Speaker 1: Hello, everyone, and good morning. Now, we've noticed a significant bump in subscribers lately, so if you're new here, welcome. Now, Forward Observer produces an intelligence briefing for decision makers, and it's the best analysis you can get without a top-secret clearance. Now, our team is 100% former military intelligence, and if you like our threat reporting, head over to forwardobserver.com and please consider a WatchFloor subscription.
Speaker 2: Now, let's get started.
Speaker 1: With the morning briefing for Friday, the 4th of September, 2026. First up is our executive summary. Inside the Beltway News, President Donald Trump said the U.S. is preparing and stockpiling munitions for any contingency. The Department of Justice ended its 37-year monitoring program of the Teamsters Union. Domestically, the Young Democratic Socialists of America said its membership has expanded by 50% in 2026. The Trump administration announced the launch of Foundry School, a training program for engineers, technicians, and industrial leaders. In homeland operations, ICE announced a new record for enforcement arrests, almost 51,000 arrests in August. Globally, German police announced the fourth attack on their power grid this week, utilizing improvised rockets designed to short out high-voltage power lines. Also, Treasury Secretary Besant reported that the European Union has joined Operation Economic Outcast to isolate Iran.
Speaker 2: Also, the U.S.
Speaker 1: And Taiwan announced that Taiwan would be investing another $ 20 billion into U.S. chip fabrication. Let's move into the meat of the report. I'd like to bring on Robert. Good morning, Robert.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Matt. Good morning, everyone.
Speaker 1: All right, Robert, the Trump administration, excuse me, the Federal Southern District of New York approved an agreement between the Department of Justice and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Union to end the 37-year federal monitoring of the union. What is the federal monitorship and why is it ending now? And does this signal the end of the Italian mafia?
Speaker 3: Well, so federal monitorship, they were imposed on In this case, the Teamsters Union back in the 80s, and this was to counter organized crime influence in the union. Some of the moves made to end this federal monitorship began at the very tail end of the Obama administration. But I think this is being sped up by the Trump administration because I think Trump is trying to court the Teamsters rank and file ahead of the 2026 midterm election, just like he did ahead of 2024. So in the 2024 election, about 60% of the membership voted to endorse Trump ahead of the election. But Sean O'Brien, the Teamsters president, decided not to endorse either candidate, which was in effect an endorsement for Trump because mostly the other union leadership of other unions endorsed Kamala Harris. And traditionally, there is a break between the rank and file and union management on politics. But in this case, I think this break we're seeing like the teamsters especially the rank and file but even sean o'brien is getting closer to the administration the republican party is between white blue-collar union workers and white-collar and service industry union workers because other unions like the united auto workers have been expanding into uh universities and service industries to bolster their numbers so i think what we're seeing here is really uh this blue red bifurcation by economic stat by job status basically where the blue america is the information economy, white-collar services economy, and red America is the blue-collar labor economy. And I think this is another one of those kind of symptoms of the red-blue bifurcation. Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, Robert, I'd like to bring Jared in here, our China expert. President Donald Trump said the U.S. is preparing and stockpiling munitions to for any contingency, President Trump added that the U.S. is producing munitions, quote, at levels never seen before, and, quote, we are taking them for ourselves. Now, these comments from Trump follow a statement this week from Secretary of State Rubio that there is high demand for U.S. missile interceptors from around the world, but that the U.S. has its own defense needs. Now, what are these two statements, both from Trump and Secretary Rubio? What does this indicate for the Trump administration? Is this a further indication that the U.S. Patriot missile inventory specifically is lower than is obviously wished for by the Pentagon and the White House?
Speaker 3: Well, I think this is an indicator of two possibilities, two potential courses of action. The Trump administration... One of those being the Trump administration is preparing for this anticipated 2027 U.S.-China crisis or conflict over Taiwan. And the second being that this could be an indicator that the U.S. stocks of these interceptors are significantly drawn down, not just from Iran operations over the last six months, but from years of transfers to Ukraine. And the Trump administration is– this is an indicator the Trump administration is at least talking about suspending foreign military sales of those weapon systems to rearm, to refill those stocks.
