Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty five, a hunter in Bearbrook State Park stumbled across a rusted fifty five gallon drum laying out in the woods, and inside there were the decomposed bodies of a woman and child. They were beaten to death and left without names. Years later, a second barrel was discovered just the same holding the remains of two more young girls. What followed was a decades long investigation, one that would expose a serial killer who lived under multiple identities, pioneer the use of genetic genealogy in criminal cases, and never stop trying to give names and identities back to the unknown victims he tried to erase. This is the story of the Barbrook murders. My name's Ben, I'm.
Speaker 2: Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcasting.
Speaker 1: The following podcast and material intended more mature audience. Listener discription. So I just want to start off today by saying one of the worst mass shootings occurred in Canadian history not far from where we live. Recently, eight victims were shot and killed at tumblr Ridge Secondary School in tumblr Ridge, BC. In addition, about twenty seven people were injured, with at least one still fighting for their life in hospital right now as I speak. The suspect of the incident was also found dead from a self inflicted injury at the school, bringing the death total to nine. And we just want to say that despite political stance, religion, ideology, race, gender and everything else, monsters are the ones who commit these acts. This world will try and divide us from one another, painting others in a certain light, whether it's this horrible incident or the next. Don't let them do that. Our hearts go out to the victims and those who were affected. Tumblr Ridge is an amazing community and we've visited many times. This horrible act it will not define this beautiful.
Speaker 2: Place, No, it really won't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a heartbreaking incident.
Speaker 2: It's been a heavy week. Yeah because just as a little side note to tumbler Ridge, it's a community of less than twenty five hundred people, Like, it's small, So for an insidant like that to happen and that many people die, it's I don't know, it's almost unmanageable what it would feel like there right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they're pretty isolated too. There's not many community around like close to them to go to the next one, Like it's it's a decent drive to go find the next town over. It's not like neighbors in the next town or you can see them from a distance. It's it's a ways. They're pretty isolated. And it's a devastating thing that happened, and it's it's it's heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like it's consumed me a little bit this week. I just I've been watching all like the news releases and reading so much about it and gosh, wishing that you could do something to help, you know.
Speaker 1: But I actually went hiking over in Monkman Provincial Park just outside of tumbler Ridge before with Ripley. Ripley and I went on an adventure with some friends. There's dinosaur footprints along a river there. You can go, like see dino footprints along this gorgeous river. There's mountains and wildlife. It's such a beautiful place. And for tragedy to mark this place like that, it's it hurts. Yeah, Rip was just a puppy when you did that. Well, not a puppy, but she was young, she was one or two something like that, young little dog. Maybe I should post something like that in our story if you want to go over to Instagram, maybe you can see a photo of us back in the day hiking that area. It is really beautiful, it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, we're not going to eventually cover this on this case. We do have a rule on the show that we don't cover anything north of Kamloops, British Columbia. It's just a little too close for home. So if you want to find more about this case, I'm sure people will be covering it and discussing it. There's a lot of articles online and I do recommend you go look into it and just remember that no matter what you read in those articles, don't let don't let articles and news sway your opinion. People are people. Yeah, there's a lot of political stuff around this case too, and it's heartbreaking as well on that side. But anyways, I think we should move on to today's case. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do it. Okay, it sounds like.
Speaker 1: A dozy, it's definitely. It's definitely one. It's different from what we've covered recently. A lot of stuff have been like murders and all these sort of things. This one, it's a lot more of a slow burn.
Speaker 2: Oh, a slow burn, A slow burn. That's like a romance novel term.
Speaker 1: You know that, right, that's just a regular term what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Nowadays, I feel like that's associated with like romance novel is.
Speaker 1: It slow burn? We're getting we're not getting steamy up in this one, I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Well, that's where my head went, and I was like, what the shit?
Speaker 1: Okay, well, no, slow burn is just a typical say like, I'm gonna okay, I'm gonna google this, right, let's see.
Speaker 2: I mean I think maybe the urban or new age term of it. It's definitely like romance novel term.
Speaker 1: Do slow burn? Okay? Well, Google's dictionaries is a state of slowly mounting anger or annoyance.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: I mean oh but then also people ask what is a slow burn in romance?
Speaker 2: Okay? So think I think it's a little bit of a new age term in like romance novels.
Speaker 1: Right. So maybe now I didn't realize slow burn was specifically to like anger annoyance. I thought it was just like a slow burn of like a story it's taken a while, it's you know, slowly playing out.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Now this I mean it does still apply to this case. But it's just not exactly what I thought it meant.
Speaker 2: And it ain't a romance story.
