Speaker 1: Callaroga Shock Media.
Speaker 2: Hey there, Shane Gillis crushed it. Hi. I'm Johnny Mack with your daily comedy news. I will do the late night stuff tomorrow instead of the usual Friday, because I really want to cover this Shane stuff. I thought he was fantastic. There are some mixed reviews on the internet, which we will discuss here, but I think it's the number two comedy thing of the year. That Mark Twain Conan O'Brien thing is number one, But Shane's monologue here fantastic. Now understand the crowd. You've got a bunch of famous athletes who are you trying to act like their Hollywood And you can see the vibe is should we laugh at that? Or are we allowed to laugh at that? Yes, laugh at it. It's funny. Got a bunch of clips for you. Let's start with the political material. You're Shane Gillis discussing the news of the week.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump wants to stage a UFC fight on the White House lawn. The last time he staged a fight in DC, Mike Pens almost died. You don't have to do that. Who's fine. I didn't write it. Actually, there was supposed to be an Epstein joke here.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 3: As it got deleted, must have probably deleted itself, right, probably never existed. Actually, let's move on as a country and ignore that.
Speaker 2: Uh all right, that's very very funny. Come on, everybody, lighten up here. In this next clip, Shane kind of loses the crowd with a very solid Shadoor Sanders joke that's not for nothing on point. Then in the second half, Shane it reminds me of Letterman or maybe even Carson on a night where Johnny Carson knew that the monologue wasn't quite working, but he would win the crowd over by almost switching to the audience's side, going yeah, I know these jokes are bad, but let's just roll with it. Can you hear Shane shift gears here? And I think he nailed it. And there's two jokes about Kaitlyn Clark in this segment. I'll play the first joke about Kaitlyn Clark, which is a home run joke. You people need to lighten up.
Speaker 3: Snorg Sanders had his jersey number retired at Colorado this year, and people are saying it's because of nepotism, because of his father, and it's not it's because he went thirteen to twelve over his career and he almost won the Alamo Bowl. Definitely not nepotism, right, all right, it's a big year for the WNBA. I love Kaitlyn Clark. Kate Yeah, hell yeah, same man, Kaitlyn Clark. She and I have a lot in common. We're both whites from the Midwest who have nailed a bunch of threes.
Speaker 2: And here's the second Caitlyn Clark joke. This one sourced from Better Audio, and this one seems to have people in a little kerfluffle.
Speaker 3: When Caitlyn Clark retires from the WNBA, she's going to work at a waffle house so she can continue doing what she loves most, fist fighting black women.
Speaker 2: The setup for this next clip, we're rolling out of a show. Hey Otani joke. If you're not into sports, there was a whole betting thing in the Otani universe a few years back. So that's the setup into this joke. And I won't spoil where it's heading, but it's solid.
Speaker 3: Picture. Hitter and Bookie. A bookie is what Bill Belichick reads to his girlfriend before bedtime. They do. They read the very Horny Caterpillar The Little Engine that Could but needed a pill first, and of course the classic good Night Boobs. That's my favorite one. Also, I'm not trashing Bill Belichick. First off, he's seventy three years old. He's dating a hot twenty four year old and people are criticizing him. What happened to this country? He used to be a great country. He won six super Bowls. Yeah, he's dating a hot twenty four year old. Maybe if you guys won six super Bowls, you wouldn't be sitting next to a fat, ugly dog wife. They let me do it, I don't. This is Disney.
Speaker 2: They allowed that, and a nice move by Sheen here at the end. I don't think the audience had any idea what he was doing here, which is why it went flat. But this is a tribute to Norm MacDonald. I shared that joke the other day Norm McDonald at the sb's and I think this is word for word what Norm said, but here it is performs by Shane Gillis.
Speaker 1: There's one thing I want to say before I get out of here, and this is a dumb joke. You guys aren't even like it, buddy, it was It's just a Norm McDonald joke that I loved Dwen Eos to the SBS. I'm gonna do it now. Travis Hunter won the Heisman Trophy this year.
