Speaker 1: The views expressed in the following program are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Saga nine sixty AM or its management.
Speaker 2: It's Wednesday, and you know what that means.
Speaker 3: Ringside Heat is back on the air on new STOK Saga nine sixty with a new episode.
Speaker 2: Ladies and Gentlemen.
Speaker 3: My name is Lextan, hosted producer of the show, and you can follow me at Lextan Media. You can follow the show at Ringside Underscore Heat and alongside me here for this episode of Ringside Heat, as always, is our TNA Wrestling Expert, our wrestling memorabilia and general collection expert.
Speaker 2: He is, uh, he's a whole.
Speaker 3: He's sporting one of those WWE snap bands of the Spinner Championship and which you can't see because you know, we're not putting this up on YouTube right now, but he is celebrating a championship alongside alongside a certain NBA team who hast won one in fifty three years. His name is Chico Nugate and you can follow him and his collection at Coco Collects.
Speaker 2: Chico. Welcome to the show. Nice to be back after a couple of weeks where I couldn't join you unfortunately, so I couldn't. I couldn't join the show either at that point either. So oh that's true. Yes, anyway, Sorry, but man, it's so surreal. I know we're going to get into the weird stuff that's going on in pop culture and sports entertainment intersecting, but dang, what what a what a time? What a time to be a pro wrestling fan? Actually, mm hmm exactly.
Speaker 3: And the thing, the question I want to start off with here today to begin our discussion here on the air, And of course you can you can follow us anywhere on social media, and hey, reach out for us if you like. If you really like what we're talking about and want to ask us a question, you should reach out to anyone of us on social media and uh, hey, we'll respond as long as you as long as you keep it one hundred, you know.
Speaker 2: But here's the question I would like to pose to you to think about, Chico.
Speaker 3: What is the weirdest wrestling idea that ever got you emotionally invested. It may not be the best match, it may not have been the best the biggest star, but the weirdest idea that somehow made you care? I give you a couple of seconds. I'll give you a couple of minutes to think about that.
Speaker 2: Uh and uh and.
Speaker 3: I'm I'll go into mind, I'll go into my personal uh top three before you know, growing up as a wrestling fan and before this year. I'm gonna say I'll compartmentalize it by saying, let's go back into the archives for sure.
Speaker 2: Sure. So one of.
Speaker 3: The things that that that made me, uh, you know that was the weirdest wrestling idea that got me emotionally invested. The Firefly Funhouse. My goodness, that was amazing. It was like and it was it was weird. It was like you know it it had such a it had such a really really uplifting theme song talking about we're really glad that you're our friend and this will be a friendship that will never ever end. I mean like and and then it's Bray Wyatt with his McMahon puppet and his sister Abigail puppet and then him and like like sweats and a headband, uh, you know, just doing an eighty style exercise video taunting whoever he wants it to talk would put him in a man and then he and and then you got invested in that you wanted to watch more Firefly Funhouse every single week, and you can hear the pops every single week, just.
Speaker 2: Get louder and louder and louder.
Speaker 3: And then Alexa Blis gets involved and then and then yes, I know, with a lot of wrestling things and a lot of things that McMahon does, it fizzles out. But hey, it was there, It was, it was there. Another another weird one, Santina Morella, Well, hold on, hold on, wait before you go into your next idea. Uh, I mean the mister Rogers aspect of the fireflyfe on House was also kind of cool. You know, he gave that wholesome side to his his characterization and then it made it this this crazy Uh I guess I don't know how to reword it any other way, but kind of a schizophrenic nature of his character. Yeah, that would probably be a pretty good explanation of that character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, or dissociative personality disorder or something like that, something where he had multiple personalities on screen. And and then you know, of course if and you don't want to get on his bad side, because then the fiend will come and get you right, right, right, right right, I mean speaking of coming and get you, coming to get you. The Boogeyman did not do that for me, So I was okay, I was amused by that, in fact, very amused. I even like I mean, of course, the Booker team made it even even more entertaining because of how much he looked like he genuinely feared the Boogeyman every time he appeared on screen. Along with his wife, the Lovely Queen Charmel would also add to the the the lore of it too, so which I really respect.
