Speaker 1: Is brought to you by Green Glum Nursery and Greenhouses, United, Reynolds, Kelly Banks, Tree Service, Roman's Outdoor Power Accent, Pest Control, Ascension, Saint John, Jane Phillips and Gateway First Bank.
Speaker 2: And welcome to Green Country Gardener here on this Saturday, June twenty first. Nathan Thompson, Larry Glass here taking your calls related to anything going out in the yard, gardening, landscaping, whatever it might be.
Speaker 3: You can give us a call.
Speaker 2: Nine and eight three six fourteen hundred, three six fourteen hundred broadcasting live on.
Speaker 3: K one and k GGF. Good morning, Larry, how are you.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Nathan doing okay this morning?
Speaker 2: Oh good, I've kind of been running around here and making sure run during the last call in show.
Speaker 4: To a marathon runner.
Speaker 3: Exactly good thing. I got my running shoes on today.
Speaker 2: But I'm telling you, yeah, during the last show, I wasn't seeing that our phones were ringing because you know, used to we had this blinky light that.
Speaker 3: Would let me light the blinking light. We don't have that anymore, and so that made me still up there. It's still there. Just just plug it into it doesn't work with our news sister.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, So yeah, I think I've fixed it here though for a Green Country Gardener. So if you do have a call question, give me a call and make sure that we get it done.
Speaker 3: Man, Larry, we've had so much rain here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, apparently I know. It was his weight anchor for a while. So it's getting a little hot, little kind of extreme kind of thing going. Yep, So your plants are kind of used to all this rain we've had. There, you go, look at that, Look at that her.
Speaker 3: Good morning. You're on the air with Green Country Gardener. How can we help you?
Speaker 5: Hi, Well, my tomato plants don't look very good. They don't get tomatoes on them, but the leaves are still tiny. And I have put some fertilizer on them, but the leaves are just bite. They're not doing very well.
Speaker 4: Is there any any purple color on the leaves at all? Any pera?
Speaker 5: No, Okay, they're green, but they're just so small what they normally are.
Speaker 4: It sounds to be like the root system has been compromised somehow. That could either be from all the rain we've had and not being able to really grow because it's been too wet, or get enough air or insect. Yeah, not enough air. So what you probably want to do is gently prepare the soil. Not necessarily. We're close to the flat, but kind of a way from the plant, so it does have a chance to dry out a little bit and get some root growth going on it. And what you don't want to do is apply a nitrogen fertilizer because then you won't get Bravey tats. But tomato fertilizer for SAE would help a little bit too. And a lot of people are having problems with their plants after our about with you know, the great flood here. So but I think they'll make it through, okay, And do you just find we don't.
Speaker 5: Let the sell their lives and they're making tomatoes. They're just the leafs are so small. I don't know whether they survive the heat when they got.
Speaker 4: That might be a bit of a problem. Yeah, that might be a bit of a problem. And I know if there's a way you can temporarily shield them a little bit from the afternoon sun, that would help.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, thanks, all right.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for your call. And look at that I got it to work.
Speaker 4: Yeah. See, I asked her if if the leaves are turning purple because sometimes a potassium deficiency is also correlated to a small leaf size on it too, So no purple leaf. So that's not the problem. So it's probably the super system has been compromised somewhat from excessive moisture.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So although we still want to mulch it, you don't. You want the ground to stay fairly even curve on the temperature. We don't want to let the hot sun just have such a sudden change. These plants have to adapt to that, and a lot of them haven't really developed the root system. They haven't had to, and then this happens, Yeah, Oklahoma happens of course, hot and dry, and they're not they're not prepared to deal with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly. Well, you know, I've noticed some of the similar issues in uh my flowerbed this year. I have pagonias and patients and they're doing incredible. My petunias are getting the yellow leaves at the bottom, and I think that's just because we've had that overabundance of rain and that's just causing a little bit root rot. And now my hanging petunias are fine, they're fine, But but the ones who are actually in my flowerbed are not. In fact, those are the most pitiful looking petunias I've ever planted. And I actually for the ones in the flower in my flower bed in front of my house. I actually spent the extra money and got the ones that were more mature and and and fuller, and that.
Speaker 3: This was the first year I've done that, So I don't think I'm going to do that again. Larry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what you do, just loosen up the soil around them. Okay, just take a tater for la or your or your wife's fine silverware. There you go, yeah, from here, and loosen up the soil. Let's let it air out a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, I I I think I think the petunias I only put planted two petunia plants in my in my flower bed all the rest of our bigonias and impatience. I was trying for this red, white and blue look this year, and so I had the red pagoonias, of course, and I got the waxy ones that are good and more more sunshine. Because my my house faces the west flower bed is on the west side of the house. The patients are absolutely gorgeous this year. Sun patients, Yeah, sun patients.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: And the but but the petunias that they were, the ones with the blue flower, and yeah, they I think.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to pull them. Actually, I think they're beyond.
