Speaker 1: I'm Ali. I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 2: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 1: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that come with it when coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning. This is the Lesbian Chronicles. Welcome to the Lesbian Chronicles.
Speaker 3: That's saloon.
Speaker 1: Did you like it? How I did it? More editorial?
Speaker 3: He did? Yeah. I mean, I'm we're in a professional role today. I say.
Speaker 1: I have to say though that the studio we've had to move places three times.
Speaker 3: Yes, And by studio, I me in my living room. I know.
Speaker 2: We've rearranged furniture today. We've changed locations for this just three times alone for this little setup.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we've been doing a lot of work today.
Speaker 1: We clearly care deep We do tell them what we were working on today because I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: So we started a podcast a couple months ago called Bigay Solve Crime, and our main goal with starting that out was to talk about the murder of Katie Janis that happened here in Atlanta. In July twenty twenty one, Katie and her dog Ooh, We were both murdered in Piedmont Park in Atlanta, which is the equivalent of like Central Park in New York City for Atlanta, very busy park. And Katie is a member of the LGBTQ community, So we felt really drawn to that crime and the fact that it's unsolved and seemingly kind of pushed to the side. And in the process of doing that podcast, we started talking to more people in the community about it. We met a film producer here in Atlanta, Sam Jones, with three Pop Productions, and she's joined our little team and we're working on an actual like film documentary about the case. And today was our first interview that we've we've done for it. We sat down with a former.
Speaker 1: She's actually still works for the police department. Yeah, but she heads up a cold case basically like a nonprofit for cold cases where you can call her team in to solve cases that haven't been able to be solved. She was saying that they get pulled in, the family can call on them, small police departments that don't have the man power can do it, or sometimes she just calls them and says I think I know how to solve this case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's just step one of the project that we're working on. We're just trying to bring more attention to this case. If anyone listening is like, oh, man, like I relate to or I knew Katie or anything like that, or have some expert insight, please reach out to us. Yes, our ultimate goal here is to get more eyes on the case and really get it solved, So that would be amazing.
Speaker 1: But also you do hear about these cases where once they start to like put a little bit of pressure on the police department to kind of revisit it ask more questions. Sometimes it just takes one person thinking.
Speaker 2: Back on something right they saw exactly. And we also want people to know more about Katie. You know, we're talking to some of her friends and kind of exploring her life and who she was is a person, because you know, I hate that when something really god awful happens to you in the way that you die, that becomes your story and it's like there's a life that was.
Speaker 3: Lived behind that person.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I am We've already been learning a lot about and I want to learn more so and for other people to know.
Speaker 1: And it deserves justice. Melissa and I talk about sometimes like these other cases, for instance, like Lacy Peterson or Natalie Holloway, these cases get so much attention and there's so much pressure. The whole country is like, you know, looking and curious and trying to help, and this one just sort of feels like it came and went and we are part of this gay community and so to us really important. Yeah, and this person is walking around kind of like the cold case Lady Cheryl McCollum said today, they're probably out there pumping your gas or sitting next to you at a restaurant. This person is still walking around.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, and and we don't want to wait until it happens again, right, And that's unfortunately a very possible scenario. So yeah, Well, we'll be giving you guys more details on it as it comes along and gets put together. But we are very much like dedicated to doing this and excited about it very Yeah. Yep.
Speaker 1: And if you follow us on Instagram, you can see some of the very early footage of just while we were filming. But I think we're going to release soon a little bit more and you'll get to see the scope of where in the park and just even from like that that drone vantage point, it's so you get to see how big the park really is and how dark and how many trees. It just kind of brought it to life for me. Yeah, I was working about it from that perspective because I'm used to Piedmont Park in the daylight on the trail, like, it doesn't feel like this ominous place, right exactly, until you see it from that perspective, and then you're like, oh god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it happened in the middle of the night in the darkness of the park, so it's it's definitely scary, and I don't know, there's just so many, so many interesting.
Speaker 3: Layers to the whole thing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we're excited about it, and you can follow on Instagram Katie Janis doc check us out and we do. Yeah, we'll be posting more little peaks behind the scenes and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: So right, let's get to our gay our other gay topic.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's get gay.
Speaker 1: Let's get gay. Let's just get you know, we looked so gay today. I said that. We took a picture earlier and I said, I look like a.
Speaker 3: Man, a man at all.
Speaker 1: I think I was trying to look a little dressy for the interview.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Same.
