Speaker 1: I'm Ali. I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 2: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 1: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that come with it.
Speaker 2: When coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 1: This is the Lesbian Chronicles, partly because.
Speaker 3: It's my brand as well.
Speaker 4: My brand is your brand.
Speaker 3: My brand is your brand.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Lesbian Chronicles, where Melissa and I rise and fall together, have one hundred. When you're losing, I'm losing.
Speaker 4: The ship's sinking.
Speaker 1: Ship is sinking. We're both and we're bailing the water out together.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So Chicago, you had a fucking blast I did.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great city.
Speaker 2: It reminded me a lot of Atlanta, like a bigger Atlanta, like just diversity, Like everybody's really nice. There's just so many different things to do. It's really pretty. The weather was great, so it was a lot of fun. And met up with one of our listeners, Shannon. Thank you showing me around. I hear she's going to come visit us here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was a blastman. And we went to Whiskey Girl Tavern. It was a really fun little bar and a listener who will remain nameless. I got to meet her and her wonderful wife there. How did show you, I don't know, other than following like on Instagram and stuff, but it definitely made me feel pretty cool. But they were so sweet and I appreciated them coming over and talking with us and everything. And uh yeah, and I got to go see a show at Second City, which was so cool. The improv those people are just brilliant. I know, it blows my mind.
Speaker 4: To watch improv.
Speaker 2: These people just are so quick with it. It's so different than stand up comedy, where it's you know, curated and written previously.
Speaker 4: Like all the jokes. But and the river walk was fun.
Speaker 2: Like I sat there like a you know, little kid, watching the boats go by, And have you ever been there and watched them do this like with the drawbridges and stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't know about the draw bridges, but I've spent a lot of time in Chicago, so.
Speaker 2: Right along the riverfront there there's all these like there's a bunch of tour boats going by and just regular boats, but any of the tall ships they have to wait for the drawbridge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they can go under.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And so like it's this whole process of like setting off the alarms and like lifting up the bridge and then they have to like wait in between for the next bridge to open.
Speaker 4: So I sat there for far too long watching this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just so fun and like this group of friends pulled up on like their boat and just kind of hung out right there at the at the riverfront and waiting for the next strawbridge to come up.
Speaker 4: It was just like probably one.
Speaker 2: Of the most leisurely activities I've ever seen, because it's just like you don't have anywhere to be, you can wait for the next bridge.
Speaker 4: Totally.
Speaker 1: No, it's a great, great city. The food is delicious. Yes, it's easy to get around, like h l from.
Speaker 4: The airport into the city.
Speaker 1: It was like it's also like it's the Midwest, which I know I have my feelings about this, but I'm Midwestern, and to me, like, you know, there's something about Midwest people.
Speaker 3: I rarely meet one that I don't like.
Speaker 1: It's like real realness versus like Southern I've lived there I've spent a lot of time in New York City.
Speaker 3: I'm from the Midwest, and now I'm in the South.
Speaker 1: I can tell you they the Midwest these are really real nice people. The South is fake nice. The Midwest is real nice, and the Northeast is they just don't give a shit about you.
Speaker 4: I just to someone like that exact thing.
Speaker 2: I'm like, Southerners, They're gonna be nice to you, but it's like backhanded nice. Oh my god, Yeah, Midwesterners are like kind they would there the shirt off their back totally.
Speaker 1: That is my neighborhood growing up, That is my family, that is all my friends. There wasn't this like culture of keep up. It was just like genuinely goodness in a way that like I haven't seen in a place that I've lived before, besides maybe my neighborhood. Like I do feel that from my neighbors. But I would say Atlanta as a whole. I love Atlanta and I'm never leaving, So this isn't a dig on Atlanta. But I will say that, like Southerners in general, I don't find like religious kindness sometimes to me doesn't feel real right, Like it feels like a little bit like I don't know, Like I don't. It's just there's a there's a symptom here that I don't totally trust.