Speaker 1: It has nothing to do with spiciness. Just because it says burn does not mean it's spicy. Okay, holy, and if it burns, you should probably get checked out. I just can't say that anyways. There are certain places that feel untouched in this world. Not untouched in a dramatic way, but I mean, but just like quiet, there's ordinary and it's kind of place, you know, where people go to walk their dogs, and this place certainly was. It's a place where people hunt deer in the fall, they go on adventures, let their kids run ahead of trails without worrying too much about what might be waiting around the corner. Bear Brook State Park was just this kind of place. If you've ever been in the woods in late autumn in a place like New England, you know the feeling the air is damp but crisp, leave stick to your boots, walking in trees, thin out in patches where you can see more, and then they close back in again, and it's just so peaceful. Small towns orbit places like this. Trailer parks tuck off just main roads and mills that once employed half the towns sit there. In towns like Allenstown, New Hampshire, life doesn't move quickly. People come and go, sure, but it's not in ways that usually raise alarms. If someone packs up and leaves, most assume there's a reason. You know, there's maybe a new job or money troubles and a fresh start is waiting for them somewhere warmer. In the late nineteen seventies and early nineteen eighties, that's how things were. No one was looking for a mystery. No one suspected that something had already been hiding out in the woods. Because the unsettling truth about some crimes isn't how they're discovered. It's more or less how long they go unnoticed. Sometimes answers sit quietly in the background of everyday life, beneath the leaves and beyond mark trails, just close enough to stumble over if you happen to wander a little too far, of course, and in this story, that's exactly what happened. On November tenth, nineteen eighty five, a hunter walking through Bearbrook State Park in Allenstown, New Hampshire. They noticed something that didn't exactly belong in the quiet stretch of woods. There, lying on its side amongst the trees was a rusted fifty five gallon steel drum. It was long since abandoned and looked like it had been sitting there for years. Curious, the hunter moved towards it and he took a look inside. That's when he immediately realized this wasn't a drum just filled with trash or anything. Inside there he saw, wrapped in plastic were human remains two bodies, one adult woman and one young girl. Police were quickly called to the scene, and the bodies inside were badly decomposed to the point where determining an exact time of death was extremely difficult. Investigators estimated the victims had been dead at least several months and possibly as long as two to even three years before they were ultimately discovered. Autopsies on them later determined that both the woman and the child had died from blunt force trauma to the head, and this immediately solidified the idea on the spot that this was not an accident. It was instead clearly a homicide.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. First of all, good for him for even looking in there, because I don't think I would. I I'm uncertain that I would because I would. I mean, you probably should, because you want to make sure it's all good. But that's scary.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I've been out in the bush a few times. I've looked in some random weird finds, have you. But it's not out of like, oh I wonder what I'll find. It's just like, oh, this is a cool thing. I'm just looking and curiosity is taken over and I'm just investigating a cool thing, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I guess. I mean I did tell you that one time too. There was the random car seat that was in the woods. Oh yeah, and I did look in it. I felt I needed to look in there, so maybe I would. But a car seat's a bit different than like a rusted barrel.
Speaker 1: A car seat, I think that would trigger more in my mind. There might be something in there a barrel. I'm like, I don't know what's in here? Is there an animal hiding in there? Is there trash? Is it rusted out? Could I use this for something taken home? I don't know.
Speaker 2: There treasures in here?
Speaker 1: Maybe, but instead, no, there's bodies aw now. The adult victim was believed to be between twenty three and thirty three years old. She was Caucasian, possibly with Native American ancestry. She had wavy, light brown or dark blonde hair and stood somewhere between five foot two inches and five foot seven inches tall. Her dental work was pretty extensive, including multiple extractions and fillings. Now, the child found with her was estimated to be between eight and ten years old. The later evaluation suggested that she could have been as young as five or as old as eleven. She also had wavy, light brown or dark blonde hair and stood approximately four foot three inches and between four foot six inches tall. She had a small gap between her front teeth, two earrings in each ear, and several dental fillings, but no extractions. There were also signs that she may have suffered from pneumonia at some point in her life. Now, there was no identification, no clothing could be traced, no personal items that could lead back to a name. It was just two bodies sealed inside a barrel and left in the woods. Now Bearbrook State Park sits in a relatively quiet area, not far from a trailer park and an old mill property. It wasn't right off a major highway or anything like that, so whoever left the barrel there, likely knew the area well, and it wasn't just a random dumping ground that someone accidentally stumbled upon.
Speaker 2: Well, and that would be very difficult to move a barrel full of two bodies into the woods, would it not.
Speaker 1: It could definitely be, I mean, depending on their weight and the size of the individual carrying them. Maybe how he carried them, or they carried them, or maybe rolling the barrel.
Speaker 2: Who knows, Rolling it, I guess could be an option, but yeah, just to carry it, you think you'd need more than one person.
Speaker 1: Now, the barrel itself was a standard industrial drum, nothing unique enough to trace it easily either. All the investigators had to go on at this point was that the bodies had clearly been concealed intentionally in this place. Now, obviously, they didn't know who these people were, and so without identities, it was almost impossible to build any sort of timeline. They didn't know where the victims had come from, when they had last been seen alive, or who might have even wanted them dead. So although the investigation had officially begun on this story, it began with almost nothing to go on. Now, the New Hampshire State Police began running missons. Persons report through every available system they had to try and identify any potential names. They checked local records first, then expanded outwards towards statewide databases and national systems, and even federal records in Washington, d C. If a woman and young girl had vanished anywhere in the country during the late nineteen seventies or early nineteen eighties, the investigators wanted to know about it. However, nothing came back as a match. Police also canvassed nearby areas, including the trailer park not far from where the barrel had been found, to see if they could find any information. They went through the woods walking. They knocked on doors and asked if anyone had seen a barrel dumped in the woods, or if anyone noticed strangers in the area years earlier. Maybe there were some families that even disappeared quietly without much attention, even being paid, But no one could provide anything useful. The barrel could have been sitting there for years for all anyone knew. Sketch artists began working from the remains to create facial reconstructions. Those photos they came up with were circulated across New England and even parts of Canada as well. Authorities released detailed descriptions of the victims physical features and dental work, hoping that maybe a dentist or a relative, a friend, anyone might recognize a feature or even them themselves. Tips soon began coming in as well, hundreds of them over time. In fact, each one was followed up, but unfortunately each one also led nowhere. The lack of identification of the remains it became its own kind of cruelty. It meant that these people like basically vanished without anyone ever reporting the missing, if they're not in any database or anything like that, and if they had been reported, no connection had been made. So it was pretty kind of sad in its own world. Super odd, especially for a child for sure. You know, you think that would be reported unless it was just like this mom and a child and they were kind of on their own, I guess. But well, and there's also the potential that they might not have even been from the area, and that's what investigators started to think, like the possibility that they'd been killed elsewhere, brought here and you know, discarded in the bare Brook State Park afterwards as a part of trying to hide or distance from the.
Speaker 2: Crime, right, it would make sense.
