Speaker 1: On December fourteenth, in the year two thousand, a quiet evening in Wichita, Kansas, erupted into an unimaginable nightmare when five young friends were targeted in a brutal home invasion that would ultimately leave four of them dead. This horrific crime was just one part of a multi day terror spree orchestrated by two brothers, affecting multiple victims and shaking the entire community to its core. This is the terrifying and horrific story known as the Wichita Horror.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following podcast material intended for a mature audience.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion easy. I haven't messed up our intro for a while. I'm doing good.
Speaker 1: You are doing really good. It's finally ingrained in our system.
Speaker 2: I think someone did say it was kind of funny. I think this was on Spotify comment or something where it's all like creepy music and then all of a sudden, there's me. Hey, it's Nicole. You know it doesn't totally match the vibe.
Speaker 1: I guess the little little light in the darkness, if you will, there you go. Before we get into anything at all, I want to say, in case you missed it in the title, this is part one of a two part series.
Speaker 2: Look at you being nice.
Speaker 1: Good for you just keeping people in the in the know. You know, good job, because we used to back in the day not let people know until the end, and it was like, ah, it's two parter and uh yeah, we gotten shit. So I'm letting you know.
Speaker 2: We always get in shit, we do, we do.
Speaker 1: So yeah, with that, I also want to warn you there is some heavy assault in this case, sexual assault in this case, so before warned with that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, we're gonna be dealing with some real monsters.
Speaker 1: Ah these Yes, let's put it that way. There is some real monsters in this story today. I mean not that we don't ever cover real monsters, but I mean these people definitely take it up a notch, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Next level monsters.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So with that, should we just get right into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm ready. I got my drink. I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: I got my drink too. And before I say anything, Happy Friday. Now let's get into it. So the night of December fourteenth, two thousand, it was brisk in which Talk Kansas, with a light dusting of snow covering the ground. Twenty five year old Holly, a school teacher, was navigating her way to the quiet, decorated streets with her beloved snauzer Nikki riding Shatka next to her. Her destination was an address on East Birchwood Drive, where she planned to spend the evening with her boyfriend, Jason Bayfort now Jason twenty six, was a charming high school teacher and a basketball coach. He wasn't back from his job just yet. He was coaching a little bit later that evening, but Holly knew he wasn't going to be home. She had a key of her own, so she let herself into the condo that he shared with roommates. Inside, she was greeted by Jason's too inviting roommates, Aaron Sanders, who was twenty nine, who was pursuing becoming a priest, and Brad Haka, who is twenty seven a financial analysis. Soon after, Heather Mueller, a twenty five year old preschool teacher, arrived as well. Heather and Aaron had previously dated, actually, but due to their Catholic faith and Aaron's intention to become a priest and Heather's also intention to eventually become a nun. They respectfully ended their romantic relationship, remaining close friends, which I love that they're just like, you know what, this isn't for us. We got aspirations and plans. Yeah, but we're still cool. We're still tight, we're still good friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That sounds like it could have gone really any other better way.
Speaker 1: Right now. While waiting for Jason to finish his coaching duties at Augusta High School, Holly set in it settled into a room to great papers. When Jason finally arrived, the group gathered for a comfortable evening. They had some dinner together, They chatted conversations, and sat back to watch some TV. As the night drew to a close, Jason, always careful, made sure that the doors were locked before everyone went to bed for the night. Heather took Jason's room, Aaron made himself comfortable in the living room couch. Holly, Jason, and their dog Nikki snuggled into his bedroom. Just as they were getting settled in the porch, light outside unexpectedly flicked on. Jason mumbled about having to get up and turn it off, and then muffled voices began to grow a little bit louder from the living room, and they began growing louder and louder, turning into what suddenly sounded like shouts, and without warning, the bedroom door suddenly burst open. Holly and Jason were just scared all of a sudden, what's going on? Their shot quickly morphed into sheer terror because standing in the doorway was a tall man pointing a gun directly at them. He stormed into the room, tearing off the blankets from the bed. Close behind him was a second, little, shorter, less muscular man who entered, dragging airin in at gunpoint and forcing him into the bed. Nicky, sensing the immediate threat, the dog began to growl and bark, showing in bearing her teeth at these two individuals who just burst into the room right One of the armed men then pointed a gun at the dog and coldly stated, grab your dog or will shoot her, and terrified Holly complied, m.
