Speaker 1: All right, Internet will play your game. Machir's Wild Mac vers wilds Mac. The Internet has gone crazy over the last week asking who would win in a fight one hundred men or one gorilla, one very large silverback gorilla. I will ask you right now, Mac, who wins in a fight one hundred max or one gorilla.
Speaker 2: So here, here's the main issue with this argument is one hundred is a lot and like, clearly you think you might be able to overwhelm the gorilla. But if there's no weapons, that means everything's going to be like up close and personal, and that means there's also like no means to having one hundred people with hands on you know, like you could maybe do waves of like eight to ten people. And so then really it becomes an argument of can ten waves or twelve waves of eight to ten people defeat a gorilla? And then that's a much different argument, right, So like ten eight to ten mes, No, I don't think so eight to ten. John joneses, No, Now we're having a conversation here. I there's a whole strategy thing that's got to be involved here, because like no doubt, we're losing a lot of men. We're losing a lot of Max. I think it's possible. I would not bet on myself or the one hundred John joneses, I see an avenue as to how it could happen, But like, I don't think you could really choke a gorilla out, So that's like out the window, right. You would have to just like maybe blind it initially as much as you can with some fucking eye punches. I don't know, it's not a Gorillas are pretty pretty dense, pretty thick, way fucking stronger than humans. I think if you're near water it helps. You might be able to drown the fucking thing. That's probably your best case scenario. But I don't have faith in myself or one hundred of myselfs against a gorilla.
Speaker 1: Mac first wild, Now, Mac, what if it was the hive mind? Do you believe with a hive mind of one hundred Max, say a mister Smith situation? Does that help?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So you're thinking, let's think, uh, Matrix reloaded here that courtyard fight scene with a thousand mister Smith's. You know that's that would be ideal if you could just overwhelm the thing. I just I don't know if it's possible, it's it's it's all about the hands on. If you get twenty guys on the gorilla, you might be able to stop it. And then you have the next couple guys come in and just fucking throat punch, eye punch. I don't know. I haven't been close enough to a gorilla to assess how many people could get hands on a gorilla. And that's like, there's something to also be said about like once the like the first ten get their limbs ripped off, with the other ninety even gonna want to get involved. So I don't know, I think it's possible. I wouldn't bet on it.
Speaker 1: Macvers Wild, But what if you are now dealing with a Mac one through one hundred situation much like a Mickey seventeen, where it's a bunch of rogue agents that might not have the same goal in mind?
Speaker 2: Oh, no chance, no chance there. The only the only way that's possible is if you know, different versions of me have different weapons or have weapons.
Speaker 1: No weapons are involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so no weapons is absolutely what's so?
Speaker 1: Like Macverse Wild, you could also look at human beings as being able to create tools out of nothing, even you know, finding your surroundings we are at the top of the food chain, macvers Wild. I believe that there is a reason why gorillas don't rule this world. Macvers Wild.
Speaker 2: We also have to take into account that gorilla is by nature a pretty you know, they're interested in things, and they're curious about things, and they're not necessarily just apex predators in the sense like I don't know, like a big cat might be like a gorilla might let you coexist with it.
Speaker 1: Well, well, so, macvers Wild, you look like a giant baby. What if the gorilla wants to start babying you? And you know, mother you.
Speaker 2: That's my life. Now I'll take that. Yeah, why not?
Speaker 1: Macvers Wild. And you could look at an example in the wild where in Japan they have these Japanese murder hornets that are two inches long. These motherfuckers are scary and these things can go into a bee hive and destroy the bees if the bees are not working together. But if they are working together, a hive of bees can take down one of these murder hornets. This thing, it's all about teamwork. Macvers Wild.
Speaker 2: Boo, It's certainly about teamwork. But again, you know, flying is a whole different thing. Like you get a couple of bees on that sucker, and then it can't fly anymore, and then it loses a lot of it's you know, plus side type of thing. One of the big things that I have in my argument against large dogs like wolves is they can't climb, and you can get the upper ground. That's not the case against big cats. That's the case against gorillas or anything that can climb, So you lose that aspect of it. I just I have no faith in a hive mind of one hundred mes beating a gorilla.
Speaker 1: Well, what the bees do is they'll surround the hornet and they'll use their body temperature to almost incinerate it.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I don't think I'm capable of that.
Speaker 1: You can't do one hundred naked macs on a gorilla and then you heat it up in the hot one good?
Speaker 2: Three?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just three, King of Queen Mall Street Entertainment. I'm good and I'm Mac, And I found the gorilla sound effects to be too boring, so I went ahead and took some donkey Kong.
Speaker 2: Sounds, okay, trying to figure out what that was. Go, yes, Mac, there's a new Marvel out that's supposed.
Speaker 1: To be Nuts thunder.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you, Mac, what is your favorite ac DC song? Oh? Dirty Deeds, Oh Dirty Deeds is good. I was thinking Shook Me all night long or Hell's Bells, Dads, Done.
Speaker 2: Dirt, cheap dirt Deeds and the done Dirt, cheap Dirt.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised you didn't just have a You know what. My favorite song is big Balls. I really like when they live that.
Speaker 2: The biggest balls of them all? What a what a catalog?
Speaker 1: That is the Beverly Hills of the AD catalog.
Speaker 2: Don't you dare, don't you?
Speaker 1: I've got big balls. She has got big balls. Guys. This song is great. Let's put it on an album.
