Speaker 1: We welcome, welcome, everyone to the second episode of the Breakthrough Lab. I am your host, Giovanni Ramirez, and remember your next breakthrough starts here. So second episode. So many things to make this show happen here in our Stanford studio, and I can even tell you how much pain I put my good friend here for run A Nod, my special guest today to try to get this going. There are cameras everywhere, and guess what, we only got one of them to work, So it's been it's been an ordeal. But here we got one camera, really nice equipment to bring you guys a great show today, and it's my pleasure and I'm absolutely honored to interview you today, Varon And yeah, so apologies for everything I've put you through here for the next for the last forty minutes or so.
Speaker 2: Right, Geo, First of all, I really had no idea that this was this was your second episode because you made so much mistakes, man, I mean so many mistakes. But the poor the first one, whosoever was it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's what happens when you try to get really good equipment and you don't have the time to figure it all out. And but life is about taking action right and you got to get things done. And so again I'm just honored to have you here as a friend of mine for so many years now, like watching you grow, watching you grow your business and really taking action on a lot of stuff and giving some really good advice. So yeah, introduce yourself for the audience.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Jim So, Hello everyone. My name is Vern I'm the founder and CEO of eero HubSpot EEO Upspot is a training platform which deals with the certification programs like PMP, which is one of the most popular Project Management Professional certification given by PMI. And this is just one certification, but there are multiple more certifications which we deal with. So that's me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And so I've had the pleasure of just witness you figure out, put business plans together, see what works, what doesn't work, pivot learn What do you think is one of the things as of late that you've been able to put into your business that's really made a difference.
Speaker 2: I think hustling, if you ask me personally, hustling is something you should always do and like a lot of people will say that, you know you don't have to do it. You need to have the right strategy I don't agree with that. No, you do the things, you learn from your mistakes, and once you learn, you you will figure it out. Right, we figured out the equipments were not working and it's coming out absolutely beautiful. So just learn it your way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I have to tell you, like, like I sweat the details a lot in Varon is here saying let's just get it done.
Speaker 2: Let's just get it done.
Speaker 1: And that's one thing I love about Varon is like just seeing him take action, experiment if it's not working, pivot in, pivoting to something that is working. And I think it's it's You're a great example of what taking action actually does in someone's life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, correct action is I feel like, you know, taking act. A lot of people just make plans and like whosover is listening? This question is for you. Are you the one who is just making plans or are you the one who is actually executing it? Also? And Geoe, honestly speaking, looking at you right now, I'm really proud of you. Yes, there are times when you are just planning and you're not executing, but there is a time now where you are executing. Things are better. And you were actually telling me that you know, I feel so great that you know I'm doing all the things. So these are good steps personally speaking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so I know that your background, your dad, he's an educator, right, correct, And so you grew up in a household with a father who's an educator. How was that for you? And do you think it inspired you to take on this challenge to make an educational platform.
Speaker 2: Absolutely? So. My dad is a retired mathematics professor. So I still remember, you know, he used to like call everyone, all the neighboring kids will come to our house and he will be the one who will teach maths, mathematics to them. And right from my childhood, he always used to say this thing to me, what on if you want to get better at something, start teaching others. And that is what was engrossed in my life, that if you want to get better at something, just start teaching others. And that's why I actually opened made a new education platform. Now, yeah, yeah, and I think correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: You you were teaching project management at certain universities here in the States.
Speaker 2: Yes, so, I actually taught for University of Maryland, Baltimore County Training Centers. I was with them, and I actually taught for you know, Yukon also the Stamford location where I was teaching. I think it was risk management Associate professor. So I I've done a couple of gigs with the universities as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, how does your fa your father feel? I've been able to meet your dad. He's such a beautiful man and we got along right away. I started calling him dad right away. And how do you think your dad feels seeing you create this educational platform and how many people you've impacted along the way.
Speaker 2: So I think this question is more for my dad, but I will I'll give this answer. So my dad went through a heart surgery, a pretty big heart surgery back in India. And my sister, she's also an educator like myself. And I heard him saying to the nurse that, you know, both my kids are educators. They teach people, they make an impact in people's like life. And it was such a beautiful feeling when I heard my dad saying that out loud, proud to everyone that hey, you know what, that's what my kids do. I was feeling very blessed to hear that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's beautiful too, especially when you see your dad in this medical emergency. Correct, and the one thing he's thinking about is like, hey, I gotta brag about my kids. Yeah, yep, that's beautiful. So here we are. It's twenty twenty five and this year is already flying by. So quickly tell me how has been the journey from thinking about making an educational platform to following through and that whole trajectory to where you find yourself today.
