Speaker 1: Hey guys, Hey guys, and welcome to episode fifteen of A Strange Thing podcast. I'm Mike fifteen, I'm Austin and together we are the host. What's the most What's it's been a while, Yes, it has been a while since we've had a recording time.
Speaker 2: It's been weird, strange things going on with COVID, just a bunch of stuff, but earthquakes, armaged cats and dogs living together, master hysteria. Yeah, it's been weird. I mean, I think everybody in the world right now is experiencing some weird things. Oh yeah, but we're together tonight. We get to hang out, We get a record some stuff and talk about our new topic, which is which is what pretty rock and roll?
Speaker 1: If you ask me, strange rocks. Strange rocks. That's right, it's cooler than it sounds. I think it is cool.
Speaker 2: And we got to go out in the Investigation Night TV Investigation Destination vehicle and we went out and we explored a strange rock, well several strange.
Speaker 1: Rocks, went on a little hike kind of walk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, saw a rattlesnake. If you go online, we have a video of the rattlesnake.
Speaker 1: And Dad did a pretty epic rattlesnake kick jump. Yeah, yeah, dance.
Speaker 2: I can still jump pretty high.
Speaker 1: Yeah you can. I bet your ankle's heard after that. No, but I think adrenaline a.
Speaker 2: Little groin pole. But other than that, I was fine.
Speaker 1: That those darn keys that sound like rattlesnakes in their pocket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we saw a rattlesnake and then I was kind of hyper paranoid, on extra high alert because I got stepped on the rattlesnake and I'm walking and I had some keys that were jingling in my pocket, but they were half muted, so they sounded somewhat like a rattle, and so I it just sounded like it was coming right down below me because it was. It was in my pants pockets.
Speaker 1: So I did super kick flying jump leap.
Speaker 2: It's amazing how how you can jump when your adrenaline kicks in.
Speaker 1: It's like those lemurs that kind of jump sideways and they like kicked their leg out and like scoot. I had to get the leg.
Speaker 2: Out of there biting me. Yeah, yeah, get away your.
Speaker 1: Awkward, very move gonnage a snake.
Speaker 2: Well, regardless of what you say, in my mind, it looked really cool.
Speaker 1: Look cool.
Speaker 2: But anyway, Yeah, we went out to a local place here. It was about what fifty miles away, forty five miles away, a place called map Rock, And it was a good place to start because it is something very unique and who would have thought that it is right here close by in western Idoh, it's very very off Snake River Plains, which just happens to be one of the most prolific areas of petroglyphs in the entire west, only eclipse probably by southwest, like in Utah and Arizona in New Mexico.
Speaker 1: All right, but anyway, Yeah, so we.
Speaker 2: Started out on this journey and we have a destination in mind, but we are going to take that journey one step at a time. So the first stop on our journey is petroglyphs, and there happened to be one right here close by.
Speaker 1: We gotten the rattle can. Yes, it's more like a rattle tub.
Speaker 2: It's a box van.
Speaker 1: It's like an Ammo can that can drive around and it's loud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and right now it's pretty much empty. I have a little bit of equipment in there, but not much.
Speaker 1: So we rattled our way down there, got down.
Speaker 2: To the river. Yep, did good?
Speaker 1: Did good?
Speaker 2: You found it right away?
Speaker 1: Right, pulled up. There's some dew and his kid fishing right on the river.
Speaker 2: Which was maybe thirty yards away from.
Speaker 1: The rock, the map rock, and we climbed on it.
Speaker 2: We climbed on it. We took pictures of it, which is on our website if you'd like to check it out. So maybe we should back up a little bit and start with the base question. Okay, what are petroglyphs? They are rocks, but you can kind of break them down, right, Okay, the word.
Speaker 1: Petra, glyph, petra the band.
Speaker 2: Well, I you know from my biblical upbringing a petra petros Peter rock, Peter is rock. So I mean I'm guessing that right. Glyph. I don't know if glyph means Maybe glyph means marking or engraving or etching, glyph petra, so it would be a rock etching. I know, you know what, let's do gly graphic. Now, see that's a pictograph. That's different. That's a that would be a pictograph, would be a painting. Like using the media.
Speaker 1: I went, I tried to make a leap.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was good, but wrong. No, I mean they're connected because they were mediums that ancient Indian tribes used to use. I say ancient, not even that ancient.
Speaker 1: Native American native person, right, native person. I don't know what the correct terminology is. And I feel like we're in a climate.
