Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Karen MARCIONI your host for the Hope Show, inspired by my book Hope How Other People Endure, which is everyday people overcoming life's challenges. Today, we are joined by a returning guest, a Leebiaz, whose story continues to move and inspire so many. At just twenty eight years old, she is a gifted singer, songwriter, poet, and curator, a young woman who has turned her pain into purpose. Her life has been shaped by loss, abuse, and generational trauma, yet she's found a way to transform that pain through art and faith. Writing and music became her refuge, a space where she could begin to heal, to rediscover herself, and to bloom. Her focus. Blooming and healing is more than a theme. It's a living testimony to creativity. How creativity can restore hope. Through her poetry and her music, she invites others to feel seen, heard, and reminded that healing is not only possible, it's beautiful. I'm so honored to welcome Aliah Bias back to the Hope Show.
Speaker 2: Hi, it's good to be back.
Speaker 1: Yay, Aliah, welcome back to the Hope Show. Now, last time we spoke, we had some Internet challenges, So even through that, your light and authenticity came through. How have you been since we last talked?
Speaker 2: So a lot has happened because our last like our last time I was on here was like February of this year, right, So I have been blooming through the poetry scene. I had a lot of features in it, and I have became a curator. So I host my own open mic. Now. I did it twice this year, one in June and one in September. And it's called Blooming and Healing, right, So I just wanted to create a platform for others to find a space to heal, to perform. There ares they can come on stage singing, they can read poetry, they can dance, they can like just express themselves on stage, and I want them to have a safe space. So I have my open mic, and so it's seasonal, so I'm only doing it in the fall and the springtime. So I'm happy I got to achieve that goal is to keep pushing my advocacy of healing and mental health and everything through my platform.
Speaker 1: Now, oh that's great, and maybe we'll have a summer and winter in the future.
Speaker 2: In the future. Right now, so you've just.
Speaker 1: Grabbed your theme blooming and healing, and what does that phrase mean to you compared to when you first began your healing journey.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so blooming and healing, I felt like that just became like my motto in healing on my journey. So I feel like because healing is not it's not like beautiful like in the beginning, it's rough. It's like it's raw, it's scary, right, and it's dark. You know, you feel lone, you feel lost, confused. So during my healing journey, I look back where I started and from where I am now, and I was like, wow, I was blooming. Because in plants, they're in the dark until like they are guided up into the light. So I'm planting seeds in my healing journey and I'm sprouting and I'm blooming along the way. So in the end, for those who are listening in or just you know, like you are blooming in your healing journey. It may not feel like it, but when you look back, you do see it and it's beautiful in the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's wonderfully put. So you kind of answered my next question about you know, the earliest steps of what healing looks like, so it's not easy. So it seems that it comes in layers. Was there a particular moment or realization when you noticed your life beginning to change, when the healing started to take root?
Speaker 2: Good question. I feel like that's really hard because I'm trying to like when I'm looking past, I think like when I first started my healing was when I found my church, when I found great church. And then throughout that time of kind of stepping out of that like toxic relationship that I was in that ended, I feel like I was trying to find myself again because I was hiding in the shadows. So I think when I was searching for myself again and then putting myself into a space of people who cared about me and finding friends, and also putting myself into hobbies that I put in the past, like I kind of put it on hold. Like my poetry and writing has always been my outlet. So with me tapping into that again, it just opened up like the big picture of healing and I'm like, Okay, I'm writing, I'm writing my feelings down. Now I'm performing it. Now I'm connecting with more people, and it's like I guess maybe there's like there's like little scenes like I said, like planting, like there was there's so many uh like aspects. Yes, like so many parts of the journey that started it. There wasn't like no main points, but it all comes together like it's all pieces in one picture.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, that's great. So sometimes the hardest part of healing is forgiving ourselves. Has self forgiveness played a role in your growth?
