Speaker 1: It's nice eyes with Dan Ray.
Speaker 2: I'm going mazy Boston's News radio.
Speaker 3: And is football season, folks? Twenty to sixteen? Now Baltimore had scored twenty to sixteen entering the fourth quarter as the Chiefs lead Baltimore in the season opener. And oh, remember when the Patriots used to have that big Thursday night game down at Ulllett Stadium in Foxborough and everybody would be there. I even remember when Donald Trump would be on the sideline. Yes, I did interview Donald Trump one time on the sideline. He was hanging out with the Crafts. He had millennia with him. And this is when he was just a reality TV star. This wasn't when he was running for president. That's when the Patriots were massive. And to say their rebuilding is an understatement. Joining us right now is Nicole Gang Boston Globe. Nicole, thanks for coming on Night's side.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 3: So how's everything going atji Lette, how's everything in Foxborough? What's going on? How is the optimism? Uh? First of all, I got to talk about Look, we all know the rebuilding, right, so we'll we'll get to all that stuff. But I love my guy Mayo. I mean, I worked with Gerard a couple of years at Comcast Sportsnet now NBC Sports Boston. He's a great dude. What are your impressions of him as the coach so far? And I know they haven't played a game yet, but you know basically what you've done, how you've dealt with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say optimism within the building is very high about Gerard, both from like an internal perspective with the players and from dealing with the media perspective. Girod has made it a point to be sort of more friendly with the media. He's trying to be more transparent.
Speaker 3: Then who who would that be? Who are we talking about? Nicole who?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: You know the who's now a media star? I mean, that is just so hilarious. It's just it happens all the time. They hate us, they hate us, and then they want to be us. Uh, Gid's the best. Here's the thing. You know, it's interesting because you know, I've heard my guys. You know, is he you know, does he have anything to do with the offense? Is he a defensive coach? You know, how's that shaken out? I mean, is he truly the head coach? Or is he the head coach, but he's letting the offense do what they want without any input. I don't know if you have any insight on that.
Speaker 4: So they've been stressing a collaborative approach since Gerard has hired alongside Elliott Wolfe Alex and Alex van Pelt, so I think he's involved. But that being said, has said too that he's been relying on the experts in their field. So I think he's referring to Alex van Pelt and Elliott Wolf and about as final say over roster decisions, who has final say over the quarterback decision, and they still seem to be stressing this collaborative effort now at the end of the day, I think Elliott has the final say over the roster. Girod has the final say over who's playing on the actual field, and then he's taking input from Alex Vanpel, Elliott and even Robert Kraft.
Speaker 3: And that's the way it should be. That's the way it should be. That's absolutely it's Elliott Wolf's team. You know, he's the GM and his dad, Ron Wolf, was very successful with the Green Bay Packers. I've heard good things about Elliott Wolf. I think it's too damn hard. Excuse me. You know, Bill Parcells to pick the groceries and also cook the dinner. I just think it's too freaking hard.
Speaker 4: And I think, to the man we were just talking about, like, that's one of the reasons why they wanted to move on from Bill Belijack, because that's just sort of become antiquated model to have the coach handling also personnel responsibilities. Now do those things work in tandem, of course, But I think that they like the fact that there's not these unilateral decisions being made across the board and that it is sort of people being specialized in their departments, but there's still a lot of collaboration across the board.
Speaker 3: Do you how's Alex van Pelt then? Have you had a chance to talk to him much?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think everyone's just waiting to see what the offense actually looks like. Like there are people that think it's not going to be as bad as we think, and then there of course are definitely people that are justified in thinking that it's going to be a disaster, especially based off of the performance in the preseason finale. But Alex Vmpell understands the opportunity he has. He hasn't really had this stage before in terms of play calling, so I think he wants to prove himself he understands for what's that stake here. And I think that's why they brought in so many people that are familiar with his system in Cleveland, because they're really trusting him and leaning into that system.
Speaker 3: I think the poor guy's screwed. And i'll tell you why. Billy O'Brien's a hell of a coach. Okay, Billy O'Brien came back here and he was just he didn't have a shot because after Bill, you know, Bill missed everything put when he put a special teams coach in his defensive coach in charge of the offense, and it just killed the quarterback. It just messed everything up and it was beyond repair. And Billy O'Brien came in and really couldn't do anything with it. I don't know what Alex Van Pelt's going to be able to do. He's got no offensive line. Jacoby Burssett on a scale of one to ten as a quarterback in the NFL, he's probably a four. I don't even know who the receivers are. I don't know how we were going to be able to listen if they win five games because of the offense. Give Alex Van Pelt a contract. That's what I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, that's all fair. I think the offensive line is obviously the biggest question for the team right now. I think there are going to be like a very run heavy team. I think he's stressed the importance of the running game. Ramandre Stevenson has said that he wants to be a featured back. In the past, Patriots sort of did an alternating system one drive on, one drive off, but Remandra has said that he's ready for a bigger role. I think that's going to be the case. But we'll see if like Ramandre will get the touches. But we'll see if any production will come along with that.
Speaker 3: Right, And it's not cool in the NFL to play that type of game. It's boring. People want to light it up, they want the fantasy numbers and so forth. Personally, I don't mind the running game. I think that you have to have balance to try to keep your quarterback alive, and so I think you're gonna have a running game as they rebuild. Quite quite frankly, joining us right now from the Boston Globe, Nicole Yang, Nicole, can you hang on? We got to take a break. Yeah, no problem, Okay, talking about the Patriots in the upcoming season right here on WBC's Night Side.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan Way live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News.
Speaker 3: Radio, and welcome back to Cole Yang. Join this here from the Boston Globe as the NFL season is underwear and the Patriots open up at one o'clock this weekend in Cincinnati. Are you traveling with the team? Nicole? I am yeah, Oh you get to go to Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Yes, the Joys of Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: We're on to Cincinnati. How about that? So is there anybody is there something you see in the offense? You mentioned Stevenson? Are there some names? Are there some diamonds in the rough that you're seeing that as this team rebuilds, and man they are rebuilding that down the road you might say could contribute.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think Jalen Pole for sure. Once of the team, He's proven to be just like a viable, hard working guy. I think to Mario Douglas is picking up where he that's a fast year now of Tomrio is a bit of a smaller guy names that stand out. Fence hunter Henry had a bit of an injury because he was out for the end of training camp, but I expect him to be a popular target regardless of the quarterback. There are a few names. None of them are flashy per se, but or I guess Henry's not, but Mario Douglass and Jalen Polk Firs Sir. Would be building blocks.
Speaker 3: Do you think there's any point this season we see Drake may.
Speaker 4: I do, and I think that's a really interesting dilemma for the Patriots because I think as of right now, they definitely want to take things patiently. Just don't think that Jacoby will be able to keep this team afloat for sort of the things we've been for the reasons we've been discussing so far, and that seems to be the standard based on what Elliott saying is that as long as Jakoby does his job and plays the way that they think he's able to, then he'll start the entire season. But Peter Guts well, given their deficiencies on offense, I just don't see them being in a position where the pressure doesn't count them to make a change.
Speaker 3: Do you think I worry about the quarterbacks getting killed. That's the thing that's the problem, you know. I don't want their draft pick to get hurt. Now Brissette could, he's he's in the line of fire too. If Brissette went down, Heaven forbid knock on wood. I hope it doesn't happen. I hate to see players get hurt. Would they automatically go to the kid or would they bring in somebody else. I think they should bring in somebody else because I don't want this kid to get destroyed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that's another interesting one that as of right now, they've said and and and can't play even there, And it seems to run contrast to what their overall dement is or even next year. So it definitely seems odd that they're comfortable right currently.
Speaker 3: Nicole. Yeah, yeah, Nicole, we're having trouble with you. You're breaking up on us here, So we're going to try to rectify the problem with your phone signal because we're only hearing like every other syllable, you know, one of those one of those deals. So Nicole Yang is our guest here from the Boston Globe talking about the upcoming Patriots season. Now, defensively for the Patriots, things should be better than they are on offense. You know, Okay Nicole is back with us. Okay, Nicole, hopefully we have a better signal now. So I mean, if you were to guessed what week would we see may I mean, do you think you would see him in the first half of the season or maybe in the final five or six games.
Speaker 4: I think it totally depends on the performance of the team. So I could see week five maybe being the earliest possibility.
Speaker 3: You think they would put him out that quick.
Speaker 4: I think it's on the table that gives him a month to sort of get familiar with preparing for a game. It's against Miami at home. I think the first four games are probably, barring injury, off the table, just given the caliber of opponent and the circumstances. So I think week five is probably the earliest. Week eight against the Jets at home could also be a possibility. That's also a team that they've played in Week three, so maybe there's a little familiarity in his preparations. Coming back from the bye is a possibility. So I mean, as of right now, without seeing their record and how things go, I think Week five, Week eight, All different points of the season are on the table, but I would like I wouldn't expect them to have his first start be in London, for example, because of just how interrupt that can be to a routine. But I haven't ruled out beginning and middle or a full red shirt ear. I just truly think everything's on the table without seeing results.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, now what do you like about him? Do you like him.
Speaker 6: Drake?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think he's flashed his arm strength, basically all the skills that made him worthy of a third overall pick. He can move, he seems comfortable in the pocket, like he said he would be ready to start, and I think he looked it. And we talk about the quarterbacks getting killed or facing pressure, and he seems to be handling it well. And you look at Joe Burrow's rookie season, he was sacked the most number of times in the league. Now, Joe Burrow is probably maybe a tear up in terms of a prospects compared to Drake. But Drake is still like a high level prospect and higher than I think the quarterback that is maybe causing a lot of mac jones and that I think he'll be able to handle pressure better than.
Speaker 3: Mac and that, Yeah he's better than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what what broke.
Speaker 4: Mac Jones down in terms of like his confidence and things like that, Like I don't expect Drake to have the same uh trajectory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look look at where they both played college ball. Mac Jones was at Alabama. He was Alabama, he was surrounded by first round picks. Everything was perfect, Everything happened to be in place. He's a serviceable quarterback. Mac Jones is a serviceable quarterback. If you have great players around him, they can do very good things. But he's not going to carry a team. I mean, Mac just isn't going to do that. I think that the coaching staff really threw him under the bus. This kid, Drake May. I think it's a different situation. I think there's much more upside with Drake May than when Mac Jones And yeah, you know, I'm sorry, go ahead continue.
Speaker 4: And what you're saying too is true of what they saw in Drake at North Carolina. And obviously the NFL is a different caliber of competition than North Carolina college football. But Drake wasn't playing necessarily behind a sound line or with uber talented receivers, but he still made plays happen, and so I think you have to trust in your evaluation of him. Of course, you don't want to rush his development and their plans. So far, the patient seems to be paying off because he has been making strides throughout training camp and now into the preseason. But I think you do also have to believe in the player that you did draft.
Speaker 3: Do you think he's exceeded expectations in the preseason, because I think he.
Speaker 4: Has, I don't know about maybe exceeded expectations. He was a third overall pick and they did view him very highly. I think he's flat. He definitely has come on really strong. I think maybe he benefited from the fact that he only played six snaps in the preseason in the first preseason game, and that through maybe the first two weeks of training camp it was very obvious that Jacoby was the better quarterback, so the expectations sort of were low and then he really jumped up. So but I think he's he's on par with what they were expecting out of him. They've always been high on him.
Speaker 3: So what do you think of the AFC East? You know, I don't know, did you make a prediction on the Patriots having did you have to pick in the globe? How many wins do you think they're going to have?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 4: I picked four, that's about right.
Speaker 3: I get that. Do you remember who who the victories are?
Speaker 4: We didn't help to specify, But I think Tennessee is a winnable game. I think there's always some sort of like foot like last year when they beat Buffalo. I think that's the possibility. Indianapolis so and then who knows, maybe the defense wins them a game. So I think there are four wins, though at most on paper as things stand right now.
Speaker 3: So what do you think of the AFC East? I mean, this is still Buffalo's thing. Any thoughts on the Jets Miami?
Speaker 4: Uh, it wouldn't surprise me if Buffalo takes a step back. I think the Jets, if Aaron Rodgers stays healthy, definitely have a chance. A lot of people have them going to the conference championship game, maybe even the super Bowl. So it wouldn't surprise me at the Jets. They're just loaded with talent, cake the division title.
Speaker 3: I feel bad for Jet fans. They need a little love. They do they need a little love? Come on, they need something here. They need they and I mean Rogers, he's out of his mind. He's a nut job. But if he does stay healthy, you know, they can certainly get something done. I'm surprised that Buffalo Buffalo's were rest a little bit, haven't they.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they lost Stefon Diggs. Of course they have Keon Coleman as a young wide receiver, but it takes time for rookie wide receivers to come on, even like I'm on, we're all Saint Brown, like the players that now are sort of household names like their rookie years, they don't really come on till, like I don't know, week ten and start putting up like big numbers. So it just wouldn't surprise me if it takes them a while to sort of find their groove in their rebuild is too strong. But like retool, is.
Speaker 3: It still Kansas City's deal here? I mean, I haven't even checked the score on what's going on. I know Baltimore scored, but is it still Kansas City's league or championship to lose?
Speaker 4: I picked the Chiefs to win the Super Bowl. I think there are a lot of fun hot up and coming teams. The Lions, the Texans. But Kansas City knows what it takes as cliches that sounds to win a Super Bowl. They know the pacing of a season, they know how to sign magnitude to wins and losses, and they know just like mentally, how long of a season it is to get to February. So I think right now there's no reason to doubt them. And I think there are teams on the rise for sure, but none is strong enough to knock off the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kansas City twenty seven to seventeen, with five minutes to go leaving Baltimore right now. They get the quarterback. That's it. They get the quarterback and mister Taylor Swift. So that's that's all. Lady. Is that going to last? What do you think is that going to last? The Swifties, the swift Mania, Yeah, well, the swift mania, but the relationship.
Speaker 4: Oh with I see. I mean, who's to say. I think they seem happy she's at the game tonight. They seem to be making it work. But they're also two very high profile individuals, so who knows. Ben Affleck and Jalo broke up for the second time, so anything can happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean, come on, Nicle, we all saw that one coming. I mean, that was that was a no brainer as long. Here's here's always the issue because we saw it with Brady and Gizelle. Everything's great until you stopped playing. When guys stop playing, they've got nothing to do. And the Kelsey Brothers have a great podcast. They're you know, they're very uh you know, I can see Travis. He could go into movies, he could go into the booth. But when guys stopped playing, things change. And she obviously she's a megastar, she's an international mania, you know. I mean, if she's a ten, now he's a three. You know, if he stops playing, she's still a ten and he's like he's a negative one. That's where it always gets interesting. Mark my words on that. The problem is when they stop playing. But right now it looks good. I just wish sometimes I just you know, sometimes when he gets in front of a microphone, he acts like I'm moron. You know, he growls, he's yes, says something, he wraps something, he yells something. I'm like, just can't you just be normal? Just be normal? You know what I mean. That's that's that's all I want, no, no know, maybe she'll maybe she'll get him to grow up. Well, listen, we we really appreciate you coming on, Nicole. Great job, best of luck on the road this year with the team covering the patch and believe me, you are going to earn every dime the Boston Globe pays you.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much for having me, Gary, Okay.
Speaker 3: Nicole Yang joining us from the Boston Globe here on WBC's night Side with you until twelve midnight. Right here on BZ, Gary Tangling in for Dan Ray. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Night side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 3: Hi, Dan, I can thank you very much. Gary Tangling for Dan Ray tonight six Month, seven two five, four to ten thirty. If you want to jump on board here until twelve midnight. We'd like to thank all of our guests for coming on this evening discussing discussing the M cast with Devin MacCarthy earlier on why do we even need it? Should it be a grad requirement? I say no, I don't think so. And then so the dealer is, if you flunk the M cast in the tenth grade, you don't graduate, so you don't have a chance to make it up your junior or senior year. If you flunk as a sophomore, you do not graduate. What that's crazy. Kids will probably just drop out of school. And according to the numbers, one percent of the students who take the m cast fail the m Cast in Massachusetts. I had a great conversation this evening. If you're just joining as you can catch it the podcast online tomorrow with Ben Selkoe and he nominated filmmaker and friend of Gary Tangoy was just dropped in in there. It's on Hulu and it is a true true crime docu series Killing Lives Chasing a true crime con man about French serial killer expert stephar And Bargoyne, who turned out to be a fraud said he interviewed seventy seven serial killers. Nope, pretty much made all of it up. Let everybody and then it was actually consulting with the police and saying he solved crimes. This guy was making it said that his girlfriend was murdered by a serial killer. He made it all up. Nobody even questioned it. Well, people started to question them, and that's what happens. That's part of the series. So it's really good. Check out a terrific novel, The Truth about Horses from author Christy Christy Cashman. Christy was kind enough to join us. Could be made into a TV series. We'll see good young adult novel. So that was check check that out. It's a good read. And that's what's been happening tonight on Night Side. Coming up tomorrow night at ten o'clock, we will be joined by a couple of attorneys, Attorney Bill kick Him and also Bob George. And what we're going to do at ten o'clock is following the Karen Reid broadcast the first hour of that on ABC. We will break that down, see if there's any new information. Will it have an impact on the upcoming trial? Here's what I wonder. So Karen Reid has an interview with ABC. She's still facing a charge of second degree murder. They couldn't make that go away. Now I'm not a legal expert, but I was surprised at that. I thought the second degree murder charge, from what I've read and what I've seen, that was a stretch. I really thought that was a stretch. Manslaughter from what I understand, it can be an accident. She didn't mean to hit him. There's still a lot of question marks with this whole thing. There really are. It's not I just it's not open and shut. There'll be some discussion about bruises that could those bruises have happened by getting hit by a car, and so forth. Was the victim wearing a coat, not wearing a coat if he's outside, wouldn't even been wearing a coat. I mean, those are all things that will be discussed, and we'll talk about it with a couple of the fraternities. As I just mentioned, you can a television show sway an outcome. Of course it can. Of course it can mean they're going to pick a jury coming up for the next trial after an everybody is going to see this. Everybody is going to see this Karen Reid thing here in Boston. There's no way anybody can get on the jury and say, yeah, no, I didn't see it. Not a chance, not a chance. And even if they're not supposed to look at it. If you're going to be on the jury, aren't you going to be curious if somebody says, oh, you've been selected to the jury. Didn't you see her interview back? And blah blah, blah black in September. Come on, but the second degree murderer, I don't see that sticking. And I'm really surprised that they kept that, really surprised. The trial just will not go away in the Karen Reid case. So that's coming up tomorrow night at ten o'clock right here on WBZ six one seven, two thirty. The telephone number here Gary Tangling in for Danna Way Uh. And this is night Side that we talked about tonight, which, when I mean school shooting is just brutal right, I mean it even pains me to even talk about it. But the father of Colt Gray, who's going away forever for murdering four people to teach us two students in Georgia in the school shooting. This week, the father, Colin Gray, has been charged. He's been charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter in two counts of second degree murder for allowing his son to possess a weapon. He faces ten to thirty years in prison. We've seen this before in Michigan with the parents of that school shooter went away for ten years, and they were idiots. They were morons, absolute morons. They had been brought into school. They had seen the warning signs with their kid and they just ignored it. But this is, you know, when it comes to trying to do something about these school shootings, this is where we're at, throwing the parents in jail two. It's desperate times six, one, seven, two, five, fourteen thirty the telephone them. Let's grab some calls here before we say goodbye, Mary, Lou and Lowell. You're up on WBC's Night Side.
Speaker 5: Hi Gary, Yes, how are you? I'm good? How are you good? Thanks for doing the show.
Speaker 3: Thanks, I like you, Thank you.
Speaker 5: I like what you do it. Okay, Kevin me tomorrow night. You're going to beyond? Are you having two lawyers? Is that what I understood?
Speaker 3: What we're going to do is yes. ABC is putting on an interview with Karen Reid beginning at nine o'clock.
Speaker 5: So I was told it was at ten, and you said you were doing it at ten. That's why I'm calling you.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I was It's my understanding on ABC. It's it's actually two hours. It's from nine to eleven. Okay, eleven o'clock it's too late for us. After the first hour, we're going to have our ourt Turning Friends are going to be on and we're going to from what we've seen in the first hour, we are going to break it down. Okay, so Bob, George and Bill kick Him will join us, and lack of a better term, it's sort of a postgame show of what we've seen with her. Now, if we wait till eleven o'clock, that's a little too late, but it's going to be two hours. So we're going to take a look at the first hour. Then we're going to talk about it, and of course you can listen to it on the podcast on the iHeart Radio app as well.
Speaker 5: You know, so I can't do that. I don't have that stuff. I'm from the old school.
Speaker 3: But you can figure it out, don't you.
Speaker 5: No, I can't.
Speaker 3: It's not hard.
Speaker 5: Oh don't even you don't know me. I can't. I don't. I know I can't do it. I know I can't. I can't even work my phone.
Speaker 3: Do you think I want?
Speaker 5: I'm on a landline right now.
Speaker 3: God bless you. At least you're not going to be dropping out. You're not going to be drunk.
Speaker 5: And I don't have TV either, So I am going to a friend's house to watch it tomorrow night, but I didn't want to miss what you're doing with the lawyers or the attorneys.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: What I would recommend is that you know because there is a second hour involved, and again we didn't want to wait till eleven o'clock. Is if you watch it at nine, just turn us on at ten, and kind of I will do that.
Speaker 5: I didn't. I was told the show was on at ten to eleven, not your show, the twenty twenty show, right, And I was told it was on at ten, and you said you're going to do yours at ten, So I said, I can't watch and listen to both of them.
Speaker 3: At the same Well, it's nine to eleven, I think on twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: I hope you're right. I hope you right.
Speaker 3: Well, I am right. I mean, that's that's what that's what I've read.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's okay. Well, I heard on the radio. I'm from Lowell, and I listened to a little station in the morning before I go to work, and they said the show was on at ten o'clock tomorrow night. That's what I'm telling you. I heard. So they might have screwed up the time. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate the phone call there.
Speaker 5: Well, I appreciate you being there in place of Dan. Dan Dan the man. Okay, my friend.
Speaker 3: Dan is the man.
Speaker 8: Let me tell you right now, I don't know you.
Speaker 5: Can hold a candle and the two of you, I like both of you.
Speaker 3: Well, we tried, but boy, when it comes to the legal stuff in the in the polityes.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, dance the man.
Speaker 5: Well, you're doing a hell of a job. Keep it up. Okay, thank you, Gary, We'll see you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate the phone call right here on WBC's night side six seven thirty. The telephone number if you want to get on board. We have another ten to fifteen minutes to go here. So anyways, as I was saying, the father of Colt Grey, Colin Gray, is now, I mean, this guy's going to go to jail probably for ten to thirty years because his kid had a gun. And he is quoted as saying in the past that his son was a responsible gun owner. It seems to me right now that if you are a household with firearms, and I'm so I know how you feel. You're saying, tangle, you get off your high horse. I have family members that are hunters from Maine. Almost everybody I grew up with hunted gun cabinets. Put the bullets in one part of the house, put the guns in the other part of the house, the whole bit. So I've been around it, and I understand that there are a majority of responsible gun owners. But the way it's going right now, you cannot leave a firearm or a weapon with anybody under the age of eighteen in the house. You just can't. You got to lock it up. You've got to lock it up, especially if the kid is having trouble, and there were some signs that he was having trouble. The parents were getting divorced, he was struggling with that probably, and we have seen this in the past. This certainly happened with the shooting in Connecticut, where the parent and the child bond over the weapon. They buy him the weapon, they take him to the shooting range, they go hunting with them. It's something they do together, so they don't feel they need to take the weapon away. But that's what happened in Newtown, Connecticut, when the mother bought the weapon for the for her son and he ended up taking her life with it. That's where we're at folks, you get kids and you get guns, you gotta lock them up. You gotta lock them up. Final segment here on Nightside, coming up on WBZ right after this.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan Ray Mine from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: Describe some couple of calls here as we finished strong on WBC's Nightside six one, seven, two thirty. Let's go to Jack in bed for Jack. You're up on WDBZ. What's going on? How you doing? Jack?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 1: I agree with you, and you know in this day and age that we're in right now, with with with all this chaos and the whatever whateveryone's mind is in right now. Yeah, you're right under I'll say, even under seventeen, you got you gotta keep the pieces locked up. Even if we're talking the you know, rifles, baby guns, whatever, Okay, they're gotta be under lock and key, okay, and total supervision if they if they come out or whatever. Now, I'm gonna give everyone one a little reality check here, okay. And I'm gonna get just maybe a little off topic. If you got the money and you know the right people, meaning and well underworld, I'm assuming in this case Okay, you can get whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Oh you mean talking about buying weapons, of course? Yeah, yeah, I understand that. Yeah, of course you can. Yeah, I got it. You know when you talk.
Speaker 1: About you had a million dollars, like, sorry, go ahead, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're talking about gun control, people can make the argument that if somebody wants to get a weapon, they're going to get a weapon. You know, then then the argument would that is, well, you have to make it more difficult to buy an AR fifteen, and you go back and forth on it. I think if that's the point you're making, I am yeah, I understand exactly.
Speaker 9: You can't.
Speaker 1: It's a no, there's no uh. What's the expression I'm looking for. There's no uh, you know it's a it's a.
Speaker 3: Well, I think there is. And thank you for the phone call. I appreciate it. Check coming from the state of Maine. There is a right of passage where a parent and a young person. It can be a father and a daughter, a mother and a sonomy whatever. Where you go hunting and you know, you get your first rifle, you get your first twenty two, and you go hunting with your dad. You are hunting with your uncles, you go on hunting trips sixteen or seventeen. I get it. I've seen it. It wasn't for me. My dad didn't hunt. I did not, un A lot of my friends did. And I witness it. And it's a tradition and it's a right of passions. And a kid gets his first deer, it's a big deal. They take the deer, they cut up the meat, they freeze it, they eat it, they make vedicine. It's all good, it's all good. But now we're at a point in time in this country where we're in a mental health crisis and you cannot leave weapons exposed with young people. You just can't. Now when I talk about families and who are gun owners, and the kids are fine, they're probably obviously the majority are. But if you're the adult in the room, the cabinet has to be locked so people like cold Gray can't get them if they are mentally ill. That's the way it has to be. All right, Let's go to Tina and Marlborough. Tina, you're up on WBZ.
Speaker 9: Hey, Gary, I am calling to say I totally agree with you. So I'm calling as a person who has been a teacher of young kids. I love young kids. I am also calling as a woman who does not have children because I made a choice not to have children, because being a parent is a huge responsibility. Yes, and I'm tired of parents not taking responsibility for their kids because you're a parent from the day you conceive until the day you die, right, and parents are responsible for their kids. And I'm going to say up until twenty one, parents should be responsible for their kids in this in a gun situation, I mean, kids can't drink until they're twenty one. They're not responsible enough to drink. They sure as hell shouldn't be responsible enough to have access to a gun.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, if the kid is living at home, if they're young. You know, obviously I hear you. I understand what you're saying. I think it might be tough to do because you have the right to vote at eighteen. But we're on the same page, totally on the same We're totally on the same page. And the public shootings are so out of control in this country. Is we have to go to extreme measures to stop them because the government's certainly not going to help us out with any sort of gun control.
Speaker 9: Yeah, which there should be, and at the end of the day, I'm sorry. Like you know, having been in the school systems as well, everybody parents want to point their fingers that everybody else though what their kids are doing. And I'm sorry, but you had the kids because you wanted to have kids. You take responsibility for them.
Speaker 3: Well, I agree, Tina, You're right on that because I've seen that where you know, when I came home from school and if there was a note from the teacher as I go, old bastard on you, or if there was a you know it, it wasn't the teacher's fault. It wasn't even disputable. It was on me, and you had to deal with it. And now, and this is my feeling teen is because parents are so insecure. We feel that if our child is struggling academically or socially in school and mist behaving, it's a reflection on us. So if my kid is messing up, that makes me look like a bad parent, So it can't be me, It must be.
Speaker 7: The teacher, right, yeah, well yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's what I think parents think. And it's it's no, that's not it your parents. Your kid is not you. You know, if my kid screws up you got to support the teacher. I'm with you one hundred percent absolutely, and it's not and it's not happening.
Speaker 9: Yeah. So two things I have to say. All my friends have kids, I'm like, especially when they're teenagers, if your kids hate you, you just look at them and say, thank you, I'm doing my job.
Speaker 3: Well, that's true too, and I'm terrible than that's what.
Speaker 9: Your kids are supposed to do in their teenagers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the line, I am too. I've been as I can tell you as a parent, I've always been too worried about being liked by my kids. You're absolutely right, but I would not allow them to have a gun. That's where I draw the line. Tina.
Speaker 9: One other thing said you can go onto somebody else. But so I asked this question many years ago when people have said there haven't been studies in this. But I don't think a lot of our gun violence is going to all of our video games like Call of Duty, where you sit back, you relax, you turn on your call of duty and the answer to everything is to go shoot up everybody around you. And I can't believe that there is no correlation between that and the gun violence we're seeing. I can't believe it.
Speaker 3: Why I agree with you, and if and if and if any and if anybody says differently, you're a fool.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 3: Of course there is. Of course there is a correlation. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 9: Of course there is the parents letting them just play that game.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean I've done it. My kid plays it, my son played it, you know. Yeah, you're right, of course, yeah, of course there is.
Speaker 9: And yeah, and I just think that again, that's parenting, and it's just it's a shame. It is a shame, and it's a shame that that's how it's brought up, that's that it's in our culture. I agree that that's in a way to relax. So those are my two cents. And I do have to say when you're filling in, I have listened to a couple of times, and I enjoy listening to you. You had a teacher on a couple of weeks ago. I listened to. It was just a great conversation. I learned a lot. It's just nice having you on board, Tina.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. I appreciate the call.
Speaker 9: Thanks appreciate you too.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll see you later. Eric and Adelbor you get thirty seconds.
Speaker 10: Sorry, I'm okay, thirty seconds is all I need. Basically, I'd like to point out that I would say, at least in the fifties and sixties, perhaps not so much in the coastal liberal.
Speaker 7: States like Massachusetts or California, but in Flyover country in terms of athletic activity, rifling and rifles classes was part of a daily public education which actually took the stigma.
Speaker 8: Out of the you know, the whatever kind.
Speaker 6: Of evil pizasmic goes a long with a gun. And there was very very few, if any at all, regular school shootings with teenagers back then.
Speaker 10: So basically the.
Speaker 8: Problem we have now is that we've taken things like that away from the children and give them much, in my opinion, much more degenerate, radical, disgusting things to take the place of self defense.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean, I just have to cut you off, but I appreciate the call. Please call earlier next time. I thank you for your input on this, Rob Brooks, thank you, great job, Marita LaRosa, thank you very much. We'll be back tomorrow night eight o'clock right here in WBC's Night Side