Speaker 4: Checks out and say, okay, it could just be over too much. Not an effort system yet.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, because I mean I did, like I do every year.
Speaker 2: You know, I've turned the soil. I replaced my entire flower bed soil last year with potting soil. I know, right, I don't have that big of a fountain.
Speaker 3: It's not that big.
Speaker 2: It's about five acres, no, about twenty five foot long and maybe five foot deep, and so so yeah, I tilted all up and then I put all brand new potting soil in last year, mulch on top of it, and I used a of course, the Miracle Grow Great formula that you do that is little granules that you water that gets into the and.
Speaker 4: And provides nutrition.
Speaker 2: So this year I did not turn my soil, I just because it was still healthy. Did not turn my malts either. Maybe maybe that's part of the problems too, but uh, and then you know, refertilized again. But those petunias, even since I planted them, they were not as healthy as my.
Speaker 3: Petunias were last year.
Speaker 4: This sounds like the successive water.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: And I think that kind of gets us into our first topic is talking about root rot.
Speaker 5: What what are.
Speaker 4: Such?
Speaker 2: I know, I mean some people who may be new to gardening, they don't know what that is, what the signs are, and and so talk a little bit for me.
Speaker 3: You know, what are the signs of root rot and what can we do to resolve that?
Speaker 4: Real diminished leaf size is one symptom of it. And also the leaves closer to the to the to the rich they kind of shrivel up and die first. And and it's real wiggly in other words, intensive flop around a little more than it should. Another another words, Hello, the rest are not established yet. Now, when you do plant your annuals, you do need to turn the soil over to let it airrate, if you will, And that's best done actually in January and February unless you have something planted in there. And and the freeze does a good job of breaking up a soil and all that too, So you probably have really nice weeds too, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Hey, we're not talking about weeds right now. That that's that's the rest of my yard.
Speaker 4: You know, if you're on the west side and it starts to get hot like this and you want to put something else in, you might consider pair of winkles that they can talk, they can tolerate the heat, but they cannot tolerate the cool or the wet. Right, So we we just brought a couple of tables full of met the nursery to sell so that that they can be planted when the conditions are good. Now, so paarawinkles would be a good alternative, perhaps, And there you go. There you go, and I'll show you want to rotate your crops. Perhaps, well I did, because you know last year that's the turnips. Maybe well maybe, I.
Speaker 3: Mean last year I planted all patunias, but but I also had a you know, I forgot the name of the flower. No, it's Dahlia, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I had a dalia and so I didn't do that this year, only put two petunias in and just did pagonias and impatience.
Speaker 3: So right, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 4: Anyway, it's just just the wet weather. So yeah, that's not much you can do. Just make sure that you do your ground print before. Even though he's really good stuff, you still want to break away the molt and turn it over there.
Speaker 6: You go cool.
Speaker 2: Whenever we come back, we'll talk about what's going on out at the nursery, and we'll talk about round up Oh boy right here on Green Country Gardener.
Speaker 3: We'll be back after this two minute break on K one and KGGF.
Speaker 7: If you're a do it your so for the place you need to go, and the place you need to know is United Rentals. A wise man once said, if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem will look like a nail. Finding out what you need is what the professionals at United Rentals are great at doing. You've noticed when you finally get the right tool or equipment for the job, how easy it is to fix. Well, that's what the experts do at United Rentals every day. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five.
Speaker 8: United Rentals. Who do I call to get my trees trimmed? Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up the stumps in my yard?
Speaker 9: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 10: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 9: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 10: What's that number.
Speaker 11: It's nine one eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 10: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 11: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 10: Spring has run and literally that's true.
Speaker 12: At green Thum Nursery and Greenhouses, it's time to plant and Green Thumb has the largest election of quality plants in the area. Annuals perennials, plants to feed your butterflies, trees and shrubs all now in stock, my biscus, herbs, and house plants. Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses open Monday through Saturday, ninety five noon to four Sunday. Green Thum, Dursree and Greenhouses on the What a Road.
Speaker 13: We may be thousands of miles apart, but we can still connect and when we do, we make things better. At ChildFund, we connect children all around the world with what they need to grow up, healthy, educated and safe. Together, we co create connections that help millions of children who live in poverty worldwide and their families and their communities and you join us together, we can make the world a better place, two small worlds at a time. Visit ChildFund dot org to learn more.
Speaker 3: Hey, we are rocketed out this wen, Larry.
Speaker 2: I know that's your favorite song, right I prefer Mozart, Mozart, Okay, Mozart for a bumper music. They welcome back to Country Gardener. You're on K one and KGGF. Nathan Thompson our gardening experts Larry Glass in studio as well answering your questions about anything dealing with your.