Speaker 2: We are discussing Thunderbolts asterisk. This is the thirty sixth cinematic entry into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Plus we also have eleven seasons of television, so that makes this the forty seventh individual entry into the MCU. We are creeping up on fifty. Thunderbolts concludes, Phase five ends Phase five. Fantastic Four will be the movie that kicks off Phase six. Thunderbolts is targeting a seventy five million dollar opening weekend. I hope it does better than that. Brave New World got to eighty eight million, but again, we don't have that big name. We don't have Captain America in the title, and it's open to get to one hundred and sixty to one hundred and seventy five million worldwide. Prior to Brave New World, Google only three post COVID MCU movies were under one hundred million domestically on their opening weekends. That was Eternals, Chang Chi, and The Marvels. I think what that tells you is the Marvels at forty six million, instantly became underrated. Chunk Chi's kind of underrated as well. We don't really need to talk about Eternals. Gu this movie early on this week got its Rotten Tomatoes score in the nineties, I believe on Metacritic it was in the low seventies or high sixties early on, and we're like, oh, so this should be pretty good and rapid reaction after I left the theater and I said, Wow, that's really good. Is it great? I don't know, but that's really good. That's a really good movie, and it's mostly self contained.
Speaker 1: I also think that it builds upon what we love in Marvel movies and superhero movies where it's off brand team ups. We like team ups with characters that we don't know a ton about. Our favorite Marvel movie is Guardians of the Galaxy. Our favorite DC movie is The Suicide Squad. This is fairly similar where it's these are worse people than the Guardians, but roughly the same. But in Suicide Squad they don't really have like the self reflection of the things that they've done in the past, and you know, having to deal with that. These characters are constantly in their own heads and are dealing with accepting their past depression, finding purpose, seeking fulfillment, having an emptiness in their life, and I think the movie does a great job with that.
Speaker 2: That's a good comparison. A good movie, to sort of throw this up again, is Guns the Suicide Squad. I feel like the Suicide Squad is more fun and funnier. This is a better script, probably a better story, a little more emotional, but that's a good comparison.
Speaker 1: I would say it's more emotional. I'm not sure if it's a better script per se, and also I think it is. I think that has better pants tent moments.
Speaker 2: I agree, that's more fun, maybe more and more higher up superhero ass.
Speaker 1: There's a lot more color in the Gun movie and Baltimore James Gun movies. Actually. Also, I think that Florence Pugh is a standout that that movie does not have like a grounding force, a real force, because that one is way more cartoonish. This one has Pew and her depression and just not wanting to be by herself anymore.
Speaker 2: I don't even want to be around.
Speaker 1: That's she said that for two straight out.
Speaker 2: Thunderbolts is a PG thirteen action adventure, crime, drama, fantasy, and sci fi movie. I thought, I mean, I thought did a pretty good job at like all of those things. It wasn't too sci fi until we get to the third act and then we we have like a five to ten minute sequence involving like the void or the character of the voids. I don't know what you would call it. And that was really cool. It does a little bit of everything, and it does it all pretty well.
Speaker 1: Is Harry doctor Strange esque?
Speaker 2: It had vibes of that. Yes, this has a run time of one hundred and twenty six minutes, just over two hours. As I mentioned early on in the week, it was a ninety something Rotten Tomato score currently ninety percent after one hundred and eighty five reviews. I'll check on the audience score if we have one. In a second. On Metacritic a sixty eight standing strong, and that's that's pretty good, especially for an off the beaten path Marvel movie. This movie is written by Eric Pearson. We would know him from his work on Agent Carter Thor, Ragnarok, got Zillaverse, Kong, Black Widow, and Transformers one, so he's had himself quite the start to a career upcoming. He is the writer of the Fantastic four movie First Steps, something called Fast and Loose, and he's attached to that Blade movie that's probably never happening. The second writer on this movie Goo is Joanna Callo. I've never heard of her. All her credits are television wise, but she's the show runner for The Bear. She's written episodes of Beef Hacks and BoJack Horseman. No pretty much for her producing so far, but she obviously contributed in a significant one.
Speaker 1: It was a lot of BoJack Horseman in this movie, I'll tell you that much. There's been a lot of talk about BoJack Horseman around the office over the past week or so, okay, and it seems like everyone dipped out of that show at the exact same time when we all became horribly depressed.
Speaker 2: I never got into that show you were into it for.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed it. And then once they started getting back into the flashbacks of his mother, oh no, thank you, no thank you.
Speaker 2: So I think she's got a bright future Joanna Kalo. This movie is directed by Jake Skryer, also a person I have never heard of. He directed Paper Towns and Robot and Frank. Robot and Frank. I've never heard of Paper Towns. I've heard of, not seen. He also directed an episode of Skeleton Crew, six episodes of Beef, and other various TV stuff and music video, so it sounded like Callo and Scryer I've worked together in the past. I thought the direction was actually pretty strong on this. There were some really good shots in this movie, and like right out of the gate too, I really enjoyed the camera work in the directing.
Speaker 1: I also thought that this movie tick over two hours, flew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pacing very strong and goo to that point just looked up the ride t score for the audience ninety five percent from the audience, that's Marvel's back and it's better than ever.
Speaker 1: I called that during the movie draft. I said that when this movie comes out, everyone's going to say that Marvel's back classic comes Damis.
Speaker 2: They kind of have a point, But also.
Speaker 1: I don't know. The one thing that you can jump off of this movie with is don't just have all of your movie be assembly line movies? And I think that's what the issue say with Brave New World was it felt like an assembly line movie. This while it did have its Marvel tropes. The first act did have a lot of the same type of marvelisms. But I like how, let's say deep they go with all of these characters.
Speaker 2: I also think that because we are forty seven entries in, we absolutely have to ask the question occasionally during plots of certain stories, where the hell and so and so? Why the hell doesn't so and so show up? This movie did a really good job not getting to that point where like, oh, so and so should be there, or this hero should be here. Why is appersonal here?
Speaker 1: Maybe you could say, like where's Strange? But maybe Strange is off in a different dimension. Where's Spider Man? He's trying to kiss a girl.
