Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H. Garden Line with Skip Richard.
Speaker 2: Basis gas.
Speaker 3: Can you want the trip you just watching as work going?
Speaker 2: Basis?
Speaker 3: Can you brats to see Britain in the bay?
Speaker 2: The basis the gas?
Speaker 3: Can you dislo back again?
Speaker 2: Not sad brasses the gay and you.
Speaker 4: So be.
Speaker 2: All right, folks stop. Welcome to garden Line. Good to have you with us on this Sunday morning. Going to be a great day out there. If you're a if you got one drop of gardening blood in you, this week ought to be really excited. I mean exciting. You got to be excited about the weeks. What I'm trying to say is early in the morning for me anyway. You know, it's kind of like if you ever listen to Footloose, you know by Kenny Loggins. If you can listen to Footloose and your foot's not tapping, you need to check your pulse because something is seriously wrong. If you're a gardener and you are not excited about the weather this week, oh my gosh, wow, it's going to be great this afternoon. Be a good time to get out to a garden center and get you some supplies, get you some things you need stop buy your you know your ace hardware stores, stop buy your feed store. We got a lot of great places here in town to get you ready to have a great spring, and that's what we're working on today. You know, products for example, like Microlife. Microlife fertilizers have been around a long time, fact for over thirty five years now. It's the number one selling organic fertilizer here in the Greater Houston area. And it's not just Greater Houston. I mean to go all the way to San Antonio, Austin place that you see Microlife for sale A long long region around here are a wide region. And the reason is it works. That's the bottom line. Microlife fertilizers are based on microbes. That's why it says micro Life microbes rule the world. They definitely keep the plants happy. Nutrients go through microbes in order to be turned into a form plants can use. That's what they do. Microlife fertilizer is designed around that it's loaded with microbes. When you purchase a product from Microlife, you're going to be getting along with it a lot of microbes.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: A couple of the products I particularly like, one of them is the Blue label. That's Ocean Harvest. The Microlife Blue label. It's a four to two three fertilizer fish based, So you want to use that out side. That's a primary place you're going to use this. It's not going to burn. You can use it as a you know, as a diluted solution for you know, starting a little seedlings or something like that. You can fold your feed with it. You can you know, drench it over a root system to give plants a boost. Another one I like is Microlife Biomatrix. That's an orange label. You can use it indoors or outdoors. These are both liquid. You can buy them in a quart or a gallon. Well, anyway you you mix it up according to the label. Again, you're not going to burn with it, but that higher nitrogen content in it really pushes leafy growth. So it's great for house plants for example, but it's good for any kind of plants anywhere you want to give plants a real quick boost to get them going. That's what I use. I basically keep the orange label near me all the time when I'm doing gardening stuff. It's right there in the shed with me, and it works. That's about that's the bottom line. That's why we use it. And you know you can get microlife again anywhere all through this region. For example, Southwest Fertilize, Southwest Fertilizer in the corner of Business and Runwick. You hear me talk about them all the time. This place has been around for seventy years. They're having their seventieth birthday this year. Now, you don't stick around seventy years if you're not doing something right, that's for sure, and treating your customers right. But you go in to Southwest Fertilizer, you're going to find microlife. You're also going to find all the full range of products you hear me talk about here on garden Line. You're going to find things to control pests, weeds, and diseases. And if you are are looking to prevent weeds or to control weeds that exists, they've got everything you need for that. If you're an organic gardener, you're not going to find a larger selection of organic supplies anywhere in Houston than right there. You're just not. It's the one stop shop. And when I say one stop shop, i'm talking about also mulch also, you know, compost and soil amendments. They're going to have azamite in there. You're going to find Nature's Way and heirloom soil resources. You're gonna find all the Medina products that you need in there. For sure. They have a nice seed selection, both the little packets and the bins where you take the little scoop and you fill your own envelope. That's the most economical way to buy seed right there. You know the tools. I can just go sit there and drool and look at the ninety foot wall of tools. Because quality brands, you know, Falco, Corona. Don't buy cheap tools. Buy tools that are quality for a reasonable price, and you will save a lot of money in the long run, plus a lot of headaches. I've thrown away a bunch of cheap tools in my life. Unfortunately, I learned long ago not to do that. Ask them to see the garden kneeling seat that I always talk about. They've got those in there as well. Just go in and check it out. I don't care where you live. You're listening to this, sometimes you need to get over there and check out Southwest Fertilizer Corner Bissinet and Runwick. You're gonna get friendly service. You're gonna get quality products, and you're going to get not just great selection, but unbelievable selection. Southwest Fertilizer dot Com six or seven to one three six one seven four four if you would like to try that, and I hope you will. In fact, I haven't been by there in over a month now. I need to get back over there. I always I always stop in to visit a Bob and see what's going on over there, because they they definitely have the things that are that are happening in my own garden. I've got some containers that are waiting for me to take care of them. Some of them are just bare because I pull the soil or the plants out from last planting, last falls planting, and they're just waiting on me to put new plants in. You notice sometimes that you have to top off containers that maybe it was full in the spring, and then by the time you get to next spring, it's like whoa, it is really sunken down in this container. That's the natural process of a gosh, you can't say oxid is oxidation. We you know, we just think of it as composting. Basically, leaves become common post composts becomes humous, and so all the way down that line, things are breaking down more and more and more, and in that oxidation process. That's good. That's nature. That's what nature does. You just need to remember to top things off a little bit and get you some good fresh material and build that back up. Whether you're using a very fine textured potting soil, whether you're using a chunkier thing and a larger container, either way you're going to have success with that. So if you haven't tried a lot of containers before, you really ought to, because it is one of the simplest, easiest ways to garden that anybody can garden. And I mean it is very, very easy, and it's beautiful too. And the nice thing about containers is no matter where you need something, you can stick a container there. I've got containers sitting out a little concrete pad in my lawn, you know, one of those disks you move around. I've got containers on driveways. I've got containers on pad. You can make beauty anywhere, and you can make beauty fast. That is the way to go. Hey, I need to take a little break. I'm going to do that right now, and I will be right back. All right, welcome back to the guard Line. Glad to have you with us today. Looking forward to talking to you about the kinds of things that you are wondering about. Whatever, whatever the topic is, we're here to help. And you know what I wanted to This is the time of year where I make it's a gardening bug. I understand that spring is the time, the main time people feel that way. I wish people felt that way and fall more they do in fall, but I fall out to be equal or greater than spring when it comes to gardening excitement. But anyway, spring is the time. And if you have been looking at your place and you just don't like the look of it, and you're thinking, you know what, I don't have the skill, I don't know how to design. I don't want to do the work you need to call Piercescapes because they do all the above and more. There are preferred landscaper for a reason because when they come in, they change things and they make them beautiful. They do really good work there. They a lot of their employees hold you know, distinguish landscape, irrigation, drainage, backflow, pesticide certifications, licenses, I mean, these are quality trained staff. They have designers who know how to design something beautiful, whether it's a whole landscape design or a portion of the landscape. If you need irrigation, you know, repair and getting it working right, lighting, drainage, whatever it is, they can do it. And hard scapes, oh my gosh, they're so good at that as well. You need to go to the website piercescapes dot com piercescapes dot com, and I tell you what, go there and look at the pictures. If you want to give them a call, it's two eight one three, seven fifty sixty. But just go there, check out, look at examples of the work they do. Get an idea for what I'm talking about and you'll see it. You'll go, oh my gosh, I never even thought about lighting like that. For that, that is stunning. They can do that and give them a call. Go buy there, check it out, sit down with them, you know, take some pictures. Just talk to them first. They'll tell you what they need you to do, and when they get through with your place, it will be amazing. It's turkey. They know their work.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm a I'm a horticulturist, but I'm not a designer, and so I'm a plant person. I'm a I somewhat jokingly refer to us as plant collectors. Those people like me. Now, how do you know a plant collector versus a designer? Well, a designer, the place looks beautiful. You drive by, you may not even care about plants, and it's pretty. It's beautiful. A plant collector, our place looks like a bomb went off in a garden center and everything rooted where it landed, and that's our landscape. It's just that's a little harsh. But we go somewhere, we say I want that plant without a thought of where is it going to go? Is it part of a place?
Speaker 5: Land?
Speaker 2: And I want that plant? And then we walk around trying to find someplace to squeeze it in or pull something else out to put it in. And that is not a good way. That is not a good way to go about designing your landscape. You may be you may also be a plant collector like me. So anyway, if that makes sense, I guess you get it. Have you ever been to Spring Creek feed Supply that's out there in the Magnolia direction area from Tomball. It's really close to Grand park Way and two forty nine both Spring Creek Feed Center is a place where you walk in and number one, it's impressive. It's just a it's a gorgeous, beautiful place. So much product inside, so many different kinds of things, not just feed, not just feed, of course, they have feed quality feed for your pets, for your farm and ranch and whatnot. They have friendly folks, friendly folks that greet you, take care of you. They make sure that you get what you need. They get your hands on that product. If you're a backyard chicken person and you just love backyard chickens, well they're going to have all the supplies that you need now Spring Creek Feed. If you want to get a call, here's the number. Two eight one two five two five four zero zero two eight one two five two five four zero zero. They are on FM twenty nine seventy eight again, FM twenty nine seventy eight, just minutes away from Graham Parkway and Highway two forty nine Combat Parkway. They call that one. I love going into feed stores. I love the smell of feed stores.
Speaker 6: I just do.
Speaker 2: I grew up when I was a kid, you know, toddled in with my my dad to feed store and you know, to buy things for the farm, and it just I don't know, it's just a nice, familiar, old fragrance. You know. Fragrances, They they last someone can I'm going off topic here, but someone can be struggling in a lot of ways mentally, and you bring in a certain and smell, maybe a fresh baked cookie smell, and suddenly they go back eighty years to Grandma making them one or something. You know, it's a it's a cool thing the way fragrances work for us. Well, we're gonna go out to the phones and talk to Tim. Hey, Tim, where is braskin State Park? Or where are you? All right? Tim, I'm not able to hear you. Let's see if I'm gonna put you back on hold there hopefully hopefully there we go. All right, now we got Tim? Hey, Tim, Hey, how are you doing this morning? I'm good? Where are you located? Oh?
Speaker 7: I'm out here by the brides Fork?
Speaker 2: I got you? All right? What can how can we help today?
Speaker 7: I have a bailey bush and I have these black spots on the leaves, and then the leaves eventually start turning brown and fall off.
Speaker 2: All right, is this U Is this the native red bay or is this the culinary bay that you use for cooking one for cooking? Okay, all right? That that blackening of the leaves is typical when things go wrong on that plant. It could be different things. It could be a root problem such as soggy wet conditions, or it could be due to even droughty conditions can but that usually doesn't turn the leaves black. Another possibility is some cold damage. We've had some good cold snaps, and that is not a fully cold hardy tree. And although it can take some cold, if we're having warm weather and then cold hits, it makes that less hardy and you would get damage at a temperature you wouldn't have expected to get damage at. Okay, So go ahead.
Speaker 7: When I bought it from Danny in Channa Garden or forest, whichever, that one is overall in booths twenty fifty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's intended for us.
Speaker 7: Yeah, chen forest, that's.
Speaker 8: What it is.
Speaker 7: And then I took a leaf back and they give me a like a three. She said it was like a spot, a black spot, mold or something. Okay, and she give me a h like an insistence a face the side, fung your side, all that kind of mixed together and once spray, okay, and I've been spraying it once well one, I was supposed to pray once a week.
Speaker 2: I kind of get around there, you know, best I can.
Speaker 7: And it's still not taking care of it. That's been two to three.
Speaker 2: Months, so it's not getting better. You're saying, well, no, sir, I don't have the leaves in my hand, and they did. They may have seen city mold on it. Is it? Is it something that's on the surface of the leaf that's black, like if you wet your thumb and rubbed it over the leaf and go away, or is it the whole leaf itself is actually black.
Speaker 7: No, it's just spots on it, and I really haven't tried to wipe it off.
Speaker 9: With my thumb.
Speaker 2: But okay, that is probably cudy mold due to some type of scale. And these scales suck juices out of the plant. They get the nutrients out of the juice, and they basically excrete the sugary substances because they don't need the sugar in it, and then it falls on leaves and citimoe grows on sugary stuff, and so that that's why you have those spots controlling scale. You can use dormant oils, you can use summer oils rather spraying upward. But on a bay tree, there's so many leaves and they're so stiff that it's kind of hard to get one hundred percent coverage of the undersides of all the leaves. But if you could achieve that oil would work. Other than oil, you're left with a systemic that you put in the soil and goes up in the plant, and then anything sucking juice out of the plant gets that systemic insecticide. So are those are the two ways to go about it. I don't know if bay trees are on the list of of plants on those particular products or not. I did just have to grab one and look. But if you go, if you go to enchanted forest and tell them you're looking for a systemic insecticide to use in your bay tree, they can put your hands put your hands on one, and I would try that route. If you turn some leaves over and under the leaves, you see little tiny it's like fish scales, but they're tiny. They're smaller than a lowercase typed. Oh, they're real tiny, little kind of yellow shark truse green kind of things sticking to the bottom of the leaf. That that's what the scale probably looks like. There are several types of scale though.
Speaker 7: Okay, but I appreciate I'll send some back. Go over there and check with them one more time.