Speaker 1: Now. Months passed by as the investigation continued to march on, and then those months turned into years. Eventually, with no names or identity, authorities made a very difficult decision. The women and child were buried in Allenstown Cemetery as Jane does. On their shared headstone were the words that reflected the frustration and sadness of the case, and it read, quote here lies the mortal remains known only to God of a woman aged twenty three to thirty three and a girl child aged eight to ten. Their slain bodies were found on November tenth, nineteen eighty five, in bear Brook State Park. May their souls find peace in God's loving care end quote.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that gave me goosebumps. That's really sad. Imagine stumbling across that in a graveyard.
Speaker 1: That's really sad.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now, as time kept ticking away into the nineteen eighties, the Barebrook case had become one of those mysteries that lingered in the background. It wasn't closed, it wasn't forgotten, but it wasn't moving forward either. Investigators continued to chase Leeds as they came in. Every tip was checked. Every possible man match of any missing persons was examined, Dental records were compared, physical descriptions were cross reference, but nothing ever stuck. There were no fingerprints to run, no identification in the barrel, and the witnesses nothing. They just had a barrel and two victims. That was about it now. Based on the level of decomposition, the medical examiner had estimated the murders may have happened sometime between nineteen seventy seven and nineteen eighty five, a window of time that was so wide it was pretty much useless. Eventually, investigators tried thinking outside of the box for this case, and no matter how they thought of it, though, the one troubling possibility kept resurfacing. Maybe the victims weren't from New Hampshire at all, and if that were the case, it would make solving this that much harder. As the years passed, the case slowly lost its momentum. Detectives retired, files were put in boxes and stored away in the woods of bar brooks Well. It remained quiet. The memorial stone and ouns Town became the only visible reminder that two people had been murdered and left in the forest. Locals remembered the shock of the discovery and the fear that followed, and the uneasy feeling too that someone responsible had never been found. For fifteen years, that's where the case sat, but by the year two thousand the files were still there, but no one had identified the woman and child. Now that same year, the case was reassigned to a new Hampshire State Police trooper, and rather than simply reviewing the paperwork, he decided to return to Bearbrook State Park and walk the grounds again himself. His goal was to better understand the original scene, you know, distances or terrain and how the search had been conducted in nineteen eighty five. Sometimes physically revisiting a location can reveal something that reports and photographs can't. Right, maybe he could understand how he got the barrel in there. Maybe there's a spot he could roll it down a hill, something like that. Right, So it was on May ninth, in the year two thousand, while examining the area near the original discovery site, he expanded his search slightly beyond the perimeter that had been established fifteen years earlier, and as he was walking outside that original perimeter, roughly one hard one hundred yards away from where the first barrel had been found, he came across another object, partially concealed in the woods, another rusted fifty five gallon metal drum. No way, the similarities to the first discovery was very immediate and unsettling, and when investigators opened the second barrel, their worst fears were confirmed because inside that old metal drum they found the skeletal remains of two more young girls. Just like the first victims, the remains were wrapped in plastic, and the conditions of the body suggested that they had been there for many years, likely placed in the park around the same time as the woman and child found in nineteen eighty five. The proximity of the barrels, the identical method of disposal, and the condition of the remains all pointed to this being a single event. What investigators have believed to be a double homicide. Well now it was, in fact a quadruple homicide.
Speaker 2: I was not expecting that to be the person who found them. Someone investigating this like fifteen years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And so, like the big detail about this, and like the frustrating detail is that it simply fell outside the original search boundary. In the original like nineteen eighty five search of the grounds. So for fifteen years you have two additional victims that basically just remained undiscovered, sitting alone in that same stretch of woods.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not saying any fault to the original investigators, but because yeah, you do have to have that stopping point right at some point. But it's just crazy. This person's like, I'm going to just explore a little bit further and boom.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, this discovery forced investigators to reassess everything they thought they understood about the case, even if it wasn't a lot. Now, upon examination, the two girls found in May of two thousand were significantly younger than the first child discovered in nineteen eighty five. One of them was estimated to be between one and three years old, while the other was believed to be between two and four. Both of them had been wrapped in plastic, just like the woman and the older child in the first barrel. Now, determining an exact cause of death was unfortunately difficult for these two. However, over time, further examination and forensic review led investigators to conclude that these two children also likely died from blunt force trauma to the head. Which was the same cause determined for the other two found fifteen years earlier. Investigators believed all four victims were killed with a similar timeframe, most likely between nineteen seventy eight and nineteen eighty one, and the realization that this barrel had been sitting in the woods this whole time was deeply frustrating. To say the least, officers had which the surrounding areas, but because of that search zone, it just went undiscovered. Now, Speculation ranged widely at this point on what had happened to these four. Some wondered whether the killings could be connected to organized crime, and others questioned whether this was the work of a local. You know, offenders are simply familiar with the area. There was also the possibility that the victims had been brought from somewhere else entirely and dumped here to hide and distance themselves from the original crime. But despite the expansion of the case, though, investigators were still facing the same central problem. They didn't know who the victims were without names, you know, there's no clear starting point. The case had grown larger and more disturbing, sure, but it remains just as confusing up until now. Investigative methods had failed to identify the women and three children, so the remaining path forward was through the evidence preserved in their remains. In the years following the second barrel discovery, advances in DNA testing began to offer some new possibilities. Early on, authorities conducted mitochondrial DNA testing, which examines maternal lineage. Now, the result of this testing revealed a very critical detail. The adult woman was maternally related to two of the three girls, so that meant she was either their mother, their maternal aunt, or possibly an older sister. At that stage, the exact relationship it couldn't be confirmed, but it was clear that they shared that maternal line. Now, the third child, however, the middle aged girl in terms of age among the three, did not share that maternal DNA. She was not related to the woman or to the other two girls whatsoever. Now this upset the theory that investigators were already considering for years, which was that the victims might have been a mother and children. But since science had officially ruled that out, at least for one of the girls, they needed to consider some other options. Now. Later, more DNA analysis would eventually confirm that the adult woman was in fact the biological mother of the oldest and the youngest, but that unrelated middle child remained genetically separate from the others, though it is important to clarify. Investigators found that despite this, all four of them had been living together prior to their deaths. Now that conclusion was based not only on the DNA but also on environmental testing. Isotope analysis was conducted on hair and bone samples, and isotopes are chemical signatures that can reflect the geography where a person lived, particularly through drinking water and diet. The results suggested that the woman and all three children had lived in the northeastern United States for a period ranging from roughly two weeks to three months before their deaths, meaning they were likely living in or near New Hampshire shortly before they were killed, and likely altogether.