Speaker 2: So I still remember when I actually started this. It was back in twenty twelve or thirteen. Like I didn't set up the company name. I used to go to people's houses and you know, I'll sit at the dinner table, sometimes in the study table, like you know, teach people. At that time. And last year I had a one on one meeting with not one on one. I was like, you know, meeting with the CEO of PMI. PMIS Institute, so we teach PMP Project Management Professional Certification and it is actually done by an organization PMI. So I was meeting with the CEO of PMI talking about what next steps which we can do it together for the project management community all over the world at a global level. It was such a you know, like a feeling of proud. Yeah, that you know you have come a long way. And if you ask me what is that one reason which contributes? I would always say that there's never one reason. There are ten thousand reasons. You make ten thousand mistakes, you learn from it. But one thing which always remains is never give up. Keep on doing it. If it's not working, do something in the till the time you figure it out. You will figure it out. Trust me on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, never giving up.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of that caricature of a guy digging for diamonds in the cave and he quits right before he's going to strike a diamond. Right beautiful. And so now having your educational platform for project management, right you, One of my favorite things to do is log into LinkedIn and see all these beautiful testimonials. Right, how many individuals have you been able to impact and help them pass these exams?
Speaker 2: I've lost the count.
Speaker 1: Now that's a great problem to have.
Speaker 2: By the way, or YouTube has around close to three point five million views.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Right now LinkedIn has closed to around fifty thousand followers Instagram. We have just started out. You know, when I started doing it, there was no Instagram at that time. So I can't tell you how many people, but it's definitely definitely six figure at least.
Speaker 1: Nice. Nice, that's a beautiful number. Like one day we wish we can figure out how many people we can impact and lose count. Right, Yeah, So and then what inspires you? You know, when when varun feels a little bit tired or like something's challenging you, where do you draw your inspiration from?
Speaker 2: So you know, when I'm down, I'm actually down, So I would continue, like I'll give up on some time, you know, I'll watch a TV or something. But when sometimes you know, you read an email from a student whom you have actually made an impact. You read the personal story, like someone sharing with you that, hey, Ron, I was going through a tough time. I was laid off and you know now because I did PMP, I got a job and it was just because of you. I would have you know, I've reached where I am. You know, those kind of things inspires motivates me to just keep on going. Sometimes I feel that is this the life I want to do? Because I'm working like fifteen hours, you know, fourteen hours, you know, it's like typically, but then when you read you know, testimonials emails like these, that you're making a real impact in people's life. It's worth it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. Yeah as a coach, just hearing the feedback and knowing that you made a big difference, whether you put on at the next level or youre advanced them or you've been able to have a breakthrough. Yeah, I do agree with you that those those touch points are so impactful and push you for that drive. Right. Is there anyone that you look forward to, you look up to? Is there a person that you're like, hey, like they've achieved this sort of success, like and you also draw inspiration from them. Any mentors?
Speaker 2: So yes, definitely I have a couple of mentors I would not deny that. I'll first of all start with my dad. My Papa has always been my biggest mentor, you know, whom like I always look up to the hard work, the effort which he has put into And now, if you ask me, hole, throughout the life, I have series of mentors for different things. Do you, honestly speaking, you are one of my mentors as well? Because like, see again I'm not making this up just because I'm talking to you. Yeah, but I'll give you the specific reason of why it is like that. Personally speaking, when I look at people, I'm very selective of the people I hang out with. And we all say this, you know, you should not judge, and you should not judge. It's a very typical statement. Still you always judge. It's a typical human psychology. And I judge. I'm not denying that. And when I judge, I look at you, someone who is without any personal selfishness or motivation. You are just keep on helping others, going out of the way to do that. So yes, you are my mentor to take that selflessness feeling from you. That's one from my official aspect. JJ. He's one of the persons who has always motivated me if I always look for entrepreneur you know, like guidance and all I always look up to. And we have a common friend and Susanne Kelly Susan, Oh my god. Yeah, yeah, so she is also one of my mentor. I talk a lot to her, you know, I share my things, she shares secrets, you know, things which we should do it together. I think overall, it's all about the people you hang out with, people who are actually looking for making an impact and uplifting you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I agree with you. It's so interesting because obviously we're good friends and we have some deep talks. But it's so interesting to see that you and I share a commonality that we really just draw inspiration from the people that are around us the most. Right. Absolutely, Most people say, oh, there's this famous person or this Hollywood individual, or this person has the story. But yeah, I find that you as well get inspiration just from like those friendships that you built in those business connections as well.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and thank you. I had no idea I was one of your mentors. Yeah. Same here for me, Like you know, one of the things I love to do is go to your house and just you know, and you always give me new insights, insights that I love to get from you. And maybe you can give the audience because you have really been leveraging technology and technological platforms that have helped your business, how do you figure out which platform to go forward with or what new technological strategy can serve you for reaching more of an audience so people know about your business.
Speaker 2: So if you ask me personally, there are multiple Like there was a time when you know, I used to do YouTube, YouTube, was the most popular platform at that time, and that has. If you ask me how where I am right now, it's because of YouTube. That's the first thing. Then after post that, the visibility of YouTube actually decreased, and then in, you know, LinkedIn came into the picture. And I am the one who is working with work most of the time. My audience is working professional, so LinkedIn I became very active on and now I'm hearing all the younger generation they are more on Instain and TikTok. Still I'm not even to figure out how insta works, but slowly and gradually I started to work on that. But I think the one lesson out of this is it doesn't matter what the technology or what the platform is. What really matters is that you have to keep upskilling yourself. If you don't do it, you will fall behind. Simple Yeah, I do agree with you on that.
