Speaker 1: And we continue on Fred Rogan, Rodney Pete at five to seventy LA Sports. Okay, Dylan sees and Dustin May tonight down in San Diego Dodgers and Padres. Go at it, Rodney, and let's get down to the gas lamp district. Maybe I think that's where he is because Jack Harris at the times usually drinks heavily before the games. So I'm sure, freddie Well, what what.
Speaker 2: Did I jump to an assumption there? Yeah, you jump to a real assumption. But let's let's find out.
Speaker 1: All right, let's bring on Jack, Jack, how are you.
Speaker 3: Not drinking yet? That would be nice, but probably outside the bounds of what's allowed for this job, I'm afraid.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you hey, you make your own rules. You know, you're you're really one of the best at what you do, so whatever you want to do works for us.
Speaker 3: Oh I appreciate that. Uh yeah, that set approval.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jack, legends get to do whatever they want. Absolutely, That's what Fred is really saying. You get to do whatever you want.
Speaker 3: In the NASA's place. Is that simple?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: Okay, Jack, here we go. Let's just start with the enormity of this series.
Speaker 3: Is it enormous, enormous might be big. I think the way I think you got to look at this whole ten game stretch they have coming this series against the Padres, and then they come home and have the Giants and the Padres on their next home stand. It really sets up to me what the rest of the season is going to look like. The Dodgers could play well over the next week and a half, open up some breathing room, give themselves a little more margin for error as they continue to work through their pitching injuries and kind of figure out what the second half of the season's going to look like, or if they played poorly, they're going to be in a hole. Now, it's not one that they can't recover from the division. It's not going to be decided in the next week and a half. But repeatedly this season there have been allusions to twenty twenty one when the Dodgers and the Giants were in that epic division battle, and how strenuous that was on the Dodgers that year by the time they got to October and got to the NLCS and when they lost to the Braves. The one key answer that people gave about why they failed there is that. You know, they just kind of ran out of gas. They were having to push so hard the entire second half of that season that by the middle part of October, you know, their pitching had been worn down, the lineup was worn down, And I think they're trying to avoid that same situation happening this year. So if you play well in the next week and a half, you come down here to San Diego and win this series. If you take care of business at home, you put yourself in a much better situation going into the second half of the year. But if you don't, they could be facing a deficit in the division. They could be in third place in the division if the next couple of weeks don't go well, and then suddenly you have a lot of ground to make up with a roster that still is pretty far from full strength and probably isn't going to get there for at least another month or two. So that's the stakes of this series, of this coming stretch of the schedule. They haven't played these teams yet in their division that are at the top of the division with them, and it's a chance to either try to open up some breathing room or put yourself in a hole that you're going to have to try to dig out of the rest of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jack, and you just you just mentioned that that you know, at this point in the season, does it really matter? Does it really matter at this point in the season. And the Padres, who's been a thorn in the Dodgers' side and kind of fought them along the way. We just had a question with callers about is this a rivalry with the Dodgers and the Padres. Do you think this is a rivalry?
Speaker 3: Oh, I think it's for sure a rivalry and probably one that you know, lacks the historical significance and weight of Dodgers giants. But if you look back over the last five years now, the Padres have been the team most consistently pushing the Dodgers in the division, making life tough on them both in the regular season and the playoffs. And in a world, you know, with the schedule now where you don't play as many games against these teams, the games you do play take on even more importance. You factor in, you know, all the stuff that happened during last year's inn LDS from you know, the game where people threw stuff on the field to Manny Machado throwing the ball at the Dodgers dugout, to just the really raw emotions that surrounded the Dodgers comeback. Then, to me, the Dodgers Padres rivalry, at least of this current group of players is almost more heated and more intense and has more backstory than the Dodgers and the Giants too right now, so it's definitely a rivalry. I think it's a really compelling matchup with this core of players on both teams who have now met in the playoffs three of the last five years, have knocked each other out of the playoffs and are going into what's going to be or what at least looks like another pretty compelling Division race this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jack, you mentioned how it took the wind out of the Dodgers sales when they had to battle the Giants all the way to the end and then they got to play the Braves and just ran out of gas. There's the flip side of that too. In the past two the Dodgers have run away with the Division, and people have said they went into October where they were rusty and hadn't played a meaningful game for a month month and a half and it hurt them as well. What is the formula and where is the fine line between being in a heated pennant race or division race or running away with it where you can rest your guys and don't play meaningful games until the playoffs start.
