Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: This week on Monster Talk, we talked with doctor Brian Regal about his new book, Searching for Sasquatch, Crackpots, egg Heads and Cryptozoology. It's an academic book about the history of the search for Sasquatch, yet not about sasquatch. I like the book and I enjoyed the interview. I hope you do too. But it does talk a lot about topics that monster hunters might find depressing. Is cryptozoology a pseudoscience? Is it a waste of time? Does real science care about monsters? Does science suppress the secret existence of mystery apes? Or has it simply withdrawn from the quest, smarting from hoax after hoax, but secretly hoping that someday the beast's scorps will hit the lab table.
Speaker 3: Tune in and find out.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, hairy creature Part eight.
Speaker 4: In Luckness twenty four, a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 3: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 2: Monster tal Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm your host Blake Smith and together with Ben Radford, a Skeptical Inquirer magazine, and doctor Kieren Stoles now a CSI research fellow and paranormal investigator. We examine monsters in their place and science and legend. In a moment, we'll hear an interview with doctor Brian Regal, but first I wanted to take a moment.
Speaker 3: And talk about a few things that are going on with the show.
Speaker 2: Scheduling and running this show is a lot of work, but it's work I find immensely rewarding. We may be experimenting with the format a bit in the future and you may hear some new voices behind the interview mics.
Speaker 3: It's my goal to keep the show fresh and to work hard to get more shows out per year.
Speaker 2: I've got some very interesting guests lined up and some thought provoking topics. I do hope you'll enjoy the many things we're going to try, and did you let us know what you like and what you don't like. We try to be accessible and on internet forums, Twitter, Facebook, and email we try to respond to your feedback. We hope you will give our Facebook fan page a try. There you can find out what's happening between episodes. Plus meet lots of other listeners and join them and complaining about the ridiculously random schedule of Monster Talk. Also, you can find out where our next public appearances will be, such as the upcoming Monster Investigations workshop we'll be hosting at the Amazing Meeting in July.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: If you attend TAM and come on Thursday, July fourteenth, you could take a workshop on investigating monsters that features the entire cast of Monster Talk. Plus I think there's going to be some other notable guests and whatnot.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Come on out, though, we're going to be there. We're talking about getting to shake hands with the trio who brought you the awful truth about how dangerous it is to be an amoruth slug. Where else can you get content like that? Well, normally I would just say Monster Talk, but now apparently also TAM.
Speaker 3: So I hope to see you there. Now on with the show.
Speaker 5: Morebstrtle All right, you want to talk about Brian Reegle's new.
Speaker 2: Book, Yeah, so searching for Sasquatch Crack, Yeah, Eggheads and Cryptozoology. So you know a lot of these books from academic presses are expensive.
Speaker 3: Yes, tell me about that, mister, I'm been publishing.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you for asking, as someone who has published with a couple academic presses, most recently, of course, the University of New Mexico Press, which published my book Tracking Chubacabra, which is actually one of its best selling titles for this, for this, for this the season, which I'm pleased about.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, part of what happens, of course, it's the it's the economics of book published titles that come from academic presses such as the one we're going to discuss today. I think I think it's the the palm Grave Studies in the History of Science and Technology is the name of.
Speaker 3: The press, and Paul Grave McMillan, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Paul Grave McMillan. You know what what happens is there's a bit of a trade off there because the academic presses tend to be of course much more scholarly and academic h and therefore they're much more reliable, But they don't necessarily have the commercial appeal or the push behind it. You know that you would see, uh, with the with the major you know, commercial marketers such as you know Avon or or you know HarperCollins, or what have you. So because they don't expect to sold as many books, they have to price them accordingly. So they sort of they do the math on it, and they figure, well, we can sell x many books, you know, at this price, but if we don't think we're going to sell them any books, and we need to recoup our expenses by by jacking up well I won't say jacking up, but by by increasing the price on the titles cover the.
Speaker 3: Price the print run, is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: So there's some minimum price required for making a run of these hardcover books, and they have to guess on the expectations when they have to, they have to make a guess of how many they might sell, and then price some according to how much it will cause to cover that on the print run.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right. And you know, especially when you're talking about something with a title like you know, searching for sasquatch Uh. It's a great title, and it's you know, it's a fine book, but you know, the book as it's presented, and I'm looking at it right now, it's an attractive book, but it's not necessarily, you know, going to be a New York Times bestseller, no matter what you do with it. So that's that's sort of tough.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I mean, looking at it is a fantastic book. Having read it, it's it's very academic in the tone of the book is very academic. It's got references, and the references aren't too Monster hunting books. They're too actually published articles and other.
Speaker 5: Or worse, he had The references aren't to their friends blog, right, Hey, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think that's hurts your book at all to be referencing my blog.
Speaker 5: So I'm just saying, right.
Speaker 2: So the entry the entry price was that it was it eighty five I think.
Speaker 5: I think at one hundred and fifteen. Wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Three thousand dollars?
Speaker 5: It was fairly expensive.
Speaker 3: I'll check it right quick.
Speaker 2: We'll get it right Amazon, Brian Riegel. Amazon's Hey, it's eighty five dollars. It's on sale for sixty eight at Amazon.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 3: I would like to read this book on a kindle. I actually, you know I have to say this is and I know.
Speaker 2: Your book just came out on a candle as well. Now all your books or your two most recent books are both available in Kendle.
Speaker 5: Now, yes, my two most recent ones.
Speaker 2: So love reading academic books on the candle because you can bookmark them and put notes in, share your notes with other people.
