Speaker 1: With much ado about everything on this Friday, March seventh, Gary Jeff Walker in for Bill Cunningham on the Bill Cunningham Show. How you doing. We get right off to the races here with our first guests. We don't want Tim spending any more time than he has to with us this afternoon, but he's always kind enough, generous enough to give him give us some of his time. Entrepreneur, businessman, a former senatorial and gubernatorial candidate in the state of Ohio, former congressman, and now our pundit for the next few minutes. Jim or Nacy on the line. Jim, good afternoon. How are you doing today?
Speaker 2: Gary?
Speaker 1: How are you? You know what? Just surviving. I've got a little rant coming after we get done talking, but I'll save that. I'll save that for later. So I just wanted to ask you in the wake of the basically the jointed rest to the Joint Session of Congress that the President had on Tuesday night, which makes up in the first part of a term for a state of the Union, that's essentially what it is, and the Democrats' actions there, did you find them particularly surprising? I did not. This is exactly what I expected from the Democrats when President Trump spoke, well, yeah, I got.
Speaker 2: To admit I was a little bit shocked. If I was a Democrat, I would just sit there and be quiet in the sense that, you know, we have a lot of things going on right now. Let President Trump have his day, move forward, let's see what happens with the economy. Now's not the time to get in the middle of this. But of course they could not resist, couldn't help me, and they put the signs up, which was ridiculous. You know, the statement by Representative Green was ridiculous. All of this just shows that that, you know, it just makes for a circus. And by the way, for your listeners, we got to remember that just a year ago we had Marjorie Taylor Green and Bobert screaming and hollering at Biden. This is not what the state of the Union is supposed to be. It's supposed to be where the House and the Senate sit there and whoever the president is, give them the courtesy of speaking without without These outbursts that are that occur have definitely been occurring over the last few years.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the first time anyone has ever been removed from a from a presidential address to a joint session of Congress or a State of the Union address with al Green being escorted off the floor unceremoniously and then the ensuing censure. You're right about Lauren Bobert and Marjorie Taylor Green last year. I remember the yelling at Joe Biden. Maybe they were just yelling because maybe you had our time hearing. I'm not sure, but you're right. Let's be fair about that. I want to know if you think, just as an observer of the last twenty five years or so in American politics, because they are all these pundits saying that the Democrat Democrat Party has lost, they have no leadership, and they're rudderless, and it looks like they may lose the mid terms, and that's you know, that's long ways off, and a lot can happen between now and then. But isn't it a lot the way the Democrat the Republican Party was in two thousand and eight after the crash and President Obama was elected and had a so called mandate for the Democrats, and people were saying that the Republican Party doesn't have any leadership, don't know, they may not survive I remember hearing the same kind of talk then as I'm hearing about Democrats now, you remember that that way as well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And by the way, it happened in twenty twelve as well, when I was serving in Congress and Republicans allowed the government to shut down and people were saying, the Republican Party has no leadership, Republican Party has lost. So it played out again in twenty twelve, and we had to rebuild ourselves pretty quickly back. You know, the Democrats were going to say that about them. But the problem is, politics is a day to day change, a thirty day I always tell people, you can talk about who's running for governor in twenty twenty six or who's running for Senate in twenty twenty six today, but none of that matters because there'll be so many things occur between now and November twenty twenty six that politics is really a thirty day game. And it'll be interesting to see what happens in the next thirty days. If all of a sudden, tariffs cause the economy to start to creator and we start to have problems, you know, then the American people and Democrats will come out and say, ah, the Republicans don't a true leader. It'll go back and forth until the election day and this is just politics.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and it's been quite a wild ride for the first forty five days of Trump's second term, to say the least. But a lot has been accomplished, and a lot of what he campaigned on is getting done, or at least there's motivation, you know, moving towards that direction for President Trump's agenda. You're talking about that thirty day kind of game and how it shifts back and forth. But the first forty five days have been pretty impressive to most of the American people because all of the approval polling is talking about the president being above fifty percent overall, but seventy six percent according to a CBS poll approved of the address on Tuesday night. Sixty nine percent approve of what President Trump has been doing to this point. And you're right about the economy and the tariffs and all the uncertainty there. Markets don't like uncertainty, obviously, they tend to be very knee jerk. In a lot less a frame of time than you know, thirty days. From week to week, the markets can be volatile depending on what happens but I also think that, like I said, we've got a head start here on a lot of the Trump agenda that he campaigned on, and I think people are seeing that. Tell me, if you think that people the main reason it's been so positive so far among the majority of Americans is because he has been fulfilling things that he said he was going to do in the campaign trail.
Speaker 2: Well, a great thing about President Trump is he's definitely he's definitely opening up people's eyes. Now again, it's not that people didn't know that before, whether was the Grace Report by Reagan, whether it was the Rand Paul Report showing all this waste and abuse, and people probably don't realize that even in twenty seventeen or eighteen, President Trump attempted to cut spending in the government and that got pushed back because of the Empowerment Act back then.
Speaker 1: Too. Well, people forget, too, Jim, that Bill Clinton fired three hundred and seventy seven thousand federal employees when he was president exactly.
Speaker 2: So this has all been done before. But what people don't realize is President Trump is moving at a pace, but the Congress isn't moving with him. So what I've been trying to tell people is next week, you're going to see the Congress path a continuing resolution. And here's what people have to understand. That continuing resolution is going to say, federal government, we're going to allow you to continue to spend what you are spending. It is not going to be cutting the DOGE cuts. So even though the President is saying, hey, there's waste, there's abuse, even though you know on Musket's finding waste abuse, we're gonna we're going to pass another CR next week and keep the government open, and we're gonna tell we're going to tell people in the CR that we're going to allow spending to occur until the end of September. So you almost have to look at what's being presented and what's actually being done. Those DOGE cuts aren't getting into the system, and that's a problem, and that and and now you see not the legislature, but but you see the judicial system stepping in and saying, wait a minute, uh, President Trump, you don't have the authority to make those cuts. So we're now starting to get into this big circle that causes the problems and why the federal government doesn't work very well.
Speaker 1: Well, this is you know, the Supreme Court rule five to four, which shocked a lot of people that they could not up the two billion dollars in usaid payments from going out that were signed before January twentieth, And I was telling somebody else who asked me about it, I said, well, I mean, the contracts were signed before Trump was president, so they're legal contracts, so they probably have to be honored as much as we don't like that. But that was only one particular case. Jim in the case of him being able to fire federal employees under the executive branch, Scotus is not ruled on that yet, and I believe they will rule in his favor, and I believe that he will have the power that an executive has, just like a CEO of any company. Just like you in one of your companies, you have the power to fire and hire whomever you want to if they're under you. Correct.
Speaker 2: No, I do agree with that, but I think it's going to be an interesting ride because I do think what's going to happen. Remember past presidents have tried this. Nixon tried to cut spending and cut personnel. That's why the Impoundment Act came and said no, you can't do that. But there are also other mechanisms that can be used. There's a mechanism that Congress can actually vote. The President can ask for cuts to be made, and Congress can vote with just a simple majority of recision. It's called the Recision Act to cut this. I think if it's done right, these things will occur. I think if it's done wrong that the president will have some bumps in the road. But I do think it can be done. But let's not forget. Next week you're going to see Congress approve a cr that says, whatever spending is out there, we approve to continue until the end of September, and they're not going to take into consideration all those dose cuts.