Speaker 4: They're they're just trying to I get one more step closer to heaven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they want to get past they want to get a posse upstairs.
Speaker 4: Like you know, I really fed up a couple of years ago. I better make for.
Speaker 1: It, it's true, or even just like how are you like all this like bullshit back and forth, where like I just they don't have that in the midwak.
Speaker 4: I struggle with that so much to Yeah, that's small talk kind of thing.
Speaker 1: And my mom when I moved here, I did okay, so I was a physical therapy major and that was my degree, and I did a clinical internship in Atlanta, and I when I decided to stay here my parents, who are from d C but then reload to Indiana. My mom was like, I just want you to know, like I, the South is not the Midwest like you it's clicky. These women are not going to be accepting the way that they are where we live, Like, it's not you're not in Indiana anymore when you go to Atlanta. And I remember being like, that's the silliest thing I've ever heard. But then when I got here, I did. It took me a minute and then I was fine. But there is like a demographic and maybe this is true everywhere, but like as a mom, here I had my solid group. But I wouldn't say that like they are the nicest demographic. Like there's a cut throatness here that we did not have in my hometown.
Speaker 4: It's a little mean girls.
Speaker 3: It's a little mean girls.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, that whole Like, what is it? I think you're really pretty? Oh? Thank you? Oh so you agree? You think you're really pretty?
Speaker 1: Ohen does the best rendition of that I have? Yeah, I speak of my gun.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it cracks me out so true.
Speaker 1: But I love Atlanta here.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 3: I'm never leaving like I love it here.
Speaker 4: I know that's just it. So I think that's part of it.
Speaker 2: Is like Chicago reminded me of Atlanta, but like Atlanta is so like it's much smaller that I like it better. You know, I can say it's sprawling for sure, but I don't know. It's just like a little bit like things are a little closer together.
Speaker 1: All tend the city don't sleep on is Chattanooga.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking about this today because I want to find somewhere to take my kids this summer, and like their summer is so packed with camps and all this stuff, and I was like, why am I not doing Chattanooga. It's like right in the street.
Speaker 1: I am telling you, like, don't sleep on it. You can live in the mountains with a river rushing by for like nothing compared to here.
Speaker 4: It is. Almost got a job there like years ago.
Speaker 3: And their downtown is awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and their aquariums great, Like.
Speaker 1: The aquarium's great, Like I just I the hiking is great, It's amazing.
Speaker 3: It's a great city.
Speaker 2: I think that's what we're going to do because I've been looking for somewhere that's like not too far so expensive, doesn't take a lot of time because we don't have enough time.
Speaker 4: But I think that's what I'm going to look into.
Speaker 2: So it's anyone has recommendations on what to do with kids there, because I was the other thing, a lot of people were so helpful about my Chicago trip with sending recommds, like I had lists of stuff and I could even.
Speaker 4: Do it all, like yeah, it was too much yeah.
Speaker 2: So many of the restaurants too, were booked up, so I'd kind of dropped the ball on the restaurant thing. But I did have a deep dish pizza that's gonna live in my, like my brain forever.
Speaker 1: What was it called?
Speaker 4: That was the place called gir Donno's.
Speaker 2: I think it was okay, sure if I'm saying that right, but yeah, probably like the top one, I guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But they had a personal pan.
Speaker 2: It was adorable and it was like the perfect size for me just being solo.
Speaker 3: You know, I love pizza.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dude, this pizza was so fucking good.
Speaker 1: What's your like eat meal? Like, if you if you could have one meal the last supper, what would it be?
Speaker 4: Oh man, that's a tough one.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: Ah, it would be such a mixture though.
Speaker 2: It would be like seafood and sushi and then like mashed.
Speaker 4: Potatoes, like deep dish pizza. Yeah, it would be a mess of food. So yeah, what about you? Would that be pizza?
Speaker 1: I don't mean my favorite thing dat is girl cheese and tomato soup. But that can be very disappointing, Like if people don't use enough butter, they use the wrong kind of bread, so I feel like that's a little bit hard because I would have to make sure that it's a very if that's my last one, who's making it and how are they doing it? But who's making my sandwich? But otherwise, pizza, for sure, I love pizza. Bad pizza is good.
Speaker 2: Tomato soup with some Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, yes, so freaking good.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got to remember that. Let's get into our topic today.
Speaker 2: It's funny you sent me this voice memo and you're like, I'm reading a book, and then you're like, I'm not reading a book. I'm listening to it, and I do a lot of time. I know, I'm like, why do I feel like a liar?
Speaker 4: I'm still taking the information.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing, Reese Witherspoon says, it's the exact same thing.
Speaker 2: I feel like I have to like confess to my sin. And I'm listening to the book and not listening.
Speaker 1: To the book. Well, the truth about my life right now is if I don't listen to the book, I'm not doing the book because I don't have an hour to sit in my bed reading and I'm kind of I'm realizing a slow reader. Like somebody told me how long it took them to read our book club Book Strangers, and it was like a fraction of what it took me.
Speaker 4: So I mean that's just it with a With an audiobook, sometimes I'll speed it up.
Speaker 1: I always speed it up.
Speaker 2: So it's like, yeah, you're going through it so fast, but like, I don't know, it's almost like my brain processes it better.
Speaker 1: This is the problem. This is the social media problem.
Speaker 2: Like because I have a thing, I zone out and I start thinking of other things.
Speaker 4: But yeah, like audiobooks, I can do other stuff.
Speaker 2: I can clean, I can go for a walk whatever it's it's killing two birds with one stone.
Speaker 1: So totally. And I can work like my work. I can get in the zone and have a book going. Oh really yeah, that's once I know what I'm doing on a design, Like, once I'm clear of what the direction it's going. A lot of it is just I've done it so many times that I can put it together pretty With the books going, it's actually kind of a lovely eience. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like a lovely way. Like if I get into what do they call it the flow state? Yeah, if I get into a flow state on a design, I realize, like I do love my job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like you finish and you're like, wow, this is going to look so good. And then and then I get to pick who like renders it, and so like, if I'm really excited about it, I'll pick somebody that I know is going to just like crush it.
Speaker 3: Yeah anyway, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what got me on this. I'm going through, as you know, probably more intimately than anyone, probably the hardest time ever that I've ever had. I know, people like she's been saying that for two years, but.
Speaker 5: She called me yesterday and I'm like, hello, I just want you to know that I'm having anxiety, like serious anxiety right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's so bad that I have to like verbalize it.
Speaker 3: I know, like it's a pit in my stomach, but it's like.
Speaker 1: The worst it's ever been I've got.
Speaker 4: Okay, do you have the feeling?
Speaker 2: This happens to me a lot when I'm waking up, And it happened the other day, like ahead of when I woke up Sunday morning in Chicago.
Speaker 4: My flight's note until four in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: But I'm waking up and I had this anxiety go through my body like a wave and it hurts like physicals. Yeah, if it's because I'm worried about the flight or what, but I hate it. It's physically painful.
Speaker 3: It's physically painful.
Speaker 1: And I would say, like, I know people are like she's been saying this for so long, but it's reaching like fever pitch. I the other day it was like a burning in my chest that I somebody was like, yeah, it's your hurt, Like, that's your hurt, that's this, that's so it's just yeah, I'm like, I know.
Speaker 4: You're like, my chest hurts. I'm like, does your left arm hurt?
Speaker 1: Let's attention to that seriously. But I saw I was telling a friend this. Okay, a long time ago, Tatum went through something and she read this book When Things Fall Apart, and Tatum like read this book and got so much out of it. And I remember thinking, like, noted, like she read this book, and she she she would keep coming to me. You know when you read a book that's got so much good stuff that you're like have to tell somebody. So she kept like calling me and being like and this like this makes so much sense and but you know she's she's a twenty and I'm not. So I was like, okay, it's a twenty year old reading this book. But then in going through what I'm going through right now, a feeling of like I would say, if I had to identify the feelings, it's shame, fear, and loss. Okay, if I really had to, like all big, all happening at once. And so a friend of mine was like, you really have to read this book When Things Fall Apart, like you'll you'll get this book when you need this book. And I think you need this book. And I remember Tatum reading the book, so I was like, wow, that's interesting. So then I go to go to bed, and you know, I do yoga nidras pretty much every night, and the yoga nidra lady at the beginning says an excerpt from When Things Fall Apart, like she reads part of it, and I'm like, this is now weird, Like now three people at this stage have told me I need to read it. So anyway, I started it and I'm already like halfway done because I'm listening to it. But there was so much in this life stage that I'm in, and some pieces of what you're going through. And another one of our friends is kind of in a battle right now that I feel like so much resonated with me. And I'm only halfway through, so I've got a long way to go. But what I would love to do is just bring up some of the larger topics and then have you, kind of, as someone who hasn't read this book, talk about it a little bit, just from like your perspective in your own life. Yeah, some of it's going to be relatable. Some of it is. And I just took some like very general notes and other people I'm sure have read it because it's I think it's a pretty popular book, and some of the stuff we've talked.
Speaker 3: About but just not really delved in on.
Speaker 1: And I think a lot of the teachings in this book are based on Buddhism, which I don't know anything about.
Speaker 4: Do you. I know a little bit about it.
Speaker 2: But it's interesting to me that like these things are kind of presenting themselves to you because I feel like this happens when you really need something, when like the universe is saying, like stop what you're doing, and like think about these things, Like this is going to show you the way that you need to move forward. And I felt that so tremendously with coming out, Like Brene Brown was such a huge catalyst for me in that situation. I kept she kept popping up in my world, and it was just like it was that push that I needed to like move forward. So I think the fact that this has like shown up for you so many times, it's like you need, you need this right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they're even like parts of it, Like I was starting to listen to one chapter and it was like too hard to hear, so I stopped it until my run this morning, and then I put it back on and I was more able to deal with it.
Speaker 3: But where it really got interesting for.
Speaker 1: Me is this topic of like do no harm and whether that's to yourself for other people, but essentially, like when you're in a state of unrest and you're feeling like I have to go left or I have to go right, you can't just like sit in that discomfort because you're panicked of like those feelings, and so you're like trying to pick one thing or the other or trying to make a decision. She compared it to like if you're meditating and you're sitting in a position for a long time, you know, your leg might start to hurt and it gets really uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: And you have to move. But you move and then what happens.
Speaker 1: You're uncomfortable again in twenty minutes or whatever it is. So she was talking about how a lot of times people in these situations where they can't just sit in what she also called like the path of the warrior, which is like sitting in that space and just not going left or right. Like for me, it was like a panic of like I have to like get locked down this thing because I'm panicked about this other thing. It's like, instead just like being there, because when you do the reach and you're grasping, which I've been doing, it's you're doing harm not just to me, but I'm doing harm to other people at this point. And so that kind of spoke to me that like kind of a softer approach is just to sit in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and that's the hard part because like what it reminds me of is like in a pool, if you're swimming, you're goal is to get to the edge. Right here in the middle of the pool. It's a lot more difficult to tread water in the middle of the pool. You want to reach for the solid edge. Yeah, but you've got to sit in the middle of the fucking pool and tread water for a little bit because you can't continue to reach for that ledge because it is impacting other people you know or you. You also need to learn how to like just do it on your own sometimes totally.
Speaker 1: And I think like her biggest takeaway for that treading in the middle is you can have short term gain by grabbing the ledge, but if you always get short term gain, you will have long term misery, like because you can't. You've got to learn to do the thing, to just sit there and be lonely or be mad or be uncomfortable, which it made me think too. Like I called you yesterday just to say, Hey, just letting you know, I'm like riddled with anxiety no reason.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry that I'm laughing about this, but but I mean you you you used.
Speaker 1: To do that more. I feel like you've kind of grown a little in this way. Oh thanks, Yeah, I mean I don't I hear. I mean, I know you're suffering sometimes, but I do think you've pulled yourself out and spent some way more time alone than you ever have in the past six months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, it's like i've but it's also like it's been a culmination of the past three years of like not feeling steady, you know, but also realizing like I can't keep using the ledge of the pool yes to feel steady because it's impacting other people, Like I have to just learn to be like it's okay, Like I don't I can sit with it.
Speaker 4: You know. If I get a text that is upsetting, I don't need.
Speaker 2: To reply right away, Like I can sit with it for a minute and decide how I want to move forward with that information. It doesn't need to be something that I like fire off about that really it escalates my anxiety to do so, or like I don't need to let that one text be like the end of the world, because most of the time it's not.
Speaker 1: He never is.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's like sometimes stuff is said that that's hurtful or feels permanent and you want to like panic, but you just I don't know, I've just learned that like, Okay, this isn't permanent, and if it is, then maybe that's for.
Speaker 1: The best, right Or that feeling of just like you're being judged or like you have a scarlet letter.
Speaker 3: That like you want to immediately like defend your honor.
Speaker 1: And it's just I've also gotten to a place of like, and my mom said this to me, people know your body of work or they don't. And if they don't, then what do you worried about?
Speaker 3: Like, truly, what are you worried about?
Speaker 4: And I don't.
Speaker 1: I couldn't answer her. I don't know what I'm worried about.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think a lot of it is that in this age of social media and putting yourself out there constantly and constantly looking for some kind of validation, be it through the Internet or just within your social circle.
Speaker 4: It's like your friends offer you validation.
Speaker 2: It says I'm a good person because these people like me, right, you know. And when it feels like things are off kilter, or maybe like a friend's a little busy so you don't hear from them as often, it's like you go into that feeling of lack or like that you're losing them, or that something's.
Speaker 4: Happened that they don't like you.
Speaker 2: But really it's maybe e they're busy, or they're dealing with their own shit, you know, right, or maybe you did say something that they didn't like, you know, so.
Speaker 4: They've pulled back. But it's also like it doesn't have to be solved right now.
Speaker 1: It doesn't have to be solved. And I think too, like sometimes there does need to be ya shed it Like it's not always that every you know, I think I'm so fearful of like abandonment because of what I've come through that I'm like, I hold onto things far too long. Yeah, And even though I'm tough on people, like I would say I'm tougher than you are on my expectation of people. But if somebody has been in my circle a long time I'm in, I care about them, then I'm going to make the effort. But there are some people that I just I needed to relinquish probably a year ago, and just couldn't for whatever reason. And I think it's like it's okay. I guess it doesn't make them bad or me bad. It's like it's just okay to shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And sometimes that's just it. It's like played itself out or whatever.
Speaker 2: And I think the whole like holding onto stuff longer than you you should have, Like I'm.
Speaker 4: Notorious for doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that a lot of it is coming from the fact of like leaving these very secure marriages, and then it's like you're jumping into the off a bridge, but you don't know where you're gonna land totally, and it's like we're constantly like waiting for that landing spot. And so it's like when someone does feel like a little safe, a little like they could be it, it's like you're going to cling to it.
Speaker 1: Because I mean, she talks about that too, like it's like you need to get to a place. It's so cliche, but get safe in your own and that only comes from being in the middle and not searching for what she calls entertainment, not searching for the ledge not you know, I even expressed to you this weekend there are a lot of social plans and it's like I've sort of said to myself, I'm I'm getting a little quieter. So that doesn't work. If I'm saying I'm going to get a little quieter, I shouldn't be showing up for everything. I need to sit in that middle and practice that. And that's for entertainment, it's really because.
