Speaker 1: Okay, let's unpack this. You ever feel like you're just waiting through endless cybersecurity warnings, Oh yeah, data breaches here, some new kind of attack there, and you're left wondering what it all really means.
Speaker 2: Right, totally, it's overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Maybe you're trying to wrap your head around for work, or maybe you just want to feel a little less in the dark about the digital world we live in. Huh, well, that's exactly what we're diving into today.
Speaker 2: Precisely. Think of this as your shortcut to understanding the core of how we tackle cyber incidents without getting lost in all the technical weeds.
Speaker 1: And today that core understanding comes from the world of digital forensics and incident.
Speaker 2: Response, right DFR.
Speaker 1: Now, your first thought might be that sounds like something for the tech giants, not me, but think of it this way. Understanding these principles is like understanding basic first date.
Speaker 2: That's great analogy.
Speaker 1: It might not be a doctor, but knowing what to do in an emergency can be crucial for anyone navigating our digital lives.
Speaker 2: That's a key point. I mean, while a major corporation faces threats on a different scale than say, an individual, the fundamental approach understanding what happened and how to respond. It has common.
Speaker 1: Threads, absolutely, and to help us navigate this fascinating but yeah, sometimes complex area, we've got a real treasure trove of information, most notably the book Digital Forensics and Incident Response, third.
Speaker 2: Edition, Solid resource.
Speaker 1: This isn't some surface level guide. It's a deep dive itself, covering everything from the nitty gritty of computer memory analysis to the strategic use of threat intelligence.
Speaker 2: It's definitely comprehensive. Our goal here is to pull out the most vital and frankly thought provoking aspects, giving you a clear pathway to being well informed without feeling overloaded by technical details.
Speaker 1: Yeah, aiming for that practical aha moment where things really click exactly. So, when something does go wrong in the digital realm, where do the experts even begin to sort it out?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's start with the thirty thousand foot view. Digital Forensics and Incident Response often shortened to DFIR. That's the overarching process organizations used to manage and resolve cybertax.
Speaker 1: DFIR the whole life cycle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the entire life cycle of dealing with a digital security event.
Speaker 1: Okay, DFIR, the whole playbook for digital emergencies. What's like one of the first pages in that playbook.
Speaker 2: Well, a foundational element is the incident response or IR plan. The IR plan this is basically a documented roadmap. It outlines how an organization will prepare for, detect, contain, and recover from security incidents. A robust IR plan has several essential parts.
Speaker 1: Okay, lay them on us. What should a good IR plan include?
Speaker 2: Right? First and foremost preparation through training the team responsible for handling incidents, the Computer Security Incident Response Team or CSRT. They need to practice.
Speaker 1: Practice makes perfect, even in cyber.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, think of it like a sports team running drills. The book really highlights the value of tabletop exercises.
Speaker 1: Tabletop exercise like playing a game sort of.
Speaker 2: There's simulated incident scenarios that the entire CSART should walk through regularly, ideally annually. These exercises often reveal unexpected communication breakdowns or maybe unclear roles.
Speaker 1: Ah, so it's not just technical stuff, it's the human element too.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely surprisingly effective. Communication under pressure is often a major stumbling block. Then there's maintenance. The digital landscape is constantly shifting, new technologies, evolving threats, personnel changes, you name it. The IR plan.
Speaker 1: Needs to keep up, so it can't just sit on a shelf.
Speaker 2: No way. The book recommends at least an annual review to ensure the plan remains relevant and effective, and lessons learned from exercises or you know, real incidents should be incorporated to make it a stronger document.
Speaker 1: Right, constantly updating based on experience makes sense exactly.
Speaker 2: And then we have playbooks. These are like specific step by step guides for handling common types of incidents. Think of it like having a checklist for different medical emergencies.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The book mentions playbooks for things like phishing attacks, malware infections, ransomware a big one, vulnerabilities and public systems and business email compromise or be EC.
Speaker 1: Ransomware gets its own playbook.
Speaker 2: It emphasizes the critical nature of ransomware and suggests a dedicated playbook for it. Yeah, just because of its potentially devastating impact.
Speaker 1: Okay. Playbooks the practical how to guides for when specific digital alarms go.
Speaker 2: Off precisely and within the IR plan. Clear escalation procedures are vital.
Speaker 1: Escalation, Who calls who? Basically?
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much? These define who needs to be notified and involved as an incident unfold from initial detection all the way to full blown crisis management. This helps prevent what the book calls see a shirt burnout burnout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see that.
Speaker 2: Being a risk definitely. It ensures that the specialized skills of the team are deployed appropriately and important only when truly needed. It's like a tiered alert system.
Speaker 1: So when the ceesart does get engaged, what's the initial approach? How do they jump in?
Speaker 2: The book makes it pretty compelling comparison here, think of engaging a se sert like calling the fire department. You contact them, provide essential details, what's happening where, what's the potential impact? That info allows them to dispatch the right resources. Similarly, engaging a se sert follows a defined escalation path, making sure the right expertise is brought to bear.
Speaker 1: Like flagging a suspicious email that then gets escalated to a specialist for like a deeper.