Speaker 2: I was like, I can't roll in here in my normal like close, I gotta get dressed. I know we look like a call like a basketball game right now that I know nothing about basketball, I can't even like really.
Speaker 1: Right now, we really do. Actually, it would be funny to do the pod next time. Really, fam Yeah, I actually am FEM sometimes that's what's really like shocking. I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I showed the girls the other day in the park, my me and my dress at them.
Speaker 3: I haven't even seen that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. They were like, what you need to do this way more often? Really, I'm going to show it to you after this.
Speaker 3: Can we post it?
Speaker 1: Can totally. I can't pull it up right now, but I can. I'll post it, okay anyway, all right, So today we're talking about a topic about capacity and like people have different levels of capacity for different things at different stages of their life. I'm gonna use me as the example because I'm going through a low capacity right now period in my life. It's very stressful right now. My business has suffered with the housing market. Also, my ex husband and I's relationship has really shifted. He got married for those of you who don't know, in the last month, and that was pretty like jarring for me, Like I think we just he ended up like eloping basically, But I think I just wasn't prepared. I had dreaded that day for so long, so when it finally came, it just felt jarring. Layered on top of just other stressors in my life right now, I feel a sense of like there's no room really right now for me to maintain what it would take to really be in present in a relationship, developing something I just don't have the capacity to every day be feeding a text string or a phone call. And what got me thinking about it is another friend of ours. I was expressing this to her and she was saying that someone she was dating. She's like, it's same thing, Like when you're just going through a divorce, you're figuring out custody, you're getting a new house, there's no real capacity to build something real. Yeah, And so it kind of gives you. You're able to give people grace when they don't have the capacity in their life and it doesn't make them bad or good, it just makes them full.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But I mean, and I think sometimes it can be difficult to give grace or realize what someone else is going to that in that situation. It's like if you were trying to date someone and let's say that that person is going through a lot of difficult things and you feel like you're not hearing from them as much. It's like it immediately becomes personal, you know, where it's not personal, it's just capacity.
Speaker 1: And it's like when you ask them about it, it's almost like you get I don't get defensive, but it's more like I feel bad, like I you know, I want to make excuses. So finally, in my situation, I just got in front of it and was like, look, I don't have any capacity at all. Like I have a capacity for friendship. I have a capacity for kindness, but like I'm not in a situation that I have like full rain right now, but I expect I will. I just don't today. And it gives me a different perspective when other people maybe have felt that way with me.
Speaker 2: But I mean, it's also like the capacity thing, it puts a spotlight on you, you know, because it is kind of like, well, why don't you like, shouldn't I be prioritized.
Speaker 1: You're excited about me.
Speaker 3: If you're excited about me, you would be like able to show up in every second of the day. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's like there's there's some like jobs like Okay, for instance, last night, I was working and I was salammed great example and like just completely to the point where I like wasn't even picking up my phone, like barely looking at anything. And then I get a tech I saw a text from Ali. I haven't been on social media, I haven't been checking my messages, and she's asking me about what my dinner plans are and like kind of confuse some cross wires there.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I don't.
Speaker 2: I have not had time to look at any of this, Like literally have not had time. And it wasn't any like avoidance or anything like that. It was the capacity that I had, like.
Speaker 1: I was able to help you in that moment, right exactly. She's like, got, well, the perfect the thing is there was a third party involved in the dinner and I'm like, you know, the third party has no idea to have my dinner with you, right, And so she was like I know I don't have it. I'm like literally slammed.
Speaker 2: It was like on my list of things to do before I even logged on to work.
Speaker 3: And then I just didn't have time.
Speaker 2: I didn't know how busy it was going to be, like working, because it's one of those things that changes day to day, and I had no idea it was going to be that busy. So it wasn't like I didn't want to go to dinner or I didn't want to extend the invite. It was I didn't have time to send the text. No. But I know that, like not in this instance, but in a relationship kind of situation where you're on the other side maybe waiting to be to hear from your person and you're like, damn, it's been like four hours, Like what, yeah, fuck could they possibly be doing? And it's like they're not doing anything outside of like trying to stay afloat in their own day to day.
Speaker 1: Life, right, And then you layer into all those things like let's say the documentary, the podcast raising a child here, working full time for a business that I have to work twice as hard. Now, you take all those things and then you layer in other anxieties and you know, maybe relationships you have with people, and then it just becomes like, dude, I'm like, I'm holding on by a thread right now. Yeah, so anyway I think it does. It's not even avoidance at that point, it's I literally don't have the extra minute. And I know you've been there, yeah, where it's just like I don't I really only have time for my solid crew.
