Speaker 1: So I want you to do something for me, just like, look at a calendar, right, go ahead, glance at your phone or you know, check your watch, look at the bottom corner of your screen, and just look at the year.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now I want you to ask yourself a deeply uncomfortable, like a genuinely mind bending question. How do you actually definitively know what year it is?
Speaker 2: Oh? That is a heavy way to start.
Speaker 1: I mean, really think about it. And I don't mean like who told you or what the general societal consensus is. I mean, how do you know the age of the.
Speaker 2: Earth right, or the stars exactly.
Speaker 1: The history of the stars, the centuries of human civilization that supposedly led up to this exact, hyper specific moment. How do you know they actually happened.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the ultimate cognitive trapdoor, Honestly, it really is, because when you really interrogate that question, you start to realize that every single piece of evidence you would use to prove the passage of time, like fossils, yeah, a carbonated fossil in a museum, or a geological rock layer in the Grand Canyon, even the cosmic microwave background radiation leftover from the Big Bang or even just your own vivid memories of what you ate for breakfast yesterday. All of it is just information, just data exactly. It is data that your brain is processing right now in this immediate present moment. You don't actually experience the past. You only ever experience the present reading of a record that.
Speaker 1: Is just wow. Okay, well, welcome to Thrilling Threads.
Speaker 2: Everyone glad to be here.
Speaker 1: This is the space where we take a stack of the most fascinating sources, research papers, and theories, and we just extract the most profound insights. We are your personal guides through like the most mind bending concepts out there.
Speaker 2: We really are pulling on some major threads today.
Speaker 1: We are today we were taking a thrilling thread and pulling on it until the very fabric of reality itself might just completely unravel. Literally, we are diving headfirst into simulation theory. But like we are setting aside the tired pop culture troopes.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, no leather trench coats today, right, We.
Speaker 1: Aren't talking about wearing sunglasses and dodging slow motion bullets. We are looking at this through the rigorous logic of modern philosophy.
Speaker 2: And rapidly advancing computational physics.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the fundamental, often bizarre laws of quantum mechanics. We are synthesizing some really heavy hitting material today.
Speaker 2: We've got a lot of ground to cover.
Speaker 1: We primarily leaned on Nick Bostrom's seminal paper from Simulation argument dot Com, David chalmers brilliant book Reality plus E, and some incredibly compelling theories about our cosmic origins.
Speaker 2: It is a staggering topic. I mean, it really requires us to abandon our baseline assumptions about what actually constitutes a physical object completely because simulation theory has completely migrated out of the the late night dorm room hypothetical.
Speaker 1: Fa Oh, for sure, it's mainstream now.
Speaker 2: When you have major figures in aerospace engineering publicly stating that the odds of us being in base reality are.
Speaker 1: One in billions, like Elon Musk right right.
Speaker 2: Or mainstream astrophysicists like Neil Degrass Tyson putting the odds at a clean coin toss. We have to look at the underlying.
Speaker 1: Mass, we really do.
Speaker 2: We have to look at the logical frameworks and the quantum physics that lead incredibly smart, grounded people to say that this universe looks suspiciously like a rendering engine.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's unpack this. I want to ground this in a feeling first, a deeply visceral experience that I think almost everyone listening has probably had.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: You know that surreal sensation of waking up from a hyperrealistic dream. Oh man, Yes, where for a few terrifying, completely disorienting seconds, you're lying there in the dark and your brain is desperately trying to reconcile two completely conflicting realities because.
Speaker 2: The dream felt completely.
Speaker 1: Real exactly in the dream, you had a whole life, You had an urgent mission, you felt the emotional stakes, you had a full history with the people in the dream.
Speaker 2: Your brain was just generating at.
Speaker 1: All, generating the whole world on the fly, rendering the physics, the lighting, the emotional weight, all while your physical body was just paralyzed in a bed.
Speaker 2: It is wild when you think about what the brain can do.
Speaker 1: Right, So let's bridge that neurological phenomenon to the ultimate thought experiment. What if all of human history, the thirteen point eight billion year age of the cosmos, your childhood traumas, your joys, Yeah, all of it what if it was simply preloaded data in a program running right now? What if you are inside the dream and something else is running the code.
Speaker 2: Well, to even begin answering that, we really have to look at the architecture of the argument itself.
Speaker 1: Right, Nick Bostrom.
Speaker 2: Yes, the philosopher who structured the modern version of this debate is Nick Bostrom. Back in two thousand and three, he published a paper that completely shifted the paradigm of existential philosophy.
Speaker 1: It really made waves.
Speaker 2: David Pierce, who is a prominent philosopher of mind, actually called Bostrom's paper the first interesting argument for the existence of a creator in two thousand years.
Speaker 1: That is a massive statement.
Speaker 2: It is because Bostrom didn't just pose a fun what is He presented a trilemma.
Speaker 1: A trilemma meaning three options.
Speaker 2: Exactly, a mathematical and logical proof stating that one of three highly specific scenarios absolutely must be true about the trajectory of life in the universe, and there is no fourth option. Right, correct, there is no fourth option.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's walk through those three options, because I know they form the absolute bedrock of everything we are going to explore today. Let's make sure everyone listening is on the exact same page.
Speaker 2: Sounds good. So Option one proposes that civilizations like ours, you know, technological expanding species almost always destroy themselves.
Speaker 1: Before they reach a point where they can build the simulation.
Speaker 2: Exactly, before they reach a stage of technological maturity capable of running realistic simulations of their ancestors.
Speaker 1: This sounds very much like the great filter concept.
Speaker 2: It is deeply tied to the Fermi paradox and the concept of the Great filter. The idea is that the universe is.
Speaker 1: Just full of traps, like what kind of traps?
Speaker 2: Well, we invent nuclear weapons and annihilate ourselves. Classic or we create artificial superintelligence that decides we are a threat.