Speaker 3: I mean, like they really bought into the absurdity of the Boogeyman.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they made me like thoroughly entertained in those segments, uh, and I mean speaking of bizarre and talking about the Boogeyman. I remember there was even this Vince Man really thought of some weird, weird stuff back in his day as creative head. Oh but but Boogeyman, like he ate the birthmark off of Jillian Hall's face. I remember that, Like she had a big, huge thing like a growth on her face for a while, and then like I think how they got rid of that was I think the Boogeyman consumed it like he ate it off of her face, like the very very very truly strange and yeah, no, I mean wasn't the best, but I was entertained because what is pro wrestling. It's it's entertainment with sports. So I mean exactly, I mean, we'll go into that some more, but go on. You had another answer to your own question.
Speaker 3: Well, there's this little Santino Morella was also one of the weird concepts where it's just like, you know, you're going into crowd and in Milan of all places, and then you know, just pulling somebody out of the crowd randomly and he wins the inter Continental Chain Championship and you know what, and which is another weird concept.
Speaker 2: But hey, it was. It worked.
Speaker 3: It got me invested into the Santina Morella character. And you know, we're still talking about and we're still laughing about Santina Morella Anthony Corelly years decades.
Speaker 2: Later, which is amazing number. It is, by the way, the director of authority on TNA Wrestling.
Speaker 3: That's right, expert, that's right, TNA expert. You would you are the authority on that? And uh, a little bit of a weird concept, but uh and a little bit awkward but it did get me emotionally invested in It was, wwe bite this Leada and Matt Hardy and that whole storyline, The whole Leada and Matt Hardy storyline. There it got me really Leada, Matt Hardy and Edge. That there you go, Leada, Matt Hardy and Edge storyline. It was the It was.
Speaker 2: Awkward, it was weird, it was.
Speaker 3: It was uncomfortable, but I got emotionally invested in it because it was because despite the the unfortunate circumstances of what was happening in real life, they all bought into the story that they were telling.
Speaker 2: So that's an interesting situation because by the time any of the drama between Matt and Edge and Lida made it onto the screen, we'd find this out years later, but they had made up backstage already by the time even a little bit of it, I think I think even before the bite this call. Yes, I think even before that they had already made up and were thinking about creative ways to do this because their boss was telling them to use it for on screen drama, which, honestly, like it did for you, it got me emotionally invested in the product. Like I loved it when Matt came back and he had that what Matt Hardy will Not Die shirt or something, and like he supposedly had been let go and they had they we didn't know that they brought him back already. And then when he attacked Edge and Lida I guess, or try more of Edge, I guess.
Speaker 3: He attacked Edge, he called him Adam on the air, he called Lida just Lida, and then he actually this is off Mike. Yeah, no, well no, it was actually on a live microphone.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yes, it was actually on a live microphone.
Speaker 3: They played it so well that we all thought it wasn't part of the show.
Speaker 2: That it was that that that that that that k fave was actually broken. Yeah, and like you said, like you're about to say, he was plugging a ring of honor, which was at the time kind of mostly taboo to mention anyone else. And so I feel like I might have at least one answer to your question at this point, now that I've been listening to you for a little while. Mm hmm. Yeah, I mean I think I know what one you're going for. I think I think I know which it is. I'm not sure. I think the one you're thinking that I would say will come later on, but now I'm thinking of digging way back into the archives and as a kid, and to me, this is strange to be associated with pro wrestling, but it was the Summer Slam where you had the match made in Heaven and the match made in hell. Now specifically it was the macho man Randy Savage and Elizabeth wedding storyline. That is one of my earliest, earliest recollections of something that was not just quote unquote wrestling but made its way onto this product. And you know, there weren't really many moves involved. I mean, it was a drama between a wrestler and his valet who he had kind of a on and off relationship with, and you know, of course the infamous Elizabeth, will you marry me? Like I remember that? Yep, that was just in blazoned into my head as a kid. It's so weird. But I'm like, oh man, it's such drama, you know, oh it was. It was such drama. And then when they finally got married on screen, I forgot what the what form that took. It might have been that Summer Slam. I think maybe that was where the wedding was on screen. It was I think I got legit like emotional even as a kid, I'm like, oh my gosh, they're tying the knot. They overcame adversity and then you know, we'd find out later behind the scenes that they they were already divorced by then, Yes, exactly, and it was that situation, but hey, they found a way to make money out of it, exactly. They're they're being professionals, you know. So and I think I think Mauch did really care for Elizabeth, you know, like all the way through.