Speaker 2: But we only get to that point with like ten minutes left, and at that point, you know, things get wrapped up. So I thought it did a really good job being self contained and also not mareeking of Hey, they're purposefully ignoring a certain character, a character that should be there, So that that was this movie's strength as well. SYNOPSISKW after fighting themselves ensnared in a death trap, an unconventional team of anti heroes must embark on a dangerous mission that will force them to confront the darkest corners of their past. So very much like Suicide Squad as Goo mentioned.
Speaker 1: No, but I think these I think this movie does a better job of the characters actually having to confront their past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think part of that is because we have so much Marvel history that MSU history, where this is more grounded and more real, whereas in the DCU it's it's been a bit more.
Speaker 1: It's grounded and more real with their three super soldiers and their ghost. But also I so with that, I do think this movie, if you're looking to bring kids to it, I think this might really be one of those PG thirteen movies wait until they are a teenager, because it's super gun heavy. And then also it's not something that they shouldn't see. It's something that they should see with you. And that's a good conversation to have with your kid after.
Speaker 2: That's a good point for a superhero movie. This isn't really geared to like your eight to ten year old kid, and it does say PG thirteen, but there's plenty of PG thirteen stuff that an eight to ten year old kid can handle.
Speaker 1: Just like, Okay, like, let's compare it to thor Love and Thunder. There's a lot of silly stuff in there that a kid might like, but then you're also dealing with the cancer stuff. Yeah, yeah, yeah, this I think tonally is geared more toward the thirteen and up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you. It's it's it's it's dealing majorly with mental health and.
Speaker 1: We'll get into that drug use as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah that as well, dude. This movie stars Florence Pugh as Jolena Belova, Sebastian stan as Bucky Barnes, Julia, Luis Dreyfuss, Valentino, alegra Defontaine, Lewis Pullman is Robert Reynolds aka of the Century, David Harbor is Alectionally Shostakov, Red Guardian, Wyatt Russell is John Walker, US agent Hannah john came as a of a star Ghost Oga Kirole Ankle as Antonio Dracoff, Taskmaster, Gerald Deane Gerald. It's about as many lions as task Master had Gerald Deane Viswanathan as mel Wendel, Pierce's congressman Gary, and Chris Bauer as Holt. I think that those first three, actually those first four pew Stan, Julia, Louis Drivers, and Lewis Pulman were fantastic in this movie.
Speaker 1: I agree with you, lollish their role on three out of four. Oh, okay, I didn't think Julia Luis Dreyfist and I may be talking about her entire run in the MCU not that great.
Speaker 2: Oh I really liked her in this movie. Maybe okay, maybe not fantastic, but she was very good in an expanded run.
Speaker 1: I would throw her out the well, Yeah, throw her out the window, and then I would say that David Harbor as Red Guardian, I think the comedy in the movie because he's not in there telling jokes. It's the way that he delivers his lines is almost a laugh every single time. I think that once he enters the movie, that's when it kicks up.
Speaker 2: He's good, he's pretty one note, but he's a successful one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's someone that so, like we said, dealing with your past. So you have a lot of these characters that are dealing as past mercenaries, as people that would go in there, they'd have a lot of blood on their hands. Wyatt Russell's character was at the top of the mountain at one point and then crashed all the way down to being so disliked that he then had to deal with stuff with his family because he couldn't get over it, Whereas David Harber's character Red Guardian kind of similar in the fact that he wasn't able to stay with his family because he was so obsessed with his past. But he was obsessed with the good parts of his past, and he couldn't get over the great parts of his past.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, I just I don't know. I guess I expected that out of David Harbor more than I expected, sort of. I don't know if you have watched veepku. I know you were aware of Veep and you've seen some episodes, but from beginning to end, I don't know how much you've seen in that show Julia Louis Dreyfus really is a villain, and you get kind of, you know, some of that in this role here. I think she does a really good job being very hate herble and that's not easy to do in terms like it's easy to hate a character because they stink, but hating a character because they're a good villain is different. And I thought you did a very good job in this movie to that point. One of the characters that were introduced here, or the main character introduced in this movie, is Lewis Pullman as Robert Reynolds bubb aka Century. He was so good, so good playing like, hey, I don't know, I don't know how the fuck I got here, and then like when he makes his turn, I thought he was really good, Like he was asked to do a lot, he did a lot. I think he crushed it. And I thought his chemistry with Florence Pugh was awesome.
Speaker 1: I also like the fact that he delivered most of his lines with marbles in his mouth, like he was very His diction was not good in this but not everyone should speak like that. Someone who especially someone that doesn't have a ton of confidence in what they're saying should be speaking really low and not out of their chest.
Speaker 2: Right and like looking down into the left, like not making an eye contact. He did a really good job with whatever guidance he was given.
Speaker 1: So Mac like I made the comparison early because going into it, I was expecting a guardian's experience. And while we did get anti hero reluctant hero found family, this definitely went further and you got you got it out of the shoot with Florence Pugh first scene of her just feeling empty, having this void, needing to find guidance in her life, seeking fulfillment. This is something that like Thor kind of gets into a little bit in his movies, but they went a lot deeper in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they did a really nice job sneaking in thematically in the undertones of this movie something rather heavy and and but they don't hit you over the head with it, because it's just sort of the constant beat of the movie with almost all of their main characters. And so it is a movie that This is why I was claiming that it was a better script than The Suicide Squad, because there's a real message in here that you come away with at the end of the movie being like, yeah, that's actually like there's a little bit of a heartwarming thing in here. And I know it's a superhero movie, and and we did love the Suicide Squad and there's a lot of fun in that movie, but there's just something a little different in this movie that that kicks it in certain certain areas.
