Speaker 1: Hey Carl here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify or wherever you get security this week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this week dot com and sign up, and don't forget discord Discord dot security this week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast. Hey guys, what do you call a vegetarian with diarrhea? I don't know, a salad shooter? Oh my god. All right, Well, enough about that. Let's talk about the stories this week. I think we have seven. So let's start with RedHook. Android malware now uses wireless ADB for shell access.
Speaker 2: New and improved.
Speaker 3: I honestly love AB slices. It's a debugging bug, right, yeah, So ADB is Android debugging bridge. The debugging bridge is obviously if you're if you're writing code, you're writing an APK or whatever, some sort of program for an Android device. You generally don't put all your dev tools on there and you debugging tools and all that KOD stuff, right, because it's it's a phone, or it's a dishwasher, it's a refrigerator or whatever. Right, there's all sorts of things that run Android. So for you to connect into that device and see everything that's going on, deploy packages or what we call side loading package packages, that sort of stuff, you need this debugging bridge, which is typically turned off on most Android devices. However, we found several ways that you can turn them on remotely. We found several bugs and devices TVs namelessly where we can turn them on and connect in and do all sorts of nefarious things. So yeah, it's a It is a very very powerful access to the device to put you know, back doors and all sorts of stuff. Okay, so you may say, okay, who cares what happened? What happened here in this case? Although yes ADB is there and they say, oh my god, this is like an uh, you know, an autonomous wireless ADB abuse blah, they still have to trick the victim to do something. Right. This isn't like this one. I This one I'd call more hype than anything else. And I know we talked about having that concept on this show, like which ones of these are like, oh my god we should worry about and which ones we shouldn't. This one somebody's gonna call you up, or somebody's gonna get you to click on something and have you jump through a whole bunch of hoops, which people do to turn on developer options, which people do activate wireless debugging and then do all sorts of stuff that then huzza, they're in.
Speaker 2: So it's not just a stupid switch that someone left expos Yeah, no, exactly, Like more than twenty years ago we found AXD files and debugging left on.
Speaker 3: This isn't that we're twenty years ago. I love that more than twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: It require stupid people, not stupid switches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've we've seen debugging files turned on recently.
Speaker 2: That's true, but let's not talk about that.
Speaker 3: Yes, Wayne, let's not talk about that in certain places where we can get awesome credit card data anyway. So that being said, yeah, in this case, if somebody is walking you through, it'd be like somebody showing up at your house and being like, hey, i'd really love to give you a quote for a new roof, you might if we walk around and look at it, and you go, yeah, sure, and they were like, to do that, We're going to need to come in the house, I'm going to need to grab your key, We're going to need to make a copy of it. I'm going to go upstairs and plant some things in the attic just to monitor the roof. And then you know, we may come back on our own occasionally. And you're like, yeah, sure, okay, yeah that makes sense to give me a quote.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 3: Right, So if somebody's jumping you through a whole bunch of hoops that don't seem to make any sense, yeah, you're probably doing the wrong stuff.
Speaker 1: So this reminds me of a Star Trek Next Generation episode. The guy that did Max Headroom just kind of shows up in a ship and and has some they noticed some temporal anomaly, and then he beams over the Enterprise and he says he's from the future. He's a historian.
Speaker 2: Oh I remember that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, he's a historian. He just he wants to witness this amazing thing that's going on right now, and they all want to know what happens in the future. He can't tell them right, right, right, and so he starts stealing technology and after you know, the thing happens, which was a coincidence, he says, well, it's time for me to go, and they say not so fast. Turns out he was from the past and he's a huckster and he stole the time travel ship and came two hundred years into the future.
Speaker 2: Started taking tech to get technology so he could invent them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he could invent them. That's right. He was an inventor. So that that's kind of what it reminds me of. You know, you just just be aware when people tell you.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised that Elon husins sewell over his life story.
Speaker 3: Wow wow.
