Speaker 1: Broadcasting from Studio A here at proven Winns Color Choice Shrubs. It's time for the Gardening Simplified podcast, radio and YouTube show with Stacy Hervella me Rick Weisten, our engineer and producer Adrianna Robinson. Today, Stacey, we talk about the color white, a versatile neutral color and I think arguably designed to be best appreciated at night or at twilight. There's a reason right now that moon gardens are so popular, and moon gardens, of course will make use of white flowers, gray, silvery cast foliage. But then again, I'm a guy who loves the moon at night shooting pictures of the moon. I just find it so fascinating because I'm an Apollo age boy. I grew up in the sixties during the Apollo Space Program and drank a lot of tang and that kind of thing. But that's another story. So white flowers can also attract nighttime pollinators and are perfect for your landscape because, well, you've been working all day, you come home at night, the sun starts to set. You want to be able to enjoy your landscape some of the flowers without getting into your what was it moss rows? Analogy? You're not really into them, right, Yes, that's true, because they've all closed up the.
Speaker 2: Nothing to enjoy there.
Speaker 1: But white flowers are just so classic and so elegant in the landscape. I think about the smooth high ranges flopping over, just gorgeous, full of flower on Cape Cod where they have the clap boarder cedar shake shingles on the house, and then there they have the white trim on these homes, and then those gorgeous white high dranges. Stacy. White should not be an overlooked color in your landscape when you're looking at flowers.
Speaker 3: No, not by a long shot. And you know, I think there's a lot that's said. You read articles, oh plants and mood garden. White is so amazing at night in the garden, and it's something that you, I don't think can fully appreciate until you experience it. And I have a magnolia I've talked about it on the show before. Was near death when we moved into our house because of a walnut and a whole bunch of other things. And we change the way that the water drains off our roof, and now it gets water. The walnut's gone, and this thing has just made a stunning comeback.
Speaker 2: It's huge.
Speaker 3: It was absolutely covered in flowers this year, so magnolia stillata, so it has white flowers. And every morning when I would go to make my breakfast before work, it was just the most ethereal gloe lowing blue in the morning light, and it's so hard like it's one of those things you could take a picture which you can never fully capture what that looks and feels like. And this is the kind of thing that, Yeah, once you have experienced that, you're like, I want that at my house right now.
Speaker 2: And you know you don't have to go.
Speaker 3: Full on, you know. Vita Sackville West. Vita Sackville West is an English gardener who famously designed a white garden and kind of popularized this entire idea. And if you ever go to Longwood Gardens, they have a white garden designed using her principles.
Speaker 2: So you don't have to go full on.
Speaker 3: You don't have to make everything in your garden white if you love all of that different color, but some white will really make a huge difference in white flowers, white foliage, silvery foliage will definitely make a difference in your garden. And you know, you can just start with a little bit, and the next thing you know, you're going to be addicted and want to add a whole bunch more.
Speaker 1: You know that. That makes me think of years ago, before air conditioning was invented. They would have get togethers. They would have meetings, often underneath trees in the evening hours when it's cooler or in the shade. That's how Wall Street started in New York. It was underneath a tree. Thomas Jefferson would have cabinet meetings underneath trees in the shade. And so you think about that, being able to enjoy your landscape in your garden in the cool of the evening hours, and white flowers really put the exclamation point on an area like that. White is a popular car color. Also, by the way, get better resale value if your car is white.
Speaker 2: My first car was white.
Speaker 3: It did not have resale value by the end of me being done with it as a sixteen year old.
Speaker 1: But yes, and reflex of course heat also. But white very popular, very versatile, and considered a neutral color. Also if you use it in your landscape, if you can find an area where you can provide a black back, maybe it's a fence, maybe it's a shed done in white trim that is stunning. And then don't forget a white bench or white pots in the landscape. Many times people will overlook white let's say white ceramic pots. They're ideal for putting combinations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you never have to stick to the same color combination every single year. You can totally reimagine everything, you know, Like my containers tend to go onto the hot side. I have a lot of like orange, bright orange, which I love, but it does kind of limit me somewhat correct where. Yeah, I have one white that I love. Every single year, I'm like, I wish I had more of this because it's so versatile.
Speaker 1: Of course, also when you're using a lot of white in the landscape or white plants, I recommend you look at texture and leaf size. You want variation in varieties of plants, leaf size and texture, because if you don't get that, then too much white can become just a real mess. And so using it maybe somewhat judiciously in the landscape would not be a bad idea, But it's great for combining with other plants. For color, I love the white combination color with lime, green or yellow. I think about the white and yellow daffodils, for example, so gorgeous. A pink and white combination is beautiful in the landscape. You think of all the wonderful panicle hydranges. We talked about wougilla last week, but also I think an annual super beina pink cashmere verbina. Wow, and that plant naturally uses that combination of white and pink in the landscape. I like that combination, Stacy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it too. With a little bit of like purply blue in there and it just kind of white is a great blender. You know, if you have two colors and you're not really sure how you're going to kind of make the transition from one to the other, just throw some white stuff in there, something like a sweet alyssum, even though it's very small, so some of that around and it just kind of helps to knit everything together.
Speaker 1: Add some silvery foliage. Of course, the combination of white and blue is great to make an area feel cooler. And Stacey, I planted one of the white reminiscent roses in my landscape. Talk about a classic just classy style and design to that plant with that white color. It's one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: Oh and great fragrance to you on that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I have to give you a limerick on the color white. But you've got a bear in mind here, folks, that here in Michigan. So we live in West Michigan, and I got eighty inches of snow at my house last winter, just north of us, and sue Saint Marie they got a hundred ninety eight inches.
Speaker 3: Well that's a fair bit north of us, not fear north of us, but it's still in mission. It is, it is. I'm glad we did not get that much.
Speaker 1: The snow started falling in November. We got thunder snow in December. We got snow twenty seven out of the thirty one days in January this past year. The snow continued in March and then April. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to whine here, but I'm just not into snow. So I thought, okay, my white limb a rick because you know, snow white was befriended by woodland animals. You know, in my landscape, the woodland animals eat my landscapes. So maybe if you look at the seven dwarfs, I'm grumpy. I don't know I find snow to be such a bummer makes my fingers and toes painfully number. So you'll just have to pardon that. I love white in my garden as long as it's spring or summer, springs arrive to be of good cheer. Still don't like snow to be crystal clear. They say, come on, Rick, just chill. But you wouldn't like it either until you live with it half the year. And I was thinking that, Stacey, it's November through April six months, okay, so now I'm excited it's spring. Will I put white in my garden? Absolutely, because I love the color in my garden.
Speaker 3: So what's your favorite white flower you got in your garden?
Speaker 1: Well, i'll tell you what. What's loads of fun for me, and it's inexpensive. You get some moonflower.
Speaker 2: Seeds, yeah, fabulous.
Speaker 1: Plant them, they vine on some sort of fence and then when they bloom and the flowers just spiral open. Moonflower is one of my favorites. And another vine and some people could poo poo this, but sweet autumn clematis, I'm sorry. When that's in full bloom, I know it can be kind of invasive, but when that's in full bloom.
Speaker 3: Wow, pretty impressive and spells amazing as well.
Speaker 1: It's a stunner. We'll see what Stacy has on her mind for plants on trial. I'm going to assume it's a white blooming plant, but we'll see. That's coming up next. Here on the Gardening Simplified.
Speaker 3: Chip, beautify your home and community with proven Winner's Color Choice Shrubs with over three hundred and twenty five unique varieties to choose from. There's a flowering shrubber evergreen for every taste and every space. Just look for the distinctive white container your local garden center or learn more at proven Winner's Color Choice dot Com. You're Reading's Gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show, where we are talking about white flowers. And we've done a couple of different shows on specific flower colors, but I feel like white flowers are kind of like the back pocket solution to like any garden challenge, you know, like if you don't know what to do, if you know, does this color go with this color? You know, most of the time, if you pick a white flower something with silvery foliage, as we talked about, it's going to function to kind of help blend everything together. I mean, there are some exceptions, but usually a little bit of white in the garden is always welcome. And in my time in the industry here, I have been on dozens of different tours with landscapers, landscape designers and you know, gardeners, and I can tell you from some of the biggest, most elaborate and extravagant estates that I've ever seen, to you know, even just a regular nice home that has had a professional landscape design. If there is one secret that professional landscape designers have, it is using white flowers.