Speaker 2: Look exactly, and once the seizert is on the scene, a primary objective in those early stages is to understand the scope of the incident.
Speaker 1: How bad is it, how far is it spread?
Speaker 2: Right Initially it might not be clear how far the compromise is spread. The CS conducts a systematic investigation to determine which systems data processes have been affected. They're essentially trying to map the boundaries of the digital fire.
Speaker 1: So they're like digital fire responders trying to contain the damage and figure out how big the problem.
Speaker 2: Actually is precisely, and for organizations with a more mature security posture, often those with a dedicated security operations center or SoC, or maybe a fusion center, there are technologies like Security Orchestration, Automation and Response or SR.
Speaker 1: SIR sounds like it takes a lot of the manual work out of incident response.
Speaker 2: That's the goal. Yeah. Gartner defines SOR as technologies that integrate incident response platforms, orchestration and automation of security tasks, and threat intelligence management into one unified.
Speaker 1: System, integrating everything right.
Speaker 2: It helps organizations streamline their response processes, manage incidents more efficiently, and even leverage automation to handle routine tasks that frees up human analysts for the more complex issues.
Speaker 1: And you can't just automate everything right point.
Speaker 2: A common pitfall is automating too much too soon. That can lead to inflexible playbooks that don't handle novel attacks effectively. So it's about smart automation.
Speaker 1: Smart automation, not yeah yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: So our platform typically includes an incident response platform for managing workflows and tracking investigations, a security orchestration and automation engine for automating tasks like isolating infected computers, and a threat intelligence platform for gathering and enriching information about threats.
Speaker 1: Automation insecurity. That makes a lot of sense for dealing with the sheer volume of alerts these days. Now, Okay, once you know you have an incident, a critical next step must be containing it, stopping the bleeding.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Containment is about limiting the spread and impact of the attack. Think of it as building a firewall metaphorically speaking, around the affected areas you.
Speaker 1: Want to stop the digital infection from spreading further.
Speaker 2: The book discusses both physical and logical containment. Physical containment might involve actually physically disconnecting an infected machine from the network, unplugging the network cable or turning off Wi Fi one that plug. Yeah, but in large organizations, quickly locating and isolating multiple affected systems can be a huge logistical challenge.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, imagine trying to find one compromised laptop in a massive office.
Speaker 2: Building precisely so, then you have logical containment. This involves using software configurations to isolate systems or network segments, for example, implementing new firewall rules or using network segmentation.
Speaker 1: Using software barriers.
Speaker 2: Right. This is often more scalable, but it does require a well designed network architecture in the first place.
Speaker 1: So it's often a combination of physically cutting off connections and using software to create those digital barriers.
Speaker 2: Correct and after the immediate crisis has been addressed, there's a vital step for learning and improvement called the after action review or AAR.
Speaker 1: The AAR, what's that involved?
Speaker 2: It's a structured process of looking back at the incident, what went well, what could have been handled better, and crucially, what changes need to be made to ce sart policies and procedures. The goal is continuous.
Speaker 1: Improvement, turning every incident into a learning.
Speaker 2: Opportunity, exactly making your security stronger over time, like a feedback loop.
Speaker 1: Got it? Okay? Now shifting focus slightly to the digital forensic side of dfire. You mentioned a principle.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, there's a fundamental principle that underpins a lot of the work. Low cards exchange principle.
Speaker 1: Low cards exchange principle. Okay, sounds like something from a detective novel, It.
Speaker 2: Kind of is. It's a cornerstone of forensic science, stating that every contact leaves a trace.
Speaker 1: Every contact leaves a trace.
Speaker 2: In the digital world. This means that attackers, even if they try to be stealthy and cover their tracks, will inevitably leave digital footprints. The challenge and the skill of digital forensics lies in having the right tools and expertise to uncover these traces and connect them back to the malicious activity.
Speaker 1: So even deleting files or wiping a hard drive doesn't necessarily mean all evidence is gone for good not always no.
Speaker 2: Skilled forensic analysts can often rec covered deleted data or find remnants of malicious activity that might not be immediately obvious. It takes work, but it's often possible.
Speaker 1: Interesting and speaking of things that might not be obvious, you mentioned incident response has legal implications.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely significant one.
Speaker 1: John, Just dealing with the technical side, definitely.
Speaker 2: These can range from mandatory breach notification requirements, which depend heavily on the type and volume of data compromised and the jurisdiction right.
Speaker 1: Those laws seem to change all the time.
Speaker 2: They do, and then there are various privacy regulations, plus the rules of evidence if legal action is pursued. The book even mentions the Economic Espionage Act of nineteen ninety six, which criminalizes the theft of trade secrets.
Speaker 1: So how you handle a cyber incident and the evidence you collect can have really serious legal consequences down the line.
Speaker 2: Precisely, evidence collection and preservation must adhere to establish legal standards to be admissible in court. This involves maintaining a queer chain of custody.
Speaker 1: Chain of custody, proving who had the evidence.
Speaker 2: When exactly, ensuring the integrity of the data through techniques like hashing, and using forensically sound methods for acquisition. You can't just copy paste files.