Speaker 3: Oh, that was very very clear that like that, like even with the I mean, like there are different stories that come out, but I think as well, I agree that, like I do believe that Macho Man and Elizabeth really did care for each other.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was very very jealous.
Speaker 3: I was a very very jealous partner, a very jealous husband even and uh but I mean, but then again, at the same time, it's at this at the same time, like you know, when you when you're hot headed like that and everything, it's like it's it can be very very easy to really let the jealousy because jealousy will Jealousy is a kind of a is a very human trade and everything it's it's a I mean, I mean, you know, it's everybody. Everybody experiences in one form or another. But uh, it just flared up a lot with him because of you know, his own personality and his own personal issues. But at the same time, Elizabeth was, you know, the first lady of wrestling, Like you know, she is one of those at the time, and she was really uh when she and Macho Man were at their prime back in the eighties, you know, she was considered the most beautiful woman to ever grace a wrestling ring.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for years. She definitely definitely was. Uh yeah. So that's now now hearing you talk, that's what my brain went to is that was kind of you know, it's it's part of professional wrestling, but it's like no wrestling involved sort of in that in those portions of the show. So yeah, kind of kind of weird, kind of off killed her a little bit exactly.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing is that And that's the thing is because we've said this before many many times over the years, that it's not just wrestling, and there's a there's a great YouTube video on that that like you know that that that that some many wrestling fans may have checked out called wrestling isn't wrestling, And because it's not just the professional wrestling, the athletic side, It is the artistic, it is the storytelling, It is the acting side.
Speaker 2: It is the.
Speaker 3: Pump and pagistry, pageantry, and the the fireworks.
Speaker 2: And that and and all that that that come with it.
Speaker 3: And it's because it's just wrestling is ridiculous, and thank god wrestling is ridiculous because to not because I mean, then the the story of this of the past few weeks and everything, Uh, we're talking about two main stories that sound like they were pitched by a sleep deprived writer, haunted Carnival Parker and somebody who lost a bet at catering.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 3: And the first one and we're going to talk about is Dan Housen helping uncurse the New York Knicks on the way to the championship and cursed, cursing Stephen A Smith and by default uncursing the Knicks as well, which is.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, I think Stephen A Smith is still cursed now, okay, okay, okay. There there was a distinction there. It was a cameo where Dan Housen got paid human moneies. Yes, yes, yeah, that that humbly requested. A fan Fanausen requested that that he lift the curse on the Knicks, uncursed the Knicks. As a response to that cameo request which Smith, yeah, no, but Stephen A. Smith like he went back onto ESPN, I think it was and reiterated that Stephen A. Smith is still cursed, but the Knicks are uncursed. So he kind of made that distinction. And ever since that cameo and him like fulfilling that request, I guess yes to uncurse the New York Knicks. That's when they went on their thirteen game winning streak.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and they've only lost and they only lost that one game in then, Yes, one game since then and they rolled and it's like yes, and then like yeah, the the comeback game twenty nine points down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And much credit to Square Guardian, Yeah, much credit to Toronto Raptors alumnus og An Andobi now a champ on two different June thirteenths.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, exactly. Hey, you know what you got og on your team. Good things are going to happen.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I still remember his buzzer beater against Boston back in the twenty twenty Pandemic playoffs. He hits it, he hits it, doesn't even look at it. He's just like or he sees it go through and he's and he doesn't even raise his hands. It's like the sound that runs into my head is Andy Sambers, who guys don't look at explosions.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he learned a lot about being even keel from one Kawhi Leonard when when they were on the same team. So that's part of it too. But yeah, I know, I mean to go back to the sports entertainment of it all. I've been very entertained by by Dan Housen and really the coincidence in him uncursing the Knicks and it actually happening, you know, because it's it's crazy. The Knicks have for the past couple of decades at least, have been that team where they'll make it to the playoffs, but you never expect them to pull it out, you never expect them to win the big one.
Speaker 3: So you're basically saying that the New York Nets, the New York Knicks until this year have been the Toronto maple Leafs.
