Speaker 1: Hi, Welcome to the NBA Podcast. My name is Morten Jensen, and today we'll be discussing the Gary Trent Junior contract, and not because we're celebrating it, but instead because the NBA most certainly are not celebrating it and are in fact investigating it because that actually makes sense. Then we're gonna get into some Adam Silver stuff he talked about recently, the second Apron and NBA Europe. So that's what we have on the docket for you today and with me to cover those subjects. It's my good pal Brian to Porik Brian, how are you, Sar?
Speaker 2: I am doing well. How are you more?
Speaker 1: Can complain? Can complain? This is a the first podcast in my new apartment. Some of you may know this. I went through a recent divorce, so this is my new place. And if there's an echo that what isn't usually present, it's because I haven't made sure that my office is like soundproof yet, which the last one was, So it'll come. Give me time like it's it's it's a work in progress.
Speaker 2: So far, so good, So let's I'm honored to be the first guest in your new apartment. Feels it feels right.
Speaker 1: Feels right? Oh my god, all right, you know what doesn't feel right? Sixty four million dollars for Gary trun Junior.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he sure did. You sure did. Yeah, And uh, you know, I think everyone when they saw that contract immediately jumped to This has to be obvious salary caps are convention because Gary Trent Junior is coming off of the season where he have bridged eight points, shot below forty percent from the field, and his homage to Terry Rogier thirty six percent from three just, I mean, just an awful season from him overall, had coming off of back to back minimum contracts. So it certainly begs the question like who was going to offer him at this stage of free agency, in particular because he did not sign this contract on July first, when there was still money to spend, like you know, the the Lakers and the Bulls and the Nets have spent a grand majority of their cap space and Gary Trent Junior still managed to get this deal. I know, Shams is now providing cover and saying there was one team that was considering a signing trade offer for him at these terms. It seems like the NBA, you know, in the Bucks defense, the NBA has not concluded anything, but Shams did report that they are investigating the contract, which I think, just given everything we just said there, I think that's a.
Speaker 1: Reasonable thing for them to do, so I just have to get this off my chest. It's funny how this only happens when players earn too much. So if Lebron signs for the minimum deal, are we going to have an investigation there? Not really right, that's just going to be fine and Andy Lebron at the men cool A guy getting more than what he is like objectively worth, that's apparently not cool. I'm just trying to like gauge why it's only when the player earns too much that we're looking into things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Lebron is just such an outlier that I think he's like just to have to put him in an entirely separate bucket. I don't think it's really cap circumvention to get him on a minimum or your minimum. It's just that's the reality of where he is in his career and the teams that he's interested in joining, and just kind of the Second Apron and just the Apron era in general, that there's not a ton of money to spend. I mean if he if he wanted to, like he could sign with the Heat. I think they do have a portion of their non taxpayer mid level left over. The Warriors still have their full non taxpayer mid level left over. It could take some manipulating to get under the first apron.
Speaker 1: But you know, but you catch my drift though, right, Like it's yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's just when a guy gets paid. It's like, h it's always when a guy gets paid, it gets paid too much. Like I hear you though, Like I agreed to some of the gregious contract, Like I don't even know what the number would have been that would not have made me raise an eyebrow, Like I think, what everything anything over five million would probably have made me go oh oh. But like in fairness, and I'm not trying to like rope anyone else into an NBA in thisgation.
Speaker 2: But Kevin Herder, sure, I mean they're a couple. I would say there are a couple of contracts that And I think that's what's funny about this whole thing is like the contract is so bad that the NBA is like no, no, no, there there's no logical explanation to this contract. I mean, think about like all of the terrible contracts that have been handed out across the NBA. I mean, like the twenty summer of twenty sixteen is the ten year anniversary or that they could investigate it basically every one of those damn contracts. But this one is the one where like, this is like we're drawing the line here. This is so absurd that there is just no logical explanation to giving this man this amount of money over this many years, unless it's caps are convention. It's just it's all very funny. I don't I don't necessarily expect the NBA to actually punish the Bucks they find clear evidence of it. I mean, that's what you know, that's what cost Joe Smith and the Timberwolves back in the day. The Kawai stuff maybe will get an answer. By twenty twenty eight, there seems to be a plenty of circumstantial evidence that there was some cap circumvention going on. I mean to be like, I would not have necessarily batted as much of an eye at this if it was like a two year deal with a second year team option, even at that amount of money, or you know, a second year non guarantee, because then you could talk me into okay, just a balloon deal. They're looking to flip it down the line, and you know, that's just salary matching. It's the number of years. I think that's more of the red flag and the fact that it's fully guaranteed. You know, again, it's just hard to reach a logical justification for that, And I've seen a lot of people say, like, well, who cares. You know, the punish is that they have to pay Gary Trent Junior that sixteen million dollars over the next four years, and like, yes, that's funny, but you know, a if they're not willing to enforce obvious caps or convention, then all rules are out and every other team needs to start doing this too, Right, We're going to start having a lot of fake tree companies popping up in the NBA. I saw Caitlin Cooper, friend of the podcast, said something earlier, you know, basically that she's glad the Pacers now have Zubachi they traded for the deadline. But if it is, if the Gary Trent Junior deal is circumvention, him taking a blow market contract helped the Bucks sign Miles Turner, albeit to a contract that didn't age well, leading for the Pacers to overpay via trade for Zubach with another team that is also being investigated for Shenanigans. So she added, these investigations don't only affect the team's being investigated, and I think that is a point worth reinforcing. This is not just you know, the Bucks punishment is that they have to pay out this contract. It's you know, this like everything else in the league. It's all part of the same ecosystem. So them getting Gary Trent on a minimum had some trickle down effects, you know, that could have also like impacted what other free agents got last year. I saw a screenshot circulating around earlier. It was a quote from an executive. This was from Fred Katz of The Athletic had it last July, and the quote was, why would you spend twenty million dollars on Quinton Grimes when you can get Gary Trent junior for a minimum?
