Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen and this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Sheresmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 3: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea and join us for the ninth degree christ I learned. I googled well done, don't if it's right.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 3: We've pissed off Italians and Germans and we'll go for the Welsh this week.
Speaker 1: Yes, and Irish as well. When we did hurry up and wait, I think, oh yeah, we're ticking them all off.
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm all right. How are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Not bad? Thank you. I got a new VR headset this weekend, so I've been playing with that oh wow on Russian space station, solving puzzles.
Speaker 1: So that's been fun, fabulous. That does sound fun, just.
Speaker 3: Trying to get over the sea sickness sort of effect you get.
Speaker 1: With it, yeah, I bet yeah, But.
Speaker 3: Otherwise it's all good. Cool, It's been a lot of fun. What I look like from people walking by on the street.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, it's always intrigued me. Yeah, what it must be like because presumably you don't have to like walk about.
Speaker 3: No, my room isn't big enough for that exactly.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so I don't know how that does. How do you like move about.
Speaker 3: Just like you would in any game with the joysticks? Oh?
Speaker 1: Fair enough?
Speaker 3: And that then makes you feel ill because you're not Yeah, that must be weird moving. Yeah, yeah, that's the bit that throws you. Okay, I've had I've played too, I've had an Escape room one, but you you sort of teleport around to like predetermined spots, like it gives you all the points that you can move to in the room.
Speaker 1: Oh I see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you don't have that sickness thing, which was a good way to start with it. Yeah, apparently you get sort of used to it and it doesn't bother you. We'll see you've been up to anything exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we went to an LGBT comedy night last night.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you said, how was it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It was good. It was four comedians of different flavors of queer and yeah, it was very good.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 1: Look at me going out in the middle of a week school, I know, look at me going out full stop.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you had a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was good.
Speaker 3: Did your friend that was performing and enjoy themselves? Did they have a good time?
Speaker 1: I think they did. They certainly did very well and made me laugh a lot.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 1: So all good, nice, and we're back with some more inside number nine.
Speaker 3: We are. We're on series seven, episode two. Mister King quite a famous one, I.
Speaker 1: Feel, yes, But before we get into that, I think we should reveal our hair from last week.
Speaker 3: Indeed, it was hurry up and wait. They're just so down and slow, and you're just peddling and pedaling, pedaling like I just wanted to hurry up and waiting for someone to like see things about this week's.
Speaker 1: Yes, is it too much of Pete behind the curtain to say that we've made a made up a list of ones that are left and trying to work out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's starting to get a bit challenging.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Who thought it was a good idea to leave the awkward ones to the end?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Look forward to seeing how we do some of them. Yes, I'm excited by the options that we've got.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so, yeah, I hope it's a fun game that people are enjoying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's know how how you find them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yes, mister King, let's have the synopsis.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So Alan arrives at a small village primary school in rural Wales. Passionate about teaching, he throws himself into the new job, but finds himself overshadowed by his charismatic and much love predecessor. Mister King.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, it's a good one.
Speaker 3: I I really enjoyed it, Yeah, because what I remember enjoying and hoped it would be as good as I remembered it being.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It feels like obviously, you know, as the series has gone on, you know, we're up to series seven now, they've done a lot of different things. They've pushed it in lots of different directions, and in a way, this one feels a little bit like a return to the classic kind.
Speaker 3: Of mean yeah, the sort of folky horror thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That, plus there's lots of sort of potential ways it could be going. Yeah, and then you kind of the way the twist goes in the end, it's just Yeah, typical recent Steve I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they said that they were worried about how because they thought, how obvious it looks like, clearly it's Wickerman. Obviously it's wicker Man. Who's going to think he's anything other than Wickerman? And they were so scared about putting on all of the little nods that they normally would do. Yeah, there are some still in there, but there was a few that they said they cut out because they were just worried that it was making it too obvious and like, once you've guessed, it might be that every one of those is just yet another red that confirms what you're thinking. Yes, I like they were worried that they'd said. One of the few promo pictures they put out was just recent Steve in costume in the classroom for this episode. Yeah, and someone had spotted in the background that you can see one of the kid's paintings with like a skull in a field or whatever it was, and they were like, oh, they're going to get it from that immediately. And Reese's obviously is normal self of well, you've ruined it for yourself if you've looked that hard exactly. Yeah, but there are still quite a lot of little nuds when you when you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, yeah, so I Well, it's a common thing in our podcast that you will always ask me have you seen such and such a film, and I'll be like no, But I thought i'd get ahead of the game with this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did your homework and you I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, one of our listeners, James, was saying to me that not only is this his favorite episode of in So number nine, right, but Wickerman is also one of his favorite films. Okay, so he really strongly recommended to me that I watch it before we do this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm assuming the original, not the Nicols. Oh god, yeah, the bees. The Bees.
Speaker 1: I know. All I know about the Nicolas Cage one is that I read that it was badly received, so I just didn't bother with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a very terrible scene of him screaming about bees. Is all I know about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, But yeah, no, I mean, I'm glad I watched it.
Speaker 3: Very good. I've never seen it, and.
Speaker 1: I don't think I don't think it spoiled it going in knowing what it was going to be about.
Speaker 3: I think that's the only reason I've not watched it because I'm like, I know it's going to happen, so I'm just hurry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can understand that, but no, I mean, to be fair, I had it on the background while I was working, so I was sort of, you know, I was, I was watching it. But if my employers are saying, no, I was, I was working. Definitely, definitely, But yeah, I thought it was very good.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: It was weird and good and like, I feel like I had a lot to say about sort of religion and and yeah, obviously filters into this episode a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's definitely given me a new appreciation for it because obviously, first time I'd watched this episode, not having seen the film or known anything about it. Really, that was my first sort of exposure to that idea of like I mean, I mean obviously i'd heard of you know, sacrifices and Celtic pagan stuff, but you know, not having seen the thing that it's clearly referencing. Yeah, is different a different experience, isn't it Differently?
Speaker 3: Yeah, recently I've said it's like it's their favorite. I think I don't know if it's their favorite in this genre or just their favorite film overall. That's why they wanted to make it so badly.
Speaker 1: So I'm guessing you've listened to their podcast for this week. Yes, yes, I was good. I don't know if they confirmed this on the podcast, but I was wondering if, with it being based on the Wickerman, if the character names were a reference of Edwards.
Speaker 3: Hard mister Hardy definitely. Yeah, they never referenced Edwards. If they did, I missed it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Hardy being Robin Hardy, the director, Yes, of Wicked Man, but I assumed mister Edwards was named after Edward Woodward makes sense the main actor in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I forgot that he was the actor. No, they didn't reference that quite probably was the reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. So yeah, I mean we we sometimes like to say, you know, if you haven't watched the episode, but I'm sure you know by now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're still listening to this and listen to a.
Speaker 1: Podcast analysis of an episode that you haven't watched.
Speaker 3: What are you doing with your Yeah?
Speaker 1: They always say that on the inside BBC thing, don't they. And while we're on that, can I just have say a bugbear of mine if anyone's listened to that BBC Sounds thing. The way that Reese pronounces or delivers the title he goes inside inside number nine really annoys me because you should put the emphasis on the first one because it's inside inside number nine bugs me every time. And I'm like, so if you if you're listening Reese, sort yourself out.