Speaker 2: That's fricking interesting.
Speaker 1: That's a bit of a twist, for sure.
Speaker 2: I was like, how on earth are they going to be able to figure that out? But yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Now. This discovery also challenged the earlier assumptions that the victims had been brought from far away, at least in the final months of their lives. Anyway, they seemed to appear to be local to the region. However, the isotope testing also revealed that the unrelated middle child had spent much of her early life somewhere else. Initial results suggested she may have grown up in the upper northeastern United States area, or possibly the Upper Midwest. Later testing eventually expanded the possibility or suggested warmer regions such as maybe Arizona, Texas, California, or Oregon, could also match her isotope profile too. The results may not have provided a precise location, but they made one thing clear her background at least differed from the others. Now, despite the scientific progress, investigators were still missing the most basic piece of information. They were after their names. They now knew the family structure among the victims. They knew the likely time frame of the murders. They even had clues about where at least one child may have grown up. Forensic science had drawn a rough outline of who these victims were in relation to one another, but without names and missing persons reports that match, there was still no clear way forward. Then, thousands of miles away, a different thread began to surface, one that at the time seemed unrelated to bear Brook at all. In nineteen eighty six, one year after the first barrel was discovered in New Hampshire, a man living under the name Gordon Jensen was staying at an RV park in Cyprus, California. He worked as a technician and electrician and kept mostly to himself. With him was a small girl he introduced as his daughter named Lisa. Neighbors in the park noticed that Lisa appeared unwell and withdrawn at times. She seemed neglected entirely, and Gordon jens And told people that her mother had died of cancer and that he was raising her all alone. Over time, though, a neighboring family called the Deckers. They started to grow concerned about the child's condition and began helping take care of her. Then, without warning, Gordon Jensen just left. He abandoned the five year old girl at the RV park, and he just simply disappeared. The Deckers eventually took the girl in and she was later adopted. Authorities investigated, and fingerprints recovered from Gordon's RV which he left behind, tied him to another name, Curtis Kimball, a man who had previously been arrested in California for drunk driving. Now during that dui arrest in nineteen eighty five. A young girl had been in the car with him, who was the same child he would later abandon, Lisa. In nineteen eighty eight, using that name Curtis Kimball, he was arrested again. This time the charges included child abandonment and driving a stolen vehicle. He ultimately pled guilty to the child, a Badminton vehicle charge, and also some molestation charges had been raised but were ultimately dropped, and he served less than two years in prison and was released on parole in October of nineteen ninety, now shortly after his release, though he vanished once again. At the time, none of this was connected to the Bearbrook murders. Lisa the Child in California had no known link to New Hampshire, and the names Gordon Jensen and Curtis Kimball meant absolutely nothing to investigators back east. The abandoned girl was placed into a new life, and the man who left her behind simply adopted another identity and moved on. For more than a decade these two cases, the four identified victims in New Hampshire and Lisa the abandoned child in California, remained completely separate stories. Years passed by, and the abandoned girl from California grew up under a different name, raised by adoptive parents who had no clear answer about where she came from. She only knew fragments of what she'd been told as a child, that her mother died of cancer a man who claimed to be her father simply left. But as she got older, those stories began to feel uncertain, and soon as an adult, she decided to look for answers. So in the early two thousands, people had already begun trying to determine whether the man known as Curtis Kimball or Gordon Jensen was biologically related to her. In two thousand and three, a DNA test confirmed he was not her father, and that revelation it raised a lot of questions, a lot more than it really answered for investigators. Honestly, if he was her biological parent, then who was she and how had she ended up in his custody. The real breakthrough came years later, as consumer DNA testing and genetic genealogy began to change the world. Cold cases were beginning to look at this as a potential tool. By twenty thirteen, genealogy experts were working extensively on what became known as the lease A Project. It was named this because Lisa was this abandoned girl's name that she was given, or at least what she was told was hers. So volunteers and forensic genealogists spent thousands of hours building out this family tree. There were cross referencing distant relatives and narrowing down possibilities to try and find her biological family, And in twenty sixteen, all that hard work and effort finally paid off. The girl once known as Lisa learned that her real name was Don Boden and her biological mother's name was Denise Boden. She was a woman from Manchester, New Hampshire. However, Denise had disappeared in nineteen eighty one. It seemed like all of a sudden, this child abandoned in California was now linked directly back to New Hampshire, the very same state where four unidentified victims had been found in Beryl's years earlier. Investigators knew that her mother, Denise Boden, had left Manchester around Thanksgiving in nineteen eighty one with her young daughter and and her boyfriend, a man at the time known as Bob Evans. But after that, Denise was never seen again, and she was never formally reported missing because her family believed she and her boyfriend had simply left the area due to financial troubles.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it wasn't alarming at all, exactly.
Speaker 1: So, Now authority showed Denise's family booking photos of Curtis Kimball and of Gordon Jensen, and the family recognized him immediately. That man they confirmed was in fact who they knew as Bob Evans the boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Yes, holy moly, Okay, this is almost there's a lot, Hey, there is. I feel I've been a little bit quiet because I'm just like wrapping my head around all this. It's kind of like a wild story, and you really have to pay attention.
Speaker 1: Well, I generally specifically only talk about one man. There's gonna be a lot of names to this one man, Okay, so keep that in mind. He goes through a lot of different identities. It's the same guy. Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, when you go through a lot of different identities, you might not be a super good person. Sometimes, say, if you're going to have to change your name numerous times in your life, you're.
