Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI Am six forty Wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: How you wake up your hoste Amy Kay.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock, straight up. This is your waight up wake up call for Friday, October eleventh. We made it just a few more hours and the weekend is here. I'm Amy King. Thanks for getting your day started with us. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You can listen on the app, you can listen on the radio, whatever you do. We're just happeny happy that you're here, happeny that you're here. Hey, Dodgers in action tonight against the Padres. It's Game five. I got my Dodger blue on and you have your Hidas. Hey, Neil Savader's here. Nice to see you so early in the morning. Of course he's coming up in an hour. We're not gonna have Wayne with us for a Handle on the News and for Bill Handle Show today because he's got technical issues. But so we've got uh Neil Savadra And I know I saw it producer in but I don't know if she's wearing her Padres brown. I think she is. We're having a nice little rivalry, and I keep saying it's a friendly rivalry, and then people on social media are going Dodger sock, Padres sock. Can't we all just get along anyway? The games tonight. I'm super excited. In fact, we're going to the game, so just expect to hear a little extra loud cheering. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. Almost two and a half million customers are still without power in Florida after Hurricane Milton tore through the state. In the Tampa area, about a half millionaire in the dark. The storm, which hit shore as a Category three hurricane, crossed the state and then dissipated in the Atlantic Ocean yesterday morning. We're going to get the latest from Tampa with ABC's Jim Ryan. That's coming up in about three minutes. The city of Anaheim is cracking down on sleeping on sidewalks. Three laws have been passed unanimously by the city council. The laws will prohibit keeping belongings on streets or sidewalks, lying down or sleeping on a bus or park benches, or taking part in selling bicycles in public areas. The pilot of a small plane that crashed on Catalina Island, killing all five people on board. Was not cleared for takeoff. The crash happened Tuesday night, shortly after the plane took off from Catalina Airport. The airport operates from eight am to five pm. The crash happened at eight thirty pm. We're not riding the old fashioned way anymore. ABC's Rob Holly is going to tell us why experts say it's time to pick up your pen and pencil again. That's coming up at five twenty. And then at the bottom of the hour, you know, it's almost time to start decorating for the holidays, and the house whisper says, now is the time to let loose, be wild and go for it this Christmas season. And then ABC's Will Gans has a real heartstopper for us, and also a scary show that just might stop your heart. That's coming up with the Entertainment Report. That happens shortly before the top of the hour at six oh five. It's Handle on the News with Neil Savager. Today, a shooting on the five Freeway locked up traffic for hours. We'll tell you about that. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Orange County has deployed its OCFA Type one Emergency Response Team for the first time in sixteen years to help with recovery efforts from Hurricane Milton.
Speaker 3: The team includes structural specialists, doctors, specialized rescue personnel and leadership, plus.
Speaker 4: Over one hundred thousand pounds of equipment, several eighteen wheelers, light vehicles, boats.
Speaker 3: Division Chief Kevin Fetterman says the team includes personnel from Anaheim and Orange.
Speaker 4: I actually just came off of the airport fire as the inc Commander and then one day later I'm the FEMA Urban Search and Rescue Blue Incident Support Team Planned Section Chief. So it's been a busy month, but I'm glad to serve.
Speaker 3: California sent more than three hundred and fifty personnel, which includes teams from LA City and LA County in Orange County Corbin Carson kf I News.
Speaker 1: President Biden in more than sixty Democrats are urging Speaker Mike Johnson to call the House back into session to approve more disaster funding.
Speaker 5: The White House has won The Small Business Administration's loan program for disaster relief has more urgent needs than FEMA does, but it's expected the President will ultimately seek more money for both agencies.
Speaker 1: ABC Stephen Portnoy says Johnson has resisted calling the House back. Johnson said yesterday it would be premature because it's going to take weeks to assess the damage. Jesus Congress will act immediately when they get the numbers. Seven eleven franchisees in LA have voiced their support for a tough on crime bill.
Speaker 6: In California, more than twenty five franchisees attended a rally in LA to support Prop thirty six. The rally yesterday was held that is seven eleven in mid City, owned by Jawater Sni. His store was hit by flashbob robberies both in August and September.
Speaker 5: They take video.
Speaker 7: They think this is fun, they think this is an activity, and it's devastating to the community.
Speaker 6: Prop thirty six would repeal elements of Prop forty seven and create harsher punishments for some theft and drug crimes in LA. Blake Trolly KFI News.
Speaker 1: TESLA has unveiled its Robotaxi. CEO Elon Musk showed off the cyber cab concept vehicle at an invite only event yesterday at the Warner Brothers studio in Burbank. During the event, attendees were told they would be welcome to take a test ride in the cyber Cab, which does not have a steering wheel or pedals. In addition to the big reveal, Musk shared his vision for the future of Optimist robots. He says they're going to be able to babysit, walk your dog, and serve drinks and will cost about twenty to thirty thousand dollars. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan in Town of Florida. As the sun rises on Florida this morning. How are things looking not bad?
