Speaker 1: Well, let's see if we remember how to do this.
Speaker 2: I did not realize five weeks off here, Hussey and I were going to kind of stack our bye weeks.
Speaker 1: A couple busy weeks.
Speaker 2: Here ended up a little bit extended, and spoiler alert, we might have a couple more. But I think once we get really past Labor Day, and they always say, you know, the CFL season doesn't really count to Labor Day, which is always phenomenal marketing in my opinion for a football league. But we are back here at least for one week. Tons to get to I mean literally, like Hussey, first off, how are you doing doing good?
Speaker 3: Read? Thanks for having me as always really glad to be back. I mean it was a big break, big hiatus, but again, a lot of news to talk about and catch up on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you're back here, like I said, like and subscribe, we're back for a week, and it's probably two weeks off and then once we get into September, I gotta go back now to Boston for work. I was there for pleasure.
Speaker 1: Back again.
Speaker 2: But if you like all this CFL Week eleven recap kind of mid season review here, however we want to brand that, please like and subscribe. When we get to four thousand subscribers, I think what I'm gonna do. UFL doesn't want to do in ticket giveaways, so I think we're gonna do custom Royal retros jerseys. We'll do a CFL one and then we'll do a UFL one, so we'll probably be two different winners there. I'll deal with Dustin about that, but the nice thing is I can just pay him and then he'll send it out directly.
Speaker 1: So like it, subscribe if you like any of this.
Speaker 2: But we've done my Doug flute, and we've done the UFL custom and we can do xfls have anything. But we'll get two different things like that, and we'll get all that situate. So I get subscribed. Jason and I have a lot of rants we're gonna get to here. I watched the Great Games, I watch all the games here. I'm all caught up. But I mean even just news of the week, I think we would have enough to kind of, you know, fill this whole thing. We won't do play by Pelly breakdowns of all this, but time to get to this has to be the craziest week ten to eleven ever of a season. I mean normally this is like the summer doldrums, right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well yeah, I feel like a lot of people in the summer. It's it's a slow news month. I mean, it's kind of like the dead of the season. And like you said, it easily gets going after Labor Day when NFL cuts go and you start to see a lot more movement there. But yeah, it's been a very very hectic week in the CFL.
Speaker 2: So we have Larry Thompson, right, new Elks ownership, they get their first big win.
Speaker 1: I watched.
Speaker 2: I did not realize that with such an ass whoopy and I saw it kind of the score and I was track and we were out of town. And then you said you were at the game for that, right the McLeod Bethel Thompson. Uh, I get We'll get to that, because you know, it's always great to benure starting quarterback and then have that have your backup get hurt and then have to bring back inbou LEVI that was interesting. We have Chris Jones now Chris Jones as the defensive assistant. I guess for the tie Cats. I guess the Edmonton Elks beat them so bad. They said we got to bring Chris Jones in here, We've got Chuck Kelly Returney, we have the Nathan Wurke. I have a lot to say about that. Anything else major news I'm missing here. It feels like there's a ton of stuff.
Speaker 3: I think you covered it everything except for the games themselves.
Speaker 2: So do we want to talk through the Snathan work thing first up? Because I really thought, like, Okay, you know, I was out of town. The Lions got killed by the bombers, you know, shut out, I go on Rods Show, We're you know, we're on vacation. I kind of pooh pooh Rick Campbell, and I don't know if he's going to be the one to get us over the hump, you know us as in the BC line. I got a lot of feedback from that internally, externally, a lot of comments everything. I felt so bamboozled by this Nathan work of it all, and like because I it made me forget how terrible this team is in and of itself, right.
Speaker 1: And I feel like I boughted into the hype.
Speaker 2: I have a story for all this, But what was your initial reaction to this Nathan work. I know we're a couple days late with the initia, whatever, But I want to get your thoughts because this really was a whirlwind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just wow.
Speaker 3: Like when I saw the notification when I was on my lunch at work, I was just like, wow. I didn't expect things to, you know, for him to come back to the CFL this quickly. I did expect him to come back, just given the fact he was really bouncing around the NFL the last couple of years. To come back in twenty twenty five, but not for this season, and to see him start the first week while he's back is a whole nother thing altogether. But I think it's in general, it was a great news obviously for the CFL. I think this is the single most marketable player that this league will probably ever have, just given the fact that he's a Canadian. He's an absolute stud at the position. Besides this game yesterday, but I think, you know, I'm just was really pleasantly surprised by that news. And like I said, I was even more shocked than he was starting the very first week.
Speaker 1: So we so we get out, we're seeing our family.
Speaker 2: We're out at the cabin by the lake, and you know, we got in the night before and I always go a little too heavy, kind of the first night of vacation, right might have a couple of extra glasses of wine or whatever. We're sitting by the campfire and I wake up. The next day, Dorothy wakes me up. She goes, we need to go to the store. We had forgot some stuff we're trying to get, you know, breakfastes. We need to go to the store right now. I pull up my phone. I see so I'm like, I'm a little delirious. I'm trying to get up. I see the Nathan work news. I see JJ McCarthy likely out for the season, and I'm like, what in God's earth is going on?
Speaker 1: I can't process this. I go get upstairs.
Speaker 2: I'm stuck in the house with nine people. Nobody cares about this at all. I'm like walking down the stairs. Ago, you guys don't understand probably the biggest story in a decade just happened here in the CFL, in terms of Nathan weren't coming back.
Speaker 1: Like that's cool.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you know, you guys, and it really took me forever, and there's been a lot of you know, we watched the games last night.
Speaker 1: Was really excited about that.
Speaker 2: You know, there's been a lot of criticism over Okay, was was Nathan started too soon? Like you said, he came in on Wednesday and three practices and what do we expect and what do we expected with Chad Kelly and all of that. But like I said to me, I viewed this as, oh wow, the team realizes this is make or break, right, this is the Gray Cup.
Speaker 1: We need to go do this. You know, we got to bring in Nathan.
Speaker 2: We're going to pay him eight hundred thousand dollars next year.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just crazy.
Speaker 2: And the marketing budgets, you know, we're not going to pay all that, but everything, and I thought, Okay, this team is really serious about winning, right. They realized we're hosting the Gray Cup. We have all these people and work aside, and I want to get your thoughts on his performance. But I posted my thoughts on Twitter last night because I got home. We watched half the game here and then I hadn't seen my mom in two weeks. We go over there, I'm like, do you have CBS Sports Network? And we pull it up. I'm watching the game. This is the same team, this is the same team, and it kills me to think that you would go out and make this work, right, you spend the money and the time and all this kind of stuff to bring him in. I wish Nathan Work could play defense. Can we get him on that side of the ball? Like, I don't understand how many times? Again, I don't know if this is there a Rick issue or a Ryan Phillips issue or whoever's issue. How many times do I need to see four guys hanging out with Brady Olavera unable to tackle him? How many times do I need to see BC defense leaving someone completely wide open? Like this is still the same team. You can put Nathan Work in there. I don't care if he would have three weeks to practice. That was only half the issue with this team. And it was just so frustrating to me because this is it's the same team, and I bought into this, like, oh, they're really serious about this.