Speaker 1: Clearly trying to hide from something. Yes, Now, for the first time, New Hampshire investigators had a tangible person to examine, someone who had lived in the Allenstown area around the time of the Bearbrooks victims being found or when they believed had been killed. The case that was dormant for decades, it started to shift. Now Denise Boden was not in fact one of the women found in the barrels though. Oh her DNA was tested, but it did not match the adult victim, so she herself was in fact still missing. But if that was the case, then that meant where was she? As investigators began rebuilding the timeline, every everything led back to the fall of nineteen eighty one. At the time, Denise was twenty three years old, living in Manchester in New Hampshire, and she had a six month old daughter named Don who grew up thinking she was Lisa. Right around that time, she was in a relationship with the men who called himself Bob Evans. He was older, worked as an electrician and a handyman, and seemed capable of providing some stability in Denise's life. On Thanksgiving weekend in nineteen eighty one, Denise and Don while they visited her family in Gofston. It was that last time that she was ever confirmed to be seen by her family. Not long after that, Denise and her daughter and Bob were just all simply gone. When Denise's father later stopped by her Manchester apartment to invite her over for Christmas, the place was empty. A neighbor told him that they'd packed up and moved out. There was no sign of a struggle, no obvious indication of violence. In Denise's family assumed, like I mentioned earlier, she just kind of left for financial difficulties or whatever without saying goodbye.
Speaker 2: Still heartbreaking, though, hey.
Speaker 1: It is, but it's not like she didn't exactly maintain constant contact before. Oh okay, And at the time, there's no immediate reason to suspect something darker, so they thought, yeah, she basically just left without saying goodbye. And the result was no missing person's report was filed.
Speaker 2: But here the dad's coming over, Let to come and have Christmas with us and find out they're just gone. Didn't say goodbye? Like that's okay.
Speaker 1: At least the father was inviting him over for Christmas, right, Yeah, Yeah, Now the result of not ever filing a missing person's report. That decision it would ultimately have consequences years later, because when baar Brooke investigation first unfolded in the nineteen eighties, detectives they searched extensively through missing persons databases in New Hampshire and the surrounding states, and Denise's name well, it was not in the system. Neither was her daughter's, and that was a big, big mistake. Well not a mistake. They had no idea what they were doing, but that was a big piece of this puzzle. So by the time investigators identified Dawn in twenty sixteen through DNA, Denise had effectively vanished from records for more than three decades. At that point, only once Don's true identity was confirmed, authorities were able to formally open a missing person's case for Denise Boden, and they were actually starting to able to target this individual responsible for it. So they searched Denise's former Manchester residence years later, hoping to uncover any sort of forensic evidence that might clarify what happened in nineteen eighty one, but nothing significantly was ever publicly disclosed. And Denise's body, well, it has never been found either. She to this day is still missing.
Speaker 2: Okay, I okay, as soon as you started going there, I'm like, oh my gosh, slam dunk, that's who's in the barrel. But no in case, okay, So we're back to kind of square one with those the people.
Speaker 1: In the barrel exactly now. At this stage of the investigation, one thing was clear. The man known as Bob Evans had been in New Hampshire at that exact same time the bear Brooks victims were likely killed. He had left the state with Denise and her infant daughter, who survived, but Denise had simply disappeared, and he had taken custody of her daughter and then abandoned her. So we have a likely suspect. By twenty sixteen, invest stigators made a lot of progress, but the problem the problem that they had that they were looking for a men who seemed to have lived multiple lives in New Hampshire. He was Bob Evans, an electrician who worked at Wombeck Mill in Manchester, and he had no connections to the property near Bearbrook State Park in California. He had gone by Curtis Kimball, a name tied to his DUI arrest and the child abandonment charges, and at other times he used Gordon Jensen. He also used Jerry Mockerman and later even Larry Vayner.
Speaker 2: How could you even keep up with that yourself?
Speaker 1: Right? It's like, wait, what's my name again?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What do I go buy in this state?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Now? Fingerprints were the only thread that tided all these identities together. Every time he was arrested under a new name, his prints were quietly connected back to the previous alias. On paper, these seemed to be different men, but in reality they were in fact the same person, someone who is reinventing himself over and over to try and stay hidden. He drifted from state to state, off and living in trailer parks, motels, or temporary housing. He worked jobs that required mechanical or electrical skills, and he drank heavily. He frequently presented himself as a single father to try and gain sympathy and trust, and he formed relationships with women who had children, then isolated them. Then when problems arose, he disappeared and resurfaced under a new name. For investigators, his movements were very difficult to track. Before the digital era, there were no centralized databases linking employment records or vehicle registration or marriages across states in real time. So as long as he stayed ahead of the law enforcement and used a different alias, he could essentially just start over with a fresh slate. Now. In two thousand and two, he married a South Korean immigrant named Yunsun Jun. Two outsiders, it appeared to be a very fresh start, another life built on another new identity. But within months of their marriage, Us in June suddenly disappeared. Friends of her quickly became concerned after not hearing from her, and eventually a missing person's report was filed. When police came knocking on his door, they questioned Larry Vayner, the name he was going by the time. They questioned him about her disappearance, and he claimed that he didn't know where she was. In fact, he even suggested to investigators that she may have left or even harmed herself. Now, that last suggestion was ominous and worried investigators, but still they continued asking him questions and remained calm during the interview. They avoided, you know, giving any direct He avoided, sorry, giving any direct answers when possible. Now to clarify at this moment, it's not really like a they have him in custody or anything. They're just at his front door questioning him right where she was.
Speaker 2: But it's very odd that you would say something like that. They may have harmed themselves, but yet you didn't report the missing exactly. Now.
