Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. There was one on Saturday. Now there's another one this morning.
Speaker 2: This one was I think they revised it to under a three point zero so it fell off the radio.
Speaker 1: Do we have a location and a wellness check on Deborah Mark?
Speaker 3: I don't have either one of those actually.
Speaker 4: So I know what I will text her right now.
Speaker 2: There was another there was another earthquake in Texas. Though there's a two point four magnitude quake in Texas a short time ago.
Speaker 3: It's going on in Texas. Well.
Speaker 1: Yesterday I was in Pittsburgh and it was eighty three degrees and the humidity was.
Speaker 4: About seventy percent.
Speaker 1: Oh really, and so I just sat and sweated in the sun for.
Speaker 4: Like five hours.
Speaker 1: It was awful, and it just were all baking.
Speaker 4: Under the sun, the slight.
Speaker 1: Once in a while, God was blessed us with a breeze, but they were few and far between. Just start, we're in sauna suits, and then you know, you're sitting in the bus for an hour getting to the plane, and then you sit in the plane for five and a half hours, and then the bus again. I took a shower, and then I took a bath, and then I took another shower. And you still and I still feel gamey. So I apologize in advance, but I think I'm clean.
Speaker 3: It's fine. Well, welcome back to civilization.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It feels so good to be home, sleeping in your own bed. I feel like I know what it's like to be homeless.
Speaker 2: You got kudos, by the way for the you didn't do it, but the quality of your studio in Charlotte. Oh, because I tell people, oh, yeah, she's in Charlotte this week, and they go Charlotte, North Carolina. Right, she sounds like she's right there. Yeah, that's good, so very good, very positive.
Speaker 3: Good for I.
Speaker 2: Congratulations to the I Heart engineers. We put it all together. World War three is coming and we're getting closer to it. There was an article that I pointed that I saw today that I wanted to talk about in swamp Watch. Unseerious candidates in a seriously dangerous world. Just a takedown of both sides. Right, why are you talking about the idiotic things or why are you ignoring.
Speaker 3: The biggest issues in the entire world right.
Speaker 1: Now, A really good point that I had not crystallized in my head. But just this morning I saw a link about Trump and his ever unattached campaign, chaotic campaign that he's been running with the conspiracy theories and all of the things that just aren't real. And then Kamala Harris just ditching out of things left and right because what does she have to lose by just staying silent? And I'm thinking we've gotten to this level of these are just figures. They're not real people. They're just like whatever is sold on them, and we're buying into that. And unserious is the perfect description such word.
Speaker 3: All Right.
Speaker 2: So, the guy who was charged in the second attempt on President Trump's life had written a letter, and we now know the district court filing that came out. We talk about the box that he left for a neighbor. Apparently dropped a box off at a friend's house a few months ago. Law enforcement was contacted by this guy back on the eighteenth, who said that Ryan Routh, the alleged would be shooter, dropped off this box and he opened the box after he learned about the assassination attempt or plan at Trump International golf course. And what he found in the box? Why would you not open the box? But if somebody drops off a box, you just keep it.
Speaker 4: What's in the box?
Speaker 2: What's in the box? Ammunition, four phones, and various letters. And one of the letters, if you don't mind, I'm going to read it to you.
Speaker 3: It was addressed to the world, dear world, This was an assassination attempt on Donald Trump. But I am so sorry I failed you now time out.
Speaker 4: How did he know he was going to fail?
Speaker 2: Was this letter? First of all? Was it actually given to the neighbor months ago? Was it a plot that had he had tried somewhere else? Yes, didn't and didn't fulfill it. That's what I take from it.
Speaker 3: Was it and months ago?
Speaker 2: Was it after the first assassination attempt? Could this guy have possibly had any connection to Butler Pennsylvania?
Speaker 1: Maybe we should not tell people to get involved in what's going on in the world and what's going in politics, because if the people getting involved are basement dwellers that are armed to the tilt, this could be a problem. He said, he ended relations with Iron like a child, and now the Middle East has unraveled. I might like that guy to stick to candy crush.