Speaker 2: Right And it's like I've been on both sides. I've been in the I've been the person that it's not able to text. I've been the person waiting for the text. And it's like, when you're in the position of waiting for the text, You've got a zillion things running in your brain, stories of like what could be happening? Why are they not responding to me?
Speaker 3: I sent them a.
Speaker 2: Really cute picture, you know what, like, and you did even heard it. You don't have time to heart a message. And it's like the reality is maybe they opened it, saw it and like had to get back to whatever, didn't have time to or they thought they did. That's another thing that happens a lot too, Like I'll think that I responded to me too, and then I'll be like, why haven't they said anything back? And I go look at it and it's like I never even sent the message. I wrote it and I didn't send it. Like so, I think it's a matter of like when you are on either side of that of kind of trying to understand the other person's experience and also like on the anxious side not letting that other person's capacity issue ruin your day to day.
Speaker 1: Life, especially if they've told you, because it's like it's one thing also like.
Speaker 3: You know when someone's being avoidant, yeah.
Speaker 1: Versus like it's a capacity problem.
Speaker 2: Right, And it could be that they're being avoidant and they're using the capacity problem as an excuse.
Speaker 1: It's very tricky out there.
Speaker 2: But it's also like I as an avoidant someone with avoidant tendencies. I know now that if someone says that to me, like are you feeling avoidant?
Speaker 3: Is everything okay? It's like taking like.
Speaker 2: The the what is it the detective interview spotlight and putting it on you and being like, so, what wrong?
Speaker 3: What are your feelings right now in this moment? And I'll be like panicked.
Speaker 2: I feel like I have to answer. I feel like I have to come up with something that makes sense where it's energy whereas it's like no, there's really nothing going on internally.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to be avoidant.
Speaker 2: I'm just thinking about other things that I still I can't even explain to you right now, I can't explain it to myself.
Speaker 3: And on top of that, it's like when I do start.
Speaker 2: To explain it, it's like, oh, like this isn't what I mean right Like, this isn't necessary.
Speaker 1: I'm processing totally.
Speaker 2: And it's like sitting there digging a fucking hole that you're standing in and just being like, great, it's getting deeper.
Speaker 3: I don't need it doesn't need to get deeper right now.
Speaker 1: And I think nobody wants to feel like the person who's got this block of like avoidance or it's such a buzzword to be avoidant or to be like mentally like if you're emotionally down or stress, yeah, like it's sort of for me at least, it feels shameful. So it's also like if you feel like you're in the spotlight, you're also like, dude, I feel bad enough right now, Please don't now make me feel like I'm depressed failing. Yeah, I don't have that situation. No one's pressuring me, but I put my own pressure on to create capacity that's just not there.
Speaker 2: But I think it's also interesting, like as far as like the attachment style situation.
Speaker 3: You know, we all like the buzzwords, we all want to name it.
Speaker 2: We all want to say, well, this person's avoidant and that's why they act this way. And it's like, okay, but are they avoidant or they just don't have the capacity right now?
Speaker 1: How do you know?
Speaker 3: How do you know?
Speaker 2: But it's also when you delve into the like the other paths of avoidance. There's fearful avoidant and then there's the dismissive avoidance. Like those are two they're so far apart on the spectrum to me, Like it's one of those things. I'm like, they shouldn't even have the same fucking name, you know. Like the fearful avoidant is they want to be in the relationship, you know, but they are almost kind of like constantly like almost talking themselves out of certain things or like getting too scared, being like this is too serious, like it's too heavy, it's too much, and then I've got all these other things going on in my life, you know, and it's it's kind of like stacking on top of each other and you want to be there totally, you want to be in the relationship, whereas the dismissive avoidant, it's one of those things where it's like, Okay, I don't have the capacity issue and I need to leave, and I'm not even going to address your feelings in the meantime, I'm ghosting you. Yeah, like there is no explanation. I feel like a fearful avoidant. They do want to explain. Sometimes they can't verbalize even. I mean, for me, sometimes it takes me weeks to kind of digest my feelings and understand how I felt in a certain moment totally.
Speaker 1: And don't you also feel like sometimes it's fucking hormonal. Yes, it's like I might just be in a way that I don't want to smile today. Yeah, mostly I don't want to smile guys, to be honest, seriously, we just agree we're not going to right.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry that my face looks vastly different when I'm not smiling exactly.
