Speaker 1: This is I on the Bomb with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifth Day powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most Prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Hey, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and with me today is Dave Silver Usual Tuesday Spot Day.
Speaker 3: Welcome back back in again.
Speaker 2: You didn't bring a jacket.
Speaker 3: Didn't bring a jacket. Kind of the coldest studio I've ever been in, but it's great to be here.
Speaker 2: You could run outside, come back in and feel true.
Speaker 3: It's refreshed for like two minutes summertime, and Tucson is here and it's not even summer.
Speaker 2: At least. We're paying our electric bill here at the studio too much though, because it's like sixty five degrees. Yeah. If I catch gold, I know who to sue. No, No, just just joking, just joking. I love my job. Hey, good see Dave. For a lot of stuff going on. Let's start with some breaking news. You go on some baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean Oregon State's trying to stay alive against Louisville, who you know, knocked out the Wildcats. A couple of days ago. It's six to six. They're playing in the ninth inning. The Beavers have just scored a couple of runs in the top of the ninth similar, kind of a similar situation. Louisville bode this time was the one that made the cost of the error. There's two outs and they do have runners at second and third, so Oregon State still has a chance and they could be going to extra innings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well there it's the top right, it's the top of the sixth, top to the ninth with six so Louisville still has a chance. But they scored the runs on the same type of miscue that Arizona had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was six to four. They had bases loaded, grounder a short and the ball went right underneath his glove. So I don't know, he was obviously thinking maybe about getting a double play at least didn't get anything. Two runs came in. Now they still have runners at second and third, and again they do have the bottom of the ninth to deal with as well. But earlier, you know, LSU played UCLA, so that one went to LSU nine to five. Winter That was a winner's bracket game that was kind of carried over from yesterday with the weather. So they're both.
Speaker 2: Still LSU and mister Johnson's continues to roll.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they get their two wins, so they're in great shape. Yeah, whereas you know, UCLA is gonna have to fight back out of the elimination game the next time they played.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know Jay. I did on one big story on him when he first got here. I don't know him that well, but given the anamasity the Arizona has for him, he must be a very good coach. Yeah. What he's done is pretty good, right, because he knows the game and knows how to handle all the kids.
Speaker 3: I was kind of waiting to see you a few more stories about that. Well, both teams were there.
Speaker 2: We we talked about that yesterday and we talked about it with Michael Lev. They had their press conference, right, but I don't think Arizona people were there yet. The press conference of Michael Lev was not there, but he had a question in the queue on Zoom. Each coach has thirty minutes. Some of the other schools went twenty minutes, fifteen minutes, twenty minutes. LSU took all its thirty minutes and didn't have a chance to go to any zoom questions, so he didn't get.
Speaker 3: Never got the question. I know, you think that would have been one of the you know, prime stories of the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but people on Els you don't give a crap, I mean, because they've already dealt with him, right, Yeah, yeah, there's only people that do is from here.
Speaker 3: From Tucson. And who was there. Basically we had a couple of riots.
Speaker 2: Right, Javiier, we had Brian, we had Lori, but not a whole lot. The thing is, I know Jabier was not there because I guess this flight delayed the day. I don't know about Brian on his situation, but yeah, it was not talked.
Speaker 3: About and not being in the same bracket, and it would have you know, again, I think we talked last week. I think the only time they would have even gotten to play each other would have been in the championship series. Yeah, so, you know right, I mean it was nice.
Speaker 2: It's the same situation if Arizona plays in the same bracket as Texas and basketball. And not that the departure was hate field or hate field or otherwise. But Sean, you know, can you talk about your time here in Arizona you know he's gonna be diplomatic and you know it's going to happen. Oh yeah, at some point it's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Likes to do that, and they'll put together some matchup with where they meet and you know, the Sweet sixteen or something somewhere along the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so we'll see what, you know, maybe not still average. I'm not older.
Speaker 3: You know, Christie, who are you again?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, you look for me here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised too, if well, I don't know if Sean Miller wants to do it, but you know, if they if they do set up a series here, I don't think I remember. I mean Greg Burn's kind of done that with Alabama basketball especially, so yeah, maybe not with basketball, but no.
Speaker 2: You know, he's weird. He's rear view mirrored that ERRS on a program and why why bring it up? Right? It's kind of like Tommy and uh and uh Gonzaga. It went no part of that, yeah, no part of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I mean he didn't leave under no weird circumstances there either. And he's I'm sure he's you know, he's still good buddies with.
Speaker 2: Oh yea with Mark f you. Yeah, they don't want to mess with that. If they happen to play each other, well, that's just what it is, right, not not deliberately trying to play that, right. Yeah, So we'll see what happens today's show. We have time to get calls, maybe ten minutes. We're gonna have a rich Tomy here on the show at that three seventeen.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's part of that big Coaching Alliance thing that he's I think he's the president or CEO, so something like that. Tell me the Coaching Alliance a positive coaching alliance. Yes, he's been there for a while. We've had him on the show a number of times in the past. I think last year was at this time was about the same time he came on, or the last time he came on. We'll talk about that. His dad's legacy. I think they've started something with that, and just maybe how his dad would be handling Nil, what do you care about this stuff? Of course, what do you have to do? Yeah, but you know Howie would he handle his says, you know, le's somebody else. I'm just here to coach. Let's somebody else deal with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, it seems like a lot of the teams are doing right, aren't they hiring these gms and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with one side, I kind of like, how'd that go? How would you pay the kid better?