Speaker 2: Yes, good question, Yes, forgiving myself and loving myself like self love has been something that I haven't done much of, and it's very important to love yourself before, like you love others and I have a big loving heart, and I give so much love to others, and I'm like I need to give that also to myself. Absolutely, self care is so important, like finding those hobbies, finding those things that you enjoy that calms you down, that brings you joy and happiness and peace right and just knowing like doing affirmations and you know, buying that dress that makes you feel good or like don't care what anyone else thinks. The only like you know of finding your true self and feeling that that inner like goddess, you know. So it took a while for me to forgive myself of taking and allowing things that were that I shouldn't like, the treatment that I was being treated, like past relationships, and you know, I had to forgive myself the mistakes that I made and everything, and also forgive others who have hurt me because that's also part of my healing journey and my closure. So there's still more things I need to forgive, but it is part of the journey, and it's so important, especially to getting that inner self love to them, you feel confident and you can keep driving right right.
Speaker 1: I think that's hard for all of us, and there are times where we reflect on our past and we really, you know, have to learn to forgive ourselves from that as God has forgiven us. And you know, recently in a service I pastor Ben had mentioned, you know what, certain times in our lives we're worried about what other people think and we don't really have to worry about We shouldn't have to worry about that, worry about what you think yourself, and the only person you need to impress is God.
Speaker 2: Yes to that.
Speaker 1: So you've turned your pain into poetry, lyrics and songs. When you write or sing, are you healing? Yourself or are you creating a space for others to heal or maybe both?
Speaker 2: Oh, it is definitely both. I like, so when I'm writing my poetry, when I'm writing my songs and performing it, i am kind of like opening my heart diary and I'm performing it in front of a strangers, you know. But these places, like these poetry communities, they have a platform that is so welcoming and so loving and very like safe for me to express myself. So when I'm expressing myself and expressing something that I went through, I am healing myself. I'm going I'm living through it again, but it's in a different way because I'm I'm stronger now and then I'm letting it out so then others can hear my story so then they can know that they're not alone. I had so many people come up to me after like a poem or a song and they're like, wow, like I went through the same thing, Or like when I wrote a poem about my dad, They're like I lost my father too, or like about healing being in a healthy relationship after like toxic ones, and they're like, when did you feel safe in that relationship? Like I feel the same way, and they're like they're talking to me about it and they're healing through my words while I'm healing through my words well also healing them at the same time. It's like a full circle. But it's definitely both that I'm healing myself and others.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's powerful. And I know that certain songs really speak to me or certain poems really can make a difference in someone's life. As I mentioned in my book, after each story, I tried to put lyrics of a song because I think it makes such a difference. So how has your faith influenced your writing and your music?
Speaker 2: So I like, again, God heals, and he has through my testimony, He has been backstage in my life through all the trauma and everything that I've been through and leading up to me getting baptized and like find the church and everything. I am taking my talent that He gave me, the passion and the empathy and just to help others heal and just kind of healed himself and then to find other purpose in their lives. And I feel like that is my purpose on earth, and I'm using that of my faith in God and the healing process just kind of like it's my armor, and I'm like, I'm gonna help fight other people's battles too, Like I'm gonna give them my I'm gonna give them my armor too, because they're not alone in their battle either. So he hasn't influenced me a lot of just keep keep fighting my own battles, but help others as well. Wow.
Speaker 1: So while you're doing that, do certain emotions come back, like your heartbreak or grief still Do that still inspire your art or are you in a new creative season?