Speaker 8: I mean, the weather is certainly cooperating with the early efforts to start to clean up process. And that's really how people will be spending their coming days and probably months in a lot of cases, just trying to get back on their feet. Something like two and a half million power outages still around the state of Florida. A lot of that concentrated in the middle part, not necessarily the point of landfall, but the part that Milton struck after making landfall and heading up to the northeast. It's where we've had so much of the destruction from this, and there may be more to come as the rivers continue to rise here, Amy and Jim, is.
Speaker 1: It just the first responders and rescue crews that are there now or are people coming back to their areas?
Speaker 8: People are coming back, And in fact, yesterday morning, even as the wind was still kind of dying away and it was dark, people were making their way back into neighborhoods to see what was there. But again, it sort of depends upon where they live. State officials, countyaders are still urging everybody to stay away until the cleanup is you know this, until debris is out of the streets, the water has receded, and the power is back on. Some folks I think are heating that stay away. I talked to a station this morning in Georgia, Atlanta, and they said that people were already leaving there and having evacuated up to Georgia and now we're heading back down here to Florida.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's got to be tough because, like if people start coming back and they don't know if their house is there or not, and then they you know, get into their neighborhood and lo and behold the house is gone. Then what do they do? I mean, because you would imagine that the hotels are already full, or maybe they're not because everybody got out of town.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so it's a tough situation, and you know, I think a lot of folks are making that tough decision. Do we decide to stay here and rebuild and wait for the next storm to come along, or do we pack it up and go away. And hearing from some people who say that they're going to do the ladder, that they're going to just move away somewhere the hurricanes are and so to a major risk. Of course, no matter where you go, you're going to have some sort of some sort of natural disaster waiting for you. Tornadoes in the middle part of the country, blizzards in the northeast, and of course hurricane are earthquakes where you are.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, Oklahoma's looking pretty good, but there you have a lot of tornadoes too. Oh yeah, okay. In speaking of tornadoes, you know, there was the storm surge. We had up to ten feet in areas, and the high winds and the rain. But the deadliest part of the storm was the tornadoes, which is incredible.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there are always tornadoes associated with hurricanes. It's rare that you have a hurricane that doesn't include a tornado warning somewhere at least a sighting. But this time you've had at least seven people who were killed by tornadoes far across the state. From the point of landfall one hundred and fifty miles away from c sta Key in Saint Lucie County, they've had at least six fatalities from these tornadoes that were spun off. So yeah, really a remarkable depth of damage across this the state, the area, and of course the variety of damage that was done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just the power of Mother Nature is just it's just crazy. Like you think of that big, massive hurricane and it's like a tornado just as sort of like a little spin off of it, but can do more damage. And speaking of the damage, have you been out in checking stuff out in the area you pretty much stuck where you are.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I've been able to get out and look around and see what's there. And still some street flooding and things like this, and a lot of debris in the street even here in downtown. Yesterday the streets were filled with debris. There are trees all over the place, beautiful downtown area here in Tampa. But with that comes this. You know, if there's a strong enough wind, a lot of that stuff's going to get blown down. And that's what happened yesterday.
Speaker 9: Gosh.
Speaker 1: Okay, And as far as recovery efforts, like from all that we can see here on the West coast, it seems like Governor DeSantis kind of has a handle on it. He's got people mobile. Are storm recovery efforts going better there than they have in like North Carolina from Helene, Well, maybe.
Speaker 8: So, And of course it's a different situation, different challenges facing the area. And Florida, of course is used to dealing with this kind of disaster.
Speaker 1: And yeah, they were expecting it. North Carolina wasn't, Yeah right, right.
Speaker 8: And especially from a storm that came in from the Gulf Coast and made its way up to western North Carolina. Florida is maybe a little better equipped. It's a peninsula course, and so parts of it can get cut off from the rest of the world. But yeah, it seems okay. I mean, the state is here, National Guards here, FEMA is on the ground, and of course, every insurance company in the world has agents had it out here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, So while we're focusing on storm recovery, and you know, unfortunately it's I think it's up to at least fourteen people have died, which is way less than North Carolina. And we're focusing on the recovery. But one last question for you, what have a Milton.
Speaker 8: The storm itself?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean is it gone? I know it went back out to see but is it still churning or is it just dissipated?
Speaker 8: It is gone, finally, just dropped off the weather maps yesterday. It's now what are they terming this thing? A post tropical sideclone? Not even a depression anymore. It's just it's gone. It's as much damage as a storm like that does. It has a limited lifespan, so it's completely gone. There's one out there called Leslie, but that storm will stay well offshore. It's not threatening anybody or any land mass at all.
Speaker 1: Anybody else brewing in the oceans.