Speaker 1: Now, Jared, I know that you were doing some research here on U.S. military equipment sales. What do you have on that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I actually monitor this every day, and the State Department is– one of the first agencies to really say.
Speaker 2: Hey, here's what we intend to approve. Congress, can you go ahead and get this done?
Speaker 4: I believe it was just the 21st of August that they had just approved another set of missile sales. These were sidewinders, but the point is they are still selling munitions. In the official reporting, they are it's been pretty routine all throughout summer that they're still selling munitions.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll definitely keep an eye on this. We have a little bit of conflicting information here. The congressional, the congressional reporting is that we are still selling munitions and president Trump.
Speaker 4: They're asking for congressional approval to sell it. So the state department is still trying to sell it.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, thank you for that clarification. And Jared, we'll bring you back for global a little bit later. Now, Robert, the Young Democratic Socialists of America said its membership has expanded by 50% and it's started more than 50 new chapters so far in 2026. Now, the YDSA said it now has more than 3,000 members across 160 chapters and the highest membership in the YDSA's 60-year history. Now, the YDSA said its ultimate goal is to, quote, build power at the campus and to fight the transfiguration of the U.S. university system. Robert, why is the DSA and the young DSA expanding so much in 2026? What's driving this expansion?
Speaker 3: Well, I think, well, first off, like the DSA, likewise, has grown the membership and expanded significantly this year. I think this is likely we're seeing this increased support for the DSA and the young DSA. The young DSA on a smaller scale, obviously, because the DSA is now has, I think they said when we last reported on it, 120,000 dues-paying members now. I think this is likely due to the younger Democrat voter base and their frustration with establishment Democrats and that they are more open, according to opinion polling, more open to progressive and democratic socialist policies, especially economic policies. I think that's why we're seeing this record growth by both the DSA and the young DSA. Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, Robert, have you noticed any significant differences of the extremism between the young DSA and the mainline DSA?
Speaker 3: I think the white DSA is probably a little bit more extreme on their public opinions because the DSA is not just an act like a far progressive, sort of on the far left progressive line group. They're also a political group, and they're running candidates in office. They're backing candidates in office. So there's also a struggle going on within the DSA as well over some DSA factions that want to be more pragmatic with electoral politics and some that are trying to maintain the more radical character of DSA politics.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, moving over to a quick update on ICE agent Castro that we've been covering here. Federal grand jury returned an indictment against ICE agent Christian Castro for making false statements after an ICE officer involved shooting in January. The Department of Justice said Castro is still under investigation and more charges are may be coming. Robert, what do you think that this indicates? Is the Trump administration, is this an effort by the Trump administration potentially to shield Agent Castro from state charges in Minnesota?
Speaker 3: It's possible. So what happened here is federal prosecutors in Minnesota wanted to charge Castro with civil rights violations and that was apparently put on hold by DOJ headquarters and now they're charging him with lying during the investigation of the shooting. I think it's possible that this is a way for the Trump administration to kind of control the news cycle on this and say, hey, look, we are conducting oversight over ICE agents because they're There have been a couple incidents like this where we've seen ICE agents exaggerated the events happening around arrests. There was one earlier this year that I talked about where there was a man, an illegal alien arrested in Texas who resisted arrest with violence. But the ICE agents reporting basically made him out to, like, be a terrorist, a domestic terrorist, you know. At the time, I said, I think this is undermining the credibility of ICE when they're conducting these operations. This might be a response to that by the Trump administration to try to mitigate that happening by charging Castro and also avoid the civil rights charges.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's also an important signal from the Trump administration to ICE, to CBP, which is that there are absolutely limits. You can't just You can't just break the law. Even if you're an ICE agent and you're on duty and you're pursuing a fleeing felon, you still have to follow the law. And it certainly appears that Agent Castro, it appears that he's misrepresented the actions that led to his officer-involved shooting. Now, moving forward here, the Trump administration announced the launch of Foundry School, a training program for engineers, technicians, and industrial leaders to build an American manufacturing workforce. The Foundry School program will be hosted by Stanford University beginning in January 2027 and host U.S. and foreign students from the Trump administration's Pax Silica Partnership program. Robert, I'm actually not familiar with the Pax Silica program. I know that our listeners probably think that we know everything here, but I don't know what Pax Silica is. Remind me, what is that and how does it fit into the grand strategy of the Trump administration?