Speaker 3: Proxactly? Yeah, well, I mean Arizona apparently they're running for a pretty good court that we're reading today. A four star QB from the La area. Oscar Rios is his name. He's looking at Arizona and UCLA has two choices, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Could be good, could be good. Did you get I'm gonna go into a place I hate going into what I'm gonna do it? Anyway? Did you get caught up in the old the recruiting stuff when you were on that side of the more of.
Speaker 3: It was locally, I would say, I don't know. I mean, you know, we kind of we would go out on signing day and do a big, big day of coverage things like that, but it's more about coverage, Yeah, but not like ongoing unless some unless one of the you know, four stars or five star players from here, was going to make some announcement during this during the year, we would do that. But no, we didn't like, hey, here's the daily update kind of thing like newspapers sometimes.
Speaker 2: I hated and my as I got out of it, obviously, I used to say, and I still hate it because Okay, you get all these recruits these oh god, what a great recruit, What a great recruit. Okay, talk to me in four years and how it turned back, because you don't know until it's happened. Yeah, yeah, Okay, you know I'm going to the moon, Dave, I'm going to the moon. I'm promised, I'm gonna go to them, Dave. If you tell me this, Dave, Steve, when you get to the moon, you tell me it'll be a story. When you get to the moon. Don't tell me about the moon. Yeah, because that's how the recruiting news. Oh we got this guy, we got this guy. Let me tell you they've had some pretty good recruits over the years due how many find them? Never how many roseballs? Exactly. Yeah, I mean it's one of the situation. And the coaches will say that too.
Speaker 3: Usually. You know, I'm big, you know, when I have a signing day events, you know, the boosters coming in or whatever. Yeah, and they kind of temper their feelings sometimes just by saying, you know what, let's just see how this plays out, right, especially in football, and you're bringing in like over twenty kids and maybe half pan out. Never yeah, never even get on the field.
Speaker 2: Sure. The one guy that I talk about every now and again is Retrock. He went to the festival, right, played very well. He had some pretty good recruits to wear brothers or something like that numbers, and they didn't pan out. And I thought he'd get some legs from that greatness or that's the right word, right success, And no, it didn't happen. It was still talking about Okay, gee's he's still talking about we're not recruiting, you know what I'm saying. It didn't mean much.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean even Arizona after the Fiesta Bowl, and we can maybe talk to rich about this. After that festival, you know, they kind of sputtered the next year after the twelve and one season exactly. You know, they didn't They didn't do great and actually, you know coach toll Me only lasted I guess another one more year after that ninety eight after having such a great ninety eight year. Sure, it just didn't didn't pan out. Yeah, No, just the way it is.
Speaker 2: That's why I don't get too caught up and into recruiting and all these guys because a lot of them don't pan out. You know when Seun got here, Remember you had the Sayah Turner, Sad Johnson, all these guys, no, not so loud even make it to January. They made it till the end of the year and then they were gone. Yeah, they were gone. That was fast. Yeah, yeah, and the best guys were thereon Gore's a guy that wasn't really recruited at TJ. McConnell and and it got just a dude right. In fact, we're going to have the beat writer for the Indianapolis Star here at the four seventeen. He's trying to get out of Denver and I guess there's been a lot of fight delays, so we're gonna have him on at four seventeen just talk to talk about him and McConnell and and after it. Yeah, because TJ was a fantastic again.
Speaker 3: Inster against yesterday and they took him out, which is kind of weird. I mean, as soon as he left the court they couldn't do anything offensively.
Speaker 2: There was a sprink there where he scored like almost every point. Yeah, you're thinking what and he was near the basket kind of gibber jabbering in and out and blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: I mean, all these other guys are out there trying to set up for three point shots and he's the one penetrating and dishing.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: He took a couple of shots too, but yeah, I mean he was so effective and then as soon as he was done, if he was tired or whatever, but you know, he take him out. And that's Haliburton was was just a shell of himself all game. Yeah, and they couldn't do anything. That's one to five turnovers and what five possessions. It's pretty bad.
Speaker 2: That's what I wanted to ask the beat writer and just lost his name real quick. But he's going to come on here to see what that the coach has this Rick Carlisle, Yeah, Carlo has this has this system that he uses. It's justin do prick, where where he must have some set sequences of events to put in Mathron and and McConnell and then once those sort out throughout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's just a strange kind of a it's an interesting rotation rotation because I mean, again TJ was really the impetus of that rally.
Speaker 2: Last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's been you know, pretty good throughout most of the series, and you know when he's when he's on the bench, they're struggling just to get the ball in. I mean, they couldn't even run any kind of offense. It was pretty weird.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we'll have them told me at three seventeen and uh do prick pric at the four seventeen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The meantime, it looks like the Wildcats may have lost their pitching coach.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the other one.