Speaker 2: He said, I tried my best, and I gave it all the gumption I could muster. It is up to you now to finish the job, and I will offer one hundred and fifty thousand dollars to whoever can complete the job. Everyone across the globe, from the youngest to the oldest, knows.
Speaker 3: That knows. I'm trying to read this.
Speaker 2: Oh, that Trump is unfit to be anything much less a US president. US presidents must, at bare minimum embody the moral fabric that is America and be kind, caring, and selfless and always stand up for humanity.
Speaker 1: That sounds beautiful at the end there, How much did he offer? One hundred and fifty grand?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Wow, this guy's sitting on one hundred and fifty grand.
Speaker 3: No, No, he's just offering it.
Speaker 4: Oh, he doesn't have it.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's got it or if it's just deploy.
Speaker 4: Why would you make the offer.
Speaker 2: They also said that they found in his Nissan that he jumped into after the Secret Service started shooting at him. He jumped into and took off. They found six cell phones. One of those contained a Google search on how to travel from Palm Beach County, Florida to Mexico. They said that they also found several license plates. Cell Cite records from two of the phones revealed that this guy had traveled from Greensboro, North Carolina, to West Palm Beach on August fourteenth, and on multiple days and times from August eighteenth Toeptember fifteenth, he was at or near Trump International Golf Course and mar A Lago.
Speaker 3: Twelve pairs of gloves they found in this guy's truck.
Speaker 4: Not a proctologist.
Speaker 2: Not a proctologist. A Hawaii driver's license. We know that he was from Hawaii. One of the documents was a handwritten list of dates in August, September, and October and venues where Trump had either appeared or was expected to appear.
Speaker 1: Well, sometimes paranoid people like to wear gloves a lot. You've seen these people from time to time, whether it's at the gas station or what have you have those disposable gloves in their cars.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We will not have a government shut down, at least not yet. Congressional leaders announced yesterday a short term spending bill that's going to fund federal agencies for about three months. Among the ad ons would be two hundred and thirty one million dollars included to bolster the Secret Service after a couple.
Speaker 3: Of assassination attempts.
Speaker 2: A quick update on some pretty reputable polls. New York Times, seeing a College poll, looked at a few ground states Trump has gained to has widened, I should say, to a five percentage point lead in Arizona. He's still about four points ahead in Georgia. Those are two states that he lost to Biden four years ago. But in North Carolina, which has not voted for a Democrats in two thousand and eight, Vice President Harris trails Trump by two points.
Speaker 3: So he leads in those three battleground states.
Speaker 1: HESBLA fired over one hundred rockets early yesterday across northern Israel. Israel launching hundreds of strikes on Lebanon. Hesbalah leader has declared an open ended battle, and both sides appear to be spiraling toward in all out war.
Speaker 2: Hesblah been launching rockets into Israel almost NonStop, especially since October seventh.
Speaker 4: I feel like the.
Speaker 1: Scale was wider over the weekend. In response, the US military sending a small number of US military personnel forward.
Speaker 4: Very vague the way they put.
Speaker 1: Isn't it to the Middle East to augment the forces already in the area. According to Pentagon Press Secretary Major General Patrick Ryder, he said today, in light of the increased tensions in the Middle East and out, and of an abundance of caution, we're sending a small number of US military personnel to augment our forces, but for operational security reasons. I'm not going to comment further.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And to give you an idea of the Israeli air strikes killed, they said two hundred and seventy four people in Lebanon. In really what has become the largest barrage of aerial attacks since the two thousand and six war. Has the law in response, launched more than one hundred rockets towards Israel today, reaching deep into Israel around the northern city of Haifa, parts of the occupied West Bank. Again over one hundred. All of the missiles were intercepted. Two people were lightly injured in Israel from falling shrapnel. A number of homes did suffer direct hits, but they have not yet said if those injuries to the people were very serious.
Speaker 1: What does Iran say, Well, they say Israel should be ready for dangerous consequences Following these strikes, The strongly condemned the Israeli airstrikes, describing them as simply crazy. Also went after us and our support of Israel.