Speaker 2: We gotta be careful socially.
Speaker 1: That really makes everybody's.
Speaker 2: Got a lot you know, they're kind of on edge about this. So if we're if we're making mistakes culturally, if we're not being politically correct, we're not doing it intentionally. It's our own ignorance, but please forgive us in advance, yep. But anyway, so, yeah, there's pictographs and petroglyphs. Pictographs would be paintings like maybe American Indians or Native Americans did on like maybe leather, you know, like Buffalo, okay. Or they could paint them on cave walls. And there's some really good examples of that, like in France and Lascow some of the most ancient cave paintings in the world are there. They found a new one. Gosh, where was that at It's in Australia And what's really weird about that? And we're going to get into this later on. So it's a preview. But they were like erotic paintings featuring giant creatures from outer space having sex with women. Wow. Yeah, there's a story there rocket that if you want to look up, you know, I think it's in Genesis chapter six. Maybe that that's one to talking about.
Speaker 1: But I'm never hold in the land of Australia for the alligators, I mean.
Speaker 2: Crocodiles, so that the women were beautiful.
Speaker 1: Asian buffalo roam the land.
Speaker 2: Oh man, yeah, we're really going way way off. But anyway, so let's test my theory. I got a Google here and I'm going to ask Google, Hey, what nice I'll tell this.
Speaker 3: According to Wikipedia, a petroglyph is an image created by removing part of a rock surface by sizing, picking, carving, or a braiding as a form of rock art. Outside North America, scholars often use terms such as carving or other descriptions of the technique to refer to such images.
Speaker 1: That is so creepy.
Speaker 2: How did she know? I don't know that she was listening to talking about.
Speaker 1: You said sex with giants? She was listening. They know that we know that was really it was kind of creepy. I gather petroglyph would be removing. Glyph means you remove the material, and graph means you add material.
Speaker 2: Let's ask her one more time. How did I ask that question?
Speaker 1: What question?
Speaker 2: I want to know? How did the word petroglyph originate?
Speaker 1: Did you ask her what the origination is?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 1: What are the root words that make the word petro glyph?
Speaker 3: The word comes from the Greek petro, from petro meaning stone and carve, and was originally coined in French as.
Speaker 2: Oh so yeah, I was right? So yeah, petra like little little Petra, little stone, Peter and big stone. Yeah no, I just remember that from my Bible days. From now on, you will be called Peter. Right, and upon this rock I would build my church. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. See I got a rain.
Speaker 5: Like a like a sieve because it just a lot goes in and a lot goes out and some things stick, but not very much.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the rock sink didn't get out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we got petroglyph, which they're everywhere, I mean, everybody's probably heard about him or seen him, but the one here in Idaho. And that's what we're going to basically launch this whole investigation on because it's so close and it'll take us to where we need to go for our next topic. So petroglyphs in southern Idaho are numerous. There are thousands of them. They are up and down the entire Snake River plane and they were like ancient highways for the indigenous people that were here, and they would leave messages and stuff on these rocks. And I don't know if anybody really has a really good idea of what these markings were for. There's a lot of theories. Got any ideas, any guesses and what the reasons were.
Speaker 1: Well, I know, like because I grew up around the Snake River, my whole wife canoeing and swimming and mike riding and hiking and all that stuff, Like it is real fertile all along the Snake River. Yeah, I think there's a lot of volcanic rock and stuff. And outside of that, it's like this green valley to go through the desert, a lot of sedimentary soil and that was very volcanic in nature, that was ground up into a really fine pulp.
Speaker 2: That's why there's so many farms and potatoes potatoes here night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there's that and then the animals, Like I took Beckham and I got within four or five feet of a deer that came clumping out of the river soaking wet.
Speaker 2: So I saw a couple of deer down there when we were looking at Map Rock.
Speaker 1: We did, and they were in the water on the little island bank kind of so I think they're probably marking out like food or maybe like boundary lines, like hey, you get this side of the river, we'll get this side. They were just trying to make defined lines work.
