Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 1: Are get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are crying or.
Speaker 1: Turn them off. The countries are screwing it up. Gold Play inter Murals, Brother, gold Play Intermurals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started. Welcome in the Monday after Derby Week. I say Derby Week because I feel like it's not just Saturday's Kentucky Derby that people are maybe still recovering from. It's everything that comes with Derby Week. It's a big week, and it was a great week. Mother nature did not cooperate with us really on Saturday, but being there for a good stretch of really nearly the entire day, it didn't seem as if anybody cared, and that I think became infectious to where you know, what are you gonna do? It's the Derby. You probably spent a lot of money. It's not an event you plan to go to based off of weather. I mean, I feel like, if you're gonna make the trip, make the arrangements, you know, you just accept whatever mother nature decides to do. And again she wasn't great, but it didn't seem to matter to those that were there, and it was a good Derby. Sovereignty is your winner. A name that did get talked about and was always, from what I can tell view to be a real contender in the one hundred and fifty first running of the Kentucky Derby, but it just never seemed to generate quite the buzz that a Sandman or a journalism got. But no doubt it was sovereignty. And I don't know what it is. I feel like every time I say it, I'm saying it wrong. You know, sometimes just saying it with confidence may it may distract people from the fact that you might have ever so slightly mispronounced it. But let's say together, Austin sovereignty, sovereignty, sovereignty. Y think we're on the same page there, Yes, so like a sovereignation. Congrats to sovereignty. Course, there you go. It is Coffee and Company and we are field By Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us. Yesterday was a day to recover, but I'm sure there's many that needed more than just you know, one day. I was very glad to see that we got the email either last night or this morning from our boss Gus, who is not here today. He's taken the day off, which of course is good. He needs a month off. I mean, we wouldn't survive without him, at least not for that long. At least I don't think we would. But glad to see he's enjoying himself and good. This was probably the most that I've been a part of of our coverage because I did my typical interviews with just different fans and spectators there, and then I did about an hour and a half of kind of anchoring our coverage, which was which was a cool experience and a lot of fun. But you were there, and I know you've worked Derby more than one year, but you were you know, you were a big part of our of our coverage. Yeah, for sure, Yeah, I could sense that, you know, I don't know just it. I don't know why, but it felt like it was probably more just because I was more around and therefore I'm noticing things that I typically didn't notice. But you know, it's a collective effort from everybody involved, and you know, I enjoyed more than I have in a long time, actually, you know, talking to people and some of them never even made the airwaves. As far as these interviews that we did, we had a good group out there talking to different folks to where by the time we were still many hours from the actual Derby race, we got the notification that hey, we're full. Basically, there's enough interviews here to play throughout the our coverage. So you guys are good, sit back and enjoy yourself. And uh, oh yeah, that's what we did. But you know, of the people I talked to, I don't even know if this one ended up in the entirety of our coverage, but you know, there was a guy who who has gone had been to forty or forty seven, I think Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 3: Yes, I heard that it was on the montage.
Speaker 2: That's right, Okay, yeah, that's right. That's where I knew there was some I knew I'd heard reference of that at some point. I listened to that early this morning when I got up and I was thinking, Okay, when would I have heard it. I wouldn't have heard it live, but that's when I heard it. Sty sand Mine made the montage. Yeah, So, which, by the way, we do we do every year we have a montage about fifteen minutes of just our day right here, well not right here, but you know, across the hall within our family here at ihare on news Radio eight forty WHS and Jim Bin will put together a nice little fifteen sixteen minute, you know, montage of everything and we'll let you guys hear that a few times throughout the show today, probably going to plan for it towards the end of this hour. Yeah, but it's it's just kind of a good quick I mean, it's not super quick, especially considering the type of audio we typically play on the show. However, I mean it has everything that really it basically packs in our derby day start to finish our coverage and of course the race itself into about a fifteen minute clip. So we can relive that and look forward to doing that. But I know what we talked about last week. But back to the guy that I interviewed that was included in the montage, I mean he came to u of L as a student many many years ago, and that's when he came to his first derby, and he's basically been to about everyone since then.
Speaker 3: And I mean, if.