Speaker 3: It's fantastic, so cool, very fun.
Speaker 5: I have to I have to use the old school method of a mechanical pencil point zero five and writing in the margins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's okay too, But then if you want to share them, you have to go photocopy or notes or give your book away. But I was gonna say Searching for Sasquatch also very suitable for kindle, So hopefully he'll get that out in that no pictures unlike your two books, which both have lots and lots of photos, but I think they look great on the candle. But his book has no photos whatsoever.
Speaker 5: So right, and in fact, that's kind of a I did notice that, and I was somewhat disappointed. I don't know whether that was a publisher decision or he just couldn't come up with anything for it, But I mean there's I don't know, it'd be it'd be interesting to find out why there were no pictures in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could ask that, say, what no pictures?
Speaker 5: I want pictures?
Speaker 3: Well, I guess it's kind of in keeping with Bigfoot, right.
Speaker 5: Right, that's that's good. That's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, zing moretal.
Speaker 2: Before we get started, I want to say thanks for coming back and joining us again.
Speaker 6: No problem, my pleasure.
Speaker 2: All right. I'll do an intro here, and as you may recall, the show is recorded and we do edit it, so if you screw something up, we can you know, redo it or whatever.
Speaker 6: So okay, I'll try to use any bad language.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well then we're we can beep that out.
Speaker 5: No, no, that's fine, Like it's good.
Speaker 3: For the ratings.
Speaker 2: If you want to do a little nudity, we that's okay to uh no, you don't want that.
Speaker 3: It's not what I want, Brian, it's what the listeners want.
Speaker 5: But it's what the people want.
Speaker 6: Whatever, whatever the market demands, that's what we'll give them.
Speaker 5: A right good.
Speaker 2: Brian Regal is an assistant professor for the History of Science, Technology, and Medicine in the Department of History at Keing University. He's a return guest, having joined us before on our very first Skeptic sponsored episode to discuss werewolves and Charles Darwin, and now he's back as the author of the new book Searching for sasquatch, Crackpots.
Speaker 3: Eggheads and crypto Zoology.
Speaker 2: All right, So, Brian, your book title sounds somewhat confrontational, which seems at odds with the academic, historical tone of the text inside it.
Speaker 3: So what does that title mean to you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well that this is. My original plan for the title was called Crackpots and Eggheads colon amateur's Professionals and Cryptozoology, but the good people at Paul Gray McMillan thought that this would be a better title, so so I went with that. But yeah, it's it is. It is a little on the country virtual side, and I've already been I was told before the book went into production that people would be upset with this, but I forged ahead anyway because I thought it was important and I don't use those terms in a negative, confrontational way. They're actually sort of I use it in an endearing kind of way. Crackpots of course being amateur naturalists monster enthusiasts, and the eggheads being a professional scientists. I actually got the terms from Renny Dehinden and Ivan Sanderson, so I didn't actually make them up. When I was doing the research for this book, which took me, this is the end of a five year research project. When I was working on this. When I began working on it, and I was reading all these original texts and letters and diaries and things, and I came across these terms and I thought it was jackpot. There's my title right there, Crackpots and Ahead. So that's why I went.
Speaker 1: And so, Brian, how is this book different from a book about the subject of cryptozoology in general, Well.
Speaker 6: This is really a history. I think it's the it's the first time or if I may for a home and think the best history of cryptozoology, not cryptozoology broadly, but mostly the part of cryptosology that deals with manlike monsters, what I like to call anomalous primates. And what I did was, I'm really not I say this in the introduction, I'm really not interested. This book is not about proving whether Bigfoot does or doesn't exist. It's not a debunking book. But it's not a sort of a hay geography either. I wanted to do a scholarly analysis of what I thought was a really interesting field and see if I could trace where this comes from, how does it begin? And at the heart of it is the crackpots today kids. Concept is the relationship between amateur naturalists and professional scientists and how they have interacted and sometimes come to blows, sometimes work together in order to create a new field, or at least attempt to create a new field of scientific study.
Speaker 5: Well, Bran, I was going to say, having read your book, it was really cool for me to to see uh, sort of broader illustrations of many of the people that I had I had read about, you know, everybody from Krantz to de Hindon to Tom Slick and all that. So that was it was I thought one of the things that your book did really well was sort of flesh out these these otherwise sort of dry names in the history of crypt zoology. Right, So in in your in your book you talk about a lot of leaders of the field. Which of those really stood out to you as being the most interesting when you were researching the book?
Speaker 6: Well, that's uh, that's part of the most interesting aspect of this. The book focuses on Growers, and that's partly because I think he's an important figure in the story of the growth of cryptozoology, but also quite frankly, for the simple material fact that so much of his material. His letters and diaries and correspondence are available. The Krantz papers are at the Smithsonian at the National Anthropological Archive. And when I'm a professional historian, and when I do start a project on someone or some topic, the first thing I ask is where are the letters, Where are the correspondents, Where are those inside discussions? Where are the notebooks? Where are the copies where people scrolled sort of wacky marginalia. And that's what I look for. And well, a few people had tried to do this on a limited basis before, no one had ever really done or attempted to do a major survey of these correspondences. And so that's how Krantz. That's part of the reason why cran sort of comes to the to the foe. But the most disappointing for me, the most disappointing part of this project was ready to Hindon, who is an incredibly interesting character. Uh, Unfortunately his papers are not as available as Krantz were. What I my original idea was to run to run a parallel biography krant and to Hindon. But as I said, the Hinden papers are out there, but they are in collections, and they're in places which I tried to get access to but was on was unable to And so he there is a good bit of material on him available through other people's collections. Uh. And so I was able to flesh out something of his, of him as a person, but not as much as I would.