Speaker 2: Yes? So I'm known to write about like things that I went through through heartbreak or trauma, so that's like that's what I'm expressing and letting out. But I'm in a new creative season. I'm in a very healthy relationship. Wonderful. Yeah, and it's it's such a blessing and but it's also it's also hard because I'm still learning un learning like behaviors from past relationships, so what I went through and what I've been how I've been treated. So but being in a healthy relationship, I'm in my what they call soft girl era where I'm actually writing love poems now, which is like who am I to be writing love poems? But I also want to kind of have that balance where like I do have my heartbreak poems because I'm still healing from that, but I also have my love poems because there is beauty after that heartbreak. You're gonna find your person. You're gonna find that you deserve the love that you're supposed to get, definitely, and I do actually have a poem to share about it. Yes, So it's also in the topic of after coming through a toxic relationship and then getting into a healthy relationship, I'm still going through like the triggers and going through like the self sabotage of like do I deserve this healthy relationship and everything. So it's called even when it's safe, and the poem will express it more than when I can explain it. So even when it's safe, I keep waiting for the moment you turn into someone else. That softness really is a setup. That calmness must be a pause before the storm. Because what love taught me was in love, it was walking on eggshells, every word measured, every look interpreted like a secret code I keep failing to solve. It was silence used as punishment, affection held hostage, It was being blamed for feelings that weren't mine to carry. It was gaslight and guilt sugarcoated with I love you, so I stayed confused enough to stay. Love taught me that apologies come right after emotional whiplash, that being needed was the same as being valued, that being chosen meant being controlled. I learned that love was something I had to earn by being small, agreeable, quiet, invisible. Now I'm here with you and it's quiet, safe, but my nervous system doesn't know the difference between peace and the silence that used to come before the next explosion. You say a care about how I feel, and I freeze because I learned that words don't always mean what they sound like. I learned to before someone asked me to. I learned to apologize just for existing. The worst part is how my mind betrays me, how I look for signs you'll hurt me even when you're doing everything right. It's exhausting to think the worst just to protect myself from it again, to race for betrayal before it happens, because it always happens, and it's terrifying to admit that this time it might not. You're doing all the right things and that's what scares me the most because I don't know how to trust what doesn't feel like survival. So when I seem distant, please know I'm not waiting for you to hurt me. I'm waiting for the moment I realized I was wrong to believe you wouldn't. This is the wreckage I carry, and this is what it means to be loved gently when you only know love as a weapon. So if I seem afraid even when you're kind, it's not you that I'm afraid of. It's how deeply I believe that I never deserve kindness at all. But I'm learning and you're still here, and maybe, just maybe this is what love will always supposed to feel like.
Speaker 1: Oh that is beautiful you wow, And I'm sure that that will touch many hearts.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: In talking about love, and I've spoken to people who've been in toxic relationships, and at the end of my so the thread of everyone who endured their overcoming challenges was love. Yes, someone to love them, and it can be from a stranger or from a family member. So I took a verse from the New Testament that's read at a lot of weddings. Yes, love is patient. Love is kind. It does not envy, It does not boast. It is not proud, It does not dishonor others. It is not self seeking. It is not easily angered. It keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease. Where there are tongues, they will be stilled. Where there is knowledge, it will pass away. And you said something beautiful the last time we spoke.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so I forgot where I read it from somewhere. But if you take love and replace it with your partner's name, is like are they kind? Are they? You know? Like, and just keep going And then if the statement is true, then it feels more like genuine and it feels more real, you know. If the statement is true with their name is like are they kind? Are they patient? And so it's kind of like a little cheechy, but it's more of like, so you want to make sure those statements are true. If you found your soulme your.
Speaker 1: Person, absolutely and you deserve it, Yes, I deserve it.
Speaker 2: That's a self forgiving too. I have to make sure that I forgive myself and I know that I deserve and I know my worth, that I deserve the love.
Speaker 1: That I give absolutely the healing. Yes, yes, so healing isn't always linear. So how do you handle moments when old pain resurfaces or when growth feels slow?