Speaker 1: This is clearly a lot more involved than just, you know, running an anti virus scan and calling it a day.
Speaker 2: It certainly is. And just for a bit of historical context, the field of digital forensics really began to take shape within law enforcement back in the mid nineteen eighties as computers became more integral to criminal activity. The eighties, Wow, yeah, agencies like the FBI established specialized units such as the Computer Analysis and Response Team or.
Speaker 1: CART the FBI CART, so they were early pioneers in this field.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and the book highlights a really pivotal early case, the intrusion into the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory by a hacker named Marcus Hess. Okay, this activity might have gone unnoticed were it not for the work of Clifford's Stole. He devised this clever method to track the intruder his efforts, which he read about in his book The Cuckoo's Egg.
Speaker 1: The Cuckoo's Egg, I've heard of it, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a classic. It not only led to the hacker's prosecution for espionage, but also really underscored the critical importance of digital forensics expertise in our connected world even back then.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a fascinating story and still relevant today. It's amazing to see how much the feel has evolved since Stoles times.
Speaker 2: And it has evolved dramatically. Today we have highly specialized tools and methodologies for acquiring and analyzing digital evidence from a huge multitude of sources. Speaking of which, let's maybe delve into some of those key areas of evidence. A fundamental concept in digital forensics is the distinction between volatile and non volatile data.
Speaker 1: Volatile versus non volatile. Break that down for.
Speaker 2: Us, sure, volatile data is temporary information. It exists only while a system is powered on, and it's lost when the power is turned off. Think of the data held in a computer's random access memory or RAM.
Speaker 1: Stuff in RAM, got it.
Speaker 2: Non Vogal data, on the other hand, is persistent. It remains stored even when the system is powered down, So like the data on a hard drive or a solid state drive SSD.
Speaker 1: Okay. So if you're responding to a live incident, capturing that volatile memory the RAM quickly is crucial because it might contain fleeting evidence that just disappears the moment the machine is shut down or rebooted exactly.
Speaker 2: That's often priority number one. Now, let's talk about specific types of digital evidence, maybe starting with network evidence.
Speaker 1: Network evidence, ok.
Speaker 2: Our book emphasizes that network traffic can provide a wealth of information for reconstructing a security incident.
Speaker 1: Network traffic that sounds like an overwhelming amount of data. Where do you even begin to look?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be. Key starting points usually include firewall and.
Speaker 1: Proxy logs firewall and proxy logs.
Speaker 2: These logs can provide valuable insights into the initial stages of an attack, showing which internal systems communicated with external potentially malicious websites or IP addresses. They can also help identify command and control or C two traffic.
Speaker 1: C two that's a communication back to the attacker, right.
Speaker 2: The communication channel between an infected system and the attacker's infrastructure. Think of firewall and proxy logs as kind of the digital equivalent of border patrol logs.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they give you a picture of what's coming in and going out of your network perimeter precisely.
Speaker 2: Then there's NetFlow NetFlow. While firewall and proxy logs primarily focus on traffic crossing the network perimeter, NetFlow provides visibility into internal network traffic what the book calls east west.
Speaker 1: Traffic east west, so communication within the.
Speaker 2: Network exactly, Yeah, showing how systems inside the network are communicating with each other. This can be invaluable for detecting lateral movement.
Speaker 1: Lateral movement like an attacker who got in one place and is now trying to spread sideways to other machines inside.
Speaker 2: That's it exactly. NetFlow helps you track those internal maneuvers, and for a much much deeper level of analysis, there's packet capture.
Speaker 1: Packet capture grabbing the actual data.
Speaker 2: Tools like TCP dump on Linux and raw cap or wind pee cap on Windows allow you to capture the actual data packets being transmitted cross the network.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: You can even apply filters to these captures to focus on specific types of traffic, like communication within known malicious IP address or specific protocols, so you're not just drowning in data.
Speaker 1: Capturing the raw network data that's like recording every single digital conversation happening on your network must be huge files.
Speaker 2: They can be enormous, yes, and analyzing these massive amounts of data requires specialized tools. Wire Shark is a very widely used GUI based tool for both capturing and analyzing network traffic in detail.
Speaker 1: Wire Shark, Yeah, I heard of that one.
Speaker 2: It allows you to inspect individual packets, follow the flow of communication between systems, filter based on a huge range of criteria. The book highlights its use for both live capture and in depth post capture analysis, so you can.
Speaker 1: Watch traffic live or dig through recordings later.
Speaker 2: Right. For example, you can filter to see only HTTP traffic and then examine the specific web pages or urs that were accessed.
Speaker 1: Wire Shark sounds incredibly powerful, like a microscope for network data.
Speaker 2: It really is, and for analyzing very large packet captures offline, there are tools like arkhim arkim Yeah. The book shows how you can load a captured file into arkham and then efficiently examine things like HDVP sessions and the specific web addresses that were visited. Wire Shark also has handy features like display filters to zero in on relevant traffic and coloring rules to visually highlight different types of packets, which makes the analysis process a bit more manageable.
Speaker 1: S galuring rules that sounds helpful for spotting patterns it can be, and.