Speaker 1: What he didn't know was that the authorities were already looking very closely at him, and they found the identities attached to his fingerprints. So when confronted about this, he stuck to his strategy and avoided answering and denied knowing any of the names tied to him. But investigators weren't buying his excuses, and they quickly obtained a search warrant to search his home because something wasn't right inside the home. They searched for any clue of where Yunson June could be and any clues that might explain Larry's identity. It was during the search that they found something hidden Beneath a mound of cat litter stored in a basement area under the garage, they discovered Unson June's partially dismembered remains.
Speaker 2: Are you serious?
Speaker 1: She was dead and had been killed by blunt force trauma, the same cause of death later associated with bear Brooks victims.
Speaker 2: And he just put cat litter on her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cat litter. It appeared to be likely an attempt to slow decomp and conceal odor. Basically, holy, okay, lot of cat litter. That's what it does. It like it covers odor and stuff, right, soaks up you know, liquids.
Speaker 2: I know, I get that, but it's also like, holy shit, I know that's what cat litter does, but I don't think I would ever been like, I'm going to use this for this, Like that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, Devil's advocate here, things like that are used often in shops. He's an electrician, handyman, that sort of thing. So he's like, you know, an oil spill. They don't use cat litter, but they call it, like in the shop, they'll call it cat litter because it looks the same, but it's something you throw down to absorb these liquids and stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, that's true because I used to work in a shop, right, and I yeah, I do remember them putting stuff like that down.
Speaker 1: You know, they call it cat litter or whatever, like it's a nickname, but it's actually meant for automotive spills and chemical spills.
Speaker 2: Right Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, obviously Larry was arrested and immediately taken into custody after this. Fingerprints confirmed what detectives already suspected that Larry Vayner was the same part previously arrested as Curtis Kimball and connected him to pass charges including a DUI child abandonment and parole violations too. Now, facing the evidence in front of him, Larry made a decision. He decided to plead guilty to Yinsun June's murder in two thousand and three. He avoided a trial and was ultimately sentenced to only fifteen years to life in prison.
Speaker 2: Gosh.
Speaker 1: Now, importantly, he likely chose to plead guilty rather than proceed to trial, possibly for the reason to try and prevent deeper scrutiny into his past. A public trial would have opened the door to examination of his history, relationships, earlier movements across multiple states, a full on investigation. But if he pled guilty, well it just kind of stopped that in its tracks and has shut the case off from investigators.
Speaker 2: But also too, there's no way of boat go and hide in this one either.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, well that single one, yeah, right, yeah, But if he's got multiple, if he's got more, it prevents that from coming to light because it shuts the case and they're not going to look into him further.
Speaker 2: Right, And then there's the chance of him potentially getting out one day exactly.
Speaker 1: So, then on December twenty eighth, twenty ten, he ultimately died behind bars. By the time he passed away, he had spent a measly eight years in prison for the murder of yunsn June. At that moment, officially, he was simply a convicted murderer with a history of aliases pro violations one murder, and there was no public understanding of his connection to the New Hampshire stuff yet, and no confirmed link to the four victims in the bear Brook State Park whatsoever. And he died without ever revealing his real name. He was still under an alias even behind bars. For New Hampshire investigators, the fact that they still didn't know this guy's real name created a unique challenge years later. Normally, in homicide investigations to active start by identifying victims and working towards identifying the suspect. But in the bare bookcase, it would eventually unfold in reverse. By the mid twenty tens, authorities would know more about the killer than they would about the victims.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm actually kind of angry about this because this bastard probably thought that he just died winning, you know, he got away with all this shit and like I did it kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't like that at all, I know. I mean, at least he was convicted for something. Yeah, died behind bars.
Speaker 2: She did, which is good, but I'm not saying like that. He you know, was charged.
Speaker 1: Charging, yes, but it got off so easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also just got away with like you know, in his mind, like me going and moving and changing my name and stuff like it worked.
Speaker 1: Yeap, it did it, honestly did. Yeah, he got away with it for a long time. The one thing that happened he finally got caught for and that he served time for that. And I mean there more happens, of course, but in his lifetime he died thinking he got away with it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot. It's kind of a yucky feeling. I don't like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, it was by twenty sixteen that investigators had reached the point where traditional methods of investigating had taken them as far as they could go. They had fingerprints tying him to multiple aliases. They had a confirmed homicide conviction in California. They had DNA linking the man known as Bob Evans to the middle child now found in the bear Brooks barrels because of his DNA. What they did not have, though, was his true identity. Yeah, dropping a bomb on you? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was like, did I miss something? Or is that literally it being dropped? Okay? So that okay? So Lisa, who's actually down right yes, is related to that pert? No, she wouldn't be.
Speaker 1: No, she's not. Holy shit, trust me, I'll explain.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So all this change when authorities turned to investigative genetic genealogy, trying to tie all these things together that you're trying to tie. Yeah, So, working with genealogists doctor Barbara ray Vetner, investigators used the killer's DNA profile and uploaded it into public genealogy databases. The allowed law enforcement access to all of this. From there, ray Vetner began building family trees based on distant DNA matches, sometimes fourth, fifth and even more distant cousins. It was very painstaking work, and each match required research into family lineages, marriages, relocations, and descendants, narrowing possibilities generation by generation. After thousands of hours of analysis, a pattern emerged. The DNA they had pointed back to a man born in Colorado in nineteen forty three and his name was Terry Peder Rasmussen. That was his real name, oh Terry, and for the first time, this man had a confirmed birth identity. Terry Rasmusen had an listed in the US Navy at seventeen. He served as an electrician, and after leaving the military, he married and had four children. His marriage eventually ended, but by the mid nineteen seventies he began drifting, arrested for assaults and other offenses that followed, and at some point he had a divorce that was finalized in nineteen seventy eight. But Terry left his previous life behind and that's when he began using these aliases. Investigators now understood that by the late nineteen seventies he had moved east and settled into New Hampshire under the name of Bob Evans. From there, the pattern scene in later years began to make a lot of sense. He was targeting women, often single mothers, moving frequently, and he reinvented himself whatever pressure mounted. But now the DNA testing also confirmed something critical to this story. Terry Rasmusen was found to be the biological father of the middle child found in the second barrel. She was his daughter. Gosh, what the problem with this is? They do not know her name or who her.