Speaker 8: I hate to even mention it. I mean, way over there off the coast of Africa is a disturbance that has maybe a twenty percent chance of growing into something, but forecasters have no idea what it might do or where it might go.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, like just how they just pop up and like this one with Milton, how it it showed up so fast, gained so much strength so quickly, and just slammed into Florida so quick and then is gone.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Well, the Gulf Gulf of Mexico has been the birthplace of the majority of the storms this year. That is unusual too, all right.
Speaker 1: Jim Ryan, thank you so much. How much? How much longer do you stay in Tampa?
Speaker 8: Two and a half hours?
Speaker 1: Oh, you're heading home? Yes, once the airport reopens.
Speaker 9: It's opening, just open thirteen minutes ago. I'm keeping tabing, not that you're keeping track of it. All right, we'll have a safe flight home. Thank you so much, Jim Ryan. We appreciate your reporting from on the ground in Florida a lot. See right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. One person has been killed another was taken to the hospital following a shooting on the five Freeway in Boyle Heights. The shooting yesterday afternoon caused a traffic jam miles long. Kfi's Michael Monks says the CHP closed at northbound lanes near Loraina Street.
Speaker 10: Investigators were seen on foot walking around in a line with flashlights on the highway the barren empty highway that had been shut down, likely looking for any shell casings that may have been left behind from the shooting.
Speaker 1: Several cars were damaged, two of them were facing the wrong way on the freeway. One of them had a shattered rear window. Costly legal settlements are breaking the City of LA's reserve funds, which are close to fiscal emergency status. City Administrator Matt Zebo told the City council Budget Committee this week changes need to be made or the reserves are going to drop further.
Speaker 2: We don't want to go there.
Speaker 9: It is critical that we get back up, that we raise our reserves back to our five percent minimum.
Speaker 1: Zebo says legal settlements have cost the city two hundred and sixty million dollars since July, one hundred million more than was budgeted for the entire fiscal year that started in July. He suggested the city may need to finance future settlements, as it already has another seventy million worth of settlements on the horizon. A man in his eighties has drowned in a pool in the Hollywood Hills. The man was found on responsive yesterday at a home on West Woodrow Wilson Drive. He died at the scene. A military investigation is found the drownings of two US Navy seals off the coast of Somalia were preventable. The men drowned in January as they tried to climb aboard a ship carrying Iranian made weapons to Yemen. The military blames training failures and a lack of understanding about what to do after a fall into deep turbulent waters. The review found the men sank quickly because of the heavy equipment they were carrying. They either didn't know or disregarded concerns that their floatation devices could not compensate for the extra weight. Both were lost at sea. Twelve people have been rescued from the bottom of a former gold mine in Colorado. Authority say one person was killed yesterday when an elevator malfunctioned at the Molly Kathleen gold mine near the town of Cripple Creek. Local Sheriff Jason mike Sel says the tour group was stuck about one thousand feet underground for six hours.
Speaker 11: You're in the earth that deep, your temperatures don't really change. So the biggest thing is they had water. I think if we'd have had this operation go longer, we would have been able to lower them something on a rope system.
Speaker 1: But they didn't have to. The elevator was working again, he says. The tourists are were in communication with authorities the whole time, and we're in good spirits when they were rescued. Former President Trump is headed to southern California. He's holding a campaign rally tomorrow night in Coachella. You can register for tickets to the rally on Trump's website. The rallies at five pm at Calhoun Ranch. Former President Obama has rallied voters in Pennsylvania for Vice President Harris. Obama criticized former president Trump for his rhetoric when it comes to things like the economy and the.
Speaker 8: Reason some people think, wow, I don't know, I don't remember that economy.
Speaker 2: When he first came in being pretty good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was pretty good, cause it was my economy.
Speaker 1: Obama says he had seventy five straight months of job growth before Trump took off. He also encouraged voters to think about their local elections and endorse Democratic Senator Bob Casey for re election in Pennsylvania. When we come back, ABC's Rob Holly is gonna tell us why experts are telling you to put down the tablet and pick up your pen and pencil. I got my pencil right here. It's my new obsession. I use pencils all the time.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 1: At least fourteen people have been killed by Hurricane Milton. Clean up efforts are under way two days after the storm plowed across Florida. Governor DeSantis says while damage is significant, it could have been worse. About two and a half million homes and businesses are still without power. A judge in Manhattan has set a May fifth trial date for Sean Combs in his sex trafficking case. Holmes was taken from a Brooklyn jail to Federal court in Manhattan yesterday afternoon to find out about the trial date. Lawyers for the hip hop rapper have been trying to get Combs freed on bail, but two judges have concluded he would be a danger to the community if he's freed. Justin Timberlake has rescheduled a concert in New Jersey after he canceled Tuesday night's show just an hour before he was supposed to go on stage. The cancelation apparently because of an injury, but no details were given. The concert's now going to happen. On October fifteenth, Timberlake said on Instagram he was sorry he had to postpone and added Jersey can't wait to see y'all At six oh five's handle on the news, Former President Obama has hit the campaign trail to try to convince black men to vote for Kamala Harris. All right, now, let's say good morning to ABC's Rob Holly. Good morning, Rob. Oh we're trying to say good morning to Rob Holly. There we go, good morning, Yes.
