Speaker 1: It's seven o five here a fifty five caress and talks Dagen in a very happy seed day. Team try to make it so anyway, I admit to being a little bit down in the aftermath of all that violence we keep discussing in downtown Cincinnati by to talk about something slightly more uplifting, of course, way more uplifting. Welcome back to the fifty five Kroose Morning Show. I wish I could say Congressman Orlando Sonza maybe someday, but welcome back, Orlando. It's a pleasure to have you on the prayer and program. It's been a while since we've talked. How have you been lately, my friend, Orlando.
Speaker 2: Brian, my gosh, it has been a while, but always great to be on with you. We are doing well, doing well.
Speaker 1: Glad to hear that family all in good shape.
Speaker 2: We're gearing up for I think a wild and crazy season, but as the sonss like to say, we're always.
Speaker 1: Up for a challenge.
Speaker 2: So they are doing well and ready to go great.
Speaker 1: I wish you all the best and getting ready for school. I suppose with the kids real quick, Orlando, I don't want to throw a curveball out you put you on the spot, and I know you're here to talk about the Hamlin County Veterans Appreciation Day and parenthetically your appointment to the Civil Rights Division with the US Department of Justice under the Trump administration. Wonderful appointment and congratulations on that. We'll get to that in a moment. Can I just get your reactions to the violence on the twenty sixth of July and downtown Cincinnati, And if you were in elected capacity, you certainly would be put on the spot on that. I'm just curious to know what you have to say about it and what your reaction is and if you think there are any solutions that could solve what seems to be a broader societal breakdown problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brian, you know what. I first and foremost just want to say that it really has been honored to serve the Hamilton County Veterans over the past fifteen months, you know, and I'm incredibly grateful now for the opportunity to serve at the national level as counsel in the Civil Rights Division. Well, I can't discuss specifics, you know, of what's just been going on. I would just say that I remain committed to defending constitutional freedoms for all Americans, whether it's Cincinnati or across the country, and upholding our rules law. That's all I'll say at the moment.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, And your role as counselor for the Civil Rights Division, I'm working on case law litigation. What will you be taking on here, Orlando? Again?
Speaker 2: You know, the opportunity to focus on legal matters involving civil rights litigation. I mean, Brian, you can't get more tip of the spear than that, and helping implement the administration's legal priorities. So it will be litigation heavy and I'm excited to hit the ground running on day one.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope you get a good staff. You know, having been a litigation attorney for sixteen years, there's a lot of work that goes into that and evidence gathering and briefs and motion practice and all that. So you're up for the challenge. I am certain of that, and that's why the Trump administration turned you for that appointment. So congratulations from me, and by listening audience on the apploytment, we expect big things from you, Orlando, that's for damn sure.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: And as you're you're no longer in the role as head of the Hemon County Veterans Service Commission. I guess your last day was August thirteenth, if I read that correctly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so coming up next Wednesday would be my final day.
Speaker 1: That's right, final day next Wednesday. Glenn Welling, I suppose he's a commission member. He's going to be serving as the interim director. I guess the veterans are in good hands with Glenn Welling at the HELM after your absence.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean there's no better person I can think of to leave the transition and continue the incredible momentum that we've just seen. Brian. I mean, we went from an office of six full time employees trying to service thirty eight thousand veterans in Hamilton County and we've essentially tripled that. We're now eighteen strong of all veterans or dependent of veterans that are fully committed to serving the over thirty eight thousand veterans that we have in Hamilton County. So no better person to lead that than massa chief Glenn Welling, who currently serves as the executive director of the Xavier University, a Military and Veterans career center and so I'm just excited to see him take the helm and continue on the progress we've made and the transformation we've seen just over the last year plus.
Speaker 1: Wonderful news. Appreciate your optimism on that. And I guess I suppose as you depart the role, one of your final acts and duties is to coordinate this upcoming military our Hamilton County Military and Veterans Appreciation Day, which has taking place Saturday, August twenty third. And saw your point. Let's talk about this what's going on on that day? Orlando?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know no better I think thing to kind of cap off the work that we've just done and tried to do for Hamilton County veterans and their families, right then, a huge celebration, a community celebration to honor those that have served our country. You know, Brian, you know that my wife and I Jessica, we donned the uniform at one point, honored to have served. And I can't tell you how much we appreciated just in our time and service and out when the entire community gets together and just honors the sacrifice of our brave men and women that have wear the warned the uniform or are currently serving. And so we've got a huge military and Veterans Appreciation Day down at Sawyer Point coming up in two weeks August twenty third. It's a Saturday, two to ten pm. It's going to be an awesome time to just celebrate our military members and veterans in an extraordinary event open to the entire community. You do not have to be military to join in on the fund. And we've got you know, family fund zoned for kids that's just going to be Cincinnati Circus is going to be there, a rock wall display of military equipment and vehicles, and then free food for Hamilton County veterans and their family members. Food trucks are going to be out there, ConA ice truck's going to be out there. But you got to register. That's what we're trying to press is you've got to go onto our website that's HCVSC dot org hcvsc dot org to register so you can get your meal voucher and get your free food. We'll have live music and Brian I do want to highlight I think the most important thing about this event is a Veterans resource fare from PM on August twenty third, I mean, we're gonna have over eighty organizations representing all veterans service, whether it's employment, health and wellness, education, financial counseling, legal services. The VA is going to be out there answering your VA claims questions. So it's going to be awesome. And it's just a build off of what we did for our inaugural event last year when we had over two thousand, five hundred veterans at the ballpark show up for our inaugural Appreciation Day. So we're doing it again and we're gonna do it even bigger.
Speaker 1: Well, of course, we appreciate your service and your wife service to our country. You did allude to it. You appreciate the veterans, and you were active do you in your time and when you went into events like this and the community came out in support of veterans. It truly means a lot to the service members and the veterans when we do show or support you enjoy and appreciate that. And I'm happy that you did say that out loud, because I want to encourage people to come out and do that. You know, it's like police officers. When I see a police officer on the street, I thank them for their service to their community. You know, it's an easy thing to do, and you know, sometimes you get a really you know, happy reaction. Sometimes it's like a little you know, kind of like I appreciate it and then move on. But I mean, it's got to mean a lot to you to know that we do care and we were coming out and to pat you on the back in essence by our mere presence there.
Speaker 2: That's right. It's a thank you for your service. And we've seen it time and time again at the Veteran Service Commission, Brian, where someone will come in and say, you know, I'm not a veteran. You know I didn't deploy or you know, thank god I didn't get injured, and so I don't think I fit the death finished definition of veteran. No, no, you are a veteran. You raise your right hand. You swore to protect and defend this constitution. You wore the uniform, you were ready at moments notice to serve this great country. You are a veteran, and we are here to serve you, and we are here to say thank you for your service, no matter what era, no matter what branch of service. Although you know the just and I are army bias, right, Brian, Yes, it's one fight and we honor the service of all of our veterans.
Speaker 1: Well, the event begins at two pm and it lasts till ten PM. And I did see you do have musical entertainment going on during the day on addition to the food trucks and the eighty organizations for there, for the for the veterans, and career opportunities, et cetera, of the military equipment. But you have music, that's right.
Speaker 2: We got four cover bands that are that are gonna be awesome. They're going to be playing from two to eight pm, you know Varner Netherton Revival. We've got PM I never sent Price in the all star band the Menus, Zal Gonzalez and Stephen Cochrane. And then we're going to cap off the night with how else do you end a celebration, Brian, Nine to thirty pm. We're gonna have fireworks by Rossie Fireworks. Oh, it's gonna be an awesome event.
Speaker 1: Well, you see, I specifically asked you Orland about the musical acts because I know the Menus are a huge draw, and I know the lead singer, Tim Goldringer, he and I went to high school together, and he used to perform at my dad's Alzheimer's Memory facility when my dad was there, and my dad absolutely loved him. He is such a great entertainer. But the menus is a huge draw, so you're gonna get a lot of folks showing up for that and then saluting the veterans while they're there as well. Orlando Sonza, thank you for your work, your hard work and tireless work on behalf of the American veterans and your role with the Hamlin County Veteran Services Commission. Of course, congratulations again on your appointment to the Council for the Civil Rights Division. I'm looking forward to the work that you do for the Trump administration, and I thank you again for all that you've done for the veterans in your capacity at the Hamlin County Veterans Services It's HCV HCVSC dot org, HCVSSE. My veteran friends in the audience, make sure you register so you can get the free food and free parking and uh well, you'll also be eligible for door prizes by entering as well. Or Land to thank you again for your time and spending some time today this morning with my listeners and me.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, Brian, always a pleasure. Take care of my friend and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 1: Always here for you. Anything you got to talk about, you can feel free to speak your voice on the morning show, my friend. Good luck in d C too. You hope you're getting you get in combat. Pay for that.
Speaker 2: I wish, I wish. It's an honor to serve. I said, you got it, you got it.
Speaker 1: You are going to be serving. I don't envy you for having to live in the swamp, but I know you're going to do a great job. Take care, buddy. We'll talk again. Seven sixteen fifty five KARSD Talk stations. Think about that. Would you move to Washington, d C. That's a hard ask right there. Rhino Shield an outstanding product. Rhinoshield so cool. There was Rhino Shield twenty five year guarantee. It's not paint. It's better than paint. It's like ceramic coating and Rhino shield. You can put it on all kinds of surfaces like my daughter's barn, her and her fiance's bar. And it was in miserable shape. It was an awful you mustard yellow. It was flaking and peeling. I don't know the last time that thing's been painted. But you see, when you go with Rhino Shield, you never have to worry about painting again. Right, It's awesome. So it repels moisture, it repels UV light, it keeps the surface that it's painted on protected, breatheable design, it doesn't trap moisture, and eight to ten times thicker than paint. In addition to this ceramic nature of this coating, I'm reluctant to even call it pain. It's that thickness that also helped it last long. And they really do a wonderful job. Prep is critical for the Rhino Shield product to work, and they spend a lot lot of time prepping the service and then before they apply the rhinoshie. But you'll be glad they do it. Serving the whole Greater Cincinnati area. You can find them. Just call them five one eight five five seven four four sixty six oh five eight five five seven four four sixty six oh five. You get a free quote. Why not and just think about it, kickback and enjoy the color. There's like fifteen hundred colors that choose from