Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boiseida, Ho. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a comment, send it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com slash Radio Detectives. Well, before we do get started, I do want to let you know this program is brought to you by the financial support of our listeners. You can support the show at support dot Great Detectives dot net, or you can also become an ongoing support of the program at Patreon dot great detectives dot net. Also over a Great Detectives dot net. This weekend, check out my review of the Big Finnish Sherlock Holmes release The Final Problem Slash the Empty House, and you can get all my reviews that I do at Great Detectives dot net automatically delivered to you. You can try that service out free for two weeks for your kindle. Well, now it's time for today's episode of Dragnet. Original air date August the tenth of nineteen fifty and the title is The Big Actor.
Speaker 2: The story you are about to hear is true, only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.
Speaker 3: Fatima Cigarettes, best of all long cigarettes, brings you dragnet.
Speaker 2: You're a detective sergeant. You're assigned to narcotics detail. A large hospital in your city is held up ten thousand dollars in high grade narcotics is stolen. The bandits escape your job.
Speaker 4: Get them.
Speaker 5: If you want a long cigarette, smoke the best of all long cigarettes. Smoke extra mild Fatima. Yes, Fatima is the king size cigarette which contains the finest Turkish and domestic tobaccos, superbly blended to make it extra mild, to give Fatima a much different, much better flavor and aroma than any other long cigarette. That's why Fatima has more than doubled its smokers coast to coast. Enjoy extra mild Fatima yourself, best of all long cigarettes.
Speaker 2: It's wise to smoke extra mild Fatima.
Speaker 6: It's wise to smoke extra mild Fatima.
Speaker 3: Dragnet the documented drama of an actual crime. While the next thirty minutes, in cooperation with the Los Angeles Police Department, you will travel step by step on the side of the law through an actual case. From official police fiolets from beginning to end, from crime to punishment. Dragnet is the story of your police force and action.
Speaker 7: It was Monday, October twenty third. It was foggy in Los Angeles. We were working a day watch out on narcotics detail. My partner's Ben Ramero. The boss is Captain Kerney. My name is Friday. Was seven sixteen am when we got to Saint Christopher's Hospital the pharmacy. How you do yes, police officers, sister you'd like to see Sister Mary Benedict. I'm she mother's superior.
Speaker 8: Senters down to so you say, do we're investigating in narcotic robbery?
Speaker 9: Yes, there have been quite a few policemen here in the past hour. I believe it was the fingerprint men who just left such a minute. I have their card. Yes, they were from Layton Fingerprint.
Speaker 8: Division, Stall and the boys from Layton Prince.
Speaker 9: Yes, that's right, Sergeant Harlan Stall.
Speaker 7: A sister were the investigating officers. A sign of the case. This is Sergeant Romero. My name is Friday. Are you a lieutenant, No, I'm a sergeant. I wonder if you could start right from the beginning for us, Just tell us what you know about the robbery.
Speaker 9: Well after mass I went to breakfast, and then I came downstairs here to the pharmacy to open.
Speaker 8: Up and keep the pharmacy locked overnight.
Speaker 9: Oh, yes, always, we always assigned an intern on night duty. He has the key in case any medicines are needed during the night. He's authorized to issue what may be needed to find the doctor's request.
Speaker 10: Who else has the key to the pharmacy? Sister?
Speaker 9: Are they just three keys? Mother Superior keeps one at her desk, and you have one for the intern on duty, and.
Speaker 8: I have one?
Speaker 10: All right? Do you want to go on?
Speaker 9: When I got down here this morning, I started to unlock the door and found it a jar. There no lights on. I snapped on the wall switch that one. That's when I saw young Jimmy Lyons.
Speaker 8: That's the enduring.
Speaker 9: Yes, he was unconscious on the floor. I see his head had been cut. He was bleeding profusely.
Speaker 10: What'd you do? Then?
Speaker 9: I call Mother Superior and she came right down. Doctor Spencer was summoned. He came in and started administering aid to intern lines there on the floor.
Speaker 8: Was that when you find out the narcotics were missing?
Speaker 9: No, not just at that moment. Both Mother Superior and myself were quite worried about young lions condition. It's really Mother Superior who first noticed the narcotics safe had been tampered with.
