Speaker 1: Hey, it's Neil Savedra.
Speaker 2: You're listening to KFI EM six forty The four Report on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Welcome back to the four Report. I'm Neil Savager. This is KFI Blah blah blah. You got all those the technical information out, like know who we are the show we celebrate food, all of that. Well, I try and make this show a place where we can all, you know, have a good time, maybe learn something, get excited about food, get hungry about food. But I still want it to be a voice of people that don't have the opportunity to come on all the time or to talk about their restaurants and to remind you about them. And I'm just like you, I forget, I forget or you know, I'm I'm like a chef in the way that when I'm cooking for someone else, I love cooking, and then when I cook for myself it's a it's half a baloney sandwich. I just grab it and go back to what I was doing. And I know that we do that and we don't always go out to eat, and it can be expensive, but I just want to be a voice to people that don't have it. Sometimes and there's a lot going on in Alta Dina right now still. So you got five months after the eat and fire, it just tore through alt the Dina. I mean they are still trying to figure things out. I have friends that live out in that area, and it is it's still a mess, but local restaurants are pulling themselves up by the bootstraps and starting to reopen now. Kayla and I have been talking about doing a broadcast out there, and I think we'll try and set something up that we can be out there and remind people of these businesses. Maybe a central location, not just at one restaurant, but maybe a central location where we can get every restaurant plopping by where it's more.
Speaker 1: Convenient than them having to come out to us.
Speaker 2: They've been owned by longtime residents and they're not just trying to recover under this not physically deep emotional stuff going on, but financial crisises that is. It's surreal. I can't imagine it being anything else but surreal. For these folks. It's threatening their survival. I can't put my I can't put my thinking cap on and try and understand what it's like to lose a home or a business or any of these things and then have to try and you know, pick these pieces up. So a lot of them are displaced and they need our help beaten fire. It was raging through January. I was on the air quite a bit here in Los Angeles on KFI, destroying more than nine thousand structures, took eighteen lives and left thousands displaced. It's a very tight knit community. If you haven't been there to alta Dina historically significant lot of great homes and stories that come out of there in the foothills of Los Angeles County, and it disrupted everything. So locals still scattered, are some unable to return. But restaurants like Perry's, joint El, Patron Prime Pizza, Maya Brene, Woond Kitchen, Highlight Coffee, they're fighting to stay afloat and they don't have their core customer base, you know, the everyday folk that go in there, because those people have been displaced. So as just you know, only a handful of businesses have reopened, and some of them are you know, helping, you know, recovery workers, serving, you know, like Perry's, join Is is taking care of people that are out there working. But that's gonna that's short term. That's gonna change local evening crowds. They're not around Berne. It's fine dining spot open right before the fire. They may not even reopen soon. They're trying to figure out how they're going to do this. And if they reopen, if you're only serving twenty people a night, you can't pull that off. Maya Ti Restaurant reopened May twenty seventh. Wound Kitchen, just south of Altda dina Or seeking a twenty percent drop or seeing rather a twenty percent drop in business, relying on delivery services to fill the gap. Prime Pizza reopened early and has become a hub for workers. But the co owner, the co owner, Zach Fishman, he warns that local support is waning and it's it's dire out there. So what are these businesses in Altadena need now? It's they don't need charity. They're not asking for charity at Lea's not the ones that I've been seeing. What I see is they're asking for customers. These businesses survived, but survival only gets to the too point one of living again, right, It only gets you It's like I survived this massive situation and all that does is get me back to the starting line. So the message coming out of Altadena in the business community is clear, it's open for business, and now's the time to show up. Don't wait for everything to be open again, because it's opening slowly. It's a massive roller coaster of emotions for people trying to kind of revive their dream and make things run again. It's a unique place. Artists, communicators, black families, white families, anyone seeking something more grounded than the basic hustle and bustle of la went there to raise families, creatives. You go back to the early days of imagineers for Disney. A lot of Disney folks