Speaker 1: Right? Fitting? Fitting?
Speaker 2: Right? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But I mean a fair question. But also like if that impacted Quentin Grimes's negotiations, and I think you know, Quentin Grimes has reason to be pissed, although it obviously worked out for him well, this summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I think that makes sense. I wonder if the league would benefit in installing a type of system that leans into John Hollinger's like what is it called boards? Like yeah, and I'm not saying it has it has to be like within that framework exclusively, but like if the league does have some tools that you can say all right, within this scheme and then only if something pops like dramatically, you can go, oh yeah, this is wrong and then have a conversation with the team. I just think that would be a smart endeavor because this is such a fluid situation. Like I agree with you, if they just find the Bucks are incompetent, what can they do? They can't do anything. Like if they just if they sit down with the Bucks and they walk away with the impression that the Bucks are just completely on board with this because they think this is such a great deal and there's no circumvention in place that they just think that highly of Gary Trent Junior, the League office will walk out of the Bucks practice facility and go, well, they're just idiots allow it.
Speaker 2: It's just remarkable that the Bucks are the ones that triggered this type of investigation. And not the Kings right over the odds on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but again, I mean, look, do we really feel as though the Bucks have made quality moves over the past few years, because I think we've had a conversation or two you and I about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, well, I mean, yeah, they obviously held on too long for your honest and I mean this is also a point going back to know how it affects the larger ecosystem. Them getting Gary Trent Junior on a minimum for the last two years, might you know, like that was a enticing selling point to keep you honest? Obviously did not work, but you know it, if they didn't get him on that contract, does you honest officially requests a trade sooner? Does that impact what they have gotten in return for him? Does that force their hand? Like the You know, it seems minor and funny in a vacuum, right, we can't deal with it only in that vacuum. And when you kind of look at the bigger picture implications here, you can understand why the NBA is taking this as seriously as it appears to be.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's funny. How it's not funny, That's just my way of saying it. It's weird. How remember when we talked about him at such a in such a positive terms, like when he was this like three and D guy in Toronto, like averaging eighteen points, strong defender, hitting three triples per game? Like, what the hell happened to Gary Trent Junior?
Speaker 2: Is this the guy?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Well, that's what's interesting is that, Like, and I think that's probably the case that the Bucks are going to make when they defend this contract. Is that. Yeah, a couple of years ago, he was averaging you know, eighteen point three points in twenty one twenty two, and then seventeen point four and twenty two twenty three. You know, not on great efficiency, but at least a good, decently high volume three point shooter. And like overall volume or overall efficiency not great, but three point shooting from the twenty one to twenty two through twenty four to twenty five shot thirty nine percent from three on six point seven attempts per game, So you know, that is fair. Maybe they see him as like, you know, we have this giant void now without Yiannis. He can put up numbers, you know, raise his trade value, and then we look to flip him down the line. Like I could. Again, I can get behind all of that logic if it was on a shorter term deal, right, but there's just no way that the team is going to offer much value for a guy on a four year contract coming off the season that he just had. You know, given how teams are operating these.
Speaker 1: Days, if they had signed him to half that two years forty two, would you have baded an eye? Like I think like you and I, because we're nerds, like would absolutely have said, oh, that's that's a bad deal. But would we have reacted in a way where we would have said, oh, this is this is cap circumvention. Would we have reacted disaggressively?
Speaker 2: No, because we've seen this happen in the past. I mean, like we saw kJ Martin got a two year, sixteen million dollars day right yeah with the Sixers, I forget off the top of my the Sons did it that same summer with I think josh akogy I can't remember, but I know the Sons did the exact same thing. It was like a two year deal, you know, a balloon deal effectively is what we were calling it, where it's like, okay, you're you're signing this guy to a well above market contract with the intention of using him as salary matching fodder in a trade down the line. Now the Sixers instead use kJ Martin and salary dumped him and spent two second round picks to do it. So that blew up in their face. But the Sons, I believe, trying to remember who they they got a center in. Was it Nick Richards? Does that sound right now? I'm gonna look it up.
Speaker 1: Nick Richards had like a two year, ten million deal.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, I think maybe it wasn't him, Yeah, it was him, Yes, Yeah, that's how they got Nick Richards to the Suns. They flipped Joshua Koji on this on the balloon deal and they were able to get Nick Richards. So yeah, like I think again, a two year, second year, non guaranteed, second year team option. I don't care what you pay him, because then it's there's a justification of we just have this big contract and like maybe we can, you know, package him with another one of our deals, Tyler Hero, Miles Turner, whoever, Kyle Kuzma, and we can get a thirty five forty forty five million dollar player. It's the length of the contract is what raises the red flag for me, especially like it's fully guaranteed in a summer where we're not seeing those types of deals handed out very oft. I mean, John Collins did not get a fully guaranteed contract. Robert Williams Powell, Yeah, Norman Powell coming off of an all star season two years and the second years of team option. I believe, like that's hard to square away. How did Gary Trent Junior get all this guaranteed money when guys who had much better seasons than him did not?