Speaker 8: Your stories don't exactly job their assistant. How do you mean Mother Superior gives you credit for first noticing a theft.
Speaker 9: Oh, my no, she's very charitable. But she's the first one who pointed to the safe. She's very observant.
Speaker 10: I understand, Go ahead, please.
Speaker 9: Upon checking the safe, we found that someone had taken our entire store of narcotics everything.
Speaker 10: Is that the safe over there?
Speaker 9: Yes, that's the narcotic safe. Don't touch that, mister Friday, No, no, never. Nothing is to be touched until the police have completed their investigation.
Speaker 10: Clues or were the police?
Speaker 9: Sister, then do you have all the clues you need?
Speaker 7: Well, I wouldn't know, but the men from Latent Fingerprints have dusted everything here, so it's all right to touch things now.
Speaker 9: That was mister Harland's Stall's men.
Speaker 8: Yes, that's right. Oh, I didn't know. We understand. You have the inventory list, Yes.
Speaker 9: I have it on my desk.
Speaker 8: Here, thank you.
Speaker 9: We keep a running inventory. So that's the exact amount that's missing, Yes.
Speaker 7: Ma'am, cocaine and morphine. No, bird's eye, you big hauler looks like about ten thousand.
Speaker 6: More.
Speaker 8: Like to have a copy of this inventory system.
Speaker 9: Would you take the carbon I like to keep the originals for my month to five.
Speaker 10: That'll be fine.
Speaker 8: Side of this intern lines nobody saw whoever it was?
Speaker 9: No, Mother Superior and I have interrogated everyone. They made a thorough investigation on our own. I took notes. Yes, that's the way Father Brown does it.
Speaker 10: Father Brown.
Speaker 8: Oh, yes, he's an expert Detective Brown. You wouldn't mean Fad Brown. No, Father Brown, Father Brown. You people have your own detectives now.
Speaker 9: Oh my No, he's not a regular detective. He's more like Mother Superior and myself.
Speaker 10: Is that right?
Speaker 9: Yes, he's in England. Saw some really difficult cases. He'll I'll show you see you right here The Triple Cross. Another exciting Father Brown mystery by G. K. Chesterton. Oh yes, I've all but one of the Father Brown books. Mother Superior has it. I get it after she finishes.
Speaker 10: What's the condition of the intern.
Speaker 9: He's resting comfortably. Doctor Spencer says, you'll be all right. He had to take nine stitches any scalp.
Speaker 10: We'd like to talk to him.
Speaker 9: I'm sure that'll be all right. I don't have to tell you. We all think this is a terrible thing.
Speaker 10: Yes, sister, it is.
Speaker 9: All those narcotics. Whoever took them all distribute them?
Speaker 10: Will they Well, that's our guess, sister. The stuff will be sold addicts.
Speaker 9: What makes a dope adict? How do they get started? Why do they do it?
Speaker 8: I don't know, sister. I give you a lot of reasons.
Speaker 9: None of them good, none of them good. And for a few moments of what tonight they have it, and tomorrow they have nothing.
Speaker 10: That's about the size of it, sister.
Speaker 9: Stars are setting and the caravan starts for the dawn of nothing.
Speaker 11: The Bible, no, oh, Mark I am.
Speaker 7: Before we left Saint Christopher's Hospital, we talked with intern James Lyons. Since he was slugged from behind, he failed to see his assailant, he could tell us nothing. The entire hospital staff was screened thoroughly. They could add nothing to what we already knew. Between six and seven o'clock that morning, ten thousand dollars worth of high grade prescription narcotics had been stolen somewhere in the city of Los Angeles was the answer. As in all narcotics cases, speed is the prime factor. Whoever held those narcotics wouldn't waste any time diluting or cutting it and making it ready for quick sale.
Speaker 10: Our job was to stop him.
Speaker 8: Five minutes past eight am, we checked in.
Speaker 7: With Sergeant Harlan's stall at Laking. Fingerprints detailed. Not much help, is it? That's all you got?
Speaker 8: Huh?