Speaker 1: And wipes this out a little more modern, Yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Trigger irreversible climbing collapse, right, Or maybe we engineer a localized black hole and a particle accelerator by accident.
Speaker 1: Yikes. Okay, so basically we blow up the lab before we can build the matrix exactly.
Speaker 2: Whatever the specific mominism is, the result is the same. The species goes extinct before they acquire the computational power required to simulate reality.
Speaker 1: Okay. Option one is the existential doom scenario.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 1: What is option two?
Speaker 2: So option two suggests that a civilization does manage to navigate the great filter, they survive, they expand, and they reach that incredibly advanced post human technological level.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they lived. That's good.
Speaker 2: It is good, But for whatever reason, they have absolutely zero interest in running simulations of their evolutionary past.
Speaker 1: Wait, really zero interest.
Speaker 2: That's the argument. They possess that godlike computing power to do it, but they actively choose not to.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't they want to?
Speaker 2: Well, perhaps it is considered deeply unethical to create simulated beings that can suffer. You know, they see our pain and say we shouldn't recreate that. Or perhaps they've evolved so far beyond their biological origins that our primitive struggles are just profoundly boring to them.
Speaker 1: Boring. Okay, I have some thoughts on that, but let's hear the final option first. If neither of those first two options.
Speaker 2: Are true, then we arrive at option three, the big one. Option three states that if civilizations survive, and if they retain an interest in simulating their past, then we are almost certainly living in a simulation right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to stop right there and put option three under a microscope, because a listener might hear that and think, Okay, sure, maybe simulations exist in the future, but why does that mean we are in one? Why couldn't we just be the lucky biological civilization currently living in the real base reality, grinding our way toward that superfuture.
Speaker 2: That is the most natural objection, but it crumbles when you apply the sheer mathematics of computing power and scale.
Speaker 1: Break that down.
Speaker 2: For me to understand Bostrom's logic, we have to imagine the computational capacity of a technologically mature, post human civilization. We aren't talking about, you know, quantum computers sitting in the server farm in.
Speaker 1: Silicon Valley, right, It's bigger than that.
Speaker 2: We are talking about megastructures. Consider the concept of a Matrioshka brain.
Speaker 1: I've heard of Dyson spheres. Is it like that?
Speaker 2: Very similar? It's a hypothetical computational megastructure that relies on a Dyson sphere architecture. You completely enclose a star or maybe even multiple stars with layers of computational substrate.
Speaker 1: So you're literally caging a sun.
Speaker 2: Yes, you are harvesting the entire energy output of a star, capturing every single photon to power a planetary sized computer.
Speaker 1: That is insane to even visualize.
Speaker 2: The inner layers run a blisteringly high ten temperatures, and the waste heat powers the next layer out and.
Speaker 1: The next layer until it's all used up.
Speaker 2: Exactly until the outermost layer is radiating heat at the background temperature of space.
Speaker 1: So you essentially turn an entire solar system into a single CPU.
Speaker 2: Precisely the scale we are talking about now. If a civilization with a matriosh Cabrain decides to run ancestor simulations.
Speaker 1: Which means simulations of us.
Speaker 2: Yes, simulations of the turbulent biological era of their own history, which is exactly what our current existence represents. If they do that, they wouldn't just spin up one single.
Speaker 1: Instance because they have all that power.
Speaker 2: The computational cost would be a rounding error to them. They could run millions, billions, or even trillions of highly detailed simulations simultaneously. Wow, they would run variations. What if the metior missed the Yucatan Peninsula and dinosaurs never died out?
Speaker 1: Oh, I played that game right?
Speaker 2: Or what if the Roman Empire industrialized? What if a specific political leader was.
Speaker 1: Never born, So it's basically a numbers game.
Speaker 2: It is entirely a numbers game. If an advance ofization creates billions of simulated universes for every single base reality universe that naturally exists, then the number of simulated conscious minds would vastly outnumber original biological minds.
Speaker 1: By an astronomical margin.
Speaker 2: That almost incomprehensible margin. Statistically, if you put all the conscious minds that have ever existed, across all realities, biological and simulated, into a giant cosmic lottery machine and you pull one.
Speaker 1: Out at random, the odds that you pull out the singular original biological mind from base reality is basically.
Speaker 2: Zero, effectively zero. You're almost certainly pulling a simulated one.
Speaker 1: It's like standing on a beach that stretches across the entire globe, picking up a single grain of sand and betting your life that it's the one grain of sand that isn't made of silica.
Speaker 2: That is a perfect analogy. Exactly so Bostrom's logic forces our hand. If civilizations don't always die, and if they like simulating things, you are a simulated mind.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I have to push back hard on option too, the apathy option. Yes, this idea that a super advanced civilization might survive but just lose interest in their past, that they would find it unethical or boring. Does that actually track with anything we know about the nature of intelligence.
Speaker 2: It's a heavily debated point.
Speaker 1: Because look at human behavior right now. We are absolutely obsessed with recreating our history.
Speaker 2: We really are.
Speaker 1: We build massive, sprawling, open world video games with budgets larger than Hollywood movies just so we can walk around a rendering of Renaissance Italy or ancient Greece or the Wild West. We pour billions of dollars into historical dramas, immersive virtual reality experiences, even physical historical reenactments. Our entire entertainment infrastructure is largely predicated on simulating realities we didn't get to live in.
Speaker 2: That is a very fair point.
Speaker 1: If humanity eventually possessed the power to spin up a fully conscious universe just to watch history unfold or to experience it firsthand, I cannot fathom a scenario where we collectively decide not to do it.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't just do it, we'd probably commercialize it exactly.
Speaker 1: We would have teenagers running pocket universes on the futuristic equivalent of a smartphone.
Speaker 2: The psychology of option two is tricky for exactly that reason. To assume a post human civilization would completely shed all curiosity about their origins, it requires us to imagine a psychological shift so massive that they cease to be recognizable as descendants.