Speaker 3: That was the other breaking from Kevin Van. He was huge. He's been big in recruiting and big inches i think messaging to some of these guys. But it looks like San Diego State it's going to be his next destination. It's Brian Peterson's reporting that in all sports on easy Desert swarm. But yeah, it's gonna be an interesting could be an interesting series of events if players want to go with him possibly or maybe the recruits who we had, you know, kind of hoping to get here may want to go with him there.
Speaker 2: Well, that was the thing I think that Michael lef talked about a little yesterday. Because the chip is not under contract, right yet at least that we know of.
Speaker 3: And neither is this guy. Neither is Kevin.
Speaker 2: And then I was kind of the part so that he can give Chip some money, more money and his assistants more money. Well, it's hard to even if you've got more money, it's hard to turn down a head coaching job. And the San Diego State have they been good in the past? Have they been good in the recent PA?
Speaker 3: Not really, I don't think. I mean, I'm you know, I'm gonna lum so I sort of keep my eye on it. But I mean, Tony gwyn was their coach, you know, many ten to fifteen years ago, but they've kind of just not really been much of a factor.
Speaker 2: And you think they would be, right, Yeah, given the good facilities, good weather.
Speaker 3: Obviously whatever league they're in these days might be an issue, right, So who knows how the competition is going to be. I guess are they going to be in the PAC twelve? Is that one of the schools?
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing, I mean, that's I think that's a big blow to Chip because this guy was pretty good with the arms. Yeah, they did wonders, So we'll see. I guess six to six at the bottom of the ninth now with the little in Oregon State, So you know, strange things happened to other teams, not just Arizona.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially well, and then you think about the players and all the transfer portal stuff and all the all the different things that have been going on. But now when your coaches are going to and what are the players going to think? Hey, you know, maybe I'll go to someplace like San Diego or someplace where you know, we've got basically got Cramkowski and Smith Bailey, the two top two pitchers would be coming back. You'd hope that would still be the case. Yeah, and that you know, they wouldn't take off, but you never Now you don't know what their relationship was with their coach, right, and that maybe was something that he would be able to entice them to go to California.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess. Well, in a matter of time, we'll find out what's going on down the road. Okay, let's take a break here and get ahold of Ritch toll me.
Speaker 7: Looking for quality windows without the weight. Come to the window depot. We carry a huge selection of mill Guard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom, no problem from new construction to full home replacement. Will help you order the perfect mill guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, The Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the Window deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard window experts. The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles in stock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 7: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Mandy to Go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window deepot dot Com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 8: Richard bacall Law Office, defending Arizonaans for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to Roho twelve thirteen broud sponsor of Eye on the Ball, Go Cats. Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional products supplier.
Speaker 2: Give them an award they can be proud of.
Speaker 8: They have trophies, plax acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stuff and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 9: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking to start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games.
Speaker 2: From rare fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 3: Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 9: Check them out at showtimecards dot com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust showtime cards for their passion.
Speaker 10: At Nova Homelans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or called five two o six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BKO nine two nine four two Equal housing Opportunity, how to commitment to Lendrick Syncredic greats and available loan programs or something to change with the notice?
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 11: Ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort. Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the soul of two side. Are you ready?
Speaker 3: Enterprise of Fasca Yaki Tribe.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials in decative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero or zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 5: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents? Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: Why is mining so important.
Speaker 12: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, ron and modernize, it has delayed solely on the animals process. That's fine. Line name is so.
Speaker 10: Gody BECHYBM dot com.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Subscribe now to the.
Speaker 1: Podcast on the iHeartRadio while just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my about here on Fox Sports Fortune fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Dave silver Phone. We have rich Tony from the Positive Coaching Alliance.
Speaker 3: How are you doing?
Speaker 6: Rich doing great?
Speaker 5: How are you guys?
Speaker 2: We're doing well. Thanks for joining us. Good to hear your voice. It's been a while you too, Yeah, well, how are things going up to the Coaching Alliance?
Speaker 6: It's been great.
Speaker 4: We're been a busy summer for us.
Speaker 6: We're just doing our workshops out in the community and just growing across the country. A lot of great strategic partnerships we're putting together, and uh, you know, it's nice to see us keep growing and making an impact. So it's been fun.
Speaker 3: What what is your specific role with the with the Alliance? I know your title, but what do you do say day to day to work with kids and work with coaches.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we, uh you know, obviously our mission is uh developed better athletes, better people.
Speaker 6: So we you know, spend a lot of our time working with school districts and youth sports organizations and really.
Speaker 4: Any any organization, and you know, provide tools and resources for parents, coaches, and athletes on essentially all the off the field stuff, character, leadership, development, social media, how to manage their you know, their brand.
Speaker 6: If you will, just just really trying to teach.
Speaker 2: All the all the.
Speaker 6: Great lessons that sports teaches us. And really that's that's the you know, you play sports your whole life and you learn the great lessons. I think you know a lot of you know, I always liking it to my dad and how he taught amazing lessons and made such an impact in people's lives players.
Speaker 4: You know, that still ring true today and I think, you know, he really understood that, and I.
Speaker 6: Think you know more coaches like that really is what put me in this role and just just the impact someone can have in someone's life and really changed their lives. So that's that's kind of the fun part.
Speaker 4: Of what I do and really trying to deliver that message.
