Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI had KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Good morning. It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Monday, April fourteen. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Hope you had a fabulous weekend. The days started out a little sketchy, but then the sun came out. It was beautiful. It's gonna a little more cloudy this week, but that's okay. Still dry. How about those Dodgers? How about those Dodgers.
Speaker 3: It's sorry, but no, they're your team.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, are you making fun?
Speaker 3: It's a little rough, rough weekend.
Speaker 1: Hey, even the best of the best have a bad day every once in a while. It was a good day for MOI. I finally did my taxes. I know they're not really due tomorrow because I'm in La County, right, but I was like, you know what if I don't do them now, they're just gonna sit there and it's going to keep bugging me and bugging me. So I procrastinated as long as I could and spent pretty much all day Sunday organizing everything.
Speaker 3: Do you think you're getting a refund?
Speaker 1: I doubt it. I have to wait. I have to send everything off, Like mine are weird and complicated, so I send them off, so I said, fingers crossed like everybody I know. Oh's though, I'm probably gonna yeah, are you? I thought only rich people had to pay a lot of taxes and also the last of us. I'm back. That's right, it's back. Yes. The second season first episode premiered last night on Max. Lots of questions, lots of questions, so I'm looking forward to that. Of course, that's one of the series. I can't binge it like because it comes out once a week and I'm no anticipating it enough that I'm going to watch it as it goes. I'm not going to wait to binge it at the end. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. Governor Newsim says pH will be open in time for summer. The highway that's been closed to most traffic since the wildfires in January is expected to reopen by the end of the of May, which is ahead of schedule. The mother of a seven year old girl has been arrested after the little girl was found dead in a bathtub in an apartment in Van Nuys. The LA County Medical Examiner's report released yesterday since the girl died from asphyxia due to net compression and drowning. US Senator Bernie Sanders has made an unannounced stop at Coachella following his anti Trump rally in downtown La Saturday that drew a crowd of about thirty six thousand. He took the stage at Coachella to introduce Clara and also warn the crowd of an economy that prioritizes billionaires over working families. As he put it, what some people are doing to keep their teslas safe as more people are being targeted over Elon Musk's involvement with DOGE. ABC's Jim Ryan's going to tell us about that in just a couple of minutes. Tariffs seem to be changing well almost daily. Kfi's White House correspondent John Decker is going to join us at fiveot twenty to tell us what has changed just since the weekend. At five point fifty and exhibit at the Reagan Library of even more profound biblical proportions. We're going to be talking with the head of the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Israel Antiquities Authority. And take a good look at my face. Smokey Robinson's coming to the Serrito Center for the Performing Arts this weekend on Friday. And guess what. We have a pair of dikets for you that's coming up all during wake up call. Hope you'll stick around for it. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom of the Menendez brothers is in the hospital in critical condition. Relatives are blaming La County DA Nathan Hawkman. Eighty five year old Terry Berlt's daughter, posted on social media over the weekend about her mom being found unresponsive.
Speaker 3: This is a hard video for me to make.
Speaker 4: I need to share with you that she was taken to the hospital by ambulance early this morning.
Speaker 1: The elder Baralt is the sister of Jose Menendez, who was murdered along with his wife back in nineteen eighty nine. The family says Terry Berralt got sick after prosecutors showed graphic photos of the Menendez bodies without warning during a court hearing on Friday. The resentencing hearing for Eric and Lao Menendez is set for Thursday and Friday. A man's been killed in a shooting outside the Long Beach Grand Prix racecourse. This guy, who lives nearby says he heard the commotion late Sunday, Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 5: This place is really near the turn eight of the Grand Prix, so there's a lot of police and fire and everything already prepositioned in the area. So when I looked out, the police were starting to run around already, and again I wasn't quite sure what what had happened, but some of them had their guns drawn.
Speaker 1: The man killed had been shot multiple times. Police say they believe he had been in an argument with the shooter. And lines at dm V office is expected to start getting longer as people apply for real ID. ABC sphill lipeof says starting on May seventh, anyone flying out of the US will need one to get on a flight.
Speaker 6: According to federal documents, as of January of last year, only fifty six percent of driver's license were real IDs.
Speaker 1: Starting today, ten DMV offices in southern California are going to open an hour earlier every day of the week except Wednesday through June twenty seventh. Of course, you can still use a passport. Let's say, good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan, So Jim. Tesla remains embroiled in controversy because of Elon Musk's involvement with DOGE. Are people still buying them?