Speaker 2: Hmm, well, yeah, Rick, I feel like at that moment my rage would just be like next.
Speaker 1: Level, Hey, but there's nothing you can do is you're helpless?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, Yeah, well, and still you're like probably still waking the hell up too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: These two intruders then demanded to know if anyone else was in the apartment. To frighten to resist, the trio revealed Brad and Heather's presence. One of the men left the room, leaving the other to keep Holly, Jason, Aaron, and the dog Nikki at gunpoint. Moments later, the first man returned, bringing Brad clad only in his boxers and Heather still fully dressed. With weapons aimed at all five friends. The two gunmen command them all to take all of their clothes off.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Like, I already have so many questions here, but I'm just gonna keep.
Speaker 1: Listening, keep listening, Okay, Well, I mean, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you're going to cover them. But I'm just how the hell did these people get in because they were good about locking up. I mean, if there's a will, there's a way, blah blah blah. And then like we were they targeted, you know, well, it seems already horrid.
Speaker 1: I don't really talk too much about how they gain access. I can't remember if I wrote it into part two. I hinsed it, I guess, and what I just talked about. So the light on the front porch came on, and from the bedroom they heard Jason out there, you know, who's on the couch, the couch, Yeah, mumbling about like always got to get up and turn the light off. He got up and he opened the door and let these guys in accidentally.
Speaker 2: Oh shit. But like still they probably would have been able to get in if they wanted to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean maybe possibly, It's hard to say, but one way or another, Yeah, they gained access because he got up to yet get the light turned off.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: And it's I'm unclear. It's it's unclear if like maybe he saw them and opened up to see what they wanted, or if he didn't see them and just opened for the light itself. But one way or another, he opened the door and they gained entry that way.
Speaker 2: I hate that. Okay, what was your other question, if these people were targeted, because this just seems, like I said, horrid already.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, for the most part, it wasn't really targeted.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not not to say it's fortunate if they were, it's just no, it was more of a random it happened to be them.
Speaker 2: Well, because yeah, as you were going through the intros, and like these people seem like legit, like good people on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well one of them studying to be a priest and the other has aspirations to be a nun and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like it doesn't seem like they wouldness. Well, I mean sometimes religious people I guess are targeted, right, But well.
Speaker 1: Anyone can really become a target for any reason. Yeah, it's hard to really get into that mindset of why.
Speaker 2: But I digress. I'm already sitting on the edge of my seat, right, I don't know if I want to go forward.
Speaker 1: Well, the intruders, obviously, they demand them to remove all their clothes. That's where I left off, and they now had no choice but to comply with guns pointed in their face. So all five of them stripped naked and were now shivering from fear and cold. Like it's cold, right, I mean they are inside. But yeah, the five captives had no choice but to simply comply and do what they were told. They stood and stunned silence as the shorter attacker then left the room and began ransacking the house. Searching for valuables, unfortunately finding a little of value. The taller gunmen became growingly frustrated visibly, and he brandished his weapon at them, demanding to know where they kept their money and any safe that they might have would be in the house now Unfortunately there was no safe to be found. Pleading with their lives, the group offered anything they had, anything of value that they could think of, even listing the amounts that they had in their bank accounts, and like you can take our bank cards and like go withdrawal or money whatever, like just leave us a loane, like take whatever you need, like we'll give it to you. But the intruders their desires extended far beyond just money. The gunmen then forced Holly and Heather out of the bedroom and into a small bar area nearby. Held at gunpoint, the two women were then subjected to perform oral, sexual acts and many other things on each other. Ah After this horrifying ordeal, Heather was then brought back into the bedroom and Brad was dragged out to take her place, with guns pointed at him. Brad was then commanded to have sex with Holly. However, paralyzed by terror and repulsion over what was going on in this unfolding nightmare, Brad was unable to become aroused or obey their commands fair enough, the gunman, growing increasingly angry, yanked him away and replaced him with Jason, and it was a similar situation his body refused to comply with the demands and then recognizing Jason as Holly's boyfriend, one of the gunmen then muttered, that's his girl, before stating he wasn't allowed to do anything with his own girlfriend anyways, So with that in mind, they shoved Jason back in the bedroom and pulled Aarin out into the bar area. However, same sort of thing. Aaron was defiant. He refused to assault Holly and he was just pleading them to stop. In a brutal response, one of the gunmen struck him forcefully on the back of the head with his weapon, knocking him to the floor. Terrified, but knowing they had no alternative if they wished to survive, Aaron and Hawley both desperately try to do what their tormentors demanded of them.
