Speaker 1: Looks like Maggie wants a story.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 1: Oh, the phantom head mom is in that book the Bible of right wing Losers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the guy on the book jacket is one sexy slice of beefcake. Four finger Discount, dude.
Speaker 2: Welcome to four Fingered Discount, the podcast where we discuss four great women in a manicure on Nando.
Speaker 1: And we're just jumping around into it much like this episode. I'm guy. By the way, you ever had a manicure or a petticure? I have? Indeed, Yeah, there was a oh yeah, there was certainly stage I think in the early to mid two thousands when it was like, you know, who's gonna have manicures and pedicures? Men? Some might say this is a moving society forward. You know, I'm revealing that, hey and women we're not quite that different. Really, it was just a money drubbing exercise. Via It all concerned us like, how can we double the market? Then tidy up your nails.
Speaker 2: I still file my nails and stuff. Now you're gotta keep your stuff tidy?
Speaker 1: Well absolutely, oh god, yeah, I mean listeners of the show will be aware that I'm not a fan of fingernail stuff. You know, you could feel a hell of hangnails. Sometimes get caught on something. No, it doesn't really hurt so much as like who the shiver shiver up the spine. So yeah, I got to keep your shit neat and tidy. So yeah, I have gone through many and nail file men in emery board all that kind of stuff. So I've had my share of manicures and pedicules, but these days I tend to it's a more of a DIY job. I'm not farming it out to the pros.
Speaker 2: Thank you everybody who was watching us on YouTube, make sure you hit that subscribe button, give us a thumbs up and comment blind tell us what you thought of this episode as well. We'd love to hear from each and every single one of you, and to all of you listening out there in podcast world, please continue to rate and reviewers on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you do find this show, and if you support us on Patreon, that would be appreciated as well your early and add free access to this show and all the other shows we do, as well as the exclusive show to do exclusive for Patreon, but for great women and a manicure, I have made it no secret that I do not like these episodes, the ones where they just get a classic women that and the ones that are about a historical tale and they just wax Simpson's characters in there without really tweaking anything, and it's just Queen Elizabeth is now Patty or now Selma and snow White is now Lisa.
Speaker 1: I'm like, and and yes, please do something with this is a nice starting point, but you have to move a little further down the road. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I like the idea of this episode, the fact that it was it was airing on Mother's Day is to celebrate women. It makes sense, right, and I love the idea behind it, but it just does nothing for me. I'm watching this going they're essentially just retail on the same story without any tweaks, And I guess the only positive here is that maybe it brings awareness to viewers of about historical figures.
Speaker 1: They may not have known about, or something quite possibly even the third one in this where it's basically a riff Macbeth, right, Yeah, yeah, not really all that women's centric, even though Lady Macbeth is kind of a famous character and kind of an archetype in that regard. But Yeah. It honestly just felt as we were saying, yeah, we'll take existing historical events, put Simpson's characters, not even put a clock in it. No, we've put a bustard clock in an unwound clock. I suppose it does provide some I guess historical context or something like that, but just not that interesting. But for me, the point of this should be to celebrate women. Correct. Yeah.
Speaker 2: However, I feel like, for the most part, a lot of the women portrayed in this episode came across quite negatively, almost like the men were writing the jokes at the expense of the women. And it wasn't written by well, it was written by Valentina al Gaza's her first Simpsons episode that she wrote. But as we all know, the writer's name on the episode isn't the only person who writes it. And we know that the Simpsons writer's room is very male centric. True, a lot of the gags and this came across like, oh, this is a joke that men would find funny if they were watching it. It's like the haha the old chain gags?
Speaker 1: Right, women, am I right? Exactly?
Speaker 2: So, for example, Lisa, she's playing snow White, she's not actually a very nice person in this. She laughs when the turtle gets oh yeah, she tells off the bearfoot when it was trying to help.
Speaker 1: But you go outside as it's like, you're not actually nice either. I'm glad you remembered all this stuff from the Lisa's snow White segment, because obviously this is one where I kind of zoned out a fair bit. You have.
Speaker 2: Queen Elizabeth is mocked for being ugly on numerous occasions. She's hairy, she's like she's Bao wolf that kind of thing. It's like, okay, so you're mocking Queen Elizabeth the first because she was not good looking. And on that note, Agnes Skinner reading the Fountainhead and the author is in round and Agnes calls her a man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not great.
Speaker 2: I mean, for a episode it's about to be celebrating women, there's a lot of jokes that feel like men going like you said women, mr Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The last one's a complicated one because an Rand is kind of a polarizing figure in a lot of ways. We'll get to this when we get to this, but you right, I mean it's not something that I'd really given a lot of thought to I guess was in the back of my mind. It's like, yeah, for something that's supposedly celebrating women, this is all not all that celebratory. This is a little bit mean spirited in some ways.
Speaker 2: So the first one, they're taking the mickey out of Salma's appearance as Queen Elizabeth first in Snow White, they're talking about how hot the weather girl is. In the third one week or the fountain Head when we get the the mention about the third one is Macbeth. The third was Macbeth. For the fourth one, sorry, because there's four action. This is the first episode they ever have four stories out an extra year, which is why it's four great women and a manicure, which I feel like that just did that so they can take off four weddings at a funeral.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A film which I still haven't seen. Really Yeah, okay, then, but I like it, I think so.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's my favorite out of those Richard Curtis sort of British rom coms of the nineties. Everyone seems to like the Actually and notting Hill. Yeah, Boardings have been really sort of kickstarted it.
Speaker 2: Anything I know about it is it has see you a little of prefer that's my best friend's wedding.
Speaker 1: That's correct.
Speaker 2: It was wet, wet, wet. I feel like when I was all around that's in that one. Yeah, I know because the film clip for the song has clips from the movie in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. See a little prefer.
Speaker 2: You and all seeing it around the table.
Speaker 1: It is they're talking about what's his name, dum mulroney was on the publicity circuit recently. I think he's got to show out on Netflix or one of those. And now, whether this was just clickbait or as our friend Matt Graney has referred to it, trick bait, that's why it's Matt Graning what the Lord saying something about? Oh yeah, this talk about it my best when, my best when's threading my best friend's wedding sequel. Now, whether or not this would actually come off or not, who knows. We don't happen. Gil Moore too, that's for sure. That's for sure. You enjoyed it. I enjoyed it. Yeah, we'll talk about it at a later date. Yeah, yeah, that could happen. My best friend is my best Friend's wedding? Good movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, we talked about the Beth one before though, how it just feels like again just retreading me Beth. One thing I will give it is I did like at least that it wasn't just them in historical times or it was a modern heading doing them at best play. Yeah, there was a bit, there was a spin on that one. At least it's Macbeth the story transposed onto Macbeth a production of Macbeth the play. Yeah, but again Marge comes across as negative in that episode.
Speaker 1: Well that's true. All women are not good in these stories.
Speaker 2: Except for Maggie, except Maggie in the final one.