Speaker 1: Of humanity, right because curiosity built us.
Speaker 2: Curiosity and the drive to model the world are the evolutionary traits that built our civilization in the first place. Now, some philosophers do argue that creating conscious beings that can suffer just for an experiment is highly immoral, which is true, and therefore an advanced species wouldn't do it. But that assumes ethical progress perfectly tracks with technological progress.
Speaker 1: And human history completely refutes that.
Speaker 2: Demonstrably, we build the technology first, and we argue about the ethics decades later.
Speaker 1: Seriously, look at social media, look at AI right now. Exactly So, if option one complete cosmic doom is avoidable, and if Option two total apathy toward our origins contradicts the very nature of conscious curiosity.
Speaker 2: Then we are left staring straight down the barrel of option three.
Speaker 1: We are inside the machine.
Speaker 2: Which means we are forced to ask the next logical question, if we are inside a simulation, how good is the simulation?
Speaker 1: And more importantly, can we look for the seams in the code?
Speaker 2: Yes, if you want to know if you're in a rendered environment, you don't look at the trees, you look at the pixel.
Speaker 1: You look at for the boundaries exactly.
Speaker 2: And perhaps the most intuitive way to approach this is to look at the trajectory of our own technology. How close are we to building a simulation that can fool a conscious mind?
Speaker 1: And the answer is terrifyingly close.
Speaker 2: The gap between base reality and our simulated realities is closing at an exponential rate. Let's just look at the timeline. Okay, Forty years ago, the absolute pinnacle of simulated reality was two glowing white rectangles bouncing a square dot across a black screen.
Speaker 1: Pong, good old pong.
Speaker 2: Right. It required immense imagination on the part of the player to map that onto physical reality. But today we have unreal engine five.
Speaker 1: Oh man, it is why.
Speaker 2: We have environments that are entirely photorealistic. We have real time path tracing.
Speaker 1: Which means what exactly For the non gamers, it.
Speaker 2: Means the physics engine isn't just faking the lighting. It is calculating the exact trajectory of simulated photons as they bounce off a textured puddle of water and refract through a dirty glass window in real time. In real time, at sixty frames per second.
Speaker 1: I can actually speak to this on a deeply visceral level. Yeah. So, I recently had a chance to try one of those really high end enterprise level VR.
Speaker 2: Headsets, the really expensive ones.
Speaker 1: Right, The resolution was so high the screen door effect was just entirely gone. They loaded me into a program where the environment was a skyscraper.
Speaker 2: I think, I know where this is going.
Speaker 1: The elevator doors open and there was this wooden plank sticking out over a thousand foot drop to the city streets below.
Speaker 2: The plank experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, my prefrombal cortex, my logical brain was fully aware that I was standing barefoot on a carpeted floor in a windowless room. I knew it as a factual.
Speaker 2: Certainty, but your body disagreed.
Speaker 1: The moment I stepped toward the edge of that virtual plank, my biological hardware completely overrode my logic. The visual input of the height, the special audio of the wind, rushing past my ears the slight sway of the rendered environment. It literally hijacked my nervous system.
Speaker 2: You get vertigo.
Speaker 1: I experienced profound vertigo. My heart rates skyrocketed, my palms were sweating profusely, and my legs actually locked up. I physically could not force myself to step off the virtual plank. My brain had just accepted the simulated input as a primary survival reality.
Speaker 2: That biological override is the crucial detail here. Your brain, which evolved over millions of years to process physical reality, was completely fooled by visual and auditory data generated by a consumer grade processor in.
Speaker 1: The year twenty twenty six exactly.
Speaker 2: Now, apply More's law to that, or even just a conservative fraction of it, extrapolate our current technological growth out a thousand years.
Speaker 1: For one hundred thousand years, a.
Speaker 2: Civilization a million years ahead of us would possess commutational paradigms. We literally do not have the physics to conceptualize, right.
Speaker 1: Because imagine trying to explain the Internet to a medieval farmer in.
Speaker 2: The year fourteen hundred. Explaining cloud computing and large language models would be impossible. We just register as magic to them.
Speaker 1: So to us a Matrioshka Brian. Running a universe seems like magic.
Speaker 2: But logically it is just an engineering problem. On a long enough timeline, we are already building the rudimentary scaffolding of the matrix.
Speaker 1: So if we accept that we are already building these rudimentary simulations, then we actually have an incredible advantage here.
Speaker 2: We know how they work exactly.
Speaker 1: We know the architecture. We know the tricks, the shortcuts, and the mechanics that developers use to manage complex systems and keep players engaged.
Speaker 2: We just have to look for them.
Speaker 1: Right. If our universe is a simulation, it's fundamental architecture, like the broad sweep of human history, the behavior of society at a macro level, it shouldn't look random. It should look suspeciously like the games we currently play. It should look managed, and we.
Speaker 2: Can actually shift this from abstract philosophy into observable patterns.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: In the architecture of massive multiplayer online games. You know, persistent worlds that host millions of players. Developers face a systemic problem.
Speaker 1: What happens when they just let it run.
Speaker 2: If you just let the game run endlessly without intervention, the system stagnates, wealth concentrates at the very top. New players literally can't compete, the environment is stripped of resources, and the narrative just stalls.
Speaker 1: They have to intervene.
Speaker 2: To fix this, developers utilize a mechanic called seasons or server.
Speaker 1: Resets, like in Fortnite or Diablo.
Speaker 2: Exactly at the end of a predefined period, the developers introduce m massive unavoidable in game.
Speaker 1: Cataclysm, a giant event.
Speaker 2: The map is physically altered, the economic rules change, players lose their hoarded advantages, and a new version of the game launches with tweaked parameters to keep the system dynamic.
Speaker 1: A hard wipe you level the playing field, introduce new mechanics and force the players to adapt. So how does that map onto our actual human history.
Speaker 2: Well, when you view the geological and archaeological records through the lens of simulation theory, human history is punctuated by massive, sudden, and largely inexplicable cataclysms.