Speaker 3: He's the first defensive player since Charles Woodson to win the Heisman. Congratulations Travis Hunter winning the Heisman. That's something they could never take away from you. How you kill your wife and a waiter, in which case they could take that away from you. Well, see a lot of you don't like me, and that's.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay. If you listen to this podcast, you're probably some sort of comedy fan. You've heard the jokes. What did you think? Pretty good? Now, well, let's look at the reviews from People Magazine. Shane Killis struggles for laughs in twenty twenty five SP's monologue as he mocksim Owned Biles Comma Jordan Hudson. Some crowd members booed as Gillis struggled through his sb's monologue, telling the crowd at one point to lighten up. I think I have that clip. We will get to it. The controversial comedian again with that? What is he controversial for? For the SNL thing? How many years ago?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: I got news for everybody. Shane Gillis has arrived. Shane Gillis is super popular. You can keep writing controversial in your articles because everyone else is writing that. But Shane Gillis has arrived. The controversial comedian thirty seven, who hosted Saturday Night Live in March, took to the state blah blah blah, but largely Gillis's performance appeared to fall flat. At one point, several crowd members booed from the mezzanine, and another point, the comedian defended a joke that didn't land by saying, I didn't write it. That's just a comedy move. Relax, Relax, it's an award show. USA Today headline Kaitlin Clark jokes during Shane Gillis sb's monologue met with mixed reactions, as Shane said, line up a little, it's not serious. Awful, announcing reports that the monologue didn't go over well with former ESPN reporter Sarah Spain. Apparently on social media, Sarah wrote, in a year of crazy growth for women's sports, choosing an sb's host who doesn't even try to make clever jokes about women athletes, he at least attempted for the men he goes with Hackey, no one knows the WNBA bits. Okay, you want to go there and say it's hacke to say nobody knows the WNBA. Here's Shane Gillis, four.
Speaker 3: Time WNBA All Star, Britney Hicks is here. Give it up for Brittany, everybody, I'm uh, I'm joking around. That's my friend's wife. I knew none of you knew WNBA players.
Speaker 4: That's crazy. You clap for that, uh boy? Four time All Star, four time All Star. Brittany Hicks got a big ovation there. Too bad she doesn't exist. The woman that was shown on camera is the wife of Matt McCusker. As for the quote drawing jeers from the balcony, I believe this is the clip. The first word here in the clip I'm gonna share is his upcut is what we call in the industry.
Speaker 2: He's talking about Joe Rogan. So if you're like, what was that first word, the first word is Rogan.
Speaker 3: Brogan actually wanted me to be here to host this award show so that I could capture Adam Silver because Joe thinks he's an alien, and Donald Trump wanted me to be here to capture Juan Soto for the same reason.
Speaker 2: It's an alien joke.
Speaker 3: You bowed up there, dude.
Speaker 2: Shut up. From pajeeba dot com, Shane Gillis bombed as host of the SBS, Dustin Rolls writes, I am not a fan of Shane Gillis for political reasons. His politics are garbage. I don't like bro humor or racist jokes. And he's an albeit somewhat still smarter than Joe Rogan. But that's not why Shane Gillis is a bad comedian. He's a bad comedian because he has no idea how to tell a joke. Oh, you're wrong. He knows how to tell a joke. He knows how to work a room. His body language tells you that we're all just having a good time. His body language tells you these are just jokes. Lighten up. Dustin Rolls in Pajeeba, who writes Gillis doesn't know how to play to a crowd unless they're already on his side. He folds in front of a neutral audience and flat out crumbles in front of a hostile one. He lacks timing, confidence and basic delivery skills, qualities that separate actual comedians from hacks yelling crappy punchlines into a void. Dustin, I suggest you go and watch some Johnny Carson monologues. When Johnny is quote unquote bombing, those are his best performances, and I see that in sane. Yes, I just compared Shane Giles to Johnny Carson. Write it down. Dustin Rolls writes, that's why both of his Saturday Night Live monologues bombed, and like a true hack, he blamed the audience. I'm sure he'll do it again after face planning as host of the SP's because once again he bombed. It wasn't just the material, though, yes, the material is bad. The guy can't land a joke. He stutters, he second guesses, he telegraphs the flop before the punchline even arrives. Say what you want about Ricky Gervais and his garbage, transphobic bits. At least he delivers them with the confidence of a garbage, transphobic white guy. Gillis. Meanwhile, the flex blame to his writers or throws up a red flag before the joke with a meek You're not gonna like this one. No, Shane, A room full of professional athletes