worked or lived in that area because it was close to you know, Glendale and the original Disney offices and all of those things. And there is not only the cultural of having a large group of black families in that area, but you're talking about people not only starting family but businesses. And they're just saying, hey, dine in or take out. Consider Altadena restaurant. Make it a pizza night there at Prime. Try a comforting thie meal from my Maybe it's me, m i ya, I'm not familiar. Grab a stacked sandwich from Perry's Joint and spread the word. That's what I'm trying to do here. And if you can't go or you don't have the opportunities, you hear someone say, man, yeah, we're thinking of going out tonight. Say hey, have you looked at any of the places in outa Dina and the thing that I love is there, Like, don't give us pity. They want patronage and the fact that you know, if you can't visit, you know, maybe check their website, see if they have gift cards, see if they have merchandise, t shirts, whatever to be purchased, share their stuff on social media, and they really are like it's not about charity, it's not about sympathy. It's about visiting their business, giving their business a try. So something to think about during these times. Five months after the fact, the good folks of Altadena is still scraping by as things are not anywhere close to normal. And if they're opening up their businesses, they're just going to close again if nobody goes and enjoys them. So something to think about, indeed, with Altadena, and we continue to send love to those folks who are putting their lives back together and their businesses, and Caitlin and I will figure out a time to get out there do a broadcast somewhere in the center of it all, and then we can have all of them on and pitch.
Speaker 1: All of that. That would be a good thing.
Speaker 3: Indeed, you're listening to The Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: I hope you're enjoying family and friends. If you're by a body of water, God bless you, that's the place to be. But today is going to be a hot one and it's a nice weather, but it is outdoor weather, and if you are outdoors, please im vibe with water. I know it's fun to have booze on a hot day by the grill, but just pace yourself, man, because you can get plastered very quick and being near a seven hundred degree open flame is not the best place to get blitzed at. So I've been talking about Zelman's for a long time, and I'm obviously a big fan. Why I tell you about them? And I asked ant I name my buddy Anthony Raisin, the chief executive officer and the creator of Zelmans, to pop on because I keep being asked everywhere I go. Just moments ago, not made up. Robin, my board op came in and says, do you having an a Spearment? I said, I only got one pack. I said, I only got one pack. They were limited and you know, hopefully they're going to be you know, forever. But anyways, how you doing, brother.
Speaker 4: I'm great, Neil, thank you for having me on again. And has always loved talking to you and loved talking to your listeners.
Speaker 2: So the Spearment, they're flying off the shelves as they say, what's been the feedback? Because people keep asking me? And I said, well, they're a little sweeter, it's more subtle. But normally I just reach into my bag and I hand somebody a pack. But I only had the one pack of spearment because this is a new item. How are people responding to them?
Speaker 5: Neil?
Speaker 4: People are absolutely loving the Spearman. You know, we listen to our customers. We get a lot of feedback. We have thousands of five star reviews on our website, and I encourage listeners to go to the website and check out the reviews because those are real people, a lot of them. And when I say a lot, a lot of them are KFI and four report listeners, and they give us the feedback. We've had people calling and begging to buy ten twenty thirty packs of the spearminth They you know, lifelong Zelman's customers, and they say they love the powerful Mint, but they prefer the spearmint, to the point that by the end of today and probably by the end of the show, we're going to be in a sellout. And that's not sales talk. I do not have a pack of spearmint anymore. We had a few packs of which I gave you some. I gave a pack to Bill Handle, I kept one for myself and said, let's see how the cells. And it's been phenomenal. We have put in another production run to make spearmint a regular flavor for Zelmonds, but because of the quality and the way we use the finest ingredients, we are not going to see spearmen for at least another ninety days. So those of you that have spearmint, cherish it. Those of you that are thinking about ordering it, grab it today before it's all over. By the end of the show, there will be no more spearmant left.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It just really people think I'm joking when I say, no, I don't even have MOMMI.
Speaker 1: The only spear box I have I have at home. I have. I have a couple of tons. I have a couple of.