Speaker 1: The same with the Mariners.
Speaker 2: Oh man, we signed for Randy rose Rain, like we're really serious about winning. Doesn't seem that way to me. Seems like they came out just as fat as they always do. First off, what was your thoughts on Nathan's performance? Because I think it left them to be desired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he looked like a guy that just got there this week. It doesn't matter what name it is. I think that, you know, in time, you'll obviously become the player that he was before leaving for the NFL. But you know, it just shows you that, like you do need time to practice with your receivers. You know, Winnipeg is a bad matchup for b C, regardless of when they played the last several years. And it's quite obvious that Winnipeg, despite the records going into this game. And we'll get into it later, but Winnipeg's kind of creeping up on them in the standings now all of a sudden, and you know, just Winnipeg just owns b C the last few years. So I don't know what BC needs to do to get around that. I think that I was talking to you last night. I think their defense has declined lined from the last couple of years. I think that they made a couple of interesting decisions in the off season, obviously some of them under their control. With Matthew Betts going to the NFL, and that looks like he may stay there with his performance this weekend. So yeah, I don't know what BC needs to do going forward. But uh yeah, I think that you know, it was a struggling performance from Nathan worked on Sunday.
Speaker 1: And you know, I think it was far hunted put out.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're selling all these tickets, we're opening up, we're going to add all this. It's going to be thirty thousand plus. And I had tweeted out, you know when people say that BC only cares about concerts, and I know they had that Fred. I don't even know who that guy was to play that, Like my brother could have done a juggling act at halftime for like I have no context for any of that or what that was. But you think that you get all these people back in like this is the time, we're getting all these like you know, we're undefeated at home, we got Nathan coming in, all this stuff and just to poop on all that goodwill is just in saying to me, and I cannot figure out, Yeah, the inability with this team to show up. You you know, you had the Winnipeg on the ropes. Now they've won the season series, right, isn't that the same with the Elks now where these pivotal West Division matchups. I just I don't if you can't show up at home with Nathan for BC. And you know, God blessed Nathan for taking the blend of everything and saying, Wow, this is my fall. Nathan doesn't play defense. This wasn't all Nathan's fault. I mean, BC couldn't stop a nose. But how many times does Winnipeg need to walk the ball down the field? Like I said, olivera unable to be tackled. I saw this last year in the West Division Final. I saw this when they lost. It was that in October last year, Like I've seen this every time. It's just I just can't figure out why this team is unable to show up at big moments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think another thing is their offensive line just cannot compete in these moments. And I think that Winnipeg is one thing with them. They've shown the last couple of weeks they're starting to look like that old Winnipeg Blue Baumber's defense with the you know what, Jefferson really starting to pick things up as we get towards the second half of the season. So I think that's such a huge thing for the Blue Bombers and a scary thing for the rest of the CFL. But yeah, BC's offensive line a major weakness for years now. I think the last couple of years they were a little bit better. But you know, when it comes to these matchups against Winnipeg, they just can't run the ball and they cannot protect the passer and it doesn't matter who's in there. Vernon Adams obviously got shadowed a few weeks ago against the Blue Bombers as well. So, like I said, I don't know what the Bombers are, so the Lions should do to get over this hump.
Speaker 2: And I mean and it was staying near a shut out anyway. I mean, I know they had that garbage time touchdown at the end eighth. It wasn't even in the game ride. It was that Chase Brice whatever. Like I don't even the guys in the group, oh this guy on the subb I don't. That's outside of my purview of me. You know the long history of that. But you know, I mean, you were held to a field goal for three and a half quarters here. I just can't figure out as similar that lived through the Mariners here having a ten game lead, blowing that ten game lead and now being four games behind the Astros going into tonight.
Speaker 1: I mean, this was your chance.
Speaker 2: BC's back to five hundred, right, Winnipeg's one game behind four and six.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 2: You don't have that many opportunities here, and I just can't figure out Nathan Wurk or anything aside that it just seemed like this team had no energy showing into it. And they, like they always say the meme now like you know, somehow Palpa team returned like Winnipeg's back like they never lost, and it's it's frustrating as someone that was hoping, you know, God blessed Saskatchewan here for kind of holding that out, but as someone that was hoping to see, you know, kind of a difference in the West Division. So disappointed with this and just really disappointed that they let them get back in because they really could have shut the door and moved on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and it's gonna get wild. As you see the standings here, It's it's getting really close from top to bottom. I think it's really becoming anybody's ballgame the second half of the season. So I'm really excited for that. I think that uh, you know, BC still has a chance to write the ship and we'll see how they respond next week. I think who do they play next week? Outawa? I think I think play Autawa back to back because I think they play them in Victoria the week after that. So really pivotal matchups coming up against Outawa and Ottawa all of a sudden has the second best record in the CFL, So that's no easy games either. So I think it's gonna be very interesting to see how BC responds from this. Like I said, I think Nathan will be better. You know, we will expecting to see him. I will expect him to be better going forward. But I think that these performances against Whipeg, the physicalities, just not being able to match them from a physical standpoint despite their offseason changes is very disappointing. And it's just interesting how it mirrors last year because I think BC goes into Winnipeg early in the season last year, beats them and everybody thinks, oh, it's Beast's year to kind of take the West, and then they lose the rest of the season series. So I mean, it's it's worth noting that happened last year as well.
Speaker 2: And the real quick yeah on the the touchdown Victoria, right, because you had brought that up here, you know, coming up the week after. I remember back when uh, you know that was announced and we have a we have a big wedding that next day on the first labor Labor day weekends. That was really tough for me, and that, like I think I got to fly out of town the day after.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I for a long time had lamented, oh man, this would be really nice to go see this, you know, go there and say, I don't want to pay to go see this team.
Speaker 1: Right now at all.
Speaker 3: I tweeted last night.
Speaker 2: I said, imagine you're one of the people that paid to see this and like you said, a total mirror example, same thing as last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looking strong. They come back.