Speaker 3: You know, I think you look at last year as a good example. Last year was not an easy division race for the Dodgers. Pretty much up until the last weekend of the year, they had meaningful games to play. The key part there was they had a division lead that whole time. And even if it was only a couple of games. You know, when San Diego came into Dodgers Stadium for that that series at the end of the year, the one where Freddie Freeman rolled his ankle, the Dodgers had a little bit of margins for you know, there was that game that ended on the triple play, and then they came back and they won the next two games. They clinched the division. And that's because they had given themselves just enough breathing room early in the year that even though the Padres were the hottest team in baseball are in the second half, even though they could never really shake them up until that last week, they weren't in a play they were still in a place where, if you remember last year, there were still some games down the stretch they punted on or they were able to rest relievers, and they were able to do that because they knew they still had a little bit of margin for aer right and that you know, even if they lose a game to San Diego at home, they could still come back and win the division. So that's why, you know, the difference even of having a two or three game lead by the time you get into August and September can be a lot different than when you're down a couple games in the division and you really can't afford to punt on games if you want to try to win the division and get a buy and put yourself in the best position possible for the playoffs. And I think the other thing the Dodgers figured out last year was how to handle that bye week, you know, how to to keep the momentum of the regular season going, how to build some chemistry and camaraderie with the time off that they had. And I'd also point out, like you know, even having those three days at the end of last season, after they clinched the division, you know, was helpful for Freddi Freeman who didn't have to play in those games and even just got a small breeder going into the playoffs so that he could still be, you know, a productive and impactful member of the team. So it is a fine balance. I think where the Dodgers are at now, you know they're they're much more well equipped to handle. You know, if they have a week or two at the end of the season that isn't as meaningful, and they would still take that one hundred times out of one hundred, especially given the pitching injury concerns that they're going to have to manage during the second half of this year. So again going back to like the importance of these games coming up over the next couple of weeks. That's why this is so big, because it can make a world of difference even if you have a small lead in the division versus trying to make up ground in the second half of the year.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, talking about injuries, what about Tony Gonsolin. Where are we at with now?
Speaker 3: It's not a worst case scenario, as Dave Roberts said over the weekend, is the UCL is intact, but he gets thrown into this bucket of other pitchers where they got to give him some time off from throwing, see if the discomfort and his elbow dissipates, then try to ramp them up slowly where you're trying to balance this and knowing you need to get some pitchers back. Ver, it's also not rushing guys back where they could get hurt again, and it's the same thing they've been dealing with with Blake Snell and Tyler Glass now and Rookie Sasaki. Obviously, it leads them in a much tougher spot in the short term, starting with tomorrow and how they're going to handle, you know, the pitching plan for that game in a world where they don't have Tony Gonsolin. The thing that Dodgers have kept saying this year that's different than last year is that none of these guys have been knocked out for the year. Right The only guy they've lost permanently this season is Evan Phillips, and because of that, they still have confidence that in the long term, they're pitching staff is going to get healthy enough for them to be in a place where they're confident about their chances to go into October and compete for another World Series. But every time you have another situation like this, and the longer it takes guys to come back, it just creates more uncertainty about exactly what the pitching staff is going to look like. It creates uncertainty about how aggressive you have to be at the trade deadline, you know, to try to give yourself some insurance in case some of these guys don't come back as expected. So it's just another kind of piece of this unknowable puzzle that goes into trying to manage pitching injuries and build a healthy pitching staff, and one that especially in the short term, you know, just makes life that much tough around the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Well, staying with pitching, how do you how do you handle Otani right, because obviously they've been very very conservative with him and all accounts that he probably could have started the season, but they're being extra extra careful with him when he does come back. How do the Dodgers are how what would you suggest they handle him? Because it could fall into not only out of necessity that they got to use him more than they expected, but do they because you don't want to lose his.