Speaker 3: Back in time. And yeah, but speaking of other things I learned from the podcast. Yeah, but it was originally how they were going to imagine this, but they were trying to come up with different things that they could have as a nine. Oh yeah, obviously end up with a classroom in the end. But originally it was going to be an element number nine florine in the in the periodic table, and it was going to be something to do with protesting about the use of fluorine and water, and it was going to be like a class project about it. It was going to ultimately sort of end in the same way I get, I think, right, But.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting, because yeah, I was, I'll be honest, I was thinking the class nine was a little bit of a stretch. Hmmm.
Speaker 3: I quite like it. It's a bit different. It's not just a flatter of house.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, I don't mind it from that point of view, But I just mean from someone who's worked in primary schools, and I can't see why they would be a class nine. Like you'd either name them by their year groups, which obviously doesn't go up to nine, true, buy something else like trees or animals or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it doesn't strike me as the school that's big enough to need nine different classrooms.
Speaker 1: No exactly. I was going to say that as well, like we never see any other teachers or any other classes.
Speaker 3: You do in the filing things. See that there are other teachers.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there are. They exist, we just never see them.
Speaker 3: We never see them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll get into that as we get and I think, yeah about it here, Yeah, let's kind of go through what happens. So, like you said in the synopsis, we're in this sort of rural Welsh village, very remote and very sort of I feel like they're really leaning into the stereotype of like backwards country people. Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yes, when Alan Reese's character gets introduced as being from London and they're like, we're going to teach this class in English, which is helpful if any of you ever leave the village.
Speaker 1: I know that you would going to marry your cousins, aren't you.
Speaker 3: Your family has been here for generation. Just a concept that someone might ever get on a bus and leave, I know.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, you know, it's a stereotype. But I think places like that exist, don't.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I grew up in one one of the ones that got out.
Speaker 1: You're one of the adventures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had a village boss that left and went to the nearest town once a week. It didn't come back, but it went. It was a one way boss on a Monday morning. What the hell use that was to anyone? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, why do you want to go back? That's the question.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, once you've seen the bright lights of the near town.
Speaker 1: I like Steve's character of mister Edwards. Interesting wig, yes, and i I've written down actually maybe it actually is a wig for once.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Steve said that he showed his daughter this wig and she was like, that is meant to be a wig, right, it isn't fire the wig person. Yes, it's meant to be a wigger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, good, I think we can excuse that then, And that awful sort of tofty Beard thing as well. Yeah, I've not this before, but it's just amazing to me every week how they they do manage to kind of be chameleons and kind of become completely different people.
Speaker 3: Fifty odd different characters. Yeah, the whole series. It's impressive, and like they're all subtly different. I know we joke sometimes that some of the characters come back, but like they're not. No, no, they are different every time. Absolutely have some similarities, but yeah, there are like snowflakes.
Speaker 1: Although on that note, Jumber, in series one, when we did Tom and Jerry, I'm sure you said, as you said, I think there's an episode maybe where they talked about bringing this character back. Yes, I'm assuming this is the one.
Speaker 3: It is this, It is this. They do cover that in the podcast, but yeah, they did consider doing that. I knew I'd heard it somewhere and I googled and google and couldn't find it because it's in the podcast, right, But yeah, they underneried about it, and apparently it was in the script for most of the script that that was the case, but they ultimately decided it didn't really add anything. No, all it did was add a bit of confusion for people that hadn't seen the previous episode that would feel like they'd missed something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can understand that.
Speaker 3: Plus I suppose they wanted a blank's light with it. But also I guess it kind of takes away from the misdirection story that they're going along. That wasn't the hair with thee what they're tried like that there might be something dodgy going on with Yes, the Allen character, So if you already sort of know who.
Speaker 1: He is, Yeah, and it would I think it would just be a shame to kind of break their rule off. Yeah, you know, everyone being in a separate They've never done that in any other episode. I didn't see why.
Speaker 3: I would have quite liked them to have done it once. But it be the twist that we already know this person, or it's a prequel to a different story and it ends with another story starting or something, Yeah, like could have been interesting. But yeah, I didn't really add anything here, so they didn't.
Speaker 1: Bother No, so yeah, he is a separate person. Yeah, mister Curtis that.
Speaker 3: The whole time writing my notes, getting lost between whether he's called Alan or Adam. Yeah, I couldn't actually.
Speaker 1: Remember he's also got an interesting wig.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's better than Steves, but it is it's still it's still a wig. Yeah. I feel sorry for whoever the wik person was that he keeps liking them off everything.
Speaker 1: No, I'm so sorry. One day we'll get you on the podcast Your Corner you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had fifty per Yeah, I had seven wigs and I kept spraying them and head and styling them and trimming them.
Speaker 3: They're like Marge's dress and the Simpsons.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yes, there's at that brilliant moment where she everything's gone wrong and she just sits there and goes at times like this, Oh you can do is laugh. She just sits there in silence, so relateable. Yeah, yeah, that was what I tried. I tried to do a March impression and no voice came out. It's just like croaking away. It is a hard one.
Speaker 3: It's in her contract that she doesn't have to do the voice outside of recording for the thing, actually for the Simpsons, because she hates doing it that much in public that she wrote it into her contract. They can't make her do it in like interviews or whatever. Okay, that's where you'll never ever see her doing it. No, plus it's just the horrible on her throat to do it well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean have you heard some of them more recent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's changed a lot, hasn't.
Speaker 1: It sounds like she's, yeah, needing to retire, but her voice is ragged, bless her AnyWho. So yeah, so we've got this introduction of the new teacher and the head says that they've got a postcard from their last teacher, mister King. Yes, and he gets a girl carry to read it out.
Speaker 3: And he's wishing them well from down under.
Speaker 1: Which takes on a whole new meaning when you know the twist it does.
Speaker 3: I remember when we were in primary school getting teachers like would send postcard from holidays and things, and it was so sweet.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is sweet. Yeah it was a different time than really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really was. I don't know if they still do that, That's.
Speaker 1: What I was going to say, Like, I can't really imagine that these days. It'll be maybe you might get an email or something these days, but postcards are something quaint and cute about that, isn't there. Yeah I do miss primary school. I mean I know I say that as someone who only a few months ago stopped working in a primary school.
Speaker 3: So you say, do you miss the primary school working there of high school being there?
Speaker 1: Both? Really, but yeah, there's a lot of nostalgia about it, isn't there. Do you ever see those posts on like TikTok and stuff that are like, you know, pictures of things that every nineties primary school had and like those scissors with the like red handles and yeah, and I see those posts and I'm like, they still have those now.
Speaker 3: Like I saw a video of kids trying to identify ancient technology and it was an overhead projector. I'm trying to work a load of primary school kids trying to work out what the overhead projector was going to do. Yeah, not many of them got it right.
Speaker 1: Those were those were all the rage.
Speaker 3: Being a big honor. If you've got to be the person in assembly that would put up the words to the carols that the ymns or whatever you were singing on the air of a projector. Yeah, and you'd be there with a little sheet of regular paper on top, covering up the lines and like moving it along.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or sometimes they would write on it with a pen and then you could see that go across on the screen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Magic.