Speaker 4: Loose capsules that I can share with you if you meet me in the dark alley. But as far as PACs go, no, that's that everything went to the warehouse so that we can ship them out to the listeners as soon as they place their order. So orders from today will go out on Monday, and they will be the last speerm orders for at least another niney days.
Speaker 1: You know, I gave I did this thing.
Speaker 2: I think I've told you before, but I did this thing where I keep at least an extra whole pack on me or two.
Speaker 1: And when I'm out, you know, in.
Speaker 2: The wild, shopping, grocery shopping, or going with my family.
Speaker 1: It happens a lot at Disneyland.
Speaker 2: Strangely enough, I'll be at Disneyland and I'll get stopped by a listener and they say hello, and to thank them and encourage people to say hi, because I appreciate it, I give them a pack of Selmens. And it's happened the last couple of times I'm at Disneyland, I go, I reach and someone I was it had happened more than once. I had to reach in and give them the last, you know, half pack. My own, my own stash. But I encourage people if you see me out, say hello, and don't be afraid to ask if I have a mom on me, they're yours because I believe in the product so much and I know that you'll be a huge fan of them. And now people show me their packs when I meet them. They go, hey, I've got them on me right now. But I it's special, it's something different.
Speaker 4: It is special. Today I went out with friends for lunch and I pulled out those almonds and had someone pass them around the table, and someone at the next table reached over and said, hey, I hear those on KFI all the time. So the guy sitting next to me and said, well, he's the owner of the company. And you know, it's wonderful when when you're out for lunch and a stranger turns around and says, hey, I got those from KFI radio, which is you know, it's lovely together that we were making great inroads, but most importantly, we're helping people get the confidence to eat what they want. You don't have to be worried about does it have garlic, doesn't have onion. You're going to leave an after taste. Literally, go out there, enjoy the great food that you love, and just remember to take those elements. There are people that loves almonds once they've had a couple coffee. They are people who loves almonds once they've been out and you know, eating street tuckers fulled with onions and all the other good stuff that goes on them. Whatever your fancy. Bad breath is natural. Late up in the morning with bad breath throughout the day, we get bad breath. And our solution is natural. We use natural parsley seed oil, which I'm sure everyone, as your listeners knows. When I bump into people, they tell me what's in the product, which is amazing. Nobody knows what's in most of the products they use, but you talk to the elements, they go, oh, that's the one with the partly seed oil inside. So it's great that people listen to the message and love the product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's very easy to stand behind it myself too. And you know, Robin, my board operator, she just lifted hers and shook hers out. I let people know that it's something that's on me all the time for a reason because I believe in it, and I appreciate that that it's a family owned company, that this is a bit of a multi generational passion now that has been successful because it does exactly what you say it's going to do, and that makes me look better as I tell people about it all the time. But I wanted you to come on and say hi to everybody and also remind them that that the Spearmint is isn't a marketing ploy. It was something you got from them. People wanted it. You did a test order. That test order is coming to an end today and then it's, like you said, going to be a couple three months before they become a permanent part of the Zelman's lineup. So again, you can simply go to Zelman's dot com slash fork and you can get a free pack of the Spearmint with a purchase of three or more of the original Peppermint, which is fantastic as well. Go to zelmans dot com slash fork. But you got to do it today because this was just a limited test run and the actual run won't be for another three months or so, so I appreciate you taking the time to come on, Anthony. It's just such a fantastic product and people have often asked me, more than anything else, is it real?
Speaker 1: Does it work?
Speaker 2: And I think it really lends support when you take the time to come on and tell people, Yeah, I wouldn't be doing this.
Speaker 1: If it didn't.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you, and especially thanks to your listeners who've made Zelmons, you know, one of the top selling reas fresheners out there in the market today. We couldn't do it without you, couldn't do it without your listeners, and we just love seeing the reviews and feedback that we get on the website.
Speaker 2: All right, my friend, Love to the family, and I hope that you're Are you grilling anything today?
