Speaker 1: The views expressed in the following program are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Saga nine sixty am or its management.
Speaker 2: It's Wednesday, and you know what that means.
Speaker 3: Ringside Heat is on the air on news Talk Saga nine sixty am and your favorite podcatcher, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Lex ten, hosted producer of the show. So glad you could join us for our post WrestleMania fallout review blah blah blah, whatever you want to call it, Episode two sixteen.
Speaker 2: We were called we're calling this one. They loved it, they loved it not.
Speaker 3: You can follow me at lex tan Media and you can follow the show at ringsid Underscore Heat. And alongside me today as always is our wrestling memorabilia collector who looks like to be cursed right now or at Leuziz looks like he's cursing me. You can follow him at Coco collect Chico Nugia, Chico Housen.
Speaker 2: How are you doing?
Speaker 4: How is it going? Yes, this was a good WrestleMania, let me tell you. Of course, popular opinion out there would have you say that it is It was half of a good WrestleMania.
Speaker 2: But I happen to think that both Knights were just fine, too great.
Speaker 3: And you know what, there's a lot, yes, I would agree that a lot of people out there who have been hating on this particular WrestleMania at least the first night of WrestleMania versus the second night of WrestleMania. But I will also contend as well alongside you Chico, that I enjoyed both nights as well. But at the same time, I can understand where some of that criticism comes from.
Speaker 2: So you know, let's get right into it, shall we.
Speaker 3: Sure, and for those of you in radio land and also on podcast land, and also because we're not putting these ones up on YouTube. At the moment she go goes wearing his Dan house in You Are Christ shirt and yeah, one of those moments again where Dan Housen steals the show on night number two thanks to a little segment with a little segment with the House of WrestleMania one man, the Invisible Man, John Cena he never seen seventeen and oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 3: Also later on there, Chico looks like he's holding up something, but I can't.
Speaker 2: It looks like I don't know what it is though, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a floating pair of George. Yes, exactly there, it is a floating pair of George. I don't know why I couldn't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I could not make that one out. Honestly. Yeah, it's great radio folks.
Speaker 3: Yes, but you know, hey, lead the mind, that's what it's. You know, you gotta describe things. We describe things on the air, and we let the people understand that, you know what. We couldn't see John Cena, but hey, besaws, Georgs, you know what.
Speaker 4: That was one of my favorite segments of the weekend, just like you were alluding to. And again some people were belly aching about it, like kind of being in between the uh what was before it?
Speaker 2: Was it.
Speaker 4: The one of the women's championships or something, the Rhea.
Speaker 2: Ripley defeating Jade Car Gill by pinfall.
Speaker 4: Yeah, between that, between that and the main event of Punk Versus Reigns. But of course you gotta have a little palette cleanse, and I think it was a really good palate cleanser. And honestly, just like maybe one or two people out there, I was kind of oddly emotional for dan Housen getting his moment at WrestleMania with John Cena. Because man, that guy Dan House and I'm speaking of has been really paying his dues on the indies for years, and he's just supposed to be like a quote unquote meme wrestler, right. I mean, that's basically what you know, hit his gimmick, I guess was all about for a lot of people, but it has entertainment value. And I said this just like a few other wise people said, you know, right from elimination Chamber, right from the elimination Chamber, pl e, from the debut of Dan Housen. Sure, Chicago bowed him, but that debut was also brilliant, and then I could tell from there that WWE was the right place for this guy and that he would be embraced by the masses in no time. And sure enough, other than the booze in Chicago, because people were somehow expecting Chris Jericho to pack himself in a crate for a month and think that that would be a good idea.
Speaker 3: The uh, you know, the only person who could do because you could you could pack it into a crank for a month. There's still actually this two there is the gobbledegooker and Dan Housen.
Speaker 4: Yes, but that that comparison is always kind of insulting. So I mean that Dan Housen was way beyond that. Oh for sure, piece of yeah for sure, piece of turkey crap. Anyway, Uh, dan Housen at WrestleMania brought out the midgets and before you and social media are gonna pour on the hey, just like Michael Cole said on commentary, he was told by those very same little people to call the midgets. So the midget Housends were there and it was fantastic. I was so amused. The mizz was the right foil, and so is Kit Wilson.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: So I mean it just went off, uh, you know, without without an inadvertent hitch, just deliberate ones.
Speaker 3: Yes exactly, and it's and and it's brilliant.
Speaker 2: What what as you mentioned about.
Speaker 3: The uh, the the hitches, the planned hitches.
Speaker 2: It broke, Sena Sina.
Speaker 3: I could tell and see that John Cena was trying to hold it together and trying to keep that straight face and whatever like that and like you know, be all host of WrestleMania and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: But he saw the he saw the planned hitches that were.
Speaker 3: Happening, and he needed he needed a few seconds to compose himself again. And that's how you know you got you You were over at least with the locker room, because you know John Cena, he can be straight faced with the rest of them, with the.