Speaker 12: The safest clean not a print on it, no prints anywhere in the room. Slugg the intern from behind, took his keys, tore a belt, boop off his trousers, opened the safe and Walt Stock couldn't have been cleaner.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you didn't get anything on your end though.
Speaker 10: Nothing.
Speaker 4: Getle them, Okay, I picked one up. Oh isen junker by the name of Beb Kellogg is really staying seeing Steve, but he's coming out of him. Let's go talk to him. Check your letters, doll.
Speaker 10: Yeah, what's the story on?
Speaker 4: Wallace and Hunt picked him up downtown LA was sitting in the park car at Fourth and Broadway. I thought at first he was a three ninety, but they couldn't raise him. He's down this way.
Speaker 10: What else?
Speaker 4: Well, Wallace figured he must be geed up, so they roll up his sleeve to look for the spike marks.
Speaker 8: They found him, find anything on him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there were two vials of them on the seat behind him, the side him. Description stuff. Got that list of serial numbers from the hospital.
Speaker 10: Yeah right here, All right, let's go in Wallace.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kevin Friday's get lost of the serial numbers on that hospital highs hopped on. Check him against the vials he found in his car. Here, thanks, Joe, I feel him, babe.
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 4: Hell Augus is Friday and Romero Central Vision. I assume you want to tell us about it. Nothing to tell living High, aren't you. I'm not unusual, It's not the way.
Speaker 10: I get it. You're scoring good prescription.
Speaker 13: Stuff, birthday press? It from a friend?
Speaker 10: Who is it?
Speaker 8: I want to keep his friendship?
Speaker 4: Who's your connection?
Speaker 10: Baby?
Speaker 4: I don't know you know that morphine we picked out of your cars? Hot?
Speaker 10: Is it?
Speaker 8: In all of it?
Speaker 7: The hospital pharmacy was knocked over this morning. The numbers on those vials of yours match up.
Speaker 13: You're in a real jam no numbers on them.
Speaker 10: You might as well tell us where you got it.
Speaker 8: I'm not going to be a pagan for you.
Speaker 7: Nobody's asking me to be a fagan killog. That's hyph hard stuff. We don't get anybody else. It can go hard for you.
Speaker 13: I'm not going to bite the hand if heeds me.
Speaker 4: You want to stand it alone on this one, not the idea.
Speaker 8: I didn't say that.
Speaker 4: Well, one of us isn't going to go along and hold your hand. How about it? Who's your connection?
Speaker 10: All right? It isn't going to be a long weight killogg.
Speaker 7: As soon as Waters gets back with those cereal numbers, you can play hero all afternoon.
Speaker 4: It will be on the twelfth floor of the kind of jail bab You won't have to wait long later either. And why don't you put one foot that cartro and the jordge you'll throw you throw everything he's got at you.
Speaker 8: Two bottles of drug store stuff, robrick Y'll ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 13: This is good, but two bottles ain't worth that much, and.
Speaker 8: You only show a part of it. Maybe you got the rest of it at your plant. You got my plant nineteen thirty one, Essex.
Speaker 13: Four wheel break. Your car's being checked out? Didn't find me more? Did you?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 13: I couldn't be that lucky.
Speaker 8: You feel pretty good now, but you'll get a yin on. You won't help me. You never do. When's the last time you've helped us? Remember it is worse than mine. I helped you.
Speaker 13: I helped you guys a lot. Don't you remember the Frank Smith plant No. Nineteen thirty three, Friday Night Last. I'll let you write tough Smeddy's plan. Smithy didn't have no giza like your fun on me. He was a big man. We turned up four kites on him for USh. You didn't sure I did right here in Kansas City, I've done your big favor that night Friday Night Last.
Speaker 10: A different time and a different right.
Speaker 13: Baby, you're kidding in the Saint Louis singing the steam. Yeah, don't kid me along. This is Kansas City.
Speaker 10: How is you?
Speaker 8: Saint Louis?
Speaker 4: You're in Los Angeles, babe, Los Angeles, California.
Speaker 13: Your kid and Clinid wouldn't do that to me. Who's Clenide eleventh from Baltimore, hangs out down at the Continental.
Speaker 10: Hotel that's in Kansas City.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Mardy Clinid, tough cup. He said to make a hut for me. Do you want me in Casey gave me a floater out of town. That's why I came here to Saint Louis.