Speaker 4: Today though, I went out for big lunch with friends, as I said, and I am kind of burgered out. I had a three quarter pound burger. I picked out gold onions, raw onions, onion rings. So now I'm pretty much done for the day.
Speaker 2: So you're basically, yeah, you're a scientist now testing your own product.
Speaker 1: Give me all the onions, give me all the garlic, all right, my friend.
Speaker 4: Good thing is we know it works, so thank you and thanks to everybody at the Fork Report for supporting us.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll talk again soon. Have a good weekend.
Speaker 2: That's Anthony Raisin, founder, creator of Zelman's mintimouth mints more than just a mint, a functional breath threshener, and I liked having him on. Just to remind you, listen today is it for the free package of their new spearmint flavor at least for another three months until they bring it officially on board. So if you want to try that, go to their website website, Zelman's dot com slash Fork Zelman's dot com slash Fork.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with more, So go nowhere.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nil Sevadra on demand from KFI Am sixty.
Speaker 1: How are you Haavy? Saturday?
Speaker 2: To you our little our little nest here, our little sanctuary that we gather every Saturday from two to five, kind of shake off the ugliness of the week, whatever is going on in a new people angry about everything. Never seen so many offended people in my life. That offends me. Your offense, Your offense offends me. I'm really hard to offend generally, I've kind of always been that way. I grew up in a big family where you just kind of verbally beat the crap out of each other every day in love. So there's not really I mean, I guess there's a way to do it, but you know, people want to talk bad about my faith or whatever, and if okay, whatever, tell me fat, I'd go, yeah and happy. But there's not There's not really much that that bothers me. But I know that the world gets really hung up on stuff, and so this is a place where we can just hang out, you know, talk about food. Food is good, food is yummy. It's more than just sustenance. You know, if it was sustenance, we'd take a pill or something by now. But not everybody is happy on food. Apparently there's this fella and he he's suing what a Burger for one million after alleged onion mishap. So he says he's allergic to onions. Being allergic to onions is pretty rare. It does happen, it's pretty rare, but there are a lot of people that are sensitive to it. And I don't know if it explains genuinely that he was diagnosed and has more than a sensitivity again, of course people are allergic to all kinds of things. But this man, Demrie Ardell Wilson, why I think give us three names? Like he committed a crime. He's taking what a burger to court for nearly one million dollars. All comes down to some onions. But to me, wouldn't you have to prove that they did something intentionally? So what might just cause you know, watery eyes or bad breath? To us left Wilson, he says, with serious personal injuries that called for immediately immediate medical care. You had an allergic reaction. And I'm not making fun of that because I think that people pooh pooh allergies to food too much. I think instead of being compassionate and going wow, that must be very difficult to live in a way that something you have to do each day, like eat, that you have to.
Speaker 1: Be concerned with.
Speaker 2: Yes, can you make stuff at your own home, absolutely, but you know what people want to live. They want to be able to go out to eat. The thing that bothered me was this guy had a previous lawsuit against Sonic Drive in under similar circumstances, claiming another adverse reaction to onion there, and I think that if if that's a if that's a concern of yours, fast foods out a restaurant that has someone who's trained in allergies, understands them, can separate and is making one offs is different than fast.
Speaker 1: Food, which is a factory of sorts.
Speaker 2: And you're going to put yourself in a situation and you as the person who receives the bad end of these things. Hell, half of us don't know if our burger's been spit on before it's been given to us. So if you're going to sit there and find a guy that's making minimum wage, he's probably not happy about being there. If you're going to trust that person with your life, if it's that bad, then I would recommend doing something else.
Speaker 1: Probably.