Speaker 2: That it didn't live here either, by way, he lives in Pittsburgh, but again he I guess got familiar with Churchill Downs and horse racing whenever he was a student at u of L, long before U of L is even close to kind of you know what it is now, And it just it was another reminder that it's kind of cool that, like, this is such a special event to so many people across the world, and it's right here in our hometown. And it's not like I've never knew this before. But I don't know, maybe it's just me getting more older and mature and wise and realizing, hey, this is a pretty cool thing that we have this yere, all eyes are on us for longer than two minutes, but of course it's a two minute race, which really I think that's telling. It's such a big sporting event and it's such a big deal, so much attention surrounding it. People, you know, some of the most successful, influential people in the world want to be a part of it at some point because it's just you know, the pageantry, everything that comes with it, But it's just a two minute thing, you know what I mean. Like if you come to the derby, it's longer than two minutes, and you have the whole day, but like the real big spotlight is for that two minutes, and not many cities can say they have that, you know what I mean? Like a have an event where really everything seems to kind of stop. Maybe I am exaggerating it slightly, but you know, it kind of seems that way. And then you see the amount of people who in fact do watch it who aren't there. It kind of makes me feel even more as if you know, damn, this thing is even bigger and more special than I thought. Of all the people you talked to, is there one that stood out more than the others.
Speaker 4: I got to talk to a guy and his love I'm assuming that was his wife in the Paddock area, and he was a he was how do you say?
Speaker 3: He was an auctioneer?
Speaker 4: Okay, he was like the guy he got twenty overhaf video here and he got to do one of his little he got the going character for a minute, and they were from bowling green and he said the last couple, he said, the last time we came was one rich strike one and it was they like eighty to one. So he said, I'm going all out on the on the longest shot, and finally actually got to mingle my way over to the infield. I've never into the infield before, really, and it's a long walk ye from the grand stand.
Speaker 3: That tunnel is no joke.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this, the infield from where we were to get there, is it? I mean, I know the tunnel, but like it it. I think I walked past it thinking, Okay, I'm pretty sure that's how you used to get to the infield, But there's no way that can be how you get there now because they kind of have it roped off as if it's like super special exclusive access.
Speaker 4: Yes, but if you can easily like get turned around thinking that that's not it.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess they do try to separate it as best they can because there's part of the infield. I guess a lot of the infield that's not the all inclusive, so they do try to keep it pretty, you know, pretty clearly divided. But yeah, I hadn't been back to the infield in a couple of years now, I'm dying to know was it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was energetic out there.
Speaker 4: I got there, I did everything out there early before it got too so I didn't see any what do you call in the porter potty surfy. I didn't see it was I thought it was just gonna be this giant mud heap.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious if that stuff still takes place like the because it uses still. I saw some video like okay this past year. That makes me happy though, because you know, the debauchery and just the you know, the overall you know, rowdiness that the infield it was. You know, I'm sure there are stories that a lot of you have heard or maybe you're a part of these stories that people share over the years, that you know, really describe it as like something unbelievable. I've never even got to experience that, because that was like long before, you know, we're talking like probably in the nineties and even before that. But even like in the last ten years or so, the infield it got a little bit more classy I think than it used to be. And you know, it used to I think it just used to be considered Okay, we don't care about the snobby stuff. We're here. We want to bet on the ponies, and we're gonna get drunk, and if it rains, we might just get sloppy and you know, do belly flops into the mud, because that's just we. There was a level of not really giving a day am in the infield that I'm not really sure if it's there anymore, but I mean, at least you got to experience it. My man, I'm happy that you got to see it. I mean, I'll tell you the uh, the the overall theme for me, uh, just as far as a takeaway, and it was because of one of the one of the guys I talked to early on. I mean, he didn't seem like the most engaging uh individual, and you really never know until you know you talk to somebody. But you know, he had on a suit that had, like, I mean, his entire outfit from top to bottom, hat to shoes to belt to everything. Austin it had I feel like, every single color in the rainbow, but they all he made it work like. It wasn't clashing, it was. It was quite the flex and he looked phenomenal and he knew it too, So I was like, hey, sir, you know you mind if if I get a quick little energy for you for a radio coverage of today's derby. He was like sure. So you know, I started with the hey, where you're from? And he's he was from somewhere North Carolina, but I think he said he's lived in Louisville here and there throughout his life. And I said, well, you know what what it is? What when he told me he'd been to the Derby a bunch of times, I said, what is it about the Derby that keeps you coming back that you just that you you know, you love? And he said the fashion? Uh, And you know, and I'm not someone that considers