Speaker 3: Well, we are.
Speaker 7: In fact, Tesla is still the best selling electric vehicle in the United States, but it's dominance has fallen somewhat. I think the number is forty four percent of evs are Tesla's those sold in this country, but that's down by nearly ten percent from just a year ago. What has happened in the last year, Well, of course Elon Musk has become close friends with President Trump. He was named head of DOGE, the Department of Government Efficiency, which fired thousands and thousands of federal workers, and suddenly Tesla's although Tesla has nothing to do with it except that it's CEO is Elon Musk. Tesla's have been the target of protests, the target of vandalism, and the target of controversy, and now the resale value has drop dropped off a cliff. There's something like eighteen thousand vehicles listed on one sale site alone, and you can go online to Etsy and purchase stickers that express your either disdain or support for Elon. Musk on the same page on Etsy, where you can buy a bumper sticker that says I bought this before Elon went crazy, you can buy a sticker that says still driving Tesla, still team Elon. So yeah, the market is still very much active in terms of expressing yourself.
Speaker 1: I would be concerned about the if I was a Tesla owner putting a sticker saying still driving Tesla supporting Elon, because I think that just attracts the crazies.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm sure, I think you're right, and that's why a lot of Tesla drivers are going the opposite direction. They're taking the badges, the Tesla badges off their vehicles and leaving it look looking like a plane car or replacing the Tesla badge with other things. You can get the Audi rings, those linked rings, put those on your car, make it look like an Audi. Yeah yeah you can. Or or Toyota.
Speaker 8: You can.
Speaker 7: You can make it look like a Toyota by putting Toyota badges on it. You can purchase those online. There's no mistaking a cyber truck though, right, I did disguise and ad something else, and so that's where these stickers are coming in. I saw a cyber truck the other day with a sticker it said Elon Musk and then that the name was in a circle and it was crossed out, expressing that Tesla driver's disdain for Elon Musk while still driving a Tesla.
Speaker 1: You know, I a friend of mine was asking me, it was about a month ago, and she's like, I don't know what I'm going to do about this Tesla because she has one. And I was like, what do you mean, what are you going to do about your Tesla? And she goes, well, people, you know, people are upset about it. And I was like, you got to be crazy. So to see this unfold is more people become I rate and attack the owners of the tesla. Yeah, as opposed to just you know, voicing their concerns or dismay with the owner of tesla. It's just kind of crazy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's the quandary that a lot of people find themselves in they're driving Tesla's and in many cases these people are are liberals who bought a Tesla because it's for the environment ostensibly, right, you don't have to put gas in it, and so it's a cleaner vehicle, and so that's why they bought it. And now suddenly fellow liberals are attacking their cars or vandalizing the vehicles or at least holding demonstrations against Tesla because of Elon Musk. So, I mean, it's a confusing time.
Speaker 1: For sure, attacking their own not so smart seriously anyway, Well, and.
Speaker 7: At the same time, beyond the protest demonstrations even vandalism, Yeah, you're finding that the resale value of Tesla's has absolutely plunged, and you're finding that they're flooding the market, the resale market with Tesla's because people are trying to get rid of them, presumably partly because of Elon Musk.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 7: Yeah, a public opinion is one thing, but dollars out there, that's a different matter.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Jim. Lawmakers are apparently getting involved. Are is it only Republicans or is it democratic? Lawmakers also looking to crack down on vandalism and destruction, well.
Speaker 3: A little of each.
Speaker 7: In New York State, specifically, a state senator there has introduced legislation which would add quote suppression or promotion of a political ideology for damaging private property would increase the penalty for doing that. So if you vandalize something just because you're being ornery, that's one thing. But if you vandalize it in the name of making a political statement, that would increase the penalty under this particular provision. But at the same time, in the same New York State Assembly, the other lawmakers are supporting a plan to divest state pension funds from Tesla, right, and blocking new Tesla dealerships from being set up in parts of New York. So you're seeing both sides playing out in the New York State Assembly. The supporters of Tesla and opponents of Tesla are making their views known.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm guessing that Elon Musk sits back every once in a while and thinks, Wow, I got a lot more than I bargained for with this good thing.