Speaker 1: Anyone like jen Z or whatever listening to this will be like, do you know what you're talking about?
Speaker 3: No, We're sorry we've lost you.
Speaker 1: But no, it was. It was a good time, just you know, coming in and sitting on the carpet, ye singing, Hey, Diddle diddle, dumplings and gravy in the lunch hole, apple crumble and custard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had telly to be custarded. It was bright pink. Oh really, yeah, well it's what they called telly. Have we custard? But yeah, yeah, custard. That was pinky? Was it?
Speaker 1: Why was it pink?
Speaker 3: I don't know. They just I guess they'd not watch what color is telly to be cust.
Speaker 1: Tell custard is pink? Yeah, oh is it right? But custard is not normally pink. Why yours was pink?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I expected it probably still is still there. I imagine the cook's still there doing the same thing.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I grew up in this school. By the way, This is my kind of school.
Speaker 1: I imagine.
Speaker 3: I was a little village.
Speaker 1: I imagine it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was about sixty of us, sixty kids or something.
Speaker 1: Yes, most my partner Ben was similar. He was he grew up in a small village and I was gobsmacked when he told me that there were so few people that they would they combined year groups, that they'd have year five and six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were the same, like it would be in.
Speaker 1: A class together below. Yeah, that's crazy to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we only had four classrooms. Reception had a classroom one and two shared, three and four shared, and five and six shared.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: I don't really know looking back how it worked. Apparently it did.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah you're here now somehow Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I know nothing, but yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's fun from that point of view. And as I say, someone who's worked in schools as well, it's it's an interest. Although I'll get into it, but like some of my pet peeves about the way that schools are portrayed on TV and film, I suppose this is the same. Any anytime you know it's your area and you know things, you see it on screen and you think, well, that's not accurate.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's mo worrying when it's someone like the Minister for such and such saying a thing that's your area and you're like, well, I understand that, and that's not right. Yeah, what's all the stuff that I don't understand what they're talking about? What does the how bad is that?
Speaker 1: But it's like the big thing that gets me is when it's it's like the timings of lessons. Like if you ever see a lesson in a scene, you always pick it up and it seems like they're literally just introducing the topic and then about two seconds later the bell goes for the lesson. It's like, well, that teacher clearly planned their lesson really badly, and like the random words that in this that he just writes up on the board. That why is he just chosen to right humans up on the board like out of context?
Speaker 3: It is a funny like yeah, and like how old are these kids meant to be? Do we reckon? I'm very bad at guessing the ages of children.
Speaker 1: I'd say they're probably nine or ten, eight or nine. Okay, perhaps that's why they're class nine.
Speaker 3: That makes sense, I guess, But yeah, they do seem to Their homework seems to be quite extreme of like I'm just going to tell you the vague basics of the environment and global warming, and you're going to go away and home and learn the entire thing yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like what you're meant to.
Speaker 3: Be doing the job of teaching these children? I know you're farming it out to the internet and their parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did think the character was not a great teacher, and he doesn't seem to be a natural with kids.
Speaker 3: Like, no, I can see him trying at points.
Speaker 1: But whether that's the character or whether that's just Reese.
Speaker 3: Well, but speaking of which, the kids, that must have been a when they were debating doing this or do we do this? Because this is going to involve a lot of children and this could be an awful week of filming when most of your actors are children, especially if at age. Yes, if you don't know how they're going to do, Like, obviously you've got to cast some of these people and like, yeah, they might be great when they're just chatting in an interview thing, but when you actually put them in a room and set cameras up and everything, what they're going to be like And yeah, it could torpedo the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't say anything on the podcast about where they got them from or anything.
Speaker 3: They didn't say where they got them from specifically. They only cast those main four the.
Speaker 1: Ones who speak.
Speaker 3: The four that get names, Yeah, Kerry, Ewan, Gwen and Knowen.
Speaker 1: It sounds like the torch would cast.
Speaker 3: And the rest they were like just I guess who did okay but wouldn't get lines. The whole point was short of the assembly, where they should just be as good as any kid would be at that age in an assembly. Yes, like they don't have to be good actors.
Speaker 1: Because they were perfect in that regard.
Speaker 3: That's what they were doing at school anyway.
Speaker 1: Great, Yeah, yeah, I mean there's only about there's only twelve kids in the class anyway, they'reabouts. Yeah, I think it's I think it's four ROAs the three three. It's my mask coming up again, you'd write with my calculator.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they are really good. Kerry especially is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's very good. I don't know if I thought the others were that good, but.
Speaker 3: No, well, they were good as child actors go.
Speaker 1: It's always tricky as children. Yeah, yeah, but I feel like they were very also, you know, and obviously another consideration. I always think this when you when you have child actors in you know, shows that have adult themes in them, Like how you sort of protect the kids during that. Yeah, and like, I feel like they were quite careful about, you know, what happens in scenes that children are in and what does what happens outside of that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I watched it back the second I've watched it a couple of times today. The second time I watched it specifically watching out for like when they say bad stuff, it's always just Reese or Steve like. So, yeah, it's very well cut together to make you think that everyone's there, but they can keep them separate. Have you watched the film The Babaduk.
Speaker 1: No, we've had another one.
Speaker 3: It's very good, but it's just a mom and her son and it's like a horror film that shit happens. And I saw it into You where they talk about how they made it and how much of a nightmare it was to keep this ten year old away from all the stuff that's absolutely terrifying and would scar this child for life and like what like that. They essentially wrote a whole different film that this kid thinks it was they were making.
Speaker 1: Because didn't I read they did that with Danny for The Shining. They told him it was a completely different film that was a horror.
Speaker 3: It makes sense, Yeah, must be a whole other level of complexity, like it's are difficult, you have to make a film, but they only make two films, one of which is imaginary and only for a ten year old. And then they watched this like they must have told their friends and stuff, I'm in this film. We're not allowed to watch it. And then like ten years later you watch this film and find.
Speaker 1: Out what made I know that must be crazy.
Speaker 3: It's so weird because you'll only have the memories of it being nice and everyone's fluffy and happy, and then you watch you know, your friend the coastar, your dad's running around with an acts hopping people up, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so fun. Fact that's just pops into my head. But when I was about.
Speaker 3: Six, were you a secret child actor?
Speaker 1: Well? No, I don't know have ever told you this, but yeah, got into acting and stuff like that from quite a young age. And one of my teachers had a contact. And when I was about six, I went to audition for a show, a TV show that Paul McGahn was starring in. It was called Phish, and I have no idea what it was about, but there was a part for like a small boy in it, and literally my mum and Dad still laugh at me about it. But in the audition it said something in the script about Man United, the football team, and the person in the audition said to me, I know it says Man United in the script, but can you just say, man you I think they were like trying to asked me to see if I could take direction, okay, and me, me and my little autistic brain, I just we got that bit in the line and I just went, man, you nighted like, just put it in the brackets because just to show that I knew it's still said that in the script. And my mum was like, yeah, you didn't get it because of that. And then my parents watched it and they were saying to me, oh, you would have done much better than that.
Speaker 3: Boy they got of course you would would, yeah.