Speaker 1: But it's like I don't Sometimes for me even it's like I know, these certain days I'm just not going to be my best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and honestly too, for me, it's like it's a little triggering when someone asks me like what, Like when they either just hear me say like one or two words and they're like, what's wrong?
Speaker 3: I know? Or they see my face what's wrong?
Speaker 2: It's like it now fucking nothing, yeah, like literally nothing, And it's it's a childhood thing for me. It's something my mom still does to this day that I have to tell her, like you cannot judge how I'm feeling off of how I answered the phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, true, it's not fair, is it?
Speaker 1: Like somebody like me who grew up with alcoholic I am extremely hyper vigilant on other people's mood. Like if somebody shows up in the room that's like slightly off, I immediately I'm vigilant on it, and then I attribute it to myself, which is definitely something I'm learning in therapy, Like I cannot. I have to stop doing.
Speaker 3: You can't take everything personally, No, I do? We all do? We all do.
Speaker 1: It's like it's clearly they're mad at me.
Speaker 2: It's one of the most self centered things when you really think about it, though, because it's like you immediately like I'm the me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, clearly, clearly effect they lay awake at.
Speaker 2: Night thinking about me even though we're just friends, you see each other every three weeks exactly.
Speaker 1: I know it's ridiculous, but we're I don't know this.
Speaker 2: This kind of like leads into what we're The other thing we're going to talk about is like kind of the ups and downs of like feeling hopeful, especially if you are like in and out of relationship or single completely and like I don't know, not finding anyone that seems like you're interested in it is like your brain goes to the negative, like it's so easy to be like it's my fault that this person is upset right now, Like that makes sense to me, right, and it makes sense that because I'm alone right now, that is forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true, And it's like your brain to your point. I remember one time you were going through something and I remember saying to you, like, you know, yeah, it's okay to feel all these feelings, but start to get excited about what's around the corner. And you weren't right in that moment, but like I remember, you're like.
Speaker 3: Stop telling me things are going to happen, because they're not happening.
Speaker 1: And then it did within like weeks. I remember being like, dude, you didn't even have to wait a month. Yeah, so it is like I do believe that. It's like there are moments when I feel like, oh my god, the sky is falling, and then something will wash over me where I'm like, I actually feel really hopeful about what's coming, and it's just like it can be in the same day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think you have to like, don't make that the entire story. Kind of like when our friend was talking about the mushroom trip and she was like, it's you go down that hill and you work grooves into the mountain until every time something happens, you're in the groove. You have to get out of that and start thinking of actually the data. I mean, my therapist says this all the time. She's like, the evidence shows the exact opposite of everything you're saying. Yeah, if you look at the evidence, how often is it worst case scenario? Almost never?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, almost exactly almost never.
Speaker 1: So and that's true. It's like she always says to me, tell me, what's the best case scenario, what's the worst case? What's the likely Yeah, and it's usually best case or likely, especially if you get my mom praying about it, which she does.
Speaker 3: That positive, Like.
Speaker 1: I start thinking like and then it happens, and then ever it's like, see my prayer works.
Speaker 3: You know, can we start a prayer chain with your mom?
Speaker 1: My mom always she always prayer chains, and now even the kids are like, have grandma pray because it does work. I'm she's doing one right now for me that literally it hasn't worked yet, but she's gonna.
Speaker 3: Start having sixteen hour days soon.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: She'll even pull people in that you're not. You're like, who else is on this prayer chain?
Speaker 2: Now? What happens when she's like yeah, yeah, yeah, now pray for my daughter, and then they like find more out about you and they're like when she's gay, it's like going to take like one hundred thousand hail Marys to like.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: There is something about it. Though, my son, who's like such a science nerd and kind of like, Mom, I don't even want to tell you what my beliefs are because you're going to be so rattled, and he though, even is like can you get Grandma on it? It's like there's it's just manifesting. But she is like powerful in this.
Speaker 2: I hear a lot of people talk like this and I've tried to do it.
Speaker 3: I really have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you have to believe my mom.
Speaker 3: It don't really I.
Speaker 2: Know, but I think that's just it, like we're talking about, my brain is so conditioned to be like it's like everything sucks, you know, nothing works out exactly. You always get this close and then it doesn't turn out, you know. But I'm like, it's it's it is a thing like that people have. I've heard them talk about like writing down exactly what you want and like actually writing it on a piece of paper, saying this is going to happen. I am going to have this, I'm going to have a Porsche whatever, and then I know I'm going for shallow and then like that it does happen because you wrote it down and you had full faith in it when you wrote it down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what she would say. My mom will literally do the prayer change. She'll pull everyone in and then she will say let it go, like it's done, You've got it, it's over, and.