Speaker 7: He's super rich, right, he kind of maybe knew what he was getting into. He's been the face of Tesla's SpaceX and Twitter and now x ever since it all started, and so there could be one part of him saying I love this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well there's that all right, ABC's Jim Ryan, Thank you so much. Appreciate it by Amy. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom and all female crew of celebrities than others heading to the edge of space this morning.
Speaker 9: Those boarding the Blue Origin flight include pop star Katie Perry, CBS Mornings Gail King, and Jeff Bezos's own fiancee, Lauren Sanchez. They'll fly with former NASA rocket scientist Aisha bo, researcher Amanda Nuyen, and film producer Carrie Ann Flynn. It's a history making mission. The first all female space flight crew since nineteen sixty three. Lift off his schedule for six thirty in the morning, our time from Van Horn, Texas, Brigida Degastino KAFI News.
Speaker 1: Nuclear talks between the US and Tehran are expected to continue next weekend. Negotiators met briefly on Saturday. Sees Marcus Morris's US envoy, Steve Whitkoff, led the discussions, which were mostly done indirectly.
Speaker 10: With each delegation in their own room and communications done through OMANI mediators. But we understand that at the end officials did meet briefly face to face, and so much is at stake surrounding these talks, not least the stability of the entire region.
Speaker 1: The head of the UN's nuclear watchdog has confirmed he'll be taking a trip to Iran later this week. Suspected US air strikes in Yemen have killed at least six and wounded dozens more overnight. The Pentagon hasn't confirmed the strikes, but the US military has carried out about two hundred attacks against the Iranian backed hu This in recent weeks. The Houthis have attacked more than one hundred merchant ships since late twenty twenty three, claiming support for Hamas in its war with Israel. In Gaza, a man accused of starting a fire at the home of Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro allegedly planned to beat up the governor with a hammer. ABC's Aaron Katirsky says the fire was set over the weekend as Shapiro and his family marked the first night of passover. The governor says he woke up to police banging on the door around two am.
Speaker 5: He and his family quickly evacuating as firefighters raced to get the fire under control.
Speaker 1: Court documents released this morning, say the alleged fire starter scaled an iron security fence in the middle of the night, was able to hide from police, and broke into the governor's mansion. The charges include attempted murder, terrorism, aggravated arson, and aggravated assault. Hey, did you know President Lincoln was shot? This day in eighteen sixty five. Happened at the Ford Theater. He died the next day. On April fifteen, a man has been arrested after taking off all his clothes and roaming around New Orleans Square in his birthday suit. Workers at Disneyland apparently tried to steer guests clear of the guy as he climbed up onto one of the buildings Saturday, exposing himself to the crowd below. He's facing charges of trespassing, public nudity and being on drugs. Researchers are trying to figure out why so many whales are dying, after another one washed up on Huntington Beat. The body of a gray whale was discovered Friday morning. It didn't appear to have any injuries. At least three gray whales have died in San Francisco Bay over the last few weeks. The blocks are still rocking the box office, A Minecraft movie took in over eighty million dollars in its second weekend in North American theaters. It's already made over five hundred and fifty million dollars worldwide. The animated The King of Kings was a distant second ahead of Easter weekend, with nineteen million in ticket sales at six o five handle on the news. Pch expected to open a head of schedule and ahead of summer. Let's say good morning now to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. Good morning, John, Hey, good morning.
Speaker 6: How are you doing today?
Speaker 1: Amy doing good, trying to keep track of the ever changing tariff situation. And there's another new development. What is it?
Speaker 6: Well, the new new development happened on Friday, but there was more news that came out over the weekend. The new development being there exemptions applied for electronics coming out of China. That meant no tariffs on products like laptop computers and smartphones and flat screens. That sounds like good news for consumers wishing to purchase those products. Obviously good news for companies that are importing those products. But over the weekend we learned that these tariff exemptions, according to the President, are just temporary and that more tariffs will be forthcoming as it relates to the chips that power those products. Also, not every member of the administration, Amy is speaking from the same talking points. You have Scott Bessen, the Treasury Secretary saying one thing about tariffs, the Commerce Secretary, Howard Lutnik saying something else, and all of that just creates a lot of confuse, a lot of uncertainty for financial markets. And financial markets, as you know, Amy, they hate uncertainty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And in spite of that, the now futures and all the stock indexes, their futures are up right now. But I think it's interesting to watch. It's fascinating to watch because it reminds me of our old news director. And I always would say, I just do what Chris tells me to do the last thing he said, because it was always changing, you know, there was always little tweaks and changes. But with what Trump is doing, they're massive changes and they come quickly. So how do you keep up?