Speaker 1: But no I did. I did another thing I was this is random tangent. I was also in an advert for The Guardian and British Airways, right, you know.
Speaker 3: You're actually in the advert I just told I was yeah cool.
Speaker 1: And when I was about ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Basically, they were doing this thing if you buy one get one free plane tickets, so that the idea being you get to choose who you sit next to so in the advert, I was this person that you wouldn't want to sit next to you because.
Speaker 3: I was you're the screamy child exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was on a game Boy and being really obnoxious and American and annoying. The guy came and sat next to me. I had to throw a milkshake over him. Wow, and that was that was an experience because you know, we did it like several times with different takes, and it was like going in his eyes and he was going, oh, fucking hell, fucking hell. He was going, sorry, Stephen, Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh wow, that's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a random tangent. But yeah, I just thought of it.
Speaker 3: Child actors, well, they said about kids making mistakes and like how they kept them in because they felt it made it more real. Like at the end when they say I think it's Gwen has a speech about fifteenth century Peru children and how she put the comma in the wrong place and it should be fifteenth century Peru children were Oh, yeah, but kids do that, she says, fifteenth century Peru children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but that's very realistic, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just kept it in because it felt real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh perfect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you should have got that role originally because that would have been more authentic tick for a child exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. AnyWho, any who, where were we I just feel like I've completely overshared about my life now.
Speaker 3: No, it's good.
Speaker 1: So I mean we've yeah, we've talked about this end of term assembly that they're working towards based on the environment. Yes, they're always on the environment.
Speaker 3: Such an easy one, isn't it. I don't remember us doing assemblies, but we must have done, but I don't remember them. I remember doing like the Nativity thing at Christmas, but that's the only one I ever remember doing. We must have done them, but I have no memory. But I was that painfully shy that I've probably just blotted them out.
Speaker 1: Yeah traumatic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but we did all the harvest festivals, and though we were a probably little sea of school, so it was all oh yeah, yeah, all that bringing all the vegetables and the tins of peaches and stuff at the back of the cupboards and all that crap.
Speaker 1: That's another meme I'm sure I saw. That was about when I was a kid at primary school. I thought the harvest was going to be a much bigger part of my life than it ended up.
Speaker 3: Trained on how to do it for six years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were saying as well about how you know, there's so many different ways this could be going when you don't know. So at this point, I guess it feels a little bit like it's going to be a story about this teacher that is, you know, not settling him. Well, he's getting overshadowed by his predecessor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Plus he's taking pills, Like, yes, what's going on with him? What's happened to him?
Speaker 1: And he's he's like he's on edge, and like he has that bit where he shouts at them about because they don't know about the environment and they're being a bit silly. Yeah, and he's like, you know, there's not something you can be ignorant about, and it's like roaring at them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it must be the hardest bit of being a teacher. And just like not getting annoyed at these kids being stupid all the time, I would find it impossible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is hard to why I don't.
Speaker 2: Get all the kids I've cannot deal with them.
Speaker 3: The bottle of vodka in the headmaster's office. Trial makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, we find out later that he's been ordered by the doctor to sort of take a quieter life. He's obviously had some sort of breakdown or something. Yep, so we're maybe thinking is that going to rear its head again?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Or what exactly was his breakdown? What happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's not uncommon in the teaching profession. It's a very pressured career.
Speaker 3: I'd be surprised, and like, we're on the seventh series of this now, Like it wouldn't be out of character for him to just go mental, Like it could do anything, and it wouldn't be out of character for the series.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, So it definitely feels like it's it's some sort of story about this guy not succeeding in his job in some way. I think, yeah, yeah, so he he's not very happy about the way that these children seem to have been taught by mister King.
Speaker 3: No, what curricula are they following?
Speaker 1: Yes? So he asks for an email address.
Speaker 3: Is that the Little Blue Bird?
Speaker 1: No, that's Twitter? Oh yes, tashtagsh tags And then later on he calls it a b male and I'm like he is he playing this up for effect? Or I don't know or is he really that of a blood eye?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't think my parents would know what twitter was.
Speaker 1: No, but be male.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that seemed extreme, but it just hit me then I wonder whether these kids know nothing because they murdered their teacher about six weeks into the year. Exactly what do they do for the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: I was thinking that the so is the idea that they're doing it once a year at this point of the year for the harvest thing?
Speaker 3: Yes, and harvest festival is something like August, isn't sorry, just like October isn't it? Yeah? October?
Speaker 1: So so yeah, so who is teaching them for the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: But I wondered how this works? So whether it's always Class nine and they're just the class nine of this year.
Speaker 1: That was my other question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because but then they worked with mister King.
Speaker 1: They worked with mister King. Yeah, so that was them. So why is it Class nine doing it? And what are these other classes doing? Are they not doing a sacrifice?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, I was going to wordw questions later. Why mister Edwards gets annoyed that they're doing the assembly and I can only assume that it's that normally the assembly were being in front of the whole school and the sacrifice will be with the whole school watching, And it's just this class that happens to do it.
Speaker 1: And so you know, is it a case of like liking Wickerman, everybody in this village is following this same religion and yeah, and they're all in on it because otherwise I'm like, why, you know, people wouldn't let this happen.
Speaker 3: So I assume, yeah, I assume it's just a whole the whole village is yeah, some strange pagan cult or whatever it is exactly. Yeah, how they keep getting teachers, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you think some would investigate why they keep her disappearing.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can understand it vaguely if you go back to like the sixties or fifties or whenever, and it's just by all accounts, it just seemed to be anything when like who knows what's going on. There's no real paper trailer of anything exactly right nowadays, even references ofsted like round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've instead have been round. Yeah, there's and there's I mean that we're going to come on to it in a minute, so I'll save it for them. But yeah, so say what I was going.
Speaker 3: To say, we're jumping about all over the place.
Speaker 1: It's kind of one of those episodes I think that you have to. So next thing really is, we've got an art lesson on a different day.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: One thing I wrote down was a child making a teach a cup of tea. Yeah, question mark, exclamation mark, exclamation mark.
Speaker 3: What I mean? Well, firstly, obviously that's dangerous, but secondly, what rocky teacher mistake is it to not even check that nothing weirds in your cup before you drink out of it? Given you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also you know they're not your fucking slaves. Well yeah, I think she does it if she offers rather than ask at it. But still it's very weird. But also yeah, I mean that would never happen in the school I was working in. They weren't. So when I first started working there, you were only allowed hot drinks, so you could have them in the staff room in a normal mug, but if you were going out of the staff room, they had to be in a like a travel cup that was like sea leable on the top.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then there was an incident where a child got hot tea on them because they jumped up at a teacher while they were drinking from their mug like a cat. Pretty much. Yeah, that's exactly a pretty much it. So then they made the blanket rule that you can't have hot drinks at all outside of the staff room.
Speaker 3: Right, so yeah, it a little Oliver ruined everything exactly. Yes, I'm joking. I hope this kid was.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh it was fine, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I couldn't understand it if she's just taken it upon herself to make the cup of tea. Yeah, but surely Alan should have like told her off afterwards, being like this is lovely, but you shouldn't do this like it's.