Speaker 4: You're in Los Angeles, babe, you got it Los Angeles.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, you're told me I'm wanna step outside of that. Yeah, stay with him away. That's it checks out.
Speaker 10: Huh.
Speaker 15: Somebody cut through the serial number stamps on the vials, but you can still make them out.
Speaker 4: The two vials of morephemie found in Kellogg's car were from the hospital pharmasy. Thanks mommas, are all right baby? Now let's cut out the jokes. So those two vials you had came from the hospital and numbers check out.
Speaker 8: No numbers on those laws.
Speaker 4: You know you probably didn't even look at them.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, I look. No numbers on him. We found them all right, Let's see how you could read them.
Speaker 13: I couldn't.
Speaker 8: Why not?
Speaker 13: Somebody scratched them all? Oh babe, you wouldn't know. Try how much he do I have to stand if I take it along?
Speaker 4: Plenty? There was an intern slug on that job. Hurt pretty bad. They're going to tag you for assault too.
Speaker 8: I never hurt anybody in my life.
Speaker 10: How do we know?
Speaker 8: I just told you we don't know you didn't pull this job. We haven't got any proof. Once more, what's the con.
Speaker 4: Goes like this? Babe? First degree robbery five years to life, Assault with the deadly weapon one to ten, Violation of the State Narcotics Act one to fifteen. You can add I lose you up there. You can get a real young on by that time. There's no buzzing up at QUE.
Speaker 8: I can't go that route. Where'd you get the stuff?
Speaker 13: I'd rather be a Fagan than spend fifty years of the joint.
Speaker 10: You convinced us? Where'd you get it?
Speaker 13: Anybody turned Fagan before they spend fifty years at QUE. No, I can't go that rob what'd you get it?
Speaker 4: Bag?
Speaker 13: From some joy popper who I gave him some hundred bucks clean me company? Passing himself off as a croaker. I can spot a guy's been hitting speedballs a mile away. I knew he wasn't any croaker.
Speaker 10: What was his name?
Speaker 13: He was Scorne good someone?
Speaker 8: Oh, let's cecil and Mary.
Speaker 13: No I know where he got it?
Speaker 4: Give us his name, bab.
Speaker 13: He's a bit player in fiftures. Leonard Castle? Wherezy you're my Arizona on location?
Speaker 4: How could to be on a location when you bought that stuff. Only this morning I.
Speaker 13: Have to plane this morning. He was on his way mud Castle picture act to that right, you got it?
Speaker 4: Run it down.
Speaker 8: Ten am. We checked the name Leonard Castle through R and I.
Speaker 10: We found nothing.
Speaker 7: We looked in the phone book and got the number Garfield three seven one one, Central Casting, Central Castings Angle's police department calling.
Speaker 8: Do you have a Leonard Castle registered with you?
Speaker 6: Yes, we do.
Speaker 8: Wonder if you could tell me if he's working.
Speaker 16: I have his card right here. Yes, he's working. He's doing crime report for Schumann Caster Independent Production. They're shooting over it Sound Stages Incorporated.
Speaker 10: They're working today.
Speaker 17: Yes he is.
Speaker 8: You're sure that company's not on location.
Speaker 16: Oh, we have no location showing for that picture.
Speaker 8: Could you give me his call police?
Speaker 16: Surely he had a nine o'clock call today Stage three. Did you wish to see mister Castle?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you shouldn't have any trouble locating him over there.
Speaker 10: We'll find him.
Speaker 3: You are listening to drag nets. Actual case history is taken from official police files.
Speaker 5: If you smoke a long cigarette, it will be in your interest to listen to these case histories taken from the file marked Fatima.
Speaker 3: On this card, Reporter Lee Silver statement.
Speaker 12: I need an extra mild cigarette. No other long cigarette I've tried is as mild as Fatima.
Speaker 3: Here is Nurse Shirley Gilman's.
Speaker 6: Statement, when I go off duty, I appreciate a mild cigarette.
Speaker 8: Fatima is an extra mild I can enjoy them more.
Speaker 3: On this card the statement by drama critic Richard Watts Junior.