Speaker 3: Bat yeah, and that explains why they've managed him on the pitching side the way they have to this point, because they know that they can maybe live in a world where shohe Otani isn't an impact pitcher. They just won a World Series last year without him on the mound. Life's a lot tougher if you try to rush him back as a pitcher, and you raise the risk of him getting hurt doing that, and then you lose his bat for any for a long period of time. That's the one thing they really can't afford to have happened. So the way they've tried to plan this out is give him as much time as possible, very methodically built up. You know, he's going to do another live session this week in which I'm guessing you'll see his pitch counts kind of keep ticking up. It was around thirty last time, maybe gets two thirty or over it this week, and then try to give him enough time that when he does come back as a pitcher, you know, he has time to kind of figure out where he's at physically, who has who he is as a pitcher now coming off the second Tommy John. That's why you know, Dave Roberts has kept saying, we're expecting to get him back after the All Star break. If you get him back around, then you're probably looking at eight to ten ish starts over the rest of the season for him to try to, you know, figure out where he's at as a pitcher, and then at that point you can make a determination, Okay, where's the rest of the pitching staff, how badly do we need him as a pitcher? How has he performed, you know, coming off a second TJ, which is not something you can take for granted. I mean, we saw Walker viewer last year. He was great in October, but the whole regular season was a roller coaster for him trying to figure out where he was at coming off his own second Tommy John procedure. So I think to this point it's been a logical progression of trying to protect him, trying to make sure that he's still an impact piece of your lineup, while also you know, threading that needle to where he's going to have just enough time to figure out where he's at on the mound and how badly they're going to need him.
Speaker 1: Talking about injuries, if we reverse the roles, if the padres itself with a number of injuries the Dodgers had this year, Jack, would the Padres be as good as they are? Because I contend it's remarkable the Dodgers are where they're at given the number of injuries.
Speaker 3: No, probably not. I don't think there's there's really any other team in baseball that could have withstood, you know, losing basically four out of your five opening day pictures for the majority of the first two and a half months now and still be in the position the Dodgers are. That speaks to the depth they have. It speaks to the resources they put into this roster to try to work around when situations like this arise. And it's the reason why, you know, going into this week, even with all the problems they've had, they are still in first place. You know, a team like the Padres just doesn't have that much depth, and I think you've even seen them kind of tail off a little bit as injuries have started to catch up to you know, some guys in their lineup and their bullpen, and they haven't played as well as they did early in the season. The tricky part for the Dodgers is is that while that depth can help you get through the regular season. You need your star players, you need your best pitchers available by the time you get to the stretch run of the year in the playoffs. So that again goes back to why the team has been as cautious as they have been with some of their injured arms. They feel like in the short term, even if it doesn't look pretty on an everyday basis, and it really hasn't for the Dodgers going back to you know, like they're what four or five games above five hundred since that eight no start to the season. This is their weathering the storm phase of the year. They are equipped to be able to do it now, but at some point they are going to have to get healthy again, and it's about trying to figure out, you know, how can you get there while still preserving your best guys to be available for you know, when the games really start to matter.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jack, what do you say to Dodger fans who at the beginning of the season and when they made all these acquisitions in the offseason and they think that the Dodgers should be running away with it should be just like twelve games up on everybody else, and you look out there and they're playing the Padres, right, you know in the three game series. Now, Padres have talent up and down that lineup as well. You look at the Phillies. The Phillies have as much talent as anybody in baseball. The Mets are very talented, as we saw when they came to Dodgers State am very talented baseball team. It is not going to be easy for the Dodgers to run through the National League and get back to the World Series and win it. There are a number of teams out there, and I know the Dodgers have star power and they spend the most money and all those things, but baseball, and especially the National League is still very, very competitive, and I wouldn't be surprised whoever came out of the National League at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the reason to me the Dodgers haven't been better goes back to just the fact that they've been playing shorthanded. They haven't had the p staff, either in the rotation or the bullpen that they were hoping to have for you know, or expecting to have coming into the year. I still do think it's full strength. The