Speaker 2: This is this is horrible, Like what what kind of game are they playing? Like? This is this is disgusting.
Speaker 1: It is. It's an absolute nightmare. And in a situation like this, you're nothing but helpless. I mean, first of all, they stripped you naked, so you are completely vulnerable in that sense of like feeling you have no no clothing, no protection. Like, what's your first instinct when you're a kid and you're trying to hide for monsters, You pull a blanket or something over your face to hide. Yeah, you have nothing to hide in now. And then you're being subject to this, not even like on your own self, but you're forced to do something to someone else, someone a friend, A friend, yeah, friend's significant other, someone you respect and you know, and it's wild. And these guys are just like, do this do this for reasons that I can't even comprehend.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, just to think that a human brain can be that evil to do that to someone.
Speaker 1: Right, to think that they would come up with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now. Eventually, the gunman returned Hally to the bedroom with Brad and Jason. They then crammed all three, along with Nikki the dog, into the closet, warning them to remain silent or face severe consequences. The intruders then pulled Heather back out, attempting to force Arin to have sex with her instead, and when Aarin couldn't bring himself to obey, they gave a chilling ultimatum. They had exactly two minutes. He in those two minutes needed to become aroused and comply or they would begin to inflict pain upon them, and that's when they began to count down those two minutes. They counted from eleven fifty two to eleven fifty four PM, but nothing changed for Aarin, and as a brutal punishment, one of them grabbed a nearby golf club and began to beat him with the golf club. This agonizing routine continued, with the attackers then forcing Jason and later Brad to sexually assault Heather, beating them when they resisted or were unable to do what they were told. The other friends were trapped inside the closet, shivering, crying, and listening to the horrors as the dog, Nikki whimpered in fear beside them. This was an unimaginable ordeal that persisted for approximately an hour, leaving all five friends feeling utterly broken, traumatized, and trapped living in a nightmare as they hoped would steadily end at any second, but it seemed like Hope just dwindled away instead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I yeah, it's unimaginable what they're going through right now.
Speaker 1: Now. After the prolonged abuse, the attackers then finally announced their next move. They were going to take each captive one by one to an ATM to withdraw money from their bank account. Releasing the victims from the closet, they ordered them to locate their car keys in the house. Now, this brief pause in the torment allowed the friends a precious, subtle opportunity to really observe their captors more closely, because before it was you know, gun's pointed in their face and it was one on one and they couldn't really focus. But now the attention was broken up between the five of them, and in that moment it allowed them to really kind of absorb the situation. They noted that both of the perpetrators, both of these men were black, with features similar enough to suggest that they might actually even be brothers. The taller of the assailant wore a black leather coat and gloves over an orange Fubu sweater, which is a brand, while the shorter man's hair was described by Holly as clumped and poofy. However, the chaos of the ransacked house in it all, none of the victims could immediately find their car keys. I mean, they were searching for valuables, these two, right, They were overturning things and throwing things, doing what they could, and in this mess, they couldn't really find their keys that easily, and the failure quickly exhausted the gunman's patience, leading to a chilling threat. If they didn't find their keys soon, or if the keys didn't appear soon, they would be killed.
Speaker 2: These Okay, I mean, yeah, I don't. I was just gonna say they have no patience, but these are disgusting human beings, so yeah, of course they wouldn't.