Speaker 3: Garden, your lawn, landscaping, whatever.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you probably could even ask him a question outside of that area of expertise and he'll make it sound good.
Speaker 3: It may not be right, but.
Speaker 2: He can give us called nine eight three three six fourteen hundred nine eight three three six fourteen hundred lines are open for you right now, Larry.
Speaker 3: What's going on out at the nursery at the nursery container and bald burlight trees can be planted at any time now.
Speaker 4: We planned a whole bunch of stuff last week and is doing okay.
Speaker 3: Good and they didn't get blown over by the winds.
Speaker 4: We staked them up. Oh good, now, tree saking is something that some people kind of forget.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and especially on new growth and wait.
Speaker 4: What's meant the whole day earlier in midweek or so saking up trees.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So anyway, it's a local home of people, of course, of course, and typically we give the people the option to have a steaked or not they themselves whatever we get, or we bring our tea posts out and put some tea posts in and put the north and south. So we're doing a landscape job. And even before all this stuff hit we put steaks just as a practice of installing trees no problems good. Otherwise it would be all it's tilted, like oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, I mean that's why you're the guarding expert. I mean, if you have it's an important reminder. If you just recently planted a tree in your yard and you do it yourself and not have a professional do it, you do need to stake that down.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We do offer it for a fifteen dollars option. Yeah. If you've seen the cost of a teapot lately, that it's a pretty good deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So anyway, it's a good practice to the plant trees and if if you decide not to have a steak it then blows over. There are significantly higher charges to come out and do that. I bet yes, so so anyway, so anyway, take.
Speaker 3: It's better to do it right the first time then to have somebody come out and fix your error.
Speaker 4: If the tree is say as big around as this a coke bottle or larger, you want to use three teapots one two, three, with one to the south that's typically where the wind come. Of course, there's no typicality as far as the wind location anywhere. And then and then two one hundred and apart each of them, and we use I just sew baling wire and a little section of garden hose to cushion the trade. And then you can adjust the tension on the tea posts and it's very effective. We planted the tree probably the trunk diameter it was, you know, four inch, and you're fine.
Speaker 3: Well, good, good? What else is going on out there?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 4: Hosts good selection of hosses right now, and some encres alias that will begin in to show actually some bud swelled and blooming coming on the encore alias. You treat them like regulars alias and they you know, in other words, there there. They require acid soil, right right, So I can't think of the term for that, but irroicacious is the word, yes, and that means they require an acid soil. We plant them is a significant amount of peat moss, but pete moss has just really really gotten really expensive, so we use some shredded bark pine bark with it. The mixture of that kind of lower the costs of the initial installation a little bit. So they do need to be planted in peat moths and you mount it up in the in the in the in the ground, and uh, to get it wet, we use a surfactant to the water to make it absorb the water real better, real better.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's not a lot better, a lot better.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's why you're the gardening that shirt and the grammar exactly.
Speaker 4: So there's the fact that helps the water absorb. Otherwise the water just kind of bounces off of the peat moster because that is a negative charge, and so there's water. So you give the water a positive charge. It's a little bit of soap. It soaks it up. So anyway, get that ready and then it'll settle down, you know. A gall They they need to go back and buy another battle of peat moss settled down. But anyways, so that's how we do. We plant them in solid peat moths as much as possible, but peat moss and shredded bark, and you do a preparation about as big a round as a bushel basket and about a foot deeper.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and you know that that's actually a good a good mixture for for maulch as well. You do your your peats and then put a little bit of the wood in there too, for a lot of varieties.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that's what I do in my flower bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we like to use the shredded feedar that has a step that the bugs don't like and it looks kind of nice too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go, there you go.
Speaker 4: All right, what about as first fertilized fertilizing yoursilias's time for the second fertilization. You did one in the spring, and a month, let you do another one. Then a month, let you do another one. So you don't fertilize them all at once because they are very shallow rooted. You fertilize them just a little bit at a time. Because you know what what happens if you over furliss, they just burn up.
Speaker 3: They burn up. Yeah, I see that so many times.
Speaker 4: And you can see this drive up fertilizer right on the trunk somebody. People think that you're feeding your baby or something. You put it right on the trunk, But no, the feeder roots are out away from the plint. So you do a general fertilization over the areas, not a specific one for each plant, but a general fertilization so those theater roots can take advantage of it. So one more time to the Simon month later be the last one. But it's a light fertilization. You don't want to show them if you will. What about high biscus hardy have biscuits. Yeah, must shadows is a genus for those, and they are related to high biscuits. They're related to Rosa sharon. They're related to okra and cotton. Interesting every.
Speaker 2: Okra, cotton, high biscus And what did you say the other one was relate to iseia too?
Speaker 14: Right?