Speaker 1: I like that they went off the beaten path with that theme and because of it, and I know that you say all sense endgame, sense endgame. This is the most unique MCU movie. I would even say sense before Endgame because the Avengers movies, they're Avengers movies probably sense like love and not love, and Thunder probably sense like Ragnarok, and it's uniqueness.
Speaker 2: I yeah that, And I think No Way Home stands out obviously because of all the paths that got Yeah, but it's it's obviously where it's Apples and Orange, just trying to compare this to a No Way Home, even though I might have liked them almost exact same range area, But yeah, it's it's it's a movie that I think that non super like. If you're not into superhero movies, I think you can still really like it, enjoy this movie because it's more grounded, less power type stuff. There's some good action set pieces in there that's not just a color explosion of magic like it's this is just a baseline good movie, regardless of the superhero and MCU aspects.
Speaker 1: And it's all behind the dead eyes of Florence Pugh's just dead, lifeless eyes movie. Until get a little flicker of light bub bub All right, shall we do the Gauntlet?
Speaker 2: Let's do it?
Speaker 1: Fun factor not super fun. I thought it was Actually I thought some of the funner scenes was early on when it was more marvelly. But the better movie was after they got past it, Like when they're trying to escape from the vault. You know, that's that's fun teamwork of you know, people that really haven't dealt with each other. But then once you get more into the story, it's not as fun, but it's way more interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh by the way, if you were listening to this before you go into the theater and then going to listen to the rest when you come out, there's a mid credit and a post credit, so stay with the whole time.
Speaker 1: Also, I know we haven't done this in a while. We're twenty five minutes in. We recommend it. This is actually the first Marvel movie in a while where on the ride home from the theater, my wife said, we should see that again.
Speaker 2: Wow, how about that?
Speaker 1: When is the last Marvel movie that you rewatched?
Speaker 2: That's a good question, they think of the more recent releases. No way Home, I did rewatch. I rewatch the Marvels too. Actually, yeah, maybe the Marvels. I guess. The fun factor in this movie is the back and forth amongst the crew. We're we're given here because they all have slightly different characters, and this is why we always liked the fun group team up dynamic, because it leads to the fun factor.
Speaker 1: Satisfactor. I was very satisfied. And some people have called the final battle anticlimactic. I actually liked that because it wasn't just the normal. I think the worst part of WandaVision is an episode nine. They went away from the entire first eight episodes and they just started throwing light at each other. This didn't just turn into a big punch them up. It did something a little bit different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, And to be honest, when I was watching it happen, I wasn't sure if I liked it, And then maybe be like thirty minutes later, when I had gotten home and was thinking about the movie and was taking notes, I was like, you know what, I really did like that ending because it fits with everything the movie was driving towards everything the movie was talking about, everything the movie was leaning on. Talking about it, It really fit.
Speaker 1: Talk it out, talk it through. Yeah, let's not just just try and fist each other. Let's try and really what borometer Malan was that that Tim Allen. I could have done that for Mac for a while. Let's see her borometer.
Speaker 2: No, No, I think the pacing is really really strong. It's uh, it doesn't really take any time off.
Speaker 1: It's good because even the stuff with congress whoever that congressman was, the way that he delivered his lines made me laugh.
Speaker 2: And honestly talked about it a little bit in our in our Daredevil Born Again review Reborn Whatever the fuck that that shows?
Speaker 1: I keep on calling it the wrong name too.
Speaker 2: I'm a sucker for like courtroom stuff then procedural stuff like that. So I actually really like that stuff.
Speaker 1: Halloween. Will this movie wane over time? Possibly? I'm pretty high on it right now.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe because it does sort of lack a major pants tent moment. It's just beat for beat, really strong throat, but it doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because okay, some massive scene. This isn't a super spoiler. You figure that this is gonna happen where you're gonna have Century Verse the other let's call them heroes, it's Superman Verse, the other heroes. It's not as good as say, like Justice League or even the Battle in the Eternals when they have the Superman like character in there. This is I think, has a little more fun with it. But the other ones are better looking or even think about. And it's animated, but oh fuck, what's it called the show that you're still watching?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Invincible? The first episode of Invincible where Omniman is fighting the rest of the Justice League, Like, that's fucking way better than this.
Speaker 2: And I think part of that is because Centuries pulling punches a little bit right, He's allowing them to get away.
Speaker 1: He said that I'm stronger than a god. He had a little bit of Anakin Skywalker to him. We just saw Revenge of the Sith the Gloe Eyves a little bit Awkquater Worlds. I like it better than Aqua World's not awkward, sure, it's Waterworld.
Speaker 2: No, that's the sequel.
Speaker 1: Max Credit Union. Who are you giving credit to?
Speaker 2: I think it's gotta be Florence Pew. She's the heart and soul of this movie. She's what makes everything go. They lean on her on the emotional moments. She crushes it. I think it's Florence Pew.
Speaker 1: I agreed, best Black widow movie so far.
Speaker 2: I think it is.
Speaker 1: I think you're right, Plemonade, Who are you giving pleming a two? I'll jump in on this one. Task Master Justice for task Master.
Speaker 2: I want to say Lewis Pullman, but he's probably in it too much. Lewis Pullman is maybe Rookie of the Year for this one. If I can't go Pullman, i'd actually say Gerald Deane Viswanathan is Well. I think she did a good job, being like I'm just in a position and I'm trying to do my job, but like, hey, I'm recognizing things are fucked up. I thought she was pretty good too.
Speaker 1: Oh, back to Max Credit Union real quick. I want to give credit for them two. So they pretty good movie here with a bunch of spare parts. I would say characters that we didn't necessarily love from movies that no one, No one was asking for this group of characters. But besides Bucky Barnes, we'll give them that because we've been asking for something more Bucky, and we got one pretty cool fucking Bucky scene in this But this is all spare parts slap together with silly glue, and.