Speaker 3: So Pax Silica is basically an international strategic initiative. The idea is to secure supply chain, global supply chains, specifically for the advancement of AI. And so that means like industry, semiconductors, electrical equipment. And as far as how this fits into the Trump grant strategy, if we look at the list of countries here that are provided in the report at the State Department announcement, This includes South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and India. And those are all countries, I think, as we were discussing before the show, Jared pointed out, they all have beefs with China. And I think this is, to me, this looks likely to be part of the larger Trump administration grand strategy to economically isolate China. And when we talked about this the other day, I pointed out that really you can't extricate supply chains and geography. In this case, they're doing the same thing here. They're What this program sounds like to me is there are going to be U.S. students there, and this is more like a professional program. This isn't really like a college degree program. And they're bringing guys to build up U.S. supply chains domestically, but also foreign partners to then return those students back to those countries to build up their own supply chains, secure their own supply chains, and build up their own reindustrialization with the idea that this is, I think, the intent to bolster this strategy to isolate China.
Speaker 1: Now, didn't TSMC have some sort of partnership program here in the United States where they sent over various high-level, highly skilled technicians and engineers to train the U.S. workforce to operate the semiconductor fabrication here in the United States? Does this foundry school sound like it's a similar, perhaps an expansion? of the arrangement that the United States had with TSMC on chip manufacturing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because this goes beyond, this seems to be, to go beyond just semiconductors. Like, this is much more broad.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, excellent.
Speaker 1: Now, let's move over to Homeland Operations. The Department of Homeland Security said ICE conducted 50,915 immigration arrests throughout the United States in August, setting a new record. Now, DHS said this is the second time consecutive month of more than 50,000 arrests by ICE. Robert, is this the result of the 287G agreements coming into effect?
Speaker 3: Not quite, I don't think. And so we've seen this massive expansion of the 287G program, but they still account for a small number of the arrests every month. And I think that's because there's going to be a time lag between when the agreements are signed between DHS and And the local and state law enforcement agencies, because they've expanded from they've expanded like almost 200 percent, I think, since January. They're up to over 2200 agreements now. And I think there's a time like that because when they when they're putting in these agreements, eventually, like after the agreement is signed, then then those local or state officers have to be sent off to a training program, sometimes at FLETC. And then they can begin enforcing federal immigration law under these different models of 287G. I think as we see that happening over the next few months, we're going to see the number of arrests coming out of 287G increasing, which means overall the arrest numbers are going to increase because there's still only a small portion of the total monthly immigration arrests. So the two data points are not a trend, obviously, as far as setting a new floor. But so far, above 50,000 for two months in a row. And I think they could be setting a new floor for immigration arrest numbers, especially as those 287G partnership programs become operational.
Speaker 1: I don't want to beat a dead horse here, Robert. But just to be clear, you're saying that you believe your analysis is that How many– first of all, how many 287G agreements does the United States have right now?
Speaker 3: I think it's over 2,200. I'd have to double-check the website again.
Speaker 1: Effectively they haven't begun full operations yet because of just plumbing problems in that the local law enforcement agencies, they haven't conducted all the paperwork, all the training that they need to begin law enforcement immigration enforcement at the local level. So you're saying that this $ 50, 000 could easily be exceeded once all the 287G agreements are in effect?
Speaker 3: I think so. Because when we published the numbers last month on Florida, for example, almost half of the agencies with 287G agreements had conducted zero arrests yet. So some of these programs have had officers go off to the training and they are currently active. But I think that points to that some of the programs, possibly a lot of the new ones that have been signed this year, have not yet become operational. And then that's also not– there's also the potential that they're undercounting those arrests because I know that's happened here in Florida with individual agencies with these 287G programs where the arrests were initially undercounted. Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, Robert, that will actually wrap up domestic reporting for today. I'd like to ask you to stay on for global. Bring Jared in here. Good morning again, Jared. Now, let's talk about Germany. We talked about it earlier this week. Police are investigating a new series of improvised rocket devices near Dusseldorf, Germany. The devices were designed to short out high-voltage power transmission lines. Here in the United States, we call them high-tension power lines. This is the third incident this week. Now, the rocket is designed to overfly the power lines here. with a trailing wire that when it comes into contact with various electrical lines, it short-circuits the system. Robert, as a GWAT veteran, where have we seen this type of TTP before?