Speaker 5: Like to have. And I think you said that that most of Krantz's papers are at the Smithsonian, right right, If I'm not mistaken. Krantz himself is is it the Smithsonian?
Speaker 6: I think he left his body to h to this owning, along with his dog Clyde. Uh. And there he's on display, his his he wanted his he wanted his skeleton articulated along with the dog and put on display mimicking photograph of him and his dog. And that's what happened that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was Yeah, that was a last time I was in Rushing d C. I was there and I was just looking at it, and I was like, grow over Krantz. What if I heard the name of Like is that him?
Speaker 6: And it was?
Speaker 5: I was sitting there looking at it, Yeah, and it was. And then it was interesting because I think I was the only person in the room. There were probably a couple dozen people there who who knew you know about his his his connection to Bigfoot, because it was actually not mentioned on the display. And uh, well, it's.
Speaker 6: An interesting mounting of of a human and a dog skeleton together. That's really what's most interesting.
Speaker 2: I think he had bad teeth, by the way, I just saw that actually covered on an online magazine. So we'll put a link to that in the show notes and you can actually see the photo that is based on and the actual display and a really nice article explaining how it came to be that Grover Krantz was right.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm not sure if the dog is actually his first dog, Clyde. It might be. I've seen some conflicting descriptions where it said it was Clyde, and I saw some others where he said no, it was a later dog. But it's an Irish wolfhound. And the dog Clyde was probably his best friend in his whole life. It's a really interesting relationship. And in the book I argue somewhat that Clyde dies around the time that Krantz really sort of becomes immersed in Bigfoot studies, almost to the point where I think that, you know, there was something where he was so attached to this dog and had lost it. Now he's going to turn those feelings onto this, this creature in the woods.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the coverage of Krantz in the books really interesting, and at one point you quote him as saying, nobody outclasses me, at least not.
Speaker 3: Since Leonardo da Vinci. Right.
Speaker 2: Is it possible that egoism could have put blinders on him when it came to examining disconfirmatory evidence to his theories.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what's interesting about him. One of the things which is interesting about him is that he early on, by the mid seventies, I think he has become convinced that Bigfoot's real, and he thinks that it's real because of evidence which to his mind. He's a trained paleoanthropologist. I mean, he goes to he goes to UKEL. Berkeley, which is, you know, a center and still is a center, a major center of anthropological paleoanthropological research. So he is schooled in a in a powerful academic ty edition. He's not an amateur by any sense of the stressing the imagination. He's a professional scientist, and to his mind, he sees evidence which clinches it for him, particularly the Bosberg prints to cripple footprints, and then the dermal ridges and then some other things as well. And once he's made that decision, you know, he just moves forward and he really doesn't take much into consideration. I mean, he doesn't believe every single thing he sees. He understands that there's a lot of hoaxing out there and a lot of misidentification, but he thinks there is enough evidence that proves these creatures are real. And he never really looks back.
Speaker 1: And so was he ever really challenged by his colleagues.
Speaker 6: Well, not really, and that's partly because most of his colleagues don't believe in anything he's doing. He's mostly dismissed by the mainstream.
Speaker 1: They were being indulgent of him to some extent.
Speaker 6: Or world up to some of the people who worked in the department at Washington State University, the anthropology department had said essentially that, well, you know, Grover's a really good guy and he's a smart guy in all, but we just sort of, as you said, we just sort of indulge him on this and we don't really we don't really believe this is even there. But he does other good works, so we're willing to overlook the sasquatch stuff, and he never receives any sort of grants or research money for the sasquatch work. He pays for all of it out of his own pocket. And there are times where he doesn't get promoted right away. I mean, he eventually makes full professor, but that's after twenty years. That's a long time to wait to become a full professor. And part of the reason that he did finally right before he retired. Part of the reason why he did get promoted was that a young scientist named John Bodley, who started after him a couple of years after him. They had become friends, and Bodley eventually rose to the rank, became chair of the department, and he really pushed in the mid nineties to get Krantz promoted and managed to get the squeak by and so he did get promoted, But had Bodily not put in that effort, Krantz would have finished out his days as an associate, not a full professor.
Speaker 5: Well, brig, I'm just realizing that many of these names are familiar to the four of us, but maybe not necessarily to our listeners. So I'm wondering if you could if you could sort of sketch out or paint a picture of Grover Krantz and t. Hindon and maybe Sanderson, just you know, in a couple of paragraphs, just for people who aren't familiar with them.