myself fashionable really at all. And this is something that that I never really thought about, but because of how dressed up a lot of people are, especially in certain sections, and just how you know, how beautiful everybody is. I mean, you could attest to this right like you know, they cover our face and what we do we work in radio like these are beautiful human beings that probably are dressed as nice and look as good as they do at any point in the year, because you know, it's the Kentucky Derby so because of that, like famous people blend in like you won't you might like everybody looks famous. Seriously, I mean I'm kidding, I'm not kidding. Like you see certain people and you're like, I don't recognize that person. But man, if you told me they were a supermodel or a famous actor or you know, somebody that's you know, very very successful, and you know and because of that they have fame, I would believe you, because it's just like it's overloads. So him saying that made it seem like, you know, it made me kind of realize, you know what, like I bet there are a lot of people here that really have way they actually may be more fashionable than I would know, because what would I know. So since from that conversation earlier in the day I ended up having, you know, I just felt like I made a little more awareness of just like how it may just be like that may be one of the bigger factors in why certain people go is because they want to they want to join in on everybody being you know, dressed to impress, which you know, they certainly certainly were a lot of people. I mean it it's a real rare thing to see somebody not extremely dressed up. I don't just mean like they got on a jacket and some slacks. I mean like they've got a lot of attention to detail in their wardrobe. And again it made me realize that I know nothing about that and probably never will. I mean, I felt pretty good about the fit that the wife threw together for me on Derby Day, and then I show up and I'm like, yeah, you know, I'm probably I'm not standing out like a bum, but man, I can't compete with some of the some of the style and some of the fashion that's going on out there too. When did you change? Because when I showed up, you did not have your phenomenal suit on. Yes, and I was thinking, Okay, why did Austin wear this? Maybe it's just because you know he's going to be out in the battlefield getting wet. But no, the next time I saw you look like a million bucks.
Speaker 4: Well, I think is after I got all my interviews done, I just felt like, let me just go aheading. It was only really rainy in the start of the day, I felt like, I know it kind of it trickled down throughout the rest of the day and wherever we were sitting, we were kind of covered, so yeah, and then I just decided after that, I'm just going to walk around maybe like undercovered areas as well on interview people. So it was I think like at one o'clock. I got there at nine, did all my stuff. Probably at like one o'clock is when I decided to change and I went into the media bathroom and it did the whole Superman booth in there.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Nice and the weather, I mean, it didn't rain the entire day, but you know, it just was in all aspects. And I'm not saying this to complain, because it was pretty It was pretty awesome to be there as long as we were. And realize one that you can absolutely stay dry there and the majority of of of you know, of the day, if you want to. But clearly nobody cared because again, the Derby's just simply not something you're making arrangements for, especially if you travel, and especially if you have got you know, if you're up in a covered area where you know they wouldn't even allow us in with the credential, like you don't mean you're never gonna get wet. You probably got somebody holding an umbrella for you. Till you get indoors and then you're just you know, you're good to go for the rest of the day. But that you know, that really stood out is that there wasn't any really get there was no givea damn about Oh man, I'm not going to enjoy myself because the weather. I mean, again, it's such a big deal to a lot of people. And I mean even if you are somebody with endless amounts of money, I mean, it's still a special thing that I would imagine, you know, it would totally ruin the experience if you just bummed about the weather. But again, the weather was not good, but it didn't matter, especially as far as just the the overall viewership. I know, people watching on TV would likely not be you know, outdoors, so weather wouldn't impact. But if you know, if there's ever any fear that maybe maybe the millions of people who tune in to watch the Derby that never watch horse racing other than Derby, if there was any fear that like, maybe they wouldn't be as interested if the if the track was sloppy, that that worry should not exist, because I mean, I think I saw seventeen point seven million viewers Yeah, that's what NBC Sports announced yesterday, marking the largest Kentucky Derby audience since nineteen eighty nine. So, I mean, that's that's it tells you, and it puts it in perspective just how I mean, how much attention is on these two minutes when we have the annual Derby race every year here and again. I tried to pay I told myself I was gonna maybe pay a little little attention to the national broadcast when the race ran, but I totally forgot about it. But you know, if you are just tuning in to just watch it because you're you know, I don't know, maybe you're in Florida or New York or Texas and you know, you just know, Hey, the big sporting event today is the Derby. So I'm gonna I'm at a I'm at a bar, I'm gonna pull it up, or I'm at my house. I'm gonna make sure and turn it on the TV. Whatever it is like when you just tune in for that, how much of what that brought that that experience is do they even talk about like Louisville. I think most people know Churchill Downs is in you know, Kentucky, because it's the Kentucky Derby, But I don't know