Speaker 2: That's what we call it.
Speaker 1: That's what we call it. And the end result is I find a few of them way more likable. Some of them are on that path to redemption, and I do like how say, like with Walker, it was someone in Captain America Boys who was trying to always do the right thing, went down like the wrong path and now he's just a complete dickhead.
Speaker 2: Hey, did you want the uh super glup? No? No, no, oh you wanted the crazy glue?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, I'll take I'll take the silly glup please. That's the warm borge.
Speaker 1: That's the best kind of glue because it holds really well at first and you think you did the job well, and then we all have a laugh when everything falls apart.
Speaker 2: Goo Pants Tent City Excite by Mania. In this movie, I thought it was like it was sort of essentially the same sequence, but it's kind of two different scenes. You talk about Century sort of fighting everyone. I thought it was super awesome, the visual aspect of when that gets hit and then the comes over and like the ensuing five minutes was great and it was like, Oh, I don't really know what's happening here, but it looks cool.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna bleep what you just said because I feel like that's a spoiler. But it's okay, don't I.
Speaker 2: Don't think it is.
Speaker 1: Well, guess who has control of the edit? Me Jordan Hudson. That's who. It's a topical reference right there, Don Hudson, I'm the Jordan Hudson of this show. I would say excite bike Mania. I really enjoyed the escape. I really enjoyed Red Guardian being introduced into this movie. I don't think anything is like super excite Bike Many. I don't think anything is like you're gonna seek it out on YouTube. This is the scene that you need to go find. But I think on the whole it's very good. I'm maybe that Bucky scene, maybe when Bucky's like I am I'm not a fucking senator, Like what am I doing with my stupid slick back hair? I will say this, let's take the credit. What's the opposite of Max credit Union?
Speaker 2: I don't know, foreclosure.
Speaker 1: I did not care for the wig work in this. I don't think the wig work on Bucky was very good.
Speaker 2: Who's Bankruptcy Department?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, good on the wigs?
Speaker 2: Okay? Fair enough for those of.
Speaker 1: You tarty to the Mac and Goo party. We rate everything on a forty hot dog rating system.
Speaker 2: Mac.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed the overall theme and motif of this movie. I don't think it has anything that truly stands out, but I do think even with that, it stands out against other Marvel movies.
Speaker 2: Ash stands out.
Speaker 1: Old Potato Face. I really enjoyed my viewing. I'm probably gonna go ahead. I might see it again in theaters. Whoa I know Florence Pugh is amazing in this. I think that Red Guardian is one of those Coorg type characters where you can give him something really mundane to say, and he's gonna find a way to say it funny. I like the back and forth with him and the Winter Soldier because he's like, oh, we're we're equals with me and you. I mean you had super I had the Soviet version of it, like I really enjoyed those two together. I think that Walker could have been a little more fleshed out. They could have done more with what his downfall was.
Speaker 2: I just don't think we're ever gonna like that character. So I think they imply like he was on the back burner a little bit.
Speaker 1: The way that they were able to take all of these characters from phases four and five that we don't necessarily love that we got bit parts of and they're like, hey, remember them, Well, We're about to make them way more interesting. Like they've tried to pull other characters from other movies, and it's just like, what is the point of this? This felt like it had a point. I enjoyed it. Thirty four hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, yeah, I am. I'm in mostly total agreement with everything you said there. The stuff surrounding century and the some of the climax of this movie I thought was really cool. I'll won't say anything further because it gets spoiled. Hillary some really cool shots in this movie. Just in general, I thought the direction in cinematography was strong. There's a very relatable message in this movie. However, I do think that's gonna turn some people off to it because they're coming to a superhero movie to sort of get away from that, and I think that might bother some However, I do think it's what makes this movie better than a lot of other superhero movies. Like I said a few minutes back, this this story and this movie does a good job not making a question, Wait, why isn't so and so coming now? Why isn't this hero here? For? For X amount of reasons it was. It's pretty self contained and it stays in its lane. Pew and Pullman are awesome, Harbor's good comic relief. Stan Is you know, he easily falls back into that. Bucky roll Russell as Walker was solid. Hannah john came in as Ghosts is like fine, Like.
Speaker 1: Ghost is kind of underused, though I will say that you have a character that can fucking phase through shit.
Speaker 2: And I also feel like she's in the Bells out of all these characters, like we never really disliked her, thought she was bad in the first place. I also thought again, Julia Louis Dreyfuss was strong in her expanded role. I have this at thirty five Hot Dogs Goo my number two movie of twenty twenty five, behind Sinners. Same and at thirty five hot Dogs in the MCU GOO. That's my thirteen to eighteen range. I have No Way Home, Doctor Strange, Civil War, Ant Man and the Wasp, and Iron Man. So those are really quality movies, good borderline great movies, and I think this movie fits in very well in that group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have it roughly, like you said, anywhere outside of the dozen of like thirteen to fifteen or sixteen. We're even thirteen to nineteen. But it falls in I think very easily with Guardians of the Galaxy Volume three, where they're both pretty funny movies, but it is dealing with some deeper things, some heavier stuff, but you feel the love. You feel like you feel like it's not just being slapped together with spare parts from other movies. Well, it kind of is a spare characters, but you feel like the story isn't just slap together.
Speaker 2: I will say, though, I like Guardians three a tad more because it's a conclusion and it's tying things up, and it's send offs to characters, and it's a little deeper, it's a little more emotional.
Speaker 1: This is like also dealing with the character that we've known and loved for ten years It's story.
Speaker 2: But not as good close though close.
Speaker 1: I mean it is. Both are dealing with the depression of like the main character. But we've but we've known this Raccoon for so much longer.