Speaker 6: Krantz again, it was a trained piler methropologist PhD. In human evolution studies who joined the faculty of Washington State University in nineteen sixty eight, and he was primarily doing work on on Homo erectus fossils. And he had been intrigued by the idea of bigfoot and sasquatch for some years and had kind of informally been keeping up on it and collecting information. And then in nineteen sixty nine, there is a sighting in a tiny little town called Bossburg, Washington, up near the Canadian border. And since the campus or the University of Washington University is at Pullman, Washington, not very far from there, over the Thanksgiving holiday, jumps in his car and he drives up there to investigate, and he sees what comes to be known as the Cripplefoot tracks. And these were bigfoot tracks that had some strange kind of anatomical anomalies to them, and it looked to him like one of the creature's feet had been broken at one point and healed badly, And he had been He had done a lot of work on human locomotion and also human locomotion and foot structure foot morphology, and when he looked at these cripple foot tracks in his mind, he said, no one could possibly hoax this. No one would know to hoax this in the way that it was hoaxed that he or the way that it looked, And so he said, the only other explanation is that it's real. And he becomes a convinced believer that these creatures are real, and he spends the rest of his thirty plus year career trying unsuccessfully to prove their real and to convince his colleagues that they're real. His primary nemesis was a Swiss Canadian named Ready de Hinden, who had been born in Switzerland, had been deposited in an orphanage for a while, managed to get out of the orphanage, saw a series of work farms as a kid. When he came of age, he went off on his own, wandered around post war Europe for a little while, and eventually immigrated to Canada winds up in British Columbia, and he has very little formal education, yet he's a very naturally intelligent guy. And he sees reports of sasquatch which are just starting to sort of get some media play in the nineteen fifties, and he becomes fascinated by it and he determines to go find out what this thing is. And where Krantz has a lot of formal academic schooling, the Hinden has none, and so these two guys sort of go off on a parallel journey. In the book, I refer to Hindon as the anti krants You know, he has no actual scientific training, but he's deeply passionate about this, and they form this kind of love hate relationship that takes them through the rest of their lives. The hind Krant dies I think a year after the Hinden does, and so that sort of makes up the base of the book. And then there's other characters like Ian Sanderson, who is a Scots naturalist, Cambridge trained. He actually has an undergraduate degree in biology, and he too becomes fascinated by these things, and he comes to America and decides to track down track down these creatures. He's a he's a professional science journalist. He does a lot of writing. Sanderson is never an academic, uh, which is part of his resentment of the academic world, because he thought he we should have been an academic. But he spends his life hustling by writing articles and things, a lot of famous articles that are well known in the field. And he too, will you know, spend his life trying to prove these creatures are real.
Speaker 2: In particular, I thought you did a good job of painting Ivan Sanderson as kind of a tragic figure who gets on this sort of quest to find something that he may never be able to prove. Did you get the impression at the end of his life he still believed sincerely that these mystery apes were still out there. Oh.
Speaker 6: I think they all did. I don't think any of them ever really lost a belief that these creatures were real.
Speaker 2: I wanted so bad for Ivan Sanderson to have kind of like a paranormal Wild Kingdom, you know, not paranormal, but you know, a cryptozoological Wild Kingdom show.
Speaker 3: But he seems.
Speaker 6: Sure he wanted to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just comes across as that sort of fifties explorer with the British accent, putting on the khakis and the pith helmet, and now he goes.
Speaker 6: Sure, yeah, right, Well, all these guys were real characters, and not in a kind of artificial way, but genuine characters, genuinely unusual, interesting people.
Speaker 1: So, Brian, one of the most commonly heard claims about cryptozoology is that scientists ignore the arguments and evidencing, dismisspeak foot out of hands. Your book seems to debunk that myth, as you provide many examples of somecientists who did take big foot seriously. Could you talk about that a bit for us?
Speaker 6: Oh? Sure. One of the other major threads in my book is within history, we have this notion of the heroic narrative, or the grand narrative, or the meta narrative, these kind of big ideas, big statements that cover broad fields, and so you know, if you want to know about something that's sort of a conventionalism says this field is about that. And the heroic narrative of monster hunting, certainly in the twentieth century, was that these amateur naturalists, they're the ones who are really passionate about this, and they go around and they do lots of research, and they go out into the field and they try to they fight against the odds to bring the knowledge of these creatures to the public. And you have the scientists who sort of reject all of this out of hand and and say, no, this is silly, and and uh, you know, these these these monster hunters are just sort of crackpots who don't know what they're doing. They're just running around the woods, and so we dismiss whatever they say. And the reality here is that it's not really quite that easy. There were scientists and still are even today who believe these creatures are real and work to try to uh prove that. They worked as hard to prove these things real and believed as much as any of the amateurs did. And so this notion that you can draw this nice straight line with you know, believers and amateurs on one side and non believers and professional scientists and the mainstream on the other just doesn't really hold up.
Speaker 5: In your book, you talk a fair amount about the Russian and the Soviet cryptozoologists who are also interested in in in the yet and all that, was there any scientific collaboration going on among the Cold War rivals, or what was the status on that, yeah, well there was.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's a whole tradition of monster hunting in Russia, the Almasti and the Almas that are very big foot like creatures, and a similar kind of pattern developed over there where you have professional scientists and amateurs interested in this and tracking that information and analyzing data. One of the big differences between the Americans or the western is not just Americans, but the Westerners and the Russians is that the Russians actually received some state support early on. There was actually a Snowman Commission in Russia in the nineteen fifties because there had been some sightings by several respective scientists in Soviet Russia, and so as a way of getting at the bottom of this, the Russian government actually put together Snowman commission to investigate the phenomena and to support some expeditions into the Palmeer Mountains. It doesn't last that long because after after one or two expeditions and they don't find anything, the Russian government essentially turns their backgund says, well, that was a big waste of time, and the Snowman Commission is decommissioned, and that sort of leaves the the monster enthusiasts on their own to go to their own devices, and that never really happens here. There's really never any official state or academic support for a monster hunting in America.
Speaker 2: And we didn't need it. We had millionaire Tom Slick, right, Yeah, Well, there was.
Speaker 6: A benefactor involved the the the enigmatic Texas oil millionaire Tom Slick, who actually supports puts up the money for a number of expeditions in Asia define the Yetti and here in the States to find Bigfoot. It would have gone on supporting this head died tragically young in a plane crash.