Speaker 2: So I don't you know, you've been on the show a number of times over a number of years. Was there a model before this or is this the first and only?
Speaker 6: I mean, there's other groups around the country that do similar things, but you know, we're we're probably one of the largest in this space across the country. We have, you know, work we do in all fifty states and internationally.
Speaker 4: So really we're we're sort of the gold standard when it comes to this type of character and leadership development. And you know, my job, I run Arizona primarily, but I also oversee Whai as well as Nevada, so I've got kind of our our little region here that I kind of oversee, which is fun and uh, you know, just just really trying to raise raised, you know, support development funding to help us put our workshops on and make sure we're delivering as many as we can for for everyone that wants.
Speaker 2: To do it.
Speaker 3: So do you go to like a a high school and get you know, gather various sports together, like you know, girls soccer and boys baseball. I mean, is that the way it works? Are you trying to individual at the Yeah?
Speaker 6: Really, we do.
Speaker 4: Well, it's it's it looks a lot different in a lot of places. Ideally, you know, we'll work with the school district. We actually do a lot with Tucson Unified School District where we'll you know, they'll bring in their athletic directors, we'll do some training for all the coaches at you know, specific schools. Usually it's you know, we'll work with the district and then we'll go out to each school individually. We work closely with the Arizona Interscholastics Association, so we'll do training programs at their big coaches meetings every year where you have hundreds of coaches in the room, you know, just just really trying to deliver this content to you know, the coaches first, the ads, you know, the athletes, and then obviously the parents are another huge part of what we do. So we can do them in person or you know online or zoom. And we also have you know, online training courses we do that you don't need a person or a trainer per se. So really it's you know, it looks a lot different in a lot of places across the country, but you know, the impact here in Arizona, we probably impact close to eighty thousand kids a.
Speaker 2: Year across the state.
Speaker 4: So we're all over, you know, southern Arizona, here in Phoenix, as well as northern Arizona. So it's it's really widespread, and you know, we're just we're just trying to trying to a little difference.
Speaker 2: So you've been with them four or five years, maybe more?
Speaker 4: Yeah, shoot, I guess it's like six or seven years now at least, So.
Speaker 2: Let me let me track. So let me ask you, although you probably every year is different, right, everybody comes in and new parents come in and new leadership comes in. Do you see more of a need now than maybe when you first came in? And I say that because I'm on the show a lot saying that the worst thing to happen to kids or parents because of now it's nil. You know, their kid, little junior might be the key to success and getting the financials for the family. Does that make any sense? Maybe not. I lost him. He'll probably call back. But you understand the question, right, Dave, where it's kind.
Speaker 3: Of like, yeah, I mean there's things that our generation wasn't even thinking about right as we're coming out of high school.
Speaker 2: He's back, He's back. Did you get my question?
Speaker 13: All?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I did. Sorry, I'm not sure what happened there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know what, I think there.
Speaker 4: Is a big need now and I think it really, you know, social media has really changed sports in general. I mean I never had that, you know, we never had that grown up. I mean just there's just such a one upness to you know, everybody on social media. We're all guilty of it. You know, our kids, you know, really fall fall victim, do a lot of bad things. So, you know, just really, you know, one of the courses we teach a lot is about people managing their brand. I mean obviously we see kids posting stuff, and you know, recruiters are looking at your at your at your handle every you know, so really what you put out there is your brand. So you know, obviously kids kids in.
Speaker 6: Their handling theirs their social media, and.
Speaker 4: Then obviously parents are a huge, huge, you know issue these days. I think It's always been that way, but I think more so than ever, we all see the videos of the fights and the you know, just the horrible stuff going on. So I think, you know, people lose sight really quickly of why we play sports, and you know, we need to let the kids, you know, be be the ones on the field and we need to cheer them on. But you know, parents a lot of times will ruin that as well as coaches. So you know, really, I think it's needed now more than ever with all the mental health issues going on.
Speaker 6: Across the country and just different stuff.
Speaker 4: So we're, you know, we're at the forefront of all that and it's been been fun to kind of be a part of it.
Speaker 2: If I could have real quick So so in my time covering Luke for you know, the almost twenty five years, there may have been one or two, maybe three. Parents are kind of helicopter even their kids at this level, right, so you know, what's going on with the son. He's gonna getting playing time, YadA, YadA. I'm wondering because you're the son of diactomy. I'm sure were there many or many parents have gotten involved because I'm sure that he kind of said, Dad, I'm mightna have to deal with this again.
Speaker 4: Not as much as you'd think, honestly, I think he well, the cool thing about him was he had a pretty good open door, so he actually embraced talking to parents. I don't really know specifically. I'm sure there were some tough conversations, you know, with my boys not playing or nothing of that, and you know, I get I'm sure there was. I don't I never did really see that, but I gotta think. I mean, I remember talking to Chip Hale when he was managing the Diamondbacks and he said he had parents reaching out to him about on the diamond you know, it's just like it never ends. You know, It's like it's it's just he was laughing when because he Chip does some stuff for us off and on. So it's just funny. You know, it really never ends. But I obviously it gets a little a little less and less the higher you get.
Speaker 6: Up, I would imagine.