Speaker 2: Yes? So, yes, healing is not linear at all. It's it's tough because again, being in a healthy relationship, triggers are being brought up. And I told my partner, I told him that when I have baggage that I'm unpacking and he's not allowed to unpack it, but he is my security blanket to comfort me during my healing journey. So when a trigger comes up and it's not his fault at all, it's just it's just something that I dealt with in the past where I have to come to realization and I have to understand where the trigger is coming from what I'm feeling, and then knowing that it's not his fault, it's just something that I need to unlearn, and then I talk it out with him and he's open heart, open mind with like talking it out with me and just helping me through it, which is such a blessing and like he doesn't have to, but he does because he cares and loves me, you know, So that's right, Yes, yes, so it is. It's tough and you have to have a lot of patience, but also it's like you have to make sure like your partner is ready for that. If they know from day one that you went through something and they're there to help you, then they're the one for you. Because it's it's hard to because I was trying my past relationships. I was trying to help others heal, but I was losing parts of myself along the way and that shouldn't happen. So so yeah, so it's it's it's tough when my triggers come up, but I feel as still as my anxiety has been a little more less coming up, like for instincts, Yeah, for instincts like I had to fly out for my job and I am afraid of flying, and my anxiety links to many other things of like of my past, and anxiety is just it's a whole picture.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: So so I was I'm so afraid of flying, but I like sitting at the window seat and looking at the clouds. But my last recent flying out in September, I was not anxious at all. I was relaxed, and it surprised me and I was like, wait a minute, I'm like, why am I not afraid to fly right now? And I feel like when I'm working on my healing in other parts of myself, that kind of just kind of gave me the boost of I guess confidence or just peacing like you're fine, You're okay, this is not something you should worry about. It's control. So I was like, whoa, wow, Yes, so it's like that's something like, oh yeah, I'll worry about like of healing my anxiety with flying. And then I'm like, wait, I'm working on this and actually help that, so it all comes together in the end. That's great. But yeah, back to the point where triggers will come up, it is not it's guarantee that they will come up no matter what, but just channeling your strength and to know what is triggering, talk it through and then just get through it.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah, So my next question was you've kind of answered it's balancing vulnerability and protecting yourself. Yes, you know, sharing your story and also taking care of your own emotional well being. Can be really difficult and putting yourself out there. So is it a difficult balance or for vulnerability and protecting your heart so to speak?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, so one sharing my experiences like things I went through, it's more of like it is, it is very vulnerable being on a stage in front of strangers that you don't know, and you're saying about your heartbreak or saying about any any trauma or anything that you went through, and it can get very like dark and like very deep fast. And you know, there was one time where I performed like a song that I wrote for my dad, and I started crying, and there was there was people in the audience that were just very like so kind of like caring, like one game came up and gave me a tissue. Oh yeah. So it's it's a very heartfelt, vulnerable moment. And then there are moments where you should protect your peace and protect your yourself and your heart, but you have to kind of like read the room and read your environment. If you don't feel comfortable, then don't share your story because then there's some type of negativity energy that's kind of gonna it's not gonna help you. So with yeah, just knowing your environment and making sure you feel safe, then that's when you can open yourself up and be vulnerable. But then if you feel don't feel safe, if you feel like you don't feel like expressing your story, then protect your energy. So it's a balance and you have to be able.
Speaker 1: To do both right right, Yeah, you know sometimes those that gut feeling is real and it should be paid attention to. Yes, So what message do you hope people carry with them after hearing your songs and reading your words?
Speaker 2: My message, I feel like again my whole theme blooming and healing, that healing is is is a journey and it's not pretty. But you're not alone. There's so many positive outlets. Like tap into something that you enjoy that you've been putting off. Get out of your comfort zone because being in your comfort zone it like I I've like branched out completely out of my comfort zone with so many things. I made so many changes because my body it was screaming and like for change. So getting out of your comfort zone and knowing that you're not alone and just find your community, find your people you know, and also express like true love to yourself and just you know, just find that positive outlet. Singing, songwriting, writing, poetry is my is my positive outlet. So find that positive outlet. Tap into something that you enjoyed in your childhood that you're like, oh, I want to go I want to roll a skate again, or I want to crochet. Find that little hobby because then that's gonna heal part of you and then speak up, talk to someone and and seek for help if, like, if you really need to like let out more than what you are struggling with.
Speaker 1: Right right, that's so true. If healing were a garden, what flowers would represent your journey? And why?