Speaker 1: That function exactly like server resets.
Speaker 2: Let's look at the younger Driest impact hypothesis. Roughly twelve nine hundred years ago, we have evidence of a massive, sudden climatic shift temperatures plummeted globally in a matter of decades. Megafauna, the massive mammals that dominated the landscape, were wiped.
Speaker 1: Out, so the available resources completely changed.
Speaker 2: Quman populations were dractically reduced, and the trajectory of early civilization was fundamentally direct.
Speaker 1: It's the ultimate the map has changed. Good luck scenario. But it gets even more specific when you look at the Bronze Age collapse, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh, The Late Bronze Age collapse is perhaps the most perfect historical analog for a corrupted save file or a cascading server failure. What happened around twelve hundred BCE. The Mediterranean was actually highly globalized. You had the Egyptians, the Hittites, the Mycenians. They had incredibly complex, interdependent trade routes spanning thousands.
Speaker 1: Of miles, exchanging ten copper agricultural goods.
Speaker 2: And advanced writing systems and complex bureaucracies. And then within a window of perhaps fifty years, which was a blink of an eye historically, it all violently crumbled, just collapse. Entire empires, felt major cities were burned to the ground and abandoned. The trade routes vanished, the Mycenis literally forgot how to read and write.
Speaker 1: Wait, they forgot their own language.
Speaker 2: Their script linear b was lost, plunging the region into a dark age. Historians debate the exact cause. You know, drought, earthquakes, the mysterious invasion of the sea people's.
Speaker 1: Right, I've heard of them.
Speaker 2: But the systemic nature of the collapse, where everything failed simultaneously, it looks remarkably like a complex simulation crashing due to interdependent variable overload.
Speaker 1: I want to bring up the Toba supereruption too, because that feels like a literal patch to the actual code of humanity.
Speaker 2: Yes, seventy four thousand years ago, right in.
Speaker 1: Present day Indonesia. It was one of the largest volcanic eruptions in the last two million years. It ejected so much ash and sulfur into the atmosphere that it caused a volcanic winter.
Speaker 2: Blocked out the sun. Global temperatures plummeted.
Speaker 1: But the fascinating part to me isn't just the geology. It's the genetics. Geneticists look at the mutation rates in human DNA and they see a severe bottleneck. Right around that exact.
Speaker 2: Time, population crashed.
Speaker 1: The global human population was reduced to a staggering degree. Estimates suggests we were down to perhaps just ten thousand breeding individuals on the entire planet.
Speaker 2: Wait, on the whole planet, Yes.
Speaker 1: Breeding individuals. That's like the size of a small town.
Speaker 2: In the context of a simulation. A genetic bottleneck of that magnitude is profound. It's not just a natural disaster, it is a systemic culling. Exact, those ten thousand survivors were the foundational seed for a new iteration of the human software. The board was cleared, the available resources were drastically altered by the new climate, and a heavily refined, smaller player base was allowed to repopulate the new map.
Speaker 1: Season two began Season.
Speaker 2: Two and the developers could watch how this specific genetic subset adapted to a newly hostile environment.
Speaker 1: But you know, resets don't always have to be extinction level events. If we're looking at game mechanics, developers also use global events to pull players together, to force.
Speaker 2: Interaction to keep the network active.
Speaker 1: Right, If you have players scattered all over the map doing their own thing, the system loses cohesion. So you drop an event that affects everyone simultaneously.
Speaker 2: Exactly wars, global economic depressions, pandemics. These are the macro variables injected into the simulation. Consider how a modern pandemic functions systemically. It doesn't matter if you are a corporate executive in a high rise in Tokyo or a farmer in a rural village in France.
Speaker 1: You are dealing with the exact same thing.
Speaker 2: Suddenly a new variable is introduced into the environment that overrides all local programming. You are locked into the exact same global narrative. You have no choice but to engage with the new mechanics.
Speaker 1: Lockdowns, supply chain failures, inflation.
Speaker 2: Travel restrictions. Yeah, the developers forced the entire player base to react to the same stimulus simultaneously to observe the societal adaptations.
Speaker 1: And it's fascinating to look at how ancient cultures try to articulate these sudden global shifts because they didn't have the vocabulary of computer science, so they used the vocabulary of theology.
Speaker 2: Almost uniformly across agent traditions. The gods operate exactly like system administrators.
Speaker 1: Or game developers.
Speaker 2: They reside outside the physical environment on Mount Olympus in the heavens, in a higher realm. They have a massive dashboard of controls. They observe the simulation, and occasionally they intervene.
Speaker 1: They cause a great flood, they start a war between nations.
Speaker 2: Or they grant a technological boon like fire. But crucially, the gods are not subject to the physical laws they.
Speaker 1: Create, right, they don't get hurt by the fire.
Speaker 2: They don't have a biological avatar that can permanently die in the physics engine. They possess admin trivileges.
Speaker 1: That makes total sense for the big stuff, the wars and the floods. But what about the weird stuff. The weird stuff, Yeah, what about the cultural phenomena that just defy all logic, Because in modern gaming it's not all doing gloom. Developers constantly drop micro content, seasonal items, or weird mini games just to keep players logging in.
Speaker 2: You're talking about engagement metrics. If you are in intelligence running a complex simulation of a society, you need real time data on how the network process is in in you need to know how the nodes, which is us, communicate.
Speaker 1: What captures our collective attention right, and.
Speaker 2: The exact velocity at which an idea can propagate across the globe.
Speaker 1: So you drop something totally absurd into the environment and track it. I am thinking about viral trends here. Look at the summer of twenty sixteen with Pokemon go Oh.
Speaker 2: That was surreal.
Speaker 1: For two months, the entire planets suffered a collective hallucination. You had millions of people walking blindly into traffic, congregating in random public parks at midnight, staring through their screens to interact with digital creatures that didn't exist.