Speaker 5: Just so basically the claim that again we sort of touched on this before, but the claim that I sometimes here that the reason we haven't found bad evidence for Bigfoot, for example, is because there's no money behind it or there's no real effort. It doesn't sound like that's quite true.
Speaker 6: Well, there has been money behind it, and now today in the early twenty fourth century, you have a number of television shows and TV series that pump money into the search with the same results.
Speaker 2: So there's always this sort of romanticized view of the search for Yetti. You've got skilled mountain climbers coming back with stories.
Speaker 3: You've got this millionaire. There's a story.
Speaker 2: About Jimmy Stewart being involved in stealing the parts. Your book was the first to ever inform me about the involvement of the CIA and the search for the yetty, can you talk about.
Speaker 5: That little bit?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I'm not actually the first person to talk about this. Lauren Coleman has actually done some work.
Speaker 3: Sorry Lauren, but there but.
Speaker 6: There is some really interesting, intriguing uh intelligence connections here. A number of the uh, what we might call the Golden Age monster hunters, Ivan Sanderson, UH, Georgie Agayino, and Carlon Kuhn. UH. They all had intelligence backgrounds. Againo was an OSS agent in the Far East.
Speaker 2: UH.
Speaker 6: Cohn was a OSS agent in North Africa. And supposedly Ivan Sanderson had British intelligence British naval intelligence connections. Uh. There had been accusations of that Peter Byrne, the another one of the grand old men of of monster hunting, that he had intelligence connections. It's been alleged that Tom Slick had CIA connections and that they were contacted and that when they especially in the Asia phase. Because you have to remember the sort of geopolitical situation that's going on in the nineteen fifties. Ti Bet and Nepal are right there, up next to China, wedged in between India, which was still part of the British Empire, and you know, the Chinese Revolution had taken place, and they had invaded Tibet, and things were, you know, were really hopping over there. And in the middle of it, there's a monster, and so this is an excuse for Westerners to come looking for this thing. And the Chinese, for example, and the Russians, we're both convinced that all these guys were spies. The guys on the western side were convinced that all the Russians who were running around were spies. Everybody seems to have been spying on everybody else. Life Magazine was involved. And while I was never able to actually prove one way or another what was happening, it's clear that there was some Western intelligence involvement in the Tibetan Nepal YETI search.
Speaker 1: These are Bigfoot conspiracy theories.
Speaker 6: See well, I'm not sure for it really was a conspiracy theory and that it has no basis. I think it does have some basis. I think what happened is these guys had. There's two things going on. You had this group of guys who are genuinely interested in going to Central Asia and proving once and for all that the Yeti exists. They just happened to have intelligence connections and are going to a place where in the nineteen fifties, the US government, the British government, the government of India would be very interested to find out what's going on along the Tibet China border. And so these these elements kind of collide in an almost comical way. There's this Russian name Lusanovich who is living in Nepal who wants to when he hears about the existence of the Yeti, he wants to get nets in a cage and throw a net over the over the yetty and bring them back alive. And Carl Kuhn wants to do the same thing. And so you have all these guys running around and they're all spying on each other and in the end they don't find anything. If so, if the US or the UK thought that they could get intelligence on China added these monster hunters, I don't think it really worked.
Speaker 1: And how has the search for Bigfoot revolved over the decades in terms of who's looking for them and why and with what tools and methods.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well that's an interesting evolution as well. You start off with these sort of elite monster hunters, these individuals, lone individuals. The guys running around looking for the YETI in the poll are mostly professional mountaineers, British mountaineers. And then you get some Americans in there, Peter Byrne who's Irish, He's in there as well. And then you come action shifts back to North America, Western Canada, Western United States, and then you get guys like Ready to hind In and John Green, a Canadian journalist who gets very interested in all this. And then Tom Slick comes over and he starts flowing money into the North America search, and he brings Peter Byrne with him, and then that's when Grover Krant gets involved. But by say, oh the mid nineteen eighties, that group, that sort of individual approach begins to wayne. In Tibet, you had what I call the mountaineering approach. You have these big groups of people, which is the YETTI searches were modeled on traditional mountain climbing projects. We have lots of people porters carrying like a long, live, very romantic scene of a long line of porters heading off into the distance carrying boxes on their heads. As the as the group of Western explorers upfront leads everything and that kind of dissipates. They try the expedition approach here in the States for a little while, but that doesn't really work out, and so what happens is it evolves into these sort of loane researchers, maybe in pairs whatever, really enlarge groups moving around the Pacific Northwest looking for these things. By the nineteen eighties, a kind of new animal comes along, and that's the that's the monster hunting group. And that's the kind of American invention or American slash Canadian invention where you have local people. The early guys, the Golden Age guys, they went wherever the evidence led them. They had to go to China. They went to China, they had to go to Tibet, they went to Tibet, they had to go to Canada, you know, wherever they went. But the low cool guys, which is sort of make up the bulk of monster hunters now, they tended to stay in their own neighborhoods and they would collect groups of like minded individuals and they would search for whatever monster was supposedly located in their area. And then by the end of the century into the twenty first century, you see a kind of resurgence of the elite monster hunter and English cryptosologists sort of come back to the forefront, and you have individuals like say Richard Freeman, who travels the world in search of cryptids and they're sort of generalists. Where on the American side, now you have people who look just for Bigfoot. In the English tradition, you have cryptosologists who look for Lackness monster or mechillan Benbe or Chupicabra or the Iran Pendec. They sort of they go where the monsters lead them. And that's sort of the state we're at. Now. You have these kind of elite globe trotting cryptosologists, and then you had the local groups looking for just their particular monster and their particular neighborhood.