Dodgers are better than anybody in baseball. If you have the rotation you want, and you have your top believers available to go along with this lineup that, even though it's dealt with its own ups and downs, has still statistically been one of the best units in the sport this year. You know, the Dodgers still have when you look at their whole roster of probably the most talent in the game. The problem is that so many of those names right now have the eye out designation next to them. So again, the Dodgers, because of their depth, hand handled this kind of stuff better. But you know, especially in the National League, like you said, there's a lot of really talented teams, and if you don't get healthy completely, if you don't have the kind of makeup roster wise that you were anticipating having coming into the season after spending all the money they did both this winner and last winter, it's going to be difficult and there's going to be teams like we've already seen this year, the Dodgers have not really played all that impressively against fellow playoff contenders or fellow World Series contenders, and it's a reminder that, yes, while they can tread water to a certain extent in the regular season and still win enough games to be in first place in the NLS and be in an okay spot in the standings. They're going to need to have something close to the best version of themselves by the end of the season to make a legitimate run at repeating his World Series champions And it makes you know, this stretch right now important to just try to again avoid long losing streaks or really bad stretches of play for a prolonged period of time. But that's only one part of the puzzle, and the second part is going to be they are going to have to start playing higher level baseball more consistently as the season goes along and as they get healthier, because to this point, yeah, when you look at just the on the field product over these first couple months, they have not been the best team in baseball right now. They're not even you know, in a even though their first place in the NLS, there's two teams in the National League with better records than them, And it all speaks to how difficult it's going to be for them to try to repeat this year and the need again to try to get as healthy as possible by the end of the season, because that's what it's going to take most likely to go on another deep October run.
Speaker 1: All right, well, Jack, thanks so much. Do you hang out in the gas lamp down there.
Speaker 3: A little bit? There is a convention going on down here this week, though, where all the hotels were a thousand bucks or more. So I'm staying out of downtown this trip, so it might be a little bit quieter, but we'll see. There might still be some time for a postgame beer.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, let me ask you something. So when you travel and you know your life is difficult, people think, oh, you get to go to all the game. No, no, you're traveling all the time and you're in and out of airports. Are you telling me the Times would in spring for a thousand bucks for Jack Harris to beat downtown.
Speaker 3: We're trying to be strategic with our budget. Make sure that you know we're there in person no matter where we go. So, uh, it's it's all good. I get the I gotta drive this week, so I get the mile leadream person out of it.
Speaker 2: So that's all right.
Speaker 1: There you go, So it's a good it's a good week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's silver linings.
Speaker 2: That's it, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, Jack, thanks have fun down there.
Speaker 3: All right, appreciate you guys.
Speaker 1: Our buddy Jack Harris from the Times. You know, there's a little something something to this tonight, Rodney. Yeah, I mean it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 2: Now. There's little edgings to it. That's what I love. There's some edgings to it that you know, they they don't they don't like us, We don't like them. And it's and it only works, you know, you cannot like somebody, but it only works when you're competitive, when both teams have a chance to win, and you can compete with me and it's gonna you know, it could come down to the last inning, or it could come down to the wire. But you can't talk, smack and and and do all the things that you do if you're not competitive. And the Padres know that they can beat the Dodgers. They don't feel they don't fear them, they don't feel in awe of them. They feel they can beat the Dodgers. They have not gotten over the hump to win a World Series lately, and they know they got to go through the Dodgers to do that. But it is a it is confidence on both sides, which you love.
Speaker 1: I think the people in San Diego hate the people in La more than the people in La hate the people.
Speaker 2: In San Diego. Yeah, I agree with Yeah, I agree with that. Yeah, there's a bigger chip on the San Diego folks. You know, us calling them little brother for years and them being you know, the doormat for years. And now they've got a pretty good team. They've got a chance to beat the Dodgers. So now they're feeling themselves. But yeah, absolutely, we didn't give them a second thought until probably the last few years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean as a group of people, they're very nice. I have no problem. So I've known beef with the people of San Diego. I just don't know why they have this inferiority.
Speaker 2: They got beef with you, Freddy. They don't like.