probably isn't going to laugh about the President deporting one of them. That's the one Soto choke, one grown one boo, and his confidence shatters. Michael Jay he thrives off that energy. Gill Us, he flinches. Even his rare decent line he had won about his Epstein joke being deleted was mangled in delivery. And when a joke actually lands, like as Caitlin Clark bit the one with the punchline Bunch of threes, he scolds the audience for not laughing more. Now, look, I know he idolizes Norm MacDonald, but aping Norm's material and rushing through it like you're trying to get off stage doesn't make you Norm. What are you talking about, dude? Norms deadpan, misfires, classes and comedic subversion. Gillis just bombs, shrugs, and says, well, I see a lot of people here don't like me, and that's okay. I think this is best summed up by The New York Post saw somebody in social media who wrote, if you were offended by Shane Gillis's sb's monolog, I can assure you that no one likes to hang around you. Amen. All right, let me get out the machete because I'm already long here. I just get two good stories, all right, But I got to get to Pete Davidson on gossip Corner. TMZ reports Pete Davidson and girlfriend Elsie Hewitt are expecting their first baby together. Back in March, People reported that Elsie and Pete were seen on a date in Palm Beach. They were seen swimming in the ocean and sharing a smooch in the water. In May, a source told People Pete and Nelsie had been living together in New York for the past few months. They're splitting their time between Pete's house and Upstate New York and a brownstone they recently started renting in Brooklyn. They're so happy together and doing great well. We will get confirmation directly from Pete Davidson. I guess he will be the guest on The Tonight Show. On Tuesday, July twenty second now, Elsie Hewitt posted on Instagram, well now everybody knows we had sex and captioned a collection of photo that included herself, Pete Davidson, and a sonogram. Pete Davidson is not on social media these days. Pete is out promoting his new horror film The Home, which is out on July twenty fifth, So we'll be hearing a lot from Pete Davidson in upcoming days. While we're on Gossip Corner, Adam Sandler and famous Hollywood actress Sonny Sandler were seen in Cranford, New Jersey. Apparent lay crew from Happy Medicine Productions were set up in a parking lot in Westfield, New Jersey, where on stage theater camp is taking place, and some of the campers were excited that filming was taking place in a house near their own rehearsals. A nice thirteen year old young lady, her mom, and some friends decided to follow the signs from base camp to the set. The young lady said, we were just chilling on the sidewalk with like me and ten other people maybe, and we just kind of waited there until they called for lunch. And then outside one of the houses, Adam Sandler like just out and everybody started freaking out. Then he came and he took someone's phone and he took a group picture with all of us. Famous actress Sonny Sandler, who started in you were so not invited to my bot. Mitzvagh also came out and signed the things for her fans, and we are now one week away from Happy Gilmore too. I may have to leave the country. I mean, I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to put up with a week of Adam Sandler press, especially if people are pretending that Adam Sandler comedies are good. No word yet on Happy Gilmore two, no buzz. Meanwhile, the Naked Gun people are putting everybody out there letting you know that's good. I'll get into that in a couple of days. But the buzz on Naked Gun is really strong. The buzz on Happy Gilmore two and Adam Sandler comedy I'm not hearing any. So Happy Gilmore Two's out Friday the twenty fifth. Reports our Netflix is taking Happy Gilmore one off Netflix on July thirty first, So get your Happy Gilmore in while you still can. We're another way to look at it is the universe will be slightly better in August that it wasn't July. I mean, yeah, I Veer does. His new special is out on Netflix today, this one called Fool Volume and on substack. W Kamala Bell has a substack, so do I. There's a link to mine in the show notes. Actually I started a second one. I haven't talked about it on here. I started a second one called Daily Comedy News, and it's basically the show notes for this show. I think if you listen to me every day, honestly, you don't need to subscribe to that substack. I'm doing that to try and get more people in by using the substack engine and embedding the show. But if you listen to me every day, you really don't need to subscribe to that one. But my one called media Thoughts, you may want to subscribe to that anyway on substack. W kamal Bell this spoke to me. I even commented that it spoke to me, and I got a thumbs up from Comel Back. He wrote in New York City with my fourteen year old, teaching her the difference between a corner store, a convenience store, a drug store, and a badega. That speaks to me. Boy, we are long again. Remember those two weeks where there was nothing to talk about? And