Speaker 1: There's a big reason that Congress, both the House and the Senate have such low approval ratings in public pool, public poll after public poll, and not just Democrats, but Congress as a whole. And that's why this continual kicking the can down the road and maintaining the establishment. And it absolutely to me as a taxpayer, as a citizen, as someone who believes in our constitution and understands that these people work for us, not the other way around, that this nonsense has to stop, and it has to stop at the district level. Do you agree or not agree with that?
Speaker 2: I do agree. And here's the problem that members of Congress have. Look, I was one of those people. One of the reasons I left Congress. I was sick and tired. I was on a budget committee and I pushed for billions of dollars of cuts, and I could not get it approved because what happens is those cuts affect a district and they'll say, hey, I'm okay with cuts, but those cuts are proposing affecting my district and I can't assume that. So the big problem we have is that right there, district by district, they look at where these cuts affect them and they say, time out, I can't support that. And when you only have a two seat majority in the House of Representatives, going to be very difficult to cut things because there's always going to be a couple members of the House or Senate that say, wait a minute, I can't go along with that.
Speaker 1: Nimby, not in my backyard. That's a human nature kind of thing, Jim, And sadly, for someone to get serious about it, they're going to have to be willing to not be re elected. I think that's as plain and simple and harsh as it gets, don't you.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what's interesting, And I'm glad you said that. I mean, every vote I took, I didn't care if I was reelected or not. I did it for the right reasons. I never voted for a CR because I didn't believe in them. I didn't vote. I remember one time I had the entire Republican Congress vote for something and I didn't, and I said, I don't care. That's bad for Ohio, that's bad for America. I'm not going along with it. And you're right if you don't fear, if everybody does what's best for the country and doesn't fear being reelected, they'll actually be re elected, because that's what people want to see.
Speaker 1: Isn't pretty much what's good for the country going to be ultimately good for your district.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it isn't. I mean, I must admit. I mean I had sixteen hundred jobs in my district or related to one bill, and I of course had to vote against it. Even though you know there was some there was some good reason from a national perspective to vote for it. I mean, there are little things you got to do, but you're right. The majority of time, what's good for the country is going to be good for your district.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jim or Nacy, thank you so much for your time. It's been good for me. I hope it was good for you.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All Right, you too, Gary jeff In for Willy on the Bill Cunningham Show. Back in just a moment, all right. Continuing on this Friday, solving the problems one of the world, one interview at a time. Gary jeff In for Willy on the Bill Cunningham Show, seven out of WLW eating this delicious Leers Prime Market meets what is it fish sandwich on this first day of Lent, and it's absolutely delicious. More on that as we continue right now. A conversation with a lady that I really enjoy talking to. She is the CEO of Patriot Mobile, which is the nation's only Christian communication system or cell phone provider. I'm sure there are Christians at T Mobile and Verizon, although sometimes in dealing with those folks, it's hard to believe. Lee Walms Guns joins us now on the line to talk about the US Ukraine, the Democrats and their reaction to the p residents addressed to the Joint State of the Union or Joint Address to Congress this past week, and more, the pink ladies, the signs, and all the rest. Lee, good afternoon, and welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: How are you hey, I'm great, Gary, Jeff. It's Friday, and it's a good day.
Speaker 1: Yes it is. Indeed, Like I said, just devouring this delicious fish sandwich in between chats.
Speaker 3: You're making me hungry.
Speaker 1: Good stuff, man, The rye bread has got some cheese and all the all the accouterment, including some hushpuppies. So, first off, on the continuing back and forth with Vlodomar Zelenski and President Trump and this deal and Vladimir Putin trying to get peace in Ukraine. Where we are today is well, not really much further than we were when they threw Zelenski out of the Oval Office or out of the White House a we could go. There has been some movement, and he has, of course, as the President read the letter that he received from Zelensky on Tuesday night, said that Zelensky is ready to come to the table and talk and sign the mineral deal. And YadA YadA, yah. It's strange how that happened right after the President announced that we were cutting off aid to Ukraine. But where do you think we are with it now? And will this deal get done? And is Vladimir Putin going to comply?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, Trump is the master of the art of the deal. He knows economic partnerships, keep the peace. And you know, I think Zelensky was acted like a self serving fool to behave the way he did in the White House, and he earned that swift eviction. The truth is in this issue. Russia and Ukraine have a quite complex history that dates back over a thousand years, and it's really a fascinating historical topic I've just really started to study and learn about.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 3: Many Americans are forming opinions without knowing anything about this vast history or the current situations. I think most people in America are viewing this situation either from a pro Trump lens or an anti Trump lens, and they aren't really digging in and looking at some of the details. There's a lot of truth that Russia is losing tactically, but that Ukraine is losing strategically, meaning no one is winning and while Russia can replace soldiers, frankly, Ukraine can't. And they know they can't sustain the long game, and they know they need America. I saw a post that was a pretty poignant that said, a lot of the support for Ukraine is coming from people who would never send their own sons to fight. And that's something we need to think about. And listen to your name calling and all of that. Listen Putin as a dictator. We all know that. But Zelensky, before this invasion, Ukraine was known as a hot of corruption. Before this war, he's canceled elections. He knows also if this war ends, an election happens, he knows he's going to be out when that happens. And is he really trying to help his people or just trying to appear like he's helping his people to stay in power. And you've got the other side of Americans in general, who are just disgusted with billions of our tax dollars going overseas while hardworking Americans federal income taxes are killing their household budgets.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, if we sign a deal, I think part of the deal should be Trump sends Elon Musk over to Ukraine and do a doze on where all of our money went once we send it over with the blank check three hundred and fifty some billion and more on the way I mean Trump in his first term. President Trump in his first term gave Ukraine weaponry javelins to help you in the aftermaths of what happened in CRIMEA putin did not invade. But I would really like, in fact, you know, while we're taking the scalpel to money that we have given our federal government for all kinds of weird just strange things that we're finding out more and more every day, I'd like to find out where Zelenski has utilized three hundred and fifty billion dollars since he can't account for it, since he doesn't know where the money went.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a lot of reports of it being funneled back and going to Democrat lawmakers, and Americans are sick and tired of you know, the swamp in DC throwing our money around like it's candy to garner favor for personal business deals all over the world.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, until they closed here, Coney Island sometimes was called, which was an amusement park of America's largest recirculating toilet. I think that's what's going on with Ukraine and this money. I have proposed that probably about eighty to ninety percent a foreign aid. It's not like we're not generous and we don't want to help people in corners of the world that need our help, and out of our abundance we can do that. The last time I checked our debt clock, we don't have much abundance anymore in this country. But here's the thing. Most of it, I believe is simply money laundering. And this is a mob tactic that's being used by people in places of power in our government with our money, and it just it has to all end. Lee, it has to stop.
Speaker 3: It's really just such an insanity and why people think this can continue. I mean it's continued for decades past a sustainable point. And I think you have the best idea, you know, sick that Elon musk Doze group on this foreign a to make sure it's going where it's supposed to go, because.