Speaker 2: You know. I've been doing a lot of reading on this, and so much so that it kind of all turns into a giant pile of goop in my brain. But the way that map Rock got its name was some guy I think his name was Robert Limbert in like nineteen twenty two, who was from the Smithsonian, and he came out and he saw this rock, which is a huge rock, as big as a car, and on the one surface that points towards the river, there was these inscriptions that looked very map like, and so he called it map Rock. Well, time goes forward, a lot of people have seen this thing, and a guy decides, Hey, I'm going to use Google Earth and write a book, and I'm going to see if I can't make this line up with you know, the actual river flows and locations that you would find on Google Earth. And so he did and a lot of them lined up. And so I've got an illustration from his book, which is called The Map Rock of Idaho Decoded. Yeah, and the author's name is Don I want to say Zulky or Zulky, Zulky or zulk There's this really cool chart in there that seems to line up. Well, here's the thing. There's been debate about the age of this rock that it could be as old as ten thousand years old. WHOA, that is frickin' old. Most Yeah, most petroglyphs here and in the Southwest are you know. They would range from anywhere from you know, three hundred all the way back to maybe fifteen hundred BC. So ten thousand years would be like really, really really old. If it's true, it would be the oldest map in the world.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: So people debate this. But it was weird because we went out there and looked at it, We stood on top of it, we took pictures because there are petri glyft engravings on the top, on the sides.
Speaker 1: Kind of all around on the front, and so we took a lot of pictures of it.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's strange to think about that ten thousand years ago there might have been some indigenous person out stretched on the rock with a little chisel and a hammer and whacking away on it and describing something right, And if it were a map, how in the heck would they be so accurate as to know the locations of all these places that you can see now on Google Earth. But it's weird. I mean, you think about it. We were standing on some place where somehow somebody had information on how to make a map, long before maps were being made like that, and inscribed it on a rock by a small town in Melba where they're known for grown potatoes.
Speaker 1: M you've got to wonder what the other like people in that culture. We're thinking of the guy over there smacking a rock, like, there's man who chisels rock.
Speaker 4: What's he doing?
Speaker 2: He's crazy doing well?
Speaker 1: Giving him a hard time?
Speaker 2: Okay, we can talk about how old that is. So another fascinating tidbit, which we'll probably talk about a later time. In fact, I know we will because we're gonna hopefully get to go there, is that the oldest petroglyphs in North America are in a small location outside of Winnemucca, Nevada, Winnemacca, Winnemaca, and those they think could be anywhere from twelve to fourteen fifteen thousand years old. If that's the case, they are the oldest petroglyphs that we know of in the Americas.
Speaker 1: That's pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: That is crazy.
Speaker 1: Didn't we I don't know, it's kind of off topic, but didn't they just find like some of the oldest remains carbon dated wise ever in like oh, like Idaho.
Speaker 2: They were like Pontana or something. I can't remember anything about it right now.
Speaker 1: I thought that was weird. It is And then we got these old petroglyphs and this old map, this.
Speaker 2: Old map rock in the middle of nowhere, but truth be told, around this area are tons of petroglyphs, right and we saw quite a few of them. We went to Map Rock and we hiked around a little bit trying to find more up in the rock fields that were up above it. Didn't see any. And then we drove down the road a little bit and saw big rocks sitting up on a hill, and we went hiking up there. That's where we saw the rattlesnake, and there was a bunch of petroglyphs up there. And then there you know, it's Celebration Point, which is outside of Melbourn, Idaho. There are tons of petroglyphs there. You go further down the snake towards Swan Falls, there's all kinds of petroglyphs. You followed the snake up, you get up around Goodie and Idaho and that there are a bunch of petroc glyphs up there. I mean literally thousands, and a lot of them have the same kind of symbols, you know how you see like a train car and it's got spray painting on it, like they've been tagged by people.
Speaker 1: With the graffiti, I think we call those criminals.
Speaker 2: But they have a look and you can tell different kinds of gangs and stuff by the style of their graffiti. And in a way, I kind of almost see these petroglyphs as like ancient not graffiti, because I think they were more purposeful. But they have earmarks that make them look the same. So you go down further south, say you go down like the Four Corners region in New Mexico and Arizona, and you look at those and those are a little stylistically different, and I don't know, the whole thing to me is just really fascinating.
Speaker 1: It's pretty sweet.
Speaker 2: One thing about matt Rock is that they believe that it's that it was created by the ancestors of the show Shone tribe that frequented the Snake River plain, along with maybe the Bannock Indian tribes that go further towards the east up around Pocatello, Idaho, and there's a lot of petroglyphs in there. When we went to Four Corners and did a little things through you know, southern Utah, Zion and Bryce Canyon and all that. At Four Corners, they had this, like it was several different Indian tribes. They had like a flea market kind of thing, right, And I went and you could buy all kinds of trinkets and.
Speaker 1: Stuff shop kind of thing.