Speaker 3: So I was gonna say, at least on your LinkedIn page, you have you know, senior Regional Director DA DA DA, and you have the Dictomy Legacy Fund. Can you explain that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So we So when I when my dad passed.
Speaker 4: Away in twenty nineteen, I decided to create a you know, essentially a fund under his name through Positive Coaching Alliance, where we would use that money to do impact in Arizona and Hawaii specifically the places where he coached and you know, meant the most to him. So once I you know, we created that in twenty nineteen and then fast forward to you know, this year. It's still going strong. You know, we've raised over six hundred thousand dollars through that fund, which is pretty amazing. And uh, you know, we that fund goes into a reserve account which I control. It basically will earmark towards specific programming. So if there's a school district or a need out in the community that can't have funding, I will pull funding from that and we'll use that to do the do the work. So it's really been fun to to have that. It's really been I mean, over the years just supported tremendously. The Pebble Beach Coaches Class Thick which was just up in Pebble Beach. My dad started that years and you know, thirty forty years ago and it's still going. So that's a that's a it's a golf tournant where all the college you know, D one coaches come, they bring some donors. I know Brent Brennan was just up there Dino was up there and they bring some of the U of A donors and they played pebble and figlass, couple other courses up there and and it's just a fun time for them to get together. But they do donate, you know, to a specific charity each year, and luckily for PCA, they've they've chosen us the last few years to kind of underwrite to you know, support so which makes sense because obviously my dad was a big part of why that tournament exists, and it just seems to really.
Speaker 2: Tie in well.
Speaker 4: So it's fun for me to be able to just still carry on his legacy the way the way it is, and uh, you know, people more than ever even to this day, just just really appreciate the impact that he had and and I just I love to be able to tell people about him and obviously just continue his impact and and just just a really great thing. And people can learn more about that if they go to Positive Coach dot org backslash Tony Fund f U n D and they'll see all the information there about about what they what that is and if they ever wanted to give or anything to that.
Speaker 2: You also something coming up next month, right, I guess somewhere in Payson.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we have our annual fundraiser golf tournament and called our Beat the Heat Classic.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: We do it up last year, last couple years we've done it up at the Rim Club in Payson, which is a beautiful private course up there. Obviously we want to try and get out of the heat, so people have been you know, willing and able to make that drive up to Paysin. It's about twenty degrees cooler. This year it's at Chaparral Pines and uh, just a fun day. We get all the you know Cardinals and the Diamondbacks. You of a sends up a team issue. We had a lot of great support from the High School Association and.
Speaker 6: Just just a great day.
Speaker 4: And you know, obviously it's it's to raise money for PCA and just just a fun day. Mike Candrea is playing this year. So just just a really fun experience and look forward to it every year.
Speaker 3: Before we let you go, what would Dick tell me be like as a coach in twenty twenty five, twenty twenty six, would he be able to handle everything that's happened in the sports Man?
Speaker 4: You know what I've talked. I was just talking to someone about that the other day.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, honestly, I think he would. I think he would adjust. But at the same time, I know a lot of coaches that I've talked to, like in his era, who are still coaching, and you know, just saying how tough it is. I mean, it's it's really it's really hard to develop a program the way my dad did, like by you know, bringing in young guys, developing them, you know, and he just can't do that anymore. You just really have to recruit back your own team. I think he would be.
Speaker 6: Great at you know, keeping guys around.
Speaker 4: And I feel like he would do well. But I do think it's such a challenge. You know, you look at Nick Saban and guys that are just like forgetting I'm done with this, and you know, it's it's difficult, and you know, it's it's a whole new world, and it's changed college sports in general. I mean it's you hardly even see guys recruiting high school much anymore, you know, other than football. It's just like you plucked from.
Speaker 3: The other d one.
Speaker 4: Programs less of programs, and you know, I don't know, I got I like to think he would do great, but at the same time, I feel like it would be a little bit of a frustrating experience form So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question. Just maybe lastly for me, your baseball program did very well. Did it make you proud.
Speaker 6: The Cats?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they I was.
Speaker 4: So happy for them and Chip and just great to see them, you know, get to them. Obviously, you know, would like to see him play a couple more games, but I'm very proud of them and just great to see them really get back to Themah is just a feat in itself. So just really proud of them and excited for for the future. Chip's done a great job, and just just really happy for him.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe lastly, you give us that website so if people want to help or or need help or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, in general, if you go to positive coach dot org, you can you know, see all the great things we do and obviously get in contact with with anyone there and myself on there. And then if you wanted to get more information on the Dicktmey Legacy Fund, that's Positive coach dot org backslash HEMI fund, and you can learn more there and contribute or reach out to me directly on there and love to get people involved at all levels. So just appreciate, appreciate you guys helping me out there.
Speaker 2: Sure of course. Awesome. Good to hear from you. To Rich take care.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great to hear you, guys. Boys.
Speaker 2: We'll talk fans, Okay, we will, Rich, we will enjoy that one one hundred and fourteen degree weather.
Speaker 4: Oh geez, now same here, all right, thanks you take care, Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: Take you all right? All right, Rich, tell me good to talk to him. We'll take a quick break and come back.