Speaker 5: Anyone can tell Fatima contains the finest tobaccos, It's extra mild and has a much better flavor. All agree it's wise to smoke extra mild Fatima, and that's what more and more smokers are discovering every day. Yes, actual figures show extra mild Fatima has more than doubled its smokers coast to coast.
Speaker 3: So enjoy extra mild Fatima yourself.
Speaker 5: You'll agree it's wise to smoke extra mild Fatima.
Speaker 6: It's wise to smoke extra mild Fatima.
Speaker 5: Best of all long cigarettes.
Speaker 7: Ten thirty am, Central Casting gave us Leonard Castle's home address and detectives.
Speaker 10: Long and Hunt went on immediate stakeout.
Speaker 7: Ben and I drove out to Sound Stages Incorporated and checked in at the reception desk.
Speaker 8: We showed them our identification.
Speaker 7: We were issued to pass to sound stage three.
Speaker 8: This is stage one. Stage three ought to be down there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, very big, lay well, I was pretty small.
Speaker 10: Watched the truck.
Speaker 8: Ben think callog knew what he's talking about.
Speaker 10: I'll know in a couple of minutes.
Speaker 7: Not very usual. Joy Popper put a job like that. We all start somewhere. That's a good way to get around a movie, I say, but I'm walking.
Speaker 10: Sure a thick fog, isn't it.
Speaker 8: We don't have up. But when we get him, they're a real peace super whatever. You better hold it in red light. They're shooting in there. Oh yeah, I see what stage five? You know?
Speaker 7: I couldn't tell you, oh clear, what's going.
Speaker 8: Interesting?
Speaker 5: Hey fella?
Speaker 8: Yeah, what if you can tell us where we can find Leonard Castle?
Speaker 17: Rosey call Land Castle. Will want to see him?
Speaker 8: Okay, Lanard Castle, Lanard Castle.
Speaker 10: I guess we can wait over here with the phone.
Speaker 17: Huh, he'll be right here.
Speaker 8: Thank thank you? Was he you call me here? Gentlemen?
Speaker 17: I want to see you.
Speaker 8: Thanks, Waddy? You want to see me?
Speaker 7: Your name Leonard Castle? Yeah that's right, police officers. Yeah, there's someplace where we can talk.
Speaker 8: Well, is this all right? I got to stick close. I might be in the next shot.
Speaker 10: All right. You know a fellow the name of Babe Kellogg. Oh he says he knows you.
Speaker 8: Oh I never heard him.
Speaker 10: Be sure, put us on a.
Speaker 17: Bellow, George. Hold the work, fly down, fly, have.
Speaker 8: To hold it in at the lining up the show.
Speaker 3: Have to move that route about a foot and a half to.
Speaker 17: You're right, that's it. Hold it right there. Take a little harder couple of times. Ooh ooh, that's good it Actually give me your nink you think right here, camel left.
Speaker 18: Right when Fred Conray crosses over the table, can you help me on a little?
Speaker 17: Can you bring this one down about two points.
Speaker 10: On the dimmer?
Speaker 4: It's gone.
Speaker 18: Time to get that already, the lift's Conrad, Yes, sir, take it real easy. Remember you don't know your sergeant's got a clue until he comes to you with it. Alright, you're anticipating a little bit. Okay, that's trying by watch that mic shadow. We' getting it on that wall.
Speaker 4: Am I out? Now?
Speaker 10: Not too much? We love it?
Speaker 17: That's fine and clear. Already all right, we're.
Speaker 10: Trying turn them over.
Speaker 17: Rubbing see action?
Speaker 11: All right?
Speaker 19: You so's I get all the clues up the right down.
Speaker 10: He's that broken window, that's right.
Speaker 17: Last thing?
Speaker 8: Books?
Speaker 10: Yeah, they got them int.
Speaker 2: Save good.
Speaker 17: That's all this class hoole.
Speaker 10: Alright, you never heard of babe Killogg.
Speaker 8: Huh, that's right. We're were you at six? Is luck this morning? Can't you got men at your place checking? What's it all about?
Speaker 7: Between six and seven o'clock this morning, somebody robbed the pharmacy at Saint Christopher's Hospital and slugged the intern, made off with over ten thousand dollars with a narcotics.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we find you were in bed between six and seven? Are clear?