Speaker 1: I like that. And if you think about it, and you talk about designers, think about the interior of the house. You can have different colors in the room, but that classic white trim kind of, as you mentioned, ties and pulls everything together.
Speaker 3: It is yeah, And you know, I think that for landscape designers, they don't have to worry about offending anyone's delicate sensibilities with white, it looks good all of the time.
Speaker 2: It's just I.
Speaker 3: Cannot even tell you of seeing literally dozens and dozens of gardens around the country. White is the thing now in some places it's definitely way more popular than others. If you go down to Texas, like an evergreen landscape with some white accents is like everybody, everybody has that. But yeah, I mean it just always looks good. It looks good with any house color because so sometimes you know, different house colors can be very challenging to have, you know, to landscape, especially like the orange and red brick, and you know, white is something that you can always turn to and will always look great. So yes, of course, today's plant on trial is going to be a white flowered plant, and we have quite a few in nature that white flowers are actually very prominent and prevalent across many different genera of plants in our garden. But today's plant on trial, which is actually new at garden centers this year, is Oh So Easy ice Bay rose. Wow, and this is a big deal. So I'm just talking about it like, oh, it's just a white rose. This is the first ever white rose in the Oh So Easy series. Now we have introduced We've been offering oh So Easy roses in the proven Winner's line since well before I worked here, so I would say at least sixteen years we have been offering Oh So Easy roses and it is just now in twenty twenty five that we actually have a white Oh So Easy rose. And this may come as a surprise to our listeners, but in plant general or a different genus of plants, white is actually the hardest color to develop, and so it comes natural, you know, Like, try to find a viburnum with a flower color other than white, you you won't really be able to do it. Whereas with some plants, including roses, it is actually very difficult to develop a white variety that is vigorous and floriferous.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I love Oh So Easy roses because they're fantastic in the landscape as drifts. So if you can add a drift of white, wow, right, that is a deal.
Speaker 3: You know, This is what I've seen consistently with those landscapers. A nice hedge along the front of a home. Yeah, a drift, a specimen flanking the front porch. You really can't go wrong. But it literally did take us at least sixteen and if you count the you know, time and development, probably closer to twenty years to actually finally have a white rows in the Oh So Easy series. Now, the O So Easy series of landscape roses are all they're in that series because they are extremely disease resistant, so they're fluoriferous. They bloom all summer without dead heading. But forc something to be an o So easy rose, it really has to have the top of the line disease resistance, so not getting powdery meldew, not getting black spot, and it took us a really, really long time to find that so oh so easy Ice bay is that plant. I'm super excited that it is available at garden centers this year for the first time. It has some of I think the glossiest, darkest green foliage I have ever seen on any rows, which really just gives it that extra landscape star power. It looks absolutely amazing. The flowers are semi double, so when I say semi double, what that means is that there are multiple layers of petals, not just a single layer of petals. But you can still see the center of the of the flower. And that's really good if you want to tract pollinators, because if the pollinators can and if you can see the pollen, so can the pollinators, which means that they will then be attracted to that. Now, this is a plant that will bloom all summer long without any need to deadhead it, which is a good thing, and it is self cleaning, So if you're not familiar with that term, a self cleaning rose is simply a rose that as the flower starts to fade, the petals just kind of bust apart and fall on the ground themselves. This is an especially good thing in my opinion when it comes to white roses, because most white roses, we have to face facts, do not age gracefully. They turn brown and can look pretty gnarly. If they're not self cleaning, then you just kind of get this like big brown sad clump of petals nodding off of your plants. Whereas as a self cleaning rose, the paddles just shatter as the bloom ends. That makes it not a great cut flower, but it does make an excellent choice for the landscape.
Speaker 1: You're right about that. With a white flower, if it gets any kind of sort of blemish on it, yeah, it stands out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we definitely, I'm sure Adriana can attest. Photographing white flowers can be very challenging because, yeah, any any little one that starts to age, the brown really does show. You're not going to see this like from a distance in your garden. But when you really start getting in there and digging in, that's when you'll see it. So this is a very clean, very just nice looking, attractive rose that I think is a great problem solver. Now, like most roses, it is going to need full sun so that is a minimum of six hours of bright sunshine every single day, and that will give you the very best you know flower set as well as that best disease resistance. That's very important. Even though we test our plants to be resistant to disease, you know, there is a part of that of that exchange that depends on where you plant it and how you care for it. So that means you're going to plant it with good air circulation, You're going to follow proper spacing. It does reach two to three feet tall, and so you're going to want to put it more space, more on the two foot range if you are in a cooler climate, more on the three foot range if you're in a warmer climate. But proper spacing and good sunshine will do a whole lot to help you prevent that black spot and powdery mildew from from developing. Because they have good air circulation and the foliage will dry out quickly.
Speaker 1: And if you're keeping score at home, Stacy's talking about oh so easy ice bay rose, and I'm excited about this. What popped into my head, Stacey, was a was a marketing approach on this cool uh oh so easy ice base bay rose. It took us twenty years to get it white.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: I can see it on a bill.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: I am going to pass that along to our ad writers and we will give you credit for them. Sure, we would compensate you with a know so easy ice bay rose. But I know you, like me, have deer, yes, and yes, Unfortunately the deer do you love this much to anyone's surprise because it is thorny, But the deer still do love it?
Speaker 2: Now? Really cool.
Speaker 3: Other thing about this plant hardy down to USDA Zone three heat tolerant through USDA Zone nine.
Speaker 1: That's cold, that's hot.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean that basically means that like ninety some percent of this country can grow so easy ice bay rose, which is very cool. That two to three feet tall and wide size, very useful for like a low hedge. You really this is not a plant that you can overdo, so I think it kind of is really only limited by your imagination. So if you want to use it as an edging in a landscape, it works really well that way. If you want to just add it to a flower garden, if you want to plant a big block of it, like you were talking about Rick in drifts, just very very versatile. And you will see too with that foliage and Adrian Animals show pictures of it in the YouTube version, so you can check us out there. Just the foliage is just so unbelievably glossy, and that is actually a characteristic that is strongly correlated with disease resistance, yes, because it means it has a thicker cuticle and then is less likely to encourage the funngal leaf spots and so forth to develop on that plant. So it's a special plant. I'm super excited that it is going to be finally in garden centers. So if you've been thinking about adding a rose and you don't know which one you want and you just want a classic choice, oh so easy ice Bay is definitely a good one, Rick, I know you were talking about reminiscent Crama rose. That one is also a great choice that is going to be more fragrant, but it's going to have more of a hybrid t type look, taller, bulkier, fuller flowers. Where is Oh So easy? Ice Bay is really a workaday landscape rose that you can put, you know, like you would any other landscape shrub and enjoy summer's summer flowers and enjoy flowers all summer long. So please do look for that at your garden center this season as you go about your landscape shopping. We're going to take a little bit of a break. When we come back, We've got the garden mail bag to open, so stay tuned. At proven Winner's Color Choice Shrubs. We know that a better landscape starts with a better shrub. Our team of experts tests and evaluates all of our flowering shrubs and evergreens for eight to ten years to ensure they outperform what's already on the market. For easycare, reliable, beautiful shrubs to accentuate your home and express your personal style. Look for Proven Winner's Shrubs in the distinctive white container at your local garden center or learn more at proven Winner's Color Choice dot com. Reading's gardening friends and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show, where it is time for us to answer your gardening questions, quandaries and conundrums. And if you have one of those and you're sitting there scratching your head and you put the printers down and you don't know what to do next, you can certainly write to us at help HLP at Gardeningsimplified on are dot com, or just visit Gardeningsimplified on are dot com and write us there. Do get quite a lot of questions to the show, and not everyone is quite suitable for a quick little segment on radio here, but we do want to help you out, so you can write us there. But you can also write to Proven Winners Color Choice dot com or Proven Winners dot com and just click contact on both of those pages and you will get a personalized answer from a horticulturist so that you don't have to wonder anymore, because we want you to be successful. So we've been definitely getting quite a lot of questions, and I think that Elda's question today is a perfect way to start.
Speaker 1: Now, big, yeah, this is pretty cool, Elda writes to us. I really enjoy listening to you from France as I discover gardening in my new but old garden. Thank you, thank you, Elda. Elda writes, I planted six quickfire fab last autumn in twenty twenty four, is part of a hedge. I noticed in spring that a particular plant is planted too deep to crown, seen to be below the soil level. So I'm wondering, should I take it out now late April, do it this fall? If now I think it will slow down its flowering. If in autumn I think the roots will be even more disturbed because they would have extra six months to develop. Also, I consider doing nothing. But if the plant dies prematurely, then I'm back a few years in the hedge. Look, so what do you recommend?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I don't know exactly where in France Elda is and if it's super warm, but my general recommendation in these situations is make the correction sooner than later. And you know, because this plant was just planted this past fall, it's not going to be rooted in super deeply. You know, it's really only had you know what, six eight months or something like that to grow. And really, you know, after a plant is planted, it's not like putting on a ton of roots. It's really kind of just especially in full, just kind of recovering and put on some root growth, but not a lot. And so I would say, unless you are in a very very warm part of France, now would be the perfect time to go ahead and make that correction. I agree with you, Elda, that if you wait until fall and you give the plant an extra six months of root growth, it's just going to be harder on you and on the plant. And I don't really think that it will mess up the flowering very much because I don't think you're really going to disturb a whole lot of roots, to tell you the truth, since it was just planted. And even if it does, you know, somewhat impact the flowering. Yeah, that's disappointed. But this is definitely a situation where a tiny bit of short term pain is definitely going to be worth it for the long term gain. So I'm saying, put it on clear your schedule and get that done as soon as possible.
Speaker 1: And kudos to Elda for being observant and looking at things like this. I think that that's great. I see London, I see France, I see problems with your plants. You may use that one, Elda, if you'd like Genie writes to us, how, Hello, Rick and Stacey. I planted several Japanese maples last fall. I was very excited to see the new leaves butting out for spring, But on closer examination, I noticed something else. They were these very tiny black bugs all over the tree. Oh yeah, especially on the undersides of the leaves. Oh yeah, classic case. All four of my Japanese maple trees were infested with them. Can you please help identify? Do I need to be concerned? If they are bad? Pass? How do I get rid of them? Naturally? Please help?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: So I so there are pictures, and of course you'll see these in the YouTube version of the show, so you can check it out over there, unless your squeamished don't like pictures of bugs, which you know, I get. I actually do like pictures of bugs. These are aphids, and you know aphids. So we had a question last week about aphids, and I wanted to make sure that we answered Genie's question now because spring is aphed season. Yep aphids adore the soft growth that's coming out right now, and you know, I think a lot of people, most gardeners have had to deal with aphids at some point or another, especially if they grow roses or spiria or something like that. But I don't think a lot of gardeners realize that aphids are masters of disguise in the garden. There it is very difficult to generalize about what aphids look like because they have a huge range of different forms that they can take on. Some of them are going to be that really classic green aphid, and some of them are going to be like this where they just look kind of almost like a little miniature beetle or something and chameleons. Yeah, yeah, And so they're dark black, they look kind of hard, and they're really concentrated around the foliage. But you got to think about a maple, there's just so much sweet and sticky nectar there. This is like prime time for those aphids to hunker down and start feeding from your plants. So definitely all very characteristic of aphids. Fortunately, aphids are overall a pretty easy pest to manage, if they indeed even need management. In my opinion, you know, there's I definitely tolerate a lot of aphids because you know, in an extreme case, on something like a rose, they can cause some kind of drooping as they suck the juices out. But by and large, the biggest threat to aphids, of course, is the mold that grows on their excrement. If that's around. Yeah, the honey, honey.
Speaker 1: Their bark is worse than their bite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, But people freak out when they see them, especially you know, Japanese maples are not usually the cheapest of trees, so you're are right to be concerned about your investment. So I believe, as I advised our listener last week who had aphids on an ice ballet Esclepius, I would just go out there and just kind of, you know, rinse them off and rub the insects. They're very soft bodied, so it's very easy to just get rid of them. I don't think you really even need to use any kind of pestis. But you had mentioned an insecticidal soap last time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would recommend insecticidle So but you make a good point here, Stacey, and that is, if you're going to go through the trouble of that, do it when the air is calm, and you have to get the undersides of the leaves too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to really get in there, and you'll see in the pictures that Genie sent that the you know, Japanese maples, they have very intricate leaves, so a lot of surface area in there for those little aphids to kind of hide out. So I really think that trying to apply something is going to be difficult. So I would either tolerate them or just try to rinse them squish them off the best that you can. But overall, the other thing you can do is what I recommended to that listener was the ladybugs. Yeah, you can get ladybugs at most garden centers or order them online delivered to your house. And if you release these ladybugs, hungry ladybugs who have just arrived by mail onto a plant that has aphids, they will make very short work of them for you.
Speaker 1: Heather has an important question. Hello from British Columbia, Canada. By the way, I love British Columbia. I've been there a number of times. What a beautiful place. I recently found your podcast and I am already a huge fan. Thank you so much for the wealth of information you've provided to this new gardener. I planted several plants roughly two to three feet from where the natural gas line runs on my property. While many of them have shallow root systems, others I've second guessed myself conflower, Redbeccia, Latrus, agastaki, and others. Is this safe or should I move them? Asap am I doomed to only plant low growing groundcovers in these areas.
Speaker 3: Great question, Heather, and very timely too, so the first thing that I would recommend. I did search about this a little bit, and generally speaking, it seems like most utility companies are okay with planting near gas line as long as you're not planting a tree, and trees have very different systems than anything else. You know, they get those big, long, stabilizing roots. Those can be very disruptive to sidewalks and all of that. Where perennials in most shrubs, it's not really going to be an issue. They don't put on that type of root system. Different utility systems do have different guidelines about this, So you might want to call your local gas company.
Speaker 2: Don't worry.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're gonna say get those plants out of the ground right now. They're gonna tell you like, okay, you can be this many you know meters or whatever from the gas line. I don't think they're gonna that you're gonna get in trouble or have to dig up what you grow. But I did want to mention, especially you know here in spring, when a lot of people are setting out to do outdoor projects, it is a good idea if you can to call and have your utilities marked. I believe you can call eight one to one. So you can call eight one to one and they will come out and mark your uh mark the lines for you so the till you are the cable, the guess, the electricity, the sewer, the water, all of that is. And they'll do that free because they don't want their lines to be damaged anymore than you want to damage them. And so it's a good idea. And once you do that once you know, for myself, I had it done shortly after I moved into my house and I just took pictures, you know, of where everything was, and you know, so it's not really I know and I know that I'm never going to plant anything, you know that's going to threaten those lines, because once I fund out where they were, it was like, yeah, I'm not planting in that area, So it is.
Speaker 1: It eight, I'm not sure about Canada.
Speaker 3: Now, Canada may be a different situation, but certainly for our viewers in the US, our listeners do call eight one one first. It's a free service. They do need some advanced notice, but especially if you're thinking about putting in a tree, it's a simple and fast way to just make sure you would continue to do more good than harm.
Speaker 1: In British Columbia, click before youdig dot com. So there's a one eight hundred number, all.
Speaker 3: Right, So there you have it. No matter where you are, we've got you covered. We're going to take a little break. When we come back, we're going to talk about more of our favorite white flowers, so please stay tuned. Thanks for listening to the Gardening Simplified Podcast, brought to you by Proven Winners Color Choice Shrubs. Our award winning flowering shrubs and evergreens are trialed and tested by experts with your success in mind. Learn more at Proven Winners color Choice dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show today for branching news, Let's go down the list give you some ideas of some white flowers that both Stacy and I enjoy in the landscape. Stacy there's a annual called Biden's Campfire Marshmallow. Love that thing. I had mentioned moonflowers and then of course implants on trial. You talked about roses in your right talk about classic white color in the landscape. For me, it's pa andies.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, penies are pretty great.
Speaker 1: Oh, when you're talking about white flowers in the garden, I mentioned sweet autumn clematis. Another fall bloomer that I love. Are the fall blooming anemones.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Generally you'll find them in pink or mauve, but you can get white ones and boy are they stunning white Dutch iris. So you would plant those in fall. It's a bulb iris and when they come up and spring that white color. Again I mentioned in segment one, I love that white and lime green or white and yellow combination. You'll find that with many tulip bulbs. Also, you can find varieties that have that classic color. Now, if you're looking to add spots of white in your landscape and planting some annuals, Stacy, I know I've mentioned it before, but I'm just such a huge fan of diamond frost.
Speaker 3: You for you, ah, you know that is an all purpose plant. Well, maybe not quite all purpose. But I will tell you when I have been I usually put my containers together in the garden center. You know, I always have some things I like to get, but you know you can't count on it. Things are you know, they change their inventory, your things sell out or whatever, and so a lot of times I'll have this vision and I won't be able to find like the exact right thing to kind of marry everything together. Well, you know what, there is always diamond frost. It goes with literally every color, and it just if you if you aren't familiar with this plant, it's it's a little bit hard to describe, but it is almost like a little just puff of mist. The flowers are very very small, So I think if you know what Euphorbia is, you might be like, whoa euphorbia? This is very delicate, almost wiry stems, just little tiny tufts of white and green flowers at the ends of each of these stems. And yeah, it is the perfect filler for a container. And it can marry together any color. So if you've gone, you know, crazy on your on your colors and your containers, just introducing some diamond frosts here and there will just kind of again bring everything together and create that cocie.
Speaker 1: Agree. I've mentioned it on the show before that if you're doing an outdoor wedding, my daughter Stacy, we used a lot of diamond frost Euphorbia. It was fabulous for an outdoor wedding. Hippo white hypostes O folka dot plant.
Speaker 3: I use that in my front where I have a lot of shade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course kalladiums. There are many white leafed kalladiums that are beautiful. The Heart to Heart series with proven winners. They have snow Flurry, White Wonder, White, Star Heart, all Beautiful, Stacy, Incredible Smooth high Drains.
Speaker 3: Classic classic choice, and now we have Incredible Stormproof, which is actually going to be officially on the market next year, so that's going to be a smaller version of Incredible with even sturdier stems. And then we also have in vincepell Wee White, So if you're looking for something smaller still, we've got that one. So you can kind of get this plant in any size that suits your landscape and your goals.
Speaker 1: You know, one of my favorite classic white flowers in the landscape has got to be oak leaf hydrange Oh, for sure, and I don't have it in my landscape, but have read about it. Gatsby Moon.
Speaker 3: Oh, Gatsby Moon is a very cool plant. So that is a mophead oak leaf hydrange Okay, so most oak leaf hydrangees are going to be lace capin and expose the fertile florettes to pollinators. Gatsby Moon is a mophead and the flowers are very, very densely packed together. So if attracting pollinators is important to you, Gatsby Moon may not be the best choice. But if you want that big, showy, unforgettable flower, Gatsby Moon is absolutely gorgeous, really cool plant.
Speaker 1: Well that's great. A lot of people like Namesia in their landscape because of the delicate flowers. There's Sunsatia coconut that would be a great addition of white to your landscape. The Cora white vinkas the boy. You're gonna have to help me, hear Stacey.
Speaker 2: Is that kathran Catheranthus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Catheranthus right, yeah, So it's the thing, you know, these can handle hot sun, a wonderful flowering annual coral white. And then of course I mentioned the mini vista white supertunias. I think that if you want to put a blast of color in your landscape, mini vista supertunias are ideal and so easy to grow. Now Chardonnay pearls or Yuki snowflake.
Speaker 2: Dutsia yep, classic choice right there.
Speaker 1: Talk about a great plant for a drift.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, And that is an excellent plant as a groundcover, shrub or for stabilizing a slope or anything like that. You know when you were listing those annuals, but you missed one of my favorites, and it's not the best known, but it is one that I rely on anytime I can find it, which is unfortunately not every year, and that is the white browolia.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I love that plant, right Stacey.
Speaker 1: And we always had difficulty selling it in the garden center only because it hasn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because people don't know, but it is I think that a lark. A lot of garden centers have had trouble selling it, and that's why it's hard to find now. But this is such a problem solving annual because it is very shade tolerant and blooms well in the shade, and it is deer resistant.
Speaker 2: And I will tell you.
Speaker 3: Almost every other annual that I have tried on my front porch that is shade tolerant. The deer just devour, but not the Burwellia. And that not only does that come in white, and it comes into a beautiful blue. So I usually get both of those and use them on my front porch if I can find them. And yeah, I think that's a plant that just you know, has so much to offer people who have really challenging conditions, and it is gorgeous and white.
Speaker 2: I really really love it.
Speaker 3: Sorry, anyone, garden centers are listening, and you have some to sell, reach out to me because I usually can't find them.
Speaker 1: Sweet Spider, it tea Flirty Girl false high drange. I love the white blooms on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know I love that too. And Florida Girl is a special plant because it blooms earlier in its life cycle than other climbing hydranges. And you know talking about false hydrange of vines also formerly known as sky'safragma, but now reclassified into hydrangea. Goodness, yes, exactly. There is one variety. It's not a proven winner's variety, but it is so special. It is actually called Moonlight and it has gorgeous silver and green foliage. It does flower, and the flowers are white and very pretty, but the foliage on this thing is just stunning. It really really is a special plant, and that silver in its leaves really will stand out even at night. So between the flowers and that foliage, a great choice if you have a special tree or something like that that you want to grow a vine up that's not going to be problematic but still bring you all of that magic.
Speaker 1: Very nice. Other white bloomers that I would consider would be bottle brush shrub. We've talked about it on the show often, June berries or service berries, and spring The white flowers, in my mind, are just gorgeous, happy face white potentilla, and of course a double file of viburnums, the viburnum placatums. You have wabi sabi.
Speaker 3: So wabi sabi we used to have. We actually dropped wabi sabi in favor of steady Eddie. That's right, because steadi Eddi's reblooming. And when I say steati Eddi is a reblooming viburnum, I don't just mean like it peters out a couple more flowers later in the season. This thing is a powerhouse. You really can barely tell the difference between its initial bloom late in spring and it's rebloom through the summer. It is really one of the most impressive rebloomers I have ever seen. I was tempted to make it a plant on trial, but I love it so much I already had, so I had to find something different.
Speaker 1: So that makes Steady Eddie a perfect choice if you want to add white flowers to your landscape, Stacy, I love the look of Kusa dogwoods when bloom.
Speaker 2: Yes, such a great plant.
Speaker 1: Chantilly lace, the runcus or goats beard great. And then of course there will be people out there saying, you gotta mention Shasta daisy.
Speaker 2: Oh, like, yeah, of course you do.
Speaker 1: There's so many great.
Speaker 2: Casa Daisy's are such a classic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kali lilies. And then of course I love Scavola Beautiful annual for hot conditions. The Star Diva series this year, and there is a Star Diva white along with the unplugged white salvia. And again, combining white with blue in the landscape really has a cooling effect.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what I do on my front porch. Well, when I can find the Brouellia. I have some really beautiful royal blue containers and one white footed urn, so I put the white flowers in the blue containers, the blue flowers and the white containers, so I like it. It's a great combination.
Speaker 1: Another flowering annual angel face white improved angelonia a great plant, and I would recommend you check out some of the recipes at provenwinters dot com for ideas with white flowers. Of course, white bleeding hearts, and then of course your foam flowers like cutting edge and then finally stacy as we get laid into the season. I love that classic white look in ornamental kales and ornamental.
Speaker 3: Cap and that's a fun one for sure. Yeah. I love the foam flowers. I actually like the foam flowers and the foamy bells more than ukrawe just because I mean, Hugrew is beautiful, but I love the kind of more rusticky look of the foam flowers in foamy bells, whereas the hugar are really shiny and refined. I like these a little more rougher on the edges.
Speaker 1: That's gorgeous. Well, you know, lots of choices if you want to add white to your landscape. And why not. It's a classic approach to your landscape.
Speaker 3: It is, indeed, and I hope that gave you some inspiration for planting this season as you head out to the garden center. So thank you Rick for that amazing list of plant suggestions, thank you Adriana for your talent behind the camera and soundboard as always, and thanks so much to all of you for listening and watching. We truly do appreciate it and hope you have a wonderful weegad