Speaker 2: Then all right, you take care. Why are you over there? Grab some tomato plants. They got some good ones. All right, all right, thanks a lot, appreciate that call. There you go. All right, Well, you're listening to garden Line and I'm your host, skip Rick or We're to answer your gardening questions to help you have success. That is what we're trying to do. That is what we're looking for. Hey, you know, Ace hardware stores are a place where pretty much everything you need inside now they've got it. I mean, of course they're a hardware store. You know, they got everything from lights, so electricity, to plumbing, you name it. But their outdoor section is just amazing. The wide range of fertilizers, products to control pests, the tools that you need to work outside, they're all there. And if you're fixing up the patio, you know, we need those little strings of lights. I call them beer garden lights. That's kind of what they look like. They've got stuff like that. Of course they've got barbecue pits. Don't even get me started. I can talk about that for an hour. Their selection of top quality lines is unbelievable, very important, very important for sure. The thing that I'm interested in right now that has been going on on at ACE is all their storage and spring cleaning types of supplies. If you can dream it up, they've got it there. Because I've been redoing my garage. Oh my gosh. You know garages where junk goes to just pile up. You get it clean, and next thing you know, it's junkie again. Well, you need shelving, you need bins, you know, bins to store stuff in, You need cleaning supply. They have it all at ACE. Walk into an AM. Let me just ask you to do this next time you get a chance, walk into an ACE. You can find your local A store by going to ACE Hardwaretexas dot com Ace Hardwaretexas dot Com and walk into one and just walk around a little bit and check it out. I mean you may walk on. You know, each one's independent. They so each owner can do what they want to do in their store. I mean, it's still all ACE. It looks like ACE. It is ACE, of course, but one may have You may walk up to a fudge bar in one who knew at a hardware store you can get a fudge bar. Well, ACE is way more than just hardware Ace Hardware Texas. I'm coming up on another hard break here. I am going to be talking when I come back a little bit about herb gardens and herb gardening, maybe growing herbs without an herb garden. So just hang around and we'll be back with your calls in just a moment. I want to remind you my website, Gardening with Skip dot com is where all the schedules are, and when you hear me talk about a publication, it's going to be there. All right. Welcome back to garden Line. Got a little mix up mix in the music there, somebody. Yesterday I was out at the Home and Garden show up in Montgomery County up in Conroe at the Lune Star Center up on Airport Road. By the way, they're going on today. Still, if you didn't get out there yesterday, you ought to go on. It was this great show. The master gardener's from Montgomery County were out there answering gardening questions and things. You got to get out there and check it out. Anyway, somebody told me it came by and I get this every now and then they say, I appreciate the fact that you play a lot of weird music. I think what they meant. I think what they meant as a mix of music. But anyway, I hear that from time time people like that. You never know what's going to come on. That's true. We even have yodling chickens here occasionally when we need to. Don't make me have to pull out barbershop, I will, I promise anyway. Hey, in Chenity Gardens down in the Richmond Rosenberg area is one of the destination nurseries that people go to from all over. I've said this before, but I was there one time and someone from Austin was there. What are you doing visit? No, we just came. They didn't come visit family. They were just over there because they love in Jenny Gardens. So they actually made that up to go there. That's pretty cool, but that's kind of nursery it is. If you want to go to their website, I would write this down. You know, a lot of times I give here's their dress. Here's a phone number. If you used to go to the website, it's all right there Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. In chenned Gardens Richmond dot com you can sign up for the newsletter. That's great. You lot of good information on that that you will want to have. They're on FM three fifty nine on the Katie fullsher side of Richmond. So if you're in Richmond heading up Northway FM three fifty nine, you can get there and it's an unforgettable place to visit. And I'm telling you this. They have a very enthusiastic team. Yah. You can bring in photos or samples to get expert advice from them. Their knowledge of the plants is extensive, and so when you start talking about well I try to plant there and it didn't work that, they can probably tell you, well, it's because this or that want you this other one. You know, maybe it's drought resistance, maybe it's shade, maybe who knows why, but they can point you to the plants that you have success with. And while you're there, you can do the brown stuff before green stuff thing. Because they have Nature's way, they have airloom soils They have fertilizer from Microlife, Nelson Plant Food, and Menina, so you can take the take care of the whole thing to have success with your plants. And it's a fun place to visit. That's in Chenni Gardens Katie Fosher Side of Richmond in Chenni Gardens Richmond dot com. If you would like to give me a call our phone number, it would help if I gave you that out, wouldn't it seven to one three two one two ktr H seven one three two one two kt r H. Whatever you want to visit about today, I said I was going to visit about herbs, and I want to talk a little bit about herbs. There are traditional formal herb gardens and you see those, you know it may see a big estate with this beautiful thing that's all geometric and it's got circles and angles and it's you know what is the mirror images from left to right or up and down or whatever. It's just all designed beautifully. Okay, you can do that, that's fine. You can do that. But if you just have a normal landscape and you don't want to put in an herb garden, why not use herbs in your landscape. Here's some ways you can do it. Containers. Herbs are great for containers. You could have a container that you're growing flowers in, but you could have time spilling over the side of that container. See what I mean. You can grow mint in a container too, and that helps confine it. Because mint likes to take off running. It can outrun bermuda grass, that's for sure. So don't just turn it loose in your gardens. It'll take over. But mint is great for in a container. What about rosemary. Rosemary is an evergreen shrub that is adequately cold tolerant for our area. It is very drought tolerant, and as long as you don't have it in soggy, wet roots over the wintertime or anytime, it's going to perform well for you. It doesn't like to be in a swamp. But rosemary is incredible. Years ago, I remember we went through a drought. I can't remember, it's a long time ago, and the master gardeners up in North somewhere in North Texas, they went through town and they did it as assessment of all the plants. What survived, what didn't you know? That kind of thing. Rosemary was the very top of the list as a plant that made it through that drought, So that's pretty impressive. Plus it has flowers, especially the trailing kinds of rosemary that attract bees in and that is also very cool. So I'll keep talking about herbs here in just a little bit, but I'm pretty excited about using plants where we want to use them. You know, if you want a cut flower, you don't have to have a cut flower garden. You can put some zenias among whatever you got going. I mean, it comes down to aesthetics and what you like, but don't feel like, you know, have to have a vegetable garden over there, and a flower garden over there, and an herb garden over there. I grow several kinds of flowers and vegetable gardens because they attract beneficial insects and I need them to patrol the garden for me. Well, when it comes to an organic plant food, nitroposs has really done their homework and the product that they came up with after many years of research is called sweet Green organic plant food. Now what that is sweet green It reacts with water. It has a unique level of organic compounds in it that as the microbes break it down and they love it because they like carbon materials, and it's a molasses space is a carbon material. It just the soil comes alive. There's revitalization there when microbes get busy, and when microbes get happy, the soil gets better and plants get happy. That's how it works. So it increases the health of the soil by increasing the population of beneficial microbes, and you just get the optimum health and performance out of It's eleven percent nitrogen, one of the highest rates of nitrogen any organic you're gonna find anywhere in the country. And it works, sweet green, smells wonderfully, and you're going to find it at Ace excuse me, Ace Hardwall, of course, Ace hardware source. But you're going to find it all kinds of places all over this area of the state. For example, Baytown Fisher's Hardware, Plants and things in Brenham Lake Hardware, both the one include and the one in Angleton. Those are all places that carry nitroposs products. Let's see our phone number seven one three two one two k t R H. If you'd like to give me a call on this good Sunday morning. I hope you're awake and doing good son's about to come out. But if you look next door and your neighbor's lights aren't on, go bang on the door. Tell them they're missing guarden line, and they will rise up on this beautiful Sunday morning and call you blessed, or they may call you something else actually, but in the long term they will appreciate it. Okay, I shouldn't say I just get a kick out of that. Someone said, you know, when the kids on me one time, Dad, your jokes aren't funny. I said, yes, but they're funny to me, and so I don't care if they're funny to you or not. That's called a dead joke because it's the cause of more rolling eyes than any other thing on. Best Brothers is a pest control company here in the Greater Houston area. Serves a whole Greater Houston area all the way from up to the Woodlands down to Texas City, from Baytown to Katie. They control pests. What is your pest? Is it rats and mice? Runner around inside? Or outside? They can do that. Is it mosquitos outside? Is it fire ants outside? They've got some very innovative ways to get to get ahead of those I was talking about their bait buckets that have like a disease of mosquitos. The mosquitoes come in there and they pick it up, and it's it's just all exciting stuff, you know. If you feel like mosquitos about mosquitos, like I do, get pretty excited about that. Anyway, you can contact them for a quote at two eight one two oh six forty six seventy talk to them about a termite check and the kinds of ways they can control termites longer term. And they have some ways of doing that. If you're dealing with household pasts like cockroaches, for example, Oh my gosh, there they got that hands down. They know what they're doing. At the Press Brothers, it's the pestbros dot com. The pest Bros b r os dot com two eight one two oh six forty six seventy. All right, I'm gonna take a little break here and I'll be right back with your calls at seven one three two one two kt r H. Alrighty, good Sunday morning. If you will look in the eastern sky, there is a glow over there that is saying this is gonna be a good day. It's always you do It's always a good day for gardeners.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: And you're thinking, oh yeah, what if it's like twenty degrees outside and haling and the winds blowing seventy miles an hour. You take care of your house plants, you plant seeds to start for planting outside. Later, you get online and you learn about gardening. It's always a good day for garden But this day is gonna be a good day to be outside. You know, if you've been here in Houston for one year, you know what summer's like, and it's a challenge. We still can garden in summer. We just work earlier in the day, maybe later in the day. But wow, now, no excuse, I mean, you know, this is it. And spring is such an important season to get things ready. Got to get the soil ready.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 2: You know, a lot of times we think of fertilizing is feeding plants. And I understand that. I understand the concept of I'm putting these nutrients down, plants are going to take them up, so I'm feeding my plants. But I want you to think of it a little different way, and that is the soil being a bank account and fertilizer being deposits in the bank account, and the plants they go to the ATM and they make withdrawals. But it's not just the same thing money money money, it's all the different nutrients that they need. And azemite is a product for trace minerals. Trace minerals. These are minerals that are absolutely essential. A plant cannot grow without any of the essential trace minerals. And there's a lot of them, okay, but they're not needed in large amounts, so we put out just a little. So they're essential, but we don't need a lot of them, you know, kind of like us and maybe vitamin D. You need some, but take too much and you're in big trouble. Right. Azamite is that trace mental supplement. You put it down any time of the year. You can put it down now. We're getting into the spring fertilization season, so you could put it down now. That's fine. In fact I would. But if you're in the middle of summer and you didn't do an azemite in the spring, go ahead and do it. It's okay to do it. And it's not a substance that pushes the plant to grow like nitrogen does. It's a substance that is there for building. Everything a plant needs, from healthy leaves to fruit, to flowers to roots to stems, everything it needs is in the minerals that are in the soil bank account. Go to azimite Texas dot com to find out you're gonna find azamite all over the place. They've got it at garden centers, they have it, at feed stores. You're going to find it in play like ace hardwaster. You're gonna find it a Southwest. There's just a lot of places they carry asamite because they know it works. People know it works. Let's see, I was looking at I've got I have a place where I keep my fertilizers right and keep them somewhat cool and dry. I don't like them to be eight hundred degrees, which gets to be that in the summer sometimes. And so I was looking through there and just kind of making my plans for spring fertilization. Say what am I short on? What do I need to purchase and those kind of things, making sure we have everything we need. And I think it'd be a good idea for you to take that kind of assessment if you go on line to gardening with skip dot com. You can find my lawn care schedule and my lawn pest Disease and weed management schedule. They're free, they're multi colored. They go from January through December telling you what you need to do when and the products that are best for that particular thing that particular time. Okay, and so if you will do that, check it out, and then as you're out and about shopping, take it with you, because then you can kind of point in and go, do you have any of this this particular thing, And that way you don't have to remember what it is and they can put that in your hands. I love going to the Anti Grozenport. That is a must visit destination.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you how many times I've been there, and I've gone out there before when I wasn't even looking for a particular rose or plant. I was just wanting to enjoy the place and take pictures. Of course, when you do that, you end up going home with plants because they have so many. Their nursery and display garden is gorgeous. Now, I want to tell you about some events coming up right now, by the way, Spring Events Spring Garden Party March seventh, at six pm times ticking. We're almost there. You need to check it out. You can go to get tickets. This is a ticketed event because you're going to get a really nice meal. There's going to be craft beer and mead from Wildlife, Wildflyer meter meter excuse me up there courtin Annesota and Kathy Bolton will also be there providing some music and there's more. But anyway, go to Antique Roseemporium dot com. But you got to get those tickets today. Today is the last day to grab those tickets. Antique Roseemporium dot com also for today. The next two days of the Spring Deal is the annual Spring Celebration March eighth and ninth, full weekend event, lots of good speakers, there's hands on ticketed workshops. There's gonna be artists and vendor market and they have some really cool stuff there, food trucks and of course roses and roses and roses and plants of all types galore, which is what you expect at the antiqu Roseenbrium. Finally, the Spring Break Workshop March tenth through thirteenth, that is part of their Children in the Garden program and basically it's a hands on workshop that starts each of those days March ten through thirteenth at ten am, and you get those tickets also on the website. Everything's on the website. If you are a group and you'd like to go out and check out Antique rosen Poium, I highly recommend you do that. You can email them at events at we Areroses dot com for more information. Antique Roseemporium is the website dot com and all that you need is right there talking about soil and the importance of soil and getting things right. You're not going to find a better place than Nature's Way Resources for a wide variety of every kind of soil that you might need. Maybe you're going to put in some blueberries, maybe you're going to put in some azaleas or camellias, and you need a soil for acid loving plants. Well, Nature's Way Resources they've got it. They've got it right there. They have an excellent supply of all all kinds of things. They have a thing called fungal based compost. It's a high quality compost that is on sale every Friday, high quality organic product. Ten percent off the bags every Friday and twenty percent off bulk you can say get a bulk delivery. People use it for a compost op dressing too. That's Nature's Way Resources dot Com. Nine three six two seven three twelve hundred nine three six two seven three twelve hundred. And while you are going to the website Nature's Way Resources dot Com, check out the Spring Garden Festival that's March twenty second, from eight am to two pm. They're gonna have plant sales. Of course, they're gonna have food and drinks and vendors. There'll be talks, three different hour talks on plants, nine eleven and one pm. Costs nothing to get in and you will enjoy yourself. I've been to it more than once and it is a blast. Now Nature's weighs up. You go up forty five to Conroe, when fourteen eighty eight comes in from the left, go to Magnolia. You turn right and go across the railroad tracks and you're there. Well, let's see. Oh herbs. I keep saying I'm gonna talk about something, then I drift off and talk about something else. I like to use herbs in my vegetable garden. I will put herbs that have flowers on them in the vegetable garden because that attracts a little small, tiny parasitoid wasps and other beneficial insects like lace wings need little flowers for the adults to get to get nourishment. I will use a trailing herb. I've used a regano. In fact, I had a row that had tomatoes and oregano and basil in it in the same row. So guess what. You walk one row and you've made a whole dish right there. You're all set up to make some sauce or something, pesto or whatever. And I like using herbs and vegetable guards. They work really really well for that. And so if you don't have room, you don't want to make a big formal garden, you still want to do herbs. There are herbs that are good in the landscape. Chives make a nice little like a it's almost like a little a riopy row, you know, along a sidewalk or something like that. Salad burnett has little leaves that taste like cucumbers, and it makes a tiny, tiny it makes about a one foot high mounting plant. It's not an herb you see a lot, but the leaves taste like cucumbers. Throw them in a salad and it's like putting cucumbers in the salad, and that's a cool herb. There's just so many There's so many good herbs that we can use in our garden. Some of them flower like Mexican mint marigold flowers in the fall, with beautiful yellow flowers. It is a substitute for terragun. It makes a nice little upright herb. I love the smell of the leaves that if you've ever smelled black jelly beans, that's what Mexican marigoldiaves smell like. I think that's cool. Anyway, I already told you about rosemary. Rosemary for trailing like a coming over a large container, or maybe as a groundcover and a very sunny. Are lots of good options here for herbs. Think of other ways to use them containers in the flower garden, in the vegetable garden, in the landscape, and even in hanging baskets. Some herbs are suited to that as well.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: The music means I got to quit talking. Guess what is going to happen next Saturday. I'm going to go out to Hoorges Hidden Gardens in Alvin south of Houston Orges Hidden Gardens. You hear me talk about it all the time. Come on out, Come on out and see me out there. I'm going to tell you more about it as we go through the show this morning, but I'll be there from one pm to three pm, so it's a Saturday afternoon thing. I'll be answering gardening questions. We'll have some plants there. You know. I can explain how to do this or that or the other with plants. As always at these appearances, you want to bring me a sample of a plant or a picture of a plant. We did some of those yesterday up at the Montgomery County Home Show. Here's your chance, and we spent a lot of time visiting about it. We'll have some product. Getaway it's too ballway next Saturday or hey Kidden Gardens.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H. Garden Line with Skip Richard's.
Speaker 3: Shoes, crazy gas trim, just watching as well, go.
Speaker 10: Us.
Speaker 2: So many good things to supp brazy.
Speaker 3: Gas, A sorry sun beam and down.