Speaker 2: And the scary thing about it is, so they're paying Nathan what to fifty I think this year, you know the marketing budget. However, we want to stretch all that. They got six hundred grand in this kid. The next two years. I know he is going to be better. I'm not like, I really don't even and care that he came in and played sloppy and some of his reads everything like that doesn't bother me. It's everything else around it. It's receivers being unable to catch the ball. It's people being able to tackle, it's being able to able to stop the run. And when you can't do that now, I don't know how you're gonna do that next year when you're paying Nathan work eight hundred thousand dollars. I don't know how you're gonna do that the next year. I already saw tweets out, you know, when they announced all the Nathan stuff and like what did they deal with Vernon? And you know, Rick Campbell, Wow, that's a good problem to have, and we'll figure that out whatever.
Speaker 1: But if you're if you.
Speaker 2: Can't win, like I just, I don't know how we're spected to fix this. And we can't do it this year, how we're gonna do it the next two years when we're paying this kid even more money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. I think that when you look at it, I think they'll never have as deep of a team as they had a couple of years ago when Nathan was here. I think, you know, when he was making like, what was it, seventy five K and they were able to really build the rest of the roster around him and have all those playmakers. They still have a really good receiving corps, but they do, uh don't have some of the guys that they used to have, like dominic rhymes for example. So I mean, I think it's not just that, Like I said, the defense has taken a step back the last couple of years, got a little older in a few spots, a little bit different in a few spots. So I mean, this is not the same team. And like I said, they're a five team right now. They had a really good start to the season, it looked like, but the last few weeks I think they've lost three in a row now, so it's it's been tough sletting for the BC Lions. And with Ottawa playing how they are right now, I mean it could be a five game losing streak for BC, who knows.
Speaker 2: And they've lost four in the row because they lost to Calgary before the bye week, so they haven't won a game since Week six. I mean, they haven't won the game since. Yeah, last question, because I get I don't I don't want this to be a totally rag on the Lions the whole time, but you know, I posted some of my stuff last night and everything else, but the I'm curious your thoughts on the contract here for Nathan because like I said, you know, you couldn't win with him on the chief and now you want to win with him on the defensive.
Speaker 1: It's like we see in the NFL all the time. You know, Okay, the Bengals get to the.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl and then we're gonna pay Roe Burrow like a super Bowl winning quarterback when we didn't even win in the first place.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's the same with the Eagles. We see that as the same. I mean, geez, you know, Trevor Lawrence. I mean, look at all the guys that are getting paid to all these guys that you know you're paying these guys. You pay Nathan like he's won three, you know, three great cups coming in here, were paying eight hundred thousand. Thoughts on that because it's six hundred on the books, right, and then another two hundred whatever in the marketing. Thoughts on that just in terms of that's a major contract.
Speaker 3: I think that's just the unfortunate reality of having a star quarterback. And like I said, I think that because of who he is and being perhaps the most marketable player the team and the league have ever had, I think that they had to give him this contract. They were not going to let him go to another team, even though he definitely could up. He wanted to be in BC and so they were gonna give him that contract and figure out the rest later. So and I think another part of leverage he has an this is that he counts as one of your Canadian starters as well. And we always know from watching the contracts given out every year during free agency, that Canadian starter always gets paid a little bit extra of a premium because you know, it really helps your flexibility on the rest of the roster. So I think, you know, I was kind of expecting Nathan to really break the bank. Honestly, I thought maybe they would even give him a little bit more than this. I thought that he was going to be able to really leverage CFL teams into giving him a massive contract when he came back to the CFL, and rightfully so, with the performance he had before going to the NFL. So those are just my thoughts on Rourke.
Speaker 2: And with his marketing stuff, because I know that I've seen a lot of you know, criticisms, positive and negative kind of whatever, and like it's something they added in right with the CBA where they can roll.
Speaker 1: You gotta do so.
Speaker 2: Many media appearances will pay you. Is that just Amar Doman?
Speaker 1: Is he just writing?
Speaker 2: I mean, is that just coming out of him and kind of circumventing all of that. Is that you're understanding of how that works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm pretty sure. It's just up to the ownership of every given team to spend as much as they want on that. I think they were saying the Three Diction podcast that they are planning to uh are working on closing the loophole of that, maybe putting a cap on how much they can spend for marketing money. But right now, that's kind of how it is.
Speaker 1: I'm fine with it.
Speaker 2: I think it's better for the league, right and I think, uh, I remember when we you know, we had them aar on years ago, and then after we got done, I looked up like what is some Mar Domans network and I was like, oh my god, like this is you know, so you know, Amar, some of these guys, Larry Thompson kind of all that. You know, we got you know, we got money to go around here. But again, to concise it around, you could have the greatest quarterback in the role, but if you can't tackle anybody, it doesn't make a difference and you're going to give up you know.
Speaker 1: All these points.
Speaker 2: Anyway, any other thoughts, first off on the Lion's performance, and then we can talk winnip big anything else specifically from that game, because then we'll probably do Chad Kelly because the argoes were off, and then we'll kind of get into everything else because we'll talk Elks and all that.
Speaker 3: No, not too many extra thoughts, just that it was really ugly from a BC standpoint, Winnipeg.
Speaker 2: You know, like I said, regaining power here, Kolara is still not great. I thought it was interesting Winnipeg tweeted that after the game. And you know, in context of like their great defense, like zero touchdowns, you know, two interceptions forever. I'm like, Kolearo's has five passing touchdowns during the season. I don't know if I would Let's you know, let's let's be fair here. I don't know if Koleos is having quite the MP caliber season as well. But uh, I don't know, like you said, Winnipeg defense good enough to carry them?
Speaker 1: Are they back fully? Do you need to see more from them?
Speaker 2: I guess how do you kind of gauge them here in terms of the West Division?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm with you. I think Klara's definitely is still not all the way back to what we've seen the past couple of years from him. So I think if they are going to make a run or in terms of winning the West Division this year, whether that's finishing first in the regular season or ultimately going on and running the playoffs, I think it's gonna have to be, you know, a defensive led team with Bray Alavera like really turning into that twenty twenty three MP level Brady Allavera. I think that is really the key, and I think you're starting to see elements of that. You got Kenny Lawler back in this game, so that definitely helps clear us get better. I think he definitely has upticked his production the last couple of weeks, so that's definitely good to see. But like I said, it's not really that MP caliber Zach clearis that we've been used to seeing ever since he arrived in Winnipeg. So like I said, I think it's going to have to be more of a defensive story in Winnipeg. And they're really really playing well right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kenny Lawler looks great coming back.
Speaker 2: It just kills me, like I said, every time a Winnipeg receiver coutchses this wall wide open and running down, I'm like that was supposed to be, you know, and I think it was when BC got blown.
Speaker 1: Now you know when it be like, oh the Donut Boys you're back.
Speaker 3: Ha ha.
Speaker 2: You know what happens that they got high in their supply last year and you know they had to buy and coming out.
Speaker 1: I don't know when.