Speaker 2: Mother is, right, and she isn't She was the one that's not related to the other three exactly.
Speaker 1: So the other three victims not biologically related to him, is the case, and it's just him and that one. So they have the relation figured out. But the problem is still no names. So this whole revelation shifted the structure of this case. Authorities now knew the killer's real name and could reconstruct much of his adult life even if he was dead. Military records, prior addresses, former employers, family members who'd not seen him in decades, all this sort of stuff were useful, but the central question remained. Who were the other three victims, What were the names? What was the name of his daughter? All these things, but the central question of it all remained, how did this all fit together? By twenty seventeen, the bar Brook case had drawn national attention. The announcement that Terry Petter Resmussen had been identified through genetic genealogy made headline all over, not just because it solved the mystery of the killer's identity, but because it demonstrated a new investigative tool that would soon be used in major cases across the country. Among the people that followed the developments closely was a librarian from Connecticut. She had listened to coverages of the case, and, like many others, became deeply interested in the unanswered questions, especially the identities of the three victims still unnamed. Now, Unlike investigators who were bound by jurisdiction and official records, she on the other hand, had time and access to online archives, missing persons forums, genealogy sites, and family history posts, and soon she began combing through websites where families had posted about missing loved ones and people who were never entered into national databases. She was effectively an online web sleuth. She paid close attention to timelines, ages and mentioned of New Hampshire or any name that related to Terry Rasmussen. Eventually she came across to post about a young California woman named Marle's Honeychurch. Now, according to the Post, Marle's had left her family in nineteen seventy eight after an argument. She'd been accompanied by her two daughters and a boyfriend, and after that they were never seen again. Oh in the boyfriend's name, by the way, they didn't have it all, but they remembered his last name was Rasmussen.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: Now this detail stood out obviously, but because ras Muse is not exactly a common last name, and the librarian began to reach out to the family connected to the Post, sharing what she had learned about Rasmussen's history and the Bearbrook case. The family told her that they had no idea what happened to Marleice and her daughters. They assumed she chosen to leave, and that there'd been no confirmed death in no official missings person's report, Deck declared at the time, and it had simply become one of those painful family stories that lingered with uncertainty. They hoped that one day they could reconnect, but that was about it. It seemed like now though the first time, there was a possibility that Marlice and her children had not simply disappeared, that they may have been murdered. The tip was quickly passed to law enforcement and investigators, and they began comparing the timelines. Marlee's Honeychurch and her daughters vanished in nineteen seventy eight. Terry resurfaced in New Hampshire not long after that. The age of the children they matched closely with the estimated age of the two girls found in the barrels. The adult victim's age reign also closely aligned with Marlee. To be sure of this, though, DNA testing will be required, and it was in twenty nineteen, more than three decades after the first barrel was discovered in Bearbrook State Park, that investigators announced that the three of the four victims had finally been identified by name. The adult woman found in the first barrel was in fact a positive DNA match for Marlee's.
Speaker 2: Honey Church Holy Shit, and the.
Speaker 1: Young girls discovered alongside her were her daughters. The one in the barrel with her was Mary Vaughan, and the second contained the remains of Marlice's other daughter, Sarah mick Waters.
Speaker 2: Huh that is just wild, hey, that because you always think after that long of a span, like three decades, like how that shit is something like this going to be solved.
Speaker 1: Genetic There we go. Genetic genealogy has done wonder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the world of crime and stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, all three of these individuals had disappeared in California in nineteen seventy eight, when Marlee had been in a relationship with none other than Terry pettor Russ Musen. After an argument with her family, she left California with him, bringing her two daughters along. When her family never heard from her again, years turned into decades without any sort of answers.
Speaker 2: And really it was because she was not alive exactly.
Speaker 1: Terry moved meanwhile east and eventually appeared in New Hampshire under the alias Bob Evans. At some point after arriving in the state, Marleice and her daughters were then killed, the bodies replaced into two separate fifty five gallon steel drums, wrapped in placid stick on the inside, and left in the wood in the woods in bear Brook State Park. But how it exactly played out and why, Well, since Terry had already passed away in jail before ever being connected to the story, it's something we will never.
Speaker 2: Know well, and who knows if he would even have shared any of this. I'm kind of doubting you would have exactly now.
Speaker 1: The identifications, however, did allow for proper funerals and memorials to finally be held, and after years of being known only as forensic sketches and anonymous remains, Marlice, Mary, and Sarah had finally returned to their extended family by name. For investigators, this marked a major milestone in the case that had once seemed impossible to solve, but still one victim who was found inside the barrels still remained unnamed.
Speaker 2: Okay, well yeah, and I was like, why is I mean, I guess she's with them because that's his child.
Speaker 1: We won't know because he's dead. He won't ever tell us why or how this happened. All we know is they were found in the barrels. The least we can do is to try and identify them.
Speaker 2: And like, really, we don't even one hundred percent know that it was him, but it's most likely him. Yeah, it's like very high percentage we know.
Speaker 1: But he would never be convicted of right, So, yeah, everything, everything matches, everything is laid out, there's evidence, strong evidence to say he did it, but technically speaking, no, he's not convicted of them because he's dead. He can't be. Yeah, but it is he is responsible.
Speaker 2: Jeez, Okay. And then also there's probably like many more out there, I'm thinking potentially, because like he I'm I just feel like sitting here listening to this. He you know, commits a serious crime and then he changes his identity, and then he commits a serious crime and changes his identity.