Speaker 3: Well, that's it. That's a two. Not a surprise there.
Speaker 2: The Israeli military said it hit three hundred targets, said it was going specifically after Hesbala weapons sites. Some strikes hit in some residential areas. One strike did hit a wooded area as far away as Biblos in the central part of Lebanon that's about eighty miles from the border north of Beirut and has Blas as it fired the dozens of rockets at an Israeli military post in Galilee and also targeted facilities at the Raphael Defense firm headquartered in Haifa. As Israel was carrying out the attacks, authorities reported a series of air raid sirens in northern Israel to warn of those rockets that were coming in from Lebanon.
Speaker 1: Looking at video and pictures of these explosions, I mean, it just looks like residential areas.
Speaker 4: It does look like an all out war.
Speaker 2: Well, and the I guess the thing is, I don't know if it's just a weird aspect of all of this, Israel warns people we're gonna bomb the absolute living tar out of this neighborhood or this apartment complex, or that we are going to target that because we're going after one specific guy. And Israel's Prime minister has been telling people to get out to evacuate their homes. Take this warning seriously. He issued the warning, did Benjamin Etna, who in a videotaped message said it was aimed specifically to Lebanese civilians. The warplanes were already in the air when it happened, but Israel ordered residents in the area to leave ahead of the air strikes and said, we know that Hazblah uses you uses civilians to hide weapons and things, right.
Speaker 1: And I don't know enough to know how a pervasive Hesbela sites are.
Speaker 4: Are they everywhere? Are there just a few locations?
Speaker 1: You know? I mean, how hard is it for civilians to move away from all Hesbela sites? They say the schools are serving as shelters there, but we've seen we've seen that happen before where terrorist groups use the schools to operate out.
Speaker 2: Of h three hundred targets. So that's pretty much everywhere. I think yep, it's what.
Speaker 4: They Well, that's nearly impossible then to move away from those entirely.
Speaker 2: So there was a very large scale shooting in Birmingham, Alabama over the weekend.
Speaker 4: This is odd.
Speaker 1: Now it's described as being a targeted hit on one of the people at this nightlife spot there. I mean, we've seen these nightclub shootings before, where much more people collateral damage is extensive gang war, gang.
Speaker 3: War from some fight between groups.
Speaker 2: But in this case, you're right, it seems like it may have been one, one specific person was the target.
Speaker 4: Okay, ye, so listen, we've been away for a week.
Speaker 3: You know, we should set up an iPad so we can see each other.
Speaker 4: No, I do not need you to see this.
Speaker 2: Kmart is closing its last full size store in the United States in a couple of weeks. Wow Amart located in Bridgehampton, New York, down on the South Fork along Island.
Speaker 3: It's going to close his doors for good. October twentieth, we.
Speaker 1: Got an update on the shooting we talked about last week. This was the shooting of the judge, the sole judge in a county in Kentucky, and it was the local sheriff that shot and killed him. Now we're hearing that the two have been friends for years. They were once married to a pair of sisters. We're getting all the sort of details, so we'll get into that later in the show.
Speaker 3: Also, remember that super yacht that sank off the coast of Italy. I believe it was.
Speaker 1: Yes, a bunch of people with money on board at look suspicious.
Speaker 2: And it got more suspicious because they believe that there's a safe on board that yacht that may contain very highly sensitive intelligence Informationally fascinating.
Speaker 4: I'll watch that movie totally.
Speaker 5: Hey, good morning guys. Great to hear you back in town. Shannon. And the last two games I watched with the Chargers, there was a little cameo with you walking by the camera in the background. Anyway, if you look good on TV too, talk you later by Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of our friends sent me that, Aaron, And it's when Justin is I shouldn't laugh. It's when Justin's hobbling to the sideline and collapsing and I'm like following close behind, and I said, yeah, live look in at me wanting to get up, and close to the end of the season, I go, man.
Speaker 4: That was a run.
