Speaker 1: So if he's got some good hairs and feel, this is too good.
Speaker 2: It's not just the flat that he's one, it's the way he's played the match.
Speaker 1: That he has a candy bar and an RC coke. You are kidding me.
Speaker 2: Come on market down.
Speaker 1: And this is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Might have caught some unbelievble energy to the court with the fans and then with his player as well, and with his personality. So it was very, very refreshing to play against an appoint like.
Speaker 3: This, you know, who draws in the crowds and come with some.
Speaker 1: Great shop making. I'm not sure he can play on grass. That's that's good.
Speaker 2: Two days in a row of podcasting. They said it couldn't be done. In fact, they said, please don't do it. But we don't listen to we Marcus.
Speaker 1: No, we just we do what we want.
Speaker 2: So in case you're late to the party, here we are counting down to wimbled and the World's Great Tennis Tournament where new Marcus will be playing next week. So we're doing a little daily update and letting daylight in upon magic. Really a peak behind a curtain of how a top doubles player prepares to play one of the world's greatest sports events. Yeah exactly, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, Oh you just want an end sight of what was I thought. You're being informative there and telling people.
Speaker 2: I'm absolutely I'm a tennis coach and I'm absolutely rushed off my feet this time of year. You're here, there and everywhere preparing for your play, which is seven days away, possibly depending on your drawer, six or seven days.
Speaker 1: Six or seven yeah mm hm.
Speaker 2: And so look, we can't promise the best quality of audio right now. You're standing outside Stoke Park where you're playing an exhibition match on grass today. As part of this preparation, I've kind of managed to set up a laptop in a tiny corner of the tennis club. So it's more about like the content, and once the Grand Slam's over, we'll get back to proper podcasting regularly. So Marcus, where are you right now?
Speaker 1: Mate?
Speaker 3: I am in Stoke Park playing the Boodles events. So Stoke Park is all I know. It's it's relatively near slow, but it's in it's a very nice setting. I think someone was saying that I can't remember the name of the film, but Goldfinger has been that the place has been used to set in Goldfinger and there was one.
Speaker 1: Daniel Craig was then as well before he became Bond. Really any ideas of films are you're good at films?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty good at films. I've watched more films than I do series of stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, I feel like I'm a bit out of.
Speaker 2: The loop when there's series of this and that because don't really don't really follow that. So but films, Yeah, I'm all rver films.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's a really nice setting.
Speaker 2: And what is boodles and why because that's what's seen Stoke Park.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, exactly, So that's an event that I mean, Demon was about to play now against Poppy Rin. Players use it. It's fairly close to London, so they get a couple of matches in on the grass. It's a very nice event. A lot of nice jewelry everywhere, and yeah, players use it to get some matches in before Wimbledon, make a little bit of cash and and people love it. It was very relaxed day. So it's exhibitions. There's two sets and a match tiebreak for singles as well. But yeah, I'm going people use it to fine tune. I actually came here when I was younger because I used to train at Bisham as a hitter and that was when Vedasko and Jokovic used to play it as well, So they've had some very big names over the years. Yeah, I mean, and now they've got Marcus Willison today.
Speaker 2: So yes, sure, I mean, Helicopter's crowd control. It's all there isn't it?
Speaker 1: All the security Guadza on edge.
Speaker 2: Now yeah, well, I mean talk about your opponents today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Marthalla Aravello, number one in the world, normally plays with Pavac, but he's playing with Rohumba Para today who was.
Speaker 1: Before I can't remember which, but very experienced. It's exciting.
Speaker 3: I'm lucky. Last few weeks have been amazing. I've played the you know, defending Winmoden Champions and then played Jamie Murray and Ram the other day and now, you know, get to test my game against the best player in the world. So it's super cool for me, as you know, I'm not used to playing at this level week in week out, and the last three weeks have been pretty cool.
Speaker 1: And next week's.
Speaker 2: Well yeah quite what's Look, it's an exhibition, so I presume these guys aren't kind of full out or are they?
Speaker 1: No, it depends who you play.
Speaker 3: Like I played singles years ago and I played you know, I've played guys that go full out, and I've played Malek's Deery and we had a bit of fun. But you know, people you're not dying to win, but you're wanting to play well, you know before wimble and so it will be they'll be trying to perform well whilst having a bit of fun. But no, I don't think they're going to be diving for balls at you know, nine or on a tie break, but yeah, it will be.
Speaker 1: It depends how the guys want to play. You pick up a vibe pretty early on.
Speaker 3: But obviously it's not going to be you know, hitting tween the serves and mans or barami stuff. Now you lay there and trying to play well but also trying to make it fun for the crowd as well.
Speaker 2: So what's the big difference you said about these top top players, and that I mean both former world number one, current world number one, four Grand Slam titles between him, forty ATP doubles titles between him. What's the big difference between them and the folks that you're playing on a week in, week out.
Speaker 3: Basis difference I've the biggest difference I've felt so far is when they're both up at the net establishers. You know, the court feels very small and they they don't really miss many volleys. Jamie Murray's follies and rams dollies were incredible, I thought the other day, you know, they don't they don't really miss them. Even if you throw a kitchen stink of them, they'll put it back in an awkward position. So you know, once once top doubles payers are established at the nets, very hard to get round and over them. But no, I think in doubles as are a lot closer the levels than singles, you know. As you know, I can play someone three or four hundred in the world and doubles and lose the match. In a couple of weeks ago, he beat the tenth best player in the world, you know, in the race this year. So and I'm not a different player, you know, obviously, I think everyone say as well at this level as well. But the biggest, the biggest different once are established of the nets, it's very tricky to get the ball around them, and they put you know, Bolli's an awkward spots blown off the court the last few weeks, but again it's graph as well. So I think you go and play granoidas and and the clay, I think I'd have a very different answer.
Speaker 2: Sure. Yeah, well, I mean, do you go into something like today with an idea of fine tuning, refining or practicing something that you see as an important part of your performance at Wimbledon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the perfect time for me to work on things, you know, maybe hit over a few more returns than then I'm used to try and find some sort of rhythm there, you know, try a couple of serfs.
Speaker 1: You know that I normally wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Just just go go for things and see where my kind of limits there are. Right now, it's a perfect opportunity to do it here and just try and find rhythm in my game. And you know, see what what see what? See what feels good right now and what doesn't.
Speaker 2: That kind of leads me on to practice a little bit. When you see doubles at the level you're playing, is serv and volley is so prominent, isn't it serving and being good at the net as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Volume, But like what is that like the main focus of your practice and practices.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot of what I'm working on now is movement as a service partner and returners partner, trying to you know, become you know, like a top doubles furcause once your partner makes a return, you've got to be trying to make noise or getting your opponents visuals a little bit. So a lot of what I do is is actually looking at how these guys move and practicing that in the court. Obviously understone to keep working on the surf, but there's there's kind of a limit of how many I can do. Obviously, I'm had had an elbow problem a couple of years ago, so it's over tie your arm and get yourself injured by over wrapping serfs. So it's about fine tuning the shots and and yeah, working on your movement and timing of your movement as well.
Speaker 2: Following from yesterday's podcast, we've had a question from Craig who says, how important is Wimbledon to you in terms of ranking points and income? It'd just say to you, So I presume that wasn't aimed.
Speaker 1: At me, No guest thing it's aimed at me. I don't know.
Speaker 2: No, but in terms of my income is terrible because I go as a punter and buy a PIMS which you can pay off in nine easily monthly installments, so you.
Speaker 3: Can you can, yeah if you just get one. Yeah, look it's important, but it's yeah, there's there's there's more money at Grand Slams than there are in other tournaments.
Speaker 1: First round, it's it's like Queens.
Speaker 3: If you win the first round, you get ninety points. It's very similar to Queens, but sort of doubles as you get through the round. So yeah, look at it's massive if I can win around at wimbled and it jumps me up of it. But it's not, you know, not until you're in the court of Semis finals where it starts getting life changing. But it's just playing at Wimbledon's, you know, a massive success for me. This past year has been quite difficult, so just being there is great, and I'll try and treat it like any other match. It sounds stupid, I know it's not, but I'll try and stay calm and get fired up and enjoy the experience and that's when I'll play my best tennis and not too much about thinking about point some prize money for the next round, because then you take your off the game and you know it's good to be there. I've got a good opportunity. I don't know the drawer yet, but just take it one day at a time. But yeah, no, it's important if you can do where that ground slams it obviously financially it's a lot better, and points wise it's much better as well.
Speaker 2: Because there's a cutoff, isn't there With the doubles, there's a number that you're trying to reach where you get automatic entry into Masters and slams.
Speaker 1: Seventy five in the world as the target. I got to eighty one.
Speaker 3: Last year, and yeah, exactly, seventy five is where you need to be to be in the main rule of slams. And then if you want to be in the Master's thousands, you've gotta be top thirty, so there's different jumps. And then if you want to be needed in the Masters, you have to be top ten, top twenty. So yeah, there's there's loads of different jumps, loads of different things to focus on. But my next goal is my next you know, my match at wimbledone next week, and then trying even proving and yeah, this is the prize.
Speaker 1: Money is is great.
Speaker 3: I can invest in some coaching because you know, I've got to where I've got by myself pretty much. Obviously, I've had financial support, very kindly of financial support, but I've not been able to, you know, get a coach, and I feel like I've plateaued there. So I feel like I've got a lot to improve. So that's that's where I'll be looking to spend some money there on getting getting a top doubles coaching and see where my game goes after that.
Speaker 2: It's just it's so fascinating. I mean, how hard is tennis like? When I speak to you and there's someone of your ability and credibility you are very flippant about, you know, I just concentrate one match at a time and stuff like that. Normal people like me and probably nearly every single one of the listeners, it's going to be like we wouldn't sleep now, right, we'd be heaving and just shaking. But also just how tough is tennis like to be one of the best in the world at what you do and having to make decisions around can I get a coach? It's just ridiculous. If you were the one hundredth best left back in football, you'd have a solid gold yacht.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just I mean, it is the way it is.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, it's kind of and it's the choice I make, you know, and my whole family has made. You know, when I was younger, it's I don't have to do it, but I just I love playing tennis and it's not something I can do in twenty yeth time. So it's it's one of those things that you know, if you want to make if you want to make money.
Speaker 1: Then I could do other things.
Speaker 3: But if I can do it whilst whilst playing the sport I love, then you know, what a great life.
Speaker 1: So no, it is hard. It's very hard.
Speaker 3: And like as you know, some months are pretty tough when you can't pick up wins and you're traveling around the world and you're tired and away from the family, and you do think what's the point sometimes, But that's why I take it very much. Twenty four hours at a time that seems to work.
Speaker 2: So it's twenty past two as we record on the twenty sixth of June. What are you doing now? When are you on court? What's your little routine before you go on.
Speaker 3: Not before five, so it's different. I'll do the same physical warm up that I'll do at a tournament, just because I'm old Dave.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to get injured.
Speaker 3: Have a light hit, warmer shots up, but there's not going to be any specifics I work on today before the match. Just just warm up all the shots, all your strokes, make sure my shoulders firing, and go out there probably around five half five because demon All's playing first against Poppy and there's another match after and then it's us, so I'll probably hit around three point thirty or four and then yeah, go out there and have fun, see what happens. But it's quite nice that you can go and challenge yourself and you don't you know, there's no results on the line, there's no points on the line.
Speaker 1: You can just go. You know.
Speaker 3: It's the perfect thing to do for me before wimbledinness, go and see where I'm at.
Speaker 2: Best of luck, mate. I can't wait to catch up tomorrow and find out how it went and what we learned, and yeah, just hear about what it is like playing the current world number one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it.