Speaker 6: Well, how do you keep up? That's a great question. And the President indicating there could be more teriffs ahead. We already know about the tariffs on farm built automobiles. Well, there could be tariffs according to the President as well on pharmaceuticals. The President would like to bring pharmaceutical manufacturing back to the States. So much of that happened outside the US, and so that's a long term goal of the President. But pharmaceuticals could be the next product that are the subject to tariffs announced by the administration. And as you know, we saw a trade war taking place in real time last week with China. Tariffs now on Chinese products with the exception of those electronics products one hundred and forty five percent. And there's a similar large tariff one hundred and twenty five percent on US goods that are exported to China. So we'll see if there's a tamping down of that trade war that happens during the course of this week.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I know you got to run. So one last question. Is there any movement any talks between the China and US or is it still just sort of radio silent there?
Speaker 6: No, there is not. The President says he's always open to speaking with President Shei of China, but there's no meeting, no call that is announced between the US and China anytime soon. Certainly nothing between the president, President Schaump and President she anytime soon.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we'll be watching it and paying attention because, like we just talked about, it changes sometimes by the minute. We appreciate your input. Thank you so much, Cafi White House correspondent John Decker. We'll talk to you soon. All right, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Green Day said it Coachella went out with a bang when a rogue firework shot toward the crowd and set a palm tree on fire. Video of the mishap posted on x shows the firework exploding. On Saturday, a TikTok video shows a palm tree bursting into flames. Firefighters were able to get it out right away. It's not clear if anyone was hurt. A thirteen year old boy from the San Fernando Valley allegedly murdered by a soccer coach has been laid to rest. The funeral for Oscar Hernandez was held Saturday at Heart of Mary Catholic Church in East Hollywood. His mother elapsed during the service and had to be helped back to her seat. Hernandez was killed late last month after visiting the coach in Lancaster. A friend of the boy tells kt AL, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: I was heartbreaking just see him seeing a friend.
Speaker 1: Mccaske, it's bad. The coach has been charged with murder and other crimes, including the sexual assault of another boy. A lawsuit against Uber that involves a teenage girl has been settled.
Speaker 11: The thirteen year old was allegedly picked up by an Uber driver and then assaulted in Harvard Heights. The ride took place around one thirty in the morning in April twenty twenty one, and attorneys for the girls say the driver dropped her off in an unsafe area. Court papers filed on Thursday confirmed the case has been resolved, though no details were released. Uber says it is not legally liable, but acknowledged the attackers should be held accountable. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: Raising children in the US is getting more expensive. A new study estimates it'll cost nearly three hundred thousand dollars to raise a child from birth to age eighteen. That's a twenty five percent in just two years. When it comes to childcare, The Department of Health says it should cost no more than seven percent of a family's income. Currently, no state meets that standard for median income families. Emmy and Director's Guild of America winning TV producer and director Don Mischer has died miss produced and directed the Academy Awards, the Olympics, and Super Bowl halftime shows during his career. One of his career highlights happened in nineteen eighty three during the Motown twenty five, when Michael Jackson broke out his infamous moon walk during a performance of Billy Jean. Don Mischer was eighty five. A man from Santa Monica has been arrested for allegedly making a bomb threat against the Coachella Music and Arts festival. Billy Say. The man told staff at a casino in Cathedral City on Saturday morning that he was going to vomit. The threat was determined to be false. Davis Darvish was arrested. Director of President Trump's National Economic Council, Kevin Hassett, says several countries have already come to the US looking to sign trade deals to avoid President Trump's tariffs, which are on a ninety day pause. The White House announced over the weekend that tariff exemptions are being granted for computers, phones and chips made in China. Golfer Roy McElroy has entered rarefied air, becoming just the sixth player to complete the Grand Slam of Golf. McElroy defeated Justin Rose in a one hole playoff to win his first career green jacket. He joins Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Gary Player, Jack Nicholas, and Tiger Woods as the only players to win the Masters, PGA Championship, US Open and the Open Championship. At six' oh, five it's handle on the news and don't go ANYWHERE i need. You, okay you're going to your. Thing uh handl on the news at six oh. Five edison is planning to bury hundreds of miles of power lines When palisades And altadena get. Rebuilt, okay want to say congratulate relations To Greg strong From. Anaheim greg is going to See Smokey Robinson friday night at The Cirito center for The Performing. Arts if you didn't, win you can still get tickets critocenter dot com or you can get them at the box. OFFICE i think that's going to be a, really really fun. Show Congratulations greg and thanks for listening To Wake Up. Call we appreciate. It, Okay so the girls are going into space. Today Katy perry's becoming a real life firework when she And Gail king and four other women head to the edge edge of space along With katie And. Gail who's the host OF Cbs warnings or something like, That Jeff bezos's Fiance Lauren. SANCHEZ i think she's the one who kind of got the group. Together asha Bo Or aisha bo is a FORMER nasa rocket. Scientist she now has an engineering. Firm there's also a research Scientist amanda And nwin and movie Producer Carrie Anne. Flynn we're all going up for eleven minutes on board a rocket and we were talking about this On, friday AND i think they're making it. PERSONALLY i think they're making a big deal of. It, oh it's all. Girls. OKAY i don't think it's that big of a. Deal But anne is kind of ticked about. It So, anne why are you not happy about?