Speaker 1: Right? No, yeah, absolutely right, And I think I normally I blame the NBA a little bit for meddling too much. This time around, this is fair. This is like a fair investigation. I just don't mind that they're looking into this because it just seems so goddamn wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Like again, we're not saying the are necessarily guilty, but I think it's at least if you don't even investigate it, Yeah, that just tells you it's the wild West and every team should be doing this.
Speaker 1: Kind of thing, right exactly exactly, like they have to draw the line somewhere. So, Brian, we're going to take a short commercial break, and then we're going to come back with Adam Silver and who's talked about the second Apron. All right, Brian, you wanted to get into this. Adam Silver had a press conference recently. He talked about the second Apron. He talked about NBA Europe. You wanted to talk about the second apron, so so present what he said. So everyone's following along.
Speaker 2: Sure, So, I mean this has been kind of a topic of debate obviously since it came online a couple of years ago, but really this summer, you know, Kyle KU's been had a tweet a couple of weeks ago railing against how what the NBA has become thanks to the Second Apron. The nbpa's executive director said, you know, we are not fans of the second Apron. We should have done a better job fighting back and we're going to in the future. So that did come up Adam. The NBA Board of Governors had a meeting in Vegas. Adam Silver gave a press conference on Tuesday after that, and he was asked about David Kelly, the nbpa's executive director, about the comments that he had. So the question was, when you look at the effects of the Second Apron and you see that a team can draft well and draft potential MAX players but have to trade them. Does that make you want to change something about that because it's an unintended consequence and fans lose out on continuity of players that they have watched grow or is that just baked into the CBA And Adam Silver's first the first words out of his mouth were, it's certainly not an unintended consequence. Is that when you have a salary system in place, as we do, every general manager is going to need to make mixed basketball and business decisions. You know, in the case of a league, it's in essen zero, so that the extent a team doesn't resign a player chooses to trade a player, of course that player goes to another team. The purpose of the system is ultimately to create competition throughout the league. And from that standpoint, I think the system is working incredibly well. And they pointed to you know, the league's had eight different champions over the last eight years, more parody throughout the league, which he has been speaking about repeatedly, I mean for years at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I just find it interesting because I feel like the kind of conventional wisdom about this stuff is that, Yeah, this is not going as the players anticipated, as fans anticipated, as agents anticipated, as front office is anticipated. And here Adam Silver is out saying, no, this is going exactly as this is exactly what we had in mind. So you know, it's like we are not that far away, unbelievably from another round of collective bargaining negotiations. The CBA is supposed to run through twenty nine to thirty, but either side can opt out after the twenty eight twenty nine season. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say the players are probably going to opt out after the twenty eight twenty nine season. Yeah. So I talked about this with our friend Dan Favallei the other day about like kind of like what what can they fix, what should they fix? What will they fix? Like what where do you stand? Do you think the second Apron as it's currently con you know, the current rules in place for the second Apron, Do you think they're working well, they're working as intended and that we should just be fine with the way that things are right now, or do you think there are things that need to be improved about, you know, to avoid situations where the Boston Celtics feel like they don't want to keep Jalen Brown anymore because he's on a thirty five percent max deal, right, So.
Speaker 1: I think it depends on the motivation. Like the answer to that question depends on the motivation. If you know, the league has, as you said, just hammered the home the point that they haven't had a repeat champion for eight years, and they see that as an enormous asset. So if we look at it through that perspective, then yeah, it's working, right if we agree with that premise. I don't know if I do agree with that premise though, Like is it exciting, Yeah, to a certain extent, absolutely, But I also think there's value in having a team that suddenly becomes a dynasty, a team that wins back to back or back to back to back. I mean, look, that's that's special. Like at three peat, we've we've seen them before and they stand out over the course of NBA history. So if you were asking me, who is it four Like, for the business side of things, yeah, it's working like a charm and like for the variety of it all. Absolutely, is it working in the hand in the within the framework of giving teams a reasonable chance to maintain roster continuity. Absolutely not. Then it's dreadful and you know, like you also said, in terms of just keeping players around, it's so difficult to do that because this is something that you and I have been harping on for years, the extension limit. Like, here's my overall issue, and it's probably not like immediately directed towards the second Apron, but it does tie into it. If you are changing the way free agency works, if you're changing the way the draft lottery works, if you're making trades more difficult to complete, the three pillars of roster construction are then suddenly dramatically altered, and so you have to adjust to that on the fly. While also, oh, keeping in mind there's now a second Apron restriction applied if you get over a certain financial limit, which means you can't do Deadley squad. So it's I don't look at this current financial development from the league as a particularly good thing because I think it has forced the hands in terms of like what you can do from a roster construction perspective. Like if if I were to be hired as a general manager for an NBA team right now, I would come in and I would be able to I would be able to scout, sure, but I wouldn't be able to