Speaker 4: No? Yes, okay, no, no, I thought you said they were talking about anyway.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm going off your notes, Bud. Yeah, I said hardy high.
Speaker 4: Biscuits hardi biscuits. Yeah, it's hard. Hibiscus is a native plant in the United States, and they're noted for the other large blooms and bloom for further long period of time. They're related to the Rosa sharon, which is another.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, that's okay, Roses sharon okra and cotton. Uh yeah.
Speaker 4: Bscus syriacus is Rosa sharon hibiscus most shadows is the hard biscus. Wow. And oak's just just good.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's it's really good. It's really good, all right, Larry.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Yeah, because of that factor, they are very they tolerate our climate real well. Give them room to grow though, it's just give them room to grow. And I have some of my house have been there for years and they bloomed, the big old blossoms on them every year a long period of time. Actually, it's not one of those flash and dash things. They did bloom for a longer period of time.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: So you might have said that give it room to grow. If you put it close to the front door, you won't be able to get the piano at the front door, so you want to move it somewhere where it has a lot of room to grow.
Speaker 3: There you go, There you go.
Speaker 2: But when we come back from our next two minute break, we will talk about that round up. And then Larry, I'm going to throw a curveball out. We're gonna go to the annual of the week because I have a couple of questions about that particular variety coming up here in this amoment you're listening. You're listening to Green Country Gardener here on K one and KGGF.
Speaker 3: Back after this too minute break.
Speaker 7: At Egberts Martlesville, Cany, Coffeeville and Independence, seniors eat free two pm to four pm daily, even on the weekend, So come by Egberts this afternoon for a free meal. Seniors eat free with a purchase of a poll price meal. Egberts Good Home Cooking Breakfast served all day. Egberts, Bartlesville, Kney, Coffeeville and Independence.
Speaker 14: This month shipped into savings at Martlesville, Christler, Dodge, g Bram Truck. We're your full service dealership with Master Factory certified technicians and we service all make some models. New customers get your oil change for fifty percent off this month. Returning you still save ten percent with our price Magic guarantee you'll always get the best deal on tires in town, and customers get a two year road hazard warranty Automatically. We use all BG products to keep your ride running strong. Visit Bartlesville CDJR At Highway seventy five in Rice Creek Road or Bartlesville CDJR dot com.
Speaker 15: Caregivers, Home health and companion care is there for you from a few hours a day to twenty four hour round the clock. From non medical services including lighthouse keeping, meal preparation, errands and medication reminders, to personal care such as dressing, bathing, transfer and continent scare. Their license to do a registered nurses can even set up your medications. Caregivers can provide the care you need in your home. Called today nine one eight three three three forty two hundred caregivers there to help. Call nine one eight three three three forty two hundred.
Speaker 10: Spring has run and literally that's true.
Speaker 12: At Green Thunder three and Greenhouses, it's time to plant and Green Thumb has the largest selection low quality plants in the area. Annuals perennials, plants to feed your butterflies, trees and shrubs on now and stock high biscus herbs and house plants. Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses open Monday through Saturday, ninety five noon to four Sunday. Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses on the Whatter Road.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Green Country Gardener here on this Saturday morning, Nathan Thompson.
Speaker 3: Along with our gardening expert Larry Glass.
Speaker 2: If you have a question about your garden or anything landscaping, you can give us a call. Nine eight three three six fourteen hundred nine and eight three three six fourteen hundred Larry.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, my my yard is mostly weeds. I need to learn more about roundup.
Speaker 4: So what.
Speaker 3: What is found up and what does it do?
Speaker 4: Well, that's that's when you gather up and heard a bunch of cattle.
Speaker 2: Or or out west of Boroughs or the tall Grass Prairie Preserve, they do that to bison.
Speaker 4: They rounded them round Okay. Round Up is the brand name of a systemic broad spectrum type herbicide, produced of course by Monsanto originally and it's the most widely used in the in the world, if you will, and was patented in the seventies back when I was in college, and marketed from nineteen seventy three and the patent patent ran out in two thousand. Okay, and the active ingredient of roundup is isopropylene salt of glyphosate.
Speaker 3: Well say that again. I'm just kidding iso propylely.
Speaker 4: See I said propyle aiming, I so propyly I mean cultic glapors that yet get it out. Motive action is to inhibit an enzyme involved in the synthesis of the aminu acids tyrazine, tracylo fan and phenilatelinge. It is a sort through foliage and translocated into the growing plants. Okay. And because of this mode of action, in other words, the way it works, it is effective on actually growing plants. It's not affected as a pre emergent or preside and any any round up. Basically that histy ground is useless. Yeah, okay, as a plant can't draw it up from the root system. So that's why when you when you use the roundup for weeds, you use a fine spray or sometimes you can take a spray or put a cup around it so it doesn't drift. Don't do specific applications around up there.
Speaker 3: You don't want to put it up to your sprinkler system.
Speaker 4: Though, right, well, you wipe everything out. It's a non selective berber side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, non selective. That's important, folks. That means it will kill your grass, to.
Speaker 4: Kill everything yet, so be careful when you use that. It is very effective in its mechanism, and they've actually come up with crops that don't are they're not successible to that. Apparently they'll generate those three items that round up works on amino acids, so they genetic pool them out, so it doesn't work on those.
Speaker 3: So unfortunately, won't get rid of your moles either.
Speaker 4: I know no dermatologists for that. Anyway, if you do use roundup, I like to use just a fine mist prayer. Do it when it's very still in the evening or early in the morning or something so the wind doesn't blow it around. And when you do apply it, use something with a fairly large droplet so the myst doesn't go somewhere where you don't want it.
Speaker 3: In your neighbor's yard.
Speaker 4: Really, all that happened to me and my neighbor killed my roses. We had these really nice roses over there. He wiped them out.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, anyway, like I said, what what happened, would you do? Yeah, I guess, I guess they got a little rbside on your roses. Well, okay, whatever, I'll get the more.
Speaker 3: He wasn't even kind enough to offer to replace your plants.
Speaker 13: That he killed.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to argue the point. He was a very good person. It didn't mean to do it, of course, just that road just gets a new one.
Speaker 3: And you want to you on a nursery. I mean, it's not like they're hard for you to get.
Speaker 4: When you use the round up. A lot of times you might want to use a surfactant, okay, sir, facted keeps the droplets from bouncing off the little hairy stems. In other words, there's some hairy this and harry that with little really those kind of hairs, remember that, I guess.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: And it tends to repel the water. So a lot of times the round up or the glyphys will have a surfactant in it, So you want to read the ingredients and see if it does. If it does not, you want to supplement it with a surfactant.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 4: That could be in the form of soap or They also make what they called spreader sticker, which is a very highly effective and very efficient surfactant better than soap, right incrementally, yes, So anyway, so that's that's kind of how it works out. To be very careful around your plants. Do not spray it on a windy day.
Speaker 3: Good luck here in Oklahoma, right or Kansas that matter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and try to be very careful around your shrubs now, because the mechanism works through leaf absorption. When it gets to the ground, it's useless. It biodegrade and goes away. So anyway, it can be an effective tool in the landscape. So that's good to very rarely do I use it, that's good to know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I would.
Speaker 2: I probably just need to have my entire lawn resorted. It will just be because you know, I got chickweed.
Speaker 4: I guys, if you got we and this is something I bring up to my customers now, then I just want to reside in my whole yard. I said, what are you going to do to change your watering habits? What are you going to do to change your fertilizing habits? And what are you going to do to change your mowing habits? If you put your side in, if you go on the same track you're going, and I have seen this a lot of times. If you keep following the same track when your loan is unsuccessful, you put down sod. Three years later, you're going to be right in the same place.
Speaker 2: That's that's good advice. That's good advice, and it's a big investment to resaw it as well.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you might. You might consider an irrigation system too, And they don't have to be complicated. You can just run some pipe on the ground and put a little valves here in there if you want to do it manually, or you can do it automatically. The drinker timers are inexpensive, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely they are, absolutely are.
Speaker 2: Well, when do we come back, We're going to be talking about a plant that I have a couple of questions about right here on Green Country Gardener KYFM. A two minute break, we'll be back and we'll talk about that very special plants.
Speaker 16: Shy Way Honda Skyway Honda Highway seventy five South in Bartlesville. Evan Faarbach with Josh Mattney. Josh here at Skyway Honda. Don't let any of the tariff stuff in the news scarry off.
Speaker 9: Don't worry about the tariffs here.
Speaker 4: We're not affected by it. We're just going to do business like we always have.
Speaker 8: Hyway when you get the best deal without the ordeal. Who do I call to get my trees trimmed? Kelly Banks Tree Service?
Speaker 10: Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 9: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 10: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 9: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Trees.
Speaker 10: What's that number?
Speaker 11: It's nine one eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 10: Call it today for your tree trimming, stop grinding and traber mobile needs.
Speaker 11: That's nine one eight three three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight three three five seven thousand.
Speaker 17: Ascension Saint John Cardiology is a leader in heartcare. From complex procedures to routine screenings. Our cardiologists care for hearts all over the region using the latest advancements in cutting edge technology. Our care teams listen to you and deliver the heartcare that's right for you closer to home. Make Ascension Saint John your choice for regular heartcare and your most urgent cardiac emergencies. Find the cardiologist who's right for you at ascension dot org, slash st John Hart.
Speaker 10: Jane Phillips and Bartlesville.