Speaker 2: It was a global shift in behavior.
Speaker 1: Or the fidget spinner craze or the ice bucket challenge, or when NFTs suddenly convinced the world that a jpeg of a bared ape was worth half a million.
Speaker 2: Dollars, That one is still hard to explain.
Speaker 1: Or that specific flows dance from Fortnite. Suddenly every single child across completely different countries, languages, and cultures was doing the exact same physical movement simultaneously.
Speaker 2: When you analyze those tracks, they do not behave like organic cultural evolution, No they don't. They achieve total instantaneous saturation in a hyper specific window of time, and then they vanish just as violently, almost as if the code for that trend was deprecated by the developers. Yes, they function as stress tests for the societal network. Someone or some system is reading the analytics. They are measuring the viral coefficient of a fidget spinner to understand human mimicry.
Speaker 1: They are tracking the spread of a digital dance to map our social connectivity.
Speaker 2: It is a low stakes variable introduced specifically to generate engagement data.
Speaker 1: Here's where it gets really interesting because I fell for all of it. I dump ice water on my head, I bought a fidget spinner. I was literally tracking a charizard through my neighbor's yard.
Speaker 2: You were highly engaged user.
Speaker 1: I was generating data for the developers. But this leads to a really dark, uncomfortable corner of the theory. If we are talking about player engagement, we have to talk about the nature of the players themselves.
Speaker 2: This is where it gets heavy.
Speaker 1: In any game, the world is populated by two distinct types of entities. You have the player characters, the avatars that are being driven by a conscious mind with genuine agency outside the game right and then filling out the world to make it feel alive. You have the NPCs, the non player characters.
Speaker 2: The philosophical equivalent of the NPC is the philosophical.
Speaker 1: Zombie a zombie like brain did no.
Speaker 2: Not quite. It's the concept deeply explored by David Chalmers. A philosophical zombie is a being that is biologically and physically identical to a normal human. Okay, they talk, they laugh, they flinch when they touch a hot stove, they cry. It sad movies, But there is no internal experience. Wait, really, there is no conscious awareness behind the eyes. They are running entirely on pre written scripts and biological algorithms.
Speaker 1: Like advanced AI in a game.
Speaker 2: Exactly in a simulation, rendering eight billion fully conscious, independent minds might be computationally inefficient.
Speaker 1: It would take much ram.
Speaker 2: It is much easier to fully render a smaller subset of true player characters and populate the rest of the world with advanced NPCs that react perfectly to their environment but don't actually experience it.
Speaker 1: That is the ultimate existential dread right there, solipsism on steroids. You walk down a crowded street in Manhattan and you have to wonder how many of the people rushing past you are actually experiencing life and how many are just background processing meant to make your simulation feel crowded.
Speaker 2: It forces a mirror onto the listener. It forces you to critically examine your own daily life.
Speaker 1: Am I an NPC?
Speaker 2: We'll think about it when you wake up, drink your coffee, sit in traffic on your commute, perform your repetitive tasks at work, drive home, scroll through endless algorithm feeds on your phone, and go to sleep, only to do it again the next day.
Speaker 1: Are you actually exercising free will exactly?
Speaker 2: Are you making unscripted choices with genuine agency or are you simply executing a behavioral loop based on environmental stimuli, societal programming, and biological imperative.
Speaker 1: If you are living on autopilot, how do you prove even to yourself that you aren't an NPC? Okay, I need to step away from the existential terror of being an NPC before I have a panic attack. Fair enough, Let's pivot from the software mechanics of culture and history and let's look at the actual hardware. Let's look under the hood of reality. Because if the universe is a simulation, the physics of our universe shouldn't just be a set of natural laws, right.
Speaker 2: It should look like code.
Speaker 1: Physics should look like the limitations of a rendering engine. It should look like computational architecture.
Speaker 2: And this is where the simulation hypothesis finds its strongest empirical evidence. Physics looks profoundly like computation. Okay, break that down to understand why, we have to look at how computers handle space and memory. Let's start with the resolution limit.
Speaker 1: Like pixels on a screen.
Speaker 2: Exactly, if you open a high resolution digital image on your computer, it looks perfectly smooth. The curves are continuous, the gradients are flawless. But if he keeps booming in, eventually that illusion breaks down.
Speaker 1: You hit the squares.
Speaker 2: You hit a hard physical limit. The pixel the fundamental unit of the image. You cannot zoom in to see what is inside a pixel because below that level of magnification the image literally does not exist. It is mathematically undefined by the software.
Speaker 1: Right, the screen can only draw squares so small there is a fundamental grid.
Speaker 2: Physical reality has the exact same grid. It is called the plank length. The plank length, yes, it is roughly one point six times ten to the power of negative thirty five.
Speaker 1: Meters, which is how small.
Speaker 2: To put that in perspective, if a single atom were the size of the entire visible universe. The plank length would be the size of an average tree.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that is unimaginably small.
Speaker 2: It is, but it is not just a small measurement. It is a fundamental property of space time. In physics, space is not a continuous, infinitely divisible sheet. It is quantized, meaning it comes in chunks. Yes, when physicists try to use the equations of general relativity and quantum mechanics to describe a distance smaller than the plank length, the math completely shatters.
Speaker 1: It just stops working.
Speaker 2: You get infinities, you get paradoxes. The universe returns the equivalent of a divide by zero error, the laws of physics cease to function. The plank length is the absolute hard limit on the rendering engine of reality is the literal pixel of the universe.
Speaker 1: So we are moving through a three dimensional grid of pixels. That is staggering. But if we're talking about rendering engines and memory conservation, we have to talk about the double slit experiment.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, the classic.
Speaker 1: To me, this is the smoking gun. This is the moment quantum physics stops sounding like science and starts sounding like a software developer trying to save ram.
Speaker 2: The double slit experiment is the bedrock of quantum strangeness, and it directly implies that the universe only renders what is being observed.