Speaker 5: And so where do you think that that's going to lead us? I mean, you do you do you think that the golden age of the of this this sort of investigation has died along with Krantz and Slick in renee or do you think that there's going to be resurgence or what do you think it'd look like, you know, in twenty or fifty years.
Speaker 6: Well, most of the most of the elite what I call the elite monster on today are they're not quite the I mean this's early characters, but they're not quite the flamboyant characters like the Ivan Sanderson's and the ready to Hindus. And I mean in a good way. I don't mean to detegrate that this. There's several people do really good work now and if anybody's going to find this, you know, prove this these things to be real, it'll be them. But they are of a different of a different style, I guess.
Speaker 5: Than the Golden Age, right, But I guess what I meant was not so much that the characters that are looking for them, but in terms of where you think it'll be. I mean, do you think that in twenty years or one hundred years people will still be looking for Bigfoot? Do you think that it'll eventually be abandoned if there's no evidence, or what do you think is going to happen with that?
Speaker 6: Well, that's a you know, that's prophecy, is not really my area, but I you know, who knows. I mean, if if nothing is ever found, then it may very well just sort of gradually peter out and and we'll find some other odds thing to look for. But if some of these things ever do turn up to be real, I think that'll give you know, a real resurgence, a real shot in the arm. I think if somebody brought in a bigfoot carcass tomorrow, there'd be a huge resurgence in individuals, that the groups that currently exist would would expand and get even more active, and I think a lot more people would get involved in it. Well.
Speaker 5: One of the things that jumps out to my mind, you know, just sort of comparing over the history of bigfoot research specifically, is, of course the evolving technology you have what remains to be the best evidence by many, by many people's estimation of the Patterson film, which of course was shot in sixty seven. And yet these days, you know, cameras are lighter than ever before, they're better than ever before, and so you know, today's cryptozologists and monster hunters have far better technology at their disposal. So you would think that that would that would influence the search, right you would think.
Speaker 6: I mean the just as you said. I mean, there's all this technology available, small handheld cameras which give really high quality footage, yet we still I mean just recently, I think last month there was some some some really laughably fake footage came out of a supposed bix of crossing a highway somewhere in the in the rural South. And I mean, if it's all fuzzy and blurry, uh, you know, if you can't in the early twenty first century, with all this high tech gadgetry, if you can't get a clear picture of this thing when it's twenty set away from you, you know we never.
Speaker 2: Will fair enough, Yeah that, yeah, Well, you know when we had you on before, you talked about the way that the theory of evolution kind of got rid of were wolves, right, so.
Speaker 6: Well contributed all well, true.
Speaker 2: True contributed to the demise of well as a plausible scenario. Right, So you know that makes perfect sense, of course. I mean, you know, history is not prognostication. You know that it's looking back and I'm looking forward. I mean, you can make conclusions.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure maybe it is wrong to even ask you how things are going to turn out.
Speaker 2: I'm interested to see myself. Obviously, there's a lot of reasons. Give you an example, like some arguments just stay around forever, right, one is Krantz was popular.
Speaker 3: Krantz like to say.
Speaker 2: That you never found the bones of large animals in the forest, which Ben and I looked into, and it turns.
Speaker 3: Out you do it. Yeah, I know. It was just interesting. Krantz had some interesting positions.
Speaker 2: They all did, and and and these these characters, they they've done such an interesting job of making high drama out of the search for an animal in the way that some real legitimate scientists looking for lizards won't get. You know, you don't get front page for that kind of thing. There's no question there. Just making comments anyway, But speaking of a big events that did take place, did get a lot of coverage, and things that come up again in conversation. The Minnesota ice man is a big case, and now we've talked about it in an entire show on the Minnesota ice Man. It's a long as a complex story and we don't have to recount the whole thing here. But in your take on things, what did you think the biggest lesson for the cryptozoology field was from that whole fiasco.