Speaker 2: Yes, and now the Toronto maple leafs continue to be the Toronto maple leafs so well. I have heard or seeing a couple of comments, one of which came from our very own Jose Taboada. Then Dan Housen should really also uncurse the leafs forgot ah. Yes, but we need to pay him human money as though. That's the thing. That's right. I'm a little I don't make that much money, so somebody else is going to have to pay him to uncurse the leafs. Maple leafs. Sports and Entertainment.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the show right now, pay the human moneys to Dan Housen to uncurse the leafs.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, oh man, that's your team exactly. And you know what I think, Dan Housen even I don't know if you noticed this, but Dan Housen also uncur the Carolina Hurricanes a little while ago.
Speaker 3: He did, he did well, he well, he did put a curse on them in Game two of the playoffs, and then he I think he must have uncursed them before that, because the Carolina Hurricanes did go on to win the Stanley Cup. The next night, after the New York Knicks one, the stat uh one won the Ilari o' brien Trophy. So uh and uh well unfortunately, uh well, which is which is the craziest thing, because former Maple leafue Freddie Anderson is now a Stanley Cup champion.
Speaker 2: However, now who was on who was on the Golden Knights that was a former mate belief that didn't get to win the championship this time, Mitchell Mitch Marner. Yeah, there you go. Yeah, I heard somebody comment about that too.
Speaker 3: Uh So you you, as a person who doesn't follow the Toronto Maple Leafs, who you know or hockey and you know the name of Mitch Marner. That's actually you know that that that that that's actually pretty uh phenomenal.
Speaker 2: That that guy has cost over a Yeah, one of the few names I know just because he's a big name in the Toronto hockey circles. Yeah, I mean, so Dan Housen has really but that guy is one of the answers to your question to the you know about the strange things that have gotten me emotionally invested, because I mean I first heard about that guy when he was in Ring of Honor. I heard about him during the pandemic and so I saw these kookie vignettes as part of ROH Days or the Dying Days of ROH before being bought by Tony Kahn. Yes, yeah, Dan Housen. Honestly, I think dan Hausen was the one that made me tune into ROH during the pandemic. Maybe a couple of other people, like maybe there's one or two other storylines that I caught on too, just because I was digging that deep into pro wrestling, because it was just a weird time, because the pandemics is a weird time. But out of that weird time came Dan Housen for me. Like I learned about his jar of teeth. Yes, I learned about like exactly the nature of his character that he explained as Conan O'Brien possessed by a demon's.
Speaker 3: That is, yeah, and his voice, the voice is actually really you can actually hear Conan O'Brien being possessed by a demon in the Dan Housen voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I learned about him then and I thought, okay, cool, like, and then eventually he got so much indie traction that ae W hired him for a little while featured him for a few things. But I mean there's a combination of dan Housen getting injured and also Tony conn not knowing what to do with him, so he didn't put him on as much when he got back from injury. Yeah, and then he got and then his contract ran out, and thankfully WWE scooped him up. That's you know, because I think we've talked about it on the show. If there's any company that would know what to do with a Dan Hausen, it would be the sports entertainment juggernaut of WWE. Exactly.
Speaker 3: So yeah, exactly, And you know what, I want to get a little bit more into detail about the phenomenon of what just happened with Dan Housen.
Speaker 2: And and we're also going to.
Speaker 3: Talk about, uh, the the Al Grande Americano versus o g L Grande Americano later on, because I think there are a lot of similarities and intertwinings of what happened with Dan Housen what happened with the El Grande Americano the storyline. We will get into that in you know, after this break over here Ringside Heat on New Stalksaco nine sixty am back off these promotional considerations.
Speaker 2: Wait, this is the little and you're listening to Springside.
Speaker 1: Pastream us Live at Saga nine am.
Speaker 2: Dot c.
Speaker 4: Yo bro It is Vince Russo Man and you are listening to Ringside Heat bro It News Talk Saga nine sixty am.
Speaker 3: And welcome back to Ringside Heat on New Stock Sagaine sixty am. Media, Chico at Coco collects and Ringside Heat at Ringside Underscore Heat episode two hundred and twenty here on Sagon is sixty am. It's called very nice, very eaviy with two eyes and very over as well. And Chico is doing the Dad Housing curse pose right now with the with the eyes all.
Speaker 2: Engaged in everything.
Speaker 3: So I'm very very U see, it's already working. It's already worked. I'm stuttering already, so I think you might have cursed be already.
Speaker 2: Let's go back into it then, here we go. Let's go. Yeah, let's go break back into it.