Speaker 1: And each platform had his nuances, and I think so again, I love. My favorite thing that I do is to go on LinkedIn and see like you grow in your audience, you grow on your platform, and so on LinkedIn. I've seen you you get relatively a great amount of success, like you get around twenty.
Speaker 2: To forty it's close to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's close to fifty thousand. Yeah. And so having a nice audience like that and seeing all the people that comment and all the positivity that shared to me my favorite thing to do on LinkedIn. And you know, as a career coach, not being on LinkedIn, people say why not? Right because, but I love the fact that in other platforms you get to see the people and their colorful personalities as well. So it'd be nice to see, like as you try to figure out the different platforms, like what kind of content you'll create to kind of hit your niche in Instagram or Facebook and everything else that exists. Right now, every other day, I feel like there's a new platform. Correct, correct, So let's move on to your background. Right, So there's Varun the businessman, There's Varun the family man. But how was Varun growing up? How was So there's probably a lot of colorful stories there from you can tell from the smile that comes out. But tell me a couple of month milestone things that happened, you know when you were young that kind of shaped you as a man you are today.
Speaker 2: The milestone, I mean the younger generation Waron and the Baron now is completely different personality, completely different personality I was. If you asked me, how were you in studies? I was never the topper. I was. I wouldn't say I was the backbencher also, but I was typically on the notorious side. I won't call myself like, but I was. Okay, yeah, you know that's that's one thing from from the studies going on. I used to fight also, you know, there would be fights, you know, friends and all, not just friends like other people. Also, I have done all those things as well. I'm not proud of those, but still I mind studying it. Yeah, part of your story, but it's part of my story, right. So the things, the milestones which I have learned I would honestly speaking, when I started working. I've worked with some of the very good managers. I have some with some bad managers. Also, one thing I've learned from them is is this the kind of manager? Or is this the kind of person I would like to be? And I have drawn more of a feedback from people like these that Okay, this is the person I would never like to be, and this is the person this is how I would like to manage. So milestones as such have have I know, milestone is something which is significant. But like for me, milestone was when I get married and I started my own company, when my kid was born. You know, COVID started, So Covid was another pivoting needed for it. So so many changes. Yeah, and so that has been typically the milestones if you ask me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So an adventurous varone as a young child and now you know, taking that energy or you know, maybe a little bit that fighting energy to make your business succeed.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You know, I do find that people that that achieved a relative amount of success, there were definitely outsider sometimes black sheep, and they would get in trouble and then in some way, somehow they were able to channel that energy into creating something that's lasting. Right, correct, is there now we talked about I know that you were a little star in a certain sport. Can we talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If I used to play cricket, I was a school captain of my school cricket team. I was pretty good at school time. Then when I went to my undergrad cricket was not that very popular over there. Like I was. It was popular, but my university never used to play cricket that much. That was it, that was not the sport for them, so kind of I ignored it. But when I came back to States here in twenty twelve, that is when I started playing cricket again. The local community had very good cricket teams, and that is when I realized that I was not the best. I had so many better than me. But some of my best friendships came from cricket in States at least, I can, you know, probably say that some of my some of my bestest of best people are from cricket, and I really love them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's so amazing how we can be so good and great at you know, in a certain sector or school or division, and then like all of a sudden you end up like placing a new division correct, and it's a whole different way of playing, a whole different level. And you're like, how am I the best here? And like maybe the second worst in this level? Exactly exactly, Yeah, I agree, yeah, And I can only imagine because you know, rugby, sorry cricket, I can say rugby, I don't know, why cut that up please? So in cricket, you know, it's not that popular in the States here, but I think recently, you were they held one of the biggest tournaments here in the States, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, So basically what happened was last year the Cricket World Cup was organized in the US and the Caribbean Islands because in West Indies it's cricket is a very popular sport. So there was a World Cup Cricket game which happened in New York and the biggest rivalry India versus Pakistan.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: I went there to watch that game and it was a surreal experience.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, amazing to think that you were so good at the sport. And I've heard some of the stories some may not be said on this on this episode, but to hear that and to hear that you've been able to grow to the World Cup first time in the US, yes, first time in US, amazing. The energy must have been after Richter scale.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't even ask. So let's let's go into a the educational platform. Right, So, lots of changes are happening in the workforce, lots of programs. Where would you if you were to start all over like today, how would you get into a good project management role?
Speaker 2: How would you get into a good project management role. Okay, So project management is typically for people who have a little bit of experience of managing projects. So someone who is fresh out of college, they might not get a project manager role immediately because that's more for a mid level career to senior leadership position. That's where you see. So I always say that if you want to move into project management, if you like managing projects, then you should start with CAPM certification. That's CAPEM Certified Associate Project Management. That's like the junior version of p MP, which is the most popular one, and that could help you to put your foot into the door of project management world. And that is when you can actually start working as project coordinators assistant project managers, and then eventually it will start and move towards the actual project management where you're managing multimillion dollar projects.