Speaker 18: Did you get a call or message that mentioned Social Security that made you feel threatened or scared? That is not the Social Security Administration. Social Security will not threaten you pressing for personal information or demand instant payment. Social Security does not accept payments by gift card, prepaid debit card, internet currency, or by mailing cash. Criminals use these forms of payment because they are hard to trace. Don't fall for it, hang up.
Speaker 4: Ignore them.
Speaker 9: Report this criminal.
Speaker 18: Activity to OIG dot SSA dot gov.
Speaker 4: You say, us taxpayer expense.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Green Country Gardener here on this Saturday morning. Nathan Thompson in studio with Larry Glass, our gardening expert. And Larry we're going to get right to the phones here. We have a question.
Speaker 3: Good morning, you're on the air. How can we help you?
Speaker 19: Yes, I have this flora bunda roses, Yes, and they have just bloomed real fottle this year. But do I cut that whole branch for just each rose?
Speaker 4: Typically you want to go back below where the last flower was. When you cut them back.
Speaker 19: The whole the whole long stem had roses on it. They're just loaded this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a good year for roses. Actually, yes, very much.
Speaker 19: So do I cut the branch off or.
Speaker 4: I would without really looking at it, I don't know. I can. I can envision it maybe having just all these dead flowers on it, So you might want to cut them off individually and look at your branching structure and see if you can if you need sham.
Speaker 19: I have my linlight bush. It's probably twenty five years old, but it was done fine. All of a sudden, all the leaves have turned brown, like have they gotten too much water?
Speaker 4: That's probably mildew from the from the excessive moisture. Oh, I need to spread they get they have a bad, bad habit of having mildew on them. Not really, it's going to dry out and I think they'll be okay.
Speaker 19: I have an orchid, Yeah, and there's quit booming and it's getting a new lead. But do I cut that long stem off that that other bloom was on.
Speaker 4: You might cut off the remnants of the flower. But yet the orchids have a very slow metasolism. It's kind of like the sloth of landscape or plants. They're very slow, so give it time.
Speaker 19: I shouldn't cut that long.
Speaker 4: I would just cut off the old bloom. Yeah, it has leaves on, It has leaves on it does.
Speaker 19: It well, it's the leaves were all at the bottom. Okay, but uh, it's getting a new leave, so I got Well, it doesn't look like there's any knobs on that stem like there might be something from out of it.
Speaker 4: There's probably just a really large blossom petiole. Okay, thank you, I've probably cut it off. If it's not putting on the the leaves, I'll probably cut it off as it might turn into a liability on the planet.
Speaker 19: Okay, thank you, all right.
Speaker 4: Thank you for you very welcome. Thank you so much for your call.
Speaker 3: And if you have a call for Larry, you can give us a call.
Speaker 2: Nine eight three three six fourteen hundred nine and eight three three six fourteen hundred. Now, Larry, I intentionally pulled this one here because I have one of these plants and it's it's interesting how it works.
Speaker 3: So it is it is a salvia?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, So tell our listeners what a salvia is and how you can tell if it's healthy.
Speaker 4: Okay salvia or annual salvia? It is a tender tropical what's called a tropical perennial, and usually it's grown in a warmer weather. It's kind of a warm season type plant. Yeah, and as an annual bedding plant. There are also there are also some perennial varieties too. It's been a garden standard for a long time. I remember as child helping my mother plant rocket not rocket snaps, but so red salvia in the beds and all that too. So anyway, they're available in all kinds of colors. They bloom all the time.
Speaker 3: So well that's my question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, salvia blooms all summer long. It will have once the balloons have expired. The stalk and just wanted to kind of clip it now and then just to make it look nice, but it will continue to put on blooms throughout the summer.
Speaker 2: Interesting because my stalvia it came up again. It's a beautiful plant. It's one of the purple ones. And so in the mid to late spring it finally bloomed, right, And I tell you, if bumblebees.
Speaker 4: Love that, so you must you must have a perennial variety of alcum.
Speaker 2: Maybe I do, because what has what has happened is now the ballooms are gone and it looks like a weed.
Speaker 4: If I'm on, Well, the change is the weather that might bring on some more blooms. Okay, don't give up on me yet. Okay, So don't fertilize it too much.
Speaker 3: All right, Well you know it's it's uh actually on that's side of the bed.
Speaker 2: I don't fertilize very much at all because I've got a couple of hedges.
Speaker 3: But uh, but yeah, that's one thing I noticed.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 3: Now, now, this the stalvia was pre existing to the.
Speaker 4: Home before I got it, Okay, And.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, I'm excited about that.
Speaker 2: And so you know last spring it bloomed beautifully and then by late May early June, all the blooms were gone.
Speaker 4: It just looks like it's a dead weed.
Speaker 3: So I I guess are yes, yes, very sure.
Speaker 4: What's the primary characteristic of the salbia?
Speaker 3: Well, it has for me.
Speaker 2: It's that they have the stalks that go straight up from a a kind of a spiny looking leaf at the bottom.
Speaker 3: That's what I call it.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's not spiny, but it has the broad leaves at the bottom, and then just see socks that come up and on from about midway from the stalk.
Speaker 3: All the way that it's off, you get beautiful, tiny little blues.
Speaker 4: Okay, does this plant have a square stem?
Speaker 3: That part I don't know.
Speaker 4: The salvia is characterized by a square stem. Okay, remember the mint family. Yes, and that way you know for sure if it's the salvia, well then maybe I don't know it's a salvia.
Speaker 3: Maybe it might be something else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's there's several perennials that share that same character as Okay, it might be something else. Maybe it could be Look look at the stem and see if it's square.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll do that when I get home.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I always thought you don't think it. They could take the genetics and make that have a square stand and cross it with a love lilly pine. Yeah, you know for allosa square.
Speaker 3: That would be Yeah, maybe need to it's the engineer some of those. All right.
Speaker 4: So with Albia is an annual plant. It lacks a whole lot of sun. That's well in the afternoon, and it's warm weather loving, good bedding plant. You're good for backdropping. It gets read the tall as vailable in pink, red and purple.
Speaker 3: We do have a collar.
Speaker 2: If you can see I can now I actually hear the phone ring and good morning. You're on the air with Green Country Gardener.
Speaker 3: How can we help you?
Speaker 20: Yes, I was wanting to know if you feel some kind of mine purple flowers?
Speaker 3: Okay, could you turn your radio down in the background please?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, sure, we're from outer space.
Speaker 3: Well there we go. That's better.
Speaker 2: That's there had a little echo there, so uh, go ahead and repeat your question for us, please.
Speaker 20: Well, there's a flower that keeps growing like a vine and it glows purple flowers. Yeah, and I'm just wondering if round up would not keel that off. I've had more problems with that vine.
Speaker 4: Is it a Does it have a glossy green leaf? Yes? Okay, that sounds like you want to miss radickings, and it is because of the waxy layer on the leave. It doesn't Sometimes it doesn't absorb the round up.
Speaker 20: What's that?
Speaker 4: If it has a waxy leaf on the on the surface and it doesn't, the round up does not get absorbed.
Speaker 20: In some cases, I'm sorry, you just fade it out.
Speaker 4: Oh is that better?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay? Yeah, if if the leaf has a heavy waxy layer on this in other words, if it's real glossy on the surface. There's a good chance at round it will not work because it will not absorb into the plant. I've run into this a lot of times with the uanymous ratiicans and the English ivy too is kind of is a little bit the same way.
Speaker 20: Okay, So what would I use to stuff?
Speaker 4: I use a there's we have a product called track oprayer at the nursery and it us you basically you cut the stem and you dauber this on the stem and it'll the plant will absorb it and it'll it'll knock it out.
Speaker 20: Okay, all right, well I need to get rid of it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I've sprayed round up through creeping uanymous and doesn't affect it, but it kills all the weeds and around it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, okay, okay, so stop stop by the nursery.
Speaker 4: It doesn't it doesn't, it doesn't attack everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, come by, come by a green Country nursery and a green Thumb nursery, I should say, and uh, Larry can walk you through and get and get you the product that will take care of that need for you.
Speaker 4: I probably won't be there most part. They'll be digging holes for Yeah, he might.
Speaker 3: Be different homes, but he's got a you know staff there a hole anyway.
Speaker 4: But yeah, track clour t r I c l O p A R triclo okay, track and it comes with a little drop. It comes with a little dropper and you cut that and within within thirty seconds you have to apply this track repairer to this tim and it goes down to the root and kills the plant that way.
Speaker 3: All right, did that help you out?
Speaker 20: Yes?
Speaker 3: Thank you, all right, you're very welcome. Thank you so much for your call.
Speaker 2: All Right, Larry, we're app on our last break here. This will be a two minute break here on Green Country Gardener. We'll be right back after this.
Speaker 21: Although a Republican, Frank Phillips was a man who wisely hedged his bets, and so it was that even though he backed the other candidate, in December nineteen thirty five, he invited Elliott Roosevelt, the son of President Franklin Roosevelt, to wool Rock. According to reports, the menu for the day was elk barbecue and beer. Mister Phillips had already cooked up a plan to make the weekend a bit more special for Roosevelt and for the other guests. Roosevelt wanted to shoot a buffalo, so Frank gave him a rifle and out they went to stalk their prey, Elliott. Roosevelt was considered an excellent shot, but as the herd of massive animals roared past, Roosevelt fired once and then twice, but no buffalo hit the ground. Frank's ranch manager, Griff Graham, seized the gun from Roosevelt, took quick aim and killed the buffalo. Roosevelt was embarrassed to have been such a poor shot in front of friends and his distinguished host, and he took a good natured ribbing for his shooting skills throughout dinner, when finally mister Phillips, roaring with laughter, admitted they had loaded the gun with two blanks. That evening, mister Phillips had to leave the ranch for a meeting in Chicago, but Roosevelt remained behind to try again, this time with live ammunition. The next day, Roosevelt wired Frank Phillips the following message, sixteen hundred pounds in a beauty and this one only took one shot. The magic of Woollarock just as it is today. Come see us soon and welcome home to Wollarock.