Speaker 4: THIS i don't understand Why Katy perry needs to go up.
Speaker 1: Personally why is?
Speaker 4: That and that is because she's a mother of a five year old little. Girl that's, true AND i think this is a needless risk and she has you, know she needs to stay here and be.
Speaker 1: Responsible, Okay, well she says that she's being brave and, bold and she said that she's doing this for the next generation to inspire different, people especially young, girls to want a head to. Space SO i.
Speaker 4: Think that's selfish because, honestly she can go when her daughter's older and these other women are setting up an.
Speaker 1: Example why does she need to set the? Example all? RIGHT i get, that, Okay but THEN i have A i do have one question for. YOU i was thinking about this last night Because i'm, like, yeah, like why why go now when you do have a five year? Old but, then like our Friend Colonel haig who spent six months on The Space, station he's got, kids.
Speaker 4: Yep AND i don't know WHY i see it, differently BUT i. Do there's something, ABOUT i don't, know losing your. Mom, yeah you know that's your especially little girl or, yeah even a little boy as.
Speaker 1: Well it's just, like it's your, mom it's your.
Speaker 4: It's the person that you go, to the one who just it JUST i don't, know it's just odd to me that she would put herself in that. Position that you know, what So daddy can, say, oh your mom was taking you, know being, bold and you, KNOW i don't, Know i'd, Think.
Speaker 1: Okay, NO i THINK i think your feelings are. Valid and it is interesting that you don't feel that way about the, men because, again it didn't even cross my mind UNTIL i was kind of thinking about it last night as we were playing the, show AND i, went, oh you know, what how come it doesn't bugus when the guys are GOING i don't know that's. True, well they've Been Blue origin has been going up taking these short trips to space since twenty twenty. One bezos was on the first one with his, brother and then you Remember William shatner went up on. One they've done eleven human space. Flights some of the passengers get free, rides others have to pay a ton of, money and the company has declined to comment on who is putting the bill for the. Flight today and schedule to Leave earth at six point thirty launching From, texas we'll be watching it pretty amazing that you think about the cost that's associated with. This they're shooting up into. Space the total flight. Time total flight time is eleven, minutes like they're, up they're waitless for a couple of, seconds and then they're but oh, boy what a. Ride it's sort of like A i don't know what's the biggest ride at Six, flags gonna it was The Superman, okay so it's like that on, steroids, Right, Okay, uh we are going to now check in with Uh Bloomberg Scott cars is goot?
Speaker 8: There.
Speaker 1: Okay. Uh courtney's on vacation this, week and so we Have Bloomberg scott car with. Us good Morning, Scott good Morning.
Speaker 3: Amy it's got to be a better ride Than Space. MOUNTAIN i don't.
Speaker 1: Know Space mountain's pretty.
Speaker 3: Good and, uh that's one of my least favorite roller. Coasters.
Speaker 1: Really why because you don't like the.