Speaker 3: Then like most of the time it is, yeah, And.
Speaker 1: So then I have to be like, yeah, it works, can you work on the next thing? I got the one thing I want to say about you, like you're saying you get this close. One thing I will say about you, my friend, is that you're going for things most people live their life kind of like it's pretty average, like you might try to run a five k or like do you go for like the moon? So it's not like to me, it's like, yeah, you're getting close. That's fucking more accomplished than That's true most people. Like the stuff you go for is like big stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: And I think also it's like if you really sit back and reflect, And this is something that I've brought up recently on the podcast as far as like journaling and going back and looking a year ago where I was and just being like, Okay, I know I'm a different person now, but there was aspects of like reading that journal from a year ago where I was like, I'm in the same spot.
Speaker 1: I know I feel that way way that bothers me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what now, stop it?
Speaker 1: I know I am today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my mom, get your mom write it on a piece of.
Speaker 1: Paper like I want. I said that to my sister. I said I'm tired of me. I literally said this. I said, I'm so sick of it. And she was like, dude, then stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I think I need to have like six month check ins on my journal, not wait a year doing the same thing.
Speaker 3: You fucking idiot. Do you listen to no?
Speaker 1: Okay, I know you wouldn't. Isn't he He might not be if he's not good to know. He's the one.
Speaker 3: That threw a chair off the roof in Nashville.
Speaker 1: All right, shit, okay, well we have moments, Okay, so listen, never throw a cht this song. He's got this song that I listened to the lyrics to the other day, and it's called I think it's called school, Chevy and Browning. Okay, if anyone listening has heard this song, to me, it is like, I don't know why school brand, Chevy and Browning. It's nothing about those things. But if you listen to it, I'm like, that is such a recipe for how to live your life, Like the song really is. And I thought I called my brother in law immediately because he is that Like he is the most solid human being. He loves my sister so hard, he helps my parents all the time. He's the most honest, good human Like when I see him, I'm like, oh good, Like he's here, He's got me. And but anyway, that song, I thought it hit me too that I'm like, that needs to be my life recipe for just how to live your life. Trust me, No, it's not that about that. I got people watching have heard it and they know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Okay, and you're gonna I'm not a country music fan.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately I am two.
Speaker 2: I'm not a fan of people who throw chairs off of roofs in very busy cities.
Speaker 1: So I'm not a fan of throwing chairs off of roofs. But he might have had his heart broken. I've seen you pretty fucking mad.
Speaker 3: I'd never thrown a chair, No, but you threw something.
Speaker 1: You threw some punches.
Speaker 2: I like, wait what I even just sat here and said I couldn't take a punch. And that's why I don't want to try boxing. I know, right, No, I think, like, but yeah, I'm tired of myself in that way. Yeah, Like I think when I look back, there are things that I'm like, I'm still doing the same. There's a Matthew Sweet song called Sick of Myself from the nineties.
Speaker 3: Woll okay, it's more relatable for me.
Speaker 1: But even saying all that, I'm also have had a lot of growth in other areas, right, So it is like, yes, there might be patterns that I've repeated, but I see them now and I'm working on them so hard.
Speaker 2: Right, And I think that there's so many things that are kind of happening to us along the way where it's like it becomes very clear, like it's a lesson that you now need in this situation. Yeah, Like if I didn't have this happened, then I wouldn't know how to interact and process this current thing.
Speaker 3: It's so true, like true, it happens all the time.
Speaker 1: It also gives you grace for people like I. I have someone from really close to a long time ago. She got divorced. She had had an affair and ends up getting divorced. And I remember during that time when she was having the affair, like I hate the friend I was. I was not kind, I was judgy. I was just like everything that you do that creates somebody to totally shut down with you. And then when I got divorced, and it wasn't about the divorce, it was about like she was blowing up. I felt like all these things, but I had none of the story. I didn't realize what she had been going through. I had no idea, and really that's not even my job. My job is just to hear her, that's it. So she in that time, this is years ago, I was probably in my early thirties, but then I had my divorce and she was so filled with grace and like love and support. And I said later, I'm such a jerk, like how are you this nice to me? And she's like why, Like, of course I am. And I thought I wasn't that for you at all, And she was like, bygones, you know, life goes on. We're here now. But she had so much grace for me because she had been through something terrible. Yeah, And so I thought, I I do have a grace for people.