Speaker 2: Oh that's such a good question. Oh my goodness, Well I love sunflowers. And the reason why I love sunflowers because they're always going towards the light and and they're just so like just big and bright and tall. And that's what I want. I want to be a sunflower of you want to always reach for the light, no matter what the light is, because I don't want to be in the darkness anymore. I don't. We don't want to be in the darkness. We don't want to be stuck there because it's cold, it's dark, it's cold, and I want to keep reaching for the light because it's warm, it's it's peaceful, and I just the sunflowers always just growing big and tall and reaching for the It just it gives me joy. Yes, some flowers always bring me joy because they're so sunny and they're so happy and just so bright and big and bold. So yeah, I would I would say definitely, so far great.
Speaker 1: So what are you most grateful for today that you couldn't have imagined feeling thankful for in the middle of your pain?
Speaker 2: Ooh, the crazy thing is that I'm thankful for my pain. I'm it's it might seem outrageous to say that, but I'm thankful for what I went through because it made me strong and maybe the woman I am today, all the struggles, all the trauma, like I always I can go through like a whole, like a spiral of like what if I did this, or what if I did that? Or what if that didn't happen? Like what if my dad didn't pass away when I was eight? So I'm like, where all my life would have been? Would I be sitting here right now talking to you?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: So I feel like I always said, like things happened for a reason, and it will always get better. And I was always chanting that when I was little, because I always questioned, like why did I go through this? You know. So it's more of like I'm thankful than what I went through. And I wouldn't think that I would be thanking that, but that's part of the healing journey. I have accepted what I went through and I got I'm getting closure from that my past of my family trauma, relationship trauma. I'm getting that closure. So that way, I'm saying like it's it's gonna get better and I'm proud to say who I am today because I look back and I'm like, wow, Like when I was at church other Sunday, I was like I came here crying, if you know, and I'm like, I was such a heartbroken little girl, and i was like just so lost and confused, and I'm like, but I'm so grateful for the poetry community that I've tapped into. I'm so grateful for my church. I'm just so grateful for the people that I met, and just so grateful for pushing myself and also so grateful for God. I'm so thankful for him that he has kept pushing me as well, there's just so many I could like name a whole people, but it's just I'm just thankful for just being here, being alive and just kind of keep pushing forward.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. And you know, this morning we had a guest minister and he was talking about the pain. At six years old, he was shot at by the ku Klux Klan. He's from the Deep South, as he mentioned, and as he went to school he was told he would he couldn't learn.
Speaker 2: He is a.
Speaker 1: PhD in theology in today's world, but he said he is thankful for that pain. And I also have to say in the two years three years that I've known you, how yes it has and how you have blossomed truly. I mean you've changed careers and you've started your open mics. It's you've really done a lot of work on yourself.
Speaker 2: I can tell it's shocking, but but it feels. It feels good to see how much I've come so far and how much I'm gonna keep going. There's just so much more to achieve, so much more.
Speaker 1: So true. So here's the next question, is if you could speak to your younger self, the girl still in the middle of pain, what would you want her to know today?