Speaker 10: I was anybody to back up that alibi?
Speaker 4: A lot of that.
Speaker 10: I guess you'd know what time she generally get up.
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know why she couldn't very well back yet she was still asleep. She's usually up early.
Speaker 7: So she said you didn't know what time she got in? Well, I mean I don't usually know, but you know this morning. No, you don't know, baby Kellogg.
Speaker 17: Simmer down, everybody, let's have it. Flat them off. What are you reading at junior Harry nine?
Speaker 8: We'll make a little.
Speaker 17: Hotter, A little hotter, that's it? Whoa ten plus?
Speaker 6: Steve? That's it?
Speaker 17: How about it?
Speaker 6: Steve?
Speaker 10: Anykay?
Speaker 4: Turn him over?
Speaker 17: Rolling action?
Speaker 10: All right, you says, they get all the clues up your right in.
Speaker 17: That's what I found.
Speaker 10: Here's a broken window.
Speaker 17: That's right, it's plastic with prince.
Speaker 18: Yeah, we got on it, Jake, you said, plastered with prints, the line rings, plastered with fingerprints.
Speaker 17: You gotta say the whole word.
Speaker 4: They'll never know what you mean.
Speaker 8: In Vancouver.
Speaker 17: Come yeah, yeah, hold the work, keep it quiet.
Speaker 15: That's really easy. Tough director, but he's a good one. How long you've been doing this kind of word cancer?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 8: Six seven years?
Speaker 10: What pictures you've been in?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 15: I don't think you'd have noticed. They're mostly small parties. What kind of punts you got in this picture?
Speaker 8: I play a cop?
Speaker 10: What would you like to do in this picture? No? What's your ambition? You're gonna stand in pictures?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 15: I'd like to like to get a few bigger parts if I could. It's pretty tough to try and set yourself to produce her. If you can't see you on the film.
Speaker 8: Money is pretty good, No, isn't it?
Speaker 10: All?
Speaker 8: All the Pens's a different deal in each picture. You do you have an agent?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 8: I did have wasn't doing anything for me, so I let him go on. I represented that pretty hard to build any kind of a name without an agent, isn't it? What all the pens? If you can keep up a good front, nice car, that's all the constant time?
Speaker 10: Do you really believe that? Do you touch you?
Speaker 19: Well?
Speaker 10: I don't know much about it. I'm not an actor.
Speaker 8: You said you didn't know baby killing at all, didn't you? I don't know. You said you saw your LANDI at six flock this morning. No, I didn't see that. There's the Theodre or Milton director.
Speaker 10: Would you like to meet it? What time you see your landy?
Speaker 8: This parish Meltourne, Yeah, Castle. When are you gonna get to meet really? Yeah? No, I was still in the same thing.
Speaker 4: We'll get a utel after lunch and you stay with you pretty kay?
Speaker 8: What time did they break for lunch?
Speaker 4: Cattle?
Speaker 7: All this a company years that breaks around twelfth? Are it's only eleven fifteen? Maybe we can go outside until directors that he didn't need to Why you never want to believe the director? So I was a first assistant.
Speaker 8: We could check with him, couldn't. Well, I don't like to do that. I hate ask any favorites.
Speaker 15: Said he wasn't going to use you laugh for Lene, Well, it isn't a good policy to bother the first assistant.
Speaker 7: It was probably better in here anyway. I didn't see any place sit on outside unless you have a car in the You have car?
Speaker 8: No, I don't.
Speaker 10: But you told us she had a car. No, I didn't tell you that when you said something about keeping up a good front, nice car?
Speaker 8: Is that what you say? Oh? Oh sure, I have a cry. I don't know what I was thinking about. Yeah, I have a car.
Speaker 15: I thought you said you had a car. Tell you this picture. I will drive you crazy. I don't know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: After's that maybe you made a mistake about Babe Kellog do you know? No, I'm sure about that.
Speaker 8: I don't know any Babe Carson Kellogg or Kellogg you know, I don't know it.
Speaker 10: Would you mind showing us your wallet?
Speaker 8: What for? You want to see my identification? We see the wallet?