Speaker 2: All right, we're back. Welcome back to Garden Line. I can see outside now, you know I I tell you this often, but you can listen to garden Line on the radio because it's a radio show. But you can also take your phone, put iHeart Media app on it. Fine garden line. There's only two guarden lines in the whole country. When I'm some lady somewhere else, I don't even know where that is. Anyway, find a garden line, the guard line, and turn that phone in your pocket and go outside and get some work done. This morning. We got weeds to pull, got soil to work, and who knows. When the sun comes up a little bit more, you may see a picture, or see a bug or something, take a picture of Call my producer. You can email it to me and we have live from your garden and answer to your question. So you can't beat that, right. Tree hugger sprinklers are the ultimate watering device for either newly planted or established trees and shrubs. So maybe you put a rosebush in this February, you can get you the smaller tree hugger. It's a seven inch and it goes around that rose bush. You turn on the water just a little bit and it waters that root ball and just beyond that. Now, as plants get bigger, you just turn the tree hugger up more. I mean you could have. You could have a seven ten year old tree and you put that fifteen inch tree hugger around it and turn it on and crank it all the way out where it's going all the way to the branch spread of the tree. And this summer when we go through heat and drought, you can do rescue treatments of your tree that way. You don't have to run the water and everywhere. You can take care of that tree that way. Rosarians love the product because it works. Now you're gonna find tree Hugger at a lot of places. They got it at the arbor Gate. You're gonna find it at Nelson Water Garden and Nursery out there in Katie RCW has it, Warrens and Southern Garden and Kingwood Gardens Center in Kingwood, in Chanted Gardens and in Channa Forests down there in Richmond, Rosenberg D and D Feed and Tomball Spring Creek Feed up just north and east of Tomball, a League City Feed down in League City Southwest Fertilizer. And then how about here's some ACE Hardware store Sinkle Ranch as Katie, ace K and m Ace and a test Asita, a test Asda and full Share Ace hardware all places you can get a tree hugger, and listen, you're gonna have many uses for this. It's not it's called tree hugger, but it could be called shrub hugger. Or two. It's for all sizes of woody ornamentals, helping rescue them, but especially also helping them get off to a good start those first months after a plant is planted or critical to its survival. I'm gonna go out to Katie now and talk to Greg. Hey, Greg, welcome to garden line. All right, let me try one more than Greg. Are you there? All right? All right? All right, well we're having a little glad here. We'll fix that. We'll get Katie or get Greg here from Katie in just one second. You know the you've heard me talk about plants for all seasons a number of times. It's the garden Center up there on FM two forty nine, which is Tomball Parkway. So let me see here. It's we're trying to fix this audio problem right here. Anyway. It is the garden Center at two forty nine just north of Loo Okay, so right now you should see the police. It is loaded with herbs and vegetables and flowers and everything. I mean, it looks like spring there, and spring means everything. I don't know how they fit everything in on the lot because there's so many great plants that they get in there. But they have expert advice and you know, yes they have good plants. Yes, they know which plants to sell here and not sell here, and they sell the ones that grow here because their gardeners have been doing best for all seasons, been around since the nineteen seventies. All right, So anyway you go in there. But the most important thing I think in a garden center is you get people who know what they're talking about, that can guide you, that can help you to you know, take the time to explain things, listen to your questions, look at your sample problems, and then help you find the solution that, as they say, is worth the price of admission. That is so important to have a garden center like that, And that is exactly the kind of garden center Plants for All Seasons says, you will find everything you need. Check out the new Indoor store where they have really high quality pruning tools. They've got seeds and you know, when you're looking for potatoes and planting onions and stuff. That's all. Stuff's always in the store there too. Well, let's run out now to We're gonna go to Katie and talk to Greg. Hey, Greg, is it working this time? My bad? There we go. We're having to go the back We're having to go through the back door today, Greg. And so I think I finally got you on how are we doing?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great?
Speaker 11: Thanks?
Speaker 12: Quick question for you. I recently bought a really nice Washington Nabel. You know, it's either a five or ten gallon.
Speaker 4: Tree.
Speaker 12: And two quick questions on planning it. Number one, should you go ahead and soak the the after you take it out of the container. Soak it in like super thrive or a root stimulator before planning it. And then secondly, I've read different things about whether or not you should use fertilizer on it the first year. Okay, your thoughts on few of those?
Speaker 2: You bet? Number one, put it in the sun. Number two, mix a large area. Mix some compost in the soil if you can, or get a bed mix or something. But mix it in a little bit, not just the planning hole at all. It's got to be large because those roots are going to be way out Secondly, when you put it in the ground, set it at the exact same level that it was in the container, not deeper. Uh, And don't dig the hole deeper because if you dig, like let's say you have a one foot deep root ball and you dig a two foot deep hole, that is going to settle and it's going to end up too deep. So I dig it just as deep as a root ball, set it in there, and then I would get some Medina has to grow six twelve six. Okay, that is a liquid. It's got the twelve percent phosphorus, which is important for root development, but it's got a a all the six percent nitrogen and six percent potassium too. It has medina sill activat around. It's going to stimulate the biological activity. I would drench it, drench it. You could soak the root ball before you put it in the ground if you want to, that's fine, But then after you plant it, I would make sure one way or another you're giving it medina that day, But then a week later medina has to grow six twelve six, and then a week after that medina has to grow six So three times you're giving it a drenching to do everything you can to stimulate the root growth and development, healthy development of that plant. And then after that going on in the season, Yes, you can fertilize it, and you should. You don't need to put a lot, but a small amount gradually over time, you know that root system. However wide that container is, the roots are going to be only in that area for a while. And then as we get a few months down the line, you got roots that are going out a little wider and then a little wider, and so so you just want to be careful not to dump a bunch of salt based fertilizer right on top of those roots in the container, because you can burn them that way. Just put a light application and continue to move it out as far as the branch spread, or a little beyond the branch spread.
Speaker 12: Okay, And then you know, I've also read that even though it's hard to resist, supposedly the first year, you're not supposed to allow it to fruit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Correct, Actually, you know, if you were doing it commercially, it'd be two or three years. You know that you would be trying to hold off so you could grow a big tree and the energy doesn't all go into that fruit. But yes, Hey, I've got about fifteen seconds before I have to go to break. But if you can pull that fruit off, it's hard to do, but if you can do it at least the first year or two, that would be better. Maybe the second year, leave yourself a fruit or two just to taste. All right, man, thank you, Thank you, Greg, appreciate your call. M All right, folks, we'll be right back. All right, we're back. Welcome back to the Guarden Line. Glad to have you with us today. We're gonna go straight to the phones and talk to Sean and Katie and I have to not pick up that call. It a different way, all right.
Speaker 4: Sean, Hey, good morning, Skip. Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Yes, I can hear you. Call.
Speaker 4: I got a quick question, and so I got a Saan on this team full of weeds.
Speaker 13: And I bought microfoss barricade and weed donator by turf Star.
Speaker 2: I just had a question.
Speaker 4: Can I put both of them down?
Speaker 2: If I can?
Speaker 4: Doesn't matter in which order.
Speaker 2: No, what you what you would do if you if you were gonna do that, hold on to the weed nator for another time. Uh. And with the barricade you could get that Nitropos has a blue bag. That is it says it has trimac in it, it's it's a weed, it's a it's a it's a weed and feed. It has both in it. But this is one time of the year when that is very appropriate to have the two together. Normally sometime with things the timing it right, but the blue bag and then you would put it on with the barricade. So that's two nitro fash products. The barricade prevents the weeds that are on their way. The the blue bag, the fifteen to five ten with trimec is is going to kill the weeds that are there now, but you have to wet the weed first before you put the fertilizer down. Now, later when you when you're gonna use your Nelson Weedenator, because you're gonna have it on hand, you can do that in the in the fall if you want, you're gonna you are gonna also wet the weeds before you put that down so you could use it. The weedinator is killing existing weeds, and the barricade is stopping the weeds that are coming. And both the nitroposs blue bag and the weed nator work in a similar way. They fertilize and they kill the existing weeds. So you can use either one now or later. It doesn't matter either way you want to go. Okay, all right, thank you, You bet appreciate that call. All right, yeah, let me tell you another nightfoss product is there? Imperial, the Imperial fifteen five to ten. That is a reddish orange bag, reddish orange, and it is strictly fertilizer, and it is strictly a fast release fertilizer and it's used. We were using it this time of year for an early green up. If you put it down, the lawns warming up, it's starting to kind of wake up a little bit, and you get some nutrient down there, especially the nitrogen. You're going to get that green up from it. It's been around for nearly a half century now because it works. The fifteen five to ten. The three one to two ratio is a standard ratio used throughout the South for lawns because research at universities on turf have found though that's the ratio that lins typically need, you know, so in absence of a soil test, you go with a three one two ratio, unless the soil tests were to tell you something different. But you're you're not going to go wrong with a fifteen to five to ten like product like that. Now you're going to find nitoposs products all over town. They're available, I say all over town, all over the listening area. For example, Dan and Alvin Stanton shopping Center, M and D. There's an M and D and Sagemont on Beamer. It's called Beamer.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: There is a M and D in clear Lake on Bay Area bay Area Boulevard. Getting tongue tied here, and how about one of the Fishers hardwarees. There's one in Pasadena on Southomore, one in Laporte on Broadway one in Mount Bellevue on FM thirty one eighty. All places that carry Nita Fross products. You were listening to garden Line. The phone numbers seven one three two one two kt r H seven to one three two one two kt r H. Give us a call. We'll talk about the things that are most of interest to you. If you've never grown cetrus before, you really ought to grow it. Citrus is just it's just a wonderful plant. First of all, it's an evergreen. So you know where you would want an evergreen job? Well, put a citrus in right, because it's evergreen. It is a plant we plant for its wonderful fruit, whether it's lemons or limes, or satsuma oranges or regular oranges, whatever you're gonna plant. The fruit is wonderful. But the blooms. If you don't even care about citrus fruit, it's worth growing for the blooms. The blooms are heavenly scented. I always like to try to plant things where I will smell the fragrance. Okay, So like typically in summertimes you kind of have a southwesterly wind. You just figure out it's your house which which direction. Maybe you have something on both sides of the patio, but that way, when you're sitting there, when some things in bloom, you just enjoy it. And we have so many great scented plants, and Centrius is definitely one. But I would encourage you to do that. You know, as we're getting here, we're right, depending on where in the listening area you are, we're kind of on the verge of passing that last average prostate. And so you know, if you're done in Galveston, that comes much earlier than if you're up in Huntsville, for example. But the bottom line is once we kind of get past the worry about frost or freeze, then we go ahead and put our citrus in and that way you are sure that you have no damage occurring to it. Now, you could have planted citrus in February been ready to cover it up if we had a hard freeze, but I just like to make it a little easier on myself, and I wait till it warms up because that's when citrus wants to grow anyway. So but get them now, because supplies don't always last. You know, some of the rarer things or the more popular things, they may be gone when you go get them later. So that's just a little tip there. And our garden centers here I have a wonderful selection of centrus plants, just so many types and it's just great. So if you haven't had a citrus, you need to do it now. If you're going to do one in a and it needs to be in a container, then it could be a mier lemon meer lemon that gets to be a bigger plant, but you can keep it in a container with some pruning, and it needs to be a very large container. So think about a half whiskey barrel. Now, I wouldn't put it in a wooden whiskey barrel because wood rots over time, and whiskey barrels aren't made to be rot proof. But that volume of soil, I guess you could do a whiskey barrel if you lined it with plastic and punch some holes in the bottom. Maybe I don't know anyway, but that volume of soil that would also be good for a lime tree. There's several types of lime, a Mexican lime, key lime, you know, there's a lot of different kinds of limes that can grow. I'm going to have I'm putting two citrus on my patio in containers this spring. I've already started getting my plants and getting ready to go, and so I'll also have some going in the ground, kind of do a little mini citrus planting orchard this year. Looking forward to that. But anyway, now's the time, get out there, get your selection, just take care of it. I know, I had to drive out of town for a couple days the other day and I got a large like a washtub, and I set all my little citrus plants in it, and I put about two inches of water in the bottom and that's my babysitter until I get back, making sure they don't dry out while I'm gone out there to water them each day. So that's just a little tip too, so you don't do that. South of Houston is Sienna Moultch. Siennamultch is the go to place for the brown stuff for the foundation for setting plants up for success. They have the moltch, they have the blends, the bed mixes like Veggie nerd mix, just being an example of one of many. They have the mulches to go on top of the ground. They have the nutrients to go in the ground. So if you go to Siena, you're gonna find days Mite was talking about that earlier. They got it there. You're gonna find products from mairloom soils too, like their vegione or mixed. They're gonna have fertilizers from Medina, from nitrofoss from Nelson, and they also not just the Nelson turf Star, but they also carry the plant fuud jars that Nelson has and then Microlife too. You're gonna find there at Ciena Mulch. They are on Highway six or near Highway six and two eighty eight. They're actually on FM five twenty one. But let's just do it this way. Go to the website. Everything you need to know is there Sienna Maltz dot com, Cienamultch dot com. And they also deliver within twenty miles for a small fee, so you can go pick it up or you can have them deliver it if you're within twenty miles of their location. I always like going in there. It's just it's one of the friendliest places you're gonna go. They the way they greet you, the you know, the products they have are excellent and a lot of people have learned that over the years that that that is the place to go get your stuff. If you're doing a container of soil. Night Fuss has a product called jungle Land. Jungle Land is for containers so indoors. There's a jungle Land that has water saving crystals. Now, these crystals, when they're dry or just like a little hard I don't know, rock candy or something maybe smaller than that, they're very tiny, uh, but when they get wet, they swell up and they really hold that water. So when you forget okay, I know, you don't forget. When your friends and family forget, then those crystals help contain that or help supply that plant for a little bit longer to keep him from going into drought stress until your friends are family. Remember to water their plant. Okay, Now, I won't admit on the air that sometimes I forget to water my plants, but I do jungle Land water saving potting soil for your indoor plants. Just remember that that will get you out of some trouble and the plants will love it too. By the way, they have a jungle land outdoor called jungle Land Flour Vegetable Planting soil too. You can also use that one. And where do you find it? Well, where they sell nitropos go to a nitrofos type place. So if you went to D and D feed up in Tomball, if you went to the Arbigate, if you went to Plants for all Seasons, if you want to the RCW Nursery or Hidning Feed on Stubner Airline, those are all places that carry nitroposs products, and there are many many more. You're listening to garden Lined. Our phone number here is seven one three two one two kt RH. We got some room on the phones if you'd like to give a skull. We're about to about three minutes away from our half hour, right but we have time here to take a call if you'd like to do that. In my gardens, I am doing a sol revamp right now. I have some areas, some beds that I made, and they're nice beds, but they kind of sunk down as that organic matter decomposed. And so I'm putting some fresh material, some fresh bed mixes up into those beds and then mixing it in a little bit just to blend it with the soil. And my nutrient content is good because i always have decomposing organic matter, and I'm always using a fertilizer with each planting, you know, the appropriate fertilizer for growing the plants. But I'm getting all that ready, and when I do, and this is just a little tip, I'm going to be away from the garden for a little while after I get it ready. And so I've got a bunch of multch. I'm actually I collect leaves and use leaf mulch a lot in my vegetable gardens, and I'm just going to spread that over the beds and create a blanket to block out the light, so when I come back, I can just pull the multch back and do my planting and I won't come back to a little chia pet of weeds that have all sprouted and the whole bed solid green. That is just a tip that I use a lot of times. Sometimes I'll prepare my soul in the late fall, and then in spring I can pull the mulch back and I'm ready to go. So you may find that to be hopeful for you. But there's a lot of a lot of good ways to go about gardening. Warren's Setting Gardens and Kingwick Garden Center are your go to garden centers out there in Kingwood. Warrens is on North Park, Kingwood Garden Centers on Stone Hollow, and you just have to go see the places they are. Warrens the other day got so many where they still are getting so many shipments of plants in that's just beautiful.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Both these places are open seven days a week, so this afternoon would be a good time to go check out these places. They each have their unique flavor, if you will, and they're both definitely worth stopping in and checking out. They serve that whole community out there and Ukainey and Valley Ranch, Humble, Kingwood and Taska Seed a porter that whole area out there. They sell the products I recommend on garden Line like nitrofoss and Microlife and turf Star and heirloom sauce and other Nelson plant foods for example. All you got to do is go check them out. We're in Southern Gardens and Kingwood Garden Center runs on North Park Kingwood Garden Center on Stone Hollow Drive. Time for me to take a break and turn it over to Jared to tell you everything exciting happening in the news. Don't go away. You need to know this. No somebody, all right, good Sunday morning to you. We are officially bright outside, or we can see around get some gardening done out there. Have you topped off your maltch this year?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know someone I get this call often, and I don't know where the mindset comes from, but someone will say, well, I'm pulling all my ole malt out to put fresh melts in, and you don't. You don't need to do that, and you shouldn't do that. And I'll base my case on the forest. If that was necessary, then how would the forests thrive on the fact that we put new mulch on old malts. You're after year when the leaves fall, Okay, that it's actually the case that the old malts is decomposing, and that's a good thing. That's releasing organic matter to the soil. It's becoming compost over a very very slow period with mulches. Depending on the kind of multus is a rate of decomposition. The bottom line is you've got this great stuff right when it's at its almost best stage. You're pulling it out. But fresh mulch in let that be a soil building material. If you want to go to mix it into the surface a little bit, if it's truly decomposed, that's fine, but I would just let it be a gradient.