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that's huge, Yeah, like because I I think that is a big thing that we learn along the way in life of like, you know, no one's perfect. People are making mistakes all over the place real time, and yeah, without ever intending to. We make mistakes without intending to. Sometimes we mean to make the mistake. I don't know, just poor judgment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you've told me before I'm about to fucking touch the oven again. Yeah, I'm about to do it, but somebody stopping me.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm gonna go plan traffic. Let's fuck around and find out.
Speaker 2: And but it's like I know, though, that you and my friend are still going to be there for me, you know, and like there's you're you're gonna watch me do it, You're gonna let me touch the stove, but you're also gonna be there to like bandage my hand again, you know.
Speaker 3: And I'm learning from it and growing from it.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be a person who sits in my fucking house every day and watches Netflix and doesn't do anything, or.
Speaker 1: Sits in my fucking house telling everybody else what they're doing wrong.
Speaker 2: Right, kind of like if we had a podcast where we told people, yeah, exactly like that, like that.
Speaker 1: But the thing about this podcast is we're constantly saying what we're doing. We're constantly telling on ourselves.
Speaker 3: I am not a perfect human.
Speaker 1: I know that I'm not, but I am an imperfect human working towards something brilliant.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just haven't gotten I mean there yet.
Speaker 2: I just said this a couple of weeks ago on the podcast of like I don't want to be perfect. I will never I will never know everything, No, and I'm not going to sit here and act like I do know everything. I've made a lot of mistakes, but I've also grown from those mistakes, and I try to share those mistakes with our listeners and with friends and to own them and to help other people. Maybe you know, not make as big of a mistake, yeah, or just have it.
Speaker 1: In your mind, like I think when we were coming out in our day, back in our days, no roadmap at all. So it's like when you're with a catalyst or you're doing anything, it was just all for the first time versus like at least hopefully some people now have heard a few things that they're like, oh, that's interesting, that sounds like what they did, yeah, or.
Speaker 2: What they're experiencing currently in their relationship as far as like the avoidance thing. Maybe they are getting anxious because their person isn't super responsive to them and they're taking it personally where it's not personal, it's just a life that's being lived. And or just like dating in general, as far as like testing the waters with certain people. One thing that I've really learned is how long I stay in relationships where I need to go. But I'm afraid to let go of that person and understanding the hurt that comes along with staying in something for too long. It's hurting both of us from and it's preventing you from like finding the right thing, you know.
Speaker 3: So, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's it's interesting too, like what you're saying as far as like how different things were even you know, eight years ago when we were coming out, I never once had I heard the phrase red flag.
Speaker 1: Red flag.
Speaker 2: No, we were married to boy scout, I had never thought about anything like when we were dating and meeting our husbands.
Speaker 3: There was no like form of self help, online community whatever talking about dating.
Speaker 2: It was like if a guy actually called you and asked you on a date, then great, solid, let's go.
Speaker 3: There was no like dissecting his every move, his childhood trauma. Yeah, yeah, none of that.
Speaker 1: No, it's true. And it's like now it's like I sit with someone and I'm already in my mind thinking of all the therapy speak that I've heard. Yeah, and it's like that there's something kind of sad about that too, right.
Speaker 2: Because I'm like I'm thinking about when I met my ex husband. We met at a bar. Okay, that's people would say that's a red flag.
Speaker 3: You know, we met at a bar. He was pretty drunk. We had a terrible first kiss. That was because he was drunk. I wrote my number down. He said that the next day he could barely read my handwriting.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, but he called me and he the very next day he called me and left me a voicemail saying, hey, I want to hang out later today. And it wasn't him like having any there was no game whatsoever to be had that there's no three day rule, like none of that. And I'm sure today if I went and I had that same scenario play out where oh I met someone but she was really drunk and then she like kissed me and it was really sloppy and awful and then called me the very next day, Like how desperate is that?
Speaker 3: Like you could find so.
Speaker 2: Many things wrong with it, totally, Like, but it's because now we're so like we've got to read into every fucking move that these people make.
Speaker 1: Oh it's exhausting. Yeah, just like let it let it just yeah, let it just organically roll out.
Speaker 2: Stop researching on GBT, Like what does it mean when someone responds too quickly talk about that thing?
Speaker 1: That you said about when you google things cognitive cognitive bias.