Speaker 1: Explain how it works for the listeners who might be rusty on their quantum mechanics.
Speaker 2: Sure, In the basic version of the experiment, you fire subatomic particles like photon of light or individual electrons through a physical barrier that has two tiny parallel slits in.
Speaker 1: It, like shooting a paintball through a fence.
Speaker 2: Right, But when you don't measure which slit the particle goes through, something impossible happens. A single particle passes through both slits simultaneously.
Speaker 1: Wait, one particle goes through two holes at once.
Speaker 2: Yes, it interferes with itself and creates a wavelike interference pattern multiple overlapping bands on the detector wall behind the barrier. It behaves as a wave of pure probability, existing in multiple states at once.
Speaker 1: But the moment you decide to watch it, the moment you place a measuring device at the slits to record exactly which hole the particle travels through, the.
Speaker 2: Universe changes its behavior. The wave function instantly.
Speaker 1: Collapses just because you looked at it exactly.
Speaker 2: The particle stops acting like a diffuse wave of probabilities and suddenly acts like a solid localized bullet, passing through only one slit and creating two distinct solid bands on the back wall. The simple act of observation, the extraction of information from the system, retroactively changes the physical nature of the particle.
Speaker 1: I always compare this to a specific technique in video game design called frustum culling.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy.
Speaker 1: If you are playing a massive open world game like Grand Theft, Auto or Skyrim, the computer's processor is working incredibly hard to render the enemies, the lighting, the trees, and the textures right in front of your camera.
Speaker 2: View right whatever you're looking at.
Speaker 1: But what is happening behind your character. The computer is not wasting precious processing power rendering a beautifully detailed mountain range or a bustling city street behind your back. If you aren't looking at it, it would fry the processor exactly. That mountain range behind you doesn't exist as solid geometry. It exists only as a wireframe, a set of probabilities and coordinates in the computer's memory. But the absolute millisecond you turn your character around with the joystick to look.
Speaker 2: The computer is forced to instantly render that wireframe into solid textures.
Speaker 1: Frustum culling is the perfect conceptual analog for wave function collapse processing power. Even for a megastructure like a Matrioshka brain. Running a universe is finite. It is computationally expensive, perhaps infinitely so, to fully render the definite quantum state of every single subatomic particle in the universe at all times.
Speaker 2: So this system takes a shortcut.
Speaker 1: It leaves unobserved particles in a state of probability a wave function. In this state, they take up very little computational memory.
Speaker 2: But the moment a player, whether that is a conscious observer or a localized measuring device, interacts with the particle, the system is forced to resolve the code.
Speaker 1: The universe only fully renders its physics when it is actively being looked at.
Speaker 2: And physicists have pushed this even further, haven't they, with the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that experiment just breaks my brain.
Speaker 2: It's where the simulation argument becomes almost undeniable. The delayed choice quantum eraser essentially allows the particle to pass through the slits, but the decision to measure it or not measure it is made after the particle has already hit the back.
Speaker 1: Wall using quantum entanglement.
Speaker 2: Yes, and shockingly, if you measure the entangled twin later, the original particle hitting the wall will have acted as a solid particle. If you destroy the measurement data, it will have acted as a wave.
Speaker 1: So it goes back in time.
Speaker 2: The universe literally rewrites its own past history based on whether information is extracted in the present. That is not how physical matter behaves. That is exactly how a dynamic rendering engine manages data pathways.
Speaker 1: Which naturally leads us to the ultimate hard coded rule of the universe. The speed limit.
Speaker 2: The speed of light.
Speaker 1: Yes, the speed of light one hundred and eighty six two hundred and eighty two miles per second. It is an absolute constant in a vacuum. It doesn't matter how much energy you pump into a spacecraft. It doesn't matter what propulsion system you invent. Mass cannot exceed the speed of light.
Speaker 2: Nothing can.
Speaker 1: Physics doesn't really have a deeply satisfying why for this.
Speaker 2: It just is.
Speaker 1: It is an arbitrary cap placed on the cosmos, but in the context of a computer.
Speaker 2: In the context of computational architecture, the speed of light makes perfect intuitive sense. Any processor, no matter how advanced, no matter if it is made of silicon or quantum tangled photons, has.
Speaker 1: A clock speed, a cycle time.
Speaker 2: Right, there is an absolute maximum speed at which information can move from one note of the system to another. If our universe is rendered on a cosmic server, the speed of light is not a physical property of space.
Speaker 1: It is simply the processing cap of the server running the simulation.
Speaker 2: It is the maximum bandwidth.
Speaker 1: And this perfectly explains time dilation. Einstein proved that the closer you get to the speed of light, the slower time moves for you relative to a stationary observer.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Think of it as CPU throttling, like when a video game lags.
Speaker 2: Yes, if a processor is maxed out trying to calculate the incredible kinetic energy and movement of an object traveling near the absolute speed light limit of the system, it literally has fewer processing cycles available to calculate the internal state the passage of time for that specific.
Speaker 1: Object because it's spending all its energy just rendering the speed.
Speaker 2: The frame rate of time drops because the processor is struggling to render the velocity. The physics of relativity are perfectly mirrored by the physics of computation.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if the fundamental laws of physics are just the processing limits, the resolution pixels, and the memory saving rendering tricks of a massive computer, who is writing the code?
Speaker 2: That is the big question.
Speaker 1: Who is pushing the updates? Because when we look back at the history of our species, it doesn't look like a slow, steady, even progression.
Speaker 2: No, it looks highly punctuated, it looks managed. Let's look at human evolution, specifically the Leban cognitive function. Okay, the traditional Darwinian model suggests slow, gradual incremental changes over millions of years through random mutation and natural selection.
Speaker 1: Right, monkey slowly turns into.
Speaker 2: And while that explains a vast amount of biology, there are specific moments in human development that defy that slow pace.
Speaker 1: You're talking about the hardware patch to the human brain exactly.