Speaker 1: I mean, does that mean there's a kettle somewhere that she can just access like safeguarding. Yeah, hello, he's.
Speaker 3: Not really got much awareness of the room, Like kettle doesn't boil instantly. You'd have heard that, surely.
Speaker 1: But then all these things that I've written down, and I'm thinking, well that doesn't that's not right. And I think you can just explain by saying, well, it's a very rural, you know, remote place. They don't follow the rules that everyone else does. It's all fashioned. It's this it's that.
Speaker 3: That plus Allan is that highly strung that he's like he's just not there as presently as he maybe should be. Either between those two things, you can probably But.
Speaker 1: Also I'm thinking, like maybe that is normal in that school. Maybe they're in other classrooms, well, children are making tea for their teachers, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean these kids are then having to sacrifice an adult, So I mean they don't think that's strict No exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, so she's boiled tadpoles for reasons, yeah, and put them in the tea. Yeah, I think you're supposed to assume the reason that she's done it is because she doesn't like him, because she doesn't like him compared to mister King, And it's like a you know, it's like a roll Darley sort of know.
Speaker 3: That was going to be my question.
Speaker 1: Tadpoles in your tea sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't really understand why she did it, but yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: That was that. I think that's what you're supposed to think. But then I think taking the whole twist into account, right, I feel like it's maybe maybe to do with like this whole life and death sacrificing animals. Sort of thing. Okay, I don't know. Yeah, it could be.
Speaker 3: I can see that. That was the bit that threw me the most of the episode. I was just like, I don't really understand why they're.
Speaker 1: Doing this weird. I didn't think it's a stupid thing to say. I won't say that. I'm gonna have to say it. I was gonna say I didn't think tadpoles were that big, But then I'm like, they've obviously've got to grow into little froglets, so they've got to grow. So yeah, yeah, but yeah, whenever I picture them, I thought they pictured them smaller than that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no, they are quite big. Okay, so no other question. Kerry says that like, oh it's okay, like mister king a goldfish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what the fuck?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 3: I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wrote that down a small.
Speaker 3: She's just making it up, Like, I don't understand why she'll be making it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That is a very weird bit, isn't it. I think I feel like I've missed something.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, I don't get that, and why we also get that Kerry's been has pushed some kid in a cake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a few bits here that I feel are designed for more of more again, not a misdirection, yes, from the story.
Speaker 1: We need another word for misdirection. Yeah, but yeah, no, I know what you mean. I think it is though, isn't it. It's just like red herrings.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that don't quite make well. I mean I don't really care.
Speaker 1: But no, it's she, you know, maybe she is just a little bitch that people faces and cakes.
Speaker 3: I mean, she's having an extension built after all, So like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh I love that when he's like, is there anything going on at home? We're having an extension?
Speaker 3: Well that close it up, thank you.
Speaker 1: It sounds like, you know, a great scripted line for a comedy thing. But I could totally hear a child saying that. Yeah, children do say the funniest.
Speaker 3: Things they do, dude.
Speaker 1: And but there's also this he makes a Michael Jackson reference, which personally, I feel like, I feel like it's in there because of where things are about to go, and it's almost like priming the audience, sort of putting that seed in your mind off. These things exist, these things happen. Yeah, that's how I feel about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an odd thing for him to have said, but yeah, it's there to make the rest of it make more sense than you not to question it.
Speaker 1: Yes, because he's I mean, you know, obviously he gets suspected. Well, he thinks he's being suspected of things, but he's not done in a thing dodgy. No, But like you say, it's a strange, strange thing for him to say to a child. This is where I wrote down that he, like I said, he doesn't doesn't seem like a natural with children. He seems very awkward with her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And this is specifically the scene I meant, how good an actor that Alanoan is that's playing Kerry does him like I do buy that she's really upset and like, oh yeah, she does such a good job of it.
Speaker 1: When he says about do you want to go outside or stay in here with me? In the way she goes stay with you, it was really really realistic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was, But again adds to the creepy bit of how he responds of like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know exactly, Like it definitely feels like it's pointing towards that when he's like good girl, and it's like and then yeah, and then it pans to the painting of the face with the like paint.
Speaker 3: Tear, Yeah, and like just if you put that in it makes you think it's more sinister than it was exactly. And he's just saying, good girl, stay here if you're scared kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know. It's an odd choice of maybe an odd choice of words, and it's a weird delivery exactly.
Speaker 1: The delivery is creepy. I think he just he just seems awkward to me. Yeah, yeah, you know, and when he like sort of pats her comfortingly, like he's quite awkward about that. But to be honest, he shouldn't be doing that, especially when it's just him and her in the room.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But again, this place doesn't seem to follow any of the bridge, of course. Yeah. It does seem very sort of ad hoc, like very sort of improvised, like oh, he looks at his watch and he's like, oh, you've got fifteen minutes go and have a play. It's not like a structured oh it's break time. Yeah, He's just sort of like, off you go and have a play for fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: I've had enough of you.
Speaker 1: Another strange bit where he's cutting a bit off a carrot, yeah, to pretend and it's a goldfish.
Speaker 3: He's clearly like very in the shadow of mister King and like trying to Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't like the idea of dipping that carrot in that fish tank water and then eating it.
Speaker 3: I think you're going to get something from that. Yeah, Yeah, And it's not the support of your peers like mysteria.
Speaker 1: And then mister Edwards just comes in, Oh bit peckish, are you, Steve, have of a time this week? The joyous, isn't it? So he comes in to question him, and he has the brilliant line here where he says it's important we talk sensitively about mental health. So I just wanted to clarify you went a bit doolally, didn't you.
Speaker 3: Oh dear hl screaming somewhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we get him sitting him down to discuss what's happened with Carrie. The previous day. She has made allegations which was terrifying for any teacher to hear. Yes, like of the you know you've not done anything, and a kid can say anything like that must be a horrible position to be in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is this is why, as I say, there are protocols and ways to go about things like he shouldn't have been in a room alone with her. Yeah like that, because because you know, you have to protect yourself, you know, to make sure that you you're not open to any allegations or anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, these this remote school, it should be should be following the processes that are there for a reason, you know. Yeah, And like he says to him about the you know, oh, she's had a lot going on. She was boiling tadpoles the other day. And he's telling him this like it's news to him, But he should have told him that on the day it happened. Yeah, Like that's something that needs to be documented and reported, right, you know, because obviously there is an unusual thing for her to do. Like if I was in school and that happened, that I'd be logging that straight away. Mh.
Speaker 3: This kid's weird. To keep an eye on them, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, not that they're weird, but you know, concerns.
Speaker 3: The main character in the horror film. Soon they'll be that kid that's drawing the weird stick figures that hang in trees and stuff that you always see in horror films. Yeah, kids are always drying creepy ship yes, Yeah, mister Edwards says that she's been discussing stuff that's not found in different chip books.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh they've not got Kipper, have they in this little.
Speaker 1: Village haven't hasn't quite arrived yet.
Speaker 3: We're on the early day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's that joke about the Wi Fi connection. Takes me all weekend to download one country file. I'm like, is that the joke? I think it is.
Speaker 3: That that I didn't know that the.