Speaker 1: All right, so it's an interesting story. Be careful and that's about all we can say.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, And you know, for those of you. The other thing I would say is for those of you who do develop on Android and have devices connected to your network and maybe do have the ADB port turned on on those devices, it may not be a bad idea to shut off if you're not developing on them, or keep them on an isolated network. Yeah. So it's it's not uncommon to be multi homed where I might have two network cards or you know, I'm talking on an isolated network, you know v LAN where you know I'm only talking those devices and they don't have access to the Internet. So if you do have to turn this on, just you know what you're doing. Just make sure it's it's isolated so other people can't connect to it and put the various things on there like we like to do, right Patrick.
Speaker 2: And advice for everyone. If someone asks you to jump through hoops, whether it's a person or AI, double check find out what they're doing, because the ai'll do that too. When I'm when I'm building systems, a lot of times it'll try to tell me to do something that's you know, crazy, and I'm like, you always should understand what you're being asked to do and why.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: AIS tend to look a lot like like hackers. Yeah, so yeah, absolutely, Speaking.
Speaker 1: Of AIS and guardrails, I was I got an email from Microsoft that I had to upgrade my Azure storage directory from verson GP something from version one to version two. And it's happening in October, right, and they'll be unavailable if I don't do it. Now. I don't know what to do, how to do that. So I opened Codex and I said, walk me through this. Now Codex doesn't have access to my accounts or anything, my passwords, my credentials, but I did log in and I got a PowerShell session and it basically gave me the commands step by step to go through and do this for each account. And it told me it said, look, I don't don't ever type in passwords and credentials into an AI, including me. So I thought that was really good that it's said that, you know, if you just are expected Codex.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so it was cool. This is a good experience. All right, we moved on.
Speaker 3: We've moved on.
Speaker 1: Yes, attacker uses suspected AI generated PowerShell script to map active directory.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, I mean okay, so boy meets AI, AI writes no seriously, Like, so what happens is you vibe code up something to you know, grab all the information you can't out of active directories. So for those of you who aren't network administrators, you know active directory and a Windows network or usually corporate networks or Windows networks, it's now called yeah, it's now called oh that's that.
Speaker 1: That's the cloud version.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that's the cloud version is entra. It doesn't matter. They're the same thing. Whether you're running it on your own it's active directory, but they're the same thing. It was stolen by Microsoft in the nineties from Novel anyways, actually legitimately, and this is the story I heard legitimately. The story I heard was the head engineer at Novel got hired away by Microsoft and that's where active directory came from. Was this engineer anyway? So very similar to the way that novelle used to work. And most people are probably thinking, what the hell is novel? Yeah? Did at history class data history talk about and no anyways? So I mean to talk about the bindery exactly. Let's go in to buyd dns from the seventies. So needless is say active directory is. Think of it as like a hierarchical database of objects that are have permissions and rights to certain things on your network. And those objects may be users, they might be desktops, they might be whatever. Right, most of the time people just think of the users, right, But computers are in there too. Actually, computers could be pretty powerful in there. If you can control a computer or a machine account. There's all sorts of fun stuff you can do. There was actually a really cool exploit where you could create as a normal user. If you could breach a network and grab normal user credentials, you could create up to five fake machines and then store them in active directory and then give them all sorts of special rights and yeah, anyways, that being said, games geeks play, Yeah, yeah, yeah. So in this particular case, yes, I'm attacker used vibe coding to go and cull information out of out of a active directory that they gained access to through remote desktop. So it doesn't it's not super clear as to whether remote desktop was installed and connected to the internet, whether it was they they get asked to us.
Speaker 1: But basically what it did is it looked for the domain controller and then mapped users, computers and domains, and then created a directory and exported a number of files and finally creating a report, an HTML report to measure the success of the enumeration attempt. So, you know, it was a I think it's a script that you would write. You know, that seems like something that you could do.