Speaker 5: So on.
Speaker 2: If you're cutaway looking at your soil on the top is fresh mulch, brand new mult As you go down, there's some kind of chocolatey brown starting its wet, and maybe you see some fungal activity breaking it down there. And then as you go down a little further, it just gets richer and richer all the way down into the soil, and earth worms are coming up and they're doing their thing through there. And that's the way you do it. That's the forest floor effect, and that's the way it is designed to work for trees to thrive and do well. So whatever your plants are, shrubs, trees, flowers, even ornamental grasses. When you molt, just put fresh molts on top and leave that stuff that's just really starting to get good for the soil. And people will get confused about what's the difference between mult and composts sometimes and compost goes in the soil because it's ready to go to the roots and do its thing in the soil. Mult goes on top of the soil because it's a let's call it a raw material, you know, like a wood chip would be a raw material.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, these these shredded bark mulches, the quality mulches you're going to get from our places, you know, like Nature's Way resources and airloom soils for example, those are quality materials. They go on top that they they're there to block the weeds. And so don't put molts in your soil. Put it on top of the soil. Now a common question I get, I'm kind of running off down a rabbit trail here, but I think it's an important one. A common question I get is, well, if I put like wood on top of the soil, won't that tie up soil nitrogen? And the answer is no. And here's why. If you I'm going to go to an extreme, if you mixed sawdust and fresh wood chips, you know, like chopped up chips in the soil, it would tie up nitrogen because microbes need carbon and nitrogen to break that down. So you're getting a loss of nitrogen for the plants because it's being used to help break down those wood chips. But most sitting on top, even as a tuba four sitting on top of the ground, does not tie up nitrogen down in the soil right at the surface, maybe right on a quarter inch right there, you know where the decomposition is occurring. But don't worry about that. You don't have to worry about that. That's another reason why I don't like to mix mulch into the soil. That's not a good effect to have. Once it gets decomposing, then that nitrogen starts cycling. You know, the nitrogen that was taken up to help break down the woody materials, it's not lost. The microbes die and the nitrogen goes back into the soil, I mean it starts cycling in there. So anyway, little too nerdy maybe for you. But those are fairly common questions or fairly common misconceptions that I hear about all the time. Hey, I'm going to be at Jorges Hidden Gardens this next Saturday. I don't know if you've ever been down there before. If you haven't, there's your chance. This is your what excuse to go as if you needed one. Jorges Hidden Gardens. You hear me talk about them all the time. They are down south in the Alvin area. So if you were to let's say you're in Alvin, you're gonna go kind of down six a little to the south and east of the actual town of Alvin, and they're out there on Elizabeth Street in that area. So Hoorges Hidden Gardens is the kind of place where when you go, you always gonna find the things you need. Of course, they're gonna have they always have like fruit trees and shade trees and roses, and like the Lady the Lady Martin, the Peggy Martin Rose for example, they've always got they got really good selection. Right now, of vegetables and herbs and other things. But I'm gonna be there next Saturday from one to three pm. So it's a little bit later than my normal start time because I got a little bit further to get on there Hoorges Hidden Gardens in Alvin. I'll be answering your questions. Well, I don't know. We'll probably pull some plants out of pots and talk about roots and planting them and trimming them and and other kinds of things. While we're there. We're gonna have a good time, and I hope you will come down and see me. Just put that on the collar next Saturday, March eighth, one to three pm. Hoeges Hidden Gardens and Alvin. I'm looking forward to that. It's been a little while since I've been down to see Jorge, and I really had a good time last time I went down there. You know, he carries some good stuff, really good quality plants. And by the way, it's a place where you know, you can get some of the supplies and things that I talk about here on garden Line all the time. So anyway or he hid in gardens, that's the place to go. Well, let's see we are time I get to talk, and I forget about what time we are actually in because I'm having too much fun I actually do. My favorite place, in my happy place is talking to gardeners. I love it. I just love it.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 2: Nineteen eighty five, I started as a county extension or actually as a experimentation specialist up in Missouri and came back to Texas. And I've been answering gardening questions that whole time, and I've heard so many and I've learned a lot. You know, there's never a day goes by as a gardener. If you're out there and you're paying attention that you're not learning something. I'm telling you the the amount of information there is in horticulture. And if you had learned it all, let's just say you did know everything, which is absolutely impossible not going to happen. Next thing, you know, here comes a new tomato variety, a new rose bush, Here comes a new type of some sort of product, or some sort of changes to plants, or a disease we've never had before, an insect we've never had before. And you never quit learning. But let me tell you that keeps you young. Don't need one reason. You see a lot of times. Older people, you know, gardening is number one. It's so therapeutic, it's so good. But younger people gardening too, and it keeps your mind fresh, it keeps you optimistic. Listen to gardener. You got to be an optimist to open up a little seed envelope and see these little bits of detritus in the bottom that they're saying is going to turn into a tomato plant or whatever seed it is. And you stick that dried, dead thing in the ground, and all of a sudden you're getting luscious tomatoes or flowers or whatever you've planted. That's called faith, and that is called a renewal, and that is just the way the world works. And I think that's a really cool thing, absolutely cool thing. I am having to take a little break here. I want to remind you that my website is gardening with Skip dot com. Gardening with Skip dot com. You can find out more information there. You know, the folks at Nelson Plant Food, they have absolutely come up with a wonderful selection. I could spend hours just talking about all the products that they have. But they have one called Bruce's Brew, and that is a lawn fertilizer it's part of the turf Star series. Now, Bruce's Brew is going to give you a fast release like you would expect from a spring early spring green up fertilizer, but it releases for two three months going down the line, so it's not just a one and done. It's going to give you a continued feeding, an initial fast and then an evening out over time for regulated growth. What that does is it helps form a good deep root system to not just overdo it all at once. The carbon based nitrogen feeds soil microbes. That's in Bruce's Brew. You're gonna find it at a lot of places like other nils, some plant foods, so you need to check that out Bruce's Brew. It would be a great time right now to put some down. I have to take a break. I'll be right back.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 2: If you're thirty years or younger and you know who that is, let me know you get a free rose bush. I'm making that up. Abba. How many people remember? Abba? Oh boy, that was a big deal at the time. Let's head out to Pinehurst, Texas. We're going to talk to Greg this morning, and I have got to do the right kind of click here in order to get Hey, Greg, Thanksgiving for you.
Speaker 4: Hey. Couple two unrelated questions.
Speaker 14: One was, I was listening to you yesterday and I'm getting ready to put down my pre emergent and my my Imperial and I did my first knowing of the season, and I had a bunch of that. But the green Saint Augustine's are kind of coming up. But I have a bunch of the kind of I guess you call it dead grass and almost turns into hay. And I bagged it yesterday, but I wanted to. I saw a lot left over. My neighbor has one of those kind of de thatching machines. Did I use one of those as well? Or Am I fine?
Speaker 2: Just kind of leaving it there? You said, Saint Augustine, Yeah, don't put don't do de thatching on it. It tears it up. Yeah, Saint Augustine. If it was Bermuda, that'd be different. But yeah, don't do don't do that. It'll be okay. It will decompose away. You know, you think about where Saint Augustine is native and every leaf that ever grows dies in rots and goes to the soil, So it'll be okay. If you know, if you mow it a little. Then you're gonna mow it. Let's say you're gonna keep it at three inches or something. You may be mowed down to about two right now and or a little bit lower and then get the fresh new growth up. You can do that and if you can return all that mowing back into the soil, if it doesn't look bad, you have to test it and see. But if you have a good mulching more that chops it up in the little pieces, it'll settle down and then it'll be a surface mulch to help fight weeds. Because you just cut all the leaves off and now the sunlight's going to hit the soil. So I try to return that if I can. Sometimes you have to bag it up because it's too much. Okay, Okay, that's good to know. Okay, super helpful.
Speaker 14: And my other question, total related, is around I've got to I've got have a ninety feet of rear fence that I'm going to plant some privacy screens. I think I've finally decided on eagles and hollies.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 14: My question is is a is that good for what I'm trying to you? And be how far apart should I plant and assuming I'm getting like you know, already kind of nine ten foes forty five gallons.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so with whatever plants you're going to plant, you want to look at what it's mature size. Is mature with okay? And if you know, if if you look at the mature with, that's how big you expected to get. Then it depends on the balance between spending money and faster results. So if you put it at half that distance, you're going to get a complete closure faster, But you're spending money on some pretty expensive plants. Uh, if you put it, if you put it, if you want to save somebody, you can do it about eighty percent, But you're not going to have the wall of foliage as fast. You're going to be individual plants for a little bit longer. So that that's the trade off on them. It's a it's a great plant, you know.
Speaker 6: I I.
Speaker 2: Love Eagleston Holly. They're they're one of the one of the popular. Are those berries? Ah, good question. I don't know. I would have to go look that up. And boy, I definitely don't want to say on the air.
Speaker 15: My best guess sure not are My wife was concerned about dogs and kids, and I was like, well, I think they have been just quite a bit of them to make a big difference, but I wasn't entirely sure.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm trying to remember how wide the eagleston gets. I know it can get up to like twenty feet high eventually.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you're pretty big.
Speaker 2: Trying to remember the width on it. But anyway you can find that out.
Speaker 11: And then.
Speaker 2: Depending on how.
Speaker 14: Fast okay, and underneath those like say, playing them whatever, call it eight ten feet apart, whatever it is, should I do a bed underneath them? Or should I do should I play them individually? Or is that just kind of personal present person.
Speaker 2: I would do. I would do a bed all the way down the road, and I would mix in some high quality organic matter. These kind of plants love to be in a forest floor environment where you have a lot of rotting materials over the decades you know that have built the soil. Make sure they have good drainage. A little bit of a raised bed helps a little bit. And then when you do get them planted, mosts a surface, but the first year, if you can hand water as much as possible, I would do that. Sprinklers get blocks, blocked by other plants, and they don't. You don't always get good coverage. And Holly's are real picky that first year about having little droughty spots around them and stuff, and so I would you can use your sprinkler, but I would make sure and you do handwritting, because then you know you're getting a good drench and that root ball is gonna that's where all the roots are and it's going to take a while before they fill that bed. So don't forget that root ball is especially where you need to put your water, because everything the plant gets comes out of that little cylinder for the first month or so before it gets real step Okay, okay, thanks very much. You bet, thanks a lot, but I appreciate your call. Houston Powder Coders is the biggest powder coder in this whole region. I mean, the property is like six acres, like seventy five more than seventy five employees. They can do anything. They have a bay that is like I don't know, forty or fifty more feet long or somebody you put a gooseneck trailer in the darn thing. It's huge. And then they have things for your little patio furniture. That's what you're interested in, you know, the wrought iron, the cast iron, the aluminum patio furniture. Rather than painting it, if you do a quality powder coating, and that's what they do there. It will give it a new life and they'll if it has bolts and stuff that are rusting, they'll take them out. They'll put fresh stainless steel hardware on it. They'll replace the little plastic end caps that are on the ends of some of that tubular material used to make patio furniture, for example. If it needs a little bit of welding here and there, they can do that as well. That's another service that they offer. Here's what you need to do. Go take an em Go take a picture and of your furniture, whatever you have. Maybe it's a wall hanging that's iron that you want to get coated to go to sales at Houstoncoders dot com. Sales at houstoncoders dot com and send your picture and they'll give you a quick quote on what's going to take. If you want to go to the website Houston powder Coders dot com or two eight one six seven, six thirty eight eighty eight. We're going to go out to Humble now and talk to Helen. Hey, Helen, welcome to garden line. I keep going in the front door and we have to use the backdoor. Hey, Helen, welcome to garden line.
Speaker 8: Well, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 10: I got a two fold question for you. My husband seem to think if I make my sane augustine grass stronger, it will choke the weeds out.
Speaker 8: That is, and I want okay, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 12: Want to waste money on weed killer.
Speaker 11: Good for you.
Speaker 2: Your number one weed control is a dense, healthy lawn. So you don't plant a lawn and it's not thick, but you just plan on using herbicides every month. You're, you know, trying to keep weeds out. Herbicides are there as your back up. But if you create a dense, healthy lawn, you're going to get rid of most especially weeds coming from seed. Most weeds. There's some weeds, Helen, that can live in a dense, healthy Saint Augustine lawn, like Virginia button weed and like dollar dollar weeds. One can live in that lawn. But a lot of them crab grass and grass burr and hind bit and chickweed and clover and all those. If you have a dense, healthy lawn in sunlight can't get to the soil, those weed teats can't come up. Your lawn becomes a mulch that mulches out the light and prevents weeds from coming in. Okay, got okay, so you're both right. I'm well, you're both right.
Speaker 10: I got one last thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Also, when I mulch my flower beds, what is too much and what is too little?
Speaker 2: What is too much and what is too little?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 2: Generally about three inches. The chunkier the mulch, the thicker it has to be to block out the light, the finer texture of the mulch, the less you need to do the job. But about three inches is a pretty good number.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, all right, I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate your call. Y'all have fun. I'm glad. I'm glad we have peace in the family. No marriage counselor need it out there and humble, We're.