Speaker 1: That's true. But maybe that's the message in that, you know, we can't have if you're gonna have stories and power, Well that's a gi no, no, no no. If you're going to have stories about women, they can't all be like positivity. Yeah, they can't all be positive because you know, women of human beings just lead the misty, be prone to negative actions and negative emotions. Whether you want to bring that wholly to deservers and put that completely under the spotlight as you do in these episodes, well that's another thing altogether.
Speaker 2: But they try to end the first one with a message of strength and positivity, saying she goes, I don't need a man because I've got England.
Speaker 1: But they ended with mogoan. Yeah you tell yourself that. Well yeah, but again, who's saying this? It's mo Yeah, the cartman theory exactly that. But is everyone going to take that away from from that particular or from four great great women and a manicure in general?
Speaker 2: I just think if I was a kid watching this, I would go, that's why I said women should shouldn't have hairy legs, women shouldn't look like this. That's that's the takeaway from that story for me as a kid. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Essentially, if you're not that worldly wise or anything like that, you're probably going to go, well, all these characters are saying and it must be the truth, yea, even if they are sort of dodgy characters or you know, sketchy individuals.
Speaker 2: I did think the Big beeth one could almost have been a trance of horror segment.
Speaker 1: It felt that way, didn't it. Yeah. Well, Macbeth is generally regarded as one of Shakespeare's going to be more gruesome plays, even though yeah, old Bill Billy Shakes knew what the punters wanted. He tended to throw in a bit of gore in there.
Speaker 2: I had I put this on because I was going to watch it Holly at home. I thought, oh, four great women in a manicure for women.
Speaker 1: You can watch this one. People stay getting stad and I was like, Oh, what are we doing here, guys, it's a daddy fail. Actually, that's not a daddy fail on your partner. I was I supposed to know. No, they didn't have the thing beforehand. This this episode was made in a time of different attitudes, as they tend to have before certain things these days. Like I think there was one that was made in the nineties where it was kind of like, this is very much of its times, like the nineties. Come on, man, he my favorite favorite members of the episode, I had one or two. Actually, this is not even a backhanded compliment. It's just a non compliment. When Lisa was telling her snow White Store, I've written in a cool story, Lisa, because it really was.
Speaker 2: No. I do always get a chuckle though out of seeing The Simpsons back then taking the mickey out of Disney saying you can't talk about that because it's Disney, and I'm like, you guys, knew.
Speaker 1: I liked that there was an English horse named Tea Biscus, and I thought that was kind of scratches trivia question. Oh, okay, there we go. I just spent a whole lot of time saying the word Macbeth. I mentioned a little while ago that I've done some acting in my past. One of the things around theaters is you're not supposed to call it Macbeth. You're supposed to call it the Scottish play. Apparently it's bad luck if you say the word Macbeth in a theater. In a theater CA. It's kind of like the break of leg kind of deal it is. Yeah, yeah, I mean you're not meant to say good luck to someone say break a leg as weirdos. But I did not know that. What did you learn in this episode? Dand with cut nor manor of corners here? I thought during that Scottish Play segment had some really good visuals. When doctor Hibbitt was being taken.
Speaker 2: Out with the with the laughing at it, that's in my favorite moments because I've gone this feels like a final destination death. It's horrific in not a gory way. But he knows he's dying. He can't control he can't control the laughter, and he's trying to open the window. He's trying to and he can't open it. And it's like the realization, Oh, I'm about to die and I can't do anything about it.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is terrifying. I thought it was really well mate. Yeah, and I don't know, we're not really it's not really a spoiler or anything like that. But in the final installment there's no spoilers and historical tales. I guess not well, but I must admit when I first heard Maggie speaking Jodi Foster, yeah, well yeah, I was like, wow, this is really good. Who is it? I mean, this is familiar to me? And then you get to the closing crease Jody Foster, it was those all was really good casting, uh and tenerally just really good performance, good line reading by Jodie Foster.
Speaker 2: In that regard, I really liked her delivery of have you stab Tai? I liked Homer's here, just the relatable sent moment of I can't remember what he said unless you're not a.
Speaker 1: Man, No, dear, I'm a mandy. Well you already did you know sort of what we what you learn from this episode. I know we do that after the review, but I might jump ahead and do mine now. Is that the play Macbeth is essentially whatever you see, sweetie, because weg Beth. There's this noted wartime general and all that basically a big old simp. You know. His wife is just saying, you could be king math, you could be rulining this joint if you're willing to go the extra yards, Like why don't you call that guy about that job, bringing a little more scratch? And so it's like it was a bit ridiculous.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, I see his people, you need to kill now, And I'm like, Jesus, well God check me Beath good play?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not not not not Beth. What's it called. Well, we're not in a theater, we're in a recording studio. We're we're in a creative space. We can say good luck and nothing will happen. There's the thumbnail. But those were my favorite moments. Do you have any others?
Speaker 2: I know you've touched on both of mine and plus no, dear, I'm a man deer.
Speaker 1: I keep forgetting the name of the cartoon that actually has their voice. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's like droopy dog or something that's droopy dog. I know it's yeah, yeah it is droopy is his name?
Speaker 1: Droopy dog dog?
Speaker 2: It sounds like I'm Huckleberry Finn as well or your Huckleberry hound Hounberry finth.
Speaker 1: Yes, hug, it's a little more smooth. Yeah, I was so gay. So droopy dog said his name, Drew Piers, have a look droopy dog? Is he Droopy? Is just his name? Droupy? Yeah? Yeah, electric care.
Speaker 2: But for me it's always the I think it's last weeks at the Springfield? Whereas it with him?
Speaker 1: Next question? You there eating the paste? All right?
Speaker 2: My first question for you is stricker from the record. You've already got a tea biscuit. My second question is what is Krabby's occupation?
Speaker 1: Oh well, I know that Krabby is one of the seven Little People. I've got no idea what his occupation was. Marketing. Remember that he says, you're marketing? Why do you even have a pick axe? You don't remember this? You didn't? Did you watch the episode? So I watched the episode, I'm not. I covered my butt a little earlier by saying I did zone out during this one, because I quite frank there wasn't that interesting.
Speaker 2: Honestly, there was a lot of moments here where I had to push pause and go back. So I've been I realized I was watching and not even taking any notes. Not even nothing was absorbed into my mind.
Speaker 1: It was just what just happened. Yeah. I certainly took notes, but one of them wasn't Crabby's occupation. So you've got me that that time around? Uh, how many ships are in the Spanish ahmada? Oh is this just both counting on screen or does he say it? Oh? They say it. I'm going to say twenty four and you'd be incorrect. Twelve, one hundred and twenty. Oh shit, that's a bigger Marty. But it's a little little ship. Yeah, yeah, which they then have to turn the real boats. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Your next question, what was Marge washing out of the leotard? If you oh, it was go getting to show business. If you don't want to wash this out of Lithard's, that's correct. That's what my wife always has on her pizza. But that you would ever know that. But it's just a fun fact about Dane's life. Pepperoni, it's barbecue saucebecue saw oh, and I'm not a big fan of barbecue sauce, and Nicola knows one way to get me not pitching her pizza is to a get barbecue sauce and then say companies have extra barbecue sauce on top, just to.
Speaker 1: Make sure that motherfucker doesn't touch my pizza. Well to quote a movie that we both enjoy and a a picture of the new name challenge, clever girl. Yeah, clever girl indeed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she also does just for the final kicker, just throw some pineapple on the way you're at it. I don't eat pineapple and pizza, dude.
Speaker 1: I don't mind Hawaiian.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm quite partial to that barbecae chicken pizza with pineapple. No, no, she's just sweet on top of sweet and top of sweet. Now she's just messing with you, man. Yeah, oh yeah, I know it was. I watched it the other day. She was picking the pineapple off, and you asked it was a bit too much pine You just ordered pineapple.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't eat your pizza. I know what you're doing. A woman and well played. Homer bribes cheap Wigham with dry cleaning vouches. How much off? Oh, I'm gonna say twenty percent? Was it? You're right twenty percent. Yeah, I'll give you one moment, a random thing.
Speaker 2: No, it was to set up the fact that Margor was telling the story about a woman who was being held back by a shitty husband.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I have one more question if you want, who does Lenny play in the production of McBeth. It's Lennox, It is Lennox. Indeed. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually one of my favorite moments was lew and Eddie. Who will play the two unspeaking, non speaking Yeah, they're still better than Homer. All right, Well that is all our trivia question. There's time to give some shout out to our stone cutters. Stonecutters, stone cutters, indeed, starting with the incredible KDG with her one hundred doll support. Thank you so much, kat G, you are a superstar. Also the following people, Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach Pruitt, Shanney Macker, Elliott j O'Neil, Isabella Murphy, Raged Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sewn DV, Pete Anderson, Timothy bels And Andrew Davis, Kevin Dental, Planned, Flood, Bello Win THEO Bank, Jack McFadden. That will be Adrian McLeod March eleven, Ginger and People, Preston, Murray t Ley, Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan, b Joe Ridden, Sect, Dave Pretzels McNally, James Sheppard, Demi Miller, Gavin Lang and Charlie Joe. Thank you for being top tier stone Cutters supporters of ours on Patreon. He at four finger discount if I If you have signed up and I've missed your name, don't worry. You're getting veryed out on next week's show.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So, the original air date of Four Great Women and a Manicure was May tenth, two thousand and nine. I have not done the blockbuster. I feel it is the time we've been to pat out this episode because it's not gonna be much dissecting done here.
Speaker 1: So let's do it. What do you think were the top films at the US box office in two thousand and nine. Let's have a look.
Speaker 2: Give me a little hint, give you a little hint. Let's go scroll down two two thousand and nine. Doing it right now. It was the air date was May tenth, Mother's Day. I feel it is gonna be a Mother's Day film of some kind. Do you think maybe or they're.
Speaker 1: Not that they clever?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Quite possibly. I mean they've made a movie called Mother's Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the number one film at the Oh no, it was a comic book based film, a graphic novel based film. Some would say, Okay, then I'm gonna say Watchman correct, well done, Yes, number one at the US box office. I remember going to the movies to watch that. One of my best friends was obsessed with the film. I've never watched it since.
Speaker 1: It's been a while since i've watched, but I do recall that. I think everyone was a everyone.
Speaker 2: All these comic book notes were kind of like Watchman, best common book ever. No one knows about it, that's why it's cool. Well kind of yeah, I mean yeah, very much. I think comics they're not just for kids anymore. People have been trying to make it into a movie. For goodness is how long all these interesting people were involved. And it was Zack Snyder hot off his Daughter of the Dead remake and three hundred. It was like this could be interesting before Zack Snyder became Zack Snyder. Yeah, it was like there's good, no great, it was pretty good.
Speaker 1: I thought it was not bad at all, had some really really good casting in it, and some interesting ways of bringing the Watchman story to the screen.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I apologize that was March so my bad. Oh so Watchman worth It's worth watching.
Speaker 1: Certainly worth checking out, but certainly not the right answer. No, there's particular question.
Speaker 2: No, but the number one film at the usbox officuly when this episode aired was a film starting your favorite Chris A Pine Pine It'll be star trest I track the first one, Yes, yeah, a really good movie that is pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Number two X Men Origins Wolverine, no good movie. And number three, which was number two last week, was Ghost Girlfriends.
Speaker 1: Past Alright, alright, Matthew McConaughey.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, we're touched on those two films. Star Trek though, worth watching if you're if you're not a Star Trek fan. I'm not a Star Trek fan. I know nothing about Star Trek, and I enjoyed the movie. A really good example of a good reboot. Yeah yeah, the next Tube Man, they were all right. They were made because the first time was so successful. I'm assuming that's why many A sequels made. Dando exactly, you fool, how the world works. This show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpson's reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Sifould, the One About Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four Finger Discount. The episode was written by Valentina al Gaza as we said, and directed by Raymond s Percy. Guest starred Jodie Foster as Maggie sim and the catch gig are. French artist chisels the Simpsons out of a stone block then turns the sculpture into a general statue. Apparently the commentary only has Mac graning, Wow, well it's season twenty because this is the thing they released, so they've done all the wafe to season twenty now. But season twenty got released on DVD after like season thirteen got released on seven Look, they jumped straight too when season twenty came out. When it was first on TV, they released the DVD's. Then everyone was like, what about all the other teen seasons, and they're like, we'll get to them, we'll get to them. So I never actually bought season twenty so I was like, yeah, I'm not interested in that. But they do have audio commentary, so that's the that's the audio commentaries that I still had never listened to Mac Green doing a commentary by himself.
Speaker 1: I'm always I mean, I wonder what you have to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not too sure, but yeah, So if you want to hear a man talk about this episode, it's Matt Ground.
Speaker 1: It's by the dvdaes at this one, or you could just listen to this podcast. We had two men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what you think of all the episodes? Why would you get like Julie Cavr and get the women on board for this at least this commentary?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I would think so, think so and dare It doesn't matter. So the episode kicks off with margin Lisa arriving at the finger looking good snail Sale, which I thought was a clever title. Colonel Sanders out looking at his fingers admiring them. I remember when I was in school, and this is just you know, you had to be there, right, They used to say to a guy. And if you did this, you're a dude. Yeah, if you did that, you're a bit.
Speaker 1: More lady on friends, right, was it friends? I think friends did that? Okay, it would not surprise me. Yeah, because I think Chandler might have done that. He might have looked at the back of his hand as opposed to folded his fingers over. It sounds like something that would channel would be very bothered by it. I think Joey might have brought up, like, it's not how you do that, dude, You're gay. Friends had to be there, you had to be there.
Speaker 2: Lisa is there for a first many Petty and Lisa asked if it's more important for women to be smart and powerful and beautiful. She says, you can give me all three good point March that's a point one, Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then we get the story of about Queen Elizabeth the first She had it all except the most important thing. You better not say, a man, No, her husband. So they tell the story. It's fifteen eighty eight, four hundred years before Kirk Gibson, who.
Speaker 1: I have no idea who that is.
Speaker 2: We hit a famous home run, obviously a famous baseball player of some kind.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing he plays baseball. Yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Selma is playing the role of the Queen Elizabeth the first in this she's awaiting suitors to be married to I guess so she can pump out her son, so that Moe whoever Moe is playing assistant of some kind, adviser of some kind, that Moe doesn't have to need to work for a broad no more. Prince Ralph of Austria, who's just an idiot.
Speaker 1: Excuse me? Can you believe it?
Speaker 2: We get Julio of Spain, which is just Hank getting to do his campy voice.
Speaker 1: Doing his bird cage voice. Absolutely yeap.
Speaker 2: He makes some gay quips hits on the Jester which is crusty, and he gets annoyed when Elizabeth shuts him down and talking to go away.
Speaker 1: He says, you'll He'll get revenge. Then Homer. Who does Homer play? It's Sir Walter ra Yes, yes, indeed best known or perhaps he's got other things going for him, but kind of embodied chivalry apparently because it might have been a kiwi two here who sorry, que one, we haven't got it the sequel yet. Ahm was going to walk across like a puddle or something. So Reley takes off his cape laser down over the water, so you know her feet won't get wet. What a man smooth mood by Walt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, right, so yeah, so she's taken aback by him or Marges anyway, Marge is just another worker there, I'm guessing of some kind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a chamber made. Yeah, your majesty, I have returned from the New World with a gift this helpful and slimming herb tobacco. If I ever have sex, this'll be great. Afterwards, that was almost gonna be one of my favorite bits. I thought that was not a bad line. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Julio though, once the status of his Spanish amade amada sorry, and Lenny shows him the mad and then he says, where the real ones?
Speaker 1: Know? These are the real ones.
Speaker 2: They're just little models on a table, and he says take him away and put things inside of him, not nice things.
Speaker 1: And I was like, what are we doing? What are we doing here about than waiting for the next segment.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth then gets angry when she catches I'm just gonna say. The characters as Homer and Marge kisses at the bottom of the steps because she was taken aback by how strong he was and how chivalrous he was, because she loves them both, apparently because she says, I loved Junes, like, which one are you talking to?
Speaker 1: I don't even know? Listeners and doers. If you are interested in learning a little bit more about this, well, there are many history books that you could read. There are also the Elizabeth movies. There's just one called Elizabeth that came out in the late nineties, starring Kate Blanchette as Elizabeth. First, they came out with a sequel a few years later called Elizabeth the Golden Age, which had Kate Blenchett replies in her role Clive Owen as Sir Walter Rawley, who was apparently, yeah, bit of a pants man. So there you go. If you want to have fun a little learn, a little something to listen a full finger discount. But then maybe you check out these movies.
Speaker 2: Clive O was the one you nearly spoke to in once. I did speaking to a cafe once once.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Struck meals, all right, that's the thing you see. You see some movie stars in real life. It's kind of like whoa, And then you see others kind of like, we're just You're just a dude like me. He's sitting down and join a Coffee've got a little ball spot in the back of your head. With more money and more talent. Well is that more moneys done about more talent? Yeah, club, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so she is angry at them both for kissing and cheating on her. I guess I don't know whatever.
Speaker 1: It is, she's the really, she's kind of sexually frustrated or romantically frustrated both.
Speaker 2: Then thinks that she's because she's hairy, she doesn't shave, that she's Beowolf whatever.
Speaker 1: Well, no, she's Grendel. Grendol, which is the monster, and Beowolf is the hero of Legend who apparently slew Grendel.
Speaker 2: Okay, then yeah, so basically saying that she's likely and hairy. Then she arrives on tea Biscuit, well not quite on him, because Tebiscuit hasn't any part of having quinnas with the first on him, so he runs into the water and commits suicide.
Speaker 1: It's really harsh. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Amada then arrives and they realize it's too early to be standing underneath the mission accomplished banner, and they pray Lord Jesus, our country termed Protestants for the sole reason so our fat mean King gold Dumpy's faithful wife.
Speaker 1: This is the man really business. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And then Homer is pipe acidently causes the ship to go up in flames. They all abandoned ship like cowards, and it drives through Themada.
Speaker 1: Normally I love to be flaming dreen boats heading my way, but not like this, baby, not like them. You had to be there. One of this is historically accurate. Who knows an print the legend?
Speaker 2: Homer is now Sir Sir Walter Raleigh. Queenlizabeth the First blesses them. She says, you've saved us from the Amada, and she says I don't need a man because I have England and moss.
Speaker 1: Yeah whatever you think. That's the end of that story. Let's move on to the next one, shall we.
Speaker 2: So we've got the two Asian workers in the inner store saying we're going to go to the Cuckooo in our language means nothing. I'm like, is that even a reference to something? I've never heard anyone say that?
Speaker 1: What is the joke? Here are your Cuckaroo is like as a chain restaurant. All right, is it really? I believe so CU's I have not. I just thought this is make up words. Cuckoo.
Speaker 2: I should have googled cuckoo American fast casual restaurant. Okay, so the joke is that they're going to an Asian theme restaurant. Doesn't actually mean anything. Okay, okay, I'll give you that one. Then fair enough.
Speaker 1: So here's yeah, Well, allow me to read from the internet. Cuckoo was an American fast casual restaurant. Was huh, yeah, well, I've heard of fast food and I've heard of casual. This is called fast casual. I'm not sure what that means. Cuckaroo was an American fast casual restaurant chain specializing in charm broiled chicken. Found it in nineteen eighty eight by a pair of Los Angeles based restaurant tours. The name Cuckoo was an on a mate on a on a matae reference France was on a p take reference to the of a rooster. So yeah, it's not even Asian sort of adjacent. I feel like you need to have cocoa as a it's very tasty. That's where you want to go down a cuckoo. What a marketing genius you are? Chicken handbag is god have a bottom of soda? But it's not even Yeah, it's funny that it's not even Asian adjacent and they're still making a gag out of it. Yeah, that is bizarre, right, Yeah, given the font that they're using, you could make that mistake if you weren't wearing your glasses.
Speaker 2: But if it's not meant to be a an Asian reshot of any kind, then why would you? Yeah, what does this joke mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean make a joke about say PF. Chang's and say, by the way, that guy's not even Asian or something. City Walk.
Speaker 2: Says, are going to look pretty, and Lisa says she has a dangerous story about beauty and it's snow white and a seven, and the blue head lawyer interrupts her, saying that they're all belong Disney. Yeah, we've heard the spiel before. She says, Well, my dwarfs are named crabby, drunky, hungry, greedy, Lenny Kearney, doctor human. Indeed, snow white film that was made that one time.
Speaker 1: I have written down here I have no desire to watch the new snow White, even though it is currently on our Disney Plus Friend of the Pot. Yeah, that film is just meant to be forgotten about, right, I think?
Speaker 2: So what an absolute mediated disaster that was for Disney. That just in the entire the pre production, the production, them, everything about it.
Speaker 1: Just an absolute disaster. But how many of these live action remakes have you watched or have you been even excited for? I mean, they made a live action Mulan. It got to a point where they do it that it kind of exists. So The Jungle Books was the first one Jungle Book and it did very well. Being the beast I have never seen. Apparently it's good, right, it's all right. Lion King was just like you watched his going everyone went to seat because it was the Lion King, and then he got halfway through and going what the hell am I watching here? But they've had like the prequel to that recently.