Speaker 2: Did they say what?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What tipped them off that it was Ai've generated? I mean, the beautiful output console output, Yeah, with different colors maybe a tip off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, a lot of times over engineered code, it says I Usually, like anytime you have an icon that's spit out, like hey, this is the users and this little user icon spits out on the terminal window, you're like, oh, yeah, that was a code because no programmers wouldn't do that, No developer whatever spend the time to find the right unicode for that icon.
Speaker 1: And the colors too, like that said, beautiful console output using cyan green red ye.
Speaker 3: Just no, not gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Is that because is that because developers don't have any taste?
Speaker 1: Is perfluis doesn't matter?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. It's because it's because we're efficient, is what it is. Patrick efficient. So is this novel? Like, oh my god, now you can't like no, we use tools like this all the time. Uh, you know, whether it's Pincastle or Bloodhound or whatever. There's all sorts of tools for enumerating active directory that are legitimate tools that you can buy a license to and use, and some of them, oddly enough, are free tools you can just download and use. So this is the most puzzling thing for me, is this this person decided to write their own when there's so many of them out there that exists that anti virus generally won't find because they're actually legitimate tools.
Speaker 1: But so here's your criminal career advice. If you're going to use AI to generate a script that you plan to use to make an attack, don't make it spit out colors and icons for Christ's.
Speaker 3: Sake, exactly. And maybe your first prompt should be is there already a tool that does this ruse? And that might be save you a couple tokens that you can use later on for important things.
Speaker 1: That's always the first question. Has this been done before? Where can I get it? Yep?
Speaker 3: Absolutely all right?
Speaker 1: So was the did they catch the guy or the girl or whatever?
Speaker 3: It's ongoing? It looks like ongoing.
Speaker 1: Okay. Next, SISA warns admins to patch actively exploited SharePoint flaws SharePoint who runs share Point? In two six?
Speaker 3: You know that was the most that was the most shocking part of this story, Carl, I know, because that was like I read that Wrongs probably runs it. Yeah, yeah, probably that's I think. Keep track of all those exploits. Uh yeah. The US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency oh, I don't think you should have the word of security twice in the name, but whatever. SISA warns today that attackers are actively exploiting three vulnerabilities to hack Internet exposed on premise SharePoint servers. Let me unpack that again. Internet exposed on premise share point servers?
Speaker 1: What could go wrong?
Speaker 3: If you, my dear listener, have an Internet exposed on premise.
Speaker 2: Anything, then you you are only listening to this show while you sleep.
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 3: I never yeah, like what, no, that's no. Like if you had okay, if you had to have SharePoint and you had to have people have access to it, you got to use something like a VPN, you got to hide a point something, because there's so many different ways to manipulate things like Sharepoints designed to be an open architecture of documents and sharing in that sort of time.
Speaker 1: It was designed before people even gave a rat's butt about security.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I can't tell it. I call SharePoint the cat of document libraries because it has nine lives. Every time I've heard about SharePoint, they're like, you know what they're getting rid of it? Yeah, sharep and nobody's gonna use it anymore. And then it's like, oh share points back, look at that. So it's fascinating though, that you would take a SharePoint server and then decide to manage it on your own, not put it up in the cloud where you have you know, people who are watching at twenty four to seven and know exactly what they're doing.
Speaker 2: I mean, Microsoft's made it really hard to host anything anymore. We gave up on I tried heroically, you did heroically to keep us hosting our own exchange, and it just made it impossible. I assume SharePoint is far, far beyond that.
Speaker 3: I fought Patrick tooth and nail, fought Patrick, and I was like, I will burn this server to the ground. Yeah, there's no need for us to maintain it. Well, it used to be back in the day, which was a Wednesday, Carl, thank you, Back in the day context managing your own if you were in the cloud and the cloud went down, you were so well right.
Speaker 2: But we made that switch over ten years ago. Oh absolutely, But it's not like we made the switch last Monday. No no, no, no, no. But like twenty years ago, fifteen years ago, if if Microsoft was down for a day, it wasn't unheard of. Yeah, right, for Office three sixty five. You go down and then you just didn't get email right, and we weren't willing to do that, and that's why we were hosting it, just to give you a little bit of props. Patrick Well, and we also had taught the Microsoft course on how to manage.
Speaker 3: We did do that. So actually do you remember the SharePoint course?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were the first to teach it as far as I know. And we had to talk to the course, right, I think it's long enough that we can talk about this, yes, to get that, and they were like, oh, I'm sorry, man, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Sahil Malick did a DVD SharePoint training for Franklin's Net. Oh I know a lot of people that made a lot of money writing share Yeah, aps, but that doesn't mean there was secure.
Speaker 3: Yeah that the the developer of the course was actually in our class and sat down and is watching it. And then when when labs and demos didn't work, we just looked over explains really really exactly and they were just like, we're so sorry, just keep moving but nothing anyway.
Speaker 1: The long and short of it is this, this was a you know, of vulnerability and it's patched isn't it.
Speaker 3: And yeah, absolutely so, SISA added three actively exploited, so they were actually seeing these exploited in the wild, you know, twenty twenty six three two two one, twenty twenty six four five six nine, and twenty twenty six five six one six four. This is April fourteenth, July first, and July fourteenth, so two of these are reasonably new. But you are absolutely gonna want to make sure that you go patch pit patch, patch, patch.
Speaker 1: Patchy patchy patch. All right, well, let's patch our way to a break and we'll be right back after these very important messages and we're back. It's security this week. I'm Carl, that's doing and Patrick and we got a few more stories for you here. Ernst and Young discloses data breach after support system hack. So hey, guess what another data breach? Do you think people are just like yawn?
Speaker 3: I think so. I mean, I've I've had family members come to me and be like what else could they take? Yeah, Like, honestly, there's not much that I haven't like, social security member, address, credit card number, pass where it's like there's really not much. Helse, so lock your credit account. We told you how to do that before. Yeah, and you know, be change your passwords in your password.
Speaker 2: Managers, change all your money for gold, exchange all your money for golden, ammo.
Speaker 3: Both one golden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't kill were wolves.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but if it's silver, it'll kill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's silver, Emma, and then you're good, sell it, shoot it whatever. Yeah. This this is this is another sort of story we've seen time and time again over I'd say, over the last two years, this has been more and more prevalent. Third parties support ticketing system managed by somebody else, not Ernst and Young gets breached supply chain, right, listen, Ernst and Young is they're they're good at what they do. They actually have an auditing and cyber division, this particular one that says Ernst you and offers tax consulting and transaction advisory services to major organizations in one hundred and fifty countries, so not a small organization.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: What they didn't mention in this article is how many records that you know, they are customers.
Speaker 3: They're they're good at what they do, so when they got breached, they know exactly what to say, which is nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not like anything really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they will say they're not going to say what records were breached. They're not going to say what the attackers had access to. They're not going to say. They're not going to say anything unless it forensically is identified as true, and then they'll put a letter out. So the letter of the law is they need to notify their user the potential user base, that some of their data may potentially have been leaked, and then they don't have to exactly say what was leaked until the forensics audit is done, which may take forever. Right, So the.
Speaker 1: Article does say the company employs four hundred and six thousand people and reported a global revenue of fifty three point two billion dollars last year.
Speaker 3: The other thing that it's interesting, I like humble bragging, I know, right, yeah, you know, we're small whatever, just a little company, just fifty four billion, fifty three to two really, I.
Speaker 2: Mean that is small by AI standards.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, I mean, so from the attackers had access to the platform from March twenty eighth to April twelfth, and then Ian Ernst and Young and whoever the third party is didn't notice it till later on twenty third. It was like, yeah, till the twenty third, So there was a fair bit of time where the attackers were in there for weeks pulling information and then finally they went, oh crap, somebody's been in here. And that points to another issue like what was where's the auditing in here? Why was it found weeks and weeks afterwards and not immediately during exfiltration of the data? Right? So I think a lot of that may come out as well.
Speaker 1: All right, so big mystery right now? Okay, Well, next story. SISA urges immediate action on actively exploited Fortinet flaws.
Speaker 3: Are old friends at Fortinet, Carl, what is this fortunet you talk about?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I've never heard of it before. They're only in every episode.
Speaker 3: Well, listeners, if you were a reoccurring character, this is the first episode you've listened to, But you too will get fordinite one percent of your episodes.
Speaker 1: More importantly, which forty X?
Speaker 3: It does it matter?
Speaker 1: Product? Does it?
Speaker 2: Which of the forty things?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't think it even it's the forty sandbox. It is, and you can get that in small, medium or large with extra fries. I like the forty sandbox, please with doesn't it sound like a like a you know, fast food they put forty in front of every product.
Speaker 3: Right, everything's like geez. So these X plays we've talked about, some of these have been around for a little while. I think the earliest one was dating to April fourteenth, So we're looking at CV twenty twenty six thirty three nine eight oh eight and twenty twenty six two fiveh eighty nine, So this is April fourteenth and June ninth. We have talked about both of these exploits on this show. We have talked about the patches and or ways to mitigate both these exploits on this show. At the time when we had announced these in April and June, there was not active exploitation in the field, right. The experts that be weren't saying, oh my gosh, this is you know, we're seeing massive amounts of people trying to exploit these. Now they are and this is so A. If you were listening to this and you did go patch, great, good for you, Good for you. B One of the things I did want to point out here as well is the difference between the CVE, which is a common vulnerability exploit, which is like, hey, you know, we know that you can exploit the system doesn't necessarily mean somebody in the Internet has done it. It may be a security researcher found the issue reported it responsibly, not like Midnight Eclips, which we'll talk about later, reported it for shadow. Yeah, I know, reported it responsibly. The security even the software vendor fixed it. And there's a patch that gets a CVE right. Software software companies get banks of cvees that they can assign themselves to security issues.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: A known vulnerability exploited vulnerability SISA has the UH the Known Exploited Vulnerabilities database. When something gets added to that database, it's already going to be an exploit we know about. So it's not new from the exploit standpoint, it's new from the usage standpoint. We're starting to see attackers use.
Speaker 2: It, and I think there's a trigger with government agencies on like they're in trouble if they haven't fixed it by them.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, and then they get some sort of ultimatum like fix it by Monday or.
Speaker 2: Or else we'll ask you on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Ye all. Yeah. That so needless to say this, it is one of the reasons we brought this back up. It isn't to beat the dead horse that is Fortinet. It's the fact that now that it's being reported as a known expletive vulnerability, you really do want to go through and make sure that everything's buttoned out and tight.
Speaker 1: Right. And if you were one of those people who went to your CSO and said patch this and they did, you can say, ah, wave the finger right, okay?
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Cybersecurity News report seven zip vulnerability exposes millions of users to remote.
Speaker 2: It's been a minute since we've seen a compressor vulnerability.
Speaker 1: Remote code execution risk. What happened with old seven zip?
Speaker 3: Oh? Seven zip's neat. So for those of you that don't use to zip, you might use wind zip, you might use wind rar. You might have no idea what any of those are.
Speaker 1: Just use what's in Windows. You can compress and uncompression.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so compression dates all the way back to p k's hip Phil Cats a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, even arc before that. Yes, you wrote that too.
Speaker 3: Where was Phil Cats from?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't even know if he's still alive or what he does.
Speaker 3: I'd venture to say New England area, smart guy, probably right, Probably.
Speaker 2: A little island that just got smaller and.
Speaker 3: Smaller exactly as he was compressing it.
Speaker 1: We should find him, We should find him and see if we could.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it'd be great, great, that would be great. All right, We're on the hunt for the old folks, for the old folks, for the old folks, the people who make us feel younger.
Speaker 1: Old folks home probably guming his neat low.
Speaker 3: That's what we gotta do. We're gonna broadcast live from shape Acres. It's Phil Katz. So, yeah, So these are compression utilities, right, seven zip, win zip when whatever?
Speaker 1: Right? And seven seven zip is the feature set is that it can handle multiple formats. Yeah, seven formats in fact, or is it Heine's fifty seven formats?
Speaker 3: I don't, oh, Patrick, if they'd only changed the spelling of.
Speaker 2: The I know, if I had only been in the will.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So in this particular case, you know, there is a buffer overrun what they call the x Z compression, the algorithms where you can then get it to execute code. What it does is it executes code under the context of the user. So this isn't to provask. This isn't like I'm a normal user in Hazzan. Now I'm an administrator. This isn't an attack your computer firm, you know, across the internet. This is you get some weird ZIP file from some rando or from you know III cloud at you know gmail dot com, and you download it, you write, click on it, and you happen to open it with seven zip, and they may get a command to run as you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can trigger a heap based buffer overflow, a memory corruption issue that occurs in data was written to a buffer exceeds the allocated space.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So if you're not running it as administrator, if you're running with what we call lease privileges that will help mitigate some of this. You can go patch this. The vulnerability has been fixed in twenty six oh two of seven zip. Interestingly enough, that x X compression. We've seen issues with this this algorithm in the past, I think we I know, we had reported on the z backdoor a while ago, in twenty twenty four. We had talked about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, long time.
Speaker 3: So for those of you who haven't been listening to this show since twenty twenty four, shoot, actually we've been here.
Speaker 2: Since five years man, twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah's twenty twenty. It's been a while. Five twenty sixteenth yeah, twenty one. You're right, Yeah, you're twenty twenty twenty one. Around there, COVID sucked. We decided to start a podcast anyway. Anyhow, back in twenty twenty four, it was discovered that there was a developer there is an open source project. Yeah, it was discovered that there was a developer who had been working on the x Z compression algorithm for for all sorts of utilities, right, whether it's seven zip or built in compression and Linux and that sort of stuff. And for two years, this developer built up CLOUTEP would do good things, would add you know, add good features, would go through your thicks, actual bugs for two years.
Speaker 2: And his name was Dwayne Laflotte.
Speaker 3: That's the long con, baby son, it is the long con. And then silently added back doors right that hooked like rs public keys and that sort of how you get access to us to ah riverers and that sort of thing. And they're still seeing ramifications of that today because it it went wide fast because they didn't know to look for this guy. Right.
Speaker 1: So you know what occurs to me here is that this buffer overflow, heap based buffer overflow tells me that this was not written in a managed language like C sharp or Java. Yeah, this must be the SEA or C plus plus or some other bare metal you know, manual memory allocation kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'll tell you he heap manipulation is, I mean, not as easy as stack like stack buffer overflows. Yeah, you overload a field and huzzah, now you're you're on the running execution stack. Heaps need to be groomed, so you actually have to like allocate space, dellogate space, allocate space, dellocate space, find angling pointers. Right, it's there. There has to be a fair bit to go into, you know, heapex plaint.
Speaker 1: And the objects and the heap get rearranged, just kind of like a hard DISTI fragment I used to do in the two thousands and then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, So not an easy class of overflow. If you're looking for easier class stacks, stack is easier class than a heap butt Yeah, needless to say, go patch seven zip if you have. If you know what seven zip is, go patch it or just stop using it for crying out loud, or just use what's built in the windows.
Speaker 1: All right. Our top story this week new Windows Legacy Hive zero day gives hackers admin privileges.
Speaker 2: Who could this be?
Speaker 1: This sounds very familiar to me.
Speaker 2: Who could this be?
Speaker 3: Yes, dear listeners, Nightmare Eclips, the same guy who brought you Blue Hammer, Red Sun, Undefended, Yellow Key, Green Plasma, Mini Plasma, Rogue Planet, and Great XML. These are all exploits that this person has released. Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: He basically went rogue after he warned Microsoft of some vulnerabilities and they're like.
Speaker 3: Eh, yeah, right, They're like whatever, whatever, and he's like, okay, okay, fine, cool, right. I mean some of it, some of these exploits are awesome if you go, if you go through some of.
Speaker 1: Them and Wayne flat sense of the word.
Speaker 3: Bypassing BitLocker key, I mean, there's nice stuff. There is a really great list of exploits here. And this one is no joke as well. So Live Legacy Hive is the newest one, and Microsoft is quote unquote looking into it. But what this guy has now taken to do and I say guy generically, could be a girl, could be a guy. I don't know, but I'm saying guy, what this guy has done is releases. He waits till patch. Tuesday, Microsoft puts out this massive patch and says, so, za, we fixed three hundred things, and then like hours later he releases an exploit that works on that patch. Ye, and he goes, oh, Microsoft patch today, look at that. It doesn't work. It doesn't fix anything, you know, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Right, that's why we this week had patch Wednesday as well as patch Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Soon we'll have patch Thursday in patch Friday.
Speaker 1: So I did, didn't we We had a patch on Tuesday and then one again on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep. So what's interesting about this one is this is a this is a potential remote code execution, well not remote code execution, privileged escalation really, where I can get another account to execute a command. Typically you're going to do the administrative account, right or anybody who has administrative privileges.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: You know. Two nightmare eclipses credit. The POC that uh that was released was defanged a little bit. It required that you at least knew a username and password on the system, and it required that you at least knew a third name of a different account. Although I think Kevin Beaumont said, uh, if you have half a brain, you know how to rip those out exactly and then get it to work. He did the stripe Mary West, just take it and use it. Yeah, exactly. So I think you probably could take the POC, maybe put it in codex and ask it to fix it.
Speaker 2: And he's a modern day Robinhood. And then you get decide whether you're on the side of the Sheriff of Nottingham or not in this case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Also known as Sachin as Yellow pushes.
Speaker 1: He pushes Microsoft to fix things. He does, he does, you know, that's that's how it works. He's kind of a jerk about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know he's gone rogue from the I get it, like I get We've had plenty of times I can't talk about on the air, but we've had plenty of times where we've discovered zero day exploits that were very damaging to massive amounts of people in financial institutions and when we released them and they just don't want to hear it. Chew the software company, I'd say seventy percent of the time we get so or what are you doing looking at this? Like that's yeah, yeah, or what are you doing looking at this? Or or you're kind of fat so it's not a feature you know, that's not going to sell features sell, So have a nice day. And then, as you know, not nightmare eclipse people. What do we do about it? Right?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the only way, the way that works for us is that we represent their customers. Yes, And so the customer comes and says, hey, you got notified that was a pen test for us. You need to fix this or we're not going to renew.
Speaker 3: Or we're not going to buy it anymore. And then that catches their eye, you'd think. And there are some companies we've caught numerous times on this and they still won't talk.
Speaker 1: To us directly changed their policies.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So it's frustrating. And so I'm not saying I condone just taking a you know, a zero day and throwing it out on the internet and saying, good look everybody. But you know, I understand the frustration. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: It has its effects, does well.
Speaker 1: The whole goal is to get the company to fix it, right, that's the goal.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: You don't want to harm anybody, Nope.
Speaker 3: No, if you wanted to harm somebody, you would take this and you would have released it on the dark webs somewhere. Yeah, made some money on it, right, and then they would do one mass damage. Yeah yeah, yeah, exactly right, monetize it.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's a that's a little grab bag of stories that happened last week. You guys cut anything else.
Speaker 2: That's a wrap.
Speaker 3: That's it. Yeah all right.
Speaker 1: I guess we'll see you next week on security this week, bye bye, thanks bye,