Speaker 10: Good to go. I'm glad he's got one thing right this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, apparently he did something right when he married you. How about that? I bet he agrees with me.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 10: Thank you, though, y'all have a good garden day.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, iy you know away. Sometimes people I get a call and someone says, well, my husband thinks this, and I told him that, and I can see there's a battle brewing. Look, I don't do I do do marriage counseling. Oh I do, but it's three hundred dollars an hour, and you don't want me to do it. But I will give you horticulture advice for free. So and we'd like to have some fun with the callers. As you can see. Hey, stick around for the news. I'll be right back. Don't go away. We've got lots more to talk about.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kat r h Garden Line with scamp Rickards.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as well. So many birties not sor alright, welcome back to the garden line on a beautiful Sunday morning. I'm telling you this afternoon you need to figure it out. But you gotta go somewhere and get something and get out in the yard and have some fun there. This is the time. Are there's stuff to do in the lawns. Right now we are putting a pre emergent for warm season weeds. If you are going to do a pre emergent. You gotta do it now.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you have cool season weeds before they finish setting seeds and stuff, get a post emerging on them. The sooner the better if you're gonna get rid of them. If you just got a few, you can hand pull them. You've got a few, you can spots spray. I'm here and there. You don't have to do that all that, uh, but that's what it's what I do in mind most theories. But listen, when there's a bunch that and pulling just not practical unless you'd enjoy doing that. There are people who do. But anyway, you got to. You gotta take care of them because once a cool season weeds such seeds that one weed plant now has created hundreds of potential offspring, so next fall they'll sprout and next spring it's going to be even worse. And so the goals, you know, we talk about a lot of products for doing a lot of things, and they work, they do work that works. But our goal is to build the densest, healthiest lawn in the world. And regular mowing, proper watering with a good soaking on an infrequent basis, and then fertilizing with a high quality fertilizer is how we do that. It's lawn care is really simple. Mow water fertilized. That's the simplest I can make it. And then when a chinchbug shows up or a brown patch circle or cool season weats or warm season weaeds, we have ways of dealing with that. But our goal is mow water fertilized to create the densest, healthiest lawn that you can do. That's what we're after.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: In your garden beds, your goal is to create beauty. You want it to look good. Colorful flowers, colorful foliage shrubs, and maybe some evergreen, maybe some blooming shrubs. Moss Nursery done in Seabrook is a place where you can get all that and more. This nursery. If you've not been to Mosque before, you need to just make a plan to go, you know, go get lunching chema or something and go visit Moss or it's down in Seabrook off Toddville Road, and they are so loaded right now with all kinds of plants, and they carry standard things that you would expect at a garden center, you know, junipers after the four varieties of junipers, ozelia's, red buds, magnolias, you know, Holly's and ewes and Chinese witchy or Chinese witch hazel, laura pedal and ball cipers. But they have other things like Brazilian rain trees. Go look that one up. That's a cool plant. Portula carria. Yeah I didn't say porta laca, said portulacaria. So think of think of portulaca, or person, think of purcelaine or porta laca and imagine it being a little like not shrub, but a little bit of a woody plant or small plant, not just like a groundcover that's all succulent. That's what that is. Pretty cool stuff. They have hundreds of bon bonseye starters. If you I took somebody yesterday that was a bonesye grower at the Home and Garden show up in Montgomery County, which by the way is still going on today. Uh and we were talking bones eye. But you go downto moss you can. There's hundreds of plants you can choose from and start that hobby yourself. Have you ever tried that? You know, it's kind of building a ship in a bottle. Something you get out and play with and work on and stuff. Bonesye is a is a really cool fun anyway I'm going on about bones Eye. Moss Nursery is a place to go. It's not just under the garden Center. You're going to wander through eight acres and you're going to find everything you need and they are loaded up with plants ready for you right now, and lots of yard art. We'll call it landscape bling. They've got plenty of that too. Toddville Road, Seabrook, Texas. Moss Nursery dot com. Moss has two a's in it two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight to eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight. If you are interested in giving a skull here on garden Line, we'd be happy to visit with you our phone number seven one three two one two kt RH seven one three two one two kt RH. I mentioned earlier that you got to get the pre emergent now, if you're going to put one on. Some people use them, some people don't. But if you're going to put a pre emergent on, and if you've got a thin lawn where sunlight hits the soil, nature will plant weeds there. That's how it works. That's why we build as dens of a lawn as we can. But barricade by nitrofoss is an excellent product for preventing weed seeds from sprouting. Here's how it works. I'm not going to go nerdy on you. Just in a nutshell, you need to know this. You put the barricade down, You water it with about half inch of water. It goes into the soil and it ties up at the surface. It doesn't wash off the surface. It doesn't wash through the soil. It's made to tie up to the soil. If it didn't do that, when the weeds germinate up at the surface, there wouldn't be any barricade there for them. It's a barricade. It's named that for a reason. It ties up to the soil. A weed tries to sprout and it can't come through it. That's how barricade works. And there are other pre emergents in the market. I'll tell you this. Nothing grabs the soil and sticks in place as well as barricade does. That's that's just a fact. Okay, broad leaf weeds, grassy weeds, whatever's coming up this spring and summer, you get ahead of them with barricade. Now, now you're gonna find barricade, like other nitrofuss products in many places around town. If you go to Bearings Hardware on Bissonet, if you go to the Bearing Hardware that's on West Teimer, for example, you go to Hiden and Feed on Stubner Airline, or Ace Hardware City, which is a memorial drive. How about all Spas Ace on kirkandall oor Ace out a Sinkle ranch, all places where you're going to get quality night fuss products like the barricade. People get confused, and you know, in answering questions, I hear it a lot. I hear where two things are said and they're both true, but then when they put them together, they get mixed up and it gets a little confusing. Herbicides come in two types, whether it's an organic product or synthetic product. There's going to be things that prevent weed seeds from sprouting and establishing, and there's gonna be things that kill existing weeds. And you gotta you want to do one or the other. Now, if you're looking for a quality nursery and you're out in the Kadi area our West Houston nursery is an awesome one. You're fortunate. Nelson Water Garden and Nursery and Katie Nelson Water Garden is a full service local nursery. I know it says water garden in the name. It also says nursery in the name. Nelson Nursery and Water Garden. For two generations, they've been a leader in water gardens and their garden center and nursery is just awesome. Walk through from the house plants you walk through when you come through the building to the vegetables and herbs you get to and flowers next to the shrubs and trees and fruiting plants and everything. You're out there in the koy posey and the coy ponds and the water plants that they carry their nationally recognized experts. Nelson Watergardens dot Com. You go out to Katie Turn North on Katie Fort Benroad and it's right up there, Nelson Watergardens dot Com.
Speaker 11: Like the frame.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 12: It's still.
Speaker 2: And more marriage advice for all you guys out there today on garden Line. See we're a we are a multi service show. We don't just do plants, you do music. Welcome back, We're good to have. It's good to have you. Glad you're here. Seven one three two one two kt rih if you'd like to give me a call and that'd be a good time. Wildbirds Unlimited is they are the ones response. I blame Wildbirds Unlimited for getting me into backyard birding.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: It's their fault because I go in there and I see products that are amazing, you know, like they have feeders like I just got their hop it's called the Classic Eco Tough hopper feeders designed by the owner of Wildbirds Drains Well. Keeps your seed dry, which some hopper feeders she'd get soggy wet. I just got one, putting it out in the yard. I love the eliminator. The eliminator feeder is just awesome. It keeps the squirrels from getting in. It works really really well. My squirrels hate it on a Sunday morning. The language that they use, they should be ashamed of themselves because they can't get in that feeder. Which makes me happy. All right now, right now, you need wild Birds Unlimited Nesting super Blend. That is the one. For now. Our birds are nesting, they're laying eggs, they need the calcium in wildbirds unlimited nesting super blend. They need the protein in that feed as well. You can buy it in loose seed bag. You can buy it in seed cylinders, which are kind of cool.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like one of those little candles. It's about I don't know, four inches across or so. They come in different sizes, by the way, but it's like all the seed is sort of glued in there and the birds have to kind of peck it out whatever's convenient for you, whatever you want to do, and whatever kind of feeder you need, Warbirds is going to have that kind of feeder for you. That's what they do. The most important thing they do is that they give accurate local advice. They can tell you when the hummingbirds typically arrive, when the Purple Martin Scouts show up, and when you need to get your Martin houses up. It's an amazing place. They told me about the Cornell app and it's called Merlin, like Merlin the Magician, Merlin me R L A N. It's free. You need to go get it. Just do this, do this for me today. Download Merlin on your phone. It's free and try it out. If you see a bird and take a picture. Merlin will tell you what that bird is. I mean, unless it's like five hundred yards down the way there. If you go out in the morning and you hear a bird, go to Merlin and say listen, and it'll tell you what the bird is and tell you about that bird. It is free, it is cool. War birds s time out. See it's their fault. I would have been this enthusiastic if it hasn't been for them. Well, you're fortunate.
Speaker 10: Here.
Speaker 2: You've got six wild Bird stores. If you live in Pearland on Broadway, if you live in Kingwood on Kingwood Drive down in Houston on the west Side at Memorial on bel Air in Houston, up in Cypress on Barker Cypress, or in clear Lake on Eldorado Boulevard. All great stores, all great wild Birds, unlimited stores. You got to check these things out. You'll love it. I promise you you will. Well, you're listening to Garden Line and we're here to answer your gardening questions. So if you want to give me a call, the number is seven one three two one two KTRH seven one three two one two KTRY. I know you're probably getting ready for church or something. Who knows what you got planned today? And you're busy, so that's good. You just keep listening. It will be good with that too. But if you have a question, I'm glad to help you. I've got an open line right now, which is which is a good thing if you were interested in asking a question. I was out in the yard the other day taking care of some mulching that I needed to do in my front bed. I had a real nice craws. I'm trying out some different multas you know, when I talk about a product on guarden Line, most of the time I've used it, or I've read about it in research, or I've seen it and you know, been around it and familiar with it. And this was I got some molts things from the folks at Nature's Way up in forty five North and I was trying them out, and you know, I try this one out, see how it does, hot looks and stuff, and try a different one out.
Speaker 4: And I was.
Speaker 2: I was replenishing one of their double shred it's called a double shredded molts that they have. Look really good. It's really doing the job and it works well. And they have many others as well. But I'm always trying different things out out there and seeing you know how it works. And you can always tell where you don't have your molts thick enough because the weed comes up. It's true, looking at us, I can eat be a weed. I moltzed it and I walk over there, and it's like this little gap in the malt sunlight hits the soil. Wherever sunlight hits the soil, nature plants a weed. That's how that works. Unfortunately, nature does not like bear soil because bar soil gets eroded. Bear soil gets crusted, and nature takes care of soil that way. It's a beautiful design system, all right. Sweet Green from Nitrophis is an organic fertilizer with eleven percent nitrogen. That's a lot for an organic fertilizer being a carbon based product. Sugar is a string of carbons, and molasses is a sugar type and so basically your molasses product goes in the soil and microbes go nuts. I mean it's like crack, a micro crack. I love this stuff. And when they go nuts, they are turning loose all the things that your plants need to grow. The nitrogen that's in it you know, and their activity is breaking down organic matter and it's just making the soil better. So you're not just adding nitrogen. You're doing things that help the soil as well. Now you're going to find Sweet Green a lot of places around town. If you go, oh, let's say to Rosenberg, there is Sweet Green at M and D in Rosenberg. If you go to Court Hardware in Stafford on South Maine, you're going to find or M and D there Court Hardware, You're going to find the nitrophos products there. By the way, there's also M and D and Cyprus on Luetta that you can go to, and Langham Creek Ace Hardware on five twenty nine. You need to go see that story. It's got They did a total renovation recently and it looks great. Anyway, Sweet Green's easy to find. That's the bottom line. Try it out. So I'm out and I'm replenishing mults. I'm taking care of some things like that, and I have some semi sensitive plants, like it's the pride of Barbados. It's also the proper name is Sey Sulpinia, but Pride of Barbados or Barbados Pride is something that people call it a lot. It's a tropical type of plant that dice to the ground here and usually comes back, but it doesn't like cold cold, and we had some pretty cold this winter. So I took a bunch of maltch and just piled it up over the stems of the plant, and it killed it all the way back. And I know this that once we're done with all the coal, which we're pretty much done, I'll just pull that mulch back off there, let that crown breathe, and we'll have fresh new growth. But that plant is a sleepyhead. It's not going to show up till about May. It's like a teenager on Saturday morning. If you see them before lunch, you're lucky, all right, it's a sleepyhead. But I love that plant too, But just a tip when you're mulching, mulch is one of the best ways you can protect those tender plants like that as they're coming up. Enchanted Forest is a wonderful garden center. I was talking to somebody this morning about who called in, you know about Enchanted Forest, and I believe it's tim And they have everything that you would want a garden center to have. The setting is just amazing when you drive up. I don't know how to describe it. I don't say it's like an old Western town, but just the whole building and everything. It's rustic. It's a barn look rustic, but it is so cool. And then you go there and then there's buildings on the site. There's like structures on the site with the plants in them that you just walk in free air float through there and they're loaded tomatoes of every type, you can imagine, herbs of every type, you can imagine, annual flowers, perennial flowers, hanging baskets. They really do a great job on pollinator plants and on specifically butterfly plants, both the ones that attract the adults and the food sources for the young. Everybody knows, you know, monarch butterflies need milkweed. Well, passion flower butterflies need passion vine. That a gulf fridillary butterflies. Excuse me, gulfridillary butterflies need passion vine. They've got all that and during the season you're going to find caterpillars on the plants. They'll let you take the I got a pillar home too, so you got your little it's like having a sour dough starter. You got your your butterfly garden starter going home with the plant. They're located on FM twenty seven fifty nine, and that is south of fifty nine or sixty nine the interstate. If you're going from Richmond, Rosenberg to a Sugarland, it's off to the right FM twenty seven fifty nine. Enchented Forest. The website Enchented Forest Richmond, TX dot com. You need to go check this place out tonight this afternoon'd be a great time. Let's go out to Pasadena now and we're gonna let's see who are we talking to in Pasadena. He is Steve Steve, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Skip, we appreciate you longtime garden Line listener, Andy Lemon, rest of Soul, and that I appreciate you stepping in and doing such.
Speaker 4: A great job.
Speaker 2: Thanks for being a listener.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, you got your help so many people. Hopefully you can help me today. All right, I got a yard my daughter's property in Pasadena and it became a rent property and they didn't do anything. And we have two big trees and the leaf malts, not malt, just leaves.
Speaker 2: Three years of it.
Speaker 6: I begged about almost thirty contractor bags of leafs out of there this last week and everything's dead and it's a.
Speaker 12: It's a pretty good sized yard.
Speaker 6: It used to have some grass and we don't know if we're going to keep it or rent property or or sell it. But I didn't want the cost. I mean, sod's gone up in such a I mean, I can't believe the price of sods these days, these last years. But yeah, I've never seen the yard. I never I thought, man, what's what's a good way to go about? I mean it's it's pretty hardpan too.
Speaker 8: You know, it's like it's just it's a flat surface.
Speaker 6: And yes, so anyway, but I guess my question to you, and I just stopped and listen, what would you do to prep that up?
Speaker 8: And I guess so it would be the easiest thing.
Speaker 6: And I've done that before. I've brought into the top soil laid sod.
Speaker 8: But okay, i'd really have been interested in your ideas.
Speaker 4: Go thank you.
Speaker 2: How sunny is the spot?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm taking I'm having a tree service come in and get rid of one of the trees.
Speaker 2: So we're going to bring a lot more sun in Okay. So there is one.
Speaker 6: There's one really large oak, and I'm going to have that trimmed up.
Speaker 2: So that's what all.
Speaker 6: It should be decent for growing. After I do that, and that's next week, I'm going to have the tree service come in.
Speaker 2: Okay. If you've got good sunlight, you can grow any of our main southern grasses, which is Saint Augustine, Zuysia, and bermuda. If you start to get into shade, the bermuda drops out, you get into a little more shade, and the zoysia drops out, and then you get into more in the the Saint Augustine drops out. There actually are some zoysias that are comparable to Saint Augustine in shade tolerance. But so depending on the spot, you're going to pick one of those. And the reason that matters is what whever you do, you are going to want to fertilize it consistently and water it consistently to get it to cover as fast as possible you can sell. There's a couple of strategies.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Of course, you fill the whole thing with sid that's fast, that's easy, it costs money. Okay. The next step would be to start somewhere laying side, and then later by more sod to go further and let that side creep out a little bit, and then more sid and more side, so you're sort of taking over, maybe starting at the house, working out or whatever. That's another strategy. A third strategy is to get rid of everything. Get the dirt right, you need to make sure and get you know, get that loosened up if you can row a tail or break it up a little bit, or bring in some full soil to fill holes and things. And then once you've done that, you want to put your side out as more like plugs or strips. You can take a piece of sod it's like a doormat size, and you cut it into strips and you put those a foot apart, and now you've made it go a lot further, maybe three times as far as it would have. But then you have to wait on it to fill in. And so those are your three options that you got on I've got about I've got about ten seconds before I have to go. I'll put you on hold if you want to keep this going.