Speaker 1: Do you think that, if you're a recent grad if it's prudent to get certified immediately or should you work in the should you be in the workforce for one too, maybe a couple of years and then get certified as as a way to advancer or do you get a certificate almostly immediately or as part of your graduation.
Speaker 2: So, so GEO This is a conflict of interest question for me because I sell those courses, so I'll be a little bit of I'll be a little very sure, so I'll be a little bit biased, you know, to this answer, but I'll give you logical reasoning of why we should do what I'm always a strong believer of upskilling. I personally do that on myself, irrespective whether i'm you know, I'm just starting it out or not. It's always good to get these certifications right in the beginning itself because you get to understand the lexicon, the term logy which is used in the project management world, and that is a good starting point. And when you are actually managing projects and you are certified, you know the language which is going around you. So it makes more sense to be certified and at the same time work. One thing I have realized is once you get busy, you have family life, you have one thousand more things in your life, then it becomes so much tough to do these certifications. But when you're fresh out of the college, you still have that learning environment zone, you know the thought process, so it becomes a little bit much easier to do those certifications at that time.
Speaker 1: So I'm one hundred percent agree with you, And it's okay if you're biased, because I agree with you and I'm not biased. So as a career coach, I did say, you know, get certifications, just add them to your resume. It adds extra color, extra depth, and so, hey, you're biased, I'm not and I agree with you. So I think we're on the same page here. So now one of the things you've been recently doing is you know, past the exam without reading a book. Is that the correct? Did I get the advertising correct?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Like, how did you come up with that? And what was it that that made you say, okay this, this would be a good way to get people excited about our program here.
Speaker 2: So see, every person's learning style is different, right. There are people who like to read books, and there is nothing wrong in that, right, But there are people like myself who are not just about books, who are more about the practical experience, the case studies, because that is how I tend to learn more. So my thought process was that if I can teach you something with a storytelling approach, make some kind of stories projects, because we are human beings we love stories, right, so true, so teach them how you would actually manage a project how in the form of storytelling and honestly speaking, whatever is in the book you can teach in the form of stories and it will work out pretty well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I really love that approach because stories just they stick with you right correctly. Yeah, there's that emotional component of tying emotions plus the lesson, and when you can tie emotions in the lessons, I think you retain the information that much more. So is there a good example that you can think of? And if it's like a little too hard on the moment, it's okay, you can pass this question. But is there a good example where there's a particular story that you can tell to teach one of the lessons in project management?
Speaker 2: Sure? Absolutely, So I'm telling you that I don't know these questions. So it's everything is so. I remember one of one time one of my students he called me after like three years uh and said that, hey, everone, what's going on? You know? Things going well? Oh, I just wanted to let you know that, you know, I still remember your story of how how we we we went to buy a car. So when when we go and buy a car. Buying a car is like a project, like for example, if I need a four wheel drive, I need to spend X amount of dollars. If I do a two wheel drive, it's by amount of dollars. Right. If you take some matt finish or anything, then that's what the cost is. What if if you put something on these steering wheels, if you do, you know, put some fancy system music systems into that, then that's cost. Right. So ultimately that's a project. So he told me that we're on I still remember that story. Wow, that how you taught me the project management where we are actually going ahead and buying a car, and how it turned out like this would be the cost and it will take me X number of days for me to get it manufactured or something like that. I still remember it and I still use in my you know, day to day project. So he was from the automobile sector, and I was like, wow, sometimes I'll tell you one more. I'm sorry, no, bring it down, bring it down. I still remember one more time I was telling a dish. I was making a chicken curry for dinner. Yeah, And when I'm recording videos, when I'm explaining the course, whatever goes around me, I start taking those examples and start teaching that. So one time my student called me up and you know, she said this to me that we're on. Oh I still remember your chicken curry story, how you were making the chicken And I said, Okay, did I say something like that. I didn't even remember it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's what was most recent in your memory, and that you were able to tie that story to your lesson amazing, amazing work, and so I agree with you. Wow, storytelling is such a great way to teach individuals and to retain more information as well. So here we are in twenty twenty five technological shifts. I feel like every day I open up, like you know, my web browser and there's a new technology, a quantum chip from Microsoft an AI that works better than chat GBT. So much going on as a project manager is there are there any tools out there that that you think are really changing changing the game when it comes to like managing projects for organizations.
Speaker 2: So there are many tools as such. What I would say is that what is happening, and it's not just with project management, I'll talk about in general to the entire industry space. So what is happening is let's talk about CANVA, right one of the most popular tool for graphic designing and right, So what they are doing is Canva has introduced the AI element into this tool. So all these big companies, whether it is project management related softwares or is it anything in general, they are introducing AI into it. Now, let's talk about Google. Google is a product. Right. If you go and you do a search, now every time you will see that on the top, you will see the result, which is an AI generated result. So that's what is happening in this world. We need to embrace AI. Please don't feel that, you know, it's too complicated. It's to think of it like a time when how the email was first discovered. Like most I'm pretty sure that people when email was discovered, most of the people would say, well it's so weird, it's right, you know who who does this?