Speaker 1: They have no morals, no soul, no dignity, no nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, finally Jason spotted keys to his truck back in his bedroom. The taller gunman, now happy to have the keys, ordered him to dress and left with him in the truck, while the shorter man remained behind with the other four friends. The remaining intruder sent Aaron, Brad and Heather back into the closet. He then made Holly lie down on the floor, lowering his gun as he prepared to assault her. He laid the gun next to him, and as he began, Holly's gaze drifted to the gun lying less than two feet away. In this act and assault, her mind raced with a desperate question. Could she grab it before he reacted? Could she maybe shoot him even if she could grab it? Could she pull that trigger? Could she do what she needed to do even if she did get a hold of it. But overwhelmed by the paralyzing fear of the catastrophic consequences for everyone if her attempt failed, Holly ultimately decided not to reach for the gun. She silently endured the assault for about five minutes before returning to the closet. The intruder then took Heather out with him, leaving the remaining three friends to listen to more agonizing assaults happening outside. Aarin in particular, couldn't stop his own tears as he listened to Heather being assaulted his girlfriend. Eventually, Aaron whispered a terrifying question to Brad, quote, do you think they're going to kill us? And Brad didn't answer. He didn't know how to answer.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you can only imagine after what they're doing like they're going to want to probably try to get rid of this evidence of witnesses, right.
Speaker 1: Very possible. Yeah, And if they're going to this lengths, I mean, who knows how far they'll go, right Yeah. Now, after some time, the taller attacker returned with Jason, you know from the ATM, and he forced him to now undress completely once more, and then made Brad get dressed and accompany him outside to withdraw money in Jason's place. So they took Jason's truck. They have his ATM card, and they're going to go withdraw money from his account. Now, as I mentioned before, it's gonna be a one by one process. Now, after Brad, the man selected Hawlly as the next to go with him, but unlike the men, he only allowed her to put on a sweater, leaving her completely nude from the waist down as they stepped outside into the cold snow. They got into Jason's truck and the gunman commanded her to drive, keeping his weapon fixed on her as she backed out of the driveway onto the icy streets alone with him, and unsettling silence just hung in the air in that trunk as they drove until the gunman finally broke it by asking what his partner had done with her and to the others when he was gone. A Holly in that instant didn't really know what to say, but not wanting to anger the guy any farther, she chose honesty. She explained everything that happened, including how the other gunman had forced her to have sex with him. Far from showing any sort of compassion towards her or her friends, he just kind of laughed it off at what was happening, and he asked her if she enjoyed.
Speaker 2: It, wow, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Fearing his rage, you know, fearing upsetting him or anything. Once again, Holly made the split second decision to do what her gut told her, and though she did not enjoy it, she chose to lie and tell him what he wanted to hear, and playing along, she simply responded yes, hoping to keep him calm and keep things from going too far. He continued his unnerving questions, asking if his partner was better than her boyfriend Jason, oh my gosh, and if she'd ever quote being with a black man before, and if she'd quote enjoyed being intimate with a girl like she would actually enjoy any of this stuff that she's being forced over.
Speaker 2: This this is just like making me just like pissed.
Speaker 1: It's it's sickening, is what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it.
Speaker 1: It makes me feel nauseous.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, after a while of playing along, answering all the questions, trying to make sure she tells him what he wants to hear, Holly's deep seated fear finally overwhelmed her, and she couldn't help but ask the one question that was on her mind. She asked him if they were planning to kill her and her friends. The gunman surprisingly reassured her that once they were finished with everything they needed, getting the money and everything, they would all be left alive. Now at the ATM, Hally lowered her window, rolling it down, her card into the machine, and withdrew as much cash as she could get out. Now. As she was reaching out the window and pressing the buttons for the transaction, that's when she felt something on her leg. It was the gunman's hand and it was sliding on her leg and he began to touch her in ways. That's all I'll say. Shocked, but fighting to remain calm, Holly completed the transaction, handed the money over to him, and just continued to do what she could to keep calm and do what he wanted. As they continued driving to various ATMs, the man's side or remark that he wished they'd met under different circumstances because he believed that they'd probably hit it off pretty good. Yeah, she was disgusted with that, and again still just played along though, like.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, like, shut the fuck up really, Like this guy is just is so gross.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you can't get disgusted enough with him, it seems like he just keeps managing to be able to get there to disgust you even fucking more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, and he's completely diluted. Thinking, Oh man, if we met in different circumstances, are you kidding? Are you kidding? You're a complete monster. No one would ever like you.
Speaker 1: So do you want to tell me how you really feel? If you want to keep.
Speaker 2: Going, go for it. I could keep going, but you're not wrong trying to keep a PG ish all.
Speaker 1: Right, ish, Well, I don't know if this is a PG thirteen show, So I mean, you can honestly probably go farther than that if you want. This is at least righted r if I'm being honest. Yeah, anyways. Upon their return into the house, Aaron was then forced to take Holly's place and leave with the taller attacker. Holly was then stripped again and led back to the closet by the bar with Heather. The shorter gunman picked up a bottle of whiskey, poured himself a drink from the bar, and opened the cupboard, asking Brad, Jason and Holly if they wanted a drink, and the offer was declined on all the chords by all of them the shit. He then handed Holly Nicky's muzzle the dog and watched as she placed on her before slamming the closet door shut once again. As he sipped on his drink, the intruder picked up a popcorn tin that was sitting nearby, and as he picked it up, it made an odd sound on the inside when he shook it. He opened it up to look inside, and what he discovered inside appeared to be an engagement ring. Jason then revealed that he had been planning to propose to Holly on December twenty second. In that horrifying, unimaginable situation, with all this terrifying horror going on. Holly just learned that the man that she loved intended to ask her hand in marriage.
Speaker 2: Oh no, oh.
Speaker 1: Man, showing absolutely no emotion upon finding the engagement ring. What do you think the guy did? He took it and put it in his pocket.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'm like it's worth something, so yeah.
Speaker 1: When Aaron and the taller man returned, Holly was yanked from the closet. Noticing her extreme fear, the shorter man uttered words that sent shivers down her spine. He said, quote, relax, We're not going to shoot you. Yet Holly flinched at that last word in his sentence. Yet in that moment, with that one sentence, she knew for certain that despite the man's reassurance in the truck earlier, they intended to kill them. Yep, the s The shorter gunmen then forced her onto all fours and proceeded to assault her once again. Once finished, he led her into the bedroom, where the taller man was in the process of also assaulting Heather.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this is just like not ending hey, NonStop.
Speaker 1: It's constant. And after the taller man completed his assault, he too assaulted Holly before tossing what appeared to be a condom in the toilet and flushing it away. The two men then brought Holly and Heather back to the bar area. There, the two women watched terrified as their captors whispered planning their next move and what they were going to do. Eventually, the gunmen told both women to put sweaters on once more, They led them barefoot and naked from the waist down into the garage and ordered them both to climb into the trunk of Aaron's Honda Accord. Moments later, Brad, Jason and Aaron were brought down as well, all of them completely naked this time, and instructed to get into the trunk with the two women. However, realizing that all five captors clearly wouldn't fit into the trunk of a car, the attackers quickly changed their plan. The three men were locked into the trunk of the Honda, while the other women were led over to Jason's truck, with the taller man taking the wheel of the truck and the shorter man taking the wheel of the Honda Accord. The two vehicles departed with all five victims inside.
Speaker 2: Oh the act, Okay, they're taking them away. I don't know why, but I didn't expect that.
Speaker 1: Eventually, Holly mustered the courage to ask where they were being taken, and the reply she got was that they're going to be dropped off somewhere far enough away to not cause these guys any sort of issues. Finally, the two vehicles came to a stop in a desolate, snow covered field. The trunk of the car was opened and all three men were dragged out. They were then ordered to kneel in front of the car. Holly and Heather knew with horrifying certainty that they were about to be shot, yet they could do absolutely nothing. Forced from their vehicle and made to neil beside the three men in the snow. Heather knelt beside her boyfriend Aaron, sorry former boyfriend, Aaron, while Holly was taken her place right next to her boyfriend Jason, or maybe I should say fiance. Then Aaron pled for his life, his words broken by terror, saying please, no, sir, please, and one by one, execution style, each one of them were shot in the back of the head. When it got to Holly, the gun was placed behind her head and bang, she was shot. Hally's vision exploded with a burst of gray with white all kind of mixed like stars flashing as she collapsed onto the ground. But incredibly, despite being shot in the back of the fucking head, she remained conscious. She later described it as quote, I felt the bullet hit the back of my head. It went kind of gray with white like stars. I wasn't knocked unconscious. I didn't fall forward in that moment. Someone then kicked her, falling or pushing her forward, and she immediately when she hit the ground, played dead, not moving.