Speaker 6: No, it's okay, It sounds like I could probably do the human checkters game.
Speaker 2: With that. That that is it and the and the the thing to keep in ling is you're going to be dealing with weeds. But that's okay. It's the it's a cost effective way. Hey, thanks for the call. Appreciate it a lot.
Speaker 6: Yes, thanks appreciated.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're back. Welcome to Garden Line. Welcome back on a beautiful sunday. Oh my gosh, the temperature. It's awesome. This this is the way it should be year round. I wish well, if you'd like to give me a call here on Guarden Line my number seven one three two one two K.
Speaker 4: T R H.
Speaker 2: We're here to answer your gardening questions, to help in any way we can to help you have success. Uh, pests spoil the show. I don't care if it's a cockroach crawling across the floor causing panic screams, people are jumping on furniture, throwing shoes. I mean it's a mess, right, Or if it's termites that are doing significant potential damage there to your house. Pest Brothers can take care of all of that. They specialize, that's their name, pest Bros. Pest Brothers, pest Bros. They specialize in this out in your yard. How about fire ants? Would you like a very effective, very low talks safe way to control fireance. They can do that. They have the kinds of extremely low concentration baits that work on fire ants, but they're not a problem for your pets that are out there. Maybe you're dealing with mosquitos. They've got that cool bucket system that I talked about, you know, not blasting, not essentially nuke in the yard, trying to kill mosquitos that might be flying by at the moment or in a bushy. These bait stations draw the mosquitoes to them, and that's where the problem for the mosquitos begins. They lay eggs in the water in the but those eggs can never develop into mosquitoes because the product falls into the water. The product gets on the mosquito when it lands on the little screen, and then it goes flying off and wherever it lands in water, it introduces a very cool product, very safe product that prevents mosquitos from growing. And guess what, here's the best part the mosquito that picked up that product. It's actually two things in that little dust. The other thing is a fungus that attacks mosquito's bodies. I mean, and I could get gross here, but if you hate mosquitos, you can always let you imagine it for yourself. It doesn't end well for a mosquito. It's a natural control. It doesn't hurt ladybugs, doesn't hurt birds, doesn't hurt you know, fish or anything else. This is very specific, very safe, which is typical of the pest Bros. The pestbrosbros dot com. That's the website two eight one, two oh six forty six seventy long term control without the worries. Let's see, I've got a phone call here. We're going to go out to Crosby now and talk to Gerald. Hello, Gerald, welcome to garden Mine.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Skip, how you doing well. I have a question about can you put as and mite in that sweet green down at the same time?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yeah, absolutely. Sweet green is pretty specific to being nitrogen. That's that's pretty much what it is, and so asumite is going to give you the trace minerals. Now, I would not mix as and MTE with other fertilizers in the same spread or hopper at the same time, So put out one and then put out the other. Because the particle size is different and you won't get even application. But yes, same day, same time, put out one, come back load the other one. Put it out. You're good. Same as is true with you know, fertilizers and then barricade. You know, the fertilizers are different particle size and barricade, so you got to do them.
Speaker 4: Separate, right, Okay, Well that's what I needed to know because I don't want to put some down before this one gets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how much are we supposed to get? I haven't looked at the weather.
Speaker 4: Here, I don't know how much.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Well, just I always watch the amount because you know, if we were going to get like two or three inches of rain, I wouldn't fertilize ahead of that because you will have some wash away. But if it's if it's more moderate, let the rain save you some irrigation. So yeah, good plan man, all righty bro, thank you, all right? Thanks Jered, take care, Yes, sir, you as well if you bet. If you're looking to do a compost, stop dressing and or a core aeration of your lawn, And by the way, that is one of the best things you can do for a lawn, especially clay soil, especially compacted soil I would call year round Houston. If you're located inside the Beltway or out in the Richmond Rosenberg area, you know, we have different folks if we talk about on guarden line for different parts of the area, because hauling the equipment and all the composts for top dressing and stuff around, I mean, you just can't. You can't go two hundred miles all over the place trying to do that. You're around Houston serves that area inside the Beltway and out at Richmond Rosenberg, and they are composting specialists for both compost and specialists for corration. So when they use a product, it's a quality product. When they do aeration, it's the type of machinery you can't rent that does a nice core popped out of the soil, dropped on the surface. That's how it should be done. That's how it should be done. Don't just rent some cheap machine that squeezes a hole in the soil. You want to do cor aeration, pop it out. That's what they do. Now you can breathe a new life into your lawn literally because with each corrooration you get oxygen down in the soil, the root system is enhanced fertilizer and this compost does fall into that hole. The compost helps hold it open. And each time you do corroortion, you are making an area that is struggling with the clay compaction in things, you're making it better and year round Houston does it. Here's the website. It's not hard. Year round Houston dot com eight three to two eight eight four fifty three thirty five. Year round Houston dot Com eight three to two eight eight four fifty three thirty five. Let's go out now on the phones. We're going to talk to AJ. Hello, AJ, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 11: I got a question about I've got a raised bed garden out in my backyard and over the years just kind of settled down and I wanted to put something over the top of it that would enrich that soil.
Speaker 2: What do you suggest? Is this a vegetable garden, right, you said ub guard. Yeah, I would get There is a product called Veggie and Herb Mix from Heirloom Soil, and it's available just everywhere by the bag. And so if you're just topping off a bed, you could just do it by the bag. You can also get a bulk delivery of it or go pick up a bulk amount of it yourself on a truck or trailer. Uh, if you want more than if it's gonna take too many bags to do what you want to do. But uh, that is.
Speaker 11: Maybe picking up a yard.
Speaker 2: I got to pick it up that I could pick it up with what pass for uh veggie and herb mix. And what you're gonna what you're gonna want to do is you want you want to go where you can get the soil bulk in Porter that that's hang on one second, I'm trying to reach and get the address here. Uh in the Porter yard is where they basically produce and distribute from out there, and it's Warren's Rock and Moltz is the location where you get it.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: The the address is US fifty nine Access Road in Porter. But if you want, you can go to the website. It's rock inmlts dot com r O c K the letter in and then Malts dot com. Let me give you a phone number to eight one to eight one three five four nineteen fifty to eight one three nine call them up. You got options. They can put a super stack in your truck, or they can dump it in your truck, but they know all the details of that and set that up with them. I think they're open seven to four Monday through Friday, seven to three on Saturday, and definitely close today.
Speaker 11: Okay, one more question. I heard you talking about Core Areation. Yes, do you suggest I call here the Spring area?
Speaker 2: In the Spring Area, I would call green Pro Green Pro and a right. Let me, I'll see their address here. In a minute, I have to run to a break, but when I come back, I'll give an address or information on Oh I haven't here, it is right here. I'll just do it Greenprotextas dot Com. That's the website, so just go there and that's got the phone number and everything on it, Greenprotexas dot Com.
Speaker 11: All right, all right, certainly appreciate, thank you.
Speaker 2: You bet bye bye? All right? Votes, Yeah, that's a who is singing footloose there. I don't know that artist. That's different, but you know what, that's what they call cover song called right. You make a good song and everybody becomes Elvis when you sing one of his songs. All right, Well, I was talking about airlom so before we went to break. Heirloom soils is uh they serve the whole region. In fact, I've seen their products way you know, towards san Antoni, Austin direction and everything. They they produce a quality product and as a result, you got a lot of people interested in it. And they also give you versatility. They sell their bags in so many places around town that it's easy to find heirloom soils and they give you a variety, so you can get a soil that is for roses and other blooming and shrubs in general. You can get a veggie and herbmex which is good for vegetables and herbs, and you cant even grow flowers, little annual flowers and things that do you discried for that. You can get one for fruit trees, you can get one for acid loving plants. They've got it all there. Also in the versatility, you can buy it by the bag, but you can have them bring it to you two ways. You can have them bring a dump truck and dump it in the driveway and you shovel from there. I've done that many times building up my beds. You can also get it in what's called a supersack. That's a one cubic yard sack that it lifts up, they set it on your driveway. It's neat and clean. I've still got one. I haven't finished up a supersack setting on my driveway that I've been shoveling out of. I just need to get more time to get to it. It's neat, it's clean, it's easy, easy, easy to do. Now, if you're going to get a delivery of supersacks, there's a three supersacked minimum, So you can't just get like a one yard and have them drive eight hundred miles smart, so you got to you got to do the minimum there on three. But however you want to go about it? Do you want to drive out to Porter I was just talking someone just a moment ago about going out there at Wrang's Rocket Melch and picking it up right there. Heirloom soil products right there. While you're out there, you know you're gonna find things like black star gravel, crush, granite, pea pea gravel, sand, things like that. They have a really beautiful thing called rainbow gravels, a little different colors of a little gravel. It's real pretty. And then of course mulch is cedar, mulch, hardwood, mulch pine bark, mulch. It just they have a lot go to. You need to check them out. Heirloomsoils dot Com is where you go to learn about all the airlom soil products. And if you are deciding that you want to do a delivery, I would just give them a call at two eight one three five four nineteen fifty two eight one three five four one nine five zero. I get excited about soil. The way I like to tell people is I get I love dirt, and yet people remind me gardeners, some master gardener's going to go. It's not called dirt, y'all taught us in master gardening. It's not dirt. It it's oil. That's right. It is soil. Dirt is soil where you don't want it. Dirt in your house. Soil in your house is called dirt, all right. Anyway, Semantics green Pro I was just talking with I think it was it was it aj about green Pro. He was asking about Core Aeration. Green Pro is our core aeration specialist that services about a forty five mile range from Magnolia. So to make it a little simple there, all you got to do is think of Interstate forty five and Interstate ten. That's the northwest quadront of Houston. That's where they serve. Basically, Okay, their correation services are impeccable. They've been doing this a long time. They know what they're doing. They only use top quality comp and when they fertilized fertilizer as well. But they'll come in, they'll do a corrotion with a machine that does it right, and then they'll put the top quality compost down. And when you do that, you're feeding the biology the soil, the microbes, and they need that. You're getting oxygen in the soil, which helps both the scent the sand, the turf roots, and the microbes themselves they need oxygen too. You're improving the internal drainage because now there's a way for water to soak in faster down into the soil because you've increased that area by the corrooration. If your soil has been or your sod has been struggling with chinchbugs or brown patch or take all patch, corretion's the secret if you've got that. I was talking yesterday when I was up at the Montgomery County Home and Garden Show. It's still going on today, still going on. If you haven't gotten out there. I was talking to some people that had thatch problems and we were talking about what causes that and all that kind of thing. The number one way to get rid of that is to core air, right, because it brings those little little cylinders of soil up to the surface and drops them there in the thatch, and when they dissolve into the thatch, it makes it rot real fast. Also, the compost top dressing helps because it keeps it moist. When you have organic matter that stays moist, decomposition will occur. And that's how you get rid of that.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: What more can I say? Greenprotexas dot com, Greenprotexas dot Com eight three two three five one zero zero three two A three two three five one zero zero three two. I've got time for one more call this hour. If you are fast on the dial, we'll get to you before the end of the hour. I love RCW Nursery for several reason. Number one is convenient. It's just right there where FM two forty nine comes ato bout way eight. You know, you just do it on your maps, phone maps or whatever, and it'll take it right down to It's easy to get to this right there, and so that location, and I mean whether you're northwest or east or south or wherever, it's easy to get there to RCW Nurseries. RCW Nurseries has all kinds of good deals going on right now, and they grow they sell everything. You know, we're talking about herbs and flowers and vegetables. Yeah, they have all that stuff. The roses, I don't know anybody carries the many types of roses as RCW Nursery pages and pages full of roses. That is something all the rosarians know about that place. And it's still okay to plant roses. For crying out loud, this is a great time to get your roses planted. So stop by RCW. See what they got there. Check them out. They also though, when it comes to shrubs and trees, they have a very good selection and they grow their own trees. Most of the trees they have they grow their own, coming from up in Planetersville where they have their field, the Williamston Tree Farm up there, And so you're going to get species that want to grow here. They don't sell you a blue spruce, for example, because they know it didn't grow it. They've been doing this, they've been doing this since nineteen seventy nine. That's how long RCW has been in business. So what's that forty six years? I think they probably know what they're doing. And when they grow a tree, they grow it right, so it's going to establish and succeed. And if it's of any size at all, you're going to want to get help in planning it. And they do planting services as well. And if it's a small tree and you're going to plant yourself, they have things like roots Stimulator. They certainly carry the fertilizers we talk about here on Guardenline and things like Nitrophoss, Microlife, turf Star. It's just the place to go and if they don't have it, they probably get it. We call them they get it, got it nursery because if they don't have it, ask them. I bet they can find it because they do their best to find anything that you're interested in. All right, website rcwnursries dot com. Simple as that, We're going to go out to pair Land now and talk to K. Hello, okay, excuse me to do this called in the backwards way. Hey K, Hey, how you doing. I'm good.
Speaker 5: I thought you got rid of me. I have a question on the big elephant foot plant I have. It's not the fringy one. It's one that has the big branches. It has a spread of probably four feet or so, and I had it covered and had a floodlight on the base of it. But I think some of the ends of the branches it looks like they're dead. I scraped them and they're they're not. But the whole, the whole branch is not. That's grape that and there's still life. Can I just clip those off?
Speaker 2: Or yeah, I'm not sure. I'm not sure. I don't know what plant we're talking about. Kay, elephant ear, it.
Speaker 16: All comes out of us, not elephant ear, it's elephant foot. It's okay, okay, you know what them most of them have this fringy stuff coming out of them.
Speaker 2: Now, okay, the music is on. I'm about to be cut for the news. Hang on, don't go away. I'll come back to you. Okay, if you can hang on, I'll be back. Okay, All right, folks, Hey, I want to remind you all that I'll be at Jorges Hidden Gardens in Alvin next Saturday. Now I'm doing this a little later down there because I have to drive down one pm to three pm Jorges Hidden Gardens and Alvin. I hope you'll come out and see me. We do the regular old thing, you know, where you bring me samples or pictures or whatever and we diagnose and identify. But I'm going to be talking about secrets of planting success when we're down there, and a lot of other things and answering your gardening questions at Jorges Hidden Gardens.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Guarden Line with Scared Rictor.
Speaker 2: It's trim. Just watch him as a man again a sun All right, we're back. Guess what we got one more hour today, which means we got one more hour this weekend. You got a question and they can't wait until next Saturday. Well that'd be a good time to ask. We'll be happy to help you with that. For those of you up in the Greater Willis area, And when I say Greater Willis, I mean you know the lake like Conrad out there, the Conroe up north New Waiver, just that whole reeve of the woodlands, even growers outlet in Willis is a place you need to see. I bet you haven't been there before. The website is exactly that Growers Outlet in Willis dot com. They're on Highway seventy five, just minutes away from forty five, just a little bit south of Willis. There they serve that whole area, of course, and they've got the fertilizers you hear me talking about all the time, you know, microlife and nitroposs and medina for example. Their selection of vegetables and bedding plants, ferns, perennials, shrubs, trees, fruit. They've got a bunch of fruit in the other day, I was talking to them up there. They've got figs and there's like four different kinds of figs. I have a bunch of different kinds of figs. Maybe more than that. They have blueberries, and then you know all the standard fruit trees, you know, the peaches and whatnot that you would expect a really nice selection. The cool thing I think are a cool thing about it is products that they have are viewable online. You can look at availability and pricing. Not many nurseries do that, but you go to Growers Outlet in Willow dot com and you can see, i think every Wednesday evening they update their vegetable list of what they have. Huge, beautiful baskets, Oh my gosh. And when you're looking at perennials like verbena and geraniums, they grow those in house right there. They've got a really nice gift shop. It's just a good place to visit. And you go first, go to the website. Check it out. Growers Outlet in Willis dot com on Highway seventy five, just south of Willis, just a few minutes away from Interstate forty five. We're gonna go now and go back to K. We were visiting with K before we went to break there. Hey, Kay, welcome to garden Ope. I messed up. I messed up. Hang on, all right, we're gonna try that again. Hey, K, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Yeah I called back, I got cut off.