Speaker 13: Then all right?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: No, you hold it joking it up?
Speaker 4: Quiet place, all right?
Speaker 8: Say okay?
Speaker 4: Right, see all right, nice and easy now finger prints Jake by action.
Speaker 8: Alt you so as they get all the clues up your right in.
Speaker 14: What I call it?
Speaker 10: He's a broken.
Speaker 8: Window, that's right, it's a flat fanker prints.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we got im in.
Speaker 7: I thought you see how much money you got in your wallet?
Speaker 15: Canceled? No, you vote it just counted? Course, Oh there it is? What about the rest of it in there?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 10: I didn't see all right, count it just a few hunder here counted?
Speaker 8: All right? So well I can see four fifties right there on top. That's two hundred, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Three hundred.
Speaker 10: Four fifty. Yeah, go on.
Speaker 8: I hadn't know I had this much. That's two hundred and fifty more, and that makes seven hundred. Didn't this morning? I thought I had.
Speaker 7: There's two more tens in the five there. That's seven hundred and twenty five dollars. Castle, Yeah, doing pretty well in this picture. It's not all picture money, all right. You can put your wallet away.
Speaker 8: Thanks. You didn't make this money on the picture. Where'd you get it? Play little cards?
Speaker 10: This night?
Speaker 8: Were they pretty late? Yeah?
Speaker 10: Pretty late?
Speaker 8: Weren't you tired this morning?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 8: Not even when you got up at six?
Speaker 10: I said, I got up at six I list in castle.
Speaker 7: You don't know what you said, but one thing sure you're lying to was you know, Babe Kellogg and your own well enough to sell him two miles a high grade morphine.
Speaker 8: How you're wrong about it? All right?
Speaker 10: Then you set us straight.
Speaker 7: Kellogg says he paid your seven hundred dollars for the stuff you got over seven hundred and your wallet that's morn you need for lunch money.
Speaker 8: Now this could be a coincidence. You set a straight where you're wrong.
Speaker 10: What'd you get the money?
Speaker 8: Turn it.
Speaker 17: Right? See action all right?
Speaker 2: You says, I get all the clues.
Speaker 10: I'll be right in. He's a broken window.
Speaker 17: That's right, that's a plastic.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we got a man all right, But you get the money casting I told you I played card. Say won't do got the keys to your car?
Speaker 8: I can't leave.
Speaker 10: We'll get you excuse we want to look at your car?
Speaker 8: No, no, don't do that.
Speaker 10: All right? Then? Do you know, Babe Kellogg?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 19: See action alright? You says, I get all the clues up your right end. He's a broken window. Huh, that's right, that's alastic.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we got a man cut.
Speaker 17: Right all.
Speaker 10: Do you know, babe Kellogg?
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, I know, I might know it.
Speaker 10: You robbed that hospital. It's money.
Speaker 8: I needed it. I needed the money. I had to have it. I owed money. They were gonna take my car.
Speaker 4: I was broke.
Speaker 15: What else could I do? I was sick once I stayed at Saint Christophers. I know where they kept the drugs. I know if I could get him, I could make some fast money. I didn't mean to hit the kittick. I couldn't let him see me.
Speaker 20: He didn't have to be there, did he. He didn't have to beat her. I sold oldaid. The stuff and the rest is in the car and the cedar. I need the money of it.
Speaker 10: I was broke, broke, better get him out of her.
Speaker 18: Ben, Come on, Casle, that was a great meeting. My name is Melton Man, directing this picture. You the boys agent, No, sir, never heard him read better. Funny thing though, Yeah, in front of the camera he goes to the dogs.
Speaker 2: The story you've just heard was true, only the names were changed to protect the innocent.
Speaker 3: On January twenty eighth, trial was held in Superior Court Department ninety one, City in County of Los Angeles State of California in a moment the results of trial.