say, oh, yeah, we can anticipate a certain quality of player in the draft because I can drop way down now regardless of what happens. I can go in and say, well, I want to conduct a couple of trades, but oh no, I'm over the second apron. So I can't really do anything. Like I'm really limited here. I can say, wow, I want to be a big player in free agency, but free agency has more or less died. I can say, oh, I want to keep one of my players who's on a sweetheart deal, but I actually want to be able to pay him reasonable money. Oh fuck, I can't do that because there's a one hundred and forty percent limit. It's my hands, in other words, have become so dramatically tied that it when Adam Silver says, you know, you have to gauge it between you know, basketball and business, he's not wrong. But I absolutely firmly believe it's leaning so far into the business side now that the basketball side has become a little bit forgotten. So if you're so through that perspective, my answer is going to be no, I don't think it's working out like I think it's working out to the extent that they want it to work out. But I don't like it from a basketball perspective.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, I think I'm right there with you. I mean, as funny as the as the you know and Brown trade and the reaction to it is, you know, it does feel like you should at least be able to justify your moves. There should be some on court justification for it. I mean this, I would argue this is not the most egregious move that the Celtics have made for financial reasons. I mean trading Drew Holliday for Anthony Simons last year straight up. I don't think definitely didn't get first round picks. I think it was just a straight up trade. I don't think any picks changed hands. Like they did it because Anthony Simons was earning less money and it helped them get under the luxury tax. But they're doing that to a team that had won a championship a year ago. Yeah, Like, and I get you know, the Celtics took advantage of a very unique window that there was the one year like phase in of the new CBA where the second apron stuff hadn't gone into full effect yet, so they that's when they got Drue, That's when they got Christops. And I get that you don't want that team to stay together forever, because that team could not have existed had they just phased in the second apron right away. But I mean, I just I worry about, you know, the health of the league and the ability to create a new generation of fans. Yeah, if they you know, if teams continue to make moves that are just so obviously financially driven and don't it's hard to justify from a basketball perspective. I don't know how you get young kids into those teams or like make them die hard fans of those teams, make them lifelong fans of those teams, because I mean, think about how many kids right now are in the Boston area are super pissed about the Jalen Brown trade. And so that I think is my big concern about the system in general. Like I do think it went too far. I can understand the reasoning behind it. I think there are some relatively easy fixes that at least could reduce the pain without eliminating it outright. But no, I think it comes down to the question of like the NBA, to me, the most distinct eras of NBA history are defined by dynasties, or at least by like great rivalries. So you've got you know, I mean, obviously Russell Wilt back in the day Magic Bird, Lebron and the Pistons or not Lebron, MJ and the Pistons, and then MJ and the Jazz later and just MJ destroying the entire league in the nineties. You have the Heatles, you have you know, the the two thousand and eight Celtics, you have Lebron, the Wars, Shacks, Lakers. Yeah, I mean so like those, those are the even the Duncan Spurs and the mid two thousands like those, those are the teams that we remember. And the NBA system is making it difficult, if not impossible, for teams to build sustainable dynasties. And you can argue like, okay, that's fine, because that means, you know, to Adam Silver's point, like when teams are trading stars, the stars aren't going out of the NBA, They're just going to different markets. So maybe you know, every market's loss is another market's gain, but you're still not getting you stars aren't going to go to every single market, like no star is demanding a trade to the Sacramento Kings, with all due respect to the Sacramento Kings. So I don't know that it's necessarily accomplishing the goal of parity, and I worry it's just undermining the league's ability to, you know, have the next memorable, iconic team. We're seeing it with Okac right now. It's only going to get worse with them. But you know, they effectively his salary dump Isaiah Joe and Aaron Wiggins this offseason, got a couple second rounds picks back. But you know, you can't justify that from a basketball perspective, like we don't want these two guys on our team anymore. It's just like we had Chet Holgern and Jalen Williams going on max contracts now and you know, Shake Gilges Alexander is starting a super max in twenty seven to twenty eight. That's a twenty million dollar raise for him. Like they're gonna and case on Wallace if he doesn't sign an extension, he's going to be a restricted free agent next summer, Like this was the tip. This summer was the tip of the iceberg for the Thunder and you know, they managed to retain Isaiah Hart and sign for now, but like the pain is only going to continue for them moving forward. And then we see what we saw with Victor webbin Yama's extension, where he bypasses the chance of a thirty percent max uh decides to only take the twenty five percent max. You know, maybe he wouldn't have played sixty five games, and maybe it's a non issue and he would have gotten the twenty five max either way. But you know, if he plays sixty five games, he's making an All NBA team or he's winning Defensive Player of the Year, so you know, he he forfeited the opportunity to earn an additional fifty million dollars for the pursuit of, you know, additional financial flexibility for the Spurs down the line. I think the NBA's point is that players shouldn't have to bear that burden, like the system is broken. If Victor Wimbanyama feels like he has to take a twenty five percent max rather than a thirty percent max because he's worth you know, he doesn't want he knows he's got Steph Gassel and Dylan Harper on his team as well, and those guys are going to have to get paid at some point too, and he doesn't want the Spurs to have to choose between them.