Speaker 2: It was it was weird. Yeah all right, Well.
Speaker 5: Boy, I'm talking about the elephant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, elephant foot, Yeah, elephant foot. For those other folks that are listening, that's a plant that's also called ponytail palm. You're probably familiar with it a big old sweat.
Speaker 5: But that's not what I have.
Speaker 2: Oh, you don't have a ponytail.
Speaker 5: I don't have a ponytail has large long branches coming out and then they're clusters of big leaves.
Speaker 2: At the end of the Okay, Okay, do you know now I have never I have never grown that plant before, but I can tell you this about it. I know what you're talking about. I just my experience with it. It's very limited. Okay, you said you have some cold damage right to it on the on.
Speaker 5: The tips, like three or four inches on the two ends.
Speaker 2: What what I would drink?
Speaker 4: Where?
Speaker 2: Ahead?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, go.
Speaker 5: Ahead, No, I was just saying where the frost blanket was out too far? I guess from the heat source at the base, but so so some of it I think froze and it I just am afraid it's going to affect the rest of the branches.
Speaker 2: Well I I wouldn't. I would just say this, what's been effected is affected, and you can't change that. You can't take dead and make your live, of course, But if you just wait and see, you may see some areas that start to be sunken. And if it's just a little spot, the branch is probably going to have enough structural integrity to hang on and keep going. If it's a bigger spot, you may have to do some cutting out, but it can put out some fresh new growth. So you're going to have to just kind of wait and see on it. And I always like to let the plant tell me when to prune. You know, we do the thing where we scrape the branch and see if it's brown underneath or if it's a healthy color, and you can do that, but the plant will tell you pretty quick here. And if you see stuff really sinking in, sunken and soft, almost spongy like, then that definitely is is not alive.
Speaker 5: I have scraped it and there's some of these ants are brown underneath, but then the rest of the branch is green, yeah, or you know, lives looking.
Speaker 9: So that's why I didn't know.
Speaker 2: What where did you get that thing?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever seen that for sailor it was.
Speaker 5: I've had it for over fifty years. It came from a friend of ours. My husband was an orthodonist, and he had a young man that was a teacher and he had he did lab work for it, and they he and his wife had a small nursery and when my husband opened his new office, they gave us that plant, okay, and I took it home and I had it, but I always had a big garage that I could put it in when the weather was bad.
Speaker 2: Well, and I don't have that now, so okay, I'm going to put you. We're gonna good job. My producer is going to pick up. If it's okay with you. Would you get an email to send me a picture of that plant. I'd love to see it, and especially the area before and after. I would love to see that.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 5: It happens to it and it loses its leaves in the fall every fall. It acts like a diak it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, thank you, thank you, thank you very much for that. You bet. And let's see. We're gonna go to Pasadena now and talk to Valdo.
Speaker 4: Hey, Stip, how you doing?
Speaker 2: Hey Skip, how you doing? I'm doing good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm just gonna.
Speaker 2: Ask a question, then hang up and listen on the radio.
Speaker 9: I bought a Eagleston Holly.
Speaker 17: I don't know if it was a twenty five gallon, twenty five gallon or thirty gallons. I bought it just right before winter in twenty four, put it in and then I'm just now noticing that it's starting to grow another or it has another trunk, so it has the main trunk.
Speaker 2: Where it's tied off to bamboo stick for it to stay straight. And now there's another one off to the side of that. Yeah, can I just can I just remove that? You can? Yeah, you can. And I can't see the plants, so I you know, I can't really advise you on whether you should or not, but you can. You can prune it off close to where it attaches to the trunk. Uh and and uh and the plant will continue on from there. Sometimes they do that. That's that's not a big issue. But you know, structurally, I think it sounds like you want to take that little one off because it's kind of comparing. You can leave it. I wish I could see it, and then I know for sure. But Egleston, on a lot of plants, you're going to get multiple trunks like that that come up sometime when they're a really narrow angle, like if you hold up two fingers, you know that narrow angle between your fingers. That's that as each gets bigger, it's a place where a plant can split. And we don't like that. We'd rather plants come out at a at a wider angle. But I'm speaking generically because I can't see what you got all right, thank you, all right, thank you for the call. I appreciate that very much. Uh Nelson. Plant Food has a lot of different products, and I want to talk to you about a couple of them this time. I talk about turf Star all the line. The turf Star line all the time. They got a lot of great products. The Azalea and the it's called Azalea and all acid loving plants. It's a nutri Star comes in a jar. That's one. The other one is Vegetable Garden. Those are products. They come in a jar. You just take your little tablespoon, scoop out or whatever and sprinkle them around according to the label. Right, Vegetable Garden's got five different sources in nitrogen, so you're getting a release of nitrogen over time. You're not having to fertilize your garden ever a couple of weeks. I mean it's going to last for several months there. It's a very good product designed for the nutrient types that vegetables are going to most need. Basically, that's how it's designed. Nutri Star, Azalia and acid loving plant. That one is an acidifying fertilizer. If it's blueberries, kalladiums camellias, if you've got dogwoods or gadenas, if you got hollies, hollies or plants that appreciate a little bit of an acidic environment, hadranges of course, yes, the magnolias. There's a lot of plants we didn't have. I didn't. I didn't say az alias, but that's in the name. Those all like acidic soils and they do better in those soils. It has four different acidifying sources, and it's got a slow release nitrogen as well, so you're gonna get two or three months out of that. Nutristar azalea and acid loving plants and nutristar vegetable garden. Look for those canisters in a garden center near you. I got to take a break here. When I come back, Gene and Katie, you'll be our first step. All right, welcome back to the guarden line. We're here to help you have success with your garden. That's what you want to do, because if you have success, you're gonna have fun. And if you've got fun, you're gonna do more of it. And if you do more of it, you're gonna live along in happy life. See how that works. It does if you've got outdoor containers and you are looking for a quality soil, you look no further Jungle in flour and vegetable planting soil. Jungle and flour and vegetable planting soils from nitrophiles. It has specially blended Canadian blond peat with four different sources of aged decompose bark and I'm telling you it all.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: It also has microrise of fungi, which you know work with plant roots to help the roots take up nutrients better. And they just have a number of functions that they do to help roots. So you got an outdoor potted plant, you are going to have a happy plant, long lasting, vibrant color. You get the most is that you can out of plants when you put a mix like jungle Land from nitrofoss. When you put a mix like that in that drains well so it never soggy, too boggy, and it holds moisture so it never it's slow to dry out. Let's put it that way. You're not watering it three times a day trying to keep it going. Now, you're gonna find nitro fross products at a number of places. You go up to Cyprus, to M and D on Luetta. You're going to find them there. Langham Creek Ace Hardware five twenty nine, you're going to find them at the excuse me, all Spas ACE up in the Woodlands and Sinkle Ranch Ace. Katie Hardware Ace is another place that you're going to find those. And how about we throw one more in out there in Richmondberg Plantation Ace Hardware on three point fifty nine. The same road that in Jenny Gardens is on by the Way, which also carries these products. It's easy to find night Fast products. These are all examples of the many places you go looking for them. We're going to go now to Katie and talk to Jane Op. We're going to go there. If I push the right button. Now, let's try hello. I'm going to get one caller right today, Jane. Maybe one. I'll call it one in a row. Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 10: Thank you. I have three questions if you have time. I have a bay beef tree and a lemon tree, and I need to know what to spray them with because they get this black, sticky, gooey stuff on the leads.
Speaker 2: Okay, there are several insects that can secrete the sugary water that creates that black city mold. The blacks is not the problem. It's just growing on sugar water that the insect made. My best guess, and I'm about ninety percent year of this is the case, is that you're dealing with scale. Now, if it's can do this, white flies can do this, meatlely bugs can do this. But when you told me the trees, I bet you're dealing with scale. If you turn a lemon leaf over and look at it close, and you should see some little things they're like a fish scale and that they're flat, but they're only they're smaller than a typed lower case O in the kind of scale that's on these cent and I think that's what you're going to see. There are some other types of scale you might see under the leaf. But the way you control scale is you smother them with oil. So if you can get a spray of an oil horticultural oil oil used to spray on plants and spray it upward to coat the bottoms of the leaves. And the more coating you get, the better it's going to be. Like if you have a leaf and you spray and ninety percent of the bottom of the leaf gets oil. That ten percent is going to have life scale that are going to reproduce and refill the leaf. So one hundred percent coverage is your goal. If you can do that, you got to get turn that sprayer upside down and get under there and really work on them. But you can do it that way.
Speaker 10: Can you name a product that I can I have tried name and it didn't seem to work.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, whenever, whenever you're shopping you look for an oil, where are you located Jeane, Katie, kat Okay Katie. Well, yeah, you've got like you've got Katie's Hardware that's right there that that would be an example of one that is very close to you. And there's also an Ace Hardware and single ranch in that part of Katie. But go by there and ask them for a summer oil or a horticultural oil. And different companies make it. I mean, you know, you may find it from Fertile Home, er bo Nite or Monterey or High Yield or something. There's a lot of types out there, but they're made for coating the plants and and they're made to not burn the plants. The old time dormond oils could burn tissue when you got it on it. So you can do that. Now, that's gonna be hard, and you're gonna to do it more than once because you never get it all and you just got to watch out for it. The alternative would be to put a systemic insecticide in the soil around the plant and have it taken up by the plant, But you would have to find one that's labeled for use on an edible like a lemon tree or a bay tree. And so it works well because the roots take it up. And like if you had a lady beetle crawling around the leaves of the plant, it wouldn't get poisoned because it's not sucking out of the plant. The poison that's inside the plumbing of the plant from a systemic you see what I'm saying. So those are your two Those are your two options and ways to go about it. I hesitate. The reason I didn't start with the systemic is you know, if you've got your lemon is blooming, then that product can be present in the blooms and effect bees, and we like to try to avoid that. It's the best way to kill the bug. But it has these you know. Yeah, but you know, uh, and the oil is the safest way. But it's hard.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Those leaves on a bay tree are so stiff. It's hard. One leaf blocks the spray from getting on the leaf right above it, you know, so you spray well.
Speaker 10: When I lived in Bernie, I didn't have any problems like this. When I moved here to Katie, I developed a problem.
Speaker 2: Okay, well you'll stay with it. I one way or another. If you want to use the systemic, maybe when the lemon is not blooming or fruiting, Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I would prefer check. Yeah, I would check with ace.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the bay produces those bay trees, don't they produce enough bay leaves for the entire city of Katie, including Sincle ranch.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need a few bay leaves and you got ten thousand on a tree, So pick you a couple of branches of leaves.
Speaker 10: It would be nice to be able to sell them because bay leaves are expensive.
Speaker 2: I know they are, and you can't make gumbo without them. So what I would do, I would pick me about twenty leaves off, dry them and put them in a bag, and then you can do what you want the tree, and you don't have to harvest anymore leaves for a year far more.
Speaker 10: Okay, this other thing has baffled me for quite a few For about four years. I have a small raised bed garden and every day I collect my kitchen scraps in a container. I put them in the freezer. Then the next morning I go out to the garden, dig a hole and dump the scraps into the hole and cover the scraps up, and I keep going rotating around the garden with it. Now my question is I don't have a single worm in my guarden. I can't understand. The scraps are totally gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no worms. Well, okay, the worms that like scraps are the little red wigglers. And if you had a little place where you wanted to do that, go online and learn about what's called verma culture with a v There bins where people tear up newspaper put those red wigulars in and bury their scraps in it, and they eat it and they turn it into worm castings. You can do that kind of thing in a garden, but you got to learn a little bit about it. The nightcrawlers and things aren't as interested in those scraps. They more want to come to the surface and pull organic matter down in their tunnel. But the scraps will decompose by some of microbes, and so it's still working whether you got worms showing up or not.
Speaker 10: Oh okay, great, that's my last question. What is the best tomato for Kati area?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, twenty there's twenty different problems. Do you want to do? You want a cherry, a grape cherry, A great person. Tycoon's perfect can if you can find it. It's not easy to find, but it's an awesome tomato. The plants of Tycoon.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I bought with them.
Speaker 2: It's a good tomato.
Speaker 10: So this will be the first time that I have grown it before, all right, Prior.
Speaker 9: To that it was ye.
Speaker 10: Well, I also grow jewel yet. I love jewel yet. Yeah, and I haven't been able to find those yet.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I got a run gene. Thanks for the call. I appreciate I appreciate.
Speaker 12: That very much.
Speaker 10: Thank you. Come bye.
Speaker 2: Micro Life makes a lot of different kinds of fertilizers. They make something called humates. Plus it's a purple bag. It is a zero zero four. That's what the numbers on the label, but you're not putting it on for those. You're putting it on because it's the final decomposed stage of organic matter humus humantes. It has the the compounds in it, like humic acid and fullvic acid and things that are part of that whole microbial one world down there in the soil that builds soil structure. So when you're doing your fertilization, don't think of this like a fertilizer. You don't use it in place a fertilizer. You use it also when you fertilize or any time of the year. You don't have to wait till fertilizer season. You just put it on. It gets, it's gonna work. Its win the soil over time, and it works. It's a purple bag. It's from microlife and you need to try it out. We're going to run let's see what's our time right here. Yeah, I got a little bit time. We're going to run out to Katie and talk to Henry. Up. Hey, Henry, Henry, Welcome, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 9: Well, thank you, skip listen. I've been collecting. I have a bunch of outdoor pots full of potting soil and weeds, and I'd like to reuse that potting soil, but i'd like to I think I need to pasteurize it before I can.
Speaker 2: All right doing that, I've already done the work for you. Go to my website gardening with Skip dot com Gardening with Skip dot com on there is a publication. Click on the publications, scroll down pasteurizing soil. Basically, you're gonna take it, you're gonna moisten it, you're gonna put it in a turkey bag, one of those oven turkey bags or something like that. There's different ways to do it, and you're gonna heat it, but you need to do it to the right temperature for the right amount of time. And it's all in that in that free sheet that tells you how to do it.
Speaker 9: Oh boys, Skip, I mean I have, I got quite a pile of dirt out there with well there, okay.
Speaker 2: There there's one other option, and that is oh boy. I don't have the link to it, but it's a University of California. University of California Extension Service did something on a solarising soil and it's about solarizing soil in your garden. But there's a section where you take your pots and you stack them up on a pallet so there's air movement underneath, and you cover them with plastic in the hot sun and the middle of summer, and it heats up enough in there to pasteurize them. And that's a way to do a lot more. But you got to find the University of California publication on solarizing soil. All right, good luck with that?
Speaker 9: Can I can? I?
Speaker 4: Can?
Speaker 9: I just do like ground up, just saturated with a round up Wait for a while, now.