Speaker 2: And one of the things that kind of fascinated me was a young man who was chiseling away at some rack and he was making these little petroglyphs nice and so I got talking to him, and the petroglyphs that he was making were patterned after actual petroglyphs that he had found in that area, and he had pictures of all of them, and so I've got I bought one. I don't know, it probably spent way too much money, but it's like a little humanoid kind of figure but looks like an alien, and in fact, they call it the alien petro. So we'll get into that stuff a little later. But there's a bunch of stuff around aliens, about the legends of giants and creatures with very big feet and cannibals, and there's all kinds of cool, juicy stuff. When you start looking at the legends and maybe some of the inspirations for some of the petroglyphs that we find, it's pretty crazy. But we'll get there. But tonight we're just starting off with map Rock because that's our kind. Yeah, so what did you think of our trip down to map Rock?
Speaker 1: It was pretty fun, it was. I mean, I hadn't been down there really. I've been to Melba, I've been on the Snake River, but never that specific spot. That's pretty cool. Yeah, I mean, just these big rocks and it's weird because the road goes right next to them. Yeah, the whole area is cool.
Speaker 2: It is pretty cool. And you know, one thing cool about it is for people that don't know the area, you have the Snake River Canyon and the river flows down through these areas. The walls are lined with these jagged, dark, jagging rocks and they crumbled down into the lower areas of the canyon, and then the river's running through it, and usually along the river's edge there's like some fertile area where farmers have created little, you know, farm plots, right, and they're growing wheat, potatoes and stuff. And then up above that on top of the canyon is also a lot of sedimentary soil up there, and that is the rich stuff around Melbow where they're growing potatoes and really good stuff.
Speaker 1: They like a lot of orchards and stuff around Melbow too, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do, and in wineries and stuff too. There's something about the volcanic soil that's really I don't know. It's good for plank growth and that's what made Idahope potato so famous. Is this whole area. It's all a giant floodplain from when they think Lake Bonneville broke loose and so it washed all this soil down. It left these deposits of really rich soil for vegetation, and so it kind of makes sense when you think about that. That's why the Native Americans were following these furl areas, not so much because they were you know, plant growers, but because there was a lot of game and things like that that they could harvest.
Speaker 1: This kind of grew naturally and then the animals love.
Speaker 2: It, yeah, and then they would follow back and forth, you know, through the seasons, they would go through this area and they would you know, migrate back and forth. And so that's another aspect of the rocks that they think there that maybe they were navigational points for members of tribes where they could say, Okay, this is where we're at, and then we'll stay here for a certain amount of time. Then we'll move on to our next hunting ground or our next you know, if we're one hundred gatherer, we'll go gather somewhere else when you know, the fall comes and we have to move on, which is pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: It is pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: They're like signposts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like they I mean, they came up with their own little system. It's kind of like a calendar, like each section could maybe be like, oh, through this part of the year until it gets the first frost or whatever, we'll move out to this other area. Yeah, they got their own little sections and they're kind of just migrating around and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's something that developed over time. It's not like, you know, they had two hundred years into this, like America has been around for a couple hundred years. They were there for thousands of years. This information was creimulated over thousands of years. The practice of creating petroglyphs wasn't like a one time deal. It was stuff that continued. So there's really old stuff and buy really new stuff right And in fact, in the hills outside of Gooding there are a lot of older Indian petroglyphs. But when the Basque sheep herders moved in, when they immigrated to the United States and moved west, and you know, around probably the turn of the century, late eighteen hundreds, early nineteen hundreds, they started leaving signs and stuff petro glyphs around the rocks. So they're right next to the old stuff.
Speaker 1: That's weird. Yeah, culture clash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of it almost makes me want to go out and chisel some rocks. Right, we could do a whole episode on.
Speaker 1: Rock Chisis That sounds like a terrible late night you know, like on some History channel, Welcome to Chiseling Rocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fascinating you read this stuff. It's it's very informative, but it's something most people never slow down enough to actually pay attention to really ponder.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of weird petrogly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna go really strange here in the next few episodes, so hang with us.