Speaker 1: You, Well why don't they like? What did I do?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I like you? Freddy? And San Diego. You know why they don't like Amy number one? You know why they don't like me? The Angels Spanos family, that's in the Spanos family.
Speaker 1: Well, they believe. They do believe this. For whatever reason, I was instrumental in the Chargers moving to Los Angeles. They do believe Yeah, oh yeah they do. And I had nothing to do with that. I have nothing to do with anything really, but they did believe that, Rodney, and I think that's that's why they were upset with me.
Speaker 5: Well, you also yelled when we were at Dodger Stadium years ago, across the field towards.
Speaker 6: The players, no hope. You have no hope. So there's that too.
Speaker 5: You're all making a lot of friends in the San Diego area for multiple reasons there.
Speaker 1: First, listen, that was a long time ago. I was just it's.
Speaker 2: Funny, remember that I did yell no hope, and you guys looked at me like, what the hell is wrong with you?
Speaker 6: And it wasn't even into the ether. You looked at the podrais and yelled it in their direction.
Speaker 2: You did as soon as they came out on the field and they would warm it up, like no hope. Was I right then at that point in time, Yes, you were right.
Speaker 1: I don't yell at anymore. But that was then, and this is now, and the fun begins tonight. Everybody's getting paid now, it's a new ball game. Everybody's getting paid. That's next.
Speaker 4: We've made it even easier to take LA sports with you this summer, make am five to seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast, a preset on the iHeartRadio app using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto road Trip all Summer with LA Sports.
Speaker 2: Ah oh yeah, it's a Monday, Rodney p. Fred Rogan. I just want to give a shout to what you're hearing right now, sly Stone, sly and the family Stones, iconic musician, iconic producer, iconic sound you know, soundtrack of my of my growing up from the time I was eight to about seventeen was a lot of sly Stone. He passed away today and so we just give a shout out to him and his family and many thoughts and prayers with his family. But what an iconic legend sly Stone. Appreciate it. Ronnie right on, I didn't know that. Yeah, I did not know that. I just found out. Yeah yeah, Slice done.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we do want to say something and we should have done at the top of the show. That's on us, Thanks very much to Sketchers. How about that turnout on Friday. Of course we weren't there, but our street team was there. We gave away ten pairs of Dodger tickets. The place was jam packed. They couldn't have been any nice to our folks. And we hope everybody that once just had the best time because it was quite the event. So thank you to Sketchers for being so kind, thank you to Sketchers for allowing us to send a street team down there. And I have a terrific afternoon, so we wanted to give them a shout out real quick. All right, So now we know and these are student athletes. Enough done, done, done done, not another word about it, not another word.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Now the colleges are actually paying them to now they get paid the house versus NCAA case is settled. Schools can officially pay students directly from a full of twenty point five million dollars. Majority of that money will go to football and men's basketball and then it gets sprinkled throughout all the other programs. But that's it. And you can also have your NIL deal as well. So now it is official. Not only can you have nil, but the school is going to give you a salary. Can we end this student athlete stuff?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Is that possible?
Speaker 2: Yes, you're an athlete who happens to get an education if you really want one, And that's a bigger issue. If you really want one, if you really want one. So can we do this now too? Can we stop? Well, these kids are going to have to go to class now, and you know if they miss class or we can't let them.
Speaker 1: Miss this test. Can we just stop that now too?
Speaker 2: The eligibility requirement is out the window, right, I mean seriously, I mean how do they enforce that going forward? When kids are getting paid now and you got to maintain a certain average or you got to go to a certain minute. I mean when does that come in effect? Does that they're gonna have to revamp that right whereas you know, you may not be able to participate the following year, but in that current year, how are they going to enforce the kids are going to class?
Speaker 1: Right, they can't. Oh, you're gonna suspend me. You're not gonna let me play. I make two million dollars a.
Speaker 2: Year for the school, right, and I make forty million on a Saturday for the school.
Speaker 1: Right, So I'm not playing, by the way, I get paid two million two playing and I make you twenty million, right, Or you're not gonna let me play. You're paying me, do you understand? You now pay me? And if you pay me oh I can't play. Oh, okay, okay, and then and then if you take your approach on.