Speaker 2: Raccoony.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to the spoilers. Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers until Max done blowing his nose.
Speaker 2: No spoilers.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: One of the biggest questions we had, The biggest question we had surrounding this movie is what the fuck is up with the asterisk? In Thunderbolts. We find out pretty early on it is the name of Yolena's youth soccer team in which Red Guardian, her father was the coach. And what they're essentially telling us that was the last time she was happy, And so it sort of becomes a running joke amongst the group, and they actually end up calling themselves, facetiously, the Thunderbolts. The second part of that goo is a double meaning. Here with the asterisk this movie called the Thunderbolts, they probably so badly wanted to call the New Avengers, and that's what we see at the end of the movie. The title card flips from Thunderbolts to the New Avengers, because at the end of this movie, in the post credit, we get the new Avengers, and this also finishes before we get to the post credit, we see them all, you know, coming towards val They're like, Hey, we would like to kill her, but we can't. YadA YadA. That motherfucker tricks them into a press conference a little iron man esque, and she announces them as her big over our.
Speaker 1: As century is raining down concrete upon New York and they're saving them. You could see the wheels turning in her head of like, oh, I'm gonna use this because I obviously can't show this shadow fella to the press right now. What I do love here is that right after she makes the announcement, we get into the credits, where it's newspaper headlines and everything else of everyone, of all these publications questioning these are not my Avengers, which is the exact thing I said when she introduced them. I'm like, people would not accept you have murderers you have. They might accept ghost I don't know, but you have three bootleg Captain Americus who are all known for being bad people and have all killed many people, and they're all well known for this. No one would accept them. Luckily we got the credits. Where is the headlines of like, not My Avengers, which is what I said to myself, and then the post credits. The mid credit was funny, but the post credit of the fighting over who the Avengers are.
Speaker 2: So this is the best little tidbit, the best little nugget in the post. Well maybe not the best, but maybe for longtime MCU fans and people that are feeling like you for the hashtag not My Avengers. So it cuts to fourteen months later. I'm not one hundred percent sure why. I think we're roughly in the summer of twenty twenty seven and the MCU we see the new a logo for the New Avengers. It's a little different, and they're talking about how Sam Wilson has his own team of Avengers separate from the New Avengers, and these two teams of Avengers got beef with each other, and they're basically talking about how they're kind of getting shut out from the space stuff. And it doesn't sound like Fury is even really acknowledging Sabers, not really acknowledging this New Avengers. They're kind of I'm not.
Speaker 1: Sure that Fury is even involved anymore, though, I feel like Fury's doing other stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh fine, whatever, But Saber, you know, they're they're sort of shutting out this new Avengers team and they're kind of stuck to just being earth bound heroes instead of space stuff. And it's interesting to note that there's they're setting the seeds for some infighting amongst our heroes, as we know coming up in the next Avengers.
Speaker 1: The Avengers vx Men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's gonna be a lot of that infighting sort of stuff. I also thought it was interesting to note here that Bob is just hanging around being a dude, but he hasn't yet gone back to century or turned back into century, because if he does, there's always the chance that the Void can creep back in this this sort of dark personality that's involved with him.
Speaker 1: It's very legionesque.
Speaker 2: It is that it's a good point, that's a good comparison, very legion esque. And the part that Goo bleeped out earlier when I was talking about pants tent ish moment when he he's maybe gonna kill Veal has val up against the wall and Mel hits the switch. You know, you see him kind of like shut down and then there's this like blanket of black that comes over the character and he turns into the Void. I thought that was really cool. And then the next five minutes when he's just turning people into shadows, I didn't know if they were getting sent into the actual void that we've already.
Speaker 1: Dealt with the getting killed too, yeah or that.
Speaker 2: And then it sounds like, or it looks like, at least in my estimation, that the Void essentially can create a pocket universe that he sends these people to where they have to deal with their like worst memories. And I thought that was really interesting, and it sort of leads into the whole theme of this movie. And then do at the very end of this post credit we get Elna talking to her AI system and it says extra dimensional ship entering the atmosphere, and you're like, huh, and you hear a little bit of the Fantastic four theme and we see the Fantastic four ship coming towards Earth, darting towards Earth, and I thought it was my suspicion that Fan four stick was gonna end with that their world exploding and them jumping into the MCU at the end of their movie. I'm pretty confident now that that might happen in like the middle of their movie, because there's no way, there's no fucking way they're gonna give us the end of that movie.
Speaker 1: No, they they might, because they've given us no chance. They've given us some teases of like this, these characters are gonna join.
Speaker 2: Movies though they've given us scenes, not conclusions.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, but not conclusions. But they've given us like, we don't know how they're gonna end up doing this, but they're kind of telling us like they're gonna enter this universe, this world at this time. We don't know how, we don't know why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what I'm saying is I felt I felt like the end of that Fantastic Four movie was gonna end like that, them coming into our MCU.
Speaker 1: Our world, our main and I still think it is.
Speaker 2: And I don't think there's any fucking chance that's the case now.
Speaker 1: I still think it does that.
Speaker 2: The credit that you jumped over by the way was pretty funny. It was only thirty seconds, but Red Guardian tried to get recognized with the box of weedies. That was a good scene.
Speaker 1: It's like Derek Lowe going to a bar with his red sox Jersey on.
Speaker 2: Goo I have here. It's one of my first notes when I left the movie, Lol, Taskmaster. It felt like this was an acknowledgment by everyone at MAM were like, Okay, we fucked up this character. We're gonna kill her instantly she.