Speaker 2: Holy heck. Okay, well right there, as you were just like describing what she felt, I was like, how are you? I mean, there's been a few things. I'm like, how are you describing what she certain things that she felt. So there's been little like tidbits, yeap.
Speaker 1: If you're not aware. This is described from Holly's perspective. Yeah, now, after a terrifying, painful silence, as she lay there playing dead in the snow, with her friends presumably dead next to her.
Speaker 2: Well, she can only hope that maybe the same happened to them, though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she waited and she heard an engine rumbling, and before Holly could even consider moving, the truck accelerated and drove directly over all five bodies. What She fought with every fiber of her being not to scream as a vehicle moved across her, remaining silent and hum somehow still remaining conscious as she's being run over.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, she's been through so much already.
Speaker 1: And she listened as the sounds of the truck faded away, moving further and further into the distance. Eventually, she dared to move her head enough to confirm that the truck and the two gunmen were gone. Struggling to move and even breathe remember she'd been shot in the back of the head and run over by a pickup.
Speaker 2: Holly and abused for hours.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yes, you're right. Holly tried to call out for Jason, Brad, Aaron, and Heather, but each name gave no response.
Speaker 2: No one answered.
Speaker 1: Holly forced her injured body up from the snow, turned to her friends, and her gaze fell upon the man that she loved and her the other friends laying motionless, face down in blood soaked snow. She was unsure if anyone was still alive, and she collapsed beside Jason, desperately turning him over. Blood was pouring out of Jason, even out of his eyes. She quickly pulled off her sweater, the only clothes she was wearing, and wrapped it around his head, frantically trying to stop the bleeding in a desperate attempt to save his life. However, he wasn't breathing, he wasn't alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was probably already gone.
Speaker 1: Brad was next the next one she turned over, but the horrific state of his body instantly confirmed that he was gone. Heather and Aaron lay in equal devastating conditions, freezing cold, standing naked in the snow, blood seeping from her gunshot wound in her head, and her body aching from what had just occurred being run over, and as you mentioned the assault as well. Holly frantically began and searching for help, and then in the distance, near the highway that was not too far off, she spotted lights that glowed like a house adorned with Christmas decorations. Desperate her unimaginable injuries as she had, and being barefoot and nude, she somehow managed to walk over a mile through the freezing cold. Her journey led her across a field, over barbed wire fences, passed a construction site, around a pond, and through thick brush. As if the trek wasn't difficult enough, every time headlights appeared on the road, she instinctively threw herself down into the snow until they passed, because it could be the attackers returning.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Eventually she reached the house that was glowing with festive Christmas tree at Christmas lights. She rushed to the front door, pounding on it and rained the doorbell relentlessly. Inside, a young couple peered out the window, shocked to see this nude woman covered in blood shivering uncontrollably on their port. They quickly hurried to bring her inside and wrapped her in blankets, but before they could even dial nine on one, Holly stopped them. Convinced she was on the verge of death, she felt an overwhelming need to tell them everything that had just happened in detail before help arrived. She needed to get this all out because if she died now, then no one would know she's the only survivor. So listening to her horrifying account, the couple finally called the police. Still remarkably coherent, Holly took over the phone and managed to explain to the dispatcher precisely where the field was guiding them to find her friends. She was still clinging to the desperate hope that at least Jason might still be alive, and that wrapping the sweater around his head might have been the thing that could have saved him. Detective Rick Craig, a seasoned officer, was among the first emergency personnel to arrive at the field at around three am that morning. As he approached this he initially shivered from the bitter cold and biting wind. However, the sight of the four nude bodies, each with a gunshot to the back of their head, laying in the blood covered snow instantly made him forget the chill that he was feeling, because a whole new chill came over his body instead. He later recalled, quote, I wasn't cold anymore.