Speaker 2: We haven't got to see Nicola, who is of all the people I've met in this world, Nicola, my wife is the biggest Lionking fan, and she has zero desire to watch my fast.
Speaker 1: It apparently made mad Bank because yeah, people are idiots. Well that's true, but yeah, snow White did not. No, yeah, it just strikes me as this very sad feedback loop Aladdin. I didn't mind. I enjoyed. Think about Aladdin is I thought, and I will die on this hill.
Speaker 2: The music in the live action Aladdin is so much better than the music in the original Aladdin animated version, just from a sheer perspective. Right, Will Smith singing Robin Williams songs, He's not on that level. I'm talking just the music. So like Will Smith's actually singing is not great, not better than Rob Williams as the genie, but just the actual music of that song fan like me is so much better in the live action And I swear by that.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not. I'm not going to dispute that. I mean, in my humble opinion, Okay, I don't really remember a lot about Aladdin, considering how well that did. It's got a surprisingly shallow cultural footprint.
Speaker 2: It's a look like Avatar, and some it's because Disney don't want you to remember it, essentially like well, because if you remember it, then you will you won't shell out for the next one. So we got to do so we've got snow White and she's talking about she tells a story.
Speaker 1: It so hide. This song's not like any song, you know.
Speaker 2: I like the ho Hey, it's just it's a little fun gay. This song's not like any other song, you know. We get the Wicked Queen, who isn't actually played by any Simpsons character. I'm like, what was the point then? Why was this not a Simpsons character? Is that the whole point of doing these.
Speaker 1: Is that slot? Missus k in there? Somebody somebody hell?
Speaker 2: And she asked the HDTV on the Wall, which is a gag that works in two thousand and nine, but not now whatever nine yet Esney nine, because HDTV is a just do you even say HDTV?
Speaker 1: The Wrek? You just a tv AV novel. But it was certainly a thing there in the in the late two thousands when it's like full HD, Oh my god, incredibly high definition and yeah, we're going to see what everybody looks like. Yes, yeah, not good.
Speaker 2: But so she asked who the Ferris on the Wall is, and it's snow White and the weather girl from Channel nine.
Speaker 1: There's a great gag in thirty Rock where they they do the HD thing where it's like you see what everybody looks like HDTV. Yeah, but I think I think it's mainly it might be Tina Fame. Mostly, it might be Liz Lemon really sort of made up to look like the Wicked Witch of the West. You see Jack donneghe Alec Bourban on HDTV and it's nineteen ninety for October. Because he just wins all the time. That's a really good game.
Speaker 2: I saw someone share a photo of Alec Borward like a sort of convention like two weeks ago, and he's just setting up this fold out table next to like some random voice after and it's like, that's Ali Borwert.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, what the hell happened? Cons are weird. We talk about this all the time, but they strike me so strange that these days, you're, of course familiar with the Lost Boys, and you're seeing meet with Jason Patrick, the star at that in his prime, in his youth, beautiful, the most handsome men around. You know, you think, oh my god, this guy's gonna be the biggest movie star ever. And apparently he was kind of his own words down to me in a lot of ways, took the work and himself a bit serious. The little val Kilmorrish in some regards. He was like some con in La not long ago, but like because he's in Terrifier three apparently, and he's in a lot of B movies these days. But I think still with the feeling he's one of these people who again takes himself and his art very very seriously. And here he is at this fucking con with a fold out card table signing art the clown merch. It's like, I shouldn't be feeling sorry for you, Jason Patrick. I'm Guy Davis. I shouldn't be feeling sorry for Jason Patrick. Kind of did ye.
Speaker 2: At this time and there's not no one there, and I'm like, that's Alc Baldwin.
Speaker 1: It's funny because he comes across as someone who's very sort of I mean, he's got that great voice, in that great presence, and he's come across a very very dignified Yeah, but lately there's that thing. But there's also he's been doing a lot of tiktoks or Instagram reels with his wife, who apparently is not Spanish but speaks in a Spanish accent. You can look into that yourself, but that's just too weird for my blood. But doing a whole lot of those kind of very relatable. Hey, it's it's me and my husband, Alec Boorwyn. Here we are in the pool. Here we are driving out to get some cuckooo or some ship like that. It's like, how fuck does the economy that you have to do this business?
Speaker 2: It's just he's doing the concert and I'm looking at this like all these different kinds ex. Salt Lake City.
Speaker 1: Now, we are not going to be judging anyone how they get the bag, but at the same time.
Speaker 2: Just sounds bizarre because I grew he was a star and like thirty Rocks he was. Yeah, it's Alec Baldwin.
Speaker 1: At the same time, I think he has copped to the fact that he remarried. You've got a bunch of kids. Was like the controversy with the gun scenario is that as well still still seems to be working. But the way you sort of make your money these days is but by rocking up to a con and just you know, signing autographs.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to show you a photo here, look at this. It's just him with a bunch of eight by tens on a cardboard on a fold out table. Oh boy, with like a homemade banner behind him. It's bizarre, right, Yeah, that someone probably made on fiver. Yeah, and the biggest character on that banner is boss Baby.
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we now return you to four great women and a manicure. How did we get to to Ali Bourbin and to all that talking about the weather go on channel nine?
Speaker 1: Hey TV? Yeah, yeah we gave.
Speaker 2: But she orders Willy, the evil Queen orders Willing to go and bring her this is a snow White's heart in the box and put the rest of her in this box. And when you get back and get your reward and has a box shaped like him. Snow White is then cooking. She tells the turtle to get into the soup. He dies a horrible death, and she laughs about it.
Speaker 1: And I was like, why, why what is going on there? NICKI turtles? Yeah, everyone loves turtles, the favorite of God's animals. Yeah, it's bizarre that moment. But Willy walks in. I cannot do it. Run Lassie, find we little men and hide with them. Now to fool the queen with a pig's heart. I cannot do it. Maybe I'll get a heart out of construction. People. I cannot do it. I cannot do it, so she goes through the gingerbread house. You're doing you can do it? Spoiler alert. That moment in Happy Gil what made me smile, just a little smiling and happy. Yeah, I don't know how much off and I laughed. I smiled a lot.
Speaker 2: I laughed a lot at the bit with the when he kept hitting the gold balls, keep hit him the head because I like, I said to Nicola, push pause, and I was like, this isn't like funny unless Adam Sandler's doing it. It's just like, are the sound make And I'm like, this is so stupid, But Adam Sandler doing it. It's just funny. Adam Sandler just you can't up but love him. They yeah, gingerbread house. She finds Grandma's house and the dogs inside.
Speaker 1: The wolf What is that, oh Grandma? Yeah? The red writing on story. Yeah, I thought I thought it was like a specific wolf from Disney or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it almost looked a bit like the text Avery did, yeah, from the mask. Then she finds the house that belongs to the Seven Dwarfs. She goes inside, she tests out the beds.
Speaker 1: We're getting the.
Speaker 2: Goldilocks reference here too, hard, too soft, third once also too hard, so she settles for the soft one. Then we get the dwarfs. As they say, here arriving home, it's time to now get high. Take some shrooms. Go to our rooms.
Speaker 1: People of guys elk sure and they see the lights on.
Speaker 2: And Mo Krabby says, let's put a pick axe in its brain. And they say, you're in marketing, why do you need an axe? And he's like, if you're in marketing, you'd know.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Krabby then tries to wake up snow White because they assume they find her in bed o. She's beautiful, she must be cursed. She needs to kiss to wake her up. She wakes up quickly, so he then kisses a door knob instead. How any of this was considered to be funny, I don't know. Let's just get through it.
Speaker 1: She's staying the billion That was probably the phrase they used in the rider's room, as well as like I've got dinner to get home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's staying home. The next day looking after the house. Dr Hibbitt warmed her to look out for the evil witch. She's a master of disguise and snow watches cleaning all the animals are helping her. The bear accidentally puts in too much cleaning powder, so that's too much. You get outside now, and I'm like, it's trying to help.
Speaker 1: You help. It's a big polite and they help out of the bear anyway.
Speaker 2: So then the evil witch arrives, forces her to take a by the red apple and she passes out. The dwarves approached the witch, she jumps out the window, sees the herbivores, who she thinks aren't going to attack her, and then they kill her. Yes, and that's the end of that story now, but snow white. Then she's asleep and she says she waited for a prince, but he never came. Since a woman doesn't need to depend on a man, she was brought back to life by our lady doctor march As.
Speaker 1: She lived happily ever after. While she could indulge in generous activities like handball, but otherwise she was fine. As I said, cool story, Lisa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the third one was probably the most enjoyable. I think the Macbeth one, yeah, purely because it was just felt had a horror aspect to it. I guess ba Hoomer asks for bride money before this story starts, Marge gives them dry cleaning coupons. Don't forget it's still going to be a civil suit, and Marg's like, oh, now, she tells the story of a great woman who was held backed by a not so great husband, and it's Macbeth. And it turns out that it's not actually set when Macbeth set. It's set on this set of a Mabeth play, which I oh, thank god, it's something different. And the director says that you shouldn't be complaining about You shouldn't get to show business if you're going to complain about washing barbecue sauce the fleotards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, this is a return of the director forgot the episode that is in my apologies, Yeah, I do have. But it's basically a takeoff of Roy Scheider in All that Jazz. He's got that sort of got the go to you got the open shirt? Yeah, very much, sort of like a macho Broadway director who's you know, he'll tear you down to get the best out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bringing down a few pegs. But she believes that if Homer had a better part or better role in the play, that she wouldn't have to be washing all of the outfits in the costumes, and we cut to Homer, who was a tree, and he says, well, at least I'm getting my face out there, and they cover his face with a bit of buck yep. This show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Seifeld, the One About Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com, Slash Fourthing Discount.
Speaker 4: I thought I was marrying a man who could play McBeth.
Speaker 1: Hey, there's no way I could ever be as good as dead guy stars. Hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires. Mels like the Son Lawrence Olivier and John Gilgood always vaunted but never heard, But oh how they tried. I don't know about that. I mean John Gilgert was gay. I don't know if Laurence Olivier was gay. It is actors. You ever heard that thing about Tom Hardy, He's bane he's much that's the odor, sure that that's great. I think someone asked him, you know when he was when he started was on the rides, like maybe had like a same sick experiences. And he's like, man, it was an actor in the nineties. Of course I've had gay experience.
Speaker 2: It's like, wow, good bed, I never heard the hardy boys hardly boys. But she says to Homer that perhaps we should turn Mal into a six feet understudy. And I was like, do you mean kill him? She's like yeah, So she gives him the knife. He sets into his room. I didn't mind the snoring snore as he's snoring, tries to kill him, but it turns out it's just a prop knife. So he beats him to death with his own bone, not before he quotes Shakespeare see him in Heavens.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then the director calls a moment of silence moment over and says, Homer, You've now got the lead as a result of the death of sideshow Mal's bone climbing out of his hair and.
Speaker 1: Beating him to death seems seems logical.
Speaker 2: I'm just happy with her. With her D's Homer is now terrible in the role. He's reading the wrong place. He's going bye bye Berdie and then Matrics reloaded script.
Speaker 1: Twenty five.
Speaker 2: This feels dated, but at the time that's just trueloaded. They were huge at the time.
Speaker 1: Man, oh well, we were all kind of oh were Matrix fantastic? You get It's kind of like it's like seeing Phantom Menace for the first time. I should be enjoying this. Why am I not enjoying it? Is it me? Is it just that you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I'm not there watching Last Jedi? Remember we hide out Gold Class. We had like Star Wars trivia before it started, and like half an hour in you just sense that everyone's room was looking at it and going, oh no, you two. But this is where we get This is where we start getting the reviews though, So they're at MOS after the play, they're all getting their reviews. Does this actually happen in New York? They do reviews like that night.
Speaker 1: Apparently so apparently back in the day. Yeah, yeah, because this feel like who does newspapers now? In general? That's true, it just go online and type. But it would be certainly with Broadway, I mean, which was sort of setting the tone for the theater across America. The critic would go instantly sort of bash out the review just in time for the early edition or whatever. So yeah, you'd have people. Yeah, cast members and crew members are sort of clamoring for that first edition. See what do they think? What do they think? Because it's going to make or break you. Yeah, reviews mattered? Oh absolutely yeah, but now it's our mate Emon Moss background, Hello influencers. What a boss moment, What a lord.
Speaker 2: March then reads that Hibbitt as Banquo gets the good reviews, So March as, you're gonna have to kill him?
Speaker 1: Next? Is this where Homer says, wouldn't it be easier if I just took acting let's screw your courage to the sticking place and will not fail?
Speaker 2: What's that from X Men too? Macbeth mccoop. Homan then sneaks into the hospital and we've already touched on this when he kills Hibbitt with a laughing gas This was actually terrifying. Imagine being in this moment, My goodness, being in a room knowing it's almost like drowning and being like a foot from the top of the water.
Speaker 1: It's like it's right there.
Speaker 2: If I just got to there, I'd be saved, but you can't get that window open and dies Like that's horrifying to me. It's just like it'd be like, you know, what, do you think you'd be more fearful of being eaten alive by a shark or someone drowning you and holding you just like a foot under the water. What would be more terrifying? I think obviously the shark is more painful and terrifying.
Speaker 1: Right, I think so? But yeah, I've got a just a lifelong fear of drowning. Yes, was I nearly drowned when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, I nearly drowned when I was about thirteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The rip just took me out and I thought for a moment I was sick. It's almost like I came to piece of it. I was like, oh I'm going to die now. Oh yeah, Well, I mean I remember thinking of going, oh, are you going to die? And then I was like and then all of a sudden, I got out and I was like, I'm not going to die. And it's such a weird feeling.
Speaker 1: I've got a podcasts a weird.