Speaker 1: Got slip nodded. That was the first thing I thought about is as soon as she was killed, I was like, oh, I didn't see that actress in many of the press tours. Kind of like how with David Ayr's Suicide Squad you had the team on one side and slip Knot was kind of off to the side, and you remember that in that movie his head was blown off in the first fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it was also like maybe the coolest kill of the whole movie with ghost phasing in and then fucking so that was really funny. I thought the cool sci fi aspects of this movie were like those strange type stuff in the Void Pocket universe. That was pretty cool. And the whole thing around this movie was val Is getting prosecuted or they're they're they're having a court case or hearing to uh, what's the what's the world? Impeach to impeach her she's the head of the CIA. She is running this group called the Ox Group, which was working on Project Century. Basically, they were taking down and out people like Robert Reynolds and injecting them with a ship ton of stuff to see if they could turn them into essentially a corporate superhero. So you are getting a little bit of like Homelander type vibes here. So that was really what what this whole movie?
Speaker 1: I thought it was more like, who is the brother in gen v the one that's a little unhinged, can't control what he's doing? Sam? I thought it was very Sam ask.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, that it was. It was similar to that. But what it's hearkening on it, or what it's what it's talking about, is like you're being created by these corporate entities and being trying trying to be controlled by them.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you this, Mac. We heard of the Falcon cap creating his own team. Who do we think is on that team? I have some names here, tell me yes or no? Okay, Scott lang ant Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like it feels like he's gonna be a part of Sam's team for sure.
Speaker 1: New Falcon. Yeah, he's obvious. I think he's the most obvious of the Kate Bishop.
Speaker 2: So this is where I'm getting a little confused, because they were clearly setting up young Avengers. Yeah, two or three years ago with Kate and with Yolayna, and I feel like if Kate's gonna go anywhere, it'll be Elaine's.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe they Well, what I'm thinking is that they're already off to the side. I think that new cap, Sam Wilson Cap is gonna put his team together and he'll have some younger Avengers on there, and then after these next two movies, they're gonna merge together and only the younger ones will be the Avengers.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, no, I understand you're saying. I just feel like, if Sean gun to a ball, James gun to her head, Kate Bischop's picking Lena's side.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if she does, because they also had some.
Speaker 2: Again, all she does is shoot arrow, so she can't really help in space time stuff.
Speaker 1: No, I'm aware of that, unless she has to shoot a floppy disk she hulk.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think here where she would fall. She doesn't seem well light and she.
Speaker 1: Got none of that really matters.
Speaker 2: Might fall into the rough and tough.
Speaker 1: None of that really matters. No, it's just about who would Sam try and recruit to his team.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, well, I'm talking about who they would pick.
Speaker 1: If it doesn't matter who they pick.
Speaker 2: Well, it does to me because I don't think she's gonna.
Speaker 1: Help so because Defontayne has already put her team together. So though though that is the team, I'm trying to see who else Wou might go with Sam. I don't think she I'm not saying pick one side.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm telling you what side they would pick given the opportunity.
Speaker 1: Well, do you think that's Scarn? Do you think Scarn is his name? Scorn Scarn, that's the Hulk Sun right with the little Wallscarn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think that's his name.
Speaker 1: Scarf Scarf, it's Smurf. Do you think the Smurfs would would join Sam?
Speaker 2: Hundred?
Speaker 1: Sam said, all right, fine, any of the Marvels. I'm thinking that Captain Marvel is no longer going to be associated and act she never really was associated with any side, but maybe Photon or mis Marvel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, miss Marvel again. It felt like they were setting her up for a young Avengers, which might might still be in play. I feel like she would probably be on Sam's side because she was.
Speaker 1: I don't care who's on whose side. They just need to be recruited to a team.
Speaker 2: Well, they're gonna recruit everyone we've seen goo. But I think she'd probably she'd she might want to go samsaid because she's looking up to those heroes she's known for ten years.
Speaker 1: I feel like Billy Maximov is still a little ways off from being used.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I also feel like I don't know if he wants to get involved at all in any of this.
Speaker 1: You know, I feel like Thor is not going to be involved in any of this, but then will be pulled in when there is the threat of doom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or to me, like inevitably Century is gonna have to Bob's gonna have to turn back in a century and then we're gonna have to bring in a couple of heroes just to combat Century because he's so powerful.
Speaker 1: I did like that line of you said that I'm stronger than all the Avengers and one of the Avengers is a god.
Speaker 2: Therefore just kind of like you got me there.
Speaker 1: I also like when he dyed his hair blonde and he was so focused on.
Speaker 2: It do you like it?
Speaker 1: I keep on by, get them bringing it up anything else?
Speaker 2: Uh No, this is a good movie. It's a good movie that I don't think is gonna go up or go down really in the wrong long run. It's self contained, it's it's it's fun enough, there's a lot of action, there's a good message. It's a good movie.
Speaker 1: Let's get into Maxack Max. That could be anything, That could be a boat and Mac in the movie. One of the jokes, one of the running gags of it is the name Thunderbolts. It is Yolena's youth soccer team from when she was six. They were the worst team in the league. They had zero wins. One kid took a crap at center field. I ask you, Mac, what is the worst youth team that you ever played for and your most embarrassing moment.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. You and I both played on a lot of bad teams over the years.
Speaker 1: We were in the wrong division. To be fair, though, we were on hockey teams that should have been in lesser division, lesser conferences because of the number of kids that tried out.
Speaker 2: The only real things that are standing out right here not necessarily worst teams, but worst moment or most embarrassing moment for me. I think I was six or seven playing little kickers. I was on a white team. I got a soccer ball off the face, lost the tooth, tooth gone, I'm out of the game. I'm crying, I got a bloody mouth. Hated everything about it. Last time, last year I played soccer. Most embarrassing moment is between two for me, Gilly, you will remember this well. Our sophomore year we played in the state tournament and I gave up a goal from outside the blue line, which you can relate.
Speaker 1: Very much to I'm about to get to it.