Speaker 2: Best of them.
Speaker 4: And come on, you cannot get any better than John Cena raising your hand at your first WrestleMania appearance.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: And he got his blimp Housen you know his list of demand Housens. You know, he even got to ride there the real good year blimp earlier.
Speaker 2: In the week that he got his triple H pointing picture. Yep.
Speaker 4: I mean all he needs is a personal assistant and a camera boy, like you know whatever whatever else is on that list. But dang, Dan Housen has been doing so good and he even won his debut match. I mean, what else can you ask for? So Dan Housen, I'm so proud of him. Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not related to him at all, nor do I have any ties to him, but somehow I'm just proud of him.
Speaker 3: I mean, hey, you know what wrestling community, it's where we can be a huge bunch around the world, but we're also it's a small world of wrestlers in the community and UH and because and when you start getting involved in the UH in the independent wrestling community, you find that you have people that are like you know, you can play.
Speaker 2: Six degrees of separation or six.
Speaker 3: Degrees of Kevin Bacon in the community and you can find it You're only what two degrees away from It's like Dwayn Johnson or something like that. Right, So, because of the affiliation with the guys in the industry, in the small world that it is, including and I'm we're gonna get to WrestleMania in a second.
Speaker 2: But UH, I want to commend UH.
Speaker 3: I want to commend the the wrestlers in UH in the professional wrestling stable Monopos. It is a stable of four wrestlers in the filip Filipino Canadian wrestlers UH and that consists of Kingsley, UH, Ticket Easy, Joey, Teyo, Dakila and Kuya Cole who all were able to be on shows in Las Vegas in the in in the Indies as well. Congratulations to guys like UH from Championship Sorry c c W Champion Classic Championship Wrestling, the promoter Mike Clark, who was one of the referees alongside the full Donovan for Sandman's final match in Las Vegas as well on.
Speaker 2: One of those in one of those indies indies shows.
Speaker 4: So speaking of invisible Men, right, I think it was Sandman versus the Invisible Men. Yes, it was, That's exactly what it was. And didn't Mick Foley show up to help Sandman to be to beat the Invisible Man?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there're thirty alongside Donovan and Mike Clark. There were like twenty eight other referees in that match as well too, counting the one, two three for the Sandman.
Speaker 4: Oh, good for him, good for all of them. Yeah, that was that's great. And the Sandman goes off into the sunset. You know, even the Invisible Man couldn't defeat him, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: And you know what though that and you know what, that's the That's the.
Speaker 3: Beauty about the h the independent wrestling scene is that you get these things that you don't usually get from from shows that need to be polished like a WWE, like an ae W, even though a w is like in D's with a budget it is, it still needs to have some sort of like you know, some guard rails in terms of that, in terms of that, like you know, good guardrails obviously, but at the same time, he's like, you not gonna find an invisible.
Speaker 2: Man match in a w or in w w WE, not this day.
Speaker 3: And age, so so so you know, and that's where, like you know, you get people making connections with each other that eventually get you onto the shows that I believe. I believe a couple of the Ontario wrestlers as well. I think maybe even Donovan got on.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Don't quote me on this, but I think full Donovan was actually one of the people that accompanied Dominic Mysterio to the ring on Night two in his match against Finn Balor, who uh the full Donovan. I think it's the Full Donovan. But I know that there were some Ontario wrestlers involved in uh in in uh in the Dominic Mysterio entrance. I have no idea, but good for him, yeah, uh but uh uh but but yeah, I mean like it's that that that's the reason why you got to go and support your local independent wrestling shows, including by the way, including Oshawa wrestling. I was actually on the Friday night UH during during SmackDown and and UH before w W Hall of Fame, I was actually calling Oshawa Wrestling's Moose Lodge Mania five over at the Moose Lodge in Oshawa. Great night of wrestling, great amazing crowd. We sold out, We had a standing room only and UH and it was just a really really fun night of wrestling. If you want to go and experience wrestling for and you don't want to break the bank, you could take the entire family.
Speaker 2: And still have some great action.
Speaker 3: Again, go to your local Ontario independent wrestling UH. You can get in Mississauga. Battle Arts is probably one of the best places to go. Also in Oshawa, you've got all the different promotions from UH, from UH, from Oshawa Wrestling and Great Canadian Wrestling and like UH so to support that because hey, there those people could be the next ww superstar then you and you got to see them right in front of your faces for cheap two anyway, Mike one of WrestleMania. In WrestleMania, we had seven matches to UH to UH to go for or to take in rather and we had we'll go around the well, I'll just run down the results on the card here of these seven matches that were aired, and then we'll talk about the we'll talk about the reception of Night number one. We'll debate things a little bit as well. But first of all, here are the results. Match number one, the USO's Jimmy and Jay and l A Night Yeah defeat the Vision Logan Paul and Austin Theory with ICE Show Speed by pinfall seven minute and eight second match, and it resulted with the Vision turning on Ice Show Speed and I Show Speed putting Logan Paul through the announced table by going shame man styles sort of.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you know, a very pretty I Show Speed. What do you call it? Splash? Yes, I show Splash.