Speaker 1: And I think the framing here is important, right because like when we say that the NBA is doing is no, it's NBA ownership doing this against their own teams. I think this is an important thing that we have to remember. Owners want this like owners want to be saved from themselves, right, There's a reason they vote the way that they do, and it's to save a buck. So I think it's so important that when we frame it as the NBA is doing, I just think it's worth remembering it's actually a different type of war we're talking about. It's ownership versus you know, leadership like or management. Sorry, like, it's it's owners versus general managers or team presidents. It's like the league is just they're working for the owners as is, Like if the owners say jump, the league will ask how high? Like that's that's where it is. So I just think it's so important to remember that whenever we hear owners come out and say stuff like well, it's really difficult to build a sustainable roster under these circumstances, you fucking voted for it because you wanted to save money. So I just like, I just I don't want to hear owners come out and try to explain like shut up, like shut the fuck up, honestly, because that's just that is so ridiculous. Like you're the ones actually going in and asking for these changes to be made, and then you're standing there at the press conference a couple months later with your arms shrucking like, oh, I don't know what happened these rules?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean they they come into every round of negotiations asking for an actual hardcap, yeah, and they effectively won one with the second apron. I mean a couple teams have gone over it, but you know, most teams do appear to be treating it as a hardcap. I think some teams are intentionally using the non taxpayer EMLI so they are hardcapped at the first statement, or they're using the taxpayer EMIL so they're hardcap so they have no ability to go over it. But yeah, I mean, it's it is very funny to see you. So I'm so I'm interested in terms of like how we fix this because Brad Stevens gives his press conference where he's, you know, kind of explaining the rationale behind the Jalen Brown trade, and at some point he said more or less, you know, if there was a rule in place where Jalen Brown, even though he's on a thirty five percent max because we drafted him, he only counts as twenty five percent or thirty percent of the salary cap, we might not be having this press conference. He might still be on the team. And I've seen that idea floated a couple times throughout the years. What do you think about that as a potential fix or do you have any other ideas of like how how we could fix this to the point where teams do not have to completely blow their cores apart, but we still accomplish the goal of you know, a team can't have a four hundred million dollars pay roll and just hoard all the talent and still maintain the put at NBA's push toward parody without like quite the drastic side effects that we're seeing right now.
Speaker 1: Right So one of the solutions, and I brought this up during the entirety of our podcast for the past what ten years, ten plus years. Is that you know, the whole idea that you are eligible for thirty five percent after your tenth season is asinine. It's absolutely ridiculous. Oh I'm going to go out there and pay a thirty two year old player thirty five percent of my salary cap for four years? Why why he's declining, He's not going to get better, if anything. Reserve the thirty five percent cap for when they're in their prime, like the seven to ten right. And that's the thing, Like, I'm not going to argue against players earning money because again, it comes down to billionaires versus millionaires, and I'm just never You're never going to find me on the side of the billionaires. So I'm not going to sit here and say players shouldn't have their money. But what I am saying is they need to be structured different like Brad Stevens's idea of basically saying, hey, if this is our homegrown guy, and we can pay the difference, but it's outside of the salary cap. Hell yeah, yeah go, because then we won't have like us analysts and pundits, we don't have to take hold or take into account what Jalen Brown truly earns that doesn't matter to us. What we have to analyze is like the salary cap number. That's it. Then it's none of our business. If he's earning ten percent more, doesn't matter to us. So I think that's a smart way of doing it. By again, the league will find every excuse or the league owners see now I did it. The owners will find every single argument that they can to avoid going in going in that route, because at the end of the day, it means, oh, still might pay my guy more and I don't want to. There's also this thing where now that we've seen that the salary cap is not climbing as much as we thought, I do think the cap percent just just just follows suit. So if you sign for forty five percent of the cap, it just can never exceed that. So a player's salary will always be capped at thirty five percent. So when the when the salary is announced or the new contract is announced, yeah, sure we can get into that, but it comes with the caveat that if the league's salary cap doesn't increase to the level that we thought, while that player's salary is going to decrease down to like thirty five So it can't be thirty five point one, It can't be thirty six, it can't be thirty seven point five. It always has to be thirty five. Like, just adjust it that way. That's a like. But again we're that's it's kind of splitting hairs a little bit because that how much how big of a difference does that.
Speaker 2: Make at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: I don't know my personal favorite, but again, pen liaicning players, and that's why I'm not going to say that that it should be this, But I just think from a nerdy salary cap general manager perspective, having the max contract capped at all times at twenty five percent would be chef's kiss because that means you can carry at least three guys who are who are superstars for example, Like you can devote seventy five percent of your salary cap to three stars. That shouldn't be a problem. You can fill out the rest of the roster on for twenty five percent. I don't think that's out of line, but the players would never go for it.
Speaker 2: Right, So I want to revisit a couple of the ideas you brought up. So I'm the you know, you a guy you draft is thirty five percent, you can earn thirty five percent of the only counts to twenty five percent. I think the pushback that I've seen to that, and I actually kind of agree with that, is that why does it only apply to players that you draft? Like why could the Indiana Pacers not do this for Tyrese Haliburton or the Thunder couldn't do it for get Shake Gilgess, Alexander or you know, you could say like if you acquire them during their rookie.
Speaker 1: Contract, to say that if you get if you get them within the rookie scale, that should work. That's sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But like I I I don't even know, you know what if you acquire like the Lakers with Luca, they got them after his rookie scale deal, why can't they you know, have that same benefit. So I think that's a fair pushback is like, why why are you kind of favoring the draft as the preferred method of team building if you are creating this exception for guys that you draft or four guys that you acquire earlier in their careers, especially when you just turned the draft into even more of a crapshoot than it already worked. With this new lottery system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you're right, and that that's it's a completely reasonable Like I don't think we're going to find a solution that just is the perfect golden way for everyone. Like I think regardless of what we figure out, they are going to be drawbacks to some extent, like the perfect solution doesn't exist. But I do agree that that's that's one drawback for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But to your larger point, like Donovan Mitchell, I think is a good flashpoint for this discussion because he signed a four year full max twenty or two hundred and seventy two point eight million dollars nine. Actually two seventy two point nine is the projection. Yeah, And to your point, the estimates on spot track, and you know, these are very very rough estimates because we don't know what.
Speaker 1: Forty seventy and they have I know where you're going here, yep. H.