just the amount of exposure that that that is on that that event just you know, it's there's nothing else like it, really, And what I mean is that there are different sporting events that get crazy big numbers, but this is a two minute race. Now again, maybe that makes it a little bit more appealing because they know they're not making some long commitment. But again, I found myself really last week leading up to it, and then of course the day itself, really just trying to live in the moment and and really appreciate this awesome event that we have and you know, being able to be a part of it. Clearly I'm not like a part of the Derby experience anybody else, but being able to cover it for our team on has is something that you know, I shouldn't take for granted, and I'm gonna I'm gonna certainly try not to. Now, some other things we'll get into throughout the throughout the day, because I always tried to find some takeaways from you know, post Derby that that maybe aren't just about the race itself. That's kind of you know, where that's my comfort zone when it comes to talking derby. I think you certainly learned that in the last couple of weeks. But to see the the trainer of the derby winner, you know, him and his family end up at some like and I'll get to the specific STU off it, but end up at a at a local watering hole here in the Louisville area, like imagine how I mean, I don't know if there's a connection, and I'll certainly look into it to see if I can figure something out. But there's one specific local bar here that you know, probably couldn't have paid for the type of like cool random exposure they got by somebody you know in their family winning the Kentucky Derby and then showing up late at night to kind of celebrate there. So that's just cool things that like, you know, I find to be interesting maybe than others. But anyways, we're we're loaded today, trust me, We're we're gonna mix it up. We're not just going to talk post Derby that kind of stuff. But it does really feel like when when it's Derby week and of course Derby weekend, I know that there's other things going on in sports, obviously the NBA playoffs and you know, the NFL has never not talked about. We still have a ton of players in the portal, so like there's things we'll get into, but it kind of it kind of feels like everything just stops whenever the Derby is is is upon us here. So it's not that we haven't had, you know, much to get into. It's just obviously the Derby takes up a lot of attention, as as it should and always will. But if you guys want to take us with you wherever you go, you can. You can listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. And if you want to join us on the show, that's always an option. You can text in on the L and N Federal Credit Union sex Lon five O two four three eight ninety seventy three. And if you want to give us a call five oh two five to seven one seventy nine hundred. It's Coffee and Company field by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Open a fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we get, you know, just caught up in our own bubble, and maybe we have things that occur here that I just assume are really rare, and maybe it's pretty common. But yesterday I was still recovering from from a long Derby week and weekend. And when I say recover, it wasn't like I was, you know, I went like, I mean, I was in bed, no joke before ten o'clock on Saturday. So it wasn't like I had some crazy, lively evening to where I just was, you know, I was hammered or anything like that. That was more I guess Friday. I mean, it wasn't anything crazy again, I'm I'm, I'm me describing like having a fun night on a Friday would probably not be anything exciting to any of you. But I was so wore out by by Saturday. I set my recliner at nine thirty, just kind of thinking, okay, gonna wind down for a little while. I was completely passed out by ten o'clock. And you know, that's just what Derby Dale do to you. But I was away from social media for a little while Sunday yesterday, and then I get out my phone to see Mayor Craig Greenberg post two photos that show something that like you almost feel like is not real. It's got to be some kind of like Hollywood special effects to make it look like right. You know a lot of the things you see in those movies like the Avengers movies and Marvel stuff like you know that's like all created in you know, by you know, professionals. It's not like it's not real. Well there's another view of U, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another accident that took place on one of our bridges on sixty five south coming from Indiana, there was another wreck with a semi where a driver of a semi had to be rescued because they're eighteen wheeler was hanging off of the bridge. And like we had that happen about a year ago roughly maybe a little bit longer ago than that, and it seemed, I mean, it got national attention right, like it was a national story because just the optics of that of that person hanging to rescue a driver who was dangling across a bridge over the Ohio River, like it was insane. And then this one, I mean, again what I'm seeing here from the photos, I mean, I don't want to downplay it, like all that's no big deal, you know, throw some dirt on it. You didn't even need the first responders to be hovering over the vehicle to get you out. Like, I don't want to act like this was not as bad, but like I don't know, maybe it's the bridge that it is or where it is, but I mean, that just seems really crazy to happen once and we've had it happen now twice and at least, you know, a year and a half or something like that. So shout out to the to the first responders who you know that that may not be something they think they're gonna end up getting into when they wake up and go to work every day. However, I guess you never really know what you're gonna end up getting into when you're a first responder. So yeah, again, I don't know what that says about the you know, the construction they did that you know, kind of re routed as soon as you cross over into the Kentucky side, but yeah, stay safe. I mean I cannot image being the person that is in that is in that vehicle that that you know, I guess is it called the cab of your eighteen wheeler you know, where like you sit and drive, you know, I don't I know nothing about cars. Sorry, So yeah, you're you're sitting in the cab and it's just, you know, it's dangling, no joke, literally like hovering on the barricade there and if you know, any slight movement seemingly it could just you know, I mean, it's connected to the to the actual, you know, to the actual the back half of the eighteen wheeler, the cargo, I guess, and that's probably what's keeping you there. But like I would, I would be I mean, I would pass out, like I would faint just because of pure panic. But you know, shout out to everybody who you know was there to help, because that's a very very scary situation. And I was gonna say, not something you really ever see, but we've now seen it twice and I feel like a relatively short amount of time. But it's coffee and company we are feel about. Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for getting your your week started with us. Obviously it's post Derby week and maybe you're still kind of you know, maybe tomorrow's the day where you really get back into a groove. And if that's the case, I can tell you that I that I totally understand. And the weather today really gloomy earlier, and then I don't know if it's supposed to stay sloppy, but it was a pretty wet ride on my drive end. So yeah, that rains lingered, and it's just, you know, I wish you would go away. I now found myself very much more appreciative of sunshine than I ever have. And I maybe, you know, not to make everything about me, but maybe mother Nature was really sending me a message here with what she's done so far in twenty twenty five, because the conditions have not been ideal. But you know what, as mentioned earlier, they did not stop anybody from having a phenomenal, phenomenal Derby day, all right. Five O two four three eight ninety seventy three almost slipped up and said the old number, but the new Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line numbers five O two four three eight ninety seventy three. This text says, Nick, do you think that UFL coaches will start really selling Derby as an added bonus when it comes to getting players to come and play for Louisville. I mean, I would assume you've always, you know, maybe thrown that in there every now and then when it comes to like why Louisville, Why would you want to have your college experience at Louisville? I mean, Churchill downs is certainly one of the first things that comes to mind for a lot of people when it comes to this city. Understandably so, but you know, I mean, I guess now that I'm thinking about it, Recruiting has really changed in a big way in the last you know, couple of years, because you are you know, you can sell the things you've sold forever, right, Like the city is great, you would love to live here, you can get a great education, we have great fans, and you know, I mean the things that you know, and I'm sure to they still obviously mentioned that when they're really trying to sell somebody to come and play for them, rather it be a transfer, portal prospect or a kid that's right out of high school. Like you're going to always mention things that are worth mentioning that really do in fact, you know, it's good, it's a good thing to You wouldn't want to not include that. But now it really comes down, especially with transfers, and those are the most impactful, Like when it comes to your roster turning over year by year. I used to only be freshmen. Now not at all. Now it's it's I mean, I shouldn't say not at all. Freshmen is still a part of that. But like when you think about what your team can do in the off season and which you hope your coach is out there you know doing it, it's going and getting players in the portal. Well, first of all, it's retaining guys that you don't want to leave that you know, if they were to hit the portal, it would you know, they'd be wanted by everybody. And then it's of course, you know, evaluating what's out there and seeing if you can go put together the best roster possible. And I would say, if you are, here's where you could you could spin it, and it's not really a spin, it's the truth. It's just different, right because when it comes to recruiting and really selling a young man or a young woman on why they would come and play for you, I mean, they would always be like eighteen year old kids that you're like selling them on wash they should start their you know, you know, their their first time in life away from home. Why they should come and play for you and live in this city and go to this school. Well, now you're selling to I guess you could still be selling to younger, young adults. But like the biggest names I feel like we talk about in the portal every year for basketball and football. I mean, it's twenty one to twenty two maybe twenty three year old grown ups.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So like case in Pryor, let me give you an example. He was at Derby celebrating, you know, and enjoying, you know, the atmosphere at Kentucky Derby. I just saw one of his Instagram posts and I'm thinking, now, you know, if you concluded like a Kentucky Derby experience as part of the NIL package, where you know, you get access to really anywhere you want to be at the Derby, you can get you know, you can Millionaire's Row or you know, maybe the mansion. I mean, I don't know how they you know, I don't know how they'd be able to do that, but it wouldn't shock me if they've got people who can help them get access to like big time athletes that you know, one of the reasons why they came here is because we told them that they'll get the best Derby experience possible because they'll be there, and they'll be in this room and this, and they'll be around all the