Speaker 3: Dark, no it's because you're all the dark and you can't really see. Anything they don't bother to put, it and everybody don't want to get off on that. Tangent but, YES i find. It that's it's one of the most famous roller coasters in the. World i've been on it, twice And i've been on a lot of roller. Coasters it's not one of the best, anyway is enough for?
Speaker 1: You? OKAY i? Digress scott let's jump right. In we've been watching the stocks, obviously speaking of roller, coasters it's been a wild. Ride and after The president announced that pause on tariffs for computers and phones and, chips it looks like the stock market's reacting favorably to.
Speaker 3: That, yeah, well we're expecting some new sales data out this. Week This, wednesday we're going to get some new retail sales. Data and we expect now that they got a boost in the month Of march last month with an especially strong boost and auto sales and, largely do say many, analysts that's because the buyers were expecting these new tariffs and for prices to start to go.
Speaker 1: Higher, okay so just the threat of the tariffs sent people rushing to go buy big ticket, items which our money Guid Joel larsgaard, said don't. Do but it sounds like everybody did, it.
Speaker 3: Especially auto sales did very. Well, well we'll get the final word On.
Speaker 1: Wednesday, okay we'll be watching for. That a test of The trump administration's ability to challenge big. Tech there's an anti trust lawsuit against meta platforms that gets underweight. Today what's that.
Speaker 3: Very closely watched case, here of, course the tech giant still Was facebook when The Trump White house first filed this lawsuit back in twenty, twenty During trump's first. Term The Federal Trade commission alleges in the Lawsuit metas maintained a, monopoly and that lawsuit could end up Forcing meta to sell Off instagram And.
Speaker 1: WhatsApp WHAT i wonder what the likelihood of that? Is some smart, sucker we'll see.
Speaker 3: That, YEAH a lot of people want to know what this is going to shake, out because it'll impact a lot of other tech companies most.
Speaker 1: Likely kind of interesting, too because Now Mark zuckerberg And trump are kind of buddy. Buddy they're, like, Oh i'm still sing.
Speaker 3: You are they really buddy? Buddy, WELL i guess, said, well.
Speaker 1: On the surface they are. Anyway, yeah, Yeah, okay looks Like intel is close to selling off its stake in programmable. Chips.
Speaker 3: Yeah this is a big move For, intel the chip. Maker they're going to sell out their programmable chips Unit altera to a private equity, Firm Silver Lake. Management intel has been struggling, lately so they've been spinning off some of their businesses and. Assets intel Bought eltera back in twenty fifteen for about oh a cool seventeen billion. Dollars.
Speaker 1: Yikes, Okay So, scott when something like that, Happens intel's struggling a little bit and they decide to. Sell is does that generally bode well for their stocks or does it make them go? Down or what does it traditionally?
Speaker 3: Do it would depend on the company and the kind of business that you're. In so and the timing is. Everything SO i suppose this news probably is helping, Them BUT i haven't checked The intel. Stock i'll get to get that to. Tomorrow we could check into, it.
Speaker 1: Okay and AS i, mentioned the markets looking decent as we start the work week In.
Speaker 3: Deddoo stock features all pointing solidly, higher and that's largely because of the reduction of the tariffs that The White house has now taken off of Many chinese electronic imports down features up four hundred and thirty two, Points nasdaq features up three hundred and fifty EIGHT smp features up eighty three.
Speaker 1: Points, Amy, oh we got a long way to go to get back to where we were a couple of weeks. Ago thank You, Bloomberg scott car getting in your. Business let's do it again, tomorrow shall? We we Shall, okay thank you so. Much have a great, Day, scott you.
Speaker 8: Do.
Speaker 1: Amy then all, right let's get back to some of the stories coming out of THE kfi twenty four hour. Newsroom Governor newsom Says Pacific Coast highway In malibu will reopen in time for. Summer we are on track to reopen the highway by the end Of. May the highway has been closed pretty much since the wildfires In. January newsom says a lot of works being done to make sure the roadway is.
Speaker 5: Safe working With Kyle, trans working with local, partners working with The Army corps Of engine we have organized a process to do just.