Speaker 14: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's peace mean more money in your pocket, let's havesle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book Lessons from Loot It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Net is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: Craving Tucson's Best Burger. The Fourth Avenue legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 2: Hey, Tucsons, Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 8: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degreeer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 5: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 16: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the vest you deserve Arizona Health, The Leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment Arizona.
Speaker 10: Health, Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 16: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the vest you deserve. Arizona Health, The Leading Edge and exercise Equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Wall on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show? Call up Steve now went five to two, Oh foe.
Speaker 2: They welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera, You're Dave Silver. If you listen to the promo, give us a call on ant to the phones gets you on the show five two zero four one, six seventy four forty. I don't have ray, so beware you might not be able to pick up. Huh. I can see it. I just don't know. If they call us, I'm good. If I have to call them, I'm not too bad. That's good. But we're fine, We're fine. Uh. There's a final indie game that we were talking about, Louisville there is.
Speaker 3: The Beavers are out. Louisville wins seven to six, so Oregon State's eliminated.
Speaker 2: So the last real team that we're familiar.
Speaker 3: With, you see CLA, they're still around. They're gonna play later tonight again, they already played today. They're gonna play Arkansas. So Arkansas hasn't lost yet, right, so they have to beat them twice.
Speaker 2: These formats are strange. I mean, I know they're that wrong. Anyway, they're pod you know, they're pods. One side one decide they should just play like the women. I think that the you.
Speaker 3: Know, I'm sorry Arkansas has they lost their first game, but anyway, and they're not gonna be able to throw their pitcher who tossed the no hitter yesterday. So I wonderful. I'll be able to come back. I would I would be sure. So believe they get beyond.
Speaker 2: Yesterday Monday, Monday, so probably Thursdays Saturday.
Speaker 3: They could play a game Thursday, so we'll see. Will begin on Saturday. No matter what.
Speaker 2: That was pretty dynamic Yestorday, So we'll see what Arizona does. I guess they've already elevated the assistant coach to be the pitching coach. At least that's what what you're seeing. That's what I saw on Asy Deserts form with Brian they've already moved him up. Can you find it to promote John d Run the pitching coach following Kevin Vince's departure, Sen Ugustin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be interesting. You know, when these coaches leave. It's one thing when the players leave, but when the coaches leave, that's a whole another. You know, part of the of the factor of how these teams are put together, especially with free free movement. Basically you just want to get up and go and join your coach, or you want to go to San Diego or whatever the deal is, or you want to stay who knows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think it's the San Diego State. Well, the San Diego Union Tribune was the team. That's a news source that broke the story.
Speaker 3: And Kevin is from San Diego, so sort of makes sense and natural makes sense. Yeah, yeah, you know San Diego State, home of our US Open champion by the.
Speaker 2: Way, j J.
Speaker 3: Small, Yeah issue, San Diego State, Alama.
Speaker 2: He's been all over the media last couple of days doing the rounds.
Speaker 3: Yes, this morning, two different shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Today show.
Speaker 3: He was always on there too. Today he was on McAfee. He was on Sports Center.
Speaker 2: Just a dude too, right, because he lost his card not too long ago, did he But he was he'd been so bad he had to be you know whatever, how that ever works?
Speaker 3: I mean, has a guy ever bogied the first five holes in the same day round in the last round and gone on to win. I mean it was such a while. That was a just the weirdest you golf day. I mean, I have I'm not a great golfer.
Speaker 2: Yeah me either, because I'm horrible. Yeah, and I hate being frustrated. I'm supposed to be having fun, true, chasing that little white ball. Oh damn it, give you water, I'll find it. Yeah, I'll find it or jactics or snake areas.
Speaker 3: I mean, remember, you know John Weinstein, the late John Feinstein wrote all those books about golf, but A good Walk spoiled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was one of the great titles of a golf book, right, right, that's funny. It's true for me at least, that's why you want to go golfing. No, I'd rather drive the cart and tell me where to go. Yeah, yeah, five four, one seventy calls. We would appreciate the call. Your thoughts on maybe the baseball season as it concluded Arizona. I guess Tommy and them have to cut down to twelve here pretty soon with their guys. I think they're at eighteen or whatever. Co Pete is having an outstanding or having that study session up in Colorado spring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting. That's a quick process when of these games beginning. Let's start soon, right, you.
Speaker 2: Know they start the twenty seventh dish twenty seventh next weekend. Yeah, so they have to still get ready for that and then go to Switzerland if they have any games.
Speaker 3: It's all good, just be practices thereineam together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. One of the things I learned in this that the coaches have no saying who gets to be on the team. Really, Yeah, it's because they don't want to be held accountable for your guy or so it's a it's a group of of other other.
Speaker 3: Than they're like a consortium of coaches. There's like five of them, pretty big, big ones too, right, I mean that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so the coaches won't you know, Bell, you Colpete's gonna be playing for you? So yeah, so no, So it's a group of coaches from somewhere other place.
Speaker 3: So they're not like Tommy's recruits.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, one of them did not make it, that Coleman kid, right, Holmes Homes is.
Speaker 3: The one whose brother played it was a Dayton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't I think. So, Okay, okay, so you know Tommy's out there doing his stuff. We'll see what happens. He's gone the road again and mister international.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's gonna be that's gonna be interesting and be fun for Tommy. I mean, he's kind of on that path. It looks like where he's going to maybe get into that whole USA basketball coaching mix that Steve Kerr is kind of wrapping up, I guess, right, But you know, it takes a lot of years to get to that level.