celebrities. I mean, I mean, you can't really guarantee them anything other than hey, they can go. But no, I mean, I think at this point it's so competitive and clearly money is going to always be a big big factor moving forward. But you know, maybe you're going to give somebody like, let's just let's just put it this way. Let's say Austin Montgomery is considering transferring to finish his college basketball career at ME. He's either going to go to the University of Louisville and play for Pat Kelsey or he's going to go to the University of Florida and play for Todd Golden and Gainesville. You know, and it's down to these two schools and both have have really sold him the same opportunity, both have the same style of play that suits his game, and both they're offering the exact same money. Well, if Louisville could then come in and say, look, we're also going to throw this on there that if you give us this commitment, you know, let's say it's March, your season just ended, you know, if you're here about if you're here by may, we've got a setup for you at Kentucky Derby that the expense of that, the cost would actually be a good chunk of what we're paying you to be here, because that's how special the Kentucky Derby is. That's where you can offer something that nobody else can because you know the Derby of courses, and I guess maybe you k could do it too, to be honest with you, So to answer your question, I don't know if they utilize that, but why would they not try to throw something together because I mean, I imagine if you're twenty one, twenty two, twenty three, and you know, you know how cool the Kentucky Derby experience is. You're going to go to a school that could maybe put you in a position to have the best experience to where you know. And also, I mean to see how many people were there Saturday, and I'm sure there's a lot that goes into their decision to go. But like I feel like a humongous part of Churchill Downs now is just to set up for people to get selfies and pictures to like show that they're there, which again that makes sense for Churchill Downs because you want millions of people doing that to where others feel left out. They're like, oh, I got to get there. That looks cool as hell. I got to get a picture for the GRAM if they even call it that anymore. I felt really old corny just saying that. But you know, I think it used to be a saying. So to answer your question, I think it would be foolish not to include it. There may be some that don't care and don't even really know what it is, but you know, it can't hurt. And again, it's something that you can utilize to your advantage that you know. I know there's the Arkansas Derby, but I highly doubt that you know, it comes anything close to what we have here at Churchill Downs for the annual Kentucky Derby. All right, so Bill Mott, of course, you know he was a part of that winning crew on Saturday for Sovereignty, and I just thought this was, you know, it's a random and you know, seemingly spontaneous way to celebrate that. I just feel like this this business, this restaurant, Joel Those Joel's older than der which is like a beloved local dive bar, it closed down for a little while and then reopen. I think under different ownership. I could be wrong. I'll stand corrected if that's not the case. But I mean, it's it's it's it's been a known bar slash watering hole around in the Louisville area for a long long time. And it's a really cool atmosphere too. I don't I'm not a regular by any means, but I've been a handful of times, and uh, it's it's an awesome place. But I'm dying to know if there's some kind of a connection here, because there's a picture that that that came out on I guess it was Saturday evening. It might have been Ed de Rosa who who first put it out on Twitter, because yeah, I think he grabbed it from someone's uh from someone's TikTok where it shows Bill Mott celebrating at at Joe's older than dirt.
Speaker 3: What's he really?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah so but.
Speaker 2: But but think about being Joe's older than dirt, like and maybe there's a connection here, like maybe he like maybe they knew he was gonna come there regardless off his horse won or not, because you know, he he loves that place, but like you can get some real I mean, you're you're getting exposure here that you didn't have to pay a dime for, you know what I mean, Like, cause it's just it's become a story that includes your business. Right, it's not a paid ad. He didn't show up there, you know, to to you know, do the Hey, I'm Bill Maud And after winning the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs, I head right over to Joe's Older than Dirt Like yeah, but it's just spontaneous, but makes that that's an even bigger sales pitch, right, Like that's why the best way to have someone endorse your product that has a platform is if for it to be real, to be genuine, Right, it's not, it's not just something that seems like a forced advertisement or something like that. So yeah, after the victory on Saturday, the Hall of Fame Trainer traveled about twenty minutes northeast to the Louisville neighborhood of London. First celebratory libations at Joe's Little than Dirt in this unreading dis directly from horse Racingnation dot com. So yeah, I mean again, like the story's better if they don't know, and it's just random. They're like, wait a second, are you kidding me? You're telling me that the guy who who just won the derby is the trainer who's a Hall of famer who got his first Like you're telling me that he's celebrating with us at at our. And I hate saying dive bar because you know, makes it sound like it's it's you know, it's a whatever type of place. But you know, I think, you know what, when I say die bar, I mean respect. That's that's what I mean. Because I think a lot of places want to pop up and be a dive bar, but you gotta build it. You got to grow it. He can't just say you're a dive bar. You gotta have the history, you gotta you know, you gotta work for it.