Speaker 2: We're basically just numb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, As Holly had tragically confirmed her four friends, Jason Berefoort, Brad Haka, Aaron Sanders, and Heather Mueller were all dead. After speaking briefly with Holly before paramedics rushed her to the hospital, detectives immediately issued an alert for Jason's stolen truck It was later verified that the bullet intended for Holly's brain had been miraculously deflected by a butterfly hair clip that she was wearing.
Speaker 2: Seriously, yeah, that's what ended up happening.
Speaker 1: Yes, holy shit. And the truck that ran her over also miraculously just failed to crush her body enough.
Speaker 2: Holy that is like a miracle, really, hey.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent of a miracle. Now, Tragically, what Holly didn't know as she fought desperately for her life to reach the house was that the two assailants had actually returned to the triplex where they lived like the condo yeah on Birchwood Drive, and continued their pillaging. Worse yet, they had murdered Holly's beloved dog, Niki.
Speaker 2: Of course they did.
Speaker 1: Of course, Nikki was left in a pool of blood on one of the beds.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: That morning, Sedwick County District Attorney Nola Fauston received grim news detectives were investigating a quadruple homicide. Bizarrely, just eight days earlier, another unrelated quadruple homicide had occurred in the area, with the two perpetrators already in custody. Fulston initially thought the dispatcher was simply mistaken, unable to comprehend that two such devastating events could happen in the same county within a single week. The entire city of Wichita was gripped by disbelief and fear as the news of the horrors unfolded on their television screens. That morning, new stations broadcast the license plate number of Jason stolen truck, igniting a wave of terror and urgency throughout the community. The desperate hunt for these cold blooded killers had officially begun, and Jason stolen truck his license plate number provided the first significant break in the case.
Speaker 2: Kate, they had done this already.
Speaker 1: There is eight people dead. Yes, there was a quadruple homicide, and then a few days later another quadruple homicide.
Speaker 2: Wow. I mean I was sitting here already just like completely gutted that they did this. And to think that they had previously already done this, Yeah, Like, I can't even believe that we live in a world with people that fucked up and that disgusting.
Speaker 1: Hm hmm. So the thing is, though, with the first quadruple homicide, they did already have the perpetrators.
Speaker 2: In custody, Okay, so it wasn't them, but still, so that's even worse almost. That means that there's like numerous people doing this kind of shit out there anyway.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we'll talk about it. Don't worry, Okay. Now. Christian Taylor, a local resident, was watching the news when he recognized the description of the truck as one he'd seen parked near his own apartment complex earlier that morning. He immediately contacted police when he put these two together. Officers quickly descended upon the apartment complex, confirming it was indeed jason stolen vehicle. Then another resident approached the officers, informing them he'd helped a man carry a large television into an upstairs apartment. This tip, combined with the presence of the stolen truck, was a major lead. I mean, this guy literally knew exactly which apartment too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, like they've obviously lived there, I guess.
Speaker 1: So police surrounded that apartment and knocked on the door, and moments later, a tall black man appeared on the balcony. He was putting his foot up on the railing as if preparing to jump over instead of answering the door, and in that moment before he jumped. He froze because he spotted officers who surrounded the building positioned below, so he retreated back inside. A Caucasian woman, Stephanie Donnelly, answered the door to police, who swiftly entered and handcuffed the tall man who was appearing to find another exit or another escape, and was clearly trying to escape from the balcony. Now this individual was Reginald Carr, a twenty two year old from Dodge City with a significant criminal history. He perfectly matched Holly's description of the taller gunman. Police now strongly suspected his younger brother, twenty year old Jonathan Carr, to be the shorter assailant that was described. From Stephanie, who was Reginald's girlfriend, officers learned that his brother, Jonathan was driving a late model Plymouth Fury. This crucial piece of new information was quickly spread in news reports by that afternoon. Andrew Schibber Shribber, Shribber, that's how you say his last name. Andrew Shribber, the Wichita State University baseball player who had been robbed earlier days earlier. I should say saw Reginald's face on the news. I mean he sees this guy, and he instantly recognizes him without hesitation. Andrew calls a police and he informs him that Reginald was the one of the two men who had abducted and robbed him. There's a lot going.