Speaker 7: And now here is our star, Jack Webb, thank you the working detective. In reaching the solution of a crime depends on the combined efforts of many minds, in many hands, the crime lab, state and federal peace officers, and you the citizens. And so with Fatima, the combined efforts of many go into their blending and manufacture. Skilled hands working with the finest Turkish and domestic tobaccos make Fatima extra Mile, best of all long cigarettes. If you're a long cigarette smoker like i am, try Fatima. Every pack is extra Mile. Smoke Fatima, ladies and gentlemen. Starting Thursday, August twenty fourth, that's two weeks from tonight, drag Net will be heard one hour earlier at nine pm Eastern daylight saving time.
Speaker 3: Leonard Francis Castle was tried and convicted of first degree robbery and violating the State Narcotics Act. He received sentences as prescribed by law. Alfred Babe Kellogg was convicted of violating the State Narcotics Act. Both men are now serving their terms in the state penitentiary. You have just heard Dragnet, a series of authentic cases from official files. Technical advice comes from the Office of Chief of Police W. H. Parker, Los Angeles Police Department.
Speaker 5: Fatima Cigarettes, the best of all long cigarettes, has brought you drag Net from Los Angeles. Sarah Berner is delightful in Sarah's Private Caper. Next on NBC, this.
Speaker 3: Is Andrew J. Graham, author There was Surface series, Oh and a Man of His Wife.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the great Detectives of Old time Radio.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: In this episode we heard one of the most inaccurate things you'll hear in a drag Net episode. Of course it's a minor point, but since it revolved around the world of mysteries and detectives, I've got to call it out. And that is the reference to Father Brown. Clearly they thought it would be kind of cute to put in a father Brown reference since this was happening at a Catholic hospital. But two things. One, Father Brown was never known for carrying around a notebook. If he was known for carrying around anything, it was an umbrella. He was an amateur sleuth and his solutions were based on his observations as well as his life experiences. With Store is like the eye of a Paulo and the Blue Cross. There also was never a story of Father Brown's called the Triple Cross, and it seems to imply that this was a novel. Father Brown's stories were all short stories. It seems like the writers wanted to include the reference, but they hadn't read the books, and they'd heard of the character, but they couldn't be bothered to look at the actual titles of the book. On a much more positive note, I think the scene with the Babe character was very fascinating and it was one of those points where Dragnet is able to really use a sort of show don't tell approach to crime prevention, and in preaching the dangers of crime, it doesn't just say kids don't do drugs, drugs are bad for you. Rather, we mate this man who doesn't even know what city he's in. That's how much damage all the drugs have really wrought upon him, and that itself is a very powerful message without actually saying any message. The final scene was very intriguing and almost surreal because in the foreground we have actors playing policemen who are closing a case, and behind them are actors playing actors who are policemen. Closing a case. I did think that that scene probably did go on a little bit too long, and it was one case where I think anytime you have good music or good sound effect, anything that is a feature of your story, you have to be sure that it serves the main story. In this particular episode, it felt like the story was serving up the sound effects in this fictional scene with the policeman rather than the other way around, because we already know who the robber was at the commercial break, and we came back basically to have this scene on the sound stage. So a bit of a mixed bag on this. Still, I do think the part with Babe was very well done, and I thought the scene on the sound stage was good but been a bit shorter. All right, Well, that will about do it for our main comments. Our listener support campaign starts tomorrow. But because of today's episode and its references to Father Brown, you might be curious what the Father Brown stories are actually like. Well, one part of our listener support campaign that starts tomorrow is that, in addition to access to our premium sign at your request, we'll send your choice of several ebooks, as well as an additional thank you gift among the items we will be offering. For a donation of twenty dollars or more, we'll send you Colonial Radio Theaters the Innocence of Father Brown, either volume one or Volume two, and at the fifty dollars or more level, we'll send you one of the two BBC Radio four adaptations of Father Brown, starring Andrew Sachs. And those options are also available for Patreon users at Thepatreon dot Great Detectives dot Net at either the Master Detective or Chief of Detectives level. And even if we do receive the donation on Saturday before the campaign officially starts, if your request is Father Brown, we'll gladly send that along because Father Brown stories are wonderful, But that we'll do it for today. Tomorrow we kick off the listener support campaign with a one hour listener Support special our star The Great orson Wells, and then join us back here next Saturday for another episode of Dragnet. In the meantime, send your comments to Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com. Slash Radiodetectives from Boise, Idaho, this is your host, Adam Graham's on and off