Speaker 1: First syllable of country file meaning because there's people always joke about, oh, you know, the days before we're all banned and you'd have to be all like to download one you know, picture of something something.
Speaker 3: Oh I didn't. I didn't twig that.
Speaker 1: If that's okay, that's just my dirty mind. But I feel like the way he says it all weekend to download one country file.
Speaker 3: I have to listen back.
Speaker 1: And yes, so you said you were confused whether he's Alan or Adam. Yeah, so is Steve. I love wordplay like that. Mm hmm. It's really well well written and timed, like, you know, I don't know you from Alan, it's Adam. Oh sorry I thought it was Adam, you know. And he just carries on calling to Adam after that.
Speaker 3: That's the episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is where it shifts from. You know, he's he's going about things in a vaguely by the book seeming way, and then all of a sudden, now to the blue. Yeah, yeah, he wants to see his Yeah yeah, Penis.
Speaker 3: Just get possessed by a demon demon. I love Steve's delivery of well there was a plastic see model, but I don't want to touch it, so like it was his spoilers, but all of this is made up like that, He's just added that little bit of flavor to the story for him to just for the sake of it. Just I guess because he finds it funny.
Speaker 1: He knows what he's doing. But yeah, this is where it's it gets very weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it goes from it's potentially weird too, it's weird now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And at this point I'm just thinking, why why is he Why is Alan not just getting the fuck out of that school right now?
Speaker 3: Well, I guess like he knows he's not done anything wrong, Yeah, but he can't prove it, and he's scared, you know, his entire life's about to come crashing down. As his child said something yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I guess he's not thinking and this whole thing. You know, he says, oh, I could contact your union rep. Yeah, and he's he doesn't want that, but but that's, in my opinion, that's exactly the situation where you would want a union rep because they're they're supposed to stand up for you and all that.
Speaker 3: Maybe bad shits happened at his last school. Maybe he's not got good memories of maybe his union rep didn't stand up for him and that's how he lost his job there. And yeah, yeah, he's clearly just not thinking straight.
Speaker 1: I just you know when you I mean fucking hell. Yeah, so weird. He just seemed quite quickly to just sort of go all right, get on with it sort of thing, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which boy was thread with whips out of polaroid camera. Oh my god, oh dear, and the look of glee in Steve's face, he's just so exciting. Well yeah, yeah, so he starts very closely inspecting yes as a special guest star Winnie, and that baden pops up.
Speaker 3: Oh she's great, she is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's lovely to see her.
Speaker 3: She's such a carry on character here though not maybe in this scene, but when she goes on about melons and stuff later or whatever she's not about.
Speaker 1: She's very funny and she does the accent really nicely as well.
Speaker 3: She does to the point where I was wondering if she even was well. She sounded so believable to me. I don't know if he is a good Welsh accent or not, but yeah, yeah, I just had her as Margaret going I've gone native.
Speaker 1: I was going to say that, and I thought that's too niche of Jake for our general audience. But I was thinking that, you know, and all that exactly.
Speaker 3: Bless her. Yeah, comes in to mop.
Speaker 1: Up and those glasses those really thick. I can't see a thing.
Speaker 3: She's blind as a bat.
Speaker 1: Must be helpful for a cleaner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, I'm sure she's a fantastic job.
Speaker 1: So next day or whenever it is, at some point in the future, we're in another lesson and there is giggling going around the class. They're passing something around and giggling at it. And my first thought was, are they passing around the photos?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that scene, which would have been really worrying and unsettling.
Speaker 3: Yes, even I know that's not good.
Speaker 1: I was going to say Is it just me that my mind went there?
Speaker 3: Do you think I don't think I considered that. I don't know what I thought they were passing around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But because we just had that scene and it just sort of just sort of thought, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, yeah, does that is probably actually what you meant to be thinking, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It turns out it's a carrot with a protuberance. Yeah, you know, you know I'm going to do it. Don't you have to do the line? Is it? Because this bit looks like a penis, a big flubby penis.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, but it sounded so legal, gentleman. For some reason, I just think like it should be a character in that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, the poor guy, like he's a good stuff.
Speaker 3: He's not.
Speaker 1: He's he's unhinged, and he's he's letting his emotions get in the way of his professionalism. You know that bit. And then the next thing that happens is that Kerry comes back into class and apparently it's all sorted out, and he does this thing where he says to that he's pretending he's talking to them all about just general stuff, but really what he's saying to them is don't go and spread rumors about me behind my back and stuff, and it's like, I get what he where he's coming from, but he's letting his hurt emotions get in the way of he shouldn't be dealing with it like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean what he's sort of saying is sort of good, but he's not freight like. It's not in the right way by any stretch. Like he's good advice like you know, but not delivered how he did it by any stretch. He tries to sell it that he's teaching fractions and biology at the same time.
Speaker 1: Interesting combination indeed.
Speaker 3: But Alan's off the hook because there's been a big discrepancy between the photo and the description. It's like, we are going to kill you in a few weeks, but I'll just make you feel like you do. You're good.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, let me get another scene with Winnie. If this is an odd scene this, yeah, I do like the reference though. So's she's preparing for the harvest festival, just got all these vegetables, and then he asked about mister King and she says. One thing she says is he was quite a dish. And she's looking at the vegetables, at them and then he sort of thinking, you know, given that he gets sort of sprinkled onto the soil and you know he used to sort of grow. Because the whole thing that it's all about this cyclical nature of like you know, in The Wicked Man, there's this song that they all sing about. You know, there's a tree that grows from a seed, and on the tree there's this and that. I don't know, I can't remember what it goes, but it all it all links back to then you know people people grow and then they die, and then they go to the soil and more things grow from that, and it's sort of this onward cycle. And I feel like that's that's part of that. When she says he was a dish, it was like he he went into their food that they're making.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And then of course he says, your your naps are very impressive.
Speaker 4: She gets very so her response is so weird. Yes, and the delivery of it is even weird. It's so unsettling. This is brand new PLATEX lift and separate.
Speaker 2: Wish be one thing from anyone anywhere, but from a like I don't know, sixty plus year old woman, and it's even weirder in a little tabard.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, have we skipped over a really creepy.
Speaker 3: My turnips of one prizes? You know, it just sounds so sinister, and I don't know why it does.
Speaker 1: It's very strange, isn't it. But no, he was talking about the vegetables, yes, and she says, well, that's just mother Nature working on magic.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Again they're all into this mother Nature indeed.
Speaker 3: But here Alan that turns a bit. He's takes advantage of poor old Winnie, yes, and relieves her of her keys to the building.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that when he asks, like, you know, have you got a key to the head office, and she looks as if she's going to say no, and then he does this sort of please, like no weedling sort of thing. So yeah. He goes and searches mister Edward's office, indeed, and he can't find a record of a mister King.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: The only thing he finds is this folder of polaroids of various penises.
Speaker 3: Yes, which I hope we're going to be covered in the podcast. I want to know where that where, how they got those where they came from?
Speaker 1: I mean, my note I wrote down was penises on BBC.
Speaker 3: Two Spinning in her Grave.
Speaker 1: Perhaps they're all various crew members.
Speaker 3: I did wonder. I was like, I imagine share like, it's one thing for it to be stock images, but it's to show that on national TV. Feels a little There must.