Speaker 2: So can someone be allergic to onions, Yes, absolutely possible, but it's pretty rare now. It's more common for people to have sensitivity to onions, which is different. It's your body doesn't handle them well, but you don't go to you know, anaphylactic shock because of them. So as far as the difference between the two, and you probably have issues with other things like garlic, shallat's chives, there would be other things that would bother you as well. So even touching or smelling raw onions people may react to. But a true onion allergy is when you're immune. Your actual immune system goes into a defense mode. It thinks that there's a foreign property or element inside your body, and it starts to release chemicals like histamine to fight it off. And what ends up happening is it creates so much of it you start to get rashes, swelling, trouble breathing, even more serious stuff. Now, a sensitivity or intolerance is different. It's not your immune system. This is where people get these things wrong. I don't know if I'm allergic to any foods, but I do have sensitivity to certain foods. There are certain foods that if I eat a lot of, I have a reaction, And there are certain foods where the back of the soft palate in my mouth will get bumpy and itchy. But it's not like my true allergy, which is like with animals. It gets bad, my eyes start to swell shut, I get hives, my throat starts to swell shut. It gets really really bad. So a sensitivity is different. Your immune system isn't involved. It's more likely your digestive system gets upset and says no, I don't want that yet. Bloated, you get gassy stomach pain. The reaction is not usually dangerous, it's altogether different experience. Tricky part is the symptoms can look very similar, so you have to have a doctor, an actual doctor look at you and check and see if it's an allergy that your immune system is battling with, or if it's a sensitivity, which means it's probably your stomach and those types of things. So if this guy got dizzy, sweaty, breathing problems, swelling and passed out, then yes, that's something different. But the fact that he keeps doing this, I don't know. My cynicism comes out. Tiffany Hobbs coming up at five. We're going to talk to her shortly as well. So go and know where you've been listening to the Fork Report. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty two to five pm on Saturday and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Happy Saturday to you, man.
Speaker 2: It's a gorgeous day out there your cru The sun's gonna slowly start to come down a little bit of shade in the backyard. Listen to the smooth, round tones of Tiffany telling you about the world.
Speaker 1: What are you looking at? It? Was there somebody under the table that.
Speaker 3: I don't know?
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 5: I feel like I'm pushing the wrong buttons because I'm not used to sitting on this side anymore.
Speaker 6: I'm used to being on the other sides. I was a little confused.
Speaker 1: Do you come in with MO on Fridays?
Speaker 5: I come on, come in on Wednesdays with MO, and occasionally on Fridays for their movie quiz.
Speaker 6: You know name that?
Speaker 1: So Wednesday is when you do the viral lobo.
Speaker 6: Okay, look at you knowing my name of my segment.
Speaker 1: No, i'd listen, you know, what, are you a p one?
Speaker 2: I don't listen, but MO is pretty appointment for me, and and I like to listen to you guys when I'm in my shop at home or working and stuff like that. But I was trying, you know, But it's like anything else. I'm not the guy that memorized like the band the names of the band members of the bands. I like, I'm just not that guy. I probably couldn't even tell you the names of all their songs, but if I heard it, I could. I've known guys that know that that just like in their head they know, oh yeah, so and so in this I'm not that person. I experience things, I don't memorize.
Speaker 6: Them, remember the feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not really the type who memory memorizes. I find memorization it's the lowest form of learning. Okay, it actually is the lowest formularies.
Speaker 6: Everyone from L A U.
Speaker 7: S D just went, you know, well, it's what we do.
Speaker 2: We memorize things, but how they apply to us or how we uh. Language means nothing until you put it into poetry or you teach somebody with it or you you know, these types of things. So I go, man, I remember the feeling of that song, and people are like, oh, yeah, that's off their second altu, and I'm like, I don't care.
Speaker 5: You know, it's really funny that you say that the song that Robin played coming back from your first break at the top of the show, so right around five twenty or so or excuse me, two twenty, it gave me a feeling and I couldn't remember from where, but I remember the song and remember being younger listening to it.
Speaker 6: So I got to check to see what that was. But it's funny you say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it takes you back to a place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, you know, I don't go, gosh, I should get some moth balls in my closet. So it reminds me of my grandmother's house. That's not it, but you know it when you smell.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, you know that.