Speaker 2: The sudden expansion of the neocortex, the lead to abstract thought, the capacity for complex language, the sudden appearance of art and symbolic representation.
Speaker 1: It just happens so fast.
Speaker 2: We see periods where human DNA, specifically gene clusters like FOXP two, which are associated with language and cognitive development, underwent sudden, rapid, massive changes that seem entirely disproportionate to the evolutionary timeline. They didn't involve in a linear fashion. They exploded into existence.
Speaker 1: It wasn't a gradual climb out of the primal mud. It was a hot fix, a patch to the operating system.
Speaker 2: From the perspective of a simulation developer, this is exactly how you would manage a project. If you are running an ancestor simulation and you watch your simulated hominids hitting rocks together for a million years, that's boring. Eventually the data plateaus. You aren't learning anything new about the system. The simulation is stalled. So you intervene. You push an update, You push an upgrade to the cognitive parameters of the species. You catch the neocortex. Suddenly they possess abstract thought. The invent agriculture, then industry, then computers. You artificially accelerate the timeline to observe how this specific intelligence manages rapid technological acquisition.
Speaker 1: But following this chain of logic, you know who created the universe, who patched our DNA, who built the computer? It always leads us straight into a brick wall. In both philosophy and physics, the first cause.
Speaker 2: Problem right, what started it all?
Speaker 1: If the Big Bang started the universe? What caused the Big Bang? If an intelligent creator built the universe? Who created the creator? Our human language, our logic, and our physics completely fail when we try to define the ultimate origin. We just loop infinitely. Does simulation theory offer a way out of the first cause paradox?
Speaker 2: It doesn't just offer a way out, It elegantly bypasses it entirely for our specific reality. In simulation theory, the first cause of our universe is incredibly simple to find and mundane, which is it is the moment the simulation was initialized. It was the moment the developer outside the screen pressed entered to execute the code.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: We cannot use our physics to understand what came before the Big Bang because our physical laws did not exist until the program was booted up. Our physics are strictly local to this specific software instance.
Speaker 1: So asking what happened before.
Speaker 2: The Big Bang is like a character inside a video game asking what happened in the game world before the console was turned on. The question itself is fundamentally flawed because time, as the character experiences it, did not exist.
Speaker 1: So we are a heavily monitored species running on a server with hard coded skied limits, experiencing memory saving rendering tricks, and benefiting from sudden cognitive software patches.
Speaker 2: That sums it.
Speaker 1: Up, which brings us to the ultimate plot twist. Who built the sandbox? The easy sci fi answer is aliens, right, some super advanced higher dimensional civilization experimenting in their lab. But there is a much more compelling and frankly, much more emotional and humanistic theory hidden in Bosstrom's trilemma.
Speaker 2: Yes, there is.
Speaker 1: What if the simulators aren't alien intelligences? What if they are us? What if the developers are humans from the distant future.
Speaker 2: This is where the theory shifts from cold computation to profound existential psychology. Let's really try to inhabit the mindset of an ultra advanced future human civilization.
Speaker 1: Okay, paint the picture for me.
Speaker 2: Imagine humanity one hundred thousand or million years from now, living in base reality. Through technological mastery, we have cured all biological diseases. We have mapped every neuron of the brain and achieved digital uploading. We have completely solved biological depths, so we live forever. We have achieved true immortality. We live in a state of perfect post scarcity bliss, where any desire can be instantly gratified by matter remplicators.
Speaker 1: Honestly, that sounds like paradise.
Speaker 2: Initially, yes, But living continuously forever without friction, without consequence would eventually become utterly paralyzing.
Speaker 1: Why.
Speaker 2: Because the human mind as it evolved is built entirely on contrast. We understand light because of the dark. We appreciate joy because we have experienced sorrow.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Our sense of triumph is entirely dependent on the reality of struggle and the possibility of failure. If you completely remove struggle, danger, and loss from the human experience, existence risks flattening out into a state of infinite, unbearable apathy.
Speaker 1: So to feel something real again, Yeah, you log in play a game.
Speaker 2: You build a highly accurate, flawlessly rendered historical simulation of the most turbulent, dangerous, emotional, and vital periods of your own history, like.
Speaker 1: The twenty first century.
Speaker 2: You simulate the twenty first century, the error right before humanity merged with AI or destroyed its environment or left the planet. And you don't just watch it on a screen. You fully immersed yourself in it. You temporarily suppress or wipe your memories of your mortal, post human life, and you choose to spawn into a biological avatar. You choose limitation.
Speaker 1: This completely redefines the human experience. If this is true, then death isn't an end. Death is just logging out. The biological headset comes off, and you wake up back in base reality exactly, and birth is just you at the character selection screen, choosing a new avatar, a new difficulty setting, a specific era. You specifically chose to inhabit Earth right now today, with all of its geopolitical chaos, its personal struggles, and its physical limitations.
Speaker 2: You chose to come here.
Speaker 1: You chose to be here to feel what it is like to struggle, to feel the devastating heartbreak of loss, the intense, fleeting joy of love, the profound, chaotic moments of vulnerability that a perfect i mortal existence completely strips away. We are not victims of the universe. We are tourists here on a historical trip to remember what it feels like to be alive.
Speaker 2: And there is a fascinating body of subjective anecdotal evidence that perfectly mirrors this transition state. Look at near death experiences or NDEs.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've read about these people seeing the light right right.
Speaker 2: Researchers who study NDEs find that across completely different cultures, religions, and geographic locations, people who technically die on an operating table and are subsequently revived report incredibly consistent experiences.
Speaker 1: What's the most common one, The.
Speaker 2: Most common and profound element of an NDE is the life review. Patients report seeing their entire life flash before their eyes. But they don't just watch it like a movie on a screen.
Speaker 1: Oh, just see it.
Speaker 2: They report experiencing their actions from a three hundred and sixty degree perspective of everyone they ever interacted with. They viscerally feel the emotional pain they cause others and the joy they brought others simultaneously.