Speaker 1: You know what I think of when I see stuff like map rock or whatever. What is There's a little Native American family and the kids are so freaking annoying, and there's an older brother and two little ones. And the mom tells the older brother just take the kids out of here so we can just clean up our little wit wom or whatever. And so the kid the older brother is like, fine, whatever, I'll go by the river, and it takes the kids down there. The kids are bored, and so just start scratching the rock. So the kids, you know, like kids will like scribble all over. They make like ziggy zaggy lines. But then the older brother was like, well that's kind of cool actually, So he's like, I wonder if I could Like, I wonder if I could deer, if that deer I saw yesterday that I was gonna hunt, but Dad wouldn't freaking let me. It was freaking trot and he drew a little deer and the kids were like, I can do that, and then they drew deer. But it's got like a big head. And then now we're like, oh, that must be aliens, And really it was just like bored.
Speaker 2: Well, there is some weird stuff around that that they believe that a lot of these things were created for religious reasons, like maybe the shamanistic kind of things, where you have like a tribal leader.
Speaker 1: Or a medicine man, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Medicine man that goes out and does these things for specific reasons, maybe maybe to capture the spirits of the elk or deer so that they have a bountiful hunt, or you know, who knows what it is. But I find that very interesting too. And as primitive as these look, some of them are pretty darn sophisticated, maybe not here around our area, but in other parts, especially for people that are supposed to be that old, you know, eight thousand years ago, right, and so all of these things together kind of add this kind of mystique around.
Speaker 1: It, and that culture anyway has like kind of a like a more spiritual, spiritual and just mysterious because they were like they lived off the earth. They just everything they did was connected to whatever is going on in the world. So maybe it's not so much a map, but it's a story. Could be a story, or it could be like I don't even know, but it might not be so linear the way we think of it. It could be more like open. It could be more three dimensional where we apply our modern logic to X, Y and z. You know, maybe there's more to it than just oh, there must be a lot of deer here and that's what they were hunting.
Speaker 2: More to it or possibly less to it.
Speaker 1: It could have been more logical, it.
Speaker 2: Could be yeah, you know, it's really That's one thing I think is so cool about it. You can really start getting into all these thoughts and ideas about it. And what's so unique to me is that we can walk by this stuff and see it a thousand times and we never think about it. But when you start thinking about it, all these things start swirling and coming around. It's like the thought you just had. Maybe it's not linear, maybe it's it's something else. Maybe it's more philosophical, or maybe it's more spiritual or religious, or or you know, maybe it's mysticism, or maybe it's a hard science of the day. You know, I don't know. You know, the little dots that they put on some of these rocks, is that like the members of the family, Is that the numbers of generations of your family heritage? Is that how many days until winter happens?
Speaker 1: I mean, it could say how many dots you could do before your arm got tired?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Is that.
Speaker 2: A punishment because you were a rotten little kid and your dad said, go out there and make dots on rock? You know, you don't know. But for whatever reason, it wasn't like a fly by night kind of thing that just happened. Once it was common and it was global. It was global, and these tribes they saw it everywhere they went and they shared it. And not just the tribes here, you know, the Shoshone and the Bannock and those, but all across the country. They were sharing parts of their culture in the way that they were depicting things on these rocks. And whether that timeframe was ten thousand years ago or two thousand years ago or five hundred years ago, it doesn't matter. It was still a way to share the information.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: One interesting thing I saw was every continent in the world except for one, has petroglyphs.
Speaker 1: Hm, can you guess the continent Antarctica?
Speaker 2: Antarctica? That's rue.
Speaker 1: I don't imagine there's many there.
Speaker 2: I mean there's rocks there, but it's kind of like a giant island.
Speaker 1: How you get there and why?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, another thing that's really fascinating is that a lot of the petroglyphs, even if they're in different locations, different continents, they share a lot of similarities.
Speaker 1: I one similarity just off the top of my head because I went to DC and my freshman year of high school. Yeah, I remember that stayed at some hotel and we saw all these different kind of things, And it was hard because I was a freshman in high school and there's girls around you. I wasn't really paying attention to anything. But I do remember us going to one place and they said that there were stories and maybe petroglyphs or pictures of Native Americans like stabbing sturgeon and like riding them in the bay or the area, so I remember that. And then another thing that comes to mind is there's like a cave with some petroglyphs off a river, and I don't remember the exact location. I just heard this story and supposedly that's the entrance to the Hollow Earth. But you can only get there on a river, and you need to know where the cave is and follow the signs.