Speaker 5: We know it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Well, you want to hear some howling from democrats and warhawks and neels, let that happen. And you think that what we've seen as a reaction to doze in the US is bad because there were all kinds of things that can be uncovered. What about all the money that hunter Biden was paid with no experience in Barisma or an energy at all, and he's a special consultant and the price tag basically was what eight million dollars over a period of time, he was getting like eighty three thousand dollars a month to be an energy expert with this company owned by Ukrainian oligarchs, and obviously to buy favor with his dad who was then the vice president. That's why hunter Biden was pardoned. But dating back to twenty fourteen, so I mean Ukraine, as you mentioned at the top, has been a hotbed of corruption for years. Zelenski, who was elected originally as someone to clear up the corruption, has just continued it. And we're seeing that now with our money being wasted under the name of you know, propping up a military to face the great dictator, Vladimir Putin. And I think we've all been sold a bill of goods lee right.
Speaker 3: And you know, again, Trump is all about negotiation. He knows he values peace, but he also values getting something for our money. And I see The only solution here is for you know, Zelenski to eat some humble pie, come back to the table and allow US businesses to mine and refine those rare earth minerals that they are rich in, to give America something to protect. And it would it would create a red line for Russia to avoid. You know, the world is not used to us demanding something for the money we're given, and it's a well pastime for us to do that. And God bless President Trump for requiring it.
Speaker 1: You think, Vladimir will we're a suit this time?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know. Would that would certainly be a symbolism, wouldn't it.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the pink suits of the politicians in protest on Tuesday night, the pink ladies as it were, and the ridiculous paddles. What did you think of all that?
Speaker 3: So the pink suits were so ironic in that the Democrat Party is trying to make women disappear in our society by giving Women of the Year awards to men and gold medals to men, and wanting men to create injure, injure women in sports and create this false sense of reality. And those little silly signs. Their pink suits just exacerbated that and their little silly signs. Listen, I've done politics for thirty four years. You don't hold up signs. The reason is because anything can be edited and put over it. The Democrats have created quite a wealth of meme entertainment for the right with those signs, with what's going around social media.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially now with AI, that's an instant meme right there. Gutfeld was using the paddles the next night on his show to poke fun at them. Did you see the female fighters, the Democrat fighters, the video that was posted on social media where these people who obviously don't know boxing or martial arts are trying to pretend like they're a fighter to fight and resist Donald Trump. Did you see that ridiculousness?
Speaker 3: I did not see that video, but I think any Republicans I have to look that up. But I think the women saying they're fighting for women, and they're standing with men taking over women's sports, and they're standing with women getting killed in the womb. It is really just nonsensical.
Speaker 1: So speaking of women and protecting women, especially in the arena of sports, and not allowing biological males or boys to play against girls or men against women like we have seen. The answer from the other side is, well, it doesn't happen often enough to legislate or to you know, do any kind of bill on this. I mean, what is it four out of five thousand or whatever the numbers are. If it's one, it's one too many in my opinion. And because and because you're not allowing this unfair disparity of someone who is biologically stronger and more fit, not by nature that these women are slouches, are not good athletes. That's not it at all. And it doesn't mean that you're against someone who thinks that there's something else that they're not. I mean, it doesn't mean your anti trans to be anti this, because this is anti fairness and competition. It's a total violation of Title nine, which was supposed to protect women in athletics and give them a same footing and same money available from you know, from the sources where it came from. That's what Title nine was all about. It was about protecting women. And Joe Biden and his crew, influenced by all these far left radicals, tried to change Title nine to include trans men or trans women in women's sports. This is nonsense. This is this is so anti woman just on the face of it. And like I said, if it's just Leah Thomas and a pole vaulter and a volleyball player, it doesn't matter. That's three too many in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the whole Title nine Biden disaster was completely unconstitutional. The nineteen seventy two Title nine protections were put in place, as you said, to forbid discrimination based on sex and education and athletics. And the provision makes it clear that no person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in or denied those benefits. The April nineteenth, twenty twenty four Biden expansion of Title nine tried to redefine sex to include gender identity. And it was Biden's weaponization of Department of Education for civil rights against female K through twelve and university students. Not only did that also violate those kids, in violated teachers First Amendment rights in regard to forced and compelled speech, forcing pronoun usage, and endangered students and women in locker rooms and restrooms. And it's really I mean, you think about it, You think about these hard working female athletes that have worked all their lives for college scholarship or to go into the professional sports world and to be told, well, I'm just going to smack you in the face because even though you've dedicated a lifetime to your sport, because now I'm bringing men in. It was a smack in the face to women, and at that back tired on, it.
Speaker 1: Was literally a smack in the face. In the case of the volleyball player, I mean she was permanently disabled because she was on the court with a man. I don't care if I don't think. I don't care if you think you're a woman, or you feel like God puts you in the wrong body, which by the way, didn't happen. You're still a man, no no matter what you call yourself, no matter how many hormones you take, no matter what surgeries you have, XX and x Y tells the story. And if you're not there at a chromosomeal level, I'm sorry you're not the sex you say you are. And again to state that doesn't make me anti trans or homophobic or any of the other slurs the other side, the radical side, will sling at me. I mean, this is this is let me trust we do.
Speaker 3: They say trust the science when it's the science of their convenience. The science is males have denser bone masks, males have more muscle masks. The science is a chromosoonal biological fact that can't be changed by someone's imaginary world. And I'll tell you one of my favorites, okay, lines from Trump's speech the other night, when he sent our message to every child in America is that you are perfect, exactly the way God made you.
Speaker 1: I loved it. I loved his acknowledgment of Almighty God. And I don't I don't think he was using that at all. I think that he finally has been convinced of that that God saved him for this purpose, for this time, and no matter. See this should be a lesson to us, the rest of us sinners every day in our lifely that if God will use someone who was obviously a flawed human being, like anybody else, like Donald Trump, in such a major way to bring his will to four, then he can use any of us, no matter how, no matter how dirty or smelly we are.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, there's hundreds of stories of people that God have used, God has used in that way throughout the Bible, you know, I mean if we were if anyone was perfect, I'm a Christian, if anyone was perfect, we wouldn't have needed Jesus Christ to die on that cross for us. None of us are perfect. God can use any of us, and God has created all of us in uniquely wonderful ways. It is a beautiful, diverse world out there, and God created it that way. And Trump was right. Every child in America and in the world. God created us for his perfect purpose.
Speaker 1: Lee Wamsgan's any way that people can reach out and find out more.
Speaker 3: About you, absolutely, then go to Patriotmobile dot com and find us. I work for Patriot Mobile and we are America's only Christian conservative wireless provider or on all the three major networks, and we give a portion of every dollar that we earn to work for people on the frontlines working to keep America free. So we'd love to have you as a part of the Patriot Mobile family.