Speaker 2: For detecting more subtle malicious activity, like an infected system periodically beaconing back to a command and control server by quiet check In beconing right, the book introduces Rata. Rita uses behavioral analysis to identify these recurring patterns in network traffic that might otherwise get lost in the noise. Beconing like that regular quiet signal that an infected machine is still under the attacker's control. ARIDA helps you pick up on those faint signals.
Speaker 1: Very cool that's right. Okay. So now let's shift our focus from the network to individual computers and discuss host based evidence.
Speaker 2: Okay, evidence on the actual machines.
Speaker 1: As we touched on earlier, a critical first step in many investigations is acquiring the volatile memory, grabbing.
Speaker 2: That ram before the power goes off. What are the go to tools for that? You mentioned volatile data earlier, right.
Speaker 1: The book mentions win p mem as a tool specifically designed for acquiring a memory image from Windows systems. It creates a raw bit for big copy of the system's physical memory.
Speaker 2: The snapshot of the live memory.
Speaker 1: Exactly, which can then be analyzed offline using specialized memory forensics tools like volatility, which is another powerful tool.
Speaker 2: So you take that memory snapshot and analyze it later for clues that might not be present on the hard drive at all.
Speaker 1: Correct things like running processes, network connections, passwords potentially gotcha. What about acquiring the persistent data, the stuff stored on the computer's storage devices, the hard drives or SSDs.
Speaker 2: For acquiring non volatile evidence, there are tools like silar SLR is designed to efficiently collect log files and other protected files from a system.
Speaker 1: SILR for logs and protected stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and another powerful tool is KPE. That's the Kinetic Artifact Parser and Extractor. KP allows for highly targeted collection of specific types of evidence based on predefined configurations or targets. This is much more efficient than just grabbing absolutely everything.
Speaker 1: Targeted collection focusing on the most likely sources of evidence. That saves a lot of time and I guess storage space too.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Then there's the crucial concept of forensic imaging.
Speaker 1: Imaging making a copy of the drive.
Speaker 2: Right, creating a complete bit for bit copy of a storage device. The book distinguishes between physical images, which capture the entire drive, including unallocated space where deleted files might linger, and logical images, which capture only specific partitions or files.
Speaker 1: Physical versus logical, which is better.
Speaker 2: Well for traditional hard disk drives HDDs, physical images are generally preferred because they preserve everything, potentially allowing for the recovery of deleted data. Okay, However, the book points out that solid state drives SSDs present unique challenges. Why is that because of a process called trim. Trim is designed to improve SSD performance, but it can securely erase deleted data pretty quickly, making recovery much more difficult, sometimes impossible.
Speaker 1: Ah So SSDs can make the job of recovering deleted files way more challenging for forensic investigators.
Speaker 2: That's often the case. Yeah. For creating these forensic images, tools like FTK emitter are widely used. FTK imager it can create forensically sound images, meaning it calculates cryptographic hashes like digital fingerprints of the original drive and the image file to ensure the integrity of the copy, proof that it hasn't been tampered with.
Speaker 1: Hashes right verifying the copy is exact, and.
Speaker 2: The book also emphasizes the critical importance of using right blockers.
Speaker 1: Right blockers these.
Speaker 2: Are hardware or sometimes software tools that prevent any accidental modific case of the original evidence drive during the imaging process. They ensure you don't accidentally change the evidence you're collecting.
Speaker 1: Right blockers absolutely essential for preserving the integrity of the evidence and making sure it's admissible in court. Makes sense. What if you can't take a system offline to create an image like a critical server?
Speaker 2: Good question. In some critical high availability environments, shutting down a system just isn't an option in those scenarios. For virtual machines, you might create a VMware snapshot.
Speaker 1: A snapshot, yeah, like freezing it in time exactly.
Speaker 2: This captures the exact state of the virtual machine at a specific point in time, including its memory and disk. This allows for analysis of the live system state without directly altering the original underlying data.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The book also briefly mentions using bootable USB devices containing Linux based forensic distributions for imaging physical Linux systems, again trying to minimize impact on the original system.
Speaker 1: So different environments and can straints call for different evidence acquisition techniques. Very adaptable. Now, once you have that forensic image, that big copy of the drive, how do you actually go about analyzing all that store data?
Speaker 2: Right? This is where forensic analysis platforms come into play. The book introduces Autopsy, which is a very popular open source forensic platform built on top of another tool set called the sleuth kit.
Speaker 1: Autopsy Oh open source, that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It provides a user friendly graphical interface for examining disk images and offers a wide array of powerful.
Speaker 1: Features like what cut of features.
Speaker 2: Things like timeline analysis, which displays events, file modifications, program executions, web visits in chronological order to help reconstruct the sequence of activity.
Speaker 1: Timeline super useful for figuring out what happened when.
Speaker 2: Absolutely also keyword searching to quickly find specific terms or freezes, and the ability to automatically parse and analyze web artifacts like browser history, cookies, download history, all that juicy stuf web artifacts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that tells a story. The book even illustrates how to start a new case in autopsy and add evidence sources to it.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It walks you through the basics. You can drill down into the filesystem, examine metadata associated with files like creation times, modification times, identify installed software, and see a list of recently accessed documents which can provide valuable clues about user activity.