Speaker 2: Cognitive bias, it's called So I hope I get this right because I'm really speaking from something I barely know anything about. But basically, like there's a mindset that people have as far as like certain things where they're like, I know I'm right about this topic. I'm going to use this loosely in political differences where someone is like, well, I know that the president said this, and this other person is like, well, what's actually happening is that the president's trying to do this, and the way that people google things is completely different. You know, someone could be like, what did the president say on Wednesday? And then the other person would say, like, you know, find me articles on this specific thing that the president said, and it's going to that result is feeding you what you want to hear, or.
Speaker 1: Even like when people search things. My sister and I were dying laughing because we have the opposite opinion about a business thing. Yeah, and I'm like, I'm gonna google it and I and she's like, what did you type in there? I was actually chatting it and I was like, tell me why this is true?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, and that's just it.
Speaker 2: You can google two plus two whissels five and you will get results of why it's correct. Right. So it's it's the way that we are approaching things. It's kind of like when you go and tell a story to your friend about this relationship thing that happened, your friend has that cognitive bias where they want you to be the good guy in that situation, you know, And so like I'm telling Ali a story about like can you believe this? This person like thinks that I'm a terrible human because of this, and she'll be like, oh my god, yeah, You're not terrible at all. Meanwhile, the other person's telling that sort of their friend and their friends like damn, Melissa needs to.
Speaker 3: Be you know, speak to her. Yeah, I never talked to her again. And and there's there's a story in the middle, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe both can be true.
Speaker 3: Both can be true. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think that's the other thing is it's like I don't know why it's such a polarized you have to be wrong for me to be right, yeah, And it's like so often it's just like there's so much nuance behind why something happens that it's not always that. It's never honestly, I can say it's never that black and white. Yeah, you know. Yeah, So I think everybody needs to kind of take a step back and realize that.
Speaker 2: And everyone's coming into it with a different set of circumstances, Like you know, you and I are coming into the situation with completely different childhood wounds. You know, like something that I might feel is a trigger event, you might not even notice that happened in the same room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 2: So it's And I think the other thing too, is understanding. Like we've talked about this, like do your wounds match my wounds? You know, like a are we triggering each other? Yeah? Are we bringing out these sides of it in each other that you know, make us feel like little kids again?
Speaker 3: Right, Like yeah, and kind of understanding of that.
Speaker 1: But sometimes you do pick people to kind of relive wound because you want to heal from it. And so then you have and I actually talk to somebody the other day, and you and I have talked about this. The woman that got divorced seven or eight years ago. Me, I am so different Now. I'm not talking about the way I look. I'm talking about my ability to do things now. Is I am a completely different human being The little girl back then needed the partner I had back then. Yeah, And so I think you evolve and you grow, and that person isn't there anymore. It's not to say that I couldn't have made it twenty years, forty years with the same person. It's just to say that if they met me now, they may not appreciate the new me. I'm not. I'm different. I'm completely different. So a lot of times people do get married quickly after they come out, and then it's like, oh my god, I've grown leaps and bounds because it's essentially a new adolescence. Yeah, and then you wake up a different woman three years later. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But and the other part of that, though, is too we are very different than how we were a few years ago. But it's also like an evolution that's taken a lot of work and a lot of like reflection, you know, Like if I sat there and was like, damn, I can't hang a fucking picture on the wall. Guess I'll never hang a picture again, like and just sat there and feeling sorry for myself that I didn't.
Speaker 3: Have a partner for eight years, you know, and like I don't like, where would I be?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, And it's like it's kind of all these situations have forced us to figure it out and learn it, learn how to do it on our own right and not feel reliant on finding another person.
Speaker 1: And then gaining that self respect and that autonomy of the safety in you. Yeah, you know, I'm not there yet, but I am getting there. Yeah, I'd say last night I felt a little lonely. Interesting. I never normally do, but i've Last night, I was working and I was zooming with my sister some of the night because we were working together on something. And then when we hung up, I heard her saying to her husband, my brother in law, who I adore, that like, wait for me to eat, And it was like really late, And I thought, that is triggering a little bit, not triggering. I'm so I love that, but I want that. Yeah, Like I thought, I would love to be getting off the zoom and have someone waiting for me to eat. Yeah, instead, I ate by myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, And I think that's like it's perfectly normal to feel that way.
Speaker 3: Like I feel that a lot, you know, But is that.
Speaker 1: A sadness that doesn't go away? If you end up single.
Speaker 3: Forever, but you won't be single forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't know. We don't know. I mean I do have my mom on it.
Speaker 2: I do have mom on it, right, But it's also where your brain goes to like the most negative outcome possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that's what makes your brain. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Why is that?
Speaker 2: Like it feels like thinking that negatively. It's almost like you feel like by thinking the negative.