Speaker 3: Because you mentioned before the break that that that if there's anybody, if there's any company out there who knows what to do with a Dan Housing character, a quote unquote comedy character in professional wrestling, it would be the WWE.
Speaker 2: That's right, and they've let him have some creative freedom as to like how to get his character over and that and whatever lightning in a bottle just happened for Dan Housen. Uh. With all of that combined, the past couple of months have just been crazy for him. Oh my gosh. Yes, And that's the thing. It's like it.
Speaker 3: His rise is probably the most improbable rise of a WWE character, a WWE superstar to cross over into the mainstream culturals like geist, because we've had you know, we've had Dwayne the Rock Johnson, We've have Stone Cold, Steve Austin, we have Chris Jericho, all of them.
Speaker 2: And a few more as well too.
Speaker 3: Hulk Hogan exact exactly to Chico, pointing to his hul Camania T shirt that he's wearing right now.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, we have seen.
Speaker 3: The crossover stars, and it is obvious, it is obvious to see why those four names that I mentioned, Chris Jericho, the Rock, Stone Called, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan have crossed over into the mainstream. And of course he could add Riclair into that, because who doesn't love Riclair. But Dan Housen a crossover star in three months in the WWE.
Speaker 2: YEP, He's been in the company for what one hundred and ten days something like that. Yep, exactly, and the mizz and yes, I know that.
Speaker 3: All I've also put them is over on this show about being a crossover him stuff, But he has not gotten. He has not gotten to the level of Dan Hell has gotten in one hundred and ten days as a WWE superstar. And Dan Housen becoming a crossover star works because he is not trying to be cool in the traditional sense.
Speaker 2: He's not trying to be Roman Reigns. He's not trying to be Cody Rhodes. He's not trying to see him punk. He's not trying to be Dwayne.
Speaker 3: He's something some more strange and more and more precious. He Donovan dan Housen. That is a committed, full, fully committed character. It is a walking bit. It is a merchandising machine. It's a bridge between old school gimmick wrestling and modern meme culture. Dan Housen brings in the non fans because the character is instantly understandable.
Speaker 2: Do you agree with that? I totally do. And it's also a little bit fool proof because his gimmick is that he is he is absurd. He is kind of not in touch with reality. He is so full of himself and he's in his own world that he can be that character anywhere, any time. M hmm. And he can like like we all know the character of Dan Housen, but nobody cares to know Donovan, and so he can protect his like real life exactly. You can keep that separation just by the nature of that character. So it's that rare lightning in a bottle and it has hit across like he's transcending professional wrestling and he truly is a sports entertainer like no one else has been. Uh. It's such a quick rise, meteoric rise into the cultural zeitgeist, like you said.
Speaker 3: M And here's a couple of a couple of other points about that. I would say he also is bringing back old fans because he feels like the throwback to when wrestling was allowed to be weird. I mean, like, yes, we lament every now and then that like you know, May Young gave birth to a hand as the Mark Henry uh and then but and he's like that right.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: But the thing is, the curse gimmick is so absurd everybody and everybody. I don't think there's anybody out there who thinks that it's real. Everybody knows it's fake, but everybody, including Stephen A. Smith, just completely agrees to play along with the gimmick.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. And even people like Ben Stiller have have come on TV and acknowledged Dan Housen, you know, like the only thing, Okay, the one thing or one of the things that I wish did happen during the course of the NBA Finals was I wish that Dan Housen had gotten his wish, his demand Housen rather to be seated courtside beside Tim Shalom or as you said before, Chamalay, there you go. I wish I wish that Dan Housen was was that they gave in to that demand and Sadam court side, uh say, ringside courtside between Chama and Kylie Jenner. No, it would been very amusing. Oh that was great. I mean, like, and hey, you know what it is? It is? The thing is here. Here's the thing. Though, I believe I've heard something.
Speaker 3: I heard a rumor, it might be confirmed, but I think he is actually going to be part of the New York Knicks championship parade.
Speaker 2: Yes, so it has publicly been posted by w Fans Sports Radio in New York. Who are going who are going to be part of? I think part part of the championship parade. They invited him to be their guest as part of the New York Knicks Championship Parade. Goodness gracious, that's that's online. So I mean, I would guess that Dan Housen will probably take up that offer and be there for the parade.