Speaker 3: Well, this tactic, technique, and procedure was very common during GWAT, during the Global War on Terror, in that insurgents would set timed launch devices for basically improvised indirect fire, and that would allow them to set a weapon system, whatever type of improvised rocket or mortar or non-improvised military rocket or mortar, and leave the area ahead of the launch. And then so when they did launch, whenever counter-battery fire came in or there was some type of response, like quick reaction force response, they wouldn't be there to be killed.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Now, for our listeners, I actually came across this tactic technique procedure in Afghanistan myself. Where Afghan insurgents had set up rockets on a hillside targeting the camp I was at out in the sticks. And it was exactly what you just talked about. It was rockets with these improvised tripods, a car battery and rockets. an egg timer, a kitchen timer. All of this was wired together, and fortunately, some of our Afghan partner security forces were able to find this before it went off. We sent out EOD guys, and that's how they disarmed them, and that's how I was able to actually really see the nuts and bolts of this so it's it's pretty interesting that you know this ttp has traveled from the global war on terror to domestically in germany and i just want to be clear here for the listeners that while the improvised rockets have been something that we've seen before i am not aware of this specific ttp with the utilization of the wire the the conductive wire i assume it was they don't say in the german reporting i'm assuming it's copper the copper wire to short out the electrical high tension power lines. Now, attacking the lines instead of the substation defeats perimeter security. No amount of hardening the electrical substations, the transformers, is going to prevent this type of attack that we're seeing in Germany now several times this week. Now, even if the groups doing the operation are motivated by beliefs about climate change, which is what is being currently reported in German media, it is a known technique for foreign intelligence services to use cutouts and proxies for their own goals. Now, Russian involvement is assessed with moderate confidence as likely here due to German support for the Ukraine conflict. Now, Robert, are you familiar with this type of cutout operation historically by intelligence services? What's another example of this?
Speaker 3: Well, in the United States, and this was pointed out in the Cuba report from the State Department, is that the Soviet Union was using, in Cuba, were using domestic political movements here, like the Black Nationalist movements, in order to affect their own political strategies to undermine the United States foreign policy. There's one other thing to point out here. If this could be a just a domestic German far-left group doing their own thing. In Europe, the far-left groups are much more militant than here in the United States. Especially Greece is one big area where the far-left is very aggressive. But historically, it's not unusual, especially during the Cold War, for these far-left groups, like the Red Brigades and the different movements in France, in Spain, in Germany, in the U.K., to travel to the Middle East and have some interaction with what we now consider Islamist groups, which a lot of these, like the Palestinian Liberation Organization, the PLFP Popular Front or PFLP Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, they started out as explicitly leftist groups. So there was, it is possible that this group may have picked up this technique from some other type of training. that they are using for their own domestic objectives. Historically, that is not unusual for the far left groups in Europe to travel to the Middle East for training.
Speaker 1: Now, Robert, as impactful as it is what the motivation of these attackers are and where they got their training, I think another point of view here is the bigger picture. which is because the method has now been publicized, security professionals in the United States and around the world, but since our audience is primarily in the United States, security professionals here need to update their threat scenarios for the U.S. power grid, which is something that we talk about here quite a bit. Now, thank you, Robert. That'll actually wrap your section up today. Jared, what news do we have coming concerning Iran?
Speaker 2: Almost got myself. All right, so a couple big pieces out of Iran.
Speaker 4: So last night, Treasury Secretary Besant reported that the European Union has joined Operation Economic Outcast in order to economically isolate Iran. Anonymous sources in South Korea report that South Korea is preparing to send logistic ships and maritime patrol aircraft to support the U.S. 's efforts in the start of war moves. However, the South Korean presidential office did say that they denied the claim, uh, but they are in discussions to find out how they can contribute to restoring peace and stability in the Middle East and inside the street. That's a direct quote from their presidential office. And additionally, Peru, rather low level, but it is important to note that Peru severed relations with Iran. Now, I think all this is pointing towards the ally, pointing towards something significant here. The allies joining in against Iran is an indicator that the U.S. 's international influence remains strong despite the the unending reports that the U S allies are going their own way or even joining China. Uh, additionally, uh, vice president Vance held a press conference yesterday. And in it, he stated that the Gulf Arab States have been quote, begging the United States to continue operations in the Strait of Hormuz, because if the U S were to leave, it would lead to a worldwide energy crisis. And that was basically anytime he touched on the Strait of Hormuz, which.
Speaker 2: Uh, let me pull that back up for you guys. Here we go.
Speaker 4: Uh, He did bring on that if the U.S. had done nothing, this would have led to a worldwide energy crisis. Vance refused to commit to any timeline on when retaliatory strikes and a naval escort would end because he said that depends solely on when the Iranians stop shooting ships. Ultimately, I do think that this is heading towards what I've assessed here as will be the new normal where Basically, along the Iranian coast, there are nuisance strikes against commercial shipping, and that will result in a coalition anti-piracy effort.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, Jared, moving over to South America for a moment, what news do we have coming out of Southern Command?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is just a trend I've noticed coming from South Com.
Speaker 4: The last three reported boat strikes that they had, which– They went on a bit of a lull, and then all of a sudden we have a bunch of boat strikes. They're taking out refueling ships for the cartels. Now, these vessels are operating in support of Los Troneros, an Ecuadorian cartel, which the Ecuadorians are also running a joint operation with Colombia right now to counter that group. And these were clear of personnel before South Com destroyed them. Now, we previously reported on South Com disrupting a regional narcotics distributor on the water. So similar vessel, but they would distribute drugs in order to get to the go fast boats that would then carry on the rest of the supply chain. And this is another midstream disruption to the narcotics supply chain from South America to the United States.
Speaker 2: Now you and I have.
Speaker 4: Discussed previously, you've got a little bit more experience with this than I do, but those go fast have a pretty limited range. They're pretty high end speed boats, but they're still just speed boats. And they would be heavily dependent on these refueling boats to make the extended journeys. So without these, this is likely intended to further drive the narcotic supply chain toward territorial waters and onto aerial routes. And that makes this generally easier to interdict and to pressure countries that these groups are operating in to conduct the interdictions as well.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, Jared, another Taiwan element here. The U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick and Taiwanese Minister of Economic Affairs each separately announced that Taiwan would be investing another $ 20 billion into U.S.
Speaker 2: Chip fabrication.
Speaker 1: Now, Lutnick tied the investment to additional tariff relief on more upcoming U.S. tariffs on semiconductors. Jared, you're our China guy. What have we reported on this topic in the past? Like, what does this mean?
Speaker 4: So we've talked about TSMC moving out specifically to Arizona, basically from the very beginning.
Speaker 2: This, this is.
Speaker 4: Largely been, it's largely been an effort to mitigate China, China's ultimate economic effects. And it's, all of this is about just preparing for that 2027 deadline. And just to clarify that we mentioned that earlier in the show, but I want to be perfectly clear. That is not to say that, China is 100% moving on.
Speaker 2: Taiwan in 2027.
Speaker 4: And in fact, we previously assessed, I assessed the beginning of 2025. No, I don't expect China to move in 2027, but the United States government is treating it as a deadline. That way they.
Speaker 2: Are prepared in case China does. So I think this.
Speaker 4: Is part of a broader effort to just generally dampen China. And we have seen other efforts to do similar things.
Speaker 2: I can get into that a fair bit later if you want to. I know you've got a few things to say as well.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, Jared, I would like to wrap up the show right here and for the subscribers to look for our full analysis in the written report. Now, due to Labor Day being Monday, we'll be back with you Tuesday at 08 Central on the show and in your inbox. And I'd like to thank all of our new listeners. have a good have a good rest of your day and have a great weekend and stay out front.