Speaker 2: The road, I'm going down the road. And if you can't pay me.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. Oh you're gonna stop me now.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Doctor Cassano got mad at me because I called her an old hen in English class because she said I didn't turn in my report. What are you gonna do to me? Oh, hey, Rodney, you have one D and you know you'll be ineligible with that D. Okay, So I guess the three million dollars I just made part of it from you. You just wasted because I'm not giving it back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, you think that those player contracts are got clauses in them that you got to maintain a certain average or you got to maintain a certain green point. No, I'm making that three million dollars whether I show up to your class or not. And and what are you gonna do? Okay, So you're gonna cost not only you're not gonna cost me anything, because I'm gonna still get paid, but you're gonna cost a school probably or possibly fifty million dollars because we lose this game. We're not in the playoffs. We're not in the college playoffs, which is an extra one hundred million dollar revenue for the school. You really want to do that?
Speaker 1: You're really telling me that my grade is in the C. Is that what you're saying? I know it's just d but don't we both know what's to see? Well, sure, Rodney, we can do that, but here's what we need you to do. We need you to work a little harder, turn in some extra credit, take a few tests. Again, do you understand I have games to prepare for. I don't have time for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my test is on Saturday. That's the only real test I have riturday.
Speaker 1: Let's see if I show up and pass out.
Speaker 2: On Saturday Saturday afternoon, that's my real test. Don't tell me about a math test or English test.
Speaker 1: Right, I'll be prepared for the test that I need to be prepared for. So what are you gonna do to me? Now?
Speaker 2: You see?
Speaker 1: That's the insanity of all of this. Mm hmm, I don't know. I'm not saying where I heard it. I'm not saying it's right. I'm not saying it's wrong. I heard Eric Musselman is gonna have like ten twelve million dollars this year to go out and spend on basketball players at USC, they're very serious about competing.
Speaker 2: They are very serious.
Speaker 1: And somebody said, let me, let me help you out here here, Now go get what you need. Eric Musselman goes out and brings somebody in here. You mean, this person has first period and was tardy like every day, So we're gonna have to sit them for a game to teach them. Really, I don't think that's going to be the case at all. So when you back to that, oh, the NC Double A is for student athletes. Enough enough, some of the players are making more than the people in the NC Double A.
Speaker 2: It's business.
Speaker 1: It's business now, it's all business.
Speaker 2: What happens to the nil? Now? Now that the schools and where do they get this twenty million dollars? Are they assuming that every school is going to have twenty million dollars in a pool to play pay their their athletes? Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And if you don't at the D one level, Yeah, And if you don't, you better explain why explain why.
Speaker 2: You didn't disperse twenty million dollars.
Speaker 1: Sure, it's sort of like, uh, you know, there's a minimum threshold you have to hit in the.
Speaker 2: NBA right right in the NFL nowadays.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Now, this is a cap on how much you can do. So they're not telling schools you have to spend this much. They are telling you this is as much as you can spend. Right now, that's what it is that you can spend you will spend. It's up to twenty and a half million dollars.
Speaker 2: So if the school is not as solvent as some of the other schools, they may only have fifteen million.
Speaker 6: To spend yep or five five may two men.
Speaker 2: So then where does the where does the collectives play in? You can still have the collectives give as much. I saw there was a six hundred dollars cap on collective now, so what's the deal? Un collective?
Speaker 5: The collectives are no longer in the business of actually giving money to the program. It comes directly from the program. What the collectives can do is act as a marketing arm for the schools to try to find nil deals for the athletes. But money is no longer coming directly from any nil or an athlete get.
Speaker 2: Can an athlete get money from the collective marketing deals and marketing deals outside of what they've negotiated with the school itself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so the school can give I'll just say quarterback.
Speaker 5: Why if they want to give him four million dollars if a twenty and a half, now that quarterback and also go talk to the to the collective, and the collective says, all right, we got ford, we got this, we got that. We'll talk to them on your behalf and see if we can set up some sort of deal for your a broker, some sort of relationship between the two of you, and see if you can work something out.
Speaker 6: We'll work as a marketing.