Speaker 1: All right, Lee Walmsgance, thank you so much for taking some time on this Friday. You have a wonderful weekend and we move on again solving the world one interview at a time. Coming up next on Israel and Hamas, and yes, the protests on our shores have geared up again in some familiar places. People are being not only blocked, but in some cases assaulted just for being Jewish in this country. That cannot be allowed to happen. And I don't think it's going to have the kind of shelf life it did under Joe Biden. That's just I thought. Ury Kaufman on that and more when we continue on The Bill Cunningham Show, Gary Jeffan for Willy on seven hundred WLW A Friday afternoon, March the seventh, twenty twenty five. Gary Jeff Walker in for Willy on The Bill Cunningham Show. During the break, producer Dave Keaton explaining to me what LARPing is. He said, LARPing and brought up the fact that the guy in cole Raine Township who threw the axe at officers and paid for it with his life, as the prosecutor said that the officers were not in the wrong, the body cam showed that there was no other option but to use deadly force in that case. But a LARPing is apparently medieval re enactments with weaponry and armor, and oh my god, find a Renfest near you leave me alone, leave me out of the LARPing. We are again seeing the protests on college campuses in some of the old familiar places, Columbia University, particularly Bernard College, which I guess is a part of that complex in downtown New York. The pro Hamas pro Palestinian, anti Israel protests are back. They're taking over buildings again. There have been some arrests made, but will anybody stay in jail for de facto deprivation of the rights of Jewish students who attend those colleges, Blocked from going into a library and other assaults happening now along with the massed up protest to talk about that and why the left loves Hamas and hates Israel or the other way around. In fact, his book is entitled American Intafada, How the Left lean to learn to hate Israel and love Hamas. He is a historian and he's done many works in the past on Israel and the Middle East. Uri Kaufman joins us for the next few minutes. Uri A good afternoon. Welcome to the Bill Cunningham Show. The book Anti American Intifada. They are actually shouting into fada which is Holy war right now on the streets of New York City, at Columbia and Bernard College and other places around the country. Is there a reason for this psychosis?
Speaker 5: Oh, absolutely, there's a reason.
Speaker 1: It's real simple.
Speaker 5: In fact, I went up to Columbia myself to watch it last year and they were chanting two four six eight. Israel is a racist state. And that's really when you begin to understand what this is really all about. Let's engage in a thought experiment. Let's assume the October seven attackers were white supremacists.
Speaker 1: Not people of color.
Speaker 5: Do you really think they'd be protesting. What we're really seeing is a situation where kids today, and I have to say a lot of the professors that are indoctrinating them, they judge people by the color of their skin, not the content of their character. That's really what this is all about. It's people of color attacking not just white people, but Jews, who, in the minds of progressives are a white group of privilege. So you got the people of color in one corner and the white group of privilege in the other. They're back in the people of color because that's just the way they're wired. The problem of course, is the facts don't even remotely justify it. But then you get into something that psychologists call cognitive dissonance when people have deeply held beliefs and then facts appear that contradict the beliefs. People change the facts, they don't change the beliefs. And it's not just college kids and they're indoctrinating professors that do it. It's very senior people as well, like for example, Barack Obama, Jimmy Carter, many many others on the left.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of cases, and we found this last year with the anti Israel protests on college campuses. In many cases they weren't students at all, and they certainly weren't being funded by college students or maybe college professors. They were being funded by Soros type haters of Jews. The tents and everything else we saw that were just and the signs that were ready to go. This was not a grassroots movement of campus radicals. They used those people, but that's not where it emanated from, did it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's a whole cottage industry out there, and it crisscrosses through so many different areas. I'll give you one perfect example. Amnesty International. Their annual budget is like four hundred and forty two million dollars something like that. Human Rights Watch, which was funded by George Soros. They got like one hundred million dollars from him, and it's all the same basic idea AMSTY International. I went on their website and went to their search bar and I typed in the word rape and there were I think it was something like two thousand, six hundred and thirty two two hits. And I started scrolling. There was rape and Rwanda, there was rape and dark work, rape in every corner of planet Earth. Just one rape they didn't bother to talk about, which was the comas rape of Israeli women, and I thought, well, that can't be So I went back and I typed in a comas rape and one entry came up. It was a Palestinian woman who claimed in Israeli threatened her with rape, which of course was never substantiated. That's when you understand what's going on here. It's nothing but a propaganda arm of the left. It's a propaganda arm of the most left leaning groups in the European Union. They fund a lot of this stuff, and sadly it's just become a cottage industry all by itself. But I guess said, if I may just make one point, President Trump is finally putting a stop to it. The biggest one of the so called NGOs they called non government organizations, the biggest one in Israel is called the New Israel Fund. Pretty innocent sounding name, but they've been putting out left wing propaganda for years. President Trump said if they don't stop, the funding is going to be cut off immediately. And so now they're backtracking and trying to figure out a way to continue to do what they do, but without frankly running a fowl and disseminating propaganda. So thank you, President Trump.
Speaker 1: You're a fan of President Trump's Gaza policy, no reconstruction until Hamas is out, and the United States doing whatever we can, even though he wants the other countries directly affected in the Middle East to join in in rebuilding Gaza. There's absolutely no reason to me outside of how many hostages are left do they claim to have Hamas claims to have been holding at this point in god So.
Speaker 5: The current number now is fifty nine hostages, of whom thirty five have been declared dead. We know that, unfortunately from forensic evidence people have combat twenty four up to twenty four are thought to be allied, and one of them is an American citizen. Aidon Alexander as American as you or me. I know, if I or you know a family member of mine were God forbid in captivity, I want my American president working to free me. What we saw from Biden and Kamala was the opposite. They forced Israel to do what no country has been forced to do in the history of the world, supply their enemies in the middle of a war. They could have just conditioned it on at least three the Americans. There were eight live Americans held when they started the policy. We're boun to just one. Sadly, most famously, Hirsch Gilbert Poland, an American citizen, was murdered in captivity. I like to think he could have been saved. So, you know, again, kudos to President Trump. And again, just going back to Biden and Kamala, they budgeted billions of dollars to rebuild Gaza, even though Hamas said they would never live in peace, and President Trump had said, no, no, no, it's the other way around. If first you agree to live in peace and then we rebuild Gaza, That's the way it would be anywhere else on planet Earth. And now again, let's just go back to my first If the people of Gaza were white supremacists, white South Africans Germans of another era, do you really think the Democrats would budget billions of dollars to rebuild for the innocent, white supremacist, innocent civilians without them being willing to live in peace. Of course they would, But since it's people of color attacking a white group of privilege, suddenly it all gets scrambled in their minds, and so we have this weird situation where they're judging people by the color of their skin and not the content.
Speaker 1: Of their character. Well, Uria, as you know, and most people know, at least people who want to know, the so called Palestinians were just refugees from other Middle Eastern countries, Arabs that they didn't want in their country. There's no Palestinian culture of the so far, the Palestinian culture that we have sent has been a cult of death and hate for Israel. There's no Palestinian language. I think that they get way way too much credit for being a people when they're basically Arabs. Who've been rejected by the rest of the Arab world, and now President Trump is asking these countries like Jordan and Syria to take them back while Gaza is rebuilt. And I don't know, it just seems like it's pretty obvious who the bad guys are here. American Inefada, How the Left Learn to Hate Israel and Love Hamas is the book the authors Uri Kaufman our guest today, and thank you so much for your time, great insights, Uri.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: All right, Mark Mix, Right to Work Mark Mix coming up next on the Bill Cunningham Show. The National Right to Work Foundation is a fantastic resource for people employees who feel like they've been taken advantage of by unions. And we have a victory to announce today. We're doing a little lap victory against the UFCW and Croger for Fairfield resident James Carroll. This has been an ongoing thing. They signed to illegal. He was forced to sign the illegal documents, double dues documents and paid these dues when he insisted he did not want to do that by Kroger. In the UFCW Local seventy five, Mark Mix discusses this today, Mark, how are you well, I'm doing fine.