Speaker 1: Be like there must be like medical stock images or something somewhere to just use I guess like from like textbooks and things. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I hope they would cover it in the podcast, but they didn't. They said that they gave them to Reese as like a wrap party present, and they were going to make a coffee table walk out of him, as if to imply they were of Reese. But I really like giving him the evidence that he can keep it safe so that doesn't get into the public's hands.
Speaker 1: Oh so I'm confused. Are they Are they supposed to be Alan's or I thought they were like previous Well.
Speaker 3: I assume that presumably at least one of them is Alan's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is like a variety of variety.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and some have stars and some don't, of potential useful candidates for what they want later.
Speaker 1: Very weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an odd scene. This is a whole odd episode.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: It is in a good way.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I was going to say something again about that connecting it to command, but I feel like maybe that is a bit of a spoiler if people haven't seen it, so I won't, right, But yeah, so again again, I kind of don't like this bit in that I don't understand why he does it this way. But he phones up mister Edwards to confront him, and he obviously just fobs him off, And I'm like, I wouldn't go to him and say, I've you know, there's something going on here.
Speaker 3: Give him chance to get rid of evidence and stuff. Yeah, go to the authorities, or at least have a plus one with you too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know. I know there's some remote school and they seem to be not part of the system, but they must be. They must have a local authority, they must have, you know, people that you would go to. I know he calls. He says, they're an independent school, but still they're not above the law and they're part of Yeah, it's very weird.
Speaker 3: Before I could understand if it was years ago and you could claim that they were a little town in the valleys that has no contact with the outside world.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: They just set up this school and no one knows it exists. Yeah, but in modern day, plus the fact that Alan found a job there exactly from London. Yeah, they must be advertising. Yeah yeah, I don't quite understand all of that, but.
Speaker 1: No, I think it feels like it's trying to be that sort of quaint, old oldie worldy thing. Yeah, which which it doesn't quite add up in the modern world. But you have to kind of just forget that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it might have been better if it was set in like nineteen seventy or something exactly.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh, yeah, that would have actually been really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wonder why they didn't do that because that kind of would have made sense.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah that see, it would have been any harder. Yeah, And it's also odd that he does it on a phone call, Like you say, you think you'd have taken someone with you that you trust, so you've got a witness for whatever said, Yeah, and do it in person.
Speaker 1: Although who does he trust? Well, who can he trust?
Speaker 3: True?
Speaker 1: Nobody at this point I guess, well he does, but he shouldn't. Well, yeah, because you know, he's relocated from London on his own.
Speaker 3: He's only a few months here and he would have made friends or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he's not having a very happy time. No, it's all right, it'll be overseon. Yeah. So he goes back into his classroom and the children say they want to show him their assembly, and I'm like, so they have they put this together without him themselves.
Speaker 3: They're very entrepreneurial.
Speaker 1: When if they rehearse this in their.
Speaker 3: Fifteen minute break when they were running around outside, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's not realistic in the slices. No, although I guess it's something they've done before. It's the same assembly in reality.
Speaker 3: Yes, presumably this is the same assembly.
Speaker 1: And mister Edwards probably goes through it with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but after school lessons on it or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, spit weird.
Speaker 3: I do like that. It starts out quite cute though, and like, yeah, Alan's actually quite impressed with them.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, it's a nice you know, it is believable for what it is. Yeah. Yeah, you know the person in the planet Earth gets the plastic cup chucked at them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a little cry.
Speaker 1: And oh are you what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it reminds you. Do you ever watch Big Factwords of the Year. No, Well, they have a question every year where they always go to the same primary school and they get them to act out something that happened in the news that year, right, and it's always done exactly like this. Okay, it's really good.
Speaker 1: And then he's not very happy when they make a joke about killing someone and recycling him. I thought it was quite funny, actually lighting up a bit mister. Oh no, I don't think that's appropriate.
Speaker 3: This is where he draws the line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gone on. So yeah, it discovers that they've super glued him to the chair.
Speaker 3: M ugh, not good.
Speaker 1: No, that shot when you see his arm and the skin like, it's yeah, oh that looks painful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that wouldn't be pleasant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I think first time I watched it, part of me was like, well, you know, couldn't he just rip himself off it? But I'm like, god, no, if you tried, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like he probably you would try to later on when he works out what's going on, how serious this is?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but at what point do you, like, if this was really happening, would you genuinely believe it? Would you think it was a joke, like some elaborate prank.
Speaker 1: Oh, you would wouldn't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't genuinely think this group of kids are going to kill you. So are you really going to rip all the skin off your arms for what you think what must be screaming in your head is a prank?
Speaker 1: Well, I think you could. When it's he's just his arms are glued to the chair, I think you could potentially think it's a tasteless prank. But I think when it crosses today gluing his lips shut, I think that's when you think, oh, actually this is serious, some serious shit's happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The masks, Yeah, I do not like the masks. They're creepy, so creepy do not like?
Speaker 3: Do not agree with?
Speaker 1: I like the you know, the musical instruments and the singing. Always like when when you get that sort of creepy juxtaposition between the cheery music and the sinister what's going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does take it to a different level, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: You can hear the recorders in the background. That's so primary school.
Speaker 2: Apparently you can actually do recorder to like level eight or whatever as a proper instrument.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, I want to hear it.
Speaker 3: I want to hear someone actually perform recorder properly, Okay, look.
Speaker 1: It up on YouTube. It's because it was like quite a popular instrument in like, you know, the sort of Baroque period and stuff. So like when you listen to like people playing music from that, you get harpsichords and all that, and you get recorders like Virtuoso recorder. It's just it's got a bad reputation these days because people learn it when they're like six, and it sounds awful and squeaky. So yeah, their assembly starts to take on a different tone just a little bit. They start going on about the Earth goddess and life and death and as you mentioned earlier, Peru children yes, sacrifice to the gods and now apparently the children want to sacrifice an adult.
Speaker 3: M m. But it's all okay, stread was is there?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: I love that bit. It's a classic, isn't it classics? Yes, the day is saved and then sister, yes, I like that bit when you still think he's going to save the day and one of the children goes towards him with that whatever it is, and you think he's about to be attack and then suddenly he's like my favorite bit, you know.
Speaker 3: Because he has just been the comic relief for most of the episode. And yeah, yeah, he's in on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was, Like I said earlier, it was a initially confused as to why he was so angry at them for already starting. But like I say, I imagine it was meant to be maybe next week and in front of the school, and it would have been a big whole thing. But they've started early. Yeah, and I guess we just have to carry on with it now.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, the explanation of the whole penis picture thing is that he needed to be uncircumcised.
Speaker 3: To be as nature intended.
Speaker 1: As nature intended apparently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I want to know what happens if he wasn't that they have to just find a new teacher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I suppose.
Speaker 3: He's now safe and he just has to carry on teaching and some other Maybe it's just that every year they get some new teachers, and this class just happened to two years in a row, get a teacher that was acceptable to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although well I don't want to delve into yeah, okay, I'll accept that. Yeah, I'm just thinking about the you know, the country that we live in in the kind of what's normal. You know, you'd think that there would be quite a lot of teachers that would be acceptable to their plan.