Speaker 1: Yep. Now, Terry Rasmussen's biological daughter, the one that still has no name, is the focus now. Investigators didn't know who her mother was, and they didn't know where she'd been born or anything. In fact, they didn't even know how long she'd been alive before becoming one of Terry's victims. They didn't know how old she was. Investigators had long referred to her as quote, the middle child, and she would have been estimated to have been around three or four years old at the time of her death. And that's about all authorities knew for a long time. They believed her mother may also have been a victim of Terry Rasmussen, possibly killed in another state, and never connected him too, but continuing to pursue answers even decades later, the new Hampshire State Police Cold Case unit partnered again with a DNA dough project in early twenty four, sorry so in early twenty twenty four to re examine the unidentified child using advanced genetic genealogy techniques again. By this point, investigative genealogy had matured significantly since it was first used in the bear Brooks case. Larger database and improved family tree analysis made it possible to explore distant matches in much greater detail, and after extensive genealogical research reportedly involving a construction of a massive family tree containing tens of thousands of individuals, investigators were finally able to identify the child's maternal line. That research led them to a woman whose name was Pepper Reed, originally from Texas, born in nineteen fifty two. From there, documentary records were located confirming that Pepper Reed had given birth to a daughter in nineteen seventy six in Orange County, California, and that child's name was Rhea Rasmussen. On September fifth, twenty twenty four, authorities officially confirmed the identification through documentary evidence and DNA testing. The last remaining victim of the bare Brick murder finally had her name an identity.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Rear Rasmussen was Terry Petters Mussen's biological daughter. Her mother, Pepper Reid, had not been seen since the late nineteen seventies and also remains missing today.
Speaker 2: You're kidding me, Nope, holy shit.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. So we have four confirmed, five confirmed murders under his name and two missing persons as well related to his name. But like you said, how many more?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, And because he's he had four children too, and so then but with this one woman, he only had the one correct. Okay.
Speaker 1: So with Rhea's identification, all four victims found in the bear Brook State Park had their names once again, marking their conclusion of a more than forty year effort to restore their identities. What began as a hunter stumbling upon a rusted barrel in the woods of Allenstown, Well It became one of the most influential cold case investigations in modern criminal history. The case unfolded in reverse, with investigators having to identify the killer first and only then could they begin the long process of restoring identities of those he had killed. It was an unusual path in when Genetic genealogy was first used to identify Terry Resmusen in twenty sixteen. It was still largely experimental in criminal investigations. The success of that effort helped demonstrate that publicly available DNA bases, combined with traditional investigative work could unlock cases that had been considered unsolvable. The techniques while it refined. All this refined during the Barbrook investigation would later contribute to the identification even of the Golden State Killer and countless other cold cases across the country, and that number is growing daily, making an extremely powerful tool to investigators and their kit today. But for Allenstown, New Hampshire, the case was never just about forensic innovation. It was about four murder victims left in barrels alone in the woods, unidentified for decades. It was about families who never filed missing persons reports because they believed their loved ones had simply left on their own free will. It was about a small town that buried strangers under headstones that read known only to God, hoping someday they would be known to someone. The identification of Marlise Honeychurch, Marie Vaughan, Sarah Macwaters and re arrest Musen didn't erase what happened. It didn't even answer most of the questions about Terry's full history or how many other victims had fallen to him. Denise Bowden remains missing. Pepper Reid remains missing. There are still gaps in Terry Rasmussen's timelines that investigators continue to examine. But the names matter. For thirty four years, three victims were buried without any sort of name. For nearly forty years, the fourth remained a question mark, and now they are no longer anonymous. While we often cover stories here about murders, and though this one may contain it, that's not what this story is. This story is about finding identities, ensuring those who were about to be lost to time and violence were reunited with their names and given that respect that they deserve. The woods of bear Brooks still stand quiet, but the silence that once surrounded those barrels has been replaced by answers, not perfect ones, not even complete ones, but enough to return identities to the people who lost them. And in the world of true crime, where so many cases go unresolved, that alone is so significant. And that's the story of the bear Brook murders.
Speaker 2: Okay, A like, what a wild ride that was?
Speaker 1: It is a wild ride.
Speaker 2: I almost want it. Okay, I don't feel like I feel like this often, but I almost want to listen to this one again just be like, you know, put my wrap my mind around all of it. And this guy, like, I'm sure that he's done way frickin' more. But the fact that these these four people in this barrel get to have it, you know, a head what is.
Speaker 1: It, headstone, headstone, tombstone however, yeah, whatever.
Speaker 2: You want to say that has a name is like it's huge phenomenal because the work behind having to get them that is like so great. Yeah, I mean I can't even imagine how well obviously it took frickin decades, right in.
Speaker 1: Forty years, yeah, but they didn't give up. And thanks to genetic genealogy, which I'm pretty sure I said that in that term, like thirty forty times in this case alone. Thanks to that, they're progressing today and they have discovered you know, his name, many other people's names, and they're going to continue bringing people to justice and identifying those people lost because I mean, I mean, it's it's it's so important we do.
Speaker 2: It's very much so is. But if only we didn't have frickin monsters like Terry in the world have to do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know, right, but that's unfortunately the case, and here we are. So do you think that fits in the definition of slow burn a state of slowly mounting anger or annoyance.
Speaker 2: I guess actually, yeah, I guess so. It definitely was not the slow burn I.
Speaker 1: Was hoping it was, but you were hoping.
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: It was not a spicy podcast.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'll read one of those later, yes, kidding.
Speaker 1: But I am very happy that they were identified, and that means a lot, if the very least, we get that, and that's that's important. Yeah, but I do want to thank you guys for being here. It means the world. And I also want to say again, not only to the victims of this story, but also to the victims of the tumblr Ridge incident that we discussed at the very beginning, our hearts go out to them. This world is a horrific place. Don't feed into the horrificness of it. Be a kind, understanding person, and yeah, our hearts go out to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tumbler Ridge Strong, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: For being here, and until next time, stay wicked.