Speaker 1: A postgame highlight reel. That is exactly what that phenomenon resemble.
Speaker 2: It really does.
Speaker 1: Think about it. When you finish a match in a complex multiplayer video game, you don't just immediately go back to the menu. You get a debriefing screen. You get a breakdown of your stats. Here is where you succeeded. Here's where you failed. Here is the damage you dealt, Here's how you impacted the other players in the lobby.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: If we are future humans logging into a specific point in history, the life review isn't a mystical judgment. It is just the server debriefing the player. It is the system processing the characters accumulated data and reintegrating those raw emotional experiences back into the prime post human consciousness as they begin the logout sequence.
Speaker 2: It completely reframes the purpose of suffering. It reframes the struggles of our existence not as random cruel accidents inflicted by an unfeeling universe, but as the very obstacles we explicitly chose to experience in order to enrich our higher selves. We came here for the friction, which.
Speaker 1: Brings us right back to the terrifying mind bending hook from the very beginning of our conversation, the calendar question. Yes, if we are future humans logging into a simulation and the physical universe is just a rendering engine, what year is it? Really?
Speaker 2: This is the count of last Thursdayism and epistemological problem in philosophy.
Speaker 1: Last Thursdayism.
Speaker 2: Yes, if this is a simulation. Then every single piece of physical and historical evidence we have for the current year, the thirteen point eight billion year age of the universe, the fossil records of the dinosaurs in the ground, the geological strata of the Earth, the carbon dating of ancient artifacts, all of.
Speaker 1: It exists entirely inside the system.
Speaker 2: It's just preloaded lore.
Speaker 1: Preloaded lore, like when you start a new game and the world already has one thousand year history written in books you can find on shelves.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it points to a reality that is both terrifying and all inspiring. The scientists analyzing the data, the electron microscopes, they use, the carbon dating algorithms, the text. It is all rendered code.
Speaker 1: So the universe might not be fourteen billion years old.
Speaker 2: The universe might have literally been booted up yesterday or five minutes ago. The entire thirteen point eight billion year backstory might have just been pre written into the initialization code to give the simulation a sense of absolute verisimilitude.
Speaker 1: To make it feel lived in.
Speaker 2: It is designed to feel ancient, continuous, and flawlessly real to the inhabitants, so we don't realize we are in a sandbox. We have absolutely zero empirical scientific way to prove that any history before this exact, immediate second actually happened in base reality.
Speaker 1: But I want to pull this back from total existential nihilism for a second, because it's easy to hear all this and feel like nothing matters.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely.
Speaker 1: David Chalmers in Reality plus Ala tackles this exact dread, and he makes a beautifully grounding argument. He emphasizes the concept of structuralism. He argues that even if the universe is a simulation, it is still undeniably our reality. It doesn't mean it's fake exactly. It doesn't mean it is an illusion in a way that devalues the experience. If you sit on a simulated chair and the simulated physics engine perfectly supports your simulated body, then for all functional intents and purposes, it is a real chair, right.
Speaker 2: A simulated tears still stems from real structural sets.
Speaker 1: Yes, the deep connections we make with other people, the pain we endure, the joy we experience, they are fundamentally real to the conscious mind that is processing them. This aligns beautifully with Descartes's famous realization. Kajito ergosum I think, therefore I am.
Speaker 2: The consciousness is the irreducible truth.
Speaker 1: Descartes realized that a demon could be deceiving his senses entirely projecting a fake world around him. But the demon couldn't fake the fact that descart was experiencing the deception. The consciousness is the irreducible truth.
Speaker 2: The substrate might be silicon instead of carbon, or quantum probability feels instead of solid matter, but the experience of existence is authentic.
Speaker 1: The profound urgency we feel to find our creator, to look up at the stars and ask why might just be our latent out of game awareness, bleeding through the code, a subconscious memory of the terminal we left behind.
Speaker 2: However, embracing that reality leads us to one final ultimate philosophical trap door. Oh boy, what is it? Is the concept of infinite regress. Let's say Bostrom is right. Let's say future humans simulated us. Okay, well, if they reached a point of technological mastery to simulate entire universes, how do they know they are in base reality?
Speaker 1: Oh no, how do.
Speaker 2: They know they are in a simulation being run by an even more advanced civilization above them? And who simulated the civilization above them.
Speaker 1: It's the classic turtles all the way down paradox.
Speaker 2: Exactly, do we just hit an endless, fractal ladder of simulations nested within simulations, going all the way up forever with no base.
Speaker 3: Reality at all that is dizzying, Or do we eventually reach a prime singular awareness, a base reality that isn't physical being sitting at a keyboard, but just pure unstructured consciousness that wanted to experience itself from infinite angles, so it shattered itself into a trillion simulated realities to play every role in the cosmos.
Speaker 1: My brain is officially at capacity. That is the ultimate thrilling thread. We started with the simple act of checking the calendar and ended up as fractured shards of a prime cosmic consciousness playing a hyper advanced video game just to feel the friction of existence.
Speaker 2: It's a lot to process.
Speaker 1: It really is. And we want you, the listener, to carry this perspective with you as you go about your rendered day today. As you drink your simulated coffee, commute to your simulated job, and interact with the avatars around you, I want you to think about the choices you made to get here.
Speaker 2: Think about the game you're playing.
Speaker 1: If you are playing a game right now and you have the option to log out, look at the Grand Cosmic menu screen and respawn, where in history would you respawn into this game?
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 1: Would you choose to be exactly where you are right now? Again? Do you think we are future versions of ourselves playing the most immersive historical drama ever coded? Drop a comment below let us know your answers, your theories, and where you would choose to spawn if you had the controller. Thank you so much for sharing your time, your processing power, and your conscious awareness with us.
Speaker 2: It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Keep questioning. The code will catch you next time. On Thrilling Threads