Speaker 2: VC's off again here to kind of figure out the regroup. Like you said, they're going to the Ottawa and then hold it hosting that back to back, and then they're going to Montreal. We'll talk through Montreal as well. I mean there's they don't get a week off to week sixteen here, then they got a host Toronto. I mean, this is this is really put up a shut up. Let's talk to let's talk about the Chad Kelly of it all. If we don't need to go super deep die, but just he's back and they're going to be playing here coming up hosting Saskatchewan. That should be a really exciting game here. Thoughts on that. I know he had to meet with Randy and.
Speaker 1: Then they had to Okay, he's.
Speaker 2: Kind of like a one, one strike and you're out kind of deal here? What do you make here him rejoining Toronto and how are they in the standings here?
Speaker 1: You know, five and four.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they can go on the feet of the rest of the way here, But what do you make of this whole check Kelly coming back.
Speaker 3: Well, ignoring all the obviously personal questions around Kelly and what he did or didn't do, you know, this definitely makes the Argos a scary football team down the stretch. And I think that considering their quarterback play thus far, like Camraon, Duke's had a couple of really good games to start the season and then really fell off a cliff and then Nick arbackle got into a couple of games. For them to be still sitting at five and four, that is pretty damn remarkable and it really shows you, especially given all the players that they lost in the offseason, because this team got gutted in free agency, this is a really talented football team. And if they can you know, hit the ground running with Chad Kelly at quarterback again, this could be, you know, a team that goes on a great Cup run this year. I really believe that and you know, hoping not to see that as a TI Cats fan, but I think that the reality is this team was sixteen and three including playoffs last year with Chad Kelly as starter. That's fair very hard to ignore.
Speaker 2: Well, like you said, with the whole Nathan workover all, two excuse me, It'll be curious, you know, doesn't need a couple of weeks to kind of get back into it because Nathan was in I don't know how much that effects, you know, he was going through his mentality right and getting cut and getting signed and doing the preseason and doing the.
Speaker 1: Kind of that.
Speaker 2: He didn't look great for the Falcons in the preseason. I know Chad's been kind of sitting right. I know he's been doing some light team drills here lately, but he's been pretty disconnected right as far as my understanding this, I'll be curious, you know, Nathan kind of playing American preseason football doing whatever that looks like versus Chad here, that's maybe just kind of been not on the couch, but you know, not certainly not playing in the preseason game with the Falcons a week before this would be interesting to see you does he have a harder time coming back up here than Nathan did, because you would think if if Nathan struggling here week one, coming into kind of adapting, I think Chad's gonna take a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny you say that because I just read a quote this afternoon from Ryan did. What he's saying that the way that Nathan Urke played last night, just given the fact he played, you know, five days after or so after he signed with BC, really it affects his thinking going into Thursday against Saskatchewan with Chad Kelly. I think that he had something about maybe using a two quarterback system on Thursday just kind of eased Chad Kelly back into it. But like you said, he hasn't seen live bullets in a long time, all the way back to that horrible East Final that he you know, threw several interceptions in. So I think it should be interesting to see how he plays out of the gate. I think that, like I said, I think the plan might be to ease him back into it, but we'll have to see what the argos do and how child Chad Kelly looks in his return.
Speaker 2: Well, and I'm just pulling up the game tracker here so we can get to it after, but the yeah, Saskatchewan defense is pretty scary right now with coin Mace.
Speaker 1: I mean I think that this is kind of you know, right, I think that this yeah, to.
Speaker 2: Come in and you're not playing against the BC lines defense, I mean, you're playing against a team that actually knows how to get after the quarterback and tackle and.
Speaker 1: Do everything else. So uh, yeah, I'm really curious.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think Dinwitty, I trust Dinwitty right getting kind of chat up to speed a little bit more than maybe I do Rick with all of that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm so out umri campbo.
Speaker 2: Right now, I can't even stand up, Like I don't want to get anymore in about everything.
Speaker 1: But I'm really having a hard time with it.
Speaker 2: Like I think Dinwitty, yeah, can maybe read that a little bit better going in than Nathan.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, this is incredible.
Speaker 2: You know, he said ten completions and whatever practice and he looks great and he comes into the game and I mean, I don't even where I'd have to even pull up with the stats were, but he did not. Nathan did not have a tremendous stat line here coming out of the game.
Speaker 1: What was just cur What was.
Speaker 2: His uh yeah, eight of twenty five six to two interceptions.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, I you know.
Speaker 2: Certainly not you know, let me chase here six to six. Maybe we need to see maybe we need to see chasing action here. Okay, we've done all right, So we've done all that. Let's talk Larry Thompson, the Elex and I wanted to talk about this homicide. I saw here on YouTube this morning when I was watching the Edminton Elks ty Cats game.
Speaker 1: But Larry Thompson, owner seems excited, right? Is this good? It doesn't you certainly no.
Speaker 2: Victor and I know Victor wasn't the owner, but certainly no Victor queed kind of taking over the world here. It seems like a good old boy Edmonton Elk's season ticket holder. It's got money at my what's your read of the situation is that kind of Do I have a good handle?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: My impressions of watching that the opening press conference is that he's not the best like public speaker or anything like that. But ultimately, at the end of the day, who cares, right if if he's going to financially support the team and you know, be a stable owner that you know, uh, doesn't do the whole h. David Stern David Stern with uh, Gary scary?
Speaker 1: Oh, Gary with it? Oh you're talking to I.
Speaker 3: Started thinking of the NBA commissioner. But uh, but yeah, as long as he's not, you know, an unstable owner that you know, uh, provides a distraction of the team and can financially support this team and give it the reinvestment that it needs. I think that's the important part. And I think another part of the conversation I saw some people bringing up was his his age. But I think that he's only like sixty five or something like that. A lot of people thought he older than that. I think the worry there is that it might most thing like Sid Spiegel and Gary Stern situation, where there's not really a succession if something happens there. So I've heard that the family is very like committed to uh, you know, potentially you know, taking the team over after I mean assuming if something that did something terrible did happen with Larry Thompson. So I think that I'm not too concerned about it. I think that I'm glad the Elks have the financial looking now and hopefully things will get better and in the short term in Edmonton's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, he's six.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like Benjamin Button, Like people say I'm twelve. But I look at the like you no, he does.
Speaker 1: He looks.
Speaker 2: I mean like, oh my god, I didn't know how I hadn't. We've been a time I didn't have time to look up it. I'm trying to figure out, like what's his net worth and everything, just to kind of get a handle on it. But uh, yeah, he looks old, that's a rough sixty five. The whole Like they're using the double E logo, the rebranding to the ESX.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is I you got it right.