Speaker 6: Hi Kevin Emerson here from Roman's Outdoor Power. It's hay season and you'll want to get the most value out of your hayfield. Trust the name Caboda. They made Balor's, Dismer's and hayrachs that make the hay season sweet and simple. Ask about the Solage special four by six bailor with net wrap, the three knob Caboda dismoer that cuts cleaner and faster, and Caboda hayricks that write gentle and clean all types of train. With your approof credit, get zero percent APR, zero percent down financing for up to sixty months. Offer expires at June thirtieth, twenty twenty five CS or go to Koboda USA dot com for more information.
Speaker 9: That's Roman's Outdoor Power.
Speaker 6: You're Kbota Dealer Highway seventy five in Barsville, Independence or at Okikibota dot com.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Green Country Gardener here on K one and KGGF. Nathan Thompson here with our gardening experts, Larry Glass of Green Thumb Nursery. Larry, you know we've had copious amounts of rain here recently. Rons are probably looking pretty good, but you know, there's still a lot of maintenance that needs to be done, especially as we get into these hot, long summer months.
Speaker 4: Well after four hundred years of drought, permuter grass has finally come back good, just about filled in too good, and it's kind of having a battle out there with crabgras so anyway, so post emergent crabgrass control is called the Queen colorac. It works pretty good to control that. You don't want to do it in the hot of the day and all that. So on your lawns right now, you want to fertilize very lightly on a monthly basis, not just one big food in the spring and hang up the spreader and go. But you want to try to fertilize it a little bit at a time every month, just to keep it up, keep the levels up and all that. You don't want to overdo it. Did you wear out the spark plug on your lawnmower.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's totally right.
Speaker 4: You do want you want to go ahead and give it to a moderate amount, and I do that to mine. You have a in a April or so, I'll give it a pretty good dose of nitrogen after or before it rains. And then I got caught one time there's rain coming and we're not fertilized the r and then we left for go somewhere and then came back it didn't rain. But anyway, so a good constant. You don't want peaks and valleys in your fertility level. You wanted to try to maintain it fairly evenly all across. And that's why you'd want to use a fairly light application more frequently than a heavy application infrequently. And if you don't have a sprink system, you don't you don't fertilize the whole yard at once. You fertilize part of it and watered in to do the next part. What you can effectively water it in to get it in there.
Speaker 2: That's that's a good tip because you know you're right. I see a lot of folks who have normally beautiful yards and lawns. They go out there and you can see them just spreading the fertilizer on all partials of their lawn.
Speaker 3: But you're saying it's better to do it, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do it incrementally. Yeah, Like I break my yard up into three sections and do the one yard to the north in the middle, then the South park. But a sprinkle on. I don't have a sprink I can't get a sprinkler. It's a solid rock. Yeah, yeah, I know it's terrible. You put a shovel halfway down. It's a solid rock. So I don't have a sprinkler system for obvious reasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 4: Oh, you's just seeing it took them two years to get underneath the street. That's what all these all the rock, all this phone line thing whatever. Oh yeah, there a long time. They didn't make any money on that. Oh that's great. And down the street big piles of rock. So yeah, and that's one reason why you want to try to manage it like that and do it incrementally rather than the whole thing all on, just so you just don't get burned out from having to go out and move the holes and everything else. So do it a section at the time. That's that's that's good. That's good advice. Yeah, right now, a pre emergent it's a little bit late for weed controlling the pre.
Speaker 3: Emergent, right, so post emergent would be.
Speaker 4: Post emergence would be a quin colerac. However, as the crabgrass matures. It's gonna it's gonna be less effective, okay, because it's not growing very fast, right right, so you want to get after it pretty soon, right okay. And anyway, come by the nursery and see what we've got. We've got a great selection of tropical plants, some big old, beautiful hanging baskets over there. I'm really about to pull the building over. Wow, and all kinds of flowers and perennials and trees and stuff for you for your landscape.
Speaker 2: So it looks like it's about ready time to it is almost time. It's been a great show today, Larry. I appreciate you answering a lot of my questions as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll keep that show sharp. We will see you next week.
Speaker 1: Truity Credit Union a better way to bank where members always come first.
Speaker 21: Experience the credit union difference today Truity CEEU dot
Speaker 4: Org in Bartleville, Bartlesville two three six Pauska