Speaker 4: Good to be on with you again. And yeah, it's good to take a lap on a victory like this because oftentimes individual employees, first of all, don't understand the rights that they may have under the National Relations Act and under Supreme Court decisions like this case. But it's good to be able to reach out and help them and get a good decision like this where Kroger has to reimburse the money that they illegally took from his paycheck and the union has to post and notice that they're not going to do this again and misrepresent things to employees that they claim to represent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I found out that Kroger was a union shop. I ever knew that until I moved here to this area, and I said, wow, I don't know if I really really want to patronize them or not. But again, they're ubiquitous. They're everywhere here. As you know, Cincinnati is the headquarters Kroger. So to avoid prosecution, though, Kroger and United Food Workers with a UFCW agreed to a settlement that, as you mentioned, requires them to reimburse mister Carroll for unlawfully seized dues. And post a public notice in forming employees of their rights. No, Mark, when I talk every in fact, almost every time I have you on, they'll be at least one person who was a staunch union supporter, a union member, who will come up to me and say, Man, those people are a bunch of crooks at right to work, and you know they're behind their union one hundred percent. When the union in fact does utilize and not all of them, and not all of them are guilty, not all of them get sued, right, Mark. But here's the thing. They utilize, really what you would call mob tactics sometimes to bolster their union membership, don't.
Speaker 4: They Well here, Jeff, Yeah, that's right. We don't have any problem with anyone that wants to be a part of a union, wants to associate with the union, wants to give their entire paycheck to a union if they choose to do that. What we can't contemplate and what we don't understand, and what many union officials take advantage of, is their ability to compel people. One to force them to associate with the union they never wanted, never asked for, and never voted for. And then two to add insult to injury in states that don't have right to work loss like Ohio, to force workers to pay does or fees in order to get or keep their job. And then when you add this extra layer where they know when a person comes in to apply for a job and needs a job and wants to get a job, he's confronted with a wave of paper work that comes in. And some of this paperwork says, oh, by the way, you agree to be a member of the union, you agree to pay union dues, you agree to aduce checkoff scheme, whereas the money will be taken out of your paycheck before you see it, and yeah, you'll live happily ever after. Well, some people look at that, and they look at what this union for, you know, the United Food and Commercial Workers or the UAW or the Teamsters union does with the money that they're required to pay as a condition of their employment, on political and ideological causes or just flat out corruption inside the union, And they say, I don't want any part of that. Well, according to the paperwork that you signed, you know, we ask you to check box A check box B, you know, all of these things, and it gets confusing, and then they find out that you know if they don't pay those dues or they don't sign this card, that somehow their employment is at stake. And those are really high stakes for a lot of people. And so what we do is come alongside those folks that have this objection and simply help them exercise the limited rights they do have, just like in this case. And frankly, those people that compy on the street their union, God bless them. They're making a decision to support an organization that they believe represents them in a way that's favorable to them. That's great stuff, and that's how we operate. But we will not contemplate the idea that someone loses their job simply because they're not paying a private organization for the right to work.
Speaker 1: The state where I live, Commonwealth of Kentucky, is a right to work state. How many right to work states do we have in the Union.
Speaker 4: Now, Mark, Yeah, there's twenty six carried Jeff. And it's interesting this story continues because this guy got a transfer to Kentucky where he can use the protection of Kentucky's right to work law and say, you know what, I'm not going to pay you anything because that's what the law says. In Kentucky as a right to work state.
Speaker 1: Hallelujah. Listen, you are not anti union. And that's the other thing I hear is that right to work and in right to work states, the unions are the workers are abused. They're taking advantage of I hear it all the time, all of the same propaganda and rhetoric that comes from the unions in the union stewards, but not necessarily from the rank and file.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exactly right. And the disconnect between the union officials or the union bosses, if you will, and the rank and file workers growing wider and wider all the time. And we saw that really as a case study in the elections in November. I mean, you know, the United Auto Workers union and other union officials across the country were calling Trump a scab and a con man and spent literally tens of millions of dollars on Kamala Harris's campaign. In fact, just recently data came out from Open Secrets that said unions direct contributions to presidential campaigns. And this doesn't this doesn't qualify all of their donations for politics, because they do billions of dollars in political work, but they in a ratio of two hundred and ten dollars to every one dollar. Two hundred and ten dollars of the union direct contributions went to Kamala Harris, one hundred one dollar went to Donald Trump, to the tune of sixty million versus two hundred and forty eight thousand dollars. But yet rank and file workers in the private sector voted over for Donald Trump for president.
Speaker 1: Yep, and he is our president. And again that's the second Hallelujah in one interview. Not bad for ten minutes. Listen, Mark Nix, keep us abreast of more developments, and we will talk again. I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Thanks Jarre, Jeff, appreciate you paying attention to this stuff.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the opportunity, got national right to work. Mark Mix on the Bill Cunningham Show, seg just walking in right now. We have a special guest who will pop up about two oh five. His name is coach Charlie Coleman. We may bring him in at the tail end of this stuge report, which is next. It's one thirty. This is the Bill Cunningham Show on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: It's not about him, it's not about me. I'd be a winner not really.
Speaker 7: I Lincoln Riley, an innocent young woman who was killed by and illegal.
Speaker 1: That's right, But how.
Speaker 6: Many of thousands of people being killed by legals? To her parents, I say, my heart goes out to you. Having lost children myself, I understand.
Speaker 1: Oh hello, bye, I'm broadcasting. Well, that was the weirdest opening to a Stooge report. I think I've ever heard. Seg you got that right. I mean, the one thing it does is remind us that Joe Biden is actually still alive. None of us knew that before. Now that's true.
Speaker 8: You're Right's somewhere in California, Gary, Jeffy Stooge Report is a proud service of your local Tame Star Heating and air conditioning dealers Temestar quality you could feel in Cincinnati Hallway Homing Air one eight nine n h V A C. But we also want to thank Lears Prime Market hoarset Letton season is underway Fridays. They got that hot and crispy fish sandwiches, homemade tartar sauce, hush puppies, homemade fries.
Speaker 1: Just go there and eat it was in leave. You know what. There are a lot of great fish sandwiches out there, especially now everybody is so proud of their spectacular for the new number one after having that today, Amen to that. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 8: Deluxe Deli there located in beautiful downtown Milford, Lears Prime always a cut above Gary Jeffy.
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 8: Bengals update brought to you by Good Spirits and Party Town, best bourbon selection anywhere. Bengals today signing tight end Tanner Hudson to a one year contract extension. There is a report the Bengals are seeking a late second round or early third round pick and if possible d with for defensive end Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 1: What yep? What they're gonna get rid of the NFL SAX Leader Defensive Player of the Year on any other team.
Speaker 8: He received permission yesterday to get a trade. And I can't remember the last time the Bengals ever did that to any player. Maybe Carson Palmer, I don't know, So Carlos Dunlap perhaps, Okay, there you go.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 8: Red's Update brought to you by Party Town in Florence, a Tri States one stop shop for all party supplies. Red's announced at Hunter Green will be the opening day starter Thursday, March twenty seventh against the Giants, Red's Hall of Famer Chris Sabo. It's going to be the Finley Market Opening Day parade at Grand Marshall NASCAR driver and Fox broadcaster Michael Waltrip to two time Daytona five hundred winner. It's going to be an honorary Grand Marshal for the event. Of course, August second, the Reds and Brays will meet in a speedway Classic at Bristol Motors Speedway in Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Who was the boogety boogety boogety guy? Is his brother Darryl Boogety boogady boogety correct? Yeah?