Speaker 12: We can, Good morning.
Speaker 1: How are you fabulous? So Rob, there's a tablet company that's focusing on making devices more handwriting friendly. So tell us about that and what it does.
Speaker 12: So it's a company called Remarkable. They have set themselves quite a high bar by calling themselves Remarkable. They've been around for a few years and they have focused on these tablets that put handwriting first. They are all about focus and creativity and handwriting. They have always been e ink tablets, so think like a kindle, but it's always black and white. Their newest version, called the Paper Pro, they've added color, which is really hard to do in the e ink, but they have gotten so now not only can you handwrite stuff out, but you can add all sorts of colors. When you highlight, it actually shows up in like yellow or green, whatever you want. But they have been, you know, very focused on handwriting because they really believe that handwriting is extremely important.
Speaker 1: Okay, so and we're going to talk about that, But I want to ask you about this because I haven't used one of these tablets. You're so you're saying you write on the tablets, which I've seen people do that, but whenever I sign my name on a tablet, it never looks anything like my signature. So but the tablets themselves are better.
Speaker 12: No, this one is much much better. They have done a lot of work on kind of reducing that latency because you know a lot of times when you have like a stylist and you go across the screen and then the line shows up that is almost gone away. When you draw a line across the screen on a remarkable tablet, it's right there, and then another thing. Yeah, we've all done it. Like at it, like at a store where you're scratching on one of those already pretty scratched up signing pads. It never looks right. This one. It follows my hand and my handwriting. As awful as my handwriting is, it's all blamed on me on the Remarkable because this one it really replicates what my handwriting is like.
Speaker 1: Okay, And with the Remarkable tablet, are you using your finger or to use the stylus.
Speaker 12: Nope, you use the stylus. And in fact with the new one, with this paper Pro, you always have to use the stylus on any Remarkable, but this new one they've redesigned it because with the color, it actually is so much going on under the screen on this paper Pro. It's only two tens of an inch thick, it's really really thin, but it's literally little particles of color that are going up and down, and so you have to use the stylus on this. You can use your finger for gestures to like scroll up and down the screen, change the pages, but when you want to write, you're writing with what they call a marker, so it's literally just like writing on paper.
Speaker 1: Okay. So who uses these things, rob I mean, is it for kids who are learning how to write? Is it for adults who don't want to type?
Speaker 12: I think it's they're aiming it. I mean, they will tell you they want everyone to use one. It is a premium device and this paper pro it starts at five hundred and eighty dollars, So you're probably not buying this for really young kids. But any place where you think that paper and pencil is appropriate, that's where Remarkable says they should be like, they really want you to think about this device as a replacement for notebooks and basically like an endless notebook, endless paper.
Speaker 1: But I could say five hundred dollars and just use a piece of paper.
Speaker 12: You could but be able to do this. It is endless paper. So you got to keep buying a lot of paper. And then you can do a lot of things with the notes that you take, like you can organize them, you can go online, you can you can use the technology that they have to translate your handwriting into type out in the type out pages, so it will transcribe that for you so that you can when you when you move into the digital world, you can manipulate it a lot, but it all starts with that focus on writing.
Speaker 1: Okay, and if you have you tried it out, is it kind of cool?
Speaker 12: I have tried it out. I I've got to tell you, I don't want I kind of don't want to go paper.
Speaker 1: You don't want to go back to paper, no, because.
Speaker 12: It's a you're able to take this one thing around with you. Now, this was a little bit bigger than the older ones, but it's still very thin, very light, and it's so easy to write on and it's very easy to kind of like lose yourself in it and really really get to work on it. If you really really like using handwriting.
Speaker 1: Okay, it might be kind of cool, like if you're traveling or something like that too. So absolutely, here's here's my thought too, Robert. I was just before we got on the phone. I was telling wake up call that I use a pencil every day. It's my new obsession. I don't use pens anymore because I think pencils are fun. I don't know why. It's like a new thing in the last year. And actually I like buying the pencils because you can get the fun designer pencils. It cost a lot of money.
Speaker 12: But oh yeah, I've seen those of stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but there's actually some value in actually writing as opposed to typing on your phone or your tablet.