Speaker 2: So you have to find the right petroglyphs, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Find the right And then the other one I think of is it might have been like Meat Eater, the TV show, which is also a good podcast. It might have been like Chasing Monsters or one of those. But he's in like Brazil or some some tribal area in like South America, and it's like deep in the forest. I mean's just they're like breaking through sticks and their snakes and it's just nasty terrain there, like pulling their boats around waterfalls and just I mean it's bad. They get their boat up above the waterfall and they're about ready to launch back in the water and they're doing some fishing, maybe for some dinner, and there's a petroglyph, just a carving on a rock, right off by the river, and that's the first thing I think of, is like it's always by water. It's always like like waters were like the original highways, like you said, or or maybe there's more like spiritualness around water too. It's mysterious and.
Speaker 2: Well it's kind of what brings life. It is to as it brings life Terrius, which there's a fascinating parallel there too to the whole symbolism of the water that flowed out of the Garden of Eden. Yeah, but we're not gonna get in there yet.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it talks about that living water. Yeah, anywhere water, petroglyphs in their heavy symbolism and water. Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But I just noticed, you know, off the top of my head, the three that it come to mind. It's just well now four because of map rock and stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, you know the other thing that kind of blew me away when I was researching some of this. So the Europeans came to the Americans what fifteen something, I don't know, yeah, pre Columbus. But anyway, they came I think at fifteen hundreds, and they started going up and the Spanish people started to like take over tribes, and the tribes fought back. But it wasn't like the Americas was empty. I always in my mind thought there were a few, you know, sporadic tribes running around, you know, but there were huge numbers of Native American tribes and South American tribes, and they were all over the place, up and down the whole I mean, the content down through South America, all the way up through North America.
Speaker 1: And for a long time.
Speaker 2: For a long time obviously, I mean, these petrogls been around for up to twelve thousand years, I mean, which, okay, so I'm a skeptic on the dating on all of this stuff. Probably that's really fantastic, But even if it was twelve thousand years old, that's a mind blower, right. The Industrial Revolution started, like what sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, hundreds came out of the Dark ages, and then we have all this advance of technology in five hundred years, four hundred years. These culture have been around for thousands and thousands of years, I mean, and we only know about a little bit of it and we're trying to piece together the rest.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, and it's pretty crazy. That's what I was just thinking about, Like can you imagine having a complete record of the history of everything before.
Speaker 2: You know, writing it down.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, before it was like cataloged and well documented or at least documented to some extent, Like can you imagine just like this' one tribe, like a straight up Native American Romeo and Juliette story and it or like some big war of just aerow.
Speaker 2: Flames you don't know, or maybe we get a little glimpse of, like if you go down to South America and the Aztecs and some of the things there that were there, there are some things that kind of give you hints to some of that, or like you know, look in the Middle East, I mean out of Egypt and Assyria and all of those cultures. We do have a lot of history that's managed to survive because they could write the caneaform stuff, they could chisel it into rocks, and they could in a language and a something that could be deciphered, the Egyptian hieroglyphics, which is way different than a petroglyph because a petroglyph is isn't like a like a language like that. It might have meaning, but it's not a language that you can interpret like that. Right, We'll get into some of the meanings of some of the typical type of inscriptions that you find chiseled into rocks, but it's nothing compared to like the sophisticated cultures that you see in the Middle East.
Speaker 1: And it's just crazy. They have, like a good record of history in the Americas would be pretty insane.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, well, and then you think, okay, we've got a pretty good timeline of like Egypt and Babylon and all of those. But then here in the Americas we don't have that. We have like nothing crude dating techniques for scratches and rocks and songs. But they're contemporary, right, They're just on a different content, split up by giant oceans.
Speaker 1: Right. Crazy.
Speaker 2: It baffles me. It makes me to you know, you wonder what kind of legacy you leave behind. You know, we don't scratch in rocks anymore. We build giant cities, I guess as cultures. But even even like things like books that used to be written are all going digital, right, So analog is going away. It's all going digital. So what are they going to find if there's a collapse of civilization, what are they fine?
Speaker 1: Trash?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can't start up a I mean, okay, no offense to Apple and Macintosh and those computers, but two thousand years those aren't going to start.
Speaker 1: The only things are gonna have is no Kia phones. It's still working.
Speaker 2: Or maybe maybe they'll find a way to basically convey data out into the universe so that it will always be available. I don't know. Or maybe that's already happened and we just haven't tapped into it. Maybe we have the record of what happened in the primitive cultures. Maybe they're there, we just don't know how to access it yet.
Speaker 1: Isn't there a movie where the guy can see the past in a location?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like he looks and he gets like an image of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't remember the name of it. That'd be cool.
Speaker 1: It'd be a weird superpower.