Speaker 2: Arm force for a unlimited amount.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and above six hundred dollars, there's a committee that has the vet the amount that you're getting, whether or not it's actually a fair market value. There's a whole system that's put in place where nil is now being policed. Whereas before it was not right.
Speaker 2: It wasn't it was a town with I was sure. But so if it's above six hundred dollars, a committee goes in and goes, well, well, what the work that he's doing is not warring team? You paying him a million bucks? Yes, and they can they can shut it down. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So in booster giving the entire University of Utah football team, all of them giant trucks, just because they go to Utah in the name of nil can no longer happen. We have to prove you're like, all right, the marketing deal between you and this backup offensive lineman is as fruitful for you as it would be for you and that star defensive end.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So opposed to is.
Speaker 6: Just giving money to whom whoever joins a pro.
Speaker 2: Trying to rein it back into competitive balance again, because this is not gonna it's not gonna sit well with the you know Michigan, Ohio State's usc you know Florida teams like that, that's got a bunch of nil money, SMU, bunch of nil money. But they they've got to be regulated and how they disperse.
Speaker 1: That they're controlling the free market.
Speaker 2: You can't do that. Yeah, you can't do it.
Speaker 1: Uh, Okay. My n ideal with Rodney Pete it's a million dollars. And what does Rodney do for his million dollars? Well, he comes in and uh, you know, once a month greets people and they come in the store. That's worth a million dollars to me. So I'm giving Rodney a million. Now, I on an independent panel will determined Rodney, you're being overpaid. Really, I think it's worth a million dollars that I'm paying, but these people are telling me it's not.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I don't think that's gonna work, and it ain't gonna work. Right, how do you value you know? You may be you know, the quarterback at UCLA. I'll flip it, right. The quarterback at UCLA is a high priced, high profile hesman. Just won the Heisman Trophy the year before, right, and he's coming back for his junior year now, and you're telling me he can only get six hundred dollars. He can't sign autographs or be at a store for a million dollars that we're paying him when everybody's showing up to come see him. It doesn't work.
Speaker 5: So it says this this clearing house that was created because of this, uh, this settlement between House and the NCAA. Deals that are deemed to exceed fair market value will be sent to a neutral arbitrator for review or can be rejected by the athlete.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Here here's the thing that would be like the review sent to review to.
Speaker 6: An arbitrator yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So so iHeart, iHeart calls Kevin and says, Kevin, I think your job is worth a million dollars. We're going to pay a million dollars. And then they go to an independent arbitrator and they say, no, it's worth a hundred Really, that's how this is going to work. I think it's worth this, and I'm paying. Well, you're wrong. We will tell you what it's worth. But it's my money. I can do with it as I want.
Speaker 2: You care you can't, No, you can't.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: That's how we got to nil. That's how we got here in the first place. Right is so, no, how are you gonna do that? How are you going to regulate? And I name, image, likeness. You're telling me, mister independent arbitrator, that what my name, image and likeness is worth.
Speaker 2: That Susie Smith is worth the same as Juju Watkins.
Speaker 1: Is that what you're determining?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So when I do a national commercial, a national spot as a college player, and the company says, all right, you'll make three appearances, you'll do the spot. It's worth five hundred thousand dollars the independent arbitrators, or a million dollars the independent arbitrator goes, no, it's not. I'm sorry, that's wrong. It's worth two hundred thousand. That's what you're gonna do.
Speaker 5: I don't know how they arrive at this by an example I'm using in my mind to try to at least somewhat.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I don't really know.
Speaker 5: I kind of agree with you guys if they're saying, I'm just using blanket insurance companies. All right, State Farms willing to pay Juju Watkins five million dollars. Okay, all right, let's check with all State and Geico and all these What are you guys? What would you guys be willing to do based on what you believe she can bring you? And they say, I think it's this. I think it's this, So all right, well stay farmed. You said you're willing to pay her five I got five other companies that said they're willing to pay her less than that, so therefore that's not fair market value. That Maybe that's how they're going to try to do that. I have no idea, but the spirit of why they're doing.