Speaker 1: And write like that.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming that maybe the feeling this is the time here AI is it? Please? Please please go out learn as much as you can. Your time will be saved, and trust me, you will be one step ahead of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like like you said, upskilling and just like being aware of the of not just trends, but like shifts. Right, Gott technologlogical shifts, and I think that you'll be put in the right you'll be set in the right direction, and you'll go with the river. If you if you swim against the river, you're gonna last two minutes. So, uh, we've got we're thinking about, like how can someone really succeed as a project manager this in this day and age. Right, you may not know this, but actually I was pretty much like two courses away from being like project management certified. Yeah, when I was when I graduated college, I took like a like a little understudy in project management. And I remember I had a really attractive school teacher and what's funny that she gave the an award to the wrong student. It was supposed to be me. And at the end she said, I made a mistake. I'm sorry, I forgot your name. I was like, oh man, but yeah, like I really got to learn about gant charts and at that time, it was MS project correct like the big driver of project management. So is there a particular software that you would recommend or it could be a sweet could be the top two or three that someone really get to know and become an expert in to really crush it. In their field.
Speaker 2: So MS Project, the name that you have said, is one of the most popular project management scheduling software. If you want to create project plans, then MS project is something which is widely used on the most popular. In fact, we have a course on that as well.
Speaker 1: So the link just kidding, there's no like.
Speaker 2: So that is one of the most popular one. But then there are other software is like Monday dot Com. You'll see a lot of advertisement of Monday dot Com. I don't know, I see it a lot because.
Speaker 1: I'm into this, but you see Monday dot com.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's another very famous. Then Jira is another very famous, uh project management tool. I would say the one right now. I think Gira is the most popular project management software.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I've been working a lot with tech individuals to get jobs and Gira spelled j I r A right, Yep, that's correct. I see it a lot on the resumes right now. And it's more much more a two of for like for project management in the tech field, right to manage tech tech projects.
Speaker 2: I see, it's not necessarily tech projects. Jira can be used in any industry space because ultimately, whatever industry you are in, you are managing a project. If you are managing a project, you need a software which can help you to better manage the project. So Gira can be used anywhere. But yes, you are right. It's very popularly used in the tech industry because I think they were the one who actually created this tool.
Speaker 1: That's why got it, got it. Yeah, I remember Mondays dot Com was a guy who was like very unhappy with like whatever was out there, and he said, I'm going to make my own project like management sweep for myself. And then they were like, hey, this could be used by other people, and then investors came and Monday dot Com was born. I did, I did create a Monday dot com account and I like it. Sorry now so so Emma's project by Monday dot Com. Jira good tools to get to know and to to really crush it. As a project manager. What is the best mindset or to have as a project manager to really make sure projects are on time, that you're delegating correctly or checking in with the teams and incentivizing them around the goal of getting this project done to finish.
Speaker 2: So I think the best I would I always believe in communication. For me, open and honest communication is always the best way to go. What happens is when you deal with customers, we are typically not open with them, Like if I'm making a mistake or if I made a mistake, I will most likely not go to the customer and don't communicate that to the customer because I think I can fix it or I can hide it. And what typically happens is that in a longer run, that small mistake may backfire. You may become a big mistake, or you may just you know, don't fall into the crap. Also that can also happen. But again the point is be open, be honest, communicate in the end, whether it's your customer, whether it is you, whether it's your boss or whatever. People do understand, so you need to be the better judge that the other person will understand this or not. And if you think the other person will understand, be open, honest and communicate. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that, pure honest communication wins it all right, absolutely, Yeah, And putting everything on the table because I think you know, when you don't communicate, so many pitfalls are there to understand, like if someone is struggling, or if there's an opportunity like something that will cause a failure it could be caught like in advance. Yeah, I agree with you. Great communication is the key, guys. So here's the key with varun here. So what are some of the pitfalls that can happen to a project manager that could potentially derail their career or maybe they don't answers quickly? What are things they can avoid so that they can be a better project manager at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: See again, it's I like to give answers, not specifically on project management, but in a general generic sense because if let's say, and right now, it's not a good time going on, a lot of layoffs are happening, and some things are not in your hand right and you being a career coach, I don't think so nobody, like anybody knows more than you on this aspect. When we do something, when we are working, I know my salary is coming, everything is good, I become lazy. I feel like you know, I'm satisfied. I don't need to upskill myself. I'm okay with things. And when the layoffs happen, they don't see whether you are a good performer or you are the best performer. They just layoff departments. So true at that time, you're just a headcount for them. Yeah, and when something like this happens, then they suddenly start thinking, oh, I should have done this certification, I should have upscinn issue you know here, Okay, but now you need to get a job also at the same time because the paycheck which you were expecting is not coming. So when the time is right, upskill continue to grow because you never know things may change at any time.
