Speaker 1: Hey everyone, and welcome back. Ready to dive into something pretty huge in the tech world.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we're talking all about network programmability today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to really get into it, we're going deep on this awesome book Programming and Automating Cisco Networks. This stuff is changing how networks are built, like from the ground up.
Speaker 2: It's a total game changer, not just a tech buzzword. This is like a fundamental shift, you know, how we think about network, designing them, managing them, the whole nine yards exactly.
Speaker 1: And no matter where you're at, whether you're a coding guru or well, let's just say you've been typing commands since before I was born.
Speaker 2: Hopefully not that long ago.
Speaker 1: Hum, but you get the idea. This deep dive is for you. We're giving you the tools the knowledge to navigate this whole network programmability thing.
Speaker 2: And what's really cool is that it is accessible whether you're just starting out or you've been in the field for years.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's get into it. Why is now the time for this change? What's the big push behind all this network programmability stuff.
Speaker 2: It's a perfect storm. Really. You've got cloud computing blowing up data everywhere and businesses. They need to move faster than ever. The old way like manually configuring every little thing, yeah, just doesn't cut it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The book makes that super clear with that story about the company, right, the one that missed out on a huge EE opportunity because their network just couldn't adapt fast enough.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's a wake up call in today's world. Your network, it can either hold you back or launch you forward. Network programmability, it's about making sure it's the second.
Speaker 1: One makes sense. So how does it actually do that make networks faster, more adaptable? What's the secret? Sauce?
Speaker 2: Software. We're using software to automate all those tedious tasks, to organize resources, even create systems that can fix themselves. Remember all those times you spent troubleshooting until two am?
Speaker 1: Don't remind me, right?
Speaker 2: Network programmability can automate a lot of that, free you up for more, shall we say, strategic thinking?
Speaker 1: Okay, now you're talking my language. Less time fighting with command line, more time for you know, actual thinking. So automation versus programmability. The book kind of touches on this, but I think it would help to dig a little deeper.
Speaker 2: Totally think of it like this automation is like those microwaves, you know, the popcorn button. Preset instructions works for specific things, but not very flexible programmability. That's like having a full on chef's kitchen. Yeah right, you call the shots, customize everything.
Speaker 1: So basic microwave versus like five star restaurant level control exactly.
Speaker 2: With programmability, you're not stuck with preset options. You've got the power to fine tune everything.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. So how does coding actually fit into all of this? I'll admit it can seem kind of intimidating, especially in networking.
Speaker 2: I get it, but it's not as scary as it sounds. A lot of the ideas are similar to what you already do as a network engineer. Think about changing an NTP server. Do it once, no big deal, but now imagine doing that across say hundreds of devices.
Speaker 1: Ugh. I think my fingers are starting to cramp up just thinking about all that typing exactly.
Speaker 2: That's where coding comes in. Write a script, automate that whole process faster, fewer errors.
Speaker 1: And the book really seems to like Python for this right programming and automating Cisco networks. They're big fans for.
Speaker 2: A good reason. Python is super versatile, relatively easy to learn, and it's used everywhere in network programmability. What's really cool is it's even used in stuff like open stack for managing those cloud environments. So the skills you learn they translate.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Python it is. And this isn't just some like niche skill, right. It sounds like this is valuable across it absolutely so for our listeners who are like ready to jump into the coding pool. What are some tools that can make it less you know, intimidating? Oh?
Speaker 2: For sure. The book highlights a few. One that stands out is pipe charm. It's like having a coding buddy helps you write your code, test it, fix any bugs, autocomplete, syntax highlighting. Think of it like spell check but for code.
Speaker 1: Okay, so less chance of messing everything up. I can get behind that. What about get and get hub? The book mentions though too.
Speaker 2: Those are essential, especially if you're working with a team. Imagine working on a script, you make some changes, then bam, you realize you need to go back to an earlier version.
Speaker 1: Oh I've been there. Stringtel plus z is my best friend.
Speaker 2: Right, But with get you can track every single change you've made, go back to any previous version, life saver and GitHub. That's where we saw your code, work with other people on projects, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So it's like a time machine and a collaboration hub all in one.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we've got the why behind network programmability. We've talked about automation versus programmability. We've even dipped our toes into the coding world with Python, pie Charm, the whole shebang. What I'm really curious about is Cisco. They're, you know, the hardware giant. How are they embracing this whole software driven thing? What are they doing to keep up?
Speaker 2: That's the question, right And the book dives into this with the Nexus nine thousand series, prime example of Cisco bridging that gap between hardware and software.
Speaker 1: Okay, so spill the tea on the Nexus nine thousand. What makes them so special for network programmability.
Speaker 2: It's all in the architecture really. See, in the past, network devices were like those black boxes, right, tough to work with, hard to automate. The next is nine thousand. It changes all that. It runs on Linux.
Speaker 1: Wait, hold up, Linux on a network switch that's like, I don't know, teaching my dog to do my taxes or something. It just sounds wrong, huh.
Speaker 2: I know, right. It seems weird at first, but it's huge because now you can use all those familiar Linux tools languages like Python to work directly with the switch. No more clunky workarounds.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about really merging networking and software development, like they're actually on speaking terms now exactly.
Speaker 2: And it gets even cooler. The Nexus nine thousand supports containers too, call it guest shell.
Speaker 1: Guest shell sounds kind of friendly for something so technical.
Speaker 2: Right, but it's powerful stuff. Imagine running apps directly on the switch itself, no need for a separate server. It's all right there.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's got to be a game changer for performance. But what kind of apps are we talking about here?
Speaker 2: I think network monitoring, security analysis, even custom stuff you name it. Running these directly on the switch, it means things happen faster, smoother, more efficiently.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a mini data center built right into the switch itself.
Speaker 2: You've got it and the cherry on top. Cisco's got this thing called the devnet sandbox. It's a virtual environment where you can actually test all this out.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, so our listeners they can actually get hands on without the risk of blowing up their entire companies network.
Speaker 2: Exactly, safe space to experiment, learn the ropes, really get a feel for what network programmability can do.
Speaker 1: Love it. But we've been talking a lot about like data centers, these high end switches. What about everyone else? Does this apply to, say, campus networks ones?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? In fact, you could argue that it's even more impactful in those environments. Yeah, campus networks they can be massive, right, hundreds even thousands of devices. That's where Cisco's apic EM comes in.
Speaker 1: Apic EM as in Application Policy, Infrastructure, Controller and Prize Module.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a mouthful.
Speaker 2: I hear you. But the name's a mouthful, The functionality's even better, trust me. Remember that example in the book about configuring QoS quality of service on a really large network, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The one where doing it manually would take like a whole team of engineers a week.
Speaker 2: Exactly, with a bic EM, you can automate that entire thing, set your QoS policies across the whole network just a few clicks, Boom done.
Speaker 1: I bet that saves a ton of headaches too. So how does it work? What's the magic behind epic em.
Speaker 2: It's all about centralized control. Epic EM. It's like the brain of your network. It sees everything, all your device is, all your settings all in one place.
Speaker 1: So no more logging into each device one by one like it's the Stone Age or something exactly.
Speaker 2: And get this. Apic em is built on open APIs just like the NEXTUS nine thousand. It plays well with others, third party tools, systems, you name it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're talking about a flexible system here, not just locked into Cisco Land. But what about the wham. We've covered data centers, campus networks, but the land seems like could be even trickier with the old school ways.
Speaker 2: You're not wrong. Wands can be a real pain, especially now with cloud apps everywhere. Everyone needs their connection to be rock solid. That's where Cisco's intelligent one comes in.
Speaker 1: I won for sure, I wan another acronym. Is starting to think these Cisco folks just love them. But what makes it so intelligent? Fill me in?
Speaker 2: Okay, imagine this. You're driving right and you've got different routes to your destination. Do you always take the exact same one.
Speaker 1: Not if I can help it. Traffic accidents got to mix it up sometimes exactly.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you want the fastest routes, sometimes the most scenic. Sometimes you just want to avoid the tolls. Right, depends on your priorities.
Speaker 1: Okay, so is I like the GPS for your network traffic or what.
Speaker 2: You got it? It's always checking out all the available WAN links in PLS, Internet, you name it, and it routes traffic based on what's needed. Maybe an app needs top speed, maybe you need to keep cast down. I one figures it out.
Speaker 1: So let me get this straight. I WAN can prioritize traffic for say, like a big video conference, make sure that goes smoothly, even if someone's downloading a massive file at the same time.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it's about making the most of what you got, making sure everyone have the best possible experience, even when things get crazy.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's pretty slick. So we've got apic M automating the campus, i WAN acting like a traffic cop for the one. What I'm seeing is this isn't just about making our lives easier as network engineers. It's about letting businesses actually do more be more responsive in this whole digital.
Speaker 2: World one hundred percent. And it's bigger than just Cisco too. There's this whole world of open source tools, technologies, all built on these same principles.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's right. We've been Cisco heavy so far, but we can't ignore the open source world for sure.
Speaker 2: And this is where things get really interesting. Open standards, open source tools. They're making network programmability accessible to everyone, not just the big players.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me, and if you're not a Cisco shop, you can still get in on this.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. We've talked a lot about what Cisco's doing, which is huge, but network programmability it's bigger than any one company. It's a movement.
Speaker 1: I love it. So let's talk open source. Then. What are some of the big names the tools our listeners should know about.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're ditching the big brand names from a minute, heading into the open source world. What's out there? Give us the highlights.
Speaker 1: One name you'll hear everywhere is Yang And no it's not some hip new band.
Speaker 2: Oh that would be pretty cool, right.
Speaker 1: But Yang it stands for yet another next generation and it's all about creating one language for network devices to speak.
Speaker 2: Yet another next generation. Someone was having fun with that one. Yeah, but okay, why is a common language so important. We're talking about networks here, not the un Think about it.
Speaker 1: You've got all these different companies, right, Cisco, Juniper, whoever. Each one's got their own way of doing things, configuring devices, managing them. It's like a tower of Babbel Yang. It's like the universal translator.
Speaker 2: So I could use the same tools, same scripts to manage like a Cisco switch and a Juniper Rider. No problem, you got it.
Speaker 1: It's about breaking down those walls, making it easier to manage a network that's got a little bit of everything. Okay, that makes sense. Let's headache for everyone. But Yang's just part of the picture, right Right.
Speaker 2: You've also got net conf, which is how we actually talk to those devices using the Yang model.
Speaker 1: So Yang's like the blueprint net con and f's the construction crew making it happen.
Speaker 2: Perfect analogy, nailed it.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about actual tools? Anything open source that uses this stuff?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, tons. One example is CONFD, developed by this company tailhaf Systems before Cisco scooped them up.
Speaker 1: Wait, Cisco bought a company making open source stuff interesting?
Speaker 2: It is shows you how important this whole movement is becoming. Even the big guys are paying attention for sure.
Speaker 1: So back to CONFD. What is it? What's the deal?
Speaker 2: It's a platform let you build your own network management apps, custom made for what you need. Provides all the p you just put them together like.
Speaker 1: A Lego set for a network engineers.
Speaker 2: Basically, you get to be creative.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: You mentioned another one earlier, Open Daylight. What's that all about?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a big one. Open Daylight. It's a whole operating system for your network, open source, totally modular.
Speaker 1: So if con off D's like the Lego set, open Daylight is more like, I don't know, building a whole house.
Speaker 2: From scratch exactly. It's a huge community effort, lots of people working on it, adding new features, making it better all the time.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, real community spirit right there.
Speaker 2: Okay, last one I got asked about ansable. It's everywhere in the automation world. Does it have a place in network programmability?
Speaker 1: To one hundred percent? Ansable is amazing for automating all sorts of it stuff, including networks, and it's.
Speaker 2: Known for being pretty user friendly. Right even if you're not a coding list totally.
Speaker 1: You write your automation tasks in this really simple language, easy to read, easy to understand.
Speaker 2: That's great for people just starting out, definitely less intimidating. So just to recap, we've got conf d for CUSS, some tools Open Daylight for building network operating systems from the ground up, and answable for like everyday automation task is made.
Speaker 1: Easy exactly, And I think that's a really important point. Network programmability. It's not a one size fits all thing. You've got choices. The key is figuring out what works best for you for your network. Couldn't agree more. It's easy to get overwhelmed by all the options, but like you said, it's about finding the right tool for the job it is.
Speaker 2: Think of it like I don't know, learning a new language. You don't need to know every word, every grammar rule. Yeah, you just got to start talk and start using it.
Speaker 1: I love that analogy, And on that note, I think it's time to wrap up this deep dive. We've covered a ton the why, the how, the tools, the whole nine yards. But before we go, any final thoughts for our listeners, just this.
Speaker 2: Network programmability it's not going away. This isn't just a trend. It's the future, plain and simple.
Speaker 1: So whether you're all in on the code or just dipping your toes in, now's the time to get on board.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the network's changing and we get to be right there shaping it, making it better.
Speaker 1: How cool is that could have said it better myself. That's a wrap on this deep dive into network programmability. We've got more exciting stuff coming up, so stay tuned until then, Happy networking everyone,