Speaker 1: I mean all the best players, I mean some of the best players. When you look at where these games are fought, especially against the Pittsburgh Steelers, ere in the trenches, and to be down Joey Bosa on the edge, to be down Joe Alt and Rashaun Slater guarding Justin, to have Justin go down, it was just worst case scenario.
Speaker 2: I heard at one point Matt say something like, are there two players in the in the injury tent?
Speaker 3: Like that?
Speaker 2: There were mult there were so many people going in there. At one point there was There was also this by.
Speaker 5: Gary Shandon's so glad that you guys are back together in the studio, But it never sounded like Shannon ever left.
Speaker 6: It's amazing what you guys can do.
Speaker 5: I just gotta say, Channon twenty four, twenty.
Speaker 1: Seven, Yeah, okay, all right, all right, yeah, take the victory lap.
Speaker 4: Take it.
Speaker 1: Here's another case that happens in my life. The forty nine Ers were down their best players, their best offensive weapons. No Debo, no Christian McCaffrey, no George kittle Brock. Perty was legit man. He looked legit and he and he did not take the blame for that drop.
Speaker 4: In the end, zone.
Speaker 3: Well he shouldn't.
Speaker 1: But also, y'all were wrong about the vikings. Yes, and that's all I'm going to say. Yes, I'm gonna be like Donald Trump and say I'll talk about it one time and then bring it up for the rest of the year every.
Speaker 3: Opportunity that you get.
Speaker 2: Okay, A shooting Saturday night in the five point South entertainment district in Birmingham, Alabama, just about eleven o'clock that night, restaurants, bars, I mean, big cities like this. It's not a giant city, but bigger cities like this do have these kind of entertainment districts. I think of Nashville's Broadway or the gas Land quarter down in San Diego, mass shooting, they said in a crowded weekend sidewalk night, unnerved residents. City officials are trying to figure out how to solve this and address this bigger problem that they have of gun violence. And they say four people were killed, seventeen others injured when multiple shooters started shooting, and what police described as a targeted hit on either on one of the people that was killed in the night they're at the nightclub.
Speaker 1: I'm not trying to be cute, but this was overkill. If there was one person targeted and as murder for hire and multiple shooters start firing, that's too much. Approximately one hundred shell casing is recovered at the scene. Now there is a difference for me when it and I don't know if there is when you define this legally, but there's a difference for me between a mass shooting and a targeted murder for hire. A mass shooting, to me denotes that somebody is out there trying to take out as many people as possible. A murder for hire is one target and a bunch of collateral damage. I don't know if it matters, but that's my delineation.
Speaker 3: Well, what matters.
Speaker 2: What's different about it is the motivation behind it in the first place, and the potential for it to be repeated.
Speaker 3: I think. Police officers said they found two men and a woman on a sidewalk, gunshot wounds. They were pronounced dead.
Speaker 2: They are another old gunshot victim pronounced dead at the hospital and by early Sunday, after people started showing up to the hospitals themselves, taking themselves, et cetera, they identified seventeen people with injuries, some of them life threatening. Four of those surviving victims conditions ranged from good to critical, treated at University of Alabama Birmingham Hospital. One of the witnesses, a twenty four year old, said he was in a long line of people waiting to get into a club when all of a sudden, gunshots were everywhere. Police set approximately one hundred shell casings recovered at the scene. Law enforcement working to figure out which kind of weapons were used, but that they do believe some of them were fully automatic.
Speaker 3: Those are illegal.
Speaker 2: Generally, it's impossible to get those in the United States, but it's not impossible if you're a bad guy willing to do bad things to people. A twenty two year old BioMed engineering student lives nearby, was working on a school brought project heard the burst of shots, said it sounded like automatic gunfire. Said I heard it, looked out my window and immediately saw people running away, fleeing the scene. The Birmingham mayor is asking state and federal officials to give the cities more tools to address gun violence, but both hands behind his back to illustrate what it's like for cities to combat crime. Alabama last year abolished the requirement to get a permit to carry a concealed handgun in public. But again, that's not what this is. This is not just people walking around with handguns in public. This is people willing to kill others for a price.