Speaker 1: So got it? Got it? So I guess the pitfall is never stop learning, never stop or the pitfall is like if you stop learning really right, So never stop learning. Always develop, find out what's trending or what's the shift in your industry, and if it's project management, what are the new tools, what's getting outdated, and and follow that, get and become an expert. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a really good insight. I love upskilling too. I like that we should get a T shirt up skilled today. We need some merch here, right, ver will get some MERCHERI for your for your platform there, and we'll go to Uh. I want to dig a little bit deeper to what would you say if so, maybe you could give me some insights like how uh what's the average that someone takes the the Project Management A certification exam before they actually actually pass it? Is there statistics out there for that? Like, you know, is it like an average to two times and one and a half as an average? Is there is there statistics out there tracking how many times it takes someone to actually pass that exam?
Speaker 2: Oh? Again, it depends from where you are taking the training.
Speaker 1: Yes, unbiased answer, wink wink. But let's say someone who didn't get the training next to me, So.
Speaker 2: It's a again, I don't have a specific statistics as well, like how many people pass the certification in their first attempt? But I feel like if you have the right resources with you, you can definitely pass the exam and first attempt itself.
Speaker 1: Nice. I love that. I love that. And so what is one thing that like that your students said, Hey, I struggled before, I didn't pass it, and then I got your program and it made all the difference. You know, is it just as storytelling or is there a little bit extra that you're doing that you feel definitely pushes them to really succeed at the exam.
Speaker 2: So storytelling is there are multiple things a world. It's not just one thing which I would say, like, for example, let's say you know that this is something good for you and you want to do it, right, that's just the first aspect that I want to do it. I'll put all the hard work. I'm all energized, I'm you know, I have the momentum, I have the motivation, will start something. Then what happens you start doing it? If the content is boring, you probably give up in one week. You probably give up in right, So then the next thing comes into picture is whatever you're learning, the way you are learning, that should be which you are comfortable. Okay, Now I have the right content, I start working towards it. But then life happens. Something came up in the office, something came up in your family time, right, and then you give up. Once you give up, then it becomes so.
Speaker 1: Hard to restart.
Speaker 2: Right. Think of it like a gym. Right. I always say this, I'll start from Monday, but that Monday never comes. And when that Monday comes, then on the weekend, I'm eating something again which I should not be eating because Friday comes every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if we have a sweet sieve of you and I definitely so.
Speaker 2: It's the thing is if something like this happens, that you start and you give up, then what is the next thing? What can you make sure that people don't give up? Because if people give up, I'm at loss. And why I'm at loss is because if they will not pass the exam, they will not go ahead and they will not recommend me more. If they don't recommend me, I will not get more people, more students, more business. So that was the problem statement which was defined in my mind, and that is when I came with that magic bullet. And that magic bullet was steady plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So what I did I introduce. I made sure that every student of mine has a mentor with them, a mentor assigned who is telling them that this is your homework number one, this is your deadline, and in this deadline, you need to do these four things.
Speaker 1: Wow, So you built an accountability system correct within your program. So you're not just getting a set of courses, You're getting a mentor along the way that's giving you a little bit of that pressure correct to make sure you complete the lesson plan or the task or the homework. And that hand holding does go along.
Speaker 2: With exactly, and that is when people don't give up because they start thinking that, you know what the stranger is thinking about me, who's asking me to do the things for my own career.
Speaker 1: I know it's that amazing.
Speaker 2: Why can't I study for it? I love that, And that's when it happened.
Speaker 1: See for me, this is beautiful because you know, we talk about business so much and we have so much on our plate, but I didn't know that facet of your business and I'm just fascinating and I love that. I love discovering that you created this program that has mentorship along the way. And kudos to you because I couldn't even imagine a program that wouldn't have something like that. So yeah, congratulations. I think that definitely makes a big difference. So we talked about what I heard from you create engagement engaging lesson plans that address different learning styles from visual learners, auditory learners, and then people that do like to do the data and love to read. Right, yep, you you cover the trifecta and then mentorship in the storytelling, and you've got a really amazing program that helps people get from point A to point B as quickly as possible without reading a book a book, just reading a few chapters here and there. No amazing, I really really love that. Yeah, it sounds sounds cool. So so I'm trying to get even I want to drill even further because this sounds so neat. So this explains why I see so many amazing testimonials on LinkedIn for sure. Now, if there's someone that other than project management, is there anyone that or any other program that you would say could advance someone even beyond that can help their career advance? Forward? Any other certifications out there or or fields a study that they can say, you know, pair up project management with this and it will definitely help your career advance.
Speaker 2: So it's a journey. Like the people who start with the like who are more fresh out of the college, more of a junior role, I tell them to start with the CAPM Certified Associate Project Management for mid level. I ask them to do a PMP Project Management Professional, which is the most popular one. More than one million people are PMP certified all over the world. US is number one in this list. And then after PMP people ask me what's next? Then I tell them to go into program management PGMP, which is not just managing one project. You are managing multiple projects in a program, and then from there you go to PFMP, which is Portfolio Management Professional, which is like you're managing the complete portfolio. So there is a journey based on where you are in your career.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. And by the way, I'm learning stuff here because I've heard about three of those certifications. I didn't know about the high level ones at all. Yeah, So yeah, I guess in the high level when you're managing multiple projects, that also you need the skills to manage multiple project managers, getting in project manager assistance and all that. Wow. Incredible, Like what kind of field of study would benefit from that? The higher programs, Like would you say like civil civil engineering or so.