Speaker 12: Absolutely and that, and it was getting my hands on this device remmarketable that really kind of got me thinking about this. And I actually talked to a couple of researchers from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. They've got to study out this year that kind of looks into why handwriting is better than typing, because we've seen studies going all the way back to nineteen ninety handwritings better than typing for like spelling, memory. Recall. What they found was they put these caps on these students so they could monitor their brain activity, and they asked them to do two different things. Handwrite out a word and then type the word. When you hand write out a word, it fires your brain up in ways that typing just doesn't. They found all sorts of connectivity and connectivity in parts of the brain that are related to learning and memory. And that's giving us a clue why. And I think we kind of like, I'll know this instinctively that when I handwrite something out, it kind of gets locked in my head. A little bit more than if I type something out, especially in a learning setting. And I think this is given a clue as to why. It's the way our brain is fired by handwriting.
Speaker 1: So with the remarkable tab, you still get that brain benefit even if you're doing it digitally.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and that's the researchers actually did it that way. They did it with the students who were writing with a stylust So it's not a digital versus paper thing. It is a handwriting versus typing thing. And you talked about the pencils that that even may help, because these researchers told me it's not. They think it's about how our hands move, how our fingers move, and even the feel like you know how when you're writing with a pencil it feels on paper, right, even that feeling, all of that input in your brain, as one of the researchers that told me, it gives more hooks in your brain for the information that you're taking down. So in learning settings in school, you're at a workshop, symposium, whatever, when you're handwriting, it really really helps to lock that stuff in.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting. Okay, So whether you're using a stylist or a pencil, as I do or a pen. Pick it up. It's good for your brain, yes, all right, Rob.
Speaker 12: Holle, very good, very good for your brain, very good for learning.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, thank you so much for the information. That's really interesting. I appreciate it. Rob Holly. We'll take We'll talk to him again, so okay, bye.
Speaker 12: Rob.
Speaker 1: Officials in Long Beach say people affected by a main break no longer have to boil their tap water. Utility officials had issued a boil water notice to certain people in the city who had low water pressure following Wednesday's break. The utilities department says by restoring water pressure, they were able to decrease health hazards associated with a significant drop in pressure. LA City Councilman Kevin d Lyon and his challenger Isabel Hurrado have faced off no debate in Boyle Heights.
Speaker 10: Campaign for the downtown and northeast LA based district has grown contentious, and at this week's debate, the incumbent daily On criticized Herondo for not voting much over the past fourteen years. She did vote for Barack Obama, Historic Canada Once in a Lifetime, Transformer Canada color.
Speaker 5: A black Man.
Speaker 10: Dorado rebutted that she was pregnant during that election and unable to vote. The two duped it out over policing and their different views on homeless camps, with Daily on in favor of removing those camps and Herado opposing. In downtown La, Michael Monks KFI News, I.
Speaker 1: Got my Dodgers blue on and and does in fact have her Padres brown on. The Dodgers in the San Diego Padres are tied at two games each. As the final game of the National League Division Series returns to Dodgers Stadium tonight, first pitch goes out at five eight. You can listen to the game on AM five to seventy LA Sports and NHD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports powered by Zenchi Sushi, Fast, Fresh and Easy. When we come back, we're going to check in with the house whispers as it's time to let yourself free, let loose, have fun, and get ready for the holidays. I'm Amy King. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Seven to eleven franchisees have met in LA to show their support for Prop thirty six, which would mean stiffer sentences for repeat offenders. They also donated a million bucks to the PROPS thirty six campaign. Several seven elevens have been targeted over the last few months, the most recent in Hollywood on Tuesday and in Anaheim on Sunday. In both of those robberies, employees got hurt while dozens of teens and young adults ransacked the store and stole from them. One person has been killed and others been heard in a shooting on the northbound five Freeway and Boil Heights. It happened during rush hour caused massive backups yesterday afternoon four hours. Authorities we're looking for three people in connection with the shootings. A new study shows more than fifteen and a half million adults in the US have ADHD, that's about six percent. Stimulants like rittillin and adderall are often prescribed to treat ADHD, but the study shows almost three and four have trouble actually getting those medications because they're not available. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. A group of survivors of an atomic bomb have won the Nobel Peace Prize. At five point fifty, ABC's entertainment guy Will gans as some spooky and some not so spooky stuff on the stream. Right now, let's say good morning to the host of Home on KFI, the house whisper Dean's Sharp fresh off at trip back east to take in the fall colors.
Speaker 2: Tello Dean, good morning, Amy.
Speaker 1: Before we get started, tell me how fabulous the fall colors are. I've never been back east to like Vermont to see the changing of the colors.
Speaker 2: My first time too, and U, wow, wow, wow. It exceeded our expectations. And that was tough. That that's hard to do. That's really hard to do. We didn't actually hit right on what they call a full peak color, but I couldn't even imagine that that wasn't the case, because it just started exploding all around us. And to think that as you look across this heavily forested area and all you see are these bright yellows and golds and blazing crimson red trees, it just puts you in a place. I don't know how to describe. It just puts you in a place in your head and in your emotions, and you just want to be there. You just kind of move differently, You feel it, you taste it. It's just incredible. It's incredible.