Speaker 3: Oh he better, he had better. I mean, live it up, Donovan.
Speaker 2: Honestly, seriously, I am so happy for that guy, and he seems like such a genuine sweetheart of a guy. That's the real man. But I mean, like the character is just so entertaining and deserves the success that he's been getting. I'm going to carry it forward and hope that and oh my gosh, and all of this is just aligning so well. I'm finding it hard to find the words because I think the stars are aligning so well for the schedule that ww has upcoming, because on Saturday, July eighteenth will be the fiftieth Saturday Night's main event, that's right, and the first time that Saturday Night's main event will be at Madison Square Garden since August of two thousand and seven. And what better way to come back home to MSG because WW is known as the New York promotion of course, right, what better way to come back home to WWE at the world's most famous arena than to bring out Dan Housen maybe retire, maybe retire his cape in the rafters amazing. And and you know who's a gigantic WWE fan, the Finals MVP, Jalen Brunson. Yes, I'm sure that they're trying to get Brunson on board to show up at his home arena, yep, and to have some sort of interaction with not only the crowd, but hopefully with Dan Housen. I mean there are Brunsenhausen t shirts like this. Is how far that that the collaboration has gone between Dan Housen and the Knicks? Uh, you know and the NBA and w W That the Dan Housen Knicks merchandise was available at the NBA store at the games. Yes, And that's not a wrestling event, It's not, No, it's not at all. It's it's ye mainstream sports culture.
Speaker 3: It's not just pop culture, but mainstream sports culture has embraced them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's That's part of what is blowing my mind. So I'm hoping that for the very next Saturday Night's Main Event on July eighteenth, that all of this comes together and it's just one big spectacle. I hope they even get you know, Adam Silver, whoever to agree to let the Larry O'Brien Trophy be at Saturday Nights Main event, well, I.
Speaker 3: Believe that's well, that's up to the next now, because they own the trophy like this like that, because the the Lario Brian Trophy, like the World's the Commissioner's Trophy in Major League Baseball and the h and the and the NFL Championship Trophy there a new one is made every year. So the trophy that the New York Knicks got for this championship is under their custody, so it's okay, so they can decide what to do with it, yes, exactly, and it'll probably be in the same building. So I'm I'm just saying, I think this is a huge opportunity even even to benefit the NBA and specifically the New York Knicks in terms of market value, you know, like is it's all entertainment. All professional sports have entertainment aspects exactly exactly. And that's the one thing as well too, because of because it's mainstream sports, it's it's supposed to be everybody will should be able to get involved in, you know, cheering for your local sports team, and it's it's something that's supposed to be able to cross over generations, across over demographics. And that's what Dan Housen is as well. Because he's weird, but he's not alienating. Kids are able to enjoy him. Adults can enjoy him because they can enjoy the irony of what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yea, and they understand and and they understand.
Speaker 3: That, you know, you don't have to you don't have to break the k fab for this over here. You can just participate it. Let the kids participate it, because it's just fun to do. Hardcore fans appreciate the commitment to the bit. Casual fans are in on the joke in no time flat because he's easy to explain. You don't need twenty minutes to tell you who Dad Housing is. He's very nice, he's very evil. He curses people. That's it, yep.
Speaker 2: And so now I'm intrigued and everything he does so whenever he pops up on ww television or somewhere else, I'm like, my eyes are glued to that product. So like sometimes I feel like checking out like ESPN's YouTube channels to see if they somehow feature Dan Housen, Like, you know, so there's a bit of like draw to different things too now so and also back to WWE's product, like I'm intrigued by him and sort of my eyes are brought back to the wb product because he's been so successful and so entertaining.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and you know what, because of that, that that improbable. I'm not gonna say impossible, because it just because if Kevin Garnett said anything is possible, robbable success to another improbable success story.
Speaker 2: When we come back from the break, we will talk about we'll move.
Speaker 3: We'll move from Dan Housen and the next to a storyline that may have been one of the most beautifully stupid and stupidly beautiful things that WWE and Triplet have ever done. El Grande Americano versus og L Grande Americano, The Match to honor, the match for the honor to represent Mexico between two men who are not Mexican.
Speaker 2: We know we know they're not Mexican.