Speaker 2: Field of study civil engineering construction? If you ask me, is you know their projects are like multi like billions of dollars?
Speaker 1: Yeah, building a damn right, there's like multiple like there's the plumbing that and then the cement and then like infrastructure right.
Speaker 2: Correct, yeah, correct, correct. So that's just one. I mean like, if you ask me PFMP Portfolio Management Professional, there are around eight hundred pfmps all over the world, only.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred, eight hundred, only eight hundred. Wow, I'm one of them. Woh, okay, so seven nine eight.
Speaker 2: So the thing is that and I'm not from civil Right. I was from it background, information technology. That was my forte. So it really doesn't matter which industry type you are focusing on. It can be anything because whatever you do, you have projects, you have programs, you have portfolios to manage.
Speaker 1: Amazing, amazing. So we get the full trifecta at every level, entry, mid level, and then would you say a senior level, is there anything for like to get into the C suite, which is like completely you know, the upper echelons of the corporate ladder, so c suite.
Speaker 2: I won't say there is any certification like this to be into c suite. I have never seen that. Yeah, that may be a good idea to come up with something.
Speaker 1: We came up with something today. There's a sign here. This is dream big.
Speaker 2: By the way, So yeah, and I totally believe in that. So I don't think so there's any certification for C suite. C suite is something which comes with the I think which comes with more with experience, the real left experience. And that's where MBAs I have seen, helps If you are from an Ivy League school, from Harvard Stanford. And also I have seen directly people jumping from an Harvard into a C suite executive. So it really depends from situation to situation.
Speaker 1: Amazing, amazing. Let's get so we're almost up to our hour here and we've got about ten minutes. Let's get like three. Let's see if we can come up with three actionable tips insights. So we name this Mastering Project Management in twenty twenty five this episode, what's one particular insight or trend that you're seeing that could be applied to this year to help someone either really scale. Let me take this back a little bit, right, So the we're living in economic layoffs, we're living in a period of turmoil industries or trying to figure out what the economy is. The President is making a lot of moves that are making the entire economy go in wild swings if you read the headlines. And so, what's one insight that you think, like a project manageer that's been recently laid off, like, what's one way that they could differentiate themselves in the market and try to create that new opportunity, whether it be just traditional ways of finding new opportunities, or is there a way that they can create their own opportunity given the fact that they're recently laid off and they're trying to get back into the work force.
Speaker 2: So it's a very good question. First of all, certifications definitely help. If you have not done certifications, I would definitely recommend you to work on these certifications as your top priority. But the real question which you asked me to you was more about how they can get back into workforce. So that is something which i have learned based on my experience and I've been working with a lot of people lately who have been laid off. It's just a very difficult period. You know, when you talk to people they say they have mortgage, is school daycre expenses and all. It's very painful. So what I have learned working with all the people who I have been able to get back into workforce, there is one common answer. Networking.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: Networking is something which actually goes a long way. So what I have been doing lately, and I'll tell you this, so I have a fifty thousand network in on my LinkedIn. So when any one of my students who reaches out to me and says that hey, I have been X y Z things have happened with me and I want to can you help me with that? So what I do is, first of all, I try to I ask them that, okay, go ahead and find the positions which are relevant to your profile. What you think you can do once they find it out, Like for example, they say that okay, Amazon is offering is looking for a project manager, and this is very much similar to what I'm doing. What I do is I try to find out someone who is working in Amazon and then request that person to please go ahead and refer the person for that particular position. So when an internal employee refers the other person, the probability of getting an interview call increases. Now, the problem is happening is like there are just so many people out there. It's all about demand and supply is less. Supplies just so much, right, So even after a referral is being put, there is a high probability that you may still not get an interview called Okay, let's resolve that problem now. Then next problem needs to happen is where you request the person who is referring the other person to please reach out to the recruiter or the hiring manager says some good things about you so that the chances of you getting an interview call increases. Like for example, if I send you a text and I say that he gu you're working for this company and this is a position which is in this company, can you talk to the hiring manager or can you send an email to the recruiter that to consider this profile. Would you say no to me? I would not say not to you, And that is how maximum number of people think. Ultimately, there are good people out there. So I always say this that if you reach out to ten people, maybe three people, four people will reply. But those three four people are good people, so they will go and take that extra step for you to reach out to the recruiter or the hiring manager to go ahead and do that push. And once an email comes from an internal employ to the recruiter, then it's like kind of boundation for the recruiter or hiring manager to reply to that person.
Speaker 1: Just take priority.
Speaker 2: So that is what I have been doing late. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'll pick up on one insight that you said, right, So there's networking, but there's one more insight within that, which is finding a center of influence. Yeah, so a center of influence who's been able to create a network for themselves. Correct And if they like you, if you build a report with that person, they will then go ahead and do some of the legwork for you.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: So it's networking plus if we dig deeper, it's creating relationships with center of influences that will do some of the legwork for you and get you introduced to those relationships that are going to be pivotal for you to get back into the workforce. Right, exactly, beautiful. I love the way. I love the fact that you built this network that you can leverage now and help other people that have gone through your programs. So we got that center of influence plus networking.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: How about someone who is a mid level professional, right, and what could they do to get to that more of that senior place particularly like and let me know if this question makes sense, building on and using that skill set as a project manager, what can they do with these skills to scale up and get into those senior management roles?