Speaker 2: It'd be terrifying.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think that a lot. Like when I'm hunting, there's a lot of things that come into my head. Like one, if I look straight, I just focus on one spot. How many animals are there in my field division that I just don't know?
Speaker 2: They're that are hidden?
Speaker 1: Snakes, rabbits, whatever, kittens, yeah, whatever. And then my other thing is lice. My other thing is like, has somebody walked here? Like, surely there has been somebody up here.
Speaker 2: When you're up on a mountain, Yeah.
Speaker 1: But you feel so alone, like you don't see anybody. But we've been on hikes before. We're like, we're way off the path. Yeah, nobody, and we're taking a step and wait and there's a bootprint or maybe like a power bar wrapper. Yeah, and you're like, dang.
Speaker 2: You go to Antarctica and there a Coca Cola can, Polar Bear Coca Cola nice. Which there's a lot of weird stuff in Antarctica. I was reading some stuff on it, like secret military bases. But anyway, that's another that's another episode.
Speaker 1: The center or the entrance to the hollow in the.
Speaker 2: North Pole South Pole is like a giant underground bunker where they're doing we'd testing and stuff with aliens or yeah. Yeah, but anyway, we don't want to go there yet. We don't want to waste we don't want to burn all our future episodes. But yeah, so map Rock. Map Rock is kind of our map start. It's kind of our start here location. It seemed fitting, and we're going to map out some things moving forward. As we go into this a little deeper, we're going to talk a little more about some different petroglyphs, and we're going to ponder stuff, right, you know, I love pondering. Who knows? I hope that we're not being offensive to any Native American friends out there that listening. We don't know a whole heck of a lot about what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: No, but it's a cool reason reason or just kind of learn about something, and yeah, odds are you and me will probably get a lot of it wrong.
Speaker 2: I would really like to find and we have a few friends that have a very rich Native American past, I would love to sit down and learn some of the spiritual thoughts they have about what these are. One thing I don't want to do is say anything that offends anybody, because a lot of this stuff, if it does have kind of a religious or spiritual context to it, I don't want to trivialize that, right, because that's something that's very important to them. Just to kind of get this in everybody's veins, I would love people to go out and look around in their geographical area and see what kind of petroglyphs might be close by. If you'd like to take pictures of those and send them to us, we'll share them on our website. I would love to see them. I know there are tons out there, and if you have any information about them, you know, and that maybe we can't just find by googling it or getting online. Gosh would love that information.
Speaker 1: And a lot of the people I talk to they have like a oh yeah, back when Oregon, where I grew up, of stories, there's a you know, a big old rock, it's got a carve in of a canoe, or you know some crazy thing. Everybody's got a story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do. So that kind of gets me into my final thing, which is, if you, Austin, we're going to go out and create your own petroglyph, what would you inscribe on that? Knowing that in a thousand years, two thousand years, ten thousand years somebody would look at it, what would you want to put on that?
Speaker 1: I think it would be like a big a okay, with an I in the middle of it, like these kind of like radio frequency bolts.
Speaker 2: This strange thing will goo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the strange thing. That's a weird rock.
Speaker 2: That would be really cool.
Speaker 1: It's a giant but what about what.
Speaker 2: About I mean as as you as a human leaving a legacy for future generations to see or to convey something that was important to you. What would you put on the rock? I don't know. Yeah, I don't know. It's an interesting question because I wonder sometimes that might help us understand what they put on the rocks, something important to them. I would probably put a picture.
Speaker 1: In my truck, in my motorcycle, my dog, my wife, my.
Speaker 2: Kids, in that order.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my bow, my compound bow, not like a stick bow like in the petroglyphs, but like my compound bow in great detail.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, I think I would do. I'd do a family chiseling m hm, and like my family because I want people to know that I had a great family. I do my grandparents, I do my parents, I do my kids, I do my wife, I do my grandkids and my great grandkids, in fact, as many kids as maybe when I'm ninety I'm out there chiseling because I just had my great great grandkid. That would be awesome. And then like something maybe like a tree to say this is a family tree.
Speaker 1: Oh a tree, yeah, tree nice?
Speaker 2: I like the idea tree. And then maybe something that means something to me spiritually, like a cross, or like a dove or a something that vins something like that, that would be cool. Trying to think anything else, tell my cell phone number.
Speaker 1: Mike was here, Yeah, Mike was here for a good time call, or you know, like six three old nine, like all the stuff.
Speaker 2: That we carve in trees, Initials in a heart forever.