Speaker 4: I think Michael Cole called it, and then Wade Barrett followed up and called it full Speed or.
Speaker 2: Something like that. So yeah, a lot of witty little things, but you know what for a cute little opener that would attract new eyes to the product because of people like Logan Paul and I Show Speed being involved.
Speaker 4: Pretty good way to start it off. I think not as hot as Night too. We'll get the Night too, but I mean decent way to start off Night one. It's fine, It was okay, and I got to come in. I show speedcause he had another one of these celebrities that has come in. And it shows that he's doing the work to not just make it look like some you know, like they didn't want to try hard because it's just wrestling or something. No, I show speed. He gave it a good go. It looked like he learned how to bump properly. It looked like he knew how to do that that jumping splash from the top turn buckle onto the announced desk. So it was it was well executed. It was fine, it was good.
Speaker 3: And and you know what, I know people on the internet as wealthy have been debating the what TKO said earlier, that that more celebrities could be involved in WrestleManias in the future. If now here's the thing for me, at least, if they show that they're like a bad Bunny or an Ice show Speed or a Logan Paul, even Jelly Roll. Right, if you can see the commitment to the excellence and to getting yourself to a point where you can hang with the big boys, even just for a few minutes, right, then you know what the then I would, I would be okay with that. I don't want celebrities to take you over the entire night, but at least if they put in the work and the and the wrestlers are good because it'll help them get over as well and put more eyes upon their work.
Speaker 2: I'm for that. Yeah, I'm okay with it too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you're saying, the caution there is to not let it overrun everything, because of course there's plenty of actual WWE contract and full time talent that do you need an opportunity to show off their wares. However, that's you know, it's it's just more money, exactly, So how can you say no to that?
Speaker 3: Exactly? Exactly exactly. And that's the end of the day. At the end of the day, it is about money. It is about the money you want to you're working in this business. You want to get to WWE because you want to make money. Guess what, on the independent circles, not much money out there, if at all, that you'll be making. But you know you'll still get paid from the for wrestling matches and everything too, So that's cool. But you want to get to WWE because that is life changing money for you.
Speaker 4: Right there exactly, and you have to deal with the consequences of being in a big corporation like that, right. I mean, I will say that TKO. Maybe the perception is there's overreach. I do maybe feel that because as we'll get to the main event of Night one, at some point, the road to it was really bumpy and could have done better without certain ingredients.
Speaker 2: But we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 3: M Jacob Fatuo defeating Drew McIntyre bat pinfall in an unsanctioned match. I enjoyed the match personally. It took fourteen minutes and nine seconds. But at the same time, for an unsanctioned match, I know that there are a lot of people that wanted to see more I guess guts, score, violence whatever like that, uh uh and or youah or blood and guts maybe, but but you want they wanted to. When you put something as an unsanctioned match, you kind of expect a little bit more intensity. But at the same time, I think that because Jacob Fatu is just so electric himself that it and also Drew McIntyre is they work so well together that even if it wasn't, as you know, balls of the walls, you know, the bloody, gutsy or whatever like that.
Speaker 2: It still worked for me. Yeah, it was still very good.
Speaker 4: I would have wanted more, like going around the arena, you know, like it wasn't a false count anywhere match, but an unsanctioned match.
Speaker 2: I think they could have pushed the envelope more. So I would have I would have maybe wanted another five minutes, you know, like go go around the arena a little bit more. But for what we got, honestly very good. I enjoyed it. M hm.
Speaker 3: Britty Bella and Page become the new WWE Women's Tag Team Champions, and of course the were the one name that I sort of like glossed over. Just now, Page returns to the WWE, taking over for Niki Bella who's injured still and what a moment, What a moment for U Sirea bevis for Page to return and you know, come back to you know, her house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she's home. So I'm very very happy.
Speaker 4: This is another one that got me emotional because just following Page's story from social media, uh you know, just like through the years and struggling to get cleared and everything, she actually just posted. So we're recording this on on Tuesday evening. She posted earlier on Tuesday that you know, a video of her getting cleared and her reaction to it, and she was emotional and crying, and the ww trainers there, you know, congratulating her kind of thing for getting cleared for WWE Action because Page never thought that she would be cleared just based on how everything went down. So I'm, you know, a fan of hers from from over the years, and I was hoping for her to do well in AEW and I think according to her, she did have fun in AEW with her stint there, but I think I think the goal was always to come back eventually for her, So she achieved that goal.
Speaker 2: And honestly, she looks great. You know, she looks like she really.
Speaker 4: Got tone in the right ways, Like she looks like a refined version of what she was in WWE before. It looks like she is ready to go, and it looks like she held off on coming back until she was absolutely ready to go. She looks great. I am looking forward to whatever run this is for however long it is.
Speaker 2: And to add on to.
Speaker 4: The to the hype around this match, I think it was after the match backstage, there was a picture of the Bella twins and Page and aj Lee posing together is probably in Gorilla holding up the four side as in the four horse Woman sign, and they kind of designated themselves or maybe Nikki did or something as the original four Horsewomen.
Speaker 2: And now I want.
Speaker 4: To see Sasha Banks come back to the company and the four Horsewomen, the actual four horse Women of the women's evolution, you know, having a war Games match against you know, Nikki and Brie and Page and a J.
Speaker 2: I would pay to see that. That would be awesome.
Speaker 4: I hope it happens at some point, whether it's this year or next year, I wouldn't mind. Yeah, those are all great names.
Speaker 3: To have a big dust up together, definitely, And congratulations to Page. You know what, that's wall because as opposed to Edge qu you know, who had to retire like in his what his mid thirties, I think it was when he was when he had to.
Speaker 2: Retire the first time.
Speaker 3: Paige she had to she had to retire because of her neck injury, very very early on in her career. But that also works out in her favor because she's still she's only thirty three years old, that's right.
Speaker 4: She is younger than a lot of the the upper tier women's talent in WW.
Speaker 3: Right now, and she is considered one of the veterans at thirty three. So it's it's so she has you know, health, you know, making sure that her health stays you know.
Speaker 2: I'll be up and up and everything. Uh, she still has a long way to go.
Speaker 3: Uh. Considered it again, if her health holds up and everything and and and and the surgery in her neck, uh is, you know, it's still going to be okay. But again, if she still has potentially a very long career ahead of her, and it is, uh, and and it's going to be a joy to see her rise up the ranks again, uh and compete with some of the newer talent out there.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Like maybe e Lyra Valkyria would be fun, could be a fun match to be that that's good for the Tiffany Stratton in her.
Speaker 2: I think they could actually do a pretty a pretty good job as well. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: Now this will challenge a lot of the women to learn how to have a good psychological wrestling match that doesn't require all sorts of jumping around. Because the names you mentioned, like Lyra is a you know, I mean she's good on the mat, but also she has like a top top row move or two I think, and definitely Tiffany's finisher is the pme.
Speaker 2: So as long as they don't.
Speaker 4: Overdo the flippy stuff, you know, because then Soirea sorry, Page cannot really do as much of the high flying stuff that you know, like she only could do a little bit of it in the first place because that's not her style. But now even more, she's got to work smarter, not harder, and so this will challenge the women that are there too to be versatile with their mat skills now too. So that's and and it should go that way because again that's how you achieve longevity and a lot of the best pro wrestling matches, as we will eventually talk about with a nine two main event, there's a lot of in ring psychology.
Speaker 2: That doesn't need, you know, all the speedy high fly stuff exactly.
Speaker 3: And you know what, before we go to break one of those wrestlers that also is considered a veteran but still very young as well too, Live Morgan. She's actually two years younger than Page, So so I mean there's the younger or older older this are younger, Live Morgan is thirty one.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right, yeah interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so I mean, like, you know, like she's also one of those wrestlers who will talk about after the break that you know, have served many years of the WWE already and considered one of the vets and one of this generation, but still has many many years of wrestley left in her.
Speaker 2: If health holds up and everything.
Speaker 3: But we will talk about Live Morgan and the rest of night one when we come back from the break on New Stoksaga Night at sixty am. We'll be back after these promotion considerations. Wait, this is the Rettle and you're listening to Springside.
Speaker 2: Stream US Live at SAGA nine dot c.
Speaker 3: Yo.
Speaker 2: Bro It is Vince Russo Man and you are listening to.
Speaker 5: Ringside Heat bro It News Talk Saga nine sixty am.
Speaker 2: Man, Welcome back to Ringside Heat on News Talk Saga and I at.
Speaker 3: Sixty am, lextand at lexand Media Ringside Heat at Ringside Underscore Heat alongside Chico Nougate at co Co collect Chico Housen uh looking like doing his best Dan Housen impression at the moment, eyes wide open and cursing me through the airwaves at the moment, and if you don't listen to him, then you are cursed.
Speaker 2: That's right, man, What a good weekend, all right? That one. Let's roll through a baby.
Speaker 3: Yep, Becky Lynch defeating aj Libit pinfall eight minutes and fifteen seconds and Becky becomes the WWE Women's Intercotton Champion again.
Speaker 2: Decent match and everything.
Speaker 3: I wish they could have gone a little bit longer, and I think that was one of the one of the criticisms that people had is that we had a lot of matches that were under ten minutes. It was the USO's, the the USO's match, the Becky Lynch match Live Morgan and Stephanie Vacare, which was a Women's World Championship match live, Morgan taking the taking the championship in six minutes and fifty one seconds only.
Speaker 4: So I didn't realize those matches were that short. So okay, people have a valid argument there when the matches are that short, even though I still enjoyed them, mind you, but the ads were unbearably long. Those were long ad breaks, I.
Speaker 2: Will give people that.
Speaker 4: But I still enjoyed the night, you know, like people were talking about it being a disaster and whatever. And you know, again, the ads are too much. That's that's that's a valid complaint. But I got a solution for that on the Netflix end of it for all of us internationally. Just tune in later and then you can scan through all of them like I did, or we did rather well.
Speaker 2: Yes, also because I also got to your place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly an hour and fifteen minutes, like after bell time at six o'clock, So we essentially.
Speaker 2: Skipped almost all the ad breaks. Yeah, and it was and it felt.
Speaker 3: You know, I wasn't I I because you skipped the ad breaks and everything. It was fine, honestly. Yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 2: I guess we were okay that way. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I guess now you know there are nights of resume in that will overcome even the long ad breaks a night two which we'll get to at some point.
Speaker 3: Yes, Gunther defeating Seth Rollins by submission, but Cody roadse defeating Randy Orton and becoming again the undisputed WWWE champion, so I'm sorry, retaining his undisputed w W championship against Day against the Randy Orton that was out for blood and still got it to do it, yep, And so yeah, both of the Yeah, yeah, they all ended up bloody and everything, and honestly, on honestly it was I again, I enjoyed the match. I didn't even mind Pat McAfee in his involvement in it either, even though a lot of people say that he yes, and I agree with a lot of people out there who say that he wasn't necessary, uh, in order to make that storyline work, And it was just a U and it was just an add on, uh, because from you know, Aria Manuel or something like that. But at the same time, it didn't take away Pat McAfee being there for me, at least, they didn't take away from my enjoyment of what was going on.
Speaker 2: Now, I do understand the frustration. Like I said, I do agree with you and everybody else that the addition of Pat McAfee felt forced and like shoehorned in.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: It really felt like corporate meddling, you know. So I believe that part of the rumors to be true, but we'll never know unless Unreal tells us, and even then we don't really know.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: You could tell that they did a creative pivot by having McAfee eliminated so early, m you know, like he well, not completely eliminated as we saw later on, but still eliminated from like most of the match. So all this big talk about changing wrestling, saving the business, you know, all of that stuff, and none of it was to go any further than WrestleMania Night one. Son in that sense, you know, I thought, maybe, okay, yeah, they shoehorned it and everything, But to me, killing it that quick was a waste. You now wasted our time and you killed it so you didn't even believe enough in your own bad choice to continue with it. So in that way, I am sharing some of the frustration. But even with the wonky booking and it took different routes, let me tell you unexpected. In my opinion, I enjoyed where we landed. You know, Cody, you could tell this was an evolved version of Cody. You could tell because you know, the last couple of years as a good guy, he was struggling on whether or not he should, you know, take the extra punch, or take that opportunity that presented itself, or take the low blow, you know, or take the belt shot. But it looked to me like part of the story told during the main event of Night one was Cody learned from all of that and he finally did whatever it took while still being a good guy, mind you, which is hard.
Speaker 2: To pull off.
Speaker 4: He took he did whatever it took to retain his championship, and Randy wasn't actually ready for it.
Speaker 2: Mm exactly.
Speaker 3: And the story and you see that story is actually, uh something that really worked very well because you know, when you have the viper Randy Orton, who has is not just oh nine viper but every part of Randy Orton since then, and he doesn't see what Cody Rose is able is actually capable of compelling himself.
Speaker 4: Yes, And it also looked like they did pivot with a Pat mcavee story and everything, so it looked like finally Randy saw the mistake that he made in in calling in Pat in the first place. Of course, he he got elbowed through the table by a jelly roll, and then later he came back with an outdated referee shirt by now in ww standards and a neck brace, you know, because you know he had to sell his encounter a jelly roll earlier. But he could run perfectly fine, apparently, so we had Pat in there, and then Randy even RKO the guy when he couldn't make the count. So I guess it was supposed to be a fast count rig right, but it didn't work. He Nick Patrick did, so you know, he got an RKO for his troubles and you know out out the door did that partnership go. And then at the end of course, when Randy was not successful, you know, he finally more fully gave into the voices in his head and brought back the punt to an already bloody Cody Rhodes. So to me, this is just an adjustment to continue the story, possibly until Summer Slam, or at least Backlatch. I think that's where we're going with this, because of course Randy left Cody unconscious, bloody and his eyeshut while Randy raised the ww Championship belt. So I don't think this is over. They did not mention anything about it on RAW, so I guess, but they're SmackDown guys, so I wasn't expecting it on Raw at all, even though Cody popped out there on RAW. But I still like by the end of the night, one main event I liked where we landed.
Speaker 2: It's fine. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing is that, like you know, you can tell and you can say that uh, you know, because a lot of people panned Night two of last year's WrestleMania forty one, especially because of you know, the lack of presence from one Dwayne Johnson and uh uh and and and all that to you know, really solidify that he'll turn from John Cena.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: But uh and but but uh we'll get into that a little bit later. But I but but but I liked how it uh started out and and and uh slowly rose to a to a point where you know, we're where you can just pick up from there and build on that for Night number two, which I think uh a lot of people have been saying that was obviously the better night of WrestleMania on the Sunday.
Speaker 2: We will get into that after we come back from the.
Speaker 3: Break on New Talk Saga Man sixty back after these promotional considerations.
Speaker 6: Hello, everyone, this is former Pro wrestling Slash Sports Entertainment referee Jimmy Corderos, and you're listening to the new voice of Pro Wrestling Slash Sports Entertainment in the GTA ringside heat right here. Our News Talk Saga nine sixty Am.
Speaker 1: No Radio, No Problem. Stream is live on Saga nine sixty am dot CA. A.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, I'm Shan Spears, and you're listening to Ringside Heat and welcome back to Ringside Heat on News Talk Saga.
Speaker 3: Nine sixty am, lextand at lexand Media Ringside Heat at Ringside Underscore Heat, because that's the way to talk things on the internets and the and these and the radios.
Speaker 2: And Chico Nougid is at Cocoa collect.
Speaker 3: Where you can find his wrestling memorabilia and also other memorabilia collection. And he is cursing me because I am stuttering through this introduction.
Speaker 2: Of the er. You're so cursable, that's why.
Speaker 3: Yes, s yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean, hey, someone's got to be the miss out of the out of the two of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a face only a mother could curse.
Speaker 3: And the episode two sixteen is what you're listening to right now.
Speaker 2: Call we call it. They loved it, they loved it not.
Speaker 3: And we are going to be going into night number two WrestleMania Sunday, April the nineteenth in Las Vegas, starting off with Obafemi defeating brock Lessner in a four minute and forty six minute match.
Speaker 2: Yeah, four minute and forty six second match.
Speaker 3: Rather, we had Penta defeating javonn Evans, Dragon Ly j McDonald, rus seven raymis Stereo retrieving the WWE Intercontinental Championship in a six pack ladder match that was fifteen minutes and eight seconds, Trick Williams with Lil Yachti defeating Sam He's In by pinfall seven minutes and seven seconds, the Demon Fittenballer defeating Dominic the Stereo by pinfall in the Street Fight ten minutes and twenty seven seconds, Riot Ripley defeating Jade Cargill by pinfall, Women's Champ WWA Women's Championship match, Riya Ripley a new Champ ten minutes and eight seconds, and Roman Rains defeating CM Punk by pinfall. Thirty three minutes and fifty six seconds was the time of the match. Your New World Have You eight Champion. We acknowledge the Tribal Chief Robin Rains, who came out to his original Tribal Chief theme song Beauty Full. And that was a night as well that I spent at Real Sports Bar and Grill at their Wrestlemingia watch party, which is a fine experience overall, and when I do it again, probably I would say it was a good night.
Speaker 2: I got some pretty good march too.
Speaker 3: I got a I got one of those WWE Toronto Raptors Luchador and.
Speaker 2: I've got one.
Speaker 3: And and they gave a custom shirt as well to WrestleMania forty two Vegas custom shirt with with with with their own custom logo because they actually had to see a tower on it and everything. So and that said WrestleMania to Watch party at Real Sports Bar and Grill.
Speaker 2: So hey, you know what the twenty five the twenty five dollars cover charge was for shirt. I'm good for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, WrestleMania to Watch party. So I guess you took a time travel WrestleMania forty two. Yes, I see, I see. Okay, all right, because you would have been a lot more bored if you want to watch that WrestleMania over there anyways. So of course, if we're talking night too, you cannot gloss over the opening match.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Holy moly.
Speaker 4: I will say the one criticism that I have of that match is one that I made before. I wish that Oba's entrance would be in a stadium that could get real dark, because I.
Speaker 3: Think it's more effective. However, camera Jill had the mystique camera angles and everything, so hey, you know what, it's all good?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, no, it could have been better, but you can't control that cause this nature and that stadium had transparent walls and stuff, so we were not we were never going to get the full effect and I got over that anyways. Plus the match itself was exactly what it needed to be a vehicle to bring mister Obafemi to the main roster in the biggest of ways. But of course the content of the match and you know, Oba hitting his fall from grace, finisher, set out, pump look, pop up, set out, power bomb to brock Lesnar was not the end of it. The one two three happened Oba for the wind like we predicted and wanted and got. But what happened after.
Speaker 3: Brock Lesner showed that he was uh calling it a career, took off his his his wrestling boots and his wrestling gloves and laid them out in the ring, and Paul Hayman literally was like Paul him and you know, you don't see him get emotional a lot, but when he does, you can really feel it.
Speaker 2: And the same with brock dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, for sure, sorry, Paul, Yeah, of course brock Lessner himself.
Speaker 2: He was crying in the ring. I mean, you know, there's no crying in baseball.
Speaker 4: This is a baseball Yeah, that's what I thought in my head. I'm like, is he crying? Is he crying? There's no crying in baseball? Of course. Reference to a League of the Row and Tom Hanks for the kids who don't know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: So great movie, by the way, it was.
Speaker 4: Speaking of great, that was a great opener I think an all time great opener for WrestleMania. Man, it was really good. Now, mind you, it was short, but that's what it needed to be. It needed to be a win, a definitive win with a pinfall for Obafemi. And so, just like he said on Monday Night Raw and is very simple but intim midating promo in a suit on Monday the Raw after WrestleMania, the Ruler has arrived.
Speaker 2: M has Brock retired. I think he has.
Speaker 4: I think I think him doing the the X with his arms when he did the retirement right before that, Big Hug with Paul Hayman means that he feels that it's real and that's it. And they didn't address it with Gunther on camera on Monday Night Raw. They didn't address it at all. So I think this possibly could actually be it for Brock and why not at the biggest stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, and did it the right way, putting over a young new talent that is going to make a lot of waves on the main roster once he gets going.
Speaker 2: And you know what, you know people have done that.
Speaker 3: The Rock did that for Brock back on SummerSlam, and the under Taker did that for Brock.
Speaker 4: Goodness sake, let's not dwell on that too much. But yes, they did it for broadcast.
Speaker 3: No, no, I don't mean I don't mean twenty sixty, I mean back in the roofless aggression era.
Speaker 2: Nah, yes, of course.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so i'd like to because we're running out of time over here. We only have about ten minutes left with airtime over here. Uh, but I would I want to get to the demon finn Balor and that dominic mysterio and the fact that the Finn Balor looked absolutely stellar that night as the demon, and you.
Speaker 2: Know, kudos to the streamer cleanup crew. Oh that was quick. I can't believe how quick they did that. Yeah, but it's good.
Speaker 4: Like look when you dress up Finn and demon gear and it's some against a character like Dominic Mysterio, Finn Baler is gonna win.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing you want to that's the thing you want to see Dominic Mysterio. Get A asked, well, you want to see the demon actually, like you know, overcome uh Finn Balor and you know take it to that next level, you don't you and you want to see uh just you you you want to see just there's just someone getting just just getting this not checked out of them and everything. And that's what we got. And it was fine. I was good and I enjoyed that. Uh Ria Ripley and Jade Cargill was I mean again, good match and everything. It's just that it was a little I just expected. I expected rita win. I expected rita win. Jade wasn't exactly I instilled, not sold completely on Jade Cargill.
Speaker 2: Uh but uh I I but I don't.
Speaker 3: Know what you can do with Jade Cargill to make her uh more interesting in this at this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now you know what the Jade experiment was okay at times, but yeah, it was time to be thrown her for sure. So the right person got that title. Uh we'll see what uh Rhea Ripley does with it. But I'm sure, like she has been for the past few years, gonna You're gonna be a big, big, big star mm hmm. And we have the main event to talk about Roman Reigns before we go there. Man, you gotta you gotta give Trick Williams his due though, oh just quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, well Trick Williams again uh you know, defeating Sammy's ain United States.
Speaker 2: Champion uh and uh you know, and.
Speaker 3: Again another one of those good young superstars that are going to uh dominate this roster in years to come. Uh and a good start again by by by getting to win over Sammy's ainu which also sets him up for his own little storyline to get himself from the bottom going to the top possibly and we'll see how that goes. But I do want to go, but but we do need to talk about Roman rains and see him punk because uh that because so good. Yeah, it was very uh, very very good match to end the weekend and and everything. It was interesting to hear from actually one wrestling fan that I ran into at the local mall near my place and he's and that he didn't enjoy WrestleMania this weekend. He thought he didn't like the way that Triple H was taking the direction of the company. He was more he liked the Attitude era style of booking and everything.
Speaker 2: But I had to disagree. I have to disagree, but I did a big But the thing is, it's like it is.
Speaker 3: The story of Roman reigns and see him punk over the last few weeks have been just the easiest, simplest story, just a little bit more refined by years and years of storytelling by WWE and great character work between the two of them and the history that they have within each themselves.
Speaker 2: In each other. It's two guys who hated.
Speaker 3: The hell out of each other, and there was a title on the line, let's go and kick each other, but in order to and just rock the house that way, and that's what they did. They hated each other and they just wanted to kick each the aasses.
Speaker 4: Now, the one criticism I will have about this is they kind of threw out the credibility of the ref. Pretty early on, Roman Reigns blatantly used the ring steps while the ref was looking right at them, and the countouts I guess, just got thrown out the window. They might as well have announced this as a no DQ match. I would have been fine with that, but it evened out throughout the match because both guys resorted to some dirty tactics, and even that didn't really bother me because overall, just the drama, the high stakes, you know, the moves at the right time, you know, the crescendo at the right time, and I think the right result for the next little while's worth of stories happened at the end, and so Punk versus Rains. Some people touted it as the best restle Mania match since Taker HBK One at WrestleMania twenty five Big praise, mind you, And then somebody else that I know that we know countered with Cody versus Roman at WrestleMania forty, but then that involved shenanigans, So maybe the best one on one only the two competitors in the match since Taker HBK One. I would be inclined to agree with that, because I think since then nothing has stood out this much as an all time classic with just the two participants and no one else getting involved, Okay.
Speaker 2: And I would agree with that. I would agree with that.
Speaker 3: I still think that WrestleMania forty main event just as it is, no just just as a segment of wrestling match doesn't matter who was involved or who was not involved. I still think that was better than WrestleMania forty two. And I'm trying not to put my own bias in it because I experienced it live with you. But at the same time, Wrestlmania forty two great great match, and I think one of the reasons why at real sports we weren't as loud as I thought it could be is because we were just all so entranced by the actual match itself. And that's something I find about Toronto fans. At Toronto fans and particularly Toronto Maple Leaf fans, the people will say that, oh, it's so corporate, or so they're so quiet, whatever, that the real fans are up in the top row whatever like that, and they probably are, but they're also just intent on watching the quality of the hockey that's in front of them. And I think that's kind of what we what I found at Real Sports that night is that everybody was just glued to the big screen and all of the little screens as well too in that place, because that places a lot of screens. And and yeah, I mean it was loud when Sam Pump came out out and entered. It was loud when Roman, when Roman came out to the original Bloodline theme, it was and the pop for seam Punk getting the pinfall afterwards was also loud.
Speaker 2: That in between everybody was just paying attention. It was just it was interesting. And how is the pop for when Roman Rains got the pinfall to end it?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry that when when Sam Punk lost, I'm sorry when Roman Reigns got the pinfall to end it, it was allowed.
Speaker 2: It was very loud in that uh, in that bar.
Speaker 4: But and so Roman ends up with his first World heavyweight championship in his eleventh main event at WrestleMania m hm.
Speaker 2: He's now a seven time champion yep.
Speaker 4: And he came out on the raw Romania and brought out his cousins, the usos and we had a little mini reunion of the O G three in the Bloodline. So that's interesting.
Speaker 2: And then it became Jacob Fatu challenging Roman for the World Heavyweight Championship. So interesting developments. The road goes on because w w WE Pro Wrestling has no off season.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and and you know this is also you know, getting the bloodline, getting the other members of the bloodline involved, the other cousins and everything.
Speaker 2: It's it worked, and it's it's worked for thirty some odd years. Yeah, it's the moments. Man. That family is just insanely talented.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah they are, hey, and they kept our attention for about four or five years with the actual og bloodline story. So let's see what happens from here on out. But congrats to the tribal chief. I acknowledge Roman Raines as the tribal chief and now the World heavyweight Champion. What a Night two and what a way to close.
Speaker 3: It off, and so and before we go, we just have a little bit, we have less than a min or something like that.
Speaker 2: Again, I think it was paced the right way.
Speaker 3: You had some good matches and you and you had a good building for Night one and then.
Speaker 2: It just crescendoed Night two.
Speaker 3: So it was something there wasn't a drop off for me particularly, So yeah, I mean neither man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so it's good. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: And I think a lot of people need to, you know, just understand that maybe WRESTLMANIU forty kind of spoiled us in terms of like you know, epic noess of main events and everything, and it's going to take a while to come down off of that. But there is some good quality wrestling, some good high level storytelling that's involved here. And I think that there's too much outrage in this well on the Internet in the whole.
Speaker 2: But the IWC, the Internet wrestling community just.
Speaker 3: Maybe doesn't know when to say, you know what, let's just enjoy things for what they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the okay, so for the you know, so called little short match times. Honestly, every match maximized their time in my opinion, Yes and again, and I enjoyed all of them.
Speaker 4: And it's so funny if people are missing the Attitude era and complaining about this modern day product and they're complaining about the short matches and yet wanting the Attitude era, you see how incongruent that is. Yes, yeah, come on, guys, know what you're complaining with too, man, come on.
Speaker 3: Exactly, But hey, you know what WrestleMania is WrestleMania, and hey, we're gonna get and we're gonna see it all again next year.
Speaker 2: But we're also gonna follow the.
Speaker 3: Story as we go along the week, from week to week to week here on Sago n I sixty eight in ringsite Heat. Thank you to Chico, thank to thank you to all of you for listening. Follow the show at ringside underscore heat. We remember the things that you probably forgot.