Speaker 2: And he's in pretty quickly. Yeah, pretty young. He's you know, what is the fifteen fifties. Yeah, if that's so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So he's uh, he's in a good spot. I mean, it's a lot of respect that USA basketball show up for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well when you're you know, the right hand man to you guy, a good zaga, Yeah, and then doing really well here or you know what's perceived to be really well. Oh, we'll see. We'll see. In his style, I think he you know, lets him play, go up and down, play to their enjoyment. So we'll see. Hold on, we got to call hello, you're in the air, an iball. Who's this?
Speaker 4: I trust?
Speaker 13: How you guys doing?
Speaker 2: Richard? What's the word you didn't text me today?
Speaker 4: So hey, hey, it's hot? Hey, I just real quickly.
Speaker 13: You know this tush push controversy with Jalen Hurts, right, yeah, uh, you know, it's it's kind of boring to sister quarterback sneak. The thing is this, he he's the strongest quarterback knowing the history.
Speaker 3: Of the NFL, I believe.
Speaker 13: So that's why it's so successful. And they tried to change the rules, which didn't work. But you're just gonna have a hard time starting stopping him. That guy squatted six hundred pounds his senior year in college. Is that why they created Can you tell me any any NFL quarterbacks ever.
Speaker 2: Been that strong?
Speaker 5: Ever?
Speaker 2: Hold on? Hold on up the top of my head.
Speaker 3: Uh no, yeah, hold on, Tim Tebow?
Speaker 4: No, he squatted four or five at Texas.
Speaker 2: And what is Allen's not this strong as No, no.
Speaker 3: Nobody is.
Speaker 4: He led the weight lifting room at the University of Goldcomo.
Speaker 13: And that played there that one year.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 13: You know, I see him really as an Alabama quarterback.
Speaker 3: But anyway, he's.
Speaker 4: Just too strong, and that's why he's so successful. You know, you don't change the rules.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: They said lou Al Sandra couldn't dump. It was too gloring.
Speaker 13: They outlawed it for a while, you know.
Speaker 4: Uh, it was just his talent.
Speaker 2: That made it able to do it.
Speaker 13: Same thing with this guy. So anyway, whatever anything else, I wanted to say that the quarterback sneak as part of football. Football is part of rugby.
Speaker 2: This is the way it rolls. Are we going to hear anything you don't like it?
Speaker 4: Stopping. We can hear anything Chine.
Speaker 2: The suitors, anything with the suitors, this stuff fault. Uh, they better be better.
Speaker 13: I think I'm afraid. You know, this is the do or die year. You know, if they don't, if they go downhill this year, they could fall into the abyss. Wow, I'm curious.
Speaker 2: You know, they lost.
Speaker 13: Twenty seven transfers went out, twenty people graduated, and so you were replacing with transfers and recruits.
Speaker 2: But is that the same?
Speaker 15: I don't know.
Speaker 4: We're looking better, We're looking.
Speaker 3: Good, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, you whatever, doo care, Thank you, Thanks for the colle Richards calls in to talk about Oklahoma. That was yeah, well he already calls in, but he texts me a lot. Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're now like in the Big Boy Conference too, in the SEC, so things are a little bit right, but different than they were before, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: No question. We'll see what happens to the Oklahoma football, Texas football, you know SEC football.
Speaker 3: He's it's hard to hard to remember that they're in that league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know they want to be elite, so let's go.
Speaker 3: That was fun talking a rich You know, his dad was really one of my all time favorites too. I was here his entire his entire run. Great memories of some of the wins and losses, and just the way he it's perfect. The job Rich has two where he's he's working with the young players and young kids. Because Dick was was that way. He was a coach's coach, and you hear so many great stories about him from a players always like, oh man, you know the things I learned from coach? Tell me you go back almost anybody who came to the program and all and his years here stories were great.
Speaker 2: And that's what the coaches are supposed to be, right, you know, the growers of young men into men and have these stories about you know, fortitude and you know I always didn't have much, but then I came here and became a man. Yeah. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: They named the practice fields that are, you know, next to the football facility there, you know, right right by McHale for coach, and there must have been a kid. There must have been three hundred players out there. Like when they did like the dedication ceremonies, it was really nice, right, I mean, guys just really liked him.
Speaker 2: I don't remember, I don't know if you knew this. But so my starting music at the other place was this is it from kay Logains blah blah blah, and I've had it on forever until we moved here where we could use music, although we might bring it back and Rich and some of the guys is, why do you run that music? It's one of my favorite all time songs. Back in seventy nine, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird and all. It was used to be this that used to be the shining moment song back of the day when I was younger, So I used it. I always loved that song, and he says, well, that was my dad's favorite song. I said, really, it's no coincidence. I didn't you know. I didn't do that because of that, But he said, because there was so lyrics in the in the song that you know that kind of stood out to him. You know, this is your moment, baby, grab it.