Speaker 2: So I do actually like the idea of capping arrays at the percentage that the cap increases. That does seem you know, again it's relatively small potatoes, but every dollar matters, especially you know, teams are pocket watching more than ever, So I think that is a reasonable compromise but I mean, I think he's a good example of like why this is a discussion in the first place, because when he as soon as that came, as soon as I saw the sham's bomb there, my first instinct was not good for the Calves. It was like, ooh uh oh. I was planning on writing about it this later this summer. I didn't think it was going to come through so quickly, but I was planning on writing on like, should the Calves give him a full thirty five percent? Are we sure that's a good idea? And they were kind of stuck because if you don't give him that, then he's a free agent in twenty twenty seven, and we know what the entire storyline around the Calves all season is, what's going to happen with Donovan Mitchell. Yeah, and especially as you're pursuing Lebron James and free agency, you know that would be a clear negative. I would think in your pitch is like you want to come and deal with this distraction all season. So they kind of had to do this, but you know, should Donovan Mitchell have been willing to take less? Arguably? Right? I mean, but that's that's just puts these players in such a crappy situation where it's like you either take less and you know you get to play that I care more about winning card, or you don't take you take the full amount of money that you're eligible to earn based on your years of experience, and then you find yourself in Jalen Brown shoes in a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, because again then we come we're coming back to that debate, right, like the players should earn or get what they earn, and like like they should be able to get the full bang for the buck. And because they're the public figures, they're the ones we're asking questions about, you know, financial sacrifice, Whereas, let's be real, it's probably the owners we should be asking that question about, like, oh, are you not worth one hundred billion dollars and you're trying, you want you want to make sure that you get your luxury tax pay out from different teams so you get twelve million dollars. Okay, okay, Like, isn't that small potatoes for you? But like no, because again that's the problem with ownership. It's they're looking at it as a loss, instill looking at it as oh, I'm going to field a competitive team. Like, my biggest gripe with NBA owners is that they're just not looking like far enough down the road, Like approaching this as a business is fine to a certain extent, but just let me paint you a picture here. So I'm going to use the team that we have crapped on the most during the ten years we've had this podcast for financial reasons, The Bulls. Let's take the Bulls, sure, And I think they're the best example because they earned an absolute shit ton of money just having all those nights right like from the six championships, like oh it's ninety ninety two night, Oh it's ninety ninety one night, and so on and so on in Legacy Night and everything, Like they have earned millions upon millions upon millions of dollars just by promoting previous seasons, Like that's a fact, like merchandising and everything. Now, they're so scared of their own shadow in terms of like going into the luxury attacks that they're never going to give themselves a chance or an opportunity to find themselves in like a new rotation of this where they can go in and potentially win a couple of championships because and then you go, let's say Caleb Williams or Kay Williams, Caleb Wilson of course is going to be the next greatest of all time and he automatically wins the three titles. How much money do you think that team can can spurn over the course of the next thirty thirty five years off of those three titles that Caleb Wilson won them. I guarantee you it's a lot, and it's probably more than what owners save during that luxury tax thing where they go, oh, I want that twelve million dollar payout at the end of the year. So I'm just I'm not pissed at players for taking what they they've earned. I'm pissed at ownership for sitting there and saying, well, I just want to win the financial title. I don't want to pay the luxury tax. I got into this business to make money and not to provide a competitive advantage to the team that I'm operating like. We can talk shit about Mark Cuban all day long if we want to, and he's certainly got warts on him, but I will give that dude this. He was always basketball first when he came to the money part. Always and like, I think the league has become so short on some of those guys in terms of ownership that that's the biggest hurdle we're looking at right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I completely agree with that, right.
Speaker 1: All right, Well that's closed. So what was it? The way we wrap this up is owners get better? Yeah, because that's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: But we're gonna take a commercial break and then we're gonna come back with another little Adam.
Speaker 2: Silver tip about NBA Europe, all.
Speaker 1: Right, bright so yeah. In that same press conference, Adam Silver also talked about NBA Europe, which is a bounce tip off in twenty seven eight. And again we're we're hearing all these great things about like there are more cities interested in joining this league than they actually even asked bits from. And it's it's Mark Tatum, who is, you know, a deputy commissioner who's basically handling all of this. I am, as a European and so intrigued about all of this. And I'm not just intrigued from like from a basketball perspective. I've intrigued in terms of like how this is all going to work because there is significant blow up potential attached to all of this. I've been asking around quite a bit from my neck of the woods over here, and it like, if I have to put a rough percentage on it, it's like eighty percent negative and like, really, yeah, this is not like viewed that positively, and like there were some and I think a year ago the percentage was very different. But as we're getting closer and closer, I've sensed a shift. And I'm not going to get into the political thing, but I think, you know, the political current administration in the US has also soured a lot of Europeans on basically an American endeavor coming in and overtake a major sport over here. That that is my guess, and that's what I've heard from a couple of people, more than a couple of people, to be completely transparent, but it's interesting because what there's this whole thing about the FIBA angle and the EuroLeague angle. Like the NBA and FEBA, they have this great relationship. FIBA and euro League not a great relationship there. And my guess is eventually, maybe not initially, but eventually it's going to be the euro League that's going to be sort of replaced with NBA Europe, and that is where I think that's the fear at least, and that's the fear I see represented from a lot of people over here, basically saying, look, if we have to relinquish European tournaments and European competitions just to shoehorn the NBA into this market, that's a bad thing. There is a fear that these NBA Europe teams are going to piel for young talent from local clubs, so the local clubs just don't get any level of compensation.