Speaker 2: I mean it's like I live through this with the Commanders all the time, and I mean they got they ask our people all the time. When you rebranded, we bring in Josh Harris, we get to do ownership. They're like, we're just trying to win football games. We don't care about that. I mean, I'm so over this. It could you could call him the you know, the circus clowns for all I care at this point. But thoughts on that is I just feel like it's you can't revert back at this point.
Speaker 1: I just curious your thoughts.
Speaker 3: I think it would be a massive mistake. Frankly, I think it would be a disaster if they were just go back to the old name or even change the name again. I think that Elks is fine. I think that yes, it might not be the most intimidating or deal name for a pro sports team in the world, but ultimately, this is the Edmonton football franchise. Call it whatever you want. The people that want to call it Eskimos, they can call it whatever they want. That's still a football franchise, ce up guys that plays in Edmonton. And ultimately, people blaming the name change for the poor results and the decline and attendance, I think it's just frankly ridiculous because the attendance was declining before, even when they were the Eskimos, and you know, the poor performance of the team was already starting to show, not to the degree it has since COVID. But I think at the end of the day, you know, going back to the old name would be a big mistake in my opinion, because it would really just be kind of a step backwards I think for the league.
Speaker 2: I will say, and because I watch a lot of this to know on YouTube having watched the BC Lions game yesterday. Here before I go, we need a new animation like the whole with like the Blue Bombers and like the Tiger and the like.
Speaker 1: We need to revamp all that.
Speaker 2: If we can get Larry can donate some money to the cause or a mar whatever, like I don't care what you call the ELX, but you got it. That whole opening animation just needs to be that looks like it came out from nine to ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Like we gotta we gotta figure that out.
Speaker 2: Let's get to So you were at this game, so speaking of Edmonton, and we'll talk to Chris Jones and kind of all that. This was a bizarre game, right because I well, first off, you were there, How was the game from your perspective? Because this this I didn't realize this was such an assweeping until I really sat down this morning.
Speaker 3: Oh, this was an awful football game from a tie Cats perspective. This game, you know, first of all, I mean just even beyond the football game itself, just the first play from scrimmage, Luther takes a very I would say even a dirty hit from I forget who the Elks defender was but needed medical attention. It was really serious situation. You saw that. You know, both teams were kind of huddled around, uh you know, uh Hakunabanu in that situation, and uh, you know, everybody was very concerned. Luckily he's all right, but we didn't know that at the time. And then there was a bit of a delay because I didn't know this, but the ambulance cannot leave the stadium until another ambulance comes, and so there was a bit of delay in that. I think it took about twenty minutes for another ambulance to come and and and show up and be ready to be at the game. So you know, that was a bizarre start to the game. Glad kunavon who's all right? And then once the game gets restarted, Taylor Powell immediately gets hurt concustan. I think he had to go to the hospital as well, but he's all right as well. So strangely enough, we got to see bo Levi Mitchell and it didn't go so well for the tie Cats in this game. It really was over by the end of the first quarter, and that's been the case far too often this year for the Tai Cats. Think back to the game against BC where it was I think it was fourteen to nothing before the ten minute mark of the first quarter. So you know, the tai Cats defense just been a struggle all season long for them, Probably the worst defense I've seen the CFL in a long time, at least in the last five years. I can't remember a team that's looked this poor defensively this bat and being out of position in so many different spots. The defensive lion can't get any pressure, the secondary is just so out of position, like I said, can't stop the run either. James Rankin had a field day against the Tai Cats defense in this one, so I believe it was thirty two to three at halftime. So yes, like I said, it was basically over very early in this game, and very frustrating as a Tai Cats fan just to see them show up like this at home against like what a lot of people thought was the worst team in the CFL, but quite clearly that is the Ti Cats right now. I think the ty Cats have earned that crown, that that much desired crown as the worst team in the CFL right now, and I don't think it's by evidence of this game is very close, right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they say, you know, if you if you're if you're at the poker table and you're looking around for the mark and you can't identify who the mark is, chances are to Yeah, if you're trying to figure out the worst team in the CFL spoiler ty Cans, it's probably you here.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I will say I'll take Rod Smith and his dad jokes over like Dustin Nielsen any day watching this games. He's like Dustin rank and really ranking up in the standings for the running back, Like I'll appreciate that.
Speaker 1: More than Oh my god, that's kind of all.
Speaker 2: But this was, Yeah, it was just so weird because, like we say, you know, you, I kind of had the processes turned the game on and like, oh yeah, okay, trade forward's hurt, right, it's Ribs, Okay, we're bring him a cloud back that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, okay we benched bo Levi. No one really knows why we've done that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Taylor Palace playing and then yeah, like you said, the best thing in the world, like, let's bench a starting quarterback and then have the backup immediately hurt that we got to go back to him. That's not going to be awkward at all. And then you even saw Harrison Frost here, who he rode the bench for the Sea Dragons in the XFL two years. I mean, he was with the Sea Dragons.
Speaker 1: I don't think he.
Speaker 2: Saw I don't believe he took a snap behind Dianiucci, but he was like our second third string quarterback there, so he even was playing the garbage time. Did they just give up on bow at that point? Did they just say, bo, you need to protect yourself.
Speaker 3: Well, To be honest, I think I actually had left by that point in the fourth quarter. I had my buddy. My buddy came out all the way up from Ottawa, and I was joking with him all week. I'm like, brought you all this way to see the two worst teams in the CFL go at it. But you know, so we ended up being out of there a little early. It was just really a disgusting performance. That's just really hard to see. And I usually never leave games early, but it was just too tough to watch at this point. It was just the fumbles were one thing that really stood out in this game. It seemed like the Tiger has had at least five fumbles in this game, that we're really just unferors. And I think, uh yeah, Like I said, I think the turnovers and the penalties. And I think that's what Scott Milanovitch said as well this week when or last week when he was talking heading into this game about what's defined their season to this point. It's turnovers and penalties. It's been a very sloppy and undisciplined team. And I think a lot of that obviously falls back on the coach, but at the end of the day, I think the players have a huge role to play in that as well.
Speaker 2: There was a game last year where Edmonton it was early in the season and Edmonton Oilers came into the crack and I think they were up three zero before Dorothy had even like gone to the restroom and gotten the wine then sat down and I, you know, I always want to leave and and you know, Dorothy or whoever, I know we paid a lot of money, but I won't spend any more money there.
Speaker 1: I won't buy any beer, I won't buy any food. I do it.
Speaker 2: I do a sity in hunger protest, so I don't I don't leave the game, but get any more of my money that night. You haven't earned any of that. The big news Chris Jones coming in. It's a defensive assistant Edmonton bottom out, so the tie Cats don't have.
Speaker 1: To pay him.