Speaker 4: I like Joe, I bet it was pretty crowded that night. Oh yeah, it usually is on a Saturday.
Speaker 3: Oh man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there's some that are you know, built different, meaning they're able to do it. I wouldn't. I wouldn't have been able to do it. But like when they leave Churchill, they're none is going on home, like they're gonna go probably find a spot like Joe's older than dirt, have a few more drinks, keep the night going as best they can. And you know, if they did it on Saturday, they were they were able to be around the uh, they were able to be around Bill Mont. I don't know what time he was there, because obviously he's got obligations right after, you know, winning the Kentucky Derby to you know, still be at Churchill Downs all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: But even cooler if he had the horse trailer there with sovereignty. Yeah, that would be about advertisement.
Speaker 2: That would be amazing. That'd be amazing. So let's see and and I'm sorry, I guess did Bill Mont was that his first derby?
Speaker 4: Because I thought that was his first true derby He won with country House disqualify or the uh that's disqualified?
Speaker 3: I think it was.
Speaker 2: I'm reading here from from a horse Racing Nation dot com. This is a quote from Bill modesys. After we won in twenty nineteen with country House, it was hard to get anywhere, so we ended up here. We had such a good time, we decided to make it a tradition and we've come back every year since.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 2: There's there's the story that I was looking. There's there's the update I was looking for. So maybe they were expecting him because they knew he'd come through and he'd been there before. But either way, congrats to everybody involved that Joe's older than dirt. Because again, I love when it comes together like that, to where you didn't have to pay a dime. You just have a cool atmosphere. It cut a cool bar that you know people like and you they'd have to pay to get you there. You'd have to pay to get them there. They're just you know, they're showing up because they like it. And then it becomes a big story because because again he just won the Derby, which of course is a pretty big deal, there's.
Speaker 3: Live music going.
Speaker 4: I can imagine just buckets of Miller Lyte at at at his table.
Speaker 3: That that's awesome.
Speaker 2: I love and I'm reading this says in nineteen ninety nine, de Wayne Lucas celebrated winning the Derby. He had charismatic he was at Old Charlie's and which you know that's I don't is there are there even any Old Charlie's left? I mean, I mean, that's sincerely, I'm not sure if there are any around here.
Speaker 4: There might be like one, I think there's still one surviving out on Dixie Highway.
Speaker 2: Then it says here that he followed it up, meaning Lucas did with a visit to Wendy's after winning in the twenty twenty two Kentucky Oaks with secret oaths. So I guess these guys have these guys have you know plate Mew I would imagine by now, if you're in this business, you know that where you end up after winning the Oaks for the Derby, it's going to become a story, especially with the internet being what it is now. So who knows, maybe it could be your establishment that one of these winning trainers shows up to it at some point. All right, let's do this quick break. We'll come back on the other side. Let you hear our Derby montage of all of our coverage on Saturday for the first time. Really really happy to be a part of that and really proud of all of that went into it. So, I mean a lot of our coverage. There was a big, big crew. But shout out to Jim Finn who puts this together every year and does a great job doing it. So stick around. That's coming up next, right, here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, well done, Austin Love. This song will never not be nostalgic for me. I had to and it's a perfect way to get us right into this. This is our annual montage of all of our coverage that we have from start to finish of the Kentucky Derby. So here we go, just a taste of what we did throughout the entire day. Let's get to a quick time out. We'll come and let you hear the other end of the other half of that once we get into the four o'clock hour. We're not going to go right into it, but we'll let you hear the other half of it before too long. So stick around. We got to take a quick break. We'll come back two more hours. Left right here Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety he stre