Speaker 2: For these players.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot going on right now, and I think the NBA right now are presenting things in such an optimistic and positive view that I can be a little concerned. Because every time I've interviewed Mark Tatum, I've actually asked him about this, just in regards to like, are you aware of like the European basketball traditions over here, and like the respect that it requires, and like the attention to detail that needs to be in mind here, And while he gives me perfectly valid answers, I always feel like it's sort of not that big of a priority.
Speaker 2: For the league.
Speaker 1: And Silver again in his press conference about this I'm not sensing that the league is fully understanding of the level of passion there is over here from European basket ball fans, and that could worry me from like just from the NBA europe League perspective, Like I know that you don't don't necessarily have a big take on this, because I'm guessing you're not going to follow and be a eurable that much. But yeah, but I even so, I just wanted to bring it up because I think it's interesting that the league is just trying to present this in a manner where I think it's almost what'ts the framing I'm looking for here, it's it's almost laughably optimistic, and like, I'm not saying it's not going to work, but I think it would suit the league so much to also speak to the European audience and say, hey, guys, we actually hear you, we understand your concerns, and we're going to try to meet them to the best of our capabilities. But instead it's it's a lot of business lingo, it's a lot of lawyer talk, and I don't think that's going to make the product at all more interesting over here from a lot of people.
Speaker 2: That's interesting perspective. I mean it kind of seems to fit with the larger idea that we just talked about, where the NBA is like less focused on the product than it is just making the line continue to go up. Yeah, you know, I think like I would imagine owners are pretty happy with Adam Silver overall because you know, the salary cap only got to the point that it has because revenues have exploded. I mean the new national TV deals or you know, triple what they used to be. Franchise valuations are in an all time high, to the point where like no one can even afford a team anymore without getting a team of investors together. And I you know, I with NBA Europe, I just keep coming back to the question of like who was asking for this, Like this was a league initiative. Sure, but you know, I don't think American fans particularly care about this. And what you're saying is that European fans don't seem particularly high on it right now, well right right now being the key phrase.
Speaker 1: Right, So the NBA brand is interesting, I think what so like there's the practical level, like I think a lot of Europeans are intrigued to having the NBA brand in Europe, like they don't mind that, And it's more along the lines like will it come at the expense of the clubs that we have here right now that have played for you know, fifty sixty seventy years, Like where's that history going to go? Is that going to wash away with the NBA brand because that is not something that we want. And that is a mindset that I deeply empathize with, because that is that should be a non starter. Like but but then again, if you can maintain that history and just incorporate it, like let's say Real Madrid. Real Madrid for at least seven years have been so thirsty to become an NBA team, like they've been it's the thirst is Real Bride, like they have wanted to be an NBA seems so bad you can taste it, So like what do you do? Do You just basically say, you know what, Real Madrid, You're going to keep your entire identity and the only thing we're going to do is just slab an NBA Europe logo on your jersey and then that's sort of it's like everything else maintains and you're just part of a larger thing, but you're still your own entity. I think that would be a smarter way to approach it. But if the league comes in and basically asks them to do something different to alter their history, like, we don't know this, this is just me projecting a little bit. Sure, sure, but then that's going to go sour real quick. Like the tradition has to be maintained. There has to be a level of foundational respect, foundational respect and understanding of where the fan base is, the history of these clubs. But I think you just nailed it when you said it does feel like the league is looking more at the bottom line instead of the basketball. And if we are to one day have a conversation about Adam Silver, I think it's going to be a complicated one because I actually do like a lot of the things that he does. I do like the fact that he can be assertive. I also like the fact that he is willing to try something new, But I also have an issue with trying too much all at once. I also have too much of an issue with, you know that the financially driven ideology that sometimes overtake you know, basketball. So it's it's becoming complicated to like look at the league now, I feel compared to a few years ago, where I was a little bit more secure in knowing where the priorities were. Now it just feels very I don't want to say ghoulish, because I'm not at ghoulish, but it does feel very You know, money, money, money, all the time time, And I understand it's a business. I appreciate it's a business, but I also think if you're selling a product, you need to make sure that product is good. I can't go out and sell crap if I want to open a business, like, I want to make sure that what I sell is of the highest caliber, because then I can focus on earning money. And this NBA Europe constellation, I just I need to understand it in its entirety, and I think all fans need to understand it in its entirety for it to be sold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean to your point, like it's still relatively early stages and maybe they release their plans for this thing and everything is hunky dory, but I think right now it is fair to be skeptical about the endeavor in general, and like all of the points you brought up are completely fair. I mean, I can't I can't even imagine a US equivalent to another team, just like or another league just can take conduct a hostile takeover of I guess it'd be like if there were die hard XFL fans and then you know, the NFL came in and said, we're actually going to take over the XFL and completely change how things are done here, right, But they're obviously not diehard XL fans. So yeah, there's really no equivalent that we could compare this to. I mean, I think your point on Silver is interesting because yeah, I don't you know, you said you could be assertive and like we we have the Donald Sterling stuff. Yes, but since then I would argue he you know, yeah, David Stern was a lot tougher against teams, you know, had the tanking stuff taken off to the extent that it did, and David Stern was still in power. I don't think teams are getting away with it to the same level. You know, Like Adam Silver had a chip in his back pocket. The player participation policy allowed him to issue some pretty steep finds, and he he find the jazz and like handed out a couple of minor ones. But we did not go into you know, the like multimillion dollar finds that he easily could have. And I think you know your other point about like the ghoulish nature of or the potentially grulish nature of the NBA in recent years, I wonder how much of this is a byproduct of the franchise valuations rising so high that really, I mean, most of the people buying into the league in recent years are either venture capitalists or private equity and it feels like they're kind of just running the same private equity formula on the NBA. And you know, the term in shitification exists for a reason. I have some concern, Like, it's not a the players are incredible, the game action incredible, the finals were incredible. I'm not saying this is not a critique of the that the product.