Speaker 2: When we were in Canada, when we were like ten or nine or ten in that age range, we played in the canam Tournament in a division we were not we should not have been in, and we lost every game, like eleven to one. That was pretty embarrassing too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh our. I don't know if this counts. Our freshman year of high school, we played was it Belmont Hill?
Speaker 2: We played our JV team played Belmont Hill's freshman team.
Speaker 1: It was our JV team that was about to be the varsity team the next year. So pretty much anyone that was not a senior played in this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, the varsity team the next year that did well in the Middlesex League and made the state tournament and Belmont Hill's freshman team shit on our chest.
Speaker 1: We lost fifteen to one.
Speaker 2: I think I think it was eleven twelve to one to be fair. Though we had Jimmy the Spider O'Reilly for I'm.
Speaker 1: About to get to that. We also they stopped trying, like they stopped scoring midway through the game. But what also happened, so we had three goalies in the game. It was Mac, me and Jimmy the Spider O'Reilly. We rotated through all three of us to the point where they had to put me back in, Like all of us did so bad. They're like, all right, fuck it, put put goo back in.
Speaker 2: You know what it felt like. And you know, you and I years later have played in men's league as goalies. I felt like playing in men's league whe people just weren't playing defense and you're constantly facing three on ones, two on ones, and it was not fun.
Speaker 1: They also scored from everywhere. Like, yeah, we're not saying that we played well because we didn't, but also the team did not play well. Yeah, so worst team that I played on was played my freshman year. That varsity team did not do very well.
Speaker 2: That was a bad squad.
Speaker 1: I was able to play some goalie in that league. I would describe myself as inconsistent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say that's accurate.
Speaker 1: I had flashes of looking pretty good. I was not consistently good though. That year. I believe it was stoneem They scored from the other end of the ice. Now, why did I become a goalie. It's because I wanted to play. I thought that was my best path to play. I liked being dependent upon and I liked the spotlight. I'm not gonna lie about that. This was when they scored because there was a good amount of people in the crowd. We were at home and hearing the dead silence of what happened from there, and you're just like, oh, my goodness.
Speaker 2: Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe they had cleared it out of their own end and it hit off the board about center ice and came in on you at like a little bit of an angle, and you just went to go play it with your stick.
Speaker 1: I just want to go stack as opposed to putting glove behind as opposed to putting knee behind you just have wwift on it. I just straight up whift on it. And I'm not going to say that was the end of my high school hockey career, because I did. I was on the team the next three years, but after that I was never relied upon again. Now that it was not only me, you also emerged as a very good goalie our sophomore year. I hit yeah, but that also was the point where the coach has said, we don't think he's our future. We don't think that we can put him back out there and rely on him to play well. I think it was actually after that game where the coach pulled me and the senior goalie into the locker room and said, look, both of you are terrible, but someone has to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The incumbent, who you were the backup two freshman year I didn't even make the team, was also not very good. But you and I both knew I was getting better as a year ago on. We both knew we both felt like we were better than him. He was just a senior and we were freshmen. And then literally one and a half years later, what you went through with me, I went through with the goalie that was both that was way better than both of us, and I was like, this is an interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean I also went through that with him too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And then Senior I was like, all right, well, neither Goo or I are going to play as backup. So I was like, let me, let me try to skate back out and.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you this. I admire you for just doing it. Because I offered it to the coach and he took that as an insult.
Speaker 2: I think he held it against me, and that's why I got buried on the depth chart as a four. But I was not bad. I was really good when we were younger and I didn't have the legs I used to have. But I should have been playing with better, better cast of characters than I was.
Speaker 1: This was good story time, This was good youth hockey story.
Speaker 2: This is this is two goalies. No cups here, That's that's the alternative version.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I had the biggest cup in the game. I had the biggest cup that anyone has ever used as a goalie. That was the thing that I spent the most amount of money on.
Speaker 2: I just love and it did carry over a little bit of games in practice especially you would purposefully hug the blocker side of the post to force people to shoot glove just so you could make spectacular glove saves.
Speaker 1: I used to tap my glove on the ice to make people try and go top glove hands. It was my best quality. Why would I try and go away from it? That's all we got. So man, where can the people find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on Instagram and ex at Mac and gooo podcast every other platform where you're Mac ampersand Goo max Shift seven includes Facebook, stitch Tune, and cast buck spreak of Google Play, I Heart Radio one Spotify or on Spotify, but more importantly good on Apple podcasts. Reproducers cribe five stars. If you do that, we'll get you a free Mac and Goo T shirt from the folks over at Watertown Sports or Watertome Sports dot com, Actual and Embroidery.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna toss this out there for everybody. I'm not sure if we are going to get you a free T shirt, Well, maybe we're gonna talk to our former high coach.
Speaker 2: Did not make it to coach that little alumniight out alumni.
Speaker 1: I forgot that.
Speaker 2: He He was the assistant on those teams. Go and I were talking about and we all knew in the locker room he was the better coach, but he wasn't able to make the changes he could make because he was the assistant and Go and E's gullie coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was awesome.
Speaker 2: He's the best coach, still the best and the ultimately you know, I like to think you we have one percent to do with the state championship they win. What it was the culture that we eight years later, that was the culture that we he learned from coaching us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, tepublic dot com merch you can buy shirts, join us out at the join us at the top of next week, next Goos Day, we'll do a Goose dump and then hopefully friendship soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a couple of many movies coming out. We'll getting into the swing of things here. There's gonna be a lot of movies. It's gonna be a lot of movies over the next couple of months. And goot, not only did our coach win that state championship, our high school captain was an assistant coach on that team, So huh, we molded those minds.
Speaker 1: Congratulations to Watertown, all right, Tuesdays or Goos days. I have used kangaroos Bymburt. Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's diameond girls jumping on trampolines. Tampopolines,