Speaker 2: Because it's it's also a source of validation to have those plans, you know, And I.
Speaker 4: Think it's kind of like the whole thing where people.
Speaker 2: Are like, you have to love yourself before you can, you know, love anyone else, which has always just sounded like such bs to me because I'm like, of course I love myself.
Speaker 4: I take care of myself. Yeah, you know, like I want need to be here.
Speaker 2: But I think what that really means is you love yourself enough to not need the validation from everybody else around you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, and be able to be uncomfortable and not fill it with going to a movie or going to a thing, just be here. Yeah, So she said, basically in that like sitting in that you you want to act quickly, and basically underneath all that moving around, that restlessness is usually just fear. It's literally like if you just pull it all apart, it's like get very clear in that time. I mean, maybe right about it, what am I really scared of? And I'm trying to answer that for myself. I don't necessarily know. I mean I can say some surface things I'm scared of, but do you ever think about that, like what am I really scared of?
Speaker 3: Like what's the worst thing that could happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can tell you what we're scared of, at least what I'm scared of. And I think what you're scared of is like being alone forever, never finding something that was as comparable and secure as our marriages. Yeah, you know, we left something that would have lasted forever having not been for our sexuality.
Speaker 4: It's true, and that is to no fault of our own, you know. I mean I could have stayed.
Speaker 2: I could have stayed and stayed really uncomfortable in my body for the rest of my life.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, but it just get one life. You get one.
Speaker 2: I can't do this again, at least not that I'm going to remember, you know. And so it's like we did that hard, hard thing not knowing again. You're jumping off the bridge not know where you're going to land, and we still don't know where we're going to land.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we still don't.
Speaker 1: We still don't know where we're going to land. I think that's that's what's really hard, is because I hate not knowing. My personality wants to know. I want to I'm a hyper vigilant person saying I want to know.
Speaker 2: So I'm I'm the person like as a kid. When I would get a book, I would read it for a little bit, and then I'd always go to the end because I needed to know that, like everyone survived, it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, does that I live? And then I can enjoy this book.
Speaker 4: And then I can enjoy the book. I was not patient enough.
Speaker 2: And now in the day and age where we've got Google and chat GBT and you can like essentially find answers to pretty much everything totally. The one thing you can't do you don't know the answer. Maybe you go see a tarot reader or like a psychic or something.
Speaker 4: Maybe that would give you.
Speaker 1: Some Are you saying that because you know I am going to one?
Speaker 4: No, Okay, well.
Speaker 1: Let's finish this and then I'll tell you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I have met with a medium.
Speaker 1: Shut up, recommended by the same person who recommended the book.
Speaker 3: But let's go to the analogy she gave was on a lake.
Speaker 1: If you throw a rock in the lake, you can't see the bottom, Like if you're constantly moving and there's so much ripples from a storm in the lake, it's all jumbled up and you can't see. It's only like when things completely settle that you can.
Speaker 3: See what's underneath all that.
Speaker 1: So that was the analogy she gave of just sitting in that calm, get out of the storm, sit in the calm, and identify what's under there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that's that's what I'm working on right now. I'm just trying to like not grab for anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that's hard. Okay, Yeah, we talked about grasping for that short term ledge or pleasure is going to be long term hell, because you're never going to be able to not grasp. You're going to always be searching, and it's just that only creates a lifetime of problem. And then she also said that I thought this was really good, is you have more tenderness for the human race when you have had these like painful things, Like I do look at myself as a good friend because I am, like, I'm very imperfect. I'm very I don't know, like I've been through a few things, even my mom's like alcoholism. I'm I wouldn't take it back, honestly, Like it's taught me a lot of things. That's the way I show up. It's good and bad, but there's a lot of good to it too, So I don't know like I think about I think about that as well, Like you you have more tenderness when you're and grace for people.