this week is all twenty minute episode. I already recorded Sunday Sunday Strong. Saturday is going to be strong, and I can tell you as we're quote unquote live here. I've bumped up couple things that are going to go into Monday, so Monday is going to be strong as well. As you're listening on Friday. Hopefully I'm at the beach. That was the plan because I can't go to the beach this weekend, and the forecast was nice for today, so hopefully I'm out there somewhere not recording podcast. No offense. Now I'm trying to tell you what's at just for laughs tonight. New owners, you got to make it easier to sort the website by date. The only way I seem to be able to do that is to go into pretending I'm buying tickets. Okay. As I pointed out before, they're doing plenty of French language shows, which I think is a fantastic but as an English language podcast, I will focus on the English language ones. At seven o'clock, the Nightly Culture Show. Also at seven o'clock Best of the Fest, eight thirty the Montreal Show hosted by Ava Alexa. Guessing that is local comedians. Again, because I'm on the ticket website and can't click. You guys had this, the previous owners had this a little better. Not for nothing, I can't even forget how to search for it. I'll assume it's local Montreal comedians, another Montreal show at ten o'clock in, another Nasty show at eleven fifty nine, and midnight Surprise at eleven to fifty nine. If you were new to the festival or airline industry, you don't schedule things at twelve zero zero because people get confused as to what that means. AMPM, Is it today? Is it tomorrow? So you either do things at eleven fifty nine or twelve oh one. So that's why the eleven fifty nine shows, it's just a lot more clear. We all understand what Friday means sometimes, so I go, hey, let's go on Friday night and meet you at midnight. That could get wonky. It's eleven fifty nine. I have looked ahead. Believe me, this is really going to pick up. I was prepping for next week because I may leave the country if they're going to put out an Adam Sandler movie. So I wanted to record some shows before I abandon y'all. So I was looking at the schedule for next week, and it's it's strong. In other news, the Daily Friday podcast covers all the news you'd ever want to share in a group chat with your buddies in a funny and lighthearted way, hosted by La comedian Jack Lawler, who breaks down all the news from the week every Friday. This is not a commercial, This is a news item. So if you want to check out the Daily Friday podcast, that's the thing that exists. This weekend, the Red Skelton Museum of American Comedy is inviting fans to a weekend full of laughter and nostalgia. It is the second annual Red Skelton Comedy Convention in Vincenne's. This year's theme, Clem Goes to Hooterville, celebrates rural comedy. Activities include guided bus tours of Red Skelton's hometown, landmarks, film screenings, guest talks, and the twentieth annual Red Skelton Shrine and Clown Parade through downtown Saturday at eleven. Comedian Bob Nelson will perform Saturday night at seven point thirty, and Pratt, who's the executive director of the Red Skelton Museum, said, not as many people got to see Bob Nelson last year as I really wish could have, because he's so funny. A meaning tire place was literally laughing, so our stomach's hurt. He's that funny kind of reminds you of Read Skelton. Any Great Comedy Outdoor Festival hits Edmonton this weekend and Kinsman's Park. This year's lineup includes Martin Short, kameiln on Gianni, and Fortune Fiemester No website. Edifhi Edmonton caught up with park ranger Donovan, who was offering a preview of what to expect. Ediphi was curious what does Donovan do as the park ranger. Donovan said, I personally welcome everybody at the gate. Then I go through the park before the event, make sure everybody's happy and answer questions. After that, I go on stage, make some jokes and do all the housekeeping before the show starts. Then at the end of the night, I pop out of the gates again and I thank every single person for coming to the show and hope to see them next year. He has a raccoon companion named Rudy. Donovan explains, I'm a really nice guy, but Rudy can say terrible, rude things. I wonder if that's his name. Rudy is the Great Outdoors Comedy Festival at Mascot and I'm miss Handler, so we're like Yogi Bear and the park Ranger. However, Rudy doesn't come out all the time because sometimes when people get a little drunk they get handsy and I could take it, but Rudy can't. All right, park Ranger, what was your favorite moment from last year?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Oh, he's people gonna get mad at this. His answer was Shane Gill went on stage and was like, oh my god, I don't have a belt. My pants are gonna fall off. So I whipped out my belt, my shorts fell to the ground, and I gave Sen Gillis my belt so you could perform. At the end of the night, he rolled it up very nicely with a little note that said, thank you so much for saving the day. And that is your comedy news for today. Lots more tomorrow see then.