Speaker 1: Autopsy sounds like a central workbench for digital forensic investigations. What about getting even deeper into the filesystem details For a.
Speaker 2: Deeper understanding of filesystem activity. On Windows systems, there's the Master Filetable or MFT MFT Master Filetable. It's essentially the index of the entire NTFS filesystem. Tools like MFTSCMD can parse the MFT, allowing investigators to track file creation, modification, access and deletion times, providing a really detailed history of filesystem interactions.
Speaker 1: The MFT, like a detailed ledger of all file related actions on a Windows system, even deleted one sometimes precisely.
Speaker 2: Remnants often remain, And even if an executable file itself has been deleted, you might still find traces of its execution through prefetch files. In Windows prefisch files, what are those? Windows creates them to speed up application loading. Tools like pecmd can analyze these prefetch files to determine if a program has been run, when it was last run, and how many times, even if the program's gone.
Speaker 1: Wow, prefetch files a historical record of executed programs, even if they've been subsequently deleted.
Speaker 2: That's sneaky evidence. What at the Windows registry, It seems like that holds a vast amount of system configuration information.
Speaker 1: Oh, it absolutely does. It's a gold mine. Autopsy can parse the registry, allowing you to examine various registry keys and values.
Speaker 2: What can you find in the registry.
Speaker 1: Crucial information such as connected USB devices including their vendor and product IDs vidps AH.
Speaker 2: So you can see if a specific USB drive was plugged in exactly.
Speaker 1: Very helpful in tracking potential data expiltration or maybe the introduction of malware via external media. You can also find network, hit street, user account information, recently run programs, tons of stuff, so much information.
Speaker 2: The book notes that registry analysis is a deep and specialized area, but even a basic analysis can often uncover valuable investigative leads.
Speaker 1: Okay, So from the network, to volatile memory to persistent storage like hard drives and the registry, there are numerous layers of potential evidence to examine. And then we have the often overlooked but critical area of log files. Ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, log files often the first place investigators turn to understand what happened on a system or network.
Speaker 1: But there are so many logs there are.
Speaker 2: Which is why the book emphasizes the importance of a well defined log management policy within an organization. The c search should play a crucial role in specifying what types of events should be logged and importantly, for how long the log should be retained.
Speaker 1: You need a plan for your logs, definitely.
Speaker 2: NIST provides excellent guidance on establishing effective log management practices. We can't investigate what you don't have a record of.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So what are some key considerations when it comes to log files and incident response? How do you manage them?
Speaker 2: Well? A security information in event management or SEAM system is an invaluable tool for log aggregation and retention, particularly in larger organizations that generate massive amounts of log data.
Speaker 1: A SEAM collects all logs in one place.
Speaker 2: Exactly, a SEAM collects logs from various sources across the infrastructure servers, firewalls, workstations into a central platform. This makes it much easier to search, correlate events from different systems, and identify suspicious.
Speaker 1: Patterns correlation seeing how an event on one system relates to another right.
Speaker 2: The elastic stack, with tools like elastic Search, log Stash, and Kibana, is another powerful option for centralized log analysis, offering near real time search capabilities and visualization.
Speaker 1: SEM and elastic stack essential for making sense of that overwhelming volume of log data. What about analyzing Windows event logs specifically on a single machine.
Speaker 2: Sure, the built in event viewer in Windows allows you to view these logs. Of course, the raw log files themselves are typically stored in the c Windows System thirty two WINEVAD logs directory, and there are several key event IDs that investiators often look for, specific numbers that mean specific things like what, For example, event ID four six twenty four indicates a successful account log on four six three four signifies an account log off. A high volume of event ID four six twenty five, which indicates failed log on attempts might suggest a brute force attack.
Speaker 1: Four six twenty five lots of failed logins red flag.
Speaker 2: Big red Flag and event ID forty one O four records the execution of PowerShell scripts, which are very often used in malicious activities these days. These specific evn IDs can act like digital breadcrumbs.
Speaker 1: Those specific event IDs sound like crucial indicators to look for when sifting through Windows logs, really useful.
Speaker 2: Nuggets precisely, and there are tools to help. Deep Blue Cli, which is a PowerShell script itself, can help automate the analysis of Windows of events by identifying known suspicious events and patterns based on those ideas and other heuristics automating the log search Yeah Event log Explorer offers more events filtering, searching, and reporting capabilities than the built in event viewer, and for situations where you need to collect logs remotely and correlate them with other data sources, tools like Scotti can be very useful.
Speaker 1: So a combination of built in Windows tools and specialized utilities can help you extract meaningful insights from those often verbose event logs. Okay, let's move on to a topic that I think many find particularly concerning malware.
Speaker 2: Indeed, malware malware analysis is a critical component of incident response, no question.
Speaker 1: What are the main goals when analyzing malware?
Speaker 2: The primary goals are first to understand how the malware works its behavior, Second, what are its capabilities? What can it do? And third to identify indicators IOCs that can be used to detect and eradicate it from infected systems.
Speaker 1: Understand it, find it, kill it.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. The book introduces the concept of a malware sandbox.
Speaker 1: Sandbox like a safe play.
Speaker 2: Area, exactly, a safe isolated environment. This can be either a local virtual machine you set up yourself or a cloud based service. It's where you can execute and analyze malware samples without risking your actual production network or data.
Speaker 1: A controlled laboratory for studying dangerous software makes sense precisely.
Speaker 2: There are two main types of analysis, static and dynamic. Static analysis involves examining the malware's code and structure without actually running.
Speaker 1: It, looking at the blueprint right.
Speaker 2: Tools like pay studio can help you analyze the files metadata, identify imported functions, what Windows features it uses, and look for suspicious strings or patterns that might indicate malicious behavior, things like references to known malicious URLs or command and control servers.
Speaker 1: Okay, static analysis examining it while it's inert, what's dynamic.
Speaker 2: Dynamic analysis, on the other hand, involves observing the malwur's behavior while it's running in that safe sandbox.
Speaker 1: Environment, watching it in action.
Speaker 2: YEP. Tools like Process Explorer or process monitor can be used to monitor its activity, like the processes it creates, the files it modifies, the registry keys changes, and crucially, the network connections it attempts to establish.
Speaker 1: So static analysis is like examining the blueprint, while dynamic analysis is like watching how it actually behaves in that controlled environment.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to put it. And there are online sand boxing services like in teaser analyze an you run Joe.
Speaker 1: Sandbox online sandbox.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these can automate much of this dynamic analysis process. You upload the suspicious file and they run it and give you back detailed reports on its actions. They can even identify similarities to known malware families based on code reused analysis.
Speaker 1: Very useful automation, again handling the heavy lifting exactly.
Speaker 2: The book also introduces yarra rules ya air rules. They're essentially pattern matching rules. They allow you to identify malware based on specific textual or binary characteristics like unique strings or sequences.
Speaker 1: Of like a custom search pattern for malware precisely.
Speaker 2: Tools like Loki can scan systems for files that match a given set of yar rules, and yargen can help you generate your own yar or rules based on a sample of malware you've found. These rules act like digital fingerprints for known threats or even new variants.
Speaker 1: YARR rules sound like a powerful way to proactively hunt for known malware on your systems or even variations of it.
Speaker 2: They are very powerful, yes, and that naturally leads us to the crucial area of threat intelligence.
Speaker 1: Right connecting the dots, What is threat intelligence exactly?
Speaker 2: Correct? Threat intelligence is essentially information about existing and emerging threats. It helps organizations better understand their adversaries, who they are, their motivations, and their tactics, techniques and procedures, their TTPs, understanding the enemy exactly. That understanding allows for a more proactive and informed security posture rather than just reacting. The book outlines different types of threat intelligence, strategic high level risks, tactical attacker methodologies, operational details of specific attacks, and technical specific indicators like ips or hashes.
Speaker 1: Different levels of intel for different needs.
Speaker 2: Right. It also introduces the pyramid of pain.
Speaker 1: Pyramid of pain sounds painful.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a really useful model. It illustrates the value and the difficulty for an attacker to change different types of indicators. At the bottom, you have things like HASH values and IP addresses, easy for attackers to change. At the top, you have TTPs, much harder for them to change. So focusing your defenses there causes them more pain.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, so focus on detecting their behavior TTPs, not just the specific tools hashes they use today makes sense. So how does an organization actually go about using threat intelligence effectively?
Speaker 2: It's a cycle, really, a continuous process that involves several stages. Planning what intel do we need? Collection, where do we get it? Processing, making sense of raw data, analysis, extracting insights, dissemination, getting it to the right people, and feedback.
Speaker 1: Did it help the thread intelligence life cycle? Where do you get this intel?
Speaker 2: Various sources. It can include internally generated data from your own incidence, commercial threat intelligence feeds you subscribe to, and open source intelligence or.
Speaker 1: Ocinth ocynth publicly available.
Speaker 2: Stuff exactly, information from reputable sources like sands, Internet Storm Center, user advisories, security blogs, vendor reports, and platforms like Alien volved OTX. There's a huge man out there if you know where to look.
Speaker 1: Okay, ocent sounds like a valuable resource. But how do you make sense of all that diverse information, especially the attack or TTPs you mentioned.
Speaker 2: That's where the miter att and CK framework comes in. It's become indispensable.
Speaker 1: Miter att ANDCK here they mentioned a lot.
Speaker 2: It's a structured and incredibly comprehensive knowledge base of adversary tactics, techniques and procedures TTPs observed in real world cyber attacks. It's all mapped.
Speaker 1: Out a catalog of attack methods pretty much.
Speaker 2: You can use the ATT and CK Navigator, which is a web based tool to visually explore are these TTPs and understand how different thread actors operate at various stages of an attack life cycle, from initial access to data xfiltration, visualizing the attack chain exactly. The book stress is the importance of working with indicators of compromise or IOCs.
Speaker 1: Biocs like file hash is, malicious ips right.
Speaker 2: Pieces of forensic evidence that suggests the system has been compromised, and also indicators of attack or ioas ioas.
Speaker 1: How are they different?
Speaker 2: Ioas focus more on the actions than attacker is taking the behaviors regardless of the specific tools or IOCs involved. Think detecting credential dumping activity versus detecting a specific known credential dumping tools. Hash ioas are often more.
Speaker 1: Robust detecting what not just the how exactly.
Speaker 2: The key though, is to focus on the data, whether IOCs or ioas, that is most relevant and actionable for your specific organization and environment. Don't just collect everything right.
Speaker 1: Focus is key. Themar E ATT and CK framework like a comprehensive cat log of attacker behaviors, helping you understand your adversaries. So, how do you actually integrate this threat intelligence into your incident response efforts? How does it help the CSR? Good question.
Speaker 2: Many forensic analysis tools like autopsy, which we mentioned, have the capability to ingest threat intelligence feeds, for instance, lists of known malicious file hashes or IP addresses autopsy can then automatically flag files or network artifacts on a compromise system that match those known bad indicators during an investigation.
Speaker 1: So the tool does the matching for you.
Speaker 2: Saves a lot of time. Maltago is another powerful tool, more for visualization. It can be used for graphically analyzing the relationships between different pieces of threat intelligence like IP addresses, domain names, malware samples, email addresses, helping to build a clearer picture of an attack campaign and infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Altago for seeing the connections exactly.
Speaker 2: The book even provides a practical example using IOCs associated with the hffn IM threat.
Speaker 1: Group khifn i AM Change Attackers.
Speaker 2: That's the one active in twenty twenty one. It shows sourcing IOCs from alien Vault OTX and then using a tool called CTI encoder to convert these iics into queries that can be used directly with various security tools like signs or eder platform.
Speaker 1: Inverting intel into actual search queries very practical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can also leverage Jura and low key, which we discussed earlier.
Speaker 1: With malware right the pattern matching to.
Speaker 2: Scan your systems for files matching known malware signatures or behaviors identified through your threat intelligence feeds.
Speaker 1: So you're taking what you know about known attackers and their methods and actively looking for evidence of those activities within your own environment. That's a proactive use of intelligence. That's exactly it, and that leads us directly into the concept of thread hunting right using intel to hunt exactly.
Speaker 2: Thread hunting is a proactive security activity. It's where security analysts actively search for threats that might have evaded existing automated security controls.
Speaker 1: Going looking for trouble before it finds you.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to put it. It's about going beyond just reacting to alerts and actively seeking out potential indicators of compromise or malicious activity that might be lurking undetected in your environment.
Speaker 1: Assuming compromise, sometimes threat hunting actively going on the offensive to find threats before they trigger an alert. How do you even begin a threat hunt? It sounds like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Speaker 2: It can be. The book emphasizes the crucial role of forming a hypothesis.
Speaker 1: First hypothesis like a specific guess about what might be.
Speaker 2: Wrong exactly based on initiating events, maybe unusual network traffic patterns, suspicious log entries you notice, and also leveraging threat intelligence about known adversary PTPs relevant to your industry or technology stack. You don't just randomly start searching.
Speaker 1: Okay, start with a theory.
Speaker 2: You need a specific idea of what you're looking for, informed by potential threats and observed anomalies. Then you plan your hunt, decide which systems, logs, network traffic you'll examine. You'll often use digital forensic techniques and tools, plus maybe endpoint detection and response or EDR tools for broader.
Speaker 1: Searching, using forensic skills proactively right.
Speaker 2: The outcome of a thread hunt can range from confirming a previously unknown compromise, which means the HUT was successful even if it's bad news finding something bad, to validating the effectiveness of your existing security controls finding nothing which is good, or maybe identifying blind spots in your detection capabilities where you should have seen something that didn't.
Speaker 1: So it's a continuous cycle of learning, hypothesizing, searching, and refining your security posture based on what you find or don't find.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it's an ongoing effort.
Speaker 1: Now, let's try to tie a lot of this together with a real world example that unfortunately we hear about all too often. Ransomware.
Speaker 2: Uh, ransomware, Yes, it has become such a pervasive and costly threat. The book uses the Kanti ransomware group as a detailed case study.
Speaker 1: Kanti they were huge for a while, weren't they. There' stuff leaks on line too?
Speaker 2: They were, and yes, those leaks provided a lot of insight. Kanti, often associated with the Wizard Spider and trick Bot thread actors operated on a ransomware as a service or RIOS.
Speaker 1: Model rios, meaning they rented out their.
Speaker 2: Ransomware essentially, yes, making it accessible to a wider range of cyber criminals, not just the core developers. The book outlines their common tactics.
Speaker 1: What kind of tactics did Kanti use?
Speaker 2: Things like using tools like proc dump to bump credentials like passwords from compromise system's memory, leveraging standard Windows protocols like SMB and RDP for lateral movement across the network.
Speaker 1: Moving sideways using normal.
Speaker 2: Tools exactly, utilizing frameworks like Cobalt strike for command and control, and crucially exfiltrating sensitive data via SFTP or HTTPS before encrypting local files. The double extortion.
Speaker 1: Tactic steal the data, then encrypt it nasty gary.
Speaker 2: Understanding these specific tactics is crucial for both prevention and response.
Speaker 1: Kanty's a stark reminder of the sophistication and potential damage of modern ransomware operations. What are some key steps organizations can take to prepare for and respond to such an attack? Based on this kind of intel.
Speaker 2: The book highlights the importance of a layered security approach, focusing on both network and endpoint resilience defence in depth right. This includes deploying robust eder solutions for endpoint monitoring and threat detection. Disabling unnecessary administrative shares on network systems, common lateral movement paths, Implementing network segmentation using vlands to limit the blast radius if one part gets hit, segmenting the network oh containing the fire exactly. Utilizing Microsoft's Local Administrator Password Solution or LAPS to manage local admin passwords securely so they're not all the same. Disabling credential caching where possible to prevent attackers from easily stealing credentials left in memory.
Speaker 1: Lots of practical hardening steps.
Speaker 2: Yes, and CSRT preparedness is also paramount Having well defined procedures for rapidly isolating infected systems to prevent further spread.
Speaker 1: Is key quick isolation.
Speaker 2: The book also touches on analyzing initial access methods like malicious macros and documents, using tools like ola dump, dot PIY and cyber chef to deconstruct them, and investigating lateral movement by examining Windows security event logs for specific indicators like that event ID four six x two four type three log on we mentioned, which can indicate network based logins between machines.
Speaker 1: So a combination of proactive security measures, good hygiene, and a well drilled incident response team are essential for minimizing the impact of ransomware.
Speaker 2: Attach Absolutely, preparation is key.
Speaker 1: Finally, after an incident has been contained and eradicated, oh lovely, how do you properly document everything that happened? Reporting seems crucial?
Speaker 2: It is thorough. Incident reporting is a critical final step in the incident response life cycle. You're not done until the report is done. The book emphasizes the importance of creating documentation tailored to different audiences within the organization.
Speaker 1: Different reports for different people.
Speaker 2: Yes, an executive summary provides a high level overview for leadership, c suite board members. It covers the root cause, the impact, and key recommendations for preventing future occurrences, all in business terms.
Speaker 1: The quick version for the bosses pretty much.
Speaker 2: Then, the investigation details section provides a more comprehensive narrative of the incident, timeline, the detailed findings identified indicators of compromise. This is for both leadership and technical personnel. More detail, and finally, a detailed forensic report provides the real technical specifics of the evidence analysis tools used, step by step findings data analysis. This is for the technical teams, maybe legal counsel.
Speaker 1: Different reports for different levels of understanding and different needs. What are some key elements that should be included across these reports?
Speaker 2: The book stresses the importance of a clear and accurate timeline of events. Detailing when different activities occurred during the incident is fundamental to understanding the narrative.
Speaker 1: The timeline is critical.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, detailed note taking throughout the investmentation is also crucial. You can't rely on memory weeks later. The book even suggests tools like monolith notes for effective note taking and organization during a chaotic response.
Speaker 1: Kee good notes, Yes.
Speaker 2: And the language use in the reports should be appropriate for the intended audience. Executive summaries need that business oriented narrative, while forensic reports will be highly technical and detail oriented.
Speaker 1: Tailor the language makes sense. Comprehensive documentation is vital not only for internal learning and improvement, but also for any potential legal or regulatory requirements.
Speaker 2: Right absolutely, it serves as the official record of what transpired, how it was handled, and the lessons learned. It can be invaluable for demonstrating due diligence and for strengthening future security efforts.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, we've covered an incredible amount of ground in this deep dive, huh, from the fundamental principles of DFIR to the intricate details of evidence acquisition analysis, the strategic use of threat intelligence, all in formed by the comprehensive insights of digital forensics and incident response.
Speaker 2: Indeed, it's a huge field. We hope that you, our listener, now have a much clearer understanding of the processes, the tools, and frankly, the thinking involved in responding to and investigating cyber incidents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should now be able to approach discussions about cybersecurity, or even just the news headlines with a more informed perspective, recognizing the underlying methodologies and technologies that security professionals rely on every single day.
Speaker 2: So maybe a question for you to ponder considering the sophisticated techniques employed in ransomware attacks like CONTI, what are some specific immediate steps that come to mind for enhancing your own digital security practices, whether that's at home or in your workplace.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. Or thinking about the other side, given the ever increasing complexity and sophistication of the threat landscape, how critical do you now perceive proactive threat hunting to be for organizations striving to stay ahead of potential attacks? Is reacting enough anymore?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Great questions. We really encourage you to delve deeper into any of the specific topics that particularly sparked your interest today. Perhaps explore some of the powerful tools we mentioned, like volatility for advanced memory analysis, or maybe delve further into the wealth of knowledge contained within the ITTNCK framework.
Speaker 1: Online, because in the dynamic and ever evolving field of cybersecurity, continuous learning and just plain curiosity are probably your most valuable assets.
Speaker 2: Well said, until our next deep dive, stay curious, stay informed, and stay secure.