Speaker 6: Well, one of the things that I do go on at length about the Minnesota Iceman in the book and looking at in particular how the Smithsonian institution reacted to it. And this is another example of this idea that there were scientists who are very interested in this. When Ivan Sanderson and Bernard Hoovelman's the Belgian cryptozoologists, when they hear about the Iceman, they go and look at it, and they look at it, they see, they take some pictures, they draw it, and they start telling people about it. And a number of people who had been sort of tangentially involved in the Yetti period they're now the Smithsonian. People like Dylan Ripley, who have been an ornithology who had who had also been ass man and an asia specialist. He had been involved in the in the Yetti hunt. He's now the president of the Smithsonian. And John Napier, who had also been involved in the YETI stuff, wrote the first academic book on an almost primates. He's also working at at the Smithsonian. A number of other individuals who have YETI big for connections at the Smithsonian, and so they say, well, let's go find out about this, and the Smithsonian rallies the energy of the federal government to go and find this thing. And they say, if it's there, we're going to get it. We're going to bring it back here, and we're going to study it. And that's going to be that. And they're very excited about it. And there is a whole string of internal memos. You see that this is the advantage of the historical approach when you when you take this position of go look for the paperwork at the Smithsonian, there's a there's a whole pile of memos and interoffice letters and correspondences where the Smithsonian is a beehive of activity anticipation over the Minnesota Iceman. They think they're on the verge of finding a real creature, and they find just just decide to go to their work and drive in Sanderson because he's made connections with Frank Hanson, the guy who has the iceman, and Dylan Ripley, the president of the Secretary of the Smithsonian, says, I'm just going to go to the source. And he just calls Frank Hanson and says, dude, you know, we want to see this thing. We'll pay you for it. We'll give you credit for it, and Hanson immediately starts backpedaling like crazy and say, well, I don't have it anymore. It's gone, well I have is a fake. And so eventually what happens is they, the guys at the Smithsonian decide this thing is a fake. We got fooled. It's a carnival trick that looks really good, but it's not what we think it is, and so they're going to give up on it. And that is I use that story as an example of of why scientists are often and academic institutions are so hesitant to get involved in monster hunting because they want facts. They want evidence. Scholars want the goods. They don't want stories, they don't want you know, bad video, they want concrete facts. And there were lots and lots and still are scientists and other scholars who were perfectly willing to accept these creatures as real, but they wanted to see the facts. And every time they got a fact into a corner, they found out that it was a hoax. And you know, that can only happen so many times before people decide, you know, I'm not going to I've spent you know, an individual might say I spent twenty years getting my position. I'm not going to risk it by endorsing one of these things and then two months later find out it's a fake. And so when when cryptozoologists complain about how mainstream science won't support what they're doing, this is the reason, because you can't just bring them nonsense. You have to bring them facts. I know plenty of pale We haveth apologists who would kill to get a chance to examine a big foot carcass. They would love it. They looked forward to it with great anticipation, but no one's ever bought them one.
Speaker 5: I think that you make a great point with that, and I'm glad. I'm glad you're pointing that out. One other quick question about the Minnesota ice man, is there anybody today, even today that you know of, that still believes it was real?
Speaker 6: You know, it's one of those things where it was so close, you know, so many people got so excited about this was going to be it, and then it turned out to be nothing. I'm sure there are still people around who think it it was.
Speaker 5: Real, Okay, I just didn't know if there's any prominent people, not.
Speaker 6: That I'm aware of, But that doesn't mean there aren't any out there.
Speaker 1: So, Brian, what are the main arguments for and against cryptozoology as a legitimate science.
Speaker 6: Well, I guess part of the reason when when cryptozoologists are asked about this, they often put forward a number of examples, things like the okapi, a kind of a kind of antelope with long horns from Africa and a very interesting stripe body pattern, and of course the megamouth shark and the perennial cryptozoology showstop or the seilcan and they say, well, here are examples of animals which were not We're either thought to not exist or we're known only from the fossil record. And then but a band they find live ones. The problem with that argument is that cryptozoology had no part in the discovery of those animals. They're all discovered by accident by non cryptozoologists. The basic definition of what a cryptid is is a creature, which is a folkloric creature. It's known for folklore. There are a local ledge or stories or whatever that these things exist. And what you do is you grow up and you try to find out whether these stories had basis in reality. The problem with the Olcappy and the megamouth shark and the cela can't, just to name a few examples. Is they're not really mythological creatures. They were essentially unknown completely before they were found, so there really was no cryptozoological aspect. Now, the capy, I might be wrong on the ocapy may have had some Western folklore about it, but certainly not the megamouth shark or the felcn. They were just discovered. It's one day somebody comes around the corner and being there it is, you know, creatures that no one even suspected were there. Cryptids are creatures which are suspected of being there but which have not yet been proven.
Speaker 1: And if any cryptos religis have a favor responded to that observation.
Speaker 6: Not that I'm aware of, but the the pro part of the story is that there are creatures undoubtedly out there that we don't know of, and very little time goes by when new organisms are discovered. All the time, insects and birds and flowers and even fairly largish animals are still discovered on a fairly regular basis, but nobody gets really quite worked up about them because they don't usually have a popular mythological aspect to them.
Speaker 5: I have a question about your book in general. There's one thing that was missing from its two and forty eight pages. There's lots of references, there's lots of notes, but there are no illustrations or photographs.
Speaker 6: Can you explain what that is and what everybody complains about? Yes, and inisting together. Oh man, there's no pictures. It's not a coffee table book.
Speaker 5: Is that your defense? It's not a coffee table book.
Speaker 6: Well, the actual answer to that question is there were lots of pictures I wanted to use. I found a lot of really cool unknown pictures of Quover Krantz that the Smithsonian has found some other things, but there was a certain cost factor that the publishers didn't want to pay for the pay for the rights to use them. The image that's on the cover is from my own collection. That's from a Bickerstaff's Boston Almanac from the seventeen eighties, a drawing which looks for all the world like Bigfoot, but it's actually a crude copy of a famous illustration from the British the pioneering British private college Edward Tyson in his book Anatomy the Pigmies. But when I saw it. I said, oh, that's I gotta I gotta have that, and so we put on the cover.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, I'll pay for it. I'll forgive you for the for the for the lack of illustrations, because it is it is a damn fine book.
Speaker 6: But I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: I wish you had some some art in there. Maybe maybe the second edition.
Speaker 2: Well, if you do a sequel, I have some really good, clear pictures of Bigfoot if you need them.
Speaker 6: Okay, great, great, Yeah, books without pictures, that's right, that's right. And there were a number of people who originally were going to let me use photographs and artwork, but then change their minds.
Speaker 3: So okay. So we've talked a lot about the people. We've talked a lot about the history.