Speaker 3: That seems weird, right, it is it is, And on one hand, part of me just says it just adds to the circus and that this isn't gonna make anything better. But the other part of me says that it literally can't get any worse with how this defense been playing, and that Chris Jones, we know he can't be a head coach anymore. It's quite clear that he's been an awful head coach the last couple of stops in the CFL, going back to Saskatchewan and this obviously this previous stint in Edmonton, but he has been a successful defensive coordinator in this league, defensive play caller. But funny enough, last time he was a defensive coordinator defensive play caller before he was a head coach was in twenty twenty one with the Argos, and the last time he was on the field, Dane Evans went sixteen for sixteen in the second half and led the tie Cats to a great Cup. So not exactly a good lasting memory of Chris Jones being a defensive coordinator in recent years. But he does have a lot of experience. Milanovitch is very familiar with him from I believe his time in Toronto. So it should be interesting to see how it works out. But like I said, I think a lot of it in my mind just goes to adding to the circus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love Chris Jones as a person, right, and and I think that that's always misconstrued.
Speaker 1: That's the same thing with like Ray campbl or anything else.
Speaker 2: Like you know, you need to be able to separate kind of what they're doing on the field versus like the person.
Speaker 1: You know, Chris Jones was on what was that two years ago.
Speaker 2: And he was scouting talent down in the US and just the nicest, most giving guy with his time and walking around LA on the phone, went like, it's nothing against all that, but yeah, you come in here, like you said, I don't know if he if it could make it any worse. I was proud of my tweet when far Han said that because Edmonton had bought him out, he didn't need to seek permission to kind of apply for the position. And I said, well, as someone that's watched him coach a professional football team for the last three years, Like he doesn't have my permission here to be involved in this.
Speaker 1: I don't want to see him anymore.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I need to have him off.
Speaker 2: I think, well, you said it can't be any worse, but it does feel like it adds to the adding.
Speaker 1: To the circus here.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, man, the Ti Cats are just really atrocious, Like you're really bad and Bo isn't playing bad. I mean, how do you write, you know, the bench him for Taylor?
Speaker 1: Right, Taylor got hurt.
Speaker 2: We talked through all that, But like, because we haven't talked, were you surprised that Bo got the bench and then he comes back here? And I mean he plays fine. I mean, you know he had the two innion perception. You know, Bo has never been the problem like he was last year, at least the injuries surrounding the quarterback situation were last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was shocked when they pulled the twiggers so quickly in that game against Montreal a couple of weeks ago to put Awl in. But I do kind of see Scott Milanovitch's point. I think that what he pointed to was obviously the turnovers and bow even though he has thrown a lot of touchdowns this year, though a lot of them came again that one game against Edmonton. Like, I feel like Bo has thrown a lot of bad interceptions this year. He has been prone, and especially the last few weeks, I think it's really just reached a boiling point. And when it's not leading to victories despite how bad the defense is, I think a lot of that obviously falls back on the quarterback, and uh, you know the fact that he's an older quarterback and this team doesn't look like it's going anywhere this year. I don't know how many more games he's gonna start for the tie Cats this year. I mean, you know, we'll have to see what the hell status of Taylor Powell is and how much he plays down the stretch. But I don't, like I said, I don't think Bo has many starts left to tie Cats. Maybe starts the next couple of weeks. But once you start get to that you know, two and ten, two and eleven or three and eleven even or whatever the record is by you know, mid September, I think that's when you start trying to get into that evaluating player stage of your season. If you're a team like the ty Cats, and I think maybe you start to see guys like Harrison Frost and maybe even Talliatagavaloa come in and get their chance.
Speaker 2: That would be cool, See, that would be something to get excited about. Yeah, this, you know, And I think Bo just the team's ass and he's like, I gotta I gotta try, you know, I gotta make do whatever I can here and run and throw and get it in the tight windows and force the ball because you're like, I can't trust my defense, right, I don't. I don't know when the heck bringing you back on the field to get in here, like I just need to push down the field. The the other question, I guess, well, I guess I will say too with the whole because I was watching and of course now I'm we're back in the preseason here with the NFL and they're talking about the Jets. You know how Aaron Rodgers isn't playing in the preseason. He's going to be there at the game, you know, week one and last year and all that, and I just said, what did disaster about these quarterbacks? You know, because I don't expect anythink from Aaron Rodgers this year. He hasn't played football in the year. He is, you know, older than I am. And then with the same with Bo we talked all about this. I showed, I mean, good for him, he got paid and he's been a team player and he's been involved in all of that. But like, what a disaster by the tay Cats to spend the money on him. I mean, looking back now, I mean I think we were both pretty down on it when it happened, but you know, hindsight now it looks even worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you could safely add bow to even though he's played better statistically this year. I think you can add him to that list of you know, tay Cats quarterbacks that they brought in, like high profile quarterbacks that they brought in the last twenty years that just have not worked out. You go back to Casey Printers. He was kind of like, you know, an American Nathan rourkean away because he was a CFL mop He was an electric player and then went down played with Kansas City, I believe in the NFL, then came back and the tay Cats gave him a massive contract that I think he played two years with the tai Cats. They were miserable, didn't live up to it at all. Jason Moss also flopped as a member of the tai Cats because he was a guy that saw a lot of action with Ricky Ray there getting injured sometimes in Edmonton, and I believe Ricky Ray also had some time in the NFL, so Moss got a lot of playing time there. But after his time in Edmonton, he ends up in Hamilton for a year and that was an abject disaster. So, I mean, you know, the Tai Kits just have a history of this. They just fortunately with some franchises. I would compare them to the Chicago Bears because the Chicago Bears, hopefully with Caleb Williams it will work out for them, but historically they don't have a very good history with quarterbacks. Right. You look at the or you think of the greatest players in the history of the Chicago Bears, and much like the tay Cats, most of those players are defensive players. I think most of those legendary players you think of, Angelo Mosca, Rover Covington, I think those are the some of the biggest names you think of you think of the ty Cats all time, but you don't really think of those quarterbacks. It just hasn't come easy for this franchise and they just haven't been able to really develop many from within, and I think that kind of made a problem for them.
Speaker 2: The other thing here just talking and we'll touch on the other two games before we get out of here. But you know, McLeod, the McLeod stuff. Are we back to quarterback controversy here? Does trey Ford come back, you know, when he's the ribs and all that, because you know, you almost want McLeod to come in and just kind of not.
Speaker 1: Do great either.
Speaker 2: I feel like, you know, we're always trying to kind of defend the trey Ford thing here.
Speaker 1: What do you maybe that? And the Alex what do they do?
Speaker 3: I think tray Ford proved that he is the starting quarterback of this team. I think he really did really save their season. If you look at it, they're now a three and seven football team. They're right in the thick of things. If they can, you know, win these games against Calgary and the Labor Day game. When the Labor Day rematch, it's a whole new season for the Elks. And I think, uh, you know, when pray Ford gets back, he will be given the reins to do so. But it was good to see the Cloud play well in this game, even though it was against my team. I think he has shown played well in the fourth quarter of games a lot of the time. This year. You look at their first four weeks, I think it was all very close losses and they just did not play well down the stretch. He had, you know, a bad sack or a bad turnover at inopportune time. So, you know, I don't think McCloud has played terrible this year on the whole, but it was really good to see him play a very complete ball game in this game.
Speaker 2: All right, anything else from that one or do you want to come put that in the back of the arview mirror.
Speaker 3: Uh no, I think I think that's pretty much it from that one.
Speaker 1: All right. So we saw this this.
Speaker 2: You know, even last year, maybe you wouldn't think early in the season that this would have been but you know, this is two heavy hitters here, right, Saskatchewan host in Montreal. All here Davis Alexander playing for Cody. We had the whole command center thing here, the stepping out of the bounds. I missed the whole right in the fumble, and it wasn't the fumble and kind of all I missed, you know, it was that two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: I kind of missed that whole thing and all that.
Speaker 2: But now this, uh, first off thoughts on the command center, because that has really kind of been you know, what was it last year was the stats on the CFO page and kind of all that.
Speaker 1: This year, it seems like that's one of the prevailing storylines.
Speaker 2: H Davis Alexander was out of bounds, right, yeah, yeah, And for.
Speaker 3: Some reason they weren't showing that that second frame or that next frame of that play on the replay, but the command center definitely should have had access to that. I don't understand how that was ruled, you know, a touchdown still, but at the end of the day, I don't feel too bad for Saskatchwan, just given the fact that they had many opportunities to win this game and the fact that they left many points on the board just settling for field goals and then their kicker miss several I think it was Brett Law. There was three of seven and that's really the game right there. So don't feel too bad about them, But in terms of the command center. I think that, you know, a couple of weeks ago, I think they got the calls right in that Saskatchewan and Ottawa game that ended up in a tie. It was very close, and it was by the letter of the law. I don't think that should be a penalty. If you cut a defender and they roll into the quarterback's legs, I do not think that should be dropping the passer because obviously the defender can't really control where they're going when they get cut like that. But unfortunately that is the rule. So I think they got the call right there, and they think they got the past interference call right, the one that would have won Ottawa the game. It was it was very close, like I said, you know, but he was there had second early, so I think they got that right. But my problem with the command center is that, as someone that watches the CFL all the time, I still can't tell you exactly when the center can step into, you know, change plays, Like what authority do they have, Like Like I'm always like shocked when they when they step into make a ruling on a play. I'm like, I didn't know they could change that. So, as someone that watched the league so much. I don't even understand that, so I can imagine it'd be very confusing to fans that are watching the games, you know, on a relatively less less basis.
Speaker 2: Well, And it's kind of the thing I can Major League Baseball, where like some plays can be like some things can be reviewed and some things can. You never why why why can't we you know, why can't we review that?
Speaker 1: Whatever?
Speaker 2: You'll you'll know Tim kaeper a famous Outlets fan, but I was he wasn't out of bounce, so don't worry of course him the Outlets fan. He wasn't at the bounce, but uh, shout out here, I see this effort in the show James Letcher with the missfield goal TD return that was great and that was an epic shot. And then following that really and you just felt like you were living in the moment with all that, right, really feel like, okay, I'm you know, I got my Apple Vision pro like that's the kind of stuff like you want to watch on that, Like I literally feel like I'm on the field kind of flying over that. The Yeah, I forgot about the command center with the couple of the overtime game of kind of all of that stuff. In terms of the game itself, I had something else, but I'm kind of forgetting I was going to say here.
Speaker 1: This was a close one.
Speaker 2: Uh, Trevor Harris, everything else, Davis holding the four enough for Cody Bean out. Alolette's really just seemed like untouchable at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are a very very very well rounded team, and it feels like it feels like they don't have a weakness. They got good coaching and they have good quarterback depth. As it's been proven here. You know, they can run the ball. They can even though they didn't run the ball quite well in this game, they could still win even when they can't run the ball by you know, throwing to their various receivers. And they just added Austin mack back today. That's another big piece of news as well that we forgot to mention. So they've just been tremendously impressive this year. It's really been, you know, really impressive to see. I think that defensively, they're also just extremely talented. We really saw that down the stretch this year. I didn't know if that was going to be a sustainable aspect of this team this year, just given the fact that you know, usually teams that go on a defensive heat or they you know, they don't tend to carry that over as much into the next seasons as much as like a great offense would. But they have definitely proven me wrong in that regard, and the offense has looked even better than they have but honestly much better than they did last year. So just tremendously impressive. And I really like Davis Alexander. I mean, he hasn't been perfect in these starts that he's had, but you could tell when the games have gotten in doubt, he has made the place necessary when he has all the tools. Really like his mobility. He has good size, and he just has that you know kind of it factory's willing to put his body on the line and make play. And you know, I've just been really impressed with him. And I think in a couple of years or as soon as next year, who knows, he could be a real player in this league and could pete for a starting job somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had a couple of hits. He was running, like, man, you really need to like learn how to get down here. I mean it's good, but you do get that you get these young quarterbacks coming like I'm gonna run. You know again, you saw that, you know, Nathan holding the ball. We don't need to get on the Nathan thing again, but you know, like I don't know, you need to do a little bit more with that Saskatchewan here, you said, they drop what's Saskatchewan now?
Speaker 1: Five and four? Not quite as unstoppable as we thought.
Speaker 3: They got the and one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how do you feel about that? Yeah? The command center tie everything. How do you feel about this? Top in the West by what one point?
Speaker 3: Yep? You know, it's like I said, it's anybody's ball game now in the West. Just given the fact that what's transpired over the last couple of weeks, b C and Saskatchewan wrote really falling back to the pack. Saskatchewan, I think it was kind of expected, just giving the Trevor Harry injury. They did get a couple of wins in there, but you know, enough to stay on top of the West. But you know, really they needed him back and I think that's really important. And I thought he looked really good in this game. They just didn't really put the ball at the end zone as much as they needed to. And like I said, I think that really cost him the game because their kicker, just honestly, and Brett Lauler has usually been a reliable kicker, but he just he couldn't hit a broad side of a barn in this game. Really, So I think, you know, going forward, Saskatchwan should be a pretty good team. They've got a big test coming up on Thursday. I believe it's on the road in Toronto against Chad Kelly and the Argos, So it should be very interesting to see how they respond to that and if they can, you know, get enough wins here to stay on top and be in possession for home playoff game down the stretch. But I think, you know, I really like what I've seen from them in general. I think they've been competitive almost every week. Yes, they should have probably won that game against Saskatchwe but against the Outawa a few weeks ago, But at the end of the day, I think they just didn't do enough to really deserve to win that game. Because one thing that's really overshadowed by the tie in that one, going back to a couple of weeks ago, is the fact that it was like a three nothing game at the half, and it was a really really ugly game up until the last I don't know, seven of the fourth quarter, then both offenses kind of woke up. So I think being Trevor rs being back is just so important for this team, and it's just a whole different the way I view that team is just completely different with him at the helm.
Speaker 1: And then, yeah, like you said, I think that was the other thing I was going to say.
Speaker 2: You know, you can talk about the review and the command staring all you want, but you know, Brett Louthor makes his field goals.
Speaker 1: This is you know, it's a totally different thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any reasoning for that, I mean, what were they They were in Saskatchewan, right, Like, certainly he kind of knows the stadium and wing conditions all that, So I just seemed really kind of, like you said, uncharacteristic performance from him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: I don't really know how to explain it. I think that, like I said, he's been a very reliable kicker throughout his CFL career, but this will certainly kill his season average. I think he's right now at the bottom after the last week's games in terms of field goal percentage among the active kickers in the league. So We'll see how he responds to this. But just because it's one game, I'm not overly concerned as yet.
Speaker 2: All right, last thing here, Mozzoli comes back. Hasn't played football in the in the year, right, we lived through all that with the you.
Speaker 1: Know, the Garrett Marino kind of everything.
Speaker 2: Right last year, they you know, they win again, right with the Lewis Ward kickoff a right you know, walk off field goal and all of that. Mazzoli I saw his interview afterwards and crying and all that. Great to see him come back. Great to see him, you know, huge. I mean, he hadn't come back from injury twice. All this thoughts on that because I mean this was buried here so many days ago here earlier last week.
Speaker 1: But pretty cool story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's surprising he ended up being the game of the week. It ended up being a very entertaining game that went right down to the wire. I think Mizzoli looked very healthy. He looked like a guy that was just having fun out there. I think he was you know, had a couple of plays where he scrambled around. He had that one touchdown where they're inside the ten yard line where he really had to improvise and do a little shovel pass that ended up going to Deadman for the touchdowns. So it was really good to see him out there having fun again and doing alongside Braialen Addison, who's had his own injury troubles as well. I'm had a big role in this game. So for this game to end the way it did, I think it was just a really exciting game. I think that, you know, Calgary once again ends up on the wrong side of a very close game. They've been in almost every game this year, but Outawas has kind of been the opposite of that, where they've been able to you know, win out the squeak out these close games. So I think that, you know, it's been really impressive to see the Red Blacks have a resurgence this year, all of a sudden up the six wins, only two losses on the season, and one of those against Montfreal. So I think, you know, there's a team that can make some noise down the stretch here now that they you know, they have the confidence and they know that they they only need a few more wins really to guarantee themselves a playoff spot.
Speaker 2: It's interesting you say you thought it was the game of the week. I thought all the games were really exciting. I mean even the game last night with the Winnipeg and BC play like, I mean that at least was much watched television just because like, oh my god, like this is just you know it as your train Rik here, Yeah, I saw Morley Scott tweet out today.
Speaker 1: You know it is the West Division, the new East Division, you.
Speaker 2: Know where it's kind of a bunch of mid teams and not a lot of separation. But yeah, what a world with with Ottawa here sitting at second in the East. They gotta feel great about that. Do we ride Mazzoli? Now, what's Drew Brown situation? Because you know Mizzola's I think he's transitioning to be more of a mentor, right. I think they were talking during the broadcast, and he wants to get into coaching after this. He wants to be involved and obviously he knows his time is limit just because of age, of injuries and all that. But what do you think they make there? And if nothing else, him being around the team has to be great in terms of leadership and chemistry and kind of all of that stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, I think what you know, Mizzoli's experience allows them to do is not rush Drew Brown back. But I think when Drew Brown is ready to return, they have to give him the job because I think, you know, he did get this team too, what was it like five and two or something like that by the time he got hurt. So I think he's a guy that you can build around. I think he's shown enough to for them to really turn to him going forward. And I think Mazzoli just given the fact of his health history, I think they would be wise to really ride him much farther. I think, you know, in the short term, I think he's a great option. He's a guy that's really had experience, especially within that offense because one thing that hasn't only been talked about as much is that Tommy Condell is the offensive coordinator in Ottawa and obviously Mizzoli had a lot of success in that scheme going back to his time with him, and so I think, you know, it was a really good performance and was only really happy to see him back out there. But I think Drew Brown is it's still his team going forward because he's gotten them to where they are at this point of the season.
Speaker 2: But think about all the way even last year with the crumb sanity of it all and like no, no quarterback really and now they've got you was only kind of like you said, can ride kind of be be that calming presence here we get jew Brown back, he's great. You know, we're kind of seeing this influx now with the trey Ford nave been coming back.
Speaker 1: I think jam Olin was tweeting out.
Speaker 2: You know what if you get Curtis in the CFL here in a couple of years, Curtis work like you really could kind of see this this influx that we need as Bo kind of transitions out and I think Trevor Harris will kind of fine, you know, find this way out here.
Speaker 1: Uh. I think we did good today. A lot of news. I think we went through. It wasn't too negative.
Speaker 2: Like I said, we'll probably be off for the other two weeks and I think we'll probably.
Speaker 1: Be riding ryding good there.
Speaker 2: So I think the September ninth, I think we'll go off through all that and we'll figure it out. But in the meantime, I'm always around Jason anything else. I appreciate you the flexibilities back and forth, but this was gonna kind of stop down today and do.
Speaker 1: A kind of a big recap of everything.
Speaker 3: No, really big time. As always, I always enjoy talking CFL football. I mean, I'm not uploading on the channel recently, but it's always good to get together and do these shows on a weekly basis and talk some CFL football because I think it's been a really exciting season.
Speaker 1: It has been. I really enjoyed, like I said, being able to watch everything.
Speaker 2: We'll get back in and then once the UFL stuff kicks up here in the fall, we'll call it. We'll start doing the Friday episodes again. But right now, this is perfect. This is kind of all all the schedule allows for about Jason and I, so we appreciate it. Like I said, leg and subscribe. I will see you guys here in a couple of weeks, and Abdul here send me a DM.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to job postings.
Speaker 2: But send me that that. We don't have time for that today, but send me DM. We'll get to all that. We'll see you guys next time. Next thus times