Speaker 3: We did a thing on TV GOT a long time ago. It's called let me think of the name of it, where he had to be I did a golf shot really close. It wasn't the closest to the pin or something close to the whole something like that. As a contest was it beat beat the pro, beat the pro. So Dick would come out. Dick was one of the guys. He was good. I mean, you know, I don't even know if the coaches nowadays would do this, but we convinced him to come out, and he basically had to take a shot at a par three and get it close. We would measure that and we'd say, okay, Dick Tomy got it within six feet eight inches. We put that up and then everybody who played that hole on the next Saturday, anybody who came and played that hole could try to beat him, and if they did, they would win a prize. And so he was one of our, you know, fifteen people around town who did it. He was such a good sport about it. Of course, he probably took like twenty shots and we got one close. I think we were at Star Pass if I remember. Yeah, I remember that. It was pretty good. It was fun and we got some pretty good people to take part. Kenny Lofton did it, yeah, but yeah, it was great. He was He was a good sport.
Speaker 2: He was my When I first got here in eighty seven, I didn't cover the first year, but I covered three years after the fact, and it was very nice to cover him. And he got on me a couple of times. He was with a couple of things that I wrote that he didn't like. But he was fair and he was good. And then you cover him, right for three four years? I did for three and they said you're going to cover Loot. Now, I don't know. I don't want to go. I don't want to do that because you knew how good you had it, right, Yeah, because he was that good. You know, he would get on you and you used to do with me. It got on me a few times, but I said, no, I don't want to go with a guy who has a reputation.
Speaker 3: They're not liking the media, right, I mean, I think, did you go to camp coachies?
Speaker 2: Yes, the flies? How did you forgetting the flies were.
Speaker 3: Bad and all that stuff and the humidity. But he would he would hold court in the which I don't know if any coaches do that nowadays, but I mean he would just like, you know, we'd all be sitting around the media guys, you know, doing our whatever, snickering and looking at the players, and he just come over and sit down with us, and he would just kind of go off right and talk.
Speaker 2: It was funny I did that, I think in eighty I did that for three years, but in eighty eight. I remember this very well. Probably my first year there, and you know, we had the little trays at cafeteria trees, right, we sat down blah blah blah, and he'd bring his wisdom and we sit down and talk. And then it was probably my first day there. I got up and was going back to the place where we're staying, like the motel stakes of your brother. Yes, and he said, Steve, is your mom here? And I said, no, coach, what's up? You put your tray away. She ain't doing this for you as an Oak sorry, coach. Yeah, that's the way he was.
Speaker 3: He It was great because even if you watch video nowadays of a football practic, you don't get to see much. They show us stretching maybe and maybe a couple we sho.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He used to let us shoot everything. He would come over to us when they were going to start doing something kind of tricky. He'd say, listen, guys, you know I really appreciate it if you just turn your cameras off now for five minutes and I'll come back and tell you when you can turn him back on, which nowadays.
Speaker 2: Well, and there were times when we'd go, right, we'd all go. Jay was covering and I always used to compete against Jay back in the late eighties, and there were times we just went because we wanted to see if anybody got hurt. And you know, kind of like the day to day stuff. They could be doing trick plays. What the hell would we know?
Speaker 3: Right exactly?
Speaker 2: Well, you remember the David Eldridge situation rights the UCLA. They were doing the eyebone, blah blah blah. We might as well not know what the hell was going on. And then Saturday they ran over the hell over the Bruins and he says, how did that happen?
Speaker 3: Well, they were just practice, you know. Yeah, we didn't know. We didn't know what we were shooting. We were out there with the cameras and I'd say, hey, we want to do a story on you know, Ortiz Jenkins, and we would just be shooting him by himself. And I could have run five trick plays and we wouldn't either known it. And he was he was. I mean, all the coaches are paranoid about who's you see there?
Speaker 2: Well, if you remember after him Stoops came in or not, you know, not if it came in, but Stoops came in, and you were you around for student. So so we the practice field right there in the corner and right corner of sixth and Campbell. I remember Stoops making sure that across the way where Chubbah or Chuba whatever that damn restaurant was. It says, make sure there's nobody there filming us, because they could be, you know, taking shots of us. Don't think I even went to a press conference, even though I didn't cover the team that I was doing basketball. I said, you guys are really concerned. Says yeah, because they could be filming in some spy And I'm thinking, well, what happened to the times when Dave, if you brought your team to me or I brought your team to you, it was the better, better team wins. I don't care if I knew what you were running right. Those days were long gone, long time.
Speaker 3: Apparently there's some story I might have been a Dick Tony story where somebody was seen, you know, before the Rose or something, you know, in the stadium, you know, taking pictures. And since then, you know, we don't want anybody you know, in our practices. So there was there was always something. It was weird, weird paranoia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it exists. Now we'll look at the Patriots whatever, not the flaategate, but it was the the yeah, with the filming of practices somewhere else, you know, and then the pre scouting whatever. It was the Michigan Yeah, they bring yourself against me. Let's see what you got, baby. I don't care how good you think you are. It's like with basketball too.
Speaker 3: I mean, they play each other so many times, they know, they know every play. It's not like some surprise is gonna shure. The only thing that would that Coach Olson was talking about it is if somebody got injured and if that news got out, how that could affect the spread and things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another excuse. We gotta go already. Talk to you guys on the other side.