Speaker 1: Beckham and I have a log out by the lake where we shoot carps that has our initials described into it. A plus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. Part of me thinks that the reason that these were inscribed in stone is because they meant a lot. Whatever it is, it means something pretty major that they wanted a lot of people to know about for a long long time. Reminds me of the old Randy Travis song written in stone.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna take you down to the riverside where the water runs slow, and why there's a big old rock out in the middle, and not to my ham un chisel and worked all night so you could see just how much you mean to me. I carved your name riding next to mine, and it'll be there till the end of time, and my love last at least that long. It's written in stone.
Speaker 2: How feel for you?
Speaker 4: It's written in stone? What I want to.
Speaker 1: I don't know that one. There's a lot of songs that say that we're rocking it, but.
Speaker 2: I wanted to get the Randy Travis.
Speaker 1: Randy Travis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was the first CD moment I ever bought when they first came out with the compact disc technology. WHOA have a lot of five discs Sony CD changer. Yeah, it was cool cool. I didn't have a stereo system to play it on, but I bought the component nice. Well anyway, Hey, it was a fun discussion to get this thing going. Kickoff. We have a video of our kickoff on the website Superficial super Official. I mean, the quality of that thing is amazing.
Speaker 1: Video editing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually it sucks. The camera camera fell over, camera fell over. I didn't adjust the I was set on auto, so it was in a dark I lightened it up the best I could, but there's a lot of artifacts and because it was getting pretty dark and the wind was blowing like forty.
Speaker 1: Miles in the video. Oh, my legs are huge.
Speaker 2: Because they're aimed forward. I know, but we just used our regular digital camera and put it on video mode, so it wasn't that great. We gotta fix that. I'm actually looking at some drones, whoa some follow me drones. But we could set some way points and have them go over some of these things we're talking about and look at them from different angles. It would be cool to migrate slowly into a little bit of video, you know, because people get probably tired of listening to our voices going on. So yeah, there's something. But anyway, Yeah, go on line if you want to see us in all of our non glory, and also check out our website because on the opening page, if you scroll down, you'll see there's blog posts there and we're gonna be putting tons of pictures up to kind of show you where we're at, and we're gonna put information on there about the places that we go.
Speaker 1: And our motorcycle, yeah, which I.
Speaker 2: Hope we get close. We're getting close to being able to take the bikes out.
Speaker 1: In the back of our id ided.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, keep checking in on our website, share us with friends, family that maybe would enjoy our podcast.
Speaker 1: Do the Facebook, Instagram, all those followers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, follow us. We got all of those. I think we were up to like I think on Instagram, I think we're around a half. I think we're almost at thirty or something. I know we started at zero, we're up to thirty. We'd like to have like thirty thousand, thirty jillion. I'd probably post more on Instagram and Twitter if we had more people that followed us. But I feel like, oh, two people are going to get a message.
Speaker 1: What's the point. Oh there's Mic in his rock again.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like talking about his rock.
Speaker 1: But we don't forget to leave reviews though on Yeah iTunes and Stitcher and Yeah and all them guys.
Speaker 2: I do think the stuff we talk about is interesting enough that it will resonate with people if we get enough kind of traction going the weird people. Yeah, weird people.
Speaker 1: People were talking about, Oh what what did you get for Father's Day?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I got some really cool cornhole boards that have our logo on them. I don't know, some crazy kids of mine went in together and had them made special for me.
Speaker 1: You're super sweet.
Speaker 2: I just sat down and smiled for like a half hour. Giggled, yeah, giggle, I just smiled. It's awesome.
Speaker 1: Well. Shout out to Cody the Cornhole King.
Speaker 2: Cody cornhole king. Is he the guy that made the boards, made thanks in your neighborhood and turned out really sweet? And what was that Shaley or pizza hut?
Speaker 1: Hi Shaley, Yeah, hi to you and.
Speaker 2: Any one down in California. Good to see that you like some of the stuff we put up, and makes me feel good that you're still listening. So if she ares around guys with that Austin, any closing words, any words of wisdom?
Speaker 1: Not really, I got nothing. I'm not wise.
Speaker 2: I gotta do is say, you know, take this lessons we talk about map rock. You got to build your life on the rock.
Speaker 1: On the rock, right, because.
Speaker 2: All the rest is sinking sand. Oh and if you know that reference, I'm sorry. I hope I made you smile or cry one of the other. All right, awkward word, Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So join us next time for some cold drinks and some strange conversations about rocks. That's true.