Speaker 1: I've seen the aspens in Colorado change, which is it's also spectacular, but it's just the yellows. And I've heard that back east is just like just like you said, that explosion of color. Got to do that one day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you gotta do it, you gotta do it.
Speaker 1: Now you're back home and it's time to start thinking about the holidays, and you're saying, let yourself, let yourself go free, go wild, be fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So here's the thing. I'm going to talk about this a little bit tomorrow morning on Saturday Show. I try and do this every year. Right as we start cruising into the holidays, I see a shift in people, and it's a great shift. Right all of a sudden, people are thinking about, ooh, you know, let's set out some pumpkins, and oh, I'm going to carve this up. Where should we put this? Where will this Jack O Lendard look best in the house? And then of course that rolls into Thanksgiving and then boom, you know, we're decorating for Christmas and the twinkle lights and everything like that. And I love it all, absolutely love it all, and I love the shift in so many people's thinking in regards to their home. And my point, my encouragement is I want to give you permission to think that way all year long about your home. I see people turn it on and turn it off, and I want you to keep thinking along those lines. And I want to encourage people. So that's what that means, giving permission, not giving permission to decorate for the holidays. I know you're going to do that, but I want to give you permission to think about, like, you know, in February, you know what, what's the you know, how how can I bring more light into this room? How can I make this experience for me every single day of the year. And I'm not talking about Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about being the person on the block who never takes down their Christmas lights. Don't be that, all right, That's not what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You're saying, don't be afraid of change. Like, we get our house set and it's the way it is, and we want to leave it because it's pretty, but maybe start thinking of different ways to make it look cool.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of the things that people are always commenting on about Tina and I is, you know, we're always using our backyard as an experiment of in various things, and some of them we keep. I just added a few weeks ago. It's probably been what four or five five weeks now, a clump of fireflies to our arbor right beyond our fire pit. And by fly fireflies, I mean like you know, the kind that you would see like at the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. There this little pack. You can buy them for fifty dollars, uh, and they plug into your landscape lighting.
Speaker 12: And there are.
Speaker 2: Solar versions too. And the difference is they're not just twinkle lights. There's a microchip that this company, firefly Magic. They're not a sponsored but I'll send you guys there fireflymagic dot com. They there's a microchip that controls the randomness of these little firefly lights going on, oh I want that like a firefly and then fading out again. Right. So people have been sitting out on the deck in the evening saying, hey, what was that, and they start staring up there like, dude, you don't have fireflies in southern California. And so it's just been a really cool ad and we're keeping it. And that's the point. It's just a layer, right, it costs US fifty dollars. It's a layer, and now it's going to stay around for a long long time in our backyard. It's those kinds of things that I'm encouraging everybody. You know, don't ever stop thinking about these creative ways of making your daily experience of your house more like the things you love about the holidays.
Speaker 1: I love the way you're thinking about that. Okay, some other stuff that let's touch on real quick. It is fall and you I always thought that you were supposed to prune everything in the springtime, but you said not so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not so much for a couple of really really important reasons. When it comes to trees. Now, of course, in southern California, there's always maintenance pruning. Okay, little bit of trim here and there that you're fine to do year round, all right, maintenance pruning. But I'm talking about the major pruning back of a tree, especially fall autumn. What we want to do, you know, because pruning to a certain degree shocks a tree, all right, we want to send that shock through the tree as it is starting to go dormant and go to sleep, so that it is not fighting against us. In the spring, that tree is waking up, it's pushing out its sap, it's trying to grow, trying to stretch. That's not the time to prune a tree. Ever, the best pruning takes place in the fall, and then you give that tree all the winter to kind of, you know, work through its new configuration, and man, comes springtime, it will bust out. And the other reason, by the way, that we don't want to trim in the spring major pruning is that we've got all sorts of birds that are nesting up in that tree, nests that you don't see until the big branch comes down and you find out you've disrupted an entire cycle of bird life in your tree.
Speaker 1: That would be bad. Okay, So you're gonna be talking about that, giving yourself permission to really kind of break out of your show when it comes to your home. That's Saturday six to eight, and then on Sunday from nine to noon, you're going to be talking about bedrooms.
Speaker 2: Yes, the inner Sanctum, the Holy of Holies. You know, most people think bedrooms are pretty simple, but they really they're a lot tougher to get, you know, perfect than you think and so yeah, we're going to give an entire show to making a better bedroom for you.
Speaker 1: I love that idea. Okay. Dean Sharp the host of Home right here on KFI again Saturday six to eight am and Sunday nine to noon. And welcome home, and we'll talk to you again next week.
Speaker 2: Glad to be back. Thanks Amy, Thank you Dean.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Cities in Florida are cleaning up after severe damage from Hurricane Milton. The storm knocked out power to millions, caused flooding, and spawned dozens of tornadoes. This woman says she's thankful her daycare in Fort Myers was closed when a tornado tore through the air.
Speaker 4: You pray for.
Speaker 7: The best, but oh, I tell you, I just you know, you thank God that you have your life.
Speaker 2: You know, we can get another building, but we can't get another life.
Speaker 1: At least fourteen people have been killed in the storm. The pilot of a small plane that crashed on Catalina Island, killing all five people on board, was apparently not cleared for takeoff. The crash happened on Tuesday night, shortly after the plane took off from Catalina Airport. Reports are the plane's owner had gone to pick up a couple of pilots who got stuck on the island because of mechanical issues with their plane. Catalina Airport operates from eight to five. The crash happened about three hours after that. So Cal Edison equipment has been blamed for a fire and Laguna Miguel in twenty twenty two that destroyed twenty homes and damaged eleven others. Lawyer Richard Bridgeford says the OC Fire Authority incident report called the cause an unspecified electrical event involving the Edison power line.
Speaker 2: The item first ignited was vegetation.
Speaker 6: The heat source was sparked from the overhead electrical equipment.
Speaker 1: Richard says he represents seventy families who are trying to rebuild and want power lines put underground to prevent future fires. So Cal Edison says it is reviewing the report. LA Mayor Bass has announced a new program. She says he is aimed at helping local businesses get contracts with the city. Procure LA will enable business owners to get one on one consultations with the city's business source centers training and assistance with certification, proposal development, and other services. Bass says she wants to make sure small businesses get what they need. As La gears up for the FIFA World Cup in twenty twenty six and the twenty twenty eight Olympic and Paralympic Games, the state's Air Resources Board has proposed a change in the low carbon fuel standard, which analysts suggest could increase the price of a gallon of gas by sixty five cents. The plan, likely to pass during an emergency legislative session, is being criticized by the oil industry and some economists. Well, I will criticize it too. Sixty five cents a gallon? Are you kidding? One person has been killed twelve others rescued from a former gold mine in Colorado. The tours got stuck one thousand feet beneath the surface after an elevator descending into the Molly Kathleen gold mine near the mountain town of Cripple Creek had a mechanical issue about halfway down. The mine was closed in the nineteen sixties but still operates tours. It's do or die for the Dodgers and the Padres. The two face off tonight for the National League Division title in Game five at Dodger Stadium. The best of five series is all tied up at two and two. I got my Dodger blue on, AND's got her Padres brown on, and we got a rivalry going. Can't wait for the game. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Willgan's Good morning.
Speaker 7: Will, Hey, good morning Amy. I'm so excited to be talking to you.
Speaker 1: I know this is our first time. You're a wake up call virgin.
Speaker 12: That's what we'll call it.
Speaker 1: Sure, Okay, so we're just around the corner from Halloween, but we're not necessarily talking about spooky, scary, gory stuff just yet. We'll get to that, but first we're going to talk about fun and friendship and young love.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, yes, we have to talk about heart stopper. It's so sweet. Season three just dropped on Netflix. It's a show about a couple of high school friends who realize, as you pointed out, there might be something more than friendship going on. The show is sitting at ninety eight percent on Rotten Tomatoes. So I love it, yes, but so do the critics. It's so sweet. It's a big hit with gen Z. It's also a huge hit with the LGBTQ plus community, and the episodes are only half an hour, so it should be a hit with anybody who doesn't like sitting down for extended periods of time when they're watching TV.
Speaker 1: Even when you do sit down for an extended period of time, which I've been known to do a few times, even when you're binging, I still like when the episodes are quick sometime, you know, because then you can get up and go wander around. You're not just stuck sitting on the couch for an hour at a time exactly.
Speaker 7: There's a sense of accomplishment. You watch two episodes that you haven't even lost an hour exactly, so.
Speaker 1: You're it's interesting that you're you're telling us about the story. I have not heard of this one. And one of the things that I wake up call listeners all the time is that I like to binge stuff and refer stuff. But I don't know necessarily, you know, like how do you find the good stuff? Because there's so much out there, and this has been there for three seasons and I've not heard of it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's like slowly becoming like a cult favorite of fan favorite, especially on TikTok and Twitter, where younger people are sharing their ideas about like what they're watching and where they see themselves represented on TV, and Heartstopper is a prime example of that. And I think that, like, you know, even if you're not maybe a member of gen Z, it's just like that, that idea of young love and seeing yourself and seeing stories that maybe haven't seen before on the screen really really matter, and that's why it's.
Speaker 12: Catching on now.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's good for us older folks too.
Speaker 7: That'some for everybody.
Speaker 1: Okay, then for the people who are maybe not gen Z, but maybe gen Z too. There's another show that is out and it's not what nobody wants. It's what everybody apparently wants exactly.