Speaker 2: This is trying to prevent the one say I would pay her nothing top dollar, right, and there would be one that's out pay her. I wouldn't pay her anything, but there is always going to be one. Did you are you kidding me? If there's anybody in there with the salt? Oh yeah, I pay a million dollars. The exposure we get by having her we pay. Can we pay her more? That's what some of them would say.
Speaker 1: Why if you're running a successful business, that's what you'll say, Yes, right, Lebron James. That would be like Lebron's in college and somebody says they're gonna be a million dollars to endorse something. No, right now, Lebron James signs an endorsement deal with somebody, but before they can go through, the dependent arbitrator must determine if that is fair market value. Fair market value is what the market pays you. That is fair market value. You always get what the market provides. So if somebody wants to pay you two times as much as somebody else, they must really want you and that's okay, Well they.
Speaker 5: Really want your part as part of it because they're trying to find a way to avoid pay for play.
Speaker 6: That's why they put this in to begin with.
Speaker 5: It may pay for play, yeah, but that's that's not what the spirit of NIL ever was supposed to be, and that's what it turned into.
Speaker 6: So that's what they're trying to police.
Speaker 5: Because Ohio State can pay afford to pay x player so much more money through this NIL, it makes it unfair for other schools to who can't compete with that regulate it too bad.
Speaker 2: That's life.
Speaker 1: It's awful, it's sad. I'm sorry. Nobody likes it, but that's life. That's just the way it works.
Speaker 5: Well as of right now, it's not under this current settlement. But the SaaS, I don't.
Speaker 2: See how they enforced that. I don't see how they enforced the sixteen dollars rule. They can't. Well are they gonna do it?
Speaker 1: What are you gonna get suspended again?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, so right, And the schools are obligated to try to figure out how to spread this twenty million dollars around to different athletes.
Speaker 6: Which is all independent of that by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all independent. But they don't want to look like you know, they don't want to look like asses trying to say, oh, the football teams gets everything and nobody else gets anything, and all of a sudden, nobody wants to come in there for any other sports. So they got to spread it out. And then you're telling me, nil, the collective groups that have been in place for the last three years, four years can't supplement that for their quarterback or their linebacker, their safety or wide receiver.
Speaker 1: Come on, terrible, terrible, fred Let's go well, they'll get suit over this too. Whoever's making this rule of the NC double all, they'll get it again and they'll lose again. They just can't understand what this has become. It's pro sports. Pay the guys they can make whatever they can make, and stop with the student athletes stuff.
Speaker 4: Hello Rogan and Rodney listener, did you know AM five seventy LA Sports has a wide range of LA sports podcasts. Shows like petros in Money. We are streaming Matt Dodger Talk with David Vasse, the Dodger Podcast of Record, Clipper Talk Without a Musk, follow us all and many more. Just go to AM five to seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: No you can't mean.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Rodney, Pete, Fred Rogan on a Monday. Come on, let's wind it down, Freddy, All right.
Speaker 1: So this this will be big the series down in San Diego, their first opportunity to say hello to each other. I know the place will be rocking down there. Those people will be completely out of their mind. And by the way, there is a lot of energy at Petco Park when something bigger is going on with the Padres play. So that is going to have I think tonight Rodney a world Series or at least playoff atmosphere.
Speaker 2: Absolutely it will. It will because they they hear everything that happens up here in La Dodgers. Everybody loves the Dodgers, all the money that the Dodgers spend, all the stars that are the Dodgers. They're like, you know, the hell with them. We need our respect, and they want to get their respect by beating the Dodgers. And you know, you can motivate yourself however you want to motivate yourself but they still got to play them. And so yeah, it's a big deal. And I think we threw it out there before, is this bigger for the Padres or bigger for the Dodgers mission? And I was thinking that it's it's bigger, it's it's not that great for either team. But I think this one, now that I look at it, is bigger for the Padres than it is for the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you are in the position you're in, these are always bigger unless they will determine the outcome of a season for that team, the team that lost last year. So it'll be fun. Dylan Cees, Dustin May will have the game of the radio station, Ronnie, thank you, Kevin, terrific job, and Rodney will talk about Game one tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.