Speaker 3: Odds are likely. Yeah, yes, I'm.
Speaker 1: Trying to be delicate, but yeah it's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, obviously it's an arbitrary requirement, but it's just it's needed to make the red herring earlier in the episode look more convincing. Yes, it's a thing that lines up with you know, he might be a creepy man sort of situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really hits Allen when the big mask comes out, which is lovely. It's beautifully made. Oh yeah, it's fantastic. I mean I don't want to wear it, but it's nice. Yeah, we get some more singing mm hmm.
Speaker 1: And when the queen Winnie what what?
Speaker 3: What the fuck is she wearing.
Speaker 2: The weird little dollhead thing and is it meant to be a colorflower or what?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's so creepy, Like if this room wasn't so brightly lit, this scene would be terrified. I mean it's already.
Speaker 1: Creepy, already is terrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I say it's creepy, but it would go to downright terrifying if it was at night throwing some candles and yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh god, oh yeah, yeah, you get that brilliant you know, that final moment of comedy where she just leans in and I think, does she say you'll do my turnips the world are good or something like that, Yeah, because I guess you know, from their point of view, they don't think they're doing anything evil or wrong. They think they think it's the right thing. They just think it's the natural way of things. And they do, you know, going off the way things went in The Wicked Man. It's like they don't see it as death that are the way that we do, right, They see it as you know, they go on, the life force goes on and into the rest of nature.
Speaker 3: So exactly. Yeah, yeah, I just love that. It's obviously such a grim thing that's happening. And we just got this fellow of our music playing as we go to the credits.
Speaker 1: It's so good. Yeah, And how they sort of they lead him, they lead him outside, don't they they go? I think they go off outside, And then we just cut to the art from the display board, just sort of showing what what's awaiting him.
Speaker 3: It's got in a tree. Yeah apparently. Yeah, I want the CSI episode that's set in this little town years later. So they're doing a person every year. Yeah, and you're expecting kids to keep this secret.
Speaker 1: That's the thing is how does it stay a secret?
Speaker 3: I don't know. It must be it must be just that whole town. That's just this is what they are.
Speaker 1: And people really don't leave.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, even the beginning when he says about how this lesson is going to be in English and like they've grown and like it's really uncommon for people not to really speak English in Wales.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm sure there.
Speaker 3: Are plenty of there are plenty of people that do speak effluently.
Speaker 1: But yeah, for it to be for English to be such a sort of oh no, you know, yeah, so.
Speaker 3: They probably are just really cut off. And obviously, by the requirements of the episode, we can't leave the classroom really like the corridor and the like that sort of immediate area, so you can't see what the town's like. But it probably is some weird, little, you know, cut off, disconnected village and they're just shipping a new person every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think, I think, Yeah, I know, we've we've We've discussed it, and there are possibilities. But I think that's my most confusing thing is that, like, what is going on with these other classes and other teachers, and you know they all in on it? Are they okay about it? And I guess they must be, but I guess they have to be. But if there's nice classes, that means they've got you know, another eight teachers at least at least. Yeah, have they all grown up in this village as well?
Speaker 3: I would assume so, But like there's twelve did we say twelve kids in this classroom? Yeah, So, like that's not a tiny school if you've got to have at least at least nine classrooms. No, it's over one hundred students, So yeah, it's got to be a sizable town before you get to like offshoot villages to feed into it. Yeah, and then the secret just becomes so much harder to keep exactly.
Speaker 1: I think at the end of the day, you have to just accept the reason it's class nine is because it has to be.
Speaker 3: It has to be. Yeah, class is one through eight burnt down. It is just winning mister Edwards and Allen running this school at this point. Yeah, I think it would have been interesting. Obviously you've only got twenty something minutes, but it would be an interesting extra aspect of the episode, if of allan questioning where the other teachers are or like something to that effect, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you think he would, but you know, I mean we never see him in the staff for him, like hanging out with teachers and stuff.
Speaker 3: You could have had another teacher as well that isy on it and he talks.
Speaker 1: To Yes about it, and that's true.
Speaker 3: That would have explained it more that, like, you know, this is a big thing, like it it's not just the head teacher that's running this. Yeah, but I suppose that's what when he does as well, I guess, but exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if it was if we had more time, if it was longer, yeah, it would have been nice to have that. But yeah, I guess there just wasn't time.
Speaker 3: I guess if you want more time, you just watched the work of Man.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, any listeners you've not seen it, I do recommend it having I think I will watch actually watched it freshly recently. Yeah. It's weird but good.
Speaker 3: The few clips I've seen look very weird.
Speaker 1: So it's time to rate the episode it is, And actually I haven't written anything down this week, so we're going in blind.
Speaker 3: Oh what do I want? I think it is a really good one, like I do. I know we've said plenty of criticisms. Yeah, but I don't think they detract from it enough for me to really knock it down much.
Speaker 1: No, I agree.
Speaker 3: I think I want to give it an eight. Okay, I do really like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm yeah, I was. I was just thinking about just now. I's just toying up between the seven and an eight.
Speaker 3: I wanted to go seven point five really yeah, maybe a bit much, but seven doesn't feel enough.
Speaker 1: Possibly, But then I'm looking back at some other eights I've given things, and actually, yeah, that doesn't feel too wrong. I think I'll also go an eight. Yeah yeah, cool, there we go.
Speaker 3: Now, big question time.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you.
Speaker 3: Stop the hair?
Speaker 1: Well? I wasn't looking for it. Okay, so no, I haven't spotted it. But as I sometimes do, I have some guesses, right, well, at least I guess and my immediate if it was me, if I was doing this episode, I was thinking it's probably in a child's painting or something on a wall, or like a cutout on a display or something. I was I was thinking, is it not the actual hair ornament?
Speaker 3: It is a physical hair this week? Is the actual ornament?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm guessing it's in the head study then it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, So as you're looking, so you've got the door sort of on the left and the fan cabot on the right. It's kind of on a table in the middle with like a shield and some like awards and things.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 3: It's kind of where I thought it probably would be. I hoped it would be because if it was in that classroom I was never going to find.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you see what I mean, Like when you did that they did the fancy the shampoo bottle in the hotel, like it's that would have been quite cool to have like a like a you know, like a paper cutout of a hair or something on the display board or something.
Speaker 3: I could see that definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you spot our hair listeners.
Speaker 3: Did you? Well, I'll tell you where it was next week. We will when we were back with nine line Cat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I seem to have forgotten a lot about. I have. I have a vague idea of it, but same, Yeah, it'll be interesting to revisit before we go. I did want to share a nice comment that we got on TikTok this week. This one comes from a user called play Cards, who says, discovered in sudden number nine after watching Taskmaster and now slowly catching up on pasteps. Your podcast is such a great companion piece, so erudite and funny and educates me and all the references I missed.
Speaker 3: Ah huh, yeah, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. You know, we try, we try.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know if it was working.
Speaker 1: But yeah, glad you enjoying.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you very much. But yes, we'll be back next week.
Speaker 3: We will.
Speaker 1: But until then, it's time to close the door on number nine.
Speaker 3: Been never leave, do you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at Ninthdegree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.