Speaker 2: What about, in particular the skeptics, Since this is kind of a show by skeptics, you talk a lot about the position that skeptics take on each of these people's work, and particularly in the Patterson case, for example, you talk about when Greg Long's book came out, how the skeptics dealt with that. Can you talk a little bit about how skepticism has informed or impacted the field of cryptology.
Speaker 6: Well, I guess it's the you know, it's the saying which you fight against. It's the thing which cryptosology fights against is skepticism, and it's a it's sort of a tired cliche now, but I think the only way that that skepticism is really going to change in any way is you have to prove beyond the shadow of doubt that these things are real. You have to bring it up body, live or dead. And that's the only way we're going to prove that these are real. It's the only way people will begin to believe them. I mean, I know that's a bit pedestrian, but there you are. All the photographs in the world are not gonna are not going to prove anything. You're not going to convince skeptics. You have to bring in some actual physical body parts, and you don't really need that much. I mean, the Gigantopithecus, which is the idol that Krantz believed that Bigfoot they evolved from, is really known by just a very few pieces, no post cranial material. It's just a few jaws and teeth. Yet it's completely accepted by the paleoorthropological community as having existed.
Speaker 5: You know, having known about Roger Patterson and his film, and reading both Greg Long's book and your stuff as well, it's my impression that Roger Patterson was kind of a dick. Is that of your impression?
Speaker 6: Sort of? I'm not sure if he was in you know, an Ange Learned eight, but he he wanted to succeed in Hollywood. He wanted to succeed in some way. He was born into a rural background, had spent time, had joined the US Army, had gone overseas, seen a bit of the world, and he wanted to expand his life beyond the fairly narrow confines of what he had been born into. He was a man with a lot of ambition, and he winds up with this film and he thinks that is going to sort of take him where he wants to go. One of the things that attracted me to this whole field is that these are all tragic guys. In all my writing, from my first book on, I've always been attracted to tragic characters, people who try to prove something that everyone else says can't be proved, or to show something is there that everyone else says it's not there. And that's that's why I start the book off with the line that this is a story about dreams that don't come true. These are all guys who and some women too, who put their whole lives into this thing and put all their money down on one throw of the dice and came up, what's the bad one? Snake eyes? The snake eye is the bad one going through wherever the bad one is. And yet, despite everyone telling them that that what they're doing is a waste of time, that they're they're they're chasing after something which is not there, they don't care. They just plow forward anyway. They are so committed to this, they're so wanting to do this, and in the end they failed. There is a very popular kind of plot device or narrative in storytelling where you have the hero, the scientist, who spends his life trying to prove that this thing or that thing doesn't exist. And they're they're ridiculed and there and there at their crackpots, and they're crazy, and they're this and they're that, And on their deathbed they're lying there and and just before they picked their last breath, some young acolyte comes bursting in, say, professor, they found it. You were right all along. Now everyone knows you were right, and oh the guy dies happy. But this is a story where these guys were literally on their deathbeds and no one comes bursting in, No one cares. It never gets proven. They go to their grades believing that these things were real, but but knowing that no one believed them that they were real.
Speaker 3: We like to ask our guests every time.
Speaker 2: Uh, we've only had two guests repeats so far, but uh, what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 6: My favorite? Oh, we're wolves obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, there, I didn't know asked you last time or not we added that question in uh kind of then we'll go back and check our record.
Speaker 6: Well, they're they're they're the great tragic monsters. Sure, I mean I think there are werewolves. I want to make that clear. I don't believe there are actually are werewolves, but you know, from a from a mythological point of view, I we sort of scided with the werewolves, thinking vampires.
Speaker 2: They are getting a lot more hot romance book action lately.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, a lot of teen girls apparently like the idea of a big, muscled, hairy guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe we should change our question to our you team Jacob.
Speaker 3: Our team effort, I abstain on such a question.
Speaker 5: So not just teen girls, right, Blake?
Speaker 3: Right? No, no, no, no, no, no, it's not. Apparently it's also housewives.
Speaker 2: So, uh, I noticed that when I'm in the romance book book and Blake okay, yes, yes, I read vampire romans and uh and werewolves.
Speaker 1: Well I didn't know about that, but you did, so that you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so you nailed it.
Speaker 2: Okay, she said, A my, You know, I don't just do ademmy with my monster research.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It's well, thank you so much for coming back and talking to us again.
Speaker 6: My pleasure.
Speaker 3: We'll cut out the.
Speaker 6: Art.
Speaker 5: I didn't really say that, that's right, I never.
Speaker 6: Had anywhere you want.
Speaker 5: To you thanks a lot.
Speaker 2: We'll put at our show notes and hopefully you'll have great success with this.
Speaker 3: And again, thank you so much for being a part of our show.
Speaker 6: Pleasure.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot. All right.
Speaker 2: Monster Monster Talk is proud to be sponsored by Skeptic Magazine. Today's episode was about the history of the Hunt for Sasquatch and featured doctor Brian Regal discussing his newest book, Searching for Sasquatch, a link to which will be in our show notes. I'm Blake Smith, and my co hosts today were Ben Radford and doctor Karen Stoles. Now Monster Talks theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys.
Speaker 3: Thank you for.
Speaker 4: Want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic Magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week, then subscribe to e Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visit skeptic dot com to sign up.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to buy any scale. I got all excited last night. I on the scale and it said I had weighed ten pounds less, and I was like, fantastic, and you know I'm a skeptic. So I got off the scale and got back on again, and it said you've lost ten pounds. I was like, fuck, hey, this is fantastic. And I got off again and got back on again. It says you lost five pounds, and I'm like you scale,