Speaker 1: At all, Right, the encore product is good, yes.
Speaker 2: Right, But I worry that the system that the on court product exists in is becoming and shittified, in part potentially because of the types of owners that they've been bringing into the league. And I wonder if we're going to see a similar situation play out with NBA Europe as it gets off the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, overall, I'm I'm interested to see what goes on with that league, and and like I'm not I'm not disinterested in following along, like I'm going to play with with open cards here. I would love to announce those games, like I would love to call those games and and and like be a part of it in some capacity, as long as it's done responsibly, Like that's that's the whole thing. Because if the league comes in and pushes a lot of stuff out that has historic value you and thus emotional value to fans, that's a tougher selling point. But if they come in and have this respect for the established fan base, the established culture, you know what, I'll be first in line to say, all right, like gladly, I would love to call those games. That's cool, but it's I just need to see it beforehand. I really do, because I understand the skepticism and especially the whole you know, if you find a youngster somewhere and you're just not like you're just pilfering him from some local team, like I think, honestly, I need to understand also, like the trend's actional system that's put in place, like are they going to have trades? Are they going to have a draft, Like what because we don't have this over here, right, We just don't. And that's not necessarily a critique of anything, it's just a fact we don't have that in our basketball leagues. So I would be interested to understand just like how do you make transactions within in BA Europe? Like how does that hold? How does that work? Do you just buy players like things are happening right now? Do you have to draft players of a certain age? Like do you have to work with teams and you can call them up or down? Like I look to quote whoever said this to John Snow? You know nothing? John Snow, we know nothing. We have no idea, And I think at some point the league has to be a little bit more transparent in making us understand like what is actually going on and what are our intentions here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? For sure, for sure. And one we hope as they get closer to getting it off the ground and like you know, having all the ownership groups in place, we'll start to get more concrete details about it. But I mean it's what aren't they planning on starting in twenty seven?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're a year away from this and we still know basically nothing about it.
Speaker 1: That's the thing that and that was kind of my That's why I wanted to talk about it as well, because if this had been like a twenty thirty project, all right, fair enough, and like you had time, this is this is literally a year and what three months away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's nothing.
Speaker 1: That's fifteen months away.
Speaker 2: That seems like a lot to figure out in fifteen months out. Agree, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So I'm just saying, at some point the league needs to be a little bit more transparent about this. And that's not necessarily a critique of the league. It's just if you want to It's more an advice, Honestly, I should I think I framed it as too much of a criticism point instead of like advice, like if you want to get Europeans on board, don't play the US corporate We're gonna, you know, put out feelers here and there, like, just be fucking transparent about things. Because your entire league hinches interest. I would assume. I don't think the league would love to have empty stadiums, so for sure, maybe do something to make sure that people are interested. Yep, that would be nice, right, Yeah, I think so too. Well, that was it for this episode of the NBA podcast. But before we go, Brian, do you have some work that you want to pluck.
Speaker 2: Yeah. By the time this comes out, I will likely have a piece up on Forbes kind of just previewing the second Apron stuff that we talked about today and how that seems to just kind of be the center of a brewing labor battle. But also tell people to check out Bleacher Report. We just published a piece the Mount Rushmore of every city, every major US sports city since two thousand oh when it comes to athletes, and it was, let me tell you, man, like bing up with you know, working with the writer and trying to figure out who should be on each team's list was one of the most brain breaking things I've had to do in my job. Like super fun, but just agonizing to be like, oh, man, for you know, for Philly, like Joel Embiid did not make the list.
Speaker 1: For Philly that much, All right, cool?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, for for the big cities, there were a lot of very Shack is another one. Shack did not make it for La I'm just waiting for it. Well, I mean a lot of really good athletes. Yeah, but like repeat, yeah, well, it was only since two thousands, so he was only he got screwed because it was only for.
Speaker 1: It he won't he's won the first title in two thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I mean they had two more. Kobe obviously made it for La Aaron Donald who is just one of the best NFL defensive players of all time. Clayton Kershaw was a pitcher for the Dodgers who had an credible prime, and then show Hey Otani was the fourth fellout. La been been there for fewer years than Shack, so like you could argue that right now, Shack deserves it, but show Hey is just a bet on this guy is the best baseball player ever and that selection will age very well, I think. But yeah, it was that. That was the LA one was where we when we were going through this, like the ideation of it, we got to LA and we're like, yep, this is where this is a brilliant idea because if you can't get Shack on this thing.
Speaker 1: Wow, God, all right, that's interesting. Yeah, shooting my way. I'm going to read that.
Speaker 2: Question, so yeah, please please check that out. It was a long time in the making. I'm very happy it's Yeah, yeah, should and thank you for Lebron James for not announcing his decision on Wednesday and burying this which was my entire fear.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm same same season, And for everyone listening in thank you for doing so. Until we speak again, have a good one and stay safe everyone. Mm hm