Speaker 8: And then the Reds take on the Giants today two thirty five with the RNL carriers inside pitch coming up. They also announced today the street where the Finley Market parade begins. Yes, and a bench at Finley Market will be named for the living for the legend Jim Scott.
Speaker 1: Who's no longer with us but always will be with us and in our hearty ways and in that, in that in that bench area and in the street. Correct, in the market.
Speaker 8: Let's see college basketball tonight ball State in Miami. Dayton meets VCU tomorrow, Cincinnati Bearcats in Oklahoma State two on seven hundred WLW Xavier looks for win number seven in a row. They close out the regular season versus Providence at three thirty and fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: When did the conference tournament start next week? Bearcats and the musket next week and next week? Correct? And we don't know when or where yet to be determined? Correct? All right?
Speaker 8: MLS Soccer Toronto FC in town tomorrow night. The battle are Orange and Blue FC Cincinnati at TQL Stadium, seven o'clock on ESPN fifteen thirty. Now Yes, e c HL Hockey Tonight, Wichitas in town to meet the Cyclones. But they've announced they're changing their name for tonight's game.
Speaker 1: Who was changing their name? The Cyclones? What are they changing their name to?
Speaker 8: Cencinnati Steins in honor of the Cincinnati's German heritage and second largest october Fest in the world. They're going to have special hockey jerseys for tonight. They got the leader housing look and everything else on their jersey.
Speaker 1: They ought to have steins. They like huge heavy beer steins that they do. Maybe they will. Wouldn't that be fun? Go to the game and see then you could after every goal you throw your beer stein onto the eyes. Jesus, start at the crisis, hitting officials. That's all you imagine that. No, no, Teddy Bears are enough. But the they do a lot of promotions, Yes they do with the style, Yes they do. Uh, just to get anybody in the doors, you know, and they'll don't do a good job. They'll have one or two thousand or whatever. Probably probably a good crowd. I know, we're we're the home of you see sports, basketball and football. I understand, But what was I saw the story again this morning where you see threatened legal action if a middle school in Tennessee didn't change their name from the bear Cats. Apparently xavior head a little handed at two. But no, you see started it. You see Gott Xavier involved. It's a crosstown shootout of team name and mascots. Now because this this this little middle school team in Cheatham County, Tennessee, is now the Musketeers. They were the Bearcats. So I understand, I don't understand what how how the UC University of Cincinnati was threatened by a middle school in Middle Tennessee by using the name Bearcats. I don't want anybody at U see upset with me, seg But why were they so damned petty? I had no idea. I want to know. I have no idea. Were they really afraid that they were going to start selling merch on the back of UC at A at a middle school in Tennessee? By middle school in Tennessee is like same thing here sixth through eighth grade, right, Okay, they're not exactly competing for nil money. Yet they're not. You never know, they're not selling merch outside of the school gym or at the games. I don't think that they're going to be buying any University of Cincinnati product in Cheatham County, Tennessee, unless they're in a lum or whatever. I'm just confused by why it was such a big deal that they had to go. They got to change the logo on their basketball for it's costing them money, They've got to change the uniform that's costing them money. And it's all because you see thought that they were on their turf. Now, how long have the Cheatham County Middle School team been the Bearcats, that's the question. I think it was a while they've been all of a sudden, or maybe they were a new school. I'm not sure, but all of the sudden, the University of Cincinnati has a problem with a middle school in middle Tennessee, just as beyond me. I wish someone would explain it to me. That's the world today, Gary Jeff, that's the world today. Apparently it's the world today with the University of Cincinnati, not with Xavier so much. They can use Musketeers proudly in Cheatham County, Tennessee. They got a good looking logo now.
Speaker 8: I saw today the school's got a pretty good looking logo now, so you know.
Speaker 1: And see that's the thing that you see. Should consider. They're much in their name too. They're much improved with a logo that now is sporting the musketeer logo. So maybe UC should think about changing their low go. If it's good enough for Cheatham County, then it's good enough for UC. Or that's the way it used to be. Not sure that's gonna happen, No, probably not.
Speaker 8: No, No, they got enough problems up at you see, versus their logo and whether or not they're going to change it.
Speaker 1: So now we gotta have c Cincinnati tomorrow night.
Speaker 8: Well, I said, yeah, Toronto's in town to take on our men, and then I think it's Tuesday or Wednesday they go to Mexico to play back in the Champions Cup segment.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question. If you are, for some reason holding an axe and you're confronted by two sheriff's deputies, say you're in Columbia Township, for example, Yeah, and you throw an axe and a baseball bat at the two armed officers, what do you think the result will be. I wouldn't I drop them.
Speaker 8: I'd heed the officers a morning, correct, Yeah, I wouldn't throw them.
Speaker 1: No, what do you think he was gonna do.
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 8: I don't know, Gary, Jeff, Because there's more of the police than there are of the criminal.
Speaker 1: Well, but beyond that, I mean, the police are always under scrutiny anytime they have to use quote unquote deadly force. In this case, I was wrong. The guy didn't die, right, he's recovering from his injuries. But there was somebody who wanted to prosecute the police officers for fending off the axe wielding, batthrowing maniac in Columbia Township. Do you think there's mental illness at work? Possibly said that, I don't know, Gary, Jeff, I have no idea. Not a doctor, I believe. No, you're far from it. You're not a psychologist. Far from it, all right.
Speaker 8: The guy that usually sits in that chair is but half the time he falls out of it.
Speaker 1: So what can I say?
Speaker 5: What was it?
Speaker 1: You weren't in the room on that time? I no, when Willie fell out of the chair? Correct, And then Scott's Loan claimed to worry about him. So I don't want Scott's Loan doing my eulogy. If I if I keel over in the middle of the shit, I wouldn't do it either. No, So there you go. No, who do you want eulogizing you? Idea? You're a longtime legend in this market, at this radio station, and there are going to be a lot of people who are sad and need to be comforted at any time in the future when you may or may not succumb to the attrition of life. Seg never thought about that. So far? Would you like Willy to eulogize you that? I don't know. Probably so, or I'll think a few other What about John John from Kiss one or seven? I think he'd do a fine job. What about that? I'll think about it, Austin Elmore. I'll think about it. Yeah, but it's something you need to consider. We're getting to the age all of us meet me included here Segre. We're not going to be around forever. We're closer to the end than the beginning. I hate to think about it in those terms, but it's true. And I thought for a while that I would like I would like Sarah Elise to eulogize me. I think she'd do a fine job. Uh, and she'd do it in really hot black boots.
Speaker 8: Gary jeff In Utter of this being National Tartar Sauce Day, is it really? We leave you with the immortal words of the stew Report.
Speaker 1: See the Highway patrol election again next week.
Speaker 7: Until then, remember, leave your blood at the Red Cross, not on the Highway.
Speaker 1: This is Rodrick Crawford saying, see you next week, your Broderick Crawford always shot somebody in that Show's right, whether they were wheeling an ash or throwing a bat and mess around in those days. No hell no no. And there was no committee coming up, you know, putting him under administrative No.
Speaker 8: No, no social assists on patrol or anything like that.