Speaker 4: I'm going to have to proofread this and just bring you the.
Speaker 2: Highlights, like a copied said Xerox magazine.
Speaker 1: It's a well researched letter, so I'll have to it's a little meaty. Hey did you hear about this new study Australia that travel itself can keep you young, That the positive experiences associated with trips, the social interactions, the mental stimulation, the physical activity can delay the aging process. Kind of makes sense. It keeps the brain moving. They say, it's not just about leisure and recreation. Tourism plays an important role in individual health and public health.
Speaker 3: Well, if you go, especially if you go to a place that's new to you, right, you're constantly stimulating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't need your cell phone to play candy Crush. You're learning new things, new cultures, new way of doing things.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I felt felt that after I came back from Tennessee, like there was because it was such a different place, and I was joking, I was thinking about this.
Speaker 3: This weekend.
Speaker 2: How different the stores are just in different places that you go. And I know internationally obviously that it's it's kind of a goofy thing to say out loud.
Speaker 3: Oh, they have different products in their stores.
Speaker 2: But one of the thing things that I found in a in the grocery store beer ale in Tennessee was hard mountain dew, oh like mountain dew seltzers, like of a five percent alcohol content kind of mountain dew.
Speaker 3: And I can't find that in California. I didn't buy. I didn't buy any in Tennessee because I had to buy a twelve pack.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I want to see you on a hard mountain.
Speaker 2: Hard mountain do you can't find that anywhere outside of Appalachia.
Speaker 3: Apparently I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: Appalasia is a fun, fun area, isn't it.
Speaker 3: What's great is it goes all the way to Maine.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And May never gets the credit for having hill people the way that places like Tennessee and Kentucky and Virginias do.
Speaker 3: But it's time for terroring this guy.
Speaker 4: Fike is zero and ire York are to day.
Speaker 6: Roger, get off my.
Speaker 3: Plane, Roger Rogers putzar vector Victor no is Eno I have had with these multy pipe snakes.
Speaker 4: Own this money.
Speaker 3: It's Gary and Shannon's terror in the skies on KFI.
Speaker 2: We'll start with a local one and this was a tragedy. A pilot was killed after a couple of small engine planes collided in midair.
Speaker 3: But they believe over.
Speaker 2: A landcaster yesterday two older retro airplanes. I guess you could call them a YAK fifty two and a CJ six A.
Speaker 3: The YAK fifty two.
Speaker 2: Is a single engine plane designed in the seventies in the Soviet Union. The CJ six A was originally produced for the Chinese military back in the sixties. They're both known to be used in aerobatic shows. But they collided, one pilot aboard each plane. One of the pilots was killed yesterday afternoon. That's not uplifting, nope.
Speaker 1: A Scandinavian airline spokesperson says a rat a mouse jumped out of a passenger's airplane. Meal like those aren't precarious at best. Anyway, you don't know what you're getting in there. That it posed a safety risk because there was oslo to Spain, they is she the passenger opened or in flight meal in the live mouse just scampered out.
Speaker 3: Did they ever catch the mouse?
Speaker 1: They made an emergency landing for this mouse, which I think is overkill. Just catch the mouse, put it in a bag, and continue your flight. Well, I guess if it's a disease carrying mouse and then that spreads, and then that's liability, I.
Speaker 3: Suppose, silly wability.
Speaker 2: Jet Blue Flight had to make an emergency landing because of a smoke alert cross country flight from JFK destined for San Diego. They diverted it to Salina, Kansas over what ultimately was a false alarm. The Jet Blue pilots received an alert that there might have been smoke in the cargo hold, so they went. They said the plane dropped thirty thousand feet in less than ten minutes. You know that a little funny feeling that you get about forty minutes out of out of landing when you're out there and they say we're we're going to start our descent here and the plane just barely.
Speaker 4: Just tips, just just a tiny.
Speaker 3: Bit, and you go, oh, I felt that.