Speaker 2: Coming to piece of going, Oh I can't do it. I'm just going to die.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is very interesting. I'm wondering if it feels like sort of going back to the womb in some ways, because you know, when you're in your mum's tummy, you're sort of floating around in the amniotic sac, You've got all this fluid around you. You're basically an amphibian. Going back and drowning would kind of feel like, oh, well, back to the I've respawned.
Speaker 2: Essentially, I wasn't even really panicking. I panicked for a second, and then when I sort of felt like I couldn't get to the top, I stopped panicking.
Speaker 1: You hear this a lot about drowning. Yes, yeah, I mean because my experience happened when I was very young. I would have been about maybe three or four. You remember, it's one of my first memories. Oh wow, Yeah that explains at all. Oh yeah that I I was basically on the bottom of the deep end of the pool and I kind of had this thought, all right, well, there are the steps I'm gonna have to walk from here to get to there. And then I was yanked out of the pool by one of my sisters. So it is. But so I've got that fear of drowning at the same time, it's like, maybe I shouldn't because apparently it's supposedly quite peaceful. Once you sort of realize, oh, this is happening. That's literal, and I experienced that. Yeah, yeah, it was weird. Yeah, so like being eaten by wild animals or being eaten my shark or something, I think that, Yeah, that would kind of suck.
Speaker 2: I cried for like two hours afterwards, just purely from just the of course, I don't know how to feel. I was like, yeah, so emotional. I was like, I'm alive, and it was just it was bizarre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, become completely aware of the fragility of it all. I can go in any second. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But anyway, getting back to this episode, to Yah homesteaking to hospitals and killing people. Yes, but marg then reads the reviews and saying that everyone it was better than Homer, even Eddie and Lou as the two soldiers without any lines, are better than Homer and last and least yeah Homer, as they call him. So she questions Homer, questions why they're writing new reviews every single day. It's like sh But then he kills them all at the cast party, and then he sings a song to himself and sleeps on their corpses, and Margin's annoyed that he killed them all in their costumes. And then the ghosts of all the corpses confront Margines that your dark ambitions guided him, guided his murderer's hand.
Speaker 1: No, I just encouraged him.
Speaker 2: You're encouraged by withholding sex sex. I'm like, when did that happen?
Speaker 1: Is that a delete the scene? What does she withhold sex?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to recall if that actually happens in Macbeth, But anyway, it's not in this story. Like there is no mention of Homo not getting He could have just said a snowball, not until you kill the cast members, or maybe maybe she does say in the bed because they are in the bed. When she says that maybe I'm missing, I was so just like chewing out for this one. I couldn't care man. But Homer finds her dead though, because the ghost kill her at least as you can't nag me anymore, and she's like, that's where you're wrong. Get out on stage, and the director points out that there's no cast, there's no audience.
Speaker 1: This is your moment. Get out there and do this thing. Why I go cheer out my books.
Speaker 2: Of my subway sandwich franchise, because if you call a sandwich maker an artist, it's like an invitation to steal. So Homer performs the play really well. Marge is proud of him, and she says, there's now nothing that can stop you from taking on Shakespeare's greatest role. She throws various scripts at him, and then he kills himself by shooting himself and says, me, having to read all those players would have been a real tragedy. Ended that one, and it's now time for a fourth story.
Speaker 1: No, no, what what? Three stories?
Speaker 2: That's what we always tell Yes, yeah, no, it's the fourth one. And Maggie wants one too, So Marge points out that Agnes is reading the book, which is is it the fountain Head? The fountain Head for right wing losers? And Agnes thinks that what's her name again?
Speaker 1: Ain Ran? Yeah, it's her first name? Is a y n that Anne or ain That's the thing. I mean, I thought it was ain Ran. I thought it was ann Ran, I think when I was a kid. Yeah, let's go with ann Ran.
Speaker 2: But anyway, but anyway, she Agnes thinks that it's a guy and he's a second slice of beefcake.
Speaker 1: That's what he says, that's what she says.
Speaker 2: Sorry, and margin tells the story of Maggie Rourke, an architecture who refuses to compromise, which is the story of the fountain Head. I did like the name of the play center, Mediocritots. The story just felt really bizarre. So the teacher doesn't want to be with the kids, doesn't want the kids to succeed or show any sort of I get that's the story of the found Head, but it's like in this setting just feels bizarre.
Speaker 1: It is, Yeah, look, they're really taking a shot at ay and raand which I think is really interesting because Brad Bird, who was like a really pivotal guy in Simpson's Law, people accuse him of being a rand guy in a lot of ways, particularly when it comes to people when it comes to the Incredibles, because in what way, well, the rand philosophy is kind of, if I'm capable of great things, I shouldn't be chained by mediocre ideas. I should be given freedom, the freedom to express myself and hopefully well, the way Bird interprets it, is like, if you allow people to, you know, talent people to do good things, benefit if it's everybody. You see that in The Incredibles and Your Seed and Tomorrowland as well. So whether this is a shout out or rebuke to brad Bird is kind of interesting. I'll admit I have not read any of Rand's work. It just didn't really appeal to me, although she's pretty good at like pinterest kind of things or like inspirational quotes. I just want to read two of them here. Well, one of them is it's not a question of whether or not I can do, it's a question of who's going to stop me. But the one that I similar to that didn't think of it whether they should, Well, yeah, there's that. There's one that I like very much though, and this feels kind of power positive thinking. But I like this very much. This is what Ann Rand said, The world you desire can be one. It exists, It is real, it is possible, it is yours. I like that. I mean that's something you should that you should say to yourself if you want to do things in life, because pretty much not everything is possible, but a lot of things are possible if you focus your attention and your will on that. And that's a lot of rand philosophy. Now I'm not gonna unfortunately that can be taken and twisted and distorted by a lot of especially bros. You mean, you'll probably get a lot of Randy and philosophy and say like Andrew Huberan or Andrew Taate. But uh, I kind of like that. And yeah, I mean, and I like it when Brad Bird does it in something like The Incredibles, you know, where you've got a lot of people saying no, no, no, stifle yourself, dance like these people are capable of great things. Let them cook.
Speaker 2: And it is struggle when you're a parent of As this episode ends, it's like the difference between destruction and allowing your child creative freedom. It's like I would love you to paint, just not on the walls please.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But Marge Yes said telling the story of Maggie Rourke and that the school and the teacher here, the educator he wants to do his online traffic school or whatever it is. So he says, you can play with some blocks and Maggie was excelling and I did, like here March's and that's just not because I'm her mother either. I'm not just saying we've all been there. It's like Alie's really good at foot, Like I know he's my son. Block, He's actually really good at.
Speaker 1: Foot, you know.
Speaker 2: But missus, mister Ellsworth two is his name. He wanted every child to conform. Dancers shouldn't kick too high, and building she mustn't touch the sky as al must reached the sky. He says to Maggie and knocks down her building. That she built the blocks and even the robble was too high, so he stands on it just to make sure and welcome to the real world, baby. Then we get a montage with him just destroying her various building creations and mediocrity rules, and I'm like, none of this is funny. It's just like it's just you're telling a story. Yeah, it's like jokes.
Speaker 1: It's kind of that thing where I know what they're talking about. It's it's clapped her more than laughter. I feel good for getting this reference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's now parent teacher day and he wants everyone to know how beaten down and uncreative you all are. But he says to the kids, and Homer says, if he was in that position to be a lot of strangled babies.
Speaker 1: What are the who's referring to other sort of very mediocre works of art or block building whatever, oh wonderfully pedestrian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he says, all right, everybody, you will believe your eyes. They come into Maggie has built something really cool and says you suck by holding up the U block and suck on the pacifier. So she gets tried as a toddler. Allsworth wants nine times out served consecutively. But then Maggie speaks up as Jodie Foster.
Speaker 4: Throughout the ages, the finger painter, the Plato sculptor, the Lincoln Lagger, stood alone against the daycare teacher of her time. She did not live to earn approval stickers. She lived for herself that she might achieve things that are the glory of all humanity. These are my terms. I do not care to play by any others. And now, if the court will allow me, it's naptime.
Speaker 1: Jodi Foss was really good casto because Jody Foster tends to play as roles. Yeah. Yeah, women who are very strong forthright can't hold me back exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maggie grew up to be a famous architect building one of the Wonders of the world. Building was one of the wonders of the world, and on the top floor was a daycare center because every child was free to follow their dreams. Since nothing is cut, too much to tell, and Maggie off for drawing a kick ass painting on the wall. And that is the end of this episode, thank God. And that's not to say because I don't want stories about women. It's just I say this every time they do these types of episodes. I just don't like them. I apologize nothing to do with the theme that I like, the story and the point behind this. I'm glad that one of the on last week's mail Bake episode, one of the listeners wrote in saying, have you checked out the episode? That's kind of like twenty two short films about spirit, but it's all women's based. I remember really enjoying what I've seen at that so I'm going to go back and revisit that one. The idea behind this episode is good. I just think the execution was not great.
Speaker 1: I think some of these stories were really great scaffolding for Simpsons Shenanigans. Yeah, I mean, I think the Queen Elizabeth's story, the Lady Macbeth story, and even the Aine Ran story. They're pretty good and you can work with those. Snow White not so much. I don't think that worked at all. I think that was probably that's very much the flat tire.
Speaker 2: I mean, Queens before was the flat one for me. Okay, then there was a snow white kid when I was growing up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you use those events as the scafolding and then you put fun jokes in them or just you know, oh how interesting that they're using this Springfield character in this context, that can be kind of fun. This felt very slap dash. Let's just get this done. It did just it felt like they was hitting a quota. It did. Indeed, what do we learn bomb, Hey, we've already done. Ow, what'd you learn from this episode? What did I learn? Again? It was something I taught you? What did I forget?
Speaker 2: Peel to rewind or Dan? I can just edit into this, but yeah, I said that. Yeah, Macbeth is essentially whatever you hear, sweety yes.
Speaker 1: Exactly right. From day forward, your names will be all right.
Speaker 2: It's time for the Guy Davis New Name Championship, who currently the board stands at this in first position. We have Jared nam Me Jared Warby on twenty three points. We have Phil Hawkins on twenty two points and Hughesy Brian Hughes on eighteen points in third Take it.
Speaker 1: Away, Let's see how we go here. One point goes to a broad view of history.
Speaker 2: That would be Mike Salter again with some points this week.
Speaker 1: What A'm Mike sprinkling some so on your salt bay after the minute? Reference from there. Two points goes to her story of the World Part one, not bad?
Speaker 2: Adam Moorehouse. There you go, Adamihouse with the two points there, it gets him around about fourth position. Wild on Adam, Welcome to the woolhouse.
Speaker 1: Nice. One three points goes to see how this plays out. I am woman here my law. That's a really good title. That's pretty good. That one is he need me Gared? He need me Gared?
Speaker 2: I think that means he wins. It's on twenty six points in first position. Phil Horgans can't catch up on twenty two four points behind.
Speaker 1: Is only one episode left. Congratulations Jared Horny. Name is Jared Hornby.
Speaker 2: Jared Horny has won the Guy That's New Yon Championship. Next week's a dead rubber, it is.
Speaker 1: We've still got one more episode. By all means, give us your new name. There's still the wild card, you know, if you haven't entered before, throw your hat into the ring.
Speaker 2: As the English cricket team will want. You could have the moral victory, which, as we all though, is the sweetest and most profitable. But congratulations, Jared Hormy, you have won the season twenty guy Davis New Name Championship. Well done, my friend, nice Phil Hawkins. You can win the moral victory. You can have the moral victory if you get three points next week, so make sure you're sending your new names.
Speaker 1: Still don't get your jayback, sorry, buddy.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the thing. If you get three points next week, Phil, I'll give you the jay back. There you go, three points next week, he gets the jayback for the entirety of.
Speaker 1: The next season. I'll allow it. All right. Then here we go.
Speaker 2: So it's it's got something to root for now the jayback. All right, you've got your work out out for you, buddy. Indeed. Okay, so currently the board. Yeah, So Jared Hormy wins on twenty six. Second is Phil Hawkins on twenty two and third Brian hughes On eighteen points second, everybody who has contributed to the Guy Davis New Name Championship for season twenty. Next week is the finale of season twenty as well, and I've also put up a new Patreon asking for people to vote on a classic episode for us to review. This month's theme was Stressed because school holiday's time in Australia during this month, so I thought stress related episodes we will throw out their margin chains and Hurricane Neddy. They are the two episodes that we've decided to go with. And it turns out that they have elected Hurricane Netdy. Okay, then, yes, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure everyone had good intentions inting for that.
Speaker 2: In indeed, so Hurricane Netty is going to be the next guy on Springfield Review. Maybe next week, maybe the week after.
Speaker 1: We'll decide. Wow, we're just making it up as we go along here, yes, but there is actually an underlying plan.
Speaker 2: Also, don't forget to check out our other podcasts. We are going down to South Park and the one about Friends, as well as our exclusive podcast on our Patreon. We've got tales of Futurama, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Signfold already you did tales of Darama talking Seinfeld speaking of the heel. There's one more bobb Pods. Boz Pods is the other one. There's episodes of those various podcasts. Avail before Freeze to check them out in your feeds, and if you like what you hear, you get the rest of them on our Patreon. As I said, don't forget to hit that soubscribe button. Give us a thumbs up and comment blow tell us what you thought of this episode, whether you thought as much of a stinker as we did. If you're listening to us in podcast world, make sure you rate and review us on whatever app you are using to listen to us, where it'll be Apple Podcasts, Spotify. Check us five stars as well. We would really appreciate your support there. And if you can't support us on Patreon, if you do like everything we do here at the four figure discount network, you can support us for as little as just one single dollar per month. One single dollar we do all goes a long way to keeping the lights on here at four finger Discount. But this has been a review of four great women and a manicure. I am Dando, mister Davis, any final words For those incredible listener slash viewers.
Speaker 1: Out there, we hope you found this episode wonderfully. Pedestrian s