Speaker 7: Sorry, I meant to wash about that. Oh gosh. So anyway, so it's on the Big Show. Yeah, it was on the Big Shoe today.
Speaker 5: You know, we're going to talk about a few stories actually pertaining to students.
Speaker 6: Ironically, coming back to that.
Speaker 5: Around the Southland, there's a group of students who are eating fire survivors and they were stiffed during their prom so an organization reached out. Uh, there were some concessions that were provided. In one of those concessions, the limo actually stood them up.
Speaker 6: So I'll give details that and not terrible.
Speaker 1: How do you do that?
Speaker 5: Somebody did to the tune of quite a few thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: So wait yeah, wait wait, so I got a put them on blast.
Speaker 1: Please do So this is someone who promised to do it.
Speaker 5: Promise to do it, was paid. No charity reached out and and and collaborated with this limo driving you know business, and the limo driver the company. They took the money and did not provide the service. And when the families went to contact that night, they got no response.
Speaker 6: They were blocked.
Speaker 5: I'll go into more of the details, but it's a terrible story.
Speaker 6: Terrible.
Speaker 1: Holy hell Holy.
Speaker 2: We need to make T shirts, We need to have y Yeah, we need to have planes fly over with banners.
Speaker 7: I'm going to put the name out there. Absolutely be able to do that, and then Robin do us all a favor. When Tiffany does that tonight, that story and she calls their name out, make that her weekly pro so it airs over and over.
Speaker 1: And over again. Yeah, that's horrible.
Speaker 6: It's horrible.
Speaker 5: And other horrible thing six flags and knots or cutting jobs one hundred and thirty five jobs will absolutely affect the teenagers and the young folks. So we'll talk about that way. Moo's annoying people in Santa Monica have a story.
Speaker 6: Of course, to talk about the beeping.
Speaker 5: Yeah, handle had me cracking up talking about going grocery shopping backwards in Costco. That was hilarious.
Speaker 2: I can although he can't drive a car. Let alone of jazzy. That's the scariest thing, is that? And backwards, Yeah, on a jazzy backwards.
Speaker 6: Can you imagine?
Speaker 5: For our deeper dive segment, we're going to talk about the explosion of the luxury apartment building, the amenities, how these buildings are just really popping up everywhere, and why they are a microcosm kind of of a larger community network that people are building inside of these developments in.
Speaker 2: La in La and other colors supposed to be green lighting more.
Speaker 5: Approachable we are, and of course they designate a portion of their buildings or of their units for those who the alley and back near the alley, and.
Speaker 1: You can't use the amenities.
Speaker 6: You have to use the back door, can't use the amenities.
Speaker 5: So we're going to talk about that, and then also why airlines love if you're single. So if you're in a relationship, airlines aren't happy about that. But if you're single, you are their target market. I'll tell you why.
Speaker 2: Look at looking at you, Calen, I can no longer relate. It's all right, I hung out with you. Give it another week you'll be able to relate. Maybe less. She finds me. She's like, oh, Yeah, we're getting along great. Where does he live Mars? Yeah, further away. You look, I'm not talking about the physical looks. I'm talking about your personality.
Speaker 6: No, don't you don't you do that. You're catch, You're the prize. Tiffany brings me flowers. Neil hasn't gotten me anything, so I'm have heard of the wise. There we go.
Speaker 1: What's going on? It's a mutiny. It's still my show for like thirty seconds.
Speaker 6: It's over. So if you want to know, yeah, let's let's wrap this up. Give it to my girl coming on next to me.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you right now, this black girl magic. So I don't like it one bit. Come here on KFI.
Speaker 5: Dan outside today you'll you'll you'll get a little talent clo garbage.
Speaker 8: I don't mind telling you both. All right, I have a great show. Yeah yeah, you you're like, uh uh, I'm here. I have all people be like you love me from my brain period.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, Tiffany's coming in with great stuff today, So be listening and I will talk to you on the flip side.
Speaker 1: See on Monday on the Handle Show.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from kf I AM six forty
Speaker 4: SI