Speaker 3: Somehow, by the end, it felt like the fatal Buca Biba itself was hang in the balance, and we'll talk about that when we come back from the break. On News Tim Scaca at sixty am. This is Ringside back after these promotional considerations.
Speaker 5: Hello everyone, this is former pro Wrestling Slash Sports Entertainment referee Jimmy Corderos, and you're listening to the new voice of Pro Wrestling Slash Sports Entertainment in the GTA Ringside Heat right here our News Talk SAGA nine.
Speaker 1: No Radio, No Problem stream is live on SAGA nine sixty am dot ca. A.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, I'm Shan Spears and you're listening to Ringside Heat.
Speaker 3: And welcome back to Ringside Heat a News Talk SAGA nine sixty Am. Lex stand at Lextan Media Chico at Coca COLECX, Ringside Heat at Ringside Underscore Heat Episode two hundred and twenty, Very nice, very even, very over and because Dan Housen, I believe that Dan Housen's rise and his success have very very big similarities to what happened just a couple of weeks ago as well with Triple UH with the El Grande Americano versus og al Grande Americanos storyline, the storyline that should not have worked. Agreed, it was an absurd premise treated with total seriousness, and what happened was wrestling alchemy. And first of all, here's here, here's here's here's a couple of points. The names alone sound like parody, because exactly that's exactly what it is. What Chad Gable started that one out to be as a parody. Basically, the premise is deeply ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Neither man is Mexican.
Speaker 3: That should have destroyed the emotional mistakes of the entire storyline. Instead, it made the whole thing even more surreal, especially when, in your words, in your your naming, El venti Americano, uh came that, I came by and started speaking perfect Spanish to the to the trip to our crowd. The match then became even about identity, respect, performance, tradition, and spectacle. And because of all of this, the crowd chose to believe it, because the performers believed in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically they dove in fully, even even the bookers down in triple A. And now that's such an interesting thing. And I don't know how the timing works with this. I don't know the behind the scenes of everything. But when Chad Gable started his journey as the original El Grande Americano, uh, you know, like over a year ago maybe or less than a year ago, whatever it was. I don't know if WWE clued him in on like the purchase of Triple A that was imminent. I don't know, because the timing just seemed like to be very very like lucky for him, because he definitely started doing those vignettes and stuff. I think before Triple A was announced as being purchased by by the KO Group or whatever. Yes.
Speaker 3: So, so just for the story or for the for the timeline here, El Grande Americano, Chad Gable started.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: He began appearing as America Americano on WWE RAW March twenty four, twenty twenty five. And Triplet ah literally bit Triple I was acquired by WWE on April it was, it was announced on April the nineteenth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so this so literally a month before Chad Gable took on the role of Al Grande Americano. That's when the announcement that Triplet is now a ww property basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazy, man. I think it was just I feel like maybe dumb luck because uh man, yeah, I mean Chad wouldn't have known. I don't think they probably not that the purchase was coming. And then I guess when they get into it, maybe WWE didn't really necessarily know what to do with the Al Grande Americano stuff long term. Uh. And then I guess the booking team down at Triple A, of course, as we know, headed by the Undertaker, I guess they they needed some like crossover stuff too because they need WWE's global reach to rub off on Triple A too. So so that kind of started that journey. And then I guess Chad goes down an injury, right he did as Elgrindi Americano, and then so they brought in another El Grinde Americano. I just never thought that it would take on the life that it's taken on. I mean, it ignited the Mexican culture and like you said, Chad Gable, like you know, like Caucasian American guy. Uh. And then the yeah German guy who's pretending to be an American guy behind a mask and speaking perfect Spanish. Just the whole thing is crazy. Yeah, it's it's such a and it could have been such a mess. But I love that the Triple A crowd really took it on and and you know, chose their sides and informed Triple A and ww like you know, like who they really supported. And then for a while too, it had that it had that Brett Hart ninety sixth dynamic where like one he'd get cheered somewhere and then booed in the other place. Yes, you know, they had that thing where in America original Al Grande Americano was getting cheered and the second one was getting bowed, and while in Mexico the other way around, the the more recent Algrinde Americano was getting cheered and the original was getting bowed, and the original was sort of like disrespecting a lot of Mexican stuff, you know, and couldn't and couldn't speak Spanish. Really, Yes, it's kind of hilarious how he like really couldn't and and he like tried to just like put off all the people who ask questions and in Spanish, yes, exactly, yes, So it was just I don't know what it was. It was weird to start clunky at different parts and then it hit a stride and then the crowd kind of like was the glue that brought it all together mm hmm. And it just became a phenomenon.