Speaker 2: Good question. I actually have a poem to answer that, and I wanted to share. Yeah, so this is basically a poem talking with me now, talking to my younger self. So I'm just gonna read it and speak for itself. Okay. It says, I see you standing at the edge of everything you think you are and everything you're afraid to be. You feel too much, you love too loud, and you break in places no one sees. But I promise you that those cracks let the light in. You won't always feel this heavy. You won't always want if love is something you have to earn. One day, you'll stop shrinking just to make others feel bigger. You'll bloom in the quiet places you once feared, and you'll feel like home. You will love again, and it'll be deeper, freer, softer, and this time you'll love yourself too, not perfectly, but enough to know you're worth the work it takes to heal. You'll cry in good ways. You'll laugh until your belly hurts. You'll meet people who don't ask to be anything but her, the girl who always knew there was more to life than surviving. There will be days when you still forget your worth. You'll fall back into old patterns, answer calls you shouldn't give second chances you outgrown, but don't be hard on yourself, because healing isn't linear and growth doesn't always look graceful. You'll learn to set boundaries not out of anger, but out of love for yourself, for your peace, for the future you're still building. You'll find that strength isn't always loud. Sometimes it's in the quiet, no, in the step back, in the tears you finally let fall. You'll stop apologizing for your softness and start protecting it instead, And somewhere in the middle of the mess, you'll look around and realize you build a life that feels like yours, not perfect, but real, and that's more than enough. Everything, every twist, every ache, every moment that made you question your place, It's all happening for a reason. Even the pain has purpose, Even the detours are leading you to somewhere good. And just when you thought God had left you in the dark, you found him not in the thunder, but in the stillness, in the quiet moments you almost gave up. He was there, not fixing everything, beholding you while you learn to heal, you'll realize he never left you. Just stop listening for the voice and remember we always chanted. It will get better, so much better than you can imagine. Right now. There's a whole world waiting for you, new dreams, new love, new versions of yourself you haven't even met yet. And the best part, you're not just going to survive, You're going to thrive. You're going to become an even more beautiful, strong, radiant woman, the kind of woman who changes life, who hold space for others, who helps them feel seen, who reminds them of their worth just by being who she is. You're going to be proud of yourself. We already are, so hold on keep going. There's so much more to look forward to with infinite love, me becoming everything you ever dreamed of.
Speaker 1: That is so beautiful. Wow. So my next question was what words of hope would you offer to someone listening today? I think those words are something that is wonderful to a young person listening. Is there anything else that you would add for someone who was still waiting for their blooming season to arrive?
Speaker 2: Be patients, It's going to take time, and just trust yourself, trust your instincts against self love self care and just kind of put yourself out there, like you know, get out of the comfort zone and just have faith, have hope, take a leap of faith, take that risk, and just enjoy life. That there is blooming and healing, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Don't give up. You're not alone at all, and just keep thriving. And I believe in you. You got this, we all got this.
Speaker 1: That's wonderful. Are there any other upcoming projects or performances that you're doing right now?
Speaker 2: I just had a performance. But right now I'm just kind of working on my individual projects, just more of writing more poems. I'm going to be working on trying to get my own poetry book going. That's in the new year, and I just keep writing, keep tapping into the community, and keep working on my future my future events for the springtime in twenty twenty six of blooming and healing, open mic and just keep keep healing. I'm just going to work on that. Nothing specific upcoming projects yet, but I'm just going to keep I guess my healing journey is my main project. Yeah that's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I would personally love a book of your poetry, So I would. I hope that comes to be Yes, hopefully too. All right, any other words of hope for our listeners today?
Speaker 2: I think I think my poetry said it all. I think we discussed it all. So thank you guys for listening. I'm so happy I can keep sharing my journey and be able to be here and chat with you. It's been such a blessing and honor.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you. It's been an honor to listen to your words of wisdom.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: What a gift it has been to sit down with Aliyah again and hear how her journey continues to unfold through her words, her music, and her faith. Her courage to share her story reminds us that even in the aftermath of pain, something new can grow. Each of us is a work in progress, unfolding like a flower in its own time, and sometimes the very soil that feels heavy and broken becomes the ground where our greatest growth begins. If her words spoke to your heart today, let them remind you that healing is not about forgetting, It's about becoming whole again. We hope you leave this conversation believing that no matter what you've endured, you too can bloom in your own time, in your own way, and in your own right. Thank you for joining me today on the Hope Show. If you have a story of resilience, healing or transformation, I'd love to hear from you. Remember every story, yours included, has the power to inspire, heal, and bring light into the world. And your journey could be the light someone needs today. Let's keep Hope Together alive. This program is made possible through the support of listeners, friends, and sponsors. If you would like to make a donation, become an advertiser or a sponsor, please click on my profile to connect, contribute, or share your story. Tune in to all the uplifting programs on Sosradio dot Live every Sunday starting at nine point thirty am Eastern Standard Time on Sundays, I'm Karen MARCIONI be well, stay hopeful, and until next Sunday at three pm on Sosradio dot Live