Speaker 4: Right, And I think that's that's another thing.
Speaker 2: It's like the gift of realizing later in life and coming out and all that stuff. It's it pushes us to look deeper at ourselves.
Speaker 4: And I know I ever would have for sure, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't do therapy prior to any of this. I didn't self reflect on my actions. Like ever, if me and my ex husband had an argument, I wasn't gonna sit there and be like, well, why did that happen?
Speaker 1: Is that there is to believe me, I never even occurred to me. Never even occurred to me.
Speaker 4: No, So yeah, that's it. Yeah, that's true. It's like I never But.
Speaker 2: Now if I had an argument, it does feel like that, you know, with the people that I've been with in the past, no fault to them.
Speaker 4: It's my own insecurity, my own fear.
Speaker 1: Of not being able to just sit in that middle ground. And she would say that that's like the hook, like you vacillate between hope and fear, hope and fear, hope and fear.
Speaker 3: And I've watched you and I on that on that pendule of just that that's good.
Speaker 1: It's bad. Now I'm scared.
Speaker 4: It's a bad day.
Speaker 5: When we're voting on the same size, it's like, fuck it, I guess it's time to light it all on fire exactly.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: But I feel that, like I feel like I'm on that hooked hope fear, hope fear, and it's like I just want to get to a place that like that's abandoned, like it's I don't know.
Speaker 4: What you've thought anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not even a thought anymore. So that is my work. I am going to a medium that's amazing. I believe it because you know, I'm such a like that's like I'm just.
Speaker 4: Right, Oh my god, this is going to be great. Yeah, you know, I haven't. I've it's been a few years since I saw one.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've done it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've done it like three times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, where did you find? Like did someone recommend one? What was the the first one?
Speaker 4: It was like as if I just googled and I found one.
Speaker 2: I don't even remember where I drove to. It was like somewhere out in like Sandy Springs.
Speaker 1: How do you know.
Speaker 2: I didn't, okay, and like I think she offered to do it over the phone at first, and I was like no, no, no, no, I need in person like and it was very insightful. What she said was very much on par with what was happening in my life. Now. There's a lot of times where it's like, of course, you know, she could have just thrown something out there and it landed.
Speaker 4: But and then I.
Speaker 2: Saw one or two different ones within a pretty similar span of time that both very much resonated. One of them was able to reach a relative who had passed, which was really interesting to me.
Speaker 4: Actually, you know what, I'm just I'll just tell this story.
Speaker 2: So my ex husband's mom passed away when just a few weeks into me learning that I was pregnant with breckin very sudden, like just totally unexpected and really upset me a lot because this woman was like my second mom. And it also over the years has brought on a lot of sadness for me as far as like not having her as a grandmother and my kids, like, I just know that she would have been thriving with them and loved it. So I wanted to like know how she was doing and the way that this medium like explained the presence was like so spot on with her.
Speaker 4: He was like, she doesn't she's being kind of shy.
Speaker 2: She doesn't want to come forward, and but she she wants you to know that wherever the kids are, she's there and that she leaves gifts.
Speaker 4: And I was like, that is crazy that he said that, because.
Speaker 2: Her remains are spread in like a part of like the California Forest. She used to go camping a lot as a child, so that's what she wanted. That's where her mom and dad's remains are as well. And a couple of years ago, my kids went out there with their dad to go just visit the site, and on their way back out of the forest, they found a bag of legos, just random bag of legos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Brecon's favorite toy is legos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm like, that's I have the chills the gift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, And it's one of those things where it's like, I don't know, I can be a pretty big skeptic on a lot of things, but like stuff like that, I'm like, I don't know, man, that's like a little bit too like.
Speaker 1: Much of found the legos right, Like exactly he happened to be walking by at the right time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just even like I said, the way that he was explaining her of being like she doesn't want to.
Speaker 4: Really, you know, she's shy, Like that's exactly.