Speaker 3: Man and and the and the match itself was probably it was captivating from bell to bell before and after it was the story.
Speaker 2: Uh the story was what's your name of Bizardo or something was Andrea was Bizarrete or something?
Speaker 3: So the yeah and the partner of Venti, yes, sure, uh yeah, and like that just just just like the just this the emotional beats of the story, the wrestling beats as well to uh, everything just everything just very just clicked so much. But that's because over the year since March the twenty fourth, when they introduced the old Grande American character.
Speaker 2: It's you know, and when.
Speaker 3: Ludvik Kaiser became the second Grande American Venti uh he uh yeah, just and everybody, as you said, bought into everything. I would say this the stakes that the stakes were fab but the emotion was real. It was respect for Luca Libre, it was audience investment and the performance legitacy from both legitimacy from both of those performers from both of those wrestlers.
Speaker 2: Uh, it created such h.
Speaker 3: Like like wrestling artistry, and that's something that you could you would see from from that, From from that, from what happened with Stone Cold the Rock back in WrestleMania X seven, Daniel Bryan winning again I've mentioned these before, winning at WrestleMania at thirty the n Disputed Championship.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: They there were so many things that just came together because because because the performers bought in, it made the crowd buy in, and everybody had a stake in making it all happen, and it had.
Speaker 2: Dave Lagrecov busted open Radio calling that mask versus Mask match the best match he's seen in a very long time. I would say the same. Like I went into that night not having sort of completely followed everything, but even the vignettes leading up to the main event that night, top notch stuff, like it was explained so well that I was more than ready to see this match happen. And the match itself, like the execution was amazing, Like yes, everything the emotional peaks and valleys, like the whole story of the just the match itself and everything riding on it, like the drawa the build up matches as well too. Yeah, this the the the drama of like partially ripping each guy's mask, you know, like that whole thing. And I'm not even like a full on fan of Triple A in the Mexican tradition, but I got into it man like it was really it was pro wrestling magic.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm exactly. And that's where I and and see that's the thing that we're where both these two stories of Dan Housen and the El Grande Americanos they wouldn't They would never conventionally intertwine with each other or find similarities with each other. But here's where I think it is as well as that is that the lesson from Dan Housen and El Grande Americano is this wrestling does not have to become less weird to reach more people. It just has to be more committed. Dan Housen did not cross over by becoming normal. El Grande Americano both El Grande Americanas did not go over by becoming logical. They work because wrestling remembered what it is sports entertainment, theater with bruises, myth and merch, comedy and consequences. Ritual performed in spandex under suspicious letting, and when it's done right, the crowd does not ask why am I cheering?
Speaker 2: They just do.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: That looks like we're out of time here actually on the radio, just in time. Actually, this is great. You know, we had a great I mean, out of all the things that we could have discussed, I think those are the two great things that have happened with the pro wrestling industry over the past couple of weeks that we've been off the air here or that we've been running reruns. But but that's one of the reasons why we just love this stuff. It's like it's because it's because it's because of this. This is what it really breaks it becomes too. We love it because of this.
Speaker 2: Yep, this is my stories. Man. When people say I want to watch my stories, you know, like when they want to escape the pressures of life and you know they want to just get into their form of entertainment, this is this is my form of entertainment too, man, mm hmm. Per professional wrestling since I was young entertain me because it's not just the sportsy things. Yes, it's it's this drama it's this like weirdness. It's it's all of it. It's it's not oh boy, it's not just the one aspect of it. It's it's all of the aspects that we've just discussed. It really is like the happy medium of sports entertainment.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm, I.
Speaker 2: Love it, hey, exactly.
Speaker 3: Wrestling very very much works well when everybody commits to the bit until the bit becomes truth. And with that we're gonna signing off over here. Thank you to Chico at Coca Collects. Follow him and his wrestling collection and his general collection collection at Coca Collects.
Speaker 2: I'm lex Tan. You can follow me at lex Tan Media.
Speaker 3: You can follow the show at Ringside Underscore, Heat and hey, guess what, we're very nice, we're very evil, and we very much remember the things you've probably forgot.