Speaker 1: No Rodert Crawford Man twenty one fifty badging a gun. All you need justice is just us baby bingo. All right, So I want you to think about the next time that we're together, who you want to say your public farewell? All right, I'll do it either on the radio or come up with us. You're awake, okay, because I'm I'm working on some things for you. Oh okay, okay, not that, not that I'm going to facilitate that, or I was going to say, don't rush it. I want to be around for a while. Segment Take Care Savage Report on seven hundred w l W. It's been three weeks since I found out on the air on Valentine's Day that our beloved cat dog, Brooksy had passed away suddenly. And I just want to say, and I talked about this last Saturday morning, a big thank you, a heartfelt, sincere thank you to all of the people who heard about it and then offered words of condolences and sympathy in the interim time, including today our new Citizen of the Day, Citizen of the Week, Bill Cunningham, does that, doesn't he? I think he does. Diane Gardner, who sent me a note she didn't do it since she'd be on the air, And it's just a really really nice sending you heartfelt sympathy. And I'm not going to go on much more about what some people say. It's a dead cat, what's wrong with you? Yeah? Okay, he was our he was our cat, he was our beloved pet friend, and he was a cat dog, as I've explained, on a leash play and fetch, following us around the house like a puppy. And now he's gone. But just how much it meant to Christa and I to have the overwhelming ground swell of sympathy and people steping out and say, man, I'm sorry. But I found out about it on the air, which was a difficult, difficult ride for about forty five minutes as I still had It was like eleven fifteen and I had to go till noon that day. I was in for Sloan today in the Babylon B. If you're not familiar with the Babylon B. They are extremely funny. I highly recommend that you get them on your email feed. Today's list from the set satirical political site nine essential items France is providing in defensive Ukraine. As you know, They've been a slight pause in usaid to Ukraine after the incredibly bad meeting with Zelensky last week at the White House, and it looks like we're getting things back together, the bands getting back together. Eventually, Zelensky's come to a census, but we temporarily paused USA to Ukraine. So this is a way that France is they pledge support for Ukraine in the possible void of US aid. Here are the nine things, nine essential items French has provided. France is providing in defensive Ukraine. Number one strategic bagette drops. They can be used as sustenance or blunt weapon, depending on how stale they are. Have you ever been hit with a bagette that's stale? Oh, they're toothbreakers. At least weekly shipments of stinky cheese to the front lines. Watch those Ruskies flee in search of fresh air. France will provide squads of Muslim migrants who will stab any white people they see. France is reportedly willing to pledge three million military age Islamic males. They got a load of them accordion players to aid in the interrogation of Russian captives, although they say it may violate the Geneva Convention. Number five unwashed frenchmen to create a perimeter with an impenetrable wall of body odor that frightens me. Provisions for all soldiers consisting of croissants and tiny cups of coffee. Even war doesn't have to be entirely uncivilized. Number seven cutting edge guillotine technology. Now I pause here. I've always said, if you're gonna have a death penalty, if you're gonna have capital punishment, not that I'm forwarder against it, but if you're gonna have it, a guillotine is really the cleanest best way to go. I mean, there's no struggling on a gurney of your head exploding from electricity. You lop the head off and it's done very, very humane. Number eight mimes the French equivalent of the most elite special forces, and number nine an endless supply of white flags, which reminds me of my uncle's French World War II rifle only dropped once, never used news time. And then Charlie Coleman, the Coach, joins us on the Bill Cunningham Show. Gary Jeffin for Willie at seven hundred WLW. Let's go over fifteen years ago, I attended a County Commission meeting in Newport, and part of the reason I was there was at the request of a guy I knew named Charlie Coleman. He would get involved in local politics in Northern Kentucky. But anyway, he is here in the studio to talk about this new book that he has compiled called Northern Kentucky Sports Legends of the nineteen fifties. And all of the names are there, just an incredible list of fantastic athletes who have been a part of the fabric of high school and college sports in Northern Kentucky. Many of these names still resonate and people still know who they are, even some seventy years later. But Charlie always had a love for that. He was a coach. In fact, they called him coach at Belbie. I still call him coach. But the reason we got together at the time, Charlie, was because you had you'd heard me on the radio, and you knew basically what my politics were like essentially, and I was a guy who loves freedom and liberty. And in Newport, in the Campbell County at the time, they were debating whether to end public cigarette smoking in public places, so which of course it ended in Ohio already, and the pushes on and now individual cities in Campbell County decided they're going non smoking by edict in Bellevue and Dayton and most areas of Covington. But Newport is still kind of like an oasis of liberty if the owner of an establishment deems that his customers don't mind the smoke, and it's for me. It's always been a personal choice kind of thing, not a public health thing, in that you have the choice to go into any establishment you want. No one forces you to go into a bar, for example, free markets. Free markets, and you're not a cigarette smoker.
Speaker 9: I am not.
Speaker 1: I was at the time, but that wasn't the reason that I got up and spoke at the meeting in front of it, and we got it put down in Campbell County at the time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, actually it had been passed, but it had not been implemented at the time.
Speaker 1: But they opened it up for public comment, and we sure as that comment.
Speaker 9: We sure did, and got it repealed before it ever went into effect. So it was a great example of democracy and action and liberty loving Campbell Countians came to the forefront you included, and we got that repealed so a business owner could make his or her own decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and nobody is for it. There were like three thousand some business owners who had signed a petition against this new regulation, and most of them were non smoking by choice, by choice. It wasn't about that. It was about again individual liberty for each particular property owner. Property owners' rights and customers were rights met in the middle in a great show, as you said, of true democracy and action. So it was it was an So that's the way we met. And then you ran for office and was elected. What was that position?
Speaker 9: I was county commissioner from one of the three districts. There are three county commissioners and a judge executive right in Campbell County.
Speaker 1: All right, And then you got about to doing what you have done pretty much your entire life, and that is a This is the true definition of athleticism. It's a enthusiasm for athletics, and you have always had that from your times as a player to your time as a coach. When did you When did you play and what sports did you play?
Speaker 9: I've played football at Newport High School, Newport Public High School, Class of nineteen sixty six, and I'm here to admit to everyone listening to the world, to the Nation station here that I was not a very good player. I was cannon fodder for the better players. But I did have a love for it, and especially when I went away to college down to Eastern Kentucky University, they had a good football program. I'd go watch them practice and thought, you know, this is what I want to do. I want to coach football, and I was able to fulfill that dream.
Speaker 1: What was your first coaching job.
Speaker 9: My first coaching job was back in Newport at one of the elementary schools, Dora Comming, Oh, the old Park Avenue School. So I started with fifth and sixth graders. You're playing football? Yeah, yeah, fifth and sixth grade, and then ended up crossing the creek it was a creek at that time, over to Bellevue to further my career and coach high school football and eventually became the head coach at Bellevue High School and had a great career. We have the utmost respect and love for the community of Bellevue and what they did for me and my family.
Speaker 1: You also have an enduring love and respect for the athletes that came through Northern Kentucky specifically, absolutely, and in this book you detail and Seg was in here when you guys came in. Charlie's here with his wife, Chee Chee, who's marvelous, but she won't talk on the microphones. But anyway, the first thing that Seg looked at was the first chapter, Bill Aker, mister baseball, and Seg goes, now, that was a player man, he was everything back then, tell me a little bit about Bill Aker.