Speaker 2: Yes, that usually takes forty minutes for you to go from you know, a cruising altitude thirty five thousand feet or whatever to wheels down.
Speaker 3: This took them ten minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is a little terrifying.
Speaker 2: You can tell it's going a little faster you're used to. There was no smoke. There was just a bad alarm.
Speaker 1: So last night on the plane, I was so tired and I really wanted to recline my seat. I just felt like three inches back and I have a pillow and it would make all the difference from being upright. But I didn't do it because I am a firm believer in not reclining my seat, especially being five three or whatever I am. And the dude behind me is, you know, six feet six eight three fifty feeling silly about it.
Speaker 3: Well, I I.
Speaker 2: Don't sleep well on planes. I know some people like conk out of me. I've never been able to sleep well on planes. Yeah, but I cannot imagine that that you said three inches.
Speaker 3: I think that's generous.
Speaker 2: That two and a quarter inches of recline up at the top of the seat is going to make any difference in your ability to sleep well.
Speaker 1: The seat reclining etiquette has long been a debate, but an argument between three passengers and China escalated into xenophobic insults.
Speaker 3: Do you have an account on Jaohangshu?
Speaker 4: No? What is that like Snapchat?
Speaker 3: It's like Instagram?
Speaker 4: Instagram?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 2: In China, Chunghanngshu, a passenger from mainland China, wrote, the lady sitting behind me asked me to put my seat up because it was blocking her husband's view of the TV. I politely declined, and she started stretching her feet onto my armrest, kicking my arm and cursing at me like crazy. A flight attendant attempted to intervene by suggesting that the woman raised her seat, but the situation got worse when the woman wouldn't budge.
Speaker 1: When the passenger realized my Cantonese wasn't so great, she started throwing around some nasty comments, calling me a girl oh and other derogatory stuff. Of course, people from Hong Kong mainly speak Cantonese. Those from mainland China speak Mandarin, so it's an insult.
Speaker 4: It's like you country bumpkin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we're the ones who are racially divisive in this country. Once I started recording, the husband behind me even shoved his hand on my arm rest and started shaking it like crazy. I felt my personal space had been completely violated.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, man, the Asians, there's a whole hierarchy where they fight over the order, whether it's the Japanese, the Chinese, the Koreans, theat I mean, there's a whole fight over what the number one is. And don't get my husband and Joquan into a room together because that gets ugly real quick.
Speaker 2: Other passengers started to intervene. One female voice, you're old enough. Why are you bullying a young girl? And others chimed in in Cantonese, saying you're embarrassing us Hong kongers.
Speaker 1: Stop saying that you're from Hong Kong. This is like Petaluma versus Nevado, is it? Well, remember when your mom called me those one of those Maringe girls. Well, she said, those Meringue girls are always such potty mouths.
Speaker 3: They It's true.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of people from Petaluma and Santa Rosa that make me seem very demure, demure.
Speaker 6: Welcome back, Shannon to the Gary and Shannon Show. Shannon, I'm glad you enjoyed your time in my hometown of Pittsburgh and saw my Stillers beat your chargers. AnyWho, Shannon does a much better job setting up her third studio than Handel does because you could hear handle slurping and sniffing and coughing and burping.
Speaker 3: Good god, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for not slurping and coffin and burping and sniff I will say this.
Speaker 1: I know people do their show in different parts of the different areas, different studios regularly.
Speaker 4: People here do it.
Speaker 1: We've done it before, or football or COVID or whatever. There's a definite, in my opinion, a definite drop off. Yeah, and it's enough to where it annoys me to where I want to minimize our time not here together in the same room.
Speaker 2: Which is funny because, like I said, you got compliments. Everybody was very They didn't hear it the way we hear it, I think, and that's probably what it is, right, So but that's it was all nice stuff, all right up next, Good lord? Is there nothing else going on in this state?
Speaker 4: I actually kind of like this band.
Speaker 2: Well it's one of those bands that it's a ban of something that never should have happened in the first place.
Speaker 3: But plastic bag ban. Good job, Gaff. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app