Speaker 1: How she was.
Speaker 4: She was shy, she didn't want to be in the spotlight, you know, all that stuff.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't know, I think there is you know, sure, there's like some smoke and mirrors to it, probably, but I feel like you're going to walk away with something that really resonates with.
Speaker 1: You and helps, I hope, So I'm excited to do it. What also kind of corroborated it is I'm listening to have you heard of the Telepathy tapes?
Speaker 4: I feel like I've heard of it that I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you like a high level like synopsis, but I learned about it from Katie and our friend group. She's like, she knows I listened to a lot of podcasts and this is kind of a sciencey podcast, so she thought I would like it.
Speaker 3: She loved it.
Speaker 1: And but it's about mother's of kids with autism and how if you know somebody with autism, This is like fascinating but they were saying how a lot of people think kids with autism, like severe autism, nonverbal autism, don't like there's nobody in there, or like they don't really have the you know, almost like there's nobody, like nobody's listening, because they don't think that the person is like really in there to understand or to like their language. If they're nonverbal, they just don't have it, and cases they're written off. But there was a lot of mothers who were coming forward and saying, like, I think he's or he or she is like reading my mind. It's like the mom would say, like I would start to say something and then they would type it into If they're nonverbal, sometimes they have those typing things that they could type on. And she's many moms, not just one mom. Many moms were saying that, like it's almost like we have telepathy, like he would know what I'm saying, or he would go do what I needed him to do before I even asked him. And so they did this study that's like double blind, where they essentially had a scientist come in and a documentary filmmaker who has no skin in the game was just filming it and like the mom. They would give the mom a word and tell her to just think about this random word, and sure enough, across the room, the child would type in the word. And like it's almost like so unbelievable that you don't believe it. But then when you look at who's doing this stuff, she's legit. I mean she's a real scientist, and the documentary filmmaker is legit. So I started listening to just story after story on this telepathy tapes, and it made me think, like there are people who have and maybe some nonverbal autistic kids developed this other language that they can just read or read what you're saying. I don't know. It just made me think there are people likely that have the ability. We probably had the ability at one point to feel that and we just grew out of it or we culture, you know, growing up. It beats it out of you. All you should listen to this, but it does like make you think, I'm sure there are people out there.
Speaker 3: I know mediums are different, they're talking to.
Speaker 1: Something else, but they also I think sometimes are they feel what's happening with you?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah, you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I mean I think there's definitely like an energy thing that people omit, you know, yeah, all the time, and it's just varies as far as like who can read that energy?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: So have you ever met someone and like a woman that I know would sometimes we would meet people and she'd be like, there is like a dark energy there.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I feel that sometimes, you know, and like they're scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I didn't used to feel that with people. And I had someone.
Speaker 2: Early on that I met with like coming out, and she was like, I really I can feel people's energies like whether.
Speaker 4: Or not as blue or green or red.
Speaker 2: And I was like, okay, but now I'm like, no, I do see that.
Speaker 4: Mind.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's more of like the dark versus light energy, you know that you feel from different people, like and yeah, some people it's.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, like you scare me.
Speaker 1: You scare me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not like in a sense of like I think you're gonna like harm me, No, just like from an emotional safety standpoint, it feels eric.
Speaker 1: I don't want my life to turn into this, so I need to just like keep a little bit of healthy distance so we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: I know, I'm very curious about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So but yeah, I am this month is entire swim team month of June. So we are headed to a swim meet here for the emas.
Speaker 3: Okay, well then I'm going to see you Saturday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Well everybody, have a good rest of your weekend and see you.
Speaker 4: Next week, all right aye.
Speaker 6: I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast. Rate us and write a review on Apple podcast or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We love listener feedback. If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: That's Melissa M. E.
Speaker 1: L I.
Speaker 3: S A and Ali A. L.
Speaker 1: L I at gmail dot com. Or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles