Speaker 1: In today's episode, we look at why farmers in Rajasthan are challenging the GI tags granted to Unja Jira and Unja Fenel. We also talk about a proposed railway expansion through the Sathpuda mail Card Tiger landscape, where questions remain over its impact on a crucial wildlife corridor. But first we talk about India's decision to keep the Indus Waters Treaty with Pakistan on hold and how that has moved one of the world's most important water sharing agreements into one of its most uncertain phases. Hi am Atchasharma and you're listening to three Things the Indian Express new show. The Indus Water Treaty, signed in nineteen sixty has often been described as a rare success in India Pakistan relations because it has survived repeated conflicts. But India is now our that the pact can no longer be treated as a static arrangement because the ground realities have changed sharply.
Speaker 2: So India has put the Indus Waters Treaty in abeyance, which basically means that India says that we are no longer bound by the provisions of this treaty and this happened after the Pehlgam terrorist attack last year.
Speaker 1: That's the Indian Express is Amatav Senha who reports on environment, climate change and water for the.
Speaker 2: Newspaper, and even before that, and our listeners would probably remember that a similar sort of a situation had arisen in twenty sixteen after the terrorist attack in Uri, and at that time Prime Minister and Aranromodi had made that famous statement saying kun or panisatsat nehibehengi, no blood and water cannot flow together. So that twenty sixteen is actually the start of the present sort of imbroglio that we see on Indus Waters Treaty, which has continued till now. So it's been ten years now that twenty sixteen event had happened and India had decided to use Indus Waters Treaty as some sort of leverage, which we had not done earlier.
Speaker 1: Now that's central to understanding why this treaty lasted as long as it did.
Speaker 2: One of the main reasons why it has survived so long is the fact that under the treaty, because India is the upper Ryparian state, most of the obligations and the responsibilities are on India and not on Pakistan. So it was India's responsibility to allow the waters to flow, not to disrupt the flow, not to change the floor, not to do anything which sort of is errupts the flow down to Pakistan.
Speaker 3: And that's natural.
Speaker 2: That would always be the responsibility of the Upper Riparian state. So the main reason why the treaty has continued for so long and it's been a success is the fact that India actually abided by the provisions of the treaty in good faith despite the provocations from Pakistan. And this is not very well appreciated when this point is made that the treaty has survived wars and tensions and terrorist attacks. It has survived because India continued to abide by the Indus Waters Treaty and did not disrupt it at any point of time, despite all the provocations that happened from Pakistani side regarding terrorist attacks and wars.
Speaker 1: Amatap says that the treaty divides the Indus Basin rivers in an unusual way. The western rivers Indus Jalam Chaina are for Pakistan's use. India has to let their waters flow into Pakistan, though it can use some of the water for irrigation and hydro power under certain conditions. On the other hand, the eastern rivers, the sutlerge Brs and Ravi are allocated to India, though Pakistan can use whatever water from these rivers that flows into its territory. This structure is also why the treaty has been described by experts not as a normal sharing arrangement. Because most water sharing treaties allocate volumes or percentages of flow. The Indus Waters Treaty assigns entire rivers to one side or the other. So the Indian argument now is that this model is too rigid for the present moment.
Speaker 2: Because there are official reasons and there are the actual reasons behind it. The official reason, of course India says that the ground situation has changed and there is a lot of truth in it, and there have been recent studies as well which point out to the fact that the situation is drastically different from what it was in the nineteen fifties and nineteen sixties and the conditions under which the treaty was negotiated and finalized. That situation no longer exists and we are talking not in security terms but in terms of water demand, in terms of the number of people who are dependent on this water, in terms of the climate change, in terms of new uses of water coming up, so the ground situation has changed completely. And India's point is that look, sixty sixty five years is a long time to review a water sharing arrangement and let us renegotiate this treaty now.
Speaker 1: One of the things missing from the treaty is groundwater. Even though aquifiers, which are basically an underground layer of permeable rock or gravel that store and transmit groundwater, do not follow political borders.
Speaker 2: So a lot of these modern water sharing arrangements they do take into account groundwater resources as well. Because groundwater resources are also transboundary, they have an effect. They are very directly related to the surface waters. In fact, they form the same system. So in this water's treaty talks only about surface waters and not about the groundwaters. There are lots of other things that a modern water sharing treaty would have, for example, environmental flows, for example, pollution load and some of these things even Pakistan, especially on what can be dumped into a river and not those kind of things that even Pakistan has raised concerns about in the past. So a modern water sharing agreement would be very different from what the Indus Waters Treaty is because new techniques have come up, new methods for collaborative you know, water management systems, they have come up. There is new technology that have come up. So if we have a newer treaty, which is what India is making an argument for, then we can go in for a very different sort of a more modern and more efficient water management system in this basin.
Speaker 1: But Amatab says climate is only one part of the problem.
Speaker 2: Now we mentioned the fact that this current situation can be traced back to the twenty sixteen event, the attack in Uri and the Prime Minister's statement.
Speaker 3: Now, after that.
Speaker 2: Things seemed to have normalized, but not quite. It was at that point that India realized that the time was actually up and it was probably you know, the Indus Waters Treaty should be used as a leverage or not the treaty itself, but the fact that India was an Upper Raperian state should be used as a leverage. If Pakistan continues to support cross bowder terrorism or to send terrorists into the Indian side or carry out terrorists strikes in India.
Speaker 1: India has formally issued notices to Pakistan seeking modification or renegotiation of the treaty, but Pakistan has still not responded to India's notices, even though it has made strong public statements, organized and international conference on the treaty and warned of consequences if river flows are disrupted.
Speaker 2: So Pakistan has not responded to this specific request about renegotiating the treaty. But it is not that there has been no communication between the two countries. In fact, there have been multiple communications, mostly about the sharing of data. Now, as our listeners would know, under the Indus Waters Treaty, there was a permanent mechanism that was set up called the Permanent Indus Commission, and there used to be an Indus Commissioner in both the countries who used to meet every year to oversee the implementation of the treaty and also share data.
Speaker 1: Since India put the Treaty in abeyance, the Permanent Indus Commission has effectively stopped functioning from India's perspective. However, communication between the two countries has not completely stopped. India has continued to share some water related data with Pakistan through diplomatic channels, including the Indian High Commission in Islamabad. This is especially done when heavy rainfall or high river flows could require warnings. But this is no longer happening through the treaty's regular system, so the flow of information is not as regular or systematic as it was before. Now. Another issue that Amitab highlights is institutional design.
Speaker 2: Now there are lots of water sharing treaty across the world, over eight hundred I think treaties. They exist across the world on a cross boundary water sharing and a lot of them, at least the ones that have been negotiated in modern times in the last couple of decades to three four decades, or even the ones that were done earlier. Most of them have in built clauses to review the working of the treaty after a certain period or have some other mechanisms in which allows the participating countries to have a relook at the treaty and amend the provisions as needed. Because water sharing and the amount of water flowing rivers is not constant, it keeps changing with time, and in a lot of similar kind of treaties around the world, there are inbuilt provisions to have a review after a certain period of time. The Indus Waters Treaty does not have that, and though there are things that can be done with the consent of the two countries, but there is no sort of inbuilt review mechanism after a certain time period as there is in India's other water sharing agreement, the one that it has with Bangladesh, for example, over the Ganga River. No, India and Bangladesh have shared fifty four rivers between them, there is a treaty, a water sharing agreement only on one of them, that is the Ganga River. And that Ganga River treaty that happened in nineteen ninety six, and it has an inbuilt mechanism which says we'll review the treaty after thirty years. So this year, the Ganga Waters Treaty with Bangladesh is coming to an end and it is up for review, and a lot of others also have it. So Indus did not have it. And what India is saying is, look, the ground conditions have changed and therefore let's renegotiate the treaty.
Speaker 1: And so the deeper question is what renegosi actually means here.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's be very clear here. When India is talking about renegotiation of the treaty. It is actually talking about a completely new treaty. It's not about amending the provisions of the Indus Waters Treaty. Now, these are the kind of things that India will not say on record and its official briefings and all. But it's very clear that as far as India is concerned, and if we just drop our editorial precautions also for a second, what the current position means is that the Indus Waters Treaty is dead, at least as far as India is concerned. Number two, this is something An entirely new treaty is something that is going to be very difficult for Pakistan to accept. In fact, it would be unacceptable to Pakistan because even as it routinely complains about the treaty being unfair to it, the fact is that even Pakistan realizes that this is a very good arrangement that it got and this is the best that it can ever have have and any future water sharing arrangement or a treaty with India probably would not be as good as the current provisions of Indus Waters Treaty is. So, if the talk is about a new treaty, which is what India. Means now it would almost be completely unacceptable to Pakistan.
Speaker 1: An Amatam say is India's push for any new arrangement would be for one that is strictly bilateral.
Speaker 2: As our listeners would know, the current Indus Waters Treaty has a third party as well, the World Bank, which facilitated the negotiations and which is the guaranteer of the treaty, which is also sort of a facilitator in a dispute resolution. So India would want any few treaty as a strictly bilateral treaty against something that Pakistan would find it very, very difficult to accept. Pakistan always finds comfort in the fact that there is a third party involved to deal with its relations with India, So any future treaty that is going to be strictly bilateral would be difficult for Pakistan to accept. So this is the situation as of now, and it seems again dropping the precautions for a second, as it seems that the Indus Waters Treaty one would never be back to its original state as we had seen a couple of years ago, and even a new treaty might not be there to replace it.
Speaker 1: So what that means is that we will remain in the current situation where the two sides continue to share river water without a formal agreement. But Amitav says this is not unusual at.
Speaker 2: There are hundreds of rivers which are shared across countries, which flow across boundaries of countries over which there are no water sharing arrangements. A very good case in point is the transboundary rivers between India and China. We do not have a proper treaty over water sharing of these rivers over Brahmaputray and other rivers, even though we coordinate and we share data with each other, but we do not have a water sharing agreement. Similarly, as we mentioned earlier with Bangladesh, we have an agreement only on Ganga, whereas there are a lot many other rivers that flow between the two countries. So it's not an unusual situation wherein the river waters continue to flow across the two countries without the two countries having a formal water sharing arrangement.
Speaker 1: Now, another question that arises is what if Pakistan agrees to renegotiate.
Speaker 2: So even if let's say tomorrow Pakistan comes back and says okay, let's renegotiate. You made the offer, we accept it. The renegotiation is unlikely to begin anytime soon. Firstly because India's decision to hold the treaty in a byans is contingent on Pakistan stopping its support for cross border terrorism. Now, if that happens overnight, that Pakistan, you know, stops supporting terrorism, that would be a miracle, you know, So that's unlikely to happen. So you know, this decision is not going anywhere as unlikely to be changed. But even if supposing, you know, a miracle happens, and you know, Pakistan stops supporting cross border terrorism, as to the satisfaction of the Indian side, even then, you know, India right now is more concerned with finishing a lot of projects in Jerman Kashmir, which had been held up for years because of Pakistan's repeated objections in working the clauses of the Indus Waters Treaty. And now because we no longer consider ourselves bound by the provisions of Induswater's Treaty, we are going ahead in completing those projects, and there are at least eight projects that are under construction right now. We would ideally like to finish them, all of them in the next three to four years and till that time as these projects are completed. Frankly, we are not even interested in having a new treaty in place. Primary concern is to somehow get those projects completed in the next three to four years. There is an investment of almost topia fifty thousand corod that has been involved in this and we would like to get that completed first.
Speaker 1: And next we talk about the problem that farmers from Rajasthan have with a particular GI or Geographical Indication tag, this time awarded by the Geographical Indications Registry is given to products that come from a specific geographical region and have unique characteristics or qualities. This essentially works like a trademark in the international market. Think of tea from dadgelaying apples from kinnor silk from Mysore or Majuli masks from Asam. All of these have received GI tags. The idea is to protect the interests of local growers and artisans by preventing imitation and unauthorized sales of these products. Now recently, the Unja region in Gujarat's Mesana District received a GI tag in the name of the agricultural produced Market Committee. The tag is for the region's Jira andsoft cuman and fennel seeds, but farmers in the neighboring state of Rajasthan are unhappy with this GI tag. They argue that Unja is primarily a marketing center rather than a production hub for these two major seed spices. Further understand their argument and what impact it could have on the sale of their produce, Michael Aharaka Nanda speaks to the indiet Expresses Rural Affairs editor.
Speaker 4: So Haj what is this dispute over GI tags for Unja Jira and Unja Fenil.
Speaker 5: And why are Rajasthans farmers opposing them?
Speaker 3: So, the entire problem comes from the fact that Unja doesn't seem to be a big place of production of either Jura or either Jira or for that matter, Jira is basically cuman seed and or off of that matter, storms which is basically final. So Unja is known as a place of marketing. It's probably the world's biggest market for these seeds sprices. This is probably one of the first cases where produce, you know, GI is being given to a produce not from where it has grown, but from but where it is marketed and it is definitely being marketed in a very big way, There's no doubt about it, you know. And I think that is where the farmers from Rajasthan have raised an objection. There is also a second problem, which according to me, seems to be more authentic. You know. See, it's crucible that you know, jira cultivation originated in Unja and the nearby areas. You know, so when we say Unja and the nearby areas, it would mean Meisana district, Okay. But in this case, what they have done is, you know, they've applied for the GI and this GA covers almost half of Gujarat. You know, it's not just Messana district. You know, Unja is in Nassana district. It also includes you know nearby districts you know, Banas, Contact Patan, Gadhima there and goes all the way to Cutch. More. We which seems a little real problem. So what farmers in Rajasthan are saying that there are many parts in Rajasthan where we are growing jira and songs and which are closer to Unja market than absolutely distant places within Gujarat and Arish.
Speaker 4: Who grants these GI tags is there any specific organization for this task.
Speaker 3: Ideally, when you grant a geographical indication, you know, they should be some validation from a third party, from a third party which is independent, you know and has the domain expertise. Whereas here, I think the validation they have taken from you know, entirely institutions within Gujarat, like for example, the Dantewada Agricultural University in Barnas contacts and the Directorate of Horticulture Environment of Gujarat, you know, and then Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India, you know, Gujarat. So when the GI Registry in Jena, which is at all an all India organization, when they grant the geographical indication, they should be looking at, you know, who is authenticating all these data, the information and all these things. So ideally, I think maybe in the case of Unja Jira and Unja songs, you know, to show that this is very unique, you know, it's not grown anywhere. It is indigenous, So maybe we should have taken the opinion of saying an institution like the ICA, you know, the Indian Council for agul Cultural Research, so ICR has even an institute you know, it's called the National Research Center on Seat Spicies, which is a nudgemir you know, so some kind of a third party certification is required. You know. See, ultimately, when we are giving out a GI for anything, the world has to respect it, right, the world has to say, hey, okay, ounda gira blasma TV dazzling tea. Yeah, this has been based on, you know, some kind of an independent validation.
Speaker 4: And how does this GI tag impact farmers who are growing this funnel and human what is its significance?
Speaker 3: So I think what farmers in Rajasthan are spared is that next time when they go to sell you know, gira or some their prices will be beaten down. See what does a GI do. GI basically confers a premium to the produce of a particular region. Right, so the farmer is scared that, you know, the traders will say, no, you're a Gira is not Unja gira. It is basically Rajasthan gira.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: So farmers are afraid that they'll be a marking down when it comes to the price. You know. So farmers are definitely worried that they produce will be discounted. Whereas any gra which has grown in any part of Gujarat, you know, very wide GI area within that will fetch a premium. Why are we granting GI? We are granting GI so that the producers of something, you know, which is unique, they are able to fetch a premium right when they sell, whether in the domestic market or in the world market. Right like Scott's whisky will always command a premium over regular whiskey, even if it is a single mold whiskey. Right. So, since everything ultimately has to do with valuation, you know, see, a trademark brand GI always ultimately is what it is, basically fetching you a premium. Right.
Speaker 4: But then what evidence did the unja APMC rely on to secure these GI registrations.
Speaker 3: See, they seem to have submitted a lot of data showing about gira and about sound, but these seem to be general you know, I don't know whether they have been able to establish that this Gira is very different from the gira which is being grown in Rajasthan or just the adjoining district. You know, So I think again, you know, even if they have submitted has all this data and all this information, has it been subject to third party validation?
Speaker 5: You know, and how has apm C responded to the objections.
Speaker 3: So I think the objections have been raised for the first time through Indian Express, you know, our Indian Express report, because this GI was granted sometime in March or something, you know. And then and then I think the trade in Rajasthan farmers organizations et cetera came to know about this whole thing, you know, because I think it is even publicized. I think about a month back, you know, and and I think the Gujura Chief Minister, everybody tweeted about it, you know, they talked about it. Indiancy says that the jira cultivation started in Unja only before it spread to other places, you know. And they're saying that we want the Sunjai area to again start growing jira in a big way, and one way to do it is through the GI claim, you know. And they claim that you know, now this Gunja jira will give a huge spurt in for cultivation and that farmers will and Unja will now become again also a major cultivation center. That's what they are saying.
Speaker 4: But if Rajastan produces a significant share of India's cumin and fennel, why didn't it to see the g I tag instead.
Speaker 3: Probably because they never applied for it, though I'm told that there are some people who are trying to push for Barmeir JIRA kind of a thing, you know, so since probably Barmeir is probably one of the largest growing JIRA districts in India, so I think they have been planning to apply. But I think we should be very careful about granting GIS to every single product then, you know, I think a lot of thinking should go into this thing, you know, And I think this is a test case and hopefully there will be a rethink on all these things, you know, because ultimately, you know, it is all about credibility, right.
Speaker 5: So haris what happens next?
Speaker 4: Is there a mechanism to challenge and already granted GI registration.
Speaker 5: And what should we watch for in the upcoming months.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it can be challenged in a courte of law. I'm not sure whether there is an appeal system within the GI registry, you know. From what I know, I think they published this in one of their journals and it is supposed to invite objections within a three month period, so I'm not sure whether they published it much earlier or whatever it is, you know, but whatever it is, I think they will have to invite objections and it has to be heard, so either heard by the registry itself or maybe I don't know, I was supposed to go to regular courtes, you know, whether a High court or something. Definitely any grant of whether it is a a trademark or say you can challenge it. I mean, nothing stops anyone from challenging. For example, in the case of I think some Linen or probably an inner Way company used it for their product and then a move went and challenged it, right, I mean, so I'm sure this can be challenge and I would be surprised if it is challenged. And ideally this should not become a political thing, you know, and so maybe the government of India can play a neutral role in this, you know, in trying to arbitrate between the farmers of two states. You know, it's better that it doesn't go to the courts and it becomes an unnecessary war, which ultimately, you know, they'll pre India's own reputation, right, and people will start asking questions on take, do you have a purpose system for crafting GI and this kind of a thing. So ultimately I think this is connected also with India's reputation, you know, in terms of providing intellectual property protection right and GA is nothing but an IPI. It is an intellectual property right.
Speaker 1: And in the end we talk about a proposed railway expansion through one of Central India's most important tiger landscapes, which has received in principal wildlife clearance despite concerns that it could fragment the corridor connecting the Sathpuddha and mail Card tiger reserves. The Standing Committee of the National Board for Wildlife has recommended clearance for a third railway line between Jijharpur and Chichonda in Matya Pradesh. As reported by The Indian Express is Nikil Ghannaker. The alignment will pass through two notified tiger corridors and an eco sensitive zone in the Satpurda mail Card landscape. Now, these corridors are not used by tigers alone. They allow leopards, sloth bears, herbivores and other species to move between habitats while also supporting dispersal and genetic exchange between wildlife populations. The one hundred and sixty kilometers second is part of a large proposal to add third and fourth lines along the busy Attsi Nakpur railway route. The project requires more than two hundred and six hectares of land within the notified corridor, including nearly seventy five hectares of forest land. Nickel highlights that what makes the approval significant, however, is the condition attached to it. Central Railway has proposed thirty four wildlife overpasses to help animals cross the railway alignment safely, but an inspection committee found that these locations were selected largely using information from frontline forest staff and wildlife mortality records, rather than through a detailed scientific assessment. The committee also noted that the engineering designs for these structures had not been finalized, while a broader study examining the project's landscape level impact was still awaited. The Wildlife Board has therefore said the overpasses must be reviewed and redesigned on the basis of some scientific evidence and proper engineering studies. Once the relevant data is examined, the inspection committee must revisit the project area and make final recommendations concerning the structure's location, size, design, and connectivity. So while the railway project has moved one step closer to approval, its final mitigation plan remains unsettled. Nikol notes that the central question is whether wildlife crossings added after the alignment has been approved can genuinely preserve a corridor that conservation officials themselves have described as a lifeline for the wider Satpuda page mail Guard landscape. You were listening to Three Things by the Indiet Express. Today's show was edited and mixed by Sish Pavar and produced by an Ahurakananda and me Ichasharma. If you like the show, do subscribe to us wherever you get your podcast. You can also recommend it to someone you think may like it, with a friend or in your family. This is the best way for people to get to know about us. You can also tweet us at Express podcast or write to us at podcast at Indian Express dot com.