Speaker 9: Bill Aker is graduated Covington Holmes High School in the late fifties, was an outstanding baseball player. He was going to sign with the Reds, but had some type of accident and it curtailed that career, actually ended that career. He got in the newspaper business, worked for the Cincinnati Inquire and when Northern Kentucky State College was established in the late sixties, James wait K, doctor James Claypool was given the task to start an athletic program, and the first program he started was baseball, and he asked Bill Aker if he would like to be the coach. And there were times I understand Bill had to go through the student center and get players for that afternoon game, but Bill ended up winning over eight hundred games several conference championships. Several players went on to be professional baseball players. Pitching coach for the Milwaukee Brewers. Now I can't think of his name, but played for Bill at NKU, so Bill again a homes graduate Northern Kentucky guy, was an outstanding player but became even a better coach.
Speaker 1: A lot of people don't know about the great career of Stan Arngen. After he left high school in the weird stand play.
Speaker 9: He played at Newport High School and signed went to Moorhead State Teachers College and was signed by the Cleveland Indians in baseball and was actually player of the year in their minor league system.
Speaker 1: He also played basketball, right he.
Speaker 9: Did, and he did, and was a freshman starter on a regional championship basketball team in the late thirties. But nineteen forty nine or forty eight became head basketball coach at Newport High School and had an outstanding career, won five regional championships and I think over four hundred games. Was a real innovator. They used zone presses before anybody us zoned presses. Colorful coach Newport wore red jim shoes. They had knee socks red knee guards, which was unheard of at the time. And before the game, the starting five would lay down face down on the floor what Yeah, with their heads together in a circle, and they would say the Lord's Prayer and the cheerleaders.
Speaker 1: That could never happen today.
Speaker 9: The cheerleaders would gather around them and spell out wildcats. And so that was Stan Ardsen. A great coach, a great innovator.
Speaker 1: And kind of a pt barnum of swords. He was a pretty good showman, wasn't he.
Speaker 9: I can remember a game where he could get on the officials, you know, and he was getting on the officials and he jumped up and said something I can't remember where Newport was playing. They were just getting ready to team up, and he was stomping his feet. He just kept stomping and stomping until he went out into the lobby and he bought a coke and then he came back.
Speaker 1: Yet in the middle of a gamil the game, he stops out, yeah, goes to get a coked consent and just comes back and sits on the business. That's the That's beautiful. What a great More great stories in this book and two people that anyone, even if you uh say, are much younger, you would know some of these names just because of their incredible careers after they left Northern Kentucky sports. Some of them never left Northern Kentucky, like senator and Hall of Famer Jim Bunning. Yeah, talk to me about Jim Bundy.
Speaker 9: They went to high school a Saint Axe and Cincinnati, but he was raised in Southgate, I thinks where you live. Yeah, in Southgate, went to St. Teres Elementary School and he was quite an athlete in all sports, as most of these guys are. And one girl here will talk about. But Jim Bunning went to Xavier University, also on a basketball scholarship originally, but played baseball and was discovered by the Detroit Tigers. And early in his minor league career he didn't have a lot of success, and they had changed his arm angle, and only three or four years into his career, he himself dropped his arm angle where he was more comfortable, and from then he became a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the side armor who became a home Yeah. Yeah. And here's a name that everybody who is familiar with you see basketball Lore and then the NBA and ABA will know the name Tom Thacker.
Speaker 9: Tom Thacker a great, one of the greats. Nobody could write a book about Northern Kentucky athletics who have mentioned. Tom Thacker played at William Grant some call Lincoln Grant. It was the all black school at the time during segregation. But he is the only person ever to win an NCAA championship.
Speaker 1: At the University of Beca.
Speaker 9: Bearcats, and then in the NBA with the Indiana Pacers, the ABA, excuse me, and then the NBA with the Boston Celiics.
Speaker 1: The only guy, only guy to win championships with all of those, all.
Speaker 9: Of those in areas of Northern Kentucky. Guy and a real gentleman. He used to attend our Northern Kentucky Hall of Fame Sports Hall of Fame meetings and he would bring Jim Brock, his coach, and George Wilson, who had played at UC would come and just a real gentleman.
Speaker 1: Anybody who knows anything about football knows the name Homer Rice. He's a legendary coach and he came right out of what Bellevue.
Speaker 9: He was born in Bellevue, Yes, his father was a minister, and at a young age they moved down to eastern Kentucky. Uh but stay very long, came back and settled in Fort Thomas and Homer Rice. We could do a whole show, no doubt. He was really a father of the triple option offense. And some people know that, but not a lot of people. And of course he became head coaches cincinne Bengals. And when he passed, which was only a year or so ago, I think maybe a year ago, he was still teaching a class at Georgia Tech on leadership fitness, which he wrote a book which I have called Leadership Fitness that is used now, Gary Jeff, not just a Georgia Tech, but all across the nation. Colleges used that book in their curriculum, no kidding.
Speaker 1: And what about the young lady you were talking about this featured in this book.
Speaker 9: That's Scott. What a tremendous individual. All of our listeners, I think remember the movie A League of their Own, Yes, and so on. She played in that league and she went to Saint Henry High School out in Orlanger. Her dad had read in the paper, probably a local paper, that there were going to be tryouts for the Women's Professional Baseball League in Chicago, So he took Pat and she made it and was assigned to the Sally's was the nickname. I forgot the city. Most of those cities were in Illinois at the time, right, And yeah, the Rockford Peaches. Yeah. Yeah. Her mother got sick, so she had to come home and she went back and then had her career with the Fort Wayne Daisies as a pitcher, and her uniform is up at the Barons of Crawford Museum there in Davoo Park. She was also an outstanding artist wood carvings, tremendous artist, but just a real lady. She told me that that movie was pretty accurate really as well. They were well supervised. They were taught how to be a lady, and they couldn't be out after a certain time at night. And yeah, Northern Kentucky Lady, Pat Scott.
Speaker 1: Where can people get the book, Charlie Northern Kentucky Sports Legends of the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 9: Not any bookstores, but if you could email me at n K Sports Legends at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: NK Sports Legends at gmail dot com, and.
Speaker 9: I will be in touch with you and I will even bring it to you real quickly.
Speaker 1: Just head of Reds Baseball Bill and Fort Thomas has a question. If you've got a question for the coach or a comment, go ahead and make it, sir, Hey, Gary, Jeff, Yeah, Bill, go ahead, this is George's mess or you remember me? I do remember you, Bill, Yes, yeah.
Speaker 10: I would tell you the guy that's Swiss too.
Speaker 1: They don't get any better than him.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I just wanted to.
Speaker 10: Let everyone know I'm up to one hundredth edition from Charlie just the other day. And Charlie, good luck to you, and you're just a great guy, and it's a pleasure to be part of the organization.
Speaker 1: I'm with with you. Well, thank you very much.
Speaker 9: Bill was part of the Northern Kentucky Sports Hall of Fame on the board of directors, right, and he actually bought the hundredth I got his picture he and I together Coach Kenny Shields that actually bought one hundred and one.
Speaker 1: I love coach. Have so many people that do. Listen, Charlie, thank you. This is a real pleasure and the books are real treasure for anybody who loves sports, especially local sports. Northern Kentucky Sports Legends of the nineteen fifties, NK Sports Legends at gmail dot com if you'd like to find a copy of that Red's Baseball in Arizona. Coming right up after this on seven hundred WLW