Speaker 2: See? Getting into senior roles is it's a very tricky question because a lot of other dynamics are involved. If you ask me personally, politics is something which is heavily involved in company office politics. So it's not necessary that you have all the skill set and still you will get promoted. You know, you need to have the right dynamics, right relationships with people. And I always say this that you know, I'm not asking you to be a boot liquor or someone or you know, do that coaxing and stuff. You don't need to do that. But if you are genuinely doing the right things, if you are good at what you do, but at the same time, you know how to make relationships with people. One good thing about I was also laid off. I would not hesitate. I was laid off after eight years of working for that company. And I was in the beginning. I was a very good resource, you know, won the awards and stuff like that. But still I managed to work for eight years, and after a I kind of started to feel that I'm not giving my hundred person into this. I was being honest to myself and I'm being honest right now. Also, I knew in my heart that I'm not giving my hundred person because the situations, the things were, the way it was going in the organization. I could sense it out that you know, things are not right, the work is getting reduced and all. There could have been two ways I could have pivoted at that time. One I could have taken shown more initiatives. I could have put my leg into multiple things so that I show the real value to people. I could have done that in that time, but I deliberately didn't do it. The reason I didn't deliberately do it because I was working on you know, working on idio, HubSpot, working on that stuff and all, and my company knew about it, so there was no I'm not hiding it. I started putting more focus on that. But still for eight years I've worked for that company. I could have easily got lid off much prior to eight years. You know why I got didn't get laid off for eight years.
Speaker 1: Let's hear it.
Speaker 2: Relationship. There we go, just relationship, networking. I had a relationship with everyone. And let me tell you, I was never a bootleger. If you ask me, I use this word bootleger, he's.
Speaker 1: Not a bootleger. I can't even say the word I was.
Speaker 2: I was never. I was never that. But I had relationships. I always used to go to personal level to people, try to talk to them, understand what's going on at their personal level, they will try to talk to me. And that is where you build so much reper with people that when they are at the table where they are saying that, oh, should we let go this person or this person? No, no, no is a nice guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah no, I agree with you there. So we can take a step back. We talked about networking center of influences. Don't forget to network within your organization, correct. You know, sometimes we can fall into a trap of just going to lunch by ourselves, or just eating and not interacting with our colleagues. And just so, I think one thing to even dig deeper into what you said is that if you're not a charismatic individual so, which is like the ability to charm others, right and build upon that, then then you're going to be at a loss, right yep. And so if you have a personality type that's a little bit like either harsh or too tense or maybe too shy, find a program that can help you become more charismatic and so you can build relationships and network within your organization. Then you don't get laid off, and you could make it into senior management up to politics. Bureaucracy and all.
Speaker 2: You know, some people go are introvert, and so some people will say that, oh, I'm not a charismatic person. But let me tell you, even though you're not a charismatic person, you are an introvert. You can still talk to people. So sure, right, you can still build relationships by being an introvert also, right, Yeah, it's all about taking those initiatives and steps which are important for your own career. You're not doing it for someone else, You're doing it for yourself. So take that step. Your life is going to get impacted, not someone X y Z's life, your life, So take those steps, and you need to take that ownership of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I agree with you. That is beautiful. I love that. So we had a lot of issues starting today. There are cameras here. There are supposed to be AI helping us switch cameras and making it really engaging, and Varun you've been so kind and so patient with me today, so take your time. And he's on his phone getting business done and I'm here sweating the details, you know. So we had a we had a good time, and I'm truly truly blessed that you that you allow me and gave me the honor to make my second episode and they can only get better from here quality wise. Let's hope you next week. You know, vroon. How can people find you and uh particularly your platform if they're they're really interested to taking project management to the next level or to get uh get more information to see if it's something for them or someone they know in love, maybe refer them to your to your business.
Speaker 2: Sure, So my website address is www dot e d U HubSpot h U B s p O T dot com. So E do you HubSpot dot com. You can reach out to the website, go through the stuff and there is a chat option available, contact us option available. Reach out to people. Definitely, somebody from my team will help help you out. And just in case, if you would like to reach out to me directly, I don't mind sharing my information as well. You may I may take some time to reply back the I told you the fastest way, but still you can send me an email at warun dot anand so it's v A r U N dot A n A n d at the rate edu HubSpot dot com, or just find me on LinkedIn was and you'll probably find out some way related to Project Man and you'll find it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, you'll see a rock star guitar, not just kidd. So thank you guys for tuning into the second episode of the Breakthrough Lab. Remember your next Breakthrough starts here. Varon, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, you, thank appreciate you for inviting me today. It was an honor and a pleasure to talk to you as well.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you, varun I, appreciate the audience and we'll see you guys next time. Take care, Thank you, goodbye. Ricaras