Speaker 1: That newsom says he understands how disruptive the closure has been for residents and businesses and people who just want to enjoy the. Highway expected to open by the end Of. May traffic will be restricted to one lane in each direction for a. WHILE a nineteen year old has been killed when A toyota Fore runner crashed Into. Mecula another person had minor. INJURIES a person riding in the back wasn't wearing a, seatbelt had to be cut out of the vehicle and suffered major. Injuries the Chpieces the driver overcorrected ON sr seventy nine early yesterday, morning lost, control and slammed into a power, pole then flipped. OVER a small earthquake has Rattled San Diego. County the shaking happened just before three yesterday, afternoon south Of julian and east Of. Vermona THE Us Geological survey says the quake had a magnitude three point. Five when suv driver's been hit and killed by a big rig on the Five freeway in Sun, Valley police say the driver had gotten out of HIS suv near The Sunland boulevard off ramp around nine thirty yesterday morning and wandered into traffic when he got. Hit pullyse say they're not sure yet why the driver got out of his. Vehicle uber has reached a settlement with a teenager who says she was sexually assaulted after being dropped off by Her uber. Driver the driver apparently picked the then thirteen year old up In ventura at about one thirty am In march of twenty twenty three and dropped her off In Harvard. Heights her lawyers claimed the driver should have known it was dangerous to drop her off in the middle of the night in an unsafe. Area Katie perry becomes the real firework when, She Gail, king and four other women head to the edge of. Space they're scheduled to launch From texas on A Blue origin rocket at six point thirty this. Morning we're just minutes away from a. Handle on the news this, morning DMVs are opening early starting today in Southern. California bill's going to tell you. Why right, now let's say good morning to the head of The Dead Sea Scrolls unit at The israel And tick with. Authority it's Doctor Joel. Uziel good, morning, doctor.
Speaker 8: Good, morning good. Morning thank you so.
Speaker 1: Much for calling. Us we understand you're calling us From israel this.
Speaker 8: Morning, yeah that's, right it's not morning for. Me it's late. Afternoon.
Speaker 1: Perfect, well it sounds like you're right next. Door so The Dead sea scroll exhibit is happening now at The Reagan Presidential. LIBRARY i got to go and check it. Out was really. Interesting so if you haven't, been now is the time to. Go if you've already, been you might want to go again because the scrolls of The Ten commandments are now on. Display tell us about The Dead Sea, scrolls The Ten commandments and why we get to see.
Speaker 8: Them that's exactly. Right now is the time to, go even if you've been there, Already because The Dead Sea Squirrells exhibition is at The reagan for nine. Months every three months we switch out the scrolls with a new set of scrolls that we bring over because The Dead Sea, scrolls which are a unique set of documents that date back two thousand years to the period Of Second temple, Period judaism and the period of the rise of Early, christianity and they were preserved in the dry desert. Climate but in order to conserve, them we only display them for three months and then they come back To israel to our storerooms and rest for five. Years, however this week we put a special scroll on display and it's only going to be there for two, weeks and that's The Ten Commandment. Scroll, Now i'll just say The Dead Sea scrolls on the whole include the earliest copies of The Hebrew, bible The Old, testament that have been found to, date and they date back some two thousand. Years The Ten Commandment scroll is the earliest copy of The Ten commandments that we, have which in includes all the. Commandments and what's interesting is that The Hebrew bible actually presents the tent demandments, twice one time in the book of That exodus and one time in The Bookoon's. Deuteronomy and this version of the Tense amendments actually is a sort of combination of the, two bringing some aspects from each because they're not exactly the. Same And i'll just give one. Example for, example the commandment to keep The. Sabbath different reasons for keeping The sabbath are given into two different versions In exodus And. Deuteronomy, yeah so one says that the reason for keeping The sabbath is Because god created the world in six days and on the seventh day he. Rested and the other reason is for the exodus for The jews Leaving egypt after their slavery. There and this version actually brings both reasons for keeping The. Sabbaths and so it's a very unique, document and scholars believe it was probably used to read The Ten commandments in a public let's say display or reading in front of the.
Speaker 1: Community, wow That i'd never heard that there was that there was two like that tell us because you're, speaking you're talking about a two thousand year old. DOCUMENT i, mean when we go To, WASHINGTON. Dc you can see the you can see The. Constitution it's only a couple hundred years, old and it's very faded and very. Fragile SO i, mean how are these even?