Speaker 7: It's nobody wants this, but it's been trending on Netflix, and for good reason. This show is absolutely wonderful, So it's nobody wants this. It's starring Kristen Bell and Adam Brody and sort of the episode one premise is that she goes to a party and she meets a rabbi and they really hit it off.
Speaker 1: They that sounds like a joke.
Speaker 7: No, it does make for very bunny television though it's wonderful. Their chemistry is amazing, the supporting cabs is excellent. All ten episodes are out on Netflix, and again they're each under half an hour, so you'll fly through them. And also Netflix just announced that it's been renewed for season two, so you can finish season one and then you don't have to worry about saying goodbye to these characters that you've fallen in love with because they'll be coming.
Speaker 12: Back as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, Now, before we let you go, since we are headed into the spooky season, we got to do at least one thing that's spooky or scary or gory.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, and this checks all of those boxes. Actually Speak No Evil is now streaming. I watched it on Amazon Prime. James McAvoy is in it. And this movie is a mass or class in building suspense. So it starts out it's a little uncomfy, and then by the end you will just be on the edge of your seat. This is about a family who meets another family on vacation. They barely know anything about them, but they accept an invitation to go visit this other family. In the countryside, and while they're there, they sort of realize, wait a minute, we don't know as much about these people as we thought we did, and things just take the spooky.
Speaker 12: Scary turn from there.
Speaker 1: Okay. And this was out in theaters and it's just now made it onto the stream exactly.
Speaker 7: It without theaters, and it's one of those ones that sort of came to streaming real quickly. So you might have to pay a couple of bucks to watch it, but it's really really the price.
Speaker 1: Okay, speak No Evil Sounds great, lots of stuff to watch on the stream. Thank you so much, Will Ganson. We'll look forward to talking to you again next week.
Speaker 7: All right, thanks so much, baby, I have a great morning.
Speaker 1: Take care. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Anaheim has voted to ban people from sleeping on the streets.
Speaker 13: The city says people are no longer allowed to sleep on sidewalks, park benches, and at bus stops. Heather Hass has lived in the city for more than a decade and says she feels the band will only work temporarily.
Speaker 2: As of banning them from sleeping outside. I mean, I don't know what how they would control that.
Speaker 13: The city council unanimously voted Tuesday to keep people from leaving their belongings in public spaces. The ban would go into effect in late November if the city council votes to approve it on a second vote that will take place at a later date. Chris Sadler KFI News.
Speaker 1: A new anti camping law is now in effect in Newport Beach. The law kicked in yesterday and Cruz went right to work clearing tents and homeless people from around the Newport Beach Pier. The police also started patrolling the Peer and Balboa to make sure that the homeless people don't come back. In recent days, police have been telling people in the homeless camps that they would be cleared starting on Thursday. Opponents of a tough on crime bill in California have been going door to door to gain support for their side. Criminal justice reform advocate Claire Simonitch says Prop thirty six would cut funding from programs in La County that are effective at keeping people from reoffending.
Speaker 7: They have a rate of rearrest that's only ten percent.
Speaker 1: What you want to compare that to is the rate of rearrest for people who go to state prison. That's forty two percent. A recent poll by UC Berkeley found sixty percent of likely voters support Prop thirty six. The measure would repeal elements of Proposition forty seven and create harsher punishments for some theft and drug crimes. The organization that deals with film permits and on location production is encouraging the state's lawmakers to expand California's movie and TI TV tax incentives. Film LA says its own study shows movie making in LA dropped by about twenty percent in twenty twenty three compared to twenty twenty two. The Permit office, based in Studio City says California's film industry needs more support, so more movies and TV shows are here. Lebanon's health ministry says at least twenty two people have been killed and one hundred and seventeen others have been wounded in Israeli airstrikes that hit two different buildings in Central Bay Route, including an apartment complex. Earlier in the day, a strike on a Central Gaza school turned shelter killed twenty seven people. The Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to a Japanese organization of survivors of the US atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The group advocates against nuclear weapons. The chair of the Norwegian Nobel Committee says the award was made today as the taboo against the use of nuclear weapons is under pressure. Russian President Putin announced a shift his country's nuclear doctrine in September aimed at discouraging the West from allowing Ukraine to strike Russia with longer range weapons. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI morning fog and low clouds, then sunny hies in the seventies at the beaches, eighties for Metro LA and in the Orange County eighties to mid nineties in the valleys and Inland Empire. Seventies to mid eighties for the Antelope Valley. Sunny after morning clouds Tomorrow, little cooler hies around seventy at the beaches, eighty for Metro LA and Inlando c low to upper eighties in the valleys and Inland Empire, seventies to low eighties in the high desert. Than about five degrees cooler for Sunday and Monday. It's fifty nine in Tustin, sixty two in Lahabra, sixty five in Palmdale, sixty in Torrance. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me King. You can always hear Wakeup Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.