Speaker 3: Thought, then its protect yourself.
Speaker 2: You're protecting yourself. But it's also like testing the universe. Yeah, like, hey, I'm gonna be alone forever right right right now?
Speaker 3: Show me otherwise? Yeah, exactly proved me wrong.
Speaker 2: Like isn't that in a movie right where it's like something like God strike me down and I don't know something like that.
Speaker 1: But it's kind of like when we my my sister and I are business partners, and during when COVID first hit, I went straight to we are so fucked, like I can't believe what are we gonna do? I'm scared? Like I went right to call our parents, like what.
Speaker 3: Are we doing? Call mom and dad?
Speaker 1: Like how are we getting bailed out? And my sister knowing nothing about anything with COVID. We were at the very beginning. My sister's like, it's gonna be great. You watch, It's gonna be so great. And I was like, it's you're illusional. She didn't that's her mindset. How so I literally was like, you are delusional. And so we ended up calling my parents and my dad of course, was like, yeah, Cass, like this is bad. Like this, I don't know. You girls better have like a backup plan. What's the plan? And my sister's like, there is no plan B. This is working and it's gonna be great. Yeah, and then she was like fucking right, and it did, and it did. She's not saying that as much these days, and she is like my rock of hope and right now she's like, dude, it's not good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and wait is she older? She's older than that, Okay, yeah, But.
Speaker 1: I think it's just a personality too. I go, I'm a worrier, I'm an anxious person. Yeah, so like I go right to oh god, we're fight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how I would think too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's always like it's fine, but I and maybe that's just like different personality types. I know, Like I know some people have like the most positive, optimistic outlook on everything. And to me, I'm like, that feels like a brain exercise that I can I could not sustain. Yeah, you know, like I can do it a little bit. I can do the get excited, get hopeful. But then I'm like, but where's the data. I know.
Speaker 1: I just read something that Republicans as a whole are happier than Democrats.
Speaker 3: Like they are happier as their dumber.
Speaker 1: And I was thinking, like, what, like that sucks. It's like that comic said, they get boats and they get happy.
Speaker 3: They get and they get Yeah. Although, yeah, I'm never owning a boat.
Speaker 2: Because you're a Democrat, because I'm so because I'm smart, I'm financially responsible, and I know that everyone that I've ever known that owned a boat was actually really unhappy with the boat. Really, I was never unhappy with the boat because it's there's always something wrong with the boat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like it's never like, oh, yeah, the boat's gonna just be up and running today.
Speaker 2: It's always like, no, well we just had this fixed and it cost us about four grand but it's okay, that's just a semester at school for.
Speaker 3: Our child when they're in college. But yeah, I don't know. I'll never own a boat, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Well it's okay, you're a Democrat, think about it. It's like those comics.
Speaker 2: I'm independent, by the way, registered independent anyway.
Speaker 1: Republicans. I'm gonna look for the study. But supposedly they're a lot happier than us. So maybe it's better to be a little dumber, is it.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'd rather mean if you could be happier.
Speaker 2: God, Okay, I'm sure that the the Virginia like hill people that are inbred are very happy.
Speaker 3: That's true, and maybe that's all it takes.
Speaker 1: My parents are pretty smart and they're Republicans. Yeah, but my mom is blissfully happy. Like you've never met someone who nothing nothing's a problem, there's nothing that's a problem because.
Speaker 3: You just it's easy being Republican. What does that mean?
Speaker 1: She's praying, she's got the grosary going, she's got the beads, she's doing the whole thing, and it freaking is working for her. So no wonder why she's so happy, right, I mean, this is a woman who lost her house in the hurricane and literally was like it's fine, looks sad, but like this is We're great. Look, we dead and I we have each.
Speaker 3: Other, I mean sure, yeah, and insurance, which is also helpful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have each other in insurance. That's probably a good thing.
Speaker 2: And something tells me that FEMA is not skipping out on rebuilding the really nice community that was knocked down by the hurricane.
Speaker 1: They're fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so all right, we're going down a path.
Speaker 1: All right, it's a pleasure. Look, please follow our brand new account.
Speaker 3: Which is Katie Janis doc on Instagram.
Speaker 1: And Janis is j A N N E S s Katie Janice doc on Instagram. We're just getting it started and look for updates there. Awesome, Thanks guys.
Speaker 3: I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast. Rate us and write a review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We'd love listener feedback. If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com. That's Melissa M. E. L I S A and Ali A L. L I at gmail dot com. Or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles