, I, Jeff Grebb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on twitch welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game breaking news, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the show with those switch to preorders begin tonight. So if you if you're Eastern time, it's midnight. If you're on the West coast, it will actually be nine pm. It's all gonna line up that way. I can't help you right now with Minecraft Kit. I'll help you in a little bit, okay. And then so with the pre orders tonight, it is going to be all major retailers, but not like the Nintendo store, right that's going to be later. So do you have like a preference, Jake, for where people should try to focus their energy or is it kind of like a like a shotgun approach just kind.
Speaker 2: Of go Yeah, that was one of the biggest questions I had.
Speaker 3: So the only exception is game Stop is not going live at midnight. Their online orders will be tomorrow morning at eleven am Eastern eight am Pacific. And then when their store is open, which is typically noon whenever your local store opens. They have a separate allotment to pre order in person in the store. But yeah, they're the only one that their online pre orders are not going live at midnight. So it's kind of nice because game Stop is automatically your backup plan, right if you don't get one at Target, Best buyer, Walmart, or the three that will go at midnight, then at least you have one other to try, in addition to possibly the my Nintendo store. But Amazon's not doing them.
Speaker 1: And they broke up again. Yeah, Nintendo and Amazon broke up again. They're on again, off again all the time exactly.
Speaker 3: So Amazon's doing it in the rest of the world, just not the United States. So between Target, Walmart, and best Buy, they all have pros and cons. Best Buy and Walmart use a qu system which helps against the box. Target does not, so they might go faster. But between Walmart and best Buy, I would go with Walmart because they're you know, obviously, the size of Walmart as a company is much bigger than best Buy, and their servers and their website handles these kind of things a lot better, and most people are going to probably go for best Buy because they're doing that midnight launch. So if you go for Best Buy, I would go for one of their bundles. The more expensive the bundle, the easier will be to get because scalpers only want the Mario Kart bundle and in the base.
Speaker 1: Car the bundle would eat into their profit margins of them trying to scalp it.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, exactly. So they have some crazy bundles. Some of them are up to seven hundred dollars. I don't think you need to go that crazy, but those ones will last the longest. And then but I would I would go with Walmart because they guarantee delivery by nine am on launch day and they used to be pretty bad, but so they have a bad reputation, which is also why people might not choose them first, right, but for them, definitely try for all three. But I would keep in mind that Walmart's probably going to be people's best chance. The Best Buy app is terrible, So if you're going for all three and you're also trying to do it on your phone, don't go for Best Buy on your phone. I would say, okay for either Target or Walmart, but that's that's kind of where I'd rank them.
Speaker 1: Okay, So as people are making these decisions, is there like a best practices for like splitting up like multiple devices. Should they have like like the Target app and like all their stuff preloaded on their phone? Like? Is that just basics at this point? Make sure you have your account on Walmart and Target and best Buy and all the payment info already and they're ready to go. Should people be doing that right now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Obviously you want to do your prep work.
Speaker 3: You want to make sure you have accounts for all these places ready to go. You want to make sure you have your shipping info and your payment info. And a tip that works really well is during like restocks or pre orders. Obviously, these retailers are servers are getting throttled. So if you use PayPal or Apple Pay or red Card or Google Pay instead of a credit or debit card, it increases your chances exponentially because it processes your payment on those company servers instead of the retailers servers.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, So I would do.
Speaker 3: That, And also I would recommend if you can only go for one on your phone of the three, I would recommend Walmart because if you have Walmart up on your computer and also on your phone in their que system, it'll give you a separate place in line on each of them. Oh okay, it's kind of like getting two chances. And then while you're waiting in the queue on Walmart and best Buy on your computer and also waiting in the queue and Walmart, then you can focus on the target website in terms of refreshing, since that's the only one of these that doesn't have a que system.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, interesting, Okay, So if you if you were trying to get a switch to tonight, you had, you know, just enough money to get get one, Like what is your like your go to Like what is the one thing that you recommend everybody do and like the best path forward? Like what would you say to that person in that situation.
Speaker 3: So honestly shameless self plug here, but I think it is really helpful, not just because of me, but I will be live streaming the pre orders, and the actual benefit to the live stream is it will let us adjust on the fly. So if certain websites aren't working on your end, if you're not on the stream, you just have no idea.
Speaker 2: What's going on.
Speaker 3: You don't know, you don't realize. Oh this website's the servers are just down, so I shouldn't be focusing on this right now. But in the live stream I can tell you that. And I have a lot of experts that are smarter than me in a lot of ways in my chat that can also tell us that. So as a community, it's not really even my thing. It's the community working together. And in the past we've gotten employees to give us backdoor links and stuff like that in the chat, so it can at least instead of you panicking, and it can at least paint you a picture of Okay, is everyone having this problem?
Speaker 2: Have the website sold out? Should I give up yet?
Speaker 3: So if you can only do it for one place, I would be prepared for all three. Obviously, wherever you get in your order is good, but using the live stream can really help to figure out what.
Speaker 2: You should be focusing on in the moment.
Speaker 1: Yep, okay, very good. I'm gonna be watching tonight for sure. I'll be hanging out in chat looking for all the tips we can get. And I think the thing that you open with with the don't panic, don't if you don't get it right away, just there's gonna be other opportunities even before this thing comes out, Right, there's gonna be another probably like drop from retailers. Like, so people shouldn't have that immediate feeling of fomo like maybe they might have felt with the PS five, which was a really extreme situation.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, there's gonna be canceled orders, orders that get declined because of payment methods, and the retailers wait till a significant amount of those to pile up, and then they will also get allocated more stock that they're not counting for, and then they'll drop them all together in random segments. And so when those drops happen, they're potentially easier because there's not this one week build up of everyone knowing that they're going to happen. And the other thing is, at the end of the day, Mario Kart is going to be a launch title. But even if you don't get it at launch, but the next big game doesn't come out till July, like Donkey Kong, it's not like you're missing out on too much.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day.
Speaker 3: If you don't get it right at launch day, you're just gonna have more stuff to play when you do get it, which will be probably an even better experience, yep.
Speaker 1: And then as far as getting these switch twos into the country, there is beginning talks of the country backing off on some of the tariffs, even on China. So you know, this initial batch that they rushed into the country, maybe after this stuff settles down a little bit, which who knows if they actually will. You know, Trump's gone back on his word a number of times now, but if he does, then they might rush another batch into the country like immediately because they want to. They won't necessarily believe it will last either, So I think there's some maybe good news on the horizon here for these consumer electronics products. All right, Jake, excellent, that's very helpful. Any any other things that you want to mention before we move on from this, like anything else that's like rattle around in your head. You're like, oh, man, I wish more people knew about.
Speaker 3: This, honestly, not off the top, but you know, after the podcast, you know you have plenty of time. I would in the description of my life treatment also just on my channel, the most recent video is that guide that will cover everything we kind of just talked about, plus a lot more too, So I would just recommend just going over that put it on the background. It's like twenty minutes. You saw my notes. It was very hard to condense. But that's my last thing.
Speaker 1: Excellent, Thank you so much. What was the like, where should people find the YouTube channel? Should they just go sert of Google, Jake Randall on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Yep, Jake Randall on YouTube or Twitter x it'll I'll.
Speaker 1: Come right up well. Speaking on this topic, and Nintendo is already apologizing for not having enough switch tos. This comes from Ethan Gatcha at Kotaku. Switch to pre orders don't begin in the United States until late tonight around midnight, but they've already been underway in other parts of the world, and even Nintendo has been shocked by the level of demand so far. The company said that with over two point two million fans seeking to pre order a switch to directly from my Nintendo in Japan alone, the demand already far exceeds its ability to fulfill shipments to that country. At launch, we received an extremely large number of applications, approximately two point two million people in Japan alone, Nintendo president Shuntaro for Okawa posted directly on Twitter today. However, this number far exceeds our expectations and far exceeds the number of switch to consoles that can be delivered from the Mind Nintendo store on June fifth. Therefore, unfortunately, we expect that a significant number of customers will not be selected when the winners are announced tomorrow April twenty April twenty fourth. So they're doing a lottery in Japan. They don't do that in a lot of territories. I think, you know a lot of I think they think a lot of other territories don't like the idea of a lottery, And maybe maybe they're right about that. Japan is more accustomed to that sort of thing. Two point two million trying to get in there, obviously a lot of that. Jake is going to be like, if you are, you're going to be spreading out your chances. A lot of people are going to try to go to the retailers. They're going to try to go to you know, online stores, and then if this is an opportunity, they're going to go do that as well. But two point two million right there at launch for the Mi Nintendo option, that is a pretty big demand for launch. Like if they sold two point two million switch tos just in Japan, in the first month. That would be really really good. So, uh, it does sound like you're right where we talked about earlier. The mixed messaging on the availability of this thing is kind of a little confusing, but I think you know the bottom line, right is this thing is going to sell out at some point here pretty quickly after it goes up for sale, right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other thing that's a little tricky here is well, it's been fairly easy in par the world to pre order once this comes out, once the game start coming out, you can actually expect it to get harder to get the longer it's out, because even the Switch one has historically sold out every holiday season. There's been other factors into that, there's been chip shortages and things like that, but even like five six years into its life cycle, to Switch one sells out for the holidays. So factor in like the demand for this, the fact that the one hundred and fifty million Switch one user base doesn't have it yet and will be a lot of those players will be wanting one, and I expect it to be probably hard for pre orders then possibly like a little after lunch a couple a couple of months into it to get a little easier, but then like comes September in October, it might be harder than preorder time. The other thing is they have the most amount of stock during pre orders. They've been building up stock for months and months. Now it's going to come down to how many they can produce each month, so they'll never be able to stockpile units again. So that's gonna make it harder to get as well. So your best chance is probably like the pre order phase then maybe a couple months in, but then it's gonna get really hard to get. And then first quarter next year it might start to get easier.
Speaker 1: Yet right the slack might come back, like they won't begin stockpiling again, but the demand will sort of calm down a little bit. So okay, yeah, and I think Nintendo recognizes that to a certain extent, which is why they're out there kind of explaining this. But uh yeah, we will have to kind of see. But I'm i'm i'm imagine it's gonna go a lot like what you said, where it's you know, people who really want to run right right now, if they kind of put their head down, they'll have a good chance of snatching one. And then if you do. Wait, that period closer to the holiday is going to be more difficult. All right, Let's get on to some of the other news. C Obscure Expedition thirty three is a Game of the Year contender. I wrote down here just based on its early reviews. And it's not like this is a handful of reviews. There were more than eighty on Open Critic, where it has a ninety two ed Nightingale at Eurogamer gave it four stars, said that the French take on a GRPG is out has outstanding artwork and glorious combat that bring Claire Obscure Expedition thirty three's bold, painterly world to life. Richard Wakeling at GameSpot gave it a nine out of ten said Claire Obscure Expedition thirty three is a phenomenal RPG or RPE as we call it around here, telling a heartbreaking tale well incorporating thrilling action into its tactical turn based combat. Dom Pepiot at VG twenty four to seven gave it five stars and said they say art is all about eliciting an emotional reaction. If you could do that, all the effort expended in creating it was worth it. I think Claire Obscure does that with Uplum. If you have ever loved role playing games ever, you owe it to yourself to play this. It has the to touch you on your heart, all that good stuff. Yeah, Lexi and Chats gave it a ninety eight out of one hundred. Everyone I've been talking to Jake who's been playing this has really been liking it. I have it. I haven't had much time to play it myself, but I will be. I played it in the there was an early preview phase where I played quite a bit of it, and I just think it's got the juice. It has got the stuff that people come to these games for, and then it doesn't try to do too much outside of that, and I think that's pretty wise. It focuses on delivering like a really well done acting and storytelling and then a really good combat system. So I think this one's really going to catch on with a lot of people. Is this one that's been on your radar, Jake?
Speaker 3: It? I mean it hasn't just because I've my backlog's been a little crazy. But I'm a huge RPG guy and I'm actually really interested because I'm addicted to turn based comment tactical RPGs srpgs. But one thing that when there's so many things to play in these games take a lot of time. One thing that kind of steers me away is if the story isn't compelling, if that part doesn't pull me in, it's you know, it makes it really hard for me to put all my time into that.
Speaker 2: But this game sounds like it has that.
Speaker 3: It's so definitely after hearing that, now it's it's kind of jumping up on my list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I think it's exactly that that this is. You know that that's not always something that that captures me, but in this case, what I have played of it and have seen of it, it did like the story was something that won me over, and it's like, well, I don't necessarily need that personally, so when it does, it's always like this nice bonus. And then when that happens, I can usually tell it's like, if it's getting me in that way, the people that like you that do come to these games for that kind of of strong compelling storytelling storytelling are really going to have something to fall in love with here. So that's kind of been what everyone's saying and then on top of that that, really I just find it a super engaging combat system where all the characters have a little bit something different going on, and they all have their own sort of gameplay loop of how one action that you do feeds into the next action, and then that feeds into the next action that's even bigger and more impressive, and then it sort of flips over and starts all over again, and you just feel like you're always working towards something. It just it really understands the genre, really understands its own mechanics in a way that I have found very impressive. So yeah, yes, I think this game is can pop off.
Speaker 2: But I'm currently playing Astrobot.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, fair enough, Hey, that's a good game too, finish.
Speaker 3: Definitely gonna platinum it. I'm like, I'm like halfway through, but yeah, now I've got another one.
Speaker 1: Yep, Hey added to the list for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do think this game is going to find a massive audience. It's it's going to be a lot of people's new main thing that they're going to be thinking about for the rest of the year, and it is one of the reasons why I am like people keep playing. Hey, Oblivion launched this week. And obviously there are a lot of people who play all kinds of games, concluding both in Oblivion and RPG like this, But I think this one's gonna find its own audience, very separate from from that noise.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a stacked year.
Speaker 1: Yes, already is kind of like there's been a lot of good.
Speaker 3: Game our world, Donkey Kong, Pokemon Legends, this game, GTA six, Ghosts of Yotai. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, And speaking to Ghost Yota. Ghost of Yota release date set for October second, I know I can't never. I think it's Yota, but I can't remember for sure. From Darren Bonteuse at game Spot, ghosty Ota has an official release date locked in as the upcoming open world samurai game will be released for PlayStation five on October second. Developed by Sucker Punch Productions, the game is a sequel to the critically acclaimed Ghost of Sushima. This got announced that blog post Sucker Punch revealed more about Ghost Yota's plot, which revolves around the protagonists Atsu hunting down the Yota Six, a gang about laws who murdered her family. It's just like they're completely just ripping off that assess it's Creed Shadows game. Yeah, this is a little bit surprising, Jake, because what we've been hearing is people are not going with the release dates. They're not nailing these things down because Grand Theft Auto six is still hanging on the horizon. But they're going with early October, which to me says they know Grand Theft Auto six isn't coming out before then, right? Is that what it says to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's that's what's what people are saying. That's that's what going around. And yeah, it kind of definitely makes you feel that way. And for a game the size and the scope of GTA six, it often happens that whenever they announce a year and not the date it comes out at the very end.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, I mean I think that the earliest that Grand Theft Auto six could come out this year is late October. I think that is.
Speaker 3: Probably what's possible it gets delayed into twenty twenty six, oh for sure. Sure.
Speaker 1: In fact, we have our Fantasy Critic League, and I think Mike picked Grand Theft Auto six and then I counterpicked it just on the hope that it does get delayed. And that, you know, the hope, but really I hope it comes out this year because I want to play it. But that was I'm like, there's a good chance that thing does get delayed, and yeah, yeah, but at the very least it's it's not early October, it would be late October and then through the rest of the year if it comes out this year, which there's still a really strong chance it does, but you know, we're getting close to that time. You know, we're going to be planning for Summer Game Fest kind of NonStop for the next month. Like people need to know their dates, and if your game is Grand Theft Auto six and it really is coming out this year, you probably do have to start being like, no, we do have a real date for that now that we are going to stick to and tell our partners and like people like PlayStations so they know what's going on, they could feel better. You know, at the end of the day, the game being done will dictate all of that, and they'll have to do that first. But if the game is getting to a point where it's ready now is about the time where I would expect them to have a pretty good idea when that thing is actually coming out, So do you think we hear about that here in the next couple of weeks next month. Do you think they hold off until they like the last minute to tell us the actual release date, Because once they announced it, everyone's gonna know, because it's going to be everywhere, it'll be impossible to ignore. So they kind of have the leeway of announcing it whenever they want, right.
Speaker 3: I think similarly to companies not wanting to reveal games or release games around GTA six because it'll kind of take over all the attention and they'll lose, you know, whatever they're doing in the chaos. I think rock Star probably wants to wait till after like switch to stuff, wait till wait, till after some of these other games have come out. I think they would also like to like kind of have center stage, to have that big release date. And obviously the big thing that's been a problem with them is they don't want it. They don't want to get leaked. They want to have control of when that gets announced, so they might even just not be picking a date internally yet because of that.
Speaker 2: It's such a big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that you're right that it's like that they are going to take all of the leeway that they're possibly given. If you are a big game and your game sort of sells itself, you do have that slack, so you might as well use it because it's honestly, it saves you money. It saves you money on marketing, saves you money from having to like try to crunch people to get something done in a way that isn't that it actually isn't ready for. And so it's like, Okay, let's just kind of go with the flow here, see how things are going. We all know when we want this thing to come out, but let's not say anything publicly because we don't want to have to like correct the record, which also does just cost money in terms of marketing. So yeah, I think this is just a lot of it's just driven by simple business decisions at this point. And I think at the same time, they are probably out there having conversations with partners like Sony being like, yeah, no, don't worry, it won't be out before the middle of October. So if you wanted to release Ghost of Yota on October second of this year, excuse me of this year, go for it. You're going to be just fine. You'll have a couple of weeks to yourself and yeah, that's probably right.
Speaker 3: Well, I had a question for you, just your opinion when it comes to do you think that Rockstar is watching how people are reacting to the price of Mario Kart and do you think they know what they want to charge for it yet or do you think they're kind of taking advantage of being.
Speaker 2: Able to see how people are.
Speaker 3: Reacting to this and kind of they might have something they're looking at but they're open to they don't have a set price yet.
Speaker 2: Is I guess this is what I mean?
Speaker 1: No, I think that's right. Is you know it doesn't always work this way with software, but if people like look back to when we were wondering, hey, what it's the price of the PS five and the Xbox Series X going to be, and everyone's like, well, they know, they're just not telling us. It's like, no, they don't know they have a range. They're waiting for the other person to make a move, so they're like, so they don't look out of step. And then they both played chicken and then they kind of both like at the last minute decided on five hundred because they're like, the other one's not going to go to six hundred. If the other one went to six hundred, maybe we go to six hundred. So they decide the price. That's the last thing that they decide on. For hardware and software, you kind of are a little bit more pinned down because people have an expectation of what things should cost. Now we've seen normally it's pretty set right, but things have become a little bit unchained from that, and the anchor of the price has been lifted a little bit. And I do think that now Mario Kart frees them up to be like a little bit have a little bit more flexibility. But also the reaction does make it so it's like, well, you got to keep in mind people will be angry, but they have a chance now to see how Mario Kart eight actually performs. Like people are saying one thing, what do they actually do when the rubber meets the road, and they actually actually have to decide if that game is worth eighty dollars and it's grand theft out of six so it will have even more demand actually than a Mario Kart. So I think they're they're going to decide at the last minute that they I don't think there's any way the game is under eighty dollars at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say this kind of gives them the green light to at least go eighty. But if they are then the next ones to raise over the eighty price point, they could see some of this backlash.
Speaker 2: So this this.
Speaker 3: Might cap them at eighty and then a lot of DLC and you know, online micro transactions and stuff.
Speaker 2: They probably want to have that route.
Speaker 3: So I think people that are saying one hundred, I think just because of like what that what that price point would mean, and.
Speaker 1: Just just the.
Speaker 2: Just like the look of it would just be so shocking.
Speaker 3: I don't think it'll be one hundred, but I think at I agree with you, and it possibly like a little more, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's they are. I'm sure they are worried a little bit about a backlash, but the backlash I think they would view it as well, that's temporary and people will get used to whatever price we set. And in five years do we want to look back and be like, I'm glad we didn't have a backlash for three months? Or am I glad that we got an extra ten to twenty dollars for every copy we sold for the last five years. I know which way that they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good way to look at it.
Speaker 1: You're right, I know which way that they really how they really feel about that. But they the realities, they do have to take price pressure into consideration, because every dollar you increase it does mean fewer people will buy it. But do you think your thing has so much demand that won't matter. I think they probably feel that way about Grand Theft Auto six. The reality here is they almost certainly just get creative with the price, right, eighty dollars for a base version, one hundred dollars for something that has all the stuff that you really want if you're gonna play GT Online two or whatever. That looks like something. We still have no idea how they're going to present that early access.
Speaker 3: The TS six version. Then we're gonna have the PS six pro versus.
Speaker 1: Of course, yes, and then the play at a week early for one hundred and twenty dollars. That sort of thing. They'll sell a lot of copies of that. That'll be the bulk of their sales honestly, in the first year if they could. And so I don't think that they will avoid that either, so they'll find a lot of ways to get that average price up well above eighty, but the minimum is going to be eighty. All right, let's take a quick break. When we come back, we're going to talk about Matt piscatella drop in the latest SIRCANA report for US game sales, and a lot more right after this. All right, back into it on Game Breaking News. Jeff Grubb Here, it's Jake Randal. We're going to talk about March twenty twenty five SIRCANA report. Here. It is from Matt Piscatella. March twenty twenty five projected US consumer spending on video game hardware, content and accessories declined six percent when compared to last year. And that's to four point seven or yeah, to four point seven billion dollars total assassage. Creed Shadows debuted as the best selling game of March, ranking second year to date so far US video game market. March spinning trend. This is them kind of just tracking how things have gone. March twenty twenty five, content spending fell four percent versus a year ago to four point two billion dollars. The only growth segments were non mobile subscription which was up eleven percent, and console digital premium downloads, which were up twelve percent. Mobile content finished six percent behind March twenty twenty four, so even mobile spending was down. They do have a chart where it shows like how marches have gone for like the last let's say, like, yeah, let's like six years, seven years, and overall it's very flat, like it's just not growing. There was a spike in March of twenty twenty one, big surprise, and then since then it's back in line with March twenty twenty and it's basically been the same ever since. So there's like four straight years of not a lot of growth in the US total video game spending market that includes mobile. So I think a lot of times if we talk about this and it's like, well, the console space is pretty even, but on the mobile side things are growing. So they're like for people that make games, they're looking over there and it's like, well, even when you count that in there, the overall spending on video games is pretty flat for four years in a row. As mentioned, Assassin's Creed Shadows was the best selling game of the month. It's the second best selling game of the year so far, MLB The Show the new version was number two. WWE two K twenty five joined the chart at number four, and number five was Split Fiction. Pretty good showing for that game. Let's see here rest of the chart. Yeah, okay, some notes from Matt about some of these games. Assassin's Creed Shadows was the best selling title in March, instantly becoming the number two best selling game of the twenty twenty five year to date. Assassin's Creed Shadows finished the month ranked first in full game dollar sales on Xbox platforms and second on both PlayStation and Steam. MLB The Show twenty five ranked as the second best selling game of March and led all titles in full game dollar sales on PlayStation platforms. Tracked launch month dollar sales of MLB The Show twenty five, or twenty three percent higher than those of MLB The Show twenty four during its March twenty twenty four debut period. I think that game is no longer on game Pass, and that might be what happened there, Okay, Jake. Basically, it's like some new games came out, they performed pretty well. It's still like the sales for software down year over year, regardless of that. Do you think that we are in a place where Switch two comes out and kind of cures a lot of what ails the gaming industry right now? Or is there more to it than that.
Speaker 3: I think it's kind of a little more complicated than that. I think that the backlash with the prices doesn't really help. So in a way, the switch too is kind of hurting it as much as it's helping it. Nintendo always produces quality software there. Their games are very polished, very fun, but I think there's a lot going on right now. When those numbers kind of peaked, it was around COVID and there was also new consoles coming out, so that was part of it. So that's why I switched to could definitely renew some interest, but we can't really.
Speaker 2: Recreate that situation, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So it was never gonna always be like that, but the world's populations always getting up. That's why there's always records being broken for most selling games. I'm sure Mario Kart World will will break records, especially being available in a bundle with the console.
Speaker 2: But there's just it's so easy.
Speaker 3: There's so many like handhelds like the Steam Deck and things like that. Where it's so easy to emulate past libraries and it's just becoming more and more accessible for the average consumer to easily do that. And there's so many games out there that you could be a hardcore gamer and play video games every day and never really have to spend any money or you know, at least be able to wait for heavily discounted sales, especially when you know it's going to come from companies like Ubisoft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I think it's like all of those factors are are so huge of the reasons that like console gaming specifically isn't growing, Like those barriers of the price were always an issue, and the industry seems to have no real interest in solving it. Those solutions they did come up with. Cloud gaming is just not something that has clicked for a lot of people. You know, I've talked about a story on Monday's show Jake about the renting PS five being very popular in Japan. It's like something that yeah, and that's like okay, yes, so clearly there is a demand there of people who want to play these consoles, do not want to spend five hundred dollars or more on them to make that possible. So they're looking for an alternative method, but the cloud option is not something that they're really considering. They'll just instead rent a consoles. Okay, So there's still this gap that needs to be bridged, and in the meantime, prices keep going up, and so the traditional method of hey, buy console, buy some games, that is not It's not more appealing, it's less appealing and feels like, well, if I'm someone who was looking over there in that direction and I'm already playing something free on my phone, I'm just going to keep playing the free thing on my phone. So it's definitely the industry kind of putting itself in this position in a lot of ways. But also the stuff does get more expensive than they have reasons that they need to grow, and so them trying to get more money from the same people. I understand that, but boy, I don't think this is a long term sustainable strategy. But that's not the way these companies think. So I think Switch too will come along and we'll answer a lot of this because obviously where the switch was a big part of booing the entire least video game sales in the United States and around the world, and it's at the end of its life, so a lot of the declines we see year over year are attributable to that. So the switch to coming back on the rise will be fantastic, But in the meantime PS five and Xbox Series X are both like experiencing major declines of their own. In fact, we have a note here from Matt much. Yeah, March video game hardware spending fell twenty five percent when compared to a year ago, to two hundred and eighty six million dollars. This is the lowest March hardware spending total since twenty nineteen. PlayStation five hardware dollar sales fell twenty six percent in March versus a year ago. However, this platform once again led the market in both dollars and unit sales, so it's down massive digit percentages and still is out selling.
Speaker 3: A similar decline in like PS four sales right before the PS five came out.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when there's a new console, people are going to be saving for that. That's that's probably a minor factor at least.
Speaker 1: Yes, so that that We had Matt on the show a couple months ago now at this point and he mentioned it is like, yes, this is the time where these consoles do see a natural decline. The bell curve of sales were over the hump there. But he did note that these declines, like twenty six percent, is much greater than what he was expecting. He thought it would be a more gradual decline and this seems to be pretty precipitous. So I think there's just again multiple factors there. Of the system is expensive and in a lot of ways, in a lot of places has gotten more expensive, like the PS five and the people who are sitting out, we're sitting out, sitting out specifically to save money. And we know that they they had some discounts on PS five a couple of holidays and row where I was like, actually can get this for like three hundred and fifty dollars, and even that was too much for quite a few people. You know, they're PS five sold really well.
Speaker 3: I feel like the entertainment industry as a whole, like even movies and shows. I feel like everything's kind of just people like they're not going to see movies in the theater. I feel like everything's on the decline right now.
Speaker 1: Everyone just is saving a little bit extra money, and the expensive costs of everything I think is a huge factor there, so switch to will only solve so much of that, right, because it itself is very expensive. All right, let's see anything else from this. He also notes that people are buying a lot of accessories though, so although year to date spending is down sixteen percent actually and it was down eleven percent in March. But if you're selling accessory, make it black apparently, because black accessories were the top selling across all categories there, So there you go, all right. Persona four remakes speculation picks up as website gets updated again. This is from Mike Straw at Insider Gaming talk surrounding a potential reveal of a Persona four remake is continuing to pick up steam online. Late last month, Key nine fans discovered that a website with the domain P four r dot Jp had been registered. It was quickly pointed out that just three months before it was revealed a domain for our the domain of P three r e dot JP was also registered for Persona three remake that launched in February twenty twenty four. So people are drawing drawing a direct correlation here, Jake of this happened before, so maybe we'll get this game very soon, and at the very least. People are also noting that this website is getting updated frequently. It was just updated a couple days ago apparently. So does feel like we are gonna find out about this pretty soon? Of course, this is no guarantee of that. The website could be just a placeholder this is this is yeah, no guarantee, but Persona four remake has been rumored and speculated on seems pretty likely. Do you think this is something we hear about pretty soon? Oh? I for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean as soon as you know they did Persona three remake, It's like, Okay, Persona four remake is gonna come at some point. It's an even more popular game, you know, whether you like three or four better Persona series ever since three, like three, four, five has just exploded, And as soon as as soon as they remained three, you knew four was gonna come. And I think with this website coming out, it absolutely points to they're gonna share it soon.
Speaker 2: Or at least it's it's probably ready to be.
Speaker 3: Shared and they're trying to pick the exact perfect time. Maybe we'll see it at Summer games Fest. That would make sense, But honestly, I'm I'm more interested when we're gonna get Final Fantasy nine and Persona six.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, Persona six is probably something that they are gonna say for quite a bit longer whenever I talk to my friends or a huge Persona fans, so like, yeah, no, it's it's happening, but I'm not expecting to hear about it anytime soon. Final Fantasy nine, though, that's one they keep like teasing in every way except for just saying that they're doing it, So what is going on there? Maybe maybe that's another one that could be at Summer Game Fest, although I think I've said that about every like major show for months now. Yeah, that is one of the last few games that was in that Nvidia leak that has not come out, so I continue to that.
Speaker 3: And it's so funny because that was one of the most hyped games from that leak, and it's just it's almost like we're getting teased every time another game comes out and that one is an announced hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, Square Enix now has started up a Final Fantasy nine like anniversary thing. It's what it's it's twenty fifth thirtieth anniversary something like that. Yeah, twenty fifth anniversary, and they keep talking about, Hey, and there will be other projects as well, so here's a bunch of merch you can buy. And I said, well, what are the projects? Can you just tell us what's going on there? And they keep just not saying it.
Speaker 3: It's not to diminish from Persona four because I'm extremely excited for that. That's an amazing game, and I also want to I mean, Atlas has just been killing it the last few years. Metaphor Refantasio is basically Persona. It's like a Persona game in a different setting, right, I mean everything about it feels Persona, but it's really refreshing. So that's the fantastic game too, so I really can't complain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And as people are plating out in chat, if you are desperate for a Persona Exhibition thirty three is very much inspired by Persona games, So there you go, get in on that action.
Speaker 2: Now I'm even more sold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, a Persona with adults, It's what they're saying in chat, all right. Oblivion Shadow dropped yesterday, and who could have predicted that was going to happen. It peaked at one hundred and eighty two thousand concurrent players on Steam, though, which you know, current players for a single player game. I get it. I always just used as an indicator of how a game is performing in terms of sales. That is a massive number and a lot of people are playing this game and buying this game. And that's just on Steam, where you know, the game is also available on game Pass on PC and Xbox, so I think the thing must be doing very well. I am very excited about this game still. I'm going to be checking it out. It was gonna play a sim yesterday, ran out of time and I couldn't. But it seems like they've done They've done a good job, and it's one of these games that like came out of nowhere and I'm like, I wonder what the controversy is going to be Jake, where I'm like, oh, I'm sure there's gonna be something wrong with it, and people are going to be they're gonna hate it, something about it, and that'll be come the entire conversation. That does not seem to be happening. So I think people are pretty happy with this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think people are just it's yeah, it's a pretty drama free release so far, which is great to see. It's funny because the original Oblivion was one of the first things to have a lot of drama about the price of having to pay to get the horse horse.
Speaker 2: Like mind blowing.
Speaker 3: Now it's started, and I think there's like a version you can get that comes with that, which.
Speaker 1: Is, yeah, the dual Exhibition. It's sixty dollars. Yep. There's a fifty dollars version and a sixty dollars version that comes with the horse armor. So still doing it to this.
Speaker 2: Day, okay, yeah, but no one cares at this point because.
Speaker 1: Really, wow, but we're so used to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: I noticed that there's no announcements for coming to switch too yet, but I think it would be really cool. I don't know if they would do this, but they did it with Skyrim where they put the Master Sword and Link Shield in the game, and I think that would be pretty cool if they did that for the switch to version.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. And as Snackda points out, the one thing of drama that is happening around it is there is the Microsoft boycott by BDS, and that, you know, it does seem to be hitting the game a little bit, but that BDS boycott is still like picking up Steam I think, I think, and a lot of people are trying to figure out where they fall on it. All right, excuse me, let's see here instead of shutting down mod remaking Oblivion in Skyrim. Yeah, the mod's remaking Oblivion in Skyrim, but does it gave the team Oblivion remass keys. So essentially, there's the sky Oblivion mod that a bunch of creators are working on to remake Oblivion in Skyrim. They've been working on it for years and they now, you know, Bethesda has their own version of that idea. You know, they're not remaking it in Skyrim. Then remade the visuals in Unreal Engine five, and you could imagine like a couple like Nintendo being like, shut that down, we don't want competition from the community. Well that's not what Pothessa is doing. They are. Instead, they gave keys for their version of Oblivion remastered to that entire team, and the sky Skyblivion team was like, just like, thank you. We think that this game coming out is actually going to help us as well. So everyone's kind of getting along over there, And I gotta say I appreciate this aspect of things of you don't have to squash every sort of fan show of devotion when it when it just takes just because it takes the form of a video game like that, people want to make their fan art and they want to make their fan games, Let them do it, and it really is not going to hurt any thing in the end. It clearly has not hurt Oblivion, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's so cool.
Speaker 3: I mean, the people that are making these mods are the biggest fans of your names, so I think it's it's amazing to do that for them and show that appreciation. Probably made their year. You know, it's frustrating the way Nintendo goes about it. They're kind of like how Disney is with their intellectual properties. Yes, I get it, it makes sense from a business perspective, but it doesn't always make sense, you know what I mean. Like it's some sometimes when you see all the love, it's good. And you know, Nintendo has, especially like the Pokemon Company has. It's been speculated that they've used fan created Pokemon to inspire their designs. It's hard to say because most Pokemon are based on real animals, but there are some very compelling cases where you can look at some fan made Pokemon versus what Nintendo did, and there's so many similarities that kind of makes sense. And I don't know, imagine if Nintendo open up a contest, you know, to create your own Pokemon and it will be added to the game. That would be so much publicity right there, like the next game, whatever performance issues that have, that would totally kind of take over, you know what people are talking about. I wish Nintendo would do stuff like this more so, shout out to them for doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's definitely I always point out it's like the difference between Lucasfilm for a long time and CBS Paramount with the Star Trek, where Lucasfilm was actually pretty litigious and stopping people from making a lot of Star Wars fan films, and Star Trek was just like, go to town, do whatever you want, make all this stuff, make your own entire fan shows and stream them online. And we love to see this stuff. And it's like, clearly one of those is better than the other and helps grow and foster's a community of creative people who want to be a part and like eventually a lot of those people are going to end up making the real ones because they will have built up so much talent and skills, and they'll go work in those fields professionally and then maybe one day actually make a real Star Wars for you. So yeah, I'm if I'm one of these game companies, I am definitely finding every way I can to support the mod creators. Now, Oblivion Remastered doesn't support mods out of the gate. I think they're mostly just saying, don't install the mods that already exist for Oblivion into this game because it'll probably break it is. What is how I read that. I bet the community will figure I bet the community we'll figure out that, figure that out really soon. And at that point, I think, but that it will just stand back and be all right, go to town. We're not going to get in your way, all right. Last thing here, Activision confirms tonyaks pro Skater three plus four will have a career mode, but fans are still confused. This is from Joshua Robertson at The Gamer, and I too, am still confused about this.
Speaker 2: I'm curious to hear this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see we can figure this one out. Tonyawk's Pro Skater three plus fours reveal earlier this year was a big surprise to many, and there was a lot of excitement over potentially revisiting some of the classic Many Hawk games with we all grew up with. Unfortunately, a lot of the excitement was then ruined by the reveal that the games wouldn't include pro Skater Force free roam career mode. Instead, the game will have a new streamlined career mode in which players have two minutes to complete challenges. It was a major blow to many fans, though Activisions. Activision seems to now be doing the best to make sure the entire situation is as confusing as possible, as it appears to have rubbished its own comments and confirmed career mode after all. So there is a tweet that they posted where they said, who said there's no career mode? And then they show small snippets of gameplay of Tonyak pro Skater for missions, and it looks like it's suggesting that the original career mode is in there as people want it to be, although they didn't just come out there and explicitly state that. And the one thing that is making people think, giving people hope is there is like a two second segment of this video that has a timer counting up and so that seems to suggest like, Okay, for the mission that you're doing for this tony Oks pro Skater for objective, you're gonna get a timer counting up because there's no two minute timer counting you down. It's just tracking how how long it takes you to do that.
Speaker 3: So you can like time, is that counter out? Because could it be counting up to two minutes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's at forty two seconds. Yeah, Jan's getting here. For everybody on the video version, there's some Tonyak's pro Skater content creators who are like looking very closely at this, and you know, I think I might have one from someone here. Okay, now I didn't bring that up, but essentially what he said was I can't tell from looking at this this He's like, it's either this is like a version of a speed run mode where people can like take those missions and go do a speed run version of it, or this is the full career mode and there was for some reason they just confused the messaging out of the gate, or they've made some changes and they've restored that. And it's like I think he was saying he leaned towards this being a speed run mode and that's kind of where I'm at as well. I don't want to get my hopes up and you would get other people.
Speaker 3: They just completely reinstated the career mode, and they went out of their way to you know, make a statement about it that they would be.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, that's the best way to put it, Jake. I think is like if they were doing it, they would say that they're doing exactly that without any sort of confusion around the matter. This this feels like trying to muddy the messaging and be like, no, there's a career mode and you're gonna be fine with whatever we put in here, Come on, relax and yeah, well I.
Speaker 2: Tend to agree.
Speaker 3: It seems like it's one of those situations where we got to wait for it to come out to confirm exactly.
Speaker 2: And I think they're going to not do review copies like early Early.
Speaker 1: No, because I think that they are of the opinion and I'm of this opinion Jake, that once people get their hands on this, this concern the concerns people have about this not being the Tony OOKX pros skater for that they want, we'll mostly go away because it's like, once you're playing it, I bet it's gonna be like, oh right, it is different. But I see how they what they mean by streamlined and how this is actually still a very fun game and probably going to be better in a lot of ways. I think it's going to be an improvement in a lot of ways, even if it's not exactly what people are saying they want now. Once they get their hands on it, I think a lot of people change their mind, I hope.
Speaker 2: So I hope that's the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely me hoping in that as well. But I do think that's probably how this will go down.
Speaker 3: So that does kind of make sense if they're confident in the products and they think it is actually more fun this way, but people just can't experience that yet. You do have to have it come out, So I hope that's the case for sure.
Speaker 1: Yep, we'll see. It's the game's out July eleventh, so not that far away at all. We got Donkey Kong Bonanza and then that a couple days later. All right, that does it for the headlines. We have poll questions we need to get to. Let me go ahead and bring it up here. This one is from Monday. Let me scroll down here all right, have you ever rented a console? Yes? Or no? I actually did rent a police station one well once forever ago, thirty years ago, jesus. Thirty four percent of people said that they have actually rented a console before sixty six percent said no these days, or at least for like the last ten to fifteen years, it's like, where would you even go to do that? And maybe like a rent to center and then they're consoles. I don't think game Flavor did consoles. I don't know. So it's like, yeah, like we were to our smer I guess, yeah, rent a center and that they'll charge you like so much that.
Speaker 2: It's clear that that it's known to it it's.
Speaker 1: A bad deal. So yeah, but maybe some people are talking about that when they're saying yes. I don't know. I think this is something that might come back a little bit, but it's not going to be a major part of the industry, at least not in the United States. I don't think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't really see it working in our market.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. Okay, that does it for that poll question. We have a new poll question we'll get to here in a second before where we do that though, Jake Randal one more time. Tell people where they can find you on the internet, what you have going on, what you want them to watch, all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: You can find me if you just search Jake Randall on YouTube or Jake Randall switched to. You can do it on YouTube on Twitter x and if you're trying to pre order, switch to or maybe you're gonna wait a little bit either way to be fully prepared for how the retailers work. I have guides on my channel. The most recent video on my channel is a master guide that has it took me a really long time.
Speaker 2: We showed the notes at the beginning of the stream for that.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna throw those out after, but uh, I'm gonna be live streaming tonight as well, So all of that stuff is on my channel. So the best part about the live stream isn't even me. It's the fact that we have, like you know, thousands of people there that collectively can let us know what websites are working, what websites aren't. To keep you in the loops, you're not just kind of guessing on your own right and kind of panicking.
Speaker 2: So hopefully this is a smooth process.
Speaker 3: But I do expect even if even if the stock is sufficient, the websites are going to probably crash and servers are going to go down right at midnight. So just hang in there, and like I said, if if you're panicking, come to the live stream and I can, I can assure you and keep you in the loop of what's going on.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm looking forward to it. I will definitely be watching, We'll be streaming as well, but I'm going to have you on. I might just be pointing everybody in your direction if they're really having a hard time keeping you, keeping you, keeping everybody apprized of what's going on. Looking forward to actually, yes, yeah, I'm looking forward to it actually because it's like, man, I been wanting to be able to pre order this and having that delay happen was a real tough thing. So I want to get my hands on this system ready for all of this tonight.
Speaker 2: I really took the window of my sales as well, but.
Speaker 1: I exact, yes, we're back, exactly, We're back, everybody. All right, new poll question right here, are you going to play Oblivion Clear, Obscure Expedition thirty three or both? Your options are Oblivion Expedition thirty three both or neither. That pull question is up on YouTube dot com slash at giant Bomb under the community tab right now, so you can vote on that. We'll get the results. We'll talk about it on Game Breaking News tomorrow here on the Power Block with Giant Bomb and GameSpot. In the meantime though, on the website and on the Power Block and a little bit, I think we're going to be playing some marathon. Then after that there is I think a clear obscure expedition thirty three streams, So new games are happening for the rest of the day today and then we'll be back tomorrow with that Game Breaking News episode, Voicemail, dom Truck, a bunch of other fun stuff in the anytime. Jake Randall, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talk about video games. Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me on. It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Jeff Yep, anytime, and thank you all for watching. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.