Speaker 2: On in this, no kidding, And these guys are so young.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, this was the first concrete link that revealed the car brothers who were responsible for an earlier string of violence proceeding in the Birchwood massacre. Around the same time, healthcare worker Tony Green returned home from work feeling unwell. Inside her house, she noticed her daughter, Tronda's boyfriend sleeping on the couch. They'd only been dating a couple of weeks, and Tony didn't know him well. But as she looked at him, having absorbed the morning's news report, she couldn't shake the unsettling feeling that he matched the description of one of the attackers. H Her instinct was tragically accurate. The man that was right now sleeping on her couch was one of the gunmen, the shorter one, the shorter brother, Jonathan Carr. Holy frigg, trusting your gut, Tony cautiously lifted Jonathan's leather jacket and searched his pockets, finding a small jewelry box and inside was a diamond engagement ring that she had heard was stolen in the news. It was the very ring that Jason planned to give Holly for their engagement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hidden in the popcorn container or something.
Speaker 1: Yep. In that moment, she looked outside and guess what she spotted the Plymouth fury parked on the street, the very one that was being spread in the news. Now certain she had a killer who was sleeping on the couch in her house, Tony tried to remain as quiet as possible as she instructed her daughter to grab her young niece and leave the house immediately. Not fully grasping the extreme urgency of this situation, Tronda slowly tried to put her shoes on. You know, it's snowy outside, it's cold, right, But Tony's like, no, like, get the fuck out now, like quietly, like go, don't need shoes, just run. So the three of them rushed out, their bare feet slipping on the snow as they stumbled across the road to a neighbor's house, and they dialed nine one point one panic. Tony informed the dispatcher that the men were searching. The men that they're searching for. Is it's in her home right now? One of them's there.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: When she glanced back, Jonathan was standing on her porch in jeans and a T shirt, staring directly at her. Her then he bolted. Police units already in the area arrived almost instantly and gave chase, pursuing him for two blocks before they finally caught him and arrested him.
Speaker 2: Okay, good. I was like, I was worried they weren't going to catch this bastard.
Speaker 1: No, they got him. A search of his persons revealed about one thousand dollars in cash and the stolen engagement ring. Less than twelve hours after the horrors at Birchwood Drive, both Reginald and John Carr were in police custody. The city of Wichita exhaled, knowing that they were finally caught. And that's where we're going to stop the episode for part one.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course it is I have like so many questions and shit, but okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a lot to cover. Don't worry, y' there is, yeah, questions answered.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's also like, fuck these guys, I don't want to hear about them again. But okay, yeah, I also like I kind of hope that Holly, I don't know, in a way like gets that engagement ring still, you know. But also it wouldn't mean it much not coming from like her boyfriend, so.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it came from him still, he got.
Speaker 2: It for I know. But gosh, this is just like devastating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a heavy case. And oh my god, these guys are fucking monsters.
Speaker 2: So twenty and twenty two correct, and the one guy out of freak, well they both had girlfriends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, okay, yeah, I'll I'll just say that I won't go any further.
Speaker 1: Just breathe, breathe.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope you have a good day.
Speaker 1: Hopefully you guys have a good weekend, happy Friday.
Speaker 2: After this shit, I have a good day.
Speaker 1: We are just going to end it here. Don't forget to check the description of this podcast for all our social links and website. All that good stuff. Reviews really helped the show. We're an independent show. We're hosted, produced, researched, written all on her own. It's myself and Nicole, my wife, in our tiny home with our chickens in the backyard and her dogs sleeping on their bed the bed their beds next to us as they glare at us because they want to go outside or go for a walk.
Speaker 2: Because we're neglecting them. Apparently when we podcast.
Speaker 1: They can sit still for an hour. I'll take them for a good walk today and they'll be happy. Yeah, maybe I'll give them a bone too.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, we'll chat with you in part two, So until then
Speaker 1: Make sure you keep that seatbelt buckled because you'll need it, and stay wicked