Speaker 2: No, that's not going to do it. There's not. Those are the only two ways without the commercial equipment to pasteurize it. I've got to run. They're about to They're about to cut me off here. Thank you very much. I appreciate you call, Henry. Good luck with that. All right, folks, turn it over to Jared here. I'll be right back. If you want to give us a call, you can dial seven one three two one two kt r H. All right, folks. Oh, it's a good day. It is a beautiful Sunday, and I hope that this afternoon you will get out, take a deep breath of fresh air and enjoy nature. I've told you this on the air before, but I actually enjoy pulling weeds. Now, if I have an acre of weeds to pull, I you know, I dread that, of course, But when I look at a little garden area and there's some weeds, I go, ah, gosh, I got weeds. And then I sit down and I use a hoe or a hand or whatever. I get rid of them, mult over them, and you just stand up and you look and it's beautiful and you see what you accomplish. There are a lot of areas in life, and some of you may be this way. You know, you go to work, you work all day, and at the end of the day, you go, what have I accomplished? What? Really? You know you've worked, but it's hard to get that gratification of seeing a visual, big difference. And I guess that's why I like to pull weats, because I can make a mess look really nice. And if you know how to use newspaper, put it about four sheet to six sheets thick. Now, I know most people are not taking the physical paper, but if you got that, throw some mult on top and you go from weeds to wonderful and like fifteen minutes, I mean it's it's it's the horticultural equivalent of sweeping the dirt under the rug. You heard it here first Arbigate and tom Ball. What a nursery. I've loved going to Arbigate for a long time. And do you know how long Arbrogate has been around twenty ninth year anniversary. They're celebrating their twenty ninth year anniversary. So go out and say happy anniversary to Beverly and the whole crew out there at the arbor Gate. When you go to Arbigate, you're gonna find lots of cool stuff. You know, they've got beautiful, beautiful flowers. One of my favorite flowers in the last ten years that I've just fell in love with has been the daisies. Now, daisies come in so many colors, not just the white daisies, you know, we're talking about certain series that have been bred with just bright colors that are so gorgeous. Also, and this is a public service announcement. Next Saturday, Saturday March eighth, at ten am for ten dollars, you can go to the Arborgate and you can listen to it. Talk on rose punting by Gay Hammett. Now let me tell you something Gay has forgotten more about roses than most people know. She's past president of Houston Rose Society. She knows everything. And this is about as good a well spent ten dollars. You have to get out there to the Arborgate and do. That's next Saturday, ten am. So they only have forty attendees. Space only space for forty because this is a you know, this isn't an auditorium type thing. This is a very intimate and personal thing where you will learn how to prune roses and you get a lot about rose answers as well. Bring a friend two eight one three five one eighty eight fifty one two eight one three five one eight eight five one. That's where you can find out more about that. And I just got to say this, why you're there, ask them to show you the deciduous magnolias, or let me put it this way, just look up and look around and you're going to see them. These things are the hottest pink with a purplish hue. They are gorgeous. They bloom when there's not a leaf on the plants. And we live in a part of Texas where you can grow deciduous magnolias. Very successfully. There's several types of them, but when you see this, you got to put one in the landscape because when spring comes, the first plant to show up with a trumpet and announced spring one of the first ones down here. If you live further north, it's a pcithia, But down here it's these decidious magnolias. They're great and you can get them at Arbrogate. By the way, where's Arbrogate? Okay, if you haven't been there, a mile and a half west of two forty nine on twenty nine to twenty out of Tumbel, just west of Tumbul, you'll see it on the left. Turn down Treshe Road which goes around Arburgate. Go in the back park there. It's a great parking lot, safe, easy access. Can you tell I like decidious magnolias were Let's see. We're going to go out to Katie now and talk to John. Hey, John, Welcome to dark Derk.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Skip.
Speaker 18: You're talking about trumpets announcing spring. My favorite one is is is there anything better than the smell of the meyer lemon flowers?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, they're intoxicating, I mean a control substance. Because I'm sure people have gotten drunk sitting by one smelling enough of it.
Speaker 13: Like gardens, I called last week about I got two avacado trees from the enchanted garden Mexicola, which is doing absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 18: It's hopefully going to be start giving some fruit soon. But then another one of Leela, which they only warranty their plants seven days out. But last week I was saying, it's uh lost half.
Speaker 12: Of its leave.
Speaker 18: Now the other half of its leaves are wilting and the sticks they're starting to turn black based on the top. So I want to get your thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: How long would you plant it?
Speaker 18: I thought it about a month ago.
Speaker 4: I've had to.
Speaker 2: Do you think it could have have you had a cold. I'm trying to remember when the coal snaps were. If you had a coal snap, we brought them inside for cold. Okay, who turning black? Other than cold, saggy, soggy, wet soil conditions that drowned the roots. I guess could be a play a role, but I don't know. You know what I would do, I would take a picture of it, and I would go back in there and explain you bought a couple of them from them and see what they think about those. They may be able to work something out with you or something on that one. If if you brought it in from the cold. I just don't know, other than wet soil, what would cause them to turn black and fall off that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 18: I talk to Connor and he says, sorry, there's nothing we can do, only guarantee plants of these.
Speaker 2: Well, and there's I understand that. I mean, you can imagine why they did that, but no advice on, no thoughts on what would have caused it.
Speaker 18: Okay, Well they said basically, good luck, we'n't glad that we got one that looks great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I understand, Well I would boy. First of all, I don't there's nothing to do for you right now. I wouldn't spray it. I wouldn't say spray it with this in sex side or fungicide or whatever. I don't think it's it's definitely not a lack of nutrients. It's eat the colder water. Somehow one of those is involved. I guess if a bunch of roots were damaged in the planting. But even at that, those are pretty tough plants. They shouldn't they shouldn't break down like that. Yeah, I don't. I don't know what else to tell you on this one.
Speaker 11: Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: No disease that I'm aware of. Okay, all right, thanks a lot, appreciate your call.
Speaker 18: All right, thank you.
Speaker 2: All right. Yeah, that was a stumper, and that that does happen sometimes. Listen, uh, Ace hardware stores are everywhere, and A stores hardware stores have everything, right, That's why their motto is ACE is the place. It doesn't tell you what it's a place for, because it's a place for everything. You know, you need plumbing, you need wiring, you need light bulbs, you need all the standard hardware stuff. Of course they got that, but they have a lot of other things. You're revamping your garage, cleaning it up. You need some binge, you need some shelving, they've got that. You need cleaning supplies for that spring cleaning we all get into each spring. They've got a wide variety of those. You need things for the outside patio, like a string of lights or maybe some barbecue supplies. Oh my gosh, just go see it. An unbelievable selection of that. And then when it comes to the yard, you hear me talk about fertilizers, They got them you hear me talk about even soils, so mixes, soill blends and mulches and things you're going to find those there tools and then things to control weeds. I talk about barricade. You know the importance of preventing weeds. Well, they got that. They talk about the post emergent things. They've got that. The things that control insects and disease, including organic products, they've got that at ACE Hardware stores. And you've got a lot of ACE hardware stores to choose from. You can you know where do you want to go? I mean, because there's going to be an Ace Hardware pretty much every where that you want to be. You know, a K and M and a task a Seeda, the Bay City Ace Hardware down in Wharton, the Wharton feed and Ace Hardware, or the Hamilton Hardware Highway six near Bear Creek are just examples of the many, many, many ACE Hardware stores that you can choose from. Time for me to take a break. I'll be right back. All right, we're bad.
Speaker 4: Folks.
Speaker 2: We got about ten to fifty minutes left in garden Line today and they've been a good day. I've enjoyed visiting with our body and talking about gardening night fass barricade. I've talked to you about it and talked to you about it and talk to you about it. If you're going to prevent warm seasoned weeds, you need to do it before the weed sprout. It's much easier to prevent a weed than to kill a weed that's existing. Barricade is watered in with a half inch of water. Don't forget to water it in. That activates it. Otherwise it can't work if you don't get in the soil. Half inch of water puts it in the soil where when a weed sprouts for about sixty days, it's to prevent that weed from coming up. Depends on the weather and conditions. It could be a little longer, little short, or whatever, but about sixty days is the amount of protection it's going to give you. So if you got things that sprout all through the summertime, you like grass burrs and things are constantly out there sprouting, well, you may need to redo it in about sixty days, but for right now, do it. Follow the label very carefully. The label is your key to success. If you go out and be the lawn ranger and weigh it well, let the buyer. Beware, you should not do that. Should not do that. Labels. I don't care what the product is, always follow the label. That is very important. Barricade works grassy weeds, broad leaf weeds. It prevents them. It works well, and you're going to find it in a lot of places like nitrofoss products. For example, in Memorial a Memorial Drive, Ace Hardware, City Ospostion, the woodlands on Kerkandalt. I mentioned that one before hiding and feed on Stuben or airline, go down to one of the Mini Fishers hardware. There's one in Pasadena on the port, when in Mount Bellevue, when in Baytown. Those are all examples of places where you can find nitrofoss products like the s barricade. We're gonna got the phones now and talk to Nancy. Hello, Nancy, I.
Speaker 19: Did you get my emails?
Speaker 6: Do you get my pap?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 2: Let me look, I'll have to check that out. I don't know now, Nancy. I got to ask you first. It says you're from Flint. Are you calling from Flint?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 19: Yes, we talked to them my watermelons in a while back right in between Palestine and Tyler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, just south the tyler. Yeah, I know you don't get the radio signal up there.
Speaker 19: Well, you know, I haven't tried.
Speaker 2: I just do with the app Okay, always have.
Speaker 19: I've been listening for thirty years.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. Hey, I'm looking at your pictures. What's your question?
Speaker 19: Okay, the the three palms that look horrible you're outside. We set them on the front porch. Well, we put them inside to where you have a pool table and just let them in there. And they were doing fine. And I took them out about two days after the last freeze up here. It gets a lot colder here than it does even with the say, because we're on the lake, and put them, put them outside, and then they they've been gorgeous plants, and all three of them look like that.
Speaker 5: Should I should I cut it?
Speaker 2: It's cold, it's cold damage. And what remains to be seen, Nancy, is whether the stems were killed and these uh palms and yeah, palm you have drsina uh. And I'm trying to look at all those things like that. But like on the dsina, I think I see a little green growth coming out of the top of one of those stems. So the leaves that are brown and the leaves that have just kind of gotten almost a gray brown green, dark color, water soaked. Look, uh, those are all gone, but I would just wait, Let's wait, let's watch them, and the tree will tell you if it's going to make it or not. If it's round, you might as well clip it out. It's not coming back to life. But hopefully the damage wasn't too extensive. And as I'm looking at the plants the way the leaves covered some of them, I think you're going to be Okay, what was your other question?
Speaker 10: Okay? The other one was okay.
Speaker 19: And then I had a picture of my lemon and my plum, which those were in my sunroom. Yes, and I'm just asking that those look pretty healthy. And then the other picture was a picture of my raised garden outside the sun room. Can I plant I'm going to do water on tomatoes a get out there, but I'm not going to go crazy. I can I do an avocado tree in that avocado garden or any any kind of.
Speaker 6: A fruit tree.
Speaker 2: You are so far north that I wouldn't even try an avocado. I mean, unless you wanted to build a giant greenhouse over the thing. You're not going to have success with that.
Speaker 19: Yeah, it does have to where you can cover it. But I'm not going to What fruit tree could I put out there instead of having it in a pot?
Speaker 2: Well, that area looks partially shady. How much sun does it get?
Speaker 19: It gets a biled sixty, you know, all day long because it's only okay, And the thing isn't that it's electrical pants surround it. So I can keep my dear from getting into it. I just planted in wheels on the property, okay, dear.
Speaker 2: Will Yeah, So you've got a couple of options, do you. Since you liked a garden in that spot, I hate to have a big tree that's shading the whole area. But how about how about a raspberry a rabbit eye. I've served raspberry, forget I said that. A blueberry? Okay, rabbit I blueberries. You need a type that's called a rabbit eye, and you need to get two different varieties. There's one. There's a number of varieties. There's one called bright blue, there's one called climax, there's one. There's just a bunch of them. But get two different ones and plant too. If you want to plant more than two, you can, but you need two different varieties for cross pollination. Tiff blue is another rabbit EI blueberry. They need high quality water.
Speaker 19: So yeah, okay, I absolutely love blueberries and i's a great and I have had strawberries and yeah, all kinds of other things out there, so that that is great.
Speaker 2: Drawback on blueberries is just going to be water quality and so a pH. Okay, so you want to use acidic fertilizers.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: And you know you'll see if you see yellow growth on the new growth that the pH is too high. You got to get it down a little bit more. Okay, but that would fit that spot really well. They'll put up with a little bit of shade and do okay. Fruit doesn't like to be in shade, but blueberries will do okay with a little bit.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 19: Okay, Hey, that that sounds great. And it is a beautiful day, and thanks for everything you do, and everybody go out there and make some beautiful memories.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: Well more. You know, I don't know if if you listen to Guardline you've heard me say this, but I expect half the produce from these blueberries to be delivered to the station. Now look for you to drive three and a half hours that's not a problem to fulfill a promise, right, So right, yes, there you go. Put the onus on me. Hey, I'm joking with you. Thanks for the call, Thanks for being listener. Tell your neighbors and Tyler to listen.
Speaker 10: In I constant.
Speaker 2: All right, you take care. We've got to have a little bit of fun here. If you want to get out this afternoon, especially if you're around in the Houston area, you got to swing over by Buchanans Native Plants. I absolutely love that place. Every time I go, I see something I haven't seen before, and I want to tell you it is Buchanan's Native Plants. Now, does that mean they have only natives. No, they have more plants than you can imagine. But when you go to Buchan's Naty Plants, you're going to find a selection in they It's like nowhere in the greater Houston area. It is unbelievable all that they have. They're always featuring different native plants. If you sign up for their newsletter, which you should do, there's a lot of good information and things that pay back, you'll see a lot. And in fact, this week they featured Maximilian sunflower that is a late summer fall, blooming sunflower that blooms on tall stalks, I mean like six foot high stalks. And it's a perennial planet. Once find a wet spot, it'll love that, Maximilian. That's just an example of the bazillion of things that they have up there at Buchanan's Native Planet. It's a fun place to shop. It's on eleven Street on the Heights. The website, please write it down, Buchanansplants dot com. Buchanansplants dot com. That website. You can sign up for the newsletter. You need to do that, you really do. But there are videos that are educational. There's web pages that you read that are educational. It is a really really good site with all a lot of good information. When you walk in there, you're talking to people that have been doing this for a very long time. They know their stuff. And when you're out looking at plants, swing in the gift shop, it is unbelievable. It's really cool and oh why you're there. You remember brown stuff before green stuff. Well, they've got products from Microlife, a full line liquid solid granulars. They have products from Nitrofos, products from Nelson plant Food Products, from heirloom soils. They have their own all purpose blends called Life Below and Tropicore. You just ask them about that. Bucuntis NATed plants. We're going to run out to Katie now and talk to Logan. Hello, Logan, Hi, how's it going well. I'm doing well. I actually took a call the right way, so we got right to it. We got about forty five seconds. Let's see if we can help you.
Speaker 12: I got brown patch in my yard.
Speaker 9: What can I use to get rid of it?
Speaker 2: At this stage? If the circles are there, you're not going to make them green with the spray. Sprays prevent it, so I would say, don't worry about it. It's going to go away. The weather's going to heat up, the grass is going to regreen in those circles, and be ready to deal with it next fall because it'll be back next fall. My schedule on my schedule online at gardening with Skip dot com tells you right when to treat. And I know now is the time you can treat, but I'm just telling you you're not going to gain enough this late in the game probably to be worth treating now.
Speaker 4: Okay, so just to weed and feed and let it green.
Speaker 2: Up on its own. Uh yeah yeah yeah, don't worry about the brown patch. And now thanks for the call man,