Speaker 8: Together, well the amazing thing is that the very very dry climate of The judean desert actually helped preserve the documents that are written on, leather and so they survived two thousand years in the, desert and in their initial discovery they actually learned true did it correctly because the knowledge for conservation wasn't, there and so some damage was caused in the early years of their. Discovery but over the past thirty five, years The Israel Antiquities authority has been using the strictest methods of, conservation which include keeping them at very strict temperatures and humidity and also limiting their exposure to. Light and in this way they're actually quite, visible and so you can actually see the actual document and if you Read, hebrew you can actually read, it which is amazing because it's the same script that is still being used to this day in Modern. Israel and if you have some difficulty seeing, it we actually we actually have the display next to the actual scroll has an infrared image of, it which uses infrared photographics technology to make the text much much. Clearer that is so.
Speaker 1: Cool AND i did go to The Reagan, library and LIKE i, said we talked about it on our out and about, segment if you'll, remember and it was interesting that everything is very very low. Light AND i remember that from when we went To, washington D. C, Too like they had the First american flag and it's displayed in very low lights because the light really denigrates the quality of the.
Speaker 8: Document, yes that's exactly. It in order to make sure we don't let the documents. Fade the lighting is very very, low but it's still enough that everything is very clear and, visible and so you can really see everything. Firsthand and again this is a unique opportunity because the scroll will be there just for two weeks and then it's coming back home and it won't be back in THE us for a very long.
Speaker 1: Time all, Right Doctor Joe, uzield head of The Dead Sea Scrolls unit at The Israel Antiquities, authority thank you so much for the. Information this is just just. Fascinating so it's going to be the next two weeks and it's at The Reagan, library and you can go To reaganlibrary dot com and get your tickets BECAUSE i would imagine it's going to be. Crowded thank, you Doctor, Joe.
Speaker 8: Thank, You thank you so. Much take.
Speaker 1: Care oh that was a little familiar of me to call him Doctor, joe AND i think that's. Okay we got to know.
Speaker 10: Him.
Speaker 1: Amazing, yeah that is so. Cool if you haven't been seriously again the next two weeks and then The swirls are going to be there for the next few, months so you have. Time but for The Ten, commandments that's probably once in a. Lifetime. Yeah tens of thousands of people turned out For Bernie sanders rallying DOWNTOWN la over the. Weekend sanders also his so Called Fighting oligarchy, tour drew about thirty six thousand people On. Saturday sanders told the, crowd we're living in a moment where a handful of billionaires control the economic and political, life and as he put, it that's moving us rapidly toward an authoritarian form of. Society after the, Rally sanders made a surprise appearance on stage At. Coachella he Introduced claro and told the crowd that they can turn away and ignore what goes, on, but as he put, it that's at your own. Peril President trump expected to share more details today about his plan for separate tariffs on semiconductor. CHIPS Abc Selena wang Says trump told everyone a Board Air Force one this weekend to prepare for a big.
Speaker 2: Announcement just days after exempting, smartphones, laptops and other electronics from the latest round of, tariffs The president now saying those products will be targeted again. Soon trump posting tariffs on these products are just moving to a different. Tariff Bucket.
Speaker 1: China says the exemptions are a small step in correcting a wrong practice and urge THE us to completely cancel the reciprocal. Tariffs easter is just under a week. Away ABC's Rena roy says the best advice for consumers is to shop.
Speaker 2: Around there are apps like flash food that help you compare.
Speaker 3: Prices you can also buy in.
Speaker 2: Bulk some stores are also offering special deals On east's for baskets and.
Speaker 1: MEALS i always love a good, deal she. Says as far As easter eggs are, concerned prices are up by about sixty percent from a year. Ago this IS kfi and KOST hd Two Los Angeles Orange County southland weather FROM kfi areas of low, clouds then mostly cloudy and, cooler with highs in the sixties at the, beaches around seventy For Metro la And inlando C, lo to mid seventies in The valley's seventies to about eighty for The Inland, empire seventies and eighties in The. Inland in The Antelope, valley we've got some drizzle possible overnight and tomorrow, morning then partly cloudy with highs in the sixties and. Seventies it's fifty two And Diamond bar fifty eight In Newport beach fifty three And claremont fifty seven In Buena. Park live from THE kfi twenty four Hour. Newsroom I'm Amy. King this has been your Wakeup, call and if you missed any of Wake Up, call you can listen anytime on The iHeartRadio. App you've been listening to Wake Up call with Me Amy. King you can always hear Wake